7.3

1. Nov 10, 2013
    In comparison to the original game, this follow up feels simplified. Sometimes it's for a good cause, but it often feels like content has been ripped away rather than refined.

The graphics are stunning, even today. But the game feels like a cheap RTS with uninspiring gameplay. You may take over villages by impressing them (this is the good way), and you do this by hoarding up a bunch of stuff in your starting village. It's unclear whether a lot of the stuff actually has any function besides looking pwetty and cranking up your impressiveness-meter. To unlock such things, you'll have to buy them through tribute. Tribute are earned by doing different "quests", which seems more like boring achievements. Such as building 10 houses, getting your creature to harvest 5000 grain, or taking over two towns. You may also earn tribute through silver scroll quests, that are a lot like the one's from the original game; where you have to go through small challenges such as solving puzzles or just throwing barrels from island to island. Even though the structure are the same as in the original, the quests feels a lot more shallow as your reward will always be tribute. You'll never be surprised by getting a silly beach ball or a new pet. In some levels throughout the game, the tribute thing may become a problem. Either you'll get bored, as you've unlocked everything early on; or you'll find a level impossible to win as you haven't unlocked enough stuff; while the opponent is about to build an epic wonder that'll be more or less an instant win. It'll then be very tedious having to restart a map that you've played for hours.

The creature aspect is another thing that has gotten revamped. You may choose from 4 pets at the very beginning of the game with no particular quest leading up to it. Then you'll be stuck with the same pet throughout the game, as there's no other ones to be earned. Your pet is easier to teach, as he will have a much clearer thought bubble over his head about exactly what you may praise or scold him about. You can also go back to any learned behavior via some menu clicks to re-scold or praise him again, should you change your mind. It becomes clear early on that the scold and praise thing is more of an on/off thing, than just directions. This makes the pet a lot easier to maintain, but it will also feel less like a pet, and more like a robot.

If you want to play as an evil god, you may take towns by force. This is done by creating soldiers, and may be combined with having your creature help out. The system will sometimes make things a bit too easy, as neutral towns rarely pose any challenge. The enemy towns tend to have an extreme amount of soldiers from the beginning though while you have to wait for the breeders to give you new men; making your small legions useless if you aren't stashing up heaps of them during a long time. The creature cannot take over towns just kill enemy troops and buildings; and as the influence system has been replaced with the impressiveness system, there's seldom any point in bringing the creature over to an enemy's town for other reasons than fighting.

Lastly, the tribute system also covers for the miracles and the skills of your pets. You will have to buy your miracles, as well as your creatures miracles; instead of teaching him them. You will also have to buy functions such as hand gestures and the possibility to force your hand through the influence radar; all through some uninteresting menus with boring descriptions.

Black and White 2 obviously aims to ease things for the player, making the system clearer and refined. But it comes off as shallow and uninspiring, and more of a regular strategy game instead of a god simulator. It's an okay game, but as the concept holds so much capacity; I must say I'm a bit disappointed.
  2. May 11, 2013
    Peter Molyneux really oversells a game and its "innovations" doesn't he? IGN quoted it as almost a game for non gamers and that's the biggest problem. Neither casual or hardcore fans are gonna enjoy it that much.
    Controlling your population/ civic stats and also troops for that matter, is a chore. The game makes it difficult to micro manage your troops and this will be a let down to hardcore rts players. But casuals are also not gonna enjoy it much because if without proper management of troops, resources and buildings (all of thing made hard by the design of the controls by the way) you become weak and vulnerable to enemy attacks. You can jump in the frey and do some of the resource gathering job for your civilization BUT its like a clerical job! I don't play games for that.
    And the pacing in this game! OMG its so slow! And not that's its supposed to, its because of the "innovative new user interface and experience lionhead is so proud of it'll infuriate any rts player.
    And finally, your creature control. Yeah, it was fun for a while but in the later levels it became a pain since i was trying to conquer an enemy city and my own creature was creating havoc at home! It quickly becomes into a pet you didn't want!

All in all this game is pretentious, thinks too low of its audience and paces itselfs like a snail going forward on a backward conveyor belt.
  3. Jul 7, 2012
    A decent game that can consume a lot of your time! It is quite enjoyable. But the warfare is completely stupid, what is the point of going to war if the enemy can use destroyed armories to create platoons? The enemy can create a fully experienced platoon in 3 seconds without having to recruit people. That makes warfare unnecessary and shallow.
  4. Jun 3, 2012
    best game ever i love it finished it and did it over again via cheat so much fun i could do it every day and i would not hate this game.............................
  5. Mar 3, 2011
    A very good game the storyline sadly cannot beat the original but limits to how evil or good you can be on this game a world above the original with new ways to torture and impress people. A very nice interface and smooth graphics worth the money not such a classic as the original but still a very good game.
  6. YongukK
    Aug 8, 2009
    Bad game just got worse. Now enemies have epic miracles that you will never can put your hands on, and soldiers that will melt down your creature which just steps over them like "Oh no please don't hurt me :(" Every new system gives you more pain, not help. If you are true gamer who think the good game means 'The game gives pleasure upon playing'. Do not ever think of Bad game just got worse. Now enemies have epic miracles that you will never can put your hands on, and soldiers that will melt down your creature which just steps over them like "Oh no please don't hurt me :(" Every new system gives you more pain, not help. If you are true gamer who think the good game means 'The game gives pleasure upon playing'. Do not ever think of playing this. It's sheer waste of time. Expand
  7. ZoeH
    May 24, 2008
    What can i say? this game has really impressed me. The first time i played it i was getting a bit bored with the long tutorial that you have to go through every time you start a new game but it does teach you well. A mega huge improvement over the original. The graphics took my breath away, you can really see every single blade of grass which blows in the wind and has little ants crawling What can i say? this game has really impressed me. The first time i played it i was getting a bit bored with the long tutorial that you have to go through every time you start a new game but it does teach you well. A mega huge improvement over the original. The graphics took my breath away, you can really see every single blade of grass which blows in the wind and has little ants crawling in it and every strand of the creature's fur is visible. The water looks real, the sky looks real. The game controls are the most unique ever and again are much better than the original. Black And White 1 was quite frustrating for me and the little people freaked me out they were so weird looking, in this game they look human. The music and sound effects are most stunning, you can hear the wind howl when you zoom out and the peoples' footsteps and talking when you zoom in. The only dissappointment was the game being so easy to beat and it was short, the armies weren't very much of a threat, all it usually takes is simply picking up a large rock and dropping it on the platoon to crush them all or just use the hand forcing ability. All i do to kill the enemy creature is use the meteor miracle on it a couple of times. Nothing to it. The game has lots of humour to keep you entertained. The creature will sometimes poo on people's heads, you can even pick up the poo and throw it around or drop it on people. There's many more good things i can say about this game but i'm not going to write it all. I'm getting the Battle Of The Gods expansion pack soon which will extend the story and add two new creatures (a Turtle and the Tiger). Also i will have an enemy god to fight against. I can't wait! Expand
  8. MattB
    May 2, 2008
    This game provides hours of fun and frustration as you choose whether you and your creature will be good or evil (playing the middle ground isn't fun). When I played the first level, I had fun just building houses, and kept finding new and fun parts of the game up till the point when I could never get enough ore to build things, and this made me ultra conservative with it. Military This game provides hours of fun and frustration as you choose whether you and your creature will be good or evil (playing the middle ground isn't fun). When I played the first level, I had fun just building houses, and kept finding new and fun parts of the game up till the point when I could never get enough ore to build things, and this made me ultra conservative with it. Military combat can just be downright annoying since your enemy has experienced armies and I never had an army that wasn't just a bunch of greens. Using my creature was alot of fun in some aspects, but tedious in others. NO! I don't think you should eat trees and rocks. OH GOD DONT EAT THAT ORE ROCK! But through and through, the game provides brilliant visuals and the capability to pimp out your city with various nick-nacs like lamps, which shine with brilliance even when you zoom out allowing to arrange them into formations that say your name, suck it aliens!, or just whatever your favorite dirty word is. Overall the game is fun, but sometimes the game is just straight up BUGGY. I suppose it's a side effect of how ambitious the game is or perhaps the fact that it was produced by the 'brilliant' producers at EA. I give it a 10 for all the fun and innovation, but -3 for the pain and suffering it brought me. Seeing how cheap it is now, it would make a great budget game. Expand
  9. JonasH.
    Mar 23, 2008
    This game is great. You control everything, being this the position of the natural resources (You need a tree in the town centre? Move it from the forrest) as well as how you want your citizens to act. One thing I love especially about this is that you can make an evil creature who'll eat and dump on citizens. Only on one, rather vital, point does this game fail. It has a terrible This game is great. You control everything, being this the position of the natural resources (You need a tree in the town centre? Move it from the forrest) as well as how you want your citizens to act. One thing I love especially about this is that you can make an evil creature who'll eat and dump on citizens. Only on one, rather vital, point does this game fail. It has a terrible bug that gives my Logitech G9 mouse (3200dpi) an 16DPi working resolution, and this really ruins the whole experience. It's very frustrating when, for the fifth time, you grab a citizen while trying to grab a tree or pad your pet. Collapse
  10. DougC.
    Jan 29, 2008
    I personally loved Black and White 1 because of its scope and complete originality. I was very excited about Black and White 2 and spent a huge amount of time watching for updates during it production. But i was quite disappointed when i finally got to play it (After spending a few days trying to get it to work when it was released) in my opinion the big downside is the opponents AI. I I personally loved Black and White 1 because of its scope and complete originality. I was very excited about Black and White 2 and spent a huge amount of time watching for updates during it production. But i was quite disappointed when i finally got to play it (After spending a few days trying to get it to work when it was released) in my opinion the big downside is the opponents AI. I was looking foward to large scale wars where i would need to use strategy to prevail (and a lot of fire xD) but all i got was the same number of troops attacking me at the same intervals and the computer not really reacting to anything i did. The toning down of creatures was also a let down, creature fights always just end when one leaps on the other one. All the punching before hand is meaningless. Its plot also didn't really seem adequate for a game where you are a god. Of course certain parts of the game were refreshing such as the level of control you had over creating your utopion city or totalitarianistic fortress and the ability to pick up 300 of your people and hurl them at an approaching army. But i personally think that if the game had not been so hastily released it would've been one of the best games for 2005. Expand
  11. EmilHåkman
    Sep 14, 2006
    it's is a awsom game and ill stick with what Nick H. said about the critics. but ill think the game play is fantastic. ill found some majdor things that not shod have left the beta but it was fixed. anyway one of my first toughts was "hay man this is like a cross road betwen age of empire and B&W and you know what ill like this ides!
  12. KarlyleH.
    Jan 29, 2006
    fun game but to much of the same thing over and over.
  13. LuxM.
    Jan 3, 2006
    Its a love it or hate it case. I hated it. The game tries to be non-linear but it fails in that you have to do the same thing over and over again which lost my interest very quickly. On top of that add bad controls and long load times.
  14. JesseCarmack
    Dec 31, 2005
    Black & White 2 is incomplete and broken. Besides the spectacular graphics and sound , the game suffers from flaws in every category. Whether it be the non-existant and highly scripted A.I , or the sheer lack of any real game. You will not find a great strategy game, or an innovative "god" game here. This game is abysmal. Keep away.
  15. JamieC.
    Oct 27, 2005
    I give this game a 9 for only one reason. They DIDNT put Any other Game MOde then Story. BUt still its a great game.
  16. KDep
    Oct 25, 2005
    Spectacular graphics. I am very stunned by the amazing colours and work put into the textures. The game is a definite upgrage from B & W 1, with more to do, better things to build, and more freedom. Go Tiger!!
  17. NickH.
    Oct 25, 2005
    It's obvious that a number of "critics" who played this wonderful game hated Black and White 2 before they installed it. They had already made up their minds that it did not live up to the hype or did not hit on it's promises. It's cleary obvious when you take the time to read the reviews. Here's a few examples. EuroGamer claims that it's impossible to stay It's obvious that a number of "critics" who played this wonderful game hated Black and White 2 before they installed it. They had already made up their minds that it did not live up to the hype or did not hit on it's promises. It's cleary obvious when you take the time to read the reviews. Here's a few examples. EuroGamer claims that it's impossible to stay 'good'. But, if you ask anyone who has actually played the game from the good perspective - they'll tell you it's rather simple. Computer Gaming World doesn't understand what the evil structures do. It's obvious that the review didn't notice there are "good" buildings and "evil" building and went on creating Taverns right next to his Prisons. GameBiz says that it's the same game as the one from four years ago. Well yes. I guess if you forget the RTS side, "Pharaoh"-level city building aspect, vastly altered creature interaction/AI, and streamlined gameplay - then yes, it's the "same" game, you do play the same God afterall. Frankly, it seems many critics are giving this game negative reviews out of spite. What do I mean? Look at Black and White 1, one of the best reviewed games of all time. It doesn't deserve that 90% it has. It's too akward and banal. But, since it was a different sort of game (4 years ago), it got amazing reviews. Years have gone by and critics have noticed that B&W 1 wasn't the greatest game of all time, as they had thought. They got angry - and now they want to exact their vengence on Black and White 2. And unjustly so. This game is great, it really deserves better than what it's getting from some of these "critics". Lush visuals, fun gameplay, great sound, and nice controls make for a totally engrossing gaming experience. It's well worth your money. Expand
  18. PaulC.
    Oct 25, 2005
    Good game, not as open ended as BW1, but a good game none the less. If i was critical i'd have to say the combat was a letdown - just have more "troops" and you'll win. Terrain and Height - that was so important up to this point - suddenly is meaningless is a swarm of arms/legs and torso's reminiscent of the"Settler" series of games (Or a low budget "art" movie ...ahem) Good game, not as open ended as BW1, but a good game none the less. If i was critical i'd have to say the combat was a letdown - just have more "troops" and you'll win. Terrain and Height - that was so important up to this point - suddenly is meaningless is a swarm of arms/legs and torso's reminiscent of the"Settler" series of games (Or a low budget "art" movie ...ahem) Also the arbiary and massive nature of some of the specials. _ Siren call = game over. Volcano = game over. You don't see them coming - but when they hit you (normally after you've invested 2 hours into a level) the only viable option is reload - restart. How arbitary is that ? Rule 3 in the "What games should and shouldn't do" could read. - Do not punish your player for just playing the game. It is not funny, and they may not buy another game from you. Pete - If your reading this -of course I will, looking forward to "Movies" just don't do this again. Expand
  19. LukeK.
    Oct 20, 2005
    This is a gerat game one of the best i have played, the only thig that can be improved is there should be a multiplayer.
  20. BjornKM.
    Oct 19, 2005
    Much MUCH better than the original. I am not a hardcore RTS-gamer, I like to keep things under control and time without too many balls in the air. While Black and White 2 may disappoint the elite RTS player, it still is a great game for the average gamer - Which is a good thing IMO.
  21. JaunM.
    Oct 19, 2005
    This is an absolute gem!!!
  22. BobH.
    Oct 17, 2005
    This is a brilliant game! sure it had bugs but who cares when its so amazing!
  23. JesseM.
    Oct 15, 2005
    This game is excellent. They've impoved in many area's.. and they've screwed up in many (Movement in the game). Awesome game. Easily worth buying.
  24. KC
    Oct 9, 2005
    Beautiful game with decent depth, its very easy to get stuck on it once things are up and running, i've finished it once and i'm going for another round because i still haven't gotten enough of this brew of sim city and rome: total war. There seem's to be some problem with the creature AI though, at times it can be stuck in a spot while trying to execute an action, thisBeautiful game with decent depth, its very easy to get stuck on it once things are up and running, i've finished it once and i'm going for another round because i still haven't gotten enough of this brew of sim city and rome: total war. There seem's to be some problem with the creature AI though, at times it can be stuck in a spot while trying to execute an action, this is especially frustrating when the creature is seiging a wall with archers shooting flaming arrows at him. The game seem's to be biased to the destruction side because it really seems easier to win the land that. Great 3D modeling and animation, outstanding interactivity with almost everything on the land, fun physics, good humour and beautiful graphical rendering. Looking forward to the multiplayer patch. Expand
  25. BobK.
    Oct 7, 2005
    Great game, way better than the 1st.
  26. JohnnyS.
    Oct 7, 2005
    Do not believe the hype, this the the poster boy for an 'average' game. Quite nice looking but many design/ai flaws and a very repetitive nature make this far from a masterpiece.
  27. WesW.
    Oct 6, 2005
    i think it's pretty cool. i loved the first one, and just got this one today and have been playing it all day. it kicks ass.
  28. GiancarloB.
    Oct 6, 2005
    Although the ai does not reach out as mush as it did in the first game its still probobly one of the most spectacular games iv ever played. the freedom of the game is almost boundless and training ur creature is just one of the funest things ever. really good job on this one.
  29. bigtroutz
    Oct 3, 2005
    I have not seen this version of the game.

However, all should be warned that the original B & W game was filled with fatal crashes which made playing it to completion impossible. Furthermore, although Lionhead was aware of the bugs, no patches were ever made.
    A big waste of money, IMO.
  30. ToddS.
    Sep 30, 2005
    If your lookin for a fun game this is it, and arent games suposed to be fun?

1. Edge Magazine
    As an RTS, Black & White 2 is less deep, but just as flexible and responsive – and when creatures, miracles, wonders and large armies are all in play it’s arguably the greatest show in gaming. [Nov 2005, p.94]
    There are plenty of things that I wish the game had included, but the one thing the game definitely needs to do is build a greater sense of personal involvement between you and your worshippers. As it is they mean absolutely nothing to you beyond their occupations.
  3. Much like Sid Meier's recent reinvention of "Pirates!,' huge numbers of ideas have been included at the sacrifice of any of them being particularly impressive. Jack of far too many trades, apprentice at only a few.