6.2

1. Dec 24, 2011
    A guy walks into a shop: "Hello, I'd like to buy a steaming pile of manure". Shopkeeper: "Ah, I have just the thing", quickly serving up a double pack of Breath of Death and Cthulhu Saves the World, "That's 89 pence please!" This game is just so bad, where do I begin? Well, I want my 89 pence back! I should have bought that hot chocolate instead... It's a game of hammering the A button on your gamepad for about 30 seconds whist not really looking at the screen, then getting a 10 second break, then repeat... kind of for eternity, or so it feels! Really? Yes, really. Oh come on it can't be that bad? Oh, how I wish... read on, Dear Adventurer, read on!... You can't explore for literally more than 10 seconds without having a combat encounter. All the combat encounters save for the boss fights are so ridiculously easy (on normal difficulty) that they are simply an exercise in using the default attack on the first creature for the first member of your team, using the default attack on the second creature for the second member of your team, and so on. As you have to do this every 10 seconds, after 5 minutes you can do it without actually looking at the screen! Still, it got the A button on my Xbox gamepad a good workout (before you nay sayers say "Xbox groupie who doesn't appreciate PC games", I don't own an Xbox, just the controller as it's the most compatible controller for PC games, and no I don't use it for FPSes!) And that is the game, that pointless combat, that IS the game! About 90 percent of it. The rest of the time is spent exploring (only you can't in any type of satisfying manner because after 10 seconds you've got the pointless button pressing combat again) some terribly badly designed maps (on roughly the same tech and inspirational level as Horace Goes Skiing - seriously that lost world of dinosaurs game on the Spectrum 128K had way, way better level design), following a story line that is so shallow it makes Jet Set Willy look like story telling genius, buying weapons and armour and levelling up which is all pointless because the combat is just so useless. Oh yeah, there are special skills and combo moves in the combat, but you don't need them except against Boss monsters so that's about 1 in 30 to 1 in 50 fights then. Oh, and Boss monsters are announced on the exploring map, which is nice because then you know to look at the screen during that combat! Stay away from this game the way you'd stay away from leprosy. If you just want to play an decent indie game, Bastion, Aaaaaaa A Reckless Disregard for Gravity and World of Goo spring to mind...amongst others. Expand
  2. Dec 11, 2012
    Really short and full of random RPG jokes, cliches, and game design choices. There's about 5 hours of gameplay here and the ending is an abrupt CONGRATS YOU SAVED THE WORLD PLAY AGAIN ON A HIGHER DIFFICULTY OR TRY TIME ATTACK. Sadly not much replay value and it feels like an actual numbered game, as if it's in the middle of a series or part of some "episodic" DLC series. I guess that was intended but it's still frustrating. I'd be more upset if the game wasn't so cheap. Expand
  3. Jan 9, 2013
    A very mediocre game especially compared to its peers. Graphics are poor, artworks laughably bad, gameplay is run-of-the-mill with very little innovation. 6/10 is for the retro style feel.
  4. Aug 4, 2011
    Breath of Death VII: The Beginning was the first Zeboyd game (Robert Boyd) that simply blew me away. A loving and dastardly humorous homage to early 8-Bit RPGs, it's certainly clever, but it's also a finely tuned role-playing game that's worth far more than the asking price. Cthulhu Saves the World is equally worthy, but don't overlook this true classic.
  5. Jul 19, 2011
    A retro game that does exactly what it set out on doing; mimicing a retro 90's RPG game. Right down to the absurdly high difficulty, slow manapoint regeneration and lack of a proper map. If you thoroughly enjoy 90's RPGs such as Breath of Fire and Lufia and still long for the days games were poorly designed, then this is for you. The story couldn't grip me as I found it hard to symphatize with an undead mute. The combat system, although authentic, has a few odd twists to it. Every round, the opposing monsters grow 10% stronger than they were the round before. This means that if you are fighting a very difficult boss, he will, at round 10, be twice as strong as he was when you first met him. This can result in certain bosses actually being twice as strong (or stronger) when you first encountered them, making defeating them such a daunting and frustrating task that you're likely to just give up. Which is what I did when a 7000 health boss suddenly ended up with full health after drinking a potion while at 230% strength. There is also a combo system in place that allows you to 'power up' certain special moves by performing regular moves. These special moves then inflict more damage than they normally would. Unfortunately, there is no way to directly (Only indirectly, through status upgrades) who moves first so you might occasionally burn through your stack of power-ups just because another character in your team moves first. Also, most of your attacks seem rather pathetic compared to enemy counter parts. Oh, and you can't alt + tab out of this game or use your mouse. Expand
  6. May 20, 2012
    Very old school rpg that I liked until I lost about an hour of progress because I died and didn't bother to save. Hate losing progression and have not lost that much time in a game since my gamecube/ps2 days. Hopefully cthulu will be better
  7. May 12, 2012
    I was hoping that this would play similar to the early Ultima games. While the looks are there, the gameplay isn't. There's not a whole lot of depth. It does have some positives like game controller support and a very simplified user interface. Also the combat is nicely done. But if you are expecting an adventure along the lines of Ultima III, you won't find it here.
  8. Nov 18, 2012
    I've read some of the reviews. Yes - this is a Classic RPG. It is humorous, funny, original in some respects, yet certain design choices deter me from diving into this game with my head. Example: i hated early Final Fantasies. Why? Because i could put a book (or any other paper weight) on the SPACE key and let the game finish itself. Well, Breath of Death suffers from the same ailment, with only two differences - you need to use a different Key (ENTER, in this case), and holding it doesn't work, so you need to be hitting it like a maniac in combat sequences. I don't want to say anything about the story: it is obvious that the language used in game is worthy of a writer, yet there is no story - and the reason is obvious: it is a parody and a homage (all in one) to Classical RPG, so a deep Story in this game would probably be spoiling it rather than giving something to it. Overall, a good effort and probably a learning experience for the developer. Respect. Awaiting more titles from you which are deeper =] Expand
  9. Mar 9, 2012
    This game is terrible. It is supposed to be a throwback to the old days and then it takes 2 hours to finish.
    I don't remember finishing a RPG on my superNES in 2 hours, ever. It used to be more like 20 minimum.
    Throw in terrible graphics and conventional gameplay, and you have one of the most overrated indie RPG of all. At least Cthulhu had some redeeming qualities but this one is just terrible.
  10. Aug 1, 2011
    It is very easy to summarize what this game is all about. Homage to the SNES era of RPG'S. Breath of Death VII is simply a homage to the classics. It's very witty and very well written parody that at times left me laughing out loud. The combat is familiar yet just different enough to keep things fresh. Leveling up is fast and easy, and your skills can be picked through a simple branching mechanic. It's not going to change the way we see RPG's, but if you miss the old days of SNES RPG's, then it's simple no brainer to pick this up. I got Breath of Death VII and Cthulu Saves the World for a total of $3 on steam. Totally worth every penny. Expand
  11. Dec 21, 2012
    Breath of Death VII is a parody of old school RPG's, no more, no less. The combat system has a somewhat unique combo system,but is otherwise quite standard, Where this game really shines though is in it's humorous dialogue and the way it constantly points out RPG cliches. While there is a back story and there is detail to the world, it's atmosphere isn't it's strong point. It's biggest appeal is simply in it's nostalgic presentation. Sure, it's only 7 or so hours long, but for a dollar that's pretty good value for money. If you enjoy old NES games, or just old school RPGs in general, this game is worth a look at. Expand
  12. Dec 8, 2012
    I'm always into rpgs, especially if they have good humour and try to be different, and Breath of Death is a really fun game to play because of these 2 simple reasons. The game plays like an old school rpg from the 8-bit era but plays more simply and doesn't try to be much expansive: for example, you can only have a weapon and an armor (no accessories), you have only potions with you and there's unfortunely no other dungeons to explore or secrets to discover; ot big deals but unfortunely has a lot of other flaws that if not annoying, they could be avoided. First of all, the combat, where you must be quick and kill your enemies in few turns since turn by turn your enemies will be stronger, and for that you have a combo multiplier where the higher, the more damage you do with your finishers: it's a clever idea but can make boss battles very hard, especially bosses who can heal right before the killing blow. The issue here is, the combat screen is totally empty of features (except for the enemies): there's no background, no images, no attack animations, NOTHING! I know this game is supposed to be a throw back to the 8-bit era but...even the first Final Fantasy had those! Not a really big flaw itself but to me it's just an unforgivable choice of development. The game also has a nice trick for the levelling: each level up gives you two choices to improve your character (usually you have 2 choices of the same skills or stat upgrades), and this feels very "new" and gives you a unique way to level up...however, a lot of skills won't be very needed because, in random encounters, you'll quickly go for attacks that reach everyone, which are a few, and for the boss you'll go for the most powerfull single attack, ignoring crippling or status attacks, sometimes even buffs,, which is a pity because you can learn a huge variety of skills but, since the enemies get strong by turn, and since you need to build up the combo multiplier (which can be also erased as quickly, by the way), you'll won't be using half of your skills. And for last, and that's probably very easy to predict, it's too short (I finished it in about 2 hours). It's at least cheap, yes, but the game had potential to be a very good game, if made with a proper length and cure: the story is good (strange to say, but it was original and had a very "grey" ending), battle is turn based with some nice additions to make it fresh (and turn based, even if old, is still solid and much more satisfaying. At least for me), it has a nice roster of characters, and there's even an explorable map! I loved this game but, as much as I loved it, I cannot give it more than 7 because of the flaws I mentioned, but since it's cheap it's definitely a game to check it out, no matter if it's too short. Enjoy it for the 2 hours it will give to you. Expand
  13. Jul 21, 2011
    Awsome retro RPG. The game is just like NES RPGs from back in the day, and pokes fun at them all day long. If you are an old school RPG fan don't mis out on this game. It is only about 6 hours long and comes in a pack for $3 so even if you don't like it you won't be out a bunch of money.
  14. Jul 21, 2011
    Breath of Death is very good at what it is: an old-school parodic CRPG. Don't expect good level design, good story, or particularly engaging combat. But to a large extent, that's the point of this game. Everything is a hyperbolic representation of 8-bit RPGs.

Humour abounds, the customization at level up gives you a fair amount of choice in how you construct your characters, and the
    combat system is novel enough to not be *too* grating :) Expand
  15. Apr 15, 2012
    I absolutely loved this game. It reminded me a lot of classic Dragon Warrior, which has always been one of my favorite series of all time. This game borrows heavily from that old-school combat style, but does make some pretty awesome advances over the classic structure, too. For one, if you are in one area for a long time, eventually you will not be randomly attacked by monsters anymore (there's a battle "limit"). You can still choose to fight from the menu though, which I thought was awesome. If you're going to be grinding, why waste the time running around waiting for a random battle? Just pick a fight yourself! Speaking of running, you can run. Much coolness. The monsters were a decent challenge for most of the game, but I'm certainly glad I grinded (ground?) a little bit before the jail level. Some of the monsters in there would be reDANKulous to a weaker character. I loved the humor of the game, and some of the music pieces were extremely well done. Some were hokey. The bosses were an interesting challenge as well. Especially Dragonduck, which I managed to defeat at level 31, thank you very much! The game is fairly short, but not really any shorter than the original Dragon Warrior was. All in all, this is an amazing deal at $3, which includes Cthulhu Saves the World (which I haven't tried yet). If you are a fan of old-school RPGs at all, support indie devs and buy this game! I actually ended up buying it for a few friends, who said they too loved it. Expand
  16. Oct 17, 2013
    Absolutely hilarious and yet also a really good game. A tribute to 8 bit RPGs that pokes fun at the problems and presents you with an anti-hero that you can truly love.
  17. Jan 31, 2014
    This game features some ugly (and that even by SNES standards) and uninspired graphics. Funny ironical storyline & -telling. Better play a 'Final Fantasy' episode on SuperNintendo!
  18. Mar 13, 2012
    A spoof of earlier RPGs and one that's fun to boot? I'm down with that. Definitely a good game, but it's got some issues that it needs to address. Still, all in all I'd say give this game a go, especially considering how low the price is for it.
  19. Jul 22, 2012
    Do you enjoy those classic 8-bit RPG's? Well this is definitely a game for you. There's not much more to say about this game. But, the story is indeed interesting.
  20. Aug 13, 2013
    Humanity should keep and enhance what was good in the past and discard the bad things, right? Well it seems that a lot of "self-proclaimed" game designers think the opposite. Take this game for example: keep a random encounters ratio of 10 monsters/minute, keep the non-existent interaction with the world, keep a simplicistic combat system (they weren't so simplicistic even back then) and discard good stories, nice graphics (the graphics of this game would have been considered amateurish at best on a super nes), gameplay, exploration, sense of wonder. Even for free this game would be a complete waste of time. think about it for a minute: life is short, there are thousands of games that deserve to be played and also a lot of interesting activities to do besides games. Why should you waste hours of your life playing a game that's empty and annoying? Just for a couple of (bad) jokes? Rather donate 89p to charity... Expand
  21. Apr 12, 2013
    It's a clever throwback to classic NES style RPGs like Dragon Quest. I enjoyed the humor, it was short but I wouldn't want it any longer. Regular price is like $3 for this and Cthulhu Saves The World, and it's worth the money. If you are interested in an old school jRPG that wont take up all your time, check this one out.
  22. May 29, 2013
    Simply put, this game is boring, and not even worth the 45p i payed for it. While this game does have SOME amusing jokes, they are few and far between. Cthulhu Saves the World, whilst being only marginally better than this, is more worth your time.
  23. Nov 4, 2013
    This game is an anachronism. Treasure is clearly marked (as apposed to forcing you to check every single square in the map like a lot of these kinds of games) to speed gameplay along, but you have to spend a significant amount of your time grinding if you want to get anywhere. Mana regenerates on it's own, and so does health at the end of every level, but consumables are a limited resource and you only get health potions (Nothing can increase your mana which will often be empty because mana regenerates slowly). Mana regenerating Checkpoints are also few and far between... Long story short, the game tries to be easy for casual gamers but is quite difficult in the resource management department, something you'd expect from a hardcore title.

So it tries to be a casual RPG AND a Hardcore RPG but fails at being either. It's hard to explain this game because it really is that directionless.
tbd

No score yet - based on 1 Critic

1. Oct 6, 2011
    Breath of Death VII: The Beginning is boiled with the same ammount of raw materials, according to the same recipe, by the same chef, and with the same love as the previous course Cthulhu Saves the World. This one is aiming at the same type of gamers, whom it will entertain with the same humour and gameplay. Nevertheless, you can clearly recognize these two titles from each other.