6.4

1. Jul 5, 2011
    Never played the "Blitz" mode - only board game mode and well, it's a faithful recreation of the Blood Bowl board game - it does however have a couple of major flaws. 1: If you own the Dark Elves edition this doesn't really add anything new, some more (arguably unbalanced - *coughs Khemri*) teams but that's about it. 2: the RNG is absolutely, totally broken. The odds on rolling a doubleNever played the "Blitz" mode - only board game mode and well, it's a faithful recreation of the Blood Bowl board game - it does however have a couple of major flaws. 1: If you own the Dark Elves edition this doesn't really add anything new, some more (arguably unbalanced - *coughs Khemri*) teams but that's about it. 2: the RNG is absolutely, totally broken. The odds on rolling a double red skull should be 1 in 36 (effectively double 1) - so to re-roll and get a double red skull AGAIN should be 1 in 1296... I've had that happen twice in a single game before. At times it just feels like the game it out to get you with statistically highly improbable rolls, normally just when you need to roll anything BUT. It gets to the point where you daren't take ANY risks at all because you KNOW you'll fail. Now I remember getting crappy rolls on the board game but seriously - the PC version seems to take the piss - so it goes between being a brilliant, faithful recreation of arguably the best game GW ever made to being the most frustrating, irritating piece of crap ever invented - normally bouncing between those two extremes several times within the same game. Only worth buying if you enjoyed the board game, have a masochistic streak and don't already own the Dark Elves edition (or you pick it up on Steam for say £10). Expand
  2. Dec 26, 2011
    If you are looking for a faithful recreation of the board game, it's a great game. If you don't know the board game rules, which have been getting more complicated over the years, forget about it. The game doesn't even try to explain them to yourself. There's no help at all. Only a clumsy tutorial which barely touches the surface.
  3. Jan 9, 2011
    Legendary Edition, just like Dark Elves Edition, is just one more Blood Bowl that should have been a DLC to add to the original Blood Bowl release and not a full priced game that makes any previous purchase regrettable and very painful by money-gobbling Games Workshop. Played as the turn-by-turn strategy game is like the table-top game without having all the drunken friends and fun punLegendary Edition, just like Dark Elves Edition, is just one more Blood Bowl that should have been a DLC to add to the original Blood Bowl release and not a full priced game that makes any previous purchase regrettable and very painful by money-gobbling Games Workshop. Played as the turn-by-turn strategy game is like the table-top game without having all the drunken friends and fun pun some dr.Perv(ert) can think. Expand
  4. Jun 13, 2012
    Blood Bowl: LE seems to take a perverse pleasure in kicking me in the balls whenever I play it... which is in keeping with its nature, I guess. I could play a game as the orks' best team against the worst halfling team, and I'd always miss tackles and wind up breaking my guys neck, while the halflings basically made all their tackles, catches and interceptions. Something is definitely upBlood Bowl: LE seems to take a perverse pleasure in kicking me in the balls whenever I play it... which is in keeping with its nature, I guess. I could play a game as the orks' best team against the worst halfling team, and I'd always miss tackles and wind up breaking my guys neck, while the halflings basically made all their tackles, catches and interceptions. Something is definitely up with the RNG, and it's not Nuffle. I'm not a fan of real life football and I've never played BB tabletop, but the game has some promise if you're a masochist. Expand
  5. Oct 6, 2011
    TL;DR: Multiplayer: 8/10, Solo: 2/10. Playing Single Player is 80% frustrating, 20% fun.

Let me begin by saying I am a veteran Blood Bowl player and GW gamer, so I am not new to the game, and I agree with the clear statistical oddities I find when it comes to rolls made in solo matches AGAINST the AI. I emphasize the against because I find Exhibition matches with two human players, or multiplayer games that I've tested so far, don't have these same statistical anomalies. What's worse and doesn't bode well for keeping new players is the community noticing/noting that in a campaign one must simply bare with the first 10-15 games because the AI doesn't know how to properly level their players, at which point one wins simply by being human. I do agree that the AI is designed to be a competent, experienced player (but also one who carries blessed dice), but that's not what everyone is looking for, and that's not characteristic of the average player. Easy should pruposefully give greater statistical advantage to the player on purpose for those who want to win every match 3-0. Medium should be statistically even but still typically end 2-1 given a human player should be able to defeat an AI player on Medium. Hard should represent those who wish the challenge of a statistically advantaged (or even just strategically advantaged) AI, and one should fight for a 1-1 draw. If a patch were developed that solved the oddities that seem prevalent and balanced out the difficulty levels, I'd be much more willing to put this review into the Green, but for now I have put this game aside unless someone is interested in a multiplayer match. That being said, I do agree the UI, the Manual, the Commentary, the Graphics, the Sounds are all MUCH better than I was expecting, so kudos on that, and the transferring of everything we loved about Blood Bowl into an electronic form is an amazing gift for first timers and those who do get tired of all that tabletop math. For that I give infinite props to GW and Cyanide. Just FIX the AI Guys! Come on! =)

So in solo-player what we have here is a game with an obvious core of devoted players (many of which I have noticed in the forums are WAY too quick to chastise new players, a problem tragically endemic to GW player groups) that should have been an easy 2+ pass for a Touchdown, but unfortunately the AI decided to roll a 1. Fortunately, if it's another player on that side, then enjoy your Touchdown, I'm sure your friend/foe will enjoy their own soon enough.
  6. Mar 19, 2012
    This is a bit of a niche game, but I've enjoyed the 30+ hours that I've put into it so far. For me, it's a game where I can just relax, turn the in-game sound off, play whatever music I want in the background, and move some fantastical football players around the field. Blood Bowl is meant to be played as a turn based strategy game, just like the board game (which I've never played), andThis is a bit of a niche game, but I've enjoyed the 30+ hours that I've put into it so far. For me, it's a game where I can just relax, turn the in-game sound off, play whatever music I want in the background, and move some fantastical football players around the field. Blood Bowl is meant to be played as a turn based strategy game, just like the board game (which I've never played), and the pc version feels a lot like an animated board game. It even has dice rolls that determine whether you do things like catch a pass, dodge a tackle, or even pick the ball up off the ground. Because these rolls are based on player attributes, and can go wrong for you at any moment during the game, there is bit of a frustration factor here. The learning curve for this game also seemed very high. Still, once I figured out how things generally worked, I found myself playing a deep and enjoyable (if not perfect) strategy game. Expand
  7. Mar 22, 2013
    The Positive: For a fan of turn based strategy games Blood Bowl was a breath of fresh air. It is a really engaging way to use a familiar set of rules (grid based combat) due to the football 'gimmick'. Additionally the consequences of play (experience, income, injuries and death) have very real effects on the game and your strategy has very tangible effects on your teams success or failureThe Positive: For a fan of turn based strategy games Blood Bowl was a breath of fresh air. It is a really engaging way to use a familiar set of rules (grid based combat) due to the football 'gimmick'. Additionally the consequences of play (experience, income, injuries and death) have very real effects on the game and your strategy has very tangible effects on your teams success or failure all exciting for a fan of hardcore games.

The Negative: The game is glitchy, it is laborious, it is ponderous. The controls are clunky, the dice rolls can feel incredibly arbitrary, the game sometimes feels poorly designed. Many of the features seem under thought out and/or irrelevant to winning. The teams don't seems that well balanced. It can be hard to really feel like you are using your time on a game that has any pay off. The tournament and campaign modes both feel more sandboxy than they need to. Takeaway: Worth picking up on sale if and only if you are a fan of turn-based-RPG-strategy-type games and want a change of pace. Otherwise there are better places to spend your money and time.
  8. Feb 5, 2012
    This game has some intense strategy, and some fun customization, but the gameplay is choppy, and there aren't enough things to do once you get border of playing match after match after match. Maybe you can go online and play match after match after match, or try another game mode that will have you playing match after match after match. What I'm getting at here: Blood Bowl is an initiallyThis game has some intense strategy, and some fun customization, but the gameplay is choppy, and there aren't enough things to do once you get border of playing match after match after match. Maybe you can go online and play match after match after match, or try another game mode that will have you playing match after match after match. What I'm getting at here: Blood Bowl is an initially fun game that loses its novelty slowly but surely. Expand
  9. Oct 17, 2013
    After you get past the tutorial section where the announcers sound like Arnold Rimmer recounting his Risk victories what you actually get to is a really enjoyable turn based fantasy sports game with a lot of tactics and depth. Great stuff.
  10. Jul 22, 2013
    Blood ball is very good tabletop game but this port on PC is pretty bad. AI is really bad, camera is and very large number of bugs. The saving point of this game is multiplayer in classic blood bowl mod, but vs AI it really sucks. The RTS mode is also total as everyone expected.
  11. Jun 10, 2014
    Interesante juego en el que se transfiere tanto las mecánicas del juegos de mesa original como las que se acercan más a los videojuegos actuales. Buen entrenamiento para el offline.

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Feb 24, 2011
    American football without the Americans but with a lot of fantasy characters. It's not exactly the simplest game in the world but if you try it you'll have hours of fun. [Issue#200]
  2. PC Format