7.2

1. Jan 30, 2014
    Really good turn based fantasy rpg. I liked it a lot. I don't understand why some critics complain about the story or game mechanics. I think it's not a easy game but after few restarts i played it through in 60 hours of solid entertainment.
  2. Mar 10, 2014
    If you enjoy turn-based RPGs, this game is pure gold. I haven't enjoyed a game this much in a long time.

The fights are fun, occasionally challenging and occasionally brutally difficult (if you attempt them too early). The story is interesting an plays out well (so far!). Love this game!
  3. Apr 22, 2014
    Extremely addictive and fun to play. In addition to that, the combination of western RPG and turn-based battles (featuring a party of heroes as opposed to one hero and an army) is quite unique. I wish there were more games like that!

It does have a few bugs, but they are minor and no showstoppers at all.
  4. Dec 18, 2014
    It is one of this games, where it might take a while to get into it, but then you get hooked up!
    Watched the hubby play it and liked the mood. Thought, okay, as him I love roleplaying games especially with the Dark Eye's rules and it does not look too difficult to beat the strategic tasks.
    Actually, it was kind of difficult. I have to admit that I am someone who is more frustrated by crashes and so on (and this game definitely runs smooth and stable) than by having to try tricky situations again and again. I like the chalanges coming from things like that. Okay, the to-hit-chance IS frustrating, but on the other side after a while you get used to it.
    I totally love the graphics style, the story and the good kind of humor.
    This game might not be the first choice for someone who wants to hurry through the tasks and such, but for someone living an adventure it's perfect!
  5. Feb 12, 2014
    1st of all Blackguards is part of Dark Eye series which is appealing only to D&D fans, and combat system is based on tabletop games which makes it a bit harder to understand if you never played any tabletop,drakensang or neverwinter. Storyline of the game is superb mostly coz you are not some hero who set off a farm to save the world, you just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong1st of all Blackguards is part of Dark Eye series which is appealing only to D&D fans, and combat system is based on tabletop games which makes it a bit harder to understand if you never played any tabletop,drakensang or neverwinter. Storyline of the game is superb mostly coz you are not some hero who set off a farm to save the world, you just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, Gameplay itself is good if you are fan of turn based games, and if you are not, you should not even consider playing it unless you are rly into Dark Eye. Graphics are average but still had 5x more fun playing this then for example Banner Saga, I am fan of Vikings but I rly must ask myself a question why there were close to non viking games b4 2011.

If you are fan of D&D, Dark eye, tabletops and turn based games you should play this, if you are not, you just wont understand it.
  6. May 3, 2014
    Great Strategy RPG...I wish they would make more games like this.
    The story is dark, brooding, and enjoyable.
    The character customization is amazing and truly in-depth.

this turn-based RPG is truly a great experience for anyone who loved the old school greats like shining force, tactics ogre, ect. It's a shame developers don't make games like this very often anymore.
  7. Dec 18, 2014
    If you are a friend of AAA turn based tactial games like XCOM or Final Fantasy Tactics, this is a game just made for you! Daedalic Entertainment made a real good job on this one. The Story, settled in "The Dark Eyey" Universe is immersive, the graphics are real nice, the tactical approach is kinda advanced and pretty tricky from time to time and even the voice actors made a great job! TwoIf you are a friend of AAA turn based tactial games like XCOM or Final Fantasy Tactics, this is a game just made for you! Daedalic Entertainment made a real good job on this one. The Story, settled in "The Dark Eyey" Universe is immersive, the graphics are real nice, the tactical approach is kinda advanced and pretty tricky from time to time and even the voice actors made a great job! Two thumbs up! Expand
  8. Jul 10, 2014
    This is my game of the year. I love the story, the subtle humor, the characters but definitely most of all: The level design. The vast majority of the levels are based on an important puzzle. If you try to brute-force yourself through the level - the game will be really difficult. If you understand how to use the environment to your advantage - the game is challenging but doable.

The

The level design makes the game quite hard (That's why there are so many frustrated negative reviews) but also very rewarding, fun and non-repetitive. Personally I have never seen this good level design in any TBS game. I simply LOVE it.

The only things that I don't like is the voice acting for some very specific NPCs which is kind of a bummer because all main characters are really great, and the game is very linear. There are also some graphical issues on my graphical card (HD Graphics 4600) that makes it hard to see your inventory.
  9. Dec 19, 2014
    I liked Blackguards. It was a long time ago that I played a turn-based. It felt like a little bit back in time but with better graphics :-). I heard that there will be a second part sometimes in 2015. I think I'll have a look into that game, too.
  10. Apr 19, 2014
    First I would like to say I consider myself quite a veteran of RPG and strategic games. All reviews here miss a description and presentation of the game for experts in search of their next game and have never heard of this title before.
    There are two thing to consider before. The first is that the game's settings are those of the Dark Eye, the most successful pen&paper RPG in German speaking countries. It's a really interesting world with a set rules at first quite complex but that make sense after playing a while. And yes, this means that if you don't know how to spend your AP (Adventure points, like experience points to be used to increase attributes, talents, spells and weapons proficiencies) you will just see a sequence of Miss or Spell failed. Another important point is that every talent / spell uses three attributes (like strength, dexterity, intelligence, etc.) for their base value. So you can try to max a talent as much as you want, but if your strength is low you will simply not do so much damage, if not miss at all, with that big two handed mace.
    Second thing to consider is that the game is developed by Daedalic Entertainment, a software company more famous for their graphic adventure games.
    So back to this game. This is a strategic game with major attention on the fight component. It's possible to interact with the environment and the scope of the battle is not always to kill everything that breathes. Sometimes you can distract a troll while collecting mushrooms with the other team-mates or, like in the tutorial, block the guards with a magic wall and open the gates of all prisoners to send them against the guards.
    Yes the game evolves as a sequence of battles with beautiful interactive screens of cities where to restore your party, upgrade your gear or search for new quests. Is that bad? Well, big games like Vagrant Hearts or Final Fantasy Tactics, to cite a couple, used the same concept and I believe sometimes it's great. Quicker game, more focus on battles. And most important: no time lost to track back from the end of a dungeon to its entrance.
    The plot so far it's interesting, there are several side-quests, but even looking at spoilers they don't seem to have a great impact on the story if not for the extra loot. I didn't encounter any annoying bug so far (just finished the first chapter).
    In few words, if you are a fun of strategic games with customizable characters, NPCs with a background and personality and you loved games like Final Fantasy Tactics, there's a big chance you will like this game too. If you don't know the Dark Eye settings, have a look at it first. Drakensang, another RPG set in the same world, has a lot of guides and materials in Internet that will explain how the pen&paper game works, the rules are really similar (I didn't find too much material on the original rules, but I blame my no knowledge of German).
  11. Dec 16, 2014
    What a positive surprise this game is. A good mixture of turn based gameplay, roleplay elements and strategy. Not easy and you have to choose your skills wisely but that's challenging. Different options to win a fight is a lot of fun and a reason to play the game more than once.
    I have to admit that they should defenitely work on the to hit chances this can be sometimes frustrating but if you have learned mastering the game you can also handle this in the most fights.
    Looking very forward to Blackguards II.
  12. Jan 31, 2014
    another underestimated game. if you can spare the poor graphics, but are fond of turn based strategy with rpg, you might like this one. the story is interesting, with some twists - typical for the studio which is normally focused on creating some of the funniest adventures out there )deponia trilogy! yeah!) ..
  13. Jan 23, 2014
    This game I've enjoyed since it went early access on Steam... the plot is good and has some unexpected twists. The game play is detailed and battlefields typically have features that can be turned to your advantage. The leveling process is detailed, but you have to plan your advancement carefully or it will be filled with regret. Quite a few skills are relatively useless, I suggestThis game I've enjoyed since it went early access on Steam... the plot is good and has some unexpected twists. The game play is detailed and battlefields typically have features that can be turned to your advantage. The leveling process is detailed, but you have to plan your advancement carefully or it will be filled with regret. Quite a few skills are relatively useless, I suggest saving up some experience, save your progress, then test out the part you want to try.

Overall it is a good hex based game, with many good features if you like turn based strategy in a fantasy setting (like Final Fantasy Tactics) then you will enjoy this game!

Be warned without a varying story re-playability is limited.
  14. Jan 23, 2014
    Blackguards is a turn-based fantasy, often dark and frequently humorous, RPG.

Blackguards is a turn-based fantasy, often dark and frequently humorous, RPG.

While still a beta product it is polished and one of the best RPG's I have played in a while. It is a good feeling to catch myself laughing at the well voice acted humorous dialogue, which I haven't experienced to this degree since way back in games such as KOTOR and Jade Empire. Daedalic Entertainment might just be the new old pre-EA BioWare we all fondly remember.

Probably the only frustrating thing I experienced was the questionable stated odds of a spell succeeding, but I am also not sure if that percentage was meant to take into account the defender's resistances.

I give it a 9 because it is hard to me to envision a better RPG without my mind drifting back to old BioWare. So this is a real user score, not an artificially inflated rating meant to preemptively fend off the incoming 0's from reviewers that found fault in this product.

I eagerly await the Chapter 5 release...
  15. Jan 28, 2014
    Blackgaurds is one of the most addicting games I have played and has been a great game to start out 2014 for me. This game has some of the best voice acting and music I've heard and its gameplay feels like it actually melds with the story. Quite a few times you'll be presented with interesting alternatives in combat most wouldn’t think of in a turn based RPG. You could go the classic routeBlackgaurds is one of the most addicting games I have played and has been a great game to start out 2014 for me. This game has some of the best voice acting and music I've heard and its gameplay feels like it actually melds with the story. Quite a few times you'll be presented with interesting alternatives in combat most wouldn’t think of in a turn based RPG. You could go the classic route and just beat the baddies in a one on one fight, or if you’re feeling creative lure them into hazards that you normally wouldn't think of. For instance lure them into a bush then set it on fire or release a group of prisoners to fight for you. Even some battles have great story elements. Need to collect some mushrooms while a giant troll is guarding them. Distract the troll and gather the mushrooms, then run. It’s these types of options that make you feel like you’re having an impact and cause you to think outside the box. The few problems I do have with the game mostly revolve around a few graphical glitches and sometimes the enemy AI can be a little too slow. Graphical glitches like people suddenly having mouths that stretch way too far when they speak or the amount of a silver currency you earned being blocked has happened to me. While the biggest flaw is probably the AI, I like how you can set traps for them but when an enemy chooses to continually get burned in a bush and not leave it that’s when I call stupid on the AI. These bugs can be annoying but they don't break the game and I recommend this game to any RPG or Turn-Based Strategy fan. Expand
  16. Jan 26, 2014
    ~40 hours of gameplay, hand-made encounters, decent roleplay system, nice graphics, decent voice acting, memorable characters, the story is messy though. There were no such RPGs for years. Don't miss!
  17. Jan 27, 2014
    A welcome return to true turn based RPG combat that pushes you to carefully consider every skill point you spend and every move you make. Blackguards presents a good level of difficulty without going over the edge or resorting to obvious AI cheats in place of strategy. There is no "press the awesome button" to win. Battles are rarely won easy which makes clever or squeaked out victoriesA welcome return to true turn based RPG combat that pushes you to carefully consider every skill point you spend and every move you make. Blackguards presents a good level of difficulty without going over the edge or resorting to obvious AI cheats in place of strategy. There is no "press the awesome button" to win. Battles are rarely won easy which makes clever or squeaked out victories quite satisfying. As with any turn based dice roll fighting system luck can play a role in the outcome which can frustrate gamers not used to turn based combat. The game does throw you a bone in that you can save anytime between battles and should things go completely wrong you can restart a battle at anytime. The overall story, writing, and characters are the pretty typical RPG fare...nothing exceptional but more than enough depth to avoid being bland. Combat is where Blackguards shines and is a game for those who enjoy the battles more than the story behind them. Expand
  18. Feb 3, 2014
    Fun turn based tactical RPG. While the array of abilities available to your heroes is not as big as in some other games, what makes this game unique is that each fight is different. It's hex tiles, but the shape, arrangement, interactive items and enemies are all different. I can't recall repetitive grinding of the same enemies. A couple maps and you are fighting something else.

The

The character system is good, I like multiple stats, derived attributes and the ability to shift your weapon skill between attack and defense. What I don't like is that trainers, especially magic trainers are few and far between, and are frequently not accessible if you have advanced the story. This means that if you don't have 500AP saved for your magic characters, chances are you will never learn some of the cooler abilities, like magic regeneration.

The equipment system is cool, but is somewhat confusing - too many different kinds of resistances, and it's kinda hard to see which item is better. The store inventory is also really limited. While I see some NPCs wear some really cool stuff, I haven't found anything better than leather exploring past the arena fight.

Overall, a good game.
  19. Jan 26, 2014
    Just finished the game and I really enjoyed it. The story is good, the skill system is fun (the person who said there were only a few useful skills clearly does not understand how useful some of the skills are), the battles are pretty varied and frantic with unique interactive maps (outside of the couple stealth ones which quite frankly sucked). The side quests tend to be quite fun asJust finished the game and I really enjoyed it. The story is good, the skill system is fun (the person who said there were only a few useful skills clearly does not understand how useful some of the skills are), the battles are pretty varied and frantic with unique interactive maps (outside of the couple stealth ones which quite frankly sucked). The side quests tend to be quite fun as well. My only gripe (outside of the stealth maps) would be that there was no way to reset skill points spent. It would have been nice to have that feature. Expand
  20. Jan 23, 2014
    I've been playing the game from it's early access beginning, and I have logged more hours in it than I care to say. The graphics are well done, the voice acting is excellent, and assuming you like turn based combat you will be in heaven. There is a demo for those who need to try it first. I haven't had this much fun playing a game in quite a while.
  21. Jan 23, 2014
    awesome game. it has hex combat, tactical decisions, good story, lots of choices and fun groups with comments and influence. what more would one want really? probably not for everyone, but people who loved this kind of game will love this one too.
  22. Jan 26, 2014
    A really good turn based RPG at its core, the skills system is complex and the story is actually interesting. Graphics and physics feel a little dated though. I feel the battles are actually challenging and make you try different strategies. Overall totally worth it, if it had a bit more polish could have been a solid 10.
  23. Mar 7, 2014
    Truly amazing piece of TBS. Nothing like I ever seen before and therefore took me some time to get used to it but once I do... I pumped in more than 100 hours. This game shines in the way it allows you to use the environment to defeat the enemies in ways you have never seen in other TBS games. It is very battle focused, essentially tons of battles strung together on a fairly weak storyTruly amazing piece of TBS. Nothing like I ever seen before and therefore took me some time to get used to it but once I do... I pumped in more than 100 hours. This game shines in the way it allows you to use the environment to defeat the enemies in ways you have never seen in other TBS games. It is very battle focused, essentially tons of battles strung together on a fairly weak story with no exploration (which was initially a bad thing but like all RPGs, exploration becomes a chore when you just wish to go from shop to shop quickly... this game just do that right from the start with no time wasting animation). The only real flaw is its lack of equipment for the magic using class or magic users in general leading to gross dissatisfaction being magic users. The game is also too melee oriented with magic using a clear cut second class. Expand
  24. Jan 24, 2014
    Daedcalic is well knwon for his point and click adventure, this is their frist rpg following the dark eye rules, Its linear, documentation is obscure, but damnit its one of the best turn based rpg i played since ages. No filler fights, only hand made tactical fights, a good story with a setting a bit more mature than usual.

Its really impressive, highly advised for odlschool rpg fans.
  25. Jan 24, 2014
    Best turn based combat game since The Temple of Elemental Evil. Story is really cool, map is beautiful, every combat map is great, and you can win in 1000 ways, its up to you. Right now im finishing chapter 2. Brilliant game!
  26. Fuz
    Feb 8, 2014
    Would have been an amazing game, but suffers from the random chance combat and insane number (and duration) of loading screens, which make extremely painful to go from a place to another (for instance when you need to train your character or need an healer).
    There are lots of good things in this game: I liked the combat, the use of objects on maps which added to variety, the character development is interesting, the setting is nice, the town screens are great and I really, really LOVE the world map, it's really stilish and beautiful.
    A few more things that bothered me:
    The camera is fixed and can't be rotated sideways, only moved into a top-down view, so the map and unit positions are often confusing and difficult to read. Also you can't redefine your keys from the game (you can do it editing a text file under the savegame folder). Those are two major annoyances and, especially the keybinding issue, should not be present in a 2014 game.
    Now, about the RNG.
    It's not fun to miss an attack (or even healing spells) with a 85% chance for 3, 4 times in a row, leaving you to restart a battle in frustration many, many times. It is not acceptable to leave the combat resolution almost all to an RNG system and not to the players strategic skills.
    And it's a shame, because without the RNG, the combat would have been excellent. There is also a good use of maps and items on them that could have led to interesting strategic choices. Character development and itemization are interesting too.
    But the RNG and the incredibly annoying loading screens ruin most of the fun.
    Still pretty great.
  27. Jan 23, 2014
    DSA ist zurück! Alte Spielmechaniken gemischt in neuem Gewand! Eine Vielzahl an rundenbasierenden, taktisch-anspruchsvollen Kämpfen mit Einsatz der Umgebung. Gut umgesetztes DSA-Regelwerk mit vielen Steigerungsmöglichkeiten der Charaktere. Geschichte wird von guten Sprechern in lustigen bis derben Gesprächen und Kommentaren vorgetragen. Klasse Leistung von Daedalic! Wenn man den PreisDSA ist zurück! Alte Spielmechaniken gemischt in neuem Gewand! Eine Vielzahl an rundenbasierenden, taktisch-anspruchsvollen Kämpfen mit Einsatz der Umgebung. Gut umgesetztes DSA-Regelwerk mit vielen Steigerungsmöglichkeiten der Charaktere. Geschichte wird von guten Sprechern in lustigen bis derben Gesprächen und Kommentaren vorgetragen. Klasse Leistung von Daedalic! Wenn man den Preis miteinrechnet.... 9 Punkte! Expand
  28. Jan 26, 2014
    This Game is Perfect. Classic Turn-Based, a lot of Skills. Could quite Hard in the first Playtime. It has a great Character Progress if you spend some Time to understand the Game!
  29. Jan 28, 2014
    Blackguards is one of those games that made me happy, does it do anything particularly innovative? No. Is it gorgeous graphically? Nothing to write home about. But it is exactly what it should be; a game taking the Dark Eye rules to the PC with a good story and solid turn-based gameplay. For once I am not disappointed in any way. It's simply what it says it is and does the tabletop rpgBlackguards is one of those games that made me happy, does it do anything particularly innovative? No. Is it gorgeous graphically? Nothing to write home about. But it is exactly what it should be; a game taking the Dark Eye rules to the PC with a good story and solid turn-based gameplay. For once I am not disappointed in any way. It's simply what it says it is and does the tabletop rpg simulation thing well. Loads of fun, a good challenge even for those of us who love complex, turn-based gameplay and Blackguards' mechanics do the Dark Eye Roleplaying Game due justice. I hope you enjoy this game as much as I am! Expand
  30. Jan 29, 2014
    Not a bad game. Fun character dialogues and at least there is a story to be told. Character progression is quite complex. Battles are a bit repetitive, but still there is tactical depth to some degree. Good RPG to pass the time.
  31. Apr 14, 2014
    Pretty fun game so far - really enjoying it. If you are a fan of turn based strategy rpgs, this is a good one to pick up. I'm waiting eagerly for the wii u to come out with the next fire emblem - until then - this is a nice appetizer!
  32. Jun 8, 2014
    Since I'm a huge fan of turn based strategies like this, I'm giving it an eight. There aren't many games of this genre on PC, or anywhere.
    I really liked the darky atmosphere of the game, as well as its soundtrack.
    Some battles were really tricky and hard to win, and even if the game consists of battle after battle, it was never boring. If the character development system wasn't so
    I really liked the darky atmosphere of the game, as well as its soundtrack.
    If the character development system wasn't so complex and consisted of many meaningless skills, I'd give it a nine without second thought.
    I'd recommend this game to all Final fantasy tactics fans because since that time no game was even close to it.
  33. Dec 21, 2014
    I followed up this game since his early access. I like the comeback of the hexagon fields with his depths to strategic and tactical decisions. The overall story arc is interesting and keep me going forward. There are some glitches with the battlesystem where you have to depend on some luck (dice roller in the background). I would recommend this game to everyone who is interested in aI followed up this game since his early access. I like the comeback of the hexagon fields with his depths to strategic and tactical decisions. The overall story arc is interesting and keep me going forward. There are some glitches with the battlesystem where you have to depend on some luck (dice roller in the background). I would recommend this game to everyone who is interested in a tactical and strategic RPG like game (X-COM, Jagged Alliance, etc.). Cannot wait for the Blackguards 2. :-) Expand

1. May 11, 2014
    Blackguards was a nice surprise: gaming system is solid and interesting, and the puzzle-like battles hold interest until the end. At times they are even challenging. Although patches might have changed that. [Feb 2014]
  2. Apr 13, 2014
    Daedalic's first time in the world of RPG is one of those to remember. Blackguards is not a flawless game: it has a slow gameplay that after hours and hours can be boring, technically it is not that great and has an annoying problem of balancing the difficulty. Yet it remains a great role-playing game.
    Some drawbacks and glitches aside, this is hardcore fun for the turn-based enthusiast. The not so enthusiastic player needs to brace himself for a steep difficulty curve. [Issue #239]