6.1

1. May 31, 2011
    If you liked Enemy Territory, avoid this game.

If you liked Enemy Territory, avoid this game.

I don't know what it wants to be but it certainly isn't working for pub playing. I spent 100s of hours in ET playing pub-only and had so much fun, but every single design decision in Brink seems to try to destroy pub playing. It SEEMS like anything and everything revolves around teamplay. That might be really great for clan players and competitive league gaming but it simply isn't working with 15 strangers on a server.

The problem is if your team is bad, you won't have fun. There is no way to move something as a single player. Why is that? Because the game pretty much keeps you alive as long as possible.

The weapons feel like a joke. If you loved the arcade-y feel of ET, don't play Brink. Unless you have all the powerups there are, command posts and the enemy has nothing, you don't really deal damage. It frequently takes more than a clip to kill someone. There is almost zero chance for you to win a gun fight vs. two people. That means a strong player can't really turn the tide. The guns feel incredibly weak most of the time. The recoil is horrible and random, I don't see how you can adapt to the pattern and get better (even when burst firing, mind you!) over time because there just is no way to predict the crosshair movement. Iron sighting or crouching doesn't seem to really affect the "precision" if you may even call it that.

All explosives are NOT meant to deal deadly blows. The regular nades or molotovs deal damage but it won't kill anyone, they rather get knocked down.

Talking about knockdown. You'd think sneaking up on an enemy and knocking him down gives you an edge but it rarely is. It feels like the enemie's crosshair immediatly jumps to you once you knock him down. Combine that with the low damage and even knocking an enemy down usually comes to a coin flip of who wins. Most of the time it's better to start firing right away.

The classes are mostly fun on their own but thanks to the fantastic design decision of not being able to change characters, you mostly can't adapt to the game. A lvl20 character has barely enough points to cover 2 classes. Another point that destroys pub gaming. In ET I was constantly switching classes to adapt, because it was fun AND helping my team. If you don't have a lvl20 soldier, you still can switch to that class but lack all the skills. No problem in clan play with designated classes, but it breaks pub gaming.

SMART was marketed as being awesome and fresh and stuff like that. In reality, it's boring, clumsy and slow. You won't avoid any battle using SMART moves because the time alone it takes you to pull up somewhere gets you almost killed off. Enemy Territory and almost any other id engine based game had way better trickjumping and it wasn't intentional nor was it marketed as such.

Right now we're on the 3rd (or 4th, I don't remember) patch since release. The game itself was unplayable in its release state and while most of the performance problems have gone, gameplay-wise nothing has really changed.

I could go on and on about the big and small flaws of Brink but my overall point is: This probably isn't the game you want to buy. If you loved Enemy Territory, ET:QW (from what I read, I haven't played it myself) - don't buy Brink, it's frustratingly worse than this simple, free game I used to enjoy.

The future of Brink doesn't look too good. There is a free DLC coming out soon, but at the time of writing, there were only about half a dozen servers with good ping and players on it, early evening. Most of the early adopters have already moved on and I really doubt the situation is going to be better.
  2. May 10, 2011
    It's not a perfect game, but hey not all games are perfect. The one thing I have the most hate for is the AI, and how derpy it is. I play on the highest setting and it still doesn't increase how smart they are or not.

For gameplay, I love TF2, which made me love this game all the more. Objective based games are probably my favorite. The one thing that I didn't really like is there was no post-game score. I am curious how I did in the game, but I don't want to keep pressing "tab" to see my score, I won't remember to do it after every game. Sure it's a bit buggy, but the game JUST came out, it'll get it's fair share of patches (Hopefully fix the derpy AI) but I believe this game is pretty good for my tastes.
  3. May 10, 2011
    All in all, I have to say I like it. The graphics are well done, the sound is spot on, the controls arn't horrible, and the gameplay is top notch. That being said, there are quite a few bugs that need to be worked out before I give it a 10. Sometimes sound will cease to work, sometimes there are graphical issues and freezing on menus. Also, there seems to be a bit more optimization onAll in all, I have to say I like it. The graphics are well done, the sound is spot on, the controls arn't horrible, and the gameplay is top notch. That being said, there are quite a few bugs that need to be worked out before I give it a 10. Sometimes sound will cease to work, sometimes there are graphical issues and freezing on menus. Also, there seems to be a bit more optimization on the 3d rendering code as Brink requires a top cost, hardcore, machine. Expect to be playing on default graphics settings until they work this out. My recommendation is buy this if you are chomping at the bit for a new FPS. If you arn't, I would wait until some of the kinks are worked out. Expand
  4. May 11, 2011
    Brink has a lot of potential, but has not even come close to matching it yet. I'll list a few points that you should really consider before buying it.

The Bad: -ATI Support, you WILL not experience good framerates with an ATI card unless you have very old drivers, my 5850 plays this game brutally even on low graphics -There is a known glitch right now that sound cuts out, thats right, you

The Bad:
    -There is a known glitch right now that sound cuts out, thats right, you will have NO sound. The only way to fix it is to leave the server. This affects everyone FYI
    -Lag: Incredible amount of lag right now, to the point you will very frustrated
    -Server selection: There's a filtering system that really doesn't work, so you see EVERY server
    -No pre-game lobbies, you join a server and thats it
    -No real good way to join a group of buddies and join the same team for a server
    -Graphics, they look muddled, not great
    -Movement is sluggish and even glitchy at times
    -IMO heavy guns are underpowered, I don't see heavy classes played very often due to this.
    -Engineer/Medic are going to be far more played than Soldier, and WAY more than the Op (which really sucks imo)
    -Virtually no in-game stats, at the end of a match you don't even know how well you technically did beyond points and "awards"

The Good:
    -Plenty of guns, plenty of different attachments for most guns
    -Lots of different combinations for customization, so your guy can look relatively different
    -Teamplay focused game

It has lots of potential, but honestly I may be waiting until they patch this sorry excuse for an online game. The bugs are literally so bad that I get annoyed after playing for a few hours. I have about 10 hours invested into the game thus far.
  5. May 10, 2011
    Brink is exceptional at numerous things. The gunplay at this early stage feels balanced, the Story is weighty and backed up by an impressive multiplayer. The unique art style is incredible for such low specs, and can utilise the 360 game-pad for those either with a bad case of arthritis, or seeking a more powerful x360 version on a PC. Whilst the are GOOD things to be exceptionalBrink is exceptional at numerous things. The gunplay at this early stage feels balanced, the Story is weighty and backed up by an impressive multiplayer. The unique art style is incredible for such low specs, and can utilise the 360 game-pad for those either with a bad case of arthritis, or seeking a more powerful x360 version on a PC. Whilst the are GOOD things to be exceptional at, there is a minor bug issue. Remember folks, this IS splash damage making the game here. It'll get patched Whilst that may frustrate gamers that the game is 'broken', it is most certainly NOT. Its immersive, impressive and intellectual. The SMART movement system works, with a minor error or two. Brink seems to stand out between the more modern blood fests of FPS's these days. It doesn't punish you for not pushing the correct button at the specific time, or feature ludicrous areas where player input has no effect. No, Brink is colourful, a great experience online, doesn't feature and abysmal singleplayer, and wait for it... It's Fun. That's all that matters. Is it a FUN game. Yes. It is.

(In case you can't read well, imagine BF:BC2 with Mirrors Edge agility, with the fun of TF2. A recipe for FUN)
  6. May 10, 2011
    Awesome game. Great artwork, smooth gameplay, focus on teamplay, SMART rocks... i really love it. I don't care that the KI is not that good or that there is no real singleplayer. This game has its focus on multiplayer/teamwork and that part is just brilliant.
  7. May 10, 2011
    What can I say, I love this game. Is it like any other game on the market? Bits from here and pieces from there. What is great about Brink is that it pulls in aspects from so many other games and puts it into an amazing package. Coming from a RTCW and ET background, no other game has come close to filling in the void that my first real game has created. Finally something has come to fitWhat can I say, I love this game. Is it like any other game on the market? Bits from here and pieces from there. What is great about Brink is that it pulls in aspects from so many other games and puts it into an amazing package. Coming from a RTCW and ET background, no other game has come close to filling in the void that my first real game has created. Finally something has come to fit the bill. What you have here is a team based game. Maps are driven by objectives instead of kills and each person is vital in some way to the success of the team. Add in fast movements and actual gunfights that don't end from a single bullet and you start to see what Brink offers. Definitely a great buy for me. Expand
  8. May 10, 2011
    This is the game I want for a long time. You would only like this game when you know what will be expected and how the game is to be played. Unique art style, customizations and abilities, objectives with different classes. In recent years, most FPS games released are just like clones to each other. I can't deny that COD: MW has made a forward leap in FPS genre. Yet, with its success, allThis is the game I want for a long time. You would only like this game when you know what will be expected and how the game is to be played. Unique art style, customizations and abilities, objectives with different classes. In recent years, most FPS games released are just like clones to each other. I can't deny that COD: MW has made a forward leap in FPS genre. Yet, with its success, all the other games start to copy its style. This is not the case for BRINK. No more TDM, no more one hit kills, replaced by team-based objective mode. In this game, skill of the player is not the paramount, but how the players work together for greater good. It Expand
  9. May 10, 2011
    This game is a welcome break from the shovelware FPS games that have flooded the market. Instead of just killing your opponents, the game is objective based. Supplying your team mates with ammo, weapon upgrades or health earns you just as many, if not more experience points. Capturing objectives, building obstacles for the opposing team and taking command posts are all important keys toThis game is a welcome break from the shovelware FPS games that have flooded the market. Instead of just killing your opponents, the game is objective based. Supplying your team mates with ammo, weapon upgrades or health earns you just as many, if not more experience points. Capturing objectives, building obstacles for the opposing team and taking command posts are all important keys to victory, if your team just goes in blasting and can't work together, you won't get anything accomplished. The parkour is fun and can be useful as well. On the down side, there are a number of bugs that will hopefully be patched (server and sound problems), and a few balance issues that could benefit from some retooling. I really hope more maps and other unlockables will be added in the future and the bugs ironed out, but otherwise it's exactly what I've been looking for. Expand
  10. May 10, 2011
    Like all new games, Brink has it's share of problems. However, most of these are already being worked on to be resolved. But we're not here to discuss the release bugs; we're here to talk about the game itself.

If you're looking for an experience similar to Call of Duty? This game will disappoint. If you're not a completely retarded fanboy, who loves team-based multiplayer mayhem, then Brink is most certainly a game you should be looking at getting.

The game play is solid as a rock. You're not going to become a 1-man army, as there are rarely any one shot kills, and certain objectives which must be completed to win a map can only be done by certain classes. No more planting or defusing bombs as a medic, like you see in Battlefield. Accomplishing goals can only be done through good team work, as does destroying your opponents, as the more fire you have on a target, the faster it goes down.

Splash Damage has even found a way to make an assist system that doesn't completely suck balls. Every other game with an assist system, requires you get past a certain damage threshold before you can be acknowledged for an assist, and ends up giving you less if you're not the one to finish the guy off. In Brink, all damage to enemies gains XP proportionally. If you do 75% of the damage to a guy, and one of your team mates does the other 25%, you, having done the most damage, get the most XP from it.

The game highly encourages team play, because as I have said, it is very much required. Say your team doesn't have any operatives, but you need to hack a console to proceed. You won't be needing to shout at your team mates to switch classes just to get **** down, since your objective wheel will give you an objective to change class, granting you XP when you do, making it a great incentive to change to a different class, even if it is your least favorite.

Everything in combat feels fluid and dynamic. You can jump, sprint, slide, climb, run on walls... And all while still being able to shoot your gun while performing any of these actions. It adds a lot to the depth of the game. Running across an open room and getting tore up? Just slide behind some cover. Sprinting down a hallway and run smack dab into a group of the enemy? Slide into them and knock 'em over like a bunch of bowling pins, then massacre them with SMG fire to their ugly faces. Enemy sniping you from behind cover? Toss a frag in there and knock him out of it, then give him a double tap to his nuts.

Don't trust the haters. If you had an interest in the game before the reviews, there should be no reason to assume you wouldn't like it now.
  11. May 10, 2011
    Brink is one of the best games I've ever played. The game has bits of some of the best games in the world and It's very own uniqueness such as the SMART system and the ability to create your own unique character
  12. May 12, 2011
    Brink isn't what people pretend it is. Brink has solid gameplay, but that's it. There's no real difference in playing one class or the other. All classes use the same weapons. Your objectives are different based on your class, but that's it.

The HUD is always so crowded with everyone's health and information, so being able to focus on the little blur that is the enemy on screen becomes a bit challenging when 99% of your screen is shouting, "HEY LOOK AT ME!"

The gameplay works, the SMART works, the customization is downright BEAUTIFUL! But the fun I had while playing it was severely limited due to little differentiation in classes, repetitive objectives, a bland story, and annoying habits the game would do.
  13. May 10, 2011
    I waited and had this game preordered the first chance I could get my hands on it. I've been waiting and waiting for so long for a new fresh game to come and brink is truly that. Brink brings a HUGE mix of previous games into play and gives it own style. If you enjoy any of the following: TF2, CSS, BF2, BFBC2 you'll find some part of Brink to enjoy.
    Brink is a lot of fun with their
    Brink is a lot of fun with their S.M.A.R.T. system, and you can get some pretty cool combos going once you are running around. Leveling and ranking up in the system is not hard ANYTHING you do in the game counts towards your XP, so if you play offline, it counts, online it counts, you want to farm bots all day and night long and just power level, it counts.

So single player/solo play is a lot of fun, but multi-player is what this game is designed for, and its also designed to play with your friends that have it. So here is the current issue and reason why I gave it a 9/10, is the fact that on launch day they've been hyping up dedicated servers for PC, and I help a game community run servers, nothing makes me more mad and annoyed than a company releasing a game with nonfunctional dedicated servers. Now there are SOME people I've seen been able to get them up and running, but there are so few servers online working it makes it almost impossible to join one without it being full or the host shutting it down because of lag or boredom who knows.

Now I can only hope that Splash Damage will fix the dedicated server issues and also address and fix the local hosting ability for people so we can play with our friends those of us who don't wish or have the ability to host a dedicated server or want to rent one from a GSP.

All in all, if you are looking for a game to play, I'd highly suggest thing if you are willing to suck it up with some online play issues and hope that the dev. (Splash Damage) will in the next couple days/weeks fix these issues. This game is really meant for online play and its a disappointment not to have that ability on release night/day.
  14. May 10, 2011
    Spoiler:--"Brink=>Multiplayer":--Spoiler. Think that those who are disappointed with Single Player mode of the game didn't watch a single one of the 1,214,634,372 Brink videos before the game's published. Also i know that they believe Black Ops is a better game than the Bad Company 2 because that the BC2 has a rubbish Single Player mode. What a pathetic group of people.
  15. May 10, 2011
    I played it. It's not as good as I hoped (the objectives are stupid--just walk up and hold down a button). But honestly COD has some REALLY STUPID stuff about it too. Like AIRSTRIKES in FPS Multiplayer! You don't put AIRSTRIKES in a competitive MP FPS game--it's not competitive FPS-wise. Brink reminds me of team fortress 2--i have not played tf2 but I saw a bit of video.
    I like Brink. I've
    I like Brink. I've only played single player offline. The computer is not that smart, but it's playable. I'd give it a 8/10 for now. If the graphics gets fixed to high-end PC standards, I'd give it an 9/10. Offline. I have not tried online yet.
    Really, the graphics look dated in actual gameplay. I already know PC will rule in graphics unless there is some kind of bug keeping the 360 from showing the graphics properly. Brink is supposed to have superb graphics and so for I only see that in the gun selection screen. Blame the limited 360 or a bug,--if it is a bug. Sad. Graphics affect the 'feel' of a game. It's all about sight and sound.
    The levels don't have as much verticality as I thought they would. It feels like BC2 but you can climb stuff. And yes, you do get stuck where you have to jump over things or climb a certain way. Not as in a glitch. As in, you cannot climb a corner-ledge in this one level. To climb you have to be facing head-on. As a medium or heavy you cannot run very fast. Feels like BC2 in the walking/running. A light weight can run a bit faster and climb better. You can run fast enough to escape, but not as fast as a 'parkour' or 'freerunning' game would inspire.
    Some of the guns don't feel 'heavy'. There really is no recoil except for sniper rifles. There is bullet spread. I see Brink as a game a certain group of people will enjoy--like the group that plays TF2. If it works online without the recently mentioned lag it will be decent (if they fix the graphics). It's just not what it was said to be. The levels often have small choke points! They should feel huge! I am ready for Next-gen gaming. Maybe I'll build a new PC...
  16. May 10, 2011
    Day 1 and they already got game destroying bugs, wow. Apparently they didn't even bother to test their servers/steams servers/whoever runs the servers for the game (based on the games forum), pretty much everyone is having a "Server Not Responding." issue when trying to join a game with a friend (coop), from what I've seen/heard, the support for this issue is "Deal with it". TheDay 1 and they already got game destroying bugs, wow. Apparently they didn't even bother to test their servers/steams servers/whoever runs the servers for the game (based on the games forum), pretty much everyone is having a "Server Not Responding." issue when trying to join a game with a friend (coop), from what I've seen/heard, the support for this issue is "Deal with it". The "120,432,530,020" ways to customize your character was obviously a lie (who thought that was true?), it's really just about ten suits you can customize the color of and about 30-40 guns in total that can have parts swapped around on (aka, different sights, magazines, grips, etc) I've played through the first six missions in about... 3 hours, completed all the "challenges" that unlock extra scopes, magazines, all that stuff, and I'm fairly sure that its campaign is made up for 8 maps that get played from both factions perspective based on what side you choose. Slightly confusing at first if you come from FPS games that you can kill someone in one or two bullets - you need about half a clip in this one, maybe it's just because almost every gun is a submachine gun *cough* --- If you've ever played Enemy Territory: Quake Wars (another splashdamage game), you honestly don't need to buy this, ET:QW is far cheaper. BRINK is NOT WORTH 49.99, maybe 20, 30 if you're desperate for something new, not really anything new though... "SMART" system is interesting and annoying at the same time, it's so angle dependent on whether it activates or not that it may get you killed in a split-second-choice situation. It's actual "campaign" really is a copy of ET:QW, it gives you a 20-30 second intro movie for each map, then drops you into the game and tells you to go change to X class, go assault/defend/destroy/hack/whatever Y, rinse & repeat for the entire "campaign". The games AI is generally poor in terms of Support, Combat Effectiveness is lacking, None of them actually complete objectives (none of the AI on your team, that is). After so many horrible FPS releases the past few years, I wanted BRINK to be able to restore some faith in such games. I question if FPS games are even worth having hopes for anymore. Expand
  17. May 10, 2011
    I think this game is an ant farming simulator? Wrong game, you say? Well then why the freck are there so many bugs? The level of generic and uninspiredness rivals that of Black OPs. There is one gun total in the game. Well, there are multiple skins for the gun, but make no mistake, they all feel like the exact same gun. The "artistic" graphics are just a cover for "we didn't want to beI think this game is an ant farming simulator? Wrong game, you say? Well then why the freck are there so many bugs? The level of generic and uninspiredness rivals that of Black OPs. There is one gun total in the game. Well, there are multiple skins for the gun, but make no mistake, they all feel like the exact same gun. The "artistic" graphics are just a cover for "we didn't want to be bothered to make actual textures or a lighting engine". A "smart" button? Can it get me more dumbed and casualized than that? Why even have us hit buttons at all? Just make the whole game autopilot and we can sit back and watch. Bethesda obviously weren't watching Bioware's mistakes with Dragon Age 2, else they would have known that dumbed down "1 button=cool stuff whoa omg!" gameplay does not make for great games. Make no mistake, this game is a piece of hipster trash designed to cash in on the TF2 popularity. It is generic. It is ugly. It is repetitive. It is unfun. Expand
  18. May 10, 2011
    Yawn. Nothing but a poor TF2 clone here with no originality. Cel shaded graphics are just a cover up for the poor bland textures and lack of art designer. There is no variabiton from character to character at all...using a shotgun feels just like using an assualt rifile. Objective based matches just turn into a clustered mess due to poor map design and just overall bad game designYawn. Nothing but a poor TF2 clone here with no originality. Cel shaded graphics are just a cover up for the poor bland textures and lack of art designer. There is no variabiton from character to character at all...using a shotgun feels just like using an assualt rifile. Objective based matches just turn into a clustered mess due to poor map design and just overall bad game design mechanics. The game oozes genericness in every way. Not even a rent. Expand
  19. Jun 22, 2013
    Wow, really... gotta say i'm depressed about the general state of "gamers" after finally playing this. IT IS AMAZING, splash damage should NOT be ashamed of this game. It's a wonderful addition to their previous games (having put 600+ hours into both Wolfenstein:ET and Quake Wars ET myself) I've actually avoided this game up to this point because I was afraid it would take another 600Wow, really... gotta say i'm depressed about the general state of "gamers" after finally playing this. IT IS AMAZING, splash damage should NOT be ashamed of this game. It's a wonderful addition to their previous games (having put 600+ hours into both Wolfenstein:ET and Quake Wars ET myself) I've actually avoided this game up to this point because I was afraid it would take another 600 hours of my life away, and after playing it for a bit, i'm sure it will. GAMERS, you should be ashamed of yourself for the harshness you've expressed towards this game. It's the most polished effort yet from Splash Damage and it's beautifully executed. Yes, I understand it actually takes intelligence to play it, sorry to all the dumbasses (the majority of the human population apparently) that just can't figure it out. If your not a troglodyte and capable of smart teamwork based gameplay you'd be doing yourself a disfavor not giving this a chance. Splash Damage's games have always been deep, which is why, after YEARS of playing them you'll find yourself coming back for more. Depth requires a little practice and time to get an understanding of the core elements/map knowledge/general strategy. Their games have never been the type you can just JUMP INTO, but rather are the type that age nicely with many plays and the hidden depth slowly is revealed. I look forward to delving deeper into this one and felt a need to come here and defend it. It's clear Splash Damage is avoiding any and all association with this game at this point and I find that sad.You shouldn't feel that way, i'm sorry the world isn't 'up to speed' with you but please, please, PLEASE don't stop making intelligent games. Your one of the last bastions of challenging team based gameplay and I'd hate to see you 'crumble' under the pressure of the modern 'casual' gamer. Expand
  20. Oct 17, 2013
    Decent multiplayer battle arena with a plot. I wish that the single player had been better thought out as it just feels tacked on but the whole thing is a worthwhile experiment that I hope others follow and refine.
  21. Apr 28, 2013
    Refreshing break from Call of Duty and it has some interesting gameplay. Also it is very fun with its additional features it has than other FPS shooter games out there like Battlefield or Call of Duty.
  22. May 19, 2013
    wow I have never played a game as unique as this sure the objectives are repetive, the graphics need a bit more polish but its the way it is meant to be played properly the guns in the game all sound like their real and the movement system to some its a burden but me I got used to it straight away and the AI leaves much to be desired really if you can ignore the problems this is really awow I have never played a game as unique as this sure the objectives are repetive, the graphics need a bit more polish but its the way it is meant to be played properly the guns in the game all sound like their real and the movement system to some its a burden but me I got used to it straight away and the AI leaves much to be desired really if you can ignore the problems this is really a unique game so get it, its only £5 Expand
  23. Aug 1, 2013
    This is one of my favorite games of all time. People hated it, they said it didn't live up to the expectations, especially the ones provided from it's cinematic trailer at E3. The game is incredibly in-depth, more than people think. It may have a short campaign, but it's amazing sound files easily fill any plot holes, and then overflow to the point of an awesome story. People say the storyThis is one of my favorite games of all time. People hated it, they said it didn't live up to the expectations, especially the ones provided from it's cinematic trailer at E3. The game is incredibly in-depth, more than people think. It may have a short campaign, but it's amazing sound files easily fill any plot holes, and then overflow to the point of an awesome story. People say the story doesn't make sense, yet I have a feeling they didn't take the time to look deeper. Beyond that, the multiplayer is great. Critics were angry that the scoreboard was nothing but points, which can be gotten from kills, revives, objectives, anything. I think it's genius. They are taking Brink's most important element, it's team playing, and ranks players based on that. The Engineer who sits back and defends the briefcase, or the Medic who keeps the informant alive, they will usually get more points than the guy who tries to go out and kill everyone. And, Team Fortress 2 does the same thing, yet it gets praised for it. This game takes elements from so many games, and weaves it so beautifully. It has the fast-paced combat of Call of Duty, the class system of Battlefield, the Team-Play-requirement of Team Fortress 2 (Cause let's be honest, Battlefield has kind of lost it's team spirit) and sure, it doesn't render graphics as fast as we'd like it to, but since when does graphics make a game? Essentially, if I were to describe this game to someone, I'd tell them Team Fortress 2 in a post-apocalyptic future. Look deep down, you know it's true. The game is balanced, there's no uber-OP gun that kills everyone, Sniper Rifles take skill to use, so that trumps Call of Duty. Someone who runs and guns isn't going to do even remotely as well as a team player. This puts it equal to, and in some cases, above Battlefield. Team Fortress 2 perfectly modeled the art of team playing, with Brink just below it. Why do people dislike this game so much, when it is so beautifully crafted, by such a great team of developers? Expand
  24. May 30, 2011
    I just signed up to this site JUST so I could Warn/Explain what a terrible game this is. I have never felt so disappointed about a game in my life. It's times like these I wish steam would offer refunds. At $90, it is a high price to pay for an unfinished, clunky FPS that offers nothing new, or extra for the world of gaming. On launch day this game was unplayable. Broken menus, freezing,I just signed up to this site JUST so I could Warn/Explain what a terrible game this is. I have never felt so disappointed about a game in my life. It's times like these I wish steam would offer refunds. At $90, it is a high price to pay for an unfinished, clunky FPS that offers nothing new, or extra for the world of gaming. On launch day this game was unplayable. Broken menus, freezing, save game loss no servers available on-line to play MP.
    But, I gave it a chance, a good 2 - 3 weeks in fact. The game was patched, but it was too late. Most PC players have given up on this game. Even if you find a server, chances are it will be empty or contain only one other person, desperately trying to force themselves to like this game.
    So, why not play single player you ask?
    Single player is simply multiplayer with AI, however. This is the worst AI I have ever seen!! Unless you constantly switch rolls to actually do all the objectives yourself. The AI might as well not even be there. They just wonder around aimlessly, dying. They don't help AT ALL, It makes the single player mode completely pointless and frustrating.
    With titles such as Battle Field (bad company), Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Call of Duty. All these games listed are half the price, if not cheaper! (Sometimes on special for $8). Why would you bother with such a boring, broken game.
    You want to dress your character up? Go out and buy TF2 and put some hats on him.
    Because what you are spending money on ladies and gentlemen is a $90 dress-up simulator with a terrible FPS attached to it.

You don't want a hardcore competitive game like Call Of Duty, I get that. But go out and spend your money on Team Fortress or Left 4 Dead instead. In fact you could buy both at the cost of Brink.

People rating this game positive either have never experienced a casual FPS outside of this game. Or are convincing themselves they actually enjoy this because it cost them so much money.

Next time, I won't fall for clever marketing.

Brink, more like Stink.
  25. Dec 23, 2011
    Takes what you expect from the genre and adds improved customization far better mobility and more dynamic objectives, I don't know what it was like at release but it's easily worth it's price tag now.

Graphics and sound are up to par has both single and multiplayer including drop in and out single player campaign.
  26. May 11, 2011
    Pro's:
    - The gameplay itself is GREAT.
    - The customizations and leveling system works fine. - The "training wheel" keeps noobs on the objectives. - The S.M.A.R.T. freerunning system is rather fun and a great part of brink. Con's: - The game looks decent, but compared to other quake based games... this one runs like crap. (Seriously, the main menu lags on 1920x1080, meanwhile I can run
    Pro's:
    - The gameplay itself is GREAT.
    - The customizations and leveling system works fine.
    - The "training wheel" keeps noobs on the objectives.
    - The S.M.A.R.T. freerunning system is rather fun and a great part of brink.

Con's: - The game looks decent, but compared to other quake based games... this one runs like crap. (Seriously, the main menu lags on 1920x1080, meanwhile I can run crysis2 just fine.)
    - Most servers you get on lag more than your grandmother. - Various bugs that will no doubt be patched soon. I hope...
    - Theres actually only 8 levels. Thats right. EIGHT. Some reviews might tell you there are 16, but you play the same levels twice, once for Ark Security, and once for The Resistance. I would say this is the greatest draw back to Brink. If this game had closer to 20 levels this game would be getting an 8 or a 9. But its got 8... for now. (Lets hope they release the SDK soon, and maybe some free DLC's.)

Summary: It's got a TON of potential, but it is only half done. Which is sad because the release game looks exactly the same as the demo everyone saw at QuakeCon 09. I guess splash damage took a two year vacation. Maybe now that they are getting paid they can finish the game.
  27. May 11, 2011
    This game is a breath of fresh air for shooters. Lets get somethings straightened out: (This is NOT a call of duty killer! It doesn't claim that what so ever. If you play this game like Call of Duty you will hate it. If you are looking for a epic single-player game this is not it. Clearly this is a Multiplayer game. If you hate Multiplayer look for another game.) Now that we got thatThis game is a breath of fresh air for shooters. Lets get somethings straightened out: (This is NOT a call of duty killer! It doesn't claim that what so ever. If you play this game like Call of Duty you will hate it. If you are looking for a epic single-player game this is not it. Clearly this is a Multiplayer game. If you hate Multiplayer look for another game.) Now that we got that straightened out we can now proceed. This is not a terrible game like many make it out to be (mainly because of the reasons above). This is a game about movement. You can essentially Parkour through out the map which just opened up the flood gates on what people can do in the environment. In a game like call of duty you where limited on elevation. With brink you can run/hop/slide/ and in some cased dive over anything. When you start up the game you are instantly given the choice on what side of this war you want to partake in. Now this isn't a permanent choice because you can make multiple characters for plenty of runthroughs. When you play the game you can choose what class you play. You can play soldier: heavy shooting, Engineer: builds gun emplacements, Medic: Heals fallen comrades, or Operative: covert class who mainly deals with sabotage. Each class can use nearly any gun so you are not stuck with a class that you hate based on guns like in other games. My only complaint is the story. I know from playing that this is a multiplayer game but the trailers showed what I thought would have a larger role. Aside from that this is a great game if your into multiplayer games. The in game menus show a option for DLC so expect more coming soon. Expand
  28. Jun 10, 2011
    Brink started out great fun, but somehow became buggier the more I played. Enemies disappearing, sound entirely not working on some levels. A few patches on and nothing had really improved and last check only 2000 people playing on Steam at peak times. Feels dead right out the gates.
  29. May 16, 2011
    I was a bit sceptical about this game at first, seeing how it got some pretty bad ratings in the first round of reviews. However, curiosity got the better of me and I finally purchased it on Steam. Yes, this game has some issues but it's not all bad. Yes, there are bugs. I haven't encountered any major ones in the PC version, only font corruption and that the game occasionally freezes ifI was a bit sceptical about this game at first, seeing how it got some pretty bad ratings in the first round of reviews. However, curiosity got the better of me and I finally purchased it on Steam. Yes, this game has some issues but it's not all bad. Yes, there are bugs. I haven't encountered any major ones in the PC version, only font corruption and that the game occasionally freezes if you Tab to the desktop. However, these will most likely be fixed in a future patch. Yes, the single player part is kinda dull. Yes, the AI for the bots could use some improvements. And yes, the story sucks badly. The Challenge modes are pretty dull and unimaginative. There are some minor issues with the design on some maps, especially some objectives which turn into giant gunfire mosh pits where you can hardly stick your nose out without getting the head blown off. But there are also plenty of things that Brink does right. The graphics and design is top-notch. The UI is clean, simple, objective focused and fits the gameplay perfectly. The character customization is great and there are plenty of options to make your character look unique. My only complaint is that there are no female characters. In addition there are tons of unlockable weapons, upgrades, useful abilities and stuff for all classes. And the classes themselves are fun and balanced, each fitting the game perfectly. But what I love most about this game is the run-and-gun feel of the combat. It's fast, hectic and the parcour-like SMART-system makes it so fun, climbing over obstacles, jumping over rooftops, wall jumping to the floor, slidetackling your opponent and shoot him down as he knocked down to the floor. Secondly, this game STRONGLY encourages teamwork by rewarding XP for buffing your teammates, escorting or guarding objectives and sticking close to the group. In fact, being a lonewolf is counterproductive if you want to level up. The game scorebord tracks player by XP earned, not kills which adds further empahasis on teamwork. The top player is the one who was of most use to this team, not some idiot camping in a corner trying to get easy kills. Which brings me to my final point. No sniper class! No real sniper weapons! No wookies squatting in the bushes miles away! No airstrikes! No silly vehicles! What a breath of fresh air! In the end it's all about your team, the objectives and that SMG in your hand and isn't that great start? While BRINK does have it faults at least its a great step in the right direction and other gaming companies should take note. Expand
  30. May 15, 2011
    Sweet graphics, weapons and overall mood. But single player campaign is a joke (map+bots+short intro). . Gameplay can be frustrating sometimes - you die too often and in stupid ways. I don't know, after initial disappointment I find myself enjoying Brink more and more. Counting on satisfying multi.
  31. May 16, 2011
    Brink will appeal to a very certain type of PC gamer.

Brink will appeal to a very certain type of PC gamer.

Above all, it will be the type of gamer that cares only about multiplayer, because despite it's claims to provide an 'innovative' mix of single-player, co-op, and multiplayer, BRINK simply reuses the multiplayer maps for single-player and co-op whilst adding bots into the mix. Unfortunately, with crippling AI shortcomings, these bots provide a single player and co-op experience that is frustrating, tedious, but (mercifully) short. The game contains in total 8 maps, less than many budget games, and though these are accompanied by some attractive cutscenes and an interesting premise, they ultimately boil down to charging through one of two choke points to an objective, or defending these chokepoints against the opposing team.

Secondly, it will be the type of gamer that likes the idea of teamwork, but dislikes engaging their brain too much. Teamplay in BRINK is achieved by spamming buffs, rather than careful positioning or depth of strategy. If you do take the risk of engaging your brain for a second, you might be taken aback by how incredibly patronising the game is in its desperate attempts to force you to focus heavily on buff spam - this is a game that literally rewards standing at your spawn buffing freshly spawned players more than running off and single-handedly obliterating the enemy team. Proponents of BRINK might be quick to discount people who are more interested in killing the opposing team as people who don't understand the true value of teamplay; however, when a major objective of said teamplay is to kill the enemy team, the bizarre way in which BRINK rewards the most trivial actions over the most significant ones makes it extremely difficult to identify the good players from the bad.

BRINK is the equivalent of your manager grabbing you by the neck and slapping you in the face repeatedly screaming "BE MORE OF A TEAM PLAYER!". Subtle it certainly isn't in its efforts to get you to stop thinking about the fun of trying to rack up kills, and get back to your key role of pressing "F" and "X". You'll certainly be pressing these keys a lot, because you need to rebuff yourself every time you die (it's not fun in an MMO, and turns out it's even less fun in an FPS). The same goes for your teammates, who'll also need buffing constantly, and the objectives you'll be zerging to stand near and press "F".

So, thirdly, BRINK's appeal is also limited to FPS players who aren't huge fans of, or very good at, the actual running and shooting part. Running is handled by a SMART system which allows you to hold a key to automatically jump/vault as appropriate, eliminating any need to carefully time jumps. Unfortunately, the parkour-based fun that might ensue is limited by the 8 maps that really don't allow the system to shine. Shooting is facilitated by a wide selection of broadly similar weapons, whose killing power is often affected more by the randomness of their huge bullet spread than the actual accuracy or tap-fire ability of the user. Aim is still required, and it would be wrong to suggest there isn't a degree of twitch-based action in BRINK, and I'm sure there are many subtle differences in the weapons, but it's still a game where the outcome of a firefight is mostly down to the number of people you bring to it, rather than their individual skill. A Call of Duty-style XP unlock system allows weapon upgrades and perks to be unlocked, but you'll get through this in about 10 hours of play, so it's yet another way for the developers to continue to hammer in the "TEAMWORK! TEAMWORK!" mantra by forcing you to complete the trivial team actions the XP system so richly rewards.

Finally, BRINK will only appeal to the type of gamer who doesn't own an ATI card or care about 3D Vision support, since neither of these work with BRINK at time of writing. This is another buggy release, less so than the Xbox360 version, but still fraught with issues - a surprise given that this game treads no new ground in its graphics, netcode, or gameplay.

Despite all this negativity, if you fit all these criteria, chances are you will at least like, though perhaps not love, BRINK. It doesn't innovate half as much as the hype might have you believe, but if you loved TF2, you'll find more of the same here. Yet these is one final proviso - BRINK is incredibly overpriced given the omission of true single player or co-op gameplay, and a meagre 8 (similar) multiplayer maps. As a result, Splash and Bethesda deserve poor reviews for pushing out so little content at a premium price tag. At $15 BRINK's peers would be Killing Floor, Section 8, and Breach, and it's comparable to all of these. At $50 it can only be expected to be compared to the big boys of the FPS genre, and it's far from their league.
  32. May 17, 2011
    Brink is a solid FPS with great stylized visuals. Simply put, I pre-ordered the game and have been playing it since release and can give it a fair review. Upon reading other reviews, I have been lucky playing the game with no bugs or graphical issues (running an older Nividia 9800GT).

The game has a fun mechanic that me and some friends have been messing around with. I have not played this game alone much, just been playing it with people because bots tend to get tedious and repetitive. I found that bots on harder difficulties do not behave smarter and act more aggressively, they just get stronger weapons and have instant head-shot abilities. This is a game made for multi-player and if you have friends that bump around in BC2 and you guys ran through Borderlands then this is the next game. It is very team based and if you can get a good bunch of bros with mics that can work together then there is a lot of fun to be had. The customization is really nice and the game has awesome animation and design that gives a nice polish the the game. This is no Team Fortress 2 for multiple class team-based FPS, but Brink has its own unique gameplay, challenges and flaws.
  33. May 28, 2011
    False marketing of "innovation" and "blending online-offline-single-and-multiplayer" leaves a bad aftertaste.

Unlike what the advertisement promises, there is no campaign or single-player modes; only matches with bots and the "blending" constitutes of showing cutscenes in multi-player and single-player alike. That's it. The game is plagued by connectivity issues and an objective system

The game is plagued by connectivity issues and an objective system that punishes creativity by penalising completing objectives without selecting them first on the objective wheel. Teamwork outside of the predetermined roles is thus punished with an XP penalty; or not given an award at all! Quite a hindrance when levelling is so important in the game.

The game promised to do away with "one-shot-kills" and endless camping, but dying from one or five shots within a 1.5 second timeframe makes no difference at all. Camping remains the most solid tactic, in particular since escort missions of very slow moving objectives are so common.

You have to specialise in a class to be effective, and that completely negates the idea of being able to change classes on the fly. You loose a level by respeccing, which is a terrible price to pay and not at all worth it if your into competitive play. At the higher levels, they take a very long time to regain.

The weapons lack tangible differentiation, despite behaving quite differently. Another issue is that you can only decide what weapon suits you by trying them all. Some are utterly useless, while others are similar enough to each other that it simply becomes a matter of preference. Then there are a few that seem to be entirely predominant online; those with highest damage and stability scores.

The system of unlocks is tedious and punishes new players. You have to unlock necessary upgrades to be competetive by completing tedious and often outright boring Challenges; particularly egregious since you have to complete each of the four missions TWICE in order to attain those important ammo and scope upgrades. They also more or less have to be completed on early levels, since attempting them online will quickly prove frustrating and the difficulty is such at higher levels that the tedium becomes too much to bear. Starting a new character is because of all this a very unattractive prospect.

The server browser is absolutely horrible, with no way of discerning what rules the match you are entering has if it doesn't conform to some limited preset of rules; a clear majority of servers are simply listed as "custom", which can mean just about anything. Are you going up against rank 5 (the most advanced skills) specialists that will pwn you over and over unless you have a solid team, is friendly fire on or off, and so on. Coupled with the incessant disconnects, despite rock solid performance in every other game I play, that sometimes gives you marginal XP and sometimes none at all, this provides a frustrating and quickly tiring online experience. As a team based multiplayer shooter, it is average; not as punishing as Counter-Strike, but neither as rewarding, not as difficult to learn as Team Fortress 2, but neither as dynamic.

The SMART system works as a cool replacement for rocket-jumping and the likes, but the utility of the Light body type that can do wall jumps and more advanced manoeuvres is very much in doubt. The levels have a only few places where the Light type can pull off some cool stunts, but the only real gain is that you arrive faster at your destination by using those shortcuts; most often that means leaving your team behind and thus a quick death when you arrive at the enemy camp. Had the servers supported more than 8 players on each team, perhaps a strike team of Lights could do something useful, but as it stands those slots are needed for the core team to be able to complete objectives. All in all, I found Brink to be worth about 20hrs of gameplay, after which it became stale and restrictive. For a multiplayer shooter, that's appallingly short in terms of longevity.

Releasing an unplayable game is also not acceptable, which was the state the game was in when my pre-order copy arrived. That's why it gets a '4' and not the '5' I would rate it as in its current state.
  34. Jun 26, 2011
    Brink is not finished yet; I am still waiting for a patch. There are many issues witch destroy the fairly good gameplay experience. Brink has, despite the average graphics, a very bad performance and there are many bugs which are not fixed yet. Bethesda announced that the first DLC (which will release before the first real patch) will be free. Free for 2 weeks, as added later. Again, theBrink is not finished yet; I am still waiting for a patch. There are many issues witch destroy the fairly good gameplay experience. Brink has, despite the average graphics, a very bad performance and there are many bugs which are not fixed yet. Bethesda announced that the first DLC (which will release before the first real patch) will be free. Free for 2 weeks, as added later. Again, the developers focus on new content instead of the elimination of the problems. The character customization options are good, but the upgrading system for the classes is messed up. I advise against the purchase of this game. Expand
  35. May 23, 2011
    Just terrible. Boring game if i wanted to play team fortress 2 then ill just play team fortress 2! Sure the sliding is cool but the game just lacks any fun imo.
  36. May 24, 2011
    Come on brothers, lets do this! First thing I do as a XP addict is watch the tutorial that tells me to hold tab to see and choose objectives.
    I start the campaign and immediately I get all confused about wtf to do. I hold tab.....i see no objectives. i hold tab again. no objectives instead I see a nice scoreboard. WTF do i want a scoreboard for in SINGLEPLAYER???? i don't care about the bots stats!!!!! I do care about the new SMART system though. Good idea if your maps where up4 the challenge. And omg the goddamn medics running around throwing syringes everwhere geezeez I just emptied 2 full mags in his head and all it takes for him to ress is 2 secs? srsly I have now uninstalled and when this is done im returning this piece of donkey **** they chose to call a game :) have nice day- witcher2 plz dont suck this bad!!! plz
  37. Jul 13, 2011
    Last night I had one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had, thanks to Brink. It's really awesome when you play this game online with 3 or more other friends, believe me. Excellent teamwork is required to win a match, that's what makes this game a REAL multiplayer game. I just love to play Brink together with friends, and I'm not gonna stop loving that.
  38. May 15, 2011
    After a good amount of game-play i have come to the conclusion that this is a good game. I'm sure those who have marked it lower, including critics, have good reason. However i think this is a case of very high expectation and some features, that some people care a lot about but for many will be side issues, bringing the score down. The smart movement is fun, the objectives are good, theAfter a good amount of game-play i have come to the conclusion that this is a good game. I'm sure those who have marked it lower, including critics, have good reason. However i think this is a case of very high expectation and some features, that some people care a lot about but for many will be side issues, bringing the score down. The smart movement is fun, the objectives are good, the customisation is good, the maps are good and the setting, contrary to other reports about the story and art etc, has drawn me in. A lot of people have been concerned about the servers/lag etc and i am no expert on this so i defer to their judgement, however, again i'm enjoying the online experience and i have played a lot of games so it cant be a game breaker for the average gamer. I think this game does an excellent job of bringing the newbie up to speed too, as long as they put in the couple of hours asked of them. I think the challenges and the level up system is excellently thought out to get a good level playing field quickly.

Smart Movement; I think the great thing about this is not so much the fact that you have one button that sprints, climbs etc. but that it opens up the map design. Soon you realise that the stairway/ramp you thought only had one way up, with smart, has other routes. This becomes an opportunity to surprise your enemies. Even if they know you can climb up, it is still a bit surprising in the heat of battle, simply because the ramp is a ramp, you expect people to run up it not climb up behind you.
    The best thing about this game is that it sets a hectic pace but maintains a clarity of purpose. You always know what you need/want to do. The multiple objective wheel is great and lets you know the primary objective but also other options. Finally; sliding around a corner and gunning down an opponent will never get boring.
  39. May 19, 2011
    The depth of my disappointment with the game cannot be overstated, but neither can its flaws.

The primary issues are ones that relate to the elemental parts of a good FPS game. In these ways, Brink scores below average when compared to the benchmarks across the FPS pantheon (Planetside, Quake 2, Counter-Strike, Battlefield 2142 and BC2, TF2). Weapon Balance: Poor. There are two runaway

Weapon Balance: Poor. There are two runaway favorites - the CARB SMG and the Revolver. Because their accuracy, operating range and damage are only barely worse than the next tiers of weapons (and because combat happens at close range most of the time), these two guns are the most common seen and the most effective. There are no appreciable advantages to the Assault Rifles or Heavy weapons. The rest of the SMGs are, simply put, worse than the CARB. Don't bother. Class Balance: If some maps didn't require Operatives and Soldiers then you'd never seen them. Medic and Engineer are very well rounded and their buffing abilities outshine whatever skills the other two classes have. This, keep in mind, with the Engineer's turrets almost entirely crippled by incredibly slow target acquisition. The body types are visual candy at best; the differences in health are negligible in firefights, leading more to choose the Light type due to its mobility. Note that the Light can use both of the superior weapons above. The twitchiness of aiming and movement make it possible to tank damage simply by moving quickly.

Map Design: Consider that one map has no sound, another glitches all player models into invisibility and a third can have one team's spawn locked down within 30 seconds and you'll see why the map design is disappointing. There are no CTF or Capture Point modes (near-requirements in the FPS space), instead relying on repeated objective-based tasks governed by timers and checkpoints. These are poorly balanced, with the defending team almost always at an advantage. Controls and Movement: Possibly the worst part of the gameplay. Yes, you can jump over barricades and slide into corners, but your character will also get tripped up on ground debris (breaking sprint - argh!), twitch uncontrollably when up against cover and mercilessly hesitate when transitioning between postures, aiming and sprinting. The complete lack of polish in control ruins the authenticity of the gameplay and makes you feel more like a ghoul clumsily floating over the landscape, occasionally snagging your pants, rather than a mongoose-like soldier weaving your way through a battle.

There are too many controls given what you can actually do with them. For example, two keys are required to deploy your base ability - one for self-use and one for other-use. In a game where you can express intent by aiming your crosshairs, you simply don't need two buttons. Press the key - are you looking at something? Act on that. No? Act on yourself. Brink is only vaguely molded and not-at-all polished. There's probably a good game lurking somewhere in the design documents, but the just-barely-thought-out customization and gameplay design choices all smack of trying to do too much. What concerns me most are the issues at the core levels of gameplay, specifically movement, ballistics and game modes. These are hard things to resolve with patches, yet the game desperately needs help in those areas and more. It's hard to walk away from the glitz of different colored shirts and a few parkour moves, but I recommend you do. Check back in a year - if there are still people on the already-near-empty servers, the price has fallen and the game cleaned is cleaned up in the ways that matter then, well, you might be in for a treat. Apologists will predictably quip, "I'm having a ton of fun; if you don't like it then don't play it" and "You just don't understand what kind of game it is; go back to CoD." To which I reply, "Just because you think it's fun does not mean it's good."
  40. May 11, 2011
    It's a pretty solid game. There are a few issues, some of the early maps can seem overly hard, and it doesn't always do a good job of explaining which class is needed. The lack of subtitles hurts the game, too. But the customization is good, the core mechanics work well, and the maps are a great change from the typical stuff you might see. Parkour is solid, but it doesn't get much use inIt's a pretty solid game. There are a few issues, some of the early maps can seem overly hard, and it doesn't always do a good job of explaining which class is needed. The lack of subtitles hurts the game, too. But the customization is good, the core mechanics work well, and the maps are a great change from the typical stuff you might see. Parkour is solid, but it doesn't get much use in fights, so much as getting you to those fights faster, or through a safer route. Expand
  41. May 17, 2011
    This game is not at all fun. There is nothing to do, all the mission are quite same and other then killing a bunch of soldiers there nothing else. i enjoyed the character creation more than the mission. i think the only good and different thing in this game is the character creation, other than that this game is useless and quite boring. i just started playing this game and after a coupleThis game is not at all fun. There is nothing to do, all the mission are quite same and other then killing a bunch of soldiers there nothing else. i enjoyed the character creation more than the mission. i think the only good and different thing in this game is the character creation, other than that this game is useless and quite boring. i just started playing this game and after a couple of minutes i bored. I think they could have really made is game much better. Expand
  42. May 11, 2011
    Obviously the game has bugs, it's first day of release. Anyone who doesn't understand that must be one of those people who play Farmville and consider themselves hardcore.
  43. May 10, 2011
    I'll start of with the pros; the movement controls are nice and fluid, allowing you to vault obstacles and sprint at the same time with just one button, reminiscent of the 'free run' found in Assassin's Creed. The art style really benefits the feel of Brink with the over exaggerated realism that is brought out with beautiful graphics. The choice of weapons and their customization allowsI'll start of with the pros; the movement controls are nice and fluid, allowing you to vault obstacles and sprint at the same time with just one button, reminiscent of the 'free run' found in Assassin's Creed. The art style really benefits the feel of Brink with the over exaggerated realism that is brought out with beautiful graphics. The choice of weapons and their customization allows the player to experiment and adapt to his or her play style while also having different body types boasting abilities such as free running or more HP provides a unique customization feature where no one character will ever be the same.

Now onto the cons; there is no story driven single player, but a mission to mission type of play that all too closely resembles the multiplayer (if not EXACTLY like the multiplayer) and has little to no intrinsic value except that you can play by yourself. The movement using sprint or 'free run' can cause some problems every now and then where you'll vault a rail you didn't want to vault or get yourself stuck in a hairy situation that leads to your untimely demise. Finally the objectives and game mode feel repetitive over time and the number of maps don't help lessen the repetitiveness where after about 3-4 hours of playing you've already seen all the maps, and with no map editor there is no hope for the community to be able to build their own maps and make Brink even greater than it is now.

Overall Brink is a great game to play with friends for a short while, taking in all it has to offer, but it won't be something you'll be looking forward to get back to the next day.
  44. May 16, 2011
    I like Brink. There, I said it. I'm not in love with it as much as when I bought TF2, but I'm not as sour (not by a long shot) as the "ET" players.

I love using the SMART system, and while the guns may be a bit bland here and there, the customization options for them are great. And while the bots are stupid, real players (usually) aren't. Again comparing it to TF2: the bots are there, but it's not what you come there for.

My verdict so far: After seeing about 5 patches in release week that fix most of the problems I had with the game, I can say this game is for anyone who likes objective-based FPS gameplay combined with parkouring your way through the levels.
  45. Aug 7, 2011
    I'll be honest: as it stands, I'm going to say that this game deserves a better rating than it got. I totally understand that when you buy a product, you expect that product will hold up to the standards that you were sold. And when it doesn't, no doubt there will be huge disappointment. But with games nowadays, especially with PC games, the game you get on day one will definitely changeI'll be honest: as it stands, I'm going to say that this game deserves a better rating than it got. I totally understand that when you buy a product, you expect that product will hold up to the standards that you were sold. And when it doesn't, no doubt there will be huge disappointment. But with games nowadays, especially with PC games, the game you get on day one will definitely change to try to meet those standards when the situation calls for it. And looking at all the reviews from before, I can definitely say this is one of those cases. Brink is worth revisiting, especially if you can grab it on sale. In all honesty, the gameplay is great, the class and ability system is awesome, the customization has depth, so for me this game is definitely a 9/10. I've had a blast playing with it! Now should you get this game? Do your homework first: find out what bugs there currently are, and just make an informed decision based on that as best you can. I personally don't seem to be having any problems, certainly nothing game breaking, but just be informed before you buy! Expand
  46. CBZ
    May 15, 2011
    Brink is a great game full of potential, with excellent graphics and gameplay. The quick switch between objectives and the special abilities make this game really fun to play. The game has captured many good aspects from other games such as Team Fortress 2 (abilities and characters) assassins creed (parkour) and Call of duty among others (weapon customization) to create one great concept.Brink is a great game full of potential, with excellent graphics and gameplay. The quick switch between objectives and the special abilities make this game really fun to play. The game has captured many good aspects from other games such as Team Fortress 2 (abilities and characters) assassins creed (parkour) and Call of duty among others (weapon customization) to create one great concept.
    I think the low scores are due to the high expectations of the players, however, it is true that the game needs some patching especially for the AI and the sound going away in MP. I recommend to wait a little until these issues have been solved for those who are hesitating on buying the game.
  47. May 11, 2011
    If you don't want to read my full review: Yeah this is a game worth buying.
    Why? Read the review :D
    Sooo, first review. You ask me why I just registered here for reviewing this game? Just because many of the so called "reviewers" here haven't played this game for a longer time or they are talking crap. First off: I played many FPS Games: BF-series, whole CoD-series (but BlackOps is
    If you don't want to read my full review: Yeah this is a game worth buying.
    Why? Read the review :D

First off: I played many FPS Games: BF-series, whole CoD-series (but BlackOps is probably the last game I bought from this series),
    TeamFortress 1-2, Quake, UT, CS and so on and so on.
    I tested the german version of Brink. On the PC for sure! (I don't understand why many reviewers post a review of the XBox or PS3 version in the PC section..
    HELLOOO.. this is the PC section. Personal *break* Computer. Mouse+Keyboard. Get it? Thank you)

So now I introduce to you: Brink.

Gameplay:
    Intense. Fast. Teambased. And a bit freaky.
    I really like it that you can choose your own mission and go for that.
    Also you have to play as a team, all Call of Duty-fraggers have to rethink and get used to it, this game is no brainless "KILLEVERYTHING!!!11"-FPS.
    The maps are.. freaky as the whole game. Some are well structered, some are really messy.
    Not bad, just messy. But the mission marker will help to find your way.
    The weapons are too similar in my opinion, hopefully a patch will fix that.
    Most players use a SMG.
    There are 4 classes in the game:
    Medic, Engineer, Soldier and somekind of Spy.
    The medic and the engineer are very powerful and most played.
    You can make many XP points in a short time so they are a bit overpowered, this should be balanced.
    The Soldier is okay. Nothing special, just okay.
    And last and least: the spy.
    Okay, you need him in some missions but its a pain to play.
    He can get a disguise (but it will be dropped when you get hit or fire a weapon) and some other little perks, but nothing that can hold up with the other classes.
    The S.M.A.R.T. system is a nice feature but you really have to get used to it.
    For me its okay that you only have to press one button for this, 'cause a key for every single move would make it impossible to react in a hot situation.
    The only thing that me really disappointed is the wall run. Its nearly non-existent.. that makes me really sad.
    But the game isn't called Mirror's Edge, its Brink.
    PS: I won't write anything about the SP, this is a pure multiplayer game.
    Okay, just one sentence: The AI is unbelievable stupid. Not as stupid as the bots in BF1942 but.. stupid.

Graphics:
    I really like the minimalistic menu and the comic look, but this is a personal thing!
    The graphics are pretty good, not mobile phone graphics that some people here are talking about.
    (Sorry, this really made me laugh and cry about the stupidity of some... okay, this shouldn't be in a review, back to topic)
    Nothing more to graphics, they are not Crysis like, but not bad. They are... pretty good. Full stop.

Network:
    I personally hadn't the "Server doesn't respond" bug.
    But yeah, some servers are a bit laggy, hopefully will be fixed.

Conclusion:
    This game is pretty good and its something new. It takes parts from many FPS Games and mix them up to a new game.
    I like it and I will have fun with it for many hours.
    Its something new, its freaky and its a more complex game than the most "KILLEVERYTHING!!!11"-FPS (CoD *cough*).
    This means that most kiddos won't play this and this makes me reaaally happy. :)
    So, this is a game worth buying :) PS: No, I don't hate Call of Duty. I played Call of Duty for a long time. But for me Call of Duty 4 was the last REAL Call of Duty. Personal opinion, please don't cry. PPS: Yes, this game has a few bugs. I don't like it that most up to date games are full of bugs, but okay. PPPS: This review should have been longer, but I'm ill and its short after midnight ^^ Greetings, ComboCraft
  48. May 12, 2011
    It's wicked fun. It's very intuitive and everything is done well. Sure there are a few flaws of the game, but those are not gameplay, they are performance issues. As soon as AMD gets on their game and releases something other than a Hotfix, then I'm sure on AMD systems the performance will be drastically improved. It's not a game for campaign. The campaign and the multiplayer is theIt's wicked fun. It's very intuitive and everything is done well. Sure there are a few flaws of the game, but those are not gameplay, they are performance issues. As soon as AMD gets on their game and releases something other than a Hotfix, then I'm sure on AMD systems the performance will be drastically improved. It's not a game for campaign. The campaign and the multiplayer is the exact same thing. Its meant to be a MP game just like TF2 is an MP game.
    The weapons change drastically and realistically with the attachments you use as well choosing a specific weapon set is crucial for certain situations as well as the class and body type you are playing as.
    There are 4 basic classes just like every game. Medic, Solider, Operative, and Engineer. Each have their own specific abilities and objectives that are crucial to master and change up depending on the situation presented at hand.
    All four classes can be played in each of the three body types.
    The three body types are light, medium and heavy. They each can only use specific weapons out of your arsenal of over 40+ unique weapons, as well as a major difference is in speed as well as in the ability to beable to traverse areas using the SMART system. For instance, the heavy can lumber over objects, but the light can bounce from one, lightly run on the wall for about 4 feet, and leap off on the the ledge easily making evasive maneuvers from the enemy.
    As you can see it has alot going for it, but it could be slightly better.
  49. May 13, 2011
    There's a lot to say about the game, but I'll keep it short and sweet to avoid redundancy. Sure the game has some issues, but give it some time. As for the good: the classes seem very well balanced, with each class offering a unique play style, versatility, and variability. The movement is spot on, I have no issues with the SMART system. The campaign is fun, each level has numerousThere's a lot to say about the game, but I'll keep it short and sweet to avoid redundancy. Sure the game has some issues, but give it some time. As for the good: the classes seem very well balanced, with each class offering a unique play style, versatility, and variability. The movement is spot on, I have no issues with the SMART system. The campaign is fun, each level has numerous primary and secondary objectives encouraging teamwork. And lastly, the aesthetics, the game is very well done graphically, and just the overall atmosphere is exciting. Now the bad: virtually no single player. This however, is not problematic for me, as virtually all time spent for fps games is multiplayer anyways. As for the multiplayer, there are lots of bugs. But like I said, give it some time and these will be resolved. In sum, this game is fresh and creative. It offers lots of opportunities for fun and compelling teamwork. Just wait for a few patches to resolve the current multiplayer issues and this game will really shine. Expand
  50. Jun 1, 2011
    The narrow corridors and choke-points completely ruin this game. Just sitting there buffing each other, getting off a few shots at the enemy, but don't really hurt him. 5 clips later you down an enemy then you get downed, the enemy gets revived, then you get revived. Repeat. That's the whole game in a nutshell.
  51. Jul 6, 2011
    I never paid much attention to pre-release hype, so perhaps my more positive outlook on the game stems partially from not having the opportunity for hype-based let-down. I was fortunate enough to get the game after a couple patches, so I was spared the early rough spot.

That being said, it's overall a solid, but not great shooter. It's a lot of fun online; I've very rarely been frustrated while playing without having had a bad day prior to firing it up, which is something I can't say about most online shooters. While the SP mode certainly doesn't stand up on its own(especially not the Security campaign, being a sight more difficult with AI teammates than Resistance), and I'm usually strongly against games that require MP interaction to enjoy, the fact that story (light as it was) and meaning was given behind what you were doing gives it a lot more appeal to me than MP shooters whereby "they're shooting at me so I should shoot at them!" or "they're from a different faction/nation, I should shoot them!" is all the reason you're given to do anything. Also, the "tf2 clone!" argument is just silly. Would you consider Battlefield Heroes or Monday Night Combat "tf2 clones" if they were in first person? Stylized class based objective MP shooter does not a tf2 clone make.

Onto specifics, having gotten rid of the "tl;dr" in paragraph 2(assuming the review posting maintains format):

Graphics: Not mindblowing by any means, and with an odd color palette, but it shows that ID Tech IV (the engine that originated with and powered Doom 3 back in 2004) is still a usable engine in this day and age. (ID Tech III is still being used with CoD and Source is still being used by Valve, so engine age is a non-issue.) I can't comment too much further as due to my hardware I'm capped at 720p medium settings with all effects but VSYNC and Motion blur shut off.

Gameplay: Shooting is a nice change of pace from the CoD-esque "everything's laser-accurate" system of modern games, requiring burst firing and intelligent usage of your weapon's given range to hit targets accurately. Objectives are fairly simple, but take enough time that teamwork or good subterfuge are required to get them done. Shame they mostly involve escorting or holding down the action button. On the plus side, k/d is completely irrelevant, so no need for some sorry fool to hop into a game to do a lot of killing and nothing else because nobody's going to see the stats. It's something that should be implemented into all competitive objective modes of games. The "parkour" system surely leaves a lot to be desired for fans of parkour, but sliding and climbing around (+ wall jumping for light body types) are workable enough and lead to good ways to get out of dodge when need be. I would have preferred normal jumping height to not be so terrible, though. Command posts offer a nice way to add a little extra buff to your entire team, if you can be bothered to stray away from the main objective long enough to capture one.

Maps: I've saved the gameplay elements that apply specifically to maps for here. Nothing mindblowing in terms of detail, but they serve the job well. Objectives presented on the maps tend to fall into the whole "variation on a theme" deal, but for the most part feel different enough from map to map. The main flaw of the maps, and subsequently the game, in my opinion... is the "choke-point" focus. Security is likely to like Reactor and Security Tower while Resistance is likely to like maps like Container City. Why? It's easy to stop the other team at a certain point on each map for either a very long time or for the rest of the match. While decent/competent teams (even as random players as opposed to a party of friends) can easily break these eventually, less focused and/or "bot-filled" teams can get stuck and demoralized very easily. I hope the map packs fix this error.

I give the game as a whole about an 82 or 83 out of 100. (Rounded to 8 out of 10.) Not amazing or mindblowing, but a solid and fun shooter. I just wish it were easier to find a server with good ping AND people actually playing it.
  52. May 11, 2011
    Let me start off by saying that Brink is a standout, excellent game. Its not for everyone though. If you want to go lone wolf, or get recognized for your kills, or play deathmatch style online games, go back to CoD. This is not your game. If you like objective style gameplay where teamwork is everything, you'll feel right at home with Brink. The SMART system makes it really easy to getLet me start off by saying that Brink is a standout, excellent game. Its not for everyone though. If you want to go lone wolf, or get recognized for your kills, or play deathmatch style online games, go back to CoD. This is not your game. If you like objective style gameplay where teamwork is everything, you'll feel right at home with Brink. The SMART system makes it really easy to get around, and more skilled players can use it for much more than getting from point A to point B. There's really no game with combat that's quite like it. While objectives are not incredibly varied there are more than enough to keep you entertained for countless games. The maps themselves are not that varied either, but their large size keeps them fresh and since objectives are held is sometimes widely varied locations on the same map it can make one match seem like several. The guns handle nicely, and once you find one that is right for you they become oh so satifying to use. The sound work for the guns is excellent as well. This game isn't without its flaws of course, the maps all have certain choke points that all of the action seems to take place in, which could be off-putting to some. The biggest thing for me is that the game's shadows take issue with certain ATI graphics cards (like mine) and shadows must be turned off to achieve an acceptable framerate on any settings if you encounter this issue. The netcode is also laggy at times, but this has only affected me in a few matches. These problems could be easily patched though, and I'm sure Splash Damage is looking into it as I'm writing this. Overall I think this game is definitely worth checking out. If you like teamwork oriented online games you will likely find Brink to be an enjoyable experience. I cannot get my head around some of the bad scores some of the "professional" reviews have given Brink. IGN claims Brink is repetitive, while praising CoD. As someone who has put over 10 hours into Brink and much more into the latest installment of CoD, this just seems ridiculous to me. Black Ops is a much more repetitive game, Brink has a lot more variety. In fact, I haven't seen this much variety in an online game in a long time. Give Brink a chance, you'll probably be surprised how much fun you can have. Expand
  53. May 10, 2011
    Yes the Parkour is that awesome. Not clunky like some reviewers have said (Try not using the Heavy body type ;). Multiplayer may not have TDM or CTF and that is a downside =/ Think of the the MP as more like LFD2. I've played about 4 hours playing Challenges, and online Campaign. I've finished 3 mission for the Resistance and could play the same mission over and over. Servers are aYes the Parkour is that awesome. Not clunky like some reviewers have said (Try not using the Heavy body type ;). Multiplayer may not have TDM or CTF and that is a downside =/ Think of the the MP as more like LFD2. I've played about 4 hours playing Challenges, and online Campaign. I've finished 3 mission for the Resistance and could play the same mission over and over. Servers are a bit laggy right now. But just remember the COD:BO launch. Nobody gave it a bad rating because it had problems at first (even tho COD is a piece of **** game). Overall I think it's a must buy for any fan of FPS games, or has friends that play FPS game. Because this game is centered around, and does this very well with the point system, around team-based playing and cooperation. Most addictive gameplay if played in a while. Expand
  54. May 16, 2011
    I enjoy the gameplay. it's unfortunate it's such a polarizing type of game and that people are people who love it or hate it and this effects it's score. But as someone who has learnt to love team/objective/class based shooters, brink is fun, challenging and unpredictable, requires skill and strategy. There is lack of polish here & there and are lots of great new ideas that could have beenI enjoy the gameplay. it's unfortunate it's such a polarizing type of game and that people are people who love it or hate it and this effects it's score. But as someone who has learnt to love team/objective/class based shooters, brink is fun, challenging and unpredictable, requires skill and strategy. There is lack of polish here & there and are lots of great new ideas that could have been executed a bit better,but the core gameplay is solid if you like team/ objective/class based shooters. Expand
  55. May 13, 2011
    When you first start out, all the classes are pretty much the same, they can do a few different things. As you level up you unlock different things you can do to make your character better, which also separates the classes even further. This game is a fast paced FPS with a great artistic style that separates it from the rest.

It does have an RPG element to it so do not jump into the game

It does have an RPG element to it so do not jump into the game and expect to be l33t. There are a lot of things you can unlock by leveling up that will make you a better killing machine.
  56. May 14, 2011
    Hi I have a few days Brink, it is actually a very good game but there are a few problems with the server search a total lag is because the game with the number of servers is not clear why I ask it very quickly to fix
  57. May 14, 2011
    Not much to say, besides this is an amazing game with no other game like it atm. Ofc its not perfect by any means, with an AI that lacks in parts and objectives which are much to simple. Slight issue with server not responding that is easily fixed by forwarding the right ports. It is a shame that we can't freerun around a massive stable map, but it's ok, ill live. I'd say on face valueNot much to say, besides this is an amazing game with no other game like it atm. Ofc its not perfect by any means, with an AI that lacks in parts and objectives which are much to simple. Slight issue with server not responding that is easily fixed by forwarding the right ports. It is a shame that we can't freerun around a massive stable map, but it's ok, ill live. I'd say on face value it's TF2 but with improved gameplay, guns, graphics, storyline and customisation. yay Expand
  58. May 15, 2011
    Brink is not perfect, it doesn't deserve a 10. However it is great and I am disgusted at it's low score
    The teamwork is great, if your team does not have a mix of all the classes you WILL fail, however medics are overpowered. The SMART system works fine, occasionally bugs out. It is extremely fun with the light bodytype, however you are fragile with it.
    The plot is meh and the level design
    The plot is meh and the level design is meh. I still love this game..
  59. Jun 23, 2011
    Releasing an unfinished game, too many bugs, bad ping from one player can cause the whole team to lag. Not even close to being good enough for competitive play. Wasted 50â
  60. May 10, 2011
    I'm liking the game after 4 straight hours of game play. I can tell that it will be a great game once a few issue get ironed out. The SMART system is nice but the animation could use a little polish. The AI is garbage. The objective wheel is a big help. Not only will it give you objectives according to priority but it will also highlight them on screen. This game has some real potentialI'm liking the game after 4 straight hours of game play. I can tell that it will be a great game once a few issue get ironed out. The SMART system is nice but the animation could use a little polish. The AI is garbage. The objective wheel is a big help. Not only will it give you objectives according to priority but it will also highlight them on screen. This game has some real potential and I hope it gets the attention it deserves. Expand
  61. May 10, 2011
    Brink tries to break that mold and does so in a number of ways while implementing some of those familiar ideas. It brings a freshness to the genre that pulls away from the lone-wolf, self-gratifying gameplay that we're gotten used to. It's a wakeup slap in the face that's needed and that takes away a lot while putting in your hands a lot more. It's not without fault, of course, but what itBrink tries to break that mold and does so in a number of ways while implementing some of those familiar ideas. It brings a freshness to the genre that pulls away from the lone-wolf, self-gratifying gameplay that we're gotten used to. It's a wakeup slap in the face that's needed and that takes away a lot while putting in your hands a lot more. It's not without fault, of course, but what it does right, it does it well.

Basically, the game boils down in the use of your 4 main classes : Soldier, Medic, Engineer and Operative. Each have an ability that will support your team and a role in the objectives that will be provided on each of your missions. Soldiers will hand out extra ammo to allies as well as plant explosive to clear doors and other obstacles. Medics will keep the team alive and revive downed friends so they don't have to wait for the respawn wave. Engineers will boost allies' weapon damage and set up turrets, remove spotted mines and overall provide general fire support. Operative will disarm mines, hack into objective and bolster your command points' defenses while also passing as an enemy, if he can disguise himself as one.

The two main features of the game are the SMART system and the customisation. The former allows for greater mobility around the level, to evade and reach higher areas with overall ease. Each body type will allow a certain degree of freedom using SMART with the Heavy type barely able to move over low walls and have slow mobility (in exchange for increased health and bigger caliber weapons) and the Light type that's basically a monkey on speed; the Medium type strikes the middle balance, giving good survival and mobility and access to most weapons.

The customisation, unlike most current shooters, extends both to your character and the weapons you have unlocked as well as abilities. For one, you have quite a few options for customisation to begin with, more unlocked as you rank up and progress through the game. Each character can have a Security and a Resistance outfit ready, depending on which faction you happen to be playing as for the match. The changes are normally apparent enough to be noticeable (perhaps other than face scars) and while there is a good choice, it feels like there could even be more offered. Perhaps some will be available later with updates and/or DLC.

Graphically, the game is eye pleasing; the character models certainly have a personality of their own while the environnements have more than mere shades of grey, green and brown. The Ark was a colorful place but even through its degradation, it still maintain a kind of life that isn't completely lost. The architechture of the levels is very nice with multiple paths leading to objectives and favorising each playstyle.

In the sound department, the voice acting is pretty good, if a bit cliché with accents but you're not likely to be annoyed. Voice cues play as needed and automatically depending on the situation (like whenever you choose a new objective, your character voices it out to his allies) which is a nice touch that gives a bit of interactivity. Weapons sound mechanical and loud, something that most games tend to overlook; the fact that multiple samples have been taken for each weapon really shows and makes it one of the most appealing sound work in a FPS since Bad Company 2.

An example would be to use the Soldier's molotov **** to knockdown enemies then finish them off with a burst of rifle. The knockdown will grant XP as will each connecting shot (a 30 XP bonus awarded even for 'grouping' shots in a burst) and the kill itself. Another would be to run around as a medic, boosting allies' health and bringing them back up. At the end of the match, what is important is the effort you've given toward your team's success... and that is why only the tallied score is displayed. Kills and deaths are transparent; victory is vital and thus, those who work best with their team will be taking the top of the scoreboard and not necessarily those with the most kills.

This might be what drive some current generation gamers away; it takes time to get used to the fact that this is a team game and not a "Me, Myself and I" type of gameplay. The game will happily hammer you into oblivion for trying to take on more than 2 or 3 enemies all at once, making its point that this isn't as twitchy a shooter like Call of Duty might be. It's different, it's refreshing and it will definitively drive some people off... but those that'll take the time to learn the game will get enough enjoyment out of it to be a worthwhile purchase.
  62. May 15, 2011
    Having played this game on multiple platforms the PC is clearly the best of the three the graphics really shine, the texture issues aren't there and it just flows. I had no issues with lag playing on Steam until the patch to fix lag came out. Hopefully SplashDamage will get this sorted soon.

Mobility is an interesting new layer to the game, think Mirrors Edge with being rewarded for using guns. You really are rewarded for being on the move. The objective wheel gives you an easy way to see what needs to be done and rewards you for doing more then hunting down the other guys. Also interesting is the "body type" actually has a gameplay impact. Instead of being cosmetic a skinny character has increased mobility but less health and weapon choices, medium has a balance of the two while a heavy is fairly immobile but can heft very large very powerful guns.

The AI does scale, while "Dumb" at lower levels it does smarten up as you gain experience (at least the enemy AI) though I did find friendly AI at times wanting but this will hopefully change as SplashDamage have said this was done deliberately and will be adjustable shortly. Now the campaign is fairly short, I have finished all campaign and "what if" scenarios but I have a feeling this will be a "living" game like Left 4 Dead where there's frequent updates. The ending does really set that up nicely.

Any how, don't believe the hype, reading these reviews though I've come to the opinion dedicated PC gaming reviews are more necisary now than ever given the disparity in hardware between PCs and Consoles has crept up again and it appears that more and more games just play differently between the two (this had been a problem in the past but when the 360 and PS3 came out it had improved for a bit but we're back to the tech divide and judging a multi-platform game like this on one console's play through like Joystiq or G4 do is really not fair to the game or people who may be interested in other platforms.)
  63. May 13, 2011
    A great team based FPS shooter.

I gave it a 9 , although atm it is a 8 , but after a few patches it will be a solid 9. Sure you might have read it has horrible AI and bugs but keep in mind this is supposed to be an multiplayer game and bugs are fixable and many have already been fixed. Some of the weapons do seem a bit too similar to each other , but it does really not bother me so much
    A great team based FPS shooter.

Sure you might have read it has horrible AI and bugs but keep in mind

Some of the weapons do seem a bit too similar to each other , but it does really not bother me so much because this is not supposed to be an super realistic MW clone where you can be killed by a bouncing knife scratching your leg...

So a solid team FPS that can only get more better by time.
  64. May 11, 2011
    Brink is Amazing, Great graphics, great gameplay, Even on the lower end of min spec you can get away with great looking graphics, Multi player is one of the best iv seen, it takes what Killzone 3 did for the PS3 and intensified 5x and we get Brink, I can't wait for part 2. Story mode was fun and immersive, you really get a feel for how these people are struggling in the world they liveBrink is Amazing, Great graphics, great gameplay, Even on the lower end of min spec you can get away with great looking graphics, Multi player is one of the best iv seen, it takes what Killzone 3 did for the PS3 and intensified 5x and we get Brink, I can't wait for part 2. Story mode was fun and immersive, you really get a feel for how these people are struggling in the world they live in. Great Idea for brink, looking forward to the DLC. IMO Brink is a must buy for anyone who loves FPS. Expand
  65. May 14, 2011
    The singleplayer is really difficult due to AI issues on player's team. However MP is totally worth it. The hole idea of a team based game, where nobody can handle the match alone is awesome. Every game developer should keep that in mind.
  66. May 14, 2011
    Super fun game. Aside from the technical issues experienced on launch day (the devs have already released 2 patches within the game's first week which resolved most issues) I have had a blast with this game. It really reminds me of the character customization of an MMO + the character persistance and rewards of Team Fortress 2 + episodic mission structure of L4D2 + the teamwork of BadSuper fun game. Aside from the technical issues experienced on launch day (the devs have already released 2 patches within the game's first week which resolved most issues) I have had a blast with this game. It really reminds me of the character customization of an MMO + the character persistance and rewards of Team Fortress 2 + episodic mission structure of L4D2 + the teamwork of Bad Company 2. Honestly that's the best way I can sum up this game. There are plenty of weapons to unlock and choose from, and the character customization really is groundbreaking for the FPS genre. Also, I find the ability system very innovative for the FPS genre as well. You can purchase abilities for your class with "talent points". IE., if you are an engineer you can learn to build a turret, set landmines, or if you are a solider you can learn to shoot your own grenades after you have thrown them to make it explode when you want them to. And there are also passive abilities like: plus to healing, plus to armor, faster reloading, etc. There are tons of abilities to learn and it really keeps your character unique - not just in terms of aesthetics. The AI makes singleplayer challenging and there have been times where I honestly forget that I'm playing against bots instead of real players. But multiplayer is where this game really shines. The class design really encourages teamwork, and it actually works! Multiple missions can be active at any given time, so your team must communicate and work together to achieve multiple objectives at once. IE., there are escort missions where you escort a wounded NPC to safety, or maybe you need to break into the lab and steal some encrypted data and then make it to the transmission station to transmit the data back to your HQ. These are not just as simple as cap the flag or team deathmatch style found in the likes of Bad Company 2 or CODBOPS

I upgraded my PC to a Core i5 2500k Sandy Bridge CPU and a GeForce GTX 560ti from a Core 2 Duo @ 3.6Ghz and a GeForce GTX 560ti and the game runs smooth as silk now. I have to say I'm extremely pleased with the performance as well as the graphics at this point. The art style is very appealing to me and is honestly quite a bit different than anything I have seen before. Also, the gun play is very fluid. I have been experiencing some strange bugs with the game's audio. For some reason the sound will mud out at times. But with as fast as the devs are patching bugs, I wouldn't be surprised if it's not fixed within a few days.

Bottom line, now that the launch week technical issues have been patched and are behind us, you should have hundreds of hours of fun in Brink. If you like cooperative team-based game play with interesting objectives, NOT the plain ole team deathmatch, and persistent character growth that is rewarding and intuitive then get this game now.
  67. May 15, 2011
    Spot on game, Great graphics, amazing play, the AI could use a little more updating though its not as bad as when it was first released, levels = new outfits, challenges = new guns and accessory's. multi-player is very enjoyable and there is a fair amount of maps, there is no death match which would be pretty fun but it gets you away from all the call of duty bull. BRINK is very team basedSpot on game, Great graphics, amazing play, the AI could use a little more updating though its not as bad as when it was first released, levels = new outfits, challenges = new guns and accessory's. multi-player is very enjoyable and there is a fair amount of maps, there is no death match which would be pretty fun but it gets you away from all the call of duty bull. BRINK is very team based requires some skill which is why people do not like it. at first i'll admit i was not at all very good. after 7 in game hours i have become very good, i love the fact that they added in Park-lour (free-running) this is a good turn, and makes the game very fun indeed. Expand
  68. May 10, 2011
    good game, needs some work few bugs but overall nice change of pace. this game is about teamwork end of story. if they add some more maps,weapons,skills and what not it be awesome game. if the Dev gives it some more love it will be a shiny star.
  69. May 11, 2011
    Brink is quite the game. It doesn't suffer many of the problems of it's console counterparts at the moment (most notably lag). It is relatively lag free, and is an absolute blast if you love to work with a team to complete objective. It's fantastic in that you can work together, but you cannot go lone wolf here, people who have a "Call of Duty mindset" beware that you cannot go it aloneBrink is quite the game. It doesn't suffer many of the problems of it's console counterparts at the moment (most notably lag). It is relatively lag free, and is an absolute blast if you love to work with a team to complete objective. It's fantastic in that you can work together, but you cannot go lone wolf here, people who have a "Call of Duty mindset" beware that you cannot go it alone and expect to win. The AI bots are admittedly pretty boring to play with, but the goal of this game was obviously multiplayer, team-based gaming, and it completely nails that. That's what I bought it for, don't listen to people or sites that have reviewed only the 360 code of the game, as the PC version is a totally different breed! Expand
  70. May 14, 2011
    Good game just needs a bit of tweeking and it will be Great. I've already seen an improvement since day 1. This is my favourite fps game out at the moment but that could be because there is just a lack of good quality pc games. This is definitely worth a go if you are waiting for BF3. There are a few bugs but hopefully they will be sorted soon.
  71. May 10, 2011
    I can start by saying if you're looking for an amazing single-player experience, this probably isn't the game for you. While it does have a very entertaining campaign, the aspect of this game that truly shines in the multiplayer. It's incredibly refreshing to play an FPS that returns to the genre's roots of actually requiring solid teamwork in order to succeed, making it difficult for theI can start by saying if you're looking for an amazing single-player experience, this probably isn't the game for you. While it does have a very entertaining campaign, the aspect of this game that truly shines in the multiplayer. It's incredibly refreshing to play an FPS that returns to the genre's roots of actually requiring solid teamwork in order to succeed, making it difficult for the lone-wolf types to accomplish anything on their own. The game looks great (always been a fan of this particular artstyle), and the individual character customization is quite a lot of fun to play around with as well. Overall, if you're into strong team-based multiplayer, I'd say BRINK is definitely a game to try. It's not without its shortcomings, but they aren't enough to stop me from likely enjoying this game well into the future. Expand
  72. May 10, 2011
    It's fun to play and it adds some strategy aspect to the FPS genre which might make it less appealing to people looking for a dumb shooter like CoD. It's kind of like Borderlands with more content, better graphics and more exciting game play. I think most people are just comparing it to CoD which prevents them from being open to new ideas. It wasn't meant to be in the same category. ThisIt's fun to play and it adds some strategy aspect to the FPS genre which might make it less appealing to people looking for a dumb shooter like CoD. It's kind of like Borderlands with more content, better graphics and more exciting game play. I think most people are just comparing it to CoD which prevents them from being open to new ideas. It wasn't meant to be in the same category. This one is definitely worth a try! Expand
  73. May 10, 2011
    First off, I'm aware of that this game has some performance issues, especially with ATI cards but these are the kinds of things that will be patched soon enough because Splash Damage is a developer that takes care of its games

While it does suffer from the above issues and some shotty AI, the gameplay here is something entirely original and what we should have had sooner. It is very fast paced and full of action thanks to the SMART system and abilities, yet it also requires a fair share of strategy and tactics to pull off a win because completing objectives is always key and the best way to handle these objectives is working as a team.

This is because in this game, not only is there power in numbers, but team members can buff each other with health, ammo, and other such things to give them the tactical edge and help them complete the said objectives. While singleplayer is just kinda "okay", the mutliplayer is a unique experience that CAN'T be missed out on.
  74. May 29, 2011
    The game has flaws but if you can get past them you'll enjoy yourself. However, you'll find yourself time and time again being irritated by those flaws and sometimes pushing yourself to keep with it. Customization is nice but not as in depth as they made it out to be. Body types add some depth to gameplay, but a in many ways unbalanced. The maps are poorly designed with many of them beingThe game has flaws but if you can get past them you'll enjoy yourself. However, you'll find yourself time and time again being irritated by those flaws and sometimes pushing yourself to keep with it. Customization is nice but not as in depth as they made it out to be. Body types add some depth to gameplay, but a in many ways unbalanced. The maps are poorly designed with many of them being a campfest on the objective, and the attacking team having to push through it. The gunplay is severely imbalanced, not only by the skewed gun stats which favor some weapons, but also by the ability buffs of various classes which makes the weapon damage inconsistent and infuriating at times - ignoring this however, the guns still seem completely random in the amount of damage they do at times. The whole objective system isn't as influential as SD made out, with side objectives having little impact on the main objective or map play. The SMART system is very fluent though, and works very well. It creates some very fluent and fast gameplay and basically makes BRINK what it is, and worth your time. It's a shame that it's often wasted on corridor areas. Overall the game is worth your time, and you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it - but it might only tie you over until the game you're waiting for is released. Expand
  75. May 11, 2011
    This game definitely has a lot of potential. It is fun and a change of pace to your usual shooter. As long as splash damage can fix the sound problems and some of the bugs in a timely manner I think it'll do well. On launch night I was playing single player and the AI was pretty bad but last night it actually seemed better so I'm not sure if they hotfixed something in or what but it'sThis game definitely has a lot of potential. It is fun and a change of pace to your usual shooter. As long as splash damage can fix the sound problems and some of the bugs in a timely manner I think it'll do well. On launch night I was playing single player and the AI was pretty bad but last night it actually seemed better so I'm not sure if they hotfixed something in or what but it's fairly acceptable now. If you're on the fence about it, wait a week and see what splash damage does for fixes but overall I'm happy I bought it. Expand
  76. May 11, 2011
    I've played about Brink on the PC about 6 hours now and it's better than Borderlands, Bf:BC2, and CoD BOps. The gameplay is what I was hoping for as a RTCW/W:ET fan. The movement speed certainly isn't as fast as those games, but the parkour movement adds a different movement dynamic since there isn't any circle strafe jumping. If you like having to work as a team and being rewarded forI've played about Brink on the PC about 6 hours now and it's better than Borderlands, Bf:BC2, and CoD BOps. The gameplay is what I was hoping for as a RTCW/W:ET fan. The movement speed certainly isn't as fast as those games, but the parkour movement adds a different movement dynamic since there isn't any circle strafe jumping. If you like having to work as a team and being rewarded for your ability to track players as well as twitch shoot, this might be a good game for you. The weapons are balanced well from what I can see but many CoD/BF players haven't learned to shoot from the hip at close to medium range. So far, most of what I see on the servers and in some of these reviews (day 3) is people trying to play TDM and people not understanding which class is important for which mission. This baffles me as the class selection wheel highlights the most important class. There are even tutorial videos! People are currently also only looking for the most direct route to the objectives and not exploring parkour routes. However, the game is not without some bugs. One map appears to not have sound (bug) and using s_restart doesn't work. To be fair, Borderlands, BF:BC2 (hit detection/MASTER server crashes), and CoD BlackOps had just as many and as severe bugs on release but weren't penalized in the reviews for them. And don't listed to the idiot that said the developers are unresponsive. I see posts from them every day. They are trying to identify the bugs and squash them as quickly as possible. Expand
  77. May 10, 2011
    Yes, there is a learning curve here, and yes, there are some bugs, but it's only Day 1. These kinds of things are expected, especially from something like this. But once you learn how to use the S.M.A.R.T. system and complete a few challenges, you'll come to absolutely adore this game. Also, could we please stop complaining about the bugs? Name one game that was released without a single bug.
  78. May 10, 2011
    Let me start by saying I wanted this to be as different as possible from the other cookie cutter shooters currently out there. It does achieve that with some revolutionary "ideas". Unfortunately it is the delivery on those ideas that fall short. It's hard to place this game in a genre as it is somewhere between a run and gun COD style and a Global Agenda hit point style game. As much as ILet me start by saying I wanted this to be as different as possible from the other cookie cutter shooters currently out there. It does achieve that with some revolutionary "ideas". Unfortunately it is the delivery on those ideas that fall short. It's hard to place this game in a genre as it is somewhere between a run and gun COD style and a Global Agenda hit point style game. As much as I wanted to love it the game feels off from the start and never seems to get comfortable. Hopefully other designers will take the ideas from this game and build something that plays as good as it sounds on paper. It gets a mixed rating from me. If it played as good as it sounded on paper I would have given a positive review. The opposite is true in that If it didn't have some fresh new ideas I would have given it a negative review based on the gameplay alone. Expand
  79. May 10, 2011
    It isn't the best game but not the worst. Brink is for gamers looking for an objective type gaming society. The only way to get anywhere in multiplayer is with teamwork and communication. The customization of characters really isn't too exciting, you pick armor, and change the color really. But even with the color hanging, you only have about 5 color options for every piece and if you mixIt isn't the best game but not the worst. Brink is for gamers looking for an objective type gaming society. The only way to get anywhere in multiplayer is with teamwork and communication. The customization of characters really isn't too exciting, you pick armor, and change the color really. But even with the color hanging, you only have about 5 color options for every piece and if you mix 2 colors your guy just looks horrific. So my message to all readers is get the game if you want a fun online experience that implements cool features with teamwork. But if you want to just be that campaign guy....DO NOT BUY! There is no campaign, it is actually just arenas that you can play, I Mean when you buy the game, you can play the last level first and work your way back if you wanted to. Expand
  80. May 10, 2011
    The game play is fast and fun. Splash took the objective and class based game play that worked in "Return to castle wolfenstein: Enemy territory" and made a few changes/improvements.

It would be a 10/10 if the had implemented some sort of party system to play with friends.
  81. May 11, 2011
    Brink is a very different game. Stepping into it expecting your typical Deathmatch, CTF, etc. and a singleplayer campaign is what Brink isn't about. It ties the campaign levels into multi-player. Brink is all about having teams working together and movement. Freedom of movement in Brink is a welcomed feature (in my opinion) for the FPS genre. The game encourages players to take differentBrink is a very different game. Stepping into it expecting your typical Deathmatch, CTF, etc. and a singleplayer campaign is what Brink isn't about. It ties the campaign levels into multi-player. Brink is all about having teams working together and movement. Freedom of movement in Brink is a welcomed feature (in my opinion) for the FPS genre. The game encourages players to take different routes and think of strategic ways to flank your enemies. This game is based on team work instead of kills. You don't even know how many kills you get, just XP. This shows how much the developers wanted people to focus on teamwork. Customization in this game is AMAZING. So much stuff to unlock, and you unlock it quick! No grinding and grinding for a gun or a item. Play for a bit and you'll get what you want. Each class has a set of unique abilities and perks to go with them. Such as the engineer building faster, Medic making regen health regenerate even faster or Soldier giving more ammo. There are so much different play styles and looks that it's hard to get in this one review. The flaws of this game are the weak single-player. While the tied campaign missions into multi-player is a good idea, I was expecting a single-player with characters and all that. But don't let this one flaw kill the game like it did for many other reviewers. This is the only flaw in this game that has bothered me. The game is smooth and very unique. Guns are a blast to customize and try. Have some friends play with you and you'll love this game. Don't let it's new ideas scare you away, you will love it. Expand
  82. May 10, 2011
    I was pretty surprised how good this game was. Sure there is some performance issues, but I bet they get fixed. Not as good as Quake Wars was, but still, I'm very satisfied. But I have to warn, Brink isn't for every gamer. If you liked Enemy Territory/Quake Wars, I'm sure you will like it, but if you have played only CoDs, stay away, this isn't for you.
  83. May 11, 2011
    How the game handles as far as basically everything outside of actual playing bothers me. There's no lobby system, there's no favorite server lists, there's no filtering on the servers you're looking for, and most glaringly my **** game goes to 4 fps on the server list screen. It's extremely minimal to a point just past annoyance. There's alot of features that we expect because they'reHow the game handles as far as basically everything outside of actual playing bothers me. There's no lobby system, there's no favorite server lists, there's no filtering on the servers you're looking for, and most glaringly my **** game goes to 4 fps on the server list screen. It's extremely minimal to a point just past annoyance. There's alot of features that we expect because they're not only in every game of this type, but useful. Now, as far as in-game goes. . . The weapons suck. They offer little variety, most of them are not satisfying to use, and it feels like an unpolished engine. That's not mentioning that it's far, far too easy to unlock them all, as well as attachments. It leaves nothing to work on but easily obtainable levels to unlock cosmetic appearance options for your character. I would rather have a vast arsenal of weapons, most with their own characteristics and feel, than what feels like the same thing but with minor visual differences. I would rather work to get my stuff. There's a sense of satisfaction and victory over working for 2 weeks to get to max level, getting a new, interesting weapon each 2 or 3 levels. Instead, I get everything in an hour, and from the looks of it, I could get max level in 2-3 days. This is problematic when I'm looking at the variety of maps. There's, what, less than 10? Each one being its own gametype, not customizable? Now I may be wrong in this as I don't know what the server and map options do to aid in this, but from how it LOOKS, I'm not seeing a lengthy future for this game unless they release constant content, or add a hell of alot more variety. Also, there's no reason to use any of the BR's. Or any other weapon for that matter. The SMG's are superior in the end. They're faster, they deal the same amount of damage, and they hold a hell of alot more ammo. Why should I use a boring, uninteresting weapon that handles exactly the same as the superior SMG I'm using? Hell, equip two of these things and you're golden. The only hope I have for this game is that it feels much more interesting and varied with individual class skills and mechanics when people get used to it in a few weeks, as well as get max level. Hopefully having more things to do class-wise, and having less derpy teammates will help with this extreme sense of dread I'm getting from these crap weapons. Lastly, and I really should not be making this comparison, the weapons need to be more like CoD. I don't really care for the franchise much anymore, but one thing they do right is the weapons. There aren't many that feel the same as others. For example: An AK feels vastly different than an Uzi. In comparison, a hard hitting BR compared to a fast little SMG in Brink feel damn near identical. The recoil is the same, the damage feels the same, hell they even **** sound identical. If I were to properly rate this game I would give it a 5/10. It has promise, but it also has many glaring issues that make me wary to even bother playing. It has some real good ideas, and most are implemented well, but everything else feels either rushed, or they didn't even try. I like the objectives, I like the class system, I like the customization. I hate the weapons, I hate the lack of progress at obtaining things, I hate the lack of variety between the weapons I already hate. That's double hate. Expand
  84. May 15, 2011
    This game doesn't deserve these low scores, many games have bugs, many games have worse AI than brink has, it shouldn't just be reviewed by people after 1 hour of played time. Brink gives you a lot, allows you to be able to get out of spawn before dieing (Unlike one reviewer said), it gives you addictive and compelling game-play (Which many FPS games are not doing) - MOH, BFBC2 etc.
  85. May 11, 2011
    Great team based game, no more of this one army Call of Duty inspired BS. Seems like a TF2 but for the hardcore gamer. Only problems with the game are typical launch day problems you find with every game.
  86. May 14, 2011
    Really liked this game, its not about going around by yourself and kill everything you can, you need to stay with your team and focus on the objectives, the SMART works perfectly, the customization is great, the only bad thing is that the game has some bugs, which I hope will get fixed with time.

THIS GAME IS NOT A 6.7 OR A 7.1, ITS ABOUT 9, not 10 just for the bugs.
  87. May 11, 2011
    Not impressed at all. Terrible performance issues with ATI card users make the game almost unplayable. Also, several common resolutions aren't even supported. The graphics are pretty good but more importantly, the gameplay is nothing special and gets old quick. The character customization is fun in the menu but in-game, its useless as it's an first-person shooter and you rarely seeNot impressed at all. Terrible performance issues with ATI card users make the game almost unplayable. Also, several common resolutions aren't even supported. The graphics are pretty good but more importantly, the gameplay is nothing special and gets old quick. The character customization is fun in the menu but in-game, its useless as it's an first-person shooter and you rarely see your own character. I would not recommend this game in the slightest. Thorough disappointment. Expand
  88. May 14, 2011
    Game is fine. Im using ATI and with a bit of tweaking and rolling back drivers I achieve a solid 60fps on a 4 year old pc with a q6600 and a 5770. As for people giving this game "0" because of reasons not to do with the game need to stop posting - after all this for reviews, not opinions about the fact you live in Australia or wherever and can't buy the game at the prices elsewhere inGame is fine. Im using ATI and with a bit of tweaking and rolling back drivers I achieve a solid 60fps on a 4 year old pc with a q6600 and a 5770. As for people giving this game "0" because of reasons not to do with the game need to stop posting - after all this for reviews, not opinions about the fact you live in Australia or wherever and can't buy the game at the prices elsewhere in the world.

The game just needs a few bugs ironing out and to be fair to SD, they've managed to get a game out at release that is very much playable and fun.
  89. May 15, 2011
    I don't understand how this game got so many low scores. The textures are beautiful, the AI is sweet, the Campaign is, well, that's the worst part, and it's good overall, the character customization is EPIC, and the S.M.A.R.T. system is legit. The bugs are pretty much fixed now. I recommend this to EVERYONE.
  90. May 12, 2011
    In reality, Brink is an 8.5. Rounding down to 8 to be fair. Though i will say if you go into brink for a single player experience you will very disappointed. HOWEVER, If you got into brink for a multi-player experience that's different than say call of duty or battlefield... you'll get what you payed for. Brink's Multiplayer is better than any other game thats come out recently, Homefront,In reality, Brink is an 8.5. Rounding down to 8 to be fair. Though i will say if you go into brink for a single player experience you will very disappointed. HOWEVER, If you got into brink for a multi-player experience that's different than say call of duty or battlefield... you'll get what you payed for. Brink's Multiplayer is better than any other game thats come out recently, Homefront, Crysis 2, Black Ops. Nothing brink brings to the table is all that "new", they just do a good job of combining it all. Once you pick it up you see elements of Halo, Borderlands, Team Fortress, Battlefield, Call of Duty. All these bits and pieces from other games make brink unlike anything else out there. If you enjoy team play style FPS you will love this game. Coming from a team fortress background, Call of Duty was always fun, but missing that team element. Brink NAILS the team play. Even more than team fortress does, which is surprising.

So the moral of the story: If you are interested in Multi-player, get Brink, you wont be disappointed. If you want a single player game, dont get Brink.
  91. May 13, 2011
    It has potential, with patches, and a Mod tool kit, it should really open up the game. It feels old school like Quake 3 but with objectives and classes like more modern team based shooters. With some patches, and if they deliver the tools to mod it, I think it will kick ass. I find it fun, but it is pretty buggy, I thought the AI Was actually pretty decent compared to some games, they willIt has potential, with patches, and a Mod tool kit, it should really open up the game. It feels old school like Quake 3 but with objectives and classes like more modern team based shooters. With some patches, and if they deliver the tools to mod it, I think it will kick ass. I find it fun, but it is pretty buggy, I thought the AI Was actually pretty decent compared to some games, they will do objectives and help out, but they also sometimes go off into la la land and forget about it. Expand
  92. May 13, 2011
    The only thing I was really disappointed about was the exclusion of free-roaming, because the game just seemed perfect for it. The world developed for Brink was imaginative, to an extent, and had plenty of potential to be explored a la Borderlands. Overall, however, the game is a worthy title that shamelessly "borrows" a few concepts from other IPs and builds on them, melding together aThe only thing I was really disappointed about was the exclusion of free-roaming, because the game just seemed perfect for it. The world developed for Brink was imaginative, to an extent, and had plenty of potential to be explored a la Borderlands. Overall, however, the game is a worthy title that shamelessly "borrows" a few concepts from other IPs and builds on them, melding together a very decent shooter that, fortunately, isn't another CoD clone. Definitely worth at least an 8/10, and worth a try. Expand
  93. May 12, 2011
    SplashDamage has again succeeded in delivering a game that's different from the rest. It's all about teamplay. If you are a lonewolf you prolly won't fully enjoy the game but if you like teamplay Brink is THE game.

Played it for about 10 hours now (coop, mp, solo, with and without friends) and enjoyed every minute of it!
  94. May 12, 2011
    I haven't been disappointed with Brink at all. Love the game so far. I've only played about 8-9 hours and it was on co-op campaign, so I can't say much about other areas of the game or longevity. For me it most resembles a FPS version of TF2, not a bad thing! I have primary been playing a Medic and have enjoyed it a lot, but certain aspects may need a bit of a tweak, for example adrenalinI haven't been disappointed with Brink at all. Love the game so far. I've only played about 8-9 hours and it was on co-op campaign, so I can't say much about other areas of the game or longevity. For me it most resembles a FPS version of TF2, not a bad thing! I have primary been playing a Medic and have enjoyed it a lot, but certain aspects may need a bit of a tweak, for example adrenalin boost lasts a mere 5 seconds but these little things are somewhat expected at launch and will most likely get adjusted. Brink has done a great job of making teamwork important and the lone wolf style will generally not pay off. Expand
  95. May 12, 2011
    THE game we were waiting for. Quake, Enemy Territory players, wander no more. Brink is our messiah ! I was doubtful at once but am now convinced. The game is extremely good right now and has huge competitive potential. A few things caused problems at launch, but most don't matter for the current pc release. Sadly, lots of negative reviews are because the game lacks a real "single playerTHE game we were waiting for. Quake, Enemy Territory players, wander no more. Brink is our messiah ! I was doubtful at once but am now convinced. The game is extremely good right now and has huge competitive potential. A few things caused problems at launch, but most don't matter for the current pc release. Sadly, lots of negative reviews are because the game lacks a real "single player content" and an interesting "plot". BUT WHO CARES ? It's a multiplayer game, shooter feeling are great, movement is very nice, customization is very well done for both characters and weapons. Maps are awesomesauce.
    FPS players looking for a game rewarding SKILL should NOT miss this !
  96. May 13, 2011
    Brink is a genuinely fun game. It's been quite awhile since I've been hooked on a competitive multiplayer first person shooter (think Battlefield 2). It feels good to return to my PC gaming roots, Brink has a familiar feeling and I like it. I'm sick of the Call of Duties and the Battlefields of the competitive multiplayer FPS scene. I enjoy games that are clearly geared towards PC gamers,Brink is a genuinely fun game. It's been quite awhile since I've been hooked on a competitive multiplayer first person shooter (think Battlefield 2). It feels good to return to my PC gaming roots, Brink has a familiar feeling and I like it. I'm sick of the Call of Duties and the Battlefields of the competitive multiplayer FPS scene. I enjoy games that are clearly geared towards PC gamers, although this game is available on consoles, make no mistake, Splash Damage loves PC gaming and it shows in Brink. Brink is not without it's flaws, most of it's issues can be fixed via a patch and I faith in Splash Damage to deliver. Anyone rating this game a 10 is only fooling themselves, I'm infatuated with Brink but lets not get be silly here, no game is worth a 10 and definitely not Brink. Brink is a solid game worth your money if you want a competitive, team-base, class-based, MULTIPLAYER, First Person Shooter. Brink loses points for advertising as a Single Player/Co-op and Competitive Multiplayer game, in it's current state the only part worth playing is the competitive multiplayer. The bots in Brink are fairly useless. If you buy Brink for the single player, I feel for you but you should have done your research. Buy Brink for the multiplayer and you shall be rewarded with a great experience. Expand
  97. May 13, 2011
    Love this game! Brink takes a number of great ideas and throws them together into one great shooter. Brink can be played offline, but is definitely better when played in coop mode with friends or in versus. I'd have to say I completely disagree with some of these reviews on this site and some of the professional reviews. Did that IGN reviewer even look at IGN's scoring guidelines beforeLove this game! Brink takes a number of great ideas and throws them together into one great shooter. Brink can be played offline, but is definitely better when played in coop mode with friends or in versus. I'd have to say I completely disagree with some of these reviews on this site and some of the professional reviews. Did that IGN reviewer even look at IGN's scoring guidelines before reviewing the game? I am sorely disappointed in him. Anyhow, I would say that the graphics are gorgeous and objectives make for a more fun experience than straight deathmatch games can deliver. The movement system is very fluid. Now I find myself wishing that all games had it. I love being able to advance my characters whether I play in SP, Coop, or Versus games. The game definitely rewards teamwork as you will find that players who are better team players will find themselves higher on the scoreboard than a lone wolf who just kills lots of things. Weapons are customizable and feel very responsive. The game does have a few bugs atm, but nothing too serious and patches are on the way. For some reason this game seems to be polarizing. If you look at the distribution of reviews here and around the web, it seems that some people hate this game, but many more love it. You won't find many in between. I've been playing this with a few friends since it launched and we all agree- Brink is a blast. If you like cooperative games, I don't think you should pass this one up. Collapse
  98. May 14, 2011
    Well i've only played this game for about 3 hours but i can say its epic to the max. And Splash Damage is showing they're support releasing 2 patches in 3 days and making a DLC free
  99. May 16, 2011
    BRINK's game play design is excellent. There is always something helpful and rewarding to do. Teamwork is facilitated by game play and interface elements. Teamwork is not difficult because it's built into the core game design in a way that is much smarter than Left 4 Dead (for example). I am disappointed with the bad reviews this game has received - there is a finesse in the design thatBRINK's game play design is excellent. There is always something helpful and rewarding to do. Teamwork is facilitated by game play and interface elements. Teamwork is not difficult because it's built into the core game design in a way that is much smarter than Left 4 Dead (for example). I am disappointed with the bad reviews this game has received - there is a finesse in the design that must have gone over peoples heads.
    There are definitely some rough edges and bugs. I would consider giving this game a 10 if it were not for those.
    Still - the core of what makes this good is there and in tact. The bugs have not stopped me from enjoying this and perceiving the quality and cleverness that is in this game.
    It is, sadly, over hyped.
  100. May 11, 2011
    You people complaining of bugs people seem to forget about Bethesda's habit of releasing games with bugs in them and then releasing a patch a few days later that fixes them. Overall its a good game, not a perfect game in any way but still a very good buy. Besides the (most likely) first week only grahpics bugs we've come to expect from Bethesda (none of which are truly game breaking, butYou people complaining of bugs people seem to forget about Bethesda's habit of releasing games with bugs in them and then releasing a patch a few days later that fixes them. Overall its a good game, not a perfect game in any way but still a very good buy. Besides the (most likely) first week only grahpics bugs we've come to expect from Bethesda (none of which are truly game breaking, but the bloom one is irratating in outdoors maps) and the texture pop the graphics are nice and stylized and the maps are well built even if slightly repetivie in looks (but not so much in design) and despite the insaley extensive custimization its very easy to tell resistance from security. The gameplay will shock the cod-kiddies because of the SMART systems ability to land a man with a shotgun on your corner-camping arse and the fact that lone wolfing finally renders those who beleive "team" is spelled with an I at the bottom of the scoreboad; you get points for teamwork and not just for kills meaning running around giving damage buffs, healing, or setting up turrets are effective ways to come in first. Medic is actually a commonly played class and no one spams the operative class like the spy is spammed in TF2 unless the situation calls for it. To call it a TF2 clone is to ignore the fact that its actually a Wolfenstien:ET remake, and i actually played some TF2 a few days before to find that Brink actually has more teamwork going on than a game with the word "team" in its title. Overall Its not groundbreaking like promised, but Its definatley more than worthy a buy for anyone who is getting bored of the same brown bloom "your fighting Russia but in a desert somehow" shooters and will more than stave you off until BF3 finally arrives and we get to experience what its like to tip a multistory building on a camper with C4. Expand
  101. May 13, 2011

1. Oct 19, 2011
    Brink is destined to be a cult classic (on PC), for us fans of Quake Wars. Has no single player value but high entry difficulty due to tight team focus and sprawling maps. Good, but not nearly as damn good as Quake Wars. I like Brink but it is no wonder that most gamers don't. [June 2011]
  2. Jul 26, 2011
    Who would have thought that this highly ambitious concept would turn out to be such a bland game?
  3. Jun 24, 2011
    Brink's unique visual style and great customization options save the day. Although its core gameplay needs some polishing, it's a solid multiplayer-only experience nevertheless. [July 2011, p.81]