7.2

1. Jan 23, 2014
    Blackguards is a turn-based fantasy, often dark and frequently humorous, RPG.

While still a beta product it is polished and one of the best RPG's I have played in a while. It is a good feeling to catch myself laughing at the well voice acted humorous dialogue, which I haven't experienced to this degree since way back in games such as KOTOR and Jade Empire. Daedalic Entertainment might
    just be the new old pre-EA BioWare we all fondly remember.

Probably the only frustrating thing I experienced was the questionable stated odds of a spell succeeding, but I am also not sure if that percentage was meant to take into account the defender's resistances.

I give it a 9 because it is hard to me to envision a better RPG without my mind drifting back to old BioWare. So this is a real user score, not an artificially inflated rating meant to preemptively fend off the incoming 0's from reviewers that found fault in this product.

I eagerly await the Chapter 5 release...
  2. Jan 23, 2014
    I've been playing the game from it's early access beginning, and I have logged more hours in it than I care to say. The graphics are well done, the voice acting is excellent, and assuming you like turn based combat you will be in heaven. There is a demo for those who need to try it first. I haven't had this much fun playing a game in quite a while.
  3. Jan 26, 2014
    Just finished the game and I really enjoyed it. The story is good, the skill system is fun (the person who said there were only a few useful skills clearly does not understand how useful some of the skills are), the battles are pretty varied and frantic with unique interactive maps (outside of the couple stealth ones which quite frankly sucked). The side quests tend to be quite fun as well. My only gripe (outside of the stealth maps) would be that there was no way to reset skill points spent. It would have been nice to have that feature. Expand
  4. Jan 23, 2014
    awesome game. it has hex combat, tactical decisions, good story, lots of choices and fun groups with comments and influence. what more would one want really? probably not for everyone, but people who loved this kind of game will love this one too.
  5. Jan 26, 2014
    A really good turn based RPG at its core, the skills system is complex and the story is actually interesting. Graphics and physics feel a little dated though. I feel the battles are actually challenging and make you try different strategies. Overall totally worth it, if it had a bit more polish could have been a solid 10.
  6. Jan 24, 2014
    Daedcalic is well knwon for his point and click adventure, this is their frist rpg following the dark eye rules, Its linear, documentation is obscure, but damnit its one of the best turn based rpg i played since ages. No filler fights, only hand made tactical fights, a good story with a setting a bit more mature than usual.

Its really impressive, highly advised for odlschool rpg fans.
  7. Jan 24, 2014
    Best turn based combat game since The Temple of Elemental Evil. Story is really cool, map is beautiful, every combat map is great, and you can win in 1000 ways, its up to you. Right now im finishing chapter 2. Brilliant game!
  8. Jan 26, 2014
    This Game is Perfect. Classic Turn-Based, a lot of Skills. Could quite Hard in the first Playtime. It has a great Character Progress if you spend some Time to understand the Game!
  9. Jan 31, 2014
    another underestimated game. if you can spare the poor graphics, but are fond of turn based strategy with rpg, you might like this one. the story is interesting, with some twists - typical for the studio which is normally focused on creating some of the funniest adventures out there )deponia trilogy! yeah!) ..
  10. Jan 23, 2014
    DSA ist zurück! Alte Spielmechaniken gemischt in neuem Gewand! Eine Vielzahl an rundenbasierenden, taktisch-anspruchsvollen Kämpfen mit Einsatz der Umgebung. Gut umgesetztes DSA-Regelwerk mit vielen Steigerungsmöglichkeiten der Charaktere. Geschichte wird von guten Sprechern in lustigen bis derben Gesprächen und Kommentaren vorgetragen. Klasse Leistung von Daedalic! Wenn man den Preis miteinrechnet.... 9 Punkte! Expand
  11. Mar 10, 2014
    If you enjoy turn-based RPGs, this game is pure gold. I haven't enjoyed a game this much in a long time.

The fights are fun, occasionally challenging and occasionally brutally difficult (if you attempt them too early). The story is interesting an plays out well (so far!). Love this game!
  12. Jan 26, 2014
    ~40 hours of gameplay, hand-made encounters, decent roleplay system, nice graphics, decent voice acting, memorable characters, the story is messy though. There were no such RPGs for years. Don't miss!
  13. Jan 28, 2014
    Blackguards is one of those games that made me happy, does it do anything particularly innovative? No. Is it gorgeous graphically? Nothing to write home about. But it is exactly what it should be; a game taking the Dark Eye rules to the PC with a good story and solid turn-based gameplay. For once I am not disappointed in any way. It's simply what it says it is and does the tabletop rpg simulation thing well. Loads of fun, a good challenge even for those of us who love complex, turn-based gameplay and Blackguards' mechanics do the Dark Eye Roleplaying Game due justice. I hope you enjoy this game as much as I am! Expand
  14. Feb 12, 2014
    1st of all Blackguards is part of Dark Eye series which is appealing only to D&D fans, and combat system is based on tabletop games which makes it a bit harder to understand if you never played any tabletop,drakensang or neverwinter. Storyline of the game is superb mostly coz you are not some hero who set off a farm to save the world, you just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, Gameplay itself is good if you are fan of turn based games, and if you are not, you should not even consider playing it unless you are rly into Dark Eye. Graphics are average but still had 5x more fun playing this then for example Banner Saga, I am fan of Vikings but I rly must ask myself a question why there were close to non viking games b4 2011.

If you are fan of D&D, Dark eye, tabletops and turn based games you should play this, if you are not, you just wont understand it.
  15. Mar 7, 2014
    Truly amazing piece of TBS. Nothing like I ever seen before and therefore took me some time to get used to it but once I do... I pumped in more than 100 hours. This game shines in the way it allows you to use the environment to defeat the enemies in ways you have never seen in other TBS games. It is very battle focused, essentially tons of battles strung together on a fairly weak story with no exploration (which was initially a bad thing but like all RPGs, exploration becomes a chore when you just wish to go from shop to shop quickly... this game just do that right from the start with no time wasting animation). The only real flaw is its lack of equipment for the magic using class or magic users in general leading to gross dissatisfaction being magic users. The game is also too melee oriented with magic using a clear cut second class. Expand
  16. Jan 29, 2014
    Not a bad game. Fun character dialogues and at least there is a story to be told. Character progression is quite complex. Battles are a bit repetitive, but still there is tactical depth to some degree. Good RPG to pass the time.
  17. Apr 22, 2014
    Extremely addictive and fun to play. In addition to that, the combination of western RPG and turn-based battles (featuring a party of heroes as opposed to one hero and an army) is quite unique. I wish there were more games like that!

It does have a few bugs, but they are minor and no showstoppers at all.
  18. May 3, 2014
    Great Strategy RPG...I wish they would make more games like this.
    The story is dark, brooding, and enjoyable.
    The character customization is amazing and truly in-depth.

this turn-based RPG is truly a great experience for anyone who loved the old school greats like shining force, tactics ogre, ect. It's a shame developers don't make games like this very often anymore.
  19. Jul 10, 2014
    This is my game of the year. I love the story, the subtle humor, the characters but definitely most of all: The level design. The vast majority of the levels are based on an important puzzle. If you try to brute-force yourself through the level - the game will be really difficult. If you understand how to use the environment to your advantage - the game is challenging but doable.

The
    level design makes the game quite hard (That's why there are so many frustrated negative reviews) but also very rewarding, fun and non-repetitive. Personally I have never seen this good level design in any TBS game. I simply LOVE it.

The only things that I don't like is the voice acting for some very specific NPCs which is kind of a bummer because all main characters are really great, and the game is very linear. There are also some graphical issues on my graphical card (HD Graphics 4600) that makes it hard to see your inventory.

1. May 11, 2014
    Blackguards was a nice surprise: gaming system is solid and interesting, and the puzzle-like battles hold interest until the end. At times they are even challenging. Although patches might have changed that. [Feb 2014]
  2. Apr 13, 2014
    Daedalic's first time in the world of RPG is one of those to remember. Blackguards is not a flawless game: it has a slow gameplay that after hours and hours can be boring, technically it is not that great and has an annoying problem of balancing the difficulty. Yet it remains a great role-playing game.
    Some drawbacks and glitches aside, this is hardcore fun for the turn-based enthusiast. The not so enthusiastic player needs to brace himself for a steep difficulty curve. [Issue #239]