8.6

1. VinceK
    Apr 25, 2009
    Everything Seamus said was wrong about the game is the reason why I love it. Yes, there is trial and error, and you have to rewind many times, but the game made it so easy and seamless that the payoff and satisfaction you get when you finally nail it at the end is immense and genuine. I think the only way your gaming experience will be hurt is if you consult gamefaqs or some other guide, Everything Seamus said was wrong about the game is the reason why I love it. Yes, there is trial and error, and you have to rewind many times, but the game made it so easy and seamless that the payoff and satisfaction you get when you finally nail it at the end is immense and genuine. I think the only way your gaming experience will be hurt is if you consult gamefaqs or some other guide, and rob youself of that satisfaction. Some of the hardest puzzles in the game had the easiest answers, none of them were "vague," it was just a matter of looking at it in a different light (except for the stars, but those are not integral to finishing the game (wait, can the game be finished?)). The only flaw I saw with the game is its short length and nil replay value,,,,but that has changed with the implementation of the level editor, which I hope will create a thriving Braid level-making community. Expand
  2. AnthonyB
    Dec 1, 2009
    Pure genius! Jonathon Blow has created a truly remarkable piece of entertainment!
  3. AWG
    Jul 7, 2013
    Braid is a good game but it's not the greatest game. Yes, the concept is innovative and yes, graphics are cute but that's all. GOAT game? Nah. Poetry? Nah. More like "Your Average Indie Platform Game".
  4. RamonR.
    Sep 17, 2009
    Wonderful story, and great mix of classic and new elements.
  5. BrandonH
    Dec 20, 2009
    Braid is an unforgettable experience with its unique art-design, fantastically original puzzles, simple yet captivating story, very responsive gameplay, and its absolutely amazing soundtrack. This games soundtrack is in my top 10. Definitely buy this game you will not regret it.
  6. Feb 22, 2013
    If you don't know about this game you should. It isn't really even a game you should write a review of it should be mandatory to play this to call yourself a gamer. Braid is one of the touchstones of contemporary gaming and it is a perfect example of the immense amount of innovation games are capable of.

Now that is in reference to the game play and mechanics. The story and characters leave a lot to be asked for. While neither are big enough issues to take away from the general fun of the game the story reads like an one-star-highschool-emo-fantasy-novella (poorly) translated from german. The characters look exactly like what they are an overlooked element of the game.

Music and backgrounds are beautiful. But they are sorely undeserved by the sprites.
  7. Dec 1, 2011
    Unique and interesting puzzle platformer. Six worlds, each offering a new challenge. Some of the puzzles are actually pretty difficult and can take a frustrating toll on your patience or more likely a trip to You Tube to figure them out. There is a story...kind of...but not really--I didn't really follow it. Overall, the game was enjoyable because it offered something different than theUnique and interesting puzzle platformer. Six worlds, each offering a new challenge. Some of the puzzles are actually pretty difficult and can take a frustrating toll on your patience or more likely a trip to You Tube to figure them out. There is a story...kind of...but not really--I didn't really follow it. Overall, the game was enjoyable because it offered something different than the norm, but it is pretty short. Expand
  8. Dec 26, 2013
    Braid is a 2-D puzzle platform game where time control is the key game mechanic. There are a few places where quick reflexes are required, but for the most part solving the puzzles just requires figuring out the right sequence of actions. Most of the puzzles are intuitive yet difficult and require a lot of thought to solve. A few puzzles were so difficult that I had to consult a videoBraid is a 2-D puzzle platform game where time control is the key game mechanic. There are a few places where quick reflexes are required, but for the most part solving the puzzles just requires figuring out the right sequence of actions. Most of the puzzles are intuitive yet difficult and require a lot of thought to solve. A few puzzles were so difficult that I had to consult a video walkthrough. The goal of the game is to collect puzzle pieces, and then assemble the puzzle on a canvas. The puzzles are artsy-fartsty paintings which are pretty decent, and it is trivial yet fun to put the puzzle together. There are also books in the game that contain pieces of a story. Just like the paintings, the developer is trying to get artsy-fartsy with this story as well. For me the story was too disjointed and "out there" for me, but this does not really detract from the game. The art and music for the game are very good. I played this game with a game controller on my PC, it is probably a bit harder to play in on a keyboard. Overall it is an excellent game that I can strongly recommend. If you like this game, you might like these 2-d puzzle games: Limbo, Vessel, The Swapper. You might also try 3-d puzzle games Portal, Portal 2, and Antichamber. Expand
  9. Feb 28, 2014
    Amazing game, it's also the most beautiful poetry, Jonathan Blow definetively made it, one of the best games ever.

The unique stuff that I don't like about the game, is the lack of graphical options, I.E., changing resolution, changing and other stuff, I managed to turn off Vsync and increase FPS by command line settings.
  10. KevinZ.
    Nov 10, 2009
    This is probably the most surprising and satisfying game I've ever played. Be prepared though- this game is intensely cerebral, in both puzzles and plot. To those who claim the game is "just trial and error," and that the only challenge comes from controls, I say you are simply playing the game wrong. Once you find the correct solution to a puzzle, it is generally fairly easy to This is probably the most surprising and satisfying game I've ever played. Be prepared though- this game is intensely cerebral, in both puzzles and plot. To those who claim the game is "just trial and error," and that the only challenge comes from controls, I say you are simply playing the game wrong. Once you find the correct solution to a puzzle, it is generally fairly easy to execute. If you don't mind deconstructing the abstract, allegorical plot (which is indeed rather poignant), or not being able to figure everything out right away, this game is for you. Expand
  11. BlindF.
    May 1, 2009
    Simply one of the greatest games I ever played to this day. Even though it could be longer this game left me absolutely speechless while playing and showed me that you don't need a big budget or a big team to achieve such a wonderful experience.
  12. Sep 13, 2011
    If you don't love the amazing artwork, the brilliant soundtrack, the ingenious puzzles, the emotionally destroying story and how much care it's been crafted with, you have a heart made of cold granite.
  13. FrancT
    Jan 3, 2010
    Braid is not a video game, it is poetry. More words to describe this game: love, growth, beauty. This is by far the best game design I have ever seen.
  14. Rileym
    Dec 17, 2009
    This game is stunning, it creates challenges that out wit & out smart games such as portal. it creates challenges that are actually beautiful (yep that's how i describe them, beautiful) and only few particular deranged people with no lives *cough* Fred X *cough* Seamus B *cough* don't understand or enjoy
  15. DaneilH
    Jan 12, 2010
    This is a wonderful game. Quite possibly the best indie game of all time. Life changing with its genius in gameplay and story.
  16. Oct 9, 2014
    So apparently if you're a normal human being, you'll rate this game 10/10. I can't for the life of me figure out why. The puzzles are alright, but the story is pretentious and uninteresting.
  17. Nov 20, 2013
    ‘Such an anti-climax.’

‘Such an anti-climax.’

I purchased this game having gotten somewhat tired of the same old games I have been playing of late. Looking forward to a game that has achieved such formidable critical acclaim and what can only be described as one of the greatest, most innovative indie games to have surfaced in recent years. All I can say is what a huge disappointment this was and I would quite simply like to have my money back. Don't get me wrong, I loved the concept of time manipulation included in the game as a core mechanic... It mightn’t be the most original of concepts but still it was a nice core mechanic to fool around and play with. As I eagerly encompassed my very first (and last) play through I quickly became mesmerised by the stunning visuals and the painterly stylistic design. Its touching (if not a little clichéd and pretentious) plot leaves much to be desired but is thankfully saved by its storytelling execution as it slowly unfolds and is told in such a captivating and beautiful manner. What I did take away from Braid that will undoubtedly leave its mark is of course its enchanting score. This however for me didn't save it from the puzzle based platforming tediousness and repetitiveness that soon followed and engulfed my enjoyable (at first) play through. For me the monotonous challenge invoked in this game soon lead to frustration which in turn created an unwillingness and lack of desire to continue and carry on with my progress. Who would have guessed trial and error could cause such anguish and misery. It is a wonderful accomplishment in some respects and I applaud the game’s developer for what he has created, but to blindly call this overhyped and incredibly overrated game a masterpiece is to insult the many other praiseworthy indie titles out there.
  18. May 31, 2012
    Overrated. Wait, before you disagree, just hear me out. This is a good game. A great game, actually. The gameplay is smooth, the artstyle is brilliant and the character design is interesting. The puzzles are each unique and fun to figure out. The story is, well, its there, somewhere. My only real problem with Braid is the fact that the creator deliberately made the game without anyOverrated. Wait, before you disagree, just hear me out. This is a good game. A great game, actually. The gameplay is smooth, the artstyle is brilliant and the character design is interesting. The puzzles are each unique and fun to figure out. The story is, well, its there, somewhere. My only real problem with Braid is the fact that the creator deliberately made the game without any discernible story. The creator himself has stated that their is more than one interpretation of the story and that he "would not be capable" of explaining it. So, the game has no story. It's just a bucketful of theories and ideas. But, don't give up on it, the game does have moral lessons embedded within the gameplay and "story". The most obvious theme is that the past cannot be reversed. What's done is done. While the story is different than normal games, and can turn many people away due to its vague nature, it's still interesting and a fresh take on both platformers and modern story-driven games. In my opinion, Braid shines due to its artistic aspect. The backgrounds in this game are amazing. Everything is, or at least seems to be, painted by hand. If not by hand, then in a "painterly" style, as the summary states. The character designs are simple, but very different and interesting when compared to other modern platformers. In conclusion, I would say that Braid is a unique game with a very vague, poignant and atypical story that will evoke a different theory from every individual that plays. While not a bad thing, it does not follow the traditional building blocks or plot outline that most games go by, and this can make it an unenjoyable experience for some. I give Braid a 7.5/10. Mostly because of how short the game is. Expand
  19. Slayer
    Jun 7, 2009
    Very nice little game, should be a little longer but it is nice at all.
  20. mh
    Jan 9, 2010
    the perfect time killer; fun, puzzling, great music, and very well put together.
  21. Jan 1, 2012
    This game is perfect. There is not a single thing I can complain about. The story is amazing and creative. In the same manner as Inception and Donnie Darko it really makes you think and leaves a lot of details to your mind. However; I'm positive that more than 50% of the people who play this game will miss the story totally which is sad seeing it is the best story, by far, delivered by aThis game is perfect. There is not a single thing I can complain about. The story is amazing and creative. In the same manner as Inception and Donnie Darko it really makes you think and leaves a lot of details to your mind. However; I'm positive that more than 50% of the people who play this game will miss the story totally which is sad seeing it is the best story, by far, delivered by a game to this date in gaming history. Some people compare this game to Portal, this is however a very bad comparison. This game is way more. Portal was a fresh game but it was not a masterpiece in the sense Braid is. Portal will be remembered as creative and witty. This game will be remebered as so much more with amazing music, graphics, gameplay mechanics AND story. The game can be too hard for a lot of people seeing it requires A LOT of abstract thinking, problem solving and independent mind. This is because the gameplay depends on your mind and the story depends so much on your imagination. Even more so in the later levels of the game. This game can also be very hard at first try because it gives very little information to the player to why the player should solve all these amazing puzzles. And for someone like me who really wants to be "paid" for doing work in a game it was really hard getting the motivation. However I was so wrong. This game rewards the player so much when he finishes the game by revealing story parts and things that have been so apparent all the way but so well hidden. Thanks Jonathan Blow for making the most amazing game ever made. Expand
  22. Apr 29, 2011
    Good and original mechanics, awesome art style, good music, challenging (but not impossible) puzles, nice story with a surprising ending. One of the best, if not the best, indie game I've ever played. It's not a superproduction but it's what a video game should be. In this age of clones of remakes of copies, originality and imagination is not dead yet thanks to games like this one.
  23. Feb 27, 2014
    Braid is a game that will never get old. It's like a beautiful dream of an outstanding magical painting. A masterpiece that should be in my good stuff collection.
  24. Feb 23, 2013
    A very simple game, but really challenging.

The game has strong inspirations on the Mario games, especially on the environment and gameplay, and also on Prince of Persia Sands of Time because you can use the ability to go back in time as much as you want. At first it may seem simple, but a bunch of times you'll see yourself stopping a bit to think on a strategy to get one of the many
    A very simple game, but really challenging.

At first it may seem simple, but a bunch of times you'll see yourself stopping a bit to think on a strategy to get one of the many puzzle pieces spread all over the game.
    Definitely it's not a game for the weak, but it is really rewarding when you manage to overcome the proposed challenges.
  25. Nov 13, 2012
    To review this game, I had to read other user reviews done on this site. And to be honest, I realized something: every person who gave this game a negative or even mixed review is just not getting the concept of the game or too simple to solve it's puzzles. But let me talk about the game itself. The graphics are real simple yet so beautiful. It really is a soothing game to look at. As forTo review this game, I had to read other user reviews done on this site. And to be honest, I realized something: every person who gave this game a negative or even mixed review is just not getting the concept of the game or too simple to solve it's puzzles. But let me talk about the game itself. The graphics are real simple yet so beautiful. It really is a soothing game to look at. As for the music, it makes me feel lost in the game. Famous developers now a days don't concentrate on music and forget that music is part of the whole experience (Not all though, Music in Skyrim is awesome). The music in Braid just makes me feel like I'm in a different plain all together. Honestly, even if the gameplay was crap I'd still give it a 9 just because of the music (sorry for the exaggeration). But, fortunately, the gameplay is anything BUT crap. I found some people referring to it as a Super Mario clone. That is just WRONG. Some other people say that the game lacks fun. Have fun playing Call Of Duty because this game is not for simpletons like you. I had immense fun playing this game and challenging my brain. And I will be honest. THIS GAME IS HARD. I found myself pounding my head and screaming at the screen at some points of the game where the puzzles get so crazy. But did that ever make me quit? Never. I didn't quit any Point and Click adventure in my life so I am not quiting this. The gameplay is mostly platforming and jumping on enemies. Then it introduces Time Manipulation in a brilliant way. And every world has a theme to it, like one world is all about rewinding time, the other is about stopping and forwarding...etc. The game is beautiful to say the least. As for the story, it feels more or less like a poem. It was MEANT to be misleading and hard to get. Although I still don't fully grasp the story, It still is an interesting one. But If I wanted to rate a story I would review a Point And Click adventure not Braid. Did Limbo have an amazing story? Exactly. I gave this game a 10 because it deserves it. And it is not over-rated at all. This game deserves the support of everyone and to rate it lower than a 9 is saying that you are a Call Of Duty fan. Which means: Don't rate our games you gamer wanna-bes. Collapse Expand
  26. May 2, 2014
    Braid is a simple puzzle platformer, or at least at the first glance. Gameplay is incredibly smooth and well done along with all the time tricks you get to experience throug the levels. You'll love the relaxing "classical" music and overall soft and chill appeal in whole design.
    The trick is the first glance of simplicity wears off quite fast and you are going to get stuck. Often. Braid is by far the hardest puzzle game I've ever played. This is truly going to test how patient and clever you are. You are going to be frustrated at times, but at the same time each puzzle is going to give you a great feeling of accomplishment if you are patient enough to solve it on your own. None of the puzzles are dumb or repetitive and each brings a new pattern to uncover and understand.
    About the story - I must say I enjoyed the sentimental style and slow uncovering of it, but most of the time I was quite confused and had no idea what it was all about. Well, I definitely experienced better storytelling in games, but this game won my gaming soul just by its crisp gameplay.
  27. Sep 7, 2013
    Puzzle platformers tend to be platform games with a few easy puzzles. Braid is a puzzle games with some easy platform elements. The puzzle mechanic is one of the most innovative I have seen. It involves time manipulation and challenges you to think in new ways to predict the consequences of manipulating time in various ways and use this ability to achieve your goals. It starts out easy andPuzzle platformers tend to be platform games with a few easy puzzles. Braid is a puzzle games with some easy platform elements. The puzzle mechanic is one of the most innovative I have seen. It involves time manipulation and challenges you to think in new ways to predict the consequences of manipulating time in various ways and use this ability to achieve your goals. It starts out easy and the difficulty ramps up at a good pace. Towards the end the game is challenging even for experienced puzzle solvers. The game is also non-linear in that you don't need to solve everything in one part of the game to progress to later parts, if you get stuck on a puzzle you can go somewhere else and come back to tackle that puzzle later.

The game has an artistic style that feels completely natural and fits well with the unique style of the gameplay. Graphics and sound contribute further to make the game atmospheric. The story is told in various ways, including texts you can read at the start of each level but also, in a way, through the pictures that you need to assemble to complete a level.

All in all this is the best puzzle platformer I have played (unless you count Portal as a 3D puzzle platformer) and highly recommended to anyone who likes puzzle games.
  28. Mar 26, 2013
    This game has a beautiful atmosphere and story. It really does. Unfortunately, I simply did not enjoy working my way through the various puzzles. I just found them to be so unbelievably tedious, and only managed to put about 2 hours into this before deciding to move on to games that I actually like playing.
  29. Mar 5, 2011
    What is Braid? Braid is well-crafted platformer, which uses a time-manipulating system on which puzzle-solving is based. It also has great music and graphical content, as well as amazing storyline, both inspiring and a food for thought. For me, game was a little bit hard on some of it's parts, but I have to say, even if you are not a fan of this genre (I'm an RPG-player, mostly), youWhat is Braid? Braid is well-crafted platformer, which uses a time-manipulating system on which puzzle-solving is based. It also has great music and graphical content, as well as amazing storyline, both inspiring and a food for thought. For me, game was a little bit hard on some of it's parts, but I have to say, even if you are not a fan of this genre (I'm an RPG-player, mostly), you should try Braid at least for it's story, well-done 2D drawings and music. Expand
  30. Aug 28, 2013
    Braid is a puzzle game with a classical soundtrack and a van gogh like art direction that makes for a very sublime melancholy experience.

This may lead you to think Braid is designed for the casual non-gamer market, but don't let it's initial impressions fool you for beneath is a series of devilishly constructed brainteasing contraptions that will have even the most experienced of problem solvers doing a double-take.

The unique twist of Braid is the puzzles are based around time-travel or in this case time-reversal. Which means there is no fear of death or level restarts. Make a mistake? No problem, just reverse time for as long as you need and correct it. You'd think this might make the puzzles easy, but in fact it screws with your normal way of thinking and actually makes the puzzles more challenging.

Its probably safe to say you've never experienced any puzzle solving like this before and you probably will never again. Creative, ingenious, satisfying, and one-of-a-kind. A must try. 9/10

P.S. The puzzles might not require a walk through to complete, but the storyline sure did. In the end that might be Braid's biggest puzzle of them all. Good luck solving that one.
  31. Mar 30, 2011
    Braid is nice platform game, old school simple yet avantgarde in the way it blends art, gameplay and FUN.

I think it has been a bit hipped and some have been taken in by the " oh its art i don't have to explain it" It does have some drawbacks as it is not a long enough game yet it already starts to feel repetitive at the end. graphics may confuse you a bit, the combination of apparently bland sprites with breathtaking animations and environments, but you kinda forgive the game for the sprites as this does seem to have been a conceptually delivered choice, and the technical and artistic process are well ratified throughout the rest of the game.
  32. Dec 15, 2010
    What these guys aren't telling you is the controls are non customizable (you NEED a 3rd party app to use a controller or to change buttons). The graphics, while stylized and a neat direction, end up washed out and blurry, and the platforming is as generic as the story. Yes there is a "twist" to it, but if you played Prince of Persia, you won't be seeing anything new.

The music is good,

The music is good, the controls tight, the game itself is decent, but this is not the second coming of platformers everyone is making it out to be. It is a generic indie game that reached circlejerk overhyped status; this is not a bad game or a great one, it is an average platformer.
  33. SeamusB.
    Apr 13, 2009
    This surely has to be the most overrated 'indie' game of all time. Although somewhat innovative in its much-hyped time-manipulation mechanic, even though this was merely an elaboration on Prince of Persia's system, the rest of the gameplay falls woefully short. Much of the game's challenge comes not from the puzzles, most of which are blatantly apparent; but instead This surely has to be the most overrated 'indie' game of all time. Although somewhat innovative in its much-hyped time-manipulation mechanic, even though this was merely an elaboration on Prince of Persia's system, the rest of the gameplay falls woefully short. Much of the game's challenge comes not from the puzzles, most of which are blatantly apparent; but instead from the extremely fiddly nature of how your character controls, and the nigh-on unavoidable trial-and-error nature of both solving puzzles and fighting enemies. As such, the central mechanic of the game becomes its greatest hindrance - as the game is designed around time manipulation, and the ability to go back and fix errors, it also becomes a nightmare of micro-managing the character's actions, to the point where in some cases if the character is more than a few pixels off the intended route, or strays just a bit too far in a given direction, he is killed, forcing a rewind. Despite the easily solvable nature of most of the puzzles, several are far too vague, and at least for myself, required consulting GameFAQs.com more than once. The purpose of the jigsaw puzzles is not explained during the game, and neither is the fact that completing certain portions actually makes certain parts of the game inaccessible, necessitating a restart of the game from scratch if the player wishes to see these parts. Also, the plot of the game is deliberately vague, misleading and utterly pretentious and overblown - totally out of place, considering the game's rather cutesy, whimsical style and direction. Although great care has obviously been lavished on the graphics and music, both of which are a joy to behold, they feel lost on such a teeth-grindingly irritating core game. There are many better examples of progressive platforming/puzzle games with deep and innovative gameplay and great graphics and sound, most of which don't cost a penny, such as Iji, Within a Deep Forest, Knytt, Knytt Stories, Fancy Pants Adventure, Nevermore 3, Eternal Daughter and many more. I realize most will not agree with my take on the game, but I honestly could not believe there's a single negative review of it anywhere with what to me seem like such apparent and fundamental flaws in how the game plays. Expand
  34. FredX
    May 1, 2009
    Not knowing much about this game apart from the praise, I looked forward to this "innovative" indie game coming to PC, but after playing it, I've come to realize that most of the praise is just hype. I generally like 2-D scrollers and puzzle games, but this game still didn't grab me. The only going for it is actually the graphics in the background (I don't like the Not knowing much about this game apart from the praise, I looked forward to this "innovative" indie game coming to PC, but after playing it, I've come to realize that most of the praise is just hype. I generally like 2-D scrollers and puzzle games, but this game still didn't grab me. The only going for it is actually the graphics in the background (I don't like the chubby/compressed nature of the "sprites"). Gameplay is just tedious trial and error, which I get sick of pretty quick. They've tried to make everything vague (story and gameplay) just to make it more interesting, but vague isn't the same as interesting, to me it's plain boring. This does not feel original, it feels contrived, and just isn't fun. Expand
  35. Nov 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. How does this get so much praise?

This game overall is so laughably bad that I'm ashamed that it got a 90. The design is so bad it rivals Bubsy 3D. The concept of rewinding time is ruined by un-rewindable objects, and you never really truly need it unless you die. Yes there is a good puzzle in world 3, but that's it. MOST OVERRATED INDIE GAME OF ALL TIME.
  36. Jan 22, 2011
    Braid is like getting a beautiful present, and opening it to realize youâ
  37. FelixS
    May 6, 2009
    The game got nice graphics nice music and a good layout. Too bad the good stuff stops there. The gameplay is regular platform, jump here, jump there, Jump on the evil guys, watch out for the man eating flowers from the pipes. We seen it done before and I could say Braid improved on it, if there was anything to improve on. Braid is just like super mario on this part. So here comes the part The game got nice graphics nice music and a good layout. Too bad the good stuff stops there. The gameplay is regular platform, jump here, jump there, Jump on the evil guys, watch out for the man eating flowers from the pipes. We seen it done before and I could say Braid improved on it, if there was anything to improve on. Braid is just like super mario on this part. So here comes the part that Braid tried to make new, the time concept, which in itself is a great concept but in practice means you do the same thing over and over again till you get it right. The puzzles aren't so much puzzles as "what am I thinking about" questions, where there is only one right answer that doesn't have to be logical at all. The game is nice with its strange atmosphere and time modifying parts, but never do you get the feeling you actually accomplished anything, In fact you don't actually have to accomplish anything at all, if you didn't menage to get that piece of the puzzle you can just skip it. No strings attached for you to actually finish getting that last part of the puzzle unless you want to play the last 6th world, at which point my patience was well over already. I think Ill just stick to I Wanna Be the Guy, a game which at least doesn't try to hide you will get annoyed as hell on it. Expand
  38. JohnBerring
    Sep 10, 2009
    This game was just a very simple port of classic donkey Kong. It reminded me of the Game boy color edition. It was the same thing with a dif guy and brushed up graphics. Apparently, when people say its original, they obviously havent played games 10 years ago. Im sorry, but this deserves a 5
  39. FrancisK
    Apr 30, 2009
    Ingenious time mechanics, beautiful art direction and music, fresh take on old gameplay and mind-blowing twist ending makes this a memorable gem among video games. However, the game is too short and storytelling is just too vague and feels disconnected from the game itself. It just looks like the author didn't want to care much about it, so he just put together random metaphors Ingenious time mechanics, beautiful art direction and music, fresh take on old gameplay and mind-blowing twist ending makes this a memorable gem among video games. However, the game is too short and storytelling is just too vague and feels disconnected from the game itself. It just looks like the author didn't want to care much about it, so he just put together random metaphors between the levels and said, "Well, this is good because it's so mysterious." No, it isn't. Even letting players guess he meaning has its limits and Braid is very close to that limit. Expand
  40. JustinL
    May 10, 2009
    Puzzle/platformers aren't really my thing but I thought this game was amazing. Possibly the first one I've played where it's obvious that the developers were seriously trying to identify and make use of the singularity of the video game medium.
  41. SamH
    May 6, 2009
    One of the best games I have ever played, and one of my favorite games I played last year. There's a few things you have to realize before going in, and that it's a deep puzzle game first of all. Don't think it's purely a platformer, because if you do and don't expect to really use your brain and have good patience with the game then you won't like the game One of the best games I have ever played, and one of my favorite games I played last year. There's a few things you have to realize before going in, and that it's a deep puzzle game first of all. Don't think it's purely a platformer, because if you do and don't expect to really use your brain and have good patience with the game then you won't like the game (as some of the puzzles are absolutely clever in their design with intricately simple solutions even if it seems complex). Also the story, while brilliant and more meaningful than many classic 20th century novels for me, is extremely ambiguous in it's presentation and slightly pretentious. It is a story that REQUIRES afterthought and "watercooler discussion" with others to really get anything out of it. If you can deal with the above, then you have probably come across one of the greatest games ever made. No one's seen a progression in game design ideals done so well in a game before since Braid. Expand
  42. EvanH
    Apr 22, 2009
    Purely amazing the innovation was in the presentation of it and the proof that the little guy with the big idea can make it in the game industry is an inspiration to independent game devs.
  43. Felix
    Apr 12, 2009
    Best game of the year so far. Gameplay is innovative and challanging, while never frustrating. Hardcore gamers get their fair share of skill-based puzzles. Puzzle players will of course be satisfied. And just for the thrill of it even casual players could try it. The music is done well, too and the art style is unique and fits the overall atmosphere. Controls work fine on PC. Overall a Best game of the year so far. Gameplay is innovative and challanging, while never frustrating. Hardcore gamers get their fair share of skill-based puzzles. Puzzle players will of course be satisfied. And just for the thrill of it even casual players could try it. The music is done well, too and the art style is unique and fits the overall atmosphere. Controls work fine on PC. Overall a must buy (especially for that price). Expand
  44. Aug 24, 2010
    Most of this score is dedicated to how thoughtful the game's 'plot' was, but how unobtrusive that plot was for those that just wanted the gameplay. It's guaranteed to make you think, and while the last level is a bit ambiguous in how it works, it is still a genius twist that really questions the heroics of every game character out there.
    The puzzles are absolutely genius, must've taken so
    The puzzles are absolutely genius, must've taken so long to come up with, but they provide you with much head-scratching, and a cheeky grin once you've solved them. If you can't, you might eventually feel like beating someone, since the last level requires you beat every puzzle, but if you're anything like me you'll just use an FAQ if something eludes you for so long it frustrates you. An in-game guide wouldn't have gone amiss really.
    But this game is still exceedingly clever, and very satisfying to play as long as you can work out the puzzles fairly competently, thus I dub it 'Best Indie Game Evar'.
    Oh, and I'd give it a 9.5 except I can't and I didn't think 9 was ample justice, so I rounded it up to 10 :).
  45. Sep 24, 2010
    A great game, plays without a single flaw. Why give it 9 then? Well it has not got a great story, and can get a bit confusing on your first play through. It has great replay value, takes away all of the annoying niggles that are present in a lot of platformers and is practically just pure fun!
  46. Nov 8, 2010
    The art style of this game is incredible. The music is great and neatly rewinds and fast forwards along with your time controls. Some of the puzzles in this game are CONFUSING! Which I think is a good thing, after sitting there for 10 minutes and you finally figure one out you'll have a "son of a **** moment but it should be worth a good giggle. I only gave it a 9 because the game is aThe art style of this game is incredible. The music is great and neatly rewinds and fast forwards along with your time controls. Some of the puzzles in this game are CONFUSING! Which I think is a good thing, after sitting there for 10 minutes and you finally figure one out you'll have a "son of a **** moment but it should be worth a good giggle. I only gave it a 9 because the game is a little short even with the speed trials you can unlock when you complete the game. Expand
  47. Nov 8, 2011
    An inventive & unique action puzzle game (controller/gamepad HIGHLY recommended) that revolves around the manipulation of time to solve various puzzles, with an interesting & thought provoking storyline that has hidden dark layers & undertones beneath the colorful semi-cartoony graphics. Progressing through the game & solving the variety of diverse puzzles is certainly brain-teasing, &An inventive & unique action puzzle game (controller/gamepad HIGHLY recommended) that revolves around the manipulation of time to solve various puzzles, with an interesting & thought provoking storyline that has hidden dark layers & undertones beneath the colorful semi-cartoony graphics. Progressing through the game & solving the variety of diverse puzzles is certainly brain-teasing, & while some may leave you totally stumped at times, Braid is the type of game where as you are running around experimenting the answer will hit you all of a sudden & keeps you coming back for more. You can't exactly "die" in Braid, but don't let that fool you into thinking this game is somehow lacking in difficulty. It's definitely quite challenging & just when you think you have solved it all there are secrets hidden throughout the game. While the game is not that long the experience will certainly leave its mark upon you. Thanks to Braid I now pay a lot more attention to indie games because there are some real gems out there. Can't wait for a sequel!! Expand
  48. Dec 22, 2010
    Challenging, fun and a beautiful few hours of game play. For the price it is a game everyone should play. It could be longer, but it is only a cheap indie game and a stunning one at that.
  49. Mar 31, 2011
    I usually hate puzzle games like this, but for a while it was pretty intriguing. The time mechanic keeps changing enough to keep up, and the boss fights are definitely fun. I guess I'm just not cut out for puzzles, since I just look up all of them in other games because I don't care about solving them.
  50. Jan 11, 2011
    Braid is Super Mario Brothers out for a bender and high on a hefty dose of Acid. The Acid trip starts slowly; the first few levels are quite normal and conform to the basic platform idea. Then some weirdness starts to sneak up on youâ
  51. Jan 29, 2011
    A great challenging game with equally great graphics & soundtrack. It was so good I bought it for two of my friends. And at a reasonably price, I can't see no one complaining.
  52. Apr 10, 2011
    Braid is an ingenious little puzzle/platformer, its core element is time manipulation in which each chapter has its own unique twist. The flow of the game is balanced, though sometimes depending on your platforming skills it can become a bit of a trial and error challenge, which may be tedious. The plot is a bit vague and confusing at first but the outcome is simply brilliant and wellBraid is an ingenious little puzzle/platformer, its core element is time manipulation in which each chapter has its own unique twist. The flow of the game is balanced, though sometimes depending on your platforming skills it can become a bit of a trial and error challenge, which may be tedious. The plot is a bit vague and confusing at first but the outcome is simply brilliant and well executed, exploiting the capabilities of the medium it's in. The visuals are aesthetically pleasing and the soundtrack is glorious. With roughly 10 hours of gameplay, its unique puzzles and mind-blowing epilogue, Braid is a must play. Expand
  53. Mar 14, 2011
    Braid is yet another fine game I have played. I love the character design, the sytle, the story, the gameplay, the level design, and most of all the reversing feature. That feature became the most innovative feature on a platformer in my opinion.
  54. Aug 2, 2011
    Braid is such a cleverly designed game. The rewarding feeling of solving the puzzles is comparable, if not greater than the portal series. The different themes of power in each world makes it so that a specific power doesn't get overused. I loved the songs "Downstream", "Lullaby" and "Romanesca" which I still listen to after finishing the game. My complaints are that the game controls menuBraid is such a cleverly designed game. The rewarding feeling of solving the puzzles is comparable, if not greater than the portal series. The different themes of power in each world makes it so that a specific power doesn't get overused. I loved the songs "Downstream", "Lullaby" and "Romanesca" which I still listen to after finishing the game. My complaints are that the game controls menu or "How to play" menu doesn't tell you how to speed the rate of rewinding time, which made one of the puzzles impossible to do without finding that out first. Secondly, to get the "proper" ending, you are supposed to collect 8 stars. The first star takes almost 2 hours of waiting around doing nothing, which is pretty tedious and the second star requires you to not complete world 3, which would have been good to know. I think the game should have had arrows pointing to the star in the rooms that contained them, as I find it hard to believe that people don't use guides to find them. Finally, the story ends by throwing loads of text at you, which left me feeling cold. That said, this was my first indie game and I loved it. Expand
  55. May 22, 2011
    right this game is WEIRD. I see the resemblance to mario,, and while it has soothing music the whole "forgiveness...princess...non-manipulable" rubbish wehre it tries to be deep, is preposterous, annoying, silly, and stupid. The character looks EXTREMELY odd, his skull is 1/3 the size of his body. That's not a problem, just odd. The trying to be deep and philosophical part was rubbish andright this game is WEIRD. I see the resemblance to mario,, and while it has soothing music the whole "forgiveness...princess...non-manipulable" rubbish wehre it tries to be deep, is preposterous, annoying, silly, and stupid. The character looks EXTREMELY odd, his skull is 1/3 the size of his body. That's not a problem, just odd. The trying to be deep and philosophical part was rubbish and quite annoying. Played a few levels for like 20 minutes. I'll remember to always check the demo on games as I most likely won't be wasting my time with this odd game. HOW this got 10/10 on eurogamer I HAVE ZERO idea. people are probably idiotic stoners or into pseudo-philosphical games. The weirdness I don't mind. It just isn't something really fancy tha tmuch. couldn't get into ti. maybe the days of me playing the rubbish "save the princess" games are over.
    All I could think about was how BAD of a case of One-itis this programmer probably had for some chick that dumped him or that he got dumped by! The whole intro of the game wreaked of "forgiveness and getting back some princess and manipuable blah blah" the main character even looks like a chump. Blegh. Didn't like this much at all.
    One thing I noticed and really would like to remedy is it's CHALLENGING for me buy games I actually really want to play (like portal 2 and assass 2 have been on my top wishlist for AGES). Granted they're more expensive, but it's useless to me to waste money on crap titles like this. I may revisit this game later but highly doubt ever getting into it because it wreaks of some programmer getting dumped and then making an entire mopy game out of it! WTF!! How eurogamer gave this piece of slinky odd crap a 10???!!I have no idea. My respect for eurogamer plummetted upon hearing that. If you're into the extremely odd graphics, zen-elevator-muzak, and a game coded by some programmer who obviously had serious one-itis, well, then buy this game! If those aren't your preferences (and they aren't mine), then don't. I think I'm also realizing that if I put time into playing and beating a game these days I want to be a REALLY quality top-notch game, a to-be-classic game (portal series DEF falls in that category) and bioshock 1 did as well, assass sort of did. Anyways cheers.
  56. Jan 31, 2012
    You can be an innovative creator, have an original idea and good level design but it doesn't make your game accessible and fun for many people. That's a shame.... but entry barrier is too high for such a regular user as me. I've played it for a few hours and drowned in frustration... I could think about it more, I could watch the answer on the web but the difficulty level isn't theYou can be an innovative creator, have an original idea and good level design but it doesn't make your game accessible and fun for many people. That's a shame.... but entry barrier is too high for such a regular user as me. I've played it for a few hours and drowned in frustration... I could think about it more, I could watch the answer on the web but the difficulty level isn't the problem. It's the lack of motivation that prevents me from pursuing it... Expand
  57. May 26, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fresh, unique, puzzle game; one of the few things that have perished since Tetris. But not for Braid. The mechanic of time-warping is very perplexing, and the use of it will change the thinking methods of players as each level progresses. Highly recommended for players who have yet to discover a good indie puzzle game. Expand
  58. Dec 27, 2011
    Braid is a puzzle, not a game, and I admit I am not good at puzzles. In fact, if they are too intricate, I will have trouble solving them. Braid is one of those complex puzzles. It started out fun and intriguing, but soon, I lost patience as the puzzles became more unreasonable. The platforming is minimal and only actually found in the last five minutes of the experience. In Braid, youBraid is a puzzle, not a game, and I admit I am not good at puzzles. In fact, if they are too intricate, I will have trouble solving them. Braid is one of those complex puzzles. It started out fun and intriguing, but soon, I lost patience as the puzzles became more unreasonable. The platforming is minimal and only actually found in the last five minutes of the experience. In Braid, you will be able to rewind and fast forward time in order to engineer your way through platforms, locks, and barriers. This appealing mechanic is used in a novel manner, and is implemented elaborately. The artwork is colorful and vivid, providing the player with a well developed background. Even if one does not enjoy the genre of music used in the soundtrack, the songs are fitting of the setting. Braid's plot is mildly interesting, even though it doesn't make much sense, nor does it provide much detail. You must appreciate and love puzzles in order to proceed and enjoy Braid thoroughly. I found the majority of the puzzles too complicated and impossible to solve without help. The overall experience is convoluted, jumbled, pretentious, and frustratingly complicated. This is a series of puzzles for puzzle lovers only. Even though the atmosphere of the puzzles along with their storyline are done well, it leaves me with an ultimate feeling of incoherence in the end. It's not that the puzzles are illogical, it's that they are overly complicated without needing to be. The process of solving these puzzles is not enjoyable nor satisfactory, and the ending is nearly pointless, being more of a continuation of loose fragments thrown together for no real reason. Braid is also very short and offers zero replay value. If you absolutely love puzzles or puzzles in games, give Braid a try. You might find it tolerable or even enjoy it. Personally, I feel that it is massively overrated and trite. Braid is about absolutely nothing at all. Its only purpose is to be self-important and pompous. Expand
  59. Oct 17, 2013
    Intelligent, clever, beautiful and a really honest game the like of which is rarely seen. Takes old school 2D platformers to the level of art with its amazingly balanced gameplay and world of secrets it shows only to the most dedicated player.
  60. Nov 21, 2011
    I feel like I put pocket change in a slot at the fair and unexpectedly had my mind blown, spending as much time trying to figure the game out after I beat it as I did while playing it. That's Braid, it's intellectual, poetic and problem-solving stimulation for pocket change. It starts as a fascinating yet mysterious puzzle solving game that finishes as emotionally moving, as well as aI feel like I put pocket change in a slot at the fair and unexpectedly had my mind blown, spending as much time trying to figure the game out after I beat it as I did while playing it. That's Braid, it's intellectual, poetic and problem-solving stimulation for pocket change. It starts as a fascinating yet mysterious puzzle solving game that finishes as emotionally moving, as well as a fairly grand metaphor for something which I wouldn't dare spoil for you. Believe the high rating, Braid is what happens when good poetry and a puzzle solving game are joined at the hip. Expand
  61. Jan 17, 2012
    If you like puzzle games, bright and simple, but with a twist "strange", this is it. It has a very good visual appeal, some of the most difficult puzzles and interesting. With a striking and unusual history, different branches throughout the game. This is one of the few games that handles well the mechanics of the powers of time in an effective and fun. It's a great game, includingIf you like puzzle games, bright and simple, but with a twist "strange", this is it. It has a very good visual appeal, some of the most difficult puzzles and interesting. With a striking and unusual history, different branches throughout the game. This is one of the few games that handles well the mechanics of the powers of time in an effective and fun. It's a great game, including achievements and Steam Cloud support (So you saved games remaining in the account). Expand
  62. Dec 13, 2011
    Was I suppose to get an instruction manual or something? I had to search Google to figure out exactly how to play because figuring it out on your own is not as simple as you would think. I can only praise this game for it's creativity and beauty.
  63. Dec 19, 2011
    Ernst Gombrich wrote, -There really is no such thing as Art. There are only artists.- Not a bad way to describe what u become in Braid. With the use of the senses a computer can reach, you become the artist. The moment of inspiration triggers intellect and it is provoked by beautiful music and nice graphics. It could be intellectually challenging, but most important... it is creativelyErnst Gombrich wrote, -There really is no such thing as Art. There are only artists.- Not a bad way to describe what u become in Braid. With the use of the senses a computer can reach, you become the artist. The moment of inspiration triggers intellect and it is provoked by beautiful music and nice graphics. It could be intellectually challenging, but most important... it is creatively challenging. The tools you get may seem like a 2D platform game on the outside to the short of sight, but it wraps a use of thought to peel through the profound dimensional bending to create the enigmatic puzzles with thought provoking mechanics. It is certainly not for everyone, since it requires a creative and highly logical mind with enough space for a theoretical ruled world that lets you dream. It is not as difficult as it may sound, it should suffice to have a deep moment of though, but will stretch your common daily thinking to order events in a non continuous manner with the use of your ingenuity, logic and creativity, so much it seems you design the answer and not the developer. All in a beautiful metaphor of a story, as someone else said, -it is poetry.- But the poem needs a reader to understand it and feel it to be then considered great and not everyone is sensitive or sensible enough to grasp the essence always. You become the artist that completes the art cycle. So it comes down to preference, but from someone like me that has gone through a plethora of "big name" games, mmos and classic games, i recommend it as one fine jewel with emotional meaning in your drawer. The only problems this game has are; the non appealing art style to some (taste here), the idea that the way it looks could deceive you and make you believe it is a platform/ puzzle game and that it's -to my personal opinion-... way too short. It really makes you wanting more challenges and to feel that inspirational moment again over and over. As a puzzler... not the best, as a platform game... not great, as an art gallery, not good. The reason is that it is non, those are the just the mediums used... but not the object of art. So it may not be the most innovative, but it is surely the best at packing the characteristics that it offers... for you to unveil. As a conclusion, a $9.99 game that sometimes goes on sale for less than $3, that offers such an intimate connection to those that have the plugs is just ridiculous. Most +$60 dollar games haven't been able to scratch a bit of the itch that Braid cures. It is very much like comparing a great great poem to an long entertaining book in some cases. And... as a poem, it leaves you dreaming, thinking and understanding a little bit more of yourself... with few words, short and not hard to swallow. Expand
  64. Dec 28, 2011
    Technically, Braid is a 2D platform game, in which you can partially control time to solve each level, collecting pieces of a puzzle. The levels can be played sequentially or not, and you are not blocked if you can't complete a level. What makes Braid excellent is the non-repetitive nature of puzzle: each is unique and non-trivial. Some puzzle can be solved by speculation, others byTechnically, Braid is a 2D platform game, in which you can partially control time to solve each level, collecting pieces of a puzzle. The levels can be played sequentially or not, and you are not blocked if you can't complete a level. What makes Braid excellent is the non-repetitive nature of puzzle: each is unique and non-trivial. Some puzzle can be solved by speculation, others by trial-and-error. You will be coming back to starting levels to find out that what you've been playing just taught you how to progress further and solve puzzles you couldn't tackle before. Puzzle layout is in general very ingenious, and the possibility of going ahead without completing all previous puzzles helps to keep interest high; with experience, you will get back and solve everything missing. All the puzzles are organized along an inspiring narration. From the beginning, you get the feeling you're helping the character, not just playing him. All texts are well written, style is consistent and the whole storyline is very emotional. The ending was unique, in terms of gameplay and narration. Graphics are absolutely lovely: from Braid's official site you can even download the original spritesheets and some game assets. Music is very good, different for each world and well matched to the world's features. Playing Braid has been a very rewarding experience, from the start to the end. I would advise to play it to anyone who love videogames. Braid raised the bar for any game to come, thus I give it a 10. Expand
  65. Jun 2, 2012
    This is really awesome game. Innovative puzzle levels and gameplay. Starting from world 5 this game become really challenging. This is also the thing I don't like in this game. It start to be less puzzle and more platformer as you progress.

But that doesn't spoil this game awesomeness.
  66. Dec 11, 2012
    The epitome of pretentious indie hipster games. There is a decent puzzle-based platforming game here but the ending really soured the whole game for me. PoP: Sands of Time did everything this game did but better and 6 years prior.
  67. Feb 8, 2013
    It was the first Indie Game I ever played, and maybe it was the best.

It was the first Indie Game I ever played, and maybe it was the best.

In the beautifully created world of Braid you have to solve puzzles, which are built around the main characters ability to rewind time. I never was a big fan of puzzle game, but the level design of Braid is so great, that I did not even peek into a walkthrough, because I just wanted to figure out all the puzzles by myself. Every puzzle is unique, short and builds upon the skills and knowledge aquired in previous ones every puzzle is perfect.

The sound quality of some sound effects is not good, but most people won't notice. Apart from that, the whole sound design works great, the music is very very well chosen, and I love how the audio engine responds "correctly" when you go back and forth in time.

Braid is a unique experience. Everybody really everybody should get Braid.
  68. Jan 12, 2015
    I'm a big fan of indies,unfortunately i found this...... uninteresting.As far as rating goes i rate games either 10 or 0. I know "what an **** but since people overrate you also gotta underrate ^_^
  69. Jan 21, 2014
    As i have entered this game much later than others, oblivious to both hype and hate, i can really see both sides to the below reviews.
    On the one hand, it can seem a rather generic platformer at first (But it isnt) and is much too short, but on the other hand, if one feels it is short, its because you want more... and i certainly wanted more of Braid.
    the puzzles, the time mechanic, the
    the puzzles, the time mechanic, the hand drawn art (especially the intricate backgrounds ) all fit together nicely enough to leave you wondering why Jonothan Blow didn't make any sequels (or even just more)
  70. LukasPruschke
    Jun 1, 2009
    I am gaming since 20 years and I have never seen a piece of art like this.
    .sith ekil tra fo eceip a nees reven evah I dna sraey 02 ecins gnimag ma I
    (This was an insider ;-) )

It's just an awesome experience for both your brain and soul, don't miss the final of this game!
  71. OliverC.
    Jul 15, 2009
    Game reminds me of portal, you feel like a genius when you beat it and the story telling and atmosphere were great. Be warned that this is a puzzle-platformer not a puzzle game disguised as a platformer. Because of that, a lot of the later levels end up being more a problem of timing rather than intelligence. The storytelling really shines in the epilogue, i wont give it away but the Game reminds me of portal, you feel like a genius when you beat it and the story telling and atmosphere were great. Be warned that this is a puzzle-platformer not a puzzle game disguised as a platformer. Because of that, a lot of the later levels end up being more a problem of timing rather than intelligence. The storytelling really shines in the epilogue, i wont give it away but the ending race is mindblowing. Still, I'm not sure I got quite 15 dollars worth of gameplay but i'm very impressed overall. Expand
  72. KyleH.
    Jan 8, 2010
    Simply a masterpiece. Although, I admit that this game is extremely difficult to beat. In fact, I am still working on it at the moment.
  73. IruH
    Dec 28, 2009
    I loved the game. It's design is adorable and the story is awesome.
  74. StephenM
    Dec 30, 2009
    This side-scroller is one of the most mind expanding (and best) experiences I have ever had from a computer game. Be sure to give it the attention it deserves; just because you reached some sort of conclusion does not mean you have seen everything this work of art has to offer.
  75. NashenO
    Dec 31, 2009
    Beautiful game, music that draws you in, and a game play mechanic that really makes you think; this game feels as though an exercise in logic/creative communication within the brain. The story had hidden depth that you may not realize until you examine it forwards and backwards, with interpretation left largely to the reader. In a word, this game is poetic. The only reason this does not Beautiful game, music that draws you in, and a game play mechanic that really makes you think; this game feels as though an exercise in logic/creative communication within the brain. The story had hidden depth that you may not realize until you examine it forwards and backwards, with interpretation left largely to the reader. In a word, this game is poetic. The only reason this does not receive a 10 is the amount of challenge presented in some areas. I ultimately had to look up hints for some areas -- and if you must get help, search for HINTS, not a walkthrough. You will enjoy it better that way. This game will NOT be rewarding for the impatient. If you can't slow down enough to think deeply, there are many aspects of this game that you simply won't enjoy. But if you can calm yourself and let your mind relax, especially when things get too hard, you can find a way through and feel a sense of pride for it. You know, kind of like life. Expand
  76. GeorgeV.
    Oct 31, 2009
    I love this game. It is fun, original and has brilliant puzzles. Some puzzles are very challenging, some a bit easier. With some patience you will be able to solve them all without having consult a walkthrough. And it's there for a great price. My #1 for this year!
  77. OllieC
    Apr 13, 2009
    Essentially Super Mario for the PC with different graphics - in fact when my girlfriend saw me playing she did a double take and said "oh I thought it was Mario!". The game has a great dreamy, arty feel, and the controls and gameplay are both something Miyamoto would be proud of. Support indie games and buy it off Steam!
  78. MatthewAustin
    Apr 18, 2009
    This is truly an exceptional game. With its stunning, painted visuals, novel mechanics, and story that borders on literature, it is the kind of thing that could only come from an independent publisher, and a must have if want more from a game than jumping on the heads of little coconuts.
  79. MattK
    Apr 27, 2009
    This game is fantastic, one of the most ingenious side scrollers I've ever played. I can honestly say that I have not experienced any of the negative effects that Seamus B. describes. The time manipulation is a joy, getting killed or messing up never was a problem to me as you can easily rewind back to where you were a second ago, you dont have to rewind all the way back to the This game is fantastic, one of the most ingenious side scrollers I've ever played. I can honestly say that I have not experienced any of the negative effects that Seamus B. describes. The time manipulation is a joy, getting killed or messing up never was a problem to me as you can easily rewind back to where you were a second ago, you dont have to rewind all the way back to the beginning of the level or anything, you can rewind to the precise moment before you were killed and then adjust your movement so you can continue. Once you get in the flow of the game the rewinding becomes second nature, I wasn't even thinking about it at all. The puzzles are very good in my opinion, I just wish there were more worlds in the game and more content overall, but the graphics, music, sound, and overall presentation is excellent. Expand
  80. CheeseyH
    Apr 28, 2009
    This game is a very special masterpiece. I loved it from the very moment I started playing it. The graphics are beautiful, the music fits totally into the atmosphere of the game. The game-idea itself is awesome. Every riddle you have to solve is unique and so cleverly done. There have been so many moments where I just though, "Ingenious!" Especially the star-hunting was very nice - even This game is a very special masterpiece. I loved it from the very moment I started playing it. The graphics are beautiful, the music fits totally into the atmosphere of the game. The game-idea itself is awesome. Every riddle you have to solve is unique and so cleverly done. There have been so many moments where I just though, "Ingenious!" Especially the star-hunting was very nice - even if I woulndt have found all stars on my own. This game is a very rare piece of art and for now, it's the best game I've ever played. Thank you for creating it! You did a fantastic job!! Expand
  81. PieterB
    May 20, 2009
    Truly one of the great games off all time. It's not marketing or money that makes it good, it's gameplay in it's purest form.
  82. Zack
    May 6, 2009
    Beyond brilliant, this game makes you a better human being for having played it. Those who rated it 'tedious trial and error' probably were not bright enough to appreciate it. Yes, the puzzles can sometimes be mind-bendingly difficult, but that's the fun. The storytelling is poetic, somewhat contrived, but very beautiful in a quiet way. I would say Braid is one of the best Beyond brilliant, this game makes you a better human being for having played it. Those who rated it 'tedious trial and error' probably were not bright enough to appreciate it. Yes, the puzzles can sometimes be mind-bendingly difficult, but that's the fun. The storytelling is poetic, somewhat contrived, but very beautiful in a quiet way. I would say Braid is one of the best overall measures of both aesthetic and analytical genius one can create: if you love it, you're quite smart, and if you don't, well, then you're no better than Soulja Boy. Expand
  83. Em_J
    Jun 21, 2009
    I thought this was really well worth it. This game was very lovingly created, with the art, music, play-control and game mechanics being of high quality. I really love the way the game requires exploration and interaction to learn the way it works. The only reason this is pleasurable, however, is because it is done correctly. The puzzles are each an exercise in understanding game I thought this was really well worth it. This game was very lovingly created, with the art, music, play-control and game mechanics being of high quality. I really love the way the game requires exploration and interaction to learn the way it works. The only reason this is pleasurable, however, is because it is done correctly. The puzzles are each an exercise in understanding game mechanics. Once you see how it works, the solution naturally develops. Both the 'story' and game mechanics are 'explained' in the same fashion by trend and example with moderate ambiguity. I personally did derive something from some portions of the accompanying 'story' text, but really the author should be more clear since he was obviously trying to make a philosophical statement. It feels like he was driving at something, then just gave up on making it concrete, in the hopes that someone else would fill in the blanks. Don't toil too hard on understanding the text. ***SPOILER: Here's my take: The way I interpret this is that the 'princess' is any ambiguous objective. Several stories are told at once to show how people's personal 'princess' can create outcomes which appear ironically different in outcome than in pursuit. Neat game though. Expand
  84. Brendan
    Sep 10, 2009
    Probably the best storyline of any video game I've ever played (Even better than Knights of the Old Republic). It's amazing how well the developer has done all of the aspects of this game perfectly, with no assistance of a big-name publisher. Hour's of fun (And frustration at times, but eh, it's a puzzle game) Definately worth the buy.
  85. Karlw
    Sep 13, 2009
    Great game, very good puzzles, but it's plot was a bit too vague to be compelling. While it was absolutely interesting, there's a point where a game can just be a little bit too incoherent. I paid $5 for this game on steam, and I got about 4 and a half hours of play time from it. While I couldn't exactly justify a $15 purchase, it's a charming, entertaining puzzle Great game, very good puzzles, but it's plot was a bit too vague to be compelling. While it was absolutely interesting, there's a point where a game can just be a little bit too incoherent. I paid $5 for this game on steam, and I got about 4 and a half hours of play time from it. While I couldn't exactly justify a $15 purchase, it's a charming, entertaining puzzle game/platformer that's worth experiencing. Expand
  86. ErichvonE
    Dec 25, 2009
    Absolutely remarkable. The time and effort that has gone into such a simple, yet amazingly complex platform like this is amazing. I am completely enchanted. Braid has succeeded in reviving the wonder and captivation I had for the early video games when I was a young boy. Beautiful in every way.
  87. [anonymous]
    Dec 28, 2009
    Is this game a platform? Maybe, but for me was be one of the most best experience of my gamers (long) life. Simply poetry!
  88. Nathanc
    Apr 19, 2009
    Not gonna lie, this game is a complete mind Fu** in many ways. On some of the worlds i literally exclaimed WTF? I really enjoyed the innovative puzzles that I have never seen before, but was very dissapointed that they didn't combine some of the "powers" together is later worlds, such as Using the ring, and the alternate universe trick. That would have been really satisfying. The Not gonna lie, this game is a complete mind Fu** in many ways. On some of the worlds i literally exclaimed WTF? I really enjoyed the innovative puzzles that I have never seen before, but was very dissapointed that they didn't combine some of the "powers" together is later worlds, such as Using the ring, and the alternate universe trick. That would have been really satisfying. The story in it, almost makes no since whatsoever, and i feel as if some of it was just thrown in at random. another thing I have to complain about is that it was uber short. I beat the game in an afternoon, which i feel makes the game slightly overpriced. Despite my gripes, this is a very fun indi game that should not be overlooked. It way by far the most fun I have had in a while. I eagerly look forward to a (hopefully longer) sequel. Expand
  89. RiccardoQ
    Apr 23, 2009
    Braid is not just a puzzlegame (it's a puzzlegame mates, not a platformer), nor just and indie that crashed with success on the market scene thanks to it's original game mechanics and for the well hand drawn graphics. It's an artpiece and as anything worthy to be so called, it can be read at different levels: 1) a great puzzle game, build around a strong platform gameplay. Braid is not just a puzzlegame (it's a puzzlegame mates, not a platformer), nor just and indie that crashed with success on the market scene thanks to it's original game mechanics and for the well hand drawn graphics. It's an artpiece and as anything worthy to be so called, it can be read at different levels: 1) a great puzzle game, build around a strong platform gameplay. What the author says it's real: there is no filler, every single stage adds something new to the game. Most jigsaw pieces are very easy to pick, but anyway they give you an insight on the game mechanics, so that when facing the hard ones, you have just to figure out how to use the skill you've learned. I can't but applaud the level design. It's very strange how the game develops: nothing seems to be compulsory, no one says you what to do, and the story content is only between a stage and the others written on books that are about glimpses of someone's life, not a real story. 2) A great puzzle game, with a very interesting story, with a shocking ending. In the whole game you read books about a love story between Tim (who it's obviously you) and a misterious princess. It's looks like a very strong, overwhelming love, that confuses both. But somehow it must be true, because you are going to save the princess... what else can a videogame be about? The whole story is oneiric for sure, the impressionist painting, you are in a suit but in a fantasy world, you assemble puzzle pieces togheter and every time you find out something more about this love story...every room is a metaphore of some aspect of life, and both the gameplay and the looks of the rooms reflect this... for sure it's a dream. So what is that about? You live it all just like you are saving the princess but in the end... you find out the real truth: you've lived the whole story backwards. You tough that you were running to save the princess, but the truth is that she was escaping from you. So you a madman whose love was not returned, and you've hidden the truth in the most remote part of your brain (the end of the game). As you arrive in the final stage indeed the last books reveal both the faces of the story: your point of view, and the point of view of the princess. But the story doesn't goes on, you remain in the loneliness of your solitude, the princess out of your reach. 3) At this point it was already a piece of art for me, but then I've played it again from the start, reread all the books with the new knowledge I've had about the story, found all but one of the stars, and noticed more details. For example the flags at the end of every stage are in naval flag laguage and say Tim that he should not go on. And there is some reference about the nuclear bomb, and the outside background seems like a great sunset, but maybe it's a bombed city... and some books describe Tim as a scientist... then I've reached the princess, and the nuclear bomb exploded. After that Tim is really alone in his dream/nighter, realising what he has done, learnt that in life some mistakes can be undone... but some can be not. You are one of those responsible of making the first nuclear warhead, you've lived an experience that can't be described. Maybe music could grasp the mood of this experience, maybe some painting could hint the feelings of it, maybe a movie or a book could tell the story... but Jonathan Blow tried to render the whole oneiric experience with an ambixious videogame. That's a great job, I'm really impressed... and I still had a lot of fun playing with it, as a lot of people who stopped and enjoyed with the first aspect of the game. hooray for Braid!!! p.s. sorry for my english, I'm waiting to emigrate from Italy to improve it. Expand
  90. JamesR
    Apr 24, 2009
    Immersive and unique. The game's short length (seen as its only major flaw) actually works more in its favour, because it retains the element of lush quality without labouring the point. Seamus B: Also, the plot of the game is deliberately vague, misleading and utterly pretentious and overblown - totally out of place, considering the game's rather cutesy, whimsical style and Immersive and unique. The game's short length (seen as its only major flaw) actually works more in its favour, because it retains the element of lush quality without labouring the point. Seamus B: Also, the plot of the game is deliberately vague, misleading and utterly pretentious and overblown - totally out of place, considering the game's rather cutesy, whimsical style and direction. Ever heard of dramatic strengthening via juxtaposition? I think not. Expand
  91. DaveR
    Apr 29, 2009
    A great blend of Calvino-styled fiction with amazing puzzles. The moments of discovery in this game are some of the most powerful moments I've had playing any game.
  92. KaramjeetK
    May 23, 2009
    Wow, best puzzle game I've ever played. Super original and a unbeatable deal for 15 bucks.Some of the puzzles are hard, but you'll be glowing with pride once you figure them out.
  93. RyanB
    Jul 24, 2009
    Very few games deserve 10, which should be left for those certain games which you cannot find any flaws. Braid was one of the first games I'd actually give a 10 to. The story was poetic and compelling, the graphics are spot on, the gameplay is incredible, and the puzzles are some of the most well designed I'd ever seen. My actual score would be something like 9.6 or something. Very few games deserve 10, which should be left for those certain games which you cannot find any flaws. Braid was one of the first games I'd actually give a 10 to. The story was poetic and compelling, the graphics are spot on, the gameplay is incredible, and the puzzles are some of the most well designed I'd ever seen. My actual score would be something like 9.6 or something. The only flaws were minor. First, there are some puzzles (2) where you will lose a key and there is no way to know which door will work so you have to try it all over again. These puzzles are early on so when the tough challenges come around you are going to be annoyed so much. Secondly, the story although incredible is much too abstract and empty. Even through all the bonus puzzles in the final level you still don't get any clear picture of the metaphors presented. Thirdly, the hidden stars which are the hardest in the game to find are only there for the experts of the game. There is very little chance that you'll find one unless you look EVERYWHERE and even then prepare to try EVERYTHING to find them, they are very hard to find. I disliked there design because they were put in places which are just ridiculous. (Watch videos on youtube to find out) Aside from those minor problems the game is a treasure. The demo doesn't do justice to the rest of the game though, so I do recommend buying it! Expand
  94. chad
    Jul 26, 2009
    Briad is the best game I've played in a long time. The unique controls make it challenging without the frustrating exact timing requirements of many games. I gave it a 9 instead of a 10 simple because it was a little short. This game is money well spent.
  95. GeorgeD
    Sep 11, 2009
    Not quite what the hype would lead you to believe. It is an interesting game with several different variations on time control and platforming. The music is excellent but I found the sound effects to be quite poor in comparison. The detailed and stylistic art is beautiful and almost always a nice sight to behold. All in all the game falls short on value with fairly frustrating game play Not quite what the hype would lead you to believe. It is an interesting game with several different variations on time control and platforming. The music is excellent but I found the sound effects to be quite poor in comparison. The detailed and stylistic art is beautiful and almost always a nice sight to behold. All in all the game falls short on value with fairly frustrating game play that doesn't lend well to replay. At 15 USD I feel it is a bit overpriced for what you get. Expand
  96. KeeganB
    Nov 18, 2009
    If I had to convince a non-gamer that games can be beautiful, artistic masterpieces, and I could only give them one game to do so, that game would be Braid.
  97. Apr 20, 2011
    This game looks like an impressionist painting. You get to warp time in various ways to collect puzzle pieces and find your lost princess. I played through it in under 6 hours with a couple hints on how to collect certain pieces. There are 6 worlds, each with its own method of controlling time. I don't intend to play it again, but it's worth checking out especially if you can get itThis game looks like an impressionist painting. You get to warp time in various ways to collect puzzle pieces and find your lost princess. I played through it in under 6 hours with a couple hints on how to collect certain pieces. There are 6 worlds, each with its own method of controlling time. I don't intend to play it again, but it's worth checking out especially if you can get it for $5 like I did. If you get the steam version there are achievements you can collect for playing through the game plus one more for playing through it again more quickly. Expand
  98. Dec 27, 2011
    Braid (PC/Xbox360) Brief Review! (A-)

Braid (PC/Xbox360) Brief Review! (A-)

Braid is a game that appears to be a Mario style platformer. The art/depth/challenge factor of this game is extremely high, so it's like Mario for geniuses. One of the most challenging games I've ever played with a very interesting visual style and backstory, Braid is a relatively short but intense affair that will keep you playing until you solve it or want to toss your machine out the window. The main gameplay gimmick involves your ability to manipulate time, and this mechanic is used throughout the game to solve its puzzles. The impressionist art style, the highly debated story, and the incredibly soundtrack add a lot of extras. There are challenge modes and "hidden stars" for those who enjoy pain and punishment and want to get replayability. Game costs about $10 and is available on the 360 or on the PC Via Steam. Well worth it.

Here's the 1UP Review on the 360 version.

99. Jul 11, 2011
    Such a breathtaking and beautiful game. It is truly a work of art. The music and the graphics were stunning and genuinely emotive. Amazing to play and I loved it. I would really like to know what Jonathan Blow was trying to convey with the paintings and what the character was truly seeking/running from. Part of me wonders if it might be something sinister from childhood, judging by theSuch a breathtaking and beautiful game. It is truly a work of art. The music and the graphics were stunning and genuinely emotive. Amazing to play and I loved it. I would really like to know what Jonathan Blow was trying to convey with the paintings and what the character was truly seeking/running from. Part of me wonders if it might be something sinister from childhood, judging by the subject of the paintings. Expand
  100. Aug 17, 2011
    Very good Indie game. Graphics, sound, music, controls and story are all well made. Maybe a little over-hyped but definitely good game. And even though it's short, it's also cheap, wich is good since that's not the kind of game I want to play for too long as it can get boring after a while. So I think game lenght is also made right. The game ends before getting tedious. The timeVery good Indie game. Graphics, sound, music, controls and story are all well made. Maybe a little over-hyped but definitely good game. And even though it's short, it's also cheap, wich is good since that's not the kind of game I want to play for too long as it can get boring after a while. So I think game lenght is also made right. The game ends before getting tedious. The time manipulation feature is part of the game mechanic and essential to solve puzzles. There's nothing to compare to the "error correcting" time-rewind from Prince of Persia. And there's nothing that reminded me of any other game (Mario?... Donkey Kong?... had to be someone that don't actually play games to say something like that).

Worth playing.

1. 360 gamers were frothing at the mouth for good reason: it’s an instant indie classic.
    In an age when many games feel like clones of one another or are designed to be easy to beat, Braid sticks to its guns and delivers a rewarding and memorable experience that's definitely worth checking out. It's like an invigorating breath of fresh air, and proof that a handful of independent developers can create games that raise the bar for others.
  3. It doesn’t just copy a certain plumber’s early adventures verbatim like so many before it – some of them excellent in their own right – did, but seeks to plant the seeds of growth that the genre has lacked for so many years in showing that, by imprinting its own identity on a well weathered template, incredible things can happen.