5.8

1. Feb 3, 2011
    What does Breach offer you for your $12?

It offers you something that many other $60 games fail to achieve. A solid and deep multiplayer experience that people will be playing for years to come.

Back in the day a small indie game called Counter Strike launched from a modded half life engine. The orignal game was filled with bugs and isses... but yet it grew to be one of the biggest and
    most popular online games to date.

Right now Breach is looking fit to repeat that process. Most of the low reviews you see here are due to a bit of a rocky start for the game. A few teething problems for a very small number of people is unfortunate. However - one week in and a patch is already out fixing many of the main issues.

The online lobbies are crammed with players who are getting increasingly better at the game. Each round online is challenging and fun. The built in character upgrade system where exp earned ingame can be spent on new equipment is well balanced and highly addictive.

My advice for anyone on the fence is to grab this game now while the skill level online is still not too high. Learn the ropes. Give the game time - as you need time to get good at this game - and it will certainly grow onto something that you cannot put down.

The sniper class in this game is one of the most satisfying to play in any of the fps titles i have played in the last ten years. The destruction physics are more than just eye candy. They have been carefully modeled by military specialists and provide a serious tactical advantage if you know how to use them in your favor.
  2. Feb 3, 2011
    Breach is a surprisingly great downloadable title. In an era dominated by arcade military shooters, such as Call of Duty and Medal of Honor, you would think there is little room for an independent modern warfare shooter. Thankfully, Breach takes a different approach to the genre, going back to the more tactical, slower paced battles that made older FPS games so great.

The first thing
    that caught my attention is the slower pace of the game. Many modern military shooters have turned into run-and-gun titles, often waving aside the need for planning and tactics. In Breach, players are forced to move methodically through the map and make good use of cover. Sprinting around willy nilly will result in a very quick death.

Breach achieves this slower pace by altering some key mechanics. The standard health bar is brought back into action instead of regenerative health. Players are no longer bullet sponges. If you get shot and somehow survive, you deal with it. There is no magic healing once you find cover. This forces the user to slow down and become more aware of their environment, knowing that a wrong move is likely instant death. Additionally, there are quite a few open spaces within the maps, making them a great playground for snipers. You can try running around in the open if you like, but it probably will not end well.

Do not get me wrong though. This is not a game where you turtle around either, taking an hour to get from one side to another. There is still quite a bit of action going overall. You only have a limited time to get objectives taken care of, so it becomes a balance of patience and urgency, knowing when to make the right moves.

The game offers five different gameplay modes that you would expect most shooters these days to have. There is your standard team deathmatch, convoy (escort mission), infiltration (capture and hold), retrieval (capture the flag), and sole survivor. There is the addition of a hardcore mode, which is what makes this game truly come alive. This removes your crosshairs, hud, and essentially forces you to pay attention to all that is going on. Overall, the gameplay is decent and engaging. It is what you would expect from your standard shooter, only a bit less forgiving than other similar titles.

The mouse controls started out on the iffy side, but they have since been patched up by the developers, feeling very tight and spot on. The original sluggish feeling is completely gone. The only other issue is sometimes I am unable to attach myself to a wall immediately after leaving it, which has resulted in a few silly deaths, but overall it has not been a major issue.

The biggest selling point though for Breach is that of destructible environment. Since the game was announced, this has been the prominent feature displayed to the public. Here, you can destroy walkways, bridges, walls, small buildings, and chip away at larger structures. The game does a decent job in succeeding at this. I have had to relocate often due to losing key cover, and I have often cut off paths from the enemy by destroying certain walkways. Then there are the moments where you breach through a wall with your team, surprising the other and wiping them out completely.

However, this feature is still not fully fleshed out at this time. While you can destroy structures, you cannot destroy smaller trees that may be in your way. When it comes to breaching a concrete wall, you can only do so in specified places. This keeps some maps fairly predictable, primarily those with tunnels and only two breach points at each end. So while the destructible environment exists, there are still some limitations that can provide for some minor frustrations.

As for the visuals of Breach, they are nothing spectacular. The graphics are below that of many other modern military shooters, but they are by no means terrible either. They are of a decent level. Personally I have had little issue with the graphics, other than they seem a little washed out or bland at times. There are currently some glitches with the animations regarding cover though, but these are being patched out as we speak.

One of the bigger disappointments with Breach is the audio. I have little idea what these weapons sound like in real life, but going by my own assumptions, they sound very underpowered. There is little satisfaction when firing them, and they could be much improved. There is also a peculiar issue with footsteps. I have not seen any other complaints about this as of yet, but personally, my footsteps always sound slightly at a distance. This is fairly distracting, as I keep thinking it is an enemy trying to sneak up on me. The audio could use a little more work, in my opinion.

Overall though, despite some shortcomings, I find myself enjoying this title. It is rough around the edges, but the slower and methodical game pacing is very attractive to me, and a great throwback to older FPS military shooters.
  3. Feb 3, 2011
    Connectivity
    The 360 version had MAJOR lag issues. I couldn't connect to matches, stay in a match, but the short time I did get into a game it was a lot of fun. The PC version on the other hand ran a lot better. I was able to get better connections but still had issues. The PC version got a better dedicated server over the weekend and since then I have had 0 lag issues.

Gameplay
    Do NOT
    buy this expecting something that will tear you away from CoD, BC2, or any other shooter....you will be disappointed. This game isn't fast paced like those games...it's got more of a Counter Strike feel and pace. The 4 maps (1 night version of a map is included too) are pretty big, and while playing in a full 8v8 server things can get a bit hectic, but you can always get away from the fight if needed. The problem I run into is when I enter a 4v4 server or 5v5.....the maps are just too big for those amounts and there is no scaling to take care of it. Its usually only a problem in TDM gametypes with campers/snipers though........and on that note, this game favors the sniper rifle. If you can snipe, then this is the game for you. Most TDM games I've played are sniper fights, which can be really fun, but I know that is not some people's cup of tea. The active cover system helps balance that though. As rifleman can keep in cover while they dodge sniper bullets and use blind fire to kill them. Just don't expect to run at them like in CoD to take them out.....also never count on the knife for anything in this game.

Game Modes
    TDM as I said usually turns into a sniper fight. It goes to 50 kills and while it doesn't do anything special or different from other games, it is still fun.
    There is a retrieval gametype where you try to grab a canister and plant it on the other team's side of the map. All of the maps are set up very well for these you get this side I get the other team modes.
    Infiltration is your standard domination gametype. This one is a LOT of fun with the destruction aspect of the game. Blowing out walls to surprise anyone puppy guarding the control point is a blast (haha).
    Sole Survivor is a no respawn gametype.....pretty much everyone hides and it can get drawn out....but its a nice, short, gametype.
    Convoy is the best though. You either escort or try to destroy a couple of hummers and there are roadblocks to blow up too. The back hummer has a triple shot 'nade launcher that just decimates buildings where the attackers hide but is balanced since you are a very easy sniper target.

The Destruction
    It's satisfying...but when you look closely at it....it could be a lot better. There is nothing better than taking down a wall and surprising the enemy inside, but just looking at the destruction part, it falls flat. If you start a private game just to blow crap up you'll notice that concrete floors and certain pillars can't crumble. Also the ground doesn't deform and trees don't fall. The best part of it though are the shacks that make great sniper traps. Snipers love those shacks and if they get on a tear they rarely move from them...so find an RPG and take that sucker down in a heap of wood.

Gadgets/Perks
    The gadgets in this game are pretty awesome. You can get sticky grenades or a vest to begin with, and as you level up (every 2000? 2500? XP) you get more to buy (with XP). There's a sonic imager that can let you see through walls, proximity mines, and my personal favorite, Sniper IR detector. Snipers show up with a lens flash on your screen when they are looking through their scopes kinda like Far Cry 2.....very VERY helpful.
    The perks are nice too, but useless when you unlock and buy BadAss. It doubles XP but halves your health....which doesnt matter much in hardcore games (which I usually play). There is also a sprint for longer, throw 'nades farther, more ammo, faster ADS & Reload, and an agility perk that evidently lets you move as fast as CoD.
    Weapons are unlocked by getting 2000XP and then 3000XP in a certain class. So for snipers, once I earn 2000Xp in that class I unlocked the 2nd sniper rifle, then after another 3000XP I earned the .50 Cal.

Overall
    This game was well worth the $12 I spent on it and I would be very happy at the normal $20 price point as well. However the 360 version seems to be having issues right now with servers that match you up with people in Europe. The community team at the official forums are on the ball (kind of like Marcus was here with NBA Live) and rushed out the dedicated server fix for the PC version in 3 days. An update is impending for the 360 version, so if your only choice is XBLA....wait to see what the update does to the lag issues. A lot of reviews that reviewed gameplay before the release were very positive, ~8/10 range, so the good game without lag is there, but the reviews and public response post-release have been 5-6's because of the connectivity issues.
  4. Mar 8, 2011
    First off, I have played this game for quite a bit, 18 hours exact. The game is fun, but you have to play over 10 games to really get into it. I give it an 8 because its fun, but it takes a while to really get into. As for the bugs and glitches, most of them are fixed with a few small patches, and can be easily avoided by using the server browser filter. I believe that the game was well worth my money for 18+ hours and I still play it off and on. If you are willing to give the game a chance then you should buy this game as it is very cheap. Expand
  5. Feb 6, 2011
    For a $15 dollar download-only title, Breach is a remarkably deep and well designed tactical shooter. As the shell of what could have been (Six Days In Fallujah, developed by Atomic but unable to be published due to Iraq war controversy), Breach creates a comfortable niche for itself in a market filled to the brim with first person shooters. Upon first playing a round of Breach, the average gamer will most likely feel frustrated, and very unfamiliar with the slower pace and methodical gameplay that is neccesary to succeed in this game. With a cover system akin to the R6 Vegas series and a unique environmental destruction system (that in some ways rivals bad company 2), Breach blends the best of tactical first person shooters we've come to love, while combining the pinpoint accuracy and twitch style gameplay of, say, Counter Strike. I cannot stress strongly enough how much the games release state influenced the current reviews on this site. As of the date of this writing (7 February, 2011), Atomic has already released 2 patches in the 13 days since the games release (26 January, 2011). Unlike most early patches these days, these updates actually FIXED 99% if the lag and server issues present on release. For a small team working with limited resources, Atomic should be commended for their ongoing support of the community and game.
    In all, I recommend Breach to fans of more tactical games such as R6 Vegas, Ghost Recon, America's Army, or the Battlefield series. Also, the Coutner Strike source crowd will enjoy the competitive nature and tactical gameplay of Breach. For those who are seeking an ultra-realistic experience like Arma 2, this same competitive feel may ruin the sense of battlefield-simulation that Arma's multiplayer provides. For me, Breach has become my new favorite game, and I have a good feeling that it will be around for a long time.
  6. Jan 27, 2011
    An interesting looking game ruined by a very badly ported menu system, amazingly badly designed multiplayer browser (Why on earth would you ever want it to sort all the FULL servers to the top by default? Why can't you hide full or empty servers? Why can't you sort by player count? Why does it notify all your Steam friends that you joined a game every time you click a server?) and surprisingly poor networking (for a multiplayer *only* game!) Of the 30 servers I attempted to join during my 20 minute play time, I managed to get into 4. 3 of them lost connection after the first shot was fired, and the last one somehow managed to give me a brief 2 minute run where I was the only player moving, and none of the guns worked.
    Eager to see if I had wasted £7.99 and half an hour of my life, I made my own server, and spent 5 minutes blowing holes in everything. It was fairly satisfying, and looks like something I would want to play, if it actually worked.
    Overall:
    Graphics 6/10 - The textures were fairly high quality, but the lighting was naff which made every scene look terrible
    Interface 1/10 - None of the standard keyboard shortcuts worked, and the server browser was terrible. However, all of the buttons appeared to do what they should so it has a point in it's favour.
    Gameplay 7/10 - I like blowing holes in things.
    Multiplayer 0/10 - It DID NOT WORK AT ALL.
    Overall: 1/10 - Great features that were impossible to use.
  7. Feb 3, 2011
    If you're looking for a quick-scoping, rush-fest, CoD-clone... walk away now. If, however, you're looking for a fun tactical shooter like Counter-Strike with an active cover system, some destroyable scenery, ranking and unlocks for under £10 then you've come to the right place!

There *are* still a few issues with the game but the devs are working hard and, more importantly
    communicating with the community to keep everyone up to date with the progress. However, even with the issues that remain, the game is fun and has some refreshing additions to the usual FPS war.

If the devs continue to support this game in the same manner they have done so far, this game will go far. And if they allow the community to mod/map for the game, it will be around for some time to come... after all, Counter-Strike is still going strong after over 7 years and both Counter-Strike and Counter-Strike Source still occupy both of the top spots on Steam almost every day! (just take a look at http://store.steampowered.com/stats/ ).
  8. Feb 3, 2011
    What you get currently from buying Breach (Beginning of February 2011) is a basic yet solid concept of a multiplayer game that could eventually become one of the greats (Think Counter Strike)

I think of this game as being a cross between Bad Company 2 and Counterstrike; with the gritty team based combat of Counterstrike mixed with the more dynamic features such as the destruction engine
    of Bad Company 2.

When I first started playing I was unsettled by the idea of active cover as it had been a long time since I had played a game using a cover system, but after playing for a while it really begins to lend well to the idea of playing as a team which covers each otherâ
  9. Feb 6, 2011
    It's a good game, you just need to fit in it, but from the very beginning it remembered me a fantastic game I loved: America's Army. I spent 3 years in a clan o games like these and for sure Breach is a technical and tactical game. The best part of it will probably comes out with two organised and collaborative teams playing against each other. Not it's the beginning and the servers are full of people trying to orient theme selves, learn the maps and get used to the interface.
    Speaking of interface, here comes out some defects, that I'm sure they will fix them:
    - even if you are on a PC with keyboard and mouse with camera speed set to minimum, it's just too fast and unmanageable (with a sensation you are using a game pad). You have to manually open breach.ini and set input multiplier to 1 (it was at 4). - the sound of your character's steps is confusing, every time is like there would be 2 soldiers walking and it's impossible to understand if and where there's an enemy approaching.
    - in game you can't select the side (blue or red) if you want to switch to play with a friend (or is very hard to find ...I couldn't).
    Good things:
    - it's a fantastic simulation and shooting with the weapons is amazing
    - very good the feature of XP points (as in America's army) that unblock weapons and make you stronger I think. - nice idea too the fact that if you kill a more experienced player you gain more XP
    If you liked Counter Strike or America's Army you have to buy it, give it a chance and support it...so that we can get more maps and play better.
  10. Feb 6, 2011
    When I watched the trailer I got really excited about the game, and it was really cheap which is always awesome. I cant complain about the intense action in the game that is really enjoyable and the action cover system is terrific and adds a special touch to the game since you don't really see this in many fps games. The ability to decide which model you want for a specific class was pretty fun, but I was kind of disappointed about the fact that it was few models to choose between (I love games where you can customize the character, even if it is to a certain degree). And the destructable environment was just awesome. Some downsides were the fact that it wasn't too many servers with a good ping (although my location might play a role in this since I live in Sweden and the servers might be located across the Atlantic) which led to me not being able to play as much as I want to. One thing that almost made me give up on the game was the mouse smoothing, it gave me the feeling of being "Bambi on ice", but I learned how to disable this and this improved my game experience alot. In short:

This game is worth your money since its cheap and it delivers most of the things that those expensive war games does, such as Call of Duty and Battlefield. And it will work on most computers!
  11. Feb 11, 2011
    For under $15, Breach seems to have a lot of potential. It does not feel like a "wanna be" anything, but more of a mix of a few different aspects of good FPS gaming. First off, it's simple FPS action, something a lot of gamers find refreshing at times. Just about anyone should be able to hop in Breach, figure it all out, and start having fun in no time at all. There is not a lot to get in the way. Second, it offers surprisingly destructible environments, something many gamers got used to in game like Battlefield Bad Company. Breach does not offer anywhere near the level of eye candy as BC2's Destruction Engine, but it is still quite impressive and adds a nice level of gameplay and strategy not found in many other games. The games cover system also allows you to take cover behind walls, structures, objects, and more. Something that is often not found in many popular fast paced multiplayer FPS games, at least not at this level. The game also offers a nice mix of games modes and classes based on the classics most of us are used too. Not a whole lot of weapons to choose from right now, but that could very well change. There are some interesting and fun "gadgets" you can get to help you in battle. One of the most impressive features is that the game offers all this, and more, at such a low system requirement when compared to other games. Some of us may have high-end gaming systems, but not everyone does. Breach gets an 8 out of 10 from me because I think this game has a lot of potential. It's fun to play, is able to run dedicated servers, and is just simple FPS action. Not a lot of frills and fireworks, but a lot of game none the less. The only things stopping me from pushing it to a 10 is the limited weapons and content the time of this review. The game is new, and these may very well change. The level of content at release is still more than adequate to have a lot of fun and give you something to strive for. However I do fear that if more is not released at some point down the road, or opened up to user content, the game may very well die off far sooner than it has to. All in all, Breach is a good game, definitely worth the small price tag. Expand
  12. Feb 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Breach is really a good game. I like how you can hide behind obstacles and walls and how you can destroy it. Some users say its a counterstrike-wanna-be...Did you ever play it? I am a cs fan too but breach is totaly diffrent. It's a fair price for 12-15euro/dollar. .. Only thing that's stupid about this game are the few very small bugs but they arent 'killing' the gameplay. Expand
  13. Feb 17, 2011
    I bought this game thinking that the Physx hardware accelerating was gong to produce some amazing visual explosions. Sadly the maps are unimaginative and very bland. The draw of the game is that the whole environment is destructible... this is false... only the buildings are. The screenshots look amazing but the game looks nothing like this.. at least on the PC. I also tried playing with Nvidia's 3d Vision and found a lot of rendering depth errors, despite Nvidia's stamp of approval as a "meant to be played on Nvidia" game. The movement is SLOW... these are crazy slow paced games that is based on camping the whole time. If you really want a great better looking game I recommend Far Cry 2. Expand
  14. Feb 2, 2011
    Not worth getting. Its a Counter Strike wanna-be. The movement and gameplay is crap, in my opinion.
    If only i could have played a demo before i bought the game, i wouldn't have bought it.
    Oh well. I learnt my lesson.
  15. Jan 29, 2011
    I must say that for everything it is, it's fun, but I don't think it's $12 or $15 worth of fun. I enjoy playing it, but putting it next to something like Monday Night Combat which is of equal value, it just doesn't stand up. No dedicated servers (AFAIK), one CTD, multiple load lock-ups (Alt+F4), and a menu layout designed for a console and never fixed during the port all weigh this game down and make it a shadow of what it could have been. The fully destructible environments are just that, and as such many RPGs are supplied to players, but most of these are just wasted on one unit kills and CQC combat. For being so realistic, the developers seemed to have forgotten that almost all explosive projectiles have a minimum distance they must travel before they are armed. All in all, just wait for this guy to go on sale for %50 off before you make your move (or possibly an indie pack), and stick with MNC if you're looking for something under $20 to play. Expand
  16. Feb 1, 2011
    First of all i want to say that breach is really funny to play. Most i like (and what i think is the only reason i bought it) is the fully destructible environment which makes the game more realistic and funny. The graphics are very nice (not up to date but nice) and at all the quality is very good.
    The game play could be better in some point but at least it's very realistic (i hate very
    unrealistic games)
    but sometimes i got very angry because i shot on somebodies head (who was behind a stone) and instead of him i hit the stone. A big pro is that you can use active-cover and shot without leaving it.
    Now to the interface: The interface isn't made for PC but rather for xbox. There are NO hot keys like escape to get back. You have to click all time -.- !!! It's quite good that you can unlock weapons and other stuff but this is nothing new (CoD, BF, ...). There aren't very much weapons and other but instead you can put more than one extra on a weapon( most of time). What me made disappointed was that there were only 5 maps( I hope they patch more next time).
    At least to the bugs: Sometimes the game shut down WHILE PLAYING or by loading. When the server changes the map while you are loading it won't finish loading and you have to restart (ALT+F4). There are no dedicated servers this time so many servers are lagging.

Result: I can recommend the for players which love realistic games with destructable environment I can't recommend this game for players which hate camper, lagging servers and very very much bugs (I hope it will be repaired -.- )

Hope i helped you ;)
  17. Feb 4, 2011
    Having played FPS online since the original Quake (and Doom before that via serial connection), I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly. Breach has had an ambitious release with an independent developer supporting PC and Xbox 360 versions simultaneously with limited resources. No release is without bugs and other issues, and Breach is no exception, but the uniquely satisfying play makes it worth the relatively little trouble.

The pace is slower and more tactical, without being glacial as in the older Rainbow Six games. "Active Cover" adds an incredible amount of depth to engagements, enabling someone utilizing it properly to easily take apart superior numbers of enemies that aren't. The level of polish suffers compared to big box releases, but it has it's own charm that I came to enjoy the more I played. Player models, hitboxes, and movement are all areas that will need some refinement as the game matures, but they are already well done for the most part.

I'm really enjoying the weapon customization, and the fact that you can't stack all the best upgrades on a gun at once. It takes some thought, and deciding what trade-offs you're willing to make. The first unlocked weapon for the Rifleman class makes you choose whether you want to fit the m203 grenade launcher, or an upgraded ACOG or red dot sight; you can't have it all. My only issue with customization at this juncture is the inability to modify loadouts without disconnecting from your current game.

All in all I've logged many hours on Breach since picking it up a couple days after release, and I'll be logging many more as this quickly becomes my go-to game.
  18. Feb 8, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Super jeu, Il manque des mises à jours minimes comme la gestion de l'AA. MAis je recommande.
    IL est possible de jouer à plusieurs modes de jeux comme TDM, Convoi, Survivant, Porteur de Bombe. Les maps sont riches et grandes, il me tarde d'en voir d'autre. N'hésitez pas, le prix en vaut la chandelle. dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
  19. Apr 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the best FPS that i could buy for fifteen bucks. It's not a Battlefield but i'm having hours of fun everyday. Of course you can't break everything down, but we can expect something like this on Breach II. The bad part is that we have few players. Believe me, if you want a cheap FPS game that requires some strategy, Breach is the one. We just need more players. Expand
  20. Nov 17, 2011
    This game had a lot of potential and the fact that it came from an indie team make it more alluring to me. Overall Breach is a good game that suffers in a few areas. The good - I love the concept of active cover. It was brilliantly done in this game and was a definite game changer for the strategy. The destructible buildings were very well done. It is just cool to be able to knock out a single brick in a wall to snipe from. The map were very fun and had plenty of choke points that could be exploited, but that could also be circumvented. The bad - low player based is what killed this game. No matter how good or bad a game is, without players, there simply isn't a game. The sounds for the guns in this game were just terrible. It is obvious that the persons responsible for sounds have never fired a gun in their life. Hit detection needs some work. While not horrible, it was often off too much to be considered accurate. I did like the game, but unfortunately the player base isn't there. Sad. Expand
  21. Jan 1, 2013
    literally one of the worst FPS's that I have EVER played. Everyone keeps saying all this crap about it being played for years to come but as of this moment not a single soul is playing it ( checked server list and player count). It's online play is laggy, controls are chunky and its graphics and destruction are weak. While building are at least partially destructible, NOTHING else is not even trees! I bought this game because it looked fun and I liked the base concept. After giving it some play time the only good thing I can find about it is the base concept. It was a great idea, just not well done. Expand
  22. Feb 12, 2011
    utterly half-arsed in every conceivable way. utterly half-arsed in every conceivable way. utterly half-arsed in every conceivable way. ("Your review must be at least 150 characters long.")
  23. Jan 24, 2014
    This game has been removed from steam for being too buggy and unplayable. If you find it somewhere, do not buy it. I gave this one a decent midrange review and whatnot but now you can't even play it, so avoid if you find it.
  24. Feb 22, 2011
    Just bad. The mouse sensitivity is terribly fast, even on the lowest sensitivity settings. The graphics make this look like a game from 2005, and the sounds are very generic. If you want a realistic, destructive, and fun shooter, stick with Bad Company 2. Don't waste money on this crap.
  25. Mar 3, 2011
    Breach is total and utterly boring. I played for a bit on the computer. SO im basing my review on that. I didn't even pay for it thankfully. My friend got it for me with a gift on steam. Its game play is generic. It feels like a bad watered down Battlefield BC2 game. Theres not much good at all i can say about breach. Its brought nothing new to the table and isnt even that fun to play. All the people posting a 2 or better are people who have probably never played any good fps games like Golden Eye(n64) counter strike, or modern warfare 1... Expand
  26. May 4, 2011
    So what is Breach, breach is a first person shooter with some great concepts and in theory, should be a runaway success for Atomic games, but sadly this is in no way the case.

Breach is a FPS with a nice little twist to it, everything is destructible. unlike the bad company series, in breach the destruction is so good that you can shoot out a single brick to peer through. sadly this is
    the PC version and does not execute this very well on a lower end system (which is what i played it on).

Lets get this straight, when i buy a game i try my hardest to like it even when i know it's terrible, but in breaches case, it was just unacceptable. when i bought the game the first thing i noticed was 18FPS, as i said, i am using a lower end system but it can very easily run Bad Company 2 on the lowest and run well, breach doesn't even look that good, why is it so laggy.

secondly the controls are awful, mouse smoothing is compulsory unless you edit the .ini file, and this is probably the worst example of mouse smoothing i have ever experienced, with my sensitivity on 1 (yes the lowest) my gun was swinging around like crazy

For a multiplayer only game you would expect their to be fairly good servers right, well another let down. The game does support dedicated servers and from what I've heard the tool isn't that good because you have to leave the program open for the server t remain open completely defeating the purpose of a dedicated server in the first place. anyway, almost all servers run with the dedi tool, and sadly if you try entering one of these, you enter an infinite loading loop, so you can't play.

next the developers are reluctant to fix these issues and they are aware of them, they have known about the issues from the second day the game was out. four months later and all they hgave done is add Russian as a language... yay.

in conclusion, the game has some great concepts backing it up, it just can't deliver which is disappointing. i'm am sure that the Xbox version of this game is great but on PC it is bad, so bad that i was even able to get a refund (yes it is possible). if you have a super computer capable of launching rockets, this game will run at a nice 40 fps and you may enjoy it, until you get into a in infinite loading loop.
  27. Apr 26, 2012
    This game gave me some hope in the modern fps industry. Well it screwes up pretty bad. So the mechanics and the game were quite solid, even though the game was lacking stunning visuals like other games of the genre. And what you could play after the release was something that reminded me more of a beta then anything else. Also there were lack issues and it took kind of forever to unlock new weapons and modifications. greatest problem was the connectivity. Even dedicated servers were lagging like crazy. The feature to destroy buildings was pretty nice but not crucial to your success in any way. Also there bugs which just left some parts of the Buildings hanging in the air, where es the rest of the bulding was neraly destroyed. Also the community died out by now, so you won t find anyone to play with you. A sad example of how badly a good idea can crash and burn. Expand

1. Mar 31, 2011
    Buy it if you want to see Six Days in Fallujah someday. Though donating to Atomic Games directly would be less painful. [Apr 2011, p.71]
  2. Mar 21, 2011
    Breach combines most of the achievements across the genre in one very budget package. [Mar 2011, p.112]
  3. Feb 25, 2011
    Glitches can be fixed, but no patch can make Breach a deeper game. It takes a day or two to study it inside out, and come to a realization that you have wasted 15 dollars.