6.9

1. EMG
    May 9, 2014
    I stopped caring when the same reviewers who are bashing this game give the likes of every Call of Duty every year a 10/10 and the likes of Diablo 3 a 10/10 praising it for being....fun. I have played 3 hours so far, and honestly it is a bit rough around the edges and is in no way GOTY but it is FUN for me at least, the game is simply enjoyable if you go into it with the right frame ofI stopped caring when the same reviewers who are bashing this game give the likes of every Call of Duty every year a 10/10 and the likes of Diablo 3 a 10/10 praising it for being....fun. I have played 3 hours so far, and honestly it is a bit rough around the edges and is in no way GOTY but it is FUN for me at least, the game is simply enjoyable if you go into it with the right frame of mind..."professional" reviewers are just people except they either have biased towards a game or were not paid enough :) 10/10 for keeping me engaged. Expand
  2. May 9, 2014
    Bound by Flame could have easily been just another fantasy RPG clone that we see hit the market every few months, which is honestly what I expected it might be. But it wasn’t, instead it’s flames shined brighter than I could have ever imagined it could. Highlighted by a thrilling story and fun strategic combat, Bound by Flame should be a game everyone plays.

For a little context, The

For a little context, The world in Bound by Flame has been forced into chaos and ruin by the Deadwalkers, an army of rotting, deformed, and downright disgusting zombie-like creatures. The Deadwalkers were summoned over 150 years ago by the Lords of Ice, who are hell-bent on conquering the world. The Lords of Ice are a circle of mysterious immortal necromancers who have been successfully leading their legions of undead in the extermination of all other known races.

By the time your quest begins, most of the sentient lifeforms have been wiped off the map and have unwillingly joined the Deadwalker army. You enter the story as Vulcan, an upstart human mercenary with a bad attitude and a whole lot of sass. Disaster strikes while protecting a group of mages and Vulcan accidentally ends up on the wrong side of a Demon summoning spell and becomes possessed.

As the fight against the Lords of Ice and their Deadwalker army wages on, Vulcan is constantly tormented by the Demon, tempting him to give up his humanity in order to gain unheard-of levels of magical powers. You are given several chances either take up the demons offer, or preserve your humanity, which can significantly change the story outcome and Vulcan’s appearance.

Spiders did a fantastic job at establishing both compelling lore and an awesome story. I found myself talking to every single character, while making sure to investigate all dialogue options so as not to miss any of this rich story. Most of the story is told through these dialogue investigations, so if you decide to skip them you will surely miss out.

One aspect that sets Bound by Flame apart from other fantasy RPGs is that it doesn’t bother overloading you with thousands of meaningless sidequests. I will admit, I was once a gamer obsessed with finishing every single sidequest in every game just to say I did it, but that is not the case anymore. I simply do not have the time or the patience to spend hundreds of hours completing fetch quests and other throwaway chores for characters you will never speak to again.

I was able to complete both the main questline and the majority of the sidequests available in just over 25 hours. Even if you take your time and dive even deeper into the story that I did, you will still only clock in about 30-35 hours. This is the perfect length for a great fantasy RPG and I commend Spiders for hitting nail on the head.

Bound by Flame looks absolutely gorgeous. Spiders built a world of incredibly diverse environments. However, when comparing Bound by Flame’s unique art style to that of other games in the genre, it doesn’t quite compare the the photorealism that many games have achieved in recent years.

The voice acting in Bound by Flame was far better than what I had expected. But sometimes you will be taken out of the experience because the lip syncing is basically nonexistent. This can be annoying if you are paying close attention to a character’s mouth, but honestly it is not that big of a deal when very few studios actually get this right.

The most common question I have seen asked about Bound by Flame has been, “What is the combat system like?” Well good news, it is fun. However it can be a little difficult and will require strategy to get through most fights. This is not a game where you can run into a large group of enemies and just hack-and-slash your way to victory with no second thought. In fact, that is the easiest way to find yourself dying quicker than the amount of time it took you to run into them.

The strategy required to defeat the many different beasts and Deadwalkers increases tenfold when you encounter a boss fight. Spiders did a great job when designing their terrifying set of bosses. Not only are each of them horrifyingly creepy looking, but they also all have completely new styles as well. If you are anything like me, you will find yourself dying several times on every boss encounter until you can finally develop a well-oiled strategy.

Bound by Flame is a breath of fresh air in an otherwise crowded genre. Spiders has achieved what many developers fail to ever do by creating a beautiful world with an incredibly deep and interesting history while also including a rock solid combat system. I was very glad that I didn’t have to be bothered by all of the silly distractions that are in most triple a RPG’s on the market today. Hopefully this is a step forward in getting rid of fetch quests just for the sake of making a game longer. Bound by Flame was everything I wanted it to be and then some.
  3. May 9, 2014
    Great game and fun what is most important

Gameplay-9
    Graphics-8
    Sound-7
    Length-8
    This game do not deserve a score like 20 or 40!
    Really GOOD game, from me 9 because some pathetic score who think that this game want to be comparison with Dragon age 3 or Witcher 3
  4. op8
    May 9, 2014
    I felt I had to write a user review to shed some truth about this game. (FYI, I've played for 13 hours, not finished yet tho).

With influences from The Witcher (but with better combat and the ability to walk through doorways without any issues) and with a third of the budget, it manages to string together a very enjoyable dark fantasy. The combat is fast and tactical, not at all like the Souls games but can be quite punishing on the hardest difficulty.
    The skills and leveling up gives you the satisfying feeling you are getting stronger and more powerful. The crafting (upgrading) and loot is decent and suits the game. It has a good musical score and the voice acting is actually pretty damn good, apart from a couple of unimportant characters (tho the script is a bit dodgy sometimes).
    The only thing that doesnt work well is the lip syncing, but I don't care too much about that. You could say the art style is similar to Dark Souls, and the graphics are fine and exactly what you'd expect from a mid budget game.

Honestly, its an above average ARPG, and if you luv this type of game you should enjoy this.

The ultra low scores given by some of the gaming press, are shameful and disgusting considering the stupidly high scores they give out to shoddy AAA games all the frigging time.

*solid* 7/10 (taken budget into consideration)
  5. May 9, 2014
    Игра не шедевр, но очень хороша.
    Из плюсов
    + Не плохой сюжет и диалоги + Просто отличный саундтрек и музыкальное сопровождение. + Хорошая графика и оптимизация. Из минусов - Управление, мягко скажем так себе - Интеллект напарников, несмотря на широкий спектр возможностей по управлению напарником, их AI оставляет желать лучшего и требует доработки. - AI врагов далек от идеала. В
    Игра не шедевр, но очень хороша.
    Из плюсов
    + Не плохой сюжет и диалоги
    + Просто отличный саундтрек и музыкальное сопровождение.
    + Хорошая графика и оптимизация.
    Из минусов
    - Управление, мягко скажем так себе
    - AI врагов далек от идеала.
    В общем всем любителям Ведьмака, DA и Fable рекомендую, игра определенно стоит вашего внимания, но особых чудес от нее ждать не стоит.
  6. May 10, 2014
    These so called professionals are starting to become a bad influence and are ruining the gaming industry with their dismissive and arrogant analysis. A lot of good small developers are getting hurt by these reviews, as you can see by the user score 7.1 is a good score, and to the critics who give it a 4 out of a ten really are a joke and haven't got a clue obviously what a fun game is andThese so called professionals are starting to become a bad influence and are ruining the gaming industry with their dismissive and arrogant analysis. A lot of good small developers are getting hurt by these reviews, as you can see by the user score 7.1 is a good score, and to the critics who give it a 4 out of a ten really are a joke and haven't got a clue obviously what a fun game is and always looking to try and be clever and balanced, but instead come across extremely pretentious and fussy, ridiculing something if it's not up to their so called expert standard.

I wish people wouldn't trust their opinion so much, as like with this game, people are missing out on a lot of fun. That is why we play games is to have fun right? Trust me this game has its flaws, but it's also has a lot of good in it. We're not reviewing a new strategy to successful language learning or finding ways to combat road congestion. we're talking about a game, which you play in your spare time. Don't let these reviewers ruin your fun people, check out some YouTube videos and speak to people and judge for yourself because these gaming critics can no longer be trusted to do something so easy as writing a game review.
  7. May 9, 2014
    Bound by Flame is a nice and challenging RPG. Detailed graphics in 1080p, fun and strategic combat, and a good amount of loot and exploration to be had.
  8. May 9, 2014
    I feel many of the reviewers didn't even want to give it a chance or just flail around wondering why things feel clunky. When you are doing things right everything feels very nice so much so I would say that I feel like I am playing another game than the one they did.
    People need to stop mashing buttons and click as animations are ending for a nice barrage of attacks and time dodge/parry not just hold it or mash. Timing it gives counterattacks.
    So far the game has been a blast. Combat is very fluid and animations are really nice if you slow down and don't spam. This game asks you to really use all your tricks to stay alive. You need to make the weak companions attack from a distance, go defensive and heal.
    -The graphics are great and too many people are spoiled. This indie studio pulled off some pretty nice work.
    -Voice acting was really good but indeed awkward in many spots.
    -The sound track is very nice and really set the mood for the game.
    -Character customization is fairly limited but you do get different looking armor and you may begin to look more demonic depending on what you did.
    -It also has a nice tutorial as you go that you can disable if you like and you can hide the mini map from the ui too.

Impressed from the leap they mad in game play since previous titles. A great rpg to have in my collection and for the 19 dollars on gmg I am more than happy. Even then for 33-39 dollars I would have been happy still.
  9. May 9, 2014
    this game is awesome...and i really dont care about what gamespot,ign ...etc have to say about this game..all i know is they dont know to write reviews because they give dark souls 2 10/10 and skyrim 10/10....with those crappy combat and no cinematic but when it comes to bound by flame which is better than those two in all aspects they give it so poor score....
    if you are a dragon
    if you are a dragon age/witcher game fan then you will surely love this game...i bought this game and i can say it was worth it
  10. May 10, 2014
    I guess new trend is giving low scores to non AAA games. Yes, it's not a great game, there are some problems but NO WAY it deserves a score like 40-50. Graphics, musics, dialogs are fine, not great but fine. Characters and story are not bad too. Ofcourse after playing Dark Souls 2 you don't like combat system but how many games features a combat system like Dark Souls? None, Dark SoulsI guess new trend is giving low scores to non AAA games. Yes, it's not a great game, there are some problems but NO WAY it deserves a score like 40-50. Graphics, musics, dialogs are fine, not great but fine. Characters and story are not bad too. Ofcourse after playing Dark Souls 2 you don't like combat system but how many games features a combat system like Dark Souls? None, Dark Souls have the best combat system and most of the RPG games including games like Witcher and Skyrim is bad at combat too. I mean Skyrim, it sucks at combat, Bound by Flame's combat system is much better than Skyrim's and no one talks about Skyrim's combat. Don't get me wrong, Skyrim and Witcher are great games, GREAT GAMES but they have their flaws too.

Usually i really care about reviews but this time i ignored those and bought this game and i'm glad i did. Don't worry about reviews, if you like RPG games, buy it. Ofcouse it would be better if you wait a little after playing Dark Souls.
  11. May 10, 2014
    First off I'd like to say that the critics seem to be viewing this game all wrong. It's not meant to be a triple A title. It's made and sold by a studio that isn't a huge power house developer. Mars War logs got bad reviews, but was unwarranted also it was very good for what it was.

Now BBF is made very well game. I would describe the game to be a low-budget Witcher 2. I'm not the first to make this comparison, so you can imagine it's relatively accurate. I'm playing on the PS4. While it does have some issues with its graphical fidelity; it still stands out as being a very beautiful and detailed game. The fighting system could have been better if a combat roll had been introduced, but even without that the game still excelled at what it is.

If I had to put a numerical evaluation of the game I would say 7.5 - 8. I say that, qualifying it first by giving my score of the Witcher 2 as a basis. (8.5 - 9) so take that for what it's worth.

Before you pass judgment for the game, go out and try it for yourself...
  12. May 12, 2014
    Как жаль ,что такой отличной задумке и потенциалу игры не хватило денег. Обладая бы "Spiders" большим бюджетом BBF смогла бы переплюнуть и Witcher 2.Темная фэнтези с гнетущей атмосферой и потрясающей музыкой.В некоторых местах сложнее чем DS.Всем любителям RPG обязательно к ознакомлению.Самое главное начать и дальше игра вас не отпустит.
    Большое спасибо Spiders!
    10/10.
    Большое спасибо Spiders!
    10/10.
  13. May 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Firstly i will jsut say, ignore all the metacritic reviews etc, they are disgusting. So far i'm 2 hours into the game so this is not a full review but how i feel ont he game in short so far.

The story and lore so far seem to be pretty decent with a dragon age style lore book to read about all the chars etc making it pretty deep with understanding on each person or monster.

The graphics on ps4 are pretty dam good, ive not yet compaired them to PC but id be supprised if they were lower at all, there was sometimes a slight bit of FPS lagg in a few small areas like with lots of smoke etc, but maybe this can be patches or become less of an issue later on, but th egame runs really good so far.

Voice acting is actually pretty funny and good, its by no means super bad like people have said, i like the swearing randomy as it reminds me of much how english people speak in past and present.

The armour looks really cool and the crafting allows you to upgrade your e.g. chest with shoulders and belt and tassets to look cool and unique, same with weapons 3 upgrade slots on weps to customise theirs looks well.

Here is a video i made on my PS4 to show a bit of gameplay and gfx, 720 so not the in game 1080p and there are some story spoilers in the cutscene after the battle be warned -[...]

I would give the game on my first 2 hours 9/10 and worth buying.
  14. May 10, 2014
    In an industry that is anything but shy a few fantasy adventure/rpg games, its nice to see a developer still willing to do something different. While Bound by Flame is not anywhere near perfect, its a nice refreshing game offering new elements while still feeling like something familiar.
  15. May 11, 2014
    I am not a paid journalist, or a member of the programmers, but i can tell you, this is an awesome game.
    We have a very inspired and engaging storyline, and on the top of that, this is the first game after the Mass Effect trilogy, where you starting to care about your teammates. The game is quite challanging even on normal difficulty, so you need to fight with cool head, or you will die within seconds. I am satisfied with the enemy variations, you need different tactics to win against each type. Sometimes you meet some really evil combinations of them, and... you will die. And die again...

But i think, it is worth it. I like the graphics style, it is exacting, we have a good look overall, however you can see some glitches sometimes. I am very very impressed with the sound design. The voice acting is great. All of the sounds are good, and the game itself sounds very good. But the Music. Okay, it is very subjective, but we have some really great score here. Absolute professional, and very good, in my opinion. This music has so much tension within, and works very well in all combat, exploring, and cutscenes.

So i am very impressed with this game. The fights are quite challanging, the story is interesting, and the companions are a real individuals with great personalities, imo. The game has a great "feeling".

It has its fails compared to an AAA product, but hey, it is a 40 USD game, and it is worth it in every aspect. Its defenitley not for the boring COD fans. I like RPG's i played all the BG,IWD,NWN and DA games, and have to say it is a good and interesting RPG for the price, with nice replayability. It is at least one instant replay after you finished.
  16. May 13, 2014
    I will start by saying that I love this game a lot. I bought "Bound by Flame" Day 1 for my PS4 and started playing it. I loved the story it was a B-movie plot and had some great characters like B-movie's have. The music selection was Superb in all regards and the gameplay and RPG elements were very well done I thought.The Boss battles were executed perfectly. The only gripe I have is theI will start by saying that I love this game a lot. I bought "Bound by Flame" Day 1 for my PS4 and started playing it. I loved the story it was a B-movie plot and had some great characters like B-movie's have. The music selection was Superb in all regards and the gameplay and RPG elements were very well done I thought.The Boss battles were executed perfectly. The only gripe I have is the AI companions can be crap a lot of the time but sometimes they do alright they are best put into tank mode to take a beating while you kill enemies. I don't know why all the negative reviews I believe it's because it is definitely a hard game when put on normal or above. I beat the game on normal and it took me just shy of 17 hours to beat and I try to beat games quickly. I would recommend this game to anyone who enjoys RPG's that don't hold your hand in any way. Expand
  17. May 13, 2014
    This game just works for me. I really like it. The good things are much much much more, than the bad things. I think 8 is a fair valuation for this game.
  18. May 10, 2014
    Awesome for an action RPG. Typically I dislike the genre, because most games are too light on the RPG side. Here I found a quite in-depth RPG system, augmented by crafting. There are 3 paths available: warrior, rogue and mage. A combination of these is needed to fight through most encounters. Equipment can be upgraded, there are plenty of skills and traps to deal with enemies.

Enemies

Enemies are tough, so mastering the combat system results in satisfying fights

While the game does not have an open world, and the levels feel like console, I found that enemies and battles are pretty fun.
  19. May 12, 2014
    Before I begin I must say the critics score for this game is just ridiculous. 50 or even 20?! Really?! It's just sad, not that I ever trusted them much, but from now on I just don't care and will strongly recommend everyone to stop even reading ones like VideoGamer (and Hardcore Gamer Magazine gives it 40, when it gave 90 to DS 2 crappy PC version?!).
    First, let's look at the technical
    First, let's look at the technical side. What can I say - it's near perfect. The game runs very smoothly, no bugs, no fps drops, no nothing. And it looks gorgeous. Maybe not on Witcher 2 level, but come on, my PC couldn't handle Witcher 2 maximum graphics, yet it handles maximum of Bound by Flame with ease, so guess which looks better for me in the end. Many have already mentioned music, and I can only agree it's really good. Though I also like vocalization, don't know what it is others don't like about it.
    Gameplay. Well, it's classic ARPG, except fighting is really tough, tactical and makes you think instead of spamming right-click. It's not Dark Souls hard, but it is hard, and I like it much better than DS, because in this game you will actually become stronger and really FEEL it. In DS you can still die to any low-level mob anytime which I personally find frustrating. Also crafting - I thought it would be too complex after some trailers, but in reality it's not, it is very interesting, like a mini-game and helps you to create a very unique look and properties you need.
    Story-wise there are some flaws, but it is still interesting. You have plenty of unique companions and so far I can say (I'm in act 3) your choice matters. In fact it matters in such a way it can give you some unpredictable results, so be careful ;)
    All in all, very good game, first real RPG after so long (I don't really consider DS an RPG), not perfect, but I just must give it 10 to compensate for some biased reviews (yes, people, it's perfectly normal everyone keeps calling you Vulcan despite the name you put in yourself, it is explained that Vulcan is you NICKNAME, please pay attention before complaining).
  20. May 13, 2014
    Great atmosphere, diverse characters, interesting storyline with fun choices. Really smooth combat! It feels like Witcher 2 and Reckoning came together and had a baby. A bad ass baby, that knows how to have fun! It's not a perfect game, but for some reason I really like it. It's somewhat linear, but that has the positive effect of making the story told much tighter.
    I recommend anyone who
    I recommend anyone who likes fantasy RPGs to try it out. There is a lot of satire in the dialogues, so make sure you bring your sense of humor.
  21. May 12, 2014
    Bound of Flame is a mix of The Witcher, Dragon Age, Kingdom of Amalur.
    These low scores do not match Bound By Flame.
    The only problem with this game is coming at the wrong time. To go up against Dark Souls II is difficult. The graphics are very good as well as sound and music (dubbing a bit weak). The gameplay stands out for crafting system. The fights are cool too. We can not take
    Bound of Flame is a mix of The Witcher, Dragon Age, Kingdom of Amalur.
    These low scores do not match Bound By Flame.
    The graphics are very good as well as sound and music (dubbing a bit weak).
    The gameplay stands out for crafting system.
    The fights are cool too. We can not take the merits of the game by making comparison to the Kingdom of Amalur combat system, since the proposal of the game is much higher than that of Amalur.
  22. May 13, 2014
    Another user here that created an account just to counter the blasphemy "professional" reviewers are spewing on about this game. It may not be the biggest hit this year (and we all know their budget wasn´t that big either), but it certainly is a very good game that at times borders on brilliance.

First and foremost, the combat! It is my favorite combat system in the past few years, within the ARPG genre mind you (Im a 36 year old gamer, and have been since the Atari days. RPG´s are my thing).

Just like in the Souls series, what I find fascinating about the fighting is that it drives the gamer to adopt a truly balanced approach to each encounter, but in a very organic manner. It doesn´t feel like there´s an omniscient game developer forcing you into this playing way though; the balance is achieved from having to put equal effort into attacking as well as defending.

Motion captured (what seems like...) animations add to the system as they carry the flow of combat almost into choreographed territory. Counter parries, flurries, stabs and slashes, they all look realistic by human ability standards, which is also something I like a lot, even in a fantastical setting.

The story is typical fare in terms of fantasy. Yet that is exactly why I like it. No need to reinvent the wheel, just make it spin well. Honestly can´t see it being any worse than Skyrim´s or Dragon´s Dogma´s, and I´ll even go as far as saying that the story in Bound by Flame is by far more ambitious than what you´ll find in the aforementioned.

Just like I felt when playing the Witcher 2, I would love for the world to be a bit more open, if only for the sake of exploration, which is where I feel the game is lacking since you really cant do much of it. I´ll admit that after 10 hours I haven´t advanced into the second half of the game yet, but from what I can gather so far, levels have a clear linearity to them in a very fable-like way, offering very little in the way of alternate paths or secret areas.

Ive read elsewhere that later on the game opens up a bit more. We´ll have to wait (hope) and see.

Moving on to more of the typical stuff these reviews have to touch upon, the soundtrack is very good too. It is evident the music was meticulously written with each specific area of the game well understood, and it makes the gaming experience feel cohesive in ways only the Divinities and Gothics (all of them made by small european developers) of old managed to achieve... in my opinion at least. With this i am not suggesting these are the most significant soundtracks in the genre, but they were very good and had similar budgets behind them (in context of course).

Keeping up with the trend, I´ll say the graphics (at full detail) are also quite good. The art style is dark and gritty, and even when the subject matter it deals with could be deemed as generic, it manages to bring enough personality to stand on its own. Hate the cover though.

I play on a powerful gaming PC, so honestly the experience has been very trouble-free from a technical perspective. No bugs so far; something which many so called "triple A" developers can´t say about their products at launch, yet many manage to scratch a 9 or an 8.5 out of the top leading gaming sites on the net.

As a gamer, I am repulsed by the unfair bashing Bound by Flame is receiving. It is truly a very good game, and one that I am sure will build up a loyal, if not perhaps cult-like fan base (myself included) that will support this effort and defend it passionately....and I truly understand why; it has a charm that´s missing from many if not most of the games it competes with. A charm that can´t be produced by million dollar investments....an artists charm.

If you consider yourself a gamer who amidst the horde of review sites on the net, still has the ability to form his own opinion, then by all means do yourself a favor and check this game out. You might just find something that surprises and eventually stays with you even after the controller is put down. I give it an 8.5.
  23. May 17, 2014
    Just like other games by Spiders, if you can get past the chunkiness of the character movements you'll find a very detailed world and that give hours of nice entertainment. Gameplay is good and and story is very complex and interesting.
  24. May 17, 2014
    This game is far too underrated. Sure, it isn't perfect, but it is still better than some of the 'great RPGs' like Gothic 3 or Gothic 4. The soundtracks and sound effects are great, the gameplay has its flaws, but it is enjoyable. The story isn't that special, but it isn't dumb either. 9/10 for me.
  25. May 11, 2014
    That this game is getting mixed reviews is just a sign of how ridiculous, out of touch, bought-and-paid-for, and OLD the majority of video game reviewers are. This whole game is really solid, looks amazing even on lower end hardware, has good active combat, all the rpg elements you'd expect (including full voice acting)... the only problem with Bound By Flame is that it's too short!That this game is getting mixed reviews is just a sign of how ridiculous, out of touch, bought-and-paid-for, and OLD the majority of video game reviewers are. This whole game is really solid, looks amazing even on lower end hardware, has good active combat, all the rpg elements you'd expect (including full voice acting)... the only problem with Bound By Flame is that it's too short! Hopefully they'll create more installments / addons or whatever, I would play a sequel and then some. If you love RPGs (ie you don't -only- play the "AAA" titles that worst-company-in-america-2-years-in-a-row EA puts out), you will get your money's worth out of this title.

To put it more succinctly: just look at the review distribution. Critics: 2 positive, 14 mixed. Users: 120 positive, 16 mixed.
  26. May 18, 2014
    Is it really difficult to enter the twisted mind of professional reviewer. This time I really can't understand why they felt the need to bash such a nice and entertaining game. Bound by Flame is a nice, very nice action RPG that everyone should try.
  27. May 12, 2014
    juego infravalorado siendo este un muy buen juego, le faltan algunas cosillas pero aun así esta de diez. Me gustaría que tuviera éxito comercial para una secuela
  28. May 15, 2014
    It is not like the professional reviews are telling! Don't trust them!
    This game has a enormous potential, it's like a jewel in these days of poor games that show us only graphics and CG.
    It is not like the professional reviews are telling! Don't trust them!

Well... This game doesn't have a perfect graphic, but is good enough. It's light and works very smoothly on a simple GTX 660 Ti in the ultra settings with 45~60 FPS. I have a SLI GTX 670, but i've tried to run it with only one GTX 670 and works really well on ultra settings: 50~60 FPS.

The combat is better than The Witcher 2 and is very fun. You will never be tired of slashing your enemies.

The storyline is what really make this game awesome, thanks to dialogues options that has an impact in the relationship with your followers and your Captain, and, of course, the Demon inside you!

I think it's worthy for RPG lovers. This game is a great jewel and surprise me very much!
  29. May 20, 2014
    It's actually a very good game. Resources and gold isn't abundant so it requires some sensible management. Side quests are the most fun I have seen in an RPG. They are not boring or tedious. The combat system is probably the strongest selling point and the crafting is done quite well. Haven't finished playing yet but I can't seem to stop. And that's from someone who has been gaming forIt's actually a very good game. Resources and gold isn't abundant so it requires some sensible management. Side quests are the most fun I have seen in an RPG. They are not boring or tedious. The combat system is probably the strongest selling point and the crafting is done quite well. Haven't finished playing yet but I can't seem to stop. And that's from someone who has been gaming for years and easily gets bored by even so called triple A games. Don't know why it's got many negative reviews on other sites. I highly recommend. I created an account on metacritic just to let you guys know it's actually a very good game. Try it for yourself. Expand
  30. Jun 26, 2014
    I decided not to inflate the scores for games to compensate for lower scores. I just give them what I thibi they worth. This game is a solid 9. Dont underestimate it - it is a quality game, you could even mistake it for bioware game. Seriously.

See, you are a mercenary, hired to protect the group of mages performing a ritual, in the world being slowly consumed by the undead. Enjoy fully voiced dialogues and characters of each npc, member of your company and your hero. See, as a mercenary, you talk like one, behave like one and fight like one! You feel like a "sellblade" in this game. You feel right in the game from the moment you start playing. You can alsonplay as a female, and this adds another layer to your interaction with other characters.

Fights are glorious - you choose your stance, either tactical, powerful and on the slow side warrior - with two handed swords and axes, crushimg shields and interrupting attacks, or fast jumping in and out with crazy fast dagger attacks - choose what you like most! I advise playing the game at least twice to try these both distinct styles of play. You cN also augment your attacks with Pyromancy - think flaming weapons, fireballs and even summoning the fire spirit. Graphics are beautiful, brave devs even nailed the jungles - hardest environment to do in such games due to all the rendering on leaves and grass.

So, if you are looking for an RPG game, driven by a strong narrative, with the fast reactive combat, crafting and loads of weapons - look no further. This game builds on the foundation laid by Spiders previous RPG - Mars: War Logs(decent game, but overshadowed by this one). Great effort. 9/10.
  31. May 22, 2014
    Completed the game a couple nights ago. Overall a pretty good game, and definitely significantly better than most of the idiot "gaming media" and a lot of these idiots in here would have you believe. Don't listen to the nonsense. Try the game for yourself, with an open mind. I did, and I enjoyed it a lot as a result.
  32. Jun 7, 2014
    Very enjoyable game with nice graphics, a must see for rpg fans. To bad that the professional reviewers rate it so low, that may stop some people from even trying it. We need to support such rare rough diamonds or else we are doomed to play more and more simplified versions of the rpg genre.

Pros: Nice graphics Very smart and interesting dialogues Well worked and deep

Pros:

Nice graphics
    Very smart and interesting dialogues
    Well worked and deep characters(including your companions)
    Decent leveling system
    Good crafting system
    Fast, and at the same time deep and complex battle system that its not all about mashing keys
    A great variety of weapons armor etc
    Interesting quests that bounds well with the time and place of each area and with the main scenario
    Your char has to do with a number of moral decisions throwout the game
    Big booty ****

Cons:

Small variety of enemies
    Small variety of different environments
    Not possible to customize the gear of your companions
    The maps are a bit simple( and strictly quest oriented so the game looks a bit too linear some times(more or less like witcher 2 but better than dragon age 2).

Influenced by:

Witcher 2
    Mars war logs

End of line: Give it a change
  33. May 15, 2014
    I am playing this game and having a blast finding out what happens next.
    1. Dialog Choices for your character that MATTER and effect NPC interaction, Game development and outcome
    2. Great action RPG with crafting of weapons, mixing of ingredients for potions 3. NPC have depth as you get further in the game and interact with them 4. 50+ hours gameplay (I am playing "Captain"
    I am playing this game and having a blast finding out what happens next.
    2. Great action RPG with crafting of weapons, mixing of ingredients for potions
    3. NPC have depth as you get further in the game and interact with them
    4. 50+ hours gameplay (I am playing "Captain" difficulty, the hardest and it is DIFFICULT!!)
  34. Sep 12, 2014
    i´ll give this a 10 because of all the strange votings around here - somehow you have to keep the score balanced ..

however, i like this game. i even like it a lot. no - it is no AAA title. but the story is a lot better than most of the critics say. the gameplay is not polished, but hard and fun. frustrating sometimes, but always rewarding, when you finally master a difficult scene .. voice acting is ok - at least in english - the german one is horrible. however, i truly recommend this game. as i said - i give it a 10 to raise the score. in my opinion it is a clear 8/10
  35. May 16, 2014
    the game is overall is good and enjoyable but it always have annoying feeling that it could have been better . i hope they patch it soon to improve the AI or companion interaction .other than that the game is fun to play .the grapchic are very good really the game play is decent .overall its very fun game to play . its will be hard for her to be goty.. but agin who care .don't takethe game is overall is good and enjoyable but it always have annoying feeling that it could have been better . i hope they patch it soon to improve the AI or companion interaction .other than that the game is fun to play .the grapchic are very good really the game play is decent .overall its very fun game to play . its will be hard for her to be goty.. but agin who care .don't take reviewers seriously at all specially those who are from IGN. they would a recycled game like cod 9 or 10 ....but they gave games like bound by flame or outlast wistleblower dlc low score for being "repetitive" ..i guess they didnt get paid enough ...if u liked games like the witcher you will diffidently like this one Expand
  36. Jun 22, 2014
    This game is great, not good but great. The combat is challenging and fun. Enemies are varied and interesting. The story is good, and the graphics are pretty great other than the rare bug. The character development is a lot better than most reviews claim. The game does a really good job developing the main character and that's all that is all that really matters. It would be really boringThis game is great, not good but great. The combat is challenging and fun. Enemies are varied and interesting. The story is good, and the graphics are pretty great other than the rare bug. The character development is a lot better than most reviews claim. The game does a really good job developing the main character and that's all that is all that really matters. It would be really boring having to listen to your sidekicks life story.
    The voice acting in this game is great. Unfortunaetly some people criticize the voice acting as soon as they hear an acent even if it is done well. Other people critice voice acting immediatly just because they want to say something negative and blaming the voice actors is universal thing that they can always say is bad. So for the record the voice acting is great(lip sync is still bad), and everything is voiced so you don't ever need to read volumes of text.
    So people say that the game is overambitious but I say that it is important to be ambitious. If games where not ambitous then we would never get any good games. Overall I think the game is an 8.6/10 but I gave it a 10 to help balance the scales.
  37. Jul 12, 2014
    I really don't understand people who rate this game under 5, it's a solid 8 for me.
    I'm having more fun than I thought I would.
    The highlights being the dynamic combat feel and atmospheric music.
    Well done Spiders for a solid effort with a small development team.
    I look forward to bigger and better games to come.
  38. Sep 9, 2014
    I really don't understand why so many people didn't enjoy there play, because this game has everything a good game has to have. Maybe it is short, but for me as a hard core gamer it was a lot of fun to play this game. In my opinion it is good that not every game is like a AAA title or in this case like Skyrim, It would be boring if all games would be the same.
    In short this game is worth
    In short this game is worth the money and worth the time!
  39. Nov 2, 2014
    Giving this game a 10 to counteract the absolutely disgusting and absurd ratings from so called "professional" critics. How any self respecting reviewer can give this game a 2 out of 10 (see "VideoGamer") is mind boggling. After just completing my full playthrough (clocked at 16 hours on steam) I think this game is actually worthy of 7/10 and I can easily see myself doing another run toGiving this game a 10 to counteract the absolutely disgusting and absurd ratings from so called "professional" critics. How any self respecting reviewer can give this game a 2 out of 10 (see "VideoGamer") is mind boggling. After just completing my full playthrough (clocked at 16 hours on steam) I think this game is actually worthy of 7/10 and I can easily see myself doing another run to find how the other alignment or combat styles play out.

I'd like to confirm that I didn't get a single crash through this game and very few glitches that are even worth mentioning; I once dodged through a wall but didn't get stuck and it didn't impede my play, that's honestly all I can remember and it happened one time. This in stark contrast to games like Battlefield 4 and Rome 2 Total War, no doubt given 9 out of 10s from these idiot critics.

This game was clearly designed for a controller but you can play with mouse and keyboard and has rebindable keys. I personally used an xbox style controller for my first playthrough and there are definitely some annoyances in the button mappings, the A key especially on the controller gets used far too often for opening doors, sheathing your weapon, picking up loot and even breaking stealth. On the flip side the B and Y buttons are barely used aside from hotkeys in combat. The keyboard/mouse combo has less shared function keys so I will probably use this for my next playthrough.

I really don't understand why many are saying the voice acting and script writing are terrible; from these 2/10 professional imbecile reviewers I was expecting something on par with a terrible porn movie yet what I actually got was solid and often times humorous dialogue from unique sounding characters; it's such a breath of fresh air not to hear Steve Blum in a video game!

The story is cliche and nothing amazing but it's serviceable and got me emotionally engaged on a few occasions, certainly more than I could say for the utter snore fest that was Skyrim.

This game does seem to have a fascination with cut scenes, which can be very annoying especially if you're playing a stealth character that up till that point had remained undetected before suddenly being thrown into a cut scene and having your weapon switched out and stealth blown for no reason.

Combat can be frustrating at times, but after learning the quirks of the combat system and speccing my character properly I could go for long periods without dying but if you drop the ball you can be very quickly killed. The boss fights are the real annoyances but at the same time they force you to think up strategies on how you're going to handle them using all the tools and skills available to you. There is definitely room for improvement however as the combat can feel clunky. The ranger for example has a dodge ability but they will only dodge backwards meaning you can often get backed into a corner. It would have been nice to dodge around an enemy or when dodging backwards have the ability to go further back in a single dodge. Also the ultimate ability for the range was terrible and I very rarely used it; it takes far too long to cast, doesn't last long enough and is just underwhelming for an ultimate ability.

Another sticky point in the combat is the companions of which you can normally only have one. I think the game could have been significantly improved had they allowed 2 companions to cover your weaknesses. It doesn't help that the AI for your companions is about as intelligent as the moron that critic from "VideoGamer" that gave this game a 2/10; mage or archer characters for example will often just stand in a single spot getting repeatedly hit by melee attackers and none of the companions use their skills in an efficient manner, most of the time they will just spam the same skill over and over again despite the type of target they are fighting.

All in all I thought this was a solid yet ultimately deeply flawed 7/10 action RPG game that I would recommend to fans of the genre although if you are a call of duty addled imbecile you may want to give it a pass.

1. Jul 25, 2014
    There is potential in Bound by Flame but I can’t review this game without using some harsh words. It’s linear and clichéd, combat should be better and many elements could be more complex. Still I believe that with more money, people and time Spiders would be able to play in the major league. [07/2014, p.54]
  2. Jun 12, 2014
    French indie developer tries to engage adult audience with this RPG. Too bad the world is generic and script is dull as a wooden blade. If you show a few tits and curse like a sailor, that don't translate to a game for adults. On top of that the game mechanics are dull and repetitive. You don't challenge Witcher with this kind of setup. [June 2014]
  3. Jun 7, 2014
    Ugly, stupid and riddled with cliche, Bound by Flame has car crash fascination but little else to recommend it. [Issue#249, p.62]