8.2

1. Mar 6, 2013
    As someone who really enjoys rhythm based games, I initially had a lot of fun playing this. However, I quickly found the "normal" difficultly setting to be far too easy, and switched it to hard. The game instantly became extremely frustrating. It's kinda annoying that you have to do the levels completely perfectly to continue. I would have really like to have maybe one or two health pointsAs someone who really enjoys rhythm based games, I initially had a lot of fun playing this. However, I quickly found the "normal" difficultly setting to be far too easy, and switched it to hard. The game instantly became extremely frustrating. It's kinda annoying that you have to do the levels completely perfectly to continue. I would have really like to have maybe one or two health points or something so I can keep going when I mess up. But being sent back to the beginning again and again and again and again and again really started to get on my nerves. So I set it back to "normal", and was once again boringly breezing through the levels with little effort. Also, the music could be better. In most levels, the music doesn't really get "good" until the very end, at which point it... ends. It'd be better if some levels could START OUT with awesome music and just build on that, instead of starting with quiet, dinky, boring blips.

Also, there's no setting to sync audio with video (like in Guitar Hero etc), so on my screen, the audio always seems a tad ahead of the video, which makes the game difficult to play.
  2. Mar 11, 2013
    Rhythm should be synced on keystroke not the character's motion. This made me kind of out of beat (and character died) by aligning buttons with the music (just like other music games). Otherwise, it is a great game.
  3. Jan 11, 2014
    BIT.TRIP Runner 2 is a rhythm/platformer where you run along a path, collect gold, and avoid/defeat tons of obstacles along the way.

Much like the first BIT.TRIP Runner, I just couldn't enjoy this game despite my best efforts. The art is beautiful, and it's nice to see that Gaijin can make a beautiful, non-retro game. The music is wonderful as always. The gameplay, though... I normally really love music games of all sorts, but the gameplay is incredibly frustrating. The levels still go on way too long, and they're pretty hard, even near the beginning, which means that you will end up re-doing the same parts of the same levels over and over. I don't think the first Runner has a checkpoint system, and that is definitely a welcomed addition to Runner 2, but it's not enough. This game is certainly challenging, but for me, it wasn't a fun challenge at all.

The keyboard controls are baffling. You can use the arrow keys and space bar, which I highly recommend over what they tell you the controls are.

The BIT.TRIP series is a cool experiment in rhythm games, but Runner, for me, was a failed experiment and I don't know why that's the game that got a sequel. If you liked Runner, you'll love Runner 2, but I can't endorse this game for anyone else.
  4. Aug 2, 2013
    Nareszcie nadeszła gra przy której możemy się odprężyć jak i zdenerwować naraz. Prosty pomysł na rozgrywkę, coraz to ciekawsze poziomy i momentami ciężkawy poziom trudności pozwolił wczuć mi się w tą grę i odczuwać wielką przyjemność z grania. Myślę jednak że twórcy popełnili parę błędów. Pomysł graficzny jest trochę nijaki. Rozgrywka w Runner 2 jest prosta, jednak grafika nie powinnaNareszcie nadeszła gra przy której możemy się odprężyć jak i zdenerwować naraz. Prosty pomysł na rozgrywkę, coraz to ciekawsze poziomy i momentami ciężkawy poziom trudności pozwolił wczuć mi się w tą grę i odczuwać wielką przyjemność z grania. Myślę jednak że twórcy popełnili parę błędów. Pomysł graficzny jest trochę nijaki. Rozgrywka w Runner 2 jest prosta, jednak grafika nie powinna wyglądać tak "normalnie" i kolorowo. Do tego, Runner 2 przez połowę gry coraz to bardziej się rozbudowuje, robi się coraz to bardziej ciekawszy, jednak gdy mijamy magiczną barierę połowy gry, okazuje się że twórcy nie mają już czym nas zaskoczyć. Expand
  5. Jan 12, 2014
    Awesome and fun game concept ruined by the incredibly cheesy and testosterone depleting art style and music.

If they remade the game with intense, quality electronica and less Bronyism it could easily be a 10/10.
  6. Mar 20, 2014
    I does not work with pulseaudio. I was lucky enough to spot the issue, but this is unacceptable.
    The game itself is funny for some time, then the game mechanic offers few novelties, everything resolves to trying over and over the same combos with the joypad.
  7. Dec 24, 2014
    Runner 2 is definitely a casual game, intended mainly just to pass time, and it does that well enough.

Much better than its predecessor, the music and graphics are fun to experience. The game itself is challanging and yet lite and lets you progress without wanting to kill yourself, in a way some video games of this genres sometimes do. I can easily see many people get bored or

Much better than its predecessor, the music and graphics are fun to experience.

I can easily see many people get bored or annoyed by this game, as it can get repetitive and is quite long for such simple gameplay. That's why I think this game is good for killing like 2-5-10-20 dead minutes of the day or something like that. Personally I've been playing this game for quite a long time but only once or twice in a weekend, or something like that, and that lets me really enjoy the game and keeps me from getting sick of it.

The bottom line - but when on sale, use only when you really wish to kill some time.
  8. Oct 8, 2013
    First & most important: play this game with a gamepad. Do not try to play with a keyboard. You will make yourself miserable.

That being said, this is what you want from a sequel: a game that improves upon the original in every way. I haven’t yet finished this one but I’m about halfway through and it has already exceeded my expectations. I’ll start with the only negative point I have

I’ll start with the only negative point I have right now: the Reverse Merman’s ball sack. He’s a character with the upper body of a fish, the lower body of a man, and testicles that hang down to his knees. I’m not a prude, but I think it’s needlessly disgusting in an otherwise lighthearted & fun game. If you have kids, you probably don’t want them seeing that. I’m an adult and I don’t want to see that. At least he is an optional character so you don’t have to unlock him, and if you unlock him you don’t have to use him.

Aside from that blemish, this is an incredibly polished & enjoyable platformer for both casual gamers and hardcore, leaderboard chasers alike. The way they designed the point system is ingenious because while they added checkpoints into each level, if you don’t use them you will get a point boost and a challenge boost since your experience will be a lot like the first game where you start all over from the beginning of the level each time you die.

If you don’t care about your score, though, you can take full advantage of the checkpoints. They make trying to collect the gold bars scattered throughout each level a lot more fun. Ditto for the secrets and unlockables, of which the first game had none. Speaking of unlockables, there are quite a bit in this game from extra characters to extra outfits and even more of the Atari-style, ultra retro challenges featured in the first game. Levels also routinely feature multiple paths, one of which will be more difficult (but could contain a treasure or secret) or will lead to a secret level exit.

The graphics are much nicer than the original and are 3-D while still keeping the original’s retro, 2-D feel. It makes the game look much sharper and gives more life to the characters you can play as they have more than bare bones animations this time around (the cheeseburger guy is especially fun in this respect).

Oh and if the optional checkpoint challenge isn’t enough, there is also a new “dance” button that causes your character to dance for a split second during the level. You get points each time you dance, but your guy can’t do anything else while dancing, so you’re taking a risk when you do it. Also, getting a perfect run with all the gold bars gets your guy put in a cannon at the end where you have to try and hit a bullseye for maximum bonus points. The addition of these factors plus the checkpoint boost will keep a lot of leaderboard fiends busy for quite a while, I’m sure.

I got this for 50% off at recent Steam sale but I’d say it would also be worth full price, especially if you enjoy competing on the leaderboards. Can’t wait to finish it.

1. CD-Action
    May 7, 2013
    Gaijin Games once again managed to find a reasonable balance between trivial gameplay rules and gradually rising, pleasantly challenging difficulty level. [CD-Action 05/2013, p.75]
  2. Apr 11, 2013
    Travelling along a plane at a constant pace has never been so much fun – Runner2 is an addictive and rewarding experience.
  3. Apr 5, 2013
    It manages to blend rhythmic platforming with the runner genre tremendously well, creating a cocktail of pure enjoyment from start to finish, and is accessible enough that anyone can get into.