8.1

Generally favorable reviews- based on 2036 Ratings

1. Sep 20, 2012
    I tried to love this game, I really did. Being a huge fan of Borderlands 1 when it first released, I had no choice but to purchase the sequel. I put about 12 -15 hours into the game so far...and I cannot help but feel bored. I feel like I've already done all of this before..three years ago. Yes the graphics are better and color schemes have vastly improved..but I cannot give this game anyI tried to love this game, I really did. Being a huge fan of Borderlands 1 when it first released, I had no choice but to purchase the sequel. I put about 12 -15 hours into the game so far...and I cannot help but feel bored. I feel like I've already done all of this before..three years ago. Yes the graphics are better and color schemes have vastly improved..but I cannot give this game any higher than a 2/5 at this point. I know many players right now are enjoying the hell out of this game. I truly envy all of them. Expand
  2. Sep 19, 2012

3. Sep 19, 2012
    I made this second account to write a more neutral, factual review, since unlike many others here, I actually have played Borderlands 2. The first review is more critical of the game on principle, so I wanted to review it as a game with all the additional factors stripped away. I used actual facts from the PC version, like the cluttered inventory system, the lack of dedicated controls forI made this second account to write a more neutral, factual review, since unlike many others here, I actually have played Borderlands 2. The first review is more critical of the game on principle, so I wanted to review it as a game with all the additional factors stripped away. I used actual facts from the PC version, like the cluttered inventory system, the lack of dedicated controls for features like designating weapons as trash/favorites, the existence of day 1 dlc like the monster arenas and the gearbox weapons and keys, the poor humor that relies on tasteless internet culture like arrow to the knee and other references, and the several small improvements to the game such as the addition of new shot and grenade types, the better graphics and color palette, and the minor pc additions in the settings. What do I get for being honest and factual? Review deleted. Buzz off Gearbox, you cannot censor me. Expand
  4. Sep 18, 2012
    Overall thought it was extremely mediocre. If you really liked the first then you will probably like this one, because not much has changed. It's the same formula, just more of it. Everything they did before has been improved, however, but much of the core gameplay remains unchanged and very boring/static. Writing is the same "2 edgy 4 u" **** that panders to the lowest demographic, filledOverall thought it was extremely mediocre. If you really liked the first then you will probably like this one, because not much has changed. It's the same formula, just more of it. Everything they did before has been improved, however, but much of the core gameplay remains unchanged and very boring/static. Writing is the same "2 edgy 4 u" **** that panders to the lowest demographic, filled with pop-culture references and lame jokes. If all you want to do it fetch stuff and shoot things, then this is your game. If you want a game with substance, look somewhere else. Expand
  5. Sep 18, 2012
    A bit of unpolished physics, strange animations, and such keep this from being a perfect ten. But everything else?

Guns: Awesome. Gameplay: Exciting. Writing: Hysterical. Replayability: Basically infinite with the character-spanning Badass Token system.

This game is everything I'd hoped for.
  6. Sep 18, 2012
    This game is exactly what the video game industry needed. I'm only a level 15 and yet i've been playing for hours - new game + just sweetens the deal. It's honestly going to be game of the year without a doubt.
  7. Sep 19, 2012
    If I had to sum up Borderlands 2 in one word, it would probably be "mediocre". "Repetitive" might be another good word to use though. If all you're looking for is a bit of new content from Borderlands 1 then I guess this game could be for you. They are almost exactly the same, and after an hour or two just as boring. Originally I wasn't even going to buy the game but it was gifted to me byIf I had to sum up Borderlands 2 in one word, it would probably be "mediocre". "Repetitive" might be another good word to use though. If all you're looking for is a bit of new content from Borderlands 1 then I guess this game could be for you. They are almost exactly the same, and after an hour or two just as boring. Originally I wasn't even going to buy the game but it was gifted to me by a friend. After playing for a couple of hours I gave him the money he spent back on my copy that way I didn't feel like I had to play this boring game anymore. That's right, I spent $60 to NOT play the game. Also, apparently there is day 1 DLC? I'm very disappointed and was hoping from something new from gearbox on this release. Just a big disappointment. Their "new" menu/inventory system is a lot more annoying than the last as well. Looks nicer but I'd much rather have the old one back. The game ran well, and the fact they added more options in this one that you had to tweak manually before via the config files (ie: FOV), was a nice change. The commentary from the NPC's/characters in this game however are definitely hilarious and made the boring gameplay a bit more enjoyable. Expand
  8. Aug 26, 2013
    This game comes off as a more finished version of Borderlands. About 10 hours in, the visuals are nicer, the combat is fun (same), and there seems to be more NPC talking. The killer for me was the decision to replace the Borderlands protagonists with... mutant-twin-copypasta, lame across the board versions of the Borderlands protagonists. It's my fault for not pre-ordering the game, butThis game comes off as a more finished version of Borderlands. About 10 hours in, the visuals are nicer, the combat is fun (same), and there seems to be more NPC talking. The killer for me was the decision to replace the Borderlands protagonists with... mutant-twin-copypasta, lame across the board versions of the Borderlands protagonists. It's my fault for not pre-ordering the game, but I'm now facing the prospect of waiting until mid-October and shelling out another $10 to play as a character that doesn't seem to be eerily familiar (reasonable or not, I almost instantly feel hostile toward developers who do this). During the DLC of Borderlands I started to feel like I was getting tired of exploring Pandora, and though I was excited going in my enthusiasm for Borderlands 2 is quickly waning. Too much focus was put on trying to make the story "better," and the game as a whole suffered. I played Borderlands when I wanted to mindlessly drive around, kill things, and collect guns. I would have honestly been happier with the same playable characters and new adventures. Expand
  9. Sep 19, 2012
    The game has quite a few redeeming qualities, good graphics, it's fun with co-op... but it's just borderlands 1 redux. I felt like I got ripped off.
  10. Oct 1, 2012
    In many ways Borderlands 2 improves upon BL1 and, if you are a fan of the first game in the series, I would easily recommend this one. The gameplay seems a bit smoother, the art seems a bit more polished, and rocket launchers can actually do damage! That being said, there are a few things I would like to inform any potential buyers: 1. The loot system, while apparently expanded, seemed aIn many ways Borderlands 2 improves upon BL1 and, if you are a fan of the first game in the series, I would easily recommend this one. The gameplay seems a bit smoother, the art seems a bit more polished, and rocket launchers can actually do damage! That being said, there are a few things I would like to inform any potential buyers: 1. The loot system, while apparently expanded, seemed a tad bit limited. Oh sure, you find guns that have better stats and they might even have a new skin, but because all the gun manufacturers have their own "quirks" that apply to EVERY gun they make (i.e. all hyperion guns start out inaccurate but gain accuracy the longer you fire), all the guns seem rather similar. You no longer get the "HX480" prefix in your gun titles, which, while it might appeal to many gamers, also makes it harder to see if you have a gun made up of the perfect parts. Also, if you have been following the press releases about the game, the advertised "thrown together" aspects of Bandit guns are out. Originally there were supposed to be beer bottles in place of scopes and a screw that you look down when in ADS mode. It seems that now all bandit guns have is a "dirty" or graffiti'd paint job. 2. The environments have definitely been expanded upon, with caverns and mines filled with acid to a modern city open for you to loot and shoot your way through. The problem that might turn off some gamers is that the devs added more obstacles for you to run past so that there is a greater sense of progression. This is, in my opinion, a double edged sword because this leads to a cluster of terrain that is almost impossible to navigate without using the map. 3. Badass points: You gain badass points whenever you do challenges like "shoot x amount of enemies with sniper rifles". You can then spend these points on upping gun damage, reload speed, etc. This replaces the weapon proficiency system of BL1, so that some gamers wouldn't feel committed to using the type of gun they had used up to that point. On the other hand, you don't feel like you are improving with a certain weapon type, which cuts down on a bit of the RPG aspects IMO. 4. Gore: In order to release world-wide uncut, Gearbox disabled decapitations. In BL1, a headshot with a decent sniper rifle and *boom*. Head gone. In BL2, even though the blood from the headshot still spews out like in the prequel, the enemy models still retain their heads. This is a rather minor complaint, but judging from the Gearbox forums, there are a good number of people ticked off by this.

All in all, I think that this is a pretty good game. The only setbacks I thought it had were conscious decisions made by Gearbox and, while I might not be the specific market they are trying to appeal to, there is still enough shoot and loot for me to enjoy BL2 immensely. I'd also keep in mind that Gearbox was trying to release Aliens colonel marines and Duke Nukem Forever at the same time, which might explain the lack of innovation in terms of Bandit weapons. My hope is they balance the innovations (the manufacturer "quirks") in BL3.
  11. Sep 18, 2012
    Borderlands 2 is like the original on steroids. Everything is just plain better - voice acting, story, UI, graphics...it's all just better. With the same awesome FPS experience the first one brought to the table. And GUNS. SO MANY GUNS. The game has way better options for PC gamers (FOV option is built right in), and the menu's are not all consolified like the first version, a niceBorderlands 2 is like the original on steroids. Everything is just plain better - voice acting, story, UI, graphics...it's all just better. With the same awesome FPS experience the first one brought to the table. And GUNS. SO MANY GUNS. The game has way better options for PC gamers (FOV option is built right in), and the menu's are not all consolified like the first version, a nice gesture from the slap-in-the-face PC gamers get normally with console ports.

The world also feels bigger, but filled with more characters, rather then just endless desert like the original. While its no Skyrim in terms of world openness, it's at least headed in the right direction.

One small disappointment is the check point system remains the same. You have to find a check point in order to save your progress. Check points are so 90's. Adults have lives, and they don't always have 15 minutes to find the next pole. In the scheme of things...it's a minor complaint.

Bottom line - more baddies for you to shoot, blow-up and electrocute. Better voice acting, more story, better story, and all the FPS action of the original - it's pretty much FPS of the year.
  12. Sep 20, 2012
    A really bland lifeless shooter with horrible bullet sponge enemies, unfunny humor, poor artstyle and graphics as well as "Billions" of weapons which are just a few weapons with different stats on each one which makes everything a poorly made FPS version of Diablo just like the first and 2K paying off reviewers doesnt help the game either.

What happened to the old Gearbox?
  13. Sep 19, 2012
    I played the first game about halfway through until the constant respawning of enemies really killed the fun for me. I was hoping they'd at least make it optional to not have everything respawn behind your back (like, only respawn on new games) but no, the second installment is exactly the same in that regard. Maybe some people like this, I find it highly frustrating! The game is prettyI played the first game about halfway through until the constant respawning of enemies really killed the fun for me. I was hoping they'd at least make it optional to not have everything respawn behind your back (like, only respawn on new games) but no, the second installment is exactly the same in that regard. Maybe some people like this, I find it highly frustrating! The game is pretty but apart from a clearly upgraded Borderlands 1 in some ways, it's quite literally the same game and plays just like it. I give the game a 4 because it's a good game in many ways, but for me the constant enemy respawn is such a game breaking feature that I cannot get in to it. Pity. Expand
  14. Sep 19, 2012
    Borderlands 2 is a game where you shoot guns at stuff till it dies. This is enjoyable and a fun way to blow off steam. It has a co-op mode so you can play with your buddies or with people on the internet. Borderlands 2 is mostly made to be played with your friends and have a great time. Its a great concept except the online features work about 50-50 for players. Some get to play theBorderlands 2 is a game where you shoot guns at stuff till it dies. This is enjoyable and a fun way to blow off steam. It has a co-op mode so you can play with your buddies or with people on the internet. Borderlands 2 is mostly made to be played with your friends and have a great time. Its a great concept except the online features work about 50-50 for players. Some get to play the game online and others don't. The only real way to find out if the online is going to work for you is to gamble $60. Gearbox made a game that looks fun to play but it doesn't work. Expand
  15. Oct 1, 2012
    Art style and presentation is fantastic. Works very well on PC and, voice acting helps drive the story forward. The decoration of the areas, for want of a better word, is lush and interesting. Character animation when shooting is fun and the ragdoll physics makes the world feel nice and alive.

However I'm 30 hours in and I can feel the repetitive gameplay become more evident as the novelty wears off. I didn't play Borderlands 1 and I can imagine if I had I'd be quite bored.

My main complaint is with the limited scale of the areas. The game world feels cramped, this is no Capital Wasteland. I make the comparison as the scale, complexity and exploration aspects of Fallout 3 is something that I started to crave. Especially as when completing an area, taking up to an hour to advance the story, the next side mission you take often has you going literally around in circles through the same area you've just cleared, fighting instantly respawned enemies, and even respawned bosses. I've come to the conclusion that running through the story missions and actively avoiding side missions is the only way I can keep interest in the game after the 25 hour mark.

The bipedal enemies are fun in the most part, but the creature enemies I found annoying. They almost always run at you and swarm you, which is doubly annoying when they respawn behind you. And finally the big USP is the limitless amount of guns. This is slightly disingenuous as there are 4 gun classes underneath which all guns are roughly similar. They have randomised stats, and effects which once you've seen them, aren't too interesting. The loot powers up with your level, so you'll never stumble across a great gun early on. Which also makes playing early side missions and going back to early areas after you've levelled up pointless as all the loot is underpowered, and which is another tick against doing side missions.

This game is pretty but shallow. Which is upsetting as I was hoping for something a bit more subversive, gritty, and epic in scale. If you can live with the repetitiveness and want to get lost in the art style I recommend it. For me I'm counting the days until Firaxis release Xcom.
  16. Sep 18, 2012
    If you loved Borderlands, you will love Borderlands 2. They did it. I don't know how, but they made Borderlands better. Best of all, they made the PC version playable! Playing over steam with friends is as easy as playing native steam games like Left 4 Dead 2 with friends. The graphics look great, the game runs perfectly at max settings with high end hardware, and the gameplay is funIf you loved Borderlands, you will love Borderlands 2. They did it. I don't know how, but they made Borderlands better. Best of all, they made the PC version playable! Playing over steam with friends is as easy as playing native steam games like Left 4 Dead 2 with friends. The graphics look great, the game runs perfectly at max settings with high end hardware, and the gameplay is fun and more challenging than the original. The only flaw I can really find in this game is that the menus are unnecessarily clunky. Namely, the inability to use WASD to navigate menus (Skyrim, anyone?). But really, this is a wonderful game so far, and a much better piece of software than the terrible PC version of the first game was. :D Expand
  17. Oct 4, 2012
    I loved borderlands 1, LOVED it, played it 3 times, was great fun every single time, both by yourself and with others. Now I wanted to love Borderlands 2, I truly did, but something about the game was rubbing me the wrong way all the way through. After finishing the second playthrough and clocked over 100 hours, I can say this at least:

A lot of people, hell almost everyone keeps

A lot of people, hell almost everyone keeps claiming that Borderlands 2 is a big improvement upon the original and that everything is better then the first, truth is it really isnt true.

Some of the most important aspects are done poorly, the guns is a big important part of the game and in the original it wasnt hard to find a gun you found to be perfect. a uber shotgun with high accuracy, 30 round drum, fast fire rate, fast reload speed, pretty much the perfect gun. Well let me stop you right here, you will never, EVER find such a gun in Borderlands 2. Every single gun in this game has something negative to it, in fact I'd go as far as saying they only excel at one aspect at best. Either you have a big clip, or you do high damage, or you have high accuracy, but you'll never have them all. This annoyed me greatly. In 100+ hours I never found a good combat rifle, never found that shotgun that felt just right, etc

Another thing that is done poorly, especially in a game like this that promotes Co-Op so badly, is weapon sharing, it is none existant. in the original game, each character was subtly suggested to use certain weapon types, and this is further encouraged by getting weapon levels after using a type of weapon for a while, which increased the parameters for that type of weapon, for example roland has talents for assault rifles and shotguns, and by using those weapons a lot you get experience in those weapons so you are less likely to pick up other types of weapons and stick with those you specilise in. In BL2 that system is thrown out of the window, everyone is good with all weapon types, which is good, but it also ment I spent 60% of the game with a sniper...as did all of the people I played with, and whenever a weapon chest was opened EVERYONE wanted EVERYTHING, you never heard "hey there is a good smg for you here" or "you take that assault rifle, i speciilize in shotguns" they didnt think that through.

third, and this is just a opinion but I found the humor just not the same this time around, part of what made borderlands 1 so good was the writing. The random events that happend and the dialogue the NPCs said it just fit really well in the world of pandora, even little things like the vendor machine dialogue this time around the NPCs, most of which are newly introduced characters just arent funny, the cutscenes feel forced, the jokes are pretty lame, I didnt chuckle once at these jokes.

Honestly I feel they focused too much on the wrong things. I can honestly tell you, that the few things that were wrong with the original game are fixed in the sequel. The poorly intigrated multiplayer, the constant wasteland enviroment and the relatively easy difficulty of the original, and in that sense, yes they improved the game, but they also butchered the well executed aspects of the original.

Long story short, they focused too much on the story, the enemy variety and uniquely looking enviroment, and weapon looks, but the cost was too high, writing is bad in this game, guns never feel good, and because everyone uses the same guns, co-op is almost pointless since everyone wants to use the same guns, and its impossible to decide who gets what this time around.

I played it for 100 hours so oblivously it wasnt a terrible game, but neither was it exciting.
  18. Sep 18, 2012
    Beautiful graphics and animation, excellent cinematography, voice acting, dark sense of humor and overall theme.

Lots of quests / missions that are made even more seamless than the first. You might still feel it's a bit grindy, but if you don't like staples of RPGs (leveling, looting, questing) you shouldn't play RPGs. The game certainly delivers as a FPS, perfect weapon / aim

The game certainly delivers as a FPS, perfect weapon / aim control, combat feels very fluid.
  19. Sep 29, 2012
    Being a Borderlands 1 veteran with over 200 hours (stopped counting), I expected a little bit more. The humour has become more awkward rather than cynical as in the previous game. I didn't get the point of the character called Tiny Tina at all. "Deadliest 13 year-old." Seriously Gearbox, did you completely sell-out to appeal to kids? The lowest form of humour in the game is panderingBeing a Borderlands 1 veteran with over 200 hours (stopped counting), I expected a little bit more. The humour has become more awkward rather than cynical as in the previous game. I didn't get the point of the character called Tiny Tina at all. "Deadliest 13 year-old." Seriously Gearbox, did you completely sell-out to appeal to kids? The lowest form of humour in the game is pandering internet memes like "got an arrow to the knee". That train has already departed, it's not funny any more if it ever was. I gave this game a 10 before finishing it, today I've finished it and came back to adjust my rating to a rock solid 7 only to see my previous spoiler free and completely positive comment to be deleted. Way to deal with customers. I don't care if this was done on the action of 2K or Gearbox, I'm done. If you enjoy item hoarding games with a mediocre coop go buy it. If you want a quality single-player rather get Fallout if you want multiplayer get Left 4 Dead 2. I don't care about random stats items anymore. Expand
  20. Sep 20, 2012
    Borderlands 1 was a blast, although i only enjoyed Mordecai (weak active skill) and Lilith (super OP active skill), now that Borderlands 2 is out I have to sadly say i am disappointed, sure graphics are a bit bettter, but there are no more revolvers, they are now merged together with automatic pistols, they way their shoot animation looks is terrible. Weapons are somewhat boring/uselessBorderlands 1 was a blast, although i only enjoyed Mordecai (weak active skill) and Lilith (super OP active skill), now that Borderlands 2 is out I have to sadly say i am disappointed, sure graphics are a bit bettter, but there are no more revolvers, they are now merged together with automatic pistols, they way their shoot animation looks is terrible. Weapons are somewhat boring/useless most of the time, humor is somewhat forced, the game overall fells kinda meh, and the characters are absolutely boring, useless, there is basically no diversity... Expand
  21. Nov 5, 2012
    I started off liking this game a lot. Borderlands 2 has the same fundamental issue as BL 1 for me. Namely, it is a console port. Generally, you can forget that on BL2 because it is extremely well put together but it has the cardinal sin of all console games which for me rules consoles out entirely. The extremely narrow field of view makes me extremely ill. I have seen masses of threadsI started off liking this game a lot. Borderlands 2 has the same fundamental issue as BL 1 for me. Namely, it is a console port. Generally, you can forget that on BL2 because it is extremely well put together but it has the cardinal sin of all console games which for me rules consoles out entirely. The extremely narrow field of view makes me extremely ill. I have seen masses of threads on this as statistically a significant number of people. The result is that until the hack or crack comes out I cannot play for long before feeling very ill. I have had BL 2 since launch and have played less than 2 hours because of this. Catastrophic failure to address one of the same issues people complained like hell about last time. Nothing says console port issues like playing while looking through a mailbox. Waiting for a mod to fix it. Expand
  22. Sep 18, 2012
    I pre-ordered the game on Steam. It became available right at midnight with no issues.. Played for about 3 1/2 hours. The graphics are much better on PC than the console versions, theres even some Nvidia specific stuff you can turn on. If you liked Borderlands, you'll love Borderlands 2.
  23. Sep 19, 2012
    Improves upon the first game in every aspect. Keeps all of the good and fixed all of the bad from Borderlands 1. If you were a fan of the first this is a must play. Borderlands 1 DLC was the only DLC I have ever bought that I felt I got my moneys worth. (General Knox DLC was longer than some full AAA title games.) The first DLC is free to those who pre-ordered, and contains a new playableImproves upon the first game in every aspect. Keeps all of the good and fixed all of the bad from Borderlands 1. If you were a fan of the first this is a must play. Borderlands 1 DLC was the only DLC I have ever bought that I felt I got my moneys worth. (General Knox DLC was longer than some full AAA title games.) The first DLC is free to those who pre-ordered, and contains a new playable class/character. Like many new games, you can pre-order the DLC packs at a discount. This is the only game in the last 2 years that I would and have done so.

I would like to go back and play the first game with the new classes, smarter AI, better weapons, and updated graphics. Maybe in the DLC :).
  24. Sep 18, 2012
    Basically, if you enjoyed the first game, you will love this one. Gearbox listened to the feedback us nerds provided and answered by getting rid of the weak co-op and adding a tremendous amount of the things we enjoyed. Great dialog, creative environments, smooth gameplay, luscious looting. I am tempted to give it a 10.
  25. Sep 19, 2012
    Ugh... I normally don't post these but after reading a few of the negative reviews I felt compelled to. First off, this is not a console port. Borderlands 2 looks better and runs better than Borderlands 1 for the plain and simple fact it was optimized for PC. I'm running a $200 ATI video card I bought last November and the game runs fine.

Second, it does not have day one DLC. I'm sorry

Second, it does not have day one DLC. I'm sorry everyone, but if it was there I probably would've bought it. It does however have DLC coming out in a month that the developers worked on after the game went gold. If you pre-ordered the game, you get the DLC for free. The people moaning about this either didn't get the memo or forgot to pre-order. Its not our fault you missed out, every game gets pre-order goodness now and this game was no different.

Third, the game does offer a "season pass" for DLC. They aren't common, but it has been done before with games such as Saints Row 3. This is an optional purchase that will get you all of the DLC released over the next year (more or less). This is not an earth-shattering money grab, you are guaranteed to receive at least a set amount of DLC. It may even include the new character class (rumor I heard, but I have not independently confirmed it).

Fourth, if you didn't enjoy Borderlands 1 you probably will not enjoy Borderlands 2. I'm sorry, it doesn't have 32 player competitive multiplayer. Boo-freak'in-hoo.

Now, for those of you who want someone's opinion who knew what they were buying...

Graphically, the game is a minor improvement. It makes use of more shaders (reflective ice for example) and has been optimized for framerates.

The game no longer goes through Gamespy and accesses your Steam friends list. Port-forwarding is no longer required to host games (damn, that was annoying).

The weapon system has been tweaked so that weapons can use more than 1 ammo per shot, there are also new types of grenades such as "homing mirv sticky grenades". Health, ammo and cash will auto-loot in combat.

The humor is reminiscent of General Knoxx. If you have ever watched Frisky Dingo, Handsome Jack's lines seem like they were written for Xander Crews. Lines such as "... why don't you turn around and... what the hell happened to your face!"

Quests however seem to reuse zones a bit more though not as excessive as say Dragon Age 2. It is however more noticeable than Borderlands 1 and the enemies don't scale up. Boss fights and zones are now repeatable within a single game session.

Targeting... is a lot more specific in this version. If you are even a pixel off from hitting a mob, they will not be hit. There is a target assist, but I don't recommend using it

The max level is 50, expect Gearbox to dangle increased level caps in DLC. That's exactly what they did in Borderlands 1 DLC. I would've have preferred more levels and larger skills trees... but we don't all get what we want.

The game rewards players with multiple characters with the "bada**" system that allows you to take incremental upgrades based on achievement completion that affects all characters. It can be toggled off.

Overall, I'm happy with the game. Its not the breakthrough that Borderlands 1 was but it is an evolution of the game concept with some risky features added in. If you are looking for a game with an intricate story, this game isn't for you. Solo play may even be downright boring. But if you've got friends or don't mind playing with random people, cooperative play is where this game really shines.
  26. Sep 21, 2012
    Short and sweet: No improvements over Borderlands 1 (same unreal rendering engine, no dx-11 support), a blatant console port. This should have been a DLC for the original Borderlands game, and not a standalone.

The fights get repetitive, and all the same negatives that were associated with Borderlands 1 are here again. Less bugs, but that's it. No way worth $59 + $29 for the

No way worth $59 + $29 for the "premium" package. Blatant ripoff by 2k games/Gearbox.
  27. Sep 18, 2012
    The game is fantastic. They addressed a number of config problems from borderlands one, resulting in a much smoother PC experience. The mobs feel great, the quests are just in line with what I wanted in terms of difficulty, variety, and story. Their audio snippets are a smash hit with me, and I wish more devs would tell story that way.
  28. Sep 18, 2012
    It's like borderlands except without all the problems, there is enough variety to make every gun feel unique. The physx effects are amazingly optimized, runs at 50-60 FPS on my GTX 580, all high settings and physx high.
  29. Sep 18, 2012
    Excellent game. PC version is well made like Gearbo's support. There's some problems but I trust that developer fixes them, since they already provided PC features that are lacking in other games. Great game, fun to play.
  30. Sep 18, 2012
    Game of the year, if not the greatest game of all time. Probably the greatest FPSRPG of all time. Absolutely perfect in every way imaginable. Improves on every single aspect of Borderlands 1. GG guys, gg.
  31. Sep 18, 2012
    Game expands on the original with more of their humor and more weapons. If you enjoy your loot driven games like Diablo and torchlight you'll enjoy this FPSRPG. Scored non 10 because being a console port video options are pretty weak. As for the negative reviews for split-screen on a PC ...I don't even..
  32. Sep 18, 2012
    Played non stop since the midnight release. I have got to say, it was well worth the $36 dollars I ended up spending. They really went above and beyond a simple port. It has integrated well with PC and steam. I was really surprised to find how easy it was to find my steam friends on there, and how easy it was to join them.. like even easier than TF2
  33. Dec 9, 2012
    Extremely repetitive game. If you have played one quest in this game you have played them all. Go to x get b kill everything. YOu kill the same enemy types the entire game over and over.
  34. Oct 2, 2012
    One word review: BOREDLANDS...
    Oh my god, it IS boring...

An awful sad, boring to the teeth game. Even worst than the ridiculous first installment, this train wreck of a game is dull, predictable and generic to the extreme. Same old same old mediocre FPS game disguised as a very bad written RPG. Avoid at all costs.
  35. Sep 19, 2012
    The game is like a polished version of 1. If you loved 1 you will probably love this one. It takes the concepts from the 1st game and expands them. I am playing with 3 friends and I feel like many hours of our collective lives will be buried in this title. During the 1st Hour I laughed, got knocked down, got numerous satisfying headshots and squealed like a kid at Christmas.
  36. Jan 14, 2013
    This game really surprised me.Never played first borderlands since graphic was unappealing to me. Most likely would never picked up second one if it wasn't gifted to me. I must say that i had real blast while playing it. Not even sure when my steam counter jumped to over 50 hours in less then 2 weeks ;). I really love it, Pandora is amazing place to explore. everywhere you go there'sThis game really surprised me.Never played first borderlands since graphic was unappealing to me. Most likely would never picked up second one if it wasn't gifted to me. I must say that i had real blast while playing it. Not even sure when my steam counter jumped to over 50 hours in less then 2 weeks ;). I really love it, Pandora is amazing place to explore. everywhere you go there's something completely new to discover. Scenery really changes between zones, they put lots of work into them. I only wish zones would level with me, some quests were simply too easy as i came back to them after a while. other then that, perfect game Expand
  37. Sep 18, 2012
    This is a great iteration on the same formula that made Borderlands fun. Every single system is improved, including the anemic opening fights in the first game; this time you jump into a plot fight without having to wade through a mile of filler first. Claptrap is often actually amusing - Gearbox clearly realized how annoying he became in the first and made him the butt of some honestlyThis is a great iteration on the same formula that made Borderlands fun. Every single system is improved, including the anemic opening fights in the first game; this time you jump into a plot fight without having to wade through a mile of filler first. Claptrap is often actually amusing - Gearbox clearly realized how annoying he became in the first and made him the butt of some honestly funny jokes here. Gun handling is tight and I'd say the PC version is truly a "PC version", not a "PC port" - much unlike the first game, they put in the time to do it right. The difficulty is turned up a few notches, though - my Siren character regularly gets curb stomped which didn't happen much in the first game. The game is clearly balanced for multiplayer, but it's still a lot of fun single player - just don't expect to dominate everything on your first try like in BL 1. In short, this is a truly excellent followup. If you liked Borderlands you absolutely need to get this; if you didn't, skip the first and try this out. Especially for PC, it is literally better in every way. Expand
  38. Sep 18, 2012
    Best loot driven game I have played. Incredibly funny dialogue, fun to play classes, beautiful graphics and tons of weapons. It's so easy to play with your friends and the PC version is superb.
  39. Sep 18, 2012
    Some of the reviews have said that this is a console port. This is actually untrue though. I had followed the development of BL2 pretty closely and one thing that Gearbox always stressed is that the PC version was not a simple game port. Its the a full fledged GAME. Which is to say that they developed this version of the game alongside the console versions (not afterward). For a gameSome of the reviews have said that this is a console port. This is actually untrue though. I had followed the development of BL2 pretty closely and one thing that Gearbox always stressed is that the PC version was not a simple game port. Its the a full fledged GAME. Which is to say that they developed this version of the game alongside the console versions (not afterward). For a game developer to do that extra work just to keep consumers happy AND release a game this good is just the best, 10/10 for the game and 10/10 for Gearbox. Expand
  40. Sep 19, 2012
    Never played a game so funny and so awsome like this.A masterpiece in all aspects.The gameplay is unique,the humor are fantastic,the story is comic but more madure,with more emotion this time.The graphics are better and the game runs like a charm in a pc with minimum requiriments.The guns? How mich?Just don't know.. maybe..infinite? Amazing,diversified and beautiful guns.All of then. LoveNever played a game so funny and so awsome like this.A masterpiece in all aspects.The gameplay is unique,the humor are fantastic,the story is comic but more madure,with more emotion this time.The graphics are better and the game runs like a charm in a pc with minimum requiriments.The guns? How mich?Just don't know.. maybe..infinite? Amazing,diversified and beautiful guns.All of then. Love the game.It's 100%worth and 100% awsome. A must-have and a must-buy. Expand
  41. Sep 20, 2012
    I've been waiting to this day for a long time, played Borderlands 2 almost 6 hours today and I can say that this game is AMAZING. The first game was insanely fun and Gearbox took everything that we didn't like it and improved. You will no longer receive damage from falling, no matter how high you will jump, your challenges now will give you a little -yet essential- bonus ; you don't needI've been waiting to this day for a long time, played Borderlands 2 almost 6 hours today and I can say that this game is AMAZING. The first game was insanely fun and Gearbox took everything that we didn't like it and improved. You will no longer receive damage from falling, no matter how high you will jump, your challenges now will give you a little -yet essential- bonus ; you don't need to repair Claptraps anymore to expand your backpack and you won't need to spend 600000 dollars in a single weapon upgrade (Crazy Earl will do that for Eridium - a new kind of currency in Pandora), this game doesnt label your character ; what do I mean ? That you can play as Zero and use assault rifles, you can snipe with Axton, you can do everything you want, because you've 3 different Skill trees to each character, making 3 different ways of gameplay with each one. Borderlands 2 it's all about fetching quests and looking for new and more powerful guns, and it delivers pretty well. The sidequests are the real GEM of this game, you will laugh your ass off with that sweet humor that you can only find in Borderlands. Our beloved characters are back, you can drink with Moxxi (from Mad Moxxi DLC), Catch a Ride with the funny (probably one of the funniest characters in the game) redneck Scooter and his sister Ellie, high five and dance dubstep with Claptrap, or help Roland/Mordecai/Lilith and Brick to defeat the biggest prick of Pandora - Handsome Jack. All in all Borderlands HAS EVERYTHING that I care about - Funny and good story (and sidequests), LOTS of guns, Solid Cell-shading graphics, an awesome 4 people strategic co-op, a HUGE word with tons of new enemies and Claptrap - I'm still checking this little guy dancing. Borderlands 2 is a MUST for both Hardcore/Casual gamers. Expand
  42. Sep 18, 2012
    at 13 hours into launch and i had realized i had put in 11.8 hours into the game. In a year where there are quite a few AAA titles, Borderlands 2 is a very strong contender for my personal 2012 GOTY..... however two glaring points keep BL2 from a 10/10 score. the first: STILL not being able to track multiple missions on your radar, the second: backtracking! having to trek across a mapat 13 hours into launch and i had realized i had put in 11.8 hours into the game. In a year where there are quite a few AAA titles, Borderlands 2 is a very strong contender for my personal 2012 GOTY..... however two glaring points keep BL2 from a 10/10 score. the first: STILL not being able to track multiple missions on your radar, the second: backtracking! having to trek across a map that is 5-6 levels below you (with respawned bosses along the way) just to complete an objective = not fun. everything else pretty much rocks... i love the new menus, pc optimization & settings (compared to the bare-bones console port of BL1), the bonus character skins/heads for achievements, the music (still have it on 10, yet to mute it), the epic dialogue/banter (especially from Clap Trap, Scooter, Handsome Jack), old & new characters & enemies... yes there is announced DLC but if its anything like BL1's add-ons, Gearbox actually does this right. All in all.... 9 out of 10 Marcus bobbleheads. Expand
  43. Sep 24, 2012
    So far, i have played about 13 hours, this is a great game. The enemies are great, the weapons are great, each area feels like it has been designed and not just thrown together. It is really well balanced. Sometimes you feel like you are kicking ass other times you are praying for a 'fight back' kill to get back on your feet. I only played a little bit of borderlands 1 and couldn't reallySo far, i have played about 13 hours, this is a great game. The enemies are great, the weapons are great, each area feels like it has been designed and not just thrown together. It is really well balanced. Sometimes you feel like you are kicking ass other times you are praying for a 'fight back' kill to get back on your feet. I only played a little bit of borderlands 1 and couldn't really get in to it. I didn't give it enough of a chance but it felt a lot more generic than this. If you have played a lot of borderlands 1 maybe this would not be as much fun... maybe. Anyway I am loving it. The action is solid, the level up system is rewarding and the guns are great. I don't care how many there are but the ones you use feel great. Expand
  44. Sep 18, 2012
    Takes what was so good about Borderlands, and makes it even better. Then adds just about every tweek and improvement you can think of.

After having to deal with Diablo 3 for months of disapointment, frustration, and trying to finish without using the real money auction house, this game gives me faith again in game developers again.
  45. Sep 18, 2012
    Borderlands 2 is an improvement over the original Borderlands in nearly every way. Increased gun and enemy types, better environments, and a more coherent story make shooting and looting a lot more fun. The customization is more in-depth this time around, with looted cosmetic items that can change character and vehicle appearance. Pretty cool, except that as an FPS you generally won'tBorderlands 2 is an improvement over the original Borderlands in nearly every way. Increased gun and enemy types, better environments, and a more coherent story make shooting and looting a lot more fun. The customization is more in-depth this time around, with looted cosmetic items that can change character and vehicle appearance. Pretty cool, except that as an FPS you generally won't be seeing yourself all that much. I'm also a little uncomfortable with the pre-order bonus being an entire class, which will likely be sold as separate DLC later. I feel like it punishes those who prefer to wait for reviews before purchasing (and yes, I did preorder). Expand
  46. Oct 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Borderlands 2 is a decent game. Unfortunately it finds itself in the uncomfortable situation of being compared to Borderlands. The world is small, the enemies are repetitive and few in variation. You spend half the time fighting one type of enemy and the other half another type. Every now and then you come across some animals to fight. The weapons and shields were designed so that children would go crazy, because the higher the numbers the better. When an average weapons does 20.000+ damage, things get silly. What's wrong with weapons doing at best around 400 damage? When you create your character you find yourself on a train, that explodes. Apparently some bad guy named Jack blew it up because he don't want vault hunters on the planet. The planet is a in a crisis. A huge crisis. Hyperion is taking over. Apparently Atlas, a company richer than any nation went bankrupt. General Knoxx and the Crimson Lance were defeated in a Borderlands DLC. I've never heard of a nation going bankrupt because they lost a battle. Anyways, Jack is bad and is threatening Pandora. Things are really bad. Where is this feel of a threat? Nowhere. Borderlands 2 tells you how bad things are, but doesn't show it or make you feel it the slightest. The weapons are linear and dull. Everything in Borderlands 2 is dull at best. But they did something right. I honestly don't know what it is. If you consider playing Borderlands 2, make sure you don't play Borderlands first, because Borderlands will completely ruin the Borderlands 2 experience. Expand
  47. Oct 17, 2012
    Finished this game in 8 hours or so. I found it fairly repetitive, and feels just like the sequel. For me, this game lost all of it's redeeming qualities after the first hour, and a tiresome chore after that. No replay value whatsoever, unless you're a perfectionist who wants to collect guns and stuff(I know I don't). Verdict: Rent it, don't buy it. And don't even think about the SeasonFinished this game in 8 hours or so. I found it fairly repetitive, and feels just like the sequel. For me, this game lost all of it's redeeming qualities after the first hour, and a tiresome chore after that. No replay value whatsoever, unless you're a perfectionist who wants to collect guns and stuff(I know I don't). Verdict: Rent it, don't buy it. And don't even think about the Season Pass. It's just a waste of money. Expand
  48. Feb 8, 2013
    First play through: amazing. 10/10. The story is meh, but the fun factor is there. Co-op with some buddies is awesome, much the same as BL1. Farming can get old pretty fast. Some of the characters are done excellently; Handsome Jack comes to mind. Second play through: Not so amazing. 7.5/10. Gets boring rather quickly... you know what's coming, there are no new skills as by that point youFirst play through: amazing. 10/10. The story is meh, but the fun factor is there. Co-op with some buddies is awesome, much the same as BL1. Farming can get old pretty fast. Some of the characters are done excellently; Handsome Jack comes to mind. Second play through: Not so amazing. 7.5/10. Gets boring rather quickly... you know what's coming, there are no new skills as by that point you can re-spec to any skill you want. DLC, in order of how I would rate them... 1) Pirates 2) Torgue 3) Hammerlock. Pirates was fun, new enemies, new vehicle (and the best one in the game, I think) Torgue was hilarious, and Hammerlock? Hammerlock was crap. If you bought the seasons pass, sorry. You could have spent the same amount of cash on the other 3 (1 not released yet) and saved yourself some trouble. It wasn't a 3/10, but a solid 5.5. The game itself is great... For a while. After that it's grind-fest. Still, I find myself going to my Steam library and constantly playing it. Now that it's 50% off, get it while it lasts! Expand
  49. Sep 20, 2012
    What is with PC gamers nowadays? I've been primarily a PC gamer since before Wolfenstein 3D, and after all this time, I am completely unable to understand how people can be so ridiculously critical of PC games. This game is being vilified as a console port? Seriously?? The graphics are vastly improved over the original, there are options to change TONS of graphics options (including theWhat is with PC gamers nowadays? I've been primarily a PC gamer since before Wolfenstein 3D, and after all this time, I am completely unable to understand how people can be so ridiculously critical of PC games. This game is being vilified as a console port? Seriously?? The graphics are vastly improved over the original, there are options to change TONS of graphics options (including the oft-asked-for field of view), the controls are rock-solid and customizable, and there are only a few bugs. I'm honestly starting to believe that PC gamers are going to whine until there are no more consoles, period. Dark Souls was the roughest port I've ever seen, but the game was still awesome, and I want to see more console games on PC. Rant aside, this game is awesome. While it is not radically different than the first, the mechanics are all improved, and the game has been expanded greatly. If you liked Borderlands 1, you will love 2. If you didn't like 1, you probably won't like 2 either. The characters are all diverse, and the abilities are a lot more useful and powerful (Phaselock in particular is insanely handy). I went through Borderlands 1 without using the special abilities really at all, but that's not the case with 2. Guns are widely more varied now, and are interesting to collect. The only criticism I can say about guns is that in the early part of the game, I ran out of ammo INSANELY quickly. In multiplayer, you share money, eridium (used to buy upgrades), and even ammo (the other player gets half of what you pick up). Sharing loot can still be a sore spot in multiplayer matches, but if you're playing with friends, it shouldn't be a huge problem. The way character upgrades work is a lot better than Borderlands 1 as well. In 1, you only leveled up weapons that you used, which led to people sticking to one type of gun from the very beginning. In 2, however, you work on "challenges" that give you points you can use towards certain unlocks. It's a much more elegant system. ***************************************************************************************** Bottom line, Borderlands 2 is a very well-done game that surpasses the original in every way. If you were bored by Borderlands 1, pass 2 up, but if you loved 1, you will love 2. Expand
  50. Sep 29, 2012
    The game moves very slow. I like to call it "Borederlands 2." This game simply doesn't appeal to me. They needed more time to fix it and fill in empty spaces.
  51. Sep 21, 2012
    PROS:
    -Core gameplay is the same, if you enjoyed BL1 in that regard then you'll be happy to know that it's mostly unchanged.
    -More varied gun models and reload/firing animations -More varied landscapes -More enemy types -Better UI/Video options CONS: -Very poor writing -Similarly poor dialogue with no option to skip through it -Constant intrusions from Gearbox's attempt at humor
    PROS:
    -More varied gun models and reload/firing animations
    -More varied landscapes
    -More enemy types
    -Better UI/Video options

CONS:
    -Very poor writing
    -Similarly poor dialogue with no option to skip through it
    -Constant intrusions from Gearbox's attempt at humor in the already lousy dialogue. (Keyword: "attempt")
    -Any sense of mystery you may have felt toward the original game's cast of playable characters has been replaced with their current shallow and uninteresting personalities.
    -No real improvement in the quest department
    -Selling already-developed DLC before the game is even released

Let's be honest here, I don't think very many people play Borderlands for the story. Core gameplay is what really matters, and as long as you have fun with that then lousy dialogue and a bland story shouldn't hinder your enjoyment, right? Wrong. It's obvious that they spent a lot more time (wasted time, in my opinion) on the story and dialogue, both of which fall flat. Speaking of the dialogue; there's a lot more of it. Not only that, but all of it is injected with unfunny jokes and sprinkled with internet memes and references. Somewhere along the line they must have decided to switch from making the characters' interesting and outlandish personalities carry the humor to a more up-front "ARE YOU LAUGHING YET?" style of humor, which is a real shame. It would have been less of a problem with an option to skip through dialogue.

Diagnosis? Writers have a malignant case of trying-too-hard, but the gameplay is fine as long as you enjoyed the original game. I was very critical of the story and dialogue because it would be remiss to ignore that in a review of the game as a whole, especially when it's the most glaring change between BL1 and 2.

TL;DR: Its still fun to play with friends, just try not to cringe too hard at the miserable dialogue.
  52. Nov 7, 2012
    Ok, I admit i reviewed the game without having tried it a little. So I gave it a 9. I was wrong. The game itself is not bad, but - the gore has been toned down, no dismemberments or very rare
    - the maps are smaller that in Borderlands 1
    - the humor is very often silly, childish, not fun - many maps are extremely linear if compared to the ones of the first episode - in my opinion the
    - the maps are smaller that in Borderlands 1
    - the humor is very often silly, childish, not fun
    - many maps are extremely linear if compared to the ones of the first episode
    - in my opinion the voice acting of many enemies is obscene, with midgets crying like little babies when they die, goliaths shouting as demented "looney tunes" cartoon characters, et cetera.
    - difficulty is quite variable, from incredibly easy to very tough depending on same level quests, - inventory is too much reduced,
    - quality loot is extremely rare, and unlike in Borderlands 1 enemies rarely drop the guns they are using during the battles. the last 2 feature are not a huge problem, but if we consider the overall tone of the game, the result is very much a delusion.
    I'm very sorry to write this, but it is what I really think after playing Borderlands 2. There are anyway some good features, as
    - the variety of the classes - the variety of situation the player has to face during the campaign quests and the side quests. - The environment is quite beautiful and the cars available are really fun to use. - Claptrap is as always a funny egocentric robot, the only part of the game that made me smile a little bit. This is it. More objectively, the game is not worth its price, even if the DLCs have been quickly dispatched from gearbox right after a few weeks.
  53. Oct 24, 2012
    Very, very nice game. And one of the things that makes this game so good is that 2K Games succeded in what is nearly impossiple: Making a game that is better than it's predecessor in every way. The story is better, the talent system is better, the jokes are funnier and most importantly: The loot is way more awesome! The only reason i only gave this game 9/10 is because the single player isVery, very nice game. And one of the things that makes this game so good is that 2K Games succeded in what is nearly impossiple: Making a game that is better than it's predecessor in every way. The story is better, the talent system is better, the jokes are funnier and most importantly: The loot is way more awesome! The only reason i only gave this game 9/10 is because the single player is a lot worse than the multiplayer. Especially the last stand system is completly **** when there is no one to revive you. So i think i would give the multiplayer a 10/10 and then the single player about 7/10. Expand
  54. Sep 18, 2012
    Alright, let's get the fact that this game is a console port out of the way. It's a console port. There I said it, now let's get over it. Moving on to the important parts, such as gameplay, narrative, and graphics, the things people actually give a flying f*** about. If you've played the first, then you'll know what the gameplay is like. It's the same basic idea, random weapon generatorAlright, let's get the fact that this game is a console port out of the way. It's a console port. There I said it, now let's get over it. Moving on to the important parts, such as gameplay, narrative, and graphics, the things people actually give a flying f*** about. If you've played the first, then you'll know what the gameplay is like. It's the same basic idea, random weapon generator creates hundreds of weapons, you shoot enemies, enemies die,you get loot and experience. And you know what? That's a recipe for some good gameplay in my book. I also think Gearbox made the right move in creating four all new Vault Hunters, while making the originals important to the story. That leads me to the next part, which is the story. Basically, you're a Vault Hunter, Handsome Jack is evil and cruel, you must kill him before he finds the new Vault and uses it to rule all of Pandora. Pretty straightforward, but it works. And Jack is just one of those antagonists you hate from the very beginning. He's rude, sarcastic, cruel, and, well...evil, I guess would be the right word. It's a straightforward plot, but it's a bloody good one. My only complaint are the PC's vehicle controls, which are a bit...what's a good word...clunky. But that's a small complaint as I got used to them fairly quickly. Now, for the graphics...honestly, I couldn't care less that the graphics aren't as good on the PC version as they are on the consoles. Why? Because I don't need fancy graphics to keep me entertained. The core of a game is how it plays, not how it looks. Give me a game with good gameplay and bad graphics over a game with bad gameplay and good graphics any day. To sum up, it's a very well done game, and a worthy sequel to the original. I recommend it, regardless of which platform you get it for. Expand
  55. Sep 26, 2012
    Bored after a few days, game play gets super repetitive. Wait 'til next Steam Summer Sale to buy this game. Definitely NOT worth $60. Blah blah blah, my review must be at least 150 characters long but this game does not need that much said about it because there is nothing to say.
  56. Sep 20, 2012
    Outstanding. Meets the brilliant and non stop fun level of its predecessor. I would honestly call this, the game of the year. The large scale map and over 50+ hours of single player is exactly the type of game I am interested in. I would recommend this to everyone who enjoys any game.
  57. Sep 18, 2012
    Overall good game and well priced, Day one DLC isn't released on day one, and preorder bonus is achievable by registering at gearbox. Multiplayer is broken, but every game has its day one bugs.
  58. Sep 20, 2012
    This game is so freakin awesome! There are no other words for it. If anyone wants to CO-OP on the computer, go to my gaming communities Steam page and join our Community. You can find it here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/synergy-community

Happy Gaming!!! :)

~Princess
  59. Sep 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very fun, a very entertaining story. It has perfect mix of comedic and serious game-play. The weapon system is simple, which works out well since there are so many weapons that you can obtain. The only reason that i give this a 9, is that the game is less fun in single player than in multiplayer. My recommendation, call your friends, and get playing. Expand
  60. Sep 27, 2012
    This game is overrated. The art design, gameplay (with friends), unique weapons and voice actors are good, I can't deny that. But however, the story became predictable and following the storyline became difficult. This is a game were some minor cutscenes are required to develop the characters and tell the story. Also, the map or 'areas' are extremely bland. A large wasteland of ice orThis game is overrated. The art design, gameplay (with friends), unique weapons and voice actors are good, I can't deny that. But however, the story became predictable and following the storyline became difficult. This is a game were some minor cutscenes are required to develop the characters and tell the story. Also, the map or 'areas' are extremely bland. A large wasteland of ice or sand. Move through until you find a camp were enemies will spawn. Repeat. Also when you are playing with your friends, one person cannot play without the others at any time unless they create a different character. If you level higher than your friends and play the game with them, they will be up against enemies that are much harder then their usual enemies leaving the 1 higher level person to do all the fighting while gaining almost no XP or good loot for themself. It sounds OK in theory but in-game it does not work. Looting is fun but I found I never seemed to wield an adequate weapon for the level I had attained even after finding large chests during high level quests. The skill tree is also incredibly tedious to go through. Gaining 1 skill point per level and needing approx 5 points in a skill to unlock further down the tree takes a long time while only gaining small bonus's. The enemies are quite well designed but they become repetitive when you are reaching the end of the game (+ side quests). There will be the basic bandits + the "badass ones" and the same goes for most of the monsters / enemies. Although the Hyperion bots did have a lot of diversity in weaponry they were NOT unique most of the time. This game was fun for the first half but by the end I just wanted to finish the game and get it over with. You feel no need to want to play this game again after finishing it so I don't believe it's worth the $70 price stamp here in Australia. I won't be buying the DLC. If you like co-op games like Left 4 Dead were you run around shooting the crap out of things with your mates and progressing through the bland story (not saying that's a bad thing) then pick this game up. if you prefer more developed characters and story line with interesting and unique levels then I would think twice and investigate further before buying this game. -emplex Expand
  61. Sep 24, 2012
    I'd love to slap a great big 10 on this title and say its a great game, but in trying to do so, I'd be giving up a great deal of my integrity.

Borderlands 2 picks up a few years later from where the original dropped us off, and I suspect that's a big part of the problem. Nothing's really changed. After it's original success the games industry has learned from Borderlands, and a lot of games have borrowed from it, innovated around it and developed it all since then. Borderlands 2 feels more like an expansion to the original than a new game. It's been polished a bit, but overall in their efforts to maintain the look and feel in the sequel, you get the overwhelming feeling that 2K were too afraid to innovate or try anything especially new.

Whilst I've not accounted for it in my score, it's also worth noting that at launch the game comes complete with a bug that renders the game impossible to play for a large number of users with multi-core AMD processors. 2K/Gearbox themselves won't even acknowledge the fault and the only advice that anyone seems to be able to get about the issue is to flash your motherboard bios with the latest firmware. Whilst this process isn't so inherently dangerous as it used to be, it's still a pretty extreme fix to make up for poor coding and Q&A. The fact that for many users this fix either doesn't work or is impossible (because a user has the latest bios files) is especially painful for some, and has forced others, myself included, to download 3rd party apps like Orochi-CEG to correct the problem (which at the time of writing can only be found by googling for dubious download links from random forums)

Needless to say, caveat emptor, the game may not work and may leave you feeling a little underwhelmed if it does. It might be worth your while waiting until the devs release a few patches (assuming they ever acknowledge the issues people are trying to report to them) or possibly even a GOTY edition before sinking money into this product. I'd also suggest waiting for a sale, so that you can pick this up for the kind of price you'd pay for a good expansion pack, because in all honesty, that's all you're getting.
  62. Sep 19, 2012
    There are a lot of things being said regarding this game that are simple fallacies. I'll try and address them. Is this game a console port? It was developed simultaneously on PC/X360/PS3 with platform specific functions and abilities. If you want to call that a console port, go ahead, but the PC version is far and away the version to play if you don't care for using a controller onThere are a lot of things being said regarding this game that are simple fallacies. I'll try and address them. Is this game a console port? It was developed simultaneously on PC/X360/PS3 with platform specific functions and abilities. If you want to call that a console port, go ahead, but the PC version is far and away the version to play if you don't care for using a controller on FPS. Is there Day 1 DLC? The "Season Pass" gives you access to DLC ahead of time, but in no means gives you part of the story of the game that was included with the game. If you want to jump into your friends game who go the premier club edition, he might have more loot than you and thats about it. He doesn't have additional content. Is this a moneygrab? I've said this about EA many times, simply because they produce a horrible game with a big time franchise name. Gearbox is giving us the second title in a fledgling series, so no, this is NOT a money grab. The game is shoot and loot, it even has a raid boss when you hit level cap. So, I think I've covered most bases, if you're rating this game low because all you do is kill things and get loot, then you bought the WRONG GAME. That said, if you enjoyed the first Borderlands, you're in for a awesome treat. And if you didn't play the first, you're in for a awesome treat! This game is leaps and bounds above its predecessor, with almost all of its major mechanics being improved. The gun play endlessly robust with an exponential amount of options available on every class of gun. No longer are you really building your character around a particular weapon, but actually building up class skills that may compliment a particular class of guns. You can still use a rocket launcher effectively as a sniper. Graphically, the PC is excellent looking, provided you have the hardware to run it. Turn up the Physx and you get some pretty cool particle effects. Don't have a nV card? The game is still vibrant and beautiful. Looking to play with friends? Slipping in and out of friends games is now much easier and simple. You can connect through Steamworks, giving the appearance of XBL or PSN. Because its built into the front end of the game, you just choose a friend and GO. Things that still need work : movement mechanics are still a little strange. Walking around and not being able to jump over or on something still pops up. Driving mechanics are still fairly flat, but there are many vehicle options this go-around. You are now able to customize the aesthetics of your character and vehicles given dropped items in game. So there you have it, a game which completely dominates its predecessor in every aspect while rolling up some of the more modern abilities of multiplayer and offering one of the most unique gaming experiences via the FPS/RPG hybrid. Thank you Gearbox, we need more developers that have your integrity! Expand
  63. Sep 18, 2012
    Outstanding game, Gearbox has outdone themselves again except better than ever. I would have preferred they stuck with the old in game font, but I can live with this one. Loot is great, enemies are creative and awesome looking, graphically this game works great on a variety of gaming PCs. If you use PhysX this game looks STUNNING. I love cel shaded graphics, and the PhysX technology justOutstanding game, Gearbox has outdone themselves again except better than ever. I would have preferred they stuck with the old in game font, but I can live with this one. Loot is great, enemies are creative and awesome looking, graphically this game works great on a variety of gaming PCs. If you use PhysX this game looks STUNNING. I love cel shaded graphics, and the PhysX technology just takes it to the next level. With this game and Torchlight 2 coming out, I think I'll have to quit out on a social life completely. Expand
  64. Jan 1, 2013
    In a nutshell, Borderlands 2 is a slightly improved version of Borderlands , but just that. The main villain, Handsome Jack, was excellently voiced and much of the game had good writing, but the game is simply boring. At certain points of the game, the story feels like it can actually progress somewhere, but half the time you would simply be going through a repetitive and obnoxiousIn a nutshell, Borderlands 2 is a slightly improved version of Borderlands , but just that. The main villain, Handsome Jack, was excellently voiced and much of the game had good writing, but the game is simply boring. At certain points of the game, the story feels like it can actually progress somewhere, but half the time you would simply be going through a repetitive and obnoxious shooting gallery full of dumb NPCs, only to get to a generic boss battle where the only strategy to defeat the boss is to continuously shoot its weak spot for massive damage. The story is simply too thin for me to care about half the events that happen. The concepts in this game have been used over and over again. Not to mention the guns are EXTREMELY lacking in a game which boasts so much about the variety of guns available. Only one out of every thousand generic gun you pick up will be anything interesting, but sadly it will be useless in only an hour, as all the enemies will become much stronger, rendering that gun completely useless. Game stability on PC is also questionable, as it can easily decide to crash or freeze on you, and then screw you over when the checkpoint save system does not save your progression correctly. Movement is sloppy and either Pandora's gravity is ridiculously low, or all the characters hover in the air when they jump. Playing cooperatively is a kick in the balls when you fight all the way through an area only to have your teammates take all the loot. Expand
  65. Sep 24, 2012
    Game is awesome, and much better than I initially expected.. This is a superb port, and has proper PC options. Gameplay/levels themselves are varied and highly fun. Playing in coop with friends or even strangers is incredibly fun. Overall, this is a great game and a GOTY contender.
  66. Sep 18, 2012
    Best co-op game I have ever played. There are so many guns and the world is so beautiful. The shooting is fast and fun and the game has the most diverse enemy list I have ever seen. The PC version is easily the best version as well.
  67. Sep 20, 2012
    One of the best games of 2011 if not the best. I haven't had this much fun since.. well borderlands. Graphics, sound and areas are superb. Co-op connectivity has been fixed (B1 was pretty bad) and it's a blast to play with friends. I have nothing negative to say about this game. GET IT!
  68. Oct 30, 2012
    "Art style and presentation is fantastic. Works very well on PC and, voice acting helps drive the story forward. The decoration of the areas, for want of a better word, is lush and interesting."
    Things like this is why the PC is f****d, 2d games with bad graphics that have a bit of a story & some (term used loosely) fun game play.
    People never learn that bad console ports only harm. I'd
    People never learn that bad console ports only harm.
    I'd sooner sit on a wasp nest than play this again! Played once, un-installed! Utter tripe!
    It gets "1" for the sound, about all it's worth.
  69. Nov 12, 2012
    Really mediocre game. I expected a lot more after Borderlands 1, but it couldn't hold up to the name. Repetitive action and bosses along with boring ability trees and average player characters (where is the hunter ?) Scenario is too shallow and everything seemed like .... "been there, done that". Better luck next time !
  70. Sep 18, 2012
    It's more Borderlands, except now Borderlands is better. It's like the first game was a rough plaster statue hastily thrown together, you could still admire the idea but it was rather rough, and Borderlands 2 is a fine marble version of the same statue, only now it's cleaner and glows on the colors of the light spectrum.
  71. Sep 19, 2012
    So good that it puts BL1 to shame. I dont understand the need for all the negative reviews by conspiracy theorists when games actually receive a phenomenal score.
  72. Sep 19, 2012
    My opinion/review is simple. BUY IT! If you like FPS+RPG+endless loot this is for you. If you don't like long, in depth games DON'T BUY IT! This game is highly recommended by myself and is much easier than the 1st one and looks/feels better too! Keep in mind this is based on opinion and not fact. This is from my own personal experiences. ENJOY!!!
  73. Sep 29, 2012
    Feels like a fan made Mod of Borderlands 1.
    Do I like it? that would be yes only because I liked the first one. If I knew that nothing had really improved much would I have bought the game again? Then that would be a no :)
    Feels like a fan made Mod of Borderlands 1.
    If you like the first game keep playing it your missing out on nothing IMO. The first game with mildly better graphics (still poor for todays games though) a few slightly different class changes, bigger maps and bigger yet still annoying scripts. 6/10 and only because I still play the first game now and again.
  74. Feb 17, 2013
    Borderlands was disappointing.Amazing trailers,cool idead,but it ended up being a boring repetitive shooter where guns had no feel whatsoever.Borderlands 2 is the same game.A long boring hallway praised by the critics.
  75. Sep 22, 2012
    at the time of writing this i am vry annoyed at the game. so far every boss fight i have done has bugged out, and i therefore have to do it again, the texture loading is messed up, and they suddenly decided that a smart thing to do would be to make every gun in the game look as ugly as they could possibly make them.

borderlands 2 should have been an addon to the first. seeming as the

borderlands 2 should have been an addon to the first. seeming as the first games DLC was spectacular, and they decided to change hardly anything for the second game.

then again, could that be a good thing, countless games second installments rarely live up to its predecessors, yet this feels so naturally borderlands that its like playing the same game. i would therefore say that it porbarbl is an improvement.

its not helped by deciding to start you in the ugly barrand snowwy peaks which are just awful to look at.

as for the love letter from claptrap, yes it has nice options, but i was still expecting more, i dont just want an option of "low medium and high" i want to choose the precice distance. anything that is in that .ini file, i want as an option!

the PhysX is rarther nice though, just adding that little sparkle, but none of the Physx effect fit in with the rest of the game. the style is all wrong, so it just looks unatural.

and of course my biggest gripe. since the underdome addon i think it was brutaly clear that this game is heavily focused on multiplayer co-op. by all means, we need more co-op gaes out there, but dont punish me for being a single player. its not quite EA's level of ONLINE IS NUMBER ONE, ONLINE MUST DOMINATE" but as a single player i would like to be able to have some automatic function that if i do get downed, i can pay to revive myself on the spot, not have to go through a new you station and therefore reset all the enemies in that level, to simply die the same way as before. it feels as though 2K just didnt listen to a single person, and simply went their own way creating what is even worse than what activision do with their call of duty franchise.

and my final gripe is the classes. by al means, add new classes, but dont mess up our previous classes. i had to run with the boring soldier, as there was no hunter with the formidable and amazing bloodwing.

all i can say is i fear that i will once again bugg out after spending 40 grueling minutes trying to fight a boss that was designed to be killed with 4 players (cough crawmarex the invincible cough), and simply get responses of "well maybey you should just play some c-op with friends"
  76. Sep 21, 2012
    Borderlands 2 has the same plusses and minuses as Left 4 Dead 2; it adds new characters, gameplay mechanics and such, but it feels too much like the original game to feel like anything more than a DLC bundle. If you liked Borderlands, you'll still like this, but if you're short on cash, don't start saving your pocket change for it.
  77. Feb 12, 2013
    Borderlands 1 had some charm to it being new and aspiring cross between rpg's and fps's. This helped a lot when over looking its short coming as there was little to compare it to. Borderlands 2 doesn't have this, even if the only game we can compare it to is BL1. Here lies the biggest problem with BL2, it is BL1 but without the charm. It not only has lost the charm of being the new kid onBorderlands 1 had some charm to it being new and aspiring cross between rpg's and fps's. This helped a lot when over looking its short coming as there was little to compare it to. Borderlands 2 doesn't have this, even if the only game we can compare it to is BL1. Here lies the biggest problem with BL2, it is BL1 but without the charm. It not only has lost the charm of being the new kid on the block but in many ways its actually worse. Now I'm not going to go down that road of supplying fanboi's with technical specifications on how or what is worse in BL2 over BL1 since I know better than that. I know for example that the whole does not equal the sum of its parts. This is especially true with pretty much any creative work. Borderlands 2 lacks the creative element that the first one had, it certainly doesn't feel like you even have a purpose unlike its predecessor. Its meaningless and dead to put it bluntly, it feels empty. Worse than a beta test product, because this is meant to be a sequel to a pretty good game that had a lot going for it. I found it frustratingly underwhelming to the point of wishing for my money back (and I got it for 50% off). Its games like this that leave me seriously wondering what kind of people would honestly encourage their friends to buy this as did mine to a lesser extent.

How on earth does a game like this get such high ratings? The only answer can be the lack of any substantial good games out there these days. Hence, this game sits on top of the pile. Not a very proud accomplishment in anyone's books. My score 1
  78. Sep 19, 2012
    Too little ammo, too unbalanced skilled, too monotonous level and when some one's level is higher on you, they will kick your ass to your dead. Although it is faster, tougher, bigger than borderlands1, I don't think it is a much better game than borderlands1. It makes players very tired

79. Nov 30, 2012
    I don't usually do this, but Gearbox made a big deal about how much they were going to optimize for the PC, especially with all that special NVidia stuff, and now it's just busted. Installed and re-installed this game twice and all that happens is that it crashes 5 seconds after launch. I have the HD 6670 and FX-4100, and all my drivers are up to date. Paid full price too. Damn shame itsI don't usually do this, but Gearbox made a big deal about how much they were going to optimize for the PC, especially with all that special NVidia stuff, and now it's just busted. Installed and re-installed this game twice and all that happens is that it crashes 5 seconds after launch. I have the HD 6670 and FX-4100, and all my drivers are up to date. Paid full price too. Damn shame its near impossible to resell pc games. Thanks Gearbox Expand
  80. Dec 28, 2012
    This is MMO-lite. You really need to play with friends online. I was interested in this as an offline, single player game and was severely disappointed. There are a lot of fun character builds that interested me and sure anything is "possible" single player, but its just really not fun by yourself. Reviews and feedback from friends were misleading on how online dependent it is and IThis is MMO-lite. You really need to play with friends online. I was interested in this as an offline, single player game and was severely disappointed. There are a lot of fun character builds that interested me and sure anything is "possible" single player, but its just really not fun by yourself. Reviews and feedback from friends were misleading on how online dependent it is and I felt mislead. Between the pacing, repetitive nature, and a number of solo-challenged builds make this game rely on online far too much if you're not expecting it. Expand
  81. Sep 20, 2012
    Damn near perfect, even for a console port. It is early on launch day yet it feels crisp and clean. Controlling your character is far easier this time around as the control are much better developed for the PC. The humor is dark, although the story is a little more serious this time around. About an hour in to the game you really want to kill Handsome Jack, and if you still think he is aDamn near perfect, even for a console port. It is early on launch day yet it feels crisp and clean. Controlling your character is far easier this time around as the control are much better developed for the PC. The humor is dark, although the story is a little more serious this time around. About an hour in to the game you really want to kill Handsome Jack, and if you still think he is a cool dude by then you're pretty **** up. If you liked Borderlands you will find that this is a true sequel that lives up to the hype. They did a great job of melding the story of Borderlands with Borderlands 2. I know, I know they are sequels but GearBox didn't really set the first game up for having a sequel. I guess since the story in the original was kinda of lacking it makes sense that it was easy to mold the two together. Overall Borderlands 2 is a great improvement on the original connecting with friends is far easier now that Steam has been fully integrated, even though it is still a little buggy when connecting initially. Maybe the best improvement they have made is the size of the game. The world feels large and looks large, not the mention it is beautiful. I can run this game on almost the highest setting on my laptop. (Note: I do have a ASUS RoG laptop designed for games but it is kind of dated) If you have a computer that can handle CoD you will be fine. Expand
  82. Oct 22, 2012
    I would sum this game up as "Meh" The shooting is fun, I like the loot system (Even if a couple of the weapon types are 100% useless) and for the most part I enjoyed the missions.

The boss battles can have crazy difficulty spikes making for some major frustration, this can be made much worse if your loot drops have not given you a weapon type you need to win a fight. In order for

In order for this game to get a better score from me it needs to have boss fights that rely less on needing special weapon type X, and or better balancing when in solo mode.
  83. Sep 19, 2012
    This is a vast improvement over BL1. Definitely a great port, almost as good as a pc exclusive title. Gameplay is fun, environment is more lively, and new characters are awesome. BL2 is hilarious, so many great punchlines. Originally, the game crashed and I couldn't play. Had to update my BIOS. (AMD/Gigabyte)
    But that does not warrant for a lower rating.

84. Sep 19, 2012
    Excellent game. Vastly superior to the original, far more engaging. Many reviewers are moaning about the PC port but in my opinion, this is the best AAA port in a while. There are numerous pc exclusive graphical options in Borderlands 2; from what I have seen, it looks much better than it's console counterparts.
  85. Sep 18, 2012
    Borderlands 2.0 is most certainly a worthy sequel to Borderlands and it's huge stable of DLC (most of which are awesome, though, screw Underdome). More gun variety, new missions, updated graphics (with great tweaks, including an FOV slider for the queasy among us), more colorful maps, and spectacular humor, this game will appease the hunger of any BL1 fans.
  86. Sep 19, 2012
    First off, this is NOT a console port(Did you guys even play the game?). Again to repeat what has been said before, If you like the first one you'll love this one. New dialogue is great, new weapons is awesome! There is enough variance in this game to make it different from the first one (from skill tree changes, to the options in game). The game delivers on what they said they would, itsFirst off, this is NOT a console port(Did you guys even play the game?). Again to repeat what has been said before, If you like the first one you'll love this one. New dialogue is great, new weapons is awesome! There is enough variance in this game to make it different from the first one (from skill tree changes, to the options in game). The game delivers on what they said they would, its all about killing and looting.

The only real disappointment I have with the game are the in game UI's. They do feel clunky and awkward to use, and I do think the Borderlands 1 had better UI's. I don't like having to click an arrow to view whats in my backpack, or to view all my skills in the trees. But this doesn't completely take away from the game for me.
  87. Sep 19, 2012
    PC Makes A Difference
    When it comes to first-person shooters, there are going to be (loud) arguments from console and PC supporters about why their platform is superior. Gearbox released a
  88. Sep 19, 2012
    Borderlands 2 is an absolutely phenomenal game that features many aspects of the original with some added tweaks and improvements + a fresh story line. The game is a hands down 9, 10 in my case since I was a big fan of the original and I'm happy they didn't try to fix a system that wasn't broken. I'd like to address the dissenters who are complaining about the game and through that, alsoBorderlands 2 is an absolutely phenomenal game that features many aspects of the original with some added tweaks and improvements + a fresh story line. The game is a hands down 9, 10 in my case since I was a big fan of the original and I'm happy they didn't try to fix a system that wasn't broken. I'd like to address the dissenters who are complaining about the game and through that, also point out the positives of the game. First of all, if Metacritic is deleting your reviews, it's because you are giving a game a "0" that is clearly a 7 at bare minimum. I honestly can't think of any game I've ever played literally being a "0," and honestly I don't think the dissenters have either. Over exaggeration and trolling should be deleted. It's good they are deleting your reviews, because to be honest, you're just trolling and damaging the reputation of a company based on your own obnoxious behavior. No one has time to put up with little 15 year olds and their complaining. In regards to the complaints about the game as a PC port, the game was ported over very well. The controls are great and they give you a large amount of personal customization. I find it funny people are calling it a bad port, yet have no reasons for making this assertion. The graphics are excellent as well, it is a cell shaded game, so if you dislike cell shading, then you won't like these graphics. However, to say the game has bad graphics is a lie, because for what it is, the graphics are detailed, crisp, and vibrant. I'm playing on a 1080p display with the graphics maxed and visually, it is very pleasing. Even on the lower graphic levels, the game is still better than the graphics on the original and looks better than any console game. I've also seen people complain about day 1 DLC, however, this is entirely false. There is no DLC released for Borderlands 2 yet, and most of it, if any, won't be released until 2013. What 2k is offering is a season pass, meaning if you buy the season pass, which will include access to ALL DLC released for this game FOREVER, you can buy the DLC at one low cost. It's basically a way for fans of the game to get large quantities of future DLC at a lower cost then buying individually. Think bulk purchase. If you were to be upset about that, then it seems your general complaint is about DLC in general, which is an absolutely foolish complaint. The game play mostly consists of shooting, looting, and questing. I personally enjoy that, and it if sounds appealing to you, then you will probably like this game. If not, then oh well. I've had my share of complaints regarding Metacritic in the past, such as with Diablo 3, however, on this one, Metacritic is spot on. Expand
  89. Sep 24, 2012
    This is the second game of the summer to hit a sequel out of the park. The slightly comic book, gritty graphic style has stayed but has seen some nice detailed improvements. The UI has seen incredible improvements but still struggles to keep everything organized when you're comparing things in a store. This is a very enjoyable FPS action adventure that will have you laughing and enjoyingThis is the second game of the summer to hit a sequel out of the park. The slightly comic book, gritty graphic style has stayed but has seen some nice detailed improvements. The UI has seen incredible improvements but still struggles to keep everything organized when you're comparing things in a store. This is a very enjoyable FPS action adventure that will have you laughing and enjoying yourself, provided you're not so uptight that you can't laugh at a bit of facetious throwback humor. Developers take note on sequels from this and TL2 this summer.. if it's not broke, don't fix it. Expand
  90. Oct 5, 2012
    *pros* *the game runs well*
    *Graphically they really tried and you can see that over the first game*
    *some intense moments* *nice range of bosses* *Dlcs to come Cons* *slow moving* *pointless a-b missions to fill plot gap* *tedious to play* *boring after a short while* *bazillion guns? pff there all just a few models with different stats( like the first game)* *the ending seemed
    *pros* *the game runs well*
    *Graphically they really tried and you can see that over the first game*
    *some intense moments*
    *nice range of bosses*
    *Dlcs to come Cons*
    *slow moving*
    *pointless a-b missions to fill plot gap*
    *tedious to play*
    *boring after a short while*
    *the ending seemed better then last game but still dissapointing*
    *some of the characters skills have not been well thought out*
    *item menu, glitchy scroll lock ups are regular* *Conclusion worth £29.99? erm...no.. not to me*
    *seems more like a huge dlc for the first game then a brand new game*
  91. Oct 6, 2012
    Borderlands 2 one-ups the entire gaming industry by making achievements a meaningful and fun venture that awards you with something that matters rather than a digital "star" to put on your refrigerator.

The first Borderlands game was a solid 9.0 across the board. I have played thousands of games in my lifetime and this is one of the very few games to take itself and its customers so seriously as to make a sequel that is better in every way imaginable. Nothing this explosive as a sequel has come out of the industry since Mario Brothers and Final Fantasy. Since then gamers have been getting ripped off in every way imaginable it seems BL2 even released with fewer bugs than I have seen in a PC release in over a decade.

I very rarely write game reviews since there is so much garbage out there, but this game deserves a lot of gamer love.
  92. Oct 11, 2012
    Being a big fan of Borderlands 1 I pre-ordered the sequel through Steam. Gearbox did very well to say at least. The main game is huge, graphics are awesome, the new classes are okay, some of the NPC are really well done (Tiny Tina comes to mind). Hopefully Gearbox will expand their story lines in the planned DLC.

The biggest improvement for me is the variety of mobs compared to the

The biggest improvement for me is the variety of mobs compared to the first game. PC port is okay, the in game inventory interface are still a bit strange though.

Even for the AAA title price tag this game is a must for every FPS fan.
  93. Oct 11, 2012
    They say there are bazillions of guns. I have finished the game and can confirm there are lots of guns but have only got about 3 that are any good and one of those was offered to me from a friend. It is a shame that playing on single player increases the chance of finding rubbish items, there is no need for this because the odds are against you anyway. A tip to the developers; please don'tThey say there are bazillions of guns. I have finished the game and can confirm there are lots of guns but have only got about 3 that are any good and one of those was offered to me from a friend. It is a shame that playing on single player increases the chance of finding rubbish items, there is no need for this because the odds are against you anyway. A tip to the developers; please don't make the single player experience so unattractive.

I have scored this game in to halves: 5 points for the multi player and no points for the pointless single player mode.
  94. Feb 3, 2013
    Borderlands 2 is a terrible game design. It’s boring, tedious, repetitive, and it never actually rewards the player. It’s obviously a successful design because people continue to play and enjoy it. But can you really, honestly say that it’s a great video game?
    It’s the same post MMORPG find-and-fetch or kill X number of Y kind of affair. It’s still boring as hell to drive way the hell out to a way-point and trundle around looking for an item you’re supposed to retrieve while shooting a bunch of bad guys that pretty much just run at you.

This game simply sucks... I have nothing more to say.
  95. May 17, 2013
    Exactly like Borderlands 1. Also boring and repetitive. I only bought this because it was on sale and I heard they improved a lot. They improved nothing. If you like Diablo 3 you will like this game. It's equally repetitive, mindless, pointless and boring. I tried to like this game, but I kept wanting to quit playing, I forced myself to play some more, hoping that the game woudl start toExactly like Borderlands 1. Also boring and repetitive. I only bought this because it was on sale and I heard they improved a lot. They improved nothing. If you like Diablo 3 you will like this game. It's equally repetitive, mindless, pointless and boring. I tried to like this game, but I kept wanting to quit playing, I forced myself to play some more, hoping that the game woudl start to become fun. It didn't. It sucks, borderlands 2 is a sucky game. The fact that so many people like this kind of game is worrying to me, what are gamers becoming? Expand
  96. AWG
    Aug 13, 2013
    Never played the first one but I was intrigued by the critical acclaim Borderlands 2 received so I tried it up.
    My opinion is that it's a good game, but it's not a masterpiece. Graphics are awesome and some missions are really well designed but the overall story is not that intriguing and the neverending blabbering by Clap Trap is annoying as hell.
  97. Nov 26, 2013
    Everything you find now will be useless in 15 minutes completely killing your desire for you, the "treasure hunter". to pick up the "treasure". Fail safe check in the form of "save your life" to check if you've been slaving away at picking up the soon to be useless loot. Don't bother with that one gold in the locker, in 15 minutes, lockers will have 10 times as much gold in them. Only oneEverything you find now will be useless in 15 minutes completely killing your desire for you, the "treasure hunter". to pick up the "treasure". Fail safe check in the form of "save your life" to check if you've been slaving away at picking up the soon to be useless loot. Don't bother with that one gold in the locker, in 15 minutes, lockers will have 10 times as much gold in them. Only one real active skill and the rest are passive useless skills that barely do anything when compared to how quickly your new item damage scales. Put your one point in your active skill and feel free to ignore the rest of your skill tree. The game also requires no skill required. Add that all together and you have a perfect little hamster wheel. How long will you keep running inside the hamster wheel is all up to you. Expand
  98. Sep 19, 2012
    No idea what game people whining about "console port" are playing. The PC version here is a huge improvement over Borderlands 1. Multiplayer is fully integrated into Steam and worked great for me, instead of tacked on Gamespy stuff. The menus are better designed for the PC. Graphics options exist now. This is easily the best looking version of the game. Oh yeah, and it's fun! Some peopleNo idea what game people whining about "console port" are playing. The PC version here is a huge improvement over Borderlands 1. Multiplayer is fully integrated into Steam and worked great for me, instead of tacked on Gamespy stuff. The menus are better designed for the PC. Graphics options exist now. This is easily the best looking version of the game. Oh yeah, and it's fun! Some people will whine about anything it seems, but the rest of us will be busy shooting things for fun and profit. Expand
  99. Sep 23, 2012
    Slick. Polished. Addictive in a good way. Basically diablo 2 with guns and physx particles flying everywhere. And no stupid RMAH that destroys any addiction to the loot system. I'm 30 hrs in to the game, playing it drop in / out co-op with steam friends and it is very very awesome. FOV is right. .ini settings work. This is a decent PC version. The storyline is actually interesting andSlick. Polished. Addictive in a good way. Basically diablo 2 with guns and physx particles flying everywhere. And no stupid RMAH that destroys any addiction to the loot system. I'm 30 hrs in to the game, playing it drop in / out co-op with steam friends and it is very very awesome. FOV is right. .ini settings work. This is a decent PC version. The storyline is actually interesting and there's lots of nice visual moments in the game along with a brilliant cast and accompanying dialogue that can be funny in all sorts of ways (whether it's because it's soo not funny that it is, or because they sometimes nail taking the piss out of another game/movie/reference.). Definitely recommend it, especially if you have other steam friends to play it with. Expand
  100. Sep 22, 2012
    Really enjoyable game. Not sure why people are complaining, "it's more of Borderlands." Well yeah, it is. That's what we wanted and asked for. Only this one is very polished and frankly hella fun. I can't put it down (was up until 3:40am last night playing).

Just an extremely engaging comic-book style run and gun game. How can you be disappointed about a million guns, a million enemies, funny writing and more quests than you can shake a stick at?

Well deserving of a "9" score.

It’s addicting, full of creative gags and amazing battles (especially in co-op mode) and it keeps dangling that loot-carrot in front of your face. Add that crazy humor on top and you have a synonymous for the world ‘entertainment’. [November 2012]
  2. Dec 3, 2012
    If you're looking for something with a ponderous story full of morality and contemplation – one best savored alone – then you'll need to look elsewhere. Borderlands 2 delivers tons of lighthearted, occasionally juvenile fun with immense replayability, and is best approached with a few buddies in tow. It doesn't revolutionize the concept pioneered by its forebear, but it refines it to a razor-sharp edge and offers some of the most fun you can have in a cooperative action RPG this side of Diablo II. And if nothing else, it's got lots of Claptrap.
  3. Oct 30, 2012
    The moment at which my endearingly annoying robot companion Claptrap fashioned himself a Mohawk out of some animal fur I collected he earned a spot on my all-time favorite robot list.