BioShock PC

8.5

1. Oct 8, 2013
    Pretty standard FPS fare, little more than a watered-down (pun intended) System Shock 2, a visually outstanding but with an all too familiar story (Atlas is Polito, Fontaine is Shodan) and gameplay (security stations, turrets, cameras, Vita Chambers Quantum Bio Reconstruction Machines, etc.) overrated and over-hyped, but a decent shooter; nothing more.
  2. Jul 31, 2014
    Unfortunately, I was hyped for Bioshock to no end. The spiritual successor to one of the best games in history - System Shock, partly from the same creators. The expectations went through the roof, raving reviews, promo lines like System Shock on steroids, you get the idea. But when I started playing this I was like What??? What is this console shooter crap? Yes, the location is nice and IUnfortunately, I was hyped for Bioshock to no end. The spiritual successor to one of the best games in history - System Shock, partly from the same creators. The expectations went through the roof, raving reviews, promo lines like System Shock on steroids, you get the idea. But when I started playing this I was like What??? What is this console shooter crap? Yes, the location is nice and I always love the retro flavor, but other than that the entire thing was a huge disappointment for me. From visuals and engine, to enemies and game mechanics, disappointment was huge with this one. 5/10 Expand
  3. Apr 9, 2015
    A mediocre rail shooter with excellect graphics. Any comparisons to Deus Ex 1 or Deus Ex Human Revolution are way out of place. In Bioshock the levels are linear, and enemies appear at scripted events, sometimes from behind (hello, Doom 3). In Deus Ex (or Hitman before Absolution) you could plan different approaches to a level, use different tactics. Here you just follow the next waypoint.A mediocre rail shooter with excellect graphics. Any comparisons to Deus Ex 1 or Deus Ex Human Revolution are way out of place. In Bioshock the levels are linear, and enemies appear at scripted events, sometimes from behind (hello, Doom 3). In Deus Ex (or Hitman before Absolution) you could plan different approaches to a level, use different tactics. Here you just follow the next waypoint. And even if at some point you go back thru the places you've already cleared these places will again be full of enemies, or new ones will break thru a wall. You pick a shotgun - and hello Serious Sam: the screen goes black, and enemies run to you from the darkness from all directions. Hacking electronic devices is all about solving increasingly difficult "water pipes" puzzles which get annoying pretty fast. Also, levels are littered with trash and objects with which you can't interact. This makes spotting enemies, moving and finding loot difficult and doesn't make a more interesting game. Expand
  4. Apr 2, 2013
    Very good game and spiritual successor of system shock. Story and graphics style is awesome. Combat is fun thanks to the plasmids. Gameplay is something between System Shock 2 and Doom 3.
  5. May 12, 2013
    If you have ever played System Shock 2, you'll immediately notice the sumularities. From how plasmids are in a way exactly the same as the psionic powers, to the wrench as a melee weapon. It could have been equally good, if not better, but its recycled feeling and unprecise gunplay mechanics, it's a dragged down experience that easily makes for one of the most over rated games in history.
  6. Jul 18, 2015
    This game is hard to judge. It starts of pretty good with an interesting premise, world and game mechanics, but ultimately, it does not deliver, as it jumps to the levels of tediousness and mediocrity in all of these areas.

Premise: The story is told in a series of diaries that you have to find while exploring Rapture. It's pretty basic and most of the things you're gonna hear are not

Premise:
    The story is told in a series of diaries that you have to find while exploring Rapture. It's pretty basic and most of the things you're gonna hear are not important. Also, it's annoying that there's a diary around every corner, so you have to stop everywhere and listen to those tracks, it breaks the flow of the game play. In Deus Ex, I did not mind stopping at each and every computer and hacking everything because it was fun and you were rewarded with codes etc., here it's just redundant and boring.

World:
    To be honest, I am no sucker for underwater towns, so while I can appreciate the art direction and such, it is hard not to see that all areas are fairly similar and all of the enemies are just light variations, so you'll be going through the levels killing the same enemies over and over again.

The levels tend to be quite large and give you some room to explore which is something I like about this game, but ultimately ... there is not much to find. Yeah, you can find another Plasmid or Tonic here and there, but you'll find so many of these that they do not feel like unique upgrades. You'll have full equips and tons of spare ones that you're never going to use. Wouldn't it be better to have 5 actually usable ones that can be used all the time rather than having 15 or such out of which more than half is useless?

Game mechanics:
    The Little Sisters mechanic can get pretty annoying, as sometimes you have to wait a long time for them to appear and if they see you, they can climb back into the holes and you have to repeat the process over and over again which is not fun. Also, the choice is meaningless as saving the girls gives you much better stuff overall so there is not point in killing them.

Another problem is that in spite of having a large choice of ways to deal with enemies, using your weapons is a much more better choice rather than awkwardly trying to zap enemies (or using plasmids in general). Weapons are sure to kill. Especially your wrench. I practically use the wrench all the time and leave the guns for rare causes when wrench is not enough. The game even supports this style of game play by giving you wrench upgrades and limiting the ammo you can get. So, you'll be using a few weapons throughout the whole game and even though you have tons of other options to choose from, you will not use them, there is no reason to do so.

The hacking is quite nice, but gets tedious later on and sometimes the generated puzzle cannot be solved. Some more testing would have been nice.

What I actually like, though, is the fact that you can take photos of enemies to analyze them and get bonuses for doing so. It's fun trying to take photos, even though the enemies all look so similar that you can never be sure which you've already photographed.

Final verdict:
    Let's sum this up, this game tries to come up with a lot of ideas, such as unique plasmids, photography etc., but never goes anywhere with them. That means that the initial feeling of enthusiasm towards this game disappears and you're left with a game that's full of: walking through similar areas, fighting the same enemies over and over again and using like 3 weapons through the whole course of the game.
    Unfortunately, I got bored in like 1/3 through the game already, but I kept playing and that meant that all the faults and boredom became even more tedious. Right now, I've finished 50% of the game and I haven't had much fun with this.

I'll probably finish this game, but I highly doubt that my rating is gonna change, I'll update this review in case it does, though. 6/10

Edit: Okay, I beat the game.
    There was another part that I liked, Fort Frolic. The penultimate level was also quite interesting, because you had to work with Little Sisters, but it dragged on for way too long, because they walk too slow.
    The ending video is nice.

However, I have become so strong with my wrench that not even Big Daddies could damage me at this point with the Freeze upgrade + Health recovery, so the rest of the game was super easy. No interesting bosses, no interesting enemies, no interesting upgrades (only improved versions of the ones you have making the older one quite useless) ...

I didn't like the "plot twist" with Atlas and the areas revolving him, as it was obvious from the beginning that he was a bad guy. Would've been more interesting if they did something different.

The final boss was simply lame, I wrenched him in like 20 seconds.

So, in the end, it's still a decent game, but I am not changing my score of 6/10.
    Hopefully, Bioshock 2 will be better.
  7. Feb 29, 2016
    The Bioshock has surprised me a lot. I had heard before playing the game it has unique approach to creating the world and it really is astonishing like they managed to forge something so weird and fascinating at the same time.
  8. May 30, 2012
    Pros: Great story, relatively fun gameplay. Cons: Extremely easy, linear, simple. The gameplay itself is a linear FPS with few depth, and you get no penalty for dying. Overrated, but the game is still fun.
  9. Nov 19, 2013
    Single Player/Multi Player (2/2)

(If the single player is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no multplayer) (If the multiplayer is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no single player) Gameplay (1/2) Visuals/Story (2/2) (If the visuals are better than the story, review this section as if it had no story) (If the story is
    Single Player/Multi Player (2/2)

Gameplay (1/2)

Visuals/Story (2/2)

Accessibility/Longevity (1/2)

Pricing (1/2)

Wildcard (0)

10. Nov 22, 2015
    The beginning ist really great: atmosfere, the background, philosophy. But after 2-3 hours the game becomes average and you begin to see the weak sides of this game: you are immortal, bad controlling, few enemies, childish dialogues. there are much better shooter out there. But the end is a masterpiece of videogames: DO THE GOOD side and rescue the sisters, the end sequence is brilliant.
  11. Oct 10, 2011
    I usually avoid deep story driven games because my time is limited, and my memory is poor. Bioshock is a game that was suggested to me by a few friends, and had received critical praise, so I finally gave in. After an initial disaster with the Telekinesis plasmid almost made me quit, I stuck through the gameâ
  12. Sep 3, 2015
    When I first tried to play Bioshock it wont stop acting like a dole bludger, no matter what the game refused to work.
    And the steam overlay would not work for this game.
    When I finally got it to work the story is interesting with a sense of mystery and grabs you at first which is told uniquely by finding audio diaries and the unique, amazing, eerie underwater city atmosphere. But that
    And the steam overlay would not work for this game.

But that wears off after 10 hours of gameplay it becomes boring, repetitive, linear with set goals you have to follow to be able to progress and same repetitive enemies of splicers, Big Daddies, turrets and bots.

I found the end bit the most entertaining.

The game is also buggy and suffers from occasional screen freezing.
    An overrated, overhyped rather boring fps I don't reccomend wasting your time on this. It's not a terrible game, but it's not good either.

5/10 for the graphics/art unique atmosphere
  13. Jun 26, 2015
    - Good: Mood/Atmosphere, Art Direction, Audio
    - Mixed: Gameplay, Story, Writing, Setting
    - Bad: ---

Overrated game in my honest opinion, i rushed this game at the end because i was bored.
  14. Aug 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't get me wrong I liked this game. The Good: The Story was well done the atmosphere was good as well. Now for the bad: The ending(s) were terrible the gameplay got kinda repetitive half-way through. Overall i recommend it, but I think bioshock infinite was the best of the series. Expand
  15. Dec 9, 2012
    The story and setting are alright and when I first reviewed it here (said review since disappeared) I gave it an 8.

With time I've realised how dull and repetitive this game is (and also how much it depends on fetch quests) so I'm dropping it to a 4.
  16. Feb 22, 2015
    While Rapture is a marvelous backdrop that creates a great critique of Ayn Rand's Objectivism, the storyline is a bit shallow towards the end. The narrative builds up to a memorable plot twist, though the ending feels underwhelming. No meaningful plot points or themes are introduced after the twist, limiting the game to a series of empty shootouts leading to an uninspired final boss fight.While Rapture is a marvelous backdrop that creates a great critique of Ayn Rand's Objectivism, the storyline is a bit shallow towards the end. The narrative builds up to a memorable plot twist, though the ending feels underwhelming. No meaningful plot points or themes are introduced after the twist, limiting the game to a series of empty shootouts leading to an uninspired final boss fight. The story ends with a cliched double ending that’s determined by the moral decisions you have made in the game, though they are very black and white. Both endings are very expected and feel a bit too resolved.
    And though the gameplay mechanics were undoubtadly a blast (especially the plasmids!), the game was way too generous with revivals. You can never die/recieve a gameover in this game regardless of the difficulty. Whenever your character loses health, they are revived at a nearby Vita-Chamber. Because enemies retained the damage you inflicted on them, you can lose health as many times as you desire and still kill the enemies. With this in mind, I was able to kill the games strongest enemies by repeatedly whacking them with a wrench. Without any penalty for death, I lost my initial fears of the ominous environments and never felt pushed to play the game skillfuly. It broke the experience for me.
  17. Mar 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers. For its' time Bioshock must have been the best thing ever since sliced bread, however in a perspective of today, which was when I finished the game, the game feels as if the developers were too lazy to do some minor changes for the better. Ragdolls are not falling realisticly it's like watching a movie with 10 FPS, slowmotion and laggish like. But that isn't anything compared to the crashes that occur once in a while. Whenever the game crashes, then all the settings you changed will be reset to default, which I was very frustrated about. The gameplay was not the best, but that wasn't the meaning of the game, so that didn't bother me that much, it was okay and there are a lot of oppurtunities to deal with enemies. The graphics isn't something I will critize too much, it was decent nothing more than I was expecting. However the story was the bright point of the game, it was exciting and I really fell in love with it. Though I was so dissapointed in the ending, the game simply ends bad, if you just harvest 1 little sister. Through the whole game I made a mistake and harvested one of those girls and rest of them I rescued. How can I bring brutality when I saved all of them? The ending of the game simply can't make me give this game an earned 8, but a 5. I hope next game in the franchise will bring some more joy to me. Collapse
  18. Jun 21, 2016
    A very atmospheric first person shooter with an interesting story ,

A very atmospheric first person shooter with an interesting story ,

In game you are put in the shoes of a airplane crash survivor who finds himself in the middle of the ocean. Only to discover an entrence to an underwater city called Rapture. The city once glorious is now falling apart. It also is overrun by twisted for a lack of a better word mutants. You are led by a voice on the radio following his advice in a hope to escape the city without dying. In order to do that you use a wide array of weapons with aid from Adam - a genetic rewriting fluid that essentially gives you magic powers.

What I liked about the game. Definitely the setting - Rapture is extremely well designed with a very unique and constant atmospehre which holds out through the whole game. The enemy design is interesting and fits the setting. All locations, missions and progress make sense and push the story ever forward. Ammo is scarce - you value each shot and try to save every bullet as much as you can - which adds to the atmosphere. The big daddy's are pretty scary and first encounter with them is really unforgeable.

What I didn't like was definitely the combat design. Enemies run around what feels like frantically around and are extremely hard to hit. What others might consider a plus it felt more annoying than anything else. Also all of them seem pretty tanky so you need to put a lot of bullets to put them down. Another thing I disliked was the camera mechanic - having to take pictures of enemies to learn their weaknesses might be a good idea but in a game where stealth is next to not existent having to take pictures of enemies in the middle of gunfight is a bit silly.

Overall I really did enjoy the game and can recommend it mostly for the ambience and atmosphere it comes with.
  19. Nov 7, 2010
    I'm glad I bought this for only $5 on Steam. Any more than that and I would have felt ripped off. Great graphics, theme, setting and all but the game was just too repetitive and boring. It reminded me of an old arcade game but with a bit more depth added to it. Lame puzzles, the same enemies over and over, linear etc...

Meh...
  20. Dec 26, 2015
    This is a game I was never able to truly get into, perhaps it's because I started off with BioShock Infinite. However it's a very good game, from what I've seen and the little I did play. Very cinematic for an FPS game. Sorry can't really give much more of a review - I just wanted to clean out my old review since it was pretty stupid.
  21. Sep 30, 2010
    BioShock is in no way revolutionary, its a standard linear FPS set in a non standard environment. The physics in this game are possibly the worst Ive seen in a modern game. The storyline is good but that's about the extent of this games genius.
  22. Oct 7, 2013
    BioShock does a great job of atmosphere. The environments, music, story and art style combine to create the fantastic underwater city of Rapture. There are some tense moments against some well designed enemies as you progress through this "utopia" as it's falling apart. The mechanics are where the game loses some of its shine. The weapons and plasmids while interesting aren't wellBioShock does a great job of atmosphere. The environments, music, story and art style combine to create the fantastic underwater city of Rapture. There are some tense moments against some well designed enemies as you progress through this "utopia" as it's falling apart. The mechanics are where the game loses some of its shine. The weapons and plasmids while interesting aren't well balanced. It seemed to force playing enemies a certain way. Beating ranged big daddies with certain weapons and plasmids was almost impossible while others almost made it too easy. The customization with buffs and the invention mechanics are deep but don't feel gameplay changing. If you can get used to the mechanics BioShock has a lot to offer. Expand
  23. Jul 30, 2012
    After a while it gets repetitive and the Story hasnt really made me play it through, all the walking through already visited places annoyed the **** out of me, and the graphics weren't that good, if you actually played it on your PC
  24. Oct 14, 2012
    Lo cierto es que estoy algo decepcionado con el juego. Me esperaba un Half-Life 2 submarino y me he encontrado con un juego correcto.
    El juego es tremendamente repetitivo y las misiones se reducen a un "ve a tal sitio y coge tal objeto o mata a tal tipo" , los combates estan bastante mejor gracias a los plásmidos pero todo el rollo de mejorarlos, cambiarlos o comprar equipamiento es demasiado engorroso con 8000 máquinas diferentes cada una para una función.
    La historia es interesante y mejora en el final del juego pero tampoco me ha entusiasmado.
    Gráficamente el motor es de sobra conocido por lo que tendremos buenos efectos de luz y personajes bien modelados.
    En definitiva un buen diseño y una gran ambientación pero demasiado repetitivo.
    GRAFICOS: 9 SONIDO: 8 JUGABILIDAD: 6,5 DURACION: 7
  25. Nov 9, 2011
    Honestly didn't get the hype about this game. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the story and the setting but the gameplay and overall experience just didn't cut it for me. I didn't think it was bad, far from it, but it's nowhere near as good as the critics make it out to be.The ending is especially bad.
  26. Sep 14, 2011
    I actually found this game quite boring. Its starts out really well, with a nice story to set the mood, but the further you get into it, the whole magic aspect kills the gameplay. If you like that kind of shooters, i can understand the score, but i ended up playing it solely for the story.
  27. May 11, 2013
    Maybe it's because I over-hyped this game in my mind, or maybe it's because I waited to long to pick this up, but I did not have fun with this game. The levels look exactly the same, and it's incredibly cramped. There's not much strategy when it comes to combat, and the enemies look identical to one another. The hacking system is repetitive, and the harder hacking levels are literallyMaybe it's because I over-hyped this game in my mind, or maybe it's because I waited to long to pick this up, but I did not have fun with this game. The levels look exactly the same, and it's incredibly cramped. There's not much strategy when it comes to combat, and the enemies look identical to one another. The hacking system is repetitive, and the harder hacking levels are literally impossible (as they allow no path) unless you have an item. The storytelling and it's method appreciated, and the details in the music/fx are stellar, but that's all the compliments I can honestly give this game. Expand
  28. Jul 14, 2011
    I found Bioshock very entertaining to some point. They should've done way more with the amazing water effects they had, but I guess Bioshock 2 made up for that part.

After Fort Frolic, for me, the game fell apart and became boring, until the plot twist of course. But after Sander Cohen's part, the game became extremely repetitive and boring, even when playing on hardest difficulty.
  29. Sep 17, 2012
    I recently bought a new computer and decided to go back and play some of my favorite older games with the graphics jacked way up, just to see how much better they look. When I did this with the original Bioshock, it reminded me of a few things, both good and bad, about this game. GOOD: The graphics are stunning, both technically and aesthetically. The art deco design of the underwaterI recently bought a new computer and decided to go back and play some of my favorite older games with the graphics jacked way up, just to see how much better they look. When I did this with the original Bioshock, it reminded me of a few things, both good and bad, about this game. GOOD: The graphics are stunning, both technically and aesthetically. The art deco design of the underwater city of Rapture perfectly captures the look and feel of an era. With settings maxed out, Bioshock looks as good as any game I would hope to see today, five years after its initial release. Also, as a shooter, Bioshock is pretty much unsurpassed. Enemies are quick, smart, and well-armed, and level design provides plenty of cover and obstacles. BAD: Bioshock really is just a shooter. When it was released, there was a lot of attention paid to the "moral choices" involving the Little Sisters, but in the end, the choices you made painstakingly through hours and hours of gameplay culminate in...two irritatingly brief cut-scenes, one if you took the good path, one for the bad. Yawn. And Bioshock's incredible visual style distracts from the fact that it is almost perfectly linear. Thanks to the many bits and pieces of backstory and Ayn Rand philosophy that are gradually uncovered as you progress, the game feels deeper and more nuanced than it really is. SUMMARY: Bioshock is worthwhile no matter what style of action-adventure-RPG you prefer, but I believe it will appeal most to fans of straightforward, Doom-style shooters who just want to get their blast on, albeit in some of the best-designed game environments in recent years. Expand
  30. Jun 18, 2015
    Loses the atmosphere and "spookiness" of System Shock 2 and over-symplifies the mechanics. Not even an RPG, mostly a corridor shooter. Don't bother with this.
  31. Oct 14, 2012
    Although there is not questioning Bioshock's greatness, i found it has more flaws than people make out. maybe its just not my kind of game but it seemed to be a bit dull through most of it.
  32. Aug 8, 2013
    Probably the most overrated game of all time. True Rapture is beautiful and amazing and I was kinda surprised by the "twist" but it wasn't spectacular. However the biggest problem is the controls and lack of it. The guns don't pack any punch and the button used to aim down the sights is oddly placed. Great concept but it did not live up to it's potential
  33. Dec 5, 2014
    Great pre-game of that, what "Bioshock: Infinite" saved and done more goodly, than here!.. But dont forgetting about that fact, that this is really one of the best "first person shooter games" ever!
  34. Feb 14, 2014
    Bad shooting physics and bad story plot. A highly overrated game. It might was a good game in 2007 but in 2014 it is not satisfying. Only good thing in the game is the coolness of Big Daddy. Deserves at most 5 points.
  35. Mar 1, 2016
    Antes de começar eu gostaria de dizer que dar uma nota não tão boa para um jogo aclamado não é algo que eu goste ou sinta vontade de fazer mas é apenas uma questão de opinião, cada um tem a sua. BioShock é um game de tiro em primeira pessoa (FPS) de ação mas possui certos elementos de Horror dentro dele, além de elementos de RPG também... Aqui no Metacritic o game conta com uma pontuaçãoAntes de começar eu gostaria de dizer que dar uma nota não tão boa para um jogo aclamado não é algo que eu goste ou sinta vontade de fazer mas é apenas uma questão de opinião, cada um tem a sua. BioShock é um game de tiro em primeira pessoa (FPS) de ação mas possui certos elementos de Horror dentro dele, além de elementos de RPG também... Aqui no Metacritic o game conta com uma pontuação de "96/100" pela parte dos críticos, uma pontuação extremamente alta, mas que apesar de eu não ter gostado do jogo no geral (No quesito diversão), eu compreendo e respeito a opinião dos críticos. Antes de dizer minhas opiniões a respeito do game, vou falar um pouco sobre o que as pessoas geralmente listam como pontos positivos em BioShock. Os críticos e os fãs do jogo destacam basicamente tudo como ponto positivo, a História, as Ambientações/Gráficos, Música/Som e Jogabilidade, tudo foi aclamado. Eu concordo parcialmente com isso, então vou citar aqui minha opinião a respeito de cada um desses 4 fatores, Vamos lá.

►História: Em relação a história do jogo vou ser bem claro para não dar nenhum Spoiler, o game tem um enredo muito interessante e bem detalhado, diria que é uma trama original e acho que daria um excelente filme também (Se houvesse uma boa adaptação, é claro), então nesse quesito eu concordo com a opinião da maioria, apenas acho um pouco chato o fato de boa parte dela ser contada através de arquivos de áudio, que não são tão interessantes de serem escutados.

►Ambientação: Nesse quesito eu fico meio a meio, eu achei interessante a ideia do game se passar numa cidade no fundo do mar (Conhecida como Rapture) e existir toda uma comunidade populando ela, isso foi realmente muito interessante, mas é como nos Resident Evil's Clássicos, todos sabemos que Raccon City é uma cidade marcante e quando ouvimos o nome dessa cidade já nos lembramos de Resident Evil, contudo, ela não é tão aproveitada e na maior parte do tempo ficamos em locais fechados e ninguém se importa no fato de estarmos em Raccon City. Com BioShock é a mesma coisa, estamos em uma cidade que se formos ver do lado de fora é "Fantástica" mas quando entramos nela vemos que não tem nada demais e o maior problema, para mim, é que os ambientes são extremamente claustrofóbicos e não são tão variados assim. Dá uma constante impressão que estamos andando em um longo corredor em uma boa parte do jogo. Apesar da ambientação contar com um estilo "Steampunk" e ter um visual sombrio (algo que eu gosto bastante) torna o visual de certa forma interessante, mas eu realmente não me acostumei com a ambientação do jogo e não achei agradável no geral, não me satisfez.

►Som: Nesse quesito eu não posso falar muita coisa, as músicas tocadas durante o game, os sons do cenário, e a atuação na dublagem dos personagens é boa, n tenho do que reclamar.

►Jogabilidade: Esse é o real motivo de eu não recomendar o game. Na teoria, o jogo deveria ser diversificado em questão de jogabilidade, isso porque podemos usar e mesclar poderes/magias com as tradicionais Armas de Fogo, porém na prática não é algo tão divertido assim... Na verdade, nem um pouco divertido.
    Os poderes são bem interessantes e úteis em diversos casos mas a precisão com as armas não é boa, pelo menos eu não considero, e por incrível que pareça eu não sei explicar o motivo, eu simplesmente não consigo gostar de atirar nesse jogo, independente da arma. O Récuo das armas é extremamente estranho e muitas vezes da a impressão que as armas não possuem potência, isso acontece porque quando damos tiro nos inimigos (Chamados por Splicers), eles tem uma reação quase que inexistente e após tomarem tiro eles apenas levantam a cabeça e continuam a atirar em você, isso é algo que me incomodou e MUITO. Dá sempre a impressão que estamos jogando ping-pong, tiro pra lá, tiro pra cá, parece que os inimigos não tomam dano, é muito bizarro.

Falando em inimigos, eu os achei bem sem graça e são muito pouco variados, basicamente matamos o mesmo tipo de inimigo o jogo todo e o design deles é muito estranho por sinal, eu não sinto nem prazer de mata-los de tão sem graça que eles são, sem falar nas turretas que temos que destruir durante o jogo, elas são extremamente irritantes e esses inimigos fazem com que o jogo se torne extremamente enjoativo e repetitivo e esse é o maior motivo da minha nota negativa para o jogo... mas mesmo odiando quase tudo no quesito inimigos, existe uma excessão: O Big Daddy. Esse cara acompanhado das garotinhas (As Little Sisters) são realmente muito interessantes e são sem dúvidas um ícone quando falamos em BioShock, na real eles são a única motivação que tive para comprar o game, pois na época que joguei pela primeira vez eu não era muito fã de jogos de FPS... Mas, mesmo querendo gostar do game eu realmente não consegui. Então para finalizar minha crítica, saiba que o game não é de todo ruim, tem seus pontos positivos assim como qualquer jogo, entretanto, para mim, os negativos os sobrepõe.

Nota Final: 6/10 (Ok)
  36. Nov 23, 2011
    I appreciate what they're trying, but it just doesn't work.
    Okay, first off, I'm starting with what some reviewers say of BioShock: It's an AWFULLY bad copy of an older game; System Shock 2.
    I appreciate what they're trying, but it just doesn't work.
    Now, if I'm right, BioShock was an attempt to "Modernize" System Shock 2's formula, and they've done it quite well: The story is simply System Shock 2's story with another paint on it, they created a quite creepy atmosphere, they have GREAT artwork, sublime voiceacting, and much better gunplay, but they missed the key element:
    The RPG mechanics are gone...
    The RPG mechanics were what made System Shock 2 so good for replaying, and its what BioShock lacks.

But, now I've got that out of the way, for the actual review:
    BioShock is a FPS with a twist; genetic abilities. With that mean, you can go all Dark Side on your enemies by shooting lightning out of your hands. See what I'm getting at?

Graphically, the graphics were great for when it released: Beautiful water effects, among them. But, I don't care about graphics, so no further comment there.

Gameplay wise, the game is cool:
    You get some nice "Tools" to play with, and quite some genetic powers to toy with, so you'll be in for a treat. Each weapon can be modified. I'm saying this becaus it mostly has pretty outcomes for your guns.
    Now, besides fine gunplay, the gameplay, is quite bad.
    Even on hard, the game is terribly easy, not punishing you for dying; only reviving you at some station.
    In System Shock 2(Sorry for this), you really lost money; something that could hurt you in the game(because money was used to hack stuff to, and repair things, etc..>).
    Also something that lacks gameplaywise, is some depth. No, there's nothing wrong with mindless shooters, I enjoy them a lot, but BioShock was not intended to be a mindless shooter, it was clearly intended as a game with deep gameplay. The thing that made System Shock 2 so great, besides a good story, was the incredibly deep gameplay, being able to replay the game multiple times, and get a quite different experience. BioShock doesn't have that.

Storywise, people who have played System Shock 2 will know it. I won't spoil anything, but it's great, and awesome. But, as with all stories; it'll be fresh for only one time.

Now, after you read this, dont assume that BioShock's a bad game. It's not. It is bad for what it had to live up to.
  37. Nov 20, 2011
    Nice but long for nothing.
    Well,its a nice underwater vintage city that is fun to explore for a will, but after a few hours, it feels like your standard fps. the story and voice acting is good .
    worth playing!
  38. Feb 6, 2014
    1- Gameplay: The gameplay is monotonous and dull, the game is the definition of a generic tunnel shooter, hours upon hours of going through identical looking corridors and rooms killing identical enemies whose only purpose is to stand there waiting for you to kill them. Not even Doom 3 felt this repetitive.

2- Writing: This game has the most overrated story I've ever seen. First thing

2- Writing: This game has the most overrated story I've ever seen.
    First thing to mention is how horribly it's presented, there are no NPCs to interact with, you're just barraged with audio logs or one-way radio messages every ten meters, so you really don't care much about any of the characters or what's going on because you never see any of them.
    Second thing the writing is not engaging, the audio logs are disjointed and pretentious. They give off the stench of a writer thinking "Look at me I'm such a good writer". "Morality" in this game consists of either saving the children or killing the children (Oh no! Not the children!). It has a lame plot twist you see from a mile away, and it has the generic Chris Metzen villain whose only purpose is to taunt you over the radio every minute: "I will kill you now!", "You will never escape!", "I am too powerful!", and this lasts half the freakin game (until you defeat him in the generic boss battle of course).
    And then the endings, unimaginative as f*ck, either sunshine and rainbows where everyone lives happily ever after "and everything is right with the world", or stupid sad ending where the world is doomed and you are a big meany face. Yay for video games! Now they rival movies!

3- Graphics and technical issues: Graphics are fine, a little plastic-looking and overly shiny, but generally they're good. Animations suffer from poor console porting, I mean the game runs at 60fps but all object animations are locked at 30 fps. There's also some audio stuttering and issues that need to be fixed by editing .ini files, but most PC games have these kinds of issues.

5/10. Not a horrible game, not a good game, just a mediocre shooter with a mediocre story.
  39. mez
    Dec 1, 2011
    I seem to be way outside mainstream opinion on this one. I was a huge, huge fan of System Shock 2 and I was so looking forward to playing its 'spiritual successor'. Maybe I was expecting too much, but BioShock did very little for me. I feel a bit bad criticising it because it's obvious that a lot of love and care went into making it, and while it isn't a bad game, for me it never got aboveI seem to be way outside mainstream opinion on this one. I was a huge, huge fan of System Shock 2 and I was so looking forward to playing its 'spiritual successor'. Maybe I was expecting too much, but BioShock did very little for me. I feel a bit bad criticising it because it's obvious that a lot of love and care went into making it, and while it isn't a bad game, for me it never got above mediocre.

It's just a formulaic run and gun shooter. The missions often feel contrived and arbitrary, and are almost entirely based around finding random widgets in some far corner of the level (and there's an escort mission in there as well, ugh). While you're doing that you blast your way through waves of interchangeable enemies - almost all of whom run straight at you - using the usual array of FPS weapons. That's it. For all the game's highfalutin' concept, there's no depth whatsoever to the gameplay - just strafe and fire, strafe and fire. The much-heralded plasmids add very little. They're just guns with different animations. Shoot someone or set them on fire, it makes no difference.

The setting and story are above average, although the levels all look very similar and the Objectivism stuff is a bit undercooked - it's really just a standard trouble in paradise thing with some Ayn Rand inspired sound bites over the top. The diary tapes add some colour, but for some reason I couldn't make myself care about any of it. I found the twists predictable, and the single moral choice you have to make in the game (whether to harvest the little sisters or rescue them) has no bearing at all on the gameplay, only on which ending you get. It feels utterly meaningless.

There's nothing terribly wrong with the game and I so desperately wanted to love it, but its lineage can't hide the fact that it's just another bland FPS. I cannot understand what these huge scores and breathlessly uncritical reviews are based on. I almost feel like I haven't been playing the same game.
  40. Dec 22, 2012
    It's System Shock, but it's wearing clown makeup and it borrowed the gun mechanics of Serious Sam.

I understand why people like this game. But to me is seems like a bit of a goofy mess. The setting and enemies are hard to take seriously if you think about it for 30 seconds, which makes being scared or creeped out almost impossible. Rather than being visceral as one would expect from horror game most of the combat feels like it's lifted from an arcade shooter. The Ayn Rand philosophy that pervades the story is pretty anvilicious. Sometimes I think it's a parody of games that try to shoehorn in "deep" subtext. Most of the time I think it's just an egregious example of pretentious twaddle. The story is mostly dull and forgettable. I literally can't think of a single characters name at this time or remember a single thing about them or what they did.

About the only thing I really liked about it was the twist that explains all the things your character does that make no sense. I'm trying to avoid a spoiler here but my point is there's a bit of story near the end that works as part of the narrative, AND gets weirdly meta. It's glorious. I suppose the graphics deserve mention too. They were obviously a labor of love. They are detailed and at time haunting. I find the cartoonish character style absolutely horrid however.

I wanted to love this game, but even though Rapture is buried deep beneath the waves Bioshock is disappointingly shallow. I guess if you're young and never played the games this is a "spiritual successor" to you might find some value in it. But if your a fan of Looking Glass Studios type of game this will seem like a dull echo of their greatness.

I gave this game a 6 because it obviously has high production values. But overall it basically defines average. There wasn't really anything new here. Every good mechanic was borrowed from previous work in the field.
  41. Apr 25, 2013
    I played for 4 hours and stopped playing. I'm not a big fan of FPS but I loved Bioshock Infinite so I wanted to try this one. Big disappointment.

There is no atmosphere or charm whatsoever, it starts out like a survival horror, and I liked that, but that feeling goes away very quickly. Then it feels like a grey post apocalyptic world that I've seen many times in other games. The city of Rapture is boring. The lack of music also brings down the atmosphere.

The plot is intriguing, and I wanted to know more about what the hell happened, but the characters are just so dull, I never felt any emotional connection to anyone. The character you play doesn't speak, it's like I'm controlling a robot or something, so I just don't care about him, I don't even know his name.

The graphics are nice, with plenty of detail, but everything is so grey that it doesn't matter.

Also this game doesn't like Windows 7 64 bits, I had plenty of problems before I could play this game decently.

Gameplay is ok, you have many weapons and plasmids, and you shoot people. But the enemies repeat a lot, and they aren't that much fun to fight. The hacking minigames are pointless and annoying, the upgrades and rpg elements are not very interesting.

So I guess I was entertained for 2 hours, and the other two hours I was expecting it would get better... it didn't
  42. Jul 28, 2012
    I can understand why this game is thought of so highly by others. The world you descend into is fantastically engrossing, with perfectly executed period music and decorations. The story is a good, the graphics are decent, and the gameplay is fun enough.

But everything is ruined for me by one thing - those darn vita tubes. Basically there are tubes dotted about all over the levels and if you die you are respawned at the last tube you went past. The problem with this is that whatever damage you've dealt out to the enemies stays with them, so you don't lose anything from just dying over and over again until you finally defeat your foes. This makes a mockery of the whole game; you might as well attack the hardest enemies with your wrench and save your ammo because you'll just respawn with no negative effects.

This takes away all the suspense and fear from the game. Add to this enemies that respawn at random, a lack of weapons that are hideously balanced (a powered up wrench better than a shotgun?!), and a system of augmentations that don't really help all that much, and this is a game with so much potential and so much right that falls short of where it could have been.
  43. Jun 24, 2013
    'BioShock' is a game that you have to play to find out what everyone is talking about—and it is definitely worth the time—even though I tend to ignore horror games. I loved that the gamemakers allowed Objectivist philosophy to heavily influence the game. The thought of living in a world inspired by Ayn Rand should terrify any sane person, but the player of 'BioShock' must navigate the'BioShock' is a game that you have to play to find out what everyone is talking about—and it is definitely worth the time—even though I tend to ignore horror games. I loved that the gamemakers allowed Objectivist philosophy to heavily influence the game. The thought of living in a world inspired by Ayn Rand should terrify any sane person, but the player of 'BioShock' must navigate the ruined aftermath of that retro-futurist nightmare, while fighting tortured madmen, managing resources, and solving puzzles along the way. Sadly, I did not finish this game. I became enamored with the 'Fallout' series at the time, and 'BioShock' fell off my radar through no fault of its own. I would like to finish the game, so that I can fully appreciate the dystopian intersection of intellectual and adrenaline-pumping gameplay as wrought by Irrational Games. Expand
  44. Aug 15, 2013
    I'm not entirely sure what all the fuss is about this game. Its gameplay was mediocre at best, although the plotline and overall graphics, I will say, were well done.

Boring and repetitive enemies. Linear gameplay. Powerups that aren't even useful. And don't even get me started about the broken death system. "Oh, you were an idiot and died? No problem, full health for you and you keep all your progress!" Talk about dumbing it down for the masses! Also, for Christ's sake, get more than 3 voice actor's. I was ready to punch holes in my speakers after hearing enemies say the same crap over and over and over for hours.

Overall: Not that impressed.
  45. Aug 8, 2014
    Bioshock.
    This game was supposed to be the spiritual successor to a very powerful game, System Shock 2. The environment and the story are supposed to be dark and horrifying, with every piece you learn building up to a terrifying and emotional breakdown as the game progresses.
    Does Bioshock deliver? Yes and no. The game is fanciful and beautiful, a graphical piece of art at the time.
    Bioshock.

Does Bioshock deliver? Yes and no.
    The game is fanciful and beautiful, a graphical piece of art at the time. But if we just wanted to look at pretty things, we wouldn't play games right? And that is where Bioshock's ultimate problem lies, it is a beautiful, polished game on the outside, but on the inside it is affected by a hideous gameplay, and so-so story telling.

The gameplay is repetitive from within itself, go here, do this, kill the big daddy, get some more juice and pump yourself up. It's boring and unimaginative; it was cool the first, and maybe even second time it happened, but once you realized it for what it was, it quickly became stale. The boss at the end was incredibly contrived, I found him to be an incredibly comical looking, shallow villain. He wasn't scary, or monstrous, but colorful and without real history or depth. The developers tried to sell him off as someone that went mad with his lust for power and evolution, but in the end he was just another NPC to destroy.

The storytelling was borrowed from System-Shock's progressive method of sharing what happened in audio logs. This is a fantastic way of sharing a story, though the characters that leave the logs need to be believable, true and above all, REAL to us. While the story of how Rapture was conceived, built, rotted from within, and eventually collapsed was intriguing, the delivery was poor, and you couldn't connect as easily with the former inhabitants of Rapture due to the lack of emotional connection with the characters who left the logs behind. In System Shock 2, I was dying to find the next log, the next piece of the puzzle, the next E-mail that might explain what was going on. In Bioshock, I wasn't that excited, and the game's plot was static and predictable.

Some might argue that comparing it to System Shock isn't fair and that it should be judged on it's own merits. I disagree because this game is riding on the coattails of greatness and promised an experience that would rival its spiritual predecessor. It didn't completely live up to expectations.

It is, though, at least entertaining, and is worth playing. Do not expect it to be a groundbreaking, game-changing experience however. It is neither of those.
  46. Sep 25, 2011
    I do enjoy this game a little bit, and its better than a majority of first person shooters today(which isnt saying much) but it is an insult to people old enough to have played system shock 2(in 1999) I know its from the same creators, i know its getting the amazing story to a wider audience, but the story had been cannibalized, and dumbed down. The rpg elements are dumbed down, meaningI do enjoy this game a little bit, and its better than a majority of first person shooters today(which isnt saying much) but it is an insult to people old enough to have played system shock 2(in 1999) I know its from the same creators, i know its getting the amazing story to a wider audience, but the story had been cannibalized, and dumbed down. The rpg elements are dumbed down, meaning that instead of having to think a while before you upgrade, you can just upgrade anything and still be fine. The enemies are similar to those in system shock 2's, the story is the same, even the gameplay is the same, and guess what the first weapon in BOTH games is? A WRENCH! Bioshock has pretty graphics, but graphics dont matter, the gameplay isnt amazing, it's impossible to die, and the allusion they tried to use was not sure what it exactly meant at times. Bioshock is pretty, but a little dumb in the head, system shock 2 is ugly, but its an older game, and there are graphic mods, and it is smart. i give system shock 2 a gold trophy filled with gummy bears, chocolate, and other yummy stuff. i give bioshock the same trophy, but made out of plastic, filled with brown water, and nothing else. Expand
  47. Jul 19, 2012
    sub-par Rpg fps, Extremely overrated when compared to games like Deus ex and Systemshock 2,its too easy and the Rpg element is lacking,hacking is a boring joke
  48. RiccardoC.
    Oct 10, 2007
    not worth the hype, on a not-top compurer it won't go smooth and that will bring playng bioshock quite a pain. If u're low on money get orange box, much better.
  49. CoryA.
    Aug 31, 2007
    Simply average and mundane. The graphics are nothing to behold (just because it's shiny doesn't mean it's next-gen material). The gameplay is average as well, and the AI (below average, like every other FPS out there). The only thing that stands out? The audio. And I'm only speaking for the voice acting, nothing else. It's simply appalling that this game is given Simply average and mundane. The graphics are nothing to behold (just because it's shiny doesn't mean it's next-gen material). The gameplay is average as well, and the AI (below average, like every other FPS out there). The only thing that stands out? The audio. And I'm only speaking for the voice acting, nothing else. It's simply appalling that this game is given perfect scores when it's so mediocre. Expand
  50. JamieA.
    Sep 15, 2007
    Your going to get a good bit of solid gameplay from the first half of this game, especially Sander Cohens level, but the last third of this game really lets the rest down - the final "boss" is the most anti-climatic fight ever and your 10 second end movie will leave you feeling empty. As for the whole resurrection tubes debate I thought it was a nice idea (since it means it wont need to Your going to get a good bit of solid gameplay from the first half of this game, especially Sander Cohens level, but the last third of this game really lets the rest down - the final "boss" is the most anti-climatic fight ever and your 10 second end movie will leave you feeling empty. As for the whole resurrection tubes debate I thought it was a nice idea (since it means it wont need to load from quick loads) but in the end takes the fear away from death and makes this feel more like unreal tournament rather than a horror-hold-onto-your-life-as-hard-as-you-can-game.. Wonderful location and setting, big daddy fights can be funnest in the game unless you just lay out electric wire traps which just lead to easy kills. Expand
  51. K-Oz
    Nov 6, 2007
    The game is graphically amazing. the way they've created rapture is very believable. use of plasmids at times can be very rewarding. but the enemies themselves weren't interesting enough. all the splicers get boring and the big daddies weren't much of a challenge either. the hacking mini game gets very irritating towards the end. also the difficulty level is very The game is graphically amazing. the way they've created rapture is very believable. use of plasmids at times can be very rewarding. but the enemies themselves weren't interesting enough. all the splicers get boring and the big daddies weren't much of a challenge either. the hacking mini game gets very irritating towards the end. also the difficulty level is very inconsistent. it keeps switching from being challenging(in hard mode) to being downright easy every now and then. the story should've been developed more. the ending was disastrously horrible. The story lost tempo towards the end and then just plummeted to it's death. but all said, it's still loads better than most of the other junk available at the market and is definitely worth playing. Expand
  52. ThisGuy
    Oct 20, 2007
    This game is beautiful! Gorgeous settings, great ambience. I really enjoyed the background music, it fit the setting nicely. (1 hour later) Yeah...the game is still pretty. (Upon completion) Wow that was an expensive game that seems to get absurdly high ratings! Hey, does anyone remember when games were rated for something other than eye candy. This game is not horrible but come on people This game is beautiful! Gorgeous settings, great ambience. I really enjoyed the background music, it fit the setting nicely. (1 hour later) Yeah...the game is still pretty. (Upon completion) Wow that was an expensive game that seems to get absurdly high ratings! Hey, does anyone remember when games were rated for something other than eye candy. This game is not horrible but come on people there is nothing here to justify such high ratings. Expand
  53. TillE.
    Sep 10, 2007
    "As overrated as HL2" is the perfect way to describe BioShock. If you love pretty story-driven rail shooters with long load times like Half-Life 2, you'll love BioShock. If you like interesting, RPG-infused gameplay like System Shock 2, BioShock seriously disappoints. Just as with HL2, there's nothing here to justify the obscenely high ratings. As a *game*, it's just dull. "As overrated as HL2" is the perfect way to describe BioShock. If you love pretty story-driven rail shooters with long load times like Half-Life 2, you'll love BioShock. If you like interesting, RPG-infused gameplay like System Shock 2, BioShock seriously disappoints. Just as with HL2, there's nothing here to justify the obscenely high ratings. As a *game*, it's just dull. Though it's fine if you look at it as an interactive horror movie, I'm sure, it doesn't hold a candle to Deus Ex, Vampire: Bloodlines, or the System Shocks, all of which are shooter/RPG hybrids that told a great story *and* were a hell of a lot of fun to play. BioShock is a game you play to get the next bit of story, not because it's inherently enjoyable. Expand
  54. MarkP.
    Sep 8, 2007
    Bioshock is an undeniably good game, but definitely not a great game. I don't understand the incredible hype surrounding this title. It is a fairly polished shooter with mostly nice graphics and an interesting storyline. There is nothing particularly revolutionary or innovative in Bioshock. Gameplay is standard fps fair, with some minor control issues that will likely be ironed out Bioshock is an undeniably good game, but definitely not a great game. I don't understand the incredible hype surrounding this title. It is a fairly polished shooter with mostly nice graphics and an interesting storyline. There is nothing particularly revolutionary or innovative in Bioshock. Gameplay is standard fps fair, with some minor control issues that will likely be ironed out in a future patch. Combat is fun, though fighting the same enemies eventually becomes tedious. The normal difficulty setting is a bit too easy, and switching to hard doesn Expand
  55. PeterK.
    Sep 8, 2007
    It's a good game, but it's hard to see where all the rave reviews are coming from. In no way is this game better or even anywhere near Half-Life 2 - which is almost three years old by now. One particular problem I found is that, on a 2.2 GHz AMD64 with an 8800 GTS 320 MB card, the very first level (where you crash into the sea) is fast on 'high quality', but as soon as It's a good game, but it's hard to see where all the rave reviews are coming from. In no way is this game better or even anywhere near Half-Life 2 - which is almost three years old by now. One particular problem I found is that, on a 2.2 GHz AMD64 with an 8800 GTS 320 MB card, the very first level (where you crash into the sea) is fast on 'high quality', but as soon as the next level loads, it's one frame every few seconds. No explanation is given where this discrepancy comes from. And this continues when you try to change the settings: the entire game crawls to a halt, including the mouse pointer. Ever tried to change the screen resolution, and can't click on the 'yes' button within 15 seconds? The design is very pretty, though it is not enough to warrant such a high score. The story is basically that of Far Cry, with some dubious morality tale thrown in. There is very little variety in terms of opponents: four major types (humans, Big Daddies and turrets/bots) with eight sub-types between them. Also, they always attack in predictable patterns, jumping a little just before hitting you, etc. The hacking system gets tiresome very, very quickly, just like the fact you have to search pretty much everything if you want to finish the game. The weapon system is interesting, but a bit bewildering in its complexity. More is not necessarily better. Again, the graphics and the whole design are simply gorgeous, but a good game is more than that. It's a feast of colour and shape, compared to the sterile desolateness of Half-Life 2, but it fails to grip you as much. Hence, a 7/10 for a game that is severely over-hyped by the 'official' reviewers who really should know better. Expand
  56. SimonO.
    Sep 9, 2007
    The graphics are good, Story is ok but the game is seriously lacking. For starters you can't die in the game at all. Once you realise this the game becomes insanely easy. The ending boss is way too easy, which is to expected based on the fact you couldn't die previously. The twist in the game is excellent but it just proves to you that you have no real control over the storyline The graphics are good, Story is ok but the game is seriously lacking. For starters you can't die in the game at all. Once you realise this the game becomes insanely easy. The ending boss is way too easy, which is to expected based on the fact you couldn't die previously. The twist in the game is excellent but it just proves to you that you have no real control over the storyline at all. Other then that I felt like I was playing a watered down (excuse the pun) version of System Shock 2. Expand
  57. MikeW.
    Sep 9, 2007
    It is mediocre. I felt like I was playing another Resident Evil clone. The game play is fun when you first pick it up, but falls short about 2 or 3 hours into gameplay. Graphics are well shaded but that does not mean they are good. There are many bugs and glitches and the charecter and weapon designs look aweful aswell as some of the screens. The only thing that was truly impressive was It is mediocre. I felt like I was playing another Resident Evil clone. The game play is fun when you first pick it up, but falls short about 2 or 3 hours into gameplay. Graphics are well shaded but that does not mean they are good. There are many bugs and glitches and the charecter and weapon designs look aweful aswell as some of the screens. The only thing that was truly impressive was the sound. The sound was fantastic, with full surroundsound and a nice sub you can somewhat enjoy the game. Hacking is a chore espescialy later on in the game because it is a must hack to win situation and hacking becomes almost impossible at times. Also, the lack of multiplayer makes this game a waste of $60 when you are only going to be able to play it once through. This game was truly over hyped and falls short in both gameplay and good story. Not the worst game to recieve lower than a 5 but not good enough to be better than average. Expand
  58. JakeD.
    Mar 4, 2008
    I feel this game has been so critically acclaimed because of the fact that it was hyped up and there was a lot of hope that it would be brilliant. The PC mags then didnt want to go against the acclaim of their previews, or something like that. Anyway, what we get is a very console-feeling dumbed down 'rpg'. Being heavily reliant on combat, it is a big shame that none of the I feel this game has been so critically acclaimed because of the fact that it was hyped up and there was a lot of hope that it would be brilliant. The PC mags then didnt want to go against the acclaim of their previews, or something like that. Anyway, what we get is a very console-feeling dumbed down 'rpg'. Being heavily reliant on combat, it is a big shame that none of the weapons or biomods feel correct or satisfying to use; feeling either too cumbersome or too lightweight. Some of the effects in the game are fantastic. My jaw was dangling at one point when a plane crashed into a tunnel i was walking through, causing water to gush everywhere. That being said, the overall design of the game feels very patchwork; as if the developers have tried to use as many effects as they can, some of which are too obvious. The game feels very linear and claustrophobic. 2K games state Bioshock is 'Going beyond "run and gun corridors" ', however, ironically, this is what the game becomes. Aside from the occasional impressive visuals, the only other positive I can think of is the story. I am a fan of the idea of a future distopia, Logans Run, Brave New World, 1984, etc, and this game pulls off a unique take on this theme. Its just a shame the gameplay is so uninspired. Expand
  59. GlenV.
    Oct 10, 2007
    Great graphics and a fairly interesting story but far too easy and far too much of the same thing each and every level. Nice underwater setting (really believable that a constantly leaking city is still habitable! really!). Ok - was probably dumbed down for the console boys?
  60. JonathanA.
    Nov 1, 2007
    While I loved the first hour of the game, I quickly found myself losing interest for some reason. It was very well polished and well done, but it was lacking in terms of innovative gameplay. I think the primary reason I lost interest after getting about half way into the game was because I did not find myself compelled enough by the story, and the only goal I had was to help some stranger While I loved the first hour of the game, I quickly found myself losing interest for some reason. It was very well polished and well done, but it was lacking in terms of innovative gameplay. I think the primary reason I lost interest after getting about half way into the game was because I did not find myself compelled enough by the story, and the only goal I had was to help some stranger that I hardly knew. Expand
  61. jrocknyc
    Aug 23, 2007
    Decent, but overhyped and overly complex.
  62. SteveG.
    Aug 30, 2007
    I would love to give this game a 9 or even a 10, however the bugs and major crashing issues that I and many others are experiencing prevents me. In the week and a half I've had Bioshock, I've been able to play for about 15 minutes all together and only about 5 min consecutively. I even reinstalled XP for this game with no luck. However, the few minutes I was able to play wereI would love to give this game a 9 or even a 10, however the bugs and major crashing issues that I and many others are experiencing prevents me. In the week and a half I've had Bioshock, I've been able to play for about 15 minutes all together and only about 5 min consecutively. I even reinstalled XP for this game with no luck. However, the few minutes I was able to play were fantastic. To 2k I say please patch this game. Expand
  63. TerryD.
    Aug 30, 2007
    Man, I must be missing something - I just don't see the wonder of this title. Yeah, it
  64. B.G.
    Sep 10, 2007
    Maybe I was wrong in expecting some kind of System Shock 2.5, but then again, maybe Ken Levine shouldn't have been boasting around about the game being a "spiritual successor" of said title. To me, Bioshock is as overrated as HL2 - instead of exploring a living (yet hostile) world as we did in SS, I feel like riding some kind of ghost train with scary monsters being thrown at me Maybe I was wrong in expecting some kind of System Shock 2.5, but then again, maybe Ken Levine shouldn't have been boasting around about the game being a "spiritual successor" of said title. To me, Bioshock is as overrated as HL2 - instead of exploring a living (yet hostile) world as we did in SS, I feel like riding some kind of ghost train with scary monsters being thrown at me every now an then. The suspense of a good horror-game is killed in frantic shooting and fiddling with the somewhat unintuitive controls (which I couldn't re-map for my own needs as the game seems to reserve the keys I'd like to use for whatever bloody purpose !)- for a game that promises such "sophisticated" ways of killing off your opponents the overall pace is way too fast and customisible controls should be a standard in every first person game, be it a simple fps or something that pretends to be something else. It's a shame the interesting setting und beatifully executed graphics desing are wasted to such a run-off-the-mill FPS - maybe Irrational should have stuck with their original concept of "secret-nazi-underground-lab", that way, everyone would have known what to expect ... Expand
  65. MikeL.
    Sep 5, 2007
    Bio Shock Has very nice graphics on high setting medium settings look poor. The retro artdeco style is nice and it's reasonable atmospheric. BUT the gameplay is hardly uniqiue i don't understand how this game has got such high reviews when more innovative games of 07 have got lower scores! I bet if this was made on the source engine which is dated, it would get a crapier score Bio Shock Has very nice graphics on high setting medium settings look poor. The retro artdeco style is nice and it's reasonable atmospheric. BUT the gameplay is hardly uniqiue i don't understand how this game has got such high reviews when more innovative games of 07 have got lower scores! I bet if this was made on the source engine which is dated, it would get a crapier score at the most 75% overall. But anyway the point is this is I bet this game will end up having a higher scores than say a new and interesting game like L4D and that's another thing it bring nothing to the multiplayer plate! So in conclusion, nice Graphics and a interesting storyline. Un-unique gameplay, predictable and over-rated. Still despite all that it's worth ago! ooh ohh and the DRM thing is outrageous! Expand
  66. MarkusS.
    Oct 28, 2008
    I don't understand the hype about that game. Of course the scenario is creative but the rest is in my opinion absolutely boring, the story is stereotyped and the ending is disappointing. It's average.
  67. OdellH.
    May 25, 2008
    This game has beautiful graphics and a nice story. Unfortunately, this keeps most reviewers and gamers today from seeing how shallow the game actually is. I was expecting something similar to System Shock 2, but, to my dismay, Bioshock is very dumbed down in comparison. It is too bad that the industry only focuses on one group these days - the lowest common denominator.
  68. OmbarK.
    Jun 4, 2008
    I love FPS and I love RPGs so I should be loving Bioshock right? Well actually Bioshock turned out for me to be the most overrated game of probably all time, this game doesn't deserve a 96 overall rating. Where did all the perfect scores comes from? Did they actually play the game pass the point where things get utterly shallow and boring? Sure at first the ambiance is great and you I love FPS and I love RPGs so I should be loving Bioshock right? Well actually Bioshock turned out for me to be the most overrated game of probably all time, this game doesn't deserve a 96 overall rating. Where did all the perfect scores comes from? Did they actually play the game pass the point where things get utterly shallow and boring? Sure at first the ambiance is great and you really feel the dark atmosphere, but after a while this game gets as tedious as an MMO. Basically, the only thing you do is kill the bad guys, kill the big daddy, get money, buy weapons back, rinse and repeat, oh and if you're bored you can listen to the tapes you find which are probably the only thing making this game worthwhile because the story was somewhat interesting but that's the only good thing I see in Bioshock. It's an alright game but no way near a masterpiece the critics make it looks like, I'm very disappointed. Expand
  69. OliverC.
    Aug 12, 2008
    Surprisingly, this game was just not very fun. Reminds me in many ways of Prey (graphics, setting and general plotline). The writing is awful and the setting is absurd (Normally I wouldn't care but this is supposed to be an important aspect of this game). The voice acting doesn't help. The Gameplay goes from bad to decent to bad; I personally found the last few hours Surprisingly, this game was just not very fun. Reminds me in many ways of Prey (graphics, setting and general plotline). The writing is awful and the setting is absurd (Normally I wouldn't care but this is supposed to be an important aspect of this game). The voice acting doesn't help. The Gameplay goes from bad to decent to bad; I personally found the last few hours excruciating. The game is simultaneously too difficult and too easy given the vita-chambers. Honestly doesn't break any new ground, but sticks to the basics and does it relatively well. The graphics are obviously awesome. If you are willing to buy into the silly storyline you might be entertained, as there are a few (one) freaky enemies to encounter. Otherwise, you might wanna cut your losses early on and uninstall the game before its too late and you have to finish because you will literally be cutting your life a few hours short. For a genuinely fun horror shooter, see Resident Evil 4. For a shooter with a great plot + setting, see half life or metal gear. Expand
  70. LysanderS
    Dec 22, 2009
    Wow, talk about overhyped. Sure, the graphics are quite nice, but that's as far as you can go with the good points. Mediocre AI, ugly weapon animations, average sound, terrible storyline, sub-par fighting mechanics. Overall, just another FPS flop. Only instead of flopping, it got a hugely high score.
  71. DavidK.
    Feb 10, 2009
    Probably one of the most overrated games of 2007-2008. It 'IS' the sequel to System Shock 2. I paid way too much money for it originally but the price it is now is very good. The scare mood that the game sets is why I would imagine is why it received the original rave reviews. I do not agree. I compare it with the SAW series and the old TV show "The Prisoner" as each of the 8 Probably one of the most overrated games of 2007-2008. It 'IS' the sequel to System Shock 2. I paid way too much money for it originally but the price it is now is very good. The scare mood that the game sets is why I would imagine is why it received the original rave reviews. I do not agree. I compare it with the SAW series and the old TV show "The Prisoner" as each of the 8 bosses is twisted and deranged. Very nice flair with the year 1959 and the mood it sets. If the interface was not so complicated I would give it a nine. After level six the game becomes very hard for the average user. And for me I lost interest as I did with System Shock 2. But if you like a challenge this game is for you. Expand
  72. Aarond
    Feb 8, 2009
    A unique shooter, very smooth game-play, the blend between almost magical abilities and weapons was highly enjoyable. Unfortunately, it did not place enough enphises on use of different weapons, it is possible to simply max out one weapon or one plasmid to complete. I do recomend playing this title, but its replayability limits itself to one or two times. 7/10.
  73. JoshQ
    Apr 26, 2009
    If you think the combination of a somewhat cool story, poor weapon ballistics, extremely small arsenal and variation of enemies, zero interaction between the other characters, and extremely repetitive world with small linear levels packed into a very short game is cool then this game is for you. On the other hand, I personally was part of the pre-release hype, and optimistically played If you think the combination of a somewhat cool story, poor weapon ballistics, extremely small arsenal and variation of enemies, zero interaction between the other characters, and extremely repetitive world with small linear levels packed into a very short game is cool then this game is for you. On the other hand, I personally was part of the pre-release hype, and optimistically played through the game once all along knowing I was just playing the game to beat the game and received no enjoyment from it. Expand
  74. HelpU
    Jul 19, 2009
    This game has everything every shooter has. And I mean everything. The horror is laughable. And the worst problem I had was the plasmids, either they were useless or they were too similar to every one of them. Typically, there was only one instance you actually used a specific element and even then it didn't feel like much was accomplished. It kept me entertained for a while but IThis game has everything every shooter has. And I mean everything. The horror is laughable. And the worst problem I had was the plasmids, either they were useless or they were too similar to every one of them. Typically, there was only one instance you actually used a specific element and even then it didn't feel like much was accomplished. It kept me entertained for a while but I quit as soon as I reached the final boss. Actually I thought it had a very good twist but the little girl crap was a useless gimmick Expand
  75. AndyP.
    Jan 30, 2010
    I'll give it a 5 for graphics alone,theres no denying that graphicly it's very good. But thats pretty much where it ends for me,after what is a promising start the gameplay gets stale very quickly. fighting the same 4 enemies throughout the whole game is just extremely dull. The story is ok i guess,unfotunatly i pretty much forced myself to finish this game,and was kind of I'll give it a 5 for graphics alone,theres no denying that graphicly it's very good. But thats pretty much where it ends for me,after what is a promising start the gameplay gets stale very quickly. fighting the same 4 enemies throughout the whole game is just extremely dull. The story is ok i guess,unfotunatly i pretty much forced myself to finish this game,and was kind of relieved when i did for all the wrong reasons. Expand
  76. ShaneD.
    Oct 10, 2007
    Nice visuals but same ol same ol gameplay with nothing new. Takes a lot of the cool ideas from Deus Ex, makes them less interesting and puts them in a rail shooter. It seems to me that a long time has passed without a good shooter being released for the PC, so people are rushing to anything that's even half good. I just can't understand how so people think this game is so good. Nice visuals but same ol same ol gameplay with nothing new. Takes a lot of the cool ideas from Deus Ex, makes them less interesting and puts them in a rail shooter. It seems to me that a long time has passed without a good shooter being released for the PC, so people are rushing to anything that's even half good. I just can't understand how so people think this game is so good. Console gamers starved for shooters? Over bribed game reviewers? Youngsters with no experience playinmg the classics? Final word: Play it on someone elses computer but don't waste your money on. Expand
  77. Mithras
    Nov 17, 2007
    The game got way too high ratings, it truly did. The game was good. It was a good shooter with fantastic atmosphere and great graphics; but it was still just a GOOD shooter. It seemed to fulfill all the needs that a game has, and not go any further. There were quite a few weapons, more than one way to approach a situation, and a sufficient plot, but in the end, the game was pretty The game got way too high ratings, it truly did. The game was good. It was a good shooter with fantastic atmosphere and great graphics; but it was still just a GOOD shooter. It seemed to fulfill all the needs that a game has, and not go any further. There were quite a few weapons, more than one way to approach a situation, and a sufficient plot, but in the end, the game was pretty mediocre due to all the flaws and lack of any features to set it apart from so many other games. Someone mentioned that "apart from the vita chambers" the game was great. The thing is, the vita-chamber "never-die" thing was probably the greatest flaw of the game in my eyes. The game ALMOST had this great atmosphere of eeriness, making the player feel tense and fearful, but after the point that the player realizes there are absolutely no repercussions for dying, all the tension just disappears. You can run right at a Big Daddy and hit it with a wrench, no problem. Big, seemingly insurmountable mobs of splicers? Run at them, attack, die, run at them, attack, die, repeat. There's no tension when you realize that you can "die" as much as you like, and you lose absolutely nothing; no progress, no items, no money... nothing. After the atmosphere was killed for me, the attraction for the game really died off. I played the game on hard, and it was unbelievably easy. The plot was also worked up to be a big feature of the game, but I never really got into it. The endings were let downs, both of them. The story itself was poor also: For example, Andrew Ryan was built up to be this huge bad guy throughout the game, and at the end the game goes "OH! Got you! Lets ignore Andrew Ryan and concentrate on this new bad guy that we never really concentrated on before!" I never really found the last boss that evil of a character, because he seemed to be some sort of last minute idea in the plot. The plot was also filled with holes, like how the vita-chamber works for you and not anyone else: "it only works for Andrew Ryan's gene's" the game says, and then "you're a clone of Andrew Ryan". Oh! Okay, that makes sense. ...Right until the point where Andrew Ryan dies. And doesn't come back. There were lots of other small holes in the plot, none of them major, but enough to make me shake my head and deteriorate my view of the plot. Gameplay-wise, the game was good, but had, once again, some significant flaws. Things like the standard pistol bullets becoming absolutely useless after the splicers suddenly get stronger about half-way in the game. I unloaded an entire 25 bullet pistol clip into a splicer's face, and the guy didn't die. He was close, but he wasn't dead. I was almost dead, and before I could reload, I was dead, but the splicer was still alive. This was the fully upgraded pistol too. And you keep finding more pistol bullets after that point. Little things like that irritated me enough to make me frustrated with the gameplay. Everything this game seemingly had going for it - creepy atmosphere, 'revolutionary gameplay', deep plot - all had enough flaws in them to make me seriously question what the reviewers were thinking. Deus Ex, that game had player choice! Indigo Prophecy, that game had plot! Doom 3, that game was scary; I actually cared about getting hit by enemies! There are so many better games, and so many ways in which this game could have improved, and this makes me wonder why the average score is 96%, when this game is not that close to perfect. Expand
  78. Hoplite
    Aug 24, 2007
    Bioshock really doesn't live up to the hype surrounding it, and its a shame that so many reputable game reviewers weren't able to see past the flash and give the game an unbiased review for what it is: an entertaining but derivative (and at times frustratingly average) first-person shooter that is at most Evolutionary, but never revolutionary, in its presentation. Despite the Bioshock really doesn't live up to the hype surrounding it, and its a shame that so many reputable game reviewers weren't able to see past the flash and give the game an unbiased review for what it is: an entertaining but derivative (and at times frustratingly average) first-person shooter that is at most Evolutionary, but never revolutionary, in its presentation. Despite the open environments the game is almost completely linear - it holds your hand and tells you where to go and when, and while you can choose to go off the beaten path and explore, there's really nothing to be gained by this except the occasional stash of ammo and money. More likely you'll be frustrated by the waves upon waves of splicers that greet you around every corner - getting into massive gunfights everywhere you go kind-of kills the wonder of exploring the environment, which, while impressive visually, falls apart when you attempt to dig below the surface. Everything about it screams "I'm a videogame", from the arrangement of the levels and lack of functional purpose and interaction in many of the environments you explore to the same old weapons selection, which includes all the basics for an fps (pistol, shotgun, SMG, etc.). It seems strange to me from a story perspective that pioneers came to the ocean floor to build a Utopian society and brought with them a massive arsenal, including grenade launchers and gun turrets around every corner (regardless of the excuses for them being there, they simply serve to remind me of every other fps I've ever played). I understand that society has apparently crumbled, but I was promised an FPS revolution, and what I got was braindead AI zombies who rush me en masse (like in Doom and every other FPS ever made), gun turrets around every corner (ditto), linear mission/level design, a pretty standard plot, and a somewhat innovative, if flawed, combat mechanic that involves shuffling between weapons with a handful of different ammunition types and Force Powers (er, plasmids) using the mouse wheel and keystrokes, which can become very annoying when you're fighting a handful of different enemy types in a battle, and lead you to feel like you're fighting the controls rather than the bad guys. I was told I was going to be immersed in this world and be able to make deep moral decisions, but instead of making alliances with the survivors and carefully scavenging for items as I explore a rich sci fi world, I'm blasting (almost) everything that moves and buying ammunition and plasmids from vending machines (why are there a bazillion vending machines that sell armor piercing ammunition and none that sell soda?) On top of this, I find the whole interweaving of the story and game design fundamentally flawed. Why in a world that has supposedly been destroyed by overindulgence in DNA altering drugs, does the gameplay so freely encourage you to shoot up with plasmids? It's the ultimate example of the designers dropping the ball on a chance to weave gameplay into the story in a meaningful way. As the characters in the game bemoan the toll that 'splicing' has taken on their society, the game itself encourages you to get your hands on as much ADAM as you can to boost your abilities (there's no way to get past many areas of the game without plasmids), going so far as to discourage you from leaving a level until you've collected from all the Little Sisters in the area (because, and I quote: "the game can get extremely difficult"). There's no apparent gameplay penalty for over-splicing or over-using your abilities (notwithstanding the obligatory mechinations of the plot), and its a real shame, because its one of many opportunities this game had to actually merge storytelling and gameplay in a revolutionary way Its decent as an FPS, but while it has some novel design concepts (all culled from other games), its not the revolution that I was expecting. Expand
  79. MitchT
    Aug 25, 2007
    Way too demanding on graphics. I had to replace a perfectly good graphics card with another newer card to run this game and even that new $200 card still runs the game choppy as hell (on low settings). This game is not ment for the casual gamer, thats for sure.
  80. Raya
    Aug 28, 2007
    This game has been over hyped by a lot of the press. Just because the designers actually used an art deco style rather than say the typical cyperpunk/gieger look that too many games go for does not make the game more arty! It's very much like Doom 3 meets Metroid Prime. Very dark and recorded messages scattered around - corridor shooter like doom. Then the missions backtrack around -This game has been over hyped by a lot of the press. Just because the designers actually used an art deco style rather than say the typical cyperpunk/gieger look that too many games go for does not make the game more arty! It's very much like Doom 3 meets Metroid Prime. Very dark and recorded messages scattered around - corridor shooter like doom. Then the missions backtrack around - get this to open this, do this to obtain that. Photograph (scan) to find a weekness - total Metroid. I'm about half way through but I'm affraid it's all getting rather boring! Hope it picks up soon. Considering it's under water the water plays little part - the fish such as there are are arthritic and really poor. Such attention to detail inside whilst the out side just uses the same shaol of 12 'rubber' fish Expand
  81. KenH.
    Sep 11, 2007
    I have to 2nd others here. There is no death penalty so the game is easy even at hard difficulty. The atmosphere is great but the story falters quite a bit near the end. Its a must-play game but it carries lots of faults. System Shock 1 and 2 are still far superior games to Bioshock.
  82. DeadlyC
    Sep 13, 2007
    Bioshock is in no way, a revolutionary game, Bioshock is a symptom of the dumbing down of games over the years. The Vita Chamber system was present in System Shock 2, but it was far more tactfully done. The player COULD die, if one ran out of money, which makes much more sense for a neo-super-capatilist society, the Vita Chambers amount to free health-care, parasitic anyone? The devolves Bioshock is in no way, a revolutionary game, Bioshock is a symptom of the dumbing down of games over the years. The Vita Chamber system was present in System Shock 2, but it was far more tactfully done. The player COULD die, if one ran out of money, which makes much more sense for a neo-super-capatilist society, the Vita Chambers amount to free health-care, parasitic anyone? The devolves into an exercise in grinding down big daddies even on hard mode, as opposed to thinking tactically about each situation. Moreover, there are essentially, 3 types of enemies in the game. Splicers, no matter how many types there are, they all amount to the same thing with different weapons. Security drones and bots, once the invisibility upgrade is obtained, become a non-factor. And Big Daddies, which provide the games only truly interesting enemy, but again, only two types, that all look the same. The story, could have been so much more, but was flitted away with cheesy plot twists and two dimensional villains. Everyone either is evil, or an inhuman monster, depth there aint. The game ends up becoming this, run into room, be told by an invisible voice what to do, kill splicers, play the same hacking game over and over again, kill all big daddies. The atmosphere, graphics, environments, and art direction are beautiful, absolutley beautiful. Too bad Bioshock is just another pretty face. Expand
  83. OzzyT.
    Sep 16, 2007
    Ok, it's a brilliant game. Nobody can say no to that. It is however dissapointingly short. It was rather easy and dull for most of the areas. I can't comlain about the graphics though. They were the best I've ever seen. The gunplay is suprisingly fun and the options and the plot are inventive and will stick in your mind. But like I said the length of the game is short. The Ok, it's a brilliant game. Nobody can say no to that. It is however dissapointingly short. It was rather easy and dull for most of the areas. I can't comlain about the graphics though. They were the best I've ever seen. The gunplay is suprisingly fun and the options and the plot are inventive and will stick in your mind. But like I said the length of the game is short. The only missions that last long enough are the boring ones that have boring objectives such as collect this and collect that.... I don't think Bioshock is revolutionary but it sure is fun if you're looking for something to do for a couple of hours. Expand
  84. SteveW.
    Sep 20, 2007
    So BioShock is not a revolutionary game, or even a particularly innovative one; by the time I reached the end, I felt as though I had played a rather standard and predictable first-person shooter - GameCritics. This sums the game up perfectly, in fact my son plays "Rise of the Underminder" on the xbox which got a poor 63%, when looking at this game and Bioshock, you realise they are the So BioShock is not a revolutionary game, or even a particularly innovative one; by the time I reached the end, I felt as though I had played a rather standard and predictable first-person shooter - GameCritics. This sums the game up perfectly, in fact my son plays "Rise of the Underminder" on the xbox which got a poor 63%, when looking at this game and Bioshock, you realise they are the same pattern - Basically move through levels, kill the same mobs, upgrade skills rinse and repeat. Had more fun playing with the kid, as its co'op two player. On the while overrated. Deus-ex released almost 10 years ago is far better - this game even inspired me to re-install and play Deus-ex again.. thanks BioShock. Expand
  85. TinkulA.
    Sep 23, 2007
    I think a lot of Bioshock's high popularity is due to hype. In the end it's not anything groundbreaking, just another shooter. The UT3 engine does allows some really cool looking stuff and the graphics are great, but there is very limited amount of monsters and all the splicers-types are pretty much the same: just shoot em in the head. There are no choices you can make in the I think a lot of Bioshock's high popularity is due to hype. In the end it's not anything groundbreaking, just another shooter. The UT3 engine does allows some really cool looking stuff and the graphics are great, but there is very limited amount of monsters and all the splicers-types are pretty much the same: just shoot em in the head. There are no choices you can make in the game except whether to kill or save the little girls, so it makes this game just another pipe-run. The plasmids are very ineffective or awkward to use, much easier to just shoot your target rather than try to lure it in a trap or throw stuff at it. The ammo conservation which is supposed to be a key feature of the game means that you try and wrench your targets all the time, after you get a few plasmids it's even better to wrench cause it's the most efficient way. The plot is thought through, but it doesn't really capture you in it. Like Steve W. said, this game is nowhere near classics like Deus Ex or Half-life, but it's better than average still. Expand
  86. MarvioS.
    Sep 3, 2007
    I have found home!! I really don't know why the "official" reviews of this game are so great; True, the production values are unquestionable, everything from the graphics, to art direction, to music, voice acting and mood are spot on, but that's it!! Game play is linear and boring, the sotory, tough I haven't finished yet, seems flat (and I can't really see it getting I have found home!! I really don't know why the "official" reviews of this game are so great; True, the production values are unquestionable, everything from the graphics, to art direction, to music, voice acting and mood are spot on, but that's it!! Game play is linear and boring, the sotory, tough I haven't finished yet, seems flat (and I can't really see it getting any better), the RPG/FPS mix/trade off is abysmal, other games, such as Deus Ex achieved this brilliantly. The weapons managemnt system is way too complicated for such a fast paced game, and in the end you can get through the whole thing with your machine gun, so what's the point? This is the quitenssential example of :" A well polished turd is still a turd", in fact there should be a screenshot of this game under that phrase on a dictonary :) In the end the game play is no better then Quake2 was 10 years ago, this is just a tech demo IMHO. Expand
  87. LuhissL.
    Sep 7, 2007
    My initial impression was one of awe at the visuals, both in terms of design and execution. The water, the art deco architecture is really all very beautiful. However, as the game progressed, I found myself getting extremely tired of the same action sequences over and over again. Very little to do other than walk through and get attacked by a crazy person, or a lumbering Rosie. I found My initial impression was one of awe at the visuals, both in terms of design and execution. The water, the art deco architecture is really all very beautiful. However, as the game progressed, I found myself getting extremely tired of the same action sequences over and over again. Very little to do other than walk through and get attacked by a crazy person, or a lumbering Rosie. I found the carnival atmosphere and music especially grating to my nerves. Overall, I give the game a 9 for visuals and sound and a 5 for game play (boring). Averages out to a 7. Expand
  88. FernandoO.
    Nov 2, 2008
    I was curious to see why such game made a score equal to the best Half-Life editions, and at first it seems so good, but after some years of gaming I give more importance to storyline, and overall satisfaction of the *player*. BioShock it a rare case for me cause there is excellence on technical aspects and truly many options and the game is not predicable, but, as some others games, the I was curious to see why such game made a score equal to the best Half-Life editions, and at first it seems so good, but after some years of gaming I give more importance to storyline, and overall satisfaction of the *player*. BioShock it a rare case for me cause there is excellence on technical aspects and truly many options and the game is not predicable, but, as some others games, the "game mind" is not alright, has some sickness, and besides that is the place story, it gets between the players satisfaction. This may be considered as an subjective evaluation, but HalfLife2 does not force the game mind too much into between the reason people like to play. This may read and sound odd, but it is my view, and after progress a lot of level into BioShock it begun to lack something more to be a good game, and more and more to be a bad one, even if it does not seems so at first. Expand
  89. MattB
    Jan 22, 2008
    Pretty graphics, interesting sound effects and little else to bring me back to playing this game once I'd played through it once. Dismal lack of multiplayer and a UI that was obviously crafted for low resolution XBox360. A decent play through but certainly not worthy of all the praise lavished upon it. Not worth $50 bucks for sure. Maybe $30. The game play is hyper linear andPretty graphics, interesting sound effects and little else to bring me back to playing this game once I'd played through it once. Dismal lack of multiplayer and a UI that was obviously crafted for low resolution XBox360. A decent play through but certainly not worthy of all the praise lavished upon it. Not worth $50 bucks for sure. Maybe $30. The game play is hyper linear and it's impossible to game-over from what I've experienced. The plot line is predictable and boring and interactivity with the world is positively uninspired. Expand
  90. GodN.
    Feb 24, 2008
    Bioshock is somewhat fun, and has a lot of impressive visuals, themes and atmosphere, but it doesn't take long before it wears thin. The combat system isn't much fun once you get over the novelties, the gameplay is repetitive and there's no challenge. Alright game, but very much over rated.
  91. ClintG.
    Apr 16, 2008
    it alright but the hype got way out of hand like waaay out of hand, a few of my friends including myself actually didn't bother playing through the entire game as we got sick of it first and the lack of any multiplayer in an fps these days is not really acceptable anymore. It's a good rent.
  92. JohnH.
    May 19, 2008
    Just an average shooter. Great scenery, but no character details except on the Little Sisters. The splicers move so fast, you don't know what you're shooting at - they come off as two dimensional stick figures. You can pretty much play this one on auto-pilot with little though required. Contrary to one review, it ain't no Deus Ex.
  93. JaeC.
    Jun 12, 2008
    There's no way bioshock is better than crysis... absolutely no way, It's barely even opinion saying Crysis is better than it. Bioshock looked like it was going to be better but it wasn't at all. When you play bioshock, you get your first plasmid, you kill your first few enemies, you hack your first security thing you think it's a pretty great game, but you literally There's no way bioshock is better than crysis... absolutely no way, It's barely even opinion saying Crysis is better than it. Bioshock looked like it was going to be better but it wasn't at all. When you play bioshock, you get your first plasmid, you kill your first few enemies, you hack your first security thing you think it's a pretty great game, but you literally can feel the tediousness not even that far into the game. I beat bioshock, to beat bioshock, I beat Crysis because I couldn't stop playing, I knew it would be better to conserve than to beat it in one day but I couldn't help it. They both feature cool abilities and weapon upgrades, but I can honestly say Bioshock's coined "rpg aspect" is more dull than the upgrades and suit abilities in Crysis. Bioshock "laughs at fps games with static environments", so they make you walk through the same exact tunnels in the same exact underwater city, fighting the same exact enemies, and depressingly never having an interactive encounter with another "friendly" human being. There's not even modding to Bioshock which is a HUGE setback, imagine how much you could improve on the game if there was modding, but no no modding, no online play, not even a co-op story mode. The only thing I thought Crysis did wrong was how the aliens were. From the opening prologue you get so enticed, thinking there's some deadly subtle alien(s) lurking through the jungle linked to the discoveries made, but when I saw taht the aliens were just some flying, squid-like, things in metal armor it was kind of a let down. Either way I can't wait for a Crysis 2, and Bioshock left me unsatisfied, very unsatisfied. Expand
  94. bruceo
    Jun 28, 2008
    Starts off with some promise, though my first warning sign was the cartoonish purple blood spatter when you kill your first splicer, but tedious and boring by the end. Hacking, killing Splicers, and even the big daddies are intensly boring by half way through. I dare someone to tell me there is anything inovative about the level design. Boring, linear, find the key open the door level Starts off with some promise, though my first warning sign was the cartoonish purple blood spatter when you kill your first splicer, but tedious and boring by the end. Hacking, killing Splicers, and even the big daddies are intensly boring by half way through. I dare someone to tell me there is anything inovative about the level design. Boring, linear, find the key open the door level design that has plagued mediocre shooters from the begining is in full effect here. Yes the atmosphere is different and original, but I can't get over what a drudgery it was to finish this game. Hoping to find something exciting towards the end I was really disappointed when I finished the game. However well dressed up it was bioshock was a huge let down especially after all the glowing reviews. And the fact that it is listed in the top 5 above games like COD 4 and Crysis really makes me questions the credibility of the Metacritic scoring system. Expand
  95. SteeleC.
    Jun 29, 2008
    It's a great game, don't get me wrong. The graphics are wonderful, the infinite amount of strategy that can be used to destroy your enemies is very fun, and I particularly enjoy that. Only problems that I have are that it demands a bit much from your system in the PC version, and the SECUR-ROM rootkit. My take on this? If you don't have a particularly good computer, and can It's a great game, don't get me wrong. The graphics are wonderful, the infinite amount of strategy that can be used to destroy your enemies is very fun, and I particularly enjoy that. Only problems that I have are that it demands a bit much from your system in the PC version, and the SECUR-ROM rootkit. My take on this? If you don't have a particularly good computer, and can only play a few games or just rely on integrated graphics, get the XBOX 360 version. Otherwise, go full on ahead with the PC version. Just watch out for SECUR-ROM though. Expand
  96. AdamD
    Jul 12, 2008
    Maybe worth one play through, borrow it from a friend if you can cause you wont want to replay it. Lots of bright cartoony colors and awful annoying sounds. Hacking is painfuly boring and slows game play. All the enemies drop like 1 bullet and Eve (mana or magic energy) gets used up faster than it should. You basically have to be super conservative and can never really just unload on some Maybe worth one play through, borrow it from a friend if you can cause you wont want to replay it. Lots of bright cartoony colors and awful annoying sounds. Hacking is painfuly boring and slows game play. All the enemies drop like 1 bullet and Eve (mana or magic energy) gets used up faster than it should. You basically have to be super conservative and can never really just unload on some enemies. Expand
  97. KevinZ
    Jan 30, 2009
    This game was decent. Rapture is an amazing world, and levels are generally interesting. The atmosphere is good, and it remains creepy throughout. The characters are generally interesting and disturbed. However, it is far from perfect. They made a big deal when this came out about your moral choices having an effect on the world- the only choice is whether or not to kill the Little This game was decent. Rapture is an amazing world, and levels are generally interesting. The atmosphere is good, and it remains creepy throughout. The characters are generally interesting and disturbed. However, it is far from perfect. They made a big deal when this came out about your moral choices having an effect on the world- the only choice is whether or not to kill the Little Sisters, and you wind up with the same amount of Adam either way. The story line is incredibly disappointing after the plot twist- given the great setting I thought they would have been able to come up with a better conclusion. The second half of the game feels like it was rushed out the door, and you lose any motivation to do anything. In general, Bioshock is a great idea with fair to poor implementation, especially in the second half, where they seemed to have run out of creativity. Expand
  98. JimJ.
    Jan 4, 2009
    I'm not sophisticated enough to say specifically what was good and bad about this game. I will say that it was not fun to play. I felt like I was plodding through it. Just praying for the end. I've played HL, HL2, FEAR and Halo many times over and will play them all again, but I will never touch this game again. It's like lutefisk, you only need to try it once to know if I'm not sophisticated enough to say specifically what was good and bad about this game. I will say that it was not fun to play. I felt like I was plodding through it. Just praying for the end. I've played HL, HL2, FEAR and Halo many times over and will play them all again, but I will never touch this game again. It's like lutefisk, you only need to try it once to know if you'll ever try it again. Expand
  99. GabeM
    Mar 13, 2009
    Great setting and weapons. Guns come with upgradeable parts but it gives out so many upgrades that it eliminates replay value. However the different types of ammo are a nice addition to the weapons. Too bad the plasmids (special powers Jack receives) are fairly worthless besides two of them. The research minigame also hurts this game quite a bit. The twist thrown in half way through this Great setting and weapons. Guns come with upgradeable parts but it gives out so many upgrades that it eliminates replay value. However the different types of ammo are a nice addition to the weapons. Too bad the plasmids (special powers Jack receives) are fairly worthless besides two of them. The research minigame also hurts this game quite a bit. The twist thrown in half way through this game is horrendous but if you can look past that for its undertones on objectivism you might like the story aspect. Insanely easy game however. Expand
  100. SamP
    Apr 6, 2009
    This is by far not a bad game, and at times is an incredibly good game, but for the most part it is barely above average. It has an excellent plot and incredible environment (Which get old), but the weapons are ultimately average, as is the most important factor, gameplay. This is perhaps one of the most over-rated games I've seen in a while, more so even than COD4.
  101. Mar 4, 2013

1. A dark and astonishing masterpiece...I spend my career, and my gaming life, waiting for a moment when a game just astonishes me, when I can't believe what I'm seeing, what I'm doing. BioShock has five. [Sept 2007, p.66]
    The hours spent playing this masterpiece were the perfect encapsulation of why videogaming is such a favourite waste of time for so many of us. Thrilling, terrifying, moving, confusing, amusing, compelling, and very very dark. BioShock isn't simply the sign of gaming realising its true cinematic potential, but one where a game straddles so many entertainment art forms so expertly that it's the best demonstration yet how flexible this medium can be. It's no longer just another shooter wrapped up in a pretty game engine, but a story that exists and unfolds inside the most convincing and elaborate and artistic game world ever conceived.
    There is art here, despite what many would say isn't possible with games, from Roger Ebert to game designers like Hideo Kojima... BioShock stands as a monolithic example of the convergence of entertaining gameplay and an irresistibly sinister, engrossing storyline that encompasses a host of multifaceted characters. This is an essential gaming experience.