8.6

1. Oct 17, 2013
    That whispering that I was hearing when I was walking in the darkness gave me the creeps. This game also is very big! Hours and hours of gameplay, even with Godmode on.
  2. Oct 29, 2012
    A game that was ahead of it's time when it hit the stores. Released during the same time frame as the viking epic "rune", it featured much crispier graphics, supperb level design and showcased a combat system that even today's games haven't managed to duplicate, blade of darkness is a must have for any third person melee combat lover.
    Mixing light exploration with a fantasy setting and,
    Mixing light exploration with a fantasy setting and, as above mentioned, some of the best combat mechanics ever developed, it's only real flaw can be pointed at the lack luster game story and overly simple multiplayer. But I garantee you'll have a blast hacking and slashing your way through hordes of goblins, orcs, trolls and many more dificult opponents, along with some trully challenging boss fights that today's games so often fail to deliver.
    Here's to hoping that someone will take this gem and release it via DLC on xbox live or PSN.
  3. Nov 7, 2012
    A game that inspires game developers to be game developers, not for being perfect in it's design, but to have obvious flaws that you just ignore due to simple fact that the concept of the game you're playing is amazing and fun. Hack n' Slash mayhem with a universe of options and combos using relatively simple key coordination makes it a user friendly wonder, and not to mention incrediblyA game that inspires game developers to be game developers, not for being perfect in it's design, but to have obvious flaws that you just ignore due to simple fact that the concept of the game you're playing is amazing and fun. Hack n' Slash mayhem with a universe of options and combos using relatively simple key coordination makes it a user friendly wonder, and not to mention incredibly satisfying when you manage a more complex combo to utterly destroy a more difficult enemy (Oh, and the AI is amazing for such an old game, best of its time for sure).

The game has flaws, such as forgettable, generic and uninteresting story, a few inconsistency bugs, sound glitches and few other flaws that really just show this game was made with a small team and limited founding, and because this is obvious, you can't help but be more impressed by how amazing the game is.

The replay value is off the chart, either be it by playing the same character a different route, or by playing another character entirely (with new combos and weapons to master!), you nearly always end up finishing the game 3-4 times before getting saturated by it, and even then each time you look at the game on your shelf, you nearly always have to re instal it and repeat the adventure.

For it's time, very clean graphics and actually impressive maps to explore, you always end up having a favorite map to cruise around and love because of the challenges each one of them place individually, mind you it's not over the top mind blowing beautiful, but I'd say it's a honest portrayal of a fantasy world, that leaves you well soaked in to the world you're playing without getting too confused of where you are, or where to go, or whats going on. (problems often found with more recent fantasy titles that over hype the beauty of a world, only to make it confusing and frustrating) I actually find this to be a more important feature then most people would give it credit for, because it adds to the replayability of the game, and it heavily compensates the games lack of depth and story.

Amazing soundtrack. The few bugs the game has fails in comparison to decapitating a minotaur with a theme that enhances your feat to demi-god stature, even though there are a lot of silent moments in the game where the footsteps of your character is all you hear, the key moments where music kicks in and action starts makes key fights much more dramatic and enjoyable. (After all, hearing the "end of days" orchestral piece each time you step on a goblin would get annoying)

A must have game for game lovers, a textbook of how to develop a game above it's time for developers, and a piece of gaming glory that should remain in history as one of the best games ever, and definitely a hack n' slash that would put many, if not all recent titles, to shame. 9 out of 10
  4. Aug 17, 2015
    A true classic for its time and still is very much enjoyable today this game set the standard there is even a cult following for the game.
    Such a shame the Spanish company rebel act studios closed soon after ..... this for me was the most immersive and atmospheric game i ever played never mind how difficult it was to play ...that what made it very challenging.....such a shame the game failed because of marketing ..THIS IS A TRUE CLASSIC

I quote ..

This game is the first and only game, which can perform water reflection wave effect only using Directx 7.0 hardware (Geforce 2 or Radeon 7500; perhaps even Nvidia Riva TNT is enough to perform water effects at the same quality level like in DirectX 8 or higher).

However, the game failed to become popular, mainly due to bad marketing. Other reasons for the relatively low sales were the untimely publication (neither the code nor the storyline had been finalized) and the lack of gameplay difficulty levels - the game proved to be too difficult on "factory" defaults for many players. Nonetheless it did establish a large cult following that still exists today.
  5. Aug 5, 2014
    This is a long forgotten gem. I remember struggling with it when it came out back in 2001, fighting hard for my life, learning new combos with unique weapons and fighting my way through the hordes of incredibly hard creatures set in the dark fantasy setting, until I finally reached the end, filled with a huge satisfaction that I went successfully through something truly hardcore. Wait aThis is a long forgotten gem. I remember struggling with it when it came out back in 2001, fighting hard for my life, learning new combos with unique weapons and fighting my way through the hordes of incredibly hard creatures set in the dark fantasy setting, until I finally reached the end, filled with a huge satisfaction that I went successfully through something truly hardcore. Wait a second, does this sound familiar? Yup, Dark Souls of the previous decade. 9/10 Expand
  6. Sep 8, 2014
    The game is just perfect! Blade of Darkness is one of the best hack&slash games ever created for PC. It has many dozens of special attacks, dozens of weapons, and thousands of enemies waiting to be killed by you or to kill you most violent ways :).
    The game's engine was the most advanced at the time of release, because it supported dynamic light & shadows much earlier than any other game engine ever. When you see a torch, you'll just stay and watch how beautiful it is.
    The sound tracks is gorgeous, so you'll enjoy it for sure.
    All in all, it's a masterpiece. The disc version of the game is very hard to find these days, but the digital version is available on GOG.
  7. Nov 26, 2014
    This game redefined the Action-RPGs and till today games that approach its concept are venerated among their fans, but none of them became a true equivalent of what this masterpiece meant. A game that used the best technology available in a dark Nordic mythology of endless loneliness with dynamic shadows and scary sounds, even the long silences could be disturbing when you are risking yourThis game redefined the Action-RPGs and till today games that approach its concept are venerated among their fans, but none of them became a true equivalent of what this masterpiece meant. A game that used the best technology available in a dark Nordic mythology of endless loneliness with dynamic shadows and scary sounds, even the long silences could be disturbing when you are risking your life at each step. From 2001 till today the 3D environment and models looks lovely designed and with mods is perfectly playable, a must have to each fan of Gothic, Dark Souls, Lords of the Fallen, and all kind of those games in which each strike counts. Expand
  8. SaidM.
    Jul 3, 2004
    Best hack-n-slash game ever.
  9. WilkinsonK.
    Jul 6, 2006
    It just goes to show that the critics havn't got a clue. As a major game player on all formats Blade of Darkness still stands head and shoulders above other medevil fighting games. There are no stupid numbers above opponents heads and enemies fill the screen to give the feel of an actual combat. The lighting and graphic design are superb, this game should definately be remade for the It just goes to show that the critics havn't got a clue. As a major game player on all formats Blade of Darkness still stands head and shoulders above other medevil fighting games. There are no stupid numbers above opponents heads and enemies fill the screen to give the feel of an actual combat. The lighting and graphic design are superb, this game should definately be remade for the latest computers, if only Codemasters were still around. Expand
  10. Adrian
    Jul 14, 2005
    Best medieval game ever, Lot of weapons, lot of combos (more with mods) and a unique system of combat that is the best ever made, you hit where you want legs head arms.
  11. SkunkdfS.k
    Apr 26, 2004
    My favourite game.
  12. Dwain
    Apr 11, 2005
    I love cutting things off!! iz funny.
  13. ANGELM.
    Oct 17, 2004
    THE BEST GAME EVER PLAYED.
  14. Jun 3, 2011
    I hate those review magazines..THIS WAS THE BEST F*CKIN AWESOME hack and slash 3rd person game of its time.Period.A TRUE LEGEND!!!The shadows were overwhelming,the music was trully epic,the battles were really hard,the enemies were f*cking awesome and brutal,the fatalities differed if you hit different parts of the body..pure awesomeness!!!Although mainly underrated by the press,i rememberI hate those review magazines..THIS WAS THE BEST F*CKIN AWESOME hack and slash 3rd person game of its time.Period.A TRUE LEGEND!!!The shadows were overwhelming,the music was trully epic,the battles were really hard,the enemies were f*cking awesome and brutal,the fatalities differed if you hit different parts of the body..pure awesomeness!!!Although mainly underrated by the press,i remember PC magazine gave it a 90%!!!Thank god i saw it on the package and bought it immediately!(ps.PC magazine of that time was really nasty on scoring.. ;) ) Expand
  15. Feb 7, 2014
    This is one of the rare games that put you in a truly battle for life and death, and give you a real reason the continue to play over. The only games that have such atmosphere is Gothic series and Souls series. This is a game that we rarely seen our days because people have become so nobs and lure for easy games, where you are the only supreme hero with infinite powers that save the world.This is one of the rare games that put you in a truly battle for life and death, and give you a real reason the continue to play over. The only games that have such atmosphere is Gothic series and Souls series. This is a game that we rarely seen our days because people have become so nobs and lure for easy games, where you are the only supreme hero with infinite powers that save the world. Such a shame for our future of gaming. If this is the future of gaming, then I choose the old class games like this one. Expand
  16. Nucleus
    Sep 10, 2005
    Only the new Prince of Persia games (Sands of Time, Warrior Within) have equalled this brilliant melee fighting game. The fighting system resemblences games like Virtual Fighter, in that you have dozens of moves you can use and you need to use them wisely to survive. Simply hacking the left mouse button will do you no good (like in Rune). It gives great pleasure to outwit a horde of Only the new Prince of Persia games (Sands of Time, Warrior Within) have equalled this brilliant melee fighting game. The fighting system resemblences games like Virtual Fighter, in that you have dozens of moves you can use and you need to use them wisely to survive. Simply hacking the left mouse button will do you no good (like in Rune). It gives great pleasure to outwit a horde of monsters with series of cool moves. This is a must have for pro gamers, as it is hard, rewarding and long. Expand
  17. GaryM.
    Nov 17, 2005
    This is a classic melee fighting game, begging to be rediscovered (or even better, sequelized or remade). Terrific bloody combat, great weapons, smart enemies, tons of gore, huge levels, tons of moves, four playable characters, great lighting and shadow effects, and awesome music. What more do you want? Blade of Darkness makes games like Rune and Enclave look like kiddie games.
  18. SallyJ.
    Aug 3, 2006
    I am only now playing Blade of Darkness. For anyone reading this, this game still is better then most of it's modern counterparts. If you're not a "eew the graphics are not as good as Crysis-whiner", PLAY THIS THING!!!! One note on the audio though: There's a reason the music is fantastic. Most music tracks are live orchestra loops, coming from a premade CD. These loops can I am only now playing Blade of Darkness. For anyone reading this, this game still is better then most of it's modern counterparts. If you're not a "eew the graphics are not as good as Crysis-whiner", PLAY THIS THING!!!! One note on the audio though: There's a reason the music is fantastic. Most music tracks are live orchestra loops, coming from a premade CD. These loops can be found in numerous budget titles. With this in mind, you could say the audio is the only thing in this game not up to par with the rest. It still is functional though. Also, these loops are converted to mono, degrading the loops in quality. in Stereo, they sound FAR better. I do have one more thing to say: the loops are "beefed up" with additional sampled instruments. Here you can see a hint of the "composer's quality". These additional melodies are outstanding. The tracks where he added horn melodies dubbed by a tenor singer are outstanding en very immersive. Let's hope the composer did better in other games. Conclusively: This game is worth every penny. Pick it up, you WILL NOT regret it!!! Expand
  19. TomDeV.
    Apr 4, 2003
    Yes, it's not the ultimate game. But for me, it comes very close. The general atmosphere of the levels, the design of the textures, monsters etc, make this a great game. On top of that the fighting system that uses wepaon specific combos and a lot of timing your attacks, makes this a VERY great game. While the four characters (Knight, Barbarian, Amazone, Dwarf) only have one Yes, it's not the ultimate game. But for me, it comes very close. The general atmosphere of the levels, the design of the textures, monsters etc, make this a great game. On top of that the fighting system that uses wepaon specific combos and a lot of timing your attacks, makes this a VERY great game. While the four characters (Knight, Barbarian, Amazone, Dwarf) only have one different level each, they all have their own set of weapons. The most fun part of the game is training yourself to use a huge combo and apply it to the goblins at hand. I love this game, the closest I can find now is Enclave, but that does not have half the charm or wit that BOD has. Expand
  20. RyanB
    Dec 25, 2009
    At present I'm playing through my 6th or 7th or so playthough. I truly cannot remember how many times I played this game, it is that great. This is the only time in my life I've played any game so much and yet loved every second of it. If you've played fighting games and have always wanted something more deep and thoughtful, look no further. Above all else thing game At present I'm playing through my 6th or 7th or so playthough. I truly cannot remember how many times I played this game, it is that great. This is the only time in my life I've played any game so much and yet loved every second of it. If you've played fighting games and have always wanted something more deep and thoughtful, look no further. Above all else thing game excells at it's melee combat. Far better than Dark messiah and Oblivion is a joke to this game. You don't just randomly attack your enemy clicking the attack button, every swipe of your sword must be a planned maneuver. If you attack to early, or you use the wrong combo you could easily find yourself in a bad situation. That brings me to the other incredible feature of this game, the AI. In most games your AI will simply run at you attacking wildly. Well there are some enemies that do that here, but those are the worst. Knights for example are some of the hardest, they will strafe slowly around you shield always at the ready only attacking when it is absolutely best for them to hit you. The AI dictates the difficulty, unfortunately there are some over sights by the developers and some of the enemies they seemed to design to be "hard". I'm talking about golems, they're attacks are some of the easiest to dodge and because of that they are easy to take down. But then there are moments where the AI shines through, enemies with health potions will wait until they are far enough away from you to heal instead blindly healing. Oh yes, healing takes time, it is part of the strategy of the game. You always must ask yourself, heal now or risk having to risk healing in battle(bad). And potions are not easy to come by. Even as a veteran I found my self barely able to stay alive as a dwarf nearing the end of the game. The game scales with difficulty perfectly. Although at first the game may seem clunky and complicated, it eventually unfolds into an epic adventure with you as the hero. Now if you do not like melee combat, I mean real melee combat as I described you'll get bored or frustrated very quickly. There is archery, however it is essentially pointless because you can do maybe 50dmg with a bow to enemies with 1000+hp that charge at you. So if you like a good, real, in-depth melee hack and slash game Severance is definitely for you. And for those who were hoping for a sequel, I hope I will be able to work one out. I'm an upcoming independent developer and I'm looking into making a remake of Severance, this time with archery and without the lock-on control. Expand
  21. Nov 8, 2015
    This is one of the best games I have ever played long time ago, great fighting game, level up and fighting skills you learn, legendary swords are amazing, you will visit many places with lot of enemies and skeletons, that will leave unforgettable adventure PC game
  22. Jan 20, 2017
    This spanish game has probably the best real time combat ever. The most challenging and the most pleasurable. Slightly better combat than Rune, Dark Souls and Mount and Blade, the other three real time best combat systems, and a universe better than the rest.

The original and immersive atmosphere, full of avestic, old iranian references is a good point too. The rest is decent. But

The rest is decent. But the combat system is a must try.
  23. Nov 3, 2017
    One of the best PC slashers ever made, Blade of Darkness has amazing and brutal swordplay and dark atmosphere. Visuals look decent even today, 16+ years after it's release. The only flaw is absolute absence of the plot, but you won't even notice it while decapitating goblins and painting the walls with orcs' blood.

1. PC Gamer
    Successfully mixes numerous gameplay styles in one compelling package. [May 2001, p.84]
  2. It's got some problems and takes some time to get into, but it should otherwise appeal to players who've enjoyed previous hack-and-slash action games, or those who like the idea of them.
  3. Low "immersion factor". Two-bit, two-frame main character animation. Sluggish and awkward combat mode. Completely unoriginal puzzles. RPG elements are nothing more than a decoration - something to put on a box.