8.9

1. Jun 3, 2011
    I hate those review magazines..THIS WAS THE BEST F*CKIN AWESOME hack and slash 3rd person game of its time.Period.A TRUE LEGEND!!!The shadows were overwhelming,the music was trully epic,the battles were really hard,the enemies were f*cking awesome and brutal,the fatalities differed if you hit different parts of the body..pure awesomeness!!!Although mainly underrated by the press,i remember PC magazine gave it a 90%!!!Thank god i saw it on the package and bought it immediately!(ps.PC magazine of that time was really nasty on scoring.. ;) ) Expand
  2. Jan 13, 2014
    One of the best games ever created.

+By far the best melee combat ever, (conan like) atmosphere, 4 different characters with different weapons and combos, blood and gore, good enemies with different tactics (knights fight carefully while skeletons charge blindly etc. ), graphics (at time but still good today, aged well), game is also difficult and long.
  3. Oct 17, 2013
    That whispering that I was hearing when I was walking in the darkness gave me the creeps. This game also is very big! Hours and hours of gameplay, even with Godmode on.
  4. Nov 7, 2012
    A game that inspires game developers to be game developers, not for being perfect in it's design, but to have obvious flaws that you just ignore due to simple fact that the concept of the game you're playing is amazing and fun. Hack n' Slash mayhem with a universe of options and combos using relatively simple key coordination makes it a user friendly wonder, and not to mention incredibly satisfying when you manage a more complex combo to utterly destroy a more difficult enemy (Oh, and the AI is amazing for such an old game, best of its time for sure).

The game has flaws, such as forgettable, generic and uninteresting story, a few inconsistency bugs, sound glitches and few other flaws that really just show this game was made with a small team and limited founding, and because this is obvious, you can't help but be more impressed by how amazing the game is.

The replay value is off the chart, either be it by playing the same character a different route, or by playing another character entirely (with new combos and weapons to master!), you nearly always end up finishing the game 3-4 times before getting saturated by it, and even then each time you look at the game on your shelf, you nearly always have to re instal it and repeat the adventure.

For it's time, very clean graphics and actually impressive maps to explore, you always end up having a favorite map to cruise around and love because of the challenges each one of them place individually, mind you it's not over the top mind blowing beautiful, but I'd say it's a honest portrayal of a fantasy world, that leaves you well soaked in to the world you're playing without getting too confused of where you are, or where to go, or whats going on. (problems often found with more recent fantasy titles that over hype the beauty of a world, only to make it confusing and frustrating) I actually find this to be a more important feature then most people would give it credit for, because it adds to the replayability of the game, and it heavily compensates the games lack of depth and story.

Amazing soundtrack. The few bugs the game has fails in comparison to decapitating a minotaur with a theme that enhances your feat to demi-god stature, even though there are a lot of silent moments in the game where the footsteps of your character is all you hear, the key moments where music kicks in and action starts makes key fights much more dramatic and enjoyable. (After all, hearing the "end of days" orchestral piece each time you step on a goblin would get annoying)

A must have game for game lovers, a textbook of how to develop a game above it's time for developers, and a piece of gaming glory that should remain in history as one of the best games ever, and definitely a hack n' slash that would put many, if not all recent titles, to shame. 9 out of 10
  5. Feb 7, 2014
    This is one of the rare games that put you in a truly battle for life and death, and give you a real reason the continue to play over. The only games that have such atmosphere is Gothic series and Souls series. This is a game that we rarely seen our days because people have become so nobs and lure for easy games, where you are the only supreme hero with infinite powers that save the world. Such a shame for our future of gaming. If this is the future of gaming, then I choose the old class games like this one. Expand
  6. Aug 5, 2014
    This is a long forgotten gem. I remember struggling with it when it came out back in 2001, fighting hard for my life, learning new combos with unique weapons and fighting my way through the hordes of incredibly hard creatures set in the dark fantasy setting, until I finally reached the end, filled with a huge satisfaction that I went successfully through something truly hardcore. Wait a second, does this sound familiar? Yup, Dark Souls of the previous decade. 9/10 Expand
  7. Sep 8, 2014
    The game is just perfect! Blade of Darkness is one of the best hack&slash games ever created for PC. It has many dozens of special attacks, dozens of weapons, and thousands of enemies waiting to be killed by you or to kill you most violent ways :).
    The game's engine was the most advanced at the time of release, because it supported dynamic light & shadows much earlier than any other game
    engine ever. When you see a torch, you'll just stay and watch how beautiful it is.
    The sound tracks is gorgeous, so you'll enjoy it for sure.
    All in all, it's a masterpiece. The disc version of the game is very hard to find these days, but the digital version is available on GOG.

1. Successfully mixes numerous gameplay styles in one compelling package. [May 2001, p.84]
  2. It's got some problems and takes some time to get into, but it should otherwise appeal to players who've enjoyed previous hack-and-slash action games, or those who like the idea of them.
  3. Low "immersion factor". Two-bit, two-frame main character animation. Sluggish and awkward combat mode. Completely unoriginal puzzles. RPG elements are nothing more than a decoration - something to put on a box.