4.4

1. Dec 31, 2011
    BIT.TRIP BEAT is almost exactly like playing Pong in time to music. The main difference is that playing Pong in time to music and losing won't break your stereo- which is more or less what happens in BIT.TRIP BEAT when you miss a few points. And guess what? It's very easy to miss a few points in BIT.TRIP BEAT, thanks to confusing graphics, unpleasant controls and some very silly designBIT.TRIP BEAT is almost exactly like playing Pong in time to music. The main difference is that playing Pong in time to music and losing won't break your stereo- which is more or less what happens in BIT.TRIP BEAT when you miss a few points. And guess what? It's very easy to miss a few points in BIT.TRIP BEAT, thanks to confusing graphics, unpleasant controls and some very silly design choices.

It's not an awful game, but the focus seems to be on style instead of entertainment. Much like the game's name itself, in fact. Try typing out 'BIT.TRIP BEAT' a few times- looks pretty, is conceptually sound, but ultimately isn't much fun.
  2. Mar 14, 2011
    A very intelligent take on 8-bit games, synthesised music, beat games and infuriatingly tricky gameplay. The basic game mechanic is of the arcade trailblazer Pong in a sideways scrolling world but is set to a "8-bit" synthesised soundtrack. The better you do, the richer and more satisfying the soundtrack becomes. Miss a few beats and you start to hear only a few beeps (a la Pong). TheA very intelligent take on 8-bit games, synthesised music, beat games and infuriatingly tricky gameplay. The basic game mechanic is of the arcade trailblazer Pong in a sideways scrolling world but is set to a "8-bit" synthesised soundtrack. The better you do, the richer and more satisfying the soundtrack becomes. Miss a few beats and you start to hear only a few beeps (a la Pong). The only thing which I found a little frustrating is that the better you do, the more psychadelic the graphics become making it rather difficult to see what is going on. There are only three levels but they are of reasonable length and end in a boss stage, reminiscent of classic sideways scrolling shoot-em-ups of the 1990's. The game would have been better if the music gave more cues to how the player should move their paddle, as this could have created some interesting gameplay situations. An indiviual and solid game that just misses the mark of being great. Expand
  3. Apr 14, 2011
    Possibly the worst game ever made. The sheer amount of flashses and visual noise is sure to give anyone a seizure, and the infuriating and painfully difficult gameplay will make you want to kill yourself. STAY AWAY.
  4. Jan 2, 2012
    I enjoyed Bit.Trip Runner. Sure it's hard and punishing game... quickly turning to impossible difficulty. But, surprisingly i didnt regret buying it. What about this one? It's the first installment of the Bit.Trip series and it's pretty... horrible. It makes me wanna puke. So many rapid movements on the screen, so many flashing objects. It really can cause a seizure as somebody hereI enjoyed Bit.Trip Runner. Sure it's hard and punishing game... quickly turning to impossible difficulty. But, surprisingly i didnt regret buying it. What about this one? It's the first installment of the Bit.Trip series and it's pretty... horrible. It makes me wanna puke. So many rapid movements on the screen, so many flashing objects. It really can cause a seizure as somebody here wrote. I played Beat Hazard, the game which is even more flashy than this one and it's not affecting me that way. Believe me, im not usually having such problems - it's the first game EVER that made me feel dizzy. The core gameplay is combination of classical pong and a musical game.. The idea is nice, but i can't really tell anything about it... Cause im getting sick after 10 minutes with this game. One thing i can say, there's only 3 levels. I managed to beat first one so im guessing it's pretty short experience. Expand
  5. Jul 3, 2011
    The music is only as good as how you play the game. Visuals are pretty good, but too short of a game for the money I spent on it. It's a game to spend on if you have the spare cash for it, otherwise nothing too "wow" about it.
  6. May 27, 2011
    BIT.TRIP BEAT is a retro-style action game that is both punishingly difficult and short on content. These factors would cripple most titles into obscurity, but thereâ
  7. Oct 17, 2013
    Imagine arkanoid, but no blocks to hit, no control over where the ball goes and you just have to put your bat in the right place in sequence..... Yeah.... That's what I thought too.
  8. Aug 23, 2012
    The music is okay, but I didn't find this to be very much fun. Also, it literally made my eyes hurt after about 10 minutes of playing. A new take on pong is an interesting idea, but this isn't very well executed.
  9. Jun 19, 2012
    On Mac, it's impossible to set the mouse to anything other than 'obscenely twitchy and sensitive,' thereby rendering a game that retires entirely on carefully-judged mouse movements 400% pointless.

The presentation might be kinda dinky, if that bakes your biscuit. It really is a very basic take on Pong, with a shocking UI, though. Avoid (unless bundled and essentially free.)
  10. Jun 13, 2012
    10$ for pong? No. Never. I didn't play Ataria, so I;m sure some nostalgitards will love it, but otherwise, please, for the love of god, try to get yourself as far away possible from this game.
  11. Jan 12, 2014
    BIT.TRIP BEAT is a music/arcade game where you basically control a Pong paddle, and your goal is hit all the little dots flying around the screen, and you'll do it in time with the shythm of the song. If you do well, the music picks up a few more instruments, and becomes more pleasant to listen to, and more things start happening on the screen. The flashier graphics actually make the gameBIT.TRIP BEAT is a music/arcade game where you basically control a Pong paddle, and your goal is hit all the little dots flying around the screen, and you'll do it in time with the shythm of the song. If you do well, the music picks up a few more instruments, and becomes more pleasant to listen to, and more things start happening on the screen. The flashier graphics actually make the game the game more difficult, though. If you do poorly, the music will get worse and the graphics become simpler, making the game easier. If you're close to losing, the game will drop into black and white, with the music just reduced to the beat. This is the sort of game that is be much more interesting to watch if played by a master.

I love the elegance of this game. The controls are very simple, which really lets the rhythm gameplay shine. The game is difficult, and most of that difficulty comes from having to move the paddle quickly and precisely. (Actually, this game was originally on Wii, and the motion controls made this game a lot easier to play.) This game does get pretty frustrating, especially because if you're stuck on a certain part, you have no option except for playing the section until you memorize it. This game's other problem is that there actually isn't a whole lot of content. The game is only as long as it is because you're unlikely to get through without dying many times.

Overall, I'd recommend BIT.TRIP BEAT as a short, but fun experience. Fans of music games and of older games are more likely to enjoy it. It's not a must-play, so wait until it goes on sale.
  12. Aug 1, 2012
    This game is a very fun way to spend a few minutes between other activities, and I really liked the performance-driven music and innovative graphics. It gets fairly difficult after awhile and the inability to save/continue means that if you fail you'll have to work your way back up to the tough part, so don't expect an easy ride. The challenge is enjoyable though, and its refreshing toThis game is a very fun way to spend a few minutes between other activities, and I really liked the performance-driven music and innovative graphics. It gets fairly difficult after awhile and the inability to save/continue means that if you fail you'll have to work your way back up to the tough part, so don't expect an easy ride. The challenge is enjoyable though, and its refreshing to play a game in which the flashy graphics and sound enhance rather than distract from the gameplay. Expand
  13. Jul 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is okay, but if you are prone to seizures, DON'T play this. The best part: Portal 2. Players play this like pong as a whole story, and if you miss too much you go to "nether." Also, this game crashes. Don't get it if your games crash. Expand
  14. Nov 20, 2013
    Hmm… Yeah! I can play this for a while, but then my eyes truly give up on me… Hell I’m still seeing spots! I would guess whoever made this game was completely off of their head! It’s very challenging, but it just isn't interesting enough to hold my interest (possibly because it flashes everywhere and you can’t really see what’s coming and going)… I guess that’s partly the point of theHmm… Yeah! I can play this for a while, but then my eyes truly give up on me… Hell I’m still seeing spots! I would guess whoever made this game was completely off of their head! It’s very challenging, but it just isn't interesting enough to hold my interest (possibly because it flashes everywhere and you can’t really see what’s coming and going)… I guess that’s partly the point of the game, but it really makes me nauseous… If you enjoy music based paddle style games and have strong eyes you may very well enjoy this title, it does have the classic feel to it but combines it with a modern sort of, well… Craziness!! It’s just a little bit too much for me! Expand
tbd

No score yet - based on 1 Critic

1. Dec 22, 2010
    The length of the game's stages can wear on your patience and often there's seemingly too much visual noise for the game's own good, but that's no reason to pass on this clever title.