7.5

1. DME
    Jan 6, 2013
    Retribution is by no means revolutionary, but rather a solid competitive shooter, completely balanced and free to play. People crying "pay to win!" have no idea what they're talking about. The game is fast-paced, polished, and fun to play. However, Blacklight does suffer from one major problem. Patches to the game are ridiculously huge and take upwards of 10 hours to download. WorseRetribution is by no means revolutionary, but rather a solid competitive shooter, completely balanced and free to play. People crying "pay to win!" have no idea what they're talking about. The game is fast-paced, polished, and fun to play. However, Blacklight does suffer from one major problem. Patches to the game are ridiculously huge and take upwards of 10 hours to download. Worse yet, you can't pause the update in the middle of the process. Expand
  2. Oct 3, 2012
    My first play experience with Blacklight was not great. I was left wondering is this pay to win or what ? I wont say I am a tournament winning Ace in the Shooter department but Im no slouch either, Im emptying clips into folks from the standard rifle using controled bursts and then getting seemingly 2-3 shotted by opponents who have upgraded weapons. When it shows the killcam I can seeMy first play experience with Blacklight was not great. I was left wondering is this pay to win or what ? I wont say I am a tournament winning Ace in the Shooter department but Im no slouch either, Im emptying clips into folks from the standard rifle using controled bursts and then getting seemingly 2-3 shotted by opponents who have upgraded weapons. When it shows the killcam I can see their health is almost gone & when im firing I see the redbox registering hits but so often this happens where they seem to pip me at the post. To win 1 on 1's i generally have to be behind someone on get a headshot in the opening exchange.

In any case upon further playing I retracted previous statements about being pay 2 win.

Apparently I was playing on the non level restricted servers, instead I should have stayed on the "Proving grounds" set of servers for players level 1-10. Having tried the level restricted servers I found it was actually pretty good fun, sure the odd person has slapped down RMT and bought something a little overwhelming but not many. The Default Assault Rifle Reciever with a couple of 3800GP (GP being Game Points earned ingame) modifications is actually really good and premade weapons of other types can be rented for as little as 200 GP a day (thats just a little less than 2 full matches worth of GP).

In any case Skill does come back into play and the Counterstrike Style per match unlocks are good fun, i particularly like the flamethrower & hardsuit which is kinda like the Mech in District 9.

I am out of the Proving Grounds now (locks you out at level 11) and have earned enough GP for a couple decent weapon upgrades for my A/R and managed to get some items from the free offers around the net. More than enough to hold my own against hgih levels in the open matches now. Worth a look if you can get it working, but it does have some technical issues. When you run the launcher and it starts to patch (particularly the very first time you run the patcher) just leave it running. The progress bar wont update until it gets to like 90%+ or if it does it will show like 3% then no movement till its finished, which is what it did to me. If it cant patch it actually returns an error fairly quickly, I left mine patching overnight when I first installed.
  3. Aug 15, 2012
    This game is a joke riddled with glitches and bugs. Every time they patch the game, they introduce a plethora of new glitches while dubiously fixing old bugs. Avoid this junk.
  4. Aug 18, 2012
    Riddled with bugs and glitches. Every time they update the game, they add more bugs. Not worth anyone's time to play this waste of space. Uninstalled.
  5. Jul 11, 2012
    Its not that its a bad game its that it has a more-or-less lack of content, very few weapons are worth getting, one or two are overpowered, as is typically the case with free to play shooters. The lack of maps/game modes/weapon variations that are viable means the game gets boring quickly. The flamethrower can somehow burn through a completely sealed armored suit and allow another playerIts not that its a bad game its that it has a more-or-less lack of content, very few weapons are worth getting, one or two are overpowered, as is typically the case with free to play shooters. The lack of maps/game modes/weapon variations that are viable means the game gets boring quickly. The flamethrower can somehow burn through a completely sealed armored suit and allow another player to take control of it, from the enemy team, not sure how this makes any form of sense, what-so-ever.

The SMG is the only weapon to ever use, any other weapon just fails in comparison. I did the closed beta for this game and continue to play today, its not bad, like I said, but it is discredited for the reasons above. On top of this the games new content comes at a very slow pace. There is also a lack of permanently purchasing weapons for in game currency.

One pet peeve I have with free to play shooters is that they are hosted in america or canada, typically, for NA servers and they are overrun with players who speak Portuguese and Spanish, thus killing the teamplay elements, I did knock off one point for this, lack of teamplay, issue the developers caused by not segregating the players from south/central america from the USA/Canada servers. Yes I realize it costs money but you are a massive corporation with a lot of money and since perfect world entertainment owns the game there is no excuse for this since they are a multi-million dollar company.

===========
    Side Note
    ===========

This is a peeve of mine that did NOT go into rating the review...

It is overrun with people who cant aim and the devs do not want to segregate the playerbase from the "good players" to the "bad players" which is something that is killing the competitive portion of shooters.

To sum everything up it is a moderately entertaining shooter but does not deserve over 6 out of 10 due to obvious management, content, and balance issues in a game that really requires it. On another side note, the critic who rated it at a 90% and said its better than cod was right about it being better than cod, but was wrong to give it a 90%.
  6. Jul 30, 2012
    BLR is one of the best F2P FPS games out there. Unlike most others, the system is not broken with pay-to-win shceme. 1 match of GP will give you enough to rent a decked out gun for a day, so you can use high level guns to earn money to customize your own gun. The gunplay feels tight, and no weapons really feel overpowered than others (Unless you have a low recoil/low spread LMG setup).BLR is one of the best F2P FPS games out there. Unlike most others, the system is not broken with pay-to-win shceme. 1 match of GP will give you enough to rent a decked out gun for a day, so you can use high level guns to earn money to customize your own gun. The gunplay feels tight, and no weapons really feel overpowered than others (Unless you have a low recoil/low spread LMG setup). Speaking of gun setups, its amazing to see all that stats that you can modify by choosing different attachments. Almost anything you can think of relating to your weapons or armor can be customized to your exact play style.

And the reason why I'm liking this game so much - The maps feel well thought out with plenty of alternate paths. With the exception of HeloDeck, the maps have a great mixture of places to snipe and places to get into a total **** of a gunfight. For a F2P game, nobody could have asked for more.
  7. Jul 9, 2012
    All I can say is that this game wows me every time. I think the biggest thing it has going for it is that it's free to play and you really don't 'need' to pay for anything. I did pay for the starter pack since it was only ten bucks but ever since I haven't felt the need to pay for anything else. The game is astonishingly well made for a F2P game. No, not even just for a F2P. It's outrightAll I can say is that this game wows me every time. I think the biggest thing it has going for it is that it's free to play and you really don't 'need' to pay for anything. I did pay for the starter pack since it was only ten bucks but ever since I haven't felt the need to pay for anything else. The game is astonishingly well made for a F2P game. No, not even just for a F2P. It's outright an amazing game. The graphics are excellent, the soundtrack is sweet, the gameplay is fluid, the audio is crisp, the menus are well designed, and just about every round is intense. Anyone who believes this game is a pay to win game is just a sore loser. Shelling out cash only gives you fancy skins, silly emotes, XP boosts, and lets you hang on to some items permanently. None of these things give you an edge on the battlefield. It only grants you the ability to personlize your soldier freely. It's rare that I feel the need to get online and recommend a game but this one does it for me. I am honestly sick of the MW series and really no FPS games have impressed me in a long while. To have spent so much time away from the FPS genre and to finaly come across Blacklight Retribution (and its free!) has been a breath of fresh air. Bugs are minor and I have no issues with the servers. Expand
  8. May 25, 2012
    This game is TOTALLY worth the money... ok lame joke out of the way. It is really good. There are some great user reviews here so I am not going to really go all out, just want to say a few things: 1. Look and feel of the game are great. Great use of the Unreal Engine. 2. Customization is awesome and meaningful. Lots of it. Starts to feel like an MMO or RPG with how much customizationThis game is TOTALLY worth the money... ok lame joke out of the way. It is really good. There are some great user reviews here so I am not going to really go all out, just want to say a few things: 1. Look and feel of the game are great. Great use of the Unreal Engine. 2. Customization is awesome and meaningful. Lots of it. Starts to feel like an MMO or RPG with how much customization there is to character and weapon stats. 3. Free vs Pay player system is balanced very very well. My one complaint really: You are FORCED to buy more load-out slots. You can't use in game points to get more load out options. I think this is the only "chumpish" aspect of the pay system. Pretty upset about that feature. Solid game, and I recommend every fan of FPS at least give it a look. It can't hurt as it is free, might as well. Expand
  9. Apr 23, 2012
    This is a game i LOVE the most out of any FPS. You can see through walls by pressing Ë
  10. Mar 11, 2013
    This game has some good qualities...but a lot of bad ones at the same time. I'm not really good at shooters so I might be failing at pointing some things or be a little unfair due to my inexperience. However, as far as I can say, it's not a bad game: it plays for the most part as a sort of "call of duty" arena shooter in which you fight enemy teams (dont think there's a free for all, and IThis game has some good qualities...but a lot of bad ones at the same time. I'm not really good at shooters so I might be failing at pointing some things or be a little unfair due to my inexperience. However, as far as I can say, it's not a bad game: it plays for the most part as a sort of "call of duty" arena shooter in which you fight enemy teams (dont think there's a free for all, and I haven't found many other games other than Team Deathmatch), and it plays somehow like a Call of duty...but with better graphics. Actually, the controls also are rather weird: it plays like a fast pace arena shooter...but the aiming is slow and more than once I couldn't kill my enemies because I was slow during my aiming. In the end, I shot at point blank and made more progress. The HRV system, which is basically a legalized wallhack, while it may sound interesting it's...rather out of place, mainly because there's no satisfaction or "learning" while doing arenas: one of the best things in arena shooters was the ability of knowning your surroundings, as well as knowing where your enemies could be by predicting their movement. In here, with the HRV, nobody can hide and nobody can really predict anything, since they're going to be spotted. I have for last another flaw that it's 50% true and false: this game is a pay to win...but also not. It's possible to win games without buying guns or anything and if you try hard enough you can actually improve a lot... but the problem is that it will take you a lot of time to get your kills on your standard weapons simply because most of your enemies will have better guns that, literally, kills you in one hit, while you might take more than few shots (I shot my opponent, which was right in front of me, and took me half of my cartridge to take it down, while I saw enemy players one shotting me from afar...with assault rifles!). On the other hand, better weapons are easily bought and unlocked with money and that alone kills the purpose of "try to be good": just give them money, and victory is assured...and I mean a "LOT" of money. I know it's a f2p and I know they have to gain money somehow...but a single weapon can cost over 5 euros/dollars to unlock "permanently" (or over 5000 points, if you have the patience) and that alone it's very unfair...but expected. However, why should I buy weapons for 20 or more bucks when, for the same price and a little more, we can get better fps with everything "free"? The game gives you the possibility to try weapons with points for a varied amount of time...but I still don't see the point if you can easily buy a full retail game for the same price (not the newest, but there are cheap fps games that are worthy). All in all...it's a very decent game, but suffers from the "pay to win" formula and even if players will dedicate time in order to unlock their best weapons, money will grant easy mode by the very start. Not a terrible game, but not a great one either. Give it a try if you're curious. Expand
  11. Apr 4, 2013
    A great F2P game. Firstly, many people complain that it takes too long to earn GP to get new guns and equipment, but ignore the system enabling 1 day rental, 7 day rental, and permanent items. This can make people choose whether they want to invest into building up a permanent class, or buy their favourite items playing through a week during the holidays, or every so often for a day whenA great F2P game. Firstly, many people complain that it takes too long to earn GP to get new guns and equipment, but ignore the system enabling 1 day rental, 7 day rental, and permanent items. This can make people choose whether they want to invest into building up a permanent class, or buy their favourite items playing through a week during the holidays, or every so often for a day when you have the time. The ability to change the muzzle, barrel, stock, scope, and every piece of the gun you can think of makes you think about what you are going to get, and it rewards you for playing the game well by what you do in a game.I, myself, do not often play this game for days in a row, yet have many permanent items that I like to choose between when tweaking my guns, which often happens every time I play. Often, my friends would rent their favourite pre-made so that they can own with their style of play, and this is often a good way for some people to work for permanent items. Notice when I say favourite, since some people will play extremely well with their own SMG while another person wouldn't live without getting a sniper. The gameplay is great, and changing out only a couple of pieces of your gun can make you notice recoil differences, change in sound, range and spread, showing they really made the customization have depth, with so many different class arrangements you can find by picking up a friendly or enemy weapon drop, which can really help to pick up If you think you need to give the other team a taste of their own medicine. Some people do not want to spend time perfecting their weapon, so they can decide to buy non-customizable pre-mades to keep them happy. But what if you don't want to buy new armours and equipment either? You can get whole character packages that let you drop into play whenever you want, with tailored equipment and guns, with new characters popping out all the time. From snipers, to back-stabbers, to mech-xperts (funny, right?), to heavy gunners, to speed demons. Find the right thing for you and you can enjoy this game as much as you try to. Expand
  12. Jan 1, 2013
    Low skill ceiling and low skill floor. If they increased the time to kill and took away the built in wall hacks this game could easily be a 9/10 but instead it's just a f2p annoyance. Do yourself a favor and skip this. Play NS2 or Hawken instead. If you like COD maybe this game is for you otherwise just skip it.
  13. Jul 3, 2012
    For me few things make this game average:
    1. Everyone has ability to see through walls. That's a standard option, everybody has "googles" allowing to see other players (enemies and allies) through walls. That is sick, reducing usefulness of any tactical gameplay to zero.
    2. Dumb-looking, pseudo-modern design of many parts of equipment (especially player's models). 3. Barely moderate
    For me few things make this game average:
    3. Barely moderate satisfaction from the basic activity in the game: SHOOTING. Can't name this feeling, but shooting in CS or any Unreal is much more satisfying and in these games I feel I have MUCH more control over the actions of my character.

Nevertheless Blacklight: Retribution is not bad game, slightly above the average I would say. If you like network shooters - try it, all in all it's free.
  14. Jul 3, 2012
    The worst Free to Play game i ever played. Firstly you need to wait ~1 hour to join the main server. In this game you can see through the walls=wallhack. When i saw this i instantly deleted the game. Absolutely 0 score and the fps gamers no need wallhack any other fps games.
  15. Jul 6, 2012
    First of all, the actual shooting in Blacklight: Retribution is absolutely average. It's the same low-recoil, hit-scan style we're used to seeing in CoD and similar titles. This doesn't make it bad, but it's not all that great either. It's just average. And true, there is a device that could be called a "wallhack," in the form of the HRV. But since everyone has it, I really don't see whatFirst of all, the actual shooting in Blacklight: Retribution is absolutely average. It's the same low-recoil, hit-scan style we're used to seeing in CoD and similar titles. This doesn't make it bad, but it's not all that great either. It's just average. And true, there is a device that could be called a "wallhack," in the form of the HRV. But since everyone has it, I really don't see what the problem is. If anything, it's a positive addition because it makes camping impossible and eliminates the need to walk around the map aimlessly looking for an enemy.

The real meat of the game is in its customization system. This is the first FPS where you can actually build your guns from parts, to have a weapon tailored exactly to your play style. Despite the large number of parts, it seems they've actually got the balance right as well. There are still a few problems with certain parts, but the vast majority are almost perfect sidegrades.

The graphics are also pretty good. Nothing spectacular, but at least it's not another brown-and-grey shooter. The futuristic aesthetic also helps, as it reminds me of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, a game which I absolutely loved. Now, graphics and aesthetics is a touchy subject as most of it comes down to personal preference. I like the way it looks, but you might not. Either way, nobody can argue that the graphics are so bad it hurts your ability to play the game.

But here's where the games starts to have problems. Blacklight: Retribution has a serious case of what I like to call "CoD Syndrome." CoD Syndrome involves having a level-based unlock system which forces you to play the game not for fun, but rather to get something you want. Not only that, but after you unlock something with levels you also have to buy it with in-game currency, called GP. Now, this has nothing to do with the business model. I just hate the idea of having to run on a treadmill for something which should be down to personal preference. For example, if I subjectively prefer a shotgun over a light pistol, I have to wait until level 20. But if I want a heavy pistol instead, I only need to get to level 2 or 3 (I forget which). This is like an ice cream shop letting you buy mint chip, but making you run on a treadmill for 10 minutes if you want cookie dough. What's more, you still have to pay for your ice cream whichever one you pick. Now, some people may think differently about this problem, but honestly it was this that got the game a 7 instead of an 8, 9, or 10.

Now, this being a free-to-play game, the way the company makes money is by allowing you to buy the gun parts with real money. Because (almost) everything is sidegrade, there's no buying power. You're not getting better things; you're getting the same things faster by bypassing both the GP cost and the required level. Additionally, the part renting system makes it so you can try things for either one or seven days before you buy them. However, in order to really judge an F2P system, I have to compare it to what the game would be like if it were full price. If it was full price, would they still have the level-based unlocks? Or would everything be available from level 1? If the former, then I would most certainly rather keep it free. If the latter, then I would rather pay for it. That's right folks, call me crazy but I would pay $60 just so I don't have to run on a treadmill for my cookie dough ice cream.
  16. Jul 18, 2012
    Blacklight Retribution is an extremely fun game that lets anyone have a chance at winning and being MVP. Surprisingly, it does not follow a Pay 2 Win format that so many other Free-to-Play titles similar to this do, leading to an enriching experience that's fun for everyone. With a large playerbase, you can be sure that when all of the features are integrated into the game, it will onlyBlacklight Retribution is an extremely fun game that lets anyone have a chance at winning and being MVP. Surprisingly, it does not follow a Pay 2 Win format that so many other Free-to-Play titles similar to this do, leading to an enriching experience that's fun for everyone. With a large playerbase, you can be sure that when all of the features are integrated into the game, it will only get bigger. Expand
  17. Dec 29, 2012
    I am incredibly hard to impress and this free-to-play shooter impresses me greatly. The gunplay is tight and responsive. The kill times are a little short for my personal taste (they're pretty similar to CS kill times) but that certainly isn't a negative. It's fast paced which I really enjoy. The 'wall-hack' mechanic has an extremely positive side effect of keeping action up by directingI am incredibly hard to impress and this free-to-play shooter impresses me greatly. The gunplay is tight and responsive. The kill times are a little short for my personal taste (they're pretty similar to CS kill times) but that certainly isn't a negative. It's fast paced which I really enjoy. The 'wall-hack' mechanic has an extremely positive side effect of keeping action up by directing players towards each other, which someone like me really appreciates. The nade mechanics are on point, you can cook a nade, the throw arch is very intuitive, nothing feels wonky or out of place, the gun balance seems fine, granted I'm not lvl 10 yet so I haven't accessed the late game stuff. I mean I went into this game having extremely high standards for FPS and I am just amazed how satisfying the game experience is. I recommend. Expand
  18. Jul 6, 2012
    I can credit this game for being different to your typical Korean free shooter. But unfortunately, the game is far too complicated and has too many elements to make it a viable game even if it is free. It took me 2 days to activate my account, and when you finally log in to the game you will spend most of the time being bombarded by tutorials and messing around in the options menu andI can credit this game for being different to your typical Korean free shooter. But unfortunately, the game is far too complicated and has too many elements to make it a viable game even if it is free. It took me 2 days to activate my account, and when you finally log in to the game you will spend most of the time being bombarded by tutorials and messing around in the options menu and customisation trying to figure out what anything is. And when you get in a match (which is complicated even still) you will experience lag, confusion and get points randomly. Even respawning is more complicated than it needs to be. I have never come across a more complicated shooter ever. OK the graphics are good for a free game- you get DirectX11 features like Tessalation. But since it's set at night the game doesn't look pretty cause it's too dark. The customisation is far too complicated. If you want a free shooter that is fair in all manors i.e. doesn't depend on your PC specs, connection or how well you've customised your layout try CrossFire. It is by far a superior, much more simple and far more addictive and skillful game than this pathetic attempt. If you want a real game, get Batttlefield 3. There's no reason to play this game over BF3 or CrossFire. Expand
  19. Jul 25, 2012
    What Blacklight Retribution does right is the amount of customization on your load-out and the ability to customize your character, however that's where it all falls down a cliff. It probably takes around a full day of play to get the exp needed to unlock a single accessory for a gun (of which there are douzens). I get they want to make money with this game, and I'm also a type of personWhat Blacklight Retribution does right is the amount of customization on your load-out and the ability to customize your character, however that's where it all falls down a cliff. It probably takes around a full day of play to get the exp needed to unlock a single accessory for a gun (of which there are douzens). I get they want to make money with this game, and I'm also a type of person that's willing to pay, but in order for me to get a decent build I could 2 to 4 full A- rated games on Steam. So you're being faced with two equally unattractive propositions. Though I'm an experienced MMO player and I can deal with grind just fine, however, I cannot deal with clunky mechanics that feel wooden if not rusted. Being able to see through walls isn't as big of a deal as people make it out to be, it just makes you think twice if you're trying a stealth move. Just that once you try to shoot that person you saw, it gives zero satisfaction, they don't feel like guns and don't sound like guns. The aforementioned attachments you can unlock do offer noticeable differences and you can adjust them to your style, it doesn't make up for the lack of feel. Though the very worst that with an i7 3770k and a GTX690 I was getting pretty bad frame drops (down to 20's), which is probably just a compatibility issue, but that doesn't make it excusable or less preposterous. It being free and so customizable are its only redeeming factors, despite all the negative reviews I decided to still give it a try, and I encourage you to do the same. I however was deeply dissapointed. Expand
  20. Sep 18, 2012
    This is a great game and great concept... Building the guns from parts is really engaging and adds a lot to the normal Counterstrike model of gameplay. For instance, if you prefer you can build a gun that is purely a short-range "spray and pray" that doesn't require a lot of precision (my favorite) or you can build a slow-firing sniper rifle from similar parts for the same cost. IThis is a great game and great concept... Building the guns from parts is really engaging and adds a lot to the normal Counterstrike model of gameplay. For instance, if you prefer you can build a gun that is purely a short-range "spray and pray" that doesn't require a lot of precision (my favorite) or you can build a slow-firing sniper rifle from similar parts for the same cost. I personally find the HRV (feature that lets you see through walls) to be a huge bonus as far as the speed and strategy of the matches; after all, everybody's got it. The maps are interesting and well laid out and the "F2P + cash extras" model is very well done; it's not intrusive to the game and the cash-bought items do not give you an advantage in each match; you can buy it all if you spend time playing. Bottom line: if you want a Counterstrike-style game with a few twists, it's worth the $0 to download it. Expand
  21. Jul 14, 2012
    A rubbish game. The tutorial was annoying and I had to turn subtitles on to understand what the voice was saying.
    Servers are constantly jam packed. I can barely even join a game.
    Graphics are ok, its the Unreal Engine.
    By the time I reached level 2 I had enough and removed it.

Lousy game, try it if you want but don't bother wasting money on it
  22. Nov 6, 2012
    Very nice action shooter. Responsive controls and the guns all feel completely different. None of the CoD shooting all the way across the world with a sub-machine gun for an instant kill. All the popular game modes from many different games are included. Great fun and free.
  23. Aug 16, 2012
    Its a pretty fun shooter and not pay to win at all but everything is too damn expensive. I would give it an 8 but it let down by its terrible freemium model. Everything is way to expensive. A single small part (that doesn't change your guns stats by that much) is 3.50. I've bought entire games for less than that!
  24. Feb 11, 2013
    The score is to counter the false 10-point reviews, reality is this game rates around 5 out of 10 after a few of the recent patches. First rule of this game: NEVER PUT MONEY INTO THIS GAME. The devs do not deserve the money and it doesn't get you much, the F2P game model needs to die off because it's bad business. Now to the game. The game used to be fun and almost balanced, then theThe score is to counter the false 10-point reviews, reality is this game rates around 5 out of 10 after a few of the recent patches. First rule of this game: NEVER PUT MONEY INTO THIS GAME. The devs do not deserve the money and it doesn't get you much, the F2P game model needs to die off because it's bad business. Now to the game. The game used to be fun and almost balanced, then the update that 'fixed' the HRV issue ruined the game and made it much slower. I quit more than a few months ago but kept tabs on the game, and the devs are just ham-handed with their patches. Every patch adds more bugs than it fixes, and game balance is totally ruined now. This is the first time I saw a good game get ruined by patching. Expand
  25. Aug 6, 2012
    I've tried a lot of F2P games, most fall flat and don't offer any excitement to speak of past their initial premise. F2P FPS games even more so than other genre's seem to fail horribly for whatever reason. I've yet to play a single one that was even half as fun as a AAA FPS title (And lets admit those are pretty generic anymore). I spent a good while downloading this game as it's 8 GB, andI've tried a lot of F2P games, most fall flat and don't offer any excitement to speak of past their initial premise. F2P FPS games even more so than other genre's seem to fail horribly for whatever reason. I've yet to play a single one that was even half as fun as a AAA FPS title (And lets admit those are pretty generic anymore). I spent a good while downloading this game as it's 8 GB, and after all that - the game failed to start. I'm a computer technician, so I know how to fix issues the arise generally. Whatever problem Blacklight Retribution has is something in its awful coding. The launcher prompts windows to install something through steam every time I launched the game, the launcher takes a long time to just tell you you're at the newest patch version, and after all that every time I launched the game it just went to a black screen and locked my computer up so horribly that all my USB devices die (Keyboard and mouse just totally dead, can't even CTRL+ALT+DEL out). I disabled my antivirus and firewall (Both of which work fine with all my other games) and still this game just locked up so badly I had to reboot my computer.

I found someone who said that it's best to download direct from the Blacklight Retribution website, so I started to do that download (Now mind you I have 30 MBPS broadband, normal download rates are 2.5-3.5 MB/sec - steam only took about 10 mins to download the whole game). So I'm downloading through their website, first off they install this awful Pando Media Booster program notorious for excessive seeding and sucking your bandwidth - and then the download rates are horrible! They look like they've been capped to me, the most I was getting was about 700 KB/sec so a nice 2 and a half hour download time. I just cancelled it, deleted the Pando leech program and completely decided against any more effort on this games part.

Don't waste your time even downloading this game. I thought I'd try it, but more I see people who have real taste are noting the game is a Pay 2 Win kind of F2P and as I was beginning to suspect that the guns don't really feel right (Yes this is hard to describe, but it's difficult for a game with fake guns to get the same feeling of satisfaction that real modelled guns can). This is another generic throwaway FPS that just has lots of customization - which ultimately while cool in concept doesn't mean anything for the lousy gameplay based on all the content I've looked at while trying to get the game running. The developers are clearly too unskilled to code any better than they have, so some users like myself just can't even get the game running. Some might excuse the poor coding because it's F2P, but I don't - other F2P games offer far higher quality than this in that department.
  26. Aug 24, 2012
    Blacklight: Retribution is a great game, with a lot of guns, armors, that you can customize, with upgrades, different looks and colors.
    There are also some classes of characters and each have different ways to customize.
    The game plays feels like Call Of Duty (which is almost the best a FPS can get), and its better then most FPS's out there, like War Rock and Team Fortress 2. The
    The graphics are awesome and for an online game its amazing, and the guns are beautifully made.
    The sound is just amazing, it feels like a real war, because of the guns shots, explosions etc... I love the feeling of battle while playing the game, so to play this game in full awesomeness grab some headphones and prepare to blow some heads up!
    Also a lot users are giving it negative scores like 0 and 4, but its impossible for this game to get a negative, because the game play is like your "beloved" Call Of Duty, the graphics incredible and in each match a new experience!
    So if you don't know how to play don't review this game. Or if you don't like just don't play it and stop bashing on it.
    And Has you can see I gave the game and 9. Why not a 10? Because its not 100%. It has some errors and bugs but besides that, and if you like FPS's get ready for lots of hours of fun!
  27. Oct 4, 2012
    While it isn't perfect, it just might be the best pc multiplayer FPS out there. Compared to the popular mw3, the gameplay of BLR is miles ahead. Anyway, this are my 2 reasons why everyone should at least try it:

1. It's free to play, but not pay to win, and do not believe the misinformed/ill intended people who say otherwise. Everything gameplay related can be bought with game points (GP). While you don't have to buy anything with real money in order to improve your odds, you may end up buying things with money to support the game.
    2. The HRV, which is a temporary wallhack, makes corner camping impossible, which is so annoying in other shooters.
  28. Jul 19, 2012
    The problem I find with pay-to-win games is the model. Now, I get the fact that these guys have to pay for servers, staff, and licensing of the Unreal engine, and for this reason I can see myself paying approximately $20 to 40$ for a game, even if p-2-w. But if I pay between 20$ and 40$ I expect to get premium value. But with Blacklight, this is not the case. 20$ dollars gets you theThe problem I find with pay-to-win games is the model. Now, I get the fact that these guys have to pay for servers, staff, and licensing of the Unreal engine, and for this reason I can see myself paying approximately $20 to 40$ for a game, even if p-2-w. But if I pay between 20$ and 40$ I expect to get premium value. But with Blacklight, this is not the case. 20$ dollars gets you the few items that you think are top-class, but as you find out very quickly, turns out to be spectacularly bad and overpriced investments. Now, it is true that you can accumulate ingame cash for playing, but the problem here is that you can only rent the items for a day or seven days at an affordable price. The prices to actually have the item forever, unlike other online shooters like Tribes: Ascend, is ridiculous. Meaning that it will take approximately 100 games to own the cheapest clip for your pistol - and as you get several guns, several mods for guns (clips, stock and barrels) and several pieces of armor for about every part of your body, your 'blood-and-sweat' new pistol clip just makes you end up looking like a right tool.

However, the setting, atmosphere and sound is quite good and has a decent cyberpunk feel. The game also uses the Unreal engine, meaning that the gameplay and mechanics are quite solid. The matchmaking is however pretty much the same of most online shooters. You cant spectate in the middle of a match so as to wait for an open spot. No, you must either have perfect timing, look for an open spot on a server without having the time to check the server's details (server map or type of mode (the details of which arent apparent on first glance), or waste your time by clicking on the broken 'auto-join' button. Basically, in the end, you are stuck having to sift through servers finding an open spot. When you do eventually get an open spot in a server, odds are you are stuck on a server which is the same map, all the day, every day.

If you dont want to shell out atleast 100$ for playing a game properly, dont bother.
  29. Oct 20, 2012
    I was actually pleasantly surprised that a F2P such as this could be so good, yes it has it's ups and downs, mainly ups but it's still really good for a simple F2P, so I'm looking forward to many hours of gameplay with this.
  30. Apr 19, 2012
    This game is a f2p shooter done right. The guns and armor are nicely balanced. I played blacklight tango but GFWL really killed it. This time they got rid of that junk and it is a lot better. There are many modes to play, such as KOTH, TDM, DM, and CTF. There is so many ways you can customize your weapon, gear, and outfit. There is also some nice novelty taunts in the game as well.This game is a f2p shooter done right. The guns and armor are nicely balanced. I played blacklight tango but GFWL really killed it. This time they got rid of that junk and it is a lot better. There are many modes to play, such as KOTH, TDM, DM, and CTF. There is so many ways you can customize your weapon, gear, and outfit. There is also some nice novelty taunts in the game as well. Really give this game a shot :D Expand

1. Sep 16, 2012
    A more-than-capable shooter that is a blast to play. Shame about the pings. [Sept 2012, p.59]
  2. Aug 6, 2012
    Retribution is worth your time under one condition –you like online shooters, you don't get carried away with emotions and will treat this game as entertainment and not a fierce match to the death. Game mechanics is perfect, you can easily feel differences between weapons, even after a slight modification. The game uses Unreal Engine 3, is well optimized and looks nice, although the industrial style and sterile locations prevent you from being astonished. I'm not a hardcore shooter fan, so after a while – even with all the weapons and customization – I became bored. Retribution offers nothing new.
  3. Jul 30, 2012