Bit.Trip Runner PC

6.5

1. May 4, 2012
    Incredible memorization game with a big focus on rhythm. Extremely fun from start to finish! Fantastic controls that are extremely responsive. Well worth checking out!
  2. Oct 31, 2012
    This game is a wonderful accidental find. Take Temple Run, Guitar Hero, McPixel, and Cat Mario, put them in a blender, and you get BIT.TRIP RUNNER. Dodging obstacles and collecting coins/power ups (Temple Run), to the beat (Guitar Hero) a wonderful progressive electronic soundtrack, all with a pixelated protagonist (McPixel), and one of the most frustrating, but also rewarding games I'veThis game is a wonderful accidental find. Take Temple Run, Guitar Hero, McPixel, and Cat Mario, put them in a blender, and you get BIT.TRIP RUNNER. Dodging obstacles and collecting coins/power ups (Temple Run), to the beat (Guitar Hero) a wonderful progressive electronic soundtrack, all with a pixelated protagonist (McPixel), and one of the most frustrating, but also rewarding games I've played (Cat Mario). Hard to say if it's worth the $10 on steam (I got it with the indie bundle). If you can find it for less, this is a must buy. Expand
  3. Dec 30, 2012
    A great game, different from usual. You need good reflexes in this game, and fast fingers!
    Very rhythmic, but it's one of those games that you lose a lot, and you ragequit.
  4. May 4, 2012
    This is a masterpiece. The game, although seemly simple, is very complex in feelings and gameplay. It tells the life since the fecundation of sperm and egg, to death, of a character named Commander Video..who is only a man. Music Platforming guides you though this incredible voyage, as every move you make adds to the soundtrack, you can play your own music while you jump. Highly reflexiveThis is a masterpiece. The game, although seemly simple, is very complex in feelings and gameplay. It tells the life since the fecundation of sperm and egg, to death, of a character named Commander Video..who is only a man. Music Platforming guides you though this incredible voyage, as every move you make adds to the soundtrack, you can play your own music while you jump. Highly reflexive platformer, fast, addictive..pure art. Expand
  5. May 4, 2012
    This game isn't terrible. It's a masterpiece. Although, yes, the game has a simplistic design, and, yes, it can become really frustrating, it's still an amazing game. It's like Pac-Man, or Space Invaders, the more you keep playing it, the better you can become at it. It is challenging trying to get 100% complete, but it's not impossible. The game has a flow to it. You play a level, playThis game isn't terrible. It's a masterpiece. Although, yes, the game has a simplistic design, and, yes, it can become really frustrating, it's still an amazing game. It's like Pac-Man, or Space Invaders, the more you keep playing it, the better you can become at it. It is challenging trying to get 100% complete, but it's not impossible. The game has a flow to it. You play a level, play through the rhythm, then, either complete the level, or mess-up, and immediately restart. But, by automatically putting the player back at the start when they mess up, is actually a pretty smart tactic, to keep the player playing. The music is a very catchy, and it does become addictive. Also, there are no delayed controls. They're perfectly functional. Just make sure you're computer can play it fine, though. Otherwise, it would be the lag screwing you over.

Overall, it's an amazing game. The only reason it's a 9, is because the Wii version (BIT.TRIP COMPLETE) has extra bonus stages, but the PC doesn't have them, unfortunately.
  6. May 4, 2012
    Man, this game is sooo good. Play it now play it now what are you doing go play this game. Go go go play this game. It's minimalistic but it's difficult as **** and that's what's missing from modern games bull**** bull**** words and ****
  7. Nov 7, 2012
    Got this thing from the Indie Bundle, it was the only title I wasn't looking forward to, and it ended up being the one I enjoyed the most. The graphics will never bore you, the gameplay is a witty rhytm game "disguised as a platform" and overall very fun to play. BROtip: it's also frustratingly hard, beware.
  8. Dec 29, 2013
    Addicting? Yes. Frustrating? Yes. Even though the premise is simple (avoid obstacles by either jumping, sliding, or kicking) it still offers a very big challenge. It will be a while before you beat it 100% including the bonus challenges which are pretty difficult and add to the challenge. This is a great indie title and it's easy enough for anyone to pick up, yet hard enough for evenAddicting? Yes. Frustrating? Yes. Even though the premise is simple (avoid obstacles by either jumping, sliding, or kicking) it still offers a very big challenge. It will be a while before you beat it 100% including the bonus challenges which are pretty difficult and add to the challenge. This is a great indie title and it's easy enough for anyone to pick up, yet hard enough for even experienced gamers to not beat it without breaking a sweat. Expand
  9. Dec 27, 2012
    A tremendous execution of a simple concept. The visuals are superb, in their funky 3D-2D kind of way, and the music is brilliantly entwined with the gameplay. You essentially have to run along an obstacle course, and the better you do, the nicer the sound gets. It's very rhythmic, so those who don't find music to be a particularly strong point of theirs, this game will be tough. In fact,A tremendous execution of a simple concept. The visuals are superb, in their funky 3D-2D kind of way, and the music is brilliantly entwined with the gameplay. You essentially have to run along an obstacle course, and the better you do, the nicer the sound gets. It's very rhythmic, so those who don't find music to be a particularly strong point of theirs, this game will be tough. In fact, even though I am a relatively good musician (I play a few instruments) this game was exceptionally difficult.
    Probably the toughest game I have played - it had me tearing my hair out when I got to the point of taking 1 hour on 1 level - but the game is such a perfect example of platforming that I couldn't care less.
  10. AWG
    Jul 26, 2013
    I hated this game. I cursed it. I shouted at it, swearing and offending its developers, and their mothers, and the mothers of their mothers. So many rage-quits I lost the count. And I loved it. I loved it so much. That feeling when you finally beat a difficult levelafter dozens of tries, that feeling when you beat Odyssey!! Just priceless. 8/10
  11. Oct 8, 2013
    First & most important: play this game with a gamepad. Do not try to play with a keyboard. You will make yourself miserable.

That being said, this is a solid platforming experience for any retro fan, especially for anyone who loves competing on leaderboards. It manages to stay consistently fun b/c while it’s difficult in some places, it never becomes impossible. Some complain about the difficulty but, and I can’t stress this enough: the game’s difficulty doesn’t come from crappy controls or poor design but rather from genuine challenge. The controls are very responsive and when you die it feels like it’s your fault, not the game’s fault.

Also, it’s only a few dollars. Some people on here are cheap bastards who are complaining about this game like it’s a $60, AAA title. It’s very well made and fun considering the price.

If you’re a casual gamer and just want to get through it to say you did, you can set this to easy mode and breeze through the vast majority of the game. However, you are still going to struggle with the last 3 levels no matter what. 3-11 gave me an extremely hard time, in particular, but it’s been a long time since I got that much enjoyment out of finally beating any part of a game.

If you find most of the game too boring, you can increase the difficulty, which adds gold bars across each level that can be collected to boost your score. Collect them all and you get a special bonus level full of more gold bars, made up in an old-school, Atari Pitfall visual style. The more difficult levels will give masochist leaderboard nuts hours & hours of entertainment, trying to top everyone else’s scores.

On the downside, the overall game is a bit short (only 3 worlds) and only the last 2 or 3 levels of a world will be any serious challenge. Also, I am not a leaderboard fiend, so there is no incentive for me to play the game on anything but easy mode. I could go back & torture myself by replaying levels & trying to collect the gold bars, but why would I? It won’t unlock anything or make any difference. The sequel that was released a few months ago addresses these types of issues.

You’ll be happy with this one if you pick it up in a bundle or on sale like I did. For a few dollars I had a fun, challenging time spread out over a few days and you can’t ask for much more than that.
  12. Jan 17, 2015
    Aka: OH GOD WHY DO I GET SO ANGRY WHEN I FAIL?

Aka: OH GOD WHY DO I GET SO ANGRY WHEN I FAIL?

Bit.Trip Runner is the third in the Bit.Trip series, which makes a break from convention of the previous two. This time, you actually play as Commander Video in a side-scrolling platformer. The screen moves at a cracking pace while you run constantly in a 3D retro 8-bit inspired world. Your basic functions are to jump, slide, and kick your way around/through obstacles, while collecting gold and powerups, to reach the finish line at each stage.

While this seems simple enough, and it is easy early on, it quickly delves into devious territory, requiring the utmost attention and rhythm. As with the previous Bit.Trip titles, the gameplay is heavily dependent on the music. As you collect powerups, the music becomes more and more intense, so you know after a few of them (and when that glorious rainbow trails behind you), you’re close to the end. It’s often much easier to time your jumps with the music, rather than looking at when obstacles are coming up.

But if you fail; fall down a gap, hit a wall, etc, it immediately carries you all the way back to the beginning, and starts straight away in that dull pre-powerup music. It’s incredibly demoralising, to know that you were so close, only to go right back to the start music. Particularly on the longer levels (damn you, Odyssey).

Because of the instant reload times, much like Super Meat Boy (who also gets a sneaky cameo), it forces you to keep trying, and keep trying, until you finally triumph. And you will retry. A lot.

Only one other game has ever made me more frustrated than this (you’ll keep, Dark Souls). I’d have the final powerup, rainbow trailing behind me, knowing the end is near, only to miss-time an easy jump and go all the way back to the start. My desk is not fist-pound rated, but it should be. What makes it frustrating, is that on paper, it is so simple. All it is, is timing and reflexes and knowing the right inputs. There’s no other tactics that that. But the timing here can be unforgiving.

Makes it all the better when you do finally complete a level you were stuck on forever.

This is the best of the Bit.Trip series; if you want to start somewhere, this is the game to buy.
tbd

No score yet - based on 1 Critic

1. Mar 21, 2011
    Bit.Trip Runner is glorious to behold and hear, but when it comes time to play it is often a frustrating experience.