6.5

1. Jan 17, 2015
    Aka: OH GOD WHY DO I GET SO ANGRY WHEN I FAIL?

Aka: OH GOD WHY DO I GET SO ANGRY WHEN I FAIL?

Bit.Trip Runner is the third in the Bit.Trip series, which makes a break from convention of the previous two. This time, you actually play as Commander Video in a side-scrolling platformer. The screen moves at a cracking pace while you run constantly in a 3D retro 8-bit inspired world. Your basic functions are to jump, slide, and kick your way around/through obstacles, while collecting gold and powerups, to reach the finish line at each stage.

While this seems simple enough, and it is easy early on, it quickly delves into devious territory, requiring the utmost attention and rhythm. As with the previous Bit.Trip titles, the gameplay is heavily dependent on the music. As you collect powerups, the music becomes more and more intense, so you know after a few of them (and when that glorious rainbow trails behind you), you’re close to the end. It’s often much easier to time your jumps with the music, rather than looking at when obstacles are coming up.

But if you fail; fall down a gap, hit a wall, etc, it immediately carries you all the way back to the beginning, and starts straight away in that dull pre-powerup music. It’s incredibly demoralising, to know that you were so close, only to go right back to the start music. Particularly on the longer levels (damn you, Odyssey).

Because of the instant reload times, much like Super Meat Boy (who also gets a sneaky cameo), it forces you to keep trying, and keep trying, until you finally triumph. And you will retry. A lot.

Only one other game has ever made me more frustrated than this (you’ll keep, Dark Souls). I’d have the final powerup, rainbow trailing behind me, knowing the end is near, only to miss-time an easy jump and go all the way back to the start. My desk is not fist-pound rated, but it should be. What makes it frustrating, is that on paper, it is so simple. All it is, is timing and reflexes and knowing the right inputs. There’s no other tactics that that. But the timing here can be unforgiving.

Makes it all the better when you do finally complete a level you were stuck on forever.

This is the best of the Bit.Trip series; if you want to start somewhere, this is the game to buy.
  2. Jun 10, 2014
    Otro plataformas musical bastante loco y pixelado. Todo un reto para la habilidad que a veces es demasiado exigente y lleva al abandono. Para comprar en super rebajas.
  3. Jun 9, 2014
    BIT.TRIP Runner share a good idea, but ultimately it's still a pretty repetitive game, which hurts the eyes to strength, and you will get tired quickly. Despite this, the sounds are pretty good, just what catches the game's history Runner is hard enough to understand, we wonder just what is the meaning of this game ^^
  4. Dec 29, 2013
    Addicting? Yes. Frustrating? Yes. Even though the premise is simple (avoid obstacles by either jumping, sliding, or kicking) it still offers a very big challenge. It will be a while before you beat it 100% including the bonus challenges which are pretty difficult and add to the challenge. This is a great indie title and it's easy enough for anyone to pick up, yet hard enough for evenAddicting? Yes. Frustrating? Yes. Even though the premise is simple (avoid obstacles by either jumping, sliding, or kicking) it still offers a very big challenge. It will be a while before you beat it 100% including the bonus challenges which are pretty difficult and add to the challenge. This is a great indie title and it's easy enough for anyone to pick up, yet hard enough for even experienced gamers to not beat it without breaking a sweat. Expand
  5. Nov 20, 2013
    Although this game was considerably better than BIT.TRIP.BEAT; it is unfortunately one of the most frustrating games you will ever play! If you love a challenge though, this is definitely the game for you! For the most part I did enjoy playing the game but regrettably I don’t have a strong threshold for rhythmic based precision games and being sent to the beginning of the level fifty timesAlthough this game was considerably better than BIT.TRIP.BEAT; it is unfortunately one of the most frustrating games you will ever play! If you love a challenge though, this is definitely the game for you! For the most part I did enjoy playing the game but regrettably I don’t have a strong threshold for rhythmic based precision games and being sent to the beginning of the level fifty times over just tired me out! I feel this game was generally a good one and will surely challenge pretty much everybody, but it’s really a one off arcade style experience! Expand
  6. Oct 17, 2013
    Never before has a greek legend (Sisyphus) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisyphus been so accurately portrayed. I felt just like King Sisyphus pushing the boulder up the hill only to have it roll down again so I had to start over and over forever. This is the computer game equivalent of CHOOSING to ram pinecones up your bottom until they pop back out again of their own accord. Bleeeeeeeeee!
  7. Oct 8, 2013
    First & most important: play this game with a gamepad. Do not try to play with a keyboard. You will make yourself miserable.

That being said, this is a solid platforming experience for any retro fan, especially for anyone who loves competing on leaderboards. It manages to stay consistently fun b/c while it’s difficult in some places, it never becomes impossible. Some complain about the difficulty but, and I can’t stress this enough: the game’s difficulty doesn’t come from crappy controls or poor design but rather from genuine challenge. The controls are very responsive and when you die it feels like it’s your fault, not the game’s fault.

Also, it’s only a few dollars. Some people on here are cheap bastards who are complaining about this game like it’s a $60, AAA title. It’s very well made and fun considering the price.

If you’re a casual gamer and just want to get through it to say you did, you can set this to easy mode and breeze through the vast majority of the game. However, you are still going to struggle with the last 3 levels no matter what. 3-11 gave me an extremely hard time, in particular, but it’s been a long time since I got that much enjoyment out of finally beating any part of a game.

If you find most of the game too boring, you can increase the difficulty, which adds gold bars across each level that can be collected to boost your score. Collect them all and you get a special bonus level full of more gold bars, made up in an old-school, Atari Pitfall visual style. The more difficult levels will give masochist leaderboard nuts hours & hours of entertainment, trying to top everyone else’s scores.

On the downside, the overall game is a bit short (only 3 worlds) and only the last 2 or 3 levels of a world will be any serious challenge. Also, I am not a leaderboard fiend, so there is no incentive for me to play the game on anything but easy mode. I could go back & torture myself by replaying levels & trying to collect the gold bars, but why would I? It won’t unlock anything or make any difference. The sequel that was released a few months ago addresses these types of issues.

You’ll be happy with this one if you pick it up in a bundle or on sale like I did. For a few dollars I had a fun, challenging time spread out over a few days and you can’t ask for much more than that.
  8. Sep 5, 2013
    At first it's frustrating. Some hours will pass and it becomes enjoyable, somehow. Then you realize that this offers limited gameplay, poor visuals, lousy sounds, and close to no fun. The controls are responsive, and the title song is enjoyable, but beyond that, there is nothing; like a phone game.
  9. Aug 27, 2013
    I'll start off by saying the soundtrack and sound effects are superb. The game is a joy to listen to. Everything else about it fails. The game lacks any checkpoint system so you'll become immensely frustrated since the smallest mistake will mean starting over from the beginning. The frame rate is also terrible and that combined with the graphical style made my eyes water in pain. I can'tI'll start off by saying the soundtrack and sound effects are superb. The game is a joy to listen to. Everything else about it fails. The game lacks any checkpoint system so you'll become immensely frustrated since the smallest mistake will mean starting over from the beginning. The frame rate is also terrible and that combined with the graphical style made my eyes water in pain. I can't stand to look at this game because of my eyes immediately start to hurt. Expand
  10. Aug 17, 2013
    This game is suck. Humdrum game with boring graphics and stupid level-design. hm.. not only that game the very bad parody of the 8bit games so also it is contained in a parody of a parody bonus levels, decorated in the style of the "old 8bits" -that are, incidentally, made ​​graphically at times better than the game itselfю And.. Nuff said. I regret the time spent on the game.
  11. AWG
    Jul 26, 2013
    I hated this game. I cursed it. I shouted at it, swearing and offending its developers, and their mothers, and the mothers of their mothers. So many rage-quits I lost the count. And I loved it. I loved it so much. That feeling when you finally beat a difficult levelafter dozens of tries, that feeling when you beat Odyssey!! Just priceless. 8/10
  12. May 9, 2013
    It looks good, it sounds good, but sometimes its just too much of a dick.
    It looks good, it sounds good, but sometimes its just too much of a dick.
    This is not the game for you if you don't have a really great memory, and good reflexes to go with it. My memory is good, but I struggle with this game. More precisely, with the boss, I just can't beat it. I can beat all stages leading up to it, but not the boss fight itself, he just tries to catch you off guard all the time, and the slightest mess-up will make you fail the stage. Even on easy it seems impossible to beat him (at least for me), and I've tried so many times, so so many times, and then I just gave up and never wanted to see that game again. But up to that point, the game was fun, and challenging.
    The tunes are great, controls are solid (response time is great), it looks great, and it's challenging, all you can want pretty much. Just the boss bit..yeah..ruins everything for me.
    I do recommend it, but with a warning of "Do not expect to complete".
  13. Mar 9, 2013
    I understand the enjoyment of difficult platformers, but this is all the difficulty of Super Meat Boy, with half the fun and twice the frustration. 2 minutes of mind-numbing running through the same level for the 3rd time, one slip of the thumb and you get to start all over again.
  14. Dec 30, 2012
    A great game, different from usual. You need good reflexes in this game, and fast fingers!
    Very rhythmic, but it's one of those games that you lose a lot, and you ragequit.
  15. Dec 27, 2012
    A tremendous execution of a simple concept. The visuals are superb, in their funky 3D-2D kind of way, and the music is brilliantly entwined with the gameplay. You essentially have to run along an obstacle course, and the better you do, the nicer the sound gets. It's very rhythmic, so those who don't find music to be a particularly strong point of theirs, this game will be tough. In fact,A tremendous execution of a simple concept. The visuals are superb, in their funky 3D-2D kind of way, and the music is brilliantly entwined with the gameplay. You essentially have to run along an obstacle course, and the better you do, the nicer the sound gets. It's very rhythmic, so those who don't find music to be a particularly strong point of theirs, this game will be tough. In fact, even though I am a relatively good musician (I play a few instruments) this game was exceptionally difficult.
    Probably the toughest game I have played - it had me tearing my hair out when I got to the point of taking 1 hour on 1 level - but the game is such a perfect example of platforming that I couldn't care less.
  16. Nov 7, 2012
    Got this thing from the Indie Bundle, it was the only title I wasn't looking forward to, and it ended up being the one I enjoyed the most. The graphics will never bore you, the gameplay is a witty rhytm game "disguised as a platform" and overall very fun to play. BROtip: it's also frustratingly hard, beware.
  17. Oct 31, 2012
    This game is a wonderful accidental find. Take Temple Run, Guitar Hero, McPixel, and Cat Mario, put them in a blender, and you get BIT.TRIP RUNNER. Dodging obstacles and collecting coins/power ups (Temple Run), to the beat (Guitar Hero) a wonderful progressive electronic soundtrack, all with a pixelated protagonist (McPixel), and one of the most frustrating, but also rewarding games I'veThis game is a wonderful accidental find. Take Temple Run, Guitar Hero, McPixel, and Cat Mario, put them in a blender, and you get BIT.TRIP RUNNER. Dodging obstacles and collecting coins/power ups (Temple Run), to the beat (Guitar Hero) a wonderful progressive electronic soundtrack, all with a pixelated protagonist (McPixel), and one of the most frustrating, but also rewarding games I've played (Cat Mario). Hard to say if it's worth the $10 on steam (I got it with the indie bundle). If you can find it for less, this is a must buy. Expand
  18. Aug 1, 2012
    I really liked this game at first--having already played Bit.Trip Beat--and found it pretty enjoyable for awhile. However, it rather quickly becomes pretty difficult, and since it makes you completely restart a level after every mistake, it can become massively frustrating. In the end I think its still worth playing if you can find it cheap ($5 on Steam sale isn't a bad deal for a coupleI really liked this game at first--having already played Bit.Trip Beat--and found it pretty enjoyable for awhile. However, it rather quickly becomes pretty difficult, and since it makes you completely restart a level after every mistake, it can become massively frustrating. In the end I think its still worth playing if you can find it cheap ($5 on Steam sale isn't a bad deal for a couple hours of fun). Expand
  19. May 30, 2012
    Not an exceptionally deep, brilliant or creative game, all you do is jump to avoid stuff. The game is quite long lasting though due to its sheer difficulty - it's very challenging and satisfying. The long lastingness is useless though since most people will likely play it for 2 hours maximum before getting tired of it.. I enjoyed the game for about 4 hours, and it was good, pick it up ifNot an exceptionally deep, brilliant or creative game, all you do is jump to avoid stuff. The game is quite long lasting though due to its sheer difficulty - it's very challenging and satisfying. The long lastingness is useless though since most people will likely play it for 2 hours maximum before getting tired of it.. I enjoyed the game for about 4 hours, and it was good, pick it up if you want a challenge. Expand
  20. May 12, 2012
    I'm convinced this game requires a lobotomy to appreciate. It's nothing more than another horrendous piece of hipster indie garbage with terrible "retro" graphics to mask the developer's lack of talent in every facet of game design. The entire game is nothing more than a mindless exercise in repetition and memorization. It's boring, lazy, and brainless, and its notoriety detracts fromI'm convinced this game requires a lobotomy to appreciate. It's nothing more than another horrendous piece of hipster indie garbage with terrible "retro" graphics to mask the developer's lack of talent in every facet of game design. The entire game is nothing more than a mindless exercise in repetition and memorization. It's boring, lazy, and brainless, and its notoriety detracts from indie developers who are actually making good games, many of whom are not even charging for their far superior work. Avoid this paradigm of artificial difficulty at all costs. Expand
  21. May 4, 2012
    Man, this game is sooo good. Play it now play it now what are you doing go play this game. Go go go play this game. It's minimalistic but it's difficult as **** and that's what's missing from modern games bull**** bull**** words and ****
  22. May 4, 2012
    Incredible memorization game with a big focus on rhythm. Extremely fun from start to finish! Fantastic controls that are extremely responsive. Well worth checking out!
  23. May 4, 2012
    This game isn't terrible. It's a masterpiece. Although, yes, the game has a simplistic design, and, yes, it can become really frustrating, it's still an amazing game. It's like Pac-Man, or Space Invaders, the more you keep playing it, the better you can become at it. It is challenging trying to get 100% complete, but it's not impossible. The game has a flow to it. You play a level, playThis game isn't terrible. It's a masterpiece. Although, yes, the game has a simplistic design, and, yes, it can become really frustrating, it's still an amazing game. It's like Pac-Man, or Space Invaders, the more you keep playing it, the better you can become at it. It is challenging trying to get 100% complete, but it's not impossible. The game has a flow to it. You play a level, play through the rhythm, then, either complete the level, or mess-up, and immediately restart. But, by automatically putting the player back at the start when they mess up, is actually a pretty smart tactic, to keep the player playing. The music is a very catchy, and it does become addictive. Also, there are no delayed controls. They're perfectly functional. Just make sure you're computer can play it fine, though. Otherwise, it would be the lag screwing you over.

Overall, it's an amazing game. The only reason it's a 9, is because the Wii version (BIT.TRIP COMPLETE) has extra bonus stages, but the PC doesn't have them, unfortunately.
  24. May 4, 2012
    This is a masterpiece. The game, although seemly simple, is very complex in feelings and gameplay. It tells the life since the fecundation of sperm and egg, to death, of a character named Commander Video..who is only a man. Music Platforming guides you though this incredible voyage, as every move you make adds to the soundtrack, you can play your own music while you jump. Highly reflexiveThis is a masterpiece. The game, although seemly simple, is very complex in feelings and gameplay. It tells the life since the fecundation of sperm and egg, to death, of a character named Commander Video..who is only a man. Music Platforming guides you though this incredible voyage, as every move you make adds to the soundtrack, you can play your own music while you jump. Highly reflexive platformer, fast, addictive..pure art. Expand
  25. Apr 26, 2012
    This game redembles a nice new take on the musicbased ganes and combines it with a retro style. It can be fun to play but you better prepare yourself to die often... very often. Good thing is that the game itself is designed for you to die: You will be set to the start. No Game Over scrren. No Overall Score. Nothing. Another problem this game has is, that you should react to the music butThis game redembles a nice new take on the musicbased ganes and combines it with a retro style. It can be fun to play but you better prepare yourself to die often... very often. Good thing is that the game itself is designed for you to die: You will be set to the start. No Game Over scrren. No Overall Score. Nothing. Another problem this game has is, that you should react to the music but in fact all you will do is rely on your visual and try to dodge all the obstacles this game throws at you. Most of the time you will make tiny Progress and try to learn through an Trial and Error method how the level is build. And that will make rage quite often. BUT the game can make fun if you are interested in a Platformer wicth insane difficulty. Expand
  26. Jan 1, 2012
    The charm wears off within minutes of playing this game when you realize how unresponsive the controls can be. In a platforming game centered around good rhythm and timing, you CAN NOT afford to have controls that delay slightly upon being pressed. I am also slightly annoyed by the quasi-Atari style graphics which seem to be a staple among Indie game developers these days. There's also aThe charm wears off within minutes of playing this game when you realize how unresponsive the controls can be. In a platforming game centered around good rhythm and timing, you CAN NOT afford to have controls that delay slightly upon being pressed. I am also slightly annoyed by the quasi-Atari style graphics which seem to be a staple among Indie game developers these days. There's also a difference between challenge and cheapness and this game skates a fine line, mostly in the direction of the latter. There is nothing fun about being 2-3 minutes into a level before hitting a staircase and having to start the entire process all over again. Yes, I understand it's a homage to older games and that old games are hard, I grew up with a NES, but it doesn't mean we still have to endure it 20 years later. But then again it is an Indie title, so I supposed you should still support the developers for trying, or something like that... Expand
  27. Dec 25, 2011
    I am still at a loss as to why this game was made, it is not particularly fun, clever, or cool. The graphics are boring and basic, and are crippled by horrible vsync issues. The soundtrack plain sucks, with the exclusion of the Title song. Gameplay is generally frustrating and repetitive.
  28. Dec 13, 2011
    The game wasn't even on my radar before I picked it up in the Humble Indie Bundle, and when I loaded it up and played the first level, I was immediately excited. The visual design of the game, as well as bouncy platform that synced up nicely with bouncy, happy 8-bit inspired beats instantly warmed my heart. However, the game did not waste its time becoming a frustrating experience. IThe game wasn't even on my radar before I picked it up in the Humble Indie Bundle, and when I loaded it up and played the first level, I was immediately excited. The visual design of the game, as well as bouncy platform that synced up nicely with bouncy, happy 8-bit inspired beats instantly warmed my heart. However, the game did not waste its time becoming a frustrating experience. I didn't even get out of the first zone before I turned the game off with a sigh. Imagine playing a rhythm game like guitar hero, but every time you missed a note, you had to start the entire song over again. If they were to take another stab at this idea, but fix a couple of the more frustrating set pieces (e.g., stairs are a HUGE pain) and perhaps add a rewind mechanic so that the cost of mistakes was not so high, then the fun would not be quite so outweighed by the frustration. I have continued to play this game, but I play it in short bursts, usually quitting when my teeth start to grind. Collapse
  29. Jul 3, 2011
    Like its counterpart, the music is only as good as the player. Instead of a controller, you're pretty much playing a rhythm game on fingers like on your handheld devices. And there are some stages that feel impossible to 100% complete.
  30. Dec 13, 2011
tbd

No score yet - based on 1 Critic

1. Mar 21, 2011
    Bit.Trip Runner is glorious to behold and hear, but when it comes time to play it is often a frustrating experience.