6.1

1. May 18, 2011
    COD 4 + TeamFortress 2 + Unlocking character upgrades and personalizing class = Amazing

This is a first person shooter that I'm very excited to play when I sit down. Got some friends and some time, this is a good time. Haven't experienced any game breaking bugs.
  2. Jun 19, 2011
    Brink is a game I wanted to love so much. Pre-ordered it on Steam. How I wish I haven't. IF YOU HAVE AN ATI CARD, FORGET ABOUT THIS GAME.. Or at least, I, among many ATI owners, are currently suffering with this game. I advise you not to pick it up, at least not for now.. I envy you Deific since you seems to be among the rare gamers running it smooth.. FYI, I own a 5870.. Even with driver hotfix 11.5a,b,11.6 and latest game patch, the game still suffers considerably when it comes to frame rates, having sharp decreases and increases for no reason.. Engine feels unfinished. (mind you my system played Crysis 2 & Buletstorm at 1080p high fidelity without any significant problem) The graphics are weak, very weak. Art style is amazing only. Gameplay? shooting is dull (no recoil?), guns feel all the same, objectives are "classic", boring and repetitive and your character runs awkwardly. SMART system is forgettable and not really cleverly implemented.. Gunplay, again, doesn't feel as tight as it should feel. Offline gameplay is dull. This is interesting for online coop only. I didn't really have the experience to invest plenty of hours in the game (~5 hours) since it's barely playable but what a disappointment in the couple of hours I have played. I dont want to mention the nightmare when it comes to online gaming: lag, sound issue, matchmaking etc. So much hype, so much noise, so much style.. Shame, the game couldn't follow.. Expand
  3. May 11, 2011
    well, this game is not as good as i expected.
    the first problem i encountered was the game engine itself: the idtech 4 is so outdated that this game has mobile phone quality graphics, and super low framerates. if you can get past this, you'll be pissed off by the fact that this game is only in english and that there are no subtitles. that may not be a problem if you speak english very
    well, but if you're like me and it takes you a long time to concentrate on what the characters are saying in order to understand the story of the game, subtitles, or localization are a needed.
    apart from this **** the game is decent, but not too original, it's just a regular shooter with classes and abilities.
    **** this **** what a waste of money
  4. May 10, 2011
    I can start by saying if you're looking for an amazing single-player experience, this probably isn't the game for you. While it does have a very entertaining campaign, the aspect of this game that truly shines in the multiplayer. It's incredibly refreshing to play an FPS that returns to the genre's roots of actually requiring solid teamwork in order to succeed, making it difficult for the lone-wolf types to accomplish anything on their own. The game looks great (always been a fan of this particular artstyle), and the individual character customization is quite a lot of fun to play around with as well. Overall, if you're into strong team-based multiplayer, I'd say BRINK is definitely a game to try. It's not without its shortcomings, but they aren't enough to stop me from likely enjoying this game well into the future. Expand
  5. May 29, 2011
    The game has flaws but if you can get past them you'll enjoy yourself. However, you'll find yourself time and time again being irritated by those flaws and sometimes pushing yourself to keep with it. Customization is nice but not as in depth as they made it out to be. Body types add some depth to gameplay, but a in many ways unbalanced. The maps are poorly designed with many of them being a campfest on the objective, and the attacking team having to push through it. The gunplay is severely imbalanced, not only by the skewed gun stats which favor some weapons, but also by the ability buffs of various classes which makes the weapon damage inconsistent and infuriating at times - ignoring this however, the guns still seem completely random in the amount of damage they do at times. The whole objective system isn't as influential as SD made out, with side objectives having little impact on the main objective or map play. The SMART system is very fluent though, and works very well. It creates some very fluent and fast gameplay and basically makes BRINK what it is, and worth your time. It's a shame that it's often wasted on corridor areas. Overall the game is worth your time, and you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it - but it might only tie you over until the game you're waiting for is released. Expand
  6. May 30, 2011
    Brink is an exercise in how not to release a game. PC Gamers have waited through a year of delays only to be greeted with weapon and class imbalance, poor tutorials, shoddy AI, and unclear objectives. Game-breaking technical issues kept the game unplayable on literally half the systems trying to run it for the first few weeks. Those who were unfortunate enough to put down money to buy this game at launch have been frantically trying to defend it and justify the gameplay since they're stuck with it, but this is a game that would have been returned to stores in mass quantities if most major retailers were still offering refunds on open merchandise.

On the upside, the game has a slick design and very distinctive art style, which will please most people from afar for quite some time as it sits in the bargain bin this holiday season after the community abandons it to play better shooters.
  7. May 14, 2011
    After playing Brink non-stop I'm starting to feel disappointed mostly on the terrible map design. The AI is like something of a joke and the overall feeling you get when playing a really good game isnâ
  8. May 18, 2011
    Well, this is it. The Game I have been waiting 2 years for. I have probably anticipated too much, I have to say. I anticipated too much. Yet this game still gets a high review? What is this? Well, it delivers. All they ever told us is that it would be colourful, new, fun and a whole lot of parkour. And they gave us exactly that, a whole new artistic, playing style. The broad range of ATI cards not suported is a whole load of crap, your probably not running it right or just haven't gottten proper drivers or something else. I have a budget Gigabyte overclocked ATI Radeon HD 6850 and it runs fine in most parts. Some broad, open-ended corridors drop the FPS drastically but other than that there is no complaint. People jumping into it thinking "Ooooh, TF 2 mixed with CoD" will be seriously dissapointed. It is new, nothing old, doesnt use any old ideas. You guys just expected too much, as did I, but I knew what we thought wasn't going to happen. It delivers perfectly and I think that it deserves a 93/100. It is also greatly balanced by the way. Expand
  9. May 10, 2011
    Brink tries to break that mold and does so in a number of ways while implementing some of those familiar ideas. It brings a freshness to the genre that pulls away from the lone-wolf, self-gratifying gameplay that we're gotten used to. It's a wakeup slap in the face that's needed and that takes away a lot while putting in your hands a lot more. It's not without fault, of course, but what it does right, it does it well.

Basically, the game boils down in the use of your 4 main classes : Soldier, Medic, Engineer and Operative. Each have an ability that will support your team and a role in the objectives that will be provided on each of your missions. Soldiers will hand out extra ammo to allies as well as plant explosive to clear doors and other obstacles. Medics will keep the team alive and revive downed friends so they don't have to wait for the respawn wave. Engineers will boost allies' weapon damage and set up turrets, remove spotted mines and overall provide general fire support. Operative will disarm mines, hack into objective and bolster your command points' defenses while also passing as an enemy, if he can disguise himself as one.

The two main features of the game are the SMART system and the customisation. The former allows for greater mobility around the level, to evade and reach higher areas with overall ease. Each body type will allow a certain degree of freedom using SMART with the Heavy type barely able to move over low walls and have slow mobility (in exchange for increased health and bigger caliber weapons) and the Light type that's basically a monkey on speed; the Medium type strikes the middle balance, giving good survival and mobility and access to most weapons.

The customisation, unlike most current shooters, extends both to your character and the weapons you have unlocked as well as abilities. For one, you have quite a few options for customisation to begin with, more unlocked as you rank up and progress through the game. Each character can have a Security and a Resistance outfit ready, depending on which faction you happen to be playing as for the match. The changes are normally apparent enough to be noticeable (perhaps other than face scars) and while there is a good choice, it feels like there could even be more offered. Perhaps some will be available later with updates and/or DLC.

Graphically, the game is eye pleasing; the character models certainly have a personality of their own while the environnements have more than mere shades of grey, green and brown. The Ark was a colorful place but even through its degradation, it still maintain a kind of life that isn't completely lost. The architechture of the levels is very nice with multiple paths leading to objectives and favorising each playstyle.

In the sound department, the voice acting is pretty good, if a bit cliché with accents but you're not likely to be annoyed. Voice cues play as needed and automatically depending on the situation (like whenever you choose a new objective, your character voices it out to his allies) which is a nice touch that gives a bit of interactivity. Weapons sound mechanical and loud, something that most games tend to overlook; the fact that multiple samples have been taken for each weapon really shows and makes it one of the most appealing sound work in a FPS since Bad Company 2.

An example would be to use the Soldier's molotov **** to knockdown enemies then finish them off with a burst of rifle. The knockdown will grant XP as will each connecting shot (a 30 XP bonus awarded even for 'grouping' shots in a burst) and the kill itself. Another would be to run around as a medic, boosting allies' health and bringing them back up. At the end of the match, what is important is the effort you've given toward your team's success... and that is why only the tallied score is displayed. Kills and deaths are transparent; victory is vital and thus, those who work best with their team will be taking the top of the scoreboard and not necessarily those with the most kills.

This might be what drive some current generation gamers away; it takes time to get used to the fact that this is a team game and not a "Me, Myself and I" type of gameplay. The game will happily hammer you into oblivion for trying to take on more than 2 or 3 enemies all at once, making its point that this isn't as twitchy a shooter like Call of Duty might be. It's different, it's refreshing and it will definitively drive some people off... but those that'll take the time to learn the game will get enough enjoyment out of it to be a worthwhile purchase.
  10. May 11, 2011
    Not impressed at all. Terrible performance issues with ATI card users make the game almost unplayable. Also, several common resolutions aren't even supported. The graphics are pretty good but more importantly, the gameplay is nothing special and gets old quick. The character customization is fun in the menu but in-game, its useless as it's an first-person shooter and you rarely see your own character. I would not recommend this game in the slightest. Thorough disappointment. Expand
  11. May 26, 2012
    This is an absolutely fantastic multiplayer shooter. Very well thought through maps and game mechanics. Its not a simple shooter though, dedication is recommended ;) The classes all got access to the same weapons, only the body type does restrict the choices. This allows you to play each class with your prefered combat style and one might ask himself why it hasnt always been that way in shooters. The "SMART" movement system is something i dont want to ever miss again in any shooter. Overcoming obstacles, sliding and taking shortcuts becomes second nature realy quick with the improved run and jump keys. The maps are large (switching objectives) with nice layout. Takes a while to know them inside out. The weapons can be customized to fit your playstyle. With care though, as the upgrades can also have negative effects which are quite a bit more severe then it appears on the weapons stats. This is simply put one of the best thought through multiplayer shooters to have ever been created. Just like SD's last title though, it's not suitable for everyone. Any shooter fanatic that is good in all types of fps games should be very happy with this title. It does need a patch or two, but only minor issues, like sound breaking down every once in a while (fixed on mapchange or reconnect). Hardware requirements are pretty high though, i would recommend at least a core2quad@3.6 Ghz or a i5@3 Ghz and a grafics card of at least gtx570 performance. This should result in 50 to 100 fps. SLI works well too.------------UPDATE: Same as their other titles, this game did not appeal to the masses. The lack of "toy kills" (possibility to nade spam and other things to get free kills) is not everyones taste. And the choice of using the clunky idtech4 instead of the superbly idtech3 wasnt a wise choice either. The community is about dead, but if you pick up this game on a steam sale you will still find populated euro servers. Expand
  12. May 10, 2011
    To sum up brink in a catchy phrase. Half-assed console port ruins the day... AGAIN!. There is alot of potential in the game, plenty of good ideas , and some bad ones mind you. But all of it is totally undermined by a terrible port job. right out the door, steam will have difficulty decrypting the darn thing ( 1 hour down the drain) additionally pretty much every facet of the game's multilayer component is not functioning . Plus there seems to be no dedicated server option....

this would be fine if the ai wasnt mind numbingly stupid. Every single fire fight will have your ai mates running out in the open walking willfully into the line of fire. three seconds later they are dead. other times they will , for no apparent reason, stop perusing their current objective to go runaround for a bit ( 94% hack on the objective any one? Pretty much every match is a mindless mosh-pit with only lady luck as the determining factor of who wins.

to add insult to injury it is pretty much impossible to die as everyone has a generous re-spawn timer which even the slowest of medics ( and even the dumbass AI) can cater to. litterally there will be fire fights where you run out of bullets killing the same three guys in same hall way shoot out. It is Irritating as hell. you can shoot downed dudes to prevent this, but that usually takes nearly a whole clip as well. on the plus side the game looks great, there is a massive wealth of customization options and the voice acting is solid . i also really like the fluidity of the moment controls. Bottom line, wait until after the first 2 or 3 patches ( and maybe a price decrease) to get this game.
    a non functioning multiplayer component in a game that is 90% multiplayer is just all kinds of worthless.
  13. Jun 7, 2011
    the opening video is the only interesting part of the game, everything else is just boring, boring, boring sole less arena styled crap. Cell shaded graphics that run horribly on the PC?? What are they thinking with these shallow consollised crap games. I'm not buying it thats for damn sure.
  14. Aug 30, 2011
    Best movement out of any game ever played! The limitations of the environment are gone. Vaulting, jumping, scaling walls and then popping your opponents in the face. sliding on the ground while gunning down an objective carrier. Amazing gun sounds and fantastic maps. The customization gives you a unique look and lets you know who is friend and who is foe. The only downside I could give this game is the lack of content available. 8 playable maps at start that can grow stale after a few rounds on the same one for hours. However that should not be why you shouldn't add this to your library. A good match is not a rare occurrence. Whether AI or PvP, each match never plays out the same. Expand
  15. May 13, 2011
    First of all this is the machine I am playing this game on: Phenom II 965 BE, 8GB 1600 DDR3 RAM, HD5770x2 Crossfire, it is a brand spanking new PC that has 42 other games currently installed all running extremely well. None of my components is damaged, all were previously tested before assembly. Ok, so this game performs badly, and the graphics are heavy, laggy and sluggish. First order of business, updated the driver, so framerate issue was fixed, yet it was still laggy! it was running at 70-90 fps and the game still looks like its running at 10-15fps!. Second of all it doesn't keep my graphics settings. For example I would click for high quality post processing or anti aliasing or even soft particles, I would exit the graphics menu, then go into the game...problem?game still looks the same. I go back into the video settings only to find out that the video settings are not sticking. I try to change them several times, even tried rebooting the game, graphical settings still do not stick! Look, I understand that this is an OpenGl game, but for gods sake why would you use it knowing that there are incompatibilities with hardware that uses directx for everything!! Most hardware out there is directx at its core, why use OpenGL?, I have absolutely no idea, but it was a bad decision. Ok so on to the game...the only plot in this game is you are trapped in an island city with no way out, that's about it. Single player is horrible, it's supposed to be like a cooperative as in Left4Dead, but greatly fails because you can't control your team and it doesn't help you. You die every second with 1 or two shots, while you have to empty 5-10 full clips of ammo into them to kill them! When you are down you just sit there and nobody revives you, medics are off doing their thing, at that point I exit the mission and just restart it because there's no point in just sitting there doing nothing and unable to move. For the SMART button all you do is hit space bar, there you go, spacebar to jump over almost everything. The problem is, it really doesn't help you do anything other than jump over everything, enemies still kill you with one shot anyway. Also the music in this game is horrible, someone with a piano sat down and put the soundtrack together in about 30 minutes, horrible. Plot is shady at best, there are no character intros, there is no background, there are no protagonists or antagonists, nothing to help you identify the game at all or where the plot or the story is going. This game deserves all these negative reviews and more, this game utterly fails at everything. There is no good thing I can say about it at this point, hopefully I do find something good, but from the looks of it, I am probably not. Save your money, and if you don't believe me, there is no demo, but there is The Pirate Bay. Expand
  16. May 13, 2011
    +Cool / different art style. Looks pretty good.
    +I haven't had any technical problems. Controls well / runs well.
    +Character / weapon customization is fun.
    -Single player experience is really boring. Think Tf2 w/ bots and holding E on objectives.
    -Multi player experience is dodgy. Server browser isn't so good and its laggy even in
  17. Aug 7, 2011
    I'll be honest: as it stands, I'm going to say that this game deserves a better rating than it got. I totally understand that when you buy a product, you expect that product will hold up to the standards that you were sold. And when it doesn't, no doubt there will be huge disappointment. But with games nowadays, especially with PC games, the game you get on day one will definitely change to try to meet those standards when the situation calls for it. And looking at all the reviews from before, I can definitely say this is one of those cases. Brink is worth revisiting, especially if you can grab it on sale. In all honesty, the gameplay is great, the class and ability system is awesome, the customization has depth, so for me this game is definitely a 9/10. I've had a blast playing with it! Now should you get this game? Do your homework first: find out what bugs there currently are, and just make an informed decision based on that as best you can. I personally don't seem to be having any problems, certainly nothing game breaking, but just be informed before you buy! Expand
  18. May 14, 2011
    Game is fine. Im using ATI and with a bit of tweaking and rolling back drivers I achieve a solid 60fps on a 4 year old pc with a q6600 and a 5770. As for people giving this game "0" because of reasons not to do with the game need to stop posting - after all this for reviews, not opinions about the fact you live in Australia or wherever and can't buy the game at the prices elsewhere in the world.

The game just needs a few bugs ironing out and to be fair to SD, they've managed to get a game out at release that is very much playable and fun.
  19. May 16, 2011
    I like Brink. There, I said it. I'm not in love with it as much as when I bought TF2, but I'm not as sour (not by a long shot) as the "ET" players.

I love using the SMART system, and while the guns may be a bit bland here and there, the customization options for them are great. And while the bots are stupid, real players (usually) aren't. Again comparing it to TF2: the bots are there, but
    it's not what you come there for.

My verdict so far: After seeing about 5 patches in release week that fix most of the problems I had with the game, I can say this game is for anyone who likes objective-based FPS gameplay combined with parkouring your way through the levels.
  20. May 11, 2011
    Pro's: - The gameplay itself is GREAT. - The customizations and leveling system works fine. - The "training wheel" keeps noobs on the objectives. - The S.M.A.R.T. freerunning system is rather fun and a great part of brink. Con's: - The game looks decent, but compared to other quake based games... this one runs like crap. (Seriously, the main menu lags on 1920x1080, meanwhile I can run crysis2 just fine.)
    - Most servers you get on lag more than your grandmother. - Various bugs that will no doubt be patched soon. I hope...
    - Theres actually only 8 levels. Thats right. EIGHT. Some reviews might tell you there are 16, but you play the same levels twice, once for Ark Security, and once for The Resistance. I would say this is the greatest draw back to Brink. If this game had closer to 20 levels this game would be getting an 8 or a 9. But its got 8... for now. (Lets hope they release the SDK soon, and maybe some free DLC's.)

Summary: It's got a TON of potential, but it is only half done. Which is sad because the release game looks exactly the same as the demo everyone saw at QuakeCon 09. I guess splash damage took a two year vacation. Maybe now that they are getting paid they can finish the game.
  21. Aug 5, 2011
    Brink is the type of game that makes you so mad you smash your keyboard and never play it again. The shooting mechanics are rubbish, the hit detection is even worse, and the AI is SO STUPID it's infuriating. Oh, and the level design is horrible and the overall graphics are a mess. And the jumping parkour stuff doesn't work half the time. I tried Brink over the Steam free weekend, but trust me, free is still too much to pay. I love FPS games but Brink is TOTAL RUBBISH. Haven't played a game this bad in ages...never again, never again. I give it a 2 because it at least doesn't crash... Expand
  22. Aug 5, 2011
    its just not a good game, the textures are really crappy, the gameplay is horribly imbalanced in favour of defence, loads of pointless guns, pointless weight classes. I really find it hard to believe that this is made by the same people as ET:W and ET:QW two absolutely awesome games and this is just garbage, if they made the objectives at least feel worthwhile it may have been better but as it is it is just very very bland. Expand
  23. Jun 15, 2011
    It's what should be delicious mix between Team Fortress 2, Mirrors Edge and Modern Warfare, but comes out with more flaws than abject genius, and is not as good as any of the above.
  24. May 16, 2011
    BRINK's game play design is excellent. There is always something helpful and rewarding to do. Teamwork is facilitated by game play and interface elements. Teamwork is not difficult because it's built into the core game design in a way that is much smarter than Left 4 Dead (for example). I am disappointed with the bad reviews this game has received - there is a finesse in the design that must have gone over peoples heads.
    There are definitely some rough edges and bugs. I would consider giving this game a 10 if it were not for those.
    Still - the core of what makes this good is there and in tact. The bugs have not stopped me from enjoying this and perceiving the quality and cleverness that is in this game.
    It is, sadly, over hyped.
  25. Jun 15, 2011
    Brink isn't a bad game, but it has flaws that hamper the experience for me. Terrible performance, even after the patch (with my pretty good mid range gaming PC), way too repetitive level designs (even for me, who can take linear areas easily and not get bored), overlly generous experience rewards, and a kind of disappointment that settles in slowly over time after you defend the game tooth and nail after buying it.

This isn't like Duke Nukem Forever, which is a game I will defend tooth and nail because I am shocked at how NOT GOD AWFUL that game is. But for Brink, it just slowly lost it's fun factor over time, and I no longer am willing to play it, sadly. I understand what the designers went for, and it works for the most part; but even the over the top shooting or weapons can't fix the terrible performance issues that make the experience feel slow and drawn out. Maybe after I get that ATI 11.6 driver update that's supposed to improve the performance, then maybe I will give this game a try. But for now, it's a curious game that I will play occassionally and only cautiously reccomend.
  26. CBZ
    May 15, 2011
    Brink is a great game full of potential, with excellent graphics and gameplay. The quick switch between objectives and the special abilities make this game really fun to play. The game has captured many good aspects from other games such as Team Fortress 2 (abilities and characters) assassins creed (parkour) and Call of duty among others (weapon customization) to create one great concept.
    I think the low scores are due to the high expectations of the players, however, it is true that the game needs some patching especially for the AI and the sound going away in MP. I recommend to wait a little until these issues have been solved for those who are hesitating on buying the game.
  27. Dec 4, 2011
    A fairly decent game. The SMART system works, but i feel a lot of the maps are too constrictive, the one in the ghetto was fun, but i want to be able to dash across buildings, slide into an alley, and leap through a window in smooth actions, not following the more or less preordained paths they have decided you can use. the character/weapon customization is fun, and ads something to the gameplay, and the weapons are decently diverse, though a few more options, like dual wielding pistols, or the ability to pick up someone else's weapon when you have no ammunition for either of your guns left, although factors like that do make teamplay important. not a bad game if you can get it cheap, but I'm glad I didn't pay the $60 dollars for it at launch Expand
  28. May 16, 2011
    I enjoy the gameplay. it's unfortunate it's such a polarizing type of game and that people are people who love it or hate it and this effects it's score. But as someone who has learnt to love team/objective/class based shooters, brink is fun, challenging and unpredictable, requires skill and strategy. There is lack of polish here & there and are lots of great new ideas that could have been executed a bit better,but the core gameplay is solid if you like team/ objective/class based shooters. Expand
  29. May 10, 2011
    Spoiler:--"Brink=>Multiplayer":--Spoiler. Think that those who are disappointed with Single Player mode of the game didn't watch a single one of the 1,214,634,372 Brink videos before the game's published. Also i know that they believe Black Ops is a better game than the Bad Company 2 because that the BC2 has a rubbish Single Player mode. What a pathetic group of people.
  30. May 12, 2012
    Brink is an objective based multiplayer shooter that took me some getting used to. Most of my early hours, I was pretty much just killing bad guys while being completely lost on what the objectives were. Now that I have a few more hours under my belt and have gotten used to the gameplay, I must confess it's pretty fun. It's highly action packed, but the objectives are just not obvious to new players.

The game puts significant emphasis on customization in both character looks and loadouts--for example being able to select two primary weapons is nice. The graphics are solid, the gameplay is smooth, and the character leveling is implemented well. It also throws in a decent storyline which is uncommon in these type of multiplayer games. But don't buy Brink because of its single player or coop claims. It disappoints unless you consider playing multiplayer with bots fun.
  31. Aug 6, 2011
    Overall The Game Is unique with character customization, Weapon classes, and perks. Challenges are fun to kill time and the campaign is pretty fun. Its a lot difference from any other FPS game. Multi-player is where it gets iffy..... It`s basically single player but instead of bots there are real players and there are still bots thrown in unless you find the option to get rid of them(old school mode). You also have to deal with the bad servers. Even with a decent connection you will get lag. Expand
  32. May 18, 2011
    I've written more formal and detailed personal reviews on other sites and have only been attacked for them, so I'll keep things short and simple here.
    I'm seeing a whole lot of hate for this game, but I'm not feeling the hate. It has its flaws, most notably the single-player mode and the AI. Those should just be ignored -- the game is meant to be played online. And it's a blast when
    played online.
    The best advice I have to give is to somehow try before you buy. You may love it, you may not. Only you will know that. But I gave it a chance and I'm really glad I did.
  33. Aug 6, 2011
    The inbred cross-breed of Modern Warfare 2 and M.A.G, utilizing the "best" aspects of both, and failing at them terribly. A useless reward system and XP given for simply doing what you are supposed to. Firefights which basically involve you standing five feet away from your opponent, aiming at their upper body, spraying, reloading, and spraying their corpse. Annoying, jagged, boring gameplay at best. It feels like you are grinding -- in a first person shooter. Supposedly the entire world revolves around an area called "The Ark", a megacity the size of Manhattan, contained within three square miles or so. Usual communist backstory about how there is an uprising. You get to choose your faction with an extremely vague: "Save The Ark, Escape The Ark". That's pretty much all the depth you are going to get in terms of backstory, and that is extrapolated from a series of very uninspired cutscenes, barring the inital introduction with clay figurines. Do not spend your money or encourage Bethesda to continue producing absolute garbage like this. The entire game is basically an extremely expensive "Look, we can do it too!" by Bethesda. I seriously can't believe they bought ID Software. You know, the guys that gave birth to the genre, and perhaps the entire PC gaming industry. Doom, Quake, ring a bell? Yeah. They're owned by Bethesda now. Expand
  34. Jul 25, 2011
    I was very excited for this game and was dissapointed when it released.however they were on to something with the ideas they had the whole game felt broken.the multiplayer was constanly leggy,the bots were not fully functioning and the whole free running thing did not work.however at some points the multiplayer would be fun and the character custamization was cool.every gun almost felt the same to me witch i did not like.i would not reccomend playing this game but if they could fix all these problems the game could be very fun but that may take a whole new game to do that. Expand
  35. May 22, 2011
    From Steam: Brink's advanced player customization offers a near-endless combination of looks for your character (unless you are a woman) â
  36. May 15, 2011
    This game doesn't deserve these low scores, many games have bugs, many games have worse AI than brink has, it shouldn't just be reviewed by people after 1 hour of played time. Brink gives you a lot, allows you to be able to get out of spawn before dieing (Unlike one reviewer said), it gives you addictive and compelling game-play (Which many FPS games are not doing) - MOH, BFBC2 etc.
  37. May 17, 2011
    Only lasted 3 hours with this. New levels of repetition for me. Its a console game and I suspect designed for a younger gamer than me to be fair. I like games with a bit of depth. Really bothered me that the environment is more or less completely indestructible too.

I liked Bethesda a lot until I bought this. This game has made me nervous that they have lost their edge and I fear for
    Skyrim when its released later in the year as that is probably my most anticipated game ever. Fingers crossed they dont make another shallow one weekend unit shifter out of that one too. Expand
  38. May 10, 2011
    Summing it up: A disappointment. Pros: Movement is very fluid. The players look pretty dynamic, fluid, and natural. Appears to be a wide variety of guns, along with gun attachments reminiscent of the COD Modern Warfare series. Meh: Environment isn't all it's played out to be. Climbing over things is fun, but you don't really get to monkey around obstacles as shown in many of the sneak peek videos that were released. The class options are sure interesting, but as long as you're a medic you're good to go in terms of points and XP grinding. Cons: Hmmm... Lots of these. The gameplay is barely acceptable. The damage is little or next to nothing. Headshots certainly do exist, but it seems mostly to be spray and pray, and this is coming from someone who has played CS for over ten years, and CSS since it was released, in addition to the COD series. It's not just me I swear. The multiplayer campaign idea, while different, is lacking. For some reason, the action just doesn't feel exciting. There's no comparison to a CS massive kill streak, or a good MW2 flank when you've gone around the enemy team and kicked some serious butt. You simply don't have enough bullets and don't do enough damage to make anything like that happen. While the game totes the 'freedom' of movement, players are too restricted by the campaign. If there's one thing this game is in DIRE need of, it's Team Deathmatch. Come ON! How can you make a multiplayer online FPS and not have a TD mode? The leveling up and the new perks, videos, and abilities don't really alter gameplay that greatly, unlike the abilities did in the COD series. It feels exactly like what it is: a grind! I am bored after a few hours, and probably won't pick up this game again. Expand
  39. May 17, 2011
    This game is not at all fun. There is nothing to do, all the mission are quite same and other then killing a bunch of soldiers there nothing else. i enjoyed the character creation more than the mission. i think the only good and different thing in this game is the character creation, other than that this game is useless and quite boring. i just started playing this game and after a couple of minutes i bored. I think they could have really made is game much better. Expand
  40. May 11, 2011
    This game is a breath of fresh air for shooters. Lets get somethings straightened out: (This is NOT a call of duty killer! It doesn't claim that what so ever. If you play this game like Call of Duty you will hate it. If you are looking for a epic single-player game this is not it. Clearly this is a Multiplayer game. If you hate Multiplayer look for another game.) Now that we got that straightened out we can now proceed. This is not a terrible game like many make it out to be (mainly because of the reasons above). This is a game about movement. You can essentially Parkour through out the map which just opened up the flood gates on what people can do in the environment. In a game like call of duty you where limited on elevation. With brink you can run/hop/slide/ and in some cased dive over anything. When you start up the game you are instantly given the choice on what side of this war you want to partake in. Now this isn't a permanent choice because you can make multiple characters for plenty of runthroughs. When you play the game you can choose what class you play. You can play soldier: heavy shooting, Engineer: builds gun emplacements, Medic: Heals fallen comrades, or Operative: covert class who mainly deals with sabotage. Each class can use nearly any gun so you are not stuck with a class that you hate based on guns like in other games. My only complaint is the story. I know from playing that this is a multiplayer game but the trailers showed what I thought would have a larger role. Aside from that this is a great game if your into multiplayer games. The in game menus show a option for DLC so expect more coming soon. Expand
  41. Dec 8, 2011
    If you came to Brink with no previous expectations and after it has been patched with cpl DLC's under its belt its a damn good game.
    If you talk to people that fealt burned on release they are carrying resentments a bit far imo. flaming a game that has been for all practical purposes "fixed" is lame.
    I purchased it several days ago on a Steam sale and have not looked back.. its shocking
    to get a game like this for so little.
    The innovation alone makes it a great game.. the freedom of movement and smoothness can be compared to no game out today.
    The customization is simply fantastic and the graphics / environments beg to be climbed over , perched on and slid under etc. Its a game that got a bad start but really deserves to be played now.
    sound and voice acting are superb as well with a very interesting story line to be unlocked via mission and challenge completions. for myself i truly hope that more people revisit the game and the servers see more players. i have always been able to find a active server but there are not many and as good as this game is there certainly deserves to be.
  42. May 10, 2011
    Horrid. Far to simple and key-presses are nowhere near what they should be. Too simple, had potential but fell flat. If the game had improved key presses and general gameplay, this game would be great. Though, the gameplay is horrid,
  43. May 12, 2011
    Brink is an unique game that Combines First person shooters with the Free-running, I think this combination works well with the game. Also the this Game requires a good amount of Team play, So make sure you play with friends :)
    Also, this game has a solo mode, But sometimes the bots are questionable. Especially on the easier difficulties. Solid Game all and all. had lots of great moments
    with friends. Expand
  44. May 10, 2011
    I'll start of with the pros; the movement controls are nice and fluid, allowing you to vault obstacles and sprint at the same time with just one button, reminiscent of the 'free run' found in Assassin's Creed. The art style really benefits the feel of Brink with the over exaggerated realism that is brought out with beautiful graphics. The choice of weapons and their customization allows the player to experiment and adapt to his or her play style while also having different body types boasting abilities such as free running or more HP provides a unique customization feature where no one character will ever be the same.

Now onto the cons; there is no story driven single player, but a mission to mission type of play that all too closely resembles the multiplayer (if not EXACTLY like the multiplayer) and has little to no intrinsic value except that you can play by yourself. The movement using sprint or 'free run' can cause some problems every now and then where you'll vault a rail you didn't want to vault or get yourself stuck in a hairy situation that leads to your untimely demise. Finally the objectives and game mode feel repetitive over time and the number of maps don't help lessen the repetitiveness where after about 3-4 hours of playing you've already seen all the maps, and with no map editor there is no hope for the community to be able to build their own maps and make Brink even greater than it is now.

Overall Brink is a great game to play with friends for a short while, taking in all it has to offer, but it won't be something you'll be looking forward to get back to the next day.
  45. May 15, 2011
    I don't understand how this game got so many low scores. The textures are beautiful, the AI is sweet, the Campaign is, well, that's the worst part, and it's good overall, the character customization is EPIC, and the S.M.A.R.T. system is legit. The bugs are pretty much fixed now. I recommend this to EVERYONE.
  46. May 10, 2011
    Day 1 and they already got game destroying bugs, wow. Apparently they didn't even bother to test their servers/steams servers/whoever runs the servers for the game (based on the games forum), pretty much everyone is having a "Server Not Responding." issue when trying to join a game with a friend (coop), from what I've seen/heard, the support for this issue is "Deal with it". The "120,432,530,020" ways to customize your character was obviously a lie (who thought that was true?), it's really just about ten suits you can customize the color of and about 30-40 guns in total that can have parts swapped around on (aka, different sights, magazines, grips, etc) I've played through the first six missions in about... 3 hours, completed all the "challenges" that unlock extra scopes, magazines, all that stuff, and I'm fairly sure that its campaign is made up for 8 maps that get played from both factions perspective based on what side you choose. Slightly confusing at first if you come from FPS games that you can kill someone in one or two bullets - you need about half a clip in this one, maybe it's just because almost every gun is a submachine gun *cough* --- If you've ever played Enemy Territory: Quake Wars (another splashdamage game), you honestly don't need to buy this, ET:QW is far cheaper. BRINK is NOT WORTH 49.99, maybe 20, 30 if you're desperate for something new, not really anything new though... "SMART" system is interesting and annoying at the same time, it's so angle dependent on whether it activates or not that it may get you killed in a split-second-choice situation. It's actual "campaign" really is a copy of ET:QW, it gives you a 20-30 second intro movie for each map, then drops you into the game and tells you to go change to X class, go assault/defend/destroy/hack/whatever Y, rinse & repeat for the entire "campaign". The games AI is generally poor in terms of Support, Combat Effectiveness is lacking, None of them actually complete objectives (none of the AI on your team, that is). After so many horrible FPS releases the past few years, I wanted BRINK to be able to restore some faith in such games. I question if FPS games are even worth having hopes for anymore. Expand
  47. May 10, 2011
    This game's terrible. I will never pre-order another splash damage game. I should have known better after they ruined the q3f mod for quake 3 back when. cons ===== - Terrible textures - Clunky movement - Gun sounds suck - Level design is bland - Horrible UI menu looks like its from 1995 - gain points for doing jack squat - thought the objectives would be more interactive, but they're not... boring - frequent server connection problems - frame rate issues between single player and multi player for no apparent reason. SP tells me I'm running at 60 fps yet it feels like 20. - SP is non-existant - horrible AI and the list goes on.... DONT BUY THIS GAME. Save your money. Collapse Expand
  48. May 10, 2011
    Yawn. Nothing but a poor TF2 clone here with no originality. Cel shaded graphics are just a cover up for the poor bland textures and lack of art designer. There is no variabiton from character to character at all...using a shotgun feels just like using an assualt rifile. Objective based matches just turn into a clustered mess due to poor map design and just overall bad game design mechanics. The game oozes genericness in every way. Not even a rent. Expand
  49. May 10, 2011
    I think this game is an ant farming simulator? Wrong game, you say? Well then why the freck are there so many bugs? The level of generic and uninspiredness rivals that of Black OPs. There is one gun total in the game. Well, there are multiple skins for the gun, but make no mistake, they all feel like the exact same gun. The "artistic" graphics are just a cover for "we didn't want to be bothered to make actual textures or a lighting engine". A "smart" button? Can it get me more dumbed and casualized than that? Why even have us hit buttons at all? Just make the whole game autopilot and we can sit back and watch. Bethesda obviously weren't watching Bioware's mistakes with Dragon Age 2, else they would have known that dumbed down "1 button=cool stuff whoa omg!" gameplay does not make for great games. Make no mistake, this game is a piece of hipster trash designed to cash in on the TF2 popularity. It is generic. It is ugly. It is repetitive. It is unfun. Expand
  50. May 12, 2011
    Brink isn't what people pretend it is. Brink has solid gameplay, but that's it. There's no real difference in playing one class or the other. All classes use the same weapons. Your objectives are different based on your class, but that's it.

The HUD is always so crowded with everyone's health and information, so being able to focus on the little blur that is the enemy on screen becomes a
    bit challenging when 99% of your screen is shouting, "HEY LOOK AT ME!"

The gameplay works, the SMART works, the customization is downright BEAUTIFUL! But the fun I had while playing it was severely limited due to little differentiation in classes, repetitive objectives, a bland story, and annoying habits the game would do.
  51. Dec 6, 2013
    A buggy Mess with a NetCode from Hell, On paper this Game sound awesome. Reality is the complete opposite. Everyone who give this a 10 is a liar. The Netcode is so horrible that you will lag so bad, it will feel like teleporting. Sound is sometimes missing complete. Parcour System dont work like it should. After some hours i had to delete this Game.
  52. May 10, 2011
    Another rushed, half-hearted port of a console game. Gameplay that doesn't know if it wants to be Call of Duty with team based objectives or Team Fortress 2 with modern weaponry. Either way it fails spectacularly in trying to be either. Add in a boat load of bugs from the rush job this game has become and you have a recipe for nerd tears.

Is there a good game underneath all the issues?
    Maybe, but with all the issues who is willing to pay money to go digging for it when a solid FPS experience is already available in so many other games Expand
  53. Dec 23, 2011
    Takes what you expect from the genre and adds improved customization far better mobility and more dynamic objectives, I don't know what it was like at release but it's easily worth it's price tag now.

Graphics and sound are up to par has both single and multiplayer including drop in and out single player campaign.
  54. May 12, 2011
    In reality, Brink is an 8.5. Rounding down to 8 to be fair. Though i will say if you go into brink for a single player experience you will very disappointed. HOWEVER, If you got into brink for a multi-player experience that's different than say call of duty or battlefield... you'll get what you payed for. Brink's Multiplayer is better than any other game thats come out recently, Homefront, Crysis 2, Black Ops. Nothing brink brings to the table is all that "new", they just do a good job of combining it all. Once you pick it up you see elements of Halo, Borderlands, Team Fortress, Battlefield, Call of Duty. All these bits and pieces from other games make brink unlike anything else out there. If you enjoy team play style FPS you will love this game. Coming from a team fortress background, Call of Duty was always fun, but missing that team element. Brink NAILS the team play. Even more than team fortress does, which is surprising.

So the moral of the story: If you are interested in Multi-player, get Brink, you wont be disappointed. If you want a single player game, dont get Brink.
  55. May 16, 2011
    I like Brink. A lot. Ok its never going to make it into my top games of all time, but its a good game and I'm enjoying it a lot. I pre-ordered early and am pleased with the pre-order bonus's and hope to see a few more friends online once they sort out the UK online distribution issues.

That said, I'm recommending my friends wait for some form of price cut on the title before they pick
    it up, or for some of the additional DLC that has been promised by Bioware to be released before they pick it up.

At present, if you can get the game to run (see some of the other posts here for an idea of the issues affecting users of some hardware) its a good shooter. Its not brilliant, but its ok.

As others have noted, it feels slightly off pace, not quite slick enough and you feel like you're just slightly moving through treacle the whole time. Rubber banding will happen on public servers and lag really does have a significant impact on performance where other titles seem to compensate a lot more effectively for it.

Some of the weapons feel more like re-skins of each other than independant weapons in their own right. The class system, similarly, doesn't provide any significant difference between classes at the moment and an often noted complaint is that more players play as engineers and medics than operatives or god forbid actual soldiers because the ability to self buff or self heal is far more beneficial to a player than the slight combat perks and broken armour skill that come with being a soldier, or the ability to disguise yourself as an operative.

Additionally what appeared to be a pretty large palette of skins, clothes, faces and so on in the promo vids isnt nearly so large as all that and at present the game is painfully "samey" in almost all respects. The people you are fighting alongside or against almost all look the same, with the odd exception almost everyone is using the same combination of primary and secondary weapons with similar attachments and backup skills.

The decision to include all the data about your character in an easily edited file on your local hard disk also means that those people who are so inclined, will start every map at max level and with all the skills available... something which most games have been able to prevent natively for ages through auto-detection and rebalancing. Beyond that, there's only 10 levels. Oh and 4 challenge maps. Thats it. There is the promise of more, but at the moment, its the same maps for both of the games campaign modes and whilst they appear very pretty and interesting, you'll quickly find that for most maps, about 80% of the area is just padding that you need to run through after a respawn in order to reach one of 1 or 2 choke points for any given map.

Did I mention that features like online stats have been left out because they haven't built them yet? I've played games that were rushed to publishing before, but never one that basically advertised the fact.. its not a big thing, but its a concern...

Have given this 6 out of 10 because whilst its a good fun game, it needs a lot of TLC to really make it worth the money at the moment, best advice, wait for a sale. If its worth buying there will still be enough of a player base to make it a viable multiplayer game when its come down in price a bit. If not you saved yourself a bit on what may have proved to be nothing more than a short, sometimes frustrating, distraction.
  56. May 17, 2011
    The premise of a waterworld with bothers is certainly an enticing idea and certainly had me interested. Once immersed the game play I quickly realized that the staying power would be short lived. Personally I love precision shooting with high twitch elements. I do genuinely think some people will enjoy the game immensely. Especially once a patch fixes some of its graphical glitches.

I
    think in terms of overall gameplay, TF2 is a better game over Brink. Expand
  57. May 15, 2011
    Having played this game on multiple platforms the PC is clearly the best of the three the graphics really shine, the texture issues aren't there and it just flows. I had no issues with lag playing on Steam until the patch to fix lag came out. Hopefully SplashDamage will get this sorted soon.

Mobility is an interesting new layer to the game, think Mirrors Edge with being rewarded for
    using guns. You really are rewarded for being on the move. The objective wheel gives you an easy way to see what needs to be done and rewards you for doing more then hunting down the other guys. Also interesting is the "body type" actually has a gameplay impact. Instead of being cosmetic a skinny character has increased mobility but less health and weapon choices, medium has a balance of the two while a heavy is fairly immobile but can heft very large very powerful guns.

The AI does scale, while "Dumb" at lower levels it does smarten up as you gain experience (at least the enemy AI) though I did find friendly AI at times wanting but this will hopefully change as SplashDamage have said this was done deliberately and will be adjustable shortly. Now the campaign is fairly short, I have finished all campaign and "what if" scenarios but I have a feeling this will be a "living" game like Left 4 Dead where there's frequent updates. The ending does really set that up nicely.

Any how, don't believe the hype, reading these reviews though I've come to the opinion dedicated PC gaming reviews are more necisary now than ever given the disparity in hardware between PCs and Consoles has crept up again and it appears that more and more games just play differently between the two (this had been a problem in the past but when the 360 and PS3 came out it had improved for a bit but we're back to the tech divide and judging a multi-platform game like this on one console's play through like Joystiq or G4 do is really not fair to the game or people who may be interested in other platforms.)
  58. May 13, 2011
    A great team based FPS shooter. I gave it a 9 , although atm it is a 8 , but after a few patches it will be a solid 9. Sure you might have read it has horrible AI and bugs but keep in mind this is supposed to be an multiplayer game and bugs are fixable and many have already been fixed. Some of the weapons do seem a bit too similar to each other , but it does really not bother me so much because this is not supposed to be an super realistic MW clone where you can be killed by a bouncing knife scratching your leg...

So a solid team FPS that can only get more better by time.
  59. May 24, 2011
    I had really been looking forward to this game. Since it was announced at E3 2010, I've kept tabs on its development. I watched all the game-play videos as they were released and read any info available. once it was released, I was GREATLY disappointed. Some of the original game-play videos showed lots of character interaction and conversation, like characters on your team describing mission objectives IN-GAME, not just in an animation before the round starts, And then you just get placed on the map and 3-2-1, the game begins, a little too much like Team Fortress 2 I think. Also, the story doesn't flow at all, it just jumps from one badly designed mission to another. The game is somewhat fun for a little while, but it just gets boring. Some things were done well though. The customization options weren't exaggerated and neither was the stylized running/parkour. It's fun to try out different combinations of abilities and to just zip around the map with the fast, small, whatever, character type. Overall, I'm giving BRINK a 6/10, not any more or less than it deserves. I would have given it more if it had been released less altered from Splash Damage and Bethesda's original promises. Instead of buying this game, I would suggest using that cash to pre-purchase RAGE, which looks pretty nifty. Go check that one out, and when it is released, ill put upa review of it. Here's to hoping there aren't any more big letdowns for the gaming community. Expand
  60. May 16, 2011
    Brink is a fantastic take on the FPS genre. Following similar style to TF2, Brink offers everything CoD doesn't, teamwork, full gun and character customization, class based combat and co-op. What's to hate? Majority of the critics are stupid fools playing on Xbox who have a mind set of, CoD CoD CoD CoD, Call of Duty isn't everything! Brink has one of the greatest weapon customization menus out of any game I know, immense character customization, dedicated servers, co-op, single player, multiplayer, Single player and multiplayer that link simultaneously online and offline, and classes the offer different game play types each game, every time Brink is a step above. I recommend to true FPS fans who enjoy teamwork, playing with mates and not the 12 year old's that think everything but Call of Duty is bad. 9/10 Game. Expand
  61. May 10, 2011
    This is the game I want for a long time. You would only like this game when you know what will be expected and how the game is to be played. Unique art style, customizations and abilities, objectives with different classes. In recent years, most FPS games released are just like clones to each other. I can't deny that COD: MW has made a forward leap in FPS genre. Yet, with its success, all the other games start to copy its style. This is not the case for BRINK. No more TDM, no more one hit kills, replaced by team-based objective mode. In this game, skill of the player is not the paramount, but how the players work together for greater good. It Expand
  62. May 15, 2011
    I was, in a way, dreading release of this game, which was gifted to me on steam (as a Christmas present by my little bro!).

However, I was pleasantly surprised! Brink is a very fast-paced game, more akin to TF2 than anything else. The classes and abilities are very similar - a lot of which must be earned through experience and level points a la Battlefield 2 style. Whilst the ability
    to customise your avatar is nice, for an old school gamer like me it's pointless gimmickry - I'd rather see more weapons and abilities!

I'm still getting to grips with the parkouring abilities (you'll need to select a "light" body type to be able to, for example, wall-run), but I feel that having the skills to use this ability will lead to some stunning kills in MP matches!

Single player can be fun - but it's blatantly tacked on to the main game and serves more as tutorial than a game in it's own right. Buying this game for the SP experience only is like buying a high-performance car and only taking it out to go get the weekly shopping!

Multiplayer still needs some improvement - games can be somewhat laggy, but not horrendously so. I'm on a 3.5Mbps ADSL connection (slow compared to my previous 50Mbps cable!), but it's still been playable, without too much grumbling.

On the whole, would I recommend this game? Yes! It's a good game - it'll be awesome once the MP lag issues are sorted!
  63. May 10, 2011
    It's fun to play and it adds some strategy aspect to the FPS genre which might make it less appealing to people looking for a dumb shooter like CoD. It's kind of like Borderlands with more content, better graphics and more exciting game play. I think most people are just comparing it to CoD which prevents them from being open to new ideas. It wasn't meant to be in the same category. This one is definitely worth a try! Expand
  64. Feb 16, 2012
    I'll start with the bad things, which aren't many but totally gamebreaking: the A.I is horrible, and I mean it. Offline matches can be hard mainly because of the stupidity of your team mates, and sometimes you can LOSE because of them. It's sad considering it's a team based shooter but your AI is totally unreliable. The content also is lacking: 2 different campaigns but they last probably less than 4 hours each, and only few challenges available (and required in order to obtain some weapons). These are probably the worst parts of the game but...I actually liked the game! I loved the customization: it's actually huge and can create many types of characters, and the 3 types of body builds actually can change your playstyle. The weapons are many and some work better than others, but the best thing is the weapon customization, which works actually good to me. The 4 classes are also detailed, with their talents and, most important, their parts in the map, since some places requires you to use a certain class. The story it's actually good...at least the idea, but it's poorly told and what could be an interesting story it's just a background set up for the game, which is very sad. And for last, the multiplayer is nice...when it's playable, because it usually lags a lot and unfortunely it's hard to find good parties to play with, which is sad considering this is a lot based on the multiplayer. And about multiplayer, the maps work actually good and I rarely felt lost on them, which is easy for me considering my bad sense of directions. To me, this game is mainly a wasted potential, because if it was more cured in the details it would have been much, MUCH better, but right now we get a very lacking shooter that does its job right in some areas, but fails horribly in others. Maybe think about it if you ever see it on a (big) discount. Expand
  65. May 11, 2011
    I've played about Brink on the PC about 6 hours now and it's better than Borderlands, Bf:BC2, and CoD BOps. The gameplay is what I was hoping for as a RTCW/W:ET fan. The movement speed certainly isn't as fast as those games, but the parkour movement adds a different movement dynamic since there isn't any circle strafe jumping. If you like having to work as a team and being rewarded for your ability to track players as well as twitch shoot, this might be a good game for you. The weapons are balanced well from what I can see but many CoD/BF players haven't learned to shoot from the hip at close to medium range. So far, most of what I see on the servers and in some of these reviews (day 3) is people trying to play TDM and people not understanding which class is important for which mission. This baffles me as the class selection wheel highlights the most important class. There are even tutorial videos! People are currently also only looking for the most direct route to the objectives and not exploring parkour routes. However, the game is not without some bugs. One map appears to not have sound (bug) and using s_restart doesn't work. To be fair, Borderlands, BF:BC2 (hit detection/MASTER server crashes), and CoD BlackOps had just as many and as severe bugs on release but weren't penalized in the reviews for them. And don't listed to the idiot that said the developers are unresponsive. I see posts from them every day. They are trying to identify the bugs and squash them as quickly as possible. Expand
  66. May 13, 2011
    I had to wait several days before I felt I could give this game a fair review. The reason for this was due to the very large amount of hype Bethesda and Splash Damage attached to this game to the extent that in Brink's facebook page they heavily exaggerated the amount of interest in Brink at PAX East (I was there, which is why I know they weren't telling the truth) and the large fanboy following which is evident in many of the games positive reviews on here (the wording of the reviews, not the fact that they have positive reviews). The simple truth about this game is that even if you put aside the fact that there are serious lag and connection issues in multiplayer the game itself is barely mediocre and frankly wouldn't be one of the top games if it were released in 2004 let alone 2011. The ID tech4 engine (which was released in 2004) looks abysmally outdated even despite the changes they made to it for this game. The developers highly touted use of parkour for traversing terrain using their SMART (Smooth Movement Around Random Terrain) system would be an imaginative addition if the maps weren't so bland and simple. The weapons feel like blunt instruments not precision ballistics and the nades are an absolute joke, their trajectory doesn't look remotely bound by any rules of physics and the explosions are laughably bad. The plot and voice acting for the single players game and the multiplayers characters feels like something from a cheesy low budget 80s sci-fi movie. In multiplayer there are lag issues and issues where every player on a server will lose sound all at once (happens on multiple servers). I could go on but there's no need for me to completely bury this game. Without the multiplayer problems this game is no better than a 4, with those issues this game is a 2 but I'll give it a 3 under the assumption that future updates will fix the multiplayer bugs. A highly disappointing game. Expand
  67. May 11, 2011
    Brink is quite the game. It doesn't suffer many of the problems of it's console counterparts at the moment (most notably lag). It is relatively lag free, and is an absolute blast if you love to work with a team to complete objective. It's fantastic in that you can work together, but you cannot go lone wolf here, people who have a "Call of Duty mindset" beware that you cannot go it alone and expect to win. The AI bots are admittedly pretty boring to play with, but the goal of this game was obviously multiplayer, team-based gaming, and it completely nails that. That's what I bought it for, don't listen to people or sites that have reviewed only the 360 code of the game, as the PC version is a totally different breed! Expand
  68. May 10, 2011
    Yes, there is a learning curve here, and yes, there are some bugs, but it's only Day 1. These kinds of things are expected, especially from something like this. But once you learn how to use the S.M.A.R.T. system and complete a few challenges, you'll come to absolutely adore this game. Also, could we please stop complaining about the bugs? Name one game that was released without a single bug.
  69. May 13, 2011
    It has potential, with patches, and a Mod tool kit, it should really open up the game. It feels old school like Quake 3 but with objectives and classes like more modern team based shooters. With some patches, and if they deliver the tools to mod it, I think it will kick ass. I find it fun, but it is pretty buggy, I thought the AI Was actually pretty decent compared to some games, they will do objectives and help out, but they also sometimes go off into la la land and forget about it. Expand
  70. May 16, 2011
    This game has probably had the worse launch I have seen in my life. It shipped with major bugs, slow loading textures, incompatible with ATI graphics cards, issues with gameplay balance and game breaking lag. The game was removed from the UK Steam store on launch and is still unavailable today (16/5/11).

I cant recommend this game right now, with it being shipped as a broken product.
    Wait for the dust to settle and bugs to be ironed out then give it a try because right now there isnt an experience to be had Expand
  71. Dec 29, 2011
    I'm glad i waited for the Steam holiday sales before buying this game. Brink promised to "blend" the multiplayer and singleplayer games into a seamless experience, which sounded really interesting when they said it like that. But actually all they did was create a COD-like multiplayer shooter with bots and call it a singleplayer story mode! So innovative!!! My apologies if your sarcasm detector is now broken. The dodgy AI and a forgetful story make you wonder why they even bothered with the singleplayer game. Not to mention the unlocks... millions of unlocks. I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't unlocks for the unlocks. However, if you view Brink purely as a multiplayer game, then it is actually fairly solid. But it's nothing amazing, and more than a few shooters from 2011 are much better. At the end of the day there's just nothing to keep me playing this game. It has no WOW! factor at all. I do hope, though, that Splash Damage will continue to develop their engine and games, because it's obvious that they've got some insanely talented people in their ranks with amazing potential. They just need to learn what makes a AAA shooter fun to play these days, and they could do such great things. Expand
  72. May 11, 2011
    Brink is a very different game. Stepping into it expecting your typical Deathmatch, CTF, etc. and a singleplayer campaign is what Brink isn't about. It ties the campaign levels into multi-player. Brink is all about having teams working together and movement. Freedom of movement in Brink is a welcomed feature (in my opinion) for the FPS genre. The game encourages players to take different routes and think of strategic ways to flank your enemies. This game is based on team work instead of kills. You don't even know how many kills you get, just XP. This shows how much the developers wanted people to focus on teamwork. Customization in this game is AMAZING. So much stuff to unlock, and you unlock it quick! No grinding and grinding for a gun or a item. Play for a bit and you'll get what you want. Each class has a set of unique abilities and perks to go with them. Such as the engineer building faster, Medic making regen health regenerate even faster or Soldier giving more ammo. There are so much different play styles and looks that it's hard to get in this one review. The flaws of this game are the weak single-player. While the tied campaign missions into multi-player is a good idea, I was expecting a single-player with characters and all that. But don't let this one flaw kill the game like it did for many other reviewers. This is the only flaw in this game that has bothered me. The game is smooth and very unique. Guns are a blast to customize and try. Have some friends play with you and you'll love this game. Don't let it's new ideas scare you away, you will love it. Expand
  73. n20
    May 22, 2011
    Brink ventures away from the common world of modern day warfare shooters with a breath of fresh air. It borrows elements from other shooters and mixes it into a solid game thats fun to play. TF2's emphasis on teamwork, BC2's class dependency, and a dash of APB's character customization. Its not your typical CoD gameplay where players get to lone wolf with a high kill/death ratio to win missions, and its the people that suffer from that mentality that likely hate the game. Gone is KD ratio records and the best players are rated by how many points scored by accomplishing objectives and team support. The SMART movement system is fun and becomes even more when you unlock the light body type for your characters. Character customization is fun and well designed, seeing your characters between missions cinematic is a nice touch. Sadly, a bad launch prevented Brink from becoming an exceptional game. Considerable bugs, odd camera movement at times, enemies not rendering, and such, hurt Brink in the eyes of many. The recent and impending patches go a long way to make up for it however. Brink is worth your time and money, but you wouldn't be wrong to wait a little bit to buy. Expand
  74. May 11, 2011
    If you're looking for fun, play something else. The campaign mode is annoying on solo, you can't command your fellow fighters to do anything and don't expect them to cover you, follow you, or assist in any manner...they do their own thing while you get shot, sometimes they will toss you a revive shot. The SMART system they talk about is no big deal, wow one buttons lets me jump and climb...that's worth 50$. The unlockable weapon upgrades don't do much; like a drum magazine increases the ammo capacity from 23 to 45...seriously?!? How about 100 round drums, that's what they are modeled after. Why do red dot sights reduce the equip speed? Enemies can incapacitate you with one melee hit, while you can't do the same. Oh and good luck finding a server to play on.

Run here while shooting, run there while shootin, press and hold F while getting shot, run here, run there, escort this, escort that, press and hold F. There is what you will be doing on every mission.

If you want a fun pvp game play TF2, this game fails big.
  75. May 11, 2011
    This game definitely has a lot of potential. It is fun and a change of pace to your usual shooter. As long as splash damage can fix the sound problems and some of the bugs in a timely manner I think it'll do well. On launch night I was playing single player and the AI was pretty bad but last night it actually seemed better so I'm not sure if they hotfixed something in or what but it's fairly acceptable now. If you're on the fence about it, wait a week and see what splash damage does for fixes but overall I'm happy I bought it. Expand
  76. May 10, 2011
    So launch day there is a bug where theres no sound for entire servers so im gonna judge this game as presented. A game with no sound that isn't a horror game with a hearing impaired person is unacceptable. Im sick and tired of all these producers launching beta's as finished products. class balancing leaves a few things to be desired I.E operatives have no innate point generation like all the other classes. Really this is a par game with nothing new probably a 5 or 6 but with no sound its a 1. Expand
  77. May 15, 2011
    Brink is an disappointment. It's not a bad game at all but it didn't live up to the hype and has too many annoying flaws. The story has a good concept but they don't do anything with it. There is barely any story telling, and only bits of story you get are the short cutscenes at the beginning of the missions. Graphics are good and stylish, kind of reminds me borderlands. The character customization is pretty damn awesome, sadly there aren't that many customization options. Friendly AI is one of the worst I have ever seen, solo campaign of brink is one of the worst gaming experiences ive ever had. Despite that the multiplayer of brink, when it works is a blast. It's hard to be harsh on a game what tries something different. Brink is worth a purchase if you have friends who play it / are planning on purchasing it. Otherwise you should wait a bit until the price drops and DLC comes out. Expand
  78. May 10, 2011
    It isn't the best game but not the worst. Brink is for gamers looking for an objective type gaming society. The only way to get anywhere in multiplayer is with teamwork and communication. The customization of characters really isn't too exciting, you pick armor, and change the color really. But even with the color hanging, you only have about 5 color options for every piece and if you mix 2 colors your guy just looks horrific. So my message to all readers is get the game if you want a fun online experience that implements cool features with teamwork. But if you want to just be that campaign guy....DO NOT BUY! There is no campaign, it is actually just arenas that you can play, I Mean when you buy the game, you can play the last level first and work your way back if you wanted to. Expand
  79. May 14, 2011
    This game is good at nothing.
    Parkour game where you can't jump (or can jump 1 feet high)? Is this some kind of a sick joke? The gameplay feels clumsy in every way, the camera is shaking all time, there are MILLIONS of bugs, and... you can't shoot while you run. All character types are soooooooooooooooooooooooo slow, and sprinting is useless while fighting. "Move more than you shoot" more
    like "Move and you'll get shot" . Also, you don't really feel like you're killing somebody when they just fall on the ground, and the weapons feel not powerful at all. parkouring, moving over obstacles is slower than running past them. The only thing I give this game 2 is the smoothness of the menus, and the solid level up system. This game doesn't do anything better than some other game. Expand
  80. May 16, 2011
    I was a bit sceptical about this game at first, seeing how it got some pretty bad ratings in the first round of reviews. However, curiosity got the better of me and I finally purchased it on Steam. Yes, this game has some issues but it's not all bad. Yes, there are bugs. I haven't encountered any major ones in the PC version, only font corruption and that the game occasionally freezes if you Tab to the desktop. However, these will most likely be fixed in a future patch. Yes, the single player part is kinda dull. Yes, the AI for the bots could use some improvements. And yes, the story sucks badly. The Challenge modes are pretty dull and unimaginative. There are some minor issues with the design on some maps, especially some objectives which turn into giant gunfire mosh pits where you can hardly stick your nose out without getting the head blown off. But there are also plenty of things that Brink does right. The graphics and design is top-notch. The UI is clean, simple, objective focused and fits the gameplay perfectly. The character customization is great and there are plenty of options to make your character look unique. My only complaint is that there are no female characters. In addition there are tons of unlockable weapons, upgrades, useful abilities and stuff for all classes. And the classes themselves are fun and balanced, each fitting the game perfectly. But what I love most about this game is the run-and-gun feel of the combat. It's fast, hectic and the parcour-like SMART-system makes it so fun, climbing over obstacles, jumping over rooftops, wall jumping to the floor, slidetackling your opponent and shoot him down as he knocked down to the floor. Secondly, this game STRONGLY encourages teamwork by rewarding XP for buffing your teammates, escorting or guarding objectives and sticking close to the group. In fact, being a lonewolf is counterproductive if you want to level up. The game scorebord tracks player by XP earned, not kills which adds further empahasis on teamwork. The top player is the one who was of most use to this team, not some idiot camping in a corner trying to get easy kills. Which brings me to my final point. No sniper class! No real sniper weapons! No wookies squatting in the bushes miles away! No airstrikes! No silly vehicles! What a breath of fresh air! In the end it's all about your team, the objectives and that SMG in your hand and isn't that great start? While BRINK does have it faults at least its a great step in the right direction and other gaming companies should take note. Expand
  81. Aug 6, 2011
    Lack of subtitles has turned me away from playing this game. Thank you Steam for the free weekend. Thanks to Steam, I can legally play the game for free only to discover that there is no subititles at all. Also the menu system is extremely confusing. How about a simple "single player", Multiplayer, options, exit and not the messy menu they have now?

I'm a TF2 player (with the TF2 CC mod)
    so I know what MP is all about. Expand
  82. Jun 13, 2011
    This is an excellent multiplayer FPS, and surprisingly it's still interesting to play solo, contrary to what some say. I have an NVidia card, so I never had any issues with the game, and I heard that a lot, if not all, of the ATI issues have been patched. However, for once there is a game with objectives, not a low-brow FPS which only require to have the maximum kill count. Plus the objectives are dynamic, they change during one game, and they are not symetric, so playing in each of the sides is very different. The ability to choose your character and customize the weapons is great too, because as always you can't have the best of all, you have to choose. This is by far the best multiplayer game in my game library with TF2 and Left 4 Dead 1/2 (which are very different). Expand
  83. Jun 17, 2011
    The story ending makes it seem like there is to be a Brink 2. I hope there is. But if they do it I hope it's a lot more varied with more depth of game play (not just in terms of story perspectives).

More specifically, I like what this game tries to do by combining types of game play (single player story + multi-player + shooter + leveling + parkour + team fortress) and the taking sides
    in a story with plenty of gray-area. However, in the end I was bored. The different character weights and classes didn't feel different enough; the depth just wasn't there so the differences felt hollow. I played through the campaigns from both perspectives, the extra missions, the training levels (all to 3 stars), and lots online. I felt like it took forever to level up to level 20. And with all the stuff in the game it never felt varied enough to keep me truly interested. Expand
  84. May 11, 2011
    Brink is Amazing, Great graphics, great gameplay, Even on the lower end of min spec you can get away with great looking graphics, Multi player is one of the best iv seen, it takes what Killzone 3 did for the PS3 and intensified 5x and we get Brink, I can't wait for part 2. Story mode was fun and immersive, you really get a feel for how these people are struggling in the world they live in. Great Idea for brink, looking forward to the DLC. IMO Brink is a must buy for anyone who loves FPS. Expand
  85. May 13, 2011
    The only thing I was really disappointed about was the exclusion of free-roaming, because the game just seemed perfect for it. The world developed for Brink was imaginative, to an extent, and had plenty of potential to be explored a la Borderlands. Overall, however, the game is a worthy title that shamelessly "borrows" a few concepts from other IPs and builds on them, melding together a very decent shooter that, fortunately, isn't another CoD clone. Definitely worth at least an 8/10, and worth a try. Expand
  86. May 14, 2011
    Good game just needs a bit of tweeking and it will be Great. I've already seen an improvement since day 1. This is my favourite fps game out at the moment but that could be because there is just a lack of good quality pc games. This is definitely worth a go if you are waiting for BF3. There are a few bugs but hopefully they will be sorted soon.
  87. May 10, 2011
    I waited and had this game preordered the first chance I could get my hands on it. I've been waiting and waiting for so long for a new fresh game to come and brink is truly that. Brink brings a HUGE mix of previous games into play and gives it own style. If you enjoy any of the following: TF2, CSS, BF2, BFBC2 you'll find some part of Brink to enjoy.
    Brink is a lot of fun with their
    S.M.A.R.T. system, and you can get some pretty cool combos going once you are running around. Leveling and ranking up in the system is not hard ANYTHING you do in the game counts towards your XP, so if you play offline, it counts, online it counts, you want to farm bots all day and night long and just power level, it counts.

So single player/solo play is a lot of fun, but multi-player is what this game is designed for, and its also designed to play with your friends that have it. So here is the current issue and reason why I gave it a 9/10, is the fact that on launch day they've been hyping up dedicated servers for PC, and I help a game community run servers, nothing makes me more mad and annoyed than a company releasing a game with nonfunctional dedicated servers. Now there are SOME people I've seen been able to get them up and running, but there are so few servers online working it makes it almost impossible to join one without it being full or the host shutting it down because of lag or boredom who knows.

Now I can only hope that Splash Damage will fix the dedicated server issues and also address and fix the local hosting ability for people so we can play with our friends those of us who don't wish or have the ability to host a dedicated server or want to rent one from a GSP.

All in all, if you are looking for a game to play, I'd highly suggest thing if you are willing to suck it up with some online play issues and hope that the dev. (Splash Damage) will in the next couple days/weeks fix these issues. This game is really meant for online play and its a disappointment not to have that ability on release night/day.
  88. May 10, 2011
    What can I say, I love this game. Is it like any other game on the market? Bits from here and pieces from there. What is great about Brink is that it pulls in aspects from so many other games and puts it into an amazing package. Coming from a RTCW and ET background, no other game has come close to filling in the void that my first real game has created. Finally something has come to fit the bill. What you have here is a team based game. Maps are driven by objectives instead of kills and each person is vital in some way to the success of the team. Add in fast movements and actual gunfights that don't end from a single bullet and you start to see what Brink offers. Definitely a great buy for me. Expand
  89. May 10, 2011
    I played it. It's not as good as I hoped (the objectives are stupid--just walk up and hold down a button). But honestly COD has some REALLY STUPID stuff about it too. Like AIRSTRIKES in FPS Multiplayer! You don't put AIRSTRIKES in a competitive MP FPS game--it's not competitive FPS-wise. Brink reminds me of team fortress 2--i have not played tf2 but I saw a bit of video.
    I like Brink. I've
    only played single player offline. The computer is not that smart, but it's playable. I'd give it a 8/10 for now. If the graphics gets fixed to high-end PC standards, I'd give it an 9/10. Offline. I have not tried online yet.
    Really, the graphics look dated in actual gameplay. I already know PC will rule in graphics unless there is some kind of bug keeping the 360 from showing the graphics properly. Brink is supposed to have superb graphics and so for I only see that in the gun selection screen. Blame the limited 360 or a bug,--if it is a bug. Sad. Graphics affect the 'feel' of a game. It's all about sight and sound.
    The levels don't have as much verticality as I thought they would. It feels like BC2 but you can climb stuff. And yes, you do get stuck where you have to jump over things or climb a certain way. Not as in a glitch. As in, you cannot climb a corner-ledge in this one level. To climb you have to be facing head-on. As a medium or heavy you cannot run very fast. Feels like BC2 in the walking/running. A light weight can run a bit faster and climb better. You can run fast enough to escape, but not as fast as a 'parkour' or 'freerunning' game would inspire.
    Some of the guns don't feel 'heavy'. There really is no recoil except for sniper rifles. There is bullet spread. I see Brink as a game a certain group of people will enjoy--like the group that plays TF2. If it works online without the recently mentioned lag it will be decent (if they fix the graphics). It's just not what it was said to be. The levels often have small choke points! They should feel huge! I am ready for Next-gen gaming. Maybe I'll build a new PC...
  90. May 10, 2011
    This game is a welcome break from the shovelware FPS games that have flooded the market. Instead of just killing your opponents, the game is objective based. Supplying your team mates with ammo, weapon upgrades or health earns you just as many, if not more experience points. Capturing objectives, building obstacles for the opposing team and taking command posts are all important keys to victory, if your team just goes in blasting and can't work together, you won't get anything accomplished. The parkour is fun and can be useful as well. On the down side, there are a number of bugs that will hopefully be patched (server and sound problems), and a few balance issues that could benefit from some retooling. I really hope more maps and other unlockables will be added in the future and the bugs ironed out, but otherwise it's exactly what I've been looking for. Expand
  91. May 10, 2011
    Like all new games, Brink has it's share of problems. However, most of these are already being worked on to be resolved. But we're not here to discuss the release bugs; we're here to talk about the game itself.

If you're looking for an experience similar to Call of Duty? This game will disappoint. If you're not a completely retarded fanboy, who loves team-based multiplayer mayhem, then
    Brink is most certainly a game you should be looking at getting.

The game play is solid as a rock. You're not going to become a 1-man army, as there are rarely any one shot kills, and certain objectives which must be completed to win a map can only be done by certain classes. No more planting or defusing bombs as a medic, like you see in Battlefield. Accomplishing goals can only be done through good team work, as does destroying your opponents, as the more fire you have on a target, the faster it goes down.

Splash Damage has even found a way to make an assist system that doesn't completely suck balls. Every other game with an assist system, requires you get past a certain damage threshold before you can be acknowledged for an assist, and ends up giving you less if you're not the one to finish the guy off. In Brink, all damage to enemies gains XP proportionally. If you do 75% of the damage to a guy, and one of your team mates does the other 25%, you, having done the most damage, get the most XP from it.

The game highly encourages team play, because as I have said, it is very much required. Say your team doesn't have any operatives, but you need to hack a console to proceed. You won't be needing to shout at your team mates to switch classes just to get **** down, since your objective wheel will give you an objective to change class, granting you XP when you do, making it a great incentive to change to a different class, even if it is your least favorite.

Everything in combat feels fluid and dynamic. You can jump, sprint, slide, climb, run on walls... And all while still being able to shoot your gun while performing any of these actions. It adds a lot to the depth of the game. Running across an open room and getting tore up? Just slide behind some cover. Sprinting down a hallway and run smack dab into a group of the enemy? Slide into them and knock 'em over like a bunch of bowling pins, then massacre them with SMG fire to their ugly faces. Enemy sniping you from behind cover? Toss a frag in there and knock him out of it, then give him a double tap to his nuts.

Don't trust the haters. If you had an interest in the game before the reviews, there should be no reason to assume you wouldn't like it now.
  92. May 10, 2011
    It's not a perfect game, but hey not all games are perfect. The one thing I have the most hate for is the AI, and how derpy it is. I play on the highest setting and it still doesn't increase how smart they are or not.

For gameplay, I love TF2, which made me love this game all the more. Objective based games are probably my favorite. The one thing that I didn't really like is there was
    no post-game score. I am curious how I did in the game, but I don't want to keep pressing "tab" to see my score, I won't remember to do it after every game. Sure it's a bit buggy, but the game JUST came out, it'll get it's fair share of patches (Hopefully fix the derpy AI) but I believe this game is pretty good for my tastes. Expand
  93. May 10, 2011
    Great game. Smoothest launch for a PC game in a long time for both client and server side. Amazing art style and great teamwork gameplay. I will be playing this for awhile.
  94. May 10, 2011
    Brink is one of the best games I've ever played. The game has bits of some of the best games in the world and It's very own uniqueness such as the SMART system and the ability to create your own unique character
  95. May 10, 2011
    All in all, I have to say I like it. The graphics are well done, the sound is spot on, the controls arn't horrible, and the gameplay is top notch. That being said, there are quite a few bugs that need to be worked out before I give it a 10. Sometimes sound will cease to work, sometimes there are graphical issues and freezing on menus. Also, there seems to be a bit more optimization on the 3d rendering code as Brink requires a top cost, hardcore, machine. Expect to be playing on default graphics settings until they work this out. My recommendation is buy this if you are chomping at the bit for a new FPS. If you arn't, I would wait until some of the kinks are worked out. Expand
  96. May 10, 2011
    Awesome game. Great artwork, smooth gameplay, focus on teamplay, SMART rocks... i really love it. I don't care that the KI is not that good or that there is no real singleplayer. This game has its focus on multiplayer/teamwork and that part is just brilliant.
  97. May 10, 2011
    Brink is exceptional at numerous things. The gunplay at this early stage feels balanced, the Story is weighty and backed up by an impressive multiplayer. The unique art style is incredible for such low specs, and can utilise the 360 game-pad for those either with a bad case of arthritis, or seeking a more powerful x360 version on a PC. Whilst the are GOOD things to be exceptional at, there is a minor bug issue. Remember folks, this IS splash damage making the game here. It'll get patched Whilst that may frustrate gamers that the game is 'broken', it is most certainly NOT. Its immersive, impressive and intellectual. The SMART movement system works, with a minor error or two. Brink seems to stand out between the more modern blood fests of FPS's these days. It doesn't punish you for not pushing the correct button at the specific time, or feature ludicrous areas where player input has no effect. No, Brink is colourful, a great experience online, doesn't feature and abysmal singleplayer, and wait for it... It's Fun. That's all that matters. Is it a FUN game. Yes. It is.

(In case you can't read well, imagine BF:BC2 with Mirrors Edge agility, with the fun of TF2. A recipe for FUN)
  98. May 10, 2011
    I'm liking the game after 4 straight hours of game play. I can tell that it will be a great game once a few issue get ironed out. The SMART system is nice but the animation could use a little polish. The AI is garbage. The objective wheel is a big help. Not only will it give you objectives according to priority but it will also highlight them on screen. This game has some real potential and I hope it gets the attention it deserves. Expand
  99. May 11, 2011
    Intuitive, fun and addicting, Brink has lots going for it, especially the brilliant customisation and team based game play. Definitely worth a look, but if you want an engrossing single play story out of your game, perhaps you should look elsewhere
  100. May 10, 2011
    I never write reviews but this game is getting allot undeserved flack and I don't want someone to think those reviews are valid. Brink injects some fresh blood into the stall FPS genre. In a market were every game is trying to be the next COD or Halo, Brink doesn't cave to pressure. Anyways the game plays like Global Ops, TF2 and Unreal. The movement is good and the damage seems just about right. Graphics wise its not going to win any awards but the art style makes up for that. Expand
  101. May 15, 2011

1. Oct 19, 2011
    Brink is destined to be a cult classic (on PC), for us fans of Quake Wars. Has no single player value but high entry difficulty due to tight team focus and sprawling maps. Good, but not nearly as damn good as Quake Wars. I like Brink but it is no wonder that most gamers don't. [June 2011]
  2. Jul 26, 2011
    Who would have thought that this highly ambitious concept would turn out to be such a bland game?
  3. Jun 24, 2011
    Brink's unique visual style and great customization options save the day. Although its core gameplay needs some polishing, it's a solid multiplayer-only experience nevertheless. [July 2011, p.81]