Botanicula PC

8.3

1. Feb 5, 2013
    What is this beauty, these colors, this world, these creatures, everything in this game is incredibly amazing. Botanicula is full of surprises. You will never expect what will happen next to be shocked by something beautiful that you have not seen before.
  2. Aug 23, 2012
    Samorost 1 and 2 were fun puzzle games but the puzzles themselves were a bit shallow then they released Machinarium which I found extremely entertaining with puzzles that made you think rather than know what to do right when you see it. Finally comes Botanicula, which I feel has regressed back to the shallow gameplay of their earlier titles. The puzzles were boring, if you can even callSamorost 1 and 2 were fun puzzle games but the puzzles themselves were a bit shallow then they released Machinarium which I found extremely entertaining with puzzles that made you think rather than know what to do right when you see it. Finally comes Botanicula, which I feel has regressed back to the shallow gameplay of their earlier titles. The puzzles were boring, if you can even call them puzzles considering for half of them all you have to do is click on the different party members til you find the right one. I also personally liked the art of all the previous titles more than Botanicula's as well. Each location in Machinarium felt as if I were standing in a painting whereas with Botanicula all I see is green. Overall not very impressive, I hope they plan on making another samorost or Machinarium title next. Expand
  3. May 24, 2012
    Machinarium sucks you in its world and story. Your goal is clear in every scene, but not in Botanicula. You know you have to collect 5 keys, save 3 kids, whatever, but you don't know how do those relate to your final goal. Music was a great part of it, but I'd like to see more variations on the same theme, or better yet, make other themes.

I would have given it a 7, but 9 bucks for 2.5

I would have given it a 7, but 9 bucks for 2.5 hours of gameplay just isn't good enough.
  4. Jun 18, 2012
    now about the game, well it's artistic and original, creative, never know what to expect, will be always wow'ed. Exploring it is awesome. However the gameplay is pure **** Literally. This isn't for a die hard gameplay guy. If you can enjoy a game masterfully pleasant to watch, this is just for you, and let me tell you, I have enjoyed this game. This game hereby earns 6 jim faces out of 10.
  5. May 4, 2012
    Im not sure what i expected going into this game, when i picked it up on the HiB, it reminded me of Limbo, and i wasnt overly impressed with that either. It was pretty but i would have appreciated an idea of what i was supposed to do ingame, i clicked around and dropped a few bugs in a hole and then i gave up. I just didnt click with it.
  6. Feb 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Botanicula is a surprisingly beautiful game. As a resident of a tree, you have the task of protecting the tree against the monstrous spiders that absorb the sap of the tree. Here you four more friends to help you in this perilous journey into the unknown. You have to solve tricky tasks with the help of your surroundings and your friends. The game has an incredibly cute graphics and great sound. Cute! Expand
  7. Oct 30, 2013
    Conclusion:
    Botanicula is a point&click adventure and exploration game driven by a pictured, unspoken narrative. It is set in a rather ficional, microscopic world of plants and their inhabitants.
    Conclusion:

The game being executed in a rather special style is not a bad thing, but does not conform a mainstream audience. I would recommend it only to completely open-minded players or die-hard point&click adventure fans, not for the puzzles but for the funny situations one gets to see and the rather drawing narrative. In that way does the title serve its purpose as exploration game great.

For a retail price of 10$ and a casual playthrough in 3 hours with some puzzle related obstacles, the "h of fun/$" ratio is rather low but still worth buying compared to visiting a cinema. By now the game is reasonable priced regularly. A high amount of replayability can not be found in this title but the soundtrack is worth hearing it after a playthrough and makes one relive some good memories around this game.

Execution:
    The gameplay focuses on puzzles given by the game. It mainly resolves around finding an item to bring it to a certain spot where it would be needed. Finding those items may resolve around reactions one has to experiment with before. Some alternative choices spice up the experiment but only lead to dead ends, which are often enough represented with some kind of humor.

The art is consistent and the user interface is as non-intrusive as possible to focus the perception on the pictures itself. Characters are displayed as asymmetrical and natural as one would expect from the setting and displayed background. The sounds feel disruptive in the beginning, some even feel broken in the way they were recorded. The music however is often a lively loop, enhancing the perception on the pictures. It is worth emphasizing that in both, general art and sound, the consistency was maybe broken as a stylistic device (see the rather symmetrical appearance of the antagonist).

The protagonist gathers together with his friends to live through his quest. They are confronted with many other small creatures, friendly and hostile alike, throughout their adventure. The draw of the story is mainly driven by the interest about what happens next to the band of troubles. The main antagonist and the story surrounding him is in my perception rather uninteresting.
  8. Mar 3, 2014
    One of my favorite game soundtracks and sound designs. Every 'design' element of this game is sublime in idea and execution. Very worth playing. But the game took me more than a year to finish, since I didn't feel compelled to move on when I got stuck on something. There could have been more connected, flowing plot and a hint system for those moments where you think you've clickedOne of my favorite game soundtracks and sound designs. Every 'design' element of this game is sublime in idea and execution. Very worth playing. But the game took me more than a year to finish, since I didn't feel compelled to move on when I got stuck on something. There could have been more connected, flowing plot and a hint system for those moments where you think you've clicked everything. I'd say 80% of the game had me in awe and happiness, but the last 20% were spent frustrated. And each time I was on the right track but should have noticed something that was far from intuitive. That's not difficulty, it's misunderstanding. The enemy of point'n'click games. Expand

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Aug 31, 2012
    Botanicula can't hide its shortcomings, mostly the short duration (about three hours for completion), the non-existent replay value and the tiresome transitions between riddles in the hub. However, its magic atmosphere, the surrealistic portrayal of nature and the happy disposition that sips through from this strange world, compile a unique title, true to the standards of its Czech developers. [July 2012]
  2. Jun 29, 2012
    Botanicula is a wonderful tale in which one loves getting lost; a real puzzler to have fun with; and a genuine visual and sound art piece.
  3. Jun 12, 2012
    A different kind of adventure, in a very different kind of world that wastes no time before growing on you.