8.7

1. Nov 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. How does this get so much praise?

This game overall is so laughably bad that I'm ashamed that it got a 90. The design is so bad it rivals Bubsy 3D. The concept of rewinding time is ruined by un-rewindable objects, and you never really truly need it unless you die. Yes there is a good puzzle in world 3, but that's it. MOST OVERRATED INDIE GAME OF ALL TIME.
  2. Jan 22, 2011
    Braid is like getting a beautiful present, and opening it to realize youâ
  3. Mar 26, 2013
    This game has a beautiful atmosphere and story. It really does. Unfortunately, I simply did not enjoy working my way through the various puzzles. I just found them to be so unbelievably tedious, and only managed to put about 2 hours into this before deciding to move on to games that I actually like playing.
  4. Dec 11, 2012
    The epitome of pretentious indie hipster games. There is a decent puzzle-based platforming game here but the ending really soured the whole game for me. PoP: Sands of Time did everything this game did but better and 6 years prior.
  5. Nov 20, 2013
    ‘Such an anti-climax.’

I purchased this game having gotten somewhat tired of the same old games I have been playing of late. Looking forward to a game that has achieved such formidable critical acclaim and what can only be described as one of the greatest, most innovative indie games to have surfaced in recent years. All I can say is what a huge disappointment this was and I would quite
    simply like to have my money back. Don't get me wrong, I loved the concept of time manipulation included in the game as a core mechanic... It mightn’t be the most original of concepts but still it was a nice core mechanic to fool around and play with. As I eagerly encompassed my very first (and last) play through I quickly became mesmerised by the stunning visuals and the painterly stylistic design. Its touching (if not a little clichéd and pretentious) plot leaves much to be desired but is thankfully saved by its storytelling execution as it slowly unfolds and is told in such a captivating and beautiful manner. What I did take away from Braid that will undoubtedly leave its mark is of course its enchanting score. This however for me didn't save it from the puzzle based platforming tediousness and repetitiveness that soon followed and engulfed my enjoyable (at first) play through. For me the monotonous challenge invoked in this game soon lead to frustration which in turn created an unwillingness and lack of desire to continue and carry on with my progress. Who would have guessed trial and error could cause such anguish and misery. It is a wonderful accomplishment in some respects and I applaud the game’s developer for what he has created, but to blindly call this overhyped and incredibly overrated game a masterpiece is to insult the many other praiseworthy indie titles out there. Expand

1. 360 gamers were frothing at the mouth for good reason: it’s an instant indie classic.
    In an age when many games feel like clones of one another or are designed to be easy to beat, Braid sticks to its guns and delivers a rewarding and memorable experience that's definitely worth checking out. It's like an invigorating breath of fresh air, and proof that a handful of independent developers can create games that raise the bar for others.
  3. It doesn’t just copy a certain plumber’s early adventures verbatim like so many before it – some of them excellent in their own right – did, but seeks to plant the seeds of growth that the genre has lacked for so many years in showing that, by imprinting its own identity on a well weathered template, incredible things can happen.