BioShock PC

8.5

1. hatrox.
    Jan 1, 2010
    Best game I've played in my entire life. Its beauty in the story, graphics and gameplay are simply unrivalled.
  2. thedude282
    Aug 25, 2007
    Incredible depth of character and story is what really pulls this game together--the pretty package is just icing on the cake. My only complaint is that the levels take entirely too long to load.
  3. CarlosTheBear
    Oct 3, 2008
    Truly epic, got my copy through Steam, zero bugs. Loses 1 mark for lack of variety of enemies.
  4. RobertA.
    Apr 8, 2008
    Bought it on steam. I only play the steam games with a 90+ rating. Really a stellar title. A deep storyline, and a dismal underwater setting that captures where 3d graphics look most realistic (in dark environments).
  5. MarkusR.
    Aug 5, 2008
    This game stunned me totaly. Splendid graphics, the story is amazing and the horror is great. A must own game for the fps lover.
  6. HI8R
    Jan 1, 2010
    Finished it on all 3 levels and both endings. Once you get the hang of it, it becomes fun and almost easy. Gameplay is reliable, smooth and consistant. A great balance of action and adventure without frustration. I give an 8 because the graphic style was a little outdated in my opinion even maxed out with DX10, but it works for this game. Im looking forward to Bioshock 2.
  7. DavidD.
    Oct 10, 2007
    Not as good as the hype promissed. The atmosphere and story are great, but the ai of the splicers is inconsistent, and the little sisters seem like something of an afterthought. I'm enjoying it, but I like HL2 much much more. There are also some inconsistencies with the graphics. Sometimes water obscures your view, sometimes it doesn't. Just seems like they "dressed up" part of Not as good as the hype promissed. The atmosphere and story are great, but the ai of the splicers is inconsistent, and the little sisters seem like something of an afterthought. I'm enjoying it, but I like HL2 much much more. There are also some inconsistencies with the graphics. Sometimes water obscures your view, sometimes it doesn't. Just seems like they "dressed up" part of the game, but it's not as finished as I would have expected. Expand
  8. ChrisD
    Oct 18, 2007
    This game was undoubtedly amazing, the atmosphere is great, the graphics are incredible and then the sound is great too! The story though is absolutely amazing also, but to the negatives. The only reason I gave it a 9 was because theres not much to go back into the game after you beat it, not even for the achievements, at least I didn't have the will to do so. But unless you do getThis game was undoubtedly amazing, the atmosphere is great, the graphics are incredible and then the sound is great too! The story though is absolutely amazing also, but to the negatives. The only reason I gave it a 9 was because theres not much to go back into the game after you beat it, not even for the achievements, at least I didn't have the will to do so. But unless you do get all the achievements through the first run, theres not really anything to go back and replay the game. Expand
  9. BenC.
    Oct 2, 2007
    If it feels good running all the graphics on low, then it must be good. Great fallout-esque setting, genuinely freaky setting and great storyline. Journal logs work very well at telling at giving backstory similar to the PDAs of Doom 3, but done better.
  10. Ben
    Aug 21, 2007
    All I can say is WOW, if the full version game is anything like the demo we certainly have a game that is going to be like no other for years to come. I have the game pre-loaded and pre-ordered on Steam and I am waiting in anticipation for the game to go gold. This game is more than just cheap thrills to give you a scare once in awhile, I actually felt tense throughout the whole demo,All I can say is WOW, if the full version game is anything like the demo we certainly have a game that is going to be like no other for years to come. I have the game pre-loaded and pre-ordered on Steam and I am waiting in anticipation for the game to go gold. This game is more than just cheap thrills to give you a scare once in awhile, I actually felt tense throughout the whole demo, wondering what the heck else is going to happen and when. I believe a good game eases you into the action and bases it's scares not on all the enemies that jump out, but on the anticipation of when and where something will happen, keeping up the suspense throughout and keeping the player on edge and making them feel the tension. I believe by the demo, Bioshock has done this. just like System Shock has done years before it. Great stuff. Expand
  11. StevenM.
    Aug 22, 2007
    It is hard to imagine giving this game anything less than a perfect 10. I agree there are minor glitches. However, the immersive atmosphere and the relentlessly intense action make this a must have. A true masterpiece of storytelling and design.
  12. JojoFine
    Sep 1, 2007
    People don't give this game enough credit for what it IS. The point of Bioshock it to bring life into the long-dead RPG-shooter genre. It certainly requires reflexes as well as resource management and skill-building, and I can understand how a die-hard shooter fan would want to forget about the micromanagement and just shoot things, while the RPG fan might complain about the People don't give this game enough credit for what it IS. The point of Bioshock it to bring life into the long-dead RPG-shooter genre. It certainly requires reflexes as well as resource management and skill-building, and I can understand how a die-hard shooter fan would want to forget about the micromanagement and just shoot things, while the RPG fan might complain about the fast-paced, first-person gameplay, but neither of those two archetypes should have bought this game to begin with. It's like playing chess and complaining that it isn't enough like checkers. This is a niche game and, while it contains shooter and RPG elements, essentially defines it's own genre. There are few elements of the game that should be objectionable to fan's of both RPGs and shooters, as the game does try to please everyone, and any open-minded gamer should be able to see the solid gameplay and exquisite storytelling present in Bioshock. This game reminds me a lot of Rainbow Six Vegas, and this is why. Vegas was an effort on the part of Ubisoft to rejuvenate the Rainbow Six squad-based tactical franchise. However, along the way, the game got dumbed down to be more accessible to a wider audience, with weapon and armor stats stripped down to the bare minimum and tactics enacted on the battlefield as opposed to in a pre-gameplay planning session. Bioshock does the same for RPG-shooters of the past, such as System Shock and Deus Ex. The gameplay is still there, and the main attraction is still the open-ended gameplay and the RPG decisions which would then translate into tangible advantages while playing in real time. However, the RPG elements have been shaved down to save the shooter fanatic from losing interest. Anyone who thinks that this game is overly complicated and therefore not as fun as a standard kill-fest obviously isn't coming into it with the proper intention of playing a game in which the satisfaction comes from being able to play the game your own way. The character-building options are extremely varied and provide interesting new gameplay options and if you chose to forgo taking advantage of these customization options, it's your own fault if you find the game boring and derivative. Expand
  13. VernR.
    Sep 10, 2007
    Right at the start I should mention this is the first game I've enjoyed in some time but... Firstly it's got that annoying little SecuROM issue which makes it a bitch to uninstall... The graphics look awesome when cranked up full but I can only play on slightly higher than medium :( which means they look nothing special. A more general graphical problem is the stage are just too Right at the start I should mention this is the first game I've enjoyed in some time but... Firstly it's got that annoying little SecuROM issue which makes it a bitch to uninstall... The graphics look awesome when cranked up full but I can only play on slightly higher than medium :( which means they look nothing special. A more general graphical problem is the stage are just too dark, I know it's under the sea and all but the contrast could be upped a bit. I was so happy to get to Arcadia with all it's greenery and light... and then it all died and went yellow-brown :( Following from the graphics the atmosphere was really good but the sudden bursts of music were irritating and tended to occur whilst Atlas was talking to me. Also the game is very linear which detracts from the atmosphere somewhat... a just charge attitude works fine. My main gripe is with the combat, I found it very easy and very samey (I'm playing on hard). Even with the inclusion of the re-spawn thingys I've rarely died and always seem to have enough ammo - the first Big Daddys are the only difficult battles I've had so far. The AI doesn't make the combat any better as the splicers either run straight at you or run away - chasing down fleeing splices gets old quite fast. It would be nice if they went to find reinforcement or setup ambushes or just something else. Then there's the wrench. I found the majority of combat to be a back and forwards close range dance whilst trying to hit my victim in the head with it (after setting them on fire). And there aren't really that many enemies... I think I've counted five splices and two types of big daddys I'm hoping I'll come across more but I suspect not... they just seem to be getting more health. Lastly there's the annoying hacking sub-game. It's fun the first few times but I must have hacked on the order of hundreds of things... it's getting tiresome. Expand
  14. BattleneterBattleneters
    Sep 4, 2007
    IF you want to enjoy Bioshock fully you MUST not rush through it. Spend time listening to all the recordings, looking for all the items and generally looking at the scenery. Treat it more like a shooting adventure opposed to a FPS. If you treat it like any other FPS and rush it you will miss a huge amount and do yourself a dis-service. If you liked games like Duke Nukem3D, Painkiller and IF you want to enjoy Bioshock fully you MUST not rush through it. Spend time listening to all the recordings, looking for all the items and generally looking at the scenery. Treat it more like a shooting adventure opposed to a FPS. If you treat it like any other FPS and rush it you will miss a huge amount and do yourself a dis-service. If you liked games like Duke Nukem3D, Painkiller and alike this is 100% for you. If you are a Half Life nutter that prefers FPS simulators opposed to atmosphere then look else where, this is not for you. The reviews are spot on in my opinion, this is no Doom3 that was over hyped, over rated and sucked. Bishock is hyped and rated correctly, it 100% delivers what it sets out to do, plenty of atmosphere and fun. Expand
  15. Shi
    Sep 5, 2007
    Its one of the best FPS games i have ever played(If not the best :P)It has everything you want action puzzles tactics and the game is full of art.So?Dont call yourself player if you havent played this masterpiece.
  16. RayP.
    Jan 2, 2008
    Great game with a wonderfull environment and soundtrack. Very processor intensive. Only application that I had to re-tune my overclock down to play.
  17. JgcxE.
    Oct 30, 2008
    Simply excellent. My penchant for melee weapons is well satisfied in this game - wrench is wonderful - and gameplay is excellent to - the hacking minigame is tremendous fun. This is one of the very few games i know that really immerses you - you can feel your heart beating at the same rate as Jacks. The modification aspect is good. On top of this, although this is not necessarily a good Simply excellent. My penchant for melee weapons is well satisfied in this game - wrench is wonderful - and gameplay is excellent to - the hacking minigame is tremendous fun. This is one of the very few games i know that really immerses you - you can feel your heart beating at the same rate as Jacks. The modification aspect is good. On top of this, although this is not necessarily a good indicator of a good game, i could not find a single flaw with bioshock. One part in which i did get stuck, did not put me off - i played it again and again, looking around for the code for the next level, and never got bored. Darkly beautiful. Expand
  18. JoeF.
    Jan 4, 2008
    Even after completion i feel touched by the game, like i really was and am now in rapture the way the game tells it's story delivers it's "WOW" by far better than anything i have ever played. If you miss this you wont get the oppertunity again for a long time.
  19. knillboggK
    Oct 7, 2008
    Amazing game from start to finish. Not a standard shooter in any case, and hugely reminiscent of ss2. There are some strange points in the game, but over all it is just a game, remember that when you come to a "power to the people station". Everything else in the game was top notch, well done, and different in a good way.
  20. John
    Feb 4, 2008
    Great game, but way to may vending machines to hack. That gets old quick.
  21. ErwinR.
    May 30, 2008
    Breathtaking, underwater noir, art-deco, fantasia, the philosophy of Ayn Rand gone more wrong than it really is, and a creepy, horror, techno-thriller plot to go on top, who could ask for more?
  22. MichalB.
    Jun 20, 2008
    Great story, great audio-visuals, great gameplay. What else do no need to say that this game isn't one of the best games of all time?
  23. ChrisM.
    Jun 4, 2008
    "Totally sucked. It crashed my computer after 15 min of boring, crap quality play. One reviewer said this game gets you hooked immediately. Not So." Randall, that's because you're a moron who likes professional wrestling!
  24. ChrisD
    Jun 4, 2008
    "Its impossible to maintain suspension of disbelief when the hyper-advanced genetic and AI technology was supposed to have existed in the 1950's, and when these ridiculous super-powers were supposed to have been marketed by a genius, visionary Tycoon. Intensely stupid." But a game that involves aliens from another UNIVERSE(half life 2) that's pretty believable! Thanks for being "Its impossible to maintain suspension of disbelief when the hyper-advanced genetic and AI technology was supposed to have existed in the 1950's, and when these ridiculous super-powers were supposed to have been marketed by a genius, visionary Tycoon. Intensely stupid." But a game that involves aliens from another UNIVERSE(half life 2) that's pretty believable! Thanks for being "intensely stupid"! Expand
  25. JasonW.
    Jul 3, 2008
    This game is good but it is one of the most overated games of recent times. It suffers from game mechanics which break the suspension of disbelief regulary. Looks beautiful but the awe wears thin pretty quick, ultimately suffers from the Doom3 - everything looks plastic syndrome. NOT better than Stalker, Crysis or the HL2 series.
  26. MagyaryG
    Jan 1, 2010
    This game was maded in 2007 but still perfect feeling to play with it. The story the graphic the sound... it was a perfect job absolutely. Can't wait the secound part.
  27. M.B
    Jan 24, 2010
    The game is REALY fun, It's a waste of time NOT playing it. But.... It's WAY too easy. I only played through it once... And now its the second time for me :D Pre-Purchased Bioshock 2 :D Hope I can Pre-Load it too :D
  28. HarrieH
    Jan 3, 2010
    Bioshock is one of the best games I've ever played, game play, storyline, sound, and graphics all top notch, loved the water effects. I've played it several times through, always found content I missed before. Can't wait for BS2!
  29. TomV.
    Nov 22, 2007
    I haven't played many FPS games [since Quake 2]. But the awesome visual and audio experience new games offer got me intrigued with this one. The story line is unique and compelling and the game play is fun. If offers just enough handholding to get those new [or renewed] to FPS games up to speed. I am really having fun with this game.
  30. AndrewBurg
    Oct 1, 2007
    Well after a lot of trailers, TV commercials, teasers and demos Bioshock has come to PC and Xbox360 and I can honestly say, I'm impressed.
    I wouldn't say it's entirely new, but pretty original in any case. It's got an amazing theme, atmosphere and characters. You'll find yourself facing logic puzzles and very tough foes, but to almost every problem there's generally an easier alternative; so it's best to keep your wits about you, especially during the tougher parts.
    Graphics-wise the 360 is well equipped but it's pretty tough on the PC. For those who have the capability you will be generously rewarded by the stunning detail of the characters, and ofcourse the underwater city enviroment, which has been very well designed on screen and very believable. Overall I found it entertaining, sometimes frustrating and always suspensive and I believe this game delivers home what any good FPS should provide. (An amphibian one that is!)
  31. DavidMoser
    Oct 13, 2007
    Although gameplay and plot advancement are still mostly standard FPS fare, the many uses of "Plasmids" lend an exciting and creative element that helps immerse you in a beautifully crafted social experiment gone wrong. The story is well thought out and keeps you playing, nervous at every step and jumping at shadows in the flickering lights of Rapture. The many layers of morality areAlthough gameplay and plot advancement are still mostly standard FPS fare, the many uses of "Plasmids" lend an exciting and creative element that helps immerse you in a beautifully crafted social experiment gone wrong. The story is well thought out and keeps you playing, nervous at every step and jumping at shadows in the flickering lights of Rapture. The many layers of morality are explored as you try to rediscover what exactly happened to this place, the only record of which is given piece by piece in the audio diaries of residents. For those looking for an interesting break from their WWII shooter, this is a godsend. Expand
  32. JamesR.
    Dec 15, 2007
    Finally a FPS that isn't just killing the same old monsters in different rooms. This is a game that allows you to think and make discisions that actually effect the outcome of the game. Count one copy sold of BioShock 2.
  33. MattB.
    Dec 31, 2007
    The art of deception smoothly polished on to the storyline of Bioshock enhances the real sense of immersion.
  34. CodyS.
    Dec 8, 2007
    I liked the game a lot. It had a great amount of atmosphere and the story telling was top notch. I wasn't particualrly happy with the 30 second FMV endings. Nevertheless, probably my favorite game of the year so far. If you liked Deus Ex, you will like this.
  35. OscarS.
    Oct 4, 2007
    I found this to be the most compelling and revolutionary shooter since Half-Life 2. Then again some people think Half-Life 2 wasn't revolutionary at all. The game is very storybased and don't think it's an rpg. It isn't, it's straight up FPS but with search bodies and stashes for objects. Try it, if you don't like it don't play it, but you owe it to I found this to be the most compelling and revolutionary shooter since Half-Life 2. Then again some people think Half-Life 2 wasn't revolutionary at all. The game is very storybased and don't think it's an rpg. It isn't, it's straight up FPS but with search bodies and stashes for objects. Try it, if you don't like it don't play it, but you owe it to yourself to try it. The 60's visual design, the genetic powers, the weapon upgrades, and the story make this the best game of 2007 in my opinion. Expand
  36. HenryJ.
    Aug 16, 2007
    The greatest video game I've ever played. Who cares about multi-player. No multi-player game I've played ( and I've played a few!) has ever come close to this. Immersive, scary and 'original' - this to me is the key. Somebody actually created something original in the gaming industry, progress at last. HALO 4? No thanks. BioShock has clearly shown regurgitation is The greatest video game I've ever played. Who cares about multi-player. No multi-player game I've played ( and I've played a few!) has ever come close to this. Immersive, scary and 'original' - this to me is the key. Somebody actually created something original in the gaming industry, progress at last. HALO 4? No thanks. BioShock has clearly shown regurgitation is no longer enough any more in the gaming industry. Now go out and buy it! Expand
  37. AMikeS.
    Aug 21, 2007
    The closest thing to actually being in a movie released so far. An incredible piece of interactive fiction.
  38. Chris
    Aug 21, 2007
    In most first person shooters, where everything is laid out in black and white. You shoot, move on, and shoot some more. But in Bioshock you have to plan ahead, look at what is there and formulate a plan to get past it. You have to juggle resources just in order to survive. That and an excellent story and narrative add up to one on the most engrossing and jaw-dropping games I have ever played.
  39. ThomasB.
    Aug 21, 2007
    The game is intense and the weapons are not the same old shot gun, 9mm and rocket llaucher. Even though the plasmids are reminesent of the Jedi Knight games, the do make the fighting much more entertaining. However the environment and interactiveness of the game is nothing special at all. In those aspects, its just like any other FPS.
  40. ShaunD.
    Aug 21, 2007
    I want to start off by saying that I am not a PC gamer; in fact, I prefer consoles. But in the case of Bioshock, I couldn't choose.Amazing atmosphere, wonderful AI, and the best water effects ever in a game make this one of the greatest games in recent days.
  41. JesusY.
    Aug 22, 2007
    So fresh and original. A little weird at first but well worth the time. Engrossing with plenty of re-playability. The art-deco Rapture is one of the most interesting worlds created in a video game. Reminds me of myst in a weird way.
  42. IanF.
    Aug 24, 2007
    This was worth the wait...anyone who nitpicks this game obviously wouldn't know originality if it hit them in the face. Bioshock is a refreshing adventure in a gaming industry crowded with lacklustre, unfairly hyped games and sell-out franchises (*cough*HALO*cough cough*) turned out on a daily basis. The design is beautiful, and the music and sound effects, combined with a dark, This was worth the wait...anyone who nitpicks this game obviously wouldn't know originality if it hit them in the face. Bioshock is a refreshing adventure in a gaming industry crowded with lacklustre, unfairly hyped games and sell-out franchises (*cough*HALO*cough cough*) turned out on a daily basis. The design is beautiful, and the music and sound effects, combined with a dark, moody environment makes for a breathtaking experience. This is the first game in years that I actually enjoy playing. So what if it doesn't have multiplayer (one of the most overrated features in gaming history)? Bioshock is a brilliant piece of virtual art that any discerning gamer should not be without. More games NEED to be like this. Expand
  43. TL.
    Aug 25, 2007
    A very good game, but not a great one. The play mechanics really needed to be tweaked--since you respawn at the closest "vita chamber" you can wear enemies down by fighting, dying and respawning ad nauseum. The story is completely predictable, an amalgamation of every worn out science fiction cliche in the book and the characters are all kind of blah. None of them stick with you for more A very good game, but not a great one. The play mechanics really needed to be tweaked--since you respawn at the closest "vita chamber" you can wear enemies down by fighting, dying and respawning ad nauseum. The story is completely predictable, an amalgamation of every worn out science fiction cliche in the book and the characters are all kind of blah. None of them stick with you for more than five minutes after you finish the game. Compare the stereotypical villain from Bioshock with Robert Culp's fussy, supercilious head scientist in Half-Life 2. Expand
  44. Variatas
    Aug 25, 2007
    Looks incredible, even if you aren't running the best hardware, in which case it looks mind-blowingly awesome. Sounds outstanding; which sets up the environment and brings it to a strange, twisted life. The story is one of the best and most eniticing narratives ever told in a game. All in all, this is a Game of the Year, and its only August.
  45. ketracelwhite
    Aug 25, 2007
    What a game! When I read the first previews I was slightly disapointed because they said it was missing a lot of the rpg- elements that where in System Shock, (I feared this would turn out to be just another shooter with a nice story), but wtf, this game just rocks! A true masterpiece!
  46. FrankieP.
    Aug 26, 2007
    The hype is justified. As absorbing and as thrilling as Half Life 2. Packs as big a "wow factor" punch as Far Cry. Runs as beautifully and glides along as nicely as Medal Of Honour. As original, quirky and as innovative as my personal favourite, No One Lives Forever 1 & 2. If you have the PC to run it, it is THE reason why you bought a powerful PC in the first place! If you haven't The hype is justified. As absorbing and as thrilling as Half Life 2. Packs as big a "wow factor" punch as Far Cry. Runs as beautifully and glides along as nicely as Medal Of Honour. As original, quirky and as innovative as my personal favourite, No One Lives Forever 1 & 2. If you have the PC to run it, it is THE reason why you bought a powerful PC in the first place! If you haven't it is THE reason to upgrade NOW! Expand
  47. JarrodLofy
    Aug 27, 2007
    Amazingly horrible bugs but once you do have the game running consistently quite frankly i don't think i have ever seen a better put together game in my whole life that not only has an involving story that will grab you and never let go but also a creepy atmosphere that has me scared shitless after only a few hours i really don't think i have played a scarier game in my wholeAmazingly horrible bugs but once you do have the game running consistently quite frankly i don't think i have ever seen a better put together game in my whole life that not only has an involving story that will grab you and never let go but also a creepy atmosphere that has me scared shitless after only a few hours i really don't think i have played a scarier game in my whole life way above F.E.A.R. and half life 2 combined Expand
  48. Kevin
    Aug 27, 2007
    Superb. Game design breaks new grounds and sets new standards. PC graphics blow away the 360 version and are simply the best there is. Works great right out of the box. 2K has resolved the authentication / cd-key problems and is also resolving the widescreen issues in the near future - great support from 2K Games. Basically, believe the hype and don't let naysayers sway you away from Superb. Game design breaks new grounds and sets new standards. PC graphics blow away the 360 version and are simply the best there is. Works great right out of the box. 2K has resolved the authentication / cd-key problems and is also resolving the widescreen issues in the near future - great support from 2K Games. Basically, believe the hype and don't let naysayers sway you away from purchasing this game - it's as amazing a single player experience as Far Cry was 3 years ago. Expand
  49. GeorgeG.
    Aug 27, 2007
    This game reminded me of Deus Ex, and that's a very good thing. The story line is fresh and the audio and radio "narative" kept me in the story. The graphics are amazing on a high end machine and still quite nice on one that was high end three years ago. It ran smoothly, never crashed through my initial run. The weapons and powers are fun to use and to experiment with. The Copy This game reminded me of Deus Ex, and that's a very good thing. The story line is fresh and the audio and radio "narative" kept me in the story. The graphics are amazing on a high end machine and still quite nice on one that was high end three years ago. It ran smoothly, never crashed through my initial run. The weapons and powers are fun to use and to experiment with. The Copy protection/FairUse Restriction is over the top for a Steam game, however. Also it has a very linear and scripted feel for a game that was touted as being open ended, however most FPS have this failing. All in all, I'd rank it above DeusEx, HL, HL2, or even System Shock2. Great game. Expand
  50. Nacho
    Aug 27, 2007
    If you're going to review a game, at least make educated statements. The reason a reviewer's grapical problems existed was because his video card was NOT up to the REQUIRED system specifications. It's not enough to have a DirectX 9 video card, it also must support Shader Model 3. It gives the video card specs right on the box. If this is ignored there will be nothing butIf you're going to review a game, at least make educated statements. The reason a reviewer's grapical problems existed was because his video card was NOT up to the REQUIRED system specifications. It's not enough to have a DirectX 9 video card, it also must support Shader Model 3. It gives the video card specs right on the box. If this is ignored there will be nothing but graphical 'glitches'. I orinally scored this at 10, because I couldn't give it a 9.8, because I felt it was that good. The game is still excellent, but now that I've completed about 70% of the game, I feel that it could have used one more month of QA testing. The widescreen thing was a design decision which is being adressed by developers now. However, there are just enough on the issues that have come up since the games release to make me re-assess. Mostly the widescreen decision. But the copy protection for the non-digital purchasers is a slap in the face to those that spend hard earned money. I don't know of any other software that would require me to un-install it, before I do a system format, or I lose one of my validations. So if I have a system crash and have no way to recover other than format my HD, there goes an activation. If I just forget because I haven't played the game for a while . . .there goes another activation. I guess I'd just have to resort to some other means of getting my game to work. This copy protection is one of the reasons piracy is so prevalent on the Internet. If I hadn't purchased this game off of Steam, and purchased it in a store. I'd be looking for an alternate means of running the software, if you catch my meaning. Expand
  51. TomJ.
    Aug 29, 2007
    The + AMBIANCE, GFX, ART, SOUND! The - Gameplay, Repetitive, AI, Replay After only 3 hours, the game got boring, kill, kill, open door, save or kill girl, blah. i was expecting more then just repetitive gameplay. this game shoulda been more like an adventure, what a waste of beautifull environments. Conclusion Just another FPS. with great gfx , sound & art.
  52. JasonN.
    Sep 1, 2007
    This game is awsome good details, and work they put into making it realistic.... never seen any other game as realistic as this game.
  53. LiboW.
    Sep 1, 2007
    This game is superb in its execution. For people who have "missed something," play it again; you might find a change in combination weapons/plasmids or something else that would fill that missing gap. Though comparing oblivion and bioshock is like comparing apples and oranges. If oblivion received such wide-acclaim (which btw is still one of my fav. games of all time), then bioshock by This game is superb in its execution. For people who have "missed something," play it again; you might find a change in combination weapons/plasmids or something else that would fill that missing gap. Though comparing oblivion and bioshock is like comparing apples and oranges. If oblivion received such wide-acclaim (which btw is still one of my fav. games of all time), then bioshock by means deserves it also. Just because a game is linear, doesn't mean it's bad (halflife 1/2 was extremely linear, just because you had some "space" in some places doesn't render it a grand theft auto type of a game), the linearity allows for a movie like composition, which was the effect bioshock was going for. Expand
  54. AhrelF.
    Sep 14, 2007
    Good game because of it's story and setting. Without both I doubt that many would be as enamored with it. A fairly standard shooter, you've probably done everything this game offers in other games, so don't expect anything new. But what it does do, it does right and on point. The main problem is the AI, it isn't living up to that 2nd letter at all. Only the Big Daddies Good game because of it's story and setting. Without both I doubt that many would be as enamored with it. A fairly standard shooter, you've probably done everything this game offers in other games, so don't expect anything new. But what it does do, it does right and on point. The main problem is the AI, it isn't living up to that 2nd letter at all. Only the Big Daddies and Little Sisters execute some modicrum of intelligence, and it's definitley not dynamic. Everything else is so heavily scripted any season gamer will recognize when and where to use certain skills for maximum benefit. I would have liked it to be a little more transparent. And there is very little environment interaction outside of burning oil, or electrifying water. Big Daddies are pushovers on anything but Hard mode. I was quite let down by how easy they were to put down, esp as you grow more nad more powerful. The hardest ones are the first three you encounter...if you choose to kill them then. Of course you can come back later and wipe hte floor without even being touched about mid-way through the game. Don't even ask about near the end of the game....you're a steam roller then. Aside from those qualms, it's a great game. But I can't give it more than an 8.0 -- it's mroe style less substance. Not a bad thing, but certainly undeserviing of anything too much higher in this gamers opinion. Expand
  55. aar
    Sep 1, 2007
    Great story, great atmosphere, and fun gameplay. Overall, a very polished game that provides an experience few games do.
  56. Impaled
    Sep 1, 2007
    It's like System Shock 2 but with less inventory management and scariness and more freakish mutants with guns and pipes rushing you with an intent to kill! It's a bunch more streamlined and fast paced than Shock 2 but that's fine by me.
  57. JamesB.
    Sep 21, 2007
    By far one of the best games i have EVER played, given 10/10 from PC Gamer and 96% out of 100% i can't honestley see any game coming near enough to even touch this is the near future (that includes Halo 3 ^^).
  58. Jaagi
    Sep 2, 2007
    All in all a great game, the surroundings are stunning and although the combination of plasmids and weapons might seem a little confusing at first once you get in to it, it works like a charm. On the negative side, the final battle was waaay to easy compared to the rest.
  59. ZachO.
    Sep 24, 2007
    Certainly not a bad game by any standards, I had a fun time through and through with it. Yet, there is plenty holding it back. For starters it is obvious the game was designed around the Xbox, the interface makes this plain and clear. The lack of an inventory system hurts the game in my opinion, what you mean I have to eat that candy bar as soon as I touch it? The game is also BUGGY. It Certainly not a bad game by any standards, I had a fun time through and through with it. Yet, there is plenty holding it back. For starters it is obvious the game was designed around the Xbox, the interface makes this plain and clear. The lack of an inventory system hurts the game in my opinion, what you mean I have to eat that candy bar as soon as I touch it? The game is also BUGGY. It would only run properly if I reformatted to XP, and it would not work at all under Vista. The DRM is also a huge annoyance and VERY intrusive. But, like I said, once the game works it is very immersive and fun as mentioned countless times before below me. I just wish there wasn't so much holding it back. Expand
  60. RayH.
    Sep 26, 2007
    The graphics are stunning, the simple and easy to use controls work very well. The story was something I would have expected out a novel. I haven't had a single player experience I enjoyed this much, and could repeat for a long time. A must buy.
  61. VincentL.
    Sep 26, 2007
    Awesome FPS ... perfect atmosphere and graphism ... One point lost because of it's so short !!
  62. FotisJ.
    Sep 26, 2007
    Impressive grafics and interesting game play on the plus side, on the negative side is the fact that we play a dumbed down version of System Shock. Certainly a game you shouldn't miss but no real milestone in the genre history.
  63. MilesM.
    Sep 4, 2007
    Amazing graphics, original storyline and characters, amazingly customizable weapons and abilities, fluid sound and replayability for different outcomes give this game a perfect 10.
  64. PhilT.
    Sep 4, 2007
    Overall a good game. Good graphics and the gameplay is, for the most part, fun. In my opinion it is worth the purchase price. I enjoyed the gameplay, with the multiple ammo types and plasmids. It was a lot of fun, switching back and forth depending on the situation. The audio is top-notch, easily the best part of the game. Honestly, the problem was with plot points. The endings were Overall a good game. Good graphics and the gameplay is, for the most part, fun. In my opinion it is worth the purchase price. I enjoyed the gameplay, with the multiple ammo types and plasmids. It was a lot of fun, switching back and forth depending on the situation. The audio is top-notch, easily the best part of the game. Honestly, the problem was with plot points. The endings were definitely rushed, and it disappointed me that choices I made literally in the first 3 hours of the game so directly influenced the ending. I guess I fell victim to expecting too much of the narrative, and I tried to play the middle in terms of morality. I didn't want to pick one path over another, since I figured it was an game that was deeper than it turned out to be in the end. That was a mistake, as trying to play the middle chose my ending for me. Even though the game touts itself as being morally gray, it essentially makes it black and white in the end. Make one decision, just one, that it deems morally reprehensible and you get a the 'bad guy' ending. You literally have to be a saint the entire game to get the 'good guy' ending. That is extremely disappointing. The ending completely ruined the game overall for me. Up until literally the last 15 minutes of the game I would have rated this easily 90+. After finishing it...not so much. Oh well, I still have some hope for the Half Life story. Hopefully it will resolve itself in a satisfactory manner (Although I'm a pessimist and I doubt they will pull it off I can hope they will actually follow through). All that being said, it's a fun game that I recommend. I just don't think it warrants the scores of 90+ it is getting. Maybe, just maybe, if I am in a good mood, it gets a 90. After playing through the whole thing I say it is definitely high 80's, but not high 90's. A good spiritual successor to System Shock, and I am glad a game like this is being made and I don't regret spending my money on it, but definitely not better overall than System Shock 2. SS2 was much, much, MUCH better in terms of story, although Bioshock probably has SS2 beat in terms of overall gameplay. I would personally prefer story over gameplay, but meh. You take what you can get. Expand
  65. SteveC
    Sep 5, 2007
    As far as FPSs go, its one of the top 5 for me. Complaints that the complex weapon/power system is "boring" obviously stem from the fact that it isn't a run-n-gun splatterfest. it's the thinking-man's FPS. The countless combinations of powers and weapons lead to unique and meaningful attack choices for specialized enemies. As for the wrench, need we look in the direction of As far as FPSs go, its one of the top 5 for me. Complaints that the complex weapon/power system is "boring" obviously stem from the fact that it isn't a run-n-gun splatterfest. it's the thinking-man's FPS. The countless combinations of powers and weapons lead to unique and meaningful attack choices for specialized enemies. As for the wrench, need we look in the direction of Halo 2 or Half-life? Melee weapons are always going to be powerful, the reason being that in order to use them you have to get very close to your enemy, and at that range its tough to miss. Eliminate your expectations, the game accomplishes accomplishes its own goals. If you die thirty times in a row, its not because the game isn't good, it's because you aren't. Expand
  66. AdrianB.
    Sep 5, 2007
    This game is amazing. If you got to do something you can do it in milion different ways. Also every time you load the game opponents are in different spots so sometimes it is not very easy to finish a mission.
  67. DanT.
    Sep 6, 2007
    This is a very good game, and hats off to Irrational for doing a great job creating an imaginative art deco setting with its own unique atmosphere that doesn't fall into one of the predictable cliches of medieval fantasy, future sci-fi or modern day ultra-realism. But there's nothing in this game in terms of gameplay that Irrational didn't do 8 years ago with System Shock This is a very good game, and hats off to Irrational for doing a great job creating an imaginative art deco setting with its own unique atmosphere that doesn't fall into one of the predictable cliches of medieval fantasy, future sci-fi or modern day ultra-realism. But there's nothing in this game in terms of gameplay that Irrational didn't do 8 years ago with System Shock 2. In fact it's bit more simplistic. The story is decent, but is mostly told via a bunch of audio tapes, recorded and left lying about for no good reason. The lack of any grey area in the moral choices posed to the player is genuinely frustrating to anyone whose morals aren't either diabolical or saintly - That'd be most human beings. Again, a very good game, worth playing, but presently being overhyped by people who have either never played Deus Ex and/or System Shock 2, or love those games SO much they're going to give anything like them a perfect score. Irrational will do a more progressive game like this in future, this is really just a prettier version of what they've done just as well in the past. Expand
  68. JasonL.
    Sep 7, 2007
    This game is unbelieveable. It truely is a match for Half Life 2 in terms of graphics, gameplay, storyline, immersion and just plain coolness. It continues in the same "scariness" of System Shock 2 which we all fondly remember but takes advantage of all the new technology since then to make this a memorable experience.
  69. Josh
    Sep 9, 2007
    The storyline the visuals, the sound, everything is perfect. Another main thing I enjoy is how scary it is. I think alot of people forget about that fact.
  70. ColtonS.
    Oct 2, 2008
    One of the best games of all time, its original, creepy, and exciting in all shapes and forms.
  71. KevinL.
    Oct 5, 2008
    Absolutely breath taking, this game has probably the best atmosphere in a game ever. The plot is extremely well written, the game play is very unique and the characters are unforgettable. Your missing out one of the best games ever made if you haven't played this.
  72. brandonl.
    Oct 6, 2008
    This game is amazing. The level of detail and the amount of work gone into the game with an intense and unpredicatable AI. What is so greate about this game is how they intergrate 'Plasmids' they do it ever so balanced so you neither use gun or plasmids too much of the other. The game gives you a choice, be good, or be evil. This makes for 2 great twists (I personally choose This game is amazing. The level of detail and the amount of work gone into the game with an intense and unpredicatable AI. What is so greate about this game is how they intergrate 'Plasmids' they do it ever so balanced so you neither use gun or plasmids too much of the other. The game gives you a choice, be good, or be evil. This makes for 2 great twists (I personally choose good) there was so much to do in this game I could not stop playing. Expand
  73. DylanB.
    Jan 8, 2008
    Overall, the game was excellent. One of the best games I have played in a long time. Graphics are exceptional, gameplay and storyline are extremely good. But, the one thing I found lacking was finding the Little Sisters. There were parts where I looked everywhere and could not find the Little Sister even though there was supposed to be one on the level. Definately worth the money.
  74. DerekN.
    Feb 6, 2008
    This game is so sick and I really enjoyed playing it.
  75. BrianW.
    Mar 28, 2008
    This game is breathtaking, absolutely stunning and absolutely sick. I wish to thank the absolutely warped genius minds that created this. Buy it.
  76. JustinC.
    Mar 3, 2008
    This is one of the best games ever. Ignore the users who criticize it, they are just too stupid to understand the themes behind the game (no exaggeration, this game is a work of art). The fact that people consider this game sub par is representative of how degraded our society has become, preferring mindless shooting games like Halo 3 instead of truly deep games like this one.
  77. KurtG.
    Apr 29, 2008
    Amazing, a superb adrenaline rush the whole way through.
  78. MonkeyV.
    Apr 3, 2008
    It really is just that good. I have been playing PC games since 1980, and I this is easily one of the most impressive and wonderful gaming experiences of my life. I urge any and all players to take the time to play Bioshock. I can guarantee you it is worth it.
  79. KimV.
    Apr 4, 2008
    Game of the Year 2007, I don't really think much else needs to be said, for indepth information I suggest reading one of the numerous reviews giving the game a perfect score.
  80. Cory
    Apr 5, 2008
    Very good game over rated quit a bit but still a great game none the less.
  81. JamesF.
    Apr 6, 2008
    Incredible game, don't come into it expecting something other than a Story driven FPS. The departures are evident only after playing it through a couple levels. The ability to customize how you kill enemies, is where this game takes on a life of its own. The story is deeply engaging, and the combat is challenging, with out being ridiculous. There are no puzzles, only gameplay, with Incredible game, don't come into it expecting something other than a Story driven FPS. The departures are evident only after playing it through a couple levels. The ability to customize how you kill enemies, is where this game takes on a life of its own. The story is deeply engaging, and the combat is challenging, with out being ridiculous. There are no puzzles, only gameplay, with great story elements, and customization. The best FPS I have ever played, and would beg anyone to buy it, and give it a couple levels to let it sink in. Expand
  82. LiamW.
    May 5, 2008
    Bioshock was probably the best game i have ever played. The storyline, graphics, and game overall were wonderful. You could even see the tiny little watermarks on the fish.
  83. FrazerS.
    May 8, 2008
    This game is brilliant, i played it through with crap graphics the first time and it still scared the hell out of me. The rating of 10 is used with caution though as no game is perfect; it's a good game but at the end of the day it's just another shooter with good graphics that make the appeal of it larger. At the end of the day, if you want a good fright, buy this.
  84. Antonio
    Jul 16, 2008
    OK. Here's my take on Bioshock. It's a strong game that was (usually) a pleasure to play. However, it was truly slightly overhyped... The game was too much on the shooter side while I expected more bits of art and psychology (at least this is how the game was presented in reviews). The things I liked: the environment, audio diaries (though they could sound louder), big OK. Here's my take on Bioshock. It's a strong game that was (usually) a pleasure to play. However, it was truly slightly overhyped... The game was too much on the shooter side while I expected more bits of art and psychology (at least this is how the game was presented in reviews). The things I liked: the environment, audio diaries (though they could sound louder), big daddies/little sisters (the girlish cry over the fallen daddy, saving the sister animation Expand
  85. Jake.
    Jul 25, 2008
    This is an AMAZING GAME and a MUST BUY!!! great story line with wonderful graphics. Keeps you ready but surprised at every turn!
  86. JoshM.
    Aug 5, 2008
    one of the most innovative and original games in years. my only complaint is that the hacking minigame gets boring after the first playthrough.
  87. RyanD.
    Sep 5, 2008
    Amazing game. It combines the literary works of Ayn Rand with an excellent shooter RPG. The story is very well written with lots of exposition and plot twists. The graphics for water effects are the best so far. The audio, including the voice acting, is top notch. Lots of ways to kill your enemies provides replay value.
  88. MichaelK.
    Jan 1, 2009
    BioShock provides a linear guide, but at the same time, freedom. It has an incredible attention to detail, unsurpassed atmosphere, and solid, varied gameplay. To those who find the game to easy, I suggest upping the difficulty. The ammo will run low, the fear will set in, and the Big Daddies become something to truly fear. It challenges the political, philosophical and ethical norms and BioShock provides a linear guide, but at the same time, freedom. It has an incredible attention to detail, unsurpassed atmosphere, and solid, varied gameplay. To those who find the game to easy, I suggest upping the difficulty. The ammo will run low, the fear will set in, and the Big Daddies become something to truly fear. It challenges the political, philosophical and ethical norms and even subverts its own medium. A rarity not to be missed. Expand
  89. bioshockrules
    Oct 28, 2009
    HIgh quality gaming. Great storyline, great graphical performance and stability. Wide range of weapons more varied than the traditional guns and grenades. Each weapon has upgrades and some can be invented. Enemy turrets and cameras can be hacked to your advantage or purchased. Economic system is great. AI superb. One person rated it 3 and said it was not challenging. I bet he hasnt played HIgh quality gaming. Great storyline, great graphical performance and stability. Wide range of weapons more varied than the traditional guns and grenades. Each weapon has upgrades and some can be invented. Enemy turrets and cameras can be hacked to your advantage or purchased. Economic system is great. AI superb. One person rated it 3 and said it was not challenging. I bet he hasnt played it on hard without vita-chambers. Strategy is important. No encounter ever plays out the same. Genetic modification and Ecological AI is cool. This is the best game in the universe. Cant wait for Bioshock2 and Bioshock3. If you dont play this game, you truly miss out on the game to be. You got to be silly not to play this game. 2K games has really done a great job. 5 stars for them. The only bug is that upon launching the game in Vista, the game switches from full screen to windowed. It only happens once and the game quality more than makes up for that is relatively tiny bug compared to the game's performance. Expand
  90. myname
    Mar 5, 2009
    To undying zombie: try to rate the game for what it IS, not for what it isn't..retard. you focused on such things as the promises and securom. okay, the vita-chambers suck but thanks to it, you aren't forced to watch the loading screen often. a similiar thing was introduced in Prey and the only difference was, that you had to shoot thingies. BioShock is absolutely perfect, To undying zombie: try to rate the game for what it IS, not for what it isn't..retard. you focused on such things as the promises and securom. okay, the vita-chambers suck but thanks to it, you aren't forced to watch the loading screen often. a similiar thing was introduced in Prey and the only difference was, that you had to shoot thingies. BioShock is absolutely perfect, wonderful etc. Dumping the whole shooting aspect, the idea of Rapture itself, the style, the characters, plot, plasmids, music, graphics, Daddies and Sisters and conections to Ayn Rand's Filosophy...it's just perfect. i've finished it a few times and still start it again. Expand
  91. TimF
    May 20, 2009
    I don't see what everyone else posting their own votes are complaining about. BioShock is simply the best singleplayer FPS out there. Lowering the game from a 10 to a 1 simply because they are new to gaming and can't be bothered to play the game on a real computer is shameful. The puzzles are an extraordinarily nice touch to break monotony and the AI is amazing. This game I don't see what everyone else posting their own votes are complaining about. BioShock is simply the best singleplayer FPS out there. Lowering the game from a 10 to a 1 simply because they are new to gaming and can't be bothered to play the game on a real computer is shameful. The puzzles are an extraordinarily nice touch to break monotony and the AI is amazing. This game deserves a 9 simply for the storyline. All the other reviews only touch on how inept they (the user reviewer) are at seeing a game as a game, not playing it on a real computer, their own single-minded sight and its brilliance. BioShock is an amazing game and shouldn't be singled out because someone else cant run it and another has no idea how to install it. Expand
  92. Yugemos
    May 28, 2009
    This game was REALLY buggy when i first got it and i had problems similar to those posted here but i upgraded my graphics card to an 8500gt 512mb and it ran perfectly. most of the time, the bad visuals and bugs are the computers fault. now on to the game good points: the visuals are beautiful (if you have a good enough graphics card) and the storyline is great. the plasmids make a nice This game was REALLY buggy when i first got it and i had problems similar to those posted here but i upgraded my graphics card to an 8500gt 512mb and it ran perfectly. most of the time, the bad visuals and bugs are the computers fault. now on to the game good points: the visuals are beautiful (if you have a good enough graphics card) and the storyline is great. the plasmids make a nice change from your average run and gun gameplay. Rapture is an extremely beautiful place and even with the great story there still an enormous amount of backstory that you can discover with the tapes. bad points: the vita chambers are a bit of an immersion breaker (but you can fix that with a patch) the end boss is kinda stupid and easy to kill. [MAJOR-SPOILERS] at the end when you turn into a big daddy, it seems forced and you're practically just a man with a fishbowel on his head (hopefully better in bioshock 2) but the good far outweigh the bad and my only problem with ths game is that i cant find my disk :'-( 10/10 everytime. Expand
  93. GJMot
    Jun 11, 2009
    From start to finish Bioshock delivers an epic, defining and innovative realm for gamers. Whether you played sims to doom, you should definatley realise the amazing attention payed to the storyline of the game. I am shocked to read so many negative responses, simply because they didnt understand the story or even finish playing the game!?!? You cannot provide an accurate review if you From start to finish Bioshock delivers an epic, defining and innovative realm for gamers. Whether you played sims to doom, you should definatley realise the amazing attention payed to the storyline of the game. I am shocked to read so many negative responses, simply because they didnt understand the story or even finish playing the game!?!? You cannot provide an accurate review if you never played the game from having a crappy computer.... Now back to the good stuff :D The setting is indeed unique and wonderous, something never achieved before except in books. Characters are unforgettable and endless details like the posters, costumes, accents and traits all combine to do one thing, make us want MORE!!! Once more, the art deco is something never done before in the gaming industry and deserves full recognition. I cannot help but rofl everytime I hear the circus of value (vending machine), that thing is gold! "Come back when you get some money buddy" lol lol lol I think we all wish for a bioschock multiplayer...but i guess we'll have to wait for BS2. So for anyone wanting to know a final word of advice, play it from start to finish....THEN review it. For once critics got it right on the money! Expand
  94. NickG.
    Jul 27, 2009
    I wanted to try this out when i viewed the positive reviews it has got.When I finished it ,i was not disappointed at all.It has some unique features i have never seen before,all visuals were perfect,as well as the storyline.Also,there weren't any bugs in the game,although some people experienced some...Depends on the PC probably.Anyway,you gotta try this out!
  95. CharlesS
    Aug 18, 2009
    To call Bioshock a video game is an understatement. Nay, it is an insult. For Bioshock is more than a game, it is an experience. The writing for the storyline in this game is the best that i have ever seen, and i've seen quite a bit. It takes you out of your place of mind throws you down the rabbit hole into the city of Rapture. This is the best movie i have ever seen, because it is To call Bioshock a video game is an understatement. Nay, it is an insult. For Bioshock is more than a game, it is an experience. The writing for the storyline in this game is the best that i have ever seen, and i've seen quite a bit. It takes you out of your place of mind throws you down the rabbit hole into the city of Rapture. This is the best movie i have ever seen, because it is more than a video game. The characters have such depth, that it almost feels as if you are playing a memory. Expand
  96. JoeS
    Aug 6, 2009
    I have to say. This game was very fun. IT was enjoyable but not one of those trashy run and gun shooters. This game is very deep and involving. However it is overrated!!! I went in thinking this would be the greatest game ever conceived. It was great, just not that great.
  97. HunterK
    Jan 11, 2010
    The most amazing game I played so far. It is like you are litterally playing through a movie. Such a perfect storyline! I have played this game at least 18 times and still counting!
  98. BasK
    Jan 1, 2010
    After half life 2, this is the best game i ever played. The surroundings and artwork really warps you back in time and the gameplay was great! A 10!
  99. N.Davidson
    Jan 17, 2010
    I personally think BioShock is THE best game ever made. The setting, the atmosphere, the characters, the voice acting, the story, all of it was written and executed beautifully. The only thing worth speaking negatively about are some of the music choices and the well-known sound skip issue for the PC, but you're so immersed in this great game that you hardly even care. Please I personally think BioShock is THE best game ever made. The setting, the atmosphere, the characters, the voice acting, the story, all of it was written and executed beautifully. The only thing worth speaking negatively about are some of the music choices and the well-known sound skip issue for the PC, but you're so immersed in this great game that you hardly even care. Please BioShock 2, carry on the legacy. Expand
  100. zachS.
    Jan 30, 2010
    The content in bioshock is amazing. The guns, plasmids, recordings all take you into a game story I've never seen attempted. The story of rapture and learning what the hell it was was very interesting as well. Plus the way people became paranoid like Sander Cohen through splicing was funny to me as well, haha. Played through a few times, bioshock 2 is a must-get.

1. A dark and astonishing masterpiece...I spend my career, and my gaming life, waiting for a moment when a game just astonishes me, when I can't believe what I'm seeing, what I'm doing. BioShock has five. [Sept 2007, p.66]
    The hours spent playing this masterpiece were the perfect encapsulation of why videogaming is such a favourite waste of time for so many of us. Thrilling, terrifying, moving, confusing, amusing, compelling, and very very dark. BioShock isn't simply the sign of gaming realising its true cinematic potential, but one where a game straddles so many entertainment art forms so expertly that it's the best demonstration yet how flexible this medium can be. It's no longer just another shooter wrapped up in a pretty game engine, but a story that exists and unfolds inside the most convincing and elaborate and artistic game world ever conceived.
    There is art here, despite what many would say isn't possible with games, from Roger Ebert to game designers like Hideo Kojima... BioShock stands as a monolithic example of the convergence of entertaining gameplay and an irresistibly sinister, engrossing storyline that encompasses a host of multifaceted characters. This is an essential gaming experience.