7.6

1. Sep 5, 2012
    I don`t understand all the negative reviews on this game. For me is the single most brilliant game ever made, too bad it doesn't have a sequel to follow it's steps. From graphics to gameplay to story, this is the game that filled my early years in gaming with hope that the game industry will grow in intelligence and innovation. I was wrong, but still this game deserves to be in top 10 everI don`t understand all the negative reviews on this game. For me is the single most brilliant game ever made, too bad it doesn't have a sequel to follow it's steps. From graphics to gameplay to story, this is the game that filled my early years in gaming with hope that the game industry will grow in intelligence and innovation. I was wrong, but still this game deserves to be in top 10 ever made. It saddens me that so many ppl view it as junk.
    One of the best. 10/10
  2. Mar 3, 2011
    One of the first games i ever played and i have to say one of my favorates, this game has one of the best story lines i have ever come across a very fun game to play "black and White, Find out who you really are" this really game lets you go ahead throw that man off a cliff you have no one to answer too, burn that womans house no one can stop you put that child in a pack of wolves see whatOne of the first games i ever played and i have to say one of my favorates, this game has one of the best story lines i have ever come across a very fun game to play "black and White, Find out who you really are" this really game lets you go ahead throw that man off a cliff you have no one to answer too, burn that womans house no one can stop you put that child in a pack of wolves see what happens. This game will release the good or evil in you. The graphics havnt really stood the test of time unlike age of empires for example but the game is still great and worth buying. Expand
  3. Sep 16, 2013
    I'm glad the game is finally getting the real reviews it actually deserves, since behind its sharp presentation lies an overwhelming mess of a game. From the woeful tutorial sections at the beginning of the game, to the intuitive design choices, Black and White seems more like a title designed to frustrate the player than to actual teach them anything. If anyone recalls the much betterI'm glad the game is finally getting the real reviews it actually deserves, since behind its sharp presentation lies an overwhelming mess of a game. From the woeful tutorial sections at the beginning of the game, to the intuitive design choices, Black and White seems more like a title designed to frustrate the player than to actual teach them anything. If anyone recalls the much better game, Populous 3, which came out some years before this, exceeds in teaching the player fairly basic mechanics and structure without attaching a one ton weight that is the atrocious AI of Black And White's infamous "creatures." You start the game off helping some folks being GOD and whatnot, you aren't opposed to helping (or harming) people once in awhile. After you're bored with that its time to listen to a tutorial for an hour rather than to introduce things slowly to the player without patronizing them or belittling their technical abilities to understand how a very basic game actually works. Their is no "management" of your throng of villagers, the gaggles of them will just literally do whatever you need them to do. Should you wish, you could essentially sit around and do nothing for them, but unfortunately nothing would ever get done. Unsurprisingly these villagers are pretty slow compared to you, GOD, who can essentially do their work for them much faster. After a few buildings are finished you will get to pick from three adorably polygonal monstrous creatures: A cow, a lion or an Orangutan. In what can only be described as, "tedious to a degree not since seen in any other game ever" you are now forced into what can only be described as a pet simulation till the end of single player game. None of the creatures were particularly better than you, GOD, and the effort needed to train these beasts from murdering citizens or gaining their trust before picking one up all of a sudden and eating them was mentally draining. I certainly don't remember this portion of the game being intuitive either. In fact I found it revolting how easily you could accidentally train your monster something entirely wrong and not know the consequences until it was too late. I never even bothered to finished the incredibly long winded Single player portion, as I was just too frustrated by the creature AI mechanics to possibly stomach the rest of the game. Though it was met with exceedingly amazed reviewers at its time of release, since then it has been confirmed for one of the most overrated and over hyped pieces of software to come out in some time. Is it fun to pick up villagers and throw all of them into the ocean one by one in an effort to bring some peace from the chaos? Yes of course. But you'll never get anything done that way. Expand
  4. ndr
    Oct 28, 2012
    I loved this game. My biggest wish is that they make the "3rd" one also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. Jun 19, 2013
    This game had so much promise, but it falls short of its godly goals. That said, the game is still enjoyable thanks to the fact that YOU ARE A GOD. Seriously. Why didn't they make B&W3? With the hardware and even software out now, that game would be truly at epic proportions fit for a player-god.

Quirky and funny dialogue from your advisers eventually get old. And, yes the gameplay does eventually get rather boring after a while and the story isn't even really worth paying attention to. Most of the time, I just try to build the best, most efficient city ever and then once my goals are met I bring the apocalypse upon my people. Muahahaha! Ahem.

Anyways, I wouldn't exactly recommend this game, but if it's really cheap then buy it. Otherwise, I'd go for B&W 2 instead. Since it's basically the same game, only better! (and prettier too)
  6. Jan 4, 2014
    Well... I am on the final land... I am trying to be a good god and impress villages, so first a make sure my villagers are happy. Then I raise the totem. Oh, I see that the villagers worshipping want food. Sure! Still in control... Okay, now to impress. Oh no! My influence is too small! Nevermind, I have a creature for such problems. Then I hear the death call. Hmm... I know I will get aWell... I am on the final land... I am trying to be a good god and impress villages, so first a make sure my villagers are happy. Then I raise the totem. Oh, I see that the villagers worshipping want food. Sure! Still in control... Okay, now to impress. Oh no! My influence is too small! Nevermind, I have a creature for such problems. Then I hear the death call. Hmm... I know I will get a heal and heal the people Okay, there, now to refill the food of the people. Alright, now to... Oh no! People are dying at the worship site! I must lower the totem. Okay, now my creature must go impress the village! Hang on! Why is he so small! Oh no! I spent too much time trying to be good that my creature has shrunk! Well anyway, I will send him! NOOO! Nemisis chucked like a million fireballs at him!!! NO! Oh no! My villages need more civic buildings! why are there so many children! Oh! Oh to hell with good! where's that fireball dispenser? Oh no! I accidentally destroyed it! Well, let me see how much belief I need, maybe I can expand my influence. 3500 belief needed. Expand
  7. NicholasS.
    Feb 23, 2002
    Totally awesome.
  8. JonK.
    Oct 18, 2003
    How did this score so highly? No, no, no!! I await Black & White 2 eagerly, but sadly the original was fatally flawed. It takes what is essentially a sandbox environment where you look after your creature and your worshippers, and restricts it with a rigid structure that's repetitive, dull, frustrating and badly paced. Plus, it's near impossible to play again because of the very How did this score so highly? No, no, no!! I await Black & White 2 eagerly, but sadly the original was fatally flawed. It takes what is essentially a sandbox environment where you look after your creature and your worshippers, and restricts it with a rigid structure that's repetitive, dull, frustrating and badly paced. Plus, it's near impossible to play again because of the very lengthy tutorial you're forced to sit through... Expand
  9. Mar 18, 2011
    Every so often a game comes along that makes you stare in disbelief. This is that game for me. Maybe I'm to old but I know **** when I see it. This game reminds me of the Segway. It was supposed to revolutionize gameplay. It had the best minds behind it. Yeah, right. It's nothing but hype. The product simply fails to deliver in any category. The people who like this game are the sameEvery so often a game comes along that makes you stare in disbelief. This is that game for me. Maybe I'm to old but I know **** when I see it. This game reminds me of the Segway. It was supposed to revolutionize gameplay. It had the best minds behind it. Yeah, right. It's nothing but hype. The product simply fails to deliver in any category. The people who like this game are the same people who are proud to wear DKNY. How they ever got into the gaming world is beyond me. Expand
  10. Jerry
    Jan 6, 2004
    This game wuz pretty amazing in the beginning but it became boring and the graphics culd have been a bit better......
  11. RiddlerX
    Jul 2, 2002
    Everything is great, but the multiplay online part sucks, big time.... about 2% of all online games created work... it either crashes or no connection established.
  12. MikeN.
    May 14, 2007
    Unplayable. B&W has a promising game concept, controling a big fury silly godlike cute creature that can evolve as the game progresses. And the game had extremely nice graphics for the time when it was released, and the presentation of the game and tutorial is top notch and it has an innovative control system, so as a game developer I fully appreciate the game and it is a nice work of Unplayable. B&W has a promising game concept, controling a big fury silly godlike cute creature that can evolve as the game progresses. And the game had extremely nice graphics for the time when it was released, and the presentation of the game and tutorial is top notch and it has an innovative control system, so as a game developer I fully appreciate the game and it is a nice work of art. But as a gamer there simply isn't any game to play, micro managment of the minions is killing the game and training the AI is close to impossible. However the game serves as a great tool of sorting out magazines that do real game reviews and those the just look at the cover, play the game for 15 minutes and then write a review. Don't ever buy one of the magazines that rated this game above 70. I haven't tried out B&W2 yet, but hopefully gameplay is included in the sequel which might make it a great game. Expand
  13. KarlN.
    Sep 21, 2007
    I didn't get far enough into the game to critique the game mechanics. It's the philosophy behind this game that bothers me. I find this game annoying because it assumes that people are whiny, helpless creatures that only know how to do three things: grovel for help, run in terror, or bow in terror/reverence. Surely people could have a more sophisticated response to God. Surely I didn't get far enough into the game to critique the game mechanics. It's the philosophy behind this game that bothers me. I find this game annoying because it assumes that people are whiny, helpless creatures that only know how to do three things: grovel for help, run in terror, or bow in terror/reverence. Surely people could have a more sophisticated response to God. Surely there could be something more than just fear driving human actions. This disappoints me because the game was ambitious and I would like to see more attempts at these kinds of games. Expand
  14. ai
    Mar 10, 2009
    If being god is this dull and boring, he'd have to shoot himself. this is the only game I ever bought that I was not able to advance past a few missions, for the sheer pain of playing futher. thinking of the possible obligation to play the game in light of buying it was like doing advanced accounting homework: wishing for a break; dawdling the time; picking up other things to do.
  15. YongukK
    Aug 8, 2009
    Okay, this game is like second-secondhand yacht; It looks great, sails fine. Then it begins to sink in the very middle of the sea. Oops. All the systems praised by critics proven to be buggy and incomplete; I found myself tired of training stupid creatures and feeding villagers who cannot live on if i do not full their storage every 10 minute. And what about hard and frustrating quests? Okay, this game is like second-secondhand yacht; It looks great, sails fine. Then it begins to sink in the very middle of the sea. Oops. All the systems praised by critics proven to be buggy and incomplete; I found myself tired of training stupid creatures and feeding villagers who cannot live on if i do not full their storage every 10 minute. And what about hard and frustrating quests? This game is one overrated abomination. Expand
  16. WillS.
    Jun 22, 2001
    Much to my disappointment, Black and White offers Godhood, but the delivery suffers mortal flaws. Naive, kitschy characters (a little devil and a wizard-type figure that are about as charming as the Microsoft paperclip), blocky and dull-looking worshippers and kludgy game play make for uninspiring game play. Sadly, B&W doesn't deliver half of what it promises.
  17. HeikkiM.
    Aug 13, 2007
    Horrible repetitive shallow garbage through and through. If you look past the graphics, a child could program a better game than this in BASIC in one hour. You can test the trustworthiness of a review site by checking what they had to say about B&W: the ones that praised it played it for a few moments, tops.
  18. ToeK.
    Sep 21, 2007
    Very subpar game. not very fun. controls suck.
  19. Nov 10, 2013
    The concept of this game is so very appealing, but it makes me feel a bit let down. The creature aspect either feels too advanced, or just wasn't thought through completely. I can't decide. Somehow it will feel like having a real pet, with a colorful personality where you can affect it's choices, lifestyle and morale. But the system for doing this requires a lot of patience, as it's seldomThe concept of this game is so very appealing, but it makes me feel a bit let down. The creature aspect either feels too advanced, or just wasn't thought through completely. I can't decide. Somehow it will feel like having a real pet, with a colorful personality where you can affect it's choices, lifestyle and morale. But the system for doing this requires a lot of patience, as it's seldom clear on how to do this. Often you will be required to watch him closely every minute to find the right timing on when to praise him or scold him, and the outcome may still not be what you thought it to be. It also seems like the creature forgets stuff over time, so he will have to keep relearning things throughout the game, which proves tedious. As for being a god the layout feels clever. You'll impress different towns with your godly ways, which will give you enough influence for them to start worshiping you. But you may only do stuff within your "influence radar", which makes it essential to either bring your pet over to impress or cause distress; or throw rocks and stuff from afar like crazy until people take notice. Sometimes, it works out well and you'll feel good about it. Other times, you'll want to rip your hair out as the god-villain so easily may electrify your creature to death, making your choices very few on how to proceed. It's also quite sad how boring it may be to be a god, as it often will feel like a village simulator where you just micromanage stuff; like turning citizens into farmers, build stuff and keep bringing food over to your worshipers. And every level will be repetitive as this is pretty much all you do. Then there's the side quests. They're always cheesy, but often a fun break from the regular god-stuff that you do. The rewards will often be surprising, but seldom that useful. Though I have to say that most of the charm in this game lies within such things. I find a lot of pleasure from the side quests, exploring the world, pressing F1 to get descriptions of weird stuff on the islands, checking out small easter eggs and such. It's clear that the game is meant to be quirky and fun, rather than a die hard strategy game. Expand
  20. ZiggyStardust
    Nov 9, 2002
    A nice concept, but I didn't find the game as enjoyable as I expected.
  21. CherylK.
    Jun 7, 2002
    This is one of the best games I've ever played unique and innovative. The graphics are rich and the details astounding. I'll give it a 9 instead of the 10 it deserves sheerly out of contempt with the lack of patches given for Black & White's expansion pack: Creatures Isle. Overall its a wonderful game that I recommend it for all. Good for ages young to immortal.
  22. GrantC.
    Feb 8, 2003
    I definitely give this game a 10! i received it from my parents as a birthday present without askign for it. So i tried it out and I LOVED IT I've been playnig hours a day for over a year now, (i just turned 13) It is an awesome game for both the hardcore and casual gamer.
  23. AlexE.
    Oct 14, 2001
    Best game ever but extremely demanding requirements.
  24. AlexE.
    Oct 14, 2001
    Best game ever but extremely demanding requirements.
  25. RichardH.
    Jun 10, 2002
    I think this is a great game. I only find a single problem, the saving system. I often find erased saves (??) as well as other flaws with the autosave.
  26. TheWatcher
    Feb 23, 2003
    This game is amazing. It is so realistic everything from trees that grow to cows that breed. If you love games than this one is for you! The game is very easy to learn so don't listen to those idiots at Computer Games Magazine or Gaming Age. Not only that its awesome for single player experiences! If possible I would give it a 110 out of 10! Try It!!!
  27. JacobW.
    Jul 23, 2003
    This game rocks. The things this game lets you do is just unbelievable. I trust my little people about as far as I can throw them, and thats pretty far. Autosave kicks in to many times. But thats ok.
  28. TomW.
    Mar 8, 2008
    Imaginative and fun. Lionhead takes god games another step forward.
  29. BenF
    Nov 29, 2009
    The only reason, in my book, this didn't score a perfect ten is the annoyance of excessive micromanagement. The game itself is a complete marvel, an innovative game that breaks the boundaries of what many games today still struggle and hide behind. However, the micromanagement becomes too much of a thorn in your side unless you get yourself together within around 10 minutes. Case in The only reason, in my book, this didn't score a perfect ten is the annoyance of excessive micromanagement. The game itself is a complete marvel, an innovative game that breaks the boundaries of what many games today still struggle and hide behind. However, the micromanagement becomes too much of a thorn in your side unless you get yourself together within around 10 minutes. Case in point: I am currently on a level where i must capture and maintain the faith of 3 villages. Not only am I under threat from the opposing god, i also have to fill granaries and silos, build homes, MANUALLY set individuals to SPECIFIC jobs, and many other fiddly tasks. If you leave your plebites to try and control themselves, the game becomes a nightmare. This aside, this game is an absolutely addicting masterpiece with innovation by the bucketloads. A MUST play. Expand
  30. BrianH.
    Dec 28, 2001
    Although the game is brilliant, I have to say it is most annoying when you keep getting interupted by the other realms especialy just when you are at a crucial moment in the game. Who the bloody hell thought of that bit in the game? Shoot the bastard.
  31. DeAnna
    Jan 4, 2003
    This is game blew me away I played every night and day after school! It's fun and addictive! For all the old people out there who don't know how to open word won't like it very much, but if you can open a program you will open this one and find yourself sucked in!
  32. KeenanH
    Jun 6, 2008
    Black & White is a good game,but it needed a little more work.It has a few flaws.A few are:not enough informational feedback,too short,too easy,a few bugs,and all the villagers do is need food,need wood,need kids,and need homes constantly.Patch 1.1 helps a lot with the bugs,but not much else.There are only five easy levels,a few simple skirmishes,and multiplayer.I gave it a 9 because it Black & White is a good game,but it needed a little more work.It has a few flaws.A few are:not enough informational feedback,too short,too easy,a few bugs,and all the villagers do is need food,need wood,need kids,and need homes constantly.Patch 1.1 helps a lot with the bugs,but not much else.There are only five easy levels,a few simple skirmishes,and multiplayer.I gave it a 9 because it is a great game,the flaws can be overlooked easily if you like the good parts of the game,such as:great story,easy controls,living in Eden,being a god,and having vast amounts of freedom to do what You want.Good,Evil,it doesn't matter,You are a GOD! Expand
  33. BenH
    May 6, 2009
    Possibly the most innovative game I have ever played. It had flaws, but those were very well balanced and circumvented by the game's lack of a HUD and blissfully well-done controls. Best game that Lionhead has ever done.
  34. DanS.
    May 29, 2001
    I am pure jealous of my friend owning this game, this is a sweet cream pie on a hot summer's day.
  35. AndyC.
    Jul 28, 2001
    Everything is fine, except the fact that being evil is more easy than good.
  36. Diane
    Aug 21, 2002
    Absolutley addicted to this game. The only other game I play so much is Half Life's multiplayer TFC. I can spend days playing this game!! Only 1 problem....it tends to freeze up and crash occasionally (it seems like this happens when I want to quick save...LOL!!)
  37. May 1, 2011
    Black & White was one of the first computer games I ever purchased for myself. Though having some major issues, this game was entertaining enough to keep my interest for a while. The miracle system and freedom to act how you please are what made this game so entertaining. No boundaries but your own sense of right and wrong. However, the AI was leagues behind where it needed to be for aBlack & White was one of the first computer games I ever purchased for myself. Though having some major issues, this game was entertaining enough to keep my interest for a while. The miracle system and freedom to act how you please are what made this game so entertaining. No boundaries but your own sense of right and wrong. However, the AI was leagues behind where it needed to be for a game like this. Stupid villagers cannot even feed themselves if you don't manage their village's every need. Your creature will walk around eating folk, even if you slap him silly every time he does it. This game was created far before its time. If made today, this could have been so much better! Expand
  38. Dec 16, 2011
    It is an absolutely great amazing... but... it gets boring way too much quickly I even have not finished it, although it looks very promising, the features and possibilities in this game are endless, yet still boring.
  39. Aug 6, 2014
    I always loved those I am GOD games, and especially this one had so much potential and so many excellent ideas, that it was almost more fun thinking about it and about all that potential than actually playing it. I loved the concept, but I also remember that it never kept me entertained for more than a few first levels, but it's definitely one of those titles that deserves to be rememberedI always loved those I am GOD games, and especially this one had so much potential and so many excellent ideas, that it was almost more fun thinking about it and about all that potential than actually playing it. I loved the concept, but I also remember that it never kept me entertained for more than a few first levels, but it's definitely one of those titles that deserves to be remembered for what it is and for what it tried to do.7/10 Expand
  40. May 12, 2015

1. It's the sort of game that comes around once every few years and totally changes the gaming landscape.
  2. After about 15-25 hours (Depending on the gamer) the game just seems to lose it’s fun factor. Sadly, many games released nowadays don’t even have 15 hours gameplay in them, let alone 15 hours of damn fun gameplay; Black and White does indeed have this.
    Black & White miraculously pulls you in and doesn't let go until you've sacrificed many hours.