8.1

Generally favorable reviews- based on 2012 Ratings

1. Sep 19, 2012
    Damn near perfect, even for a console port. It is early on launch day yet it feels crisp and clean. Controlling your character is far easier this time around as the control are much better developed for the PC. The humor is dark, although the story is a little more serious this time around. About an hour in to the game you really want to kill Handsome Jack, and if you still think he is a cool dude by then you're pretty **** up. If you liked Borderlands you will find that this is a true sequel that lives up to the hype.

They did a great job of melding the story of Borderlands with Borderlands 2. I know, I know they are sequels but GearBox didn't really set the first game up for having a sequel. I guess since the story in the original was kinda of lacking it makes sense that it was easy to mold the two together.

Overall Borderlands 2 is a great improvement on the original connecting with friends is far easier now that Steam has been fully integrated, even though it is still a little buggy when connecting initially. Maybe the best improvement they have made is the size of the game. The world feels large and looks large, not the mention it is beautiful. I can run this game on almost the highest setting on my laptop. (Note: I do have a ASUS RoG laptop designed for games but it is kind of dated) If you have a computer that can handle CoD you will be fine.
  2. Sep 18, 2012
    A bit of unpolished physics, strange animations, and such keep this from being a perfect ten. But everything else?

Guns: Awesome. Gameplay: Exciting. Writing: Hysterical. Replayability: Basically infinite with the character-spanning Badass Token system.

This game is everything I'd hoped for.
  3. Sep 18, 2012
    This game is exactly what the video game industry needed. I'm only a level 15 and yet i've been playing for hours - new game + just sweetens the deal. It's honestly going to be game of the year without a doubt.
  4. Sep 18, 2012
    Borderlands 2 is like the original on steroids. Everything is just plain better - voice acting, story, UI, graphics...it's all just better. With the same awesome FPS experience the first one brought to the table. And GUNS. SO MANY GUNS. The game has way better options for PC gamers (FOV option is built right in), and the menu's are not all consolified like the first version, a nice gesture from the slap-in-the-face PC gamers get normally with console ports.

The world also feels bigger, but filled with more characters, rather then just endless desert like the original. While its no Skyrim in terms of world openness, it's at least headed in the right direction.

One small disappointment is the check point system remains the same. You have to find a check point in order to save your progress. Check points are so 90's. Adults have lives, and they don't always have 15 minutes to find the next pole. In the scheme of things...it's a minor complaint.

Bottom line - more baddies for you to shoot, blow-up and electrocute. Better voice acting, more story, better story, and all the FPS action of the original - it's pretty much FPS of the year.
  5. Sep 18, 2012
    If you loved Borderlands, you will love Borderlands 2. They did it. I don't know how, but they made Borderlands better. Best of all, they made the PC version playable! Playing over steam with friends is as easy as playing native steam games like Left 4 Dead 2 with friends. The graphics look great, the game runs perfectly at max settings with high end hardware, and the gameplay is fun and more challenging than the original. The only flaw I can really find in this game is that the menus are unnecessarily clunky. Namely, the inability to use WASD to navigate menus (Skyrim, anyone?). But really, this is a wonderful game so far, and a much better piece of software than the terrible PC version of the first game was. :D Expand
  6. Sep 18, 2012
    Beautiful graphics and animation, excellent cinematography, voice acting, dark sense of humor and overall theme.

Lots of quests / missions that are made even more seamless than the first. You might still feel it's a bit grindy, but if you don't like staples of RPGs (leveling, looting, questing) you shouldn't play RPGs.

The game certainly delivers as a FPS, perfect weapon / aim
    control, combat feels very fluid. Expand
  7. Sep 18, 2012
    I pre-ordered the game on Steam. It became available right at midnight with no issues.. Played for about 3 1/2 hours. The graphics are much better on PC than the console versions, theres even some Nvidia specific stuff you can turn on. If you liked Borderlands, you'll love Borderlands 2.
  8. Sep 19, 2012
    Improves upon the first game in every aspect. Keeps all of the good and fixed all of the bad from Borderlands 1. If you were a fan of the first this is a must play. Borderlands 1 DLC was the only DLC I have ever bought that I felt I got my moneys worth. (General Knox DLC was longer than some full AAA title games.) The first DLC is free to those who pre-ordered, and contains a new playable class/character. Like many new games, you can pre-order the DLC packs at a discount. This is the only game in the last 2 years that I would and have done so.

I would like to go back and play the first game with the new classes, smarter AI, better weapons, and updated graphics. Maybe in the DLC :).
  9. Sep 18, 2012
    Basically, if you enjoyed the first game, you will love this one. Gearbox listened to the feedback us nerds provided and answered by getting rid of the weak co-op and adding a tremendous amount of the things we enjoyed. Great dialog, creative environments, smooth gameplay, luscious looting. I am tempted to give it a 10.
  10. Sep 19, 2012
    Ugh... I normally don't post these but after reading a few of the negative reviews I felt compelled to. First off, this is not a console port. Borderlands 2 looks better and runs better than Borderlands 1 for the plain and simple fact it was optimized for PC. I'm running a $200 ATI video card I bought last November and the game runs fine.

Second, it does not have day one DLC. I'm sorry
    everyone, but if it was there I probably would've bought it. It does however have DLC coming out in a month that the developers worked on after the game went gold. If you pre-ordered the game, you get the DLC for free. The people moaning about this either didn't get the memo or forgot to pre-order. Its not our fault you missed out, every game gets pre-order goodness now and this game was no different.

Third, the game does offer a "season pass" for DLC. They aren't common, but it has been done before with games such as Saints Row 3. This is an optional purchase that will get you all of the DLC released over the next year (more or less). This is not an earth-shattering money grab, you are guaranteed to receive at least a set amount of DLC. It may even include the new character class (rumor I heard, but I have not independently confirmed it).

Fourth, if you didn't enjoy Borderlands 1 you probably will not enjoy Borderlands 2. I'm sorry, it doesn't have 32 player competitive multiplayer. Boo-freak'in-hoo.

Now, for those of you who want someone's opinion who knew what they were buying...

Graphically, the game is a minor improvement. It makes use of more shaders (reflective ice for example) and has been optimized for framerates.

The game no longer goes through Gamespy and accesses your Steam friends list. Port-forwarding is no longer required to host games (damn, that was annoying).

The weapon system has been tweaked so that weapons can use more than 1 ammo per shot, there are also new types of grenades such as "homing mirv sticky grenades". Health, ammo and cash will auto-loot in combat.

The humor is reminiscent of General Knoxx. If you have ever watched Frisky Dingo, Handsome Jack's lines seem like they were written for Xander Crews. Lines such as "... why don't you turn around and... what the hell happened to your face!"

Quests however seem to reuse zones a bit more though not as excessive as say Dragon Age 2. It is however more noticeable than Borderlands 1 and the enemies don't scale up. Boss fights and zones are now repeatable within a single game session.

Targeting... is a lot more specific in this version. If you are even a pixel off from hitting a mob, they will not be hit. There is a target assist, but I don't recommend using it

The max level is 50, expect Gearbox to dangle increased level caps in DLC. That's exactly what they did in Borderlands 1 DLC. I would've have preferred more levels and larger skills trees... but we don't all get what we want.

The game rewards players with multiple characters with the "bada**" system that allows you to take incremental upgrades based on achievement completion that affects all characters. It can be toggled off.

Overall, I'm happy with the game. Its not the breakthrough that Borderlands 1 was but it is an evolution of the game concept with some risky features added in. If you are looking for a game with an intricate story, this game isn't for you. Solo play may even be downright boring. But if you've got friends or don't mind playing with random people, cooperative play is where this game really shines.
  11. Sep 18, 2012
    The game is fantastic. They addressed a number of config problems from borderlands one, resulting in a much smoother PC experience. The mobs feel great, the quests are just in line with what I wanted in terms of difficulty, variety, and story. Their audio snippets are a smash hit with me, and I wish more devs would tell story that way.
  12. Sep 18, 2012
    It's like borderlands except without all the problems, there is enough variety to make every gun feel unique. The physx effects are amazingly optimized, runs at 50-60 FPS on my GTX 580, all high settings and physx high.
  13. Sep 18, 2012
    Excellent game. PC version is well made like Gearbo's support. There's some problems but I trust that developer fixes them, since they already provided PC features that are lacking in other games. Great game, fun to play.
  14. Sep 18, 2012
    Game of the year, if not the greatest game of all time. Probably the greatest FPSRPG of all time. Absolutely perfect in every way imaginable. Improves on every single aspect of Borderlands 1. GG guys, gg.
  15. Sep 18, 2012
    Game expands on the original with more of their humor and more weapons. If you enjoy your loot driven games like Diablo and torchlight you'll enjoy this FPSRPG. Scored non 10 because being a console port video options are pretty weak. As for the negative reviews for split-screen on a PC ...I don't even..
  16. Sep 18, 2012
    Played non stop since the midnight release. I have got to say, it was well worth the $36 dollars I ended up spending. They really went above and beyond a simple port. It has integrated well with PC and steam. I was really surprised to find how easy it was to find my steam friends on there, and how easy it was to join them.. like even easier than TF2
  17. Sep 19, 2012
    The game is like a polished version of 1. If you loved 1 you will probably love this one. It takes the concepts from the 1st game and expands them. I am playing with 3 friends and I feel like many hours of our collective lives will be buried in this title. During the 1st Hour I laughed, got knocked down, got numerous satisfying headshots and squealed like a kid at Christmas.
  18. Jan 14, 2013
    This game really surprised me.Never played first borderlands since graphic was unappealing to me. Most likely would never picked up second one if it wasn't gifted to me. I must say that i had real blast while playing it. Not even sure when my steam counter jumped to over 50 hours in less then 2 weeks ;). I really love it, Pandora is amazing place to explore. everywhere you go there's something completely new to discover. Scenery really changes between zones, they put lots of work into them. I only wish zones would level with me, some quests were simply too easy as i came back to them after a while. other then that, perfect game Expand
  19. Sep 18, 2012
    This is a great iteration on the same formula that made Borderlands fun. Every single system is improved, including the anemic opening fights in the first game; this time you jump into a plot fight without having to wade through a mile of filler first. Claptrap is often actually amusing - Gearbox clearly realized how annoying he became in the first and made him the butt of some honestly funny jokes here. Gun handling is tight and I'd say the PC version is truly a "PC version", not a "PC port" - much unlike the first game, they put in the time to do it right. The difficulty is turned up a few notches, though - my Siren character regularly gets curb stomped which didn't happen much in the first game. The game is clearly balanced for multiplayer, but it's still a lot of fun single player - just don't expect to dominate everything on your first try like in BL 1. In short, this is a truly excellent followup. If you liked Borderlands you absolutely need to get this; if you didn't, skip the first and try this out. Especially for PC, it is literally better in every way. Expand
  20. Sep 18, 2012
    Best loot driven game I have played. Incredibly funny dialogue, fun to play classes, beautiful graphics and tons of weapons. It's so easy to play with your friends and the PC version is superb.
  21. Sep 18, 2012
    Some of the reviews have said that this is a console port. This is actually untrue though. I had followed the development of BL2 pretty closely and one thing that Gearbox always stressed is that the PC version was not a simple game port. Its the a full fledged GAME. Which is to say that they developed this version of the game alongside the console versions (not afterward). For a game developer to do that extra work just to keep consumers happy AND release a game this good is just the best, 10/10 for the game and 10/10 for Gearbox. Expand
  22. Sep 19, 2012
    Never played a game so funny and so awsome like this.A masterpiece in all aspects.The gameplay is unique,the humor are fantastic,the story is comic but more madure,with more emotion this time.The graphics are better and the game runs like a charm in a pc with minimum requiriments.The guns? How mich?Just don't know.. maybe..infinite? Amazing,diversified and beautiful guns.All of then. Love the game.It's 100%worth and 100% awsome. A must-have and a must-buy. Expand
  23. Sep 20, 2012
    I've been waiting to this day for a long time, played Borderlands 2 almost 6 hours today and I can say that this game is AMAZING. The first game was insanely fun and Gearbox took everything that we didn't like it and improved. You will no longer receive damage from falling, no matter how high you will jump, your challenges now will give you a little -yet essential- bonus ; you don't need to repair Claptraps anymore to expand your backpack and you won't need to spend 600000 dollars in a single weapon upgrade (Crazy Earl will do that for Eridium - a new kind of currency in Pandora), this game doesnt label your character ; what do I mean ? That you can play as Zero and use assault rifles, you can snipe with Axton, you can do everything you want, because you've 3 different Skill trees to each character, making 3 different ways of gameplay with each one. Borderlands 2 it's all about fetching quests and looking for new and more powerful guns, and it delivers pretty well. The sidequests are the real GEM of this game, you will laugh your ass off with that sweet humor that you can only find in Borderlands. Our beloved characters are back, you can drink with Moxxi (from Mad Moxxi DLC), Catch a Ride with the funny (probably one of the funniest characters in the game) redneck Scooter and his sister Ellie, high five and dance dubstep with Claptrap, or help Roland/Mordecai/Lilith and Brick to defeat the biggest prick of Pandora - Handsome Jack. All in all Borderlands HAS EVERYTHING that I care about - Funny and good story (and sidequests), LOTS of guns, Solid Cell-shading graphics, an awesome 4 people strategic co-op, a HUGE word with tons of new enemies and Claptrap - I'm still checking this little guy dancing. Borderlands 2 is a MUST for both Hardcore/Casual gamers. Expand
  24. Sep 18, 2012
    at 13 hours into launch and i had realized i had put in 11.8 hours into the game. In a year where there are quite a few AAA titles, Borderlands 2 is a very strong contender for my personal 2012 GOTY..... however two glaring points keep BL2 from a 10/10 score. the first: STILL not being able to track multiple missions on your radar, the second: backtracking! having to trek across a map that is 5-6 levels below you (with respawned bosses along the way) just to complete an objective = not fun. everything else pretty much rocks... i love the new menus, pc optimization & settings (compared to the bare-bones console port of BL1), the bonus character skins/heads for achievements, the music (still have it on 10, yet to mute it), the epic dialogue/banter (especially from Clap Trap, Scooter, Handsome Jack), old & new characters & enemies... yes there is announced DLC but if its anything like BL1's add-ons, Gearbox actually does this right. All in all.... 9 out of 10 Marcus bobbleheads. Expand
  25. Sep 24, 2012
    So far, i have played about 13 hours, this is a great game. The enemies are great, the weapons are great, each area feels like it has been designed and not just thrown together. It is really well balanced. Sometimes you feel like you are kicking ass other times you are praying for a 'fight back' kill to get back on your feet. I only played a little bit of borderlands 1 and couldn't really get in to it. I didn't give it enough of a chance but it felt a lot more generic than this. If you have played a lot of borderlands 1 maybe this would not be as much fun... maybe. Anyway I am loving it. The action is solid, the level up system is rewarding and the guns are great. I don't care how many there are but the ones you use feel great. Expand
  26. Sep 18, 2012
    Takes what was so good about Borderlands, and makes it even better. Then adds just about every tweek and improvement you can think of.

After having to deal with Diablo 3 for months of disapointment, frustration, and trying to finish without using the real money auction house, this game gives me faith again in game developers again.
  27. Feb 8, 2013
    First play through: amazing. 10/10. The story is meh, but the fun factor is there. Co-op with some buddies is awesome, much the same as BL1. Farming can get old pretty fast. Some of the characters are done excellently; Handsome Jack comes to mind. Second play through: Not so amazing. 7.5/10. Gets boring rather quickly... you know what's coming, there are no new skills as by that point you can re-spec to any skill you want. DLC, in order of how I would rate them... 1) Pirates 2) Torgue 3) Hammerlock. Pirates was fun, new enemies, new vehicle (and the best one in the game, I think) Torgue was hilarious, and Hammerlock? Hammerlock was crap. If you bought the seasons pass, sorry. You could have spent the same amount of cash on the other 3 (1 not released yet) and saved yourself some trouble. It wasn't a 3/10, but a solid 5.5. The game itself is great... For a while. After that it's grind-fest. Still, I find myself going to my Steam library and constantly playing it. Now that it's 50% off, get it while it lasts! Expand
  28. Sep 20, 2012
    What is with PC gamers nowadays? I've been primarily a PC gamer since before Wolfenstein 3D, and after all this time, I am completely unable to understand how people can be so ridiculously critical of PC games. This game is being vilified as a console port? Seriously?? The graphics are vastly improved over the original, there are options to change TONS of graphics options (including the oft-asked-for field of view), the controls are rock-solid and customizable, and there are only a few bugs. I'm honestly starting to believe that PC gamers are going to whine until there are no more consoles, period. Dark Souls was the roughest port I've ever seen, but the game was still awesome, and I want to see more console games on PC. Rant aside, this game is awesome. While it is not radically different than the first, the mechanics are all improved, and the game has been expanded greatly. If you liked Borderlands 1, you will love 2. If you didn't like 1, you probably won't like 2 either. The characters are all diverse, and the abilities are a lot more useful and powerful (Phaselock in particular is insanely handy). I went through Borderlands 1 without using the special abilities really at all, but that's not the case with 2. Guns are widely more varied now, and are interesting to collect. The only criticism I can say about guns is that in the early part of the game, I ran out of ammo INSANELY quickly. In multiplayer, you share money, eridium (used to buy upgrades), and even ammo (the other player gets half of what you pick up). Sharing loot can still be a sore spot in multiplayer matches, but if you're playing with friends, it shouldn't be a huge problem. The way character upgrades work is a lot better than Borderlands 1 as well. In 1, you only leveled up weapons that you used, which led to people sticking to one type of gun from the very beginning. In 2, however, you work on "challenges" that give you points you can use towards certain unlocks. It's a much more elegant system. ***************************************************************************************** Bottom line, Borderlands 2 is a very well-done game that surpasses the original in every way. If you were bored by Borderlands 1, pass 2 up, but if you loved 1, you will love 2. Expand
  29. Oct 24, 2012
    Very, very nice game. And one of the things that makes this game so good is that 2K Games succeded in what is nearly impossiple: Making a game that is better than it's predecessor in every way. The story is better, the talent system is better, the jokes are funnier and most importantly: The loot is way more awesome! The only reason i only gave this game 9/10 is because the single player is a lot worse than the multiplayer. Especially the last stand system is completly **** when there is no one to revive you. So i think i would give the multiplayer a 10/10 and then the single player about 7/10. Expand
  30. Sep 18, 2012
    Alright, let's get the fact that this game is a console port out of the way. It's a console port. There I said it, now let's get over it. Moving on to the important parts, such as gameplay, narrative, and graphics, the things people actually give a flying f*** about. If you've played the first, then you'll know what the gameplay is like. It's the same basic idea, random weapon generator creates hundreds of weapons, you shoot enemies, enemies die,you get loot and experience. And you know what? That's a recipe for some good gameplay in my book. I also think Gearbox made the right move in creating four all new Vault Hunters, while making the originals important to the story. That leads me to the next part, which is the story. Basically, you're a Vault Hunter, Handsome Jack is evil and cruel, you must kill him before he finds the new Vault and uses it to rule all of Pandora. Pretty straightforward, but it works. And Jack is just one of those antagonists you hate from the very beginning. He's rude, sarcastic, cruel, and, well...evil, I guess would be the right word. It's a straightforward plot, but it's a bloody good one. My only complaint are the PC's vehicle controls, which are a bit...what's a good word...clunky. But that's a small complaint as I got used to them fairly quickly. Now, for the graphics...honestly, I couldn't care less that the graphics aren't as good on the PC version as they are on the consoles. Why? Because I don't need fancy graphics to keep me entertained. The core of a game is how it plays, not how it looks. Give me a game with good gameplay and bad graphics over a game with bad gameplay and good graphics any day. To sum up, it's a very well done game, and a worthy sequel to the original. I recommend it, regardless of which platform you get it for. Expand

It’s addicting, full of creative gags and amazing battles (especially in co-op mode) and it keeps dangling that loot-carrot in front of your face. Add that crazy humor on top and you have a synonymous for the world ‘entertainment’. [November 2012]
  2. Dec 3, 2012
    If you're looking for something with a ponderous story full of morality and contemplation – one best savored alone – then you'll need to look elsewhere. Borderlands 2 delivers tons of lighthearted, occasionally juvenile fun with immense replayability, and is best approached with a few buddies in tow. It doesn't revolutionize the concept pioneered by its forebear, but it refines it to a razor-sharp edge and offers some of the most fun you can have in a cooperative action RPG this side of Diablo II. And if nothing else, it's got lots of Claptrap.
  3. Oct 30, 2012
    The moment at which my endearingly annoying robot companion Claptrap fashioned himself a Mohawk out of some animal fur I collected he earned a spot on my all-time favorite robot list.