7.5

1. Apr 15, 2012
    Blacklight Retribution is an amazingly well made free-to-play shooter game. Controls are solid, player builds are very well balanced, pace is fast and exciting, maps are varied and interesting. Customization is deep and complex and very satisfying. Gaining experience points in matches to level up and unlock more gear is also very satisfying. This is an excellent game overall!
  2. Sep 9, 2012
    I've read several low reviews on the site that I believe this game does not deserve due to ignorance and laziness. I'm going to try and give my opinion. Anyone that beats on this game for its "p2w" status has obviously not played it long enough, or is blatantly lazy and demands that everything be handed to "it" on a silver platter. This is my view. I have not spent a single penny onI've read several low reviews on the site that I believe this game does not deserve due to ignorance and laziness. I'm going to try and give my opinion. Anyone that beats on this game for its "p2w" status has obviously not played it long enough, or is blatantly lazy and demands that everything be handed to "it" on a silver platter. This is my view. I have not spent a single penny on Blacklight Retribution. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->>The graphics are pretty good, the environments are colorful, and its cyberpunk theme is presented very nicely. However, if you're looking for BF3 level graphics, go play BF3. It's a shooter. If you're too busy staring at the wall textures, then you should really be doing something else.--------------------------------------------------------------------------->>Many people have also hit on this game on its "complexity", stating that it has too many elements, the gun customization is too complicated, the tutorial is too complicated, HRV is too complicated. They are all impatient idiots who are all unwilling to just sit down for a few minutes and learn. The system is not hard. It just requires some getting used to. If you want a simpler game, go and play some **** generic Korean FPS like Combat Arms. -------------------------------------------------------->>The cash shop/paying IRL is another thing I've been seeing as a complaint here. It is also one of the biggest parts of an F2P game. As such, this section will be the longest. Let me get this straight: --The ONLY things that are only obtainable in BL:R via money only are heroes, cosmetic items, taunts, a few profile customization options, and a COUPLE gun receivers. That is it. Everything else, and I mean everything (every single gun part, every single piece of armor, every single piece of equipment) is obtainable permanently by just playing the game. ---------------------------------------------------``Premade weapons(only permable by zen) can be obtained by gp for a very low daily price-200gp. That's about 1.5 matches, which will take a MAXIMUM of 15 minutes. That's a hell of a lot better than other F2P games. -----------------------``Just like other F2P FPS, you can earn Zen(in game money) by doing surveys or offers via the BL:R website. ---------``Items are unlocked on a per level basis. HOWEVER, every single time that you level up, you automatically get a free weapon tag as well as 1 of each item that has been unlocked for 3 DAYS. --``ALSO, People who think that you can only unlock weapons for 1 day with GP are illiterate, lazy, and do not follow the tutorial. In the purchase option, hit the little arrow next to "1 day", and choose a period of time. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------``Perming items is not that hard with GP. Your most expensive weapon part is a receiver at 5000 GP. At 150gp a game, that's only about 30-40 matches. Those that whine and complain about the game being a "grind for gp" need to take the immediate gratification/item needing dick out of their ass and go back to COD. The game is fun, even with the standard equipment. Need proof that standard equipment isn't pure **** and is actually viable? Go search "z3roarmada" on Youtube. >>Next, the gameplay. BL:R has a mechanic called HRV, in which you can see the location of every single player, depot, vehicle, and objective on the map for a limited time, with a set recharge. "AHMAHGAWD THAT'S OP" It's not if everyone can do it. With that added mechanic, situational awareness is key, and ambushes are nigh impossible. Many players are unused to this and throw their anger in the form of a bad score. The gameplay is straightforward and recognizable, with your typical DM, TDM, CTF, and KOTH, and escort. It also has Kill Confirmed (a spin off of TDM), as well as Netwar and Domination(similar to KOTH). ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>>One last thing. The customization in this game is amazing. The guns(all of them) you use(as long as they're not premade) can be customized with a unique receiver, muzzle, barrel, magazine, stock, scope, weapon tag, as well as a skin. Fun-wise, I think that this game is one of the best that I've played, especially for the price of free. I have dumped a few weeks on this game, and it has not bored me yet. This overview, while definitely not the best, covers what I think should help clear some things up. Damn Metacritic and its lack of allowing me to organize my wall of text. Expand
  3. Apr 8, 2012
    This game is great. All the guns feel very satisfying to shoot, and the amount of customization is just astonishing. The maps feel well designed, and provide ample sightlines for snipers and narrow corridors for SMG/Rifle combat. The only ding against this game is that you are almost required to use real world money for new guns as the EXP takes FOREVER to earn. That game is very fun, andThis game is great. All the guns feel very satisfying to shoot, and the amount of customization is just astonishing. The maps feel well designed, and provide ample sightlines for snipers and narrow corridors for SMG/Rifle combat. The only ding against this game is that you are almost required to use real world money for new guns as the EXP takes FOREVER to earn. That game is very fun, and I recommend it to any FPS fan. Expand
  4. Apr 7, 2012
    I find this game to be one of the best MMOFPS (massively miltiplayer online first person shooter) games i have ever played. I'm going to start with the maps. Most of the maps are small to medium size. And by small i don't mean tiny, i mean just close quarters. Kind of like the Call of Duty MW3 map "Dome" Just the right size to still be fun. But for all your long-range lovers, don't worry,I find this game to be one of the best MMOFPS (massively miltiplayer online first person shooter) games i have ever played. I'm going to start with the maps. Most of the maps are small to medium size. And by small i don't mean tiny, i mean just close quarters. Kind of like the Call of Duty MW3 map "Dome" Just the right size to still be fun. But for all your long-range lovers, don't worry, there are still some pretty large maps, and a few great ones for sniping. Now i'm going to transition to the guns. You can literally customize every aspect about your gun. You can customize receiver (assault rifle, sub machine gun, light machine gun, heavy assault rifle, combat rifle, and bolt action rifle), muzzle, barrel, magazine, scope, stock, weapon tag (little charm on your gun that gives it bonuses), and camo. And for each of the categories there is usually 10+ options to choose from. Now for the armor. The armor is very easy to customize, with around 5-6 options for either upper body, helmet, lower body, or camo. Then there's depot items. These are special items that you can buy with points you earn throughout the game (kind of like COD kill streaks but not really). All together its a really fun game, and its free! Expand
  5. Apr 14, 2012
    Surprisingly fair game for both people spending money and true F2P people. Right now it has somewhat limited maps/gametypes, but more are on the way. Gameplay is fun, you can customize to your style (speed vs armor), fully customizable weapons, choice of gear, etc. Good graphics, most people are friendly (certainly moreso than most FPS). XP comes quickly until in levels in the 20s, and aSurprisingly fair game for both people spending money and true F2P people. Right now it has somewhat limited maps/gametypes, but more are on the way. Gameplay is fun, you can customize to your style (speed vs armor), fully customizable weapons, choice of gear, etc. Good graphics, most people are friendly (certainly moreso than most FPS). XP comes quickly until in levels in the 20s, and a few hours can earn you enough points to get permanent gear without spending money. Expand
  6. Apr 15, 2012
    This is the best free-to-play FPS ever made. Surely better than Team Fortress 2 after it was made free-to-play. Here's why.

Of course, the first concern for anyone interested in the free-to-play model is, can free users still play competitively. The answer is a resounding yes. The balance in game mechanics is incredible, and the developers are working very hard to tweak everything perfectly. Free users are in no way at a disadvantage. There are a large variety of play-styles that are possible, and each one feels well balanced and fun. Games are played up to 16 players at a time, in 10-minute matches ranging the traditional gamut of gametypes: capture the flag, king of the hill, deathmatch, team deathmatch, domination (holding control points), with a few more yet to come.

Map design is top notch. All the maps are very well balanced, and very fun, each one incorporating a good variety of close-range and long-range combat options. The two unique game mechanics in this game are 1) the power to temporarily see through walls and identify where all your opponents are for a few seconds, and 2) the ability to summon a mech to jump inside once you've gotten enough points in a match. Both of these features add a healthy variety to the gameplay and set this game apart from other FPSs. The see-through-walls feature significantly increases the importance of team tactics to achieve objectives.

The player customization is very extensive. Gun parts can be customized down to every last detail. A delightful leveling system assures that there is always another piece of equipment you're eyeing to unlock. Unlocking all the parts can take many hours of playtime, however. But none of the upgrades are overpowered or game-ruining. They all confer slight benefits and they all come with trade-offs to other stats. (Stronger armor will make you run slower, a more accurate gun will do less damage, etc.)

Overall, this game is very polished, and it's incredibly refreshing to see a free to play FPS that isn't a circus. And content will continue to be released! The developers are working very hard and they're intimately connected with the community via the official forums. So even though this is free to play, I'm more than willing to shell out some cash.
  7. May 25, 2012
    This game is TOTALLY worth the money... ok lame joke out of the way. It is really good. There are some great user reviews here so I am not going to really go all out, just want to say a few things: 1. Look and feel of the game are great. Great use of the Unreal Engine. 2. Customization is awesome and meaningful. Lots of it. Starts to feel like an MMO or RPG with how much customizationThis game is TOTALLY worth the money... ok lame joke out of the way. It is really good. There are some great user reviews here so I am not going to really go all out, just want to say a few things: 1. Look and feel of the game are great. Great use of the Unreal Engine. 2. Customization is awesome and meaningful. Lots of it. Starts to feel like an MMO or RPG with how much customization there is to character and weapon stats. 3. Free vs Pay player system is balanced very very well. My one complaint really: You are FORCED to buy more load-out slots. You can't use in game points to get more load out options. I think this is the only "chumpish" aspect of the pay system. Pretty upset about that feature. Solid game, and I recommend every fan of FPS at least give it a look. It can't hurt as it is free, might as well. Expand
  8. Apr 23, 2012
    This is a game i LOVE the most out of any FPS. You can see through walls by pressing Ë
  9. Oct 2, 2012
    Blacklight Retribution is one of if not the best free to play game I have ever played. The amount of content in this game is amazing. Get pay to win out of your head when you think about this game. It is extremely balanced and insanely well put together.
  10. Jul 30, 2012
    BLR is one of the best F2P FPS games out there. Unlike most others, the system is not broken with pay-to-win shceme. 1 match of GP will give you enough to rent a decked out gun for a day, so you can use high level guns to earn money to customize your own gun. The gunplay feels tight, and no weapons really feel overpowered than others (Unless you have a low recoil/low spread LMG setup).BLR is one of the best F2P FPS games out there. Unlike most others, the system is not broken with pay-to-win shceme. 1 match of GP will give you enough to rent a decked out gun for a day, so you can use high level guns to earn money to customize your own gun. The gunplay feels tight, and no weapons really feel overpowered than others (Unless you have a low recoil/low spread LMG setup). Speaking of gun setups, its amazing to see all that stats that you can modify by choosing different attachments. Almost anything you can think of relating to your weapons or armor can be customized to your exact play style.

And the reason why I'm liking this game so much - The maps feel well thought out with plenty of alternate paths. With the exception of HeloDeck, the maps have a great mixture of places to snipe and places to get into a total **** of a gunfight. For a F2P game, nobody could have asked for more.
  11. Jul 9, 2012
    All I can say is that this game wows me every time. I think the biggest thing it has going for it is that it's free to play and you really don't 'need' to pay for anything. I did pay for the starter pack since it was only ten bucks but ever since I haven't felt the need to pay for anything else. The game is astonishingly well made for a F2P game. No, not even just for a F2P. It's outrightAll I can say is that this game wows me every time. I think the biggest thing it has going for it is that it's free to play and you really don't 'need' to pay for anything. I did pay for the starter pack since it was only ten bucks but ever since I haven't felt the need to pay for anything else. The game is astonishingly well made for a F2P game. No, not even just for a F2P. It's outright an amazing game. The graphics are excellent, the soundtrack is sweet, the gameplay is fluid, the audio is crisp, the menus are well designed, and just about every round is intense. Anyone who believes this game is a pay to win game is just a sore loser. Shelling out cash only gives you fancy skins, silly emotes, XP boosts, and lets you hang on to some items permanently. None of these things give you an edge on the battlefield. It only grants you the ability to personlize your soldier freely. It's rare that I feel the need to get online and recommend a game but this one does it for me. I am honestly sick of the MW series and really no FPS games have impressed me in a long while. To have spent so much time away from the FPS genre and to finaly come across Blacklight Retribution (and its free!) has been a breath of fresh air. Bugs are minor and I have no issues with the servers. Expand
  12. Jul 11, 2012
    This is by FAR the greatest PC f2p fps game ever seen. The business model is very good (NOT pay-to-win). Graphics and game play are all top-notch. What else can be said? Try it for yourself.

If you are a PC-gamer that digs fps games, this is a mandatory evaluation for you!
  13. Apr 29, 2012
    Anyone caring enough to read these reviews probably already knows about the core mechanics of the game, so here's just a short sum-up of the highlights:

- Incredibly detailed gun customization, letting any player who is willing to invest time (and/or money) create the perfect weapon for his playstyle - "Integrated Wallhack" feature adds a new dimension of tactics to the game, as everyone

- "Integrated Wallhack" feature adds a new dimension of tactics to the game, as everyone is aware of everyone else's positions most of the time
    - Free2Play as it should be done: Paying gamers have NO gameplay advantages over people who actually put time into the game. Free unlocks take quite a while, but personally, I managed to get permanent gear that allowed me to compete with high level players after around 15 hours of playing. More impatient people can also unlock gear for 1/3/7 days with much less (free) ingame currency.
    DON'T trust any review claiming this is a pay2win game.

Blacklight: Retribution might be a stupid title for a game, the barebones approach (no real lore, no single player, very little marketing, etc.) might make the package look a little unattractive, but in my opinion there's a real gameplay gem behind the bland fassade. And with new modes and weapons coming up, it looks like it will only get better. I haven't had this much fun with an FPS in years, and I've been playing FPS for over a decade.

P.S.: The Gamespot review is nonsense.
    "Hardsuits are clunky and awkward" ... seriously? Join any game of Blacklight and you'll have people complaining how they're overpowered, how they should be slower, how they should even be removed altogether. "New weapons and gear are costly"... yeah, god forbid you should be forced to actually play a game you enjoy to unlock stuff. And if you don't enjoy it... why care that unlocks are slow? Just don't play.
    Also, Tribes: Ascend, the main current F2P competitor for Blacklight has MUCH more expensive unlocks, yet this magically doesn't qualify as a bad point in Gamespot's review.

P.P.S.: Yes, I signed up just to review this game (for now).
  14. Jul 17, 2012
    I created an account here just to review this game. Blacklight: Retribution is simply amazing. The graphics are top-notch, and the gameplay does not disappoint at all, with fast-paced, intense action. It is not pay-to-win either. Everything that affects gameplay is buyable through GP (earned in-game). Everyone who enjoys FPS games at all needs to at least try it out. Post Steam launchI created an account here just to review this game. Blacklight: Retribution is simply amazing. The graphics are top-notch, and the gameplay does not disappoint at all, with fast-paced, intense action. It is not pay-to-win either. Everything that affects gameplay is buyable through GP (earned in-game). Everyone who enjoys FPS games at all needs to at least try it out. Post Steam launch edit: Yeah there were server issues because of the massive amount of new players, that's to be expected. Don't rate the game a 0 for that... And people are saying the graphics are "OK." Sure, if you have a 10 year old PC. Get a DX11 card, then show me a FREE game with better graphics. Seems like people are comparing this to $60 titles, but guess what? You don't have to spend a penny to FULLY enjoy this game. TL;DR - Don't trust the scores on here. Play the game yourself. Expand
  15. Jul 5, 2012
    I have to laugh at the reviews complaining about how long it takes to permanently unlock parts for customization and then in the same sentence suggesting Call of Duty or Battlefield 3, games famous for their grind to max level so you can have all the guns and options.

There really is no "pay2win" in BL:R. All the guns you can rent are the same guns people choose to buy with IRL money, you just played and used in game money for it. Yes as has been stated the armor is a bit pay2win, but its a free game that anyone can play. Really all I hear is "wah wah wah people paid to support this company and are better than I am wah wah wah I want what they have but I don't want to have to pay for it"
  16. Jul 17, 2012
    Blacklight is a very good free-to-play shooter. People complaining about it being a pay-to-win have a point, but I, as well as many other players with the default guns and armor, seems to be pretty evenly matched with everyone. It's all based on gun skill. As far the the graphics go, it looks great. I have a higher end gaming pc, and with the settings on high, it looks like almost anyBlacklight is a very good free-to-play shooter. People complaining about it being a pay-to-win have a point, but I, as well as many other players with the default guns and armor, seems to be pretty evenly matched with everyone. It's all based on gun skill. As far the the graphics go, it looks great. I have a higher end gaming pc, and with the settings on high, it looks like almost any other shooter on the market, and for a free-to-play, I think it looks pretty great. The price for gold and zen are pretty high, but then again, the game IS free. The maps are pretty balanced and the spawning blows CODs out of the water. All in all, Blacklight: Retribution is a great game. Expand
  17. Jul 29, 2012
    Blacklight Retribution has more polish than any other free to play game I have played to date. The matches are fast paced and are perfect if you do not have much time. The weapon customization is incredibly deep and I do not feel it is pay to win at all. Almost every item can be had eventually without spending a dime. Renting gun parts for 24hrs is cheap, so I have been renting andBlacklight Retribution has more polish than any other free to play game I have played to date. The matches are fast paced and are perfect if you do not have much time. The weapon customization is incredibly deep and I do not feel it is pay to win at all. Almost every item can be had eventually without spending a dime. Renting gun parts for 24hrs is cheap, so I have been renting and trying tons of parts. Once I know which parts I want, I simply save my points to buy them permanently and soon will have my perfect gun.

I understand some of the complaints on here, but most are non-factors if you stick with the game a little. The rent vs permanent option is hard to find at first and it seems like some people sour on the game quickly when the item they think they got permanently expires. Once you figure out where to choose rent vs permanent, this is not an issue. There are tons of menus that definitely take getting used to. The other thing is the servers. Right when the game went on Steam, the servers where kind of a mess and quick match was broken. I believe this has been addressed because I have not had any issues the last week or so.

Overall I would definitely recommend. I even bought the starter pack just to support the developers a little.
  18. Aug 28, 2012
    All low ratings are bots with one review total and full of lies. The game is the best FPS developed to date. By the time you are level 35 (max) you will have enough game points to unlock full set of gear, custom gun, armor and a secondary. Permanently. That is if you weren't running with starter items. Otherwise I would say at lvl 30 you will have everything you need without paying forAll low ratings are bots with one review total and full of lies. The game is the best FPS developed to date. By the time you are level 35 (max) you will have enough game points to unlock full set of gear, custom gun, armor and a secondary. Permanently. That is if you weren't running with starter items. Otherwise I would say at lvl 30 you will have everything you need without paying for anything. There is no pay2win since everything in game you can unlock with game points relatively fast (compared to games like tribes), only cosmetic items such as camos and taunts cost money. The physics and general mechanics are excellent on unreal engine, gun mechanics are great and have an intuitive feels to them. Customization is detailed right to where it needs to be. Not overwhelming and not under informative. Recoil spread and run speed is all you need to know to build a perfect weapon for yourself. The customization is also very varied with tons of different mods, scopes etc. Occasionally developers release new maps and gamemodes, and have nice events and giveaways. The game has some bugs that occasionally appear but developers fix them in timely fashion (not too annoying). For all it's worth, try it out until you're at least lvl 10. Expand
  19. Aug 24, 2012
    I made an account just to rate this game. This game is AAA quality and it is innovative. It is not pay to win. I am a level 32 and have saved up enough in game currency to have two builds (heavy armour and a light armour speed build) and a custom weapon as well as some other equipment. I have spent no money and I am almost always on the podium and frequently first place. The badI made an account just to rate this game. This game is AAA quality and it is innovative. It is not pay to win. I am a level 32 and have saved up enough in game currency to have two builds (heavy armour and a light armour speed build) and a custom weapon as well as some other equipment. I have spent no money and I am almost always on the podium and frequently first place. The bad scores and complaints I have read about are usually by people who have hardly played Blacklight or just aren't very good and get owned, then cry "pay to win". Things like the mechs, the HRV (wall hack), depots add strategic interest to the game. After playing for as long as I have I have realized that this game is very well balanced and well designed. I think this game is as good and as fun as BF3. If you like competitive online shooters, you are missing out if you don't give it a try. New content is always being added, it's easy to find and join servers, no crashes. This game is awesome! Expand
  20. Sep 14, 2012
    Blacklight Retribution is probably the best Free FPS game Ive played. Forget what the negative people say, they complain that "Wallhacks" ruin the game, when they don't even know the real meaning of them. The "Wallhacks" prevent campers from actually dominating the game and ruining the game like COD. It also has its cons like It is extremely duration time and you are unable to fire whenBlacklight Retribution is probably the best Free FPS game Ive played. Forget what the negative people say, they complain that "Wallhacks" ruin the game, when they don't even know the real meaning of them. The "Wallhacks" prevent campers from actually dominating the game and ruining the game like COD. It also has its cons like It is extremely duration time and you are unable to fire when using it. They also complain of Zen (Special Premium Currency) Users to have a advantage over Non-Zen users. That is a complete and ignorant lie because every item has its cons and pros and Zen does not buy any special un-obtaniable item that is bought by Zen only. Everything can be unlocked with GP unlike other games like Combat Arms where the majority of the weapons cannot be unlocked by GP. Most of the people complaining have no idea how to play the game and ignored the tutorial completely which reviewed the game basics as in: Weakness points for Hardsuits, Using a grenade, aiming. This game is the best of its kind, and you will not find anything better because this game fixes all the errors other FPSs have made. The only problem with this game is the match-making system because Level 12 people get paired up with Level 35 people. Do not pay attention to the ignorant kids in the Negative section because most of their complaints are pure rubbish and crap excuse. This game is excellent overall and I would HIGHLY recommend you telling your friends about this. Expand
  21. Apr 4, 2013
    A great F2P game. Firstly, many people complain that it takes too long to earn GP to get new guns and equipment, but ignore the system enabling 1 day rental, 7 day rental, and permanent items. This can make people choose whether they want to invest into building up a permanent class, or buy their favourite items playing through a week during the holidays, or every so often for a day whenA great F2P game. Firstly, many people complain that it takes too long to earn GP to get new guns and equipment, but ignore the system enabling 1 day rental, 7 day rental, and permanent items. This can make people choose whether they want to invest into building up a permanent class, or buy their favourite items playing through a week during the holidays, or every so often for a day when you have the time. The ability to change the muzzle, barrel, stock, scope, and every piece of the gun you can think of makes you think about what you are going to get, and it rewards you for playing the game well by what you do in a game.I, myself, do not often play this game for days in a row, yet have many permanent items that I like to choose between when tweaking my guns, which often happens every time I play. Often, my friends would rent their favourite pre-made so that they can own with their style of play, and this is often a good way for some people to work for permanent items. Notice when I say favourite, since some people will play extremely well with their own SMG while another person wouldn't live without getting a sniper. The gameplay is great, and changing out only a couple of pieces of your gun can make you notice recoil differences, change in sound, range and spread, showing they really made the customization have depth, with so many different class arrangements you can find by picking up a friendly or enemy weapon drop, which can really help to pick up If you think you need to give the other team a taste of their own medicine. Some people do not want to spend time perfecting their weapon, so they can decide to buy non-customizable pre-mades to keep them happy. But what if you don't want to buy new armours and equipment either? You can get whole character packages that let you drop into play whenever you want, with tailored equipment and guns, with new characters popping out all the time. From snipers, to back-stabbers, to mech-xperts (funny, right?), to heavy gunners, to speed demons. Find the right thing for you and you can enjoy this game as much as you try to. Expand
  22. Jul 18, 2012
    Blacklight Retribution is an extremely fun game that lets anyone have a chance at winning and being MVP. Surprisingly, it does not follow a Pay 2 Win format that so many other Free-to-Play titles similar to this do, leading to an enriching experience that's fun for everyone. With a large playerbase, you can be sure that when all of the features are integrated into the game, it will onlyBlacklight Retribution is an extremely fun game that lets anyone have a chance at winning and being MVP. Surprisingly, it does not follow a Pay 2 Win format that so many other Free-to-Play titles similar to this do, leading to an enriching experience that's fun for everyone. With a large playerbase, you can be sure that when all of the features are integrated into the game, it will only get bigger. Expand
  23. Aug 24, 2012
    Blacklight: Retribution is a great game, with a lot of guns, armors, that you can customize, with upgrades, different looks and colors.
    There are also some classes of characters and each have different ways to customize.
    The game plays feels like Call Of Duty (which is almost the best a FPS can get), and its better then most FPS's out there, like War Rock and Team Fortress 2. The
    The graphics are awesome and for an online game its amazing, and the guns are beautifully made.
    The sound is just amazing, it feels like a real war, because of the guns shots, explosions etc... I love the feeling of battle while playing the game, so to play this game in full awesomeness grab some headphones and prepare to blow some heads up!
    Also a lot users are giving it negative scores like 0 and 4, but its impossible for this game to get a negative, because the game play is like your "beloved" Call Of Duty, the graphics incredible and in each match a new experience!
    So if you don't know how to play don't review this game. Or if you don't like just don't play it and stop bashing on it.
    And Has you can see I gave the game and 9. Why not a 10? Because its not 100%. It has some errors and bugs but besides that, and if you like FPS's get ready for lots of hours of fun!
  24. Oct 4, 2012
    While it isn't perfect, it just might be the best pc multiplayer FPS out there. Compared to the popular mw3, the gameplay of BLR is miles ahead. Anyway, this are my 2 reasons why everyone should at least try it:

1. It's free to play, but not pay to win, and do not believe the misinformed/ill intended people who say otherwise. Everything gameplay related can be bought with game points (GP). While you don't have to buy anything with real money in order to improve your odds, you may end up buying things with money to support the game.
    2. The HRV, which is a temporary wallhack, makes corner camping impossible, which is so annoying in other shooters.
  25. Jan 6, 2013
    If you were a professional reviewer how would you rate this game and why? that is a good question. Most people posting here either like it or they don't. People are not like professional reviewers, they don't waste time in every single detail of the game. In fact, what most people do is to log in and start playing and they don't care about anything else. Also, people are not like reviewersIf you were a professional reviewer how would you rate this game and why? that is a good question. Most people posting here either like it or they don't. People are not like professional reviewers, they don't waste time in every single detail of the game. In fact, what most people do is to log in and start playing and they don't care about anything else. Also, people are not like reviewers in the sense that they are biased by everything around them: those things might include other games, other people, the media, or they might even go along with what everyone else is saying, just because everybody else is saying it...they don't want to be the oddball who actually liked the game, while everyone else said they didn't. But you don't have to be! Nobody is forcing you to not play a game just because they think it's bad, ultimately it is your choice because you can do whatever you wish with your own computer and you answer to nobody. You never know the truth about a game, until you install it and play it yourself. With that said, I believe Blacklight Retribution is a great game: 1) The graphics are awesome, this game runs on the Unreal Engine with DX11. We all know Unreal Engine, it runs great on many varieties of computers. It has many choices, among them tessellation, bokeh, and depth of field. But that is nothing to be worried about, because entry level cards can max out this game, no problem. 2) Dedicated Servers are amazing, the ping is below 100 (on a basic AT&T connection) and there is always plenty of people to play with at any time of the day. You can filter out servers, and find your place in a game easy as 1,2,3 (Well, at least I haven't had any problem with that). 3)I like the maps, they are great. They are medium sized and are designed so that you never spawn in the same place twice. They are also colorful and shiny, but you may need to turn the brightness up on some. 4)Contrary to popular belief, the "wall-hack" visor doesn't really change anything. You can't shoot through the walls, and you can't even shoot while using it anyway. 3) Everyone dies. IF you are new to the game, no worries, because higher level players can be killed just as easily as you, no one has an advantage, even if they paid (I've killed dozens of them no problem, head-shots even) . 4) There no advertising in this game. That is amazing, considering it's F2P and all. A couple of cons, yeah you have to rent things with GP which only last 2 or 3 days and you also have to dish out a lot of GP for weapon parts, but I believe that is a small price to pay, because in real money you have the chance to pay $0 = ) Expand
  26. Oct 4, 2012
    I think it is awesome due to its graphics, and sweet guns. I also like the map designs, like the cities! It is very similar to tribes ascend, or Halo.
  27. Jul 29, 2012
    Blacklight Retribution is a great free to play game, better than a lot pay to play games I have played. It has a very strong theme, Great customization options, Fun gameplay, very fast paced, and very few modders or hackers. All in all this game is a must play for any FPS lover and even if you don't like FPS's it's still worth trying out.
  28. Jul 31, 2012
    For a F2P shooter, it is bang on awesome. Barely any glitches, the HRV (pretty much wall hack) makes sure no one really is able to camp at all. And it's not P2W either. Sure if you spend money you will have a lead, but i did not spent any zen at all and is still rocked. This game is much more about skill than gear. And it does not take a full day to unlock a single accessory. Play 1-2For a F2P shooter, it is bang on awesome. Barely any glitches, the HRV (pretty much wall hack) makes sure no one really is able to camp at all. And it's not P2W either. Sure if you spend money you will have a lead, but i did not spent any zen at all and is still rocked. This game is much more about skill than gear. And it does not take a full day to unlock a single accessory. Play 1-2 matches, get about 200 -400 GP and you have enough to either buy a premade weapon, which you can not customize but can give you a feel for certain weapon builds, or slowly build your own. Granted to perma buy anything costs a crazy amount of gp and zen, so i can see why ppl go for zen. But each time you lvl the game sends you a mail with some items for your lvl which last for three days, that is more than enough time to earn enough gp to be able to keep renting your gear for say 1 day, or 7 days until you can earn enough gp to buy that thing forever. So i would suggest this game for everyone, this game is better than some major titles as well, BF3 comes to mind, BF3 is just plain **** fail. Expand
  29. Aug 15, 2012
    I really like this game because we can personalize our weapon as we want and we can have access to every equipments and weapons in the game without using a single penny.
  30. Aug 21, 2012
    This is by far one of the best FTP FPS games out, first off it has awesome graphics and tons of menu customizations, it has tons of servers and getting into a game is almost instant and the loading is quicker then any game i have ever seen before (1 second to load a game) people say the built in wall hack is cheap but in reality it is very balanced. when you use it it takes about 1 secondThis is by far one of the best FTP FPS games out, first off it has awesome graphics and tons of menu customizations, it has tons of servers and getting into a game is almost instant and the loading is quicker then any game i have ever seen before (1 second to load a game) people say the built in wall hack is cheap but in reality it is very balanced. when you use it it takes about 1 second to get into HRV and about 1 second to get out and you can not shoot while you are using it so even if it lets you see where people are it doesn't give you any real advantage, it just keeps the game going. the controls are awesome too, they are simple and very refined to make better gameplay. this gave is not a pay to win game. there are no real upgrades, everything that makes one stat better makes another one worse so it is just a matter of finding out what is best for you, anyone can get any gun part without paying zen the only thing they have to do is get to the required level which isn't hard and the stock gun and armor is not bad at all... i have played just about every free fps game that has ever come out and this one is by for the best! Expand
  31. Sep 28, 2012
    as far as free to play shooters go, you would be hard pressed to find a better gaming experience than blacklight: retribution. the graphics are sharp and the gameplay is tight. all the customizing you can do with your guns--even down to exact stat numbers--will have stat monkeys busy tweaking for hours. the pay model for this game is also very solid. most items you buy in the marketplaceas far as free to play shooters go, you would be hard pressed to find a better gaming experience than blacklight: retribution. the graphics are sharp and the gameplay is tight. all the customizing you can do with your guns--even down to exact stat numbers--will have stat monkeys busy tweaking for hours. the pay model for this game is also very solid. most items you buy in the marketplace you can also earn with in game currency. this makes the playing field feel a little more level and you never really feel like you are at an unfair advantage. some cool things that stuck out to me about the game were the different gadgets you can use from the in-match depots. items such as flamethrowers, and hardbody mech suits. these items really help spice up the gameplay and set it apart from other titles out there. they also give you an HRV display that allows you to see through walls. honestly i think this is a clever counter to hackers who use wallhacks because now, everybody has wallhacks. nice try kids. the game also loads lightning fast. this might seem strange to bring up but no seriously, it loads FAST. it gets you into games in under 5 seconds most the time. at the end of the day, if you are looking for a SOLID shooter on steam and are low on funds, blacklight: retribution may be the way to go. be sure to check out the blacklight reddit because you can often come across codes to unlock things or just really good game pointers in general. Expand
  32. Oct 7, 2012
    This game is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. It is free to play, and very fast paced. I don't know what the heck other people are talking about, with permanent weapons costing way too much. Compared to other games like "Tribes: Ascend" which is another one of my favorites, you can get weapons incredibly fast. It often takes me 2-3 hours to get a rifle I want, whereas in other games like Tribes, it takes meThis game is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. It is free to play, and very fast paced. I don't know what the heck other people are talking about, with permanent weapons costing way too much. Compared to other games like "Tribes: Ascend" which is another one of my favorites, you can get weapons incredibly fast. It often takes me 2-3 hours to get a rifle I want, whereas in other games like Tribes, it takes me 1-3 WEEKS. This is a great game, CHECK IT OUT! Expand
  33. Nov 2, 2012
    This game is amazing. The HRV (wall see-thru) is amazing. It's not overpowered and gameplay is still balanced. Just today I got a GP compensation for the messed up double GP event weekend. They keep the F2P titles neck-and-neck with P2P titles like Battlefield or CoD. This is a F2P game, take what you can get. This surpassed my thoughts on how good it was going to be. The events areThis game is amazing. The HRV (wall see-thru) is amazing. It's not overpowered and gameplay is still balanced. Just today I got a GP compensation for the messed up double GP event weekend. They keep the F2P titles neck-and-neck with P2P titles like Battlefield or CoD. This is a F2P game, take what you can get. This surpassed my thoughts on how good it was going to be. The events are amazing. I have a Black Mesa Crowbar from a steam event and a headcrab weapon tag. This game is amazing and the options are optimized for gameplay. Do yourself a favor and start playing. Expand
  34. Dec 29, 2012
    I am incredibly hard to impress and this free-to-play shooter impresses me greatly. The gunplay is tight and responsive. The kill times are a little short for my personal taste (they're pretty similar to CS kill times) but that certainly isn't a negative. It's fast paced which I really enjoy. The 'wall-hack' mechanic has an extremely positive side effect of keeping action up by directingI am incredibly hard to impress and this free-to-play shooter impresses me greatly. The gunplay is tight and responsive. The kill times are a little short for my personal taste (they're pretty similar to CS kill times) but that certainly isn't a negative. It's fast paced which I really enjoy. The 'wall-hack' mechanic has an extremely positive side effect of keeping action up by directing players towards each other, which someone like me really appreciates. The nade mechanics are on point, you can cook a nade, the throw arch is very intuitive, nothing feels wonky or out of place, the gun balance seems fine, granted I'm not lvl 10 yet so I haven't accessed the late game stuff. I mean I went into this game having extremely high standards for FPS and I am just amazed how satisfying the game experience is. I recommend. Expand
  35. Dec 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This by far is the best FPS on PC its very addictive, fast paced and this game offers the best graphics and guns also zombie studios including an exploding tomahawk! that is very creative and never thought of. Yes zombie studios were at the bottom with there blacklight tango down but with retribution i don't know what to say this game is just fantastic i recommend trying this game out Expand
  36. Nov 29, 2012
    It's as if COD and Killzone had a perfect baby, that's Blacklight: Retribution folks, a beautiful Directx 11 game that has some astounding customization like no other.
  37. Dec 13, 2012
    Esse jogo nem era para ser de graça. O grafico, a jogabilidade, a quantidade de itens que você pode usar para ir melhorando aos poucos, tudo muito bem feito! Espero que o jogo cresça mais ainda e que ganhe muitos fãs!
  38. Dec 24, 2012
    Free to play is a name that usually keeps people away from games. Thats because there's a sort of prejudice that there are no "free games" as well as the notion that success isn't possible without SOME payment, here's a game that disproves this theory, as victory is more than possible without special gear.
    The best thing that Blacklight: Retribution does is to make everything a
    The best thing that Blacklight: Retribution does is to make everything a side-grade, (With the plausible exception of incendiary ammunition, which gives 110% damage, but over time). this means that even the highest level items and most expensive heroes are only about as useful as the user is at managing them. Someone could have a cheap build with a powerful pre-made weapon and demolish any user with sheer skill and strategy. (I did use zen, to buy camouflages and a taunt)
    The HRV (The so called "Wallhacks") isn't something you've seen in FPS games often, the effect it causes is to increase game speed, avoid camping, and encourage players to take a strategic approach to the enemy. Thus overall improving every matches' dynamic flow.
    The biggest joy I have encountered in Blacklight, is playing enough of it to find the right weapon loadout for me. Each weapon part makes a big difference to how your weapon handles, and it's ideal to find that great balance between decent accurate stopping power and mobility.
    Map design is very interesting, most maps seem to have a style of play built around them, and the spawning algorithms are something to be impressed about, The chance of any enemy being behind your spawn are pretty much 99% against in all of my time with Blacklight. (The times it happened was in teeny tiny maps, such as Helodeck).
    One of the things i particularly reward this game on, is the fact that it has a massive collection of pre-made weapons, all available at level 1, all at the one day rent cost of 200GP (a match and 1/4 of play)
    This way, each day, you can try out as many guns as you'd like until you find one for you, and when you do, you can replicate the weapon using the customization menu. Armor is something most people complain about being too expensive, yet they are unaware that the standard armor is very good to start with, and a single armor rental can provide with survival over any bolt-action rifles. leaving you with enough speed to dodge the next bullet.
    Rather you want to be a huge sniper tank or a tiny speedy peashooter, Blacklight provides with the items for the task.
    Did you know it's free to play? what are you waiting for?
  39. Dec 29, 2012
    Very good game, it is free. It does have some in game purchases but it is not pay to win because these weapons, gear etc can be bought very easily using in game xp credits, and this is easy because the amount of credits it takes you to buy said weapon is about 2 games. Very good game and it is FREE!
  40. Apr 13, 2013
    Blacklight Retribution is an amazingly well made free-to-play shooter game. Controls are solid, player builds are very well balanced, pace is fast and exciting, maps are varied and interesting. Customization is deep and complex and very satisfying. Gaining experience points in matches to level up and unlock more gear is also very satisfying. One thing I love is the Great Graphics ItsBlacklight Retribution is an amazingly well made free-to-play shooter game. Controls are solid, player builds are very well balanced, pace is fast and exciting, maps are varied and interesting. Customization is deep and complex and very satisfying. Gaining experience points in matches to level up and unlock more gear is also very satisfying. One thing I love is the Great Graphics Its really Better then Blacklight: Tango Down Expand
  41. May 30, 2013
    Twice as better than Tango Down and the best online MP game Iv'e played next to CS! Here is hoping that the PS4 version will look TEN TIMES better when it comes out!
  42. Aug 22, 2013
    This game is NOT P2W! (pay to win)

You probably just suck, deal with it. The guns on the game are VERY customizable, and the reason that it seems P2W is because the players customize their guns into their playstyle. The other reviews are very one sided, the "Wallhack" in the game is called HRV, it is to prevent people from camping in corners, and locating your team, the
    This game is NOT P2W! (pay to win)

You probably just suck, deal with it.

The other reviews are very one sided, the "Wallhack" in the game is called HRV, it is to prevent people from camping in corners, and locating your team, the objectives, and any possible threats nearby.

There is no aimbot, that other reviewer is completely retarded.

The servers work fine, maybe your connection is bad?
    Maybe the servers were down for maintenance, or game was updating?

Also, it does not cost $10, it's 100% free.

People are ignorant and stupid, and I'm not going to be that person, so I'll say some bad things about the game.

The zombie mode doesn't have many maps, and it's really fun.

Wearing the best armor in the game only makes you have 50% more health, and it completely destroys the ability to run.

The Speed demon pants are way too awesome when you're using a SMG.

The guns don't sound that powerful, maybe its because of the future though.

And camo is cheap, but people assume you're a P2W if you have camo.
  43. Jun 23, 2013
    First Id like to say one thing, the people who scored this game a zero are not the people you should listen to here. the game is completely free, EVERYTHING in the game you can get without spending a dime, in fact you can get every weapon and every part permanent without spending a dollar. the only thing that you might spend money on is cosmetic stuff that provides no bonuses so there isFirst Id like to say one thing, the people who scored this game a zero are not the people you should listen to here. the game is completely free, EVERYTHING in the game you can get without spending a dime, in fact you can get every weapon and every part permanent without spending a dollar. the only thing that you might spend money on is cosmetic stuff that provides no bonuses so there is no way to pay money to better. This game also features smooth controls and plays great with a massive amount of customization Why is this only a 9? Because of 2 reasons, 1: there are issues with the servers at times 2: There are hackers and the publisher doesn't seem to do much about them and while there are not many they are quite annoying. Expand
  44. Jul 22, 2013
    great game incredible gun play, the game play in general good but need some tweaks at leas a great game recommended game for play sometimes for the people that know it and play it well know that very complete game
  45. Aug 9, 2013
    Its pretty simple really.
    Fantastic Weapon and Character Customization
    Good Number of Multiplayer/Co-op gamemodes
    Great Graphics
    Fun Maps
    Unique Gameplay style
    I'd give it a 10, it takes a long time to level up and is not easy to get new items if youre not willing to pay.
    If you are a pc gamer or just plan to get the ps4 DO TRY THIS GAME!
  46. Aug 24, 2013
    Blacklight Retribution automatically gets bonus points for being free and looking like something that AAA games would cower before. This game is free, deep and looks great-why pay a ton of cash if you want a mediocre, yet addictive multiplayer game; when you can get deep, engaging and addictive multiplayer for free? The feature that is lacking is the inclusion of a campaign or coop-seeingBlacklight Retribution automatically gets bonus points for being free and looking like something that AAA games would cower before. This game is free, deep and looks great-why pay a ton of cash if you want a mediocre, yet addictive multiplayer game; when you can get deep, engaging and addictive multiplayer for free? The feature that is lacking is the inclusion of a campaign or coop-seeing as how the controls and shooting mechanics are better than COD, but that's a minor gripe. The whole game contains; Standard, deep, COD style multiplayer, a tutorial and Bots. The character and weapon customisation is immense and the menu interface is great. Getting and staying in a match is easy, while the consecutive point steaks you can earn are inventive. The cyber, techno, future theme means that the game's sound track is great and that the environments have a distinct feel to the game. Obviously lag and bug issues come in, but most are removed and don't decrease the score.

In Short; Blacklight Retribution is the multiplayer game of the year, the only problem is the lack of a desired campaign or coop mode.
  47. Sep 30, 2013
    People who are giving a bad review really should play now now that its not pay to win anymore. It's totally free 2 play and zen only gets your items faster because you have to level up to unlock it with GP, but you can buy anything with GP which you can earn from games so i say you should review the game again if you havent already.
  48. Nov 5, 2013
    Even though this game is f2p, it is not in any way pay to win. The starter gun, known as the standard tactical knight, is a very well-balanced gun, and most gun parts, even those you get in the higher levels, are only to make the gun more suited towards your playstyle. If you are just starting, you would have no lacking compared to the higher level players except maybe in gear, but that isEven though this game is f2p, it is not in any way pay to win. The starter gun, known as the standard tactical knight, is a very well-balanced gun, and most gun parts, even those you get in the higher levels, are only to make the gun more suited towards your playstyle. If you are just starting, you would have no lacking compared to the higher level players except maybe in gear, but that is rather minor. What this game focuses more on is skill and experience, although I must admit that occasionally its a simple spray and pray situation. There are a few balance issues with some of the "cheap" gear that requires no real skill to use and get kills such as the exploding tomahawk and the stun shurikens, but they have been balanced recently to make them less of an annoyance. Overall, this game is one of the best fps I've ever played in my life and I always find time to play it because it's simply fun and engaging. Expand
  49. Nov 17, 2013
    This is actually one of the best shooters I have played on PC. The mechanics are recognizeable and similar to what you'd expect from a Call of Duty game, but it feels a lot more precise. When I shoot people in the head, im definitely shooting the in the head. Many CoD games Ive played, I shoot in the head and replay is enemy dying from an ankle shot, lol. This isnt the case withThis is actually one of the best shooters I have played on PC. The mechanics are recognizeable and similar to what you'd expect from a Call of Duty game, but it feels a lot more precise. When I shoot people in the head, im definitely shooting the in the head. Many CoD games Ive played, I shoot in the head and replay is enemy dying from an ankle shot, lol. This isnt the case with Blacklight. Customization of gear is solid, UI is solid, sound is solid. The only thing keeping from a 10 is Steam Achievements are broken. Expand
  50. Nov 29, 2013
    Blacklight is one of best shooters I have played, and belongs 3rd in my line of good fps games (Battlefield 3 being first at the moment, and TF2 being 2nd.) It is incredibly balanced for a free to play shooter, receivers having their own weaknesses and strengths. Customizations to the receivers are also balanced in my opinion, besides the scopes. Holoscopes are the best by far forBlacklight is one of best shooters I have played, and belongs 3rd in my line of good fps games (Battlefield 3 being first at the moment, and TF2 being 2nd.) It is incredibly balanced for a free to play shooter, receivers having their own weaknesses and strengths. Customizations to the receivers are also balanced in my opinion, besides the scopes. Holoscopes are the best by far for automatic receivers such as Assault Rifles, but then again, it's MY opinion. Graphics, sound of the guns firing are very satisfying. Nothing is like the sound of a light machine gun shooting in the morning. Those who say this is P2W is obviously deluded. For every level, you get temporary items so you don't NEED to buy ANYTHING for a while. The classic Assault Rifle (the receiver you start with) is very comparable to other receivers, making it balanced. An element that makes this game differ from other shooters is HRV. Some may say it's broken, others say it's a good because it changes the gameplay from other shooters, which is the POINT of the game. If you want to play without it, join a server that disables it or just go back to COD. This game is far from pay to win. Those who say it is obviously get owned by people of higher skill than them in the game Expand
  51. Jan 3, 2014
    best fps game today real next gen! amazing fun, thousand of weapons, it is not pay2win u have to play and improve your skill to win! PS4 version is little worse PC but they will improve soon Im sure, join TOP clan contact in game name xind
  52. Jan 27, 2014
    With a unique wall hack mechanic (HRV) that changes the gameplay in a good way, already making the game unique and nothing like other games, probably the best customization in any shooters ever, with lots of items, armor and gun customization, and a very satisfying feel to the guns, with kick and great sound, glitches are rare, the maps are colorful and varied compared to most brown andWith a unique wall hack mechanic (HRV) that changes the gameplay in a good way, already making the game unique and nothing like other games, probably the best customization in any shooters ever, with lots of items, armor and gun customization, and a very satisfying feel to the guns, with kick and great sound, glitches are rare, the maps are colorful and varied compared to most brown and grey and realistic fps today, and the game doesn't takes itself too seriously, this fast paced sci-fi multiplayer shooter is the best of its kind!

If anyone says this game is unfair or pay to win, they're either lying, or just stupid. From the very first levels, you get good items and so many way to get different temporary items for cheap or free. You get free stuff from just playing the game! And everything is very well balanced, with nothing you can only get with real money (ZEN) that will give you any advantage over other players.

I played many free shooters, and this is so far the most fun I had with one!
  53. Feb 19, 2014
    I luv this game. its awesome. it has coll graphics,god athmosphere, out **** standing weapons and then some. sure it can fell sometime like a pay-2-win and some people think that is a little to faced paced but i aint having none of that shieeet.
  54. May 19, 2014
    This game is NOT pay to win. If u train and play this game very much, u will get OP. I never bought Zen coins or what it's called! It's pretty easy if u win. Just train and play. Best Free-2-Play shooter ever! U can customize ur own weapon, so cool it is! Just try it guys! Just play little bit, and u say: WOW !!! This game is worth playing :D

1. Sep 16, 2012
    A more-than-capable shooter that is a blast to play. Shame about the pings. [Sept 2012, p.59]
  2. Aug 6, 2012
    Retribution is worth your time under one condition –you like online shooters, you don't get carried away with emotions and will treat this game as entertainment and not a fierce match to the death. Game mechanics is perfect, you can easily feel differences between weapons, even after a slight modification. The game uses Unreal Engine 3, is well optimized and looks nice, although the industrial style and sterile locations prevent you from being astonished. I'm not a hardcore shooter fan, so after a while – even with all the weapons and customization – I became bored. Retribution offers nothing new.
  3. Jul 30, 2012