9.0

1. Nov 5, 2012
    It is the same game that it was when it was released a hundred years ago, but this time with shiny new graphics and better audio. It was a fun game in the original and while my memories of the original were very fond, it is like watching a movie you originally watched on VHS, on BlueRay. Looks better but feels the same. Good work on the mod, but it is essentially the same as it always was.
  2. Sep 30, 2012
    This game leaves me with mixed feelings. On the one hand its quite polished and is well defined and faithful to Half-life. It free and easy to install so that is nice. The voice acting is really great and gives NPCs far more to say and feels more human.

However it has too many annoying quirks. Such as the annoying "jump-crouch" being the solution to everything and the assumption that the player has played the original and remembers all the old solutions to events.

If you haven't played the original game you will find this a frustrating affair. Movement is another issue as it feels blocky and old fashioned.
  3. Jun 3, 2013
    I have the same problem with Black Mesa that I did with the original Half-Life. The first few chapters are an amazing horror experience where you make your way through a destroyed facility, just trying to get out alive, and if you play it on Hard, it's a challenging and rewarding experience. However, once the soldiers enter the mix, all the atmosphere disappears (it does come back later)I have the same problem with Black Mesa that I did with the original Half-Life. The first few chapters are an amazing horror experience where you make your way through a destroyed facility, just trying to get out alive, and if you play it on Hard, it's a challenging and rewarding experience. However, once the soldiers enter the mix, all the atmosphere disappears (it does come back later) and the game becomes a fairly boring shooter with frustratingly precise enemies. I'm not a shooter fan so the whole "shoot some guys, take some damage, find some health, repeat" thing wasn't all that interesting. Still, it's free, it's a classic, and you really owe it to yourself to check it out. Expand
  4. Dec 13, 2012
    What to say, its simply a free verion of half life source with changed name. Outdated graphics, and the story is the same as hl1. The reason i gave it a 5 was that the game was actually fun.
  5. Oct 30, 2012
    Like most people, I too have been waiting a long time for this mod and its amazing, enjoyable to both people who have and haven't played Half Life, the level design is fantastic, all the areas are essentially the same with some minor differences and some areas changed almost completely, its playable so far up to Lambda Core and Xen hasn't been released yet, they are working on it. TheLike most people, I too have been waiting a long time for this mod and its amazing, enjoyable to both people who have and haven't played Half Life, the level design is fantastic, all the areas are essentially the same with some minor differences and some areas changed almost completely, its playable so far up to Lambda Core and Xen hasn't been released yet, they are working on it. The soundtrack is amazing and voice acting is brilliant, some nice subtle references to half life and their own mod in the game which I found amusing, the only flaw I found was jumping which felt a little clunky but it didn't affect much, its on Source engine not GoldSrc so your gonna expect a different feel to the motion, it was the same with CS 1.6 and CS:S. The game is still as hardcore as Half Life, the marines are hard which I find good, there is a bug however with the helicopter on Surface Tension but that seems to be the only one I've found. I would recommend this mod to anyone, it feels like a commercial Valve game and plays like one and I enjoyed every single moment of it. So much work has gone into this and you can tell 10/10 Collapse

1. Nov 6, 2012
    We should applaud an excellent work made for free by fans of the original game.
  2. Oct 24, 2012
    A free game that lets you relive Half-Life without having to stomach outdated visuals. Essential to every gamer. [12/2012, p.69]
  3. Oct 24, 2012
    A superlative remake of one of the most important games ever made. [Dec 2012, p.89]