7.7

1. Nov 1, 2013
    Blood of the Werewolf is not easy, but there's a great sense of accomplishment as you beat each level and boss. Really fun indie game, great sense of style, really interesting level design (some of the earlier enemies and areas are a bit repetitive), but hope they do more with this game and brand. Also, what the heck is Midnight City and why is their logo so great?
  2. Nov 1, 2013
    Have enjoyed playing the game over the last week, really like the storyline, like love the character art. Very much looking forward to the title releasing on consoles.
  3. Nov 1, 2013
    Stumbled on Wolf on the Steam Halloween sale. Surprised the hell out of me. I wish other titles had the in air control jump that this game has. I beat the game in about 6 hours but have been straining my thumbs to get S rankings on all of the levels. I love the hidden upgrades. Work for it kids!

Good: Excellent controls. HIDDEN UPGRADES!!!!
    Bad: Some bad VO, The Bosses were a little too easy.
  4. Nov 1, 2013
    Fun indie game, definitely has shades of old-school games in there. Beat the heck out of me for a while, but feels good to get past roadblocks and onto the next stage.
  5. Nov 1, 2013
    Picked this up for $5 on the Not On Steam Sale. There is a lot of game here. Don't be scared by all of the "really difficult" talk. The art is refreshing and doesn't hurt my eyes like every retro remake.

Did I mention classic monsters. So cool.
  6. Nov 2, 2013
    A challenge, but very fun!!! The art is incredible, and I love the little details that the developers included like menu graphics and animations. Definitely recommend!
  7. Nov 5, 2013
    This game was a lot of fun and definitely brought me back to my SNES days. The game feels a lot like some of the classics like Ghosts & Ghouls and Demon's Crest. The levels do get increasingly more challenging. I had to play the game on the lowest settings (being that my PC is garbage) and experienced some minor issues. It wasn't enough to really hurt my experience. If you're a fan of old-school style platformers, I'd recommend this game Expand
  8. Nov 8, 2013
    Blood of the Werewolf is a fun, but very hard, game. It follows the format of the classic platformers with a nice twist by allowing the player to be both human and wolf. The areas where you change between the forms is controlled by the game (when in moonlight, you become the wolf) and those areas are well designed for each character type.

I think this game is well worth checking out,
    but be sure to play with a controller! Playing with the keyboard and mouse is very hard at times. Expand
  9. May 29, 2014
    So, I bought the game for $0.99 upon seeing TotalBiscuit's video, and been playing the game for over 13 hours, trying to finish. I never managed to complete it because the savegames corrupted before the last level and I lost all progress. Which I have no intention to repeat because the difficulty of this game is fair too unfair.
    The game requires (after a certain point) very precise
    platforming while you continuously get shot at by fireballs that knockback you 2 meters away making you die on the 1hitko stuff right below (spikes/rotating gears, ecc), while enemies try to kill you from above, front and below.
    The ugprade system is both completely useless (because it's fairly difficult to find and get to the upgrade badges and because stuff like HP upgrade is useless after halfway through the game because everything just oneshots you, either directly or indirectly by pushing you into 1hko stuff below) and critical (wolf shooting bullets skill is very important in the skyway level to be able to go through the flying gargoyles in the very small amount of time given to the player). It should have been fully based on the badges the player gathers, instead of requiring to find the upgrades themselves.
    The combination of difficult platforming, enemies and knocknback from those damn projectiles means that, as Totalbiscuit often says, you keep dieing because the whole damn thing is based on luck rather than skill, so you die because of the game, not because you suck.
    Which, as said above, makes the game completely unfair in it's difficulty, making it frustrating and annoying.

Which is then coupled with bugs everywhere, to the point of, as happened to me, losing the whole damn save and losing dozens of hours of hell.
    Even at $0.99 I still regret my purchase.
  10. Jul 26, 2014
    The controls, artwork, and music are excellent. The voice acting is embarrassing. The gameplay is polished, though often bland and one-dimensional. The main challenge of the game is the environmental hazards; most of the enemies are mindless punching bags. A few of the projectile hit boxes are annoyingly disproportionate to the artwork. The game is challenging but I didn't find it as hard as most of the reviews make it sound. There were a few parts that took me several minutes of retries to get past, but the checkpoints are numerous so there is rarely redundant trekking when you die. Maybe the latest update added more checkpoints? Expand
  11. Aug 21, 2014
    Blood of the Werewolf seems promising at first, then you realize that it has one serious problem, one problem so big that it ruins the entire game and you wonder why it was allowed to release this way. When you get hit, you BOUNCE BACK and die. This seems normal in platformers, but here, you're playing what is supposed to be a giant werewolf...

You have a generous life bar and can
    normally take a lot of hits, but it means little when a tiny mouse sized bat can make you, a huge werewolf, bounce back midair, fall into spikes, then die. It will seriously pi$$ you off to no end how things so small can make a big powerful werewolf die like this. You don't feel powerful as you should, and naturally, when you hit enemies, they have no reaction to it until they die. So anything that hurts you bounces you(regardless of size), but you can't do the same to anything else, even when they are MUCH smaller. This is not how you should do a large werewolf. They got it backwards. This game really should have been done without bounce back because you are supposed to be a powerful werewolf! You should be knocking back enemies! They could at least have it be this way in Human form, but not Wolf form. No no no, it's like this in either. You think you're actually tougher as a Werewolf? You're not. Not really. And that's a bloody shame, totally wasting the potential of the game.

That's not to say the penalties for death are severe... you just respawn some ways back, however many times it takes to survive. There are no "Game Over"s. I'm glad they at least got that right, but the respawn points sometimes baffle me. Sometimes you have to go painfully long sequences to get the next one, struggling through many deaths, only to see another respawn point a few feet after the last one(?) They are either spaced too far apart, or are almost within spitting distance of each other for no apparent reason because that small gap offered no real threats. Many times you will die so much that you will just try to suicide run to the next respawn point because there's no real incentive to do well... As long as you GET there, you'll be able to continune. While this is a form of exploiting, it'll be done mainly because the player will be so sick of repeating the same area so many times, which is because you constantly bounce them into shít and kill them. We should die because our health runs out, not because you sent a barrage of tiny bats our way until 1 finally hit us then slung us into spikes. The word is "cheap death", and this game is LOADED with it.

While I liked the graphics, scenery, and classic gothic characters in the game... the story and how it's presented really bothers me. You're a werewolf mother on her way to rescue her kidnapped child. Is that the best they could come up with? All these gothic horror characters and they made a Super Mario plot? You may as well have just "not" had a story if you couldn't do better than that. It's comparable with Mario's "rescue the princess!" epic story lines. It's a small complaint. What's really stupid here is that inbetween levels she narrates to her child. She is constantly talking to her child(not the audience), which clearly can't hear anything she is saying. Imagine if Mario was constantly narrating between levels as if he had an active conversation with Peach and she could somehow hear him. She isn't talking to you, she's talking to someone far away that can't possibly hear her, just out in the open air. I've no idea why she's doing it or why this is in the game. Narration to the open air should be done to the audience! The voice acting in this game is good enough, especially the main woman, who does the pointless narrating as if she's trying to win the next oscar, but that doesn't change the fact that it's pointless. She's very good at voicing this werewolf woman, but there's still no reason for it to be there! They could have just saved themselves the trouble and "not" had any of it. Unless you like listening to this insane woman dribble on to her child(that can't hear her), you're just going to skip all of it, which kind of defeats the point of it being there, doesn't it?

Ultimately, this is not a game I can recommend. If you want my recommendation, go get yourself Rogue Legacy instead. This... I didn't even play to the end. After I write this, I'll be uninstalling and the time you see for me on it will be it. It's so frustrating once you get as far as I did, not really having fun anymore, and for no real reward except another pointless narration. The only real fun I had on this were the boss fights, which are good, I admit, quite fun, but they are far and few between. After a while, they alone weren't incentive enough for me to suffer through the rest of the game. Steam is not at a shortage for platformers these days, and I think you are simply better off with something else.
    -Drain (Steam)
  12. Feb 17, 2014
    This one of the hardest games I've ever played, and a fun homage to old-school platformers. The hand-drawn art is gorgeous, and the gameplay offers a smorgasbord of throwbacks that older gamers will recognize. Be prepared to swear in frustration working your way from checkpoint to checkpoint, and relish the accomplishments in defeating the more challenging sections.
  13. Jun 9, 2014
    do not listen to haters this game is very difficult but its very fun its hard and it pisses me off but when i win at the end im satisfied this game should have a 8

good voice acting and good gameplay
  14. Jun 21, 2014
    his game is not worth 9.99 by a long shot but it does not make it bad. for i am not a fan of the die 100,000,000 times and start over type games but this one its one of the most erking. by a pixel or a leg foot what ever if u mess up u die back to ur checkpoint (level 3 red crushers suck) the graphics for this game are acceptable for an indie game and controller support is aslo a nice touch. The storyling is very indepth you may not understand why a mission is where it is and what but if u listen to the story/intro itll make more sense so dont skip those. other half of that its truly a hardcore platformer and on my scale the game gets a 6/10 could be better but they kinda jumped ship Expand

1. Feb 24, 2014
    An old-fashioned action platform, sometimes difficult as hell, but if you like Ghosts ‘n Goblins’ style games... this is for you.
  2. Feb 3, 2014
    Blood of the Werewolf is a good homage to the side-scrolling horror platformer games of yesteryear.
  3. Nov 20, 2013
    The category of old school, “maso-core” platformers is simply so crowded with more satisfying overall packages that It’s hard to recommend investing in one that is likely to leap, werewolf like, out of your consciousness as soon as you’re done.