BioShock PC

8.4

1. hatrox.
    Jan 1, 2010
    Best game I've played in my entire life. Its beauty in the story, graphics and gameplay are simply unrivalled.
  2. RobertA.
    Apr 8, 2008
    Bought it on steam. I only play the steam games with a 90+ rating. Really a stellar title. A deep storyline, and a dismal underwater setting that captures where 3d graphics look most realistic (in dark environments).
  3. MarkusR.
    Aug 5, 2008
    This game stunned me totaly. Splendid graphics, the story is amazing and the horror is great. A must own game for the fps lover.
  4. BenC.
    Oct 2, 2007
    If it feels good running all the graphics on low, then it must be good. Great fallout-esque setting, genuinely freaky setting and great storyline. Journal logs work very well at telling at giving backstory similar to the PDAs of Doom 3, but done better.
  5. Ben
    Aug 21, 2007
    All I can say is WOW, if the full version game is anything like the demo we certainly have a game that is going to be like no other for years to come. I have the game pre-loaded and pre-ordered on Steam and I am waiting in anticipation for the game to go gold. This game is more than just cheap thrills to give you a scare once in awhile, I actually felt tense throughout the whole demo,All I can say is WOW, if the full version game is anything like the demo we certainly have a game that is going to be like no other for years to come. I have the game pre-loaded and pre-ordered on Steam and I am waiting in anticipation for the game to go gold. This game is more than just cheap thrills to give you a scare once in awhile, I actually felt tense throughout the whole demo, wondering what the heck else is going to happen and when. I believe a good game eases you into the action and bases it's scares not on all the enemies that jump out, but on the anticipation of when and where something will happen, keeping up the suspense throughout and keeping the player on edge and making them feel the tension. I believe by the demo, Bioshock has done this. just like System Shock has done years before it. Great stuff. Expand
  6. StevenM.
    Aug 22, 2007
    It is hard to imagine giving this game anything less than a perfect 10. I agree there are minor glitches. However, the immersive atmosphere and the relentlessly intense action make this a must have. A true masterpiece of storytelling and design.
  7. BattleneterBattleneters
    Sep 4, 2007
    IF you want to enjoy Bioshock fully you MUST not rush through it. Spend time listening to all the recordings, looking for all the items and generally looking at the scenery. Treat it more like a shooting adventure opposed to a FPS. If you treat it like any other FPS and rush it you will miss a huge amount and do yourself a dis-service. If you liked games like Duke Nukem3D, Painkiller and IF you want to enjoy Bioshock fully you MUST not rush through it. Spend time listening to all the recordings, looking for all the items and generally looking at the scenery. Treat it more like a shooting adventure opposed to a FPS. If you treat it like any other FPS and rush it you will miss a huge amount and do yourself a dis-service. If you liked games like Duke Nukem3D, Painkiller and alike this is 100% for you. If you are a Half Life nutter that prefers FPS simulators opposed to atmosphere then look else where, this is not for you. The reviews are spot on in my opinion, this is no Doom3 that was over hyped, over rated and sucked. Bishock is hyped and rated correctly, it 100% delivers what it sets out to do, plenty of atmosphere and fun. Expand
  8. Shi
    Sep 5, 2007
    Its one of the best FPS games i have ever played(If not the best :P)It has everything you want action puzzles tactics and the game is full of art.So?Dont call yourself player if you havent played this masterpiece.
  9. JgcxE.
    Oct 30, 2008
    Simply excellent. My penchant for melee weapons is well satisfied in this game - wrench is wonderful - and gameplay is excellent to - the hacking minigame is tremendous fun. This is one of the very few games i know that really immerses you - you can feel your heart beating at the same rate as Jacks. The modification aspect is good. On top of this, although this is not necessarily a good Simply excellent. My penchant for melee weapons is well satisfied in this game - wrench is wonderful - and gameplay is excellent to - the hacking minigame is tremendous fun. This is one of the very few games i know that really immerses you - you can feel your heart beating at the same rate as Jacks. The modification aspect is good. On top of this, although this is not necessarily a good indicator of a good game, i could not find a single flaw with bioshock. One part in which i did get stuck, did not put me off - i played it again and again, looking around for the code for the next level, and never got bored. Darkly beautiful. Expand
  10. JoeF.
    Jan 4, 2008
    Even after completion i feel touched by the game, like i really was and am now in rapture the way the game tells it's story delivers it's "WOW" by far better than anything i have ever played. If you miss this you wont get the oppertunity again for a long time.
  11. ErwinR.
    May 30, 2008
    Breathtaking, underwater noir, art-deco, fantasia, the philosophy of Ayn Rand gone more wrong than it really is, and a creepy, horror, techno-thriller plot to go on top, who could ask for more?
  12. MichalB.
    Jun 20, 2008
    Great story, great audio-visuals, great gameplay. What else do no need to say that this game isn't one of the best games of all time?
  13. ChrisM.
    Jun 4, 2008
    "Totally sucked. It crashed my computer after 15 min of boring, crap quality play. One reviewer said this game gets you hooked immediately. Not So." Randall, that's because you're a moron who likes professional wrestling!
  14. ChrisD
    Jun 4, 2008
    "Its impossible to maintain suspension of disbelief when the hyper-advanced genetic and AI technology was supposed to have existed in the 1950's, and when these ridiculous super-powers were supposed to have been marketed by a genius, visionary Tycoon. Intensely stupid." But a game that involves aliens from another UNIVERSE(half life 2) that's pretty believable! Thanks for being "Its impossible to maintain suspension of disbelief when the hyper-advanced genetic and AI technology was supposed to have existed in the 1950's, and when these ridiculous super-powers were supposed to have been marketed by a genius, visionary Tycoon. Intensely stupid." But a game that involves aliens from another UNIVERSE(half life 2) that's pretty believable! Thanks for being "intensely stupid"! Expand
  15. MagyaryG
    Jan 1, 2010
    This game was maded in 2007 but still perfect feeling to play with it. The story the graphic the sound... it was a perfect job absolutely. Can't wait the secound part.
  16. M.B
    Jan 24, 2010
    The game is REALY fun, It's a waste of time NOT playing it. But.... It's WAY too easy. I only played through it once... And now its the second time for me :D Pre-Purchased Bioshock 2 :D Hope I can Pre-Load it too :D
  17. HarrieH
    Jan 3, 2010
    Bioshock is one of the best games I've ever played, game play, storyline, sound, and graphics all top notch, loved the water effects. I've played it several times through, always found content I missed before. Can't wait for BS2!
  18. JamesR.
    Dec 15, 2007
    Finally a FPS that isn't just killing the same old monsters in different rooms. This is a game that allows you to think and make discisions that actually effect the outcome of the game. Count one copy sold of BioShock 2.
  19. OscarS.
    Oct 4, 2007
    I found this to be the most compelling and revolutionary shooter since Half-Life 2. Then again some people think Half-Life 2 wasn't revolutionary at all. The game is very storybased and don't think it's an rpg. It isn't, it's straight up FPS but with search bodies and stashes for objects. Try it, if you don't like it don't play it, but you owe it to I found this to be the most compelling and revolutionary shooter since Half-Life 2. Then again some people think Half-Life 2 wasn't revolutionary at all. The game is very storybased and don't think it's an rpg. It isn't, it's straight up FPS but with search bodies and stashes for objects. Try it, if you don't like it don't play it, but you owe it to yourself to try it. The 60's visual design, the genetic powers, the weapon upgrades, and the story make this the best game of 2007 in my opinion. Expand
  20. HenryJ.
    Aug 16, 2007
    The greatest video game I've ever played. Who cares about multi-player. No multi-player game I've played ( and I've played a few!) has ever come close to this. Immersive, scary and 'original' - this to me is the key. Somebody actually created something original in the gaming industry, progress at last. HALO 4? No thanks. BioShock has clearly shown regurgitation is The greatest video game I've ever played. Who cares about multi-player. No multi-player game I've played ( and I've played a few!) has ever come close to this. Immersive, scary and 'original' - this to me is the key. Somebody actually created something original in the gaming industry, progress at last. HALO 4? No thanks. BioShock has clearly shown regurgitation is no longer enough any more in the gaming industry. Now go out and buy it! Expand
  21. AMikeS.
    Aug 21, 2007
    The closest thing to actually being in a movie released so far. An incredible piece of interactive fiction.
  22. Chris
    Aug 21, 2007
    In most first person shooters, where everything is laid out in black and white. You shoot, move on, and shoot some more. But in Bioshock you have to plan ahead, look at what is there and formulate a plan to get past it. You have to juggle resources just in order to survive. That and an excellent story and narrative add up to one on the most engrossing and jaw-dropping games I have ever played.
  23. ShaunD.
    Aug 21, 2007
    I want to start off by saying that I am not a PC gamer; in fact, I prefer consoles. But in the case of Bioshock, I couldn't choose.Amazing atmosphere, wonderful AI, and the best water effects ever in a game make this one of the greatest games in recent days.
  24. JesusY.
    Aug 22, 2007
    So fresh and original. A little weird at first but well worth the time. Engrossing with plenty of re-playability. The art-deco Rapture is one of the most interesting worlds created in a video game. Reminds me of myst in a weird way.
  25. IanF.
    Aug 24, 2007
    This was worth the wait...anyone who nitpicks this game obviously wouldn't know originality if it hit them in the face. Bioshock is a refreshing adventure in a gaming industry crowded with lacklustre, unfairly hyped games and sell-out franchises (*cough*HALO*cough cough*) turned out on a daily basis. The design is beautiful, and the music and sound effects, combined with a dark, This was worth the wait...anyone who nitpicks this game obviously wouldn't know originality if it hit them in the face. Bioshock is a refreshing adventure in a gaming industry crowded with lacklustre, unfairly hyped games and sell-out franchises (*cough*HALO*cough cough*) turned out on a daily basis. The design is beautiful, and the music and sound effects, combined with a dark, moody environment makes for a breathtaking experience. This is the first game in years that I actually enjoy playing. So what if it doesn't have multiplayer (one of the most overrated features in gaming history)? Bioshock is a brilliant piece of virtual art that any discerning gamer should not be without. More games NEED to be like this. Expand
  26. Variatas
    Aug 25, 2007
    Looks incredible, even if you aren't running the best hardware, in which case it looks mind-blowingly awesome. Sounds outstanding; which sets up the environment and brings it to a strange, twisted life. The story is one of the best and most eniticing narratives ever told in a game. All in all, this is a Game of the Year, and its only August.
  27. ketracelwhite
    Aug 25, 2007
    What a game! When I read the first previews I was slightly disapointed because they said it was missing a lot of the rpg- elements that where in System Shock, (I feared this would turn out to be just another shooter with a nice story), but wtf, this game just rocks! A true masterpiece!
  28. FrankieP.
    Aug 26, 2007
    The hype is justified. As absorbing and as thrilling as Half Life 2. Packs as big a "wow factor" punch as Far Cry. Runs as beautifully and glides along as nicely as Medal Of Honour. As original, quirky and as innovative as my personal favourite, No One Lives Forever 1 & 2. If you have the PC to run it, it is THE reason why you bought a powerful PC in the first place! If you haven't The hype is justified. As absorbing and as thrilling as Half Life 2. Packs as big a "wow factor" punch as Far Cry. Runs as beautifully and glides along as nicely as Medal Of Honour. As original, quirky and as innovative as my personal favourite, No One Lives Forever 1 & 2. If you have the PC to run it, it is THE reason why you bought a powerful PC in the first place! If you haven't it is THE reason to upgrade NOW! Expand
  29. JarrodLofy
    Aug 27, 2007
    Amazingly horrible bugs but once you do have the game running consistently quite frankly i don't think i have ever seen a better put together game in my whole life that not only has an involving story that will grab you and never let go but also a creepy atmosphere that has me scared shitless after only a few hours i really don't think i have played a scarier game in my wholeAmazingly horrible bugs but once you do have the game running consistently quite frankly i don't think i have ever seen a better put together game in my whole life that not only has an involving story that will grab you and never let go but also a creepy atmosphere that has me scared shitless after only a few hours i really don't think i have played a scarier game in my whole life way above F.E.A.R. and half life 2 combined Expand
  30. Kevin
    Aug 27, 2007
    Superb. Game design breaks new grounds and sets new standards. PC graphics blow away the 360 version and are simply the best there is. Works great right out of the box. 2K has resolved the authentication / cd-key problems and is also resolving the widescreen issues in the near future - great support from 2K Games. Basically, believe the hype and don't let naysayers sway you away from Superb. Game design breaks new grounds and sets new standards. PC graphics blow away the 360 version and are simply the best there is. Works great right out of the box. 2K has resolved the authentication / cd-key problems and is also resolving the widescreen issues in the near future - great support from 2K Games. Basically, believe the hype and don't let naysayers sway you away from purchasing this game - it's as amazing a single player experience as Far Cry was 3 years ago. Expand
  31. JasonN.
    Sep 1, 2007
    This game is awsome good details, and work they put into making it realistic.... never seen any other game as realistic as this game.
  32. aar
    Sep 1, 2007
    Great story, great atmosphere, and fun gameplay. Overall, a very polished game that provides an experience few games do.
  33. Impaled
    Sep 1, 2007
    It's like System Shock 2 but with less inventory management and scariness and more freakish mutants with guns and pipes rushing you with an intent to kill! It's a bunch more streamlined and fast paced than Shock 2 but that's fine by me.
  34. JamesB.
    Sep 21, 2007
    By far one of the best games i have EVER played, given 10/10 from PC Gamer and 96% out of 100% i can't honestley see any game coming near enough to even touch this is the near future (that includes Halo 3 ^^).
  35. RayH.
    Sep 26, 2007
    The graphics are stunning, the simple and easy to use controls work very well. The story was something I would have expected out a novel. I haven't had a single player experience I enjoyed this much, and could repeat for a long time. A must buy.
  36. MilesM.
    Sep 4, 2007
    Amazing graphics, original storyline and characters, amazingly customizable weapons and abilities, fluid sound and replayability for different outcomes give this game a perfect 10.
  37. AdrianB.
    Sep 5, 2007
    This game is amazing. If you got to do something you can do it in milion different ways. Also every time you load the game opponents are in different spots so sometimes it is not very easy to finish a mission.
  38. JasonL.
    Sep 7, 2007
    This game is unbelieveable. It truely is a match for Half Life 2 in terms of graphics, gameplay, storyline, immersion and just plain coolness. It continues in the same "scariness" of System Shock 2 which we all fondly remember but takes advantage of all the new technology since then to make this a memorable experience.
  39. Josh
    Sep 9, 2007
    The storyline the visuals, the sound, everything is perfect. Another main thing I enjoy is how scary it is. I think alot of people forget about that fact.
  40. ColtonS.
    Oct 2, 2008
    One of the best games of all time, its original, creepy, and exciting in all shapes and forms.
  41. KevinL.
    Oct 5, 2008
    Absolutely breath taking, this game has probably the best atmosphere in a game ever. The plot is extremely well written, the game play is very unique and the characters are unforgettable. Your missing out one of the best games ever made if you haven't played this.
  42. brandonl.
    Oct 6, 2008
    This game is amazing. The level of detail and the amount of work gone into the game with an intense and unpredicatable AI. What is so greate about this game is how they intergrate 'Plasmids' they do it ever so balanced so you neither use gun or plasmids too much of the other. The game gives you a choice, be good, or be evil. This makes for 2 great twists (I personally choose This game is amazing. The level of detail and the amount of work gone into the game with an intense and unpredicatable AI. What is so greate about this game is how they intergrate 'Plasmids' they do it ever so balanced so you neither use gun or plasmids too much of the other. The game gives you a choice, be good, or be evil. This makes for 2 great twists (I personally choose good) there was so much to do in this game I could not stop playing. Expand
  43. DylanB.
    Jan 8, 2008
    Overall, the game was excellent. One of the best games I have played in a long time. Graphics are exceptional, gameplay and storyline are extremely good. But, the one thing I found lacking was finding the Little Sisters. There were parts where I looked everywhere and could not find the Little Sister even though there was supposed to be one on the level. Definately worth the money.
  44. DerekN.
    Feb 6, 2008
    This game is so sick and I really enjoyed playing it.
  45. BrianW.
    Mar 28, 2008
    This game is breathtaking, absolutely stunning and absolutely sick. I wish to thank the absolutely warped genius minds that created this. Buy it.
  46. JustinC.
    Mar 3, 2008
    This is one of the best games ever. Ignore the users who criticize it, they are just too stupid to understand the themes behind the game (no exaggeration, this game is a work of art). The fact that people consider this game sub par is representative of how degraded our society has become, preferring mindless shooting games like Halo 3 instead of truly deep games like this one.
  47. KurtG.
    Apr 29, 2008
    Amazing, a superb adrenaline rush the whole way through.
  48. MonkeyV.
    Apr 3, 2008
    It really is just that good. I have been playing PC games since 1980, and I this is easily one of the most impressive and wonderful gaming experiences of my life. I urge any and all players to take the time to play Bioshock. I can guarantee you it is worth it.
  49. KimV.
    Apr 4, 2008
    Game of the Year 2007, I don't really think much else needs to be said, for indepth information I suggest reading one of the numerous reviews giving the game a perfect score.
  50. LiamW.
    May 5, 2008
    Bioshock was probably the best game i have ever played. The storyline, graphics, and game overall were wonderful. You could even see the tiny little watermarks on the fish.
  51. FrazerS.
    May 8, 2008
    This game is brilliant, i played it through with crap graphics the first time and it still scared the hell out of me. The rating of 10 is used with caution though as no game is perfect; it's a good game but at the end of the day it's just another shooter with good graphics that make the appeal of it larger. At the end of the day, if you want a good fright, buy this.
  52. Jake.
    Jul 25, 2008
    This is an AMAZING GAME and a MUST BUY!!! great story line with wonderful graphics. Keeps you ready but surprised at every turn!
  53. JoshM.
    Aug 5, 2008
    one of the most innovative and original games in years. my only complaint is that the hacking minigame gets boring after the first playthrough.
  54. RyanD.
    Sep 5, 2008
    Amazing game. It combines the literary works of Ayn Rand with an excellent shooter RPG. The story is very well written with lots of exposition and plot twists. The graphics for water effects are the best so far. The audio, including the voice acting, is top notch. Lots of ways to kill your enemies provides replay value.
  55. MichaelK.
    Jan 1, 2009
    BioShock provides a linear guide, but at the same time, freedom. It has an incredible attention to detail, unsurpassed atmosphere, and solid, varied gameplay. To those who find the game to easy, I suggest upping the difficulty. The ammo will run low, the fear will set in, and the Big Daddies become something to truly fear. It challenges the political, philosophical and ethical norms and BioShock provides a linear guide, but at the same time, freedom. It has an incredible attention to detail, unsurpassed atmosphere, and solid, varied gameplay. To those who find the game to easy, I suggest upping the difficulty. The ammo will run low, the fear will set in, and the Big Daddies become something to truly fear. It challenges the political, philosophical and ethical norms and even subverts its own medium. A rarity not to be missed. Expand
  56. bioshockrules
    Oct 28, 2009
    HIgh quality gaming. Great storyline, great graphical performance and stability. Wide range of weapons more varied than the traditional guns and grenades. Each weapon has upgrades and some can be invented. Enemy turrets and cameras can be hacked to your advantage or purchased. Economic system is great. AI superb. One person rated it 3 and said it was not challenging. I bet he hasnt played HIgh quality gaming. Great storyline, great graphical performance and stability. Wide range of weapons more varied than the traditional guns and grenades. Each weapon has upgrades and some can be invented. Enemy turrets and cameras can be hacked to your advantage or purchased. Economic system is great. AI superb. One person rated it 3 and said it was not challenging. I bet he hasnt played it on hard without vita-chambers. Strategy is important. No encounter ever plays out the same. Genetic modification and Ecological AI is cool. This is the best game in the universe. Cant wait for Bioshock2 and Bioshock3. If you dont play this game, you truly miss out on the game to be. You got to be silly not to play this game. 2K games has really done a great job. 5 stars for them. The only bug is that upon launching the game in Vista, the game switches from full screen to windowed. It only happens once and the game quality more than makes up for that is relatively tiny bug compared to the game's performance. Expand
  57. myname
    Mar 5, 2009
    To undying zombie: try to rate the game for what it IS, not for what it isn't..retard. you focused on such things as the promises and securom. okay, the vita-chambers suck but thanks to it, you aren't forced to watch the loading screen often. a similiar thing was introduced in Prey and the only difference was, that you had to shoot thingies. BioShock is absolutely perfect, To undying zombie: try to rate the game for what it IS, not for what it isn't..retard. you focused on such things as the promises and securom. okay, the vita-chambers suck but thanks to it, you aren't forced to watch the loading screen often. a similiar thing was introduced in Prey and the only difference was, that you had to shoot thingies. BioShock is absolutely perfect, wonderful etc. Dumping the whole shooting aspect, the idea of Rapture itself, the style, the characters, plot, plasmids, music, graphics, Daddies and Sisters and conections to Ayn Rand's Filosophy...it's just perfect. i've finished it a few times and still start it again. Expand
  58. TimF
    May 20, 2009
    I don't see what everyone else posting their own votes are complaining about. BioShock is simply the best singleplayer FPS out there. Lowering the game from a 10 to a 1 simply because they are new to gaming and can't be bothered to play the game on a real computer is shameful. The puzzles are an extraordinarily nice touch to break monotony and the AI is amazing. This game I don't see what everyone else posting their own votes are complaining about. BioShock is simply the best singleplayer FPS out there. Lowering the game from a 10 to a 1 simply because they are new to gaming and can't be bothered to play the game on a real computer is shameful. The puzzles are an extraordinarily nice touch to break monotony and the AI is amazing. This game deserves a 9 simply for the storyline. All the other reviews only touch on how inept they (the user reviewer) are at seeing a game as a game, not playing it on a real computer, their own single-minded sight and its brilliance. BioShock is an amazing game and shouldn't be singled out because someone else cant run it and another has no idea how to install it. Expand
  59. Yugemos
    May 28, 2009
    This game was REALLY buggy when i first got it and i had problems similar to those posted here but i upgraded my graphics card to an 8500gt 512mb and it ran perfectly. most of the time, the bad visuals and bugs are the computers fault. now on to the game good points: the visuals are beautiful (if you have a good enough graphics card) and the storyline is great. the plasmids make a nice This game was REALLY buggy when i first got it and i had problems similar to those posted here but i upgraded my graphics card to an 8500gt 512mb and it ran perfectly. most of the time, the bad visuals and bugs are the computers fault. now on to the game good points: the visuals are beautiful (if you have a good enough graphics card) and the storyline is great. the plasmids make a nice change from your average run and gun gameplay. Rapture is an extremely beautiful place and even with the great story there still an enormous amount of backstory that you can discover with the tapes. bad points: the vita chambers are a bit of an immersion breaker (but you can fix that with a patch) the end boss is kinda stupid and easy to kill. [MAJOR-SPOILERS] at the end when you turn into a big daddy, it seems forced and you're practically just a man with a fishbowel on his head (hopefully better in bioshock 2) but the good far outweigh the bad and my only problem with ths game is that i cant find my disk :'-( 10/10 everytime. Expand
  60. GJMot
    Jun 11, 2009
    From start to finish Bioshock delivers an epic, defining and innovative realm for gamers. Whether you played sims to doom, you should definatley realise the amazing attention payed to the storyline of the game. I am shocked to read so many negative responses, simply because they didnt understand the story or even finish playing the game!?!? You cannot provide an accurate review if you From start to finish Bioshock delivers an epic, defining and innovative realm for gamers. Whether you played sims to doom, you should definatley realise the amazing attention payed to the storyline of the game. I am shocked to read so many negative responses, simply because they didnt understand the story or even finish playing the game!?!? You cannot provide an accurate review if you never played the game from having a crappy computer.... Now back to the good stuff :D The setting is indeed unique and wonderous, something never achieved before except in books. Characters are unforgettable and endless details like the posters, costumes, accents and traits all combine to do one thing, make us want MORE!!! Once more, the art deco is something never done before in the gaming industry and deserves full recognition. I cannot help but rofl everytime I hear the circus of value (vending machine), that thing is gold! "Come back when you get some money buddy" lol lol lol I think we all wish for a bioschock multiplayer...but i guess we'll have to wait for BS2. So for anyone wanting to know a final word of advice, play it from start to finish....THEN review it. For once critics got it right on the money! Expand
  61. NickG.
    Jul 27, 2009
    I wanted to try this out when i viewed the positive reviews it has got.When I finished it ,i was not disappointed at all.It has some unique features i have never seen before,all visuals were perfect,as well as the storyline.Also,there weren't any bugs in the game,although some people experienced some...Depends on the PC probably.Anyway,you gotta try this out!
  62. CharlesS
    Aug 18, 2009
    To call Bioshock a video game is an understatement. Nay, it is an insult. For Bioshock is more than a game, it is an experience. The writing for the storyline in this game is the best that i have ever seen, and i've seen quite a bit. It takes you out of your place of mind throws you down the rabbit hole into the city of Rapture. This is the best movie i have ever seen, because it is To call Bioshock a video game is an understatement. Nay, it is an insult. For Bioshock is more than a game, it is an experience. The writing for the storyline in this game is the best that i have ever seen, and i've seen quite a bit. It takes you out of your place of mind throws you down the rabbit hole into the city of Rapture. This is the best movie i have ever seen, because it is more than a video game. The characters have such depth, that it almost feels as if you are playing a memory. Expand
  63. HunterK
    Jan 11, 2010
    The most amazing game I played so far. It is like you are litterally playing through a movie. Such a perfect storyline! I have played this game at least 18 times and still counting!
  64. BasK
    Jan 1, 2010
    After half life 2, this is the best game i ever played. The surroundings and artwork really warps you back in time and the gameplay was great! A 10!
  65. zachS.
    Jan 30, 2010
    The content in bioshock is amazing. The guns, plasmids, recordings all take you into a game story I've never seen attempted. The story of rapture and learning what the hell it was was very interesting as well. Plus the way people became paranoid like Sander Cohen through splicing was funny to me as well, haha. Played through a few times, bioshock 2 is a must-get.
  66. S.K.
    Oct 11, 2007
    Unfortunately, this game's user score is marred by people who can't grasp the simply astounding story and great narrative mixed with beautiful visuals and great FPS gameplay. They say nothing new, they say linear, but this game offered something more only certain gamers can understand.
  67. Angel
    Nov 3, 2007
    The best game since Half-Life.
  68. ThomasK.
    Oct 14, 2007
    Incrediable game! The environment is rich with sights and sounds and the steampunk influence is wonderful! While the end is a bit anticlimatic the game is still a hit!
  69. VinceB.
    Oct 15, 2007
    Bioshock tells a very mysterious and turbulent story that has twists and turns around many a corner, the biggest twist tying the whole story together, justifying some unavoidable linear game-play. With lush visuals and a great sound scape, Bioshock deserves a 10 by all means.
  70. MaxM.
    Nov 6, 2007
    THIS GAME OWNS. The only thing that lets the game down is the vita-chambers other-wise the game is cool.
  71. BobS.
    Oct 2, 2007
    This game blends a compelling and deep story and moral dillemas with great gameplay. It truly is one of the best games made in recent history.
  72. MikeP.
    Dec 27, 2007
    A dark and magnificent artwork which makes other games look like children's toys. The combat is a fusion of RPG style spells and gritty FPS combat, and the storyline is (apart from its miserably bad ending) mature, stylish and thought-provoking.
  73. TomasB.
    Dec 30, 2007
    Most atmospheric, depressive and genius masterpiece of decade.
  74. JasonR.
    Oct 25, 2007
    If video games are uniformly not considered "art," then Bioshock proves that "art" is worse off for it. Combining engrossing gameplay, peerless atmosphere, and brilliant storytelling, Bioshock sets the bar for the medium. And it sets the bar very, very high.
  75. DougF.
    Oct 5, 2007
    Unlike any other game on the market! Excellent graphics, superb sound, fantastic original story, and great gameplay with unique and fun combat system!
  76. SlickV.
    Oct 6, 2007
    One of the best games of the year! If your feeling cautious, because of bad reviews, download the demo and you will see...fantastic....beautiful....imaginative....challenging. I purchased it for xbox 360 worth every dollar!
  77. RyanM.
    Oct 8, 2007
    This game was amazing. the story and plot so original and immersing. this is one of the best games ive played in a VERY long time.
  78. B.H.
    Oct 9, 2007
    This is by far the best game to come out in the genre in YEARS! I have been playing video games for more than 20 years and this has to be one of the best of all time..hands down.
  79. AndrewC.
    Oct 9, 2007
    One of the best and scariest games I've ever played. A worthy successor to system shock 1 and 2. In fact, I daresay in many ways it surpasses them. The only game I've played in YEARS to make me scream out loud... not once, but twice! A must own. Period.
  80. EC
    Aug 22, 2007
    WOW! Just... wow. Such an amazing game from the graphics to the sound to the plot line. First off, the graphics are gorgeous! Rendered using a modified version of the Unreal 3 engine, everything is rendered with great detail and with amazing physics (which is needed in a game with lots of fire and telekinetic powers). The artwork in it is also quite awe inspiring from the creepy splicers WOW! Just... wow. Such an amazing game from the graphics to the sound to the plot line. First off, the graphics are gorgeous! Rendered using a modified version of the Unreal 3 engine, everything is rendered with great detail and with amazing physics (which is needed in a game with lots of fire and telekinetic powers). The artwork in it is also quite awe inspiring from the creepy splicers to the monstrous Big Daddies. However, the thing that kept me in is still the amazing plot. You're hurled into the middle of quite an adventure with almost no details (kind of Half-Life-esque) and you just find your own way around. The weapon/plasmid(superpower) system works really well with an endless combination of strategies you can use to defeat the enemies in the game (which at times just come out of the darkness and swarm you from 20 sides) It's probably one of the best done games I've ever had the pleasure of playing and is just purely amazing. Anyone who's a fan of plot driven first person shooters NEEDS to get this. Expand
  81. MarkS.
    Aug 22, 2007
    This game has it all. Great gameplay, graphics, sound, voice acting, and atmosphere. There is little to complain about with this title. From the opening cutscene, you get drawn into the world of Rapture. The dark atmosphere of the game is enhanced by the familiar sounds of old music hits from way back. When the action is at low state, you can hear sounds coming from other rooms, such as This game has it all. Great gameplay, graphics, sound, voice acting, and atmosphere. There is little to complain about with this title. From the opening cutscene, you get drawn into the world of Rapture. The dark atmosphere of the game is enhanced by the familiar sounds of old music hits from way back. When the action is at low state, you can hear sounds coming from other rooms, such as water trickling and voices. While the lack of true widescreen support is disappointing, there is no reason that anyone even remotely interested in FPS games shouldn't rush out and pick this up now, provided you meet the minimum hardware requirements. Turn the lights down (better yet OFF) and get lost in the undersea world of Rapture. Bioshock is, without a doubt, the best FPS since Half Life 2 Expand
  82. PaulT/
    Aug 23, 2007
    Simply brilliant, a true successor to System Shock 2 at last. One of the best gaming experiences I have ever had. The future of games is alive & it is Bioshock......
  83. YermakirumY.
    Very good game.
  84. BenM.
    Aug 24, 2007
    I'm not one to blindly follow the hype of a game, but I admittedly could not wait until Bioshock was released. I am happy to report that it is everything I could have hoped for and more! Outstanding graphics, awe-inspiring sounds and atmospheric effects, solid story telling in the style of Half-Life 2 (with the addition of audio tapes acting as a narrative), and one of the most I'm not one to blindly follow the hype of a game, but I admittedly could not wait until Bioshock was released. I am happy to report that it is everything I could have hoped for and more! Outstanding graphics, awe-inspiring sounds and atmospheric effects, solid story telling in the style of Half-Life 2 (with the addition of audio tapes acting as a narrative), and one of the most visceral and heart-pounding gaming experienced I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. The only minor gripes I currently have are the lack of a speed modified when playing with the keyboard and mouse (you can't walk without a 360 controller!), and the fact that the game utilizes the SecuROM DRM system to authenticate the game to a limited (5 currently) number of PCs, even on the Steam version. Beware of this fact. That being said, if you like games, then there's something to like about Bioshock and you really should check it out. Expand
  85. DJ
    Aug 24, 2007
    What can I say that hasn't already be said. I just completed the game, but will definately play it again now, trying new things as I go. The game ran great and had no glitches, bugs, or other problems for me (high-end system, though). Definately worth the money.
    I only wish it could have had slightly more content, but then maybe I'm just greedy.
  86. neilspeck
    Aug 24, 2007
    i am a fifty year old gamer and this year looks like it will be a bumper year if crysis or indeed any other game can match up to bioshock.i am running it usinng a xt1900xtx and it looks awsome.the game play is addictive and fun also at the same time pulls you in and sucks you out wanting more.and guess what you get more cos it gets better each time you play it.i have had it one day and ii am a fifty year old gamer and this year looks like it will be a bumper year if crysis or indeed any other game can match up to bioshock.i am running it usinng a xt1900xtx and it looks awsome.the game play is addictive and fun also at the same time pulls you in and sucks you out wanting more.and guess what you get more cos it gets better each time you play it.i have had it one day and i have been on and off it about 6 times in between meals and sleep etc.amazing the trouble is i am going to greece on holiday monday and i will have to wait a week then before i can play it again.what else can i say except if anyone knocks it i would like to know what they have been playing. Expand
  87. JohnV.
    Aug 24, 2007
    Not sure how the FOV really ruins the game or effects gameplay. I also haven't encountered any of these "tons of graphical glitches" and I can always see my mouse cursor. Anyways, this is one of the most amazing games I have every played and even more so goes on to show that a great single player storyline will beat out a rich multiplayer mode any day of the week. It has all the Not sure how the FOV really ruins the game or effects gameplay. I also haven't encountered any of these "tons of graphical glitches" and I can always see my mouse cursor. Anyways, this is one of the most amazing games I have every played and even more so goes on to show that a great single player storyline will beat out a rich multiplayer mode any day of the week. It has all the elements of great gameplay and storline inclusion that in the end, make this one of the greatest video games I have EVER played. Expand
  88. CollinC.
    Aug 25, 2007
    One of the few games that can truly be considered art. Bioshock offers the gamer a glimpse of what lies ahead for this rapidly evolving medium.
  89. RJT.
    Aug 26, 2007
    Bioshock is an experience no one should miss! A exciting and interesting story is here, surrounded by a finely detailed world that is quite unique. Many times I would just stop and marvel, at how well crafted each piece of Rapture really is. The only fault I can find here, is the lack of penalties after your character dies. the challenge is really negated by the Vital chambers. But this Bioshock is an experience no one should miss! A exciting and interesting story is here, surrounded by a finely detailed world that is quite unique. Many times I would just stop and marvel, at how well crafted each piece of Rapture really is. The only fault I can find here, is the lack of penalties after your character dies. the challenge is really negated by the Vital chambers. But this is a minor thing, when compared to the overall creation. Wonderful! Thank you for once again raising the standards for all future games. This is a quality experience, with great voice acting, engaging storyline, amazing graphics, and most of all... exciting. I have enjoyed every second I have spent in Rapture! Expand
  90. KT
    Aug 27, 2007
    If ever there was a game to rival HL and HL2, this would be it. From the characters, to the atmosphere, to the music, this game is the mona lisa of the gaming age. The dystopian feel, the 1984 ambiance, the ayn rand story architechture (especially in Ryan) are all top notch. If you own a functional modern pc (meaning graphics card of 7950 gtx and up) you owe it to yourself to get this If ever there was a game to rival HL and HL2, this would be it. From the characters, to the atmosphere, to the music, this game is the mona lisa of the gaming age. The dystopian feel, the 1984 ambiance, the ayn rand story architechture (especially in Ryan) are all top notch. If you own a functional modern pc (meaning graphics card of 7950 gtx and up) you owe it to yourself to get this game. It's that good. Expand
  91. ChrisG.
    Aug 27, 2007
    Amazing! The graphics are not the best ever seen (ex. Crysis), but the overall atmosphere is amazing. I'm running on a DX9 system, so I haven't experienced the DX10 "extras", but from the side by side comparisons I've seen on the web, there isn't too much difference. The standout of the game is that the sound design is some of the best I've ever experienced. The Amazing! The graphics are not the best ever seen (ex. Crysis), but the overall atmosphere is amazing. I'm running on a DX9 system, so I haven't experienced the DX10 "extras", but from the side by side comparisons I've seen on the web, there isn't too much difference. The standout of the game is that the sound design is some of the best I've ever experienced. The voice acting is top notch. The pacing is perfect. Characters have a personality and go about their daily routines, mumbling strange things to themselves or arguing amongst themselves. This is a living world. There are some minor flaws, but they do not detract from the experience. I have not fallen victim to widescreen issues or any of the registration issues, so I can't talk on those. One of the flaws that I have noticed is that the weapons don't feel right, sometimes. The shotgun, my personal favorite, doesn't have a realistic feel when up close to an enemy. The sound of the shotgun blast is off occasionally. The pistol sounds and feels more powerful than the shotgun. The other thing that seemed strange was that the enemies get tougher as you progress, but without any visual difference. Why does it now take 3 headshots to take down a common enemy that only took 1 earlier? Did they upgrade their health? Are they wearing invisible armor? Why? My advice to anyone that wants to get the most out of this game: 1) Turn up the volume, 2) Use 5.1 speakers or headphones, 3) Sit close to the monitor, 4) Adjust the Brightness through the game options to the optimal setting, 5) Play in a dark room. 6) Turn off subtitles, quest arrow, shiny usable objects ( This adds to the realism and forces you to explore more of the world, unlocking more of Raptures secrets, 7) The game gets better the further you progress, so keep playing This game will pull you in and not let go. Expand
  92. JosephS.
    Aug 28, 2007
    The most minor of flaw is the lack of online play. Otherwise it is easily one of the most amazing games I've ever played. There are games you play once, and there are games you lay awake in your bed thinking about, contemplating strategies, and ultimately returning to your computer to waste away your sleeping hours with your eyes wide and unblinking, staring at that glowing box that The most minor of flaw is the lack of online play. Otherwise it is easily one of the most amazing games I've ever played. There are games you play once, and there are games you lay awake in your bed thinking about, contemplating strategies, and ultimately returning to your computer to waste away your sleeping hours with your eyes wide and unblinking, staring at that glowing box that sends you into this amazing world. There's simply nothing else like it. This is the sort of game people will be talking about nostalgically in fifteen years, exclaiming how it changed the video game industry for the better. In a world of games that rely on graphics and throw story development down the crapper, this game shines blindingly, and shows us just how flawed other games are, and these games bow before Bioshock. Expand
  93. JudsonV.
    Aug 31, 2007
    This masterpiece combines first-rate gameplay, storytelling, visuals, and even sound into the best game I have played in a long time. Truly, video game art.
  94. AndrewB.
    Aug 31, 2007
    Wow I had 3 hours of the best gamepley ever last night have a radeon x1900 gt and it looks superb the best graphics I have ever seen! I was thinking of upgrading my Graphics card but I don't think I really need too. Not at all samey samey like oblivion (once you have seen one grey castle you have seen them all!. I cannot wait to get back and play some more . Intelligent Ai even on Wow I had 3 hours of the best gamepley ever last night have a radeon x1900 gt and it looks superb the best graphics I have ever seen! I was thinking of upgrading my Graphics card but I don't think I really need too. Not at all samey samey like oblivion (once you have seen one grey castle you have seen them all!. I cannot wait to get back and play some more . Intelligent Ai even on medium settings. Expand
  95. TimL.
    Aug 30, 2007
    Graphics - Outstanding Gameplay - Outstanding Story - Brilliant Simply breathtaking atmosphere. AI rather smart. Multiple ways to kill enemies. All the environment can be manipulated to your advantage. 10/10 100%
  96. RobertL.
    Sep 11, 2007
    Great game, A little choppy with sound but awesome none the less.
  97. JohnC.
    Sep 10, 2007
    This game has such a dark and twisting story through scenery that screams plastic and fake. The mid-1900s theme is very spooky. It is reminiscent of a happier time gone horribly wrong. This is one of the most visceral experiences you'll find in a game. In terms of graphics, it is on par with gears of war, but blows gears of war out of the water in terms of it's design. The way This game has such a dark and twisting story through scenery that screams plastic and fake. The mid-1900s theme is very spooky. It is reminiscent of a happier time gone horribly wrong. This is one of the most visceral experiences you'll find in a game. In terms of graphics, it is on par with gears of war, but blows gears of war out of the water in terms of it's design. The way the levels are designed is amazingly beautiful. Having enemies that aren't always your enemy is amazing. What I refer to is the Big Daddy. Not since gears' Berzerker has a game character made me tense up at the mere sight of it. It's always interesting when you are fighting a splicer and accidently shoot a Big Daddy. Especially on the harder difficlty settings. The first thought to cross your mind is "Oh SH&*" ...... "RUN!!!!" . The detail and the amount you can explore is also amazing. People may complain that it is too short. I have a theory on this. In fact a lot of great games are accused of being too short. If at the end of a game you still want to continue. If you want more of the story. If you think.... let's do it again! Than the game creates have done good and you are just complaining because you didn't want the experience to end. Expand
  98. SmokeW.
    Sep 14, 2007
    This game, is not just a game, its a work of art.
  99. WilSt.C.
    Sep 16, 2007
    A brilliant game, and a compelling story mesh to become something larger then just a video game, but an entire world. Do yourself a favor and pick up the damn thing already.
  100. TaylorC.
    Sep 20, 2007
    This is an excelent game. I truely have not had a greater experince with a game for a long time. This beats Both HL 1 and 2(maybe not episode 1 and 2 though) in story and creativity. The graphics are stunning. The only thing I was annoyed by was the fact i always had lots of ammo. It didnt feel right at all. The only scripted sequnces are at the begining middle, and end, which really made This is an excelent game. I truely have not had a greater experince with a game for a long time. This beats Both HL 1 and 2(maybe not episode 1 and 2 though) in story and creativity. The graphics are stunning. The only thing I was annoyed by was the fact i always had lots of ammo. It didnt feel right at all. The only scripted sequnces are at the begining middle, and end, which really made you feel like you were actually the character, because you were learning about rapture and everything at the same time. And finally, i think most people will get 20 hours out of it (from playing twice, because i beat it in 9.1 hours) in the first month. Then the player will stop playing Bioshock for a few months, then pick it up and play again. Expand

1. A dark and astonishing masterpiece...I spend my career, and my gaming life, waiting for a moment when a game just astonishes me, when I can't believe what I'm seeing, what I'm doing. BioShock has five. [Sept 2007, p.66]
    The hours spent playing this masterpiece were the perfect encapsulation of why videogaming is such a favourite waste of time for so many of us. Thrilling, terrifying, moving, confusing, amusing, compelling, and very very dark. BioShock isn't simply the sign of gaming realising its true cinematic potential, but one where a game straddles so many entertainment art forms so expertly that it's the best demonstration yet how flexible this medium can be. It's no longer just another shooter wrapped up in a pretty game engine, but a story that exists and unfolds inside the most convincing and elaborate and artistic game world ever conceived.
    There is art here, despite what many would say isn't possible with games, from Roger Ebert to game designers like Hideo Kojima... BioShock stands as a monolithic example of the convergence of entertaining gameplay and an irresistibly sinister, engrossing storyline that encompasses a host of multifaceted characters. This is an essential gaming experience.