Brink PC

6.0

1. Oct 17, 2013
    Decent multiplayer battle arena with a plot. I wish that the single player had been better thought out as it just feels tacked on but the whole thing is a worthwhile experiment that I hope others follow and refine.
  2. Mar 3, 2012
    Brink has an immersive story and a great atmosphere, thanks to a well thought-out plot and an excellent soundtrack. Unfortunately the game is simply poorly built in order for it to be any fun.
  3. May 12, 2012
    Brink is an objective based multiplayer shooter that took me some getting used to. Most of my early hours, I was pretty much just killing bad guys while being completely lost on what the objectives were. Now that I have a few more hours under my belt and have gotten used to the gameplay, I must confess it's pretty fun. It's highly action packed, but the objectives are just not obvious toBrink is an objective based multiplayer shooter that took me some getting used to. Most of my early hours, I was pretty much just killing bad guys while being completely lost on what the objectives were. Now that I have a few more hours under my belt and have gotten used to the gameplay, I must confess it's pretty fun. It's highly action packed, but the objectives are just not obvious to new players.

The game puts significant emphasis on customization in both character looks and loadouts--for example being able to select two primary weapons is nice. The graphics are solid, the gameplay is smooth, and the character leveling is implemented well. It also throws in a decent storyline which is uncommon in these type of multiplayer games. But don't buy Brink because of its single player or coop claims. It disappoints unless you consider playing multiplayer with bots fun.
  4. Jan 6, 2012
    I really think this game is bad. I get no satisfaction for kills, and the gameplay feels bland because of it. It's like COD and TF2 had a mutated and ugly baby. :)
  5. Sep 17, 2014
    Despite having some launch issues and patches, this game is straight up underrated. If you are looking for an similar game like Enemy Territory then Brink does not deliver it. But it is actually quite an enjoyable team objective based shooter when you give it an change and compare the standards of shooters nowadays. It has decent artistic style, some can argue the characters look ugly,Despite having some launch issues and patches, this game is straight up underrated. If you are looking for an similar game like Enemy Territory then Brink does not deliver it. But it is actually quite an enjoyable team objective based shooter when you give it an change and compare the standards of shooters nowadays. It has decent artistic style, some can argue the characters look ugly, thus you can hide them in masks to begin with. Weapon choice is quite good. Upgrades work. Balanced so you cant spawn trap. Sadly not many people gave this game a change that i think it honestly deserves. It has its flaws yet for an fast paced team objective based shooter i think it succeeds. Expand
  6. CBZ
    May 15, 2011
    Brink is a great game full of potential, with excellent graphics and gameplay. The quick switch between objectives and the special abilities make this game really fun to play. The game has captured many good aspects from other games such as Team Fortress 2 (abilities and characters) assassins creed (parkour) and Call of duty among others (weapon customization) to create one great concept.Brink is a great game full of potential, with excellent graphics and gameplay. The quick switch between objectives and the special abilities make this game really fun to play. The game has captured many good aspects from other games such as Team Fortress 2 (abilities and characters) assassins creed (parkour) and Call of duty among others (weapon customization) to create one great concept.
    I think the low scores are due to the high expectations of the players, however, it is true that the game needs some patching especially for the AI and the sound going away in MP. I recommend to wait a little until these issues have been solved for those who are hesitating on buying the game.
  7. Oct 24, 2011
    I liked this game, but I never really got around to playing it. I think the problem Brink has, is that, there are too many other awesome games out that this title is just going to get overlooked. Seeing as it is a multiplayer only title (singleplayer against bots is never going to work), a game like this needs a pretty big fanbase.

Im going to give it a 7/10 because I like the idea behind

Im going to give it a 7/10 because I like the idea behind brink, I like the aesthetics, and I enjoyed the gameplay, it's just missing something and I can't pinpoint what it is.
  8. May 14, 2011
    Game is fine. Im using ATI and with a bit of tweaking and rolling back drivers I achieve a solid 60fps on a 4 year old pc with a q6600 and a 5770. As for people giving this game "0" because of reasons not to do with the game need to stop posting - after all this for reviews, not opinions about the fact you live in Australia or wherever and can't buy the game at the prices elsewhere inGame is fine. Im using ATI and with a bit of tweaking and rolling back drivers I achieve a solid 60fps on a 4 year old pc with a q6600 and a 5770. As for people giving this game "0" because of reasons not to do with the game need to stop posting - after all this for reviews, not opinions about the fact you live in Australia or wherever and can't buy the game at the prices elsewhere in the world.

The game just needs a few bugs ironing out and to be fair to SD, they've managed to get a game out at release that is very much playable and fun.
  9. Aug 19, 2011
    BRINK seemed fun as I was playing it, but I realized how unoriginal and sloppy it was later on. A LOT of the elements of the game was taken from the EXCELLENT Dystopia mod for Half-Life 2. The shooting felt like Call of Duty except without camping. The multiple objectives was like Section 8 except some of them are needed to win and some aren't important at all. The worst part is that thereBRINK seemed fun as I was playing it, but I realized how unoriginal and sloppy it was later on. A LOT of the elements of the game was taken from the EXCELLENT Dystopia mod for Half-Life 2. The shooting felt like Call of Duty except without camping. The multiple objectives was like Section 8 except some of them are needed to win and some aren't important at all. The worst part is that there are very limited maps, and very few encourage the neat Parkour system they have. It would be worth it if it were $10-15, but at $50, it is not worth it at all. Expand
  10. Oct 7, 2011
    Frustrating and difficult, but almost nothing is funner than Brink with amazing combat and brilliant customization. The key to Brink: creativity. There are SO many possibilities for outfits, weapons + attachments, abilities, classes, the customization is just off the hook. So if you just assume you'll like this or that, DON'T, try everything and it will be slow at first, but the greatestFrustrating and difficult, but almost nothing is funner than Brink with amazing combat and brilliant customization. The key to Brink: creativity. There are SO many possibilities for outfits, weapons + attachments, abilities, classes, the customization is just off the hook. So if you just assume you'll like this or that, DON'T, try everything and it will be slow at first, but the greatest thing later. The battlefield combat is just fantastic, you'll provide your teammates with ammo, health, armor, and more. And just in general the shooting is good. The only thing I'll have to say negatively, is the story, it's really light. Yeah, a man-made island is the last place on the planet, resources are low so people fight each other, that's it. One more thing: physics are terrible, and online is super laggy. Expand
  11. FGM
    Dec 29, 2016
    Unoriginal Team Fortress, with poor graphics, bad ragdolls, poor weapons, and what the hell is wrong with their faces, still this game seemed polished when I played it, and I didn't suffer any bugs or performance issues. It's just not unique or outstanding in any aspect, that's why 5/10
  12. Jun 15, 2011
    Brink isn't a bad game, but it has flaws that hamper the experience for me. Terrible performance, even after the patch (with my pretty good mid range gaming PC), way too repetitive level designs (even for me, who can take linear areas easily and not get bored), overlly generous experience rewards, and a kind of disappointment that settles in slowly over time after you defend the game toothBrink isn't a bad game, but it has flaws that hamper the experience for me. Terrible performance, even after the patch (with my pretty good mid range gaming PC), way too repetitive level designs (even for me, who can take linear areas easily and not get bored), overlly generous experience rewards, and a kind of disappointment that settles in slowly over time after you defend the game tooth and nail after buying it.

This isn't like Duke Nukem Forever, which is a game I will defend tooth and nail because I am shocked at how NOT GOD AWFUL that game is. But for Brink, it just slowly lost it's fun factor over time, and I no longer am willing to play it, sadly. I understand what the designers went for, and it works for the most part; but even the over the top shooting or weapons can't fix the terrible performance issues that make the experience feel slow and drawn out. Maybe after I get that ATI 11.6 driver update that's supposed to improve the performance, then maybe I will give this game a try. But for now, it's a curious game that I will play occassionally and only cautiously reccomend.
  13. Jan 3, 2012
    It's fun. While it's not game-changer, Brink offers a bit of question to the whole video game premise of following orders and doing your job, as portrayed through the two-sided missions. The conflict is truly polarizing and a real moral predicament. Gun selection isn't quite a Missouri veteran's closet, but gets the job done. The parkour mechanic was intended to add a dimension to theIt's fun. While it's not game-changer, Brink offers a bit of question to the whole video game premise of following orders and doing your job, as portrayed through the two-sided missions. The conflict is truly polarizing and a real moral predicament. Gun selection isn't quite a Missouri veteran's closet, but gets the job done. The parkour mechanic was intended to add a dimension to the combat (as opposed to other games' parkour-only or segregated game play), but ends up being an upgraded sprint function that amounts to slightly amusing camera angles while you hold shift on your way to the battle. The lack of class distinction is a real pain, but the customization fun makes up for that. Voice acting is great, and the back-story really does a civil conflict justice. Expand
  14. May 12, 2011
    Brink isn't what people pretend it is. Brink has solid gameplay, but that's it. There's no real difference in playing one class or the other. All classes use the same weapons. Your objectives are different based on your class, but that's it.

The HUD is always so crowded with everyone's health and information, so being able to focus on the little blur that is the enemy on screen becomes a bit challenging when 99% of your screen is shouting, "HEY LOOK AT ME!"

The gameplay works, the SMART works, the customization is downright BEAUTIFUL! But the fun I had while playing it was severely limited due to little differentiation in classes, repetitive objectives, a bland story, and annoying habits the game would do.
  15. Jul 31, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Got this at about $10 in a Steam bundle sale, and I got what I payed for. The A.I. is horrendous, levels are very poorly designed, and the general gameplay is average at best. I did have quite a lot of fun during the "Go capture this and bring it back." sequences, but at the "Go hack/repair this" sequences it just got either extremely easy or extremely difficult. One sequence in particular requires you to go hack a missile launch thing, but as you arrive you usually find that the enemy A.I. has set up a couple turrets, and that in order to hack you have to leave yourself defenseless in a practically coverless area. Simply wiping out everyone before hacking won't help either, as they respawn fairly close to you and hacking itself takes about 2 minutes. All in all, if you find this game at a cheap price at some sale, it is a worthwhile buy, but at a price any higher than $10, you're just wasting your money. Expand
  16. Jan 8, 2013
    The concept itself is good, but the controls just feel bulky, the singleplayer is a joke, and the skill system is both confusing and conflicting. It seems like the developers said "Lets make a great game" during a conference call, and then never said a word detailing the mechanics. It needs patching and an actual story before I can give this an actual rating.
  17. May 29, 2011
    The game has flaws but if you can get past them you'll enjoy yourself. However, you'll find yourself time and time again being irritated by those flaws and sometimes pushing yourself to keep with it. Customization is nice but not as in depth as they made it out to be. Body types add some depth to gameplay, but a in many ways unbalanced. The maps are poorly designed with many of them beingThe game has flaws but if you can get past them you'll enjoy yourself. However, you'll find yourself time and time again being irritated by those flaws and sometimes pushing yourself to keep with it. Customization is nice but not as in depth as they made it out to be. Body types add some depth to gameplay, but a in many ways unbalanced. The maps are poorly designed with many of them being a campfest on the objective, and the attacking team having to push through it. The gunplay is severely imbalanced, not only by the skewed gun stats which favor some weapons, but also by the ability buffs of various classes which makes the weapon damage inconsistent and infuriating at times - ignoring this however, the guns still seem completely random in the amount of damage they do at times. The whole objective system isn't as influential as SD made out, with side objectives having little impact on the main objective or map play. The SMART system is very fluent though, and works very well. It creates some very fluent and fast gameplay and basically makes BRINK what it is, and worth your time. It's a shame that it's often wasted on corridor areas. Overall the game is worth your time, and you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it - but it might only tie you over until the game you're waiting for is released. Expand
  18. Jul 6, 2011
    What can I say, I love this game. Is it like any other game on the market? Bits from here and pieces from there. What is great about Brink is that it pulls in aspects from so many other games and puts it into an amazing package. Coming from a RTCW and ET background, no other game has come close to filling in the void that my first real game has created. Finally
  19. Mar 20, 2012
    Brink is a game that tries to be a little different from your standard fps like COD. It encourages team play and rewards you xp for everything you do. The free running system is also nice, but could have been expanded. The biggest problems of the game is the lack of game modes, and the fact that there's no separate campaign. The game could have been a lot better with more game modes and aBrink is a game that tries to be a little different from your standard fps like COD. It encourages team play and rewards you xp for everything you do. The free running system is also nice, but could have been expanded. The biggest problems of the game is the lack of game modes, and the fact that there's no separate campaign. The game could have been a lot better with more game modes and a bigger variation of maps. Expand
  20. Jul 16, 2012
    This game had a lot of potential but falls short of what it could be. But even with that I still recommend it over a FPS like MW3. The storyline feels like it leaves you hanging in such a way that the full game feels like demo for something bigger. Yes you can play both sides in the storyline but there is ONLY one story to the game and the story on both sides is the same. So if you playThis game had a lot of potential but falls short of what it could be. But even with that I still recommend it over a FPS like MW3. The storyline feels like it leaves you hanging in such a way that the full game feels like demo for something bigger. Yes you can play both sides in the storyline but there is ONLY one story to the game and the story on both sides is the same. So if you play both sides your doing everything again, nothing to write home about. The game says "Tons of weapon customization options" but do not believe this, you really have a few options and parts are just recycled. The Co-Op is well....just something to do with your friend(s) when your waiting on a better game to come out. That is about it. Like so much of this game it is another aspect of it that is in short....Meh. In short if you got money to burn and time to waste then buy this game but if you do not then do not buy this game because you will feel a sense of lacking from playing it. Expand
  21. Jun 15, 2011
    It's what should be delicious mix between Team Fortress 2, Mirrors Edge and Modern Warfare, but comes out with more flaws than abject genius, and is not as good as any of the above.
  22. Dec 28, 2013
    Brink is an Avarage game, it has good gunplay, smooth gameplay, responsive controlls and good effects.
    It's really fun to play with friends and so on.

I liked the idea of Brink, Sadly they've made some mistakes.
    For example game has no story, cause the campaign is basicly multiplayer.

The graphics are also pretty decent..
  23. May 15, 2011
    Brink is an disappointment. It's not a bad game at all but it didn't live up to the hype and has too many annoying flaws. The story has a good concept but they don't do anything with it. There is barely any story telling, and only bits of story you get are the short cutscenes at the beginning of the missions. Graphics are good and stylish, kind of reminds me borderlands. The characterBrink is an disappointment. It's not a bad game at all but it didn't live up to the hype and has too many annoying flaws. The story has a good concept but they don't do anything with it. There is barely any story telling, and only bits of story you get are the short cutscenes at the beginning of the missions. Graphics are good and stylish, kind of reminds me borderlands. The character customization is pretty damn awesome, sadly there aren't that many customization options. Friendly AI is one of the worst I have ever seen, solo campaign of brink is one of the worst gaming experiences ive ever had. Despite that the multiplayer of brink, when it works is a blast. It's hard to be harsh on a game what tries something different. Brink is worth a purchase if you have friends who play it / are planning on purchasing it. Otherwise you should wait a bit until the price drops and DLC comes out. Expand
  24. May 13, 2011
    +Cool / different art style. Looks pretty good.
    +I haven't had any technical problems. Controls well / runs well.
    +Character / weapon customization is fun.
    -Single player experience is really boring. Think Tf2 w/ bots and holding E on objectives.
    -Multi player experience is dodgy. Server browser isn't so good and its laggy even in
  25. May 16, 2011
    I like Brink. A lot. Ok its never going to make it into my top games of all time, but its a good game and I'm enjoying it a lot. I pre-ordered early and am pleased with the pre-order bonus's and hope to see a few more friends online once they sort out the UK online distribution issues.

That said, I'm recommending my friends wait for some form of price cut on the title before they pick it up, or for some of the additional DLC that has been promised by Bioware to be released before they pick it up.

At present, if you can get the game to run (see some of the other posts here for an idea of the issues affecting users of some hardware) its a good shooter. Its not brilliant, but its ok.

As others have noted, it feels slightly off pace, not quite slick enough and you feel like you're just slightly moving through treacle the whole time. Rubber banding will happen on public servers and lag really does have a significant impact on performance where other titles seem to compensate a lot more effectively for it.

Some of the weapons feel more like re-skins of each other than independant weapons in their own right. The class system, similarly, doesn't provide any significant difference between classes at the moment and an often noted complaint is that more players play as engineers and medics than operatives or god forbid actual soldiers because the ability to self buff or self heal is far more beneficial to a player than the slight combat perks and broken armour skill that come with being a soldier, or the ability to disguise yourself as an operative.

Additionally what appeared to be a pretty large palette of skins, clothes, faces and so on in the promo vids isnt nearly so large as all that and at present the game is painfully "samey" in almost all respects. The people you are fighting alongside or against almost all look the same, with the odd exception almost everyone is using the same combination of primary and secondary weapons with similar attachments and backup skills.

The decision to include all the data about your character in an easily edited file on your local hard disk also means that those people who are so inclined, will start every map at max level and with all the skills available... something which most games have been able to prevent natively for ages through auto-detection and rebalancing. Beyond that, there's only 10 levels. Oh and 4 challenge maps. Thats it. There is the promise of more, but at the moment, its the same maps for both of the games campaign modes and whilst they appear very pretty and interesting, you'll quickly find that for most maps, about 80% of the area is just padding that you need to run through after a respawn in order to reach one of 1 or 2 choke points for any given map.

Did I mention that features like online stats have been left out because they haven't built them yet? I've played games that were rushed to publishing before, but never one that basically advertised the fact.. its not a big thing, but its a concern...

Have given this 6 out of 10 because whilst its a good fun game, it needs a lot of TLC to really make it worth the money at the moment, best advice, wait for a sale. If its worth buying there will still be enough of a player base to make it a viable multiplayer game when its come down in price a bit. If not you saved yourself a bit on what may have proved to be nothing more than a short, sometimes frustrating, distraction.
  26. Dec 29, 2011
    Brink is a good game. With fun movements using blur style for the action. Its great in graphics, weapons customization and player customization. However it lacks on making each class available not as unique as one would expect.
  27. Jul 31, 2011
    Like many people I know, my expectations were high for this game. Then I bought the game. What worth there might be in the game is burried through repetitive gameplay. It's like Team Fortress 2, only without the fun and humor. Now that TF2 is free, I recommend downloading it before you even consider this game.
  28. Dec 29, 2011
    I'm glad i waited for the Steam holiday sales before buying this game. Brink promised to "blend" the multiplayer and singleplayer games into a seamless experience, which sounded really interesting when they said it like that. But actually all they did was create a COD-like multiplayer shooter with bots and call it a singleplayer story mode! So innovative!!! My apologies if your sarcasmI'm glad i waited for the Steam holiday sales before buying this game. Brink promised to "blend" the multiplayer and singleplayer games into a seamless experience, which sounded really interesting when they said it like that. But actually all they did was create a COD-like multiplayer shooter with bots and call it a singleplayer story mode! So innovative!!! My apologies if your sarcasm detector is now broken. The dodgy AI and a forgetful story make you wonder why they even bothered with the singleplayer game. Not to mention the unlocks... millions of unlocks. I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't unlocks for the unlocks. However, if you view Brink purely as a multiplayer game, then it is actually fairly solid. But it's nothing amazing, and more than a few shooters from 2011 are much better. At the end of the day there's just nothing to keep me playing this game. It has no WOW! factor at all. I do hope, though, that Splash Damage will continue to develop their engine and games, because it's obvious that they've got some insanely talented people in their ranks with amazing potential. They just need to learn what makes a AAA shooter fun to play these days, and they could do such great things. Expand
  29. Jun 17, 2011
    The story ending makes it seem like there is to be a Brink 2. I hope there is. But if they do it I hope it's a lot more varied with more depth of game play (not just in terms of story perspectives).

More specifically, I like what this game tries to do by combining types of game play (single player story + multi-player + shooter + leveling + parkour + team fortress) and the taking sides in a story with plenty of gray-area. However, in the end I was bored. The different character weights and classes didn't feel different enough; the depth just wasn't there so the differences felt hollow. I played through the campaigns from both perspectives, the extra missions, the training levels (all to 3 stars), and lots online. I felt like it took forever to level up to level 20. And with all the stuff in the game it never felt varied enough to keep me truly interested.
  30. May 16, 2011
    Entertaining. But doesnt have true staying power. You complete the campaigns and challenges in about 1 day. After that it's all about online play which can extremely unbalanced. Bugs and server problems don't really help the score either. If you feel like spending 50 bucks for a couple of day's fun, then brink is for you.

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 19, 2011
    Brink is destined to be a cult classic (on PC), for us fans of Quake Wars. Has no single player value but high entry difficulty due to tight team focus and sprawling maps. Good, but not nearly as damn good as Quake Wars. I like Brink but it is no wonder that most gamers don't. [June 2011]
  2. Jul 26, 2011
    Who would have thought that this highly ambitious concept would turn out to be such a bland game?
  3. PC Games (Russia)
    Jun 24, 2011
    Brink's unique visual style and great customization options save the day. Although its core gameplay needs some polishing, it's a solid multiplayer-only experience nevertheless. [July 2011, p.81]