Borderlands 2 PC

8.2

1. Oct 1, 2012
    Art style and presentation is fantastic. Works very well on PC and, voice acting helps drive the story forward. The decoration of the areas, for want of a better word, is lush and interesting. Character animation when shooting is fun and the ragdoll physics makes the world feel nice and alive.

However I'm 30 hours in and I can feel the repetitive gameplay become more evident as the novelty wears off. I didn't play Borderlands 1 and I can imagine if I had I'd be quite bored.

My main complaint is with the limited scale of the areas. The game world feels cramped, this is no Capital Wasteland. I make the comparison as the scale, complexity and exploration aspects of Fallout 3 is something that I started to crave. Especially as when completing an area, taking up to an hour to advance the story, the next side mission you take often has you going literally around in circles through the same area you've just cleared, fighting instantly respawned enemies, and even respawned bosses. I've come to the conclusion that running through the story missions and actively avoiding side missions is the only way I can keep interest in the game after the 25 hour mark.

The bipedal enemies are fun in the most part, but the creature enemies I found annoying. They almost always run at you and swarm you, which is doubly annoying when they respawn behind you. And finally the big USP is the limitless amount of guns. This is slightly disingenuous as there are 4 gun classes underneath which all guns are roughly similar. They have randomised stats, and effects which once you've seen them, aren't too interesting. The loot powers up with your level, so you'll never stumble across a great gun early on. Which also makes playing early side missions and going back to early areas after you've levelled up pointless as all the loot is underpowered, and which is another tick against doing side missions.

This game is pretty but shallow. Which is upsetting as I was hoping for something a bit more subversive, gritty, and epic in scale. If you can live with the repetitiveness and want to get lost in the art style I recommend it. For me I'm counting the days until Firaxis release Xcom.
  2. Oct 4, 2012
    I loved borderlands 1, LOVED it, played it 3 times, was great fun every single time, both by yourself and with others. Now I wanted to love Borderlands 2, I truly did, but something about the game was rubbing me the wrong way all the way through. After finishing the second playthrough and clocked over 100 hours, I can say this at least:

A lot of people, hell almost everyone keeps

A lot of people, hell almost everyone keeps claiming that Borderlands 2 is a big improvement upon the original and that everything is better then the first, truth is it really isnt true.

Some of the most important aspects are done poorly, the guns is a big important part of the game and in the original it wasnt hard to find a gun you found to be perfect. a uber shotgun with high accuracy, 30 round drum, fast fire rate, fast reload speed, pretty much the perfect gun. Well let me stop you right here, you will never, EVER find such a gun in Borderlands 2. Every single gun in this game has something negative to it, in fact I'd go as far as saying they only excel at one aspect at best. Either you have a big clip, or you do high damage, or you have high accuracy, but you'll never have them all. This annoyed me greatly. In 100+ hours I never found a good combat rifle, never found that shotgun that felt just right, etc

Another thing that is done poorly, especially in a game like this that promotes Co-Op so badly, is weapon sharing, it is none existant. in the original game, each character was subtly suggested to use certain weapon types, and this is further encouraged by getting weapon levels after using a type of weapon for a while, which increased the parameters for that type of weapon, for example roland has talents for assault rifles and shotguns, and by using those weapons a lot you get experience in those weapons so you are less likely to pick up other types of weapons and stick with those you specilise in. In BL2 that system is thrown out of the window, everyone is good with all weapon types, which is good, but it also ment I spent 60% of the game with a sniper...as did all of the people I played with, and whenever a weapon chest was opened EVERYONE wanted EVERYTHING, you never heard "hey there is a good smg for you here" or "you take that assault rifle, i speciilize in shotguns" they didnt think that through.

third, and this is just a opinion but I found the humor just not the same this time around, part of what made borderlands 1 so good was the writing. The random events that happend and the dialogue the NPCs said it just fit really well in the world of pandora, even little things like the vendor machine dialogue this time around the NPCs, most of which are newly introduced characters just arent funny, the cutscenes feel forced, the jokes are pretty lame, I didnt chuckle once at these jokes.

Honestly I feel they focused too much on the wrong things. I can honestly tell you, that the few things that were wrong with the original game are fixed in the sequel. The poorly intigrated multiplayer, the constant wasteland enviroment and the relatively easy difficulty of the original, and in that sense, yes they improved the game, but they also butchered the well executed aspects of the original.

Long story short, they focused too much on the story, the enemy variety and uniquely looking enviroment, and weapon looks, but the cost was too high, writing is bad in this game, guns never feel good, and because everyone uses the same guns, co-op is almost pointless since everyone wants to use the same guns, and its impossible to decide who gets what this time around.

I played it for 100 hours so oblivously it wasnt a terrible game, but neither was it exciting.
  3. Sep 18, 2012
    Overall thought it was extremely mediocre. If you really liked the first then you will probably like this one, because not much has changed. It's the same formula, just more of it. Everything they did before has been improved, however, but much of the core gameplay remains unchanged and very boring/static. Writing is the same "2 edgy 4 u" **** that panders to the lowest demographic, filledOverall thought it was extremely mediocre. If you really liked the first then you will probably like this one, because not much has changed. It's the same formula, just more of it. Everything they did before has been improved, however, but much of the core gameplay remains unchanged and very boring/static. Writing is the same "2 edgy 4 u" **** that panders to the lowest demographic, filled with pop-culture references and lame jokes. If all you want to do it fetch stuff and shoot things, then this is your game. If you want a game with substance, look somewhere else. Expand
  4. Sep 19, 2012
    I made this second account to write a more neutral, factual review, since unlike many others here, I actually have played Borderlands 2. The first review is more critical of the game on principle, so I wanted to review it as a game with all the additional factors stripped away. I used actual facts from the PC version, like the cluttered inventory system, the lack of dedicated controls forI made this second account to write a more neutral, factual review, since unlike many others here, I actually have played Borderlands 2. The first review is more critical of the game on principle, so I wanted to review it as a game with all the additional factors stripped away. I used actual facts from the PC version, like the cluttered inventory system, the lack of dedicated controls for features like designating weapons as trash/favorites, the existence of day 1 dlc like the monster arenas and the gearbox weapons and keys, the poor humor that relies on tasteless internet culture like arrow to the knee and other references, and the several small improvements to the game such as the addition of new shot and grenade types, the better graphics and color palette, and the minor pc additions in the settings. What do I get for being honest and factual? Review deleted. Buzz off Gearbox, you cannot censor me. Expand
  5. Aug 26, 2013
    This game comes off as a more finished version of Borderlands. About 10 hours in, the visuals are nicer, the combat is fun (same), and there seems to be more NPC talking. The killer for me was the decision to replace the Borderlands protagonists with... mutant-twin-copypasta, lame across the board versions of the Borderlands protagonists. It's my fault for not pre-ordering the game, butThis game comes off as a more finished version of Borderlands. About 10 hours in, the visuals are nicer, the combat is fun (same), and there seems to be more NPC talking. The killer for me was the decision to replace the Borderlands protagonists with... mutant-twin-copypasta, lame across the board versions of the Borderlands protagonists. It's my fault for not pre-ordering the game, but I'm now facing the prospect of waiting until mid-October and shelling out another $10 to play as a character that doesn't seem to be eerily familiar (reasonable or not, I almost instantly feel hostile toward developers who do this). During the DLC of Borderlands I started to feel like I was getting tired of exploring Pandora, and though I was excited going in my enthusiasm for Borderlands 2 is quickly waning. Too much focus was put on trying to make the story "better," and the game as a whole suffered. I played Borderlands when I wanted to mindlessly drive around, kill things, and collect guns. I would have honestly been happier with the same playable characters and new adventures. Expand
  6. Apr 16, 2014
    So funny! The fist play through is pure pleasure. But by the second, third and DLC, I was saturated. Coop was sometimes awesome, but insanely powerful loot turned coop into a walk. Because of the crazy loot, many parts have real badasses to fight that are impossible to solo, but a piece of piss in a group. It was nearly fantastic, but then came over leveling, where you can get matched upSo funny! The fist play through is pure pleasure. But by the second, third and DLC, I was saturated. Coop was sometimes awesome, but insanely powerful loot turned coop into a walk. Because of the crazy loot, many parts have real badasses to fight that are impossible to solo, but a piece of piss in a group. It was nearly fantastic, but then came over leveling, where you can get matched up with people 8+ lvls stronger than you, but you cant tell because lvls stop being numeric at 72. I don;t see the point in wandering around a make believe world where your buddies make the enemy evaporate, while you collect stuff. If only the difficulty balancing was done right. Expand
  7. Feb 25, 2014
    I'm 40 hours into the game but I got bored and ditched it (almost finished it). It's a very good game when compared to the rest of the FPS junk out there. I've finished the original Borderlands twice and this one not even once - both games have a substantially long long play time but the first one, even with the paper thin story was very captivating and had a nice feel of mystery to it.I'm 40 hours into the game but I got bored and ditched it (almost finished it). It's a very good game when compared to the rest of the FPS junk out there. I've finished the original Borderlands twice and this one not even once - both games have a substantially long long play time but the first one, even with the paper thin story was very captivating and had a nice feel of mystery to it. Most great things from the original game are here too, bigger and better. What's the problem then? Well, the few things that are NOT bigger and better, in fact they are abysmall. Humor is almost completely lost, main antagonist is seldom funny and he tries too damn hard, complete with real-life references aimed at mom's basement reddit dwelling teenagers - it definitely kills the mystery. Jokes feel like something that came out of **** constantly poking fun at its own bad writing. The only part of the game that was really immersive and a proper "Borderlands feel" to it was the Caustic Caverns and I think Borderlands fans will agree here, it is the hardest and most fantastic part of the game, it has stunning level design, spectacular monsters and captivating story behind it - the whole place was truly creepy complete with Borderlands' trademark black humor. After that level though, everything else was "meh". What made me quit the game though was the new item system where you get a purple (epic) gun with super short range but a super uber snipe scope - original Borderlands had its "funny weapons", yes, but in amounts of good taste. In this one though, MOST of the stuff is randomly geneated junk and you have an OCEAN of purple/orange items to compare in hopes of finding an ideal gun - this becomes a tedious and boring task. In first BL, ANY orange gun was probably better than what you currently had, in this one though you will have plenty of orange/yellow guns that are completely useless. As you progress in the game this will happen more often. You will end up using a purple weapon 10 levels behind you because all you can find is total junk even aften killing a major boss 5 times. With the "gun skill" attribute removed I was happy thinking now I can use any gun but I just can't FIND any gun that's even remotely usable. With that said I rage quitted the game after I finally found an orange Vladoff minigun but it had some ridiculously extreme attributes that conflicted with each other e.g. over the top precision that you don't need in the first place and too high fire rate but as compensation for those "awesome stats" it had massive recoil effectively making it unusable. Expand
  8. May 25, 2014
    BL2 is still the same tedious game with countless boring fetch quests. I stopped playing it after jamming 30 hours or so on it. This game basically has no difference with BL1, I just feel my time is totally wasted.
  9. Mar 9, 2014
    I finally decided to give this a chance because I was really curious about the humor. Figured I'd be in for a lot of action and fun. Well... if killing the same random enemies on dumb fetch quests over and over, getting relatively worthless loot and thus hearing one joke per hour is your kind of fun, maybe this game is for you.
    The respawn mechanics are simply ridiculous. Enemies spawning
    The respawn mechanics are simply ridiculous. Enemies spawning during boss battles - alright. I'm not a fan of it when it happens so much but still. But then having to fight ALL enemies yet again after finishing a boss and backtracking (because why put a fast travel point maybe after a boss battle when you can stretch the game out by having the player go through the same **** multiple times) is unacceptable.
    And the loot system reeks of Torchlight. Within just a couple of hours of playing, you'll probably simply stop picking up white gear because it's useless anyway. There is so much useless loot that it's more of a chore checking it out rather than being excited about what one might get.
    Also, the controls don't really feel all that great. And It seems to me that the cel-shaded graphics make it more difficult to aim when you aim down the sights.
    It feels like a bit like a bad combination of COD and Torchlight to me. I don't understand why on earth people enjoy it that much.
  10. May 18, 2013
    I found myself becoming bored with Borderlands 2 far to quickly. I've avoided it for ages (finally picked it up on a Steam sale) because I didn't like the artistic direction, funnily enough once I started playing it I then thought the graphics were awesome.

The issue I had is that every fight is the same or at least similar enough that I lost the urge to see what's over the next hill. I'm not exactly sure where it went wrong because on the surface it should be very similar to Fallout 3; and I've probably spent more time in that wasteland than is healthy.

The quests don't quite keep me entertained, exploring turns up obvious but samey stages, the enemies look different but fight very similarly. They fall on the wrong side of the line between challenge though smart AI and challenge though soaking up bullets.

Lastly the sound and music lacks impact. Not a broken game by any means but not one I found entertaining.
  11. Nov 4, 2015
    Like other games Far Cry 3 & Dead Space this has unlockable skill levels as you plays on. Look like Halo & Final Fantasy games - visuals look cartoon like, though 3D. Fortress & camps layout like Far Cry 3.

Navigations & mission systems are of the game STALKER's. Some part of this is like Serious Sam. And ... Deus Ex was a once high score game, could someone point to me which part of this game has resemblance to it? May be it's weapon systems that has a lot of selections?

Look childish & console based, that's how Halo sells so well. But mixing it with cruelty & some little horror theme? Confusing!

Takes a good mind to learn how to use the inventory system, swap guns. Finding waypoints that went way out of the mapped map view with no pointed arrow ... huh?! Went into a new region that player don't has enough XP points and Level to venture on, impossible to kill anything in the new region, but able to break mineral rocks to collect level 30 XP weapons that can be sold for over $1,000 while back in the "normal" region you only get to pick up $1 to $3 from cabinets?

Too much works put into this one, end up with not such a big mess. Playable, but knew better why other game makers wont' venture down this kind of path since it's not cost effective & less in revenue return.
  12. Jul 25, 2013
    Well, this is basically "Wasted Potential: The Game". I disliked the first Borderlands game, and didn't want to play the second one. I also heard it being called "Boredomlands" and "Memelands", so... yeah...
    When I got it for free with GTX660 however, I decided to give it a try. Initially, it all felt ok. But then... Let's sum it up: repetitive fetch/kill quests, frequently respawning enemies (which considerably messes with completing secondary (and sometimes even primary) quests), idiotic checkpoint placement, horrible map designs (in terms of ease of moving), a lot of content is put into overpriced DLC etc.

On the upside, it has nice visual designs, variate loot. and big maps.

In the final accord, game has too many poor design choices to be good
  13. Mar 5, 2014
    I tried really hard with this game.

It looks wonderful and its very flashy, but its just not very interesting. I played a good 10+ hours and didn't really enjoy any of it. The best word I could find to describe this game is "bland". You will do the same thing over, and over, and over... in the same locations over and over and over (they look just the same). Also, the voice acting CAN
    I tried really hard with this game.

It looks wonderful and its very flashy, but its just not very interesting.

I played a good 10+ hours and didn't really enjoy any of it. The best word I could find to describe this game is "bland". You will do the same thing over, and over, and over... in the same locations over and over and over (they look just the same). Also, the voice acting CAN become incredibly irritating and juvenile.

It's a shame. Because the look of the game was really interesting. I could only recommend this to people that play nothing but bland console games and don't know any better, or teenage kids who might find the subject matter amusing.
  14. Sep 8, 2013
    Borderlands 2 is a good game that fails to reach its full potential due to design choices that limit the enjoyment of single-player gamers. The game is great, even for single-players, until the plot has ended, and the extras begin. Then, the game becomes unplayable unless you join a multiplayer group, because the post-game enemies can't be defeated alone, and require group mates. ThisBorderlands 2 is a good game that fails to reach its full potential due to design choices that limit the enjoyment of single-player gamers. The game is great, even for single-players, until the plot has ended, and the extras begin. Then, the game becomes unplayable unless you join a multiplayer group, because the post-game enemies can't be defeated alone, and require group mates. This means that many players will be left out in the cold, and the money they spent on all the DLC will be wasted. An ok game, but should have been complete for both single and multi-players. Otherwise, it should just advertise itself as multiplayer, and not try to fool single player gamers into buying it. Expand
  15. AWG
    Aug 13, 2013
    Never played the first one but I was intrigued by the critical acclaim Borderlands 2 received so I tried it up.
    My opinion is that it's a good game, but it's not a masterpiece. Graphics are awesome and some missions are really well designed but the overall story is not that intriguing and the neverending blabbering by Clap Trap is annoying as hell.
  16. Aug 1, 2013
    Its a slight improvement to the original game. There's nothing particularly mind blowing about either title. Its cheap fun, with graphics and artwork that remind me of comic books.
  17. Jul 25, 2013
    Don't play this game alone! Bring at least one friend, otherwise it becomes boring real fast. This was made for Co-op play.
    Otherwise this game is much better in every aspect compared to the first:
    Otherwise this game is much better in every aspect compared to the first:
    Multiplayer is now handled trough Steam and not gamespy. Locations are bigger, look nicer. If you have nVidia, you can turn on some cool PhysX particle effects. There are much more kinds of guns, everyone can find their favorite.
    Finally, the game has a much more detailed and more interesting storyline than the first. Yes, there are some stupid 9gag level jokes, but they can be ignored. Other than these stupid references, the writing is relatively smart, and entertaining.
    And last but not least there is the fantastic soundtrack, which is much less irritating than in the first game. I didn't want to turn it off after several hours, and that's a plus.
  18. Nov 17, 2012
    Borderlands 2 is better then Borderlands. But it feels disappointing. There are funny characters and the people you play as have some meaning. The graphics with the cartoon is amazing and cool. The issues with this game is that is DAMN BORING. Many quests are rinse and repeat and the guns do low damage to a lot of enemies i put 10 hours and i couldn't crack a smile with this game. LaterBorderlands 2 is better then Borderlands. But it feels disappointing. There are funny characters and the people you play as have some meaning. The graphics with the cartoon is amazing and cool. The issues with this game is that is DAMN BORING. Many quests are rinse and repeat and the guns do low damage to a lot of enemies i put 10 hours and i couldn't crack a smile with this game. Later when you get closer to handsome jack the story get's better but i think i could have been more. Many of the guns are also the same. Being a PC and Xbox player, the PC has connection issues. Also when you play with your friends, whoever hosts say if your level 5 and your friend is level 12 all the guns will require level 12. The port is good. and easy to learn. I hoped Borderlands 2 would be godlike but it fell short. I Expand
  19. Nov 7, 2012
    Ok, I admit i reviewed the game without having tried it a little. So I gave it a 9. I was wrong. The game itself is not bad, but - the gore has been toned down, no dismemberments or very rare
    - the maps are smaller that in Borderlands 1
    - the humor is very often silly, childish, not fun - many maps are extremely linear if compared to the ones of the first episode - in my opinion the
    - the maps are smaller that in Borderlands 1
    - the humor is very often silly, childish, not fun
    - many maps are extremely linear if compared to the ones of the first episode
    - in my opinion the voice acting of many enemies is obscene, with midgets crying like little babies when they die, goliaths shouting as demented "looney tunes" cartoon characters, et cetera.
    - difficulty is quite variable, from incredibly easy to very tough depending on same level quests, - inventory is too much reduced,
    - quality loot is extremely rare, and unlike in Borderlands 1 enemies rarely drop the guns they are using during the battles. the last 2 feature are not a huge problem, but if we consider the overall tone of the game, the result is very much a delusion.
    I'm very sorry to write this, but it is what I really think after playing Borderlands 2. There are anyway some good features, as
    - the variety of the classes - the variety of situation the player has to face during the campaign quests and the side quests. - The environment is quite beautiful and the cars available are really fun to use. - Claptrap is as always a funny egocentric robot, the only part of the game that made me smile a little bit. This is it. More objectively, the game is not worth its price, even if the DLCs have been quickly dispatched from gearbox right after a few weeks.
  20. Sep 22, 2012
    at the time of writing this i am vry annoyed at the game. so far every boss fight i have done has bugged out, and i therefore have to do it again, the texture loading is messed up, and they suddenly decided that a smart thing to do would be to make every gun in the game look as ugly as they could possibly make them.

borderlands 2 should have been an addon to the first. seeming as the

borderlands 2 should have been an addon to the first. seeming as the first games DLC was spectacular, and they decided to change hardly anything for the second game.

then again, could that be a good thing, countless games second installments rarely live up to its predecessors, yet this feels so naturally borderlands that its like playing the same game. i would therefore say that it porbarbl is an improvement.

its not helped by deciding to start you in the ugly barrand snowwy peaks which are just awful to look at.

as for the love letter from claptrap, yes it has nice options, but i was still expecting more, i dont just want an option of "low medium and high" i want to choose the precice distance. anything that is in that .ini file, i want as an option!

the PhysX is rarther nice though, just adding that little sparkle, but none of the Physx effect fit in with the rest of the game. the style is all wrong, so it just looks unatural.

and of course my biggest gripe. since the underdome addon i think it was brutaly clear that this game is heavily focused on multiplayer co-op. by all means, we need more co-op gaes out there, but dont punish me for being a single player. its not quite EA's level of ONLINE IS NUMBER ONE, ONLINE MUST DOMINATE" but as a single player i would like to be able to have some automatic function that if i do get downed, i can pay to revive myself on the spot, not have to go through a new you station and therefore reset all the enemies in that level, to simply die the same way as before. it feels as though 2K just didnt listen to a single person, and simply went their own way creating what is even worse than what activision do with their call of duty franchise.

and my final gripe is the classes. by al means, add new classes, but dont mess up our previous classes. i had to run with the boring soldier, as there was no hunter with the formidable and amazing bloodwing.

all i can say is i fear that i will once again bugg out after spending 40 grueling minutes trying to fight a boss that was designed to be killed with 4 players (cough crawmarex the invincible cough), and simply get responses of "well maybey you should just play some c-op with friends"
  21. Oct 11, 2012
    They say there are bazillions of guns. I have finished the game and can confirm there are lots of guns but have only got about 3 that are any good and one of those was offered to me from a friend. It is a shame that playing on single player increases the chance of finding rubbish items, there is no need for this because the odds are against you anyway. A tip to the developers; please don'tThey say there are bazillions of guns. I have finished the game and can confirm there are lots of guns but have only got about 3 that are any good and one of those was offered to me from a friend. It is a shame that playing on single player increases the chance of finding rubbish items, there is no need for this because the odds are against you anyway. A tip to the developers; please don't make the single player experience so unattractive.

I have scored this game in to halves: 5 points for the multi player and no points for the pointless single player mode.
  22. Sep 6, 2013
    Pretty standard FPS fare that demands to be played co-op, the solo experience tends to be a little monotonous; go here, kill this, repeat. Has some neat customization and funny dialogue but often feels as though it's fishing for memes.
  23. Sep 24, 2012
    Still working my way through this one, but a really obvious shortcoming is the coop mode which offers no gameplay changes at all to singleplayer. There are some combos that could be used to greater effect in a team, but so far it seems like everyone does his own thing. The lack of team-direction and team specific content means you rush through the singleplayer campaign at the average speedStill working my way through this one, but a really obvious shortcoming is the coop mode which offers no gameplay changes at all to singleplayer. There are some combos that could be used to greater effect in a team, but so far it seems like everyone does his own thing. The lack of team-direction and team specific content means you rush through the singleplayer campaign at the average speed of your team, not your own pace, leaving you with a far weaker experience. The increase in AI unit health that balances out the number of players can feel rather silly and forces you to forget the better damage feedback you got from solo play. Also, it can feel very unsocial to pick up loot in the face of your teammates. Hard to give more than 5 points with such an average impression after 6h of solo play and another couple in coop, especially when comparing it to other shooters or games with a similar theme. Expand
  24. Oct 7, 2012
    This is a great game that is brought down by some bad design decisions. First off the 3d inventory and skill menus are horrid. The 2d menus from BL1 worked just fine. BL1 was criticized, perhaps justly, for being too easy. To counter this Gearbox, evidently, decided to make BL2 harder. The problem is that it is a bit too hard in spots for many gamers in play through one. InThis is a great game that is brought down by some bad design decisions. First off the 3d inventory and skill menus are horrid. The 2d menus from BL1 worked just fine. BL1 was criticized, perhaps justly, for being too easy. To counter this Gearbox, evidently, decided to make BL2 harder. The problem is that it is a bit too hard in spots for many gamers in play through one. In play-through 2, labeled True Vault Hunter Mode, it gets far, far harder. I have heard many complaints on this mode. Since you don't get to fill out all the skill trees for your character in play-through one, closing this mode off to some of your player base is disturbing. The game also requires a lot of farming because drop rates of good equipment are low enough to require it to progress. No, you won't be playing the game organically, you have to meta game. Don't get me wrong, this is a great game at its heart. It just isn't consistently fun and there are plenty of games out there nowadays that are. Expand
  25. Jul 18, 2013
    A bit of mmo, bit of fps, and a bit of everything cool... Like Dishonored tried to do so... It would cut for the youngsters who just started to play kind of games but it would definitely not enough balanced for the oldsters like me who started to play games like early 90's... So... It is fun, but just mediocre, if you are not "really" new to this genre you may even really like this...
  26. Nov 11, 2014
    Amazing shooter with outstanding graphics and nice gameplay

PROS
    -outstanding graphics
    -bizarre guns
    -Fun gameplay
    -Easily caught onto
    -Nice Story

CONS
    -Tends to be boring at times
    -Frustrating if your not the right level for a mission
  27. Aug 28, 2013
    I loved the original Borderlands for so many good reasons: it was a innovative for a fps, with actually good mechanics of an RPG without losing the fps touch at all. Add also a lot of exploration, a lot of black humour, gore, blood and whatever gets in your mind, no wonder Borderlands was a great game (not a master piece: it had some flaws and it was repetitive at a certain point). WhenI loved the original Borderlands for so many good reasons: it was a innovative for a fps, with actually good mechanics of an RPG without losing the fps touch at all. Add also a lot of exploration, a lot of black humour, gore, blood and whatever gets in your mind, no wonder Borderlands was a great game (not a master piece: it had some flaws and it was repetitive at a certain point). When this game was announced I was very curious and I couldn't wait to get it. In the end, I had to wait for a discount instead...but there are good things in the game anyway: the mechanics are almost the same, if not THE same as the previous, but with some good tweaks in controls, weapons (some have unique ways to shoot just like the previous game), classes and so forth. The new things are not a lot really: we got some more customzation, we have a bank and the possibility to store items for your alts, we got some better controls now and much more fluid (than the previous). Also the inventory is much better designed (ALWAYS than the previous game) and some better shooting (it's much more handy and less stiff). But there's not really much else to add really, because it's almost the same game.

Except it's plagued with DLC.

BUT WAIT, before anything else I want to say that I don't dislike the dlcs: I had all of them in the original Borderlands and it was fine. But here it's different, because the game was plagued from DLC literally from day 1 with an embaressing release of dlc in a very short time (first came out 21 september, the season pass, then 9 october, then 16 october, then 20 november and so on, until now). But again, as I said, Im not saying I'm against them...but I feel ripped off to the bones like this, because while they aren't relevant for the game, they tried to take away as much as they could from day one, and give it us back as DLC (and each dlc is 10 bucks by the way, so it's not cheap either). Sure, also the original game had dlc but they came out with good distance between them and I could play the game before trying the extra content. In here, it was so fast, I could barely keep up even when there was a discount and I at least wanted the 2 extra classes, which was 20 for both and 25 for the game when discounted. In other words, I felt ripped off from their greed and from a "humble yet innovative" game as Borderlands now we get a "hungry for money" game that whenever they can, they'll serve us another dlc for another 10 bucks. The dlc, in other words, may discourage you for the big amount of them, and I feel sad to see this game becoming a greedy franchise. Still a very good game and fresh to its core, but just too greedy to feel satisfied.
  28. May 20, 2013
    Boring, mindless shooter. Has the same qualities as BL1 but brings nothing new. I bought it on Steam sale for $13 and think it a waste of money. Got 4 hours out of before getting totally bored.
  29. Dec 4, 2012
    After playing around 30 hours in the game, It's beggining to get boring. While the graphics, stability and performance is better than the first, the game feels too much like a cross of Rage and Borderlands. Too much "go here, do that, come back, do this" Multiplayer is where the fun is at, but the game does little to reinforce the importance of teamplay. Selfish players go on their ownAfter playing around 30 hours in the game, It's beggining to get boring. While the graphics, stability and performance is better than the first, the game feels too much like a cross of Rage and Borderlands. Too much "go here, do that, come back, do this" Multiplayer is where the fun is at, but the game does little to reinforce the importance of teamplay. Selfish players go on their own with no consequence. The game does little to nothing in awarding team oriented actions, and punish the lone rangers (monster spawns for lagging players would be very effective). The guns and the AI personalities are the most interesting points of the game. Network connections are buggy, and host based. If the host bails from a story/mission, the game ends. And finally, the graphics. Borderlands2 could have done a much better job at graphics, but they took the easy way out. The cartoon/art graphics is unique, but woefully inadequate in comparison to today's video capabilities that developers can exploit.

Shooting monsters is the fun part, when you can actually get to them. Outside of that, mass boredom.
  30. Dec 11, 2012
    I'm suprised the game got so many good reviews from websites. I played Borderlands 1 for over 50 hours, and compared to Borderlands 2 in which i spent probably 20-30 hours already, it's exactly the same game with some improvements. Yes it is better than the first one but if you played the first one you're gonna get bored quickly, it really feels like gearing and leveling up all over againI'm suprised the game got so many good reviews from websites. I played Borderlands 1 for over 50 hours, and compared to Borderlands 2 in which i spent probably 20-30 hours already, it's exactly the same game with some improvements. Yes it is better than the first one but if you played the first one you're gonna get bored quickly, it really feels like gearing and leveling up all over again with nothing new to expect. You're gonna face the same enemies over and over again, along with a story you're already gonna know what's going to happen before finishing it. The characters have some personality but most of them are annoying because they're trying too hard to be funny, like the little girl acting all ghetto, claptrap is probably the only good one. I expected a lot more from this game but it didn't live up to the hype it got. If there's gonna be a third part they sure need to come up with new stuff. I would rather have more challenging enemies than a horde of idiots you're gonna kill anyway, the enemies sure get annoying, the robots are probably the worst. I'll give it a 6, after all it's still a solid game and improvement from the first Borderlands, but it's nothing new. Expand
  31. Oct 15, 2013
    Decent gameplay, but a single active skill is a bit of a waste of a skill-tree system, which means that the characters aren't all that different from each other (can limit replay value). Also, the game is somewhat obsessed with squeezing you for money. The season pass includes neither the game itself, nor even all of the DLC.
  32. Sep 29, 2012
    Feels like a fan made Mod of Borderlands 1.
    Do I like it? that would be yes only because I liked the first one. If I knew that nothing had really improved much would I have bought the game again? Then that would be a no :)
    Feels like a fan made Mod of Borderlands 1.
    If you like the first game keep playing it your missing out on nothing IMO. The first game with mildly better graphics (still poor for todays games though) a few slightly different class changes, bigger maps and bigger yet still annoying scripts. 6/10 and only because I still play the first game now and again.
  33. Oct 22, 2012
    I would sum this game up as "Meh" The shooting is fun, I like the loot system (Even if a couple of the weapon types are 100% useless) and for the most part I enjoyed the missions.

The boss battles can have crazy difficulty spikes making for some major frustration, this can be made much worse if your loot drops have not given you a weapon type you need to win a fight. In order for

In order for this game to get a better score from me it needs to have boss fights that rely less on needing special weapon type X, and or better balancing when in solo mode.
  34. Sep 21, 2012
    PROS:
    -Core gameplay is the same, if you enjoyed BL1 in that regard then you'll be happy to know that it's mostly unchanged.
    -More varied gun models and reload/firing animations -More varied landscapes -More enemy types -Better UI/Video options CONS: -Very poor writing -Similarly poor dialogue with no option to skip through it -Constant intrusions from Gearbox's attempt at humor
    PROS:
    -More varied gun models and reload/firing animations
    -More varied landscapes
    -More enemy types
    -Better UI/Video options

CONS:
    -Very poor writing
    -Similarly poor dialogue with no option to skip through it
    -Constant intrusions from Gearbox's attempt at humor in the already lousy dialogue. (Keyword: "attempt")
    -Any sense of mystery you may have felt toward the original game's cast of playable characters has been replaced with their current shallow and uninteresting personalities.
    -No real improvement in the quest department
    -Selling already-developed DLC before the game is even released

Let's be honest here, I don't think very many people play Borderlands for the story. Core gameplay is what really matters, and as long as you have fun with that then lousy dialogue and a bland story shouldn't hinder your enjoyment, right? Wrong. It's obvious that they spent a lot more time (wasted time, in my opinion) on the story and dialogue, both of which fall flat. Speaking of the dialogue; there's a lot more of it. Not only that, but all of it is injected with unfunny jokes and sprinkled with internet memes and references. Somewhere along the line they must have decided to switch from making the characters' interesting and outlandish personalities carry the humor to a more up-front "ARE YOU LAUGHING YET?" style of humor, which is a real shame. It would have been less of a problem with an option to skip through dialogue.

Diagnosis? Writers have a malignant case of trying-too-hard, but the gameplay is fine as long as you enjoyed the original game. I was very critical of the story and dialogue because it would be remiss to ignore that in a review of the game as a whole, especially when it's the most glaring change between BL1 and 2.

TL;DR: Its still fun to play with friends, just try not to cringe too hard at the miserable dialogue.
  35. Sep 21, 2012
    Borderlands 2 has the same plusses and minuses as Left 4 Dead 2; it adds new characters, gameplay mechanics and such, but it feels too much like the original game to feel like anything more than a DLC bundle. If you liked Borderlands, you'll still like this, but if you're short on cash, don't start saving your pocket change for it.
  36. Sep 19, 2012
    Too little ammo, too unbalanced skilled, too monotonous level and when some one's level is higher on you, they will kick your ass to your dead. Although it is faster, tougher, bigger than borderlands1, I don't think it is a much better game than borderlands1. It makes players very tired

37. Sep 27, 2012
    This game is overrated. The art design, gameplay (with friends), unique weapons and voice actors are good, I can't deny that. But however, the story became predictable and following the storyline became difficult. This is a game were some minor cutscenes are required to develop the characters and tell the story. Also, the map or 'areas' are extremely bland. A large wasteland of ice orThis game is overrated. The art design, gameplay (with friends), unique weapons and voice actors are good, I can't deny that. But however, the story became predictable and following the storyline became difficult. This is a game were some minor cutscenes are required to develop the characters and tell the story. Also, the map or 'areas' are extremely bland. A large wasteland of ice or sand. Move through until you find a camp were enemies will spawn. Repeat. Also when you are playing with your friends, one person cannot play without the others at any time unless they create a different character. If you level higher than your friends and play the game with them, they will be up against enemies that are much harder then their usual enemies leaving the 1 higher level person to do all the fighting while gaining almost no XP or good loot for themself. It sounds OK in theory but in-game it does not work. Looting is fun but I found I never seemed to wield an adequate weapon for the level I had attained even after finding large chests during high level quests. The skill tree is also incredibly tedious to go through. Gaining 1 skill point per level and needing approx 5 points in a skill to unlock further down the tree takes a long time while only gaining small bonus's. The enemies are quite well designed but they become repetitive when you are reaching the end of the game (+ side quests). There will be the basic bandits + the "badass ones" and the same goes for most of the monsters / enemies. Although the Hyperion bots did have a lot of diversity in weaponry they were NOT unique most of the time. This game was fun for the first half but by the end I just wanted to finish the game and get it over with. You feel no need to want to play this game again after finishing it so I don't believe it's worth the $70 price stamp here in Australia. I won't be buying the DLC. If you like co-op games like Left 4 Dead were you run around shooting the crap out of things with your mates and progressing through the bland story (not saying that's a bad thing) then pick this game up. if you prefer more developed characters and story line with interesting and unique levels then I would think twice and investigate further before buying this game. -emplex Expand
  38. Nov 5, 2012
    I started off liking this game a lot. Borderlands 2 has the same fundamental issue as BL 1 for me. Namely, it is a console port. Generally, you can forget that on BL2 because it is extremely well put together but it has the cardinal sin of all console games which for me rules consoles out entirely. The extremely narrow field of view makes me extremely ill. I have seen masses of threadsI started off liking this game a lot. Borderlands 2 has the same fundamental issue as BL 1 for me. Namely, it is a console port. Generally, you can forget that on BL2 because it is extremely well put together but it has the cardinal sin of all console games which for me rules consoles out entirely. The extremely narrow field of view makes me extremely ill. I have seen masses of threads on this as statistically a significant number of people. The result is that until the hack or crack comes out I cannot play for long before feeling very ill. I have had BL 2 since launch and have played less than 2 hours because of this. Catastrophic failure to address one of the same issues people complained like hell about last time. Nothing says console port issues like playing while looking through a mailbox. Waiting for a mod to fix it. Expand
  39. Sep 24, 2012
    I'd love to slap a great big 10 on this title and say its a great game, but in trying to do so, I'd be giving up a great deal of my integrity.

Borderlands 2 picks up a few years later from where the original dropped us off, and I suspect that's a big part of the problem. Nothing's really changed. After it's original success the games industry has learned from Borderlands, and a lot of games have borrowed from it, innovated around it and developed it all since then. Borderlands 2 feels more like an expansion to the original than a new game. It's been polished a bit, but overall in their efforts to maintain the look and feel in the sequel, you get the overwhelming feeling that 2K were too afraid to innovate or try anything especially new.

Whilst I've not accounted for it in my score, it's also worth noting that at launch the game comes complete with a bug that renders the game impossible to play for a large number of users with multi-core AMD processors. 2K/Gearbox themselves won't even acknowledge the fault and the only advice that anyone seems to be able to get about the issue is to flash your motherboard bios with the latest firmware. Whilst this process isn't so inherently dangerous as it used to be, it's still a pretty extreme fix to make up for poor coding and Q&A. The fact that for many users this fix either doesn't work or is impossible (because a user has the latest bios files) is especially painful for some, and has forced others, myself included, to download 3rd party apps like Orochi-CEG to correct the problem (which at the time of writing can only be found by googling for dubious download links from random forums)

Needless to say, caveat emptor, the game may not work and may leave you feeling a little underwhelmed if it does. It might be worth your while waiting until the devs release a few patches (assuming they ever acknowledge the issues people are trying to report to them) or possibly even a GOTY edition before sinking money into this product. I'd also suggest waiting for a sale, so that you can pick this up for the kind of price you'd pay for a good expansion pack, because in all honesty, that's all you're getting.
  40. Jan 1, 2013
    In a nutshell, Borderlands 2 is a slightly improved version of Borderlands , but just that. The main villain, Handsome Jack, was excellently voiced and much of the game had good writing, but the game is simply boring. At certain points of the game, the story feels like it can actually progress somewhere, but half the time you would simply be going through a repetitive and obnoxiousIn a nutshell, Borderlands 2 is a slightly improved version of Borderlands , but just that. The main villain, Handsome Jack, was excellently voiced and much of the game had good writing, but the game is simply boring. At certain points of the game, the story feels like it can actually progress somewhere, but half the time you would simply be going through a repetitive and obnoxious shooting gallery full of dumb NPCs, only to get to a generic boss battle where the only strategy to defeat the boss is to continuously shoot its weak spot for massive damage. The story is simply too thin for me to care about half the events that happen. The concepts in this game have been used over and over again. Not to mention the guns are EXTREMELY lacking in a game which boasts so much about the variety of guns available. Only one out of every thousand generic gun you pick up will be anything interesting, but sadly it will be useless in only an hour, as all the enemies will become much stronger, rendering that gun completely useless. Game stability on PC is also questionable, as it can easily decide to crash or freeze on you, and then screw you over when the checkpoint save system does not save your progression correctly. Movement is sloppy and either Pandora's gravity is ridiculously low, or all the characters hover in the air when they jump. Playing cooperatively is a kick in the balls when you fight all the way through an area only to have your teammates take all the loot. Expand
  41. Sep 26, 2012
    it's ok, at around level 20 so far. played mainly with 3 other people i know.
    the start was way slow, but got a bit better.
    it just seems really similar to the original with more humor.

solid, but somewhat regret buying it.
  42. Mar 11, 2015
    My re-review of Borderlands 2 after I decided that I've got to try harder at getting something back for the money it cost me. The thing I despise the most about this game is the weapon generator, this is what I hated about the first one but with help, aka a beautiful little program called Gibbed you can by-pass the horrible segment of the game and actually enjoy it.

I hate the skills in

I hate the skills in the game, they're worthless. The best thing about the whole itemisation and rpg side to the game would be the awesome points which really aren't that awesome, they're incredibly conservative. You play the game for 100hrs and you achieve maybe 10% bonus to some stats. : Lel, but its still better than a kick in the shins.

Anyhow, with friends playing and a bit of gun-ho attitude you can actually get some action out of this game, pity all the rewards suck. I so strongly recommend the use of a program called Gibbed, boost you character up with some neat-o crapola and blast away. Not bad, you can actually enjoy yourself, with some friends.

I could go on, but I think for a game that's given me at least 100hrs of fun I think its finally paid itself off and so it deserves a 6 instead of a 1. :D
  43. Sep 25, 2012
    Although the annoyingly long reload times are still there and skills are really boring, the game's still a good one. At the end of the day it's about the guns and killing alot of mobs, which is fine by me.
  44. Sep 25, 2012
    I cannot deny I enjoyed this game, as similar as it is to the first game, at the risk of sounding like a suckup, it is easily the best game released so far this year - but we are in serious trouble if the game of the year was launched with season pass dlc, preorder dlc, and is a sequel anyway. It runs smoothly and looks just as good as you'd expect it to, unlike so many other games.I cannot deny I enjoyed this game, as similar as it is to the first game, at the risk of sounding like a suckup, it is easily the best game released so far this year - but we are in serious trouble if the game of the year was launched with season pass dlc, preorder dlc, and is a sequel anyway. It runs smoothly and looks just as good as you'd expect it to, unlike so many other games.

The actual gameplay hasn't changed at all, it's the same "collect this" or "kill him" preceded by running or driving halfway across the entire planet and into some base where people are waiting to kill you. Maybe you'll find a shiny new gun on the way.

Online play has been improved massively by Gearbox choosing to use Steam matchmaking instead of the gamespy system used in Borderlands 1. (Main reason my review is 7 rather than a 6)

The lower scored reviews are not entirely wrong, however the game is best played with friends or in co-op - but if you want more Borderlands (I have 30 hours in total from 1 playthrough with some sidequests done) then you will like the sequel.
  45. Feb 19, 2013
    Nothing to write home about so far.The whole package is well delivered but doesn't seem to develop.The inventory system is a mess and I feel like I have no goal but to run around in repetition doing nothing other than reloading bad weapons and getting killed.
  46. Sep 29, 2012
    Well done game. Has funny moments. Love the characters for the most part. But I feel Borderlands 2 is not much of an improvement over the first. Story was engaging enough but I believe Borderlands biggest problem is the combat. The general shooting is good enough but melee combat is a joke. I figured they would have done something with it but it's still just lame button mashing. I've onlyWell done game. Has funny moments. Love the characters for the most part. But I feel Borderlands 2 is not much of an improvement over the first. Story was engaging enough but I believe Borderlands biggest problem is the combat. The general shooting is good enough but melee combat is a joke. I figured they would have done something with it but it's still just lame button mashing. I've only played as Axton and Zero. I think Zero's skill is fairly useless you might agree or disagree but I shouldn't have to be level 50 to benefit from it. It's a decent game but if you expect it to be better or different from the first you'll be sorely disappointed if you buy it. Stunning graphics but glitchy quests and lack of patches so far can be bothersome. If you enjoyed Borderlands 1 you will enjoy this game. Plenty of loot to find if that tickles your fancy. You're able to replay it after you beat it the first time on a harder setting which is fine to cap off to 50 but I doubt it will change your gaming experience at all. Easter eggs were a plus as well. Fair game overall, too much repetition for my taste but the co-op is the only way to play as far as i'm concerned. Much easier than the first to join co-op games that was probably the best improvement over the first. Expand
  47. Oct 15, 2012
    An incredibly fun and entertaining game to play.....the first time through. Borderlands 2's campaign is incredibly witty and can get almost anybody laughing, the characters are abundantly quirky and just the sort this sort of game needs, but the game to me lacked replayability due to a number of factors including what seemed like a lack of super-cool rare eridium weapons that the originalAn incredibly fun and entertaining game to play.....the first time through. Borderlands 2's campaign is incredibly witty and can get almost anybody laughing, the characters are abundantly quirky and just the sort this sort of game needs, but the game to me lacked replayability due to a number of factors including what seemed like a lack of super-cool rare eridium weapons that the original had, requiring no ammunition, high firepower and amazing style, though i know eridium weapons were included they still felt like the other bazillion weapons in the game. Another factor that seemed to have been attempted to be overdone and in that sense, overlooked, was customisation; each character had character trees suited to that characters style but it did not feel like they lived up to the borderlands style of sheer badassery but rather felt mellow in comparison to the original, i personally struggled to find a reason why i would spend time building my character 'Zero' from a single character tree when the finale' abilities didn't seem worth the wait. I also desperately missed the weapon proficiencies from the original borderlands because they meant that when i got bored of using the same weapons that were suited to my character i could switch it up and still feel like i was gaining something; this is a tragic miss due to the mechromancer whose ability work on status effects rather than weapon damage so she really gains little benefit from a highpowered gun. Overall i give borderlands 2 a 7 because even with the lacking of some of borderlands 1's fun features it still kept me entertained throughout the campaign and the new addition of badass ranks was ingenious, but i dont feel it calls to me for a replay. Expand
  48. Nov 21, 2012
    Decent game, worth it if it becomes a little cheaper. I enjoy the multiplayer but the game itself is just a little quirky. The missions are cool but you can easily go too far in this game and just die repeatedly.
  49. Nov 26, 2012
    Good! The humour is even better then last time. The difficulty if you're playing on single player is ridiculous though. Deaths can often result from simply running out of ammo during boss battles (even though for most of the game there is more ammo then you can carry). Can't help but think that this is another game company saying "you don't want to play single player - get online". AlsoGood! The humour is even better then last time. The difficulty if you're playing on single player is ridiculous though. Deaths can often result from simply running out of ammo during boss battles (even though for most of the game there is more ammo then you can carry). Can't help but think that this is another game company saying "you don't want to play single player - get online". Also suspect is the fact that the first DLC is a new character that is probably the best for single player. Gearbox, please set aside the DLC until you've balanced the game correctly! Expand
  50. Apr 26, 2013
    Just fair, not better than that. Relative to borderlands 1 so much upgrades makes this game better.
    I play something about 8 hours and stop. i think is so much repetitive.
  51. Jul 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. All in all it is a very good game, but if you are a fan of the first Borderlands and played it through and through you will find some unsettling differences,. in BL2 they put a lot of focus on the story and to tell you the truth it was kind of corny and the weapon system is inferior to bl1 because it lacks the weapon proficiency upgrading and the random attributes system always leaves one or more thing that lacks to make those perfect weapons you could find in bl1. the gameplay is a little more changeling in that I noticed you die a lot more in bl2 than bl1. But I will say the did a good job making this game because it is addictive and you do find yourself compelled to keep playing and keep improving your characters. I love the borderlands franchise and I hope there is more to come. Expand
  52. Dec 26, 2013
    Borderlands 2 is a really good game that could have been great.
    There are a few things that drags it down in my opinion.
    1. The shooter mechanics are intentionally unprecise. Large bullet spread combined with huge sway, absence of proper sights on many (most un-scoped) weapons combined with many fast and agile enemies can make the game frustrating. 2. The weapons are just too random in
    Borderlands 2 is a really good game that could have been great.
    There are a few things that drags it down in my opinion.
    2. The weapons are just too random in their abilities/function. Sure, there are thousands, but 95% of them sucks big time. The chance of you finding just what you want is microscopic, and then finding an upgrade... good luck. I would have preferred a modular system, like Dead Space 3.
    3. You sometimes have to fight through certain areas multiple times.
    4. Many enemies are massive bullet sponges.
    5. WASD keys aren't usable as navigation in the menus (might seem nitpicky, but come on, really? It just screams bad port).

All in all, B2 is a good game that could have been a 10 with some changes. The story is pretty good and well told, and Handsome Jack (the badguy) is hilarious.
    The Mechromancer is fun to play, even if I've struggled with finding a build I'm completely satisfied with.
  53. Jan 2, 2014
    The game play itself is good enough, but I have two complaints that I believe prevent the game from scoring a ten from me.

The first being, the cartoon-like graphics spoil it for me. Personally, I find it difficult to find certain things and after half an hour I get eye strain. If the graphics were like that of a classic 2012 shooter, then I could raise the score to eight. Now I know

Now I know this second point will sound stupid, but this is very significant to me. Your robot companion throughout the game, claptrap, is so immensely annoying that if this were a real life situation, I would have committed suicide after the numerous futile attempts to destroy that annoying little c*nt.

Apart from those two factors, the NPCs and weapons are responsive and I enjoy playing with them.
  54. Jan 16, 2015
    Great game. Big variety of weapons, different classes. But for some reason despite all that greativity ,it gets repetitive fast. And you start noticing its not that perfect.
  55. Dec 30, 2013
    I simply do not understand the rave reviews for this game. Sure, it’s open world and can play coop, but the shooting itself isn’t great. The enemy variety is not great and the story is not very absorbing either. Pretty much, the first person shooting rpg aspect is far from what Far Cry 3 developed while the fun shooting mechanics and environment is far from what Bulletstorm developed. YouI simply do not understand the rave reviews for this game. Sure, it’s open world and can play coop, but the shooting itself isn’t great. The enemy variety is not great and the story is not very absorbing either. Pretty much, the first person shooting rpg aspect is far from what Far Cry 3 developed while the fun shooting mechanics and environment is far from what Bulletstorm developed. You end up with a poor mixture of both with repeated mission types, the need to grind (which I don’t find fun), uninteresting enemies and very bland shooting, especially compared to the type of first person shooting found in a game like Bulletstorm. The one thing this game has over others is co-op, but the kind of chaos it creates makes any of the writing and story obsolete.
    If you want an FPS with heavy RPG, try Fallout 3
    If you want an FPS with crude humour, vibrant colours and fun diverse shooting and weapons, try Bulletstorm
    If you want an FPS with CO-OP, try Left 4 Dead
    If you want a boring combination of all this, then you have Borderlands 2
  56. Nov 8, 2015
    Borderlands 2 is primarily a multiplayer experience; while the game can be played single player, and I have done so, it simply is not as enjoyable as when you are playing with another person.

Why? I think the ultimate answer to this is that there is a lot of garbage in the game, and it is easy to get side-tracked and spend a lot of time exploring the (ultimately not that interesting) environment rather than actually playing the game and killing enemies. Ultimately the best part of the game is the various humorous dialogue dispersed throughout the game as you make your way through, and as a result, the faster you go through the game and the less time you spend doing stupid stuff, the more time you actually spend enjoying yourself and the less time you waste on stuff which isn't ultimately that fulfilling.

There is a lot to do in the game, but ultimately the real fun comes out of the humor and out of getting various wacky guns and using them on enemies. The actual game mechanics are fairly mediocre, and only some of the enemies are all that interesting to fight - mostly, the mechanics of the game are just not interesting enough to really pull your interest over other FPS-type games, especially games like the Crysis series.
  57. Jan 17, 2013
    Something makes me want to protest this game. Maybe the disappointing weapons (except for a handful), the uninteresting story or that rubbish talk by CLAPTRAP in the beginning. Can't criticize the effort that was put in. Just a forgettable experience on my own account.
  58. Mar 27, 2013
    This game would be great if it weren't for just a few annoying things that will drive you nuts. The save system is crap. If you don't specifically pay attention to what you use and you "save & quit" you may find yourself completely on the other side of the map from where you quit because it uses an insanely retarded save system where you load at the last fast travel or area switchThis game would be great if it weren't for just a few annoying things that will drive you nuts. The save system is crap. If you don't specifically pay attention to what you use and you "save & quit" you may find yourself completely on the other side of the map from where you quit because it uses an insanely retarded save system where you load at the last fast travel or area switch point. Some creatures can one shot you no matter how tough you are and next to impossible to kill. And even worse every time you die it cost you close to 1000 bucks to resurrect. You could have 20k and one one shot creature will have you down to 4k before you bat an eye because of dying so much. Some missions are just plain ignorant and the worst design ideas ever. "I can't call these creatures primal beasts. I'll call them bonefarts instead. Kill a a few and see how the name bonefarts feels on them" Gearbox has some god damn morons working for them. This game really has a lot to offer and can be great fun at times until you gget your ass screwed over but one or more of the stupid annoyances of this game. Losing money when you die in a game that's meant to be challenging, a sucky save system, just palin dumb missions even for Pandora. This game will piss you off as much as it delights you with its gameplay. Expand
  59. Aug 1, 2017
    I may be in the minority here but I didn't enjoy this game very much. The missions were confusing, the characters tried too hard to be funny, and the gameplay got repetitive. Granted I played mostly single player but the few times I played multiplayer it was the same experience.
  60. Jan 17, 2013
    In co-op, both Borderlands games are a 9-10. Unfortunately, I only played the sequel solo, so I am evaluating it as such. It is a step up in writing, in presentation and in the stage design and progression. The quest menu and system still is a drag and not optimized for PC. What you're getting with Borderlands 1 & 2 are dungeon hack first person games. Endless waves of namelessIn co-op, both Borderlands games are a 9-10. Unfortunately, I only played the sequel solo, so I am evaluating it as such. It is a step up in writing, in presentation and in the stage design and progression. The quest menu and system still is a drag and not optimized for PC. What you're getting with Borderlands 1 & 2 are dungeon hack first person games. Endless waves of nameless goons/creatures/constructs and no real sense of a rhyme or reason (Again, not a problem in a multi-player.) This game had me for 10 solid hours, and then started to wane. Expand
  61. Oct 15, 2014
    This game is fun with a friend. If you are looking for a gripping single-player game, though, it will leave you looking. I didn't find the talent system had much of an impact on my character development and while some guns were fairly entertaining, most of the time either the game was too easy or it was a rez fest (with difficulty turned up)
  62. Nov 8, 2012
    I was so excited for this release. It was a decent game, but frankly I thought the elimination of the hunter for the assassin was kinda weak. Way more boring being the assassin. Also, I felt the complete departure from the previous games soundtrack was a bad move. I miss the darker ambient droning stuff between the chaos so so much. Kinda killed the atmosphere for me, made me feelI was so excited for this release. It was a decent game, but frankly I thought the elimination of the hunter for the assassin was kinda weak. Way more boring being the assassin. Also, I felt the complete departure from the previous games soundtrack was a bad move. I miss the darker ambient droning stuff between the chaos so so much. Kinda killed the atmosphere for me, made me feel more like I was in a Hollywood action flick than a survivor wandering a post apocalyptic wasteland. I couldn't stand the characters and the voice acting along with them. The sequences when I had to talk to people in a town felt soo tedious. I just wanted them to cut the **** it's Borderlands, not Fallout. Just let me run, gun and loot. Character development has never been the highlight of Borderlands, and that remains the same in this one. I felt like the dialogue was written for children for the most part. A good attempt, but definitely not my cup of tea. Maybe I'll run through it next time I bake some edibles and give it a second chance, but I got to a point playing it where I was just sick of it 30 hours in, and couldn't play it anymore. 6/10. Expand
  63. Feb 19, 2013
    It was fun the first two weeks, then got really repetitive. It plays exactly the same as the first game. For an arpg-like game that repeats content to be fun, you have to have more meaningful character and equipment customization. Some randomization wouldn't hurt either. The guns really don't feel very unique, the separate talent trees do change your gameplay slightly, but in the end itIt was fun the first two weeks, then got really repetitive. It plays exactly the same as the first game. For an arpg-like game that repeats content to be fun, you have to have more meaningful character and equipment customization. Some randomization wouldn't hurt either. The guns really don't feel very unique, the separate talent trees do change your gameplay slightly, but in the end it doesn't feel any different, even when changing characters. Why the hell did I spend $60 on this game? Expand
  64. Jan 19, 2013
    A great game that you will definitely enjoy if you are just looking for GUNS, GUNS, GUNS and more GUNS. Loot is great and the RPG elements make this shooter a notable experience. But it gets boring really fast. The missions can be long and dragging and the characters are far from being interesting. This is a game that you will best enjoy with your brains turned off.
  65. Jul 25, 2014
    By no stretch of the imagination is this a bad game, but all the time I found my mind wondering and begin to think when will this be over. For me it felt like the exact same game we had a few years ago now. It does not really do anything different and makes the play through a chore.
  66. Apr 6, 2013
    Borderlands 2 is fun for a while, but gets old eventually. Unfortunately, I found the game to be getting old long before finishing it. The game revolves around looting randomly-generated weapons, then shooting people with them. It's insane fun for about 15 hours, but the entire time I felt like I -had- to gather -all- the weapons. It started to become more compulsive than fun, and it wasBorderlands 2 is fun for a while, but gets old eventually. Unfortunately, I found the game to be getting old long before finishing it. The game revolves around looting randomly-generated weapons, then shooting people with them. It's insane fun for about 15 hours, but the entire time I felt like I -had- to gather -all- the weapons. It started to become more compulsive than fun, and it was on the verge of being unenjoyable.

The single-player isn't balanced at all. With no help or ways to revive yourself (other than one way that's quite annoying), you become quickly overpowered. There also isn't a difficulty setting, so no cheats if you get stuck somewhere and can't get out.

The jokes you hear in Borderlands 2 are fairly amusing, but also get old. Well, some of it anyway. *Snort bonerfarts snort*

It's worth it on sale, if you have people to play with.
  67. Dec 4, 2012
    Clearly a console port, with some good and bad consequences. Good - lots of PC friendly features, being able to change various video settings, keybindings, etc
    Bad - Lots of texture and physics problems. Within the first two hours I had to quit to the menu due to getting stuck in a wall. Can see/shoot enemies through walls - and they can sometimes do the same to you. Some aspects might make sense on a console, but are cumbersome on a PC. For example the in-game menu system (skill points, inventory) is still clunky with a mouse. Best to just use arrow keys and Enter/Esc. You can tell the game was designed to be played on a 50" screen, and they just shrunk everything down when viewed on a 22" screen. Item tool tips are needlessly large and take up too much screen real estate.

Back to the good - weapon customization is better this time around. Real difference between weapon manufactures. Shields and class mods can have negative attributes, which is interesting. Completing achievements gives you "bad ass ranking" which can be used to give single digit percentage gains to various things like weapon damage, reload speed, grenade dmg, etc - that apply to all characters. Bought this on a Steam sale for like $22. Glad I didn't pay more than that. Debating buying any of the DLCs due to texture/physics issues above.
  68. Dec 4, 2013
    Not sure why this game gets so much buzz and hype it makes me realize just how much people must like mindless FPS shooters (but then, I already knew this long ago, from the popularity of games like Unreal Tournament)

The fact of the matter is that this game has some great production quality (graphics, sound, etc)... but it's lacking where the game really counts: FUN factor, and a sense of accomplishment.

The graphics are a nice twist, and go with the whimsical, dark-carnivalesque post apocalyptic theme. The vibrant colors and intricate props can get a little cluttered and overkill at times, making it hard to really focus on anything (or to see enemies)... but that's a minor annoyance, and it's still a nice feel.

The audio is excellent, with some very fine voice talent work and great delivery of lines and jokes. The humor and "feel" of the game is what pushes it up to a 5.

However, there are major flaws which make this game just... not as fun as it should be:

They call this an FPS/RPG. It's really not. I would call a game like Fallout 3 an RPG with a slight hint of FPS (not done very well); Borderlands is an FPS with a slight hint of RPG (not done very well).

And it's a no-brainer run-and-gun, at that. That's my biggest problem with it. There's not really any sense of tactics or strategy involved. It's simply "get the most powerful gun you can, have good aim, make sure your ammo is stocked, and blast away... run around a little bit to find other cover... get in a vehicle and then you are basically invincible... etc.

The feel of it is almost identical to Dead Island another hack-and-slash, run-and-gun smashfest, but at least in that you are dealing with zombies so it makes sense. The idea of an "open world" with characters to talk to, but not really any puzzles to solve, just quests the characters give you to "go to a destination" and then "kill X" or "retrieve Y." However, I found the level design and variety in Dead Island much better-done than Borderlands 2.

The level design, tactics, and resource management are what have made games like Half-Life so great. Borderlands 2 is seriously lacking in this department. You will essentially never run out of weapons or ammo everywhere you look, there are piles of goods lying around. This makes it fairly easy to avoid dying (especially when you throw in the last-ditch effort you can give after being downed), and even if you do die, there's not much of a problem, as you respawn somewhere you recently passed no real penalty or problem.

I haven't played in co-op mode, which I assume plays something like Dead Island (but worse)

In short, what does it tell you that I am spending my time writing this review right now instead of playing the game?? (At least I was smart enough to wait for it to go on sale, and got it for $10. At that price, I don't feel bad... it's given me some enjoyment, it's just getting tedious and repetitive after a few short hours, which was never the case with games like Half-Life 2 or Fallout 3...)
  69. Dec 26, 2012
    I played and loved the first Borderlands - the music was good, the characters, setting and story were outrageous, and the negatives - crap animations for NPCs that actually had mouths, poorly set mobs that materialized inside the landscape, GameSpy multiplayer and that annoying memory leak that made it unplayable after about 3 hours - could be forgiven considering the story and gameplay.I played and loved the first Borderlands - the music was good, the characters, setting and story were outrageous, and the negatives - crap animations for NPCs that actually had mouths, poorly set mobs that materialized inside the landscape, GameSpy multiplayer and that annoying memory leak that made it unplayable after about 3 hours - could be forgiven considering the story and gameplay.

With that said, I had my reservations about Borderlands 2, but I got it anyway - and I must say, I'm disappointed. There are some good ideas in there - badass tokens are a cool concept - and some of the plot development and writing are pretty good. But the devil is in the details, and that's where this sequel falls short.

The classes you choose are a rehash of the original 4 classes, with class techniques that are meh, at best. The worst thing for me is the voice acting overall - the class voices have no 'oomph' compared to the first game, and the Angel AI in particular was disappointing since she is no longer enigmatic in the slightest.

A good idea for a sequel with some improvements over the original, which nonetheless fails to live up to the potential of the premise.
  70. Jan 4, 2013
    I actually am really enjoying the game. The reason my score is lower than I would like to give it is because of one HUGE issue. I've really been wanting to play this game co-op with a friend. As a Mac user I am unable to co-op with my friend on her PC. So the best selling feature of this game doesn't apply to me. It really is the only reason I gave it a lower score. I love the quests andI actually am really enjoying the game. The reason my score is lower than I would like to give it is because of one HUGE issue. I've really been wanting to play this game co-op with a friend. As a Mac user I am unable to co-op with my friend on her PC. So the best selling feature of this game doesn't apply to me. It really is the only reason I gave it a lower score. I love the quests and other fun activities this game offers. I do find it REALLY annoying how often I died right off the bat. It is difficult to get the hang of, but at least a challenge. Expand
  71. Jan 12, 2013
    This game is really good and I want to rate it higher, but unfortunately it has some unnecessary weaknesses - but first the good: General gameplay and presentation are great. They put quite a bit of work into adapting the game for PCs, which I very much appreciate with all the bad console ports around these days. I shouldn't even need to point this out, but it's really something specialThis game is really good and I want to rate it higher, but unfortunately it has some unnecessary weaknesses - but first the good: General gameplay and presentation are great. They put quite a bit of work into adapting the game for PCs, which I very much appreciate with all the bad console ports around these days. I shouldn't even need to point this out, but it's really something special nowadays... I also applaud the developers for not using extra copy protection besides Steam, which is acceptable in my book. The graphics style and voice acting work really well. The game is advertised as having a bazillion weapons and while that's true, few of these bazillion weapons are actually fun to use. First of all, the weapon design is generally too bulky and also doesn't make sense, even for a computer game. All of the weapons have some annoying weakness. One manufacturer's weapons can only shoot fire, others explode when reloaded, others are very unaccurate when you start shooting... there are no guns that are plain and simply fun to use and that's obviously bad for a shooter. I also wish they'd taken a more realistic approach when designing the weapons, because they are over the top, even for a steam punk scenario. Also, the weapon sway is too much and it's hard to shoot precisely. The main villain is a little too simple-minded, which takes any element of surprise out of the story. Two more annoying things are the vehicle controls (you always drive where you look, no way to rotate the cam while driving) and the "toggle sights" option, actually intended to make things easier. It goes back to using the weapon sights after reloading, but at that point the situation has often changed, because enemies are running towards you, so that you'd rather fire from the hip. The worst thing though, is the multiplayer. To make it short: It's impossible to play online without running into cheaters, which makes for a terrible multiplayer experience. Some people cheat subtly by generating lots of golden keys or hacking the game data to always win at the slot machine, other games are totally hacked (infinite ammo, changed physics... the whole show). I unknowingly joined a cheater's game and now my money is at 99,999,999, I got a ton of golden keys and about 50 badass points. Totally takes any feeling of legit achievement away. P2P is a bad idea for multiplayer and they should offer a game mode where characters are stored online to prevent tampering with the data, especially because the saves are only 20-30kB. Expand
  72. Feb 13, 2013
    This game was hyped up far too much. What a let down. I found the game play tedious and boring. It takes a first person shooter and turns it into a grinding game of eternal leveling. There's just nothing fantastic about the game. I wanted to like it, I wanted to play it with my teenage son a lot but the game feels like a chore. Some of the characters were well designed, its just theThis game was hyped up far too much. What a let down. I found the game play tedious and boring. It takes a first person shooter and turns it into a grinding game of eternal leveling. There's just nothing fantastic about the game. I wanted to like it, I wanted to play it with my teenage son a lot but the game feels like a chore. Some of the characters were well designed, its just the actual game play that puts me to sleep. This seems to be typical for the over hyped big gaming company media now days. Expand
  73. Feb 16, 2013
    The absolute best thing about this game is the graphics I have to say that they are superb the wost thing about this game is the teadious in the extreme quest based mission system. Having to go back and forth betwenn some reatard and the action just killed this for me.
  74. Jun 30, 2015
    A decent FPS sci-fi adventure with the most awesome selection of guns I have ever seen in a video game. That being said, the missions feel repetitive, time wasting and unfinished.
  75. Mar 6, 2013
    A good game I'll give it that, but how it got some of the "best ever" rewards I'll never know. I personally think it's from bribing their players with their special shift codes for golden keys and whatnot. Anyhow, the game, again, is good, but it's not the best. The majority of the main characters, specifically the old vault hunters, lack character and isn't even saved by the betterA good game I'll give it that, but how it got some of the "best ever" rewards I'll never know. I personally think it's from bribing their players with their special shift codes for golden keys and whatnot. Anyhow, the game, again, is good, but it's not the best. The majority of the main characters, specifically the old vault hunters, lack character and isn't even saved by the better performances by Handsome Jack and CL4PTP. The reason why I've given this game a 7 is because it's chock-full of half-assed ideas. For example, there're too many types of currency, all of which are essentially worthless. Money SHOULD be the most mainstream and valued, but in the end you'll learn after awhile that its only real use is to buy ammo. Eridian is a rarer currency of which you can hold only 99 at any time and is used at the Black Market where you buy ammo/grenade pool upgrades as well as inventory space and vault space of which there is a limit meaning this currency becomes useless as well as its only other use is to enter raid boss areas to fight raid bosses. Seraph Crystals are a "hard-to-get" currency which can only be earned by killing raid bosses from the DLCs and can be used at seraph vendors, which look almost precisely like the black market and where you can buy allegedly ultra rare weapons that are weaker than the rarest weapon type in the normal game... uh... why didn't they just use a new black market system? Finally are torgue tokens, only usable in the 2nd DLC to buy weapons from specific torgue weapon machines wherein the item-of-the-day is always a legendary torgue weapon... these too become useless after you've collected one of each legendary torgue weapon or when you learn the legendary torgue weapons are the worst of the legendary weapons. What other half-baked ideas plague this game you ask? Well the skill trees for the characters are somewhat strange as there are some melee enhancing skill and the assassin character, Zer0, even has a skill tree dedicated to melee... you know... in a FPS game where there are NO melee weapons. Did I also mention that the programmers have also programmed this game so poorly that it's rather hard to patch it? Oh and that they meant this game to be kind of like an MMORPG... except you can only have 4 players at most at time? And that the game is rampant with exploits and easy ways to cheat, but while the programmers know, they only care enough to nerf a weapon and a shield pair that were allegedly overpowered? See the programmers have NO clue what they want this game to be and their priorities must be straightened out. There are tons of references and easter eggs in this game, awesome, but not when you have 4 types of currency that have no use or a whole skill tree that makes no sense and makes the player who uses said skill tree practically useless. While the ideas do have potential to be beyond great if fully realized, the programmers clearly are too busy being fanboys of other games, comics, and tv shows to work on their own original ideas. While the head developer claimed borderlands to be a limitless world where things didn't need to make sense, I find it funny that the only patch they really came out was to NERF something. Their DLCs are half-baked as well and the latter ones become less enjoyable than the prior, which i find rather sad. While this game has the potential to be very well one of the best and unique games out there, it falls short, by a lot due to thew laziness of its programmers and developers. It's sad too because there're so many good examples out there of simple game systems like currency that they failed to follow. Expand
  76. Apr 29, 2013
    The Good:

-The gunplay is fun and varied at all engagement distances, from sniping to closer quarters combat. The variation in potential play style is solid. -The writing and story are funny, and well-done. The missions rarely feel dull or disinteresting. -Co-op multiplayer is great. If there are two of you, and you want to play this game together, get it. If there are 4 players, it's
    The Good:

-Co-op multiplayer is great. If there are two of you, and you want to play this game together, get it. If there are 4 players, it's even better.

Bad
    -Re-playability is lacking. Once you finish the main storyline, the new game modes are just repeats of the same content, but harder.
    -Sorting through junk for the first 10-15 levels of the game is pretty frustrating. This gets better as the game goes on, but it's still tedious.

I'd recommend this game to anybody looking for a good co-op shooter experience, for a solid 30-40 hours of entertainment more if you plan on replaying the game with different characters.
  77. Jun 8, 2013
    this game is certainly overrated, perhaps for historical reasons. The game mechanics are broken. AI gets tuck often and, unfortunately, you almost must take advantage of if the game is simply too difficult otherwise.
    UI is very poorly designed. Simply things such as inventory control is archaic and frustrating. Character movement such as crouching is hard to control. The environment, even though creative, is very repetitive and becomes boring soon. There is a good selection of guns, but most of them are similarly ineffective and it is hard to judge the power of the weapon just by quickly looking at it, you have to read all the stats that are presented in a confusing way.
    As many report, the game is funny. But again, this becomes annoying soon. You are in the middle of a battle nearly death while your friendly AI, instead of helping, tells you jokes all the time.

This game is trying hard to be fun and original. It fails in both, it is frustrating and difficult instead.
  78. Jul 6, 2013
    Just getting into the Borderlands genre I have to say it can be a VERY fun game. But it is good to play this game in chunks. After four hours the game can get really boring. Also having soooooo much to do it's easy to get side track. I also wish the level up system was faster. But all in all I say it's a 7.5.
  79. Nov 2, 2013
    The game boast a lot of guns and an memorable villain, both of which are true. However I find it hard to imagine that many people invest themselves into the game after 1 play-through (unless they do co-op). On PC there are several bugs: invisible walls, disappearing bullets, vending machine glitches, enemy's freeze up, enemies shot at nothing, enemies fly off the map.

The initial

The initial play-through (normal) is relatively balanced but challenging. There are a good deal of missions and a lot of location. After completing the game you unlock true-vault hunter mode (play+) which isn't about enemies using tactics requiring strategy, but a race between you and them to become ridiculously overpowered. They move faster than you can turn, leap 2 stories, run backwards at full speed without hitting anything. The health bar is the same for every enemy, but not all level 50s are made the same. One has to grind through basic enemies that have 10x your health, so you'll need to unload mass amounts of bullets even into low level enemies. Loot drops greatly impact how you spec your character as well as how you play. While I don't mind some amount of farming, you have to farm a lot which involves having to reload from your saves over and over for hours to unlock one item then move onto the other (that's if the item is farmable or you've farmed enough to be able to farm a better item). Spending 20 hours to find one gun and hope it's the right level and variation isn't a lot of fun. There isn't any change of pace. Aside from killing enemies, there almost nothing to do (challenges would be the exception but most of those involve killing enemies).

The dialogue is good though the overall story isn't that impressive. The skill trees have several options, but each character only has 1 special skill and all of the options are passive. Characters can have different clothes or heads but that's it for customization; mostly color swaps.

If you are into looting guns and firing guns until your fingers go numb, this game is for you. If replaying the same scenarios over and over isn't your thing, then I would avoid this game.
  80. Nov 18, 2013
    Single Player/Multi Player (2/2)

(If the single player is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no multplayer) (If the multiplayer is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no single player) Gameplay (1/2) Visuals/Story (2/2) (If the visuals are better than the story, review this section as if it had no story) (If the story is
    Single Player/Multi Player (2/2)

Gameplay (1/2)

Visuals/Story (2/2)

Accessibility/Longevity (2/2)

Pricing (0/2)

Wildcard (-1)

81. Oct 18, 2014
    When BL1 was released I was very excited, finally a game that mashed together MMO's, RPG's, and FPS's. It is very unfortunate that Gearbox was the source of this idea.

Borderlands 2, much like Borderlands 1, starts off brilliant. Engaging story and characters, great immersive eviroments, great pacing and balance throughout. It is not until that Playthrough 2 that Borderlands 2, much like Borderlands 1, starts to rear its true head. Starting on Playthrough 2 (which by the way is an incredibly lazy thing for ANY developer to do. Give me a full game, not the same thing 2-4 times.) Gearbox throws out all working concepts of the setting they've established for the game so far:
    - You're super powerful.
    - You have the best guns. Period.
    - Enemies are psychotic, former scientists/miners. I.E, untrained with weapons, certainly less than a merc vault hunter.
    - The enemies don't wear armor (most) and have guns that are duct taped together, literally.

These things lead to a very easy and very enjoyable Playthrough 1 to get acclimated to the game if you're a first time BL player. However, as I stated above, Gearbox ditches all of these established concepts on Playthrough 2 in favor of:
    - You ain't ****
    - You're best gun on the entire planet now shoots spitballls.
    - Enemies are highly trained marine snipers capable of only hitting your head.
    - The enemies still dont wear armor and still have duct taped guns, but now instead of HP/Gun Damage to refect this, they do exponentially more damage than your "Best Gun on the Planet" and have exponentially more health than your "Best Health/Sheild Kit" on the planet.

What does this lead to? A totally underwhelming experience, a ton of balance issues, and a game that turns from enjoyable mass-murderous fun to a tediuous, arguous experience that fights you to enjoy it every step of the way.

TL/DR:

- Bullet Spongeing enemies DOES NOT equal increased diffuculty. This makes your dev team seem lazy and lethargic, and the game itself seem tedious and ill prepared. Bullet sponging enemies is also counterintuitive to collecting any gun, seeing as they all do a pittance of damage to the unarmored enemies. This means I spend 50 levels getting powerful, with no reward other than a chance to do it all again, upon which I am then underpowered indefinetly.

- Balance! Don't include single player if you aren't going to balance it! On Playthrough 2, single player is literally impossible with all but 1 character, and even then you need to be a specific spec with that character for it to become do-able. Conversly, Online is stupid easy, even with just 2/4 people. Where the hell is the balance? BL1 suffered from this problem, and it was obvious then. Did they fix it in BL2, HAH! Not a chance.

This game fights you to enjoy it starting with Playthrough 2 in Solo/Single Player, and you'll fight to pay attention if you play Online because it's stupid easy. I honestly can't recomend this game to anyone, there are too many issues and too much incompetence within the development company for this game to ever shine the way it truely would in the hands of a capable developer.
  82. Jun 26, 2017
    First let me start by saying that this game is neat. I played Borderlands 1, but decided to pass on Borderlands 2 at the time of its release. I just recently picked it up a few days ago (it's now 02/21/2017), and the game originally came out 09/17/2012... so just shy of FIVE YEARS after the game released.

Again, game is fun, but here's the issue I'm having. I purchased the $40 GOTY

Again, game is fun, but here's the issue I'm having. I purchased the $40 GOTY edition, where in the past, most GOTY editions come with everything that's come out for a game... and would think almost 5 years later, they'd be more than happy to have everything bundled together for the $40 I paid. But no... and don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the 10 items that are included in Steam's GOTY edition... but then while I'm in game, I go over to the customization-station, and see at least 5 skins for the Gunzerker that have an "*" next to them and figured maybe that meant they were premium items that were included... go to equip one, to find out I have to pay $1 each for each of the 5 or so "*" skins, and while perusing, notice there's about 5 for each class. So 6 classes x 5 skins @ $1 a piece, that'd be another $30 right there for JUST SKINS. Then while perusing father, it dawns on me that the Season Pass also wasn't part of the package, which is another $30... then I see scenario packs (but from what I understand they'd be included with the Season Pass, so won't list their prices), but on top of that, there's other packs, like a second level-cap pack (GOTY included the first I believe), which is another $5.

Get where I'm going here!? $40 for GOY edition, plus $30 for JUST SKINS, plus $30 for Season Pass, plus $5 for the second level-cap pack (fairly certain that covers everything, but considering the lengthy list of DLC on Steam for this can't be certain)... so just to have the COMPLETE Borderlands 2 experience, even almost 5 years later, WITH a newer Borderlands (Pre-Sequal) that has released, looking at spending $105 at least!!! There's a "Borderlands: Take Over Your Life" pack for $129 which I believe included all Borderlands games, and I'd assume by the name everything for them... just WOW!

To be fair, I can at least recommend Borderlands 2 and perhaps even the GOTY edition, so long as you're going to just play the game and do your best to dodge all pay-walls and invisible dollar signs looming through the game... but I must say, so early on in the game to be struck in the face with, "oh, that'll cost you this much extra" after already having purchased the GOTY edition almost 5 years later on after the original release... I sadly am left with a "Need For Speed: Most Wanted" (the remake) impression... where immersion feels now a bit constantly broken, and honestly a bit gross, with pay-walls and missing-content and invisible dollar-signs looming all throughout the game. >_<

(From what I read about what's in the scenarios and the second level-cap pack, and skins, and other stuff... really feel like even after paying $40 almost 5 years later, there's still a decent amount that I'm missing out on. Honestly, I could easily afford the other $65 or more DLC, but the principle is just slapping me in the face like a stinky tuna-fish!)
  83. Oct 28, 2014
    Considering how this game is getting so many great reviews I feel like I have bee playing something else. The game is ok but it does have a lot annoying problems. The story really isn't as good as people are saying although it can be funny. The landscapes are boring, its a wasteland, grey, empty, all the levels are similar and their boring. I both like and really, really hate the lootConsidering how this game is getting so many great reviews I feel like I have bee playing something else. The game is ok but it does have a lot annoying problems. The story really isn't as good as people are saying although it can be funny. The landscapes are boring, its a wasteland, grey, empty, all the levels are similar and their boring. I both like and really, really hate the loot system. I like having lots of guns and loot but it gets very frustrating not having a good gun drop or when you finally do get something you like it turns into crap ten minutes later (I want to craft my own guns). Overall this game is fine but definitely over hyped. Expand
  84. Jul 27, 2014
    theirs only one complaint i have with it is the requirements it puts such a strain on my computer that i can only play for 20 mins before the graphics card overheats other then that during play its great for first person shooter games pls focus more on the script of things details arent too inportant on crazy games this is my opinion
  85. May 29, 2016
    The game has greatly improved in term of software quality. BL1 was troublesome (yet playable). They also add some interesting features, like the ability to transfer items between characters (finally).

My main complaint is the fact that your character is limited to level 50. You have to buy add on or the GOTY edition to go beyond that level. It's not like this game as a free to play model and you buy options. I've paid a decent price for that game and I feel cheated. So if you want to buy it, get the GOTY edition.

Also, many patches after the release, they changed something which made the game much harder. I don't know if they weaken the characters or their weapons or if it was the monster that were much stronger. The result is you can get killed by normal monsters that are few levels below yours. And to make points for your characters, you have to fight monsters that are ideally slightly above your level. And I'm not even talking about boss monsters and so. See the picture?
  86. Jul 31, 2017
    Borderlands is a series that I feel very mixed about. On one hand, I love the world, characters, et cetera. On the other hand, Borderlands 2 has absolutely ruined any semblance of fairness and balance. In the first game, I could go in solo and have a reasonable expectation of success. Obviously you never will come out unscathed, but you could carry health kits to offset it a bit.

In the

In the second game, it backhands you and throws any concept of fair out of the window if you dare to show your face around it without friends, especially early on/late game. It got to the point that in the final sections of the game, attempting to do it without absolutely the best equipment was futile, as enemies would annihilate you just by sneezing in your direction. After playing the first game, I did plenty of research on characters and builds before setting off into the second game. I settled on Axton for my first full playthrough.

It would seem obvious but to the mad idiots at Gearbox it might bear repeating. Starting a game fighting giant yeti's that can jump across entire zip/post codes, outrun you, knock you back across entire zip/post codes, take out most of your shields in one hit, spawn by the dozens, and spawn with a variant that is constantly throwing **** at you with literal pin-point accuracy and capable predict your movements with no margin of error IS NOT FUN.

It gets better after you stop encountering those unnamed white **** heads, but not by much. People say if you want to be OP, just sidequest. Those people are filthy **** liars. With copious sidequesting and a decent build/equipment, the final zone leading up to Handsome Jack absolutely destroyed me relentlessly. I went from several hundred-thousand dollars to a few thousand from dying alone, which resulted in forcing me to download a save editor and kit myself out with top of the line gear.

It's such a **** shame after how good and fun the first game was solo that they felt the need to **** on anyone who doesn't want to play multiplayer by making it so relentlessly difficult. Thankfully, the community doesn't seem to be as braindead about it as the community of some other games are, and the consensus from what I've seen is that the game will absolutely hate you and make no secret of it if you play solo.

I realize that this review probably comes off as a bit light, but there is no one single thing I can point to that proves why it is such a slog solo. Enemies that don't stop moving making it impossible to get a good shot at them more often than not. Enemies that will purposefully run away from you when you enter fight-for-your-life, unfairly forcing you to bleed out and start the area from the start. Gun mechanics that make cartoon guns look realistic, you'll rarely find a gun that isn't a pile of ass and recoil. Enemies with projectile attacks that literally cannot miss unless you stop moving, wait for them to launch, then move, then hope that it's friends didn't brutalize you too bad while standing still.

Last thing is not something I normally pay any attention to, but when I get FPS drops on a Gigabyte OC 980 and a 4.5GHz CPU on a game this old is an absolutely shameful job optimizing the game. I can run Dishonored 2 maxed out and my GPU is well below the recommended.

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Feb 6, 2013
    It’s addicting, full of creative gags and amazing battles (especially in co-op mode) and it keeps dangling that loot-carrot in front of your face. Add that crazy humor on top and you have a synonymous for the world ‘entertainment’. [November 2012]
  2. Dec 3, 2012
    If you're looking for something with a ponderous story full of morality and contemplation – one best savored alone – then you'll need to look elsewhere. Borderlands 2 delivers tons of lighthearted, occasionally juvenile fun with immense replayability, and is best approached with a few buddies in tow. It doesn't revolutionize the concept pioneered by its forebear, but it refines it to a razor-sharp edge and offers some of the most fun you can have in a cooperative action RPG this side of Diablo II. And if nothing else, it's got lots of Claptrap.
  3. Oct 30, 2012
    The moment at which my endearingly annoying robot companion Claptrap fashioned himself a Mohawk out of some animal fur I collected he earned a spot on my all-time favorite robot list.