8.7

1. Sep 13, 2011
    If you don't love the amazing artwork, the brilliant soundtrack, the ingenious puzzles, the emotionally destroying story and how much care it's been crafted with, you have a heart made of cold granite.
  2. Nov 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. How does this get so much praise?

This game overall is so laughably bad that I'm ashamed that it got a 90. The design is so bad it rivals Bubsy 3D. The concept of rewinding time is ruined by un-rewindable objects, and you never really truly need it unless you die. Yes there is a good puzzle in world 3, but that's it. MOST OVERRATED INDIE GAME OF ALL TIME.
  3. Mar 26, 2013
    This game has a beautiful atmosphere and story. It really does. Unfortunately, I simply did not enjoy working my way through the various puzzles. I just found them to be so unbelievably tedious, and only managed to put about 2 hours into this before deciding to move on to games that I actually like playing.
  4. May 31, 2012
    Overrated. Wait, before you disagree, just hear me out. This is a good game. A great game, actually. The gameplay is smooth, the artstyle is brilliant and the character design is interesting. The puzzles are each unique and fun to figure out. The story is, well, its there, somewhere. My only real problem with Braid is the fact that the creator deliberately made the game without anyOverrated. Wait, before you disagree, just hear me out. This is a good game. A great game, actually. The gameplay is smooth, the artstyle is brilliant and the character design is interesting. The puzzles are each unique and fun to figure out. The story is, well, its there, somewhere. My only real problem with Braid is the fact that the creator deliberately made the game without any discernible story. The creator himself has stated that their is more than one interpretation of the story and that he "would not be capable" of explaining it. So, the game has no story. It's just a bucketful of theories and ideas. But, don't give up on it, the game does have moral lessons embedded within the gameplay and "story". The most obvious theme is that the past cannot be reversed. What's done is done. While the story is different than normal games, and can turn many people away due to its vague nature, it's still interesting and a fresh take on both platformers and modern story-driven games. In my opinion, Braid shines due to its artistic aspect. The backgrounds in this game are amazing. Everything is, or at least seems to be, painted by hand. If not by hand, then in a "painterly" style, as the summary states. The character designs are simple, but very different and interesting when compared to other modern platformers. In conclusion, I would say that Braid is a unique game with a very vague, poignant and atypical story that will evoke a different theory from every individual that plays. While not a bad thing, it does not follow the traditional building blocks or plot outline that most games go by, and this can make it an unenjoyable experience for some. I give Braid a 7.5/10. Mostly because of how short the game is. Expand
  5. Oct 9, 2014
    So apparently if you're a normal human being, you'll rate this game 10/10. I can't for the life of me figure out why. The puzzles are alright, but the story is pretentious and uninteresting.
  6. Mar 30, 2011
    Braid is nice platform game, old school simple yet avantgarde in the way it blends art, gameplay and FUN.

I think it has been a bit hipped and some have been taken in by the " oh its art i don't have to explain it" It does have some drawbacks as it is not a long enough game yet it already starts to feel repetitive at the end. graphics may confuse you a bit, the combination of apparently bland sprites with breathtaking animations and environments, but you kinda forgive the game for the sprites as this does seem to have been a conceptually delivered choice, and the technical and artistic process are well ratified throughout the rest of the game.
  7. Aug 28, 2013
    Braid is a puzzle game with a classical soundtrack and a van gogh like art direction that makes for a very sublime melancholy experience.

This may lead you to think Braid is designed for the casual non-gamer market, but don't let it's initial impressions fool you for beneath is a series of devilishly constructed brainteasing contraptions that will have even the most experienced of problem solvers doing a double-take.

The unique twist of Braid is the puzzles are based around time-travel or in this case time-reversal. Which means there is no fear of death or level restarts. Make a mistake? No problem, just reverse time for as long as you need and correct it. You'd think this might make the puzzles easy, but in fact it screws with your normal way of thinking and actually makes the puzzles more challenging.

Its probably safe to say you've never experienced any puzzle solving like this before and you probably will never again. Creative, ingenious, satisfying, and one-of-a-kind. A must try. 9/10

P.S. The puzzles might not require a walk through to complete, but the storyline sure did. In the end that might be Braid's biggest puzzle of them all. Good luck solving that one.
  8. Feb 23, 2013
    A very simple game, but really challenging.

The game has strong inspirations on the Mario games, especially on the environment and gameplay, and also on Prince of Persia Sands of Time because you can use the ability to go back in time as much as you want. At first it may seem simple, but a bunch of times you'll see yourself stopping a bit to think on a strategy to get one of the many
    A very simple game, but really challenging.

At first it may seem simple, but a bunch of times you'll see yourself stopping a bit to think on a strategy to get one of the many puzzle pieces spread all over the game.
    Definitely it's not a game for the weak, but it is really rewarding when you manage to overcome the proposed challenges.
  9. Nov 13, 2012
    To review this game, I had to read other user reviews done on this site. And to be honest, I realized something: every person who gave this game a negative or even mixed review is just not getting the concept of the game or too simple to solve it's puzzles. But let me talk about the game itself. The graphics are real simple yet so beautiful. It really is a soothing game to look at. As forTo review this game, I had to read other user reviews done on this site. And to be honest, I realized something: every person who gave this game a negative or even mixed review is just not getting the concept of the game or too simple to solve it's puzzles. But let me talk about the game itself. The graphics are real simple yet so beautiful. It really is a soothing game to look at. As for the music, it makes me feel lost in the game. Famous developers now a days don't concentrate on music and forget that music is part of the whole experience (Not all though, Music in Skyrim is awesome). The music in Braid just makes me feel like I'm in a different plain all together. Honestly, even if the gameplay was crap I'd still give it a 9 just because of the music (sorry for the exaggeration). But, fortunately, the gameplay is anything BUT crap. I found some people referring to it as a Super Mario clone. That is just WRONG. Some other people say that the game lacks fun. Have fun playing Call Of Duty because this game is not for simpletons like you. I had immense fun playing this game and challenging my brain. And I will be honest. THIS GAME IS HARD. I found myself pounding my head and screaming at the screen at some points of the game where the puzzles get so crazy. But did that ever make me quit? Never. I didn't quit any Point and Click adventure in my life so I am not quiting this. The gameplay is mostly platforming and jumping on enemies. Then it introduces Time Manipulation in a brilliant way. And every world has a theme to it, like one world is all about rewinding time, the other is about stopping and forwarding...etc. The game is beautiful to say the least. As for the story, it feels more or less like a poem. It was MEANT to be misleading and hard to get. Although I still don't fully grasp the story, It still is an interesting one. But If I wanted to rate a story I would review a Point And Click adventure not Braid. Did Limbo have an amazing story? Exactly. I gave this game a 10 because it deserves it. And it is not over-rated at all. This game deserves the support of everyone and to rate it lower than a 9 is saying that you are a Call Of Duty fan. Which means: Don't rate our games you gamer wanna-bes. Collapse Expand
  10. AWG
    Jul 7, 2013
    Braid is a good game but it's not the greatest game. Yes, the concept is innovative and yes, graphics are cute but that's all. GOAT game? Nah. Poetry? Nah. More like "Your Average Indie Platform Game".
  11. May 2, 2014
    Braid is a simple puzzle platformer, or at least at the first glance. Gameplay is incredibly smooth and well done along with all the time tricks you get to experience throug the levels. You'll love the relaxing "classical" music and overall soft and chill appeal in whole design.
    The trick is the first glance of simplicity wears off quite fast and you are going to get stuck. Often. Braid is by far the hardest puzzle game I've ever played. This is truly going to test how patient and clever you are. You are going to be frustrated at times, but at the same time each puzzle is going to give you a great feeling of accomplishment if you are patient enough to solve it on your own. None of the puzzles are dumb or repetitive and each brings a new pattern to uncover and understand.
    About the story - I must say I enjoyed the sentimental style and slow uncovering of it, but most of the time I was quite confused and had no idea what it was all about. Well, I definitely experienced better storytelling in games, but this game won my gaming soul just by its crisp gameplay.
  12. Sep 7, 2013
    Puzzle platformers tend to be platform games with a few easy puzzles. Braid is a puzzle games with some easy platform elements. The puzzle mechanic is one of the most innovative I have seen. It involves time manipulation and challenges you to think in new ways to predict the consequences of manipulating time in various ways and use this ability to achieve your goals. It starts out easy andPuzzle platformers tend to be platform games with a few easy puzzles. Braid is a puzzle games with some easy platform elements. The puzzle mechanic is one of the most innovative I have seen. It involves time manipulation and challenges you to think in new ways to predict the consequences of manipulating time in various ways and use this ability to achieve your goals. It starts out easy and the difficulty ramps up at a good pace. Towards the end the game is challenging even for experienced puzzle solvers. The game is also non-linear in that you don't need to solve everything in one part of the game to progress to later parts, if you get stuck on a puzzle you can go somewhere else and come back to tackle that puzzle later.

The game has an artistic style that feels completely natural and fits well with the unique style of the gameplay. Graphics and sound contribute further to make the game atmospheric. The story is told in various ways, including texts you can read at the start of each level but also, in a way, through the pictures that you need to assemble to complete a level.

All in all this is the best puzzle platformer I have played (unless you count Portal as a 3D puzzle platformer) and highly recommended to anyone who likes puzzle games.
  13. Nov 20, 2013
    ‘Such an anti-climax.’

‘Such an anti-climax.’

I purchased this game having gotten somewhat tired of the same old games I have been playing of late. Looking forward to a game that has achieved such formidable critical acclaim and what can only be described as one of the greatest, most innovative indie games to have surfaced in recent years. All I can say is what a huge disappointment this was and I would quite simply like to have my money back. Don't get me wrong, I loved the concept of time manipulation included in the game as a core mechanic... It mightn’t be the most original of concepts but still it was a nice core mechanic to fool around and play with. As I eagerly encompassed my very first (and last) play through I quickly became mesmerised by the stunning visuals and the painterly stylistic design. Its touching (if not a little clichéd and pretentious) plot leaves much to be desired but is thankfully saved by its storytelling execution as it slowly unfolds and is told in such a captivating and beautiful manner. What I did take away from Braid that will undoubtedly leave its mark is of course its enchanting score. This however for me didn't save it from the puzzle based platforming tediousness and repetitiveness that soon followed and engulfed my enjoyable (at first) play through. For me the monotonous challenge invoked in this game soon lead to frustration which in turn created an unwillingness and lack of desire to continue and carry on with my progress. Who would have guessed trial and error could cause such anguish and misery. It is a wonderful accomplishment in some respects and I applaud the game’s developer for what he has created, but to blindly call this overhyped and incredibly overrated game a masterpiece is to insult the many other praiseworthy indie titles out there.
  14. Aug 24, 2010
    Most of this score is dedicated to how thoughtful the game's 'plot' was, but how unobtrusive that plot was for those that just wanted the gameplay. It's guaranteed to make you think, and while the last level is a bit ambiguous in how it works, it is still a genius twist that really questions the heroics of every game character out there.
    The puzzles are absolutely genius, must've taken so
    The puzzles are absolutely genius, must've taken so long to come up with, but they provide you with much head-scratching, and a cheeky grin once you've solved them. If you can't, you might eventually feel like beating someone, since the last level requires you beat every puzzle, but if you're anything like me you'll just use an FAQ if something eludes you for so long it frustrates you. An in-game guide wouldn't have gone amiss really.
    But this game is still exceedingly clever, and very satisfying to play as long as you can work out the puzzles fairly competently, thus I dub it 'Best Indie Game Evar'.
    Oh, and I'd give it a 9.5 except I can't and I didn't think 9 was ample justice, so I rounded it up to 10 :).
  15. Mar 5, 2011
    What is Braid? Braid is well-crafted platformer, which uses a time-manipulating system on which puzzle-solving is based. It also has great music and graphical content, as well as amazing storyline, both inspiring and a food for thought. For me, game was a little bit hard on some of it's parts, but I have to say, even if you are not a fan of this genre (I'm an RPG-player, mostly), youWhat is Braid? Braid is well-crafted platformer, which uses a time-manipulating system on which puzzle-solving is based. It also has great music and graphical content, as well as amazing storyline, both inspiring and a food for thought. For me, game was a little bit hard on some of it's parts, but I have to say, even if you are not a fan of this genre (I'm an RPG-player, mostly), you should try Braid at least for it's story, well-done 2D drawings and music. Expand
  16. Sep 24, 2010
    A great game, plays without a single flaw. Why give it 9 then? Well it has not got a great story, and can get a bit confusing on your first play through. It has great replay value, takes away all of the annoying niggles that are present in a lot of platformers and is practically just pure fun!
  17. Dec 15, 2010
    What these guys aren't telling you is the controls are non customizable (you NEED a 3rd party app to use a controller or to change buttons). The graphics, while stylized and a neat direction, end up washed out and blurry, and the platforming is as generic as the story. Yes there is a "twist" to it, but if you played Prince of Persia, you won't be seeing anything new.

The music is good,

The music is good, the controls tight, the game itself is decent, but this is not the second coming of platformers everyone is making it out to be. It is a generic indie game that reached circlejerk overhyped status; this is not a bad game or a great one, it is an average platformer.
  18. Feb 22, 2013
    If you don't know about this game you should. It isn't really even a game you should write a review of it should be mandatory to play this to call yourself a gamer. Braid is one of the touchstones of contemporary gaming and it is a perfect example of the immense amount of innovation games are capable of.

Now that is in reference to the game play and mechanics. The story and characters leave a lot to be asked for. While neither are big enough issues to take away from the general fun of the game the story reads like an one-star-highschool-emo-fantasy-novella (poorly) translated from german. The characters look exactly like what they are an overlooked element of the game.

Music and backgrounds are beautiful. But they are sorely undeserved by the sprites.
  19. Jan 1, 2012
    This game is perfect. There is not a single thing I can complain about. The story is amazing and creative. In the same manner as Inception and Donnie Darko it really makes you think and leaves a lot of details to your mind. However; I'm positive that more than 50% of the people who play this game will miss the story totally which is sad seeing it is the best story, by far, delivered by aThis game is perfect. There is not a single thing I can complain about. The story is amazing and creative. In the same manner as Inception and Donnie Darko it really makes you think and leaves a lot of details to your mind. However; I'm positive that more than 50% of the people who play this game will miss the story totally which is sad seeing it is the best story, by far, delivered by a game to this date in gaming history. Some people compare this game to Portal, this is however a very bad comparison. This game is way more. Portal was a fresh game but it was not a masterpiece in the sense Braid is. Portal will be remembered as creative and witty. This game will be remebered as so much more with amazing music, graphics, gameplay mechanics AND story. The game can be too hard for a lot of people seeing it requires A LOT of abstract thinking, problem solving and independent mind. This is because the gameplay depends on your mind and the story depends so much on your imagination. Even more so in the later levels of the game. This game can also be very hard at first try because it gives very little information to the player to why the player should solve all these amazing puzzles. And for someone like me who really wants to be "paid" for doing work in a game it was really hard getting the motivation. However I was so wrong. This game rewards the player so much when he finishes the game by revealing story parts and things that have been so apparent all the way but so well hidden. Thanks Jonathan Blow for making the most amazing game ever made. Expand
  20. Nov 8, 2010
    The art style of this game is incredible. The music is great and neatly rewinds and fast forwards along with your time controls. Some of the puzzles in this game are CONFUSING! Which I think is a good thing, after sitting there for 10 minutes and you finally figure one out you'll have a "son of a **** moment but it should be worth a good giggle. I only gave it a 9 because the game is aThe art style of this game is incredible. The music is great and neatly rewinds and fast forwards along with your time controls. Some of the puzzles in this game are CONFUSING! Which I think is a good thing, after sitting there for 10 minutes and you finally figure one out you'll have a "son of a **** moment but it should be worth a good giggle. I only gave it a 9 because the game is a little short even with the speed trials you can unlock when you complete the game. Expand
  21. Nov 8, 2011
    An inventive & unique action puzzle game (controller/gamepad HIGHLY recommended) that revolves around the manipulation of time to solve various puzzles, with an interesting & thought provoking storyline that has hidden dark layers & undertones beneath the colorful semi-cartoony graphics. Progressing through the game & solving the variety of diverse puzzles is certainly brain-teasing, &An inventive & unique action puzzle game (controller/gamepad HIGHLY recommended) that revolves around the manipulation of time to solve various puzzles, with an interesting & thought provoking storyline that has hidden dark layers & undertones beneath the colorful semi-cartoony graphics. Progressing through the game & solving the variety of diverse puzzles is certainly brain-teasing, & while some may leave you totally stumped at times, Braid is the type of game where as you are running around experimenting the answer will hit you all of a sudden & keeps you coming back for more. You can't exactly "die" in Braid, but don't let that fool you into thinking this game is somehow lacking in difficulty. It's definitely quite challenging & just when you think you have solved it all there are secrets hidden throughout the game. While the game is not that long the experience will certainly leave its mark upon you. Thanks to Braid I now pay a lot more attention to indie games because there are some real gems out there. Can't wait for a sequel!! Expand
  22. Dec 1, 2011
    Unique and interesting puzzle platformer. Six worlds, each offering a new challenge. Some of the puzzles are actually pretty difficult and can take a frustrating toll on your patience or more likely a trip to You Tube to figure them out. There is a story...kind of...but not really--I didn't really follow it. Overall, the game was enjoyable because it offered something different than theUnique and interesting puzzle platformer. Six worlds, each offering a new challenge. Some of the puzzles are actually pretty difficult and can take a frustrating toll on your patience or more likely a trip to You Tube to figure them out. There is a story...kind of...but not really--I didn't really follow it. Overall, the game was enjoyable because it offered something different than the norm, but it is pretty short. Expand
  23. Dec 22, 2010
    Challenging, fun and a beautiful few hours of game play. For the price it is a game everyone should play. It could be longer, but it is only a cheap indie game and a stunning one at that.
  24. Mar 31, 2011
    I usually hate puzzle games like this, but for a while it was pretty intriguing. The time mechanic keeps changing enough to keep up, and the boss fights are definitely fun. I guess I'm just not cut out for puzzles, since I just look up all of them in other games because I don't care about solving them.
  25. Jan 11, 2011
    Braid is Super Mario Brothers out for a bender and high on a hefty dose of Acid. The Acid trip starts slowly; the first few levels are quite normal and conform to the basic platform idea. Then some weirdness starts to sneak up on youâ
  26. Jan 22, 2011
    Braid is like getting a beautiful present, and opening it to realize youâ
  27. Jan 29, 2011
    A great challenging game with equally great graphics & soundtrack. It was so good I bought it for two of my friends. And at a reasonably price, I can't see no one complaining.
  28. Apr 29, 2011
    Good and original mechanics, awesome art style, good music, challenging (but not impossible) puzles, nice story with a surprising ending. One of the best, if not the best, indie game I've ever played. It's not a superproduction but it's what a video game should be. In this age of clones of remakes of copies, originality and imagination is not dead yet thanks to games like this one.
  29. Apr 10, 2011
    Braid is an ingenious little puzzle/platformer, its core element is time manipulation in which each chapter has its own unique twist. The flow of the game is balanced, though sometimes depending on your platforming skills it can become a bit of a trial and error challenge, which may be tedious. The plot is a bit vague and confusing at first but the outcome is simply brilliant and wellBraid is an ingenious little puzzle/platformer, its core element is time manipulation in which each chapter has its own unique twist. The flow of the game is balanced, though sometimes depending on your platforming skills it can become a bit of a trial and error challenge, which may be tedious. The plot is a bit vague and confusing at first but the outcome is simply brilliant and well executed, exploiting the capabilities of the medium it's in. The visuals are aesthetically pleasing and the soundtrack is glorious. With roughly 10 hours of gameplay, its unique puzzles and mind-blowing epilogue, Braid is a must play. Expand
  30. Mar 14, 2011
    Braid is yet another fine game I have played. I love the character design, the sytle, the story, the gameplay, the level design, and most of all the reversing feature. That feature became the most innovative feature on a platformer in my opinion.
  31. Aug 2, 2011
    Braid is such a cleverly designed game. The rewarding feeling of solving the puzzles is comparable, if not greater than the portal series. The different themes of power in each world makes it so that a specific power doesn't get overused. I loved the songs "Downstream", "Lullaby" and "Romanesca" which I still listen to after finishing the game. My complaints are that the game controls menuBraid is such a cleverly designed game. The rewarding feeling of solving the puzzles is comparable, if not greater than the portal series. The different themes of power in each world makes it so that a specific power doesn't get overused. I loved the songs "Downstream", "Lullaby" and "Romanesca" which I still listen to after finishing the game. My complaints are that the game controls menu or "How to play" menu doesn't tell you how to speed the rate of rewinding time, which made one of the puzzles impossible to do without finding that out first. Secondly, to get the "proper" ending, you are supposed to collect 8 stars. The first star takes almost 2 hours of waiting around doing nothing, which is pretty tedious and the second star requires you to not complete world 3, which would have been good to know. I think the game should have had arrows pointing to the star in the rooms that contained them, as I find it hard to believe that people don't use guides to find them. Finally, the story ends by throwing loads of text at you, which left me feeling cold. That said, this was my first indie game and I loved it. Expand
  32. May 22, 2011
    right this game is WEIRD. I see the resemblance to mario,, and while it has soothing music the whole "forgiveness...princess...non-manipulable" rubbish wehre it tries to be deep, is preposterous, annoying, silly, and stupid. The character looks EXTREMELY odd, his skull is 1/3 the size of his body. That's not a problem, just odd. The trying to be deep and philosophical part was rubbish andright this game is WEIRD. I see the resemblance to mario,, and while it has soothing music the whole "forgiveness...princess...non-manipulable" rubbish wehre it tries to be deep, is preposterous, annoying, silly, and stupid. The character looks EXTREMELY odd, his skull is 1/3 the size of his body. That's not a problem, just odd. The trying to be deep and philosophical part was rubbish and quite annoying. Played a few levels for like 20 minutes. I'll remember to always check the demo on games as I most likely won't be wasting my time with this odd game. HOW this got 10/10 on eurogamer I HAVE ZERO idea. people are probably idiotic stoners or into pseudo-philosphical games. The weirdness I don't mind. It just isn't something really fancy tha tmuch. couldn't get into ti. maybe the days of me playing the rubbish "save the princess" games are over.
    All I could think about was how BAD of a case of One-itis this programmer probably had for some chick that dumped him or that he got dumped by! The whole intro of the game wreaked of "forgiveness and getting back some princess and manipuable blah blah" the main character even looks like a chump. Blegh. Didn't like this much at all.
    One thing I noticed and really would like to remedy is it's CHALLENGING for me buy games I actually really want to play (like portal 2 and assass 2 have been on my top wishlist for AGES). Granted they're more expensive, but it's useless to me to waste money on crap titles like this. I may revisit this game later but highly doubt ever getting into it because it wreaks of some programmer getting dumped and then making an entire mopy game out of it! WTF!! How eurogamer gave this piece of slinky odd crap a 10???!!I have no idea. My respect for eurogamer plummetted upon hearing that. If you're into the extremely odd graphics, zen-elevator-muzak, and a game coded by some programmer who obviously had serious one-itis, well, then buy this game! If those aren't your preferences (and they aren't mine), then don't. I think I'm also realizing that if I put time into playing and beating a game these days I want to be a REALLY quality top-notch game, a to-be-classic game (portal series DEF falls in that category) and bioshock 1 did as well, assass sort of did. Anyways cheers.
  33. Apr 20, 2011
    This game looks like an impressionist painting. You get to warp time in various ways to collect puzzle pieces and find your lost princess. I played through it in under 6 hours with a couple hints on how to collect certain pieces. There are 6 worlds, each with its own method of controlling time. I don't intend to play it again, but it's worth checking out especially if you can get itThis game looks like an impressionist painting. You get to warp time in various ways to collect puzzle pieces and find your lost princess. I played through it in under 6 hours with a couple hints on how to collect certain pieces. There are 6 worlds, each with its own method of controlling time. I don't intend to play it again, but it's worth checking out especially if you can get it for $5 like I did. If you get the steam version there are achievements you can collect for playing through the game plus one more for playing through it again more quickly. Expand
  34. Jan 31, 2012
    You can be an innovative creator, have an original idea and good level design but it doesn't make your game accessible and fun for many people. That's a shame.... but entry barrier is too high for such a regular user as me. I've played it for a few hours and drowned in frustration... I could think about it more, I could watch the answer on the web but the difficulty level isn't theYou can be an innovative creator, have an original idea and good level design but it doesn't make your game accessible and fun for many people. That's a shame.... but entry barrier is too high for such a regular user as me. I've played it for a few hours and drowned in frustration... I could think about it more, I could watch the answer on the web but the difficulty level isn't the problem. It's the lack of motivation that prevents me from pursuing it... Expand
  35. May 26, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fresh, unique, puzzle game; one of the few things that have perished since Tetris. But not for Braid. The mechanic of time-warping is very perplexing, and the use of it will change the thinking methods of players as each level progresses. Highly recommended for players who have yet to discover a good indie puzzle game. Expand
  36. Dec 27, 2011
    Braid (PC/Xbox360) Brief Review! (A-)

Braid (PC/Xbox360) Brief Review! (A-)

Braid is a game that appears to be a Mario style platformer. The art/depth/challenge factor of this game is extremely high, so it's like Mario for geniuses. One of the most challenging games I've ever played with a very interesting visual style and backstory, Braid is a relatively short but intense affair that will keep you playing until you solve it or want to toss your machine out the window. The main gameplay gimmick involves your ability to manipulate time, and this mechanic is used throughout the game to solve its puzzles. The impressionist art style, the highly debated story, and the incredibly soundtrack add a lot of extras. There are challenge modes and "hidden stars" for those who enjoy pain and punishment and want to get replayability. Game costs about $10 and is available on the 360 or on the PC Via Steam. Well worth it.

Here's the 1UP Review on the 360 version.

37. Jul 11, 2011
    Such a breathtaking and beautiful game. It is truly a work of art. The music and the graphics were stunning and genuinely emotive. Amazing to play and I loved it. I would really like to know what Jonathan Blow was trying to convey with the paintings and what the character was truly seeking/running from. Part of me wonders if it might be something sinister from childhood, judging by theSuch a breathtaking and beautiful game. It is truly a work of art. The music and the graphics were stunning and genuinely emotive. Amazing to play and I loved it. I would really like to know what Jonathan Blow was trying to convey with the paintings and what the character was truly seeking/running from. Part of me wonders if it might be something sinister from childhood, judging by the subject of the paintings. Expand
  38. Aug 17, 2011
    Very good Indie game. Graphics, sound, music, controls and story are all well made. Maybe a little over-hyped but definitely good game. And even though it's short, it's also cheap, wich is good since that's not the kind of game I want to play for too long as it can get boring after a while. So I think game lenght is also made right. The game ends before getting tedious. The timeVery good Indie game. Graphics, sound, music, controls and story are all well made. Maybe a little over-hyped but definitely good game. And even though it's short, it's also cheap, wich is good since that's not the kind of game I want to play for too long as it can get boring after a while. So I think game lenght is also made right. The game ends before getting tedious. The time manipulation feature is part of the game mechanic and essential to solve puzzles. There's nothing to compare to the "error correcting" time-rewind from Prince of Persia. And there's nothing that reminded me of any other game (Mario?... Donkey Kong?... had to be someone that don't actually play games to say something like that).

Worth playing.
  39. Aug 4, 2011
    Amazing, amazing game!
    One of those you just need to play, and not read about :)
    Try it! It's not your usual side-scroller! ;)
  40. Dec 27, 2011
    Braid is a puzzle, not a game, and I admit I am not good at puzzles. In fact, if they are too intricate, I will have trouble solving them. Braid is one of those complex puzzles. It started out fun and intriguing, but soon, I lost patience as the puzzles became more unreasonable. The platforming is minimal and only actually found in the last five minutes of the experience. In Braid, youBraid is a puzzle, not a game, and I admit I am not good at puzzles. In fact, if they are too intricate, I will have trouble solving them. Braid is one of those complex puzzles. It started out fun and intriguing, but soon, I lost patience as the puzzles became more unreasonable. The platforming is minimal and only actually found in the last five minutes of the experience. In Braid, you will be able to rewind and fast forward time in order to engineer your way through platforms, locks, and barriers. This appealing mechanic is used in a novel manner, and is implemented elaborately. The artwork is colorful and vivid, providing the player with a well developed background. Even if one does not enjoy the genre of music used in the soundtrack, the songs are fitting of the setting. Braid's plot is mildly interesting, even though it doesn't make much sense, nor does it provide much detail. You must appreciate and love puzzles in order to proceed and enjoy Braid thoroughly. I found the majority of the puzzles too complicated and impossible to solve without help. The overall experience is convoluted, jumbled, pretentious, and frustratingly complicated. This is a series of puzzles for puzzle lovers only. Even though the atmosphere of the puzzles along with their storyline are done well, it leaves me with an ultimate feeling of incoherence in the end. It's not that the puzzles are illogical, it's that they are overly complicated without needing to be. The process of solving these puzzles is not enjoyable nor satisfactory, and the ending is nearly pointless, being more of a continuation of loose fragments thrown together for no real reason. Braid is also very short and offers zero replay value. If you absolutely love puzzles or puzzles in games, give Braid a try. You might find it tolerable or even enjoy it. Personally, I feel that it is massively overrated and trite. Braid is about absolutely nothing at all. Its only purpose is to be self-important and pompous. Expand
  41. Aug 31, 2011
  42. Sep 16, 2011
    Definitely a great game, it has a deeper meaning and the art and music are extremely well done, it has a nice combination of puzzle, platform and adventure, but the fact is that the game play itself gets boring at some point. Once you're done with world 3, which is the 2nd world as you start in world 2, it gets quite boring and repetitive. The puzzling outside the main play is a very niceDefinitely a great game, it has a deeper meaning and the art and music are extremely well done, it has a nice combination of puzzle, platform and adventure, but the fact is that the game play itself gets boring at some point. Once you're done with world 3, which is the 2nd world as you start in world 2, it gets quite boring and repetitive. The puzzling outside the main play is a very nice touch and a much more fun way to tell the story as most people don't have the patience to read everything, even though it's fairly essential for the game. It has a lot of ups and downs, there were certain levels I did enjoy and once I didn't, it is a very innovative game and I have enjoyed playing it a lot, in the beginning. If you like puzzling and Mario, you might want to give this a try. Expand
  43. Jan 20, 2014
    I can't beleive it, I paid U$ 1,90 for one of the best games I have ever played in my life. If you like that limbo puzzle + platform style, this game is going to blow your mind.

After completing it (it took me 5 hours without looking at any walkthroughs), you can keep playing searching for alternate endings, getting stars and doing it faster on time trial mode. I just loved it. What

I just loved it. What a beautiful piece of work.
  44. Oct 31, 2011
    This game is not a particularly amazing game in-and-of itself, but it's beauty is in what it does FOR games as an industry and for the people who play it. This game is filled with all sorts of interesting concepts and magical moments of inspired solutions. While pretty short, each moment of triumph is immensely satisfying. Definitely play this game; it's totally worth it. And do yourself aThis game is not a particularly amazing game in-and-of itself, but it's beauty is in what it does FOR games as an industry and for the people who play it. This game is filled with all sorts of interesting concepts and magical moments of inspired solutions. While pretty short, each moment of triumph is immensely satisfying. Definitely play this game; it's totally worth it. And do yourself a favor: don't be quick to youtube the answers. Solving it for yourself is the whole point of the game and you will definitely not enjoy it if you miss out on that. Expand
  45. Oct 17, 2013
    Intelligent, clever, beautiful and a really honest game the like of which is rarely seen. Takes old school 2D platformers to the level of art with its amazingly balanced gameplay and world of secrets it shows only to the most dedicated player.
  46. Nov 21, 2011
    I feel like I put pocket change in a slot at the fair and unexpectedly had my mind blown, spending as much time trying to figure the game out after I beat it as I did while playing it. That's Braid, it's intellectual, poetic and problem-solving stimulation for pocket change. It starts as a fascinating yet mysterious puzzle solving game that finishes as emotionally moving, as well as aI feel like I put pocket change in a slot at the fair and unexpectedly had my mind blown, spending as much time trying to figure the game out after I beat it as I did while playing it. That's Braid, it's intellectual, poetic and problem-solving stimulation for pocket change. It starts as a fascinating yet mysterious puzzle solving game that finishes as emotionally moving, as well as a fairly grand metaphor for something which I wouldn't dare spoil for you. Believe the high rating, Braid is what happens when good poetry and a puzzle solving game are joined at the hip. Expand
  47. Jan 17, 2012
    If you like puzzle games, bright and simple, but with a twist "strange", this is it. It has a very good visual appeal, some of the most difficult puzzles and interesting. With a striking and unusual history, different branches throughout the game. This is one of the few games that handles well the mechanics of the powers of time in an effective and fun. It's a great game, includingIf you like puzzle games, bright and simple, but with a twist "strange", this is it. It has a very good visual appeal, some of the most difficult puzzles and interesting. With a striking and unusual history, different branches throughout the game. This is one of the few games that handles well the mechanics of the powers of time in an effective and fun. It's a great game, including achievements and Steam Cloud support (So you saved games remaining in the account). Expand
  48. Dec 19, 2012
    I didn't like this game at first, mostly because I didn't want to be a little guy in a suit and tie. But once I gave it a chance, it grew on me. The style is distinctive and memorable. The idea of tying a time-rewinding game mechanic to a guilt-oriented storyline worked very well. Each new group of levels presented an interesting new twist. If you like cerebral puzzle games, you'll like this.
  49. Dec 13, 2011
    Was I suppose to get an instruction manual or something? I had to search Google to figure out exactly how to play because figuring it out on your own is not as simple as you would think. I can only praise this game for it's creativity and beauty.
  50. Dec 19, 2011
    Ernst Gombrich wrote, -There really is no such thing as Art. There are only artists.- Not a bad way to describe what u become in Braid. With the use of the senses a computer can reach, you become the artist. The moment of inspiration triggers intellect and it is provoked by beautiful music and nice graphics. It could be intellectually challenging, but most important... it is creativelyErnst Gombrich wrote, -There really is no such thing as Art. There are only artists.- Not a bad way to describe what u become in Braid. With the use of the senses a computer can reach, you become the artist. The moment of inspiration triggers intellect and it is provoked by beautiful music and nice graphics. It could be intellectually challenging, but most important... it is creatively challenging. The tools you get may seem like a 2D platform game on the outside to the short of sight, but it wraps a use of thought to peel through the profound dimensional bending to create the enigmatic puzzles with thought provoking mechanics. It is certainly not for everyone, since it requires a creative and highly logical mind with enough space for a theoretical ruled world that lets you dream. It is not as difficult as it may sound, it should suffice to have a deep moment of though, but will stretch your common daily thinking to order events in a non continuous manner with the use of your ingenuity, logic and creativity, so much it seems you design the answer and not the developer. All in a beautiful metaphor of a story, as someone else said, -it is poetry.- But the poem needs a reader to understand it and feel it to be then considered great and not everyone is sensitive or sensible enough to grasp the essence always. You become the artist that completes the art cycle. So it comes down to preference, but from someone like me that has gone through a plethora of "big name" games, mmos and classic games, i recommend it as one fine jewel with emotional meaning in your drawer. The only problems this game has are; the non appealing art style to some (taste here), the idea that the way it looks could deceive you and make you believe it is a platform/ puzzle game and that it's -to my personal opinion-... way too short. It really makes you wanting more challenges and to feel that inspirational moment again over and over. As a puzzler... not the best, as a platform game... not great, as an art gallery, not good. The reason is that it is non, those are the just the mediums used... but not the object of art. So it may not be the most innovative, but it is surely the best at packing the characteristics that it offers... for you to unveil. As a conclusion, a $9.99 game that sometimes goes on sale for less than $3, that offers such an intimate connection to those that have the plugs is just ridiculous. Most +$60 dollar games haven't been able to scratch a bit of the itch that Braid cures. It is very much like comparing a great great poem to an long entertaining book in some cases. And... as a poem, it leaves you dreaming, thinking and understanding a little bit more of yourself... with few words, short and not hard to swallow. Expand
  51. Dec 27, 2011
    Played this game a while back, and it's definitely one of the best indie games out there. Not a platformer in the traditional sense, as it is a puzzle solving game, but it's very original, challenging and a lot of fun. The reason I don't give it a 10/10 is due to the story and the soundtrack. The story is super fruity and given through text between maps. The music is some weird ambientPlayed this game a while back, and it's definitely one of the best indie games out there. Not a platformer in the traditional sense, as it is a puzzle solving game, but it's very original, challenging and a lot of fun. The reason I don't give it a 10/10 is due to the story and the soundtrack. The story is super fruity and given through text between maps. The music is some weird ambient stuff that got on my nerves pretty fast so I just turned off the music volume and played some Def Leppard over it. Much better. Expand
  52. Dec 28, 2011
    Technically, Braid is a 2D platform game, in which you can partially control time to solve each level, collecting pieces of a puzzle. The levels can be played sequentially or not, and you are not blocked if you can't complete a level. What makes Braid excellent is the non-repetitive nature of puzzle: each is unique and non-trivial. Some puzzle can be solved by speculation, others byTechnically, Braid is a 2D platform game, in which you can partially control time to solve each level, collecting pieces of a puzzle. The levels can be played sequentially or not, and you are not blocked if you can't complete a level. What makes Braid excellent is the non-repetitive nature of puzzle: each is unique and non-trivial. Some puzzle can be solved by speculation, others by trial-and-error. You will be coming back to starting levels to find out that what you've been playing just taught you how to progress further and solve puzzles you couldn't tackle before. Puzzle layout is in general very ingenious, and the possibility of going ahead without completing all previous puzzles helps to keep interest high; with experience, you will get back and solve everything missing. All the puzzles are organized along an inspiring narration. From the beginning, you get the feeling you're helping the character, not just playing him. All texts are well written, style is consistent and the whole storyline is very emotional. The ending was unique, in terms of gameplay and narration. Graphics are absolutely lovely: from Braid's official site you can even download the original spritesheets and some game assets. Music is very good, different for each world and well matched to the world's features. Playing Braid has been a very rewarding experience, from the start to the end. I would advise to play it to anyone who love videogames. Braid raised the bar for any game to come, thus I give it a 10. Expand
  53. Dec 28, 2011
    This is one of the few games I would consider as art. It makes you feel all kinds of emotion for optimism to sorrow. This game is truly life changing.
  54. Apr 26, 2014
    An ABSOLUTE masterpiece. This is a puzzle platformer with incredible artwork, a delightful soundtrack, and an amazing storyline. The puzzles are perfectly put together and are VERY well done and creative, I can't even imagine how someone would come up with most of these puzzles. Throughout the game you're given different powers, whether they can slow down time in a specific region, orAn ABSOLUTE masterpiece. This is a puzzle platformer with incredible artwork, a delightful soundtrack, and an amazing storyline. The puzzles are perfectly put together and are VERY well done and creative, I can't even imagine how someone would come up with most of these puzzles. Throughout the game you're given different powers, whether they can slow down time in a specific region, or rewind the world, they are given to you at perfect times to keep you interested, and are incorporated into each puzzle professionally. Braid was an absolute delight to play through, and there's no reason why it should be rated even below an 8, I honestly can't find any flaws in it's design. People that rate Braid bad probably aren't that good at puzzle games or got fed up with it. I know there were a few points where I felt like giving up because some puzzles aren't obvious in the slightest, but when comparing Braid to other games of the puzzle platformer genre, it is clearly the king. The storyline is told by text for the most part, and a few cinematic-like scenes. The ending is breathtaking, and I HIGHLY recommend Braid above even most triple-A production quality games. The sincerity and heart put into Braid is incredible, and you can feel it radiating with every step you take. I can't recommend Braid highly enough, I think it's an experience any gamer should partake in. The asking price of $9.99 is very fair, as Braid is lovingly crafted and has a very good playtime given it's genre.

I don't give out many 10's. Only about five so far and I've played hundreds of games. Braid deserves this ten, as it's flawless and is up there in my top 10 games of all time, as well as being near the pinnacle of my favorite gaming experiences.

BUY BRAID!
  55. Feb 15, 2012
    Best game ever made. It is so great in so many ways!
    - Story is probably the best in a platform game ever. Probably one of the best stories in a game ever.
    - The graphics are amazing.
    - The soundtrack may very well be one of the best soundtracks ever made for a game.
  56. Feb 27, 2014
    Braid is a game that will never get old. It's like a beautiful dream of an outstanding magical painting. A masterpiece that should be in my good stuff collection.
  57. Apr 15, 2012
    Very challenging puzzle game, lovely design and very innovative game-play! One of the greatest platformers or even greatest games ever, a real masterpiece.
  58. May 20, 2012
    One of the few games I think could qualify as "Art". This game integrates gameplay and narrative perfectly. The puzzles are some of the best I've seen in a game to this day.
  59. May 30, 2012
    Braid was a game I got in a humble bundle that I hadn't played until now. I had already spoiled myself with the story and with no real plans of buying it. So when I saw in my downloads, I figured I give it a try since I had already bought it. I was surprised that I still managed to have fun playing the game and piecing the story together. You will see what I mean as I talk about Braid.Braid was a game I got in a humble bundle that I hadn't played until now. I had already spoiled myself with the story and with no real plans of buying it. So when I saw in my downloads, I figured I give it a try since I had already bought it. I was surprised that I still managed to have fun playing the game and piecing the story together. You will see what I mean as I talk about Braid.

Story: This is the big thing you will hear about when people talk about this game. You probably won't understand it your first time through until you play the game again and notice how everything relates. Even then, there are still many discussions about the game story. So to not spoil things, I will tell you the premise your are given, Your trying to save the princess who has gone missing due to a mistake you made. As you go into each world's lobby, you can read books that give you more in site on the story. I personally think the story is very interesting and cleverly told through the game. It uses the world and optional books to tell the story rather then cut-scenes and dialogue.

Gameplay:

Braid plays like a 2D side scroller with the addition element of time. You make your way through each level while collecting puzzle pieces needed to reach the ending. You can't jump really high but if you bounce off an enemy you can jump higher. All puzzles are solved using the Speed button. You can rewind or freeze movement. It sounds simple but there are object that are not affected by rewind, objects that need to be recovered using rewind, and guiding enemies using the rewind function. New mechanisms get added to each world that keeps things interesting. Most of the puzzles are simple to figure with only a few can be frustrating if you don't understand a game-play mechanic that was not explained. I did have to use a walk-through to see precisely what to do on those frustrating parts. Many of the levels are short and the game can be completed in 6 hours. I enjoyed the game play and had fun.

Graphics/Sound:

The graphics in braid are like a beautiful watercolor paintings. It gives the feeling you are exploring strange worlds and relates to the mood of the story. They are so detailed that you want to play this game on the biggest screen you have. The the foregrounds and character makes me think of a theater using paper puppets. Everything is animated so well that nothing feels unnatural. The art style is perfectly done. The music in Braid is relaxing and atmospheric. You can fall asleep to it and dream. It fits well with the game and the story.

Conclusion:

Braid may seam like a simple plat former with a gorgeous atmosphere but it's much more then that. The story is surprisingly deep and deceptive at first. You will have to complete the game once or maybe twice to really understand the story. The game-play is simple and easy to get into but can get quite deep with the rewind mechanics. Most puzzles are easy to figure out but some are frustrating if you didn't figure out a game-play mechanic that was never taught. It can be bought for $10 on a online store or $20 DRM free and works on all Operating systems from the Developers website. Overall, It's a great game that you may enjoy.
  60. Jun 2, 2012
    This is really awesome game. Innovative puzzle levels and gameplay. Starting from world 5 this game become really challenging. This is also the thing I don't like in this game. It start to be less puzzle and more platformer as you progress.

But that doesn't spoil this game awesomeness.
  61. Aug 3, 2012
    Braid is broken. Everything about Braid is a mess. But that is the point and that is the beauty. The game takes everything linear to which gamers have become accustomed and challenges the player to adjust. Music goes forward then backward, breaks then stops and all the while sets a mood that is so very fitting of the nature of the game. It is all classical music but it feels fairly new,Braid is broken. Everything about Braid is a mess. But that is the point and that is the beauty. The game takes everything linear to which gamers have become accustomed and challenges the player to adjust. Music goes forward then backward, breaks then stops and all the while sets a mood that is so very fitting of the nature of the game. It is all classical music but it feels fairly new, because never will you experience a full song. The music is so traditional, but it is not ever traditional. Constantly Braid challenges the gamer to forget what they know about what is linear. Most importantly, Braid wants you to forget what you know about time. In this way, moving backward is commonly the only way to move forward. That is about as broken as a game can be. If you get killed by a goomba-like monster; no worries, you can reverse time. All the while the music reverses with you. The game only moves forward if you move forward. In one world of the game your steps forward or backward decide whether or not time moves forward or backward. The story is also nonlinear. The elements of the story are presented throughout the game but it is never clear exactly what the main character's attitude or mindset is, but all the while it is heartbreaking. There is a message trying to sneak out of the broken remnants, but the character is so engulfed in his fantasies that it is difficult to understand who he is. The game is literary, in a medium which often fails or makes no effort to be. Luckily, Braid does not force it down your throat, but rather leaves you to interpret. And finally, breaks your heart with an ending that forces you to rethink what you thought the story was attempting to purvey. Braid is more art then it is video game. The only aspect which felt off was the length and I personally would have liked to see a few more worlds implemented to push the game to about nine hours or so. But it is difficult to complain about a game so well conceived and thought provoking, as it may have helped create a much more fervent interest in indie games, as it is a perfect example of the passionate heart which can be packed into such a small game. Expand
  62. Jul 11, 2012
    This is what happens when a very intelligent gentleman gets his hands on state-of-the-art gaming technology. The concept of this game is the most unique thing ever to meet my eyes, and that's saying a lot. The art-style of this game is so soothing, it kinda makes you want to... Zzz...
    If you have some money to spare... Buy. This. Game.
  63. Jul 28, 2012
    This game is perfect. An interesting story, nice controls, time puzzles that are well done and a great set of secret stars to find. .@SeamusB. Bad controls? Did you try to play this game with a toaster? A turd? A potato? Are you mentally retarded? People only insult this game because they are too stupid to figure out how to walk and go into a trolling rampage.
  64. Jan 18, 2014
    Although it's not a perfect game as many reviewers appear to believe, Braid is certainly above average. The puzzles are challenging enough to be fun without feeling overwhelming, the art (specifically the backgrounds) are quite pretty, the music is nice, and the game-play in general is unique. While this game does suffer from rather strange enemy hit-boxes, the virtual invincibility ofAlthough it's not a perfect game as many reviewers appear to believe, Braid is certainly above average. The puzzles are challenging enough to be fun without feeling overwhelming, the art (specifically the backgrounds) are quite pretty, the music is nice, and the game-play in general is unique. While this game does suffer from rather strange enemy hit-boxes, the virtual invincibility of manipulating time usually makes it easy to fix ensuing mistakes.
    The worst part of this game is actually the plot, with some of the text bordering on cringe-worthy. This, however, is of little consequence as the plot can be skipped entirely if desired.
    All things considered, if you're interested in a 2-D platforming puzzle game, braid is a great choice (especially during a steam sale).
  65. Aug 9, 2012
    I joined Metacritic to write reviews for several games that I really, really liked. Braid is one of them. I played this over at a friends house (I don't have an XBOX) one weekend and fell in love with it. The time thingie was really fun to play around with and Braid is very beautiful. I didn't like the look of the main character much, I thought he was kind of like a kid character, but thenI joined Metacritic to write reviews for several games that I really, really liked. Braid is one of them. I played this over at a friends house (I don't have an XBOX) one weekend and fell in love with it. The time thingie was really fun to play around with and Braid is very beautiful. I didn't like the look of the main character much, I thought he was kind of like a kid character, but then the story was quite serious. Other than that it's my favorite game in terms of looks and style. Collecting jigsaw was cute and appealed to me on a personal level because I used to do puzzles when I was little. Beautful, fun and difficult gameplay, and a really, really appealing story. Expand
  66. Oct 5, 2012
    One of the greatest games I have ever played. It mixtures art, music and puzzles in a way i have never seen before. There is an incredible number of references to other games (i interpreted them as homage). The story, the music and the challenges will keep you involved until you find an amazing, twisted and mind blowing ending .
  67. Oct 2, 2012
    I think all the wonderful things I'd tell about this game to be already among these other review, so I'll jump that part.
    I just wanted to tell about those negative reviews' writers: did you really play the game?
    Pardon, did you really FELT the game? That just because Braid isn't just nice graphic good music and jumping around, we wouldn't write those words just for a simple mix of
    Pardon, did you really FELT the game?
    That just because Braid isn't just nice graphic good music and jumping around, we wouldn't write those words just for a simple mix of Prince of Persia and Super Mario.
    This is a game with an its own philosophy, where each puzzle represents a challenge of life (do you remember, the castle made of experiences?), where EVERYTHING has a reason to be here (both for gameplay and conceptual reason), where there are so many meanings, theories and interpretations that you'll never find in any triple A game.

That said, if you just played it to get to the end, or worst you read solutions around the web, I think you lost the chance to remember it as one of the best game ever. For ever.
  68. Oct 6, 2012
    One of the few games that one can play even in 2020 or 2050. Why? Because the story doesn't get old. Because the puzzles are challenging. Because the creator, mister Blow, put his heart into it and shows a fragile piece of thoughts we humans might have when in relations with other people. Music, colour and the written pages of an excellent writer makes this a timeless game! 10!
  69. Dec 11, 2012
    The epitome of pretentious indie hipster games. There is a decent puzzle-based platforming game here but the ending really soured the whole game for me. PoP: Sands of Time did everything this game did but better and 6 years prior.
  70. Mar 30, 2014
    This game certainly deserves a 10, no doubt, even though I'm not really a great fan of puzzles. What this game basically offers is 4 different mechanics, for each of which you have to solve 5-8 levels. The game is about time and rewinding time. In World 5, for example, you have your double doing your last actions somewhat like in "A company of myself" or "Robotron". In world 4 the timeThis game certainly deserves a 10, no doubt, even though I'm not really a great fan of puzzles. What this game basically offers is 4 different mechanics, for each of which you have to solve 5-8 levels. The game is about time and rewinding time. In World 5, for example, you have your double doing your last actions somewhat like in "A company of myself" or "Robotron". In world 4 the time goes forward when you character moves right, and backward when the character moves left. In world 3 you see keys and doors (and other objects) which are unaffected by time rewinds. Finally, in world 6 you have a ring around which time slows when you drop it on the ground. This whole game is mind-blowing, extremely innovative and interesting. My only regret is that it's just a puzzle game - a genre which I don't really like much because the gameplay is basically about thinking hard, torturing yourself, to finally find the solution (also partly by randomly doing things on the level) - without any replay value later because the puzzle has already been solved.
    Artistically, the game is great as well. The music is good, too - and the feature of the music playing backwards when time goes backwards is also unique.
    This game is worth playing by all hardcore gamers, even if they aren't into puzzles. At the time it was released it was a major step forward in gaming. And even in 2014 it still remains an excellent game.
  71. Feb 12, 2013
    Those who give this a low rating most likely haven't completed the first world. It's true that in the first few levels, the time-manipulation does nothing more than rewind the game. At first, it appears just to be a Mario spin-off that could have been a free online Flash game. However, as you get deeper into the game, you'll encounter objects (including enemies) that aren't affected byThose who give this a low rating most likely haven't completed the first world. It's true that in the first few levels, the time-manipulation does nothing more than rewind the game. At first, it appears just to be a Mario spin-off that could have been a free online Flash game. However, as you get deeper into the game, you'll encounter objects (including enemies) that aren't affected by time, forcing you to prioritize the order you do things like obtain keys. On other levels, time is affected by the direction you move, forcing you to plan carefully. The reason I'm giving this only an 8/10 rather than 10/10 is because it's quite short in my opinion. The entire game and all its achievements can be completed in an hour or two. I got this on sale for $2.50 and I'm glad I didn't pay the full ten bucks, because although it's beautiful and innovative and all that, you could get a lesser but similar challenge over on any free games site. Expand
  72. Dec 16, 2012
    I think it's simple and clever at the same time, why must it be either loved or hated, it's a puzzler and it makes you think, I enjoyed it and I recommend it to anyone who likes taking a break to something casual every now and then, now back to the zombies...
  73. Dec 26, 2013
    Braid is a 2-D puzzle platform game where time control is the key game mechanic. There are a few places where quick reflexes are required, but for the most part solving the puzzles just requires figuring out the right sequence of actions. Most of the puzzles are intuitive yet difficult and require a lot of thought to solve. A few puzzles were so difficult that I had to consult a videoBraid is a 2-D puzzle platform game where time control is the key game mechanic. There are a few places where quick reflexes are required, but for the most part solving the puzzles just requires figuring out the right sequence of actions. Most of the puzzles are intuitive yet difficult and require a lot of thought to solve. A few puzzles were so difficult that I had to consult a video walkthrough. The goal of the game is to collect puzzle pieces, and then assemble the puzzle on a canvas. The puzzles are artsy-fartsty paintings which are pretty decent, and it is trivial yet fun to put the puzzle together. There are also books in the game that contain pieces of a story. Just like the paintings, the developer is trying to get artsy-fartsy with this story as well. For me the story was too disjointed and "out there" for me, but this does not really detract from the game. The art and music for the game are very good. I played this game with a game controller on my PC, it is probably a bit harder to play in on a keyboard. Overall it is an excellent game that I can strongly recommend. If you like this game, you might like these 2-d puzzle games: Limbo, Vessel, The Swapper. You might also try 3-d puzzle games Portal, Portal 2, and Antichamber. Expand
  74. Feb 8, 2013
    It was the first Indie Game I ever played, and maybe it was the best.

It was the first Indie Game I ever played, and maybe it was the best.

In the beautifully created world of Braid you have to solve puzzles, which are built around the main characters ability to rewind time. I never was a big fan of puzzle game, but the level design of Braid is so great, that I did not even peek into a walkthrough, because I just wanted to figure out all the puzzles by myself. Every puzzle is unique, short and builds upon the skills and knowledge aquired in previous ones every puzzle is perfect.

The sound quality of some sound effects is not good, but most people won't notice. Apart from that, the whole sound design works great, the music is very very well chosen, and I love how the audio engine responds "correctly" when you go back and forth in time.

Braid is a unique experience. Everybody really everybody should get Braid.
  75. Dec 24, 2013
    In an age when many games feel like clones of one another or are designed to be easy to beat, Braid sticks to its guns and delivers a rewarding and memorable experience that's definitely worth checking out. It's like an invigorating breath of fresh air, and proof that a handful of independent developers can create games that raise the bar for others.
  76. May 31, 2013
    The Game has a some what though provoking "Story"
    despite it not really using this story as well as they could have it was still enjoyable
    Braid has some interesting and some thought provoking mechanics its worth $9.99 (Or $10) but the two best things were the soundtrack and the objects immune to time travel That made this truly puzzling to me when i tried it Also the story is again
    The Game has a some what though provoking "Story"
    Braid has some interesting and some thought provoking mechanics
    Also the story is again mostly a metaphor and i love it
    9/10 for innovation
    -1 for not using the 'story' as well as it could have been used
  77. Jul 29, 2013
    Bought it off steam summer sale. I had heard some good things about the game and wanted to check it out. It wasn't what I expected to be honest. The game is very short and using a guide would totally ruin it. I cleared the game with all the puzzle pieces in 2-3 hours. I'll keep it short and list all the things I liked and didn't like.

Positive: + The art in the game was nice apart from

+ The art in the game was nice apart from the monsters.
    + I liked the little background story.

- Rewinding time ruined the music. Luckily you can keep SFX sounds, turn the music down and put your own background music so this in itself didn't ruin the game for me. I still would've liked to listen to the original soundtrack without getting annoyed.
    - Puzzles were too easy in my opinion. I had about as hard time putting the 4x3 puzzles together as I had getting the pieces for them, apart from a very few levels.
    - Bosses were there simply to waste your time. Not providing any challenge or content to the game at all.

Overall I'd say that there's a lot to improve. I did enjoy it a bit while it lasted so I'd like to see more games like this. I hope they'd last a bit longer though.
  78. Jul 10, 2013
    This game has the best story line I have ever seen, as simple as that. very challenging, great music. When played I advice to play it to the end and and get to understand how deep the game is.
  79. Aug 21, 2013
    Impressive graphic design, impressive and unique gameplay, a challenge that needs you to think the time as a real dimension,related to the space.
    A fantastic soundtrack makes this game really beautiful.
    I almost never give 10, but this game makes its things perfectly.
    A piece of Art.
  80. Oct 21, 2013
    A vulnerable intense personal experience that plays with the passage of time not only in mechanics but especially in narrative flow. The game lures the audience peacefully into a hero's quest to rescue a damsel deliberately draped with corruptions of classic video game tropes boxing the universe into finite stages to remind us that this is indeed a game. The universe is unnerving as aA vulnerable intense personal experience that plays with the passage of time not only in mechanics but especially in narrative flow. The game lures the audience peacefully into a hero's quest to rescue a damsel deliberately draped with corruptions of classic video game tropes boxing the universe into finite stages to remind us that this is indeed a game. The universe is unnerving as a deeply personal edge reminds us that nothing is possibly what it seems. Unapologetically sincere drama expressed coldly through text are used as allegories for game play, disturbances in memories symbolized as puzzle pieces being assembled foreshadow a clouded story out of order reminiscent of Memento or Pulp Fiction.

The games culmination is one of the best seen in gaming, thrusting the developers feelings and perhaps personal history directly into the players path to cast judgement. This is deliberate, and a brave step for any Artist to release work highlighting their own personal short comings.
  81. Nov 20, 2013
    Braid is a very nice looking game with great aesthetic scenery… And it’s challenging… For me it was perhaps a little too far on the frustrating side! I did enjoy playing the game, providing I didn't get stuck in a place for too long, it’s then when I didn't enjoy my experience! The mechanic of time control is manipulated well (considering it’s the only one used that would be expected) andBraid is a very nice looking game with great aesthetic scenery… And it’s challenging… For me it was perhaps a little too far on the frustrating side! I did enjoy playing the game, providing I didn't get stuck in a place for too long, it’s then when I didn't enjoy my experience! The mechanic of time control is manipulated well (considering it’s the only one used that would be expected) and adds an interesting dynamic to the game! I personally didn't really have a clue what was going on in the game for the most part, however I did still enjoy it… The downside I feel is complete lack of replay-ability, I have no interest in playing the game again, but maybe that’s just me! Expand
  82. Jan 17, 2014
    This game is a brainraper. But your brain will enjoy it. Braid is one of the most brain working puzzle games ever made. Everthing is so well designed that it is impossible for you not to be amazed by it.
  83. Feb 28, 2014
    Amazing game, it's also the most beautiful poetry, Jonathan Blow definetively made it, one of the best games ever.

The unique stuff that I don't like about the game, is the lack of graphical options, I.E., changing resolution, changing and other stuff, I managed to turn off Vsync and increase FPS by command line settings.
  84. Jan 5, 2014
    I like everything! Gameplay. music, story, ambiance, etc. You should play this game if it is not already done!

An essential game if you are beginning to play to indie games.
  85. Jwv
    Jan 9, 2014
    Beautiful, enchanting artwork, a simple concept and truly ingenious puzzles. This game was also featured in Indie Game: The Movie, so watch this if you're interested.
  86. Jan 21, 2014
    As i have entered this game much later than others, oblivious to both hype and hate, i can really see both sides to the below reviews.
    On the one hand, it can seem a rather generic platformer at first (But it isnt) and is much too short, but on the other hand, if one feels it is short, its because you want more... and i certainly wanted more of Braid.
    the puzzles, the time mechanic, the
    the puzzles, the time mechanic, the hand drawn art (especially the intricate backgrounds ) all fit together nicely enough to leave you wondering why Jonothan Blow didn't make any sequels (or even just more)
  87. Jun 10, 2014
    Visualmente interesante y con unas mecánicas de juego sobre el control del tiempo que lo hacen una referencia en el campo de los juegos indies, pero tal vez la historia queda un poco desvinculada de la mecánica. Vale la pena comprarlo, sobre todo en rebajas.
  88. Oct 28, 2014
    Dies ist einer der besten Indies, die ich jemals gespielt habe.
    Ich liebe das Konzept. Der Entwickler versteht auch Rätsel zu machen - mit Aha-Effekt am Ende.
    Man musste mal die gleiche Map auf verschiedene Arten lösen, was ich ganz genial finde.
    Mit der Geschichte und der melancholischen Hintergrundmusik hat mir das Spiel emotional zugesetzt.

1. 360 gamers were frothing at the mouth for good reason: it’s an instant indie classic.
  3. It doesn’t just copy a certain plumber’s early adventures verbatim like so many before it – some of them excellent in their own right – did, but seeks to plant the seeds of growth that the genre has lacked for so many years in showing that, by imprinting its own identity on a well weathered template, incredible things can happen.