Black & White PC

7.7

1. Sep 5, 2012
    I don`t understand all the negative reviews on this game. For me is the single most brilliant game ever made, too bad it doesn't have a sequel to follow it's steps. From graphics to gameplay to story, this is the game that filled my early years in gaming with hope that the game industry will grow in intelligence and innovation. I was wrong, but still this game deserves to be in top 10 everI don`t understand all the negative reviews on this game. For me is the single most brilliant game ever made, too bad it doesn't have a sequel to follow it's steps. From graphics to gameplay to story, this is the game that filled my early years in gaming with hope that the game industry will grow in intelligence and innovation. I was wrong, but still this game deserves to be in top 10 ever made. It saddens me that so many ppl view it as junk.
    One of the best. 10/10
  2. Mar 3, 2011
    One of the first games i ever played and i have to say one of my favorates, this game has one of the best story lines i have ever come across a very fun game to play "black and White, Find out who you really are" this really game lets you go ahead throw that man off a cliff you have no one to answer too, burn that womans house no one can stop you put that child in a pack of wolves see whatOne of the first games i ever played and i have to say one of my favorates, this game has one of the best story lines i have ever come across a very fun game to play "black and White, Find out who you really are" this really game lets you go ahead throw that man off a cliff you have no one to answer too, burn that womans house no one can stop you put that child in a pack of wolves see what happens. This game will release the good or evil in you. The graphics havnt really stood the test of time unlike age of empires for example but the game is still great and worth buying. Expand
  3. ndr
    Oct 28, 2012
    I loved this game. My biggest wish is that they make the "3rd" one also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. Jun 3, 2015
    Its 2015 and i am still playing this, not often as it isn't much for the replayability but it brings back memories of me originally playing it 10+ years ago. Graphics are a little off but look at how old it is. I believe i saw a comment from 2013 complaining about that but they didnt take into the age factor. I wish Black & white 2 stayed closer to this games gameplay. I also wish thereIts 2015 and i am still playing this, not often as it isn't much for the replayability but it brings back memories of me originally playing it 10+ years ago. Graphics are a little off but look at how old it is. I believe i saw a comment from 2013 complaining about that but they didnt take into the age factor. I wish Black & white 2 stayed closer to this games gameplay. I also wish there was more done of this, i haven't played another game like it and i want to. But i just have to deal with this and 2. Expand
  5. NicholasS.
    Feb 23, 2002
    Totally awesome.
  6. Jerry
    Jan 6, 2004
    This game wuz pretty amazing in the beginning but it became boring and the graphics culd have been a bit better......
  7. CherylK.
    Jun 7, 2002
    This is one of the best games I've ever played unique and innovative. The graphics are rich and the details astounding. I'll give it a 9 instead of the 10 it deserves sheerly out of contempt with the lack of patches given for Black & White's expansion pack: Creatures Isle. Overall its a wonderful game that I recommend it for all. Good for ages young to immortal.
  8. AlexE.
    Oct 14, 2001
    Best game ever but extremely demanding requirements.
  9. AlexE.
    Oct 14, 2001
    Best game ever but extremely demanding requirements.
  10. RichardH.
    Jun 10, 2002
    I think this is a great game. I only find a single problem, the saving system. I often find erased saves (??) as well as other flaws with the autosave.
  11. TheWatcher
    Feb 23, 2003
    This game is amazing. It is so realistic everything from trees that grow to cows that breed. If you love games than this one is for you! The game is very easy to learn so don't listen to those idiots at Computer Games Magazine or Gaming Age. Not only that its awesome for single player experiences! If possible I would give it a 110 out of 10! Try It!!!
  12. JacobW.
    Jul 23, 2003
    This game rocks. The things this game lets you do is just unbelievable. I trust my little people about as far as I can throw them, and thats pretty far. Autosave kicks in to many times. But thats ok.
  13. TomW.
    Mar 8, 2008
    Imaginative and fun. Lionhead takes god games another step forward.
  14. BenF
    Nov 29, 2009
    The only reason, in my book, this didn't score a perfect ten is the annoyance of excessive micromanagement. The game itself is a complete marvel, an innovative game that breaks the boundaries of what many games today still struggle and hide behind. However, the micromanagement becomes too much of a thorn in your side unless you get yourself together within around 10 minutes. Case in The only reason, in my book, this didn't score a perfect ten is the annoyance of excessive micromanagement. The game itself is a complete marvel, an innovative game that breaks the boundaries of what many games today still struggle and hide behind. However, the micromanagement becomes too much of a thorn in your side unless you get yourself together within around 10 minutes. Case in point: I am currently on a level where i must capture and maintain the faith of 3 villages. Not only am I under threat from the opposing god, i also have to fill granaries and silos, build homes, MANUALLY set individuals to SPECIFIC jobs, and many other fiddly tasks. If you leave your plebites to try and control themselves, the game becomes a nightmare. This aside, this game is an absolutely addicting masterpiece with innovation by the bucketloads. A MUST play. Expand
  15. DeAnna
    Jan 4, 2003
    This is game blew me away I played every night and day after school! It's fun and addictive! For all the old people out there who don't know how to open word won't like it very much, but if you can open a program you will open this one and find yourself sucked in!
  16. KeenanH
    Jun 6, 2008
    Black & White is a good game,but it needed a little more work.It has a few flaws.A few are:not enough informational feedback,too short,too easy,a few bugs,and all the villagers do is need food,need wood,need kids,and need homes constantly.Patch 1.1 helps a lot with the bugs,but not much else.There are only five easy levels,a few simple skirmishes,and multiplayer.I gave it a 9 because it Black & White is a good game,but it needed a little more work.It has a few flaws.A few are:not enough informational feedback,too short,too easy,a few bugs,and all the villagers do is need food,need wood,need kids,and need homes constantly.Patch 1.1 helps a lot with the bugs,but not much else.There are only five easy levels,a few simple skirmishes,and multiplayer.I gave it a 9 because it is a great game,the flaws can be overlooked easily if you like the good parts of the game,such as:great story,easy controls,living in Eden,being a god,and having vast amounts of freedom to do what You want.Good,Evil,it doesn't matter,You are a GOD! Expand
  17. BenH
    May 6, 2009
    Possibly the most innovative game I have ever played. It had flaws, but those were very well balanced and circumvented by the game's lack of a HUD and blissfully well-done controls. Best game that Lionhead has ever done.
  18. DanS.
    May 29, 2001
    I am pure jealous of my friend owning this game, this is a sweet cream pie on a hot summer's day.
  19. AndyC.
    Jul 28, 2001
    Everything is fine, except the fact that being evil is more easy than good.
  20. Diane
    Aug 21, 2002
    Absolutley addicted to this game. The only other game I play so much is Half Life's multiplayer TFC. I can spend days playing this game!! Only 1 problem....it tends to freeze up and crash occasionally (it seems like this happens when I want to quick save...LOL!!)
  21. Dec 10, 2015
    It's a highly innovative God-style management game where you help a small tribe to build and expand a village. The more villagers pray to you, the greater your circle of influence on the map becomes. Your goal is to capture the whole map and defeat rival gods. You also control a creature which you teach with rewards and punishments. Astonishingly, the creature's AI is designed with so muchIt's a highly innovative God-style management game where you help a small tribe to build and expand a village. The more villagers pray to you, the greater your circle of influence on the map becomes. Your goal is to capture the whole map and defeat rival gods. You also control a creature which you teach with rewards and punishments. Astonishingly, the creature's AI is designed with so much plasticity that, with some patience, you can teach it to do very complex things like creating forests, fetching stuff and generally helping villagers a lot and taking most of micromanagement away from you. Villagers tend to become lazy if you just give them food and wood, so it's better to create forests and rains instead, letting the villagers produce food and wood themselves. With some training, your creature would even do all the forests/rain spells.

You can also choose to be an evil god, torture villages and let your creature eat them. The creature can fight with creatures of rival gods. There are quests scattered over the world, with the most famous one being where you bring grain and a pig to sailors (I still remember their song: "We're not complaining but there is one more thing remaining: We're not going nowhere 'ntil we get some meat.. ").

The graphics are great for the time and still look good, and you can fully zoom out to see the whole map on the screen. You have 2 advisers (one good and one evil) who are funny and have a lot of character, especially the evil one. The game has an innovative system of casting spells (by drawing signs on the screen) which unfortunately doesn't work well - but you can also just use hotkeys for spells as well.

The only real downside (and that's why 9/10 and not 10/10) is that the game somehow lacks purpose. The campaign offers a handful of words to conquer and after that you don't know what to do else. Even being evil for a while gets boring fast. This game came years before Minecraft, which made this style of game ("do whatever you want") more common and accepted.

1. It's the sort of game that comes around once every few years and totally changes the gaming landscape.
  2. After about 15-25 hours (Depending on the gamer) the game just seems to lose it’s fun factor. Sadly, many games released nowadays don’t even have 15 hours gameplay in them, let alone 15 hours of damn fun gameplay; Black and White does indeed have this.
    Black & White miraculously pulls you in and doesn't let go until you've sacrificed many hours.