Brink PC

6.0

1. May 10, 2011
    It's not a perfect game, but hey not all games are perfect. The one thing I have the most hate for is the AI, and how derpy it is. I play on the highest setting and it still doesn't increase how smart they are or not.

For gameplay, I love TF2, which made me love this game all the more. Objective based games are probably my favorite. The one thing that I didn't really like is there was no post-game score. I am curious how I did in the game, but I don't want to keep pressing "tab" to see my score, I won't remember to do it after every game. Sure it's a bit buggy, but the game JUST came out, it'll get it's fair share of patches (Hopefully fix the derpy AI) but I believe this game is pretty good for my tastes.
  2. May 10, 2011
    What can I say, I love this game. Is it like any other game on the market? Bits from here and pieces from there. What is great about Brink is that it pulls in aspects from so many other games and puts it into an amazing package. Coming from a RTCW and ET background, no other game has come close to filling in the void that my first real game has created. Finally something has come to fitWhat can I say, I love this game. Is it like any other game on the market? Bits from here and pieces from there. What is great about Brink is that it pulls in aspects from so many other games and puts it into an amazing package. Coming from a RTCW and ET background, no other game has come close to filling in the void that my first real game has created. Finally something has come to fit the bill. What you have here is a team based game. Maps are driven by objectives instead of kills and each person is vital in some way to the success of the team. Add in fast movements and actual gunfights that don't end from a single bullet and you start to see what Brink offers. Definitely a great buy for me. Expand
  3. May 10, 2011
    Brink is exceptional at numerous things. The gunplay at this early stage feels balanced, the Story is weighty and backed up by an impressive multiplayer. The unique art style is incredible for such low specs, and can utilise the 360 game-pad for those either with a bad case of arthritis, or seeking a more powerful x360 version on a PC. Whilst the are GOOD things to be exceptionalBrink is exceptional at numerous things. The gunplay at this early stage feels balanced, the Story is weighty and backed up by an impressive multiplayer. The unique art style is incredible for such low specs, and can utilise the 360 game-pad for those either with a bad case of arthritis, or seeking a more powerful x360 version on a PC. Whilst the are GOOD things to be exceptional at, there is a minor bug issue. Remember folks, this IS splash damage making the game here. It'll get patched Whilst that may frustrate gamers that the game is 'broken', it is most certainly NOT. Its immersive, impressive and intellectual. The SMART movement system works, with a minor error or two. Brink seems to stand out between the more modern blood fests of FPS's these days. It doesn't punish you for not pushing the correct button at the specific time, or feature ludicrous areas where player input has no effect. No, Brink is colourful, a great experience online, doesn't feature and abysmal singleplayer, and wait for it... It's Fun. That's all that matters. Is it a FUN game. Yes. It is.

(In case you can't read well, imagine BF:BC2 with Mirrors Edge agility, with the fun of TF2. A recipe for FUN)
  4. May 10, 2011
    Awesome game. Great artwork, smooth gameplay, focus on teamplay, SMART rocks... i really love it. I don't care that the KI is not that good or that there is no real singleplayer. This game has its focus on multiplayer/teamwork and that part is just brilliant.
  5. May 10, 2011
    This is the game I want for a long time. You would only like this game when you know what will be expected and how the game is to be played. Unique art style, customizations and abilities, objectives with different classes. In recent years, most FPS games released are just like clones to each other. I can't deny that COD: MW has made a forward leap in FPS genre. Yet, with its success, allThis is the game I want for a long time. You would only like this game when you know what will be expected and how the game is to be played. Unique art style, customizations and abilities, objectives with different classes. In recent years, most FPS games released are just like clones to each other. I can't deny that COD: MW has made a forward leap in FPS genre. Yet, with its success, all the other games start to copy its style. This is not the case for BRINK. No more TDM, no more one hit kills, replaced by team-based objective mode. In this game, skill of the player is not the paramount, but how the players work together for greater good. It Expand
  6. May 10, 2011
    This game is a welcome break from the shovelware FPS games that have flooded the market. Instead of just killing your opponents, the game is objective based. Supplying your team mates with ammo, weapon upgrades or health earns you just as many, if not more experience points. Capturing objectives, building obstacles for the opposing team and taking command posts are all important keys toThis game is a welcome break from the shovelware FPS games that have flooded the market. Instead of just killing your opponents, the game is objective based. Supplying your team mates with ammo, weapon upgrades or health earns you just as many, if not more experience points. Capturing objectives, building obstacles for the opposing team and taking command posts are all important keys to victory, if your team just goes in blasting and can't work together, you won't get anything accomplished. The parkour is fun and can be useful as well. On the down side, there are a number of bugs that will hopefully be patched (server and sound problems), and a few balance issues that could benefit from some retooling. I really hope more maps and other unlockables will be added in the future and the bugs ironed out, but otherwise it's exactly what I've been looking for. Expand
  7. May 10, 2011
    Like all new games, Brink has it's share of problems. However, most of these are already being worked on to be resolved. But we're not here to discuss the release bugs; we're here to talk about the game itself.

If you're looking for an experience similar to Call of Duty? This game will disappoint. If you're not a completely retarded fanboy, who loves team-based multiplayer mayhem, then Brink is most certainly a game you should be looking at getting.

The game play is solid as a rock. You're not going to become a 1-man army, as there are rarely any one shot kills, and certain objectives which must be completed to win a map can only be done by certain classes. No more planting or defusing bombs as a medic, like you see in Battlefield. Accomplishing goals can only be done through good team work, as does destroying your opponents, as the more fire you have on a target, the faster it goes down.

Splash Damage has even found a way to make an assist system that doesn't completely suck balls. Every other game with an assist system, requires you get past a certain damage threshold before you can be acknowledged for an assist, and ends up giving you less if you're not the one to finish the guy off. In Brink, all damage to enemies gains XP proportionally. If you do 75% of the damage to a guy, and one of your team mates does the other 25%, you, having done the most damage, get the most XP from it.

The game highly encourages team play, because as I have said, it is very much required. Say your team doesn't have any operatives, but you need to hack a console to proceed. You won't be needing to shout at your team mates to switch classes just to get **** down, since your objective wheel will give you an objective to change class, granting you XP when you do, making it a great incentive to change to a different class, even if it is your least favorite.

Everything in combat feels fluid and dynamic. You can jump, sprint, slide, climb, run on walls... And all while still being able to shoot your gun while performing any of these actions. It adds a lot to the depth of the game. Running across an open room and getting tore up? Just slide behind some cover. Sprinting down a hallway and run smack dab into a group of the enemy? Slide into them and knock 'em over like a bunch of bowling pins, then massacre them with SMG fire to their ugly faces. Enemy sniping you from behind cover? Toss a frag in there and knock him out of it, then give him a double tap to his nuts.

Don't trust the haters. If you had an interest in the game before the reviews, there should be no reason to assume you wouldn't like it now.
  8. May 10, 2011
    Brink is one of the best games I've ever played. The game has bits of some of the best games in the world and It's very own uniqueness such as the SMART system and the ability to create your own unique character
  9. May 10, 2011
    I waited and had this game preordered the first chance I could get my hands on it. I've been waiting and waiting for so long for a new fresh game to come and brink is truly that. Brink brings a HUGE mix of previous games into play and gives it own style. If you enjoy any of the following: TF2, CSS, BF2, BFBC2 you'll find some part of Brink to enjoy.
    Brink is a lot of fun with their
    Brink is a lot of fun with their S.M.A.R.T. system, and you can get some pretty cool combos going once you are running around. Leveling and ranking up in the system is not hard ANYTHING you do in the game counts towards your XP, so if you play offline, it counts, online it counts, you want to farm bots all day and night long and just power level, it counts.

So single player/solo play is a lot of fun, but multi-player is what this game is designed for, and its also designed to play with your friends that have it. So here is the current issue and reason why I gave it a 9/10, is the fact that on launch day they've been hyping up dedicated servers for PC, and I help a game community run servers, nothing makes me more mad and annoyed than a company releasing a game with nonfunctional dedicated servers. Now there are SOME people I've seen been able to get them up and running, but there are so few servers online working it makes it almost impossible to join one without it being full or the host shutting it down because of lag or boredom who knows.

Now I can only hope that Splash Damage will fix the dedicated server issues and also address and fix the local hosting ability for people so we can play with our friends those of us who don't wish or have the ability to host a dedicated server or want to rent one from a GSP.

All in all, if you are looking for a game to play, I'd highly suggest thing if you are willing to suck it up with some online play issues and hope that the dev. (Splash Damage) will in the next couple days/weeks fix these issues. This game is really meant for online play and its a disappointment not to have that ability on release night/day.
  10. May 10, 2011
    I played it. It's not as good as I hoped (the objectives are stupid--just walk up and hold down a button). But honestly COD has some REALLY STUPID stuff about it too. Like AIRSTRIKES in FPS Multiplayer! You don't put AIRSTRIKES in a competitive MP FPS game--it's not competitive FPS-wise. Brink reminds me of team fortress 2--i have not played tf2 but I saw a bit of video.
    I like Brink. I've
    I like Brink. I've only played single player offline. The computer is not that smart, but it's playable. I'd give it a 8/10 for now. If the graphics gets fixed to high-end PC standards, I'd give it an 9/10. Offline. I have not tried online yet.
    Really, the graphics look dated in actual gameplay. I already know PC will rule in graphics unless there is some kind of bug keeping the 360 from showing the graphics properly. Brink is supposed to have superb graphics and so for I only see that in the gun selection screen. Blame the limited 360 or a bug,--if it is a bug. Sad. Graphics affect the 'feel' of a game. It's all about sight and sound.
    The levels don't have as much verticality as I thought they would. It feels like BC2 but you can climb stuff. And yes, you do get stuck where you have to jump over things or climb a certain way. Not as in a glitch. As in, you cannot climb a corner-ledge in this one level. To climb you have to be facing head-on. As a medium or heavy you cannot run very fast. Feels like BC2 in the walking/running. A light weight can run a bit faster and climb better. You can run fast enough to escape, but not as fast as a 'parkour' or 'freerunning' game would inspire.
    Some of the guns don't feel 'heavy'. There really is no recoil except for sniper rifles. There is bullet spread. I see Brink as a game a certain group of people will enjoy--like the group that plays TF2. If it works online without the recently mentioned lag it will be decent (if they fix the graphics). It's just not what it was said to be. The levels often have small choke points! They should feel huge! I am ready for Next-gen gaming. Maybe I'll build a new PC...
  11. Apr 28, 2013
    Refreshing break from Call of Duty and it has some interesting gameplay. Also it is very fun with its additional features it has than other FPS shooter games out there like Battlefield or Call of Duty.
  12. Jun 22, 2013
    Wow, really... gotta say i'm depressed about the general state of "gamers" after finally playing this. IT IS AMAZING, splash damage should NOT be ashamed of this game. It's a wonderful addition to their previous games (having put 600+ hours into both Wolfenstein:ET and Quake Wars ET myself) I've actually avoided this game up to this point because I was afraid it would take another 600Wow, really... gotta say i'm depressed about the general state of "gamers" after finally playing this. IT IS AMAZING, splash damage should NOT be ashamed of this game. It's a wonderful addition to their previous games (having put 600+ hours into both Wolfenstein:ET and Quake Wars ET myself) I've actually avoided this game up to this point because I was afraid it would take another 600 hours of my life away, and after playing it for a bit, i'm sure it will. GAMERS, you should be ashamed of yourself for the harshness you've expressed towards this game. It's the most polished effort yet from Splash Damage and it's beautifully executed. Yes, I understand it actually takes intelligence to play it, sorry to all the dumbasses (the majority of the human population apparently) that just can't figure it out. If your not a troglodyte and capable of smart teamwork based gameplay you'd be doing yourself a disfavor not giving this a chance. Splash Damage's games have always been deep, which is why, after YEARS of playing them you'll find yourself coming back for more. Depth requires a little practice and time to get an understanding of the core elements/map knowledge/general strategy. Their games have never been the type you can just JUMP INTO, but rather are the type that age nicely with many plays and the hidden depth slowly is revealed. I look forward to delving deeper into this one and felt a need to come here and defend it. It's clear Splash Damage is avoiding any and all association with this game at this point and I find that sad.You shouldn't feel that way, i'm sorry the world isn't 'up to speed' with you but please, please, PLEASE don't stop making intelligent games. Your one of the last bastions of challenging team based gameplay and I'd hate to see you 'crumble' under the pressure of the modern 'casual' gamer. Expand
  13. May 19, 2013
    wow I have never played a game as unique as this sure the objectives are repetive, the graphics need a bit more polish but its the way it is meant to be played properly the guns in the game all sound like their real and the movement system to some its a burden but me I got used to it straight away and the AI leaves much to be desired really if you can ignore the problems this is really awow I have never played a game as unique as this sure the objectives are repetive, the graphics need a bit more polish but its the way it is meant to be played properly the guns in the game all sound like their real and the movement system to some its a burden but me I got used to it straight away and the AI leaves much to be desired really if you can ignore the problems this is really a unique game so get it, its only £5 Expand
  14. Aug 1, 2013
    This is one of my favorite games of all time. People hated it, they said it didn't live up to the expectations, especially the ones provided from it's cinematic trailer at E3. The game is incredibly in-depth, more than people think. It may have a short campaign, but it's amazing sound files easily fill any plot holes, and then overflow to the point of an awesome story. People say the storyThis is one of my favorite games of all time. People hated it, they said it didn't live up to the expectations, especially the ones provided from it's cinematic trailer at E3. The game is incredibly in-depth, more than people think. It may have a short campaign, but it's amazing sound files easily fill any plot holes, and then overflow to the point of an awesome story. People say the story doesn't make sense, yet I have a feeling they didn't take the time to look deeper. Beyond that, the multiplayer is great. Critics were angry that the scoreboard was nothing but points, which can be gotten from kills, revives, objectives, anything. I think it's genius. They are taking Brink's most important element, it's team playing, and ranks players based on that. The Engineer who sits back and defends the briefcase, or the Medic who keeps the informant alive, they will usually get more points than the guy who tries to go out and kill everyone. And, Team Fortress 2 does the same thing, yet it gets praised for it. This game takes elements from so many games, and weaves it so beautifully. It has the fast-paced combat of Call of Duty, the class system of Battlefield, the Team-Play-requirement of Team Fortress 2 (Cause let's be honest, Battlefield has kind of lost it's team spirit) and sure, it doesn't render graphics as fast as we'd like it to, but since when does graphics make a game? Essentially, if I were to describe this game to someone, I'd tell them Team Fortress 2 in a post-apocalyptic future. Look deep down, you know it's true. The game is balanced, there's no uber-OP gun that kills everyone, Sniper Rifles take skill to use, so that trumps Call of Duty. Someone who runs and guns isn't going to do even remotely as well as a team player. This puts it equal to, and in some cases, above Battlefield. Team Fortress 2 perfectly modeled the art of team playing, with Brink just below it. Why do people dislike this game so much, when it is so beautifully crafted, by such a great team of developers? Expand
  15. Dec 23, 2011
    Takes what you expect from the genre and adds improved customization far better mobility and more dynamic objectives, I don't know what it was like at release but it's easily worth it's price tag now.

Graphics and sound are up to par has both single and multiplayer including drop in and out single player campaign.
  16. May 11, 2011
    This game is a breath of fresh air for shooters. Lets get somethings straightened out: (This is NOT a call of duty killer! It doesn't claim that what so ever. If you play this game like Call of Duty you will hate it. If you are looking for a epic single-player game this is not it. Clearly this is a Multiplayer game. If you hate Multiplayer look for another game.) Now that we got thatThis game is a breath of fresh air for shooters. Lets get somethings straightened out: (This is NOT a call of duty killer! It doesn't claim that what so ever. If you play this game like Call of Duty you will hate it. If you are looking for a epic single-player game this is not it. Clearly this is a Multiplayer game. If you hate Multiplayer look for another game.) Now that we got that straightened out we can now proceed. This is not a terrible game like many make it out to be (mainly because of the reasons above). This is a game about movement. You can essentially Parkour through out the map which just opened up the flood gates on what people can do in the environment. In a game like call of duty you where limited on elevation. With brink you can run/hop/slide/ and in some cased dive over anything. When you start up the game you are instantly given the choice on what side of this war you want to partake in. Now this isn't a permanent choice because you can make multiple characters for plenty of runthroughs. When you play the game you can choose what class you play. You can play soldier: heavy shooting, Engineer: builds gun emplacements, Medic: Heals fallen comrades, or Operative: covert class who mainly deals with sabotage. Each class can use nearly any gun so you are not stuck with a class that you hate based on guns like in other games. My only complaint is the story. I know from playing that this is a multiplayer game but the trailers showed what I thought would have a larger role. Aside from that this is a great game if your into multiplayer games. The in game menus show a option for DLC so expect more coming soon. Expand
  17. May 16, 2011
    I was a bit sceptical about this game at first, seeing how it got some pretty bad ratings in the first round of reviews. However, curiosity got the better of me and I finally purchased it on Steam. Yes, this game has some issues but it's not all bad. Yes, there are bugs. I haven't encountered any major ones in the PC version, only font corruption and that the game occasionally freezes ifI was a bit sceptical about this game at first, seeing how it got some pretty bad ratings in the first round of reviews. However, curiosity got the better of me and I finally purchased it on Steam. Yes, this game has some issues but it's not all bad. Yes, there are bugs. I haven't encountered any major ones in the PC version, only font corruption and that the game occasionally freezes if you Tab to the desktop. However, these will most likely be fixed in a future patch. Yes, the single player part is kinda dull. Yes, the AI for the bots could use some improvements. And yes, the story sucks badly. The Challenge modes are pretty dull and unimaginative. There are some minor issues with the design on some maps, especially some objectives which turn into giant gunfire mosh pits where you can hardly stick your nose out without getting the head blown off. But there are also plenty of things that Brink does right. The graphics and design is top-notch. The UI is clean, simple, objective focused and fits the gameplay perfectly. The character customization is great and there are plenty of options to make your character look unique. My only complaint is that there are no female characters. In addition there are tons of unlockable weapons, upgrades, useful abilities and stuff for all classes. And the classes themselves are fun and balanced, each fitting the game perfectly. But what I love most about this game is the run-and-gun feel of the combat. It's fast, hectic and the parcour-like SMART-system makes it so fun, climbing over obstacles, jumping over rooftops, wall jumping to the floor, slidetackling your opponent and shoot him down as he knocked down to the floor. Secondly, this game STRONGLY encourages teamwork by rewarding XP for buffing your teammates, escorting or guarding objectives and sticking close to the group. In fact, being a lonewolf is counterproductive if you want to level up. The game scorebord tracks player by XP earned, not kills which adds further empahasis on teamwork. The top player is the one who was of most use to this team, not some idiot camping in a corner trying to get easy kills. Which brings me to my final point. No sniper class! No real sniper weapons! No wookies squatting in the bushes miles away! No airstrikes! No silly vehicles! What a breath of fresh air! In the end it's all about your team, the objectives and that SMG in your hand and isn't that great start? While BRINK does have it faults at least its a great step in the right direction and other gaming companies should take note. Expand
  18. May 17, 2011
    Brink is a solid FPS with great stylized visuals. Simply put, I pre-ordered the game and have been playing it since release and can give it a fair review. Upon reading other reviews, I have been lucky playing the game with no bugs or graphical issues (running an older Nividia 9800GT).

The game has a fun mechanic that me and some friends have been messing around with. I have not played this game alone much, just been playing it with people because bots tend to get tedious and repetitive. I found that bots on harder difficulties do not behave smarter and act more aggressively, they just get stronger weapons and have instant head-shot abilities. This is a game made for multi-player and if you have friends that bump around in BC2 and you guys ran through Borderlands then this is the next game. It is very team based and if you can get a good bunch of bros with mics that can work together then there is a lot of fun to be had. The customization is really nice and the game has awesome animation and design that gives a nice polish the the game. This is no Team Fortress 2 for multiple class team-based FPS, but Brink has its own unique gameplay, challenges and flaws.
  19. Jul 13, 2011
    Last night I had one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had, thanks to Brink. It's really awesome when you play this game online with 3 or more other friends, believe me. Excellent teamwork is required to win a match, that's what makes this game a REAL multiplayer game. I just love to play Brink together with friends, and I'm not gonna stop loving that.
  20. May 15, 2011
    After a good amount of game-play i have come to the conclusion that this is a good game. I'm sure those who have marked it lower, including critics, have good reason. However i think this is a case of very high expectation and some features, that some people care a lot about but for many will be side issues, bringing the score down. The smart movement is fun, the objectives are good, theAfter a good amount of game-play i have come to the conclusion that this is a good game. I'm sure those who have marked it lower, including critics, have good reason. However i think this is a case of very high expectation and some features, that some people care a lot about but for many will be side issues, bringing the score down. The smart movement is fun, the objectives are good, the customisation is good, the maps are good and the setting, contrary to other reports about the story and art etc, has drawn me in. A lot of people have been concerned about the servers/lag etc and i am no expert on this so i defer to their judgement, however, again i'm enjoying the online experience and i have played a lot of games so it cant be a game breaker for the average gamer. I think this game does an excellent job of bringing the newbie up to speed too, as long as they put in the couple of hours asked of them. I think the challenges and the level up system is excellently thought out to get a good level playing field quickly.

Smart Movement; I think the great thing about this is not so much the fact that you have one button that sprints, climbs etc. but that it opens up the map design. Soon you realise that the stairway/ramp you thought only had one way up, with smart, has other routes. This becomes an opportunity to surprise your enemies. Even if they know you can climb up, it is still a bit surprising in the heat of battle, simply because the ramp is a ramp, you expect people to run up it not climb up behind you.
    The best thing about this game is that it sets a hectic pace but maintains a clarity of purpose. You always know what you need/want to do. The multiple objective wheel is great and lets you know the primary objective but also other options. Finally; sliding around a corner and gunning down an opponent will never get boring.
  21. May 11, 2011
    Obviously the game has bugs, it's first day of release. Anyone who doesn't understand that must be one of those people who play Farmville and consider themselves hardcore.
  22. May 16, 2011
    I like Brink. There, I said it. I'm not in love with it as much as when I bought TF2, but I'm not as sour (not by a long shot) as the "ET" players.

I love using the SMART system, and while the guns may be a bit bland here and there, the customization options for them are great. And while the bots are stupid, real players (usually) aren't. Again comparing it to TF2: the bots are there, but it's not what you come there for.

My verdict so far: After seeing about 5 patches in release week that fix most of the problems I had with the game, I can say this game is for anyone who likes objective-based FPS gameplay combined with parkouring your way through the levels.
  23. Aug 7, 2011
    I'll be honest: as it stands, I'm going to say that this game deserves a better rating than it got. I totally understand that when you buy a product, you expect that product will hold up to the standards that you were sold. And when it doesn't, no doubt there will be huge disappointment. But with games nowadays, especially with PC games, the game you get on day one will definitely changeI'll be honest: as it stands, I'm going to say that this game deserves a better rating than it got. I totally understand that when you buy a product, you expect that product will hold up to the standards that you were sold. And when it doesn't, no doubt there will be huge disappointment. But with games nowadays, especially with PC games, the game you get on day one will definitely change to try to meet those standards when the situation calls for it. And looking at all the reviews from before, I can definitely say this is one of those cases. Brink is worth revisiting, especially if you can grab it on sale. In all honesty, the gameplay is great, the class and ability system is awesome, the customization has depth, so for me this game is definitely a 9/10. I've had a blast playing with it! Now should you get this game? Do your homework first: find out what bugs there currently are, and just make an informed decision based on that as best you can. I personally don't seem to be having any problems, certainly nothing game breaking, but just be informed before you buy! Expand
  24. May 15, 2011
    Having played this game on multiple platforms the PC is clearly the best of the three the graphics really shine, the texture issues aren't there and it just flows. I had no issues with lag playing on Steam until the patch to fix lag came out. Hopefully SplashDamage will get this sorted soon.

Mobility is an interesting new layer to the game, think Mirrors Edge with being rewarded for using guns. You really are rewarded for being on the move. The objective wheel gives you an easy way to see what needs to be done and rewards you for doing more then hunting down the other guys. Also interesting is the "body type" actually has a gameplay impact. Instead of being cosmetic a skinny character has increased mobility but less health and weapon choices, medium has a balance of the two while a heavy is fairly immobile but can heft very large very powerful guns.

The AI does scale, while "Dumb" at lower levels it does smarten up as you gain experience (at least the enemy AI) though I did find friendly AI at times wanting but this will hopefully change as SplashDamage have said this was done deliberately and will be adjustable shortly. Now the campaign is fairly short, I have finished all campaign and "what if" scenarios but I have a feeling this will be a "living" game like Left 4 Dead where there's frequent updates. The ending does really set that up nicely.

Any how, don't believe the hype, reading these reviews though I've come to the opinion dedicated PC gaming reviews are more necisary now than ever given the disparity in hardware between PCs and Consoles has crept up again and it appears that more and more games just play differently between the two (this had been a problem in the past but when the 360 and PS3 came out it had improved for a bit but we're back to the tech divide and judging a multi-platform game like this on one console's play through like Joystiq or G4 do is really not fair to the game or people who may be interested in other platforms.)
  25. May 11, 2011
    If you don't want to read my full review: Yeah this is a game worth buying.
    Why? Read the review :D
    Sooo, first review. You ask me why I just registered here for reviewing this game? Just because many of the so called "reviewers" here haven't played this game for a longer time or they are talking crap. First off: I played many FPS Games: BF-series, whole CoD-series (but BlackOps is
    If you don't want to read my full review: Yeah this is a game worth buying.
    Why? Read the review :D

First off: I played many FPS Games: BF-series, whole CoD-series (but BlackOps is probably the last game I bought from this series),
    TeamFortress 1-2, Quake, UT, CS and so on and so on.
    I tested the german version of Brink. On the PC for sure! (I don't understand why many reviewers post a review of the XBox or PS3 version in the PC section..
    HELLOOO.. this is the PC section. Personal *break* Computer. Mouse+Keyboard. Get it? Thank you)

So now I introduce to you: Brink.

Gameplay:
    Intense. Fast. Teambased. And a bit freaky.
    I really like it that you can choose your own mission and go for that.
    Also you have to play as a team, all Call of Duty-fraggers have to rethink and get used to it, this game is no brainless "KILLEVERYTHING!!!11"-FPS.
    The maps are.. freaky as the whole game. Some are well structered, some are really messy.
    Not bad, just messy. But the mission marker will help to find your way.
    The weapons are too similar in my opinion, hopefully a patch will fix that.
    Most players use a SMG.
    There are 4 classes in the game:
    Medic, Engineer, Soldier and somekind of Spy.
    The medic and the engineer are very powerful and most played.
    You can make many XP points in a short time so they are a bit overpowered, this should be balanced.
    The Soldier is okay. Nothing special, just okay.
    And last and least: the spy.
    Okay, you need him in some missions but its a pain to play.
    He can get a disguise (but it will be dropped when you get hit or fire a weapon) and some other little perks, but nothing that can hold up with the other classes.
    The S.M.A.R.T. system is a nice feature but you really have to get used to it.
    For me its okay that you only have to press one button for this, 'cause a key for every single move would make it impossible to react in a hot situation.
    The only thing that me really disappointed is the wall run. Its nearly non-existent.. that makes me really sad.
    But the game isn't called Mirror's Edge, its Brink.
    PS: I won't write anything about the SP, this is a pure multiplayer game.
    Okay, just one sentence: The AI is unbelievable stupid. Not as stupid as the bots in BF1942 but.. stupid.

Graphics:
    I really like the minimalistic menu and the comic look, but this is a personal thing!
    The graphics are pretty good, not mobile phone graphics that some people here are talking about.
    (Sorry, this really made me laugh and cry about the stupidity of some... okay, this shouldn't be in a review, back to topic)
    Nothing more to graphics, they are not Crysis like, but not bad. They are... pretty good. Full stop.

Network:
    I personally hadn't the "Server doesn't respond" bug.
    But yeah, some servers are a bit laggy, hopefully will be fixed.

Conclusion:
    This game is pretty good and its something new. It takes parts from many FPS Games and mix them up to a new game.
    I like it and I will have fun with it for many hours.
    Its something new, its freaky and its a more complex game than the most "KILLEVERYTHING!!!11"-FPS (CoD *cough*).
    This means that most kiddos won't play this and this makes me reaaally happy. :)
    So, this is a game worth buying :) PS: No, I don't hate Call of Duty. I played Call of Duty for a long time. But for me Call of Duty 4 was the last REAL Call of Duty. Personal opinion, please don't cry. PPS: Yes, this game has a few bugs. I don't like it that most up to date games are full of bugs, but okay. PPPS: This review should have been longer, but I'm ill and its short after midnight ^^ Greetings, ComboCraft
  26. May 12, 2011
    It's wicked fun. It's very intuitive and everything is done well. Sure there are a few flaws of the game, but those are not gameplay, they are performance issues. As soon as AMD gets on their game and releases something other than a Hotfix, then I'm sure on AMD systems the performance will be drastically improved. It's not a game for campaign. The campaign and the multiplayer is theIt's wicked fun. It's very intuitive and everything is done well. Sure there are a few flaws of the game, but those are not gameplay, they are performance issues. As soon as AMD gets on their game and releases something other than a Hotfix, then I'm sure on AMD systems the performance will be drastically improved. It's not a game for campaign. The campaign and the multiplayer is the exact same thing. Its meant to be a MP game just like TF2 is an MP game.
    The weapons change drastically and realistically with the attachments you use as well choosing a specific weapon set is crucial for certain situations as well as the class and body type you are playing as.
    There are 4 basic classes just like every game. Medic, Solider, Operative, and Engineer. Each have their own specific abilities and objectives that are crucial to master and change up depending on the situation presented at hand.
    All four classes can be played in each of the three body types.
    The three body types are light, medium and heavy. They each can only use specific weapons out of your arsenal of over 40+ unique weapons, as well as a major difference is in speed as well as in the ability to beable to traverse areas using the SMART system. For instance, the heavy can lumber over objects, but the light can bounce from one, lightly run on the wall for about 4 feet, and leap off on the the ledge easily making evasive maneuvers from the enemy.
    As you can see it has alot going for it, but it could be slightly better.
  27. May 13, 2011
    There's a lot to say about the game, but I'll keep it short and sweet to avoid redundancy. Sure the game has some issues, but give it some time. As for the good: the classes seem very well balanced, with each class offering a unique play style, versatility, and variability. The movement is spot on, I have no issues with the SMART system. The campaign is fun, each level has numerousThere's a lot to say about the game, but I'll keep it short and sweet to avoid redundancy. Sure the game has some issues, but give it some time. As for the good: the classes seem very well balanced, with each class offering a unique play style, versatility, and variability. The movement is spot on, I have no issues with the SMART system. The campaign is fun, each level has numerous primary and secondary objectives encouraging teamwork. And lastly, the aesthetics, the game is very well done graphically, and just the overall atmosphere is exciting. Now the bad: virtually no single player. This however, is not problematic for me, as virtually all time spent for fps games is multiplayer anyways. As for the multiplayer, there are lots of bugs. But like I said, give it some time and these will be resolved. In sum, this game is fresh and creative. It offers lots of opportunities for fun and compelling teamwork. Just wait for a few patches to resolve the current multiplayer issues and this game will really shine. Expand
  28. May 11, 2011
    Let me start off by saying that Brink is a standout, excellent game. Its not for everyone though. If you want to go lone wolf, or get recognized for your kills, or play deathmatch style online games, go back to CoD. This is not your game. If you like objective style gameplay where teamwork is everything, you'll feel right at home with Brink. The SMART system makes it really easy to getLet me start off by saying that Brink is a standout, excellent game. Its not for everyone though. If you want to go lone wolf, or get recognized for your kills, or play deathmatch style online games, go back to CoD. This is not your game. If you like objective style gameplay where teamwork is everything, you'll feel right at home with Brink. The SMART system makes it really easy to get around, and more skilled players can use it for much more than getting from point A to point B. There's really no game with combat that's quite like it. While objectives are not incredibly varied there are more than enough to keep you entertained for countless games. The maps themselves are not that varied either, but their large size keeps them fresh and since objectives are held is sometimes widely varied locations on the same map it can make one match seem like several. The guns handle nicely, and once you find one that is right for you they become oh so satifying to use. The sound work for the guns is excellent as well. This game isn't without its flaws of course, the maps all have certain choke points that all of the action seems to take place in, which could be off-putting to some. The biggest thing for me is that the game's shadows take issue with certain ATI graphics cards (like mine) and shadows must be turned off to achieve an acceptable framerate on any settings if you encounter this issue. The netcode is also laggy at times, but this has only affected me in a few matches. These problems could be easily patched though, and I'm sure Splash Damage is looking into it as I'm writing this. Overall I think this game is definitely worth checking out. If you like teamwork oriented online games you will likely find Brink to be an enjoyable experience. I cannot get my head around some of the bad scores some of the "professional" reviews have given Brink. IGN claims Brink is repetitive, while praising CoD. As someone who has put over 10 hours into Brink and much more into the latest installment of CoD, this just seems ridiculous to me. Black Ops is a much more repetitive game, Brink has a lot more variety. In fact, I haven't seen this much variety in an online game in a long time. Give Brink a chance, you'll probably be surprised how much fun you can have. Expand
  29. May 10, 2011
    Yes the Parkour is that awesome. Not clunky like some reviewers have said (Try not using the Heavy body type ;). Multiplayer may not have TDM or CTF and that is a downside =/ Think of the the MP as more like LFD2. I've played about 4 hours playing Challenges, and online Campaign. I've finished 3 mission for the Resistance and could play the same mission over and over. Servers are aYes the Parkour is that awesome. Not clunky like some reviewers have said (Try not using the Heavy body type ;). Multiplayer may not have TDM or CTF and that is a downside =/ Think of the the MP as more like LFD2. I've played about 4 hours playing Challenges, and online Campaign. I've finished 3 mission for the Resistance and could play the same mission over and over. Servers are a bit laggy right now. But just remember the COD:BO launch. Nobody gave it a bad rating because it had problems at first (even tho COD is a piece of **** game). Overall I think it's a must buy for any fan of FPS games, or has friends that play FPS game. Because this game is centered around, and does this very well with the point system, around team-based playing and cooperation. Most addictive gameplay if played in a while. Expand
  30. May 16, 2011
    I enjoy the gameplay. it's unfortunate it's such a polarizing type of game and that people are people who love it or hate it and this effects it's score. But as someone who has learnt to love team/objective/class based shooters, brink is fun, challenging and unpredictable, requires skill and strategy. There is lack of polish here & there and are lots of great new ideas that could have beenI enjoy the gameplay. it's unfortunate it's such a polarizing type of game and that people are people who love it or hate it and this effects it's score. But as someone who has learnt to love team/objective/class based shooters, brink is fun, challenging and unpredictable, requires skill and strategy. There is lack of polish here & there and are lots of great new ideas that could have been executed a bit better,but the core gameplay is solid if you like team/ objective/class based shooters. Expand
  31. May 13, 2011
    When you first start out, all the classes are pretty much the same, they can do a few different things. As you level up you unlock different things you can do to make your character better, which also separates the classes even further. This game is a fast paced FPS with a great artistic style that separates it from the rest.

It does have an RPG element to it so do not jump into the game

It does have an RPG element to it so do not jump into the game and expect to be l33t. There are a lot of things you can unlock by leveling up that will make you a better killing machine.
  32. May 14, 2011
    Hi I have a few days Brink, it is actually a very good game but there are a few problems with the server search a total lag is because the game with the number of servers is not clear why I ask it very quickly to fix
  33. May 14, 2011
    Not much to say, besides this is an amazing game with no other game like it atm. Ofc its not perfect by any means, with an AI that lacks in parts and objectives which are much to simple. Slight issue with server not responding that is easily fixed by forwarding the right ports. It is a shame that we can't freerun around a massive stable map, but it's ok, ill live. I'd say on face valueNot much to say, besides this is an amazing game with no other game like it atm. Ofc its not perfect by any means, with an AI that lacks in parts and objectives which are much to simple. Slight issue with server not responding that is easily fixed by forwarding the right ports. It is a shame that we can't freerun around a massive stable map, but it's ok, ill live. I'd say on face value it's TF2 but with improved gameplay, guns, graphics, storyline and customisation. yay Expand
  34. May 15, 2011
    Brink is not perfect, it doesn't deserve a 10. However it is great and I am disgusted at it's low score
    The teamwork is great, if your team does not have a mix of all the classes you WILL fail, however medics are overpowered. The SMART system works fine, occasionally bugs out. It is extremely fun with the light bodytype, however you are fragile with it.
    The plot is meh and the level design
    The plot is meh and the level design is meh. I still love this game..
  35. May 10, 2011
    I'm liking the game after 4 straight hours of game play. I can tell that it will be a great game once a few issue get ironed out. The SMART system is nice but the animation could use a little polish. The AI is garbage. The objective wheel is a big help. Not only will it give you objectives according to priority but it will also highlight them on screen. This game has some real potentialI'm liking the game after 4 straight hours of game play. I can tell that it will be a great game once a few issue get ironed out. The SMART system is nice but the animation could use a little polish. The AI is garbage. The objective wheel is a big help. Not only will it give you objectives according to priority but it will also highlight them on screen. This game has some real potential and I hope it gets the attention it deserves. Expand
  36. May 10, 2011
    Brink tries to break that mold and does so in a number of ways while implementing some of those familiar ideas. It brings a freshness to the genre that pulls away from the lone-wolf, self-gratifying gameplay that we're gotten used to. It's a wakeup slap in the face that's needed and that takes away a lot while putting in your hands a lot more. It's not without fault, of course, but what itBrink tries to break that mold and does so in a number of ways while implementing some of those familiar ideas. It brings a freshness to the genre that pulls away from the lone-wolf, self-gratifying gameplay that we're gotten used to. It's a wakeup slap in the face that's needed and that takes away a lot while putting in your hands a lot more. It's not without fault, of course, but what it does right, it does it well.

Basically, the game boils down in the use of your 4 main classes : Soldier, Medic, Engineer and Operative. Each have an ability that will support your team and a role in the objectives that will be provided on each of your missions. Soldiers will hand out extra ammo to allies as well as plant explosive to clear doors and other obstacles. Medics will keep the team alive and revive downed friends so they don't have to wait for the respawn wave. Engineers will boost allies' weapon damage and set up turrets, remove spotted mines and overall provide general fire support. Operative will disarm mines, hack into objective and bolster your command points' defenses while also passing as an enemy, if he can disguise himself as one.

The two main features of the game are the SMART system and the customisation. The former allows for greater mobility around the level, to evade and reach higher areas with overall ease. Each body type will allow a certain degree of freedom using SMART with the Heavy type barely able to move over low walls and have slow mobility (in exchange for increased health and bigger caliber weapons) and the Light type that's basically a monkey on speed; the Medium type strikes the middle balance, giving good survival and mobility and access to most weapons.

The customisation, unlike most current shooters, extends both to your character and the weapons you have unlocked as well as abilities. For one, you have quite a few options for customisation to begin with, more unlocked as you rank up and progress through the game. Each character can have a Security and a Resistance outfit ready, depending on which faction you happen to be playing as for the match. The changes are normally apparent enough to be noticeable (perhaps other than face scars) and while there is a good choice, it feels like there could even be more offered. Perhaps some will be available later with updates and/or DLC.

Graphically, the game is eye pleasing; the character models certainly have a personality of their own while the environnements have more than mere shades of grey, green and brown. The Ark was a colorful place but even through its degradation, it still maintain a kind of life that isn't completely lost. The architechture of the levels is very nice with multiple paths leading to objectives and favorising each playstyle.

In the sound department, the voice acting is pretty good, if a bit cliché with accents but you're not likely to be annoyed. Voice cues play as needed and automatically depending on the situation (like whenever you choose a new objective, your character voices it out to his allies) which is a nice touch that gives a bit of interactivity. Weapons sound mechanical and loud, something that most games tend to overlook; the fact that multiple samples have been taken for each weapon really shows and makes it one of the most appealing sound work in a FPS since Bad Company 2.

An example would be to use the Soldier's molotov **** to knockdown enemies then finish them off with a burst of rifle. The knockdown will grant XP as will each connecting shot (a 30 XP bonus awarded even for 'grouping' shots in a burst) and the kill itself. Another would be to run around as a medic, boosting allies' health and bringing them back up. At the end of the match, what is important is the effort you've given toward your team's success... and that is why only the tallied score is displayed. Kills and deaths are transparent; victory is vital and thus, those who work best with their team will be taking the top of the scoreboard and not necessarily those with the most kills.

This might be what drive some current generation gamers away; it takes time to get used to the fact that this is a team game and not a "Me, Myself and I" type of gameplay. The game will happily hammer you into oblivion for trying to take on more than 2 or 3 enemies all at once, making its point that this isn't as twitchy a shooter like Call of Duty might be. It's different, it's refreshing and it will definitively drive some people off... but those that'll take the time to learn the game will get enough enjoyment out of it to be a worthwhile purchase.
  37. May 13, 2011
    A great team based FPS shooter.

I gave it a 9 , although atm it is a 8 , but after a few patches it will be a solid 9. Sure you might have read it has horrible AI and bugs but keep in mind this is supposed to be an multiplayer game and bugs are fixable and many have already been fixed. Some of the weapons do seem a bit too similar to each other , but it does really not bother me so much
    A great team based FPS shooter.

Sure you might have read it has horrible AI and bugs but keep in mind

Some of the weapons do seem a bit too similar to each other , but it does really not bother me so much because this is not supposed to be an super realistic MW clone where you can be killed by a bouncing knife scratching your leg...

So a solid team FPS that can only get more better by time.
  38. May 11, 2011
    Brink is Amazing, Great graphics, great gameplay, Even on the lower end of min spec you can get away with great looking graphics, Multi player is one of the best iv seen, it takes what Killzone 3 did for the PS3 and intensified 5x and we get Brink, I can't wait for part 2. Story mode was fun and immersive, you really get a feel for how these people are struggling in the world they liveBrink is Amazing, Great graphics, great gameplay, Even on the lower end of min spec you can get away with great looking graphics, Multi player is one of the best iv seen, it takes what Killzone 3 did for the PS3 and intensified 5x and we get Brink, I can't wait for part 2. Story mode was fun and immersive, you really get a feel for how these people are struggling in the world they live in. Great Idea for brink, looking forward to the DLC. IMO Brink is a must buy for anyone who loves FPS. Expand
  39. May 14, 2011
    The singleplayer is really difficult due to AI issues on player's team. However MP is totally worth it. The hole idea of a team based game, where nobody can handle the match alone is awesome. Every game developer should keep that in mind.
  40. May 14, 2011
    Super fun game. Aside from the technical issues experienced on launch day (the devs have already released 2 patches within the game's first week which resolved most issues) I have had a blast with this game. It really reminds me of the character customization of an MMO + the character persistance and rewards of Team Fortress 2 + episodic mission structure of L4D2 + the teamwork of BadSuper fun game. Aside from the technical issues experienced on launch day (the devs have already released 2 patches within the game's first week which resolved most issues) I have had a blast with this game. It really reminds me of the character customization of an MMO + the character persistance and rewards of Team Fortress 2 + episodic mission structure of L4D2 + the teamwork of Bad Company 2. Honestly that's the best way I can sum up this game. There are plenty of weapons to unlock and choose from, and the character customization really is groundbreaking for the FPS genre. Also, I find the ability system very innovative for the FPS genre as well. You can purchase abilities for your class with "talent points". IE., if you are an engineer you can learn to build a turret, set landmines, or if you are a solider you can learn to shoot your own grenades after you have thrown them to make it explode when you want them to. And there are also passive abilities like: plus to healing, plus to armor, faster reloading, etc. There are tons of abilities to learn and it really keeps your character unique - not just in terms of aesthetics. The AI makes singleplayer challenging and there have been times where I honestly forget that I'm playing against bots instead of real players. But multiplayer is where this game really shines. The class design really encourages teamwork, and it actually works! Multiple missions can be active at any given time, so your team must communicate and work together to achieve multiple objectives at once. IE., there are escort missions where you escort a wounded NPC to safety, or maybe you need to break into the lab and steal some encrypted data and then make it to the transmission station to transmit the data back to your HQ. These are not just as simple as cap the flag or team deathmatch style found in the likes of Bad Company 2 or CODBOPS

I upgraded my PC to a Core i5 2500k Sandy Bridge CPU and a GeForce GTX 560ti from a Core 2 Duo @ 3.6Ghz and a GeForce GTX 560ti and the game runs smooth as silk now. I have to say I'm extremely pleased with the performance as well as the graphics at this point. The art style is very appealing to me and is honestly quite a bit different than anything I have seen before. Also, the gun play is very fluid. I have been experiencing some strange bugs with the game's audio. For some reason the sound will mud out at times. But with as fast as the devs are patching bugs, I wouldn't be surprised if it's not fixed within a few days.

Bottom line, now that the launch week technical issues have been patched and are behind us, you should have hundreds of hours of fun in Brink. If you like cooperative team-based game play with interesting objectives, NOT the plain ole team deathmatch, and persistent character growth that is rewarding and intuitive then get this game now.
  41. May 15, 2011
    Spot on game, Great graphics, amazing play, the AI could use a little more updating though its not as bad as when it was first released, levels = new outfits, challenges = new guns and accessory's. multi-player is very enjoyable and there is a fair amount of maps, there is no death match which would be pretty fun but it gets you away from all the call of duty bull. BRINK is very team basedSpot on game, Great graphics, amazing play, the AI could use a little more updating though its not as bad as when it was first released, levels = new outfits, challenges = new guns and accessory's. multi-player is very enjoyable and there is a fair amount of maps, there is no death match which would be pretty fun but it gets you away from all the call of duty bull. BRINK is very team based requires some skill which is why people do not like it. at first i'll admit i was not at all very good. after 7 in game hours i have become very good, i love the fact that they added in Park-lour (free-running) this is a good turn, and makes the game very fun indeed. Expand
  42. May 10, 2011
    good game, needs some work few bugs but overall nice change of pace. this game is about teamwork end of story. if they add some more maps,weapons,skills and what not it be awesome game. if the Dev gives it some more love it will be a shiny star.
  43. May 11, 2011
    Brink is quite the game. It doesn't suffer many of the problems of it's console counterparts at the moment (most notably lag). It is relatively lag free, and is an absolute blast if you love to work with a team to complete objective. It's fantastic in that you can work together, but you cannot go lone wolf here, people who have a "Call of Duty mindset" beware that you cannot go it aloneBrink is quite the game. It doesn't suffer many of the problems of it's console counterparts at the moment (most notably lag). It is relatively lag free, and is an absolute blast if you love to work with a team to complete objective. It's fantastic in that you can work together, but you cannot go lone wolf here, people who have a "Call of Duty mindset" beware that you cannot go it alone and expect to win. The AI bots are admittedly pretty boring to play with, but the goal of this game was obviously multiplayer, team-based gaming, and it completely nails that. That's what I bought it for, don't listen to people or sites that have reviewed only the 360 code of the game, as the PC version is a totally different breed! Expand
  44. May 14, 2011
    Good game just needs a bit of tweeking and it will be Great. I've already seen an improvement since day 1. This is my favourite fps game out at the moment but that could be because there is just a lack of good quality pc games. This is definitely worth a go if you are waiting for BF3. There are a few bugs but hopefully they will be sorted soon.
  45. May 10, 2011
    I can start by saying if you're looking for an amazing single-player experience, this probably isn't the game for you. While it does have a very entertaining campaign, the aspect of this game that truly shines in the multiplayer. It's incredibly refreshing to play an FPS that returns to the genre's roots of actually requiring solid teamwork in order to succeed, making it difficult for theI can start by saying if you're looking for an amazing single-player experience, this probably isn't the game for you. While it does have a very entertaining campaign, the aspect of this game that truly shines in the multiplayer. It's incredibly refreshing to play an FPS that returns to the genre's roots of actually requiring solid teamwork in order to succeed, making it difficult for the lone-wolf types to accomplish anything on their own. The game looks great (always been a fan of this particular artstyle), and the individual character customization is quite a lot of fun to play around with as well. Overall, if you're into strong team-based multiplayer, I'd say BRINK is definitely a game to try. It's not without its shortcomings, but they aren't enough to stop me from likely enjoying this game well into the future. Expand
  46. May 10, 2011
    It's fun to play and it adds some strategy aspect to the FPS genre which might make it less appealing to people looking for a dumb shooter like CoD. It's kind of like Borderlands with more content, better graphics and more exciting game play. I think most people are just comparing it to CoD which prevents them from being open to new ideas. It wasn't meant to be in the same category. ThisIt's fun to play and it adds some strategy aspect to the FPS genre which might make it less appealing to people looking for a dumb shooter like CoD. It's kind of like Borderlands with more content, better graphics and more exciting game play. I think most people are just comparing it to CoD which prevents them from being open to new ideas. It wasn't meant to be in the same category. This one is definitely worth a try! Expand
  47. May 10, 2011
    First off, I'm aware of that this game has some performance issues, especially with ATI cards but these are the kinds of things that will be patched soon enough because Splash Damage is a developer that takes care of its games

While it does suffer from the above issues and some shotty AI, the gameplay here is something entirely original and what we should have had sooner. It is very fast paced and full of action thanks to the SMART system and abilities, yet it also requires a fair share of strategy and tactics to pull off a win because completing objectives is always key and the best way to handle these objectives is working as a team.

This is because in this game, not only is there power in numbers, but team members can buff each other with health, ammo, and other such things to give them the tactical edge and help them complete the said objectives. While singleplayer is just kinda "okay", the mutliplayer is a unique experience that CAN'T be missed out on.
  48. May 11, 2011
    This game definitely has a lot of potential. It is fun and a change of pace to your usual shooter. As long as splash damage can fix the sound problems and some of the bugs in a timely manner I think it'll do well. On launch night I was playing single player and the AI was pretty bad but last night it actually seemed better so I'm not sure if they hotfixed something in or what but it'sThis game definitely has a lot of potential. It is fun and a change of pace to your usual shooter. As long as splash damage can fix the sound problems and some of the bugs in a timely manner I think it'll do well. On launch night I was playing single player and the AI was pretty bad but last night it actually seemed better so I'm not sure if they hotfixed something in or what but it's fairly acceptable now. If you're on the fence about it, wait a week and see what splash damage does for fixes but overall I'm happy I bought it. Expand
  49. May 11, 2011
    I've played about Brink on the PC about 6 hours now and it's better than Borderlands, Bf:BC2, and CoD BOps. The gameplay is what I was hoping for as a RTCW/W:ET fan. The movement speed certainly isn't as fast as those games, but the parkour movement adds a different movement dynamic since there isn't any circle strafe jumping. If you like having to work as a team and being rewarded forI've played about Brink on the PC about 6 hours now and it's better than Borderlands, Bf:BC2, and CoD BOps. The gameplay is what I was hoping for as a RTCW/W:ET fan. The movement speed certainly isn't as fast as those games, but the parkour movement adds a different movement dynamic since there isn't any circle strafe jumping. If you like having to work as a team and being rewarded for your ability to track players as well as twitch shoot, this might be a good game for you. The weapons are balanced well from what I can see but many CoD/BF players haven't learned to shoot from the hip at close to medium range. So far, most of what I see on the servers and in some of these reviews (day 3) is people trying to play TDM and people not understanding which class is important for which mission. This baffles me as the class selection wheel highlights the most important class. There are even tutorial videos! People are currently also only looking for the most direct route to the objectives and not exploring parkour routes. However, the game is not without some bugs. One map appears to not have sound (bug) and using s_restart doesn't work. To be fair, Borderlands, BF:BC2 (hit detection/MASTER server crashes), and CoD BlackOps had just as many and as severe bugs on release but weren't penalized in the reviews for them. And don't listed to the idiot that said the developers are unresponsive. I see posts from them every day. They are trying to identify the bugs and squash them as quickly as possible. Expand
  50. May 10, 2011
    Yes, there is a learning curve here, and yes, there are some bugs, but it's only Day 1. These kinds of things are expected, especially from something like this. But once you learn how to use the S.M.A.R.T. system and complete a few challenges, you'll come to absolutely adore this game. Also, could we please stop complaining about the bugs? Name one game that was released without a single bug.
  51. May 10, 2011
    Let me start by saying I wanted this to be as different as possible from the other cookie cutter shooters currently out there. It does achieve that with some revolutionary "ideas". Unfortunately it is the delivery on those ideas that fall short. It's hard to place this game in a genre as it is somewhere between a run and gun COD style and a Global Agenda hit point style game. As much as ILet me start by saying I wanted this to be as different as possible from the other cookie cutter shooters currently out there. It does achieve that with some revolutionary "ideas". Unfortunately it is the delivery on those ideas that fall short. It's hard to place this game in a genre as it is somewhere between a run and gun COD style and a Global Agenda hit point style game. As much as I wanted to love it the game feels off from the start and never seems to get comfortable. Hopefully other designers will take the ideas from this game and build something that plays as good as it sounds on paper. It gets a mixed rating from me. If it played as good as it sounded on paper I would have given a positive review. The opposite is true in that If it didn't have some fresh new ideas I would have given it a negative review based on the gameplay alone. Expand
  52. May 10, 2011
    It isn't the best game but not the worst. Brink is for gamers looking for an objective type gaming society. The only way to get anywhere in multiplayer is with teamwork and communication. The customization of characters really isn't too exciting, you pick armor, and change the color really. But even with the color hanging, you only have about 5 color options for every piece and if you mixIt isn't the best game but not the worst. Brink is for gamers looking for an objective type gaming society. The only way to get anywhere in multiplayer is with teamwork and communication. The customization of characters really isn't too exciting, you pick armor, and change the color really. But even with the color hanging, you only have about 5 color options for every piece and if you mix 2 colors your guy just looks horrific. So my message to all readers is get the game if you want a fun online experience that implements cool features with teamwork. But if you want to just be that campaign guy....DO NOT BUY! There is no campaign, it is actually just arenas that you can play, I Mean when you buy the game, you can play the last level first and work your way back if you wanted to. Expand
  53. May 10, 2011
    The game play is fast and fun. Splash took the objective and class based game play that worked in "Return to castle wolfenstein: Enemy territory" and made a few changes/improvements.

It would be a 10/10 if the had implemented some sort of party system to play with friends.
  54. May 11, 2011
    Brink is a very different game. Stepping into it expecting your typical Deathmatch, CTF, etc. and a singleplayer campaign is what Brink isn't about. It ties the campaign levels into multi-player. Brink is all about having teams working together and movement. Freedom of movement in Brink is a welcomed feature (in my opinion) for the FPS genre. The game encourages players to take differentBrink is a very different game. Stepping into it expecting your typical Deathmatch, CTF, etc. and a singleplayer campaign is what Brink isn't about. It ties the campaign levels into multi-player. Brink is all about having teams working together and movement. Freedom of movement in Brink is a welcomed feature (in my opinion) for the FPS genre. The game encourages players to take different routes and think of strategic ways to flank your enemies. This game is based on team work instead of kills. You don't even know how many kills you get, just XP. This shows how much the developers wanted people to focus on teamwork. Customization in this game is AMAZING. So much stuff to unlock, and you unlock it quick! No grinding and grinding for a gun or a item. Play for a bit and you'll get what you want. Each class has a set of unique abilities and perks to go with them. Such as the engineer building faster, Medic making regen health regenerate even faster or Soldier giving more ammo. There are so much different play styles and looks that it's hard to get in this one review. The flaws of this game are the weak single-player. While the tied campaign missions into multi-player is a good idea, I was expecting a single-player with characters and all that. But don't let this one flaw kill the game like it did for many other reviewers. This is the only flaw in this game that has bothered me. The game is smooth and very unique. Guns are a blast to customize and try. Have some friends play with you and you'll love this game. Don't let it's new ideas scare you away, you will love it. Expand
  55. May 10, 2011
    I was pretty surprised how good this game was. Sure there is some performance issues, but I bet they get fixed. Not as good as Quake Wars was, but still, I'm very satisfied. But I have to warn, Brink isn't for every gamer. If you liked Enemy Territory/Quake Wars, I'm sure you will like it, but if you have played only CoDs, stay away, this isn't for you.
  56. May 15, 2011
    This game doesn't deserve these low scores, many games have bugs, many games have worse AI than brink has, it shouldn't just be reviewed by people after 1 hour of played time. Brink gives you a lot, allows you to be able to get out of spawn before dieing (Unlike one reviewer said), it gives you addictive and compelling game-play (Which many FPS games are not doing) - MOH, BFBC2 etc.
  57. May 15, 2011
    I was, in a way, dreading release of this game, which was gifted to me on steam (as a Christmas present by my little bro!).

However, I was pleasantly surprised! Brink is a very fast-paced game, more akin to TF2 than anything else. The classes and abilities are very similar - a lot of which must be earned through experience and level points a la Battlefield 2 style. Whilst the ability to customise your avatar is nice, for an old school gamer like me it's pointless gimmickry - I'd rather see more weapons and abilities!

I'm still getting to grips with the parkouring abilities (you'll need to select a "light" body type to be able to, for example, wall-run), but I feel that having the skills to use this ability will lead to some stunning kills in MP matches!

Single player can be fun - but it's blatantly tacked on to the main game and serves more as tutorial than a game in it's own right. Buying this game for the SP experience only is like buying a high-performance car and only taking it out to go get the weekly shopping!

Multiplayer still needs some improvement - games can be somewhat laggy, but not horrendously so. I'm on a 3.5Mbps ADSL connection (slow compared to my previous 50Mbps cable!), but it's still been playable, without too much grumbling.

On the whole, would I recommend this game? Yes! It's a good game - it'll be awesome once the MP lag issues are sorted!
  58. May 11, 2011
    Great team based game, no more of this one army Call of Duty inspired BS. Seems like a TF2 but for the hardcore gamer. Only problems with the game are typical launch day problems you find with every game.
  59. May 14, 2011
    Really liked this game, its not about going around by yourself and kill everything you can, you need to stay with your team and focus on the objectives, the SMART works perfectly, the customization is great, the only bad thing is that the game has some bugs, which I hope will get fixed with time.

THIS GAME IS NOT A 6.7 OR A 7.1, ITS ABOUT 9, not 10 just for the bugs.
  60. May 15, 2011
    I don't understand how this game got so many low scores. The textures are beautiful, the AI is sweet, the Campaign is, well, that's the worst part, and it's good overall, the character customization is EPIC, and the S.M.A.R.T. system is legit. The bugs are pretty much fixed now. I recommend this to EVERYONE.
  61. May 12, 2011
    In reality, Brink is an 8.5. Rounding down to 8 to be fair. Though i will say if you go into brink for a single player experience you will very disappointed. HOWEVER, If you got into brink for a multi-player experience that's different than say call of duty or battlefield... you'll get what you payed for. Brink's Multiplayer is better than any other game thats come out recently, Homefront,In reality, Brink is an 8.5. Rounding down to 8 to be fair. Though i will say if you go into brink for a single player experience you will very disappointed. HOWEVER, If you got into brink for a multi-player experience that's different than say call of duty or battlefield... you'll get what you payed for. Brink's Multiplayer is better than any other game thats come out recently, Homefront, Crysis 2, Black Ops. Nothing brink brings to the table is all that "new", they just do a good job of combining it all. Once you pick it up you see elements of Halo, Borderlands, Team Fortress, Battlefield, Call of Duty. All these bits and pieces from other games make brink unlike anything else out there. If you enjoy team play style FPS you will love this game. Coming from a team fortress background, Call of Duty was always fun, but missing that team element. Brink NAILS the team play. Even more than team fortress does, which is surprising.

So the moral of the story: If you are interested in Multi-player, get Brink, you wont be disappointed. If you want a single player game, dont get Brink.
  62. May 13, 2011
    The only thing I was really disappointed about was the exclusion of free-roaming, because the game just seemed perfect for it. The world developed for Brink was imaginative, to an extent, and had plenty of potential to be explored a la Borderlands. Overall, however, the game is a worthy title that shamelessly "borrows" a few concepts from other IPs and builds on them, melding together aThe only thing I was really disappointed about was the exclusion of free-roaming, because the game just seemed perfect for it. The world developed for Brink was imaginative, to an extent, and had plenty of potential to be explored a la Borderlands. Overall, however, the game is a worthy title that shamelessly "borrows" a few concepts from other IPs and builds on them, melding together a very decent shooter that, fortunately, isn't another CoD clone. Definitely worth at least an 8/10, and worth a try. Expand
  63. May 12, 2011
    SplashDamage has again succeeded in delivering a game that's different from the rest. It's all about teamplay. If you are a lonewolf you prolly won't fully enjoy the game but if you like teamplay Brink is THE game.

Played it for about 10 hours now (coop, mp, solo, with and without friends) and enjoyed every minute of it!
  64. May 12, 2011
    I haven't been disappointed with Brink at all. Love the game so far. I've only played about 8-9 hours and it was on co-op campaign, so I can't say much about other areas of the game or longevity. For me it most resembles a FPS version of TF2, not a bad thing! I have primary been playing a Medic and have enjoyed it a lot, but certain aspects may need a bit of a tweak, for example adrenalinI haven't been disappointed with Brink at all. Love the game so far. I've only played about 8-9 hours and it was on co-op campaign, so I can't say much about other areas of the game or longevity. For me it most resembles a FPS version of TF2, not a bad thing! I have primary been playing a Medic and have enjoyed it a lot, but certain aspects may need a bit of a tweak, for example adrenalin boost lasts a mere 5 seconds but these little things are somewhat expected at launch and will most likely get adjusted. Brink has done a great job of making teamwork important and the lone wolf style will generally not pay off. Expand
  65. May 12, 2011
    THE game we were waiting for. Quake, Enemy Territory players, wander no more. Brink is our messiah ! I was doubtful at once but am now convinced. The game is extremely good right now and has huge competitive potential. A few things caused problems at launch, but most don't matter for the current pc release. Sadly, lots of negative reviews are because the game lacks a real "single playerTHE game we were waiting for. Quake, Enemy Territory players, wander no more. Brink is our messiah ! I was doubtful at once but am now convinced. The game is extremely good right now and has huge competitive potential. A few things caused problems at launch, but most don't matter for the current pc release. Sadly, lots of negative reviews are because the game lacks a real "single player content" and an interesting "plot". BUT WHO CARES ? It's a multiplayer game, shooter feeling are great, movement is very nice, customization is very well done for both characters and weapons. Maps are awesomesauce.
    FPS players looking for a game rewarding SKILL should NOT miss this !
  66. May 13, 2011
    Brink is a genuinely fun game. It's been quite awhile since I've been hooked on a competitive multiplayer first person shooter (think Battlefield 2). It feels good to return to my PC gaming roots, Brink has a familiar feeling and I like it. I'm sick of the Call of Duties and the Battlefields of the competitive multiplayer FPS scene. I enjoy games that are clearly geared towards PC gamers,Brink is a genuinely fun game. It's been quite awhile since I've been hooked on a competitive multiplayer first person shooter (think Battlefield 2). It feels good to return to my PC gaming roots, Brink has a familiar feeling and I like it. I'm sick of the Call of Duties and the Battlefields of the competitive multiplayer FPS scene. I enjoy games that are clearly geared towards PC gamers, although this game is available on consoles, make no mistake, Splash Damage loves PC gaming and it shows in Brink. Brink is not without it's flaws, most of it's issues can be fixed via a patch and I faith in Splash Damage to deliver. Anyone rating this game a 10 is only fooling themselves, I'm infatuated with Brink but lets not get be silly here, no game is worth a 10 and definitely not Brink. Brink is a solid game worth your money if you want a competitive, team-base, class-based, MULTIPLAYER, First Person Shooter. Brink loses points for advertising as a Single Player/Co-op and Competitive Multiplayer game, in it's current state the only part worth playing is the competitive multiplayer. The bots in Brink are fairly useless. If you buy Brink for the single player, I feel for you but you should have done your research. Buy Brink for the multiplayer and you shall be rewarded with a great experience. Expand
  67. May 13, 2011
    Love this game! Brink takes a number of great ideas and throws them together into one great shooter. Brink can be played offline, but is definitely better when played in coop mode with friends or in versus. I'd have to say I completely disagree with some of these reviews on this site and some of the professional reviews. Did that IGN reviewer even look at IGN's scoring guidelines beforeLove this game! Brink takes a number of great ideas and throws them together into one great shooter. Brink can be played offline, but is definitely better when played in coop mode with friends or in versus. I'd have to say I completely disagree with some of these reviews on this site and some of the professional reviews. Did that IGN reviewer even look at IGN's scoring guidelines before reviewing the game? I am sorely disappointed in him. Anyhow, I would say that the graphics are gorgeous and objectives make for a more fun experience than straight deathmatch games can deliver. The movement system is very fluid. Now I find myself wishing that all games had it. I love being able to advance my characters whether I play in SP, Coop, or Versus games. The game definitely rewards teamwork as you will find that players who are better team players will find themselves higher on the scoreboard than a lone wolf who just kills lots of things. Weapons are customizable and feel very responsive. The game does have a few bugs atm, but nothing too serious and patches are on the way. For some reason this game seems to be polarizing. If you look at the distribution of reviews here and around the web, it seems that some people hate this game, but many more love it. You won't find many in between. I've been playing this with a few friends since it launched and we all agree- Brink is a blast. If you like cooperative games, I don't think you should pass this one up. Expand
  68. May 14, 2011
    Well i've only played this game for about 3 hours but i can say its epic to the max. And Splash Damage is showing they're support releasing 2 patches in 3 days and making a DLC free
  69. May 16, 2011
    BRINK's game play design is excellent. There is always something helpful and rewarding to do. Teamwork is facilitated by game play and interface elements. Teamwork is not difficult because it's built into the core game design in a way that is much smarter than Left 4 Dead (for example). I am disappointed with the bad reviews this game has received - there is a finesse in the design thatBRINK's game play design is excellent. There is always something helpful and rewarding to do. Teamwork is facilitated by game play and interface elements. Teamwork is not difficult because it's built into the core game design in a way that is much smarter than Left 4 Dead (for example). I am disappointed with the bad reviews this game has received - there is a finesse in the design that must have gone over peoples heads.
    There are definitely some rough edges and bugs. I would consider giving this game a 10 if it were not for those.
    Still - the core of what makes this good is there and in tact. The bugs have not stopped me from enjoying this and perceiving the quality and cleverness that is in this game.
    It is, sadly, over hyped.
  70. May 11, 2011
    You people complaining of bugs people seem to forget about Bethesda's habit of releasing games with bugs in them and then releasing a patch a few days later that fixes them. Overall its a good game, not a perfect game in any way but still a very good buy. Besides the (most likely) first week only grahpics bugs we've come to expect from Bethesda (none of which are truly game breaking, butYou people complaining of bugs people seem to forget about Bethesda's habit of releasing games with bugs in them and then releasing a patch a few days later that fixes them. Overall its a good game, not a perfect game in any way but still a very good buy. Besides the (most likely) first week only grahpics bugs we've come to expect from Bethesda (none of which are truly game breaking, but the bloom one is irratating in outdoors maps) and the texture pop the graphics are nice and stylized and the maps are well built even if slightly repetivie in looks (but not so much in design) and despite the insaley extensive custimization its very easy to tell resistance from security. The gameplay will shock the cod-kiddies because of the SMART systems ability to land a man with a shotgun on your corner-camping arse and the fact that lone wolfing finally renders those who beleive "team" is spelled with an I at the bottom of the scoreboad; you get points for teamwork and not just for kills meaning running around giving damage buffs, healing, or setting up turrets are effective ways to come in first. Medic is actually a commonly played class and no one spams the operative class like the spy is spammed in TF2 unless the situation calls for it. To call it a TF2 clone is to ignore the fact that its actually a Wolfenstien:ET remake, and i actually played some TF2 a few days before to find that Brink actually has more teamwork going on than a game with the word "team" in its title. Overall Its not groundbreaking like promised, but Its definatley more than worthy a buy for anyone who is getting bored of the same brown bloom "your fighting Russia but in a desert somehow" shooters and will more than stave you off until BF3 finally arrives and we get to experience what its like to tip a multistory building on a camper with C4. Expand
  71. est
    May 11, 2011
    Brink is an exciting and fun game. The PC platform version is currently not without hardware specific bugs but the game play is excellent. I have been fortunate enough to not fall victim to any significant errors to play. Currently there is not a lot of content but I feel as though it is very replayable. When compared to other shooters there aren't typically 50 multiplayer maps people playBrink is an exciting and fun game. The PC platform version is currently not without hardware specific bugs but the game play is excellent. I have been fortunate enough to not fall victim to any significant errors to play. Currently there is not a lot of content but I feel as though it is very replayable. When compared to other shooters there aren't typically 50 multiplayer maps people play any anyway. Brink features a lot of room for expansion of new maps and missions based on the "What-If" scenario scheme that they have already dabbled in with the shipped campaigns.

While I acknowledge there are a handful of glitches but most that I have experienced are insignificant in nature. I have confidence that they will be addressed rapidly and Brink will have the capability to grow into something great.

I would emphasize that this game is not for everyone and if you are just "looking for a shooter" you would do well to carefully evaluate what playing brink actually means before purchasing it. I think the biggest source of disappointment for Brink players is not having a firm understanding of what type of game it is. I see the game often compared to a TF2 knock-off but it is closer in feel to Bad Company 2. Take that and make it futuristic, increase freedom of movement, and the remove vehicles and you get pretty close to what Brink delivers.

That being said I do not feel that Brink is a knock-off of anything. If you're are looking for an entertaining first person shooter that focuses more on winning and teamwork than racking up kill counts you would do well to try Brink.
  72. May 12, 2011
    Game is awesome, Fck all Trolls and Haters that dont like it im glad that you wont play it then.

This game reminds me TF2 i loved that game before valve made it a stupid trade BS. I like all the elements and that its more about skill than about Weapon choice or Skills. I like this game because its so different from these CoD games and CoD clones im glad someone makes something that is not mainstream. And also that Splash Damage actually cares about game and theyre fans.
  73. May 16, 2011
    Brink is a fantastic take on the FPS genre. Following similar style to TF2, Brink offers everything CoD doesn't, teamwork, full gun and character customization, class based combat and co-op. What's to hate? Majority of the critics are stupid fools playing on Xbox who have a mind set of, CoD CoD CoD CoD, Call of Duty isn't everything! Brink has one of the greatest weapon customization menusBrink is a fantastic take on the FPS genre. Following similar style to TF2, Brink offers everything CoD doesn't, teamwork, full gun and character customization, class based combat and co-op. What's to hate? Majority of the critics are stupid fools playing on Xbox who have a mind set of, CoD CoD CoD CoD, Call of Duty isn't everything! Brink has one of the greatest weapon customization menus out of any game I know, immense character customization, dedicated servers, co-op, single player, multiplayer, Single player and multiplayer that link simultaneously online and offline, and classes the offer different game play types each game, every time Brink is a step above. I recommend to true FPS fans who enjoy teamwork, playing with mates and not the 12 year old's that think everything but Call of Duty is bad. 9/10 Game. Expand
  74. Wik
    May 20, 2011
    Great FPS. I really the world of BRINK. Weapons, characters and maps are great. Single player in no good, but it's a great multilayer game, with great group objectives.
  75. May 17, 2011
    (Disclaimer: a 9 is probably too high, but reading many of those "i looked at some vid and it's so stupid yo" zeroes are very unfair)

Brink certainly is a good game. But it is not for everyone because it does things so much differently than all recent major FPS. Brink gives you a ridiculous depth of strategies and teamplay but at the same time this depth makes it hard sometimes to enjoy public, it seems like the game (and especially the maps) are balanced for two teams that know what they are doing. Scrimming with a real gameplan is OMG intense

The easiest way to gauge how much you will like it is if you enjoyed ET and QW. If you hated those (CoD so ImBa!) then Brink definitely isn't for you. If you think SP should be a major part of a game then it will disappoint. Look at some YT videos, there are a number of really high quality reviews out there, don't write it off because one sucky review of someone that didn't now what he was doing.
  76. n20
    May 22, 2011
    Brink ventures away from the common world of modern day warfare shooters with a breath of fresh air. It borrows elements from other shooters and mixes it into a solid game thats fun to play. TF2's emphasis on teamwork, BC2's class dependency, and a dash of APB's character customization. Its not your typical CoD gameplay where players get to lone wolf with a high kill/death ratio to winBrink ventures away from the common world of modern day warfare shooters with a breath of fresh air. It borrows elements from other shooters and mixes it into a solid game thats fun to play. TF2's emphasis on teamwork, BC2's class dependency, and a dash of APB's character customization. Its not your typical CoD gameplay where players get to lone wolf with a high kill/death ratio to win missions, and its the people that suffer from that mentality that likely hate the game. Gone is KD ratio records and the best players are rated by how many points scored by accomplishing objectives and team support. The SMART movement system is fun and becomes even more when you unlock the light body type for your characters. Character customization is fun and well designed, seeing your characters between missions cinematic is a nice touch. Sadly, a bad launch prevented Brink from becoming an exceptional game. Considerable bugs, odd camera movement at times, enemies not rendering, and such, hurt Brink in the eyes of many. The recent and impending patches go a long way to make up for it however. Brink is worth your time and money, but you wouldn't be wrong to wait a little bit to buy. Expand
  77. May 20, 2011
    I'll keep this short. Brink is possibly the most underrated game this year because people haven't really discovered the depth, beauty and dismissed it as another shooter. It really isn't - unless you hate shooters that is. It mixes the fast action run and gun shooting of the Quake series seamlessly with the more tense stand-offs of the more 'arcade-realistic shooters' made popular withinI'll keep this short. Brink is possibly the most underrated game this year because people haven't really discovered the depth, beauty and dismissed it as another shooter. It really isn't - unless you hate shooters that is. It mixes the fast action run and gun shooting of the Quake series seamlessly with the more tense stand-offs of the more 'arcade-realistic shooters' made popular within recent years.

The movement will change the way you look at the FPS. Want to get to the other side of the room to get another angle at the enemy but know you'll get shot to pieces in seconds? Slide with SMART and you're there. It really does make you use the environment and use Brink's purposeful choke points to the max. With well over a decade of FPS experience I can honestly say these are some of the most fun shoot-outs I've ever had in a game.

Something most other mainstream reviews failed to mention is you can knock people on their feet in Brink. If you're good enough you can take on crowds of players and come out on top, or at least escape! The skill ceiling is remarkably high which keeps you coming back, you just want to get better, taking more people on as you go.

The map design is excellent. You can see Splash Damage tore them apart to make them just perfect. You can really see how much experience is behind the flow and layout of these maps. There's only 8 but plenty of depth there. Quality over quantity definitely pays off here.

Finally, I shouldn't feel the need to mention negative reviews, but most, I can safely say did not get this game at all or give it a chance. To put it bluntly, they were bad and that's why they didn't like it. If all you play is FPS, get this game - it's a whole new challenge most can't handle. It requires lots of skill at patience at first but you won't want to go back after Brink.
  78. May 21, 2011
    After playing it for a few hours today... In my opinion, this game is super good... I honestly can't find anything wrong with it. The only thing they could of added more in, is more customization, but it's still good. Anyone that rates it a 0, or 1 just because they didn't see something in the game that they wished.. Is really retarded, It doesn't deserve it because a whiny brat doesn'tAfter playing it for a few hours today... In my opinion, this game is super good... I honestly can't find anything wrong with it. The only thing they could of added more in, is more customization, but it's still good. Anyone that rates it a 0, or 1 just because they didn't see something in the game that they wished.. Is really retarded, It doesn't deserve it because a whiny brat doesn't see something they like. Expand
  79. Jun 23, 2011
    Brink is meant to be played multiplayer. I'm into a lot of shooters and I must say that you don't really appreciate Brink until you get back into another shooter (Battlefield, ARMA, OP Flashpoint, Unreal...) and get stuck trying to hop over a tiny rock as someone headshots you as you are pounding the jump key. It is THEN where you appreciate the innovation Brink brings to the Shooter. TheBrink is meant to be played multiplayer. I'm into a lot of shooters and I must say that you don't really appreciate Brink until you get back into another shooter (Battlefield, ARMA, OP Flashpoint, Unreal...) and get stuck trying to hop over a tiny rock as someone headshots you as you are pounding the jump key. It is THEN where you appreciate the innovation Brink brings to the Shooter. The collecting is fun, there are lots of nifty little addons for your weapons and equipment. The navigation through the maps can be a little aggravating if you are still new to the game, however the Single player mode will provide you with some time to get used to the areas. The bots are... bots... nothing new.
    I do like this game, and yes there are a few minor bugs but Bethesda is a company that does provide frequent updates and has yet to leave a game to rot. I did expect to be more options in character design, but as it stands there is just enough options to keep most people from looking like clones... barely. The graphics are awesome for a multiplayer game (playing on PC) Brink is like a gang-war and the new character-moves add a lot more to the combat, and as you play and unlock more stuff, you can use the skinny version of yourself to do a lot more zipping across the arenas. It is a game that gives you more as you play it. I give it a 10 because of the intelligent moving system, awesome graphics, and worthwhile advancements as you unlock stuff. Its a multiplayer that does what it was designed for, and adds some cool stuff you don't see in other Shooters.
  80. Jun 26, 2011
    I think this is a good, solid solid FPS. It is a bit short for the money, but I have experienced no bugs as of yet and the gameplay is quite good. And, while most people who have played things like Call of Duty can't handle the amount of teamwork this game requires, I find it to be an improvement over that style of game. I also favor the objective-based style rather than the usualI think this is a good, solid solid FPS. It is a bit short for the money, but I have experienced no bugs as of yet and the gameplay is quite good. And, while most people who have played things like Call of Duty can't handle the amount of teamwork this game requires, I find it to be an improvement over that style of game. I also favor the objective-based style rather than the usual "kill-anything-that-moves" style we see so often, as it gives a sense of actually getting somewhere. Expand
  81. Dec 8, 2011
    If you came to Brink with no previous expectations and after it has been patched with cpl DLC's under its belt its a damn good game.
    If you talk to people that fealt burned on release they are carrying resentments a bit far imo. flaming a game that has been for all practical purposes "fixed" is lame.
    I purchased it several days ago on a Steam sale and have not looked back.. its shocking to get a game like this for so little.
    The innovation alone makes it a great game.. the freedom of movement and smoothness can be compared to no game out today.
    The customization is simply fantastic and the graphics / environments beg to be climbed over , perched on and slid under etc. Its a game that got a bad start but really deserves to be played now.
    sound and voice acting are superb as well with a very interesting story line to be unlocked via mission and challenge completions. for myself i truly hope that more people revisit the game and the servers see more players. i have always been able to find a active server but there are not many and as good as this game is there certainly deserves to be.
  82. May 22, 2011
    Brink is a relativly good game. It had a few errors because of the short campaign and AI players did not really cooperate. There were also a few glitches as to where a teammate would be carring a package and he would just freeze completly.
  83. Dec 1, 2011
    You know the games you buy and just enjoy playing because it is fun and challenging and if you are at school or work, just can't wait to get home to fire it up and start playing over and over and over? This is not one of those games. I come from a background of games that require skill like Unreal Tournament 2004 etc. - this game just feels like a game for console. You jump literally 3You know the games you buy and just enjoy playing because it is fun and challenging and if you are at school or work, just can't wait to get home to fire it up and start playing over and over and over? This is not one of those games. I come from a background of games that require skill like Unreal Tournament 2004 etc. - this game just feels like a game for console. You jump literally 3 inches - did not see any purpose to jump in this game. Basically you are running and shooting...how do you avoid being shot? sliding? lol ok BAM right in your face with my shotty or whatever weapon while you are sliding. I really wanted to like this game but even with the sale for 5 bucks I just can't bring myself to pay anything for something I know I won't be playing on a semi regular basis. I'm not one of those elite A Holes that thinks they can pwn everything on the contrary my skills are mediocre at best...but as a guy I prefer to play a game with a little challenge to it. This is one person's opinion and you are welcome to love this game and play it...it's just to bland for my taste. Also as others have stated the maps are bland. Take advantage of the Steam deal and try it out before buying but please save your money before making a decision first. Expand
  84. Aug 10, 2011
    I'm giving it a 10 to boost it to 8 where it deserves. I think there is some moblike attitude about this game.

To be honest for the first 30 min of game I was like.. oh man this game sucks it's true. But I gave it more time. After a couple of hours I was hooked. It's very dynamic. The running is very natural and lifelike unlike many games... the parkour is amazing and you can glide naturally through the level.

People are bashing it just because everyone bashed it in the first place. I played on my desktop and it run amazingly fluid with no hickups no bugs no issues whatsoever and no lag. The multiplayer is dynamic and engaging. I don't like some of the objectives and how they are executed but after you get used to the gameplay it's extremely rewarding to see a team work togheter.

So really invest some time in it. Forget all the hype and see it for what it is : a TF2 type of game with a great heart at the core and a story that at first seems superficial actually has some depth to it and raises some issues.

6.3 right now it's unfair and seems there is a agenda to bash the game rather than a true objective scoring.
  85. May 10, 2011
    I'm having a blast with this game. Graphics are nice and run smooth on my 460 GTX SE card, everything max at 1440x900. Looks like Borderlands but nicer. Not one CTD either. Game play is fun if you like teamwork, objective based missions. Sometimes it can be a bit hard too (which I like). There's no team death match and really no single player story driven campaign but I personally neverI'm having a blast with this game. Graphics are nice and run smooth on my 460 GTX SE card, everything max at 1440x900. Looks like Borderlands but nicer. Not one CTD either. Game play is fun if you like teamwork, objective based missions. Sometimes it can be a bit hard too (which I like). There's no team death match and really no single player story driven campaign but I personally never usually play story mode. I'm in it for the multiplayer, which so far has been fun and mostly lag free. Normally I'd say this game is about an 8.5 but i'm giving it a 10 here to counter all the haters. Expand
  86. May 10, 2011
    Nine out of ten simply for technical problems on release. I'll never give a PC game a solid ten unless it's released and functional for more than 75% of the player base. That's just my philosophy on the matter. Ignore the scores, though, what you want to know is how it plays, right? Well, it plays like Enemy Territory. With awesome guns and parkour. The story elements are not essential toNine out of ten simply for technical problems on release. I'll never give a PC game a solid ten unless it's released and functional for more than 75% of the player base. That's just my philosophy on the matter. Ignore the scores, though, what you want to know is how it plays, right? Well, it plays like Enemy Territory. With awesome guns and parkour. The story elements are not essential to the experience, but it's nice that there is an underlying point to all of it. The multiplayer might be some of the most fun I've had since Bad Company 2. If you've played any Enemy Territory game and loved it, don't even read the rest of this review. Buy this game immediately. It's a great addition to the game style.

If you're the type of guy to religiously play the Call of Duty or Counter-Strike series, you might want to hesitate here. The game play is far more team oriented than any mode in Call of Duty or CS. The teamwork and objective-based play required can be daunting at first; it is more complex than most FPS games out there. However, if you could handle the assault game mode in Unreal Tournament 2004, or the PL_ maps of Team Fortress 2 (particularly playing Medic or Engineer,) you can handle this.

The objective navigation menu thing is great. Playing medic? Set your objective to reviving team mates, and they show up as bright yellow icons with distance meters on them. Playing engineer? High light turret repairs. Assault? High light people with low ammo. It's great, it really helps communicate the team aspect to the players.

The SMART key is pretty well implemented. While you're trying to figure out a good angle of attack, you can sprint straight up to something, jump, grab the ledge, climb on top, wall jump to the other side of a catwalk, or catch yourself before you fall off of a platform. Parkour being added to the Enemy Territory formula was one of the best ideas in gaming history (in my opinion.) It adds a great dynamic to game play, though it is slightly underused in some maps.

The guns feel solid and are decently customizable. Add silencers, extended magazines, rapid fire, better iron-sights, and more to just about any gun you've got. You can even silence your shotguns, if that's your thing. I have no complaints what so ever about the guns. They feel good to shoot. A shotgun blast really feels like you just unloaded a mountain of death into somebody's face, and I really like that. Additionally, the melee is fantastic, ensuring that you get your kill if your quick enough to use it.

So we've got great online game play, tasty guns, parkour, fun objectives (sometimes a bit silly, but it's a video game, and it's better than CTF or standing near a flag for a while,) and great customizations. So, besides some typical release day bugs, what's wrong with the game? Well, the single player. It's the multiplayer mode with some less-than-stellar AI bots. It's not a narrative driven story line. But, I don't buy games like Brink or Bad Company 2 for the single player. Some people do, and this should be a big, red warning flag to those people to stay away from this title. Do not buy it for single player. There are some challenges, though, to unlock weapons. You can play those alone or with up to four people. It's good stuff. Some of them are a bit tough when you are alone, though, so if the AI drives you nuts, get a couple of other people to help you. It's an interesting way to do weapon unlocks, and I think minus one or two situations, it works well. The ability tree is also a piece of nice work.

Overall, I firmly believe in the score of 9/10 for this game. It's a lot of fun for those looking for their Enemy Territory fix. Additionally, some of those that enjoy objective-based multiplayer will find this game to be very satisfying as well. Just be aware that the game has it's flaws (like any other game ever made,) and temporary technical issues. Brink was a satisfying purchase (for $37.46 at Direct2Drive,) and I've already poured six hours into the game on release day. Thanks for reading this far.
  87. May 10, 2011
    Great game. Smoothest launch for a PC game in a long time for both client and server side. Amazing art style and great teamwork gameplay. I will be playing this for awhile.
  88. May 10, 2011
    Fantastic game. Many of the negative reviews seem to come from people expecting a sequel to Call of Duty TF2, or for some impossible reason, Borderlands. However, SD decided to do the logical thing and create a spiritual successor to games they've already made, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, and Enemy Territory: Quake Wars.

There are some bugs in the game that can sometimes be remedied by

There are some bugs in the game that can sometimes be remedied by replacing old drivers with new ones, but other than that, the game is solid and incredibly enjoyable for those who were hoping for a Splash Damage game filled with dynamic team play.

GG SD.
  89. May 12, 2011
    Brink is an unique game that Combines First person shooters with the Free-running, I think this combination works well with the game. Also the this Game requires a good amount of Team play, So make sure you play with friends :)
    Also, this game has a solo mode, But sometimes the bots are questionable. Especially on the easier difficulties. Solid Game all and all. had lots of great moments with friends.
  90. May 12, 2011
    Brink is one of those games where you don't look for complexity to play the game. While it was highly anticipated by the gaming community, the actual release turned out to be a let down to some people. Me on the otherhand find this game to be quite awesome. There are some problems with the AI, and multiplayer can be laggy at times, but the game over all is a great buy. Many features likeBrink is one of those games where you don't look for complexity to play the game. While it was highly anticipated by the gaming community, the actual release turned out to be a let down to some people. Me on the otherhand find this game to be quite awesome. There are some problems with the AI, and multiplayer can be laggy at times, but the game over all is a great buy. Many features like weapon mods, and appearance customization lets you personally define your character with a unique look. The game's AI is known to be strange, often getting into the thick of a enemy group then finally attacking them only to be put down before any real damage could be done. The single-player aspect lacks a decent plot; with minimalistic cutscenes and dialogue. If you like a game that has parkour implemented into it as a aspect of play and tactics, you might like this game more than others. Having the ability to knock down opponents by doing a slide kick then taking them out is always a fun move; and climbing on ramps and up crates allows you to reach the top of places without taking a detour. Brink has some features in it that is seen in other games on the market, like Team Fortress. Howevwer, this game is nowhere near TF2's style of play. There are only four classes, and each class has thier own objective in the game. The medic has the ability to drop stimulants on fallen comrades to revive them. The other three classes are nice but my personal favorite is the soldier. There is a lot of perks for each class that can be unlocked, and each perk has benefits but can be countered by enemy perks. Overall this game has a lot of potential, the initial release should always be expected to have a bug here or there. These will probably be fixed on in the near future. I must also note that there is a shortage of multiplayer maps. Only 8 maps exsist in the game, and whether or not more will be made as DLC or as a free upgrade is beyond me. So my final rating is a 8/10.. Expand
  91. May 13, 2011
    As a Wolf ET and ETQW vet I can say the game is a lot of fun. As anyone remotely familiar with Splash Damage will know Brink like ET and ETQW is a team based, objective based class FPS. The main focus of Brink is teamwork with all 4 classes supporting one another to achieve the objective. Without going on to much I can say the game is very good, the guns/shooting customisation, visuals,As a Wolf ET and ETQW vet I can say the game is a lot of fun. As anyone remotely familiar with Splash Damage will know Brink like ET and ETQW is a team based, objective based class FPS. The main focus of Brink is teamwork with all 4 classes supporting one another to achieve the objective. Without going on to much I can say the game is very good, the guns/shooting customisation, visuals, the new SMART system are all top notch. The only negative was some tech issues such as no sound in 1 game and the game crashing once I first installed. Other than that it has run fine and considering most the tech issues will be resolved with patches I think it would be harsh to knock to many points off the score, therefore I give Brink a Strong 9.0/10 Expand
  92. May 10, 2011
    I never write reviews but this game is getting allot undeserved flack and I don't want someone to think those reviews are valid. Brink injects some fresh blood into the stall FPS genre. In a market were every game is trying to be the next COD or Halo, Brink doesn't cave to pressure. Anyways the game plays like Global Ops, TF2 and Unreal. The movement is good and the damage seems just aboutI never write reviews but this game is getting allot undeserved flack and I don't want someone to think those reviews are valid. Brink injects some fresh blood into the stall FPS genre. In a market were every game is trying to be the next COD or Halo, Brink doesn't cave to pressure. Anyways the game plays like Global Ops, TF2 and Unreal. The movement is good and the damage seems just about right. Graphics wise its not going to win any awards but the art style makes up for that. Expand
  93. May 10, 2011
    To sum up brink in a catchy phrase.

Half-assed console port ruins the day... AGAIN!. There is alot of potential in the game, plenty of good ideas , and some bad ones mind you. But all of it is totally undermined by a terrible port job. right out the door, steam will have difficulty decrypting the darn thing ( 1 hour down the drain) additionally pretty much every facet of the game's
    To sum up brink in a catchy phrase.

Half-assed console port ruins the day... AGAIN!.

additionally pretty much every facet of the game's multilayer component is not functioning . Plus there seems to be no dedicated server option....

this would be fine if the ai wasnt mind numbingly stupid. Every single fire fight will have your ai mates running out in the open walking willfully into the line of fire. three seconds later they are dead. other times they will , for no apparent reason, stop perusing their current objective to go runaround for a bit ( 94% hack on the objective any one? Pretty much every match is a mindless mosh-pit with only lady luck as the determining factor of who wins.

to add insult to injury it is pretty much impossible to die as everyone has a generous re-spawn timer which even the slowest of medics ( and even the dumbass AI) can cater to. litterally there will be fire fights where you run out of bullets killing the same three guys in same hall way shoot out. It is Irritating as hell. you can shoot downed dudes to prevent this, but that usually takes nearly a whole clip as well. on the plus side the game looks great, there is a massive wealth of customization options and the voice acting is solid . i also really like the fluidity of the moment controls. Bottom line, wait until after the first 2 or 3 patches ( and maybe a price decrease) to get this game.
    a non functioning multiplayer component in a game that is 90% multiplayer is just all kinds of worthless.
  94. May 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Excellent game. I loved Wolfenstein : Enemy Territory. I was afraid there will be another game with few tricks, but without teamplay. Thank god I was wrong. Splash Damage knows how to create the game that required teamplay. SMART movement is nice addition and gameplay seems to be nice. Also, Splash Damage is listening community and its problems. Expand
  95. May 17, 2011
    teamplay 10, on doit obligatoirement jouer en équipe. Gameplay 10 plusieurs objectifs et des centaines de tactiques différentes. Un vrais jeux miltijoueurs, sans jouer comme un mercenaire en solo. Si vous vouler des jeux solo, ne jouez pas a ce jeux fait pour le multi. Pour moi c'est un référence pour le multi.
  96. May 18, 2011
    Brink is a fantastic game; provided you're not someone having issues with it. The AMD issues seem to be getting better with patches and driver updates and there's still one issue at the time of writing causing issues for nVidia cards. But it does seem like most people are able to play with little problem.

The game definitely focuses upon working as a team. Take the time to figure out how to join a fire squad and play with VOIP. If your only concern is your kill/death ratio, this is not the game for you. In Brink, I'll take someone who dies a lot and gets no kills, but supports the team and the mission goals over someone who kills a lot, doesn't die, but adds no additional support to the team. The classes may need some minor tweaking, but overall are balanced. There is an excellent variety of weapons and mods you can make to the weapons which can substantially alter their attributes. I can take or leave the number of cosmetic options, they include their own set of pros and cons.

The graphics on a system that can handle it are fantastic. Game play is well-paced without being too frantic or too slow.
    Bot AI has been improved via patch to be perfectly acceptable. They do a good job of focusing on primary and occasionally secondary objectives.
    There are still some minor bugs (more rubber-banding lag than one would expect for a given latency, sound dropping out on one particular map), but with several patches already available within a week after release it suggests Splash Damage is working hard to resolve them.

Overall, I'm very happy with Brink and enjoy my time playing it.
  97. May 10, 2011
    Absolutely the most fun I've had with an FPS since BF: BC2! The SMART mechanic is incredibly fun to make use of when trying to flank, out smart, or out run the enemy. The plethora of guns, abilities, buffs, upgrades, and additives make it easy for each individual player to find their place in the ARK universe. Anyone who doesn't like this game is probably a COD fanboy who spends their daysAbsolutely the most fun I've had with an FPS since BF: BC2! The SMART mechanic is incredibly fun to make use of when trying to flank, out smart, or out run the enemy. The plethora of guns, abilities, buffs, upgrades, and additives make it easy for each individual player to find their place in the ARK universe. Anyone who doesn't like this game is probably a COD fanboy who spends their days hunting for heads and throwing knives (neither of which you do in brink).

If you're looking to actually have fun with an FPS, get this game, and be sure to get some friends on board the ARK as well. Like it or not even the worst games can be fun with friends, that said Brink is not just fun with friends, its an unforgettable experience!
  98. May 18, 2011
    COD 4 + TeamFortress 2 + Unlocking character upgrades and personalizing class = Amazing

This is a first person shooter that I'm very excited to play when I sit down. Got some friends and some time, this is a good time. Haven't experienced any game breaking bugs.
  99. May 17, 2011
    This game is a slow start in the community, but it is a real winner that is going to be around in the PC gaming community for a long time, i predict. Anyone who liked the old hardcore team games from TWL like RTCW : fast, team focused, and unforgiving if you try to lone wolf it. No vehicles. No queer killstreaks. XP comes from objectives and helping teammates much more so than justThis game is a slow start in the community, but it is a real winner that is going to be around in the PC gaming community for a long time, i predict. Anyone who liked the old hardcore team games from TWL like RTCW : fast, team focused, and unforgiving if you try to lone wolf it. No vehicles. No queer killstreaks. XP comes from objectives and helping teammates much more so than just dropping fools because you found a good campsite. Awesome game for old school PC community (REAL dedicated server code! whoohoo!) A couple of patches and a pro mod will make this game a sleeper legend. Expand
  100. May 11, 2011
    Intuitive, fun and addicting, Brink has lots going for it, especially the brilliant customisation and team based game play. Definitely worth a look, but if you want an engrossing single play story out of your game, perhaps you should look elsewhere
  101. Dec 8, 2011

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 19, 2011
    Brink is destined to be a cult classic (on PC), for us fans of Quake Wars. Has no single player value but high entry difficulty due to tight team focus and sprawling maps. Good, but not nearly as damn good as Quake Wars. I like Brink but it is no wonder that most gamers don't. [June 2011]
  2. Jul 26, 2011
    Who would have thought that this highly ambitious concept would turn out to be such a bland game?
  3. PC Games (Russia)
    Jun 24, 2011
    Brink's unique visual style and great customization options save the day. Although its core gameplay needs some polishing, it's a solid multiplayer-only experience nevertheless. [July 2011, p.81]