Breath of Death VII: The Beginning PC

6.3

1. May 20, 2012
    Very old school rpg that I liked until I lost about an hour of progress because I died and didn't bother to save. Hate losing progression and have not lost that much time in a game since my gamecube/ps2 days. Hopefully cthulu will be better
  2. Jan 9, 2013
    A very mediocre game especially compared to its peers. Graphics are poor, artworks laughably bad, gameplay is run-of-the-mill with very little innovation. 6/10 is for the retro style feel.
  3. May 12, 2012
    I was hoping that this would play similar to the early Ultima games. While the looks are there, the gameplay isn't. There's not a whole lot of depth. It does have some positives like game controller support and a very simplified user interface. Also the combat is nicely done. But if you are expecting an adventure along the lines of Ultima III, you won't find it here.
  4. Nov 18, 2012
    I've read some of the reviews. Yes - this is a Classic RPG. It is humorous, funny, original in some respects, yet certain design choices deter me from diving into this game with my head. Example: i hated early Final Fantasies. Why? Because i could put a book (or any other paper weight) on the SPACE key and let the game finish itself. Well, Breath of Death suffers from the sameI've read some of the reviews. Yes - this is a Classic RPG. It is humorous, funny, original in some respects, yet certain design choices deter me from diving into this game with my head. Example: i hated early Final Fantasies. Why? Because i could put a book (or any other paper weight) on the SPACE key and let the game finish itself. Well, Breath of Death suffers from the same ailment, with only two differences - you need to use a different Key (ENTER, in this case), and holding it doesn't work, so you need to be hitting it like a maniac in combat sequences. I don't want to say anything about the story: it is obvious that the language used in game is worthy of a writer, yet there is no story - and the reason is obvious: it is a parody and a homage (all in one) to Classical RPG, so a deep Story in this game would probably be spoiling it rather than giving something to it. Overall, a good effort and probably a learning experience for the developer. Respect. Awaiting more titles from you which are deeper =] Expand
  5. Dec 21, 2012
    Breath of Death VII is a parody of old school RPG's, no more, no less. The combat system has a somewhat unique combo system,but is otherwise quite standard, Where this game really shines though is in it's humorous dialogue and the way it constantly points out RPG cliches. While there is a back story and there is detail to the world, it's atmosphere isn't it's strong point. It's biggestBreath of Death VII is a parody of old school RPG's, no more, no less. The combat system has a somewhat unique combo system,but is otherwise quite standard, Where this game really shines though is in it's humorous dialogue and the way it constantly points out RPG cliches. While there is a back story and there is detail to the world, it's atmosphere isn't it's strong point. It's biggest appeal is simply in it's nostalgic presentation. Sure, it's only 7 or so hours long, but for a dollar that's pretty good value for money. If you enjoy old NES games, or just old school RPGs in general, this game is worth a look at. Expand
  6. Dec 8, 2012
    I'm always into rpgs, especially if they have good humour and try to be different, and Breath of Death is a really fun game to play because of these 2 simple reasons. The game plays like an old school rpg from the 8-bit era but plays more simply and doesn't try to be much expansive: for example, you can only have a weapon and an armor (no accessories), you have only potions with you andI'm always into rpgs, especially if they have good humour and try to be different, and Breath of Death is a really fun game to play because of these 2 simple reasons. The game plays like an old school rpg from the 8-bit era but plays more simply and doesn't try to be much expansive: for example, you can only have a weapon and an armor (no accessories), you have only potions with you and there's unfortunely no other dungeons to explore or secrets to discover; ot big deals but unfortunely has a lot of other flaws that if not annoying, they could be avoided. First of all, the combat, where you must be quick and kill your enemies in few turns since turn by turn your enemies will be stronger, and for that you have a combo multiplier where the higher, the more damage you do with your finishers: it's a clever idea but can make boss battles very hard, especially bosses who can heal right before the killing blow. The issue here is, the combat screen is totally empty of features (except for the enemies): there's no background, no images, no attack animations, NOTHING! I know this game is supposed to be a throw back to the 8-bit era but...even the first Final Fantasy had those! Not a really big flaw itself but to me it's just an unforgivable choice of development. The game also has a nice trick for the levelling: each level up gives you two choices to improve your character (usually you have 2 choices of the same skills or stat upgrades), and this feels very "new" and gives you a unique way to level up...however, a lot of skills won't be very needed because, in random encounters, you'll quickly go for attacks that reach everyone, which are a few, and for the boss you'll go for the most powerfull single attack, ignoring crippling or status attacks, sometimes even buffs,, which is a pity because you can learn a huge variety of skills but, since the enemies get strong by turn, and since you need to build up the combo multiplier (which can be also erased as quickly, by the way), you'll won't be using half of your skills. And for last, and that's probably very easy to predict, it's too short (I finished it in about 2 hours). It's at least cheap, yes, but the game had potential to be a very good game, if made with a proper length and cure: the story is good (strange to say, but it was original and had a very "grey" ending), battle is turn based with some nice additions to make it fresh (and turn based, even if old, is still solid and much more satisfaying. At least for me), it has a nice roster of characters, and there's even an explorable map! I loved this game but, as much as I loved it, I cannot give it more than 7 because of the flaws I mentioned, but since it's cheap it's definitely a game to check it out, no matter if it's too short. Enjoy it for the 2 hours it will give to you. Expand
  7. Jul 21, 2011
    Breath of Death is very good at what it is: an old-school parodic CRPG. Don't expect good level design, good story, or particularly engaging combat. But to a large extent, that's the point of this game. Everything is a hyperbolic representation of 8-bit RPGs.

Humour abounds, the customization at level up gives you a fair amount of choice in how you construct your characters, and the combat system is novel enough to not be *too* grating :)
  8. Apr 12, 2013
    It's a clever throwback to classic NES style RPGs like Dragon Quest. I enjoyed the humor, it was short but I wouldn't want it any longer. Regular price is like $3 for this and Cthulhu Saves The World, and it's worth the money. If you are interested in an old school jRPG that wont take up all your time, check this one out.
  9. Nov 4, 2013
    This game is an anachronism. Treasure is clearly marked (as apposed to forcing you to check every single square in the map like a lot of these kinds of games) to speed gameplay along, but you have to spend a significant amount of your time grinding if you want to get anywhere. Mana regenerates on it's own, and so does health at the end of every level, but consumables are a limited resourceThis game is an anachronism. Treasure is clearly marked (as apposed to forcing you to check every single square in the map like a lot of these kinds of games) to speed gameplay along, but you have to spend a significant amount of your time grinding if you want to get anywhere. Mana regenerates on it's own, and so does health at the end of every level, but consumables are a limited resource and you only get health potions (Nothing can increase your mana which will often be empty because mana regenerates slowly). Mana regenerating Checkpoints are also few and far between... Long story short, the game tries to be easy for casual gamers but is quite difficult in the resource management department, something you'd expect from a hardcore title.

So it tries to be a casual RPG AND a Hardcore RPG but fails at being either. It's hard to explain this game because it really is that directionless.
tbd

No score yet - based on 1 Critic

1. Oct 6, 2011
    Breath of Death VII: The Beginning is boiled with the same ammount of raw materials, according to the same recipe, by the same chef, and with the same love as the previous course Cthulhu Saves the World. This one is aiming at the same type of gamers, whom it will entertain with the same humour and gameplay. Nevertheless, you can clearly recognize these two titles from each other.