8.1

1. Jan 28, 2014
    From the art style to the music to the voice acting, Broken Age proves to be a solid game with a lot of personality on its own. The fine humor on the dialogues make for an unique experience, from start to finish.

Puzzles are logical, so an experienced adventure gamer won't be stuck so easily. Some people will find it too easy, some people will get stuck on one or two of them, but will
    quickly find the answer, for sure.

The interface is simple yet elegant. Based on a touch screen UX, it does not do any favor to PC gamers. Dragging and dropping items is not exactly the best solution for mouse support, but it is not a deal breaker at all.

At some point later on the game you will realize that you are looking to a classic point and click, witch a beautiful landscape, some backtrack action and amazing character personalities. I played this game with a smile on my face from the beginning to the end (4 hours long), and one cannot ignore this.

It is not Tim Schafer's masterpiece (yet), but its characters and the story makes this one of the best out there.
  2. Jan 29, 2014
    God, I need to vent this. Broken Age is a REALLY bad game; bland as hell. Basically they **** up everything. Not only is it a bad, boring and shallow game, but it becomes glaringly obvious that it is a big step back from LucasArts games.

There's no look/take/use/etc. Only left click and everything will be conveniently solved for you. The problem with this is that the game lacks the
    descriptions you would get by looking at stuff in the backgrounds; plus there hardly is anything to interact with. This sadly means that a big part of the charm - listening to humorous or moody phrases or one liners is absolutely gone.

But the worst part is not the controls, or the easy as **** puzzles.

As Ron Gilbert recently said in an interview with Tim Schafer, adventure games are really an excuse to look at pretty sceneries and listen/read good writing. Well, the game **** fails to deliver any of these.

It's so goddamn bland and uninspired that you can almost taste the unmotivated design team.

The sceneries are devoid of any real detail. Yes, they look pretty, in a gay-as-hell-21st-century-progressive-fairytale sort of way. There just isn't anything of interest to look at. Forget the interiors and computer huds from Full Throttle.
    Also, the characters don't show any **** emotion. The voice acting is the typical sedated crap you get nowadays. It's almost like the developers tell the actors to not put themselves into the characters, but instead make them all sound the same. Plus, as the expressions from the characters' faces change pretty much NOTHING, the game doesn't really put a definite emotion through.

The game world is simply not interesting. Other thing that bugged me was when they zoomed the characters' faces in the dialogues; you can see the poor quality of the backgrounds up close: blurry, not very defined; you can pretty much tell they were made with photoshop in a hurry. I'm certain that if they had pixelated everything in the game it would all look sharper, and well, better.

Music was pretty off too. At times it felt pointless and irrelevant. At others, strangely out of mood.

And the writing is as bland as everything else. Not funny, not moody. This guy **** lost it. Forget the "nerd" 1990's-Simpsons humor you would find in DotT, you'll find none of that.

What else can I say, I did not expect too much when I saw the first screens they released way back, expecting a sort of snuggle-feel-good game, but hell this was really mediocre. What the **** did they do all this time? Were did all the money go, to voice actors?
  3. Jan 28, 2014
    Tim Schafer's first adventure game after many years is finally here, and it looks and sounds fantastic! The art style is unusual, but charming and the animations are all very well done. The music and voice acting is spectacular, too, both on a level that we haven't see before on adventure games. I also enjoyed the storytelling and the characters, although some of them are rather flat and one-dimensional (as often in Shafer's games). The one that stands out as extraordinarily well done is the enigmatic "wolf", Marek. The world and locations overall are fairly interesting, although some of it seems rather randomly packed together (e.g. the lumberjack, who is funny, but doesn't appear to fit into the story at all).

The one point where the game fails to deliver is the puzzles. They are simply way too easy. I didn't even get stuck once in the entire first act and basically played it through in one go. It felt more like a click-through animated story than an adventure games at times, there was really no challenge at all. Even the somewhat more difficult ones were all run-off-the-mill adventure game puzzles (e.g. combining two items in the inventory, the star map pattern matching). This is regrettable as the makers should have known that their core audience (the KS backers) are seasoned adventure gamers. What made it worse is that the game was repeatedly telling me what to do before I even had a chance to explore and think about the puzzles myself. In that way, it robbed me of the sense accomplishment of finding the solution by myself. Maybe a choice of difficulty at the start (enable/disable hints) could have improved the experience for me.

The game also lacked some depth. The first act felt short (partially because it was too easy) and had few rooms, few items, and too little dialog. It felt like too much effort was spent on art, animation, music and voice acting, and too little on actual game play and creating a rich and deep world.
  4. Jan 30, 2014
    This is the most disappointing game in like 20 years, no kidding. I backed this game with $100, believing it was going to be old-school .. well .. it's not. It's very modern and it's for modern gamers who don't like to get stuck or having to use their brains. Just clickety-click and it's over, no challenge, no thinking - super easy. Uninspired and uninteresting story, horrible art-style (I know, it's a matter of taste), short. I know it's only act 1, but it's still A LOT shorter than just about any adventure game I've played. There are like two commands and you just use one mouse button.. seriously? I'm not going to give this a 0 though, since it's not THAT bad, it's just very mediocre and nothing special at all. I really regret backing this and I would never pay money for this game, had I known this is what it's like. I feel so ripped of, they used $3.4 million dollars for THIS? Bland, bland bland. The music is very forgettable, and there's just so little to do and interact with! Expand
  5. Jan 29, 2014
    Terrible game. Puzzles are WAY too easy. Graphics are sub-par, it looks like a glorified Flash game. Everything feels floaty, and textures are rock-bottom quality (whenever the game zooms in they get terribly blurry) Artistic design is bland and generic, nothing new here though it sure as hell appeals to the hipster demographic. Music is non-existent. It plays in the background and stays there, thankfully I guess. It's not moody, and feels like it was added as an afterthought.

The reason I gave it a 1 is because you can install Full Throttle, or whatever, Monkey Island 2, and get a much better experience.

In fact, I believe the only reason this game is getting reviews is either due to two things: apologetic buyers who don't want to feel bad for having wasted their money and hopes; and they haven't played a single classic point-and-click adventure game in their lives.
  6. Jan 28, 2014
    I really thought I'd dislike Broken Age's visual style but it sucked me in and held on tight. The animation will surprise and entrance you at every turn, and coupled with the dialogue and voice acting (which sway from decent to great) you get a very strong sense of the world you're operating in. The puzzles are easy and the first act is very short, but other than that I got a very pleasant and intriguing ride through a world I want to visit again. Expand
  7. Jan 28, 2014
    I've been playing point and clicks since the early days and love Tim Schafer's work but I was a bit disappointed with this. It's trying so damn hard to be original and quirky that it ends up just being all over the place. The puzzles are too easy and I would prefer there to be multiple ways of acting with objects, rather than just click once and sit back and watch. I think they should have made something a bit more down to earth, something we could identify with a bit. This is just silly really. The art work is gorgeous though. Expand
  8. Feb 9, 2014
    I don't know why but this game isn't showing its value with 3 million dollars of development costs. I'm happy to be a backer of the lower class and didn't pay more than it was needed to get the game. The game is not telling a good or even deep story so far, there's no riddle in this game (even the Riddle of Yorn is not a real riddle) and all the time I get the feeling that I may be not dumb enough to find it challenging. The coming-of-age approach gives me the feeling that it's more like a high school movie story but the settings have been changed so it's not that obvious for the gamer. Seriously: The hints of NPCs are way too obvious, you have about 4 real item-in-inventory combinations, the rest is giving and taking items to / from NPCs and I don't like it if the last answer in a dialogue option is either the exit (which is okay) or the solution (which is not okay). Also the pixel hunting was put to the next level. You have no descriptions of what you're point at, you can't look at, pull, push, pick up or talk to things. No, there's only the developers' pre-defined one or two interactions with the object and that's it.

Some dialogues are even below the belt (if you know what I mean and I wonder if anybody noticed). It is okay if it would fit the graphical style or general humor, but since there's not much of a humor, these jokes are in some way inappropriate. A Brütal Legend could've used one or another joke way better. The animations look so damn cheap, they're sometimes not even smooth. Even a slow-motion scene looked like my GTX 760 couldn't handle it but my graphics card wasn't challenged at any time. Even Prince of Persia (the original blond white version) had smoother character animations. There are no visible facial expressions, I've never seen real fear in the face of a character, even sadness was not a part of it. A face consists of more than just eyes, eyebrows and mouth. It's also questionable why some of the voice actors put so much emphasis in their voice while the facial expression doesn't fit to it at all. It doesn't make sense if someone is yelling but looks like he's talking to me in a normal way. This isn't the 90s, guys.

The only good thing is Peter McConnell. Thank you Peter for delivering such a beautiful soundtrack. That's why I go for 4 points, cos I would've given the game a 2 or 1. Even Telltale Games now offer better adventures for the same price but way deeper story for ADULTS, a majority of original Lucasfilm Games title players.

I can wait for Act 2. I can wait for it forever.
  9. Jan 28, 2014
    Broken Age starts with a question, not a verbal one, but a question none the less. Will you choose the summery sunset land of a girl napping under a tree, or will you choose the world of futuristic blankets with the slumbering boy in space? These are our main characters, Vella and Shay, and Broken Age is their stories. Whoever you choose first doesn’t matter, the player can freely switch between characters at will. Play is similar to most “Point and Click” adventures. You explore your environment’s and touch everything you can get your paws on. Occasionally the character will pocket an item for later use in puzzles.

The puzzles are of varying types. Mostly in the form of using certain items in certain orders or combining certain items together to create an all new item. Other puzzles involve placement, some memory, and riddles. The item combination make logical sense within the game world. However, some could call these puzzles mild, especially if they are “Point and Click” veterans. Do not expect hours of being stumped or puzzles that you will wish for the hint lines of yor. Items collected are typically used in the same area or in a timely manner and if you’re stuck, the characters start hinting at the solution or in some cases blatantly just tell you. Nonetheless, the puzzles are fun and creative; and still instill a sense of pride upon solving.

For all that, the puzzles are not the center of Broken Age, instead they are catalyst’s for the plot, a natural flow in the story. The player quickly becomes very invested in the lives of Vella and Shay. These characters stories relate to each other in more ways then one and it is ideal to alternate play between the two, if you can pull yourself away from one character long enough! Both characters are faced with a great desire to break from the routines they find themselves in. Each seeks to do good in the world while those around them seem to be unable to grasp the concepts of change. Both characters are given the opportunity of change and they both grasp that opportunity by the horns. What results from their rebellious actions is Broken Age.

Over all, is Broken Age a “Point and Click” adventure for the modern age? In this time of casual games, Broken Age sits comfortably among them. Broken Age is not a hair pulling puzzle game, and it’s not trying to be. Instead, what it is, is a beautifully illustrated and animated story with amazing music and voice acting, with enough puzzle variety to get you invested and feeling meaningful to the advancement of the plot. Broken Age would certainly be a good game to use as an introduction to the “Point and Click” adventure genre. Broken Age gave me around four hours of game play, with a possibility of replay in the hopes of catching any small hints now that I know the story of Act One! I look forward to Act Two and the answers it may hold.
  10. Jan 28, 2014
    A spoon in this game has more personality than most AAA games characters.
    Its a gorgeous game, funny lines, great history and 1 big con.
    The puzzles are all super easy. Really, really easy. I think I know why they did it (to appeal to everyone) but it doesn't justify that ALL of them are completely fast and easy to solve. They give too many tips and don't require a lot of thinking.
    That
    is the only problem with the game for me.
    The characters are all great, the art style is amazing and great voice acting. Play it, its awesome.
  11. Jan 28, 2014
    As a backer of Broken Age I have been actively following the game from it creation to now and have actively played through Act One. This Game done by Tim Schafer (co wrote Monkey Island 1 and 2, Wrote Day of Tentacle, Full Throttle and Grim Fandango) and his company Double Fine (Psyconauts, Brutal Legend). He has finally returned to the genre after 15 years.

Let me say this game is
    wonderful. It is really stunningly beautiful and a great two stories to play leaving you to be desperate for Act two. For hardcore adventure gamers they may find it slightly too easy (but no less enjoyable). But I think this was a concious and deliberate act on Tim Schafers part to not frustrate those new to adventure games or those who were turned off by the illogical (how could I have ever sold that) puzzles, that adventure games used to be guilty of.

All in all this needs to be played by all gamers, from those who love their adventure games right through to those who simply like a great story and well written graphical extavaganza.
  12. Jan 30, 2014
    Broken Age was promissing us a reborn of point and click game, but did it really do it? Let's see.

Personally, I'm a big fan of adventure games, and so I know to make a good P&C game, you need a good story and intelligent puzzles.

The story starts very easy, with 2 different characters: Vella, a teenager girl, had the honor of being chosen to be sacrificed to a big monster, that each
    year, will eat chosen girls and save the village. It's a great honor, but strangely, Vella doesen't want to be sacrificed, she rather prefer to kill this monster.

In the other side, we have Shay, a teenager guy who always lived into a mother-spaceship that takes care of him like a little child. But he gets tired of child-play, so, by finding a misterious character, he will make everything to take control of the spaceship.

The puzzles aren't so much hard for most of the time, sure, they don't give you a lot of hints, and most of all, you have to search for items, with no helps of where to click like in the recent Telltale games (they are still great tho'). I still had lot of fun solving them, and feeling of feedback by completing them.

The dialogues are perfect and immersive, really fun to listen and always with an enjoyable voices. After all, we're dealing with Jack Black and Elijah Wood right here.

The soundtrack it's godly, I really love it. Same for the art style, it's something new and refreshing.

The only complaint by me it's the duration of the game itself. It took me only 4 hour to finish it, and I know it's just act 1, but I guess act 2 will be the same 4 hours, so 8 hours of gameplay in all. And usually took me more then 20 hours even to complete some recent adventure games like Black Mirror.

Get this game, 20$ it's a fair price. Support those video game developer, they need to make more games like those.
  13. Jan 28, 2014
    Double Fine have a way of creating games full of heart and soul and this is definitely no exception. Broken age is a joy to play and I found myself totally engrossed in the experience and the world Tim Schafer and crew have created.

The voice acting is top notch, and the world created oozes charm. Yes, some characters may not be 100% evolved, and I wish it could have gone on for longer
    than the 4-5hrs I spent playing. These drawbacks however are only minimal and I would gladly back this game again in a heartbeat.

If you're looking for a charming game filled with great writing, gorgeous art style and impeccable presentation, look no further. You're in for a treat.
  14. Jan 28, 2014
    Broken Age has enchanted me over the past few days as I've become immersed in the rich atmosphere, the thought-provoking story full of epic symbolisms, and the charming and humorous characters. Many have commented on the hand-painted 2.5D animation, and it is indeed stunningly gorgeous, but not many have taken note of something else just as responsible for the beauty of the game: the score. Peter McConnell has created something truly remarkable, a musical weaving of two parallel worlds into one cohesive theme, lacing it with pitch-perfect emotion, wonder, mystery, and soul. The story itself can be seen as a commentary on many aspects of our current world (blind fanaticism on one side, excessive consumerism on the other), and recalls ancient mythology about beasts, human sacrifice, and humanity's search for meaning - all seen through the eyes of youth. It's a thought-provoking adventure for any age, and should be particularly suited to play on an iPad (once it comes out on iOS), and on a retina display it should look fantastic. Tim Schafer and the Double Fine team have managed to rejuvenate the adventure game genre with a fresh and exciting new face, with what is sure to be one of the best games of recent years. I'm relishing Act 1 several times over, and eagerly anticipating the next installment. Expand
  15. Jan 28, 2014
    This is an elegant, understated, and unique experience that is well beyond what my expectations were. The story is the centerpiece, but it is enhanced by unprecedented artwork, a moving orchestral soundtrack, an A-List voice cast, and a humor that is characteristic of the one-and-only Tim Schafer.

The story is as simple and unassuming as it is mature and weighty. Yet, somehow, it's
    frickin' hilarious too. My favorite thing about the story is how you get to know these characters and their motivations leading up to the ending. No spoilers here, but the ending is what sold me on the story. In fact, I think this game works better as two acts because of it.

The art is above reproach. Nathan "Bagel" Stapley's style is unmistakably the star of the show and - WOW - is it a sight to behold! The animations are nuanced and work to support the art style - without taking anything away from it.

The sound and voice acting just completes the feeling of immersion. I love the Lumberjack, particularly - well done, Will Wheaton. With a cast the includes Jack Black and Elijah Wood, though, can you really go wrong?

The puzzles are intuitive, which I think is incredibly important for newcomers: if you've never played an adventure game, this is a great way to cut your teeth. Tim has also made it clear that Act II will be much more difficult, so you'll have a ramp and by the time it's all said and done you'll be a pro.

Any avid gamer needs to experience this game and I would recommend getting it now vs. waiting for Act II. It's at once a nostalgia trip and a glimpse into the future of graphic adventures. Well done, Double Fine!
  16. Jan 29, 2014
    After playing Broken Age for ten hours (finished two times) I can easily say that Act 1 is a masterpiece of art.

The game sets new standards for the visual presentation of adventure games. There are animations all over the screen, like tons of birds in the cloud colony. The cutscenes look fantastic and the overall musical score is monumental.
    All supported by brilliant voice acting
    done by e.g. Jennifer Hale, Eliah Wood and Jack Black.

The two stories (Vella & Shay) seem to stand for themselves but lead to a masterfully written and stunning cliffhanger; keep in mind: Act II will be for free later this year.

The puzzles in Act 1 are pretty easy, though Tim Schafer (designer and writer of the game) already stated Act II will be harder. This reminds me a lot of Full Throttle (another Tim Schafer game) where the first half was also not very hard to master, but the second became a great challange.

I hope Double Fine can live up to the promise, because we would have a great balanced finished game in the end.

But as far as I can tell this is the best piece of adventure I have seen in a long time so far. The loveable, weird characters and the very interesting story of two teenagers trying to grow out of their surroundings make this a special treat for me.

This is (will be) a game that not everyone will be into; It's like it is with all art after all. But if you love a good story being told, well...

the first half is absolutely worth it, already!
  17. Feb 3, 2014
    Buyer beware: There are a lot of fanbois on this forum and giving positive scores here. The game is really not very good. Don't trust the countless 10s here.
  18. Jan 28, 2014
    Need act 2 after the epic [REDACTED] and the [REDACTED] blow my [REDACTED]... The game start a little to easy, and the boy part is a little short (because of story) ...
    But is Great....
    I guess over the last 20+ years i got used hard adventures... well i am not 12 any more :P
  19. Jan 30, 2014
    It's not just that Broken Age's visuals and art-style redefine the way adventures should look. It's not about the easy yet enjoyable puzzles and the quality of the acting. It's about a wonderful setting and some of the sharpest writing since the latest game by Jonas Kyratzes.
  20. Feb 3, 2014
    This game is pretty good. I love the art style, the game itself is pretty easy, BUT the story is just great. I think this is one of the best story game I ever played. The voice actors are really good and you have two main character which I both really like.
  21. Jan 28, 2014
    Absolutely beautiful game. Amazing art and voice acting with a fantastic story. My only complaint would be the simplicity of the puzzles, experienced adventure gamers may find it some what easy, however Act 2 (which comes free with act 1) will build upon the tempo of act 1 and include much more difficult puzzles. I highly recommend this game due to the great immersion and intriguing and compelling story. There is no other game out like it right now. Expand
  22. Jan 29, 2014
    Amazing game with great game play. Most of the puzzles are a little on the simple side. Some do take longer then others but non of them to the point where you feel overly proud of yourself for figuring out. The story is definitely what takes the cake. The ending leaves you on edge in wanting the rest of the game so badly. Good job Tim and the DF group!
  23. Jan 31, 2014
    Very nice point and click adventure game, but it's not living up to the hype. There's about 10 others adventures games released this year who are as good and much less known (principally from Daedalic Entertainment).
  24. Jan 30, 2014
    As a point and click adventure, Broken Age will get mixed reviews depending on who you ask. The story is very enjoyable, with two playable characters each with their own set of unique areas to inhabit. The puzzles tend to err on the easy side, though I say this as someone who has been playing point and click adventures for 20 years... On the forums, there are plenty of people getting stuck.

It took me just under 4 hours to complete Act 1. Assuming that Act 2 will be a similar length, it's safe to say that it is on par with most games of the genre. The puzzle difficulty will obviously be a factor in this, as well as how much time you spend just soaking it all in, and examining every thing.

From an artistic stand point, Broken Age is truly amazing. The art style they used is charming, and utterly unique. The voice acting is spot on as well, with cast of truly talented individuals. The music ties it all together... The cherry on top of a gorgeous sundae.
  25. Jan 28, 2014
    The music, the story and the ending scene are enough to make this game a "Must-Have" for people who love adventure games. And this is only the part 1, part 2 is going to be amazing.
  26. Jan 28, 2014
    Pros: The game is extremely well polished. It really feels like a good old adventure game. Tim Schaefer style humor. The story/theme is actually surprisingly interesting. Cons: The puzzles can be childishly easy. The game is short, but will make up for it in act2. Bonus: The kickstarter documentaries are well done as well and provide insight into the industry but are entertaining as well. Nice bonus. Expand
  27. Jan 28, 2014
    Turned out much better than I expected. Puzzles are much too simple for my taste, though - feels more like one of these interactive (Telltale) movies than one of the original Sierra games, at times.
  28. Jan 28, 2014
    Broken Age (a.k.a., the Double Fine Adventure) just cemented how much I miss adventure games. After years of FPS and RTS (and years of not playing much of anything), playing Broken Age was a breath of fresh air -- the story is great (nicely done Mr. Schafer), the art and effects are the best I have seen in this genera, and the animation and controls feel like I remember (though part of me misses the old talk/use/put control options and the often funny dialog that came from them, these new controls will work much better on tablets). My only downside is that the puzzles were easier than I hoped, which moved me through areas too quickly to enjoy the work that went into them -- I'm confident Act II will beef up the complexity. Expand
  29. Jan 28, 2014
    A great return to classic adventure games with a modern polish! Act 1 of this adventure is truly more art than game. With such whimsical characters and a clever, intruiging story, you'll be sucked into the lives of Shey and Vela's lives and really care for their well-being and success. Voice acting is spot on, with the likes of Jack Black and Elijah Wood. The soundtrack is beautiful and enchanting. The art is the highlight and steals the show. Sometimes it's a little low res when zoomed up close, but other than that this game is great and I can't wait for more. Buying now also includes Act 2 when it is released later this year. At 25 dollars it's steal. Expand
  30. Feb 26, 2014
    Is incredibly short. I finished it in one night, and got to bed early...

I definitely do not feel I got $30 worth of game, YET. I am hoping the "free add on" of Act 2 "later this year" will make me feel better about this purchase.

With that said, and understanding this is a story (well... two stories) being played out in game/puzzle form, this was a wonderful start. The writing, the
    voice acting, the visual style, the musical score for nearly all actions are just plain fun. I was like a little kid again (the story, of course, helped with this immersion). As a 40 something with kids of his own, that has been playing video games since Space Invaders, I do not regret this buy in the least. Even with how short it was, I still feel its lasting effects, and cannot wait for Act 2.

Super fun.
  31. Jan 29, 2014
    The art works is amazing the music is amazing. The story line is very well done. The voice acting is also very well done. The game play is meh ok, only big problems there is that its kinda easy, you also dont want the game to end and since its a 2 part game you kind of leave wanting more. It worth the 25 bucks on steam.
  32. Apr 25, 2014
    This game is very enjoyable to play. It is MUCH simpler than most adventure games, but in a good way. You don't really solve many difficult riddles, but there is enjoyment in the very rough, simplistic, yet very creative and unique art work. The environment and story are enough to keep you engaged. Voice acting and story are great. I also like that I was able to play this on my tablet. If it were a complete game, I would probably give it 8/10. However, only after paying $25 for it and "finishing" it, did I find out it was only half finished, and the rest would only be developed if Act 1 made enough money. Well, it did make more than enough money, but that's not the point. The principle of only delivering half a game is not one I can stand behind. Expand
  33. Jan 29, 2014
    The most cute and adorable point&click adventure game I ever played. Graphics, voice acting and animation is excellent. Good humor, relatively easy puzzles, I got stuck only at one place. The story is interesting. I'll revise my score once Act 2 is out. Definitely worth playing it. (Disclaimer: I'm a backer.)
  34. Apr 8, 2014
    Great art, excellent music, interesting story. Overall, it's a great adventure game, well on par with Machinarium, Botanicula and other similar games. The only downside is, like many such games, it has no gameplay apart from applying random objects from the inventory to interactable portions of the screen (because most of the puzzle solutions wouldn't make sense anyway). Overall, this game feels more like an animated movie or a cartoon, yet a good one. It's fun for a few hours. The girl's story is more interesting than the boy's one. Expand
  35. Feb 4, 2014
    I love the art, story and music and how it entertains me. The length of the game was little bit surprising though.. evil marketing strategy I guess. The story break up is little bit insane... guess they had to do it to steal money from gamers... big minus!
  36. Feb 5, 2014
    Broken Age act I is the first half of a point-and-click adventure game. Overall I really liked this game. It has some of the best storytelling I have seen in a video game of any genre. It also has fantastic art and voice acting. The music and sounds also are very impressive. The overall production values of the game are top notch. The only drawback for me was the difficulty level. It was a little too easy, especially the Shay half of the game. This may be partly because I have played a lot of adventure games, so I have come to expect a certain difficulty level. I think this is a good adventure game for experienced player, and an excellent game for players who are new to the point-and-click adventure genre. Expand
  37. May 12, 2014
    This game delivers a very good content, but it is VERY overpriced (too short for such amount of money). Another games of this genre can offer much more for this price tag (hello,Daedalic). Oh, and one more thing: I've played Shay's storyline at the end and it is completely not interesting, and even repelling. to "play along" the story of "saving creatures", when you got it figured out immediately.
  38. Feb 1, 2014
    Broken Age is lovely, that's all there is to it.

It's not going to be appreciated by everyone because it has an old romantic's soul, it's clinging to the essence of wonderment and not letting go. Some of the best games I've ever played feel like walking through the garden of another's imagination, and Broken Age is just like that. It's never overwhelmingly strange, but it has certain
    qualities of novelty that make it exciting to explore. It wants to show you things that could only exist within the realm of the fantastic, it draws a line between itself and the mundane.

It does this in a way that's humble and utterly charming, avoiding the haughty pretensions that it's so easy to fall prey to when creating such a truly fantastic game. It never blows its own horn, it never brags, and it never explicitly tries to fly over your head (though some of the jokes may be too subtle for a low-brow audience). It just wants to show you things, these bizarre worlds, this story laden with intrigue, and it wants you to wonder. It wants you to remember what it's like to have wonder.

It's a game for the Peter Pan in all of us.

I just felt so inspired by it as I finished it and I was compelled to write. I would have been happy if Act I was the ending of the game and the rest had been left up to the imagination of the player. Yes, there's another act to come to explain the rest of the storyline, but the way the game plays with an twists reality... I just wanted to figure out my own answers to what was going on.

For the record, I think it's a coming of age ceremony for the boy, which has gone horribly wrong because reasons. I won't spoil it, though. I'll let you arrive at your own questions and answers.

This is the kind of game it is, it makes you want to talk about it, write about it.

You'll involve your friends and drill them for their opinions.

Part of the magic of Broken Age is that you'll always completely understand what's going on on the surface, and then you'll realise that there was a mystery brewing that you weren't aware of, and then you don't understand what's going on. It reminds me of the best episodes of sci-fi shows, where when they end you'll call a friend and talk to them about the plot points, and try to figure out where they're going with it next. I wouldn't be surprised if Broken Age creates so, so much fan-fiction.

It's not going to be for everyone. It's perhaps a game for creative introverts.

You'll have adventure game fans who only looked at the mechanical aspects -- they claimed to enjoy those games for the puzzles. I don't understand that, because that was the worst part about those games. The puzzles were always so illogical, and the pixel-hunting? Good grief. The best part for me about those old games was stepping into a world that was so refreshingly different, one that varied between the fantastic and the impossible. These games would be funny, and occasionally even thought-provoking, and they were always showing me new things. I wanted to solve those annoying, illogical puzzles just to see what was down the road.

Broken Age is more straightforward with its puzzles, but only because the puzzles are logical, and there's no hunting for an pixel-wide item or interaction point in a noisy background. That's the sort of thing that killed off adventure game -- it's just not fun.

Broken Age doesn't have those frustrations, but I guess some people want them?

I don't understand those people, I'm not one of them. I adore Broken Age for what it is. It's going to remain in my memory for a long, long time. It's going to be one of those games I'll keep pulling out decades from now to play through it again, just to remember.

Just to remember how fantastic games could be, when imagination isn't restricted.
  39. Feb 1, 2014
    This is not identical to the 90s adventure games. It's work of gentler, more mature author. The whole storytelling and aesthetic is obviously meant to be for all audiences, including children while sneaking in more complex issues such as social norms and the difficulties of parenting. It also plays very gently with its art: one half of the game seems to been drawn in crayon the other animated by shiny puppets. The gameplay is simplified. It reduces the length and to some extend the depth of the gameplay, but also the frustration associated with it. It's different than SCUMM but in some ways more adapted to the current times.

But what is really compelling is the two main characters and their motivations. Unlike in most games or event most stories they have very abstract goals. Their conflict is more about self-actualization and less about solving an external problem. This is a take that is perfectly well suited to the adventure game genre. The story constantly leaves the player in a state of thinking "I'm not sure where this is going, but I want to find out. Just a bit more."

The main draw, though, is how the game is split between two storylines. The idea is that if a player is stuck in one, they can move to the other for a change of scenery. But how are those two characters related? When will they meet? How? Why? Is it even possible for them to meet?

This is only the first half of Broken Age. It seemed unfortunately obvious that it would end either on too big a reveal or too blunt and ending. It turns out that the cliffhanger is worth the entire game. We find out a lot, but are left with even more questions.

My personal hope is that Broken Age turns out to be sufficiently financially rewarding for the genre of adventure games to come back as a legitimate category in gaming.
  40. Jan 30, 2014
    Bon jeu mais on se retrouve parfois bloquer soyer sur de tous regarder !
    Sinon super jeu graphisme magnifique super embiance et surtout super sous-titre en francais des vrai pas du google traduction !!
  41. Feb 1, 2014
    Nice story, I look forward to the next chapter. Great voices, especially the computer/mother. Puzzles a bit 'too easy, it seems to play the easy version of "Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge" Unfortunately, in this game, you can not choose to play the full version with all the puzzles as they did in Monkey Island 2.
  42. Feb 6, 2014
    We really need more games like this one. It takes me back to memories of Syberia or first Monkey Islands. I hope that the act 2 will keep up with the great story that has been presented. Even if I had a doubt whethere whole crowfunding think is ok I can already thank Double Fine for filling the empty space of the adventure games that used to be just like that one :)
  43. Jan 28, 2014
    After the long wait and years of waiting, Broken Age is finally complete. Although perhaps not the wild innovation some were expecting, it seems that without a doubt it was overall worth waiting for.

Broken Age is the traditional point-and-click adventure game refined, polished, and taken to a better form that makes it seem better than any adventure game has in a long time. The art and
    score are both extraordinary, and the voice acting is phenomenal. As usual with Double Fine, the script is witty and original while remaining coherent, and the plot leaves you wanting more at the ultimately climactic cliffhanger ending.

Puzzles are often challenging, but rarely impossible, and, while old-school adventure fans may gripe about the reduced difficulty, they seem to hit a happy medium that should please both adventure fans and gamers trying the genre for the first time. The interface is streamlined and intuitive, and gameplay was highly enjoyable.

All in all, Broken Age is hardly a revolution in gaming, but it is an excellent point and click adventure game that hits all the right marks. It is recommended to fans of the genre and those who are interested in the gameplay concept, or simply in a game with fantastic art, music, plotting, and dialogue.
  44. Jan 28, 2014
    If you like point n' click adventures I can highly recommend this game.

Some old school fans have some qualms, a lot are complaining that it is too easy, which it's not super hard I guess sure, but I personally thought some of the frustratingly difficult hair pulling puzzles of 90's games were effing annoying and not at all conducive to a fun gaming experience, I will say I think they
    are harder than the Telltale games (Which isn't saying much because those are really aimed at being super easy to bring in the broadest audience). It is short, only around 4 hours, but this is just the first half, the second should be released sometime later this year.

But while short, it's a coherent, fun, engrossing story with characters that you really connect to and love even in the few hours you are with them.

The voice acting is incredible and done by an all star cast and the score is magnificent, and the score is fantastic, I didn't really know about Peter McConnell before but I am definitely going to watch his work more closely after this.
  45. Jan 28, 2014
    It's a marvelous trip down memory lane, when adventure games were still thriving... I hope this is a financial success so it reignites the whole genre! We need more adventures! More Monkey Island! On that note, Act 1 alone is a bit short and for experienced gamers through in 3 hours. But there's Act 2 coming soon, and everyone who buys Act 1 now gets Act 2 for free! My highest, warmest recommendations for this game, and may the genre be revived. Expand
  46. Jan 29, 2014
    Broken Age delivers what every adventure gamer wants, right down to collectable "Chum".
    Delivering a beautiful game both nostalgic and accessible to modern or young gamers.
    Such exploration. Much point and click. Wow.
  47. Jan 29, 2014
    Not many games these days attract my attention for very long. Sure there are fancy graphics, immersive gameplay and even sometimes compelling stories. But they all seem to me somewhat artificial. I can no longer suspend my disbelief and get immersed in most game’s story. Not so with Broken Age. The authenticity of artwork, music and animation, the well polished game engine, and the uncompromising vision of the game’s creator, Tim Shafer, all of these things have blended together to create a truly remarkable and pretty unforgettable gaming experience. Sure, Act 1 was a tad short, and the puzzles sometimes relatively easy. But there is more to come, and I cannot wait! Expand
  48. Jan 29, 2014
    Fantastic game that is a great first experience to adventure games or a welcome return for fans. The first act definitely teases how awesome the second act will be and is a ton of fun to play through. The worlds and art is incredible and unique. The score is on par with films and very well done. Loved the game and can't wait till act 2!
  49. Jan 29, 2014
    Wonderful return of the genre! A beautiful way to spend two evenings! You play through a beautiful world (two worlds, actually!) accompanied by beautiful music an stunning voice acting. The game is full of atmosphere. Play it with your friends! Play it with your wife! Play it with your husband! Play it with your kids!
  50. Jan 30, 2014
    I backed this from the outset and tracked its development throughout, and while there were parts I thought made me question what would happen when it released, but it is infinitely charming in its execution.
  51. May 3, 2014
    Remember when you played Myst, RIven, Monkey Island, or Grim Fandango? Remember the weeks and weeks of exciting puzzles to solve, and rich story and plot? Broken Age isn't even 1/100th of that. For $25 the game takes about 3 hours to solve. The artwork is fantastic, but the story and game are terrible. Don't waste your money like I did. Big disappointment.
  52. Jun 5, 2014
    [BROKEN AGE SteamPC Score 10] Adventure Gamers come forth and kneel at the altar of Tim…. O’Tim…. Hallowed be thy name…. Enjoy the Goodness of Point and Click…. and not just on Fridays but everyday until you complete Act 1…. Digital Rain hath soaked me to the bone and I smile wrapped in it’s benevolence. Add to cart { : o) >

[I am a Backer] and this was everything I expected. O’Tim, We
    beseech thee to Repeat as many times as possible.

[The Art] of Point and Click has been Elevated to Olympian status and We know that you will Advance this form to a whole new level…. What about a First Person Adventure in 3D? What about a First Person Adventure with Platforming mixed with Stealth? What about an Adventure Game with Ketchup in the Frogger Idiom? How about a Prequel visiting Black Mesa to build a Roadster with Titanium Pipes and 72 inch Back Tire? How about a University Course called Typing Hero where onscreen instructions are cued to music to teach how to type internet slang? or even a title called The Adventure Game Whisperer where wannabe programmers Intern at Double Fine and have to work their way up to the boss’ office through clues encoded in Dodecahedron Rubik’s cubes - with a new wireless controller for XBOX ONE, PS4, and PC shaped like…. (wait for it) …. a Rubik’s cube ! And then the Boss fight is a hi-res version of Grim Fandango but the puzzles are backwards…. and the first player to Finish with a Perfect Score receives an Honorary PhT (Philosophy O’Tim).

[MyPC 2011] i7-2600K 3.4GHz / ASUS Z68 ProGen3 / 8G RAM / Radeon 6870 / W7 PRO SP1 / Samsung 275T @1920x1200 / Logitech G15 / Kensington ExpertMouse / Sennheiser HD 600

[NowPlaying] BrokenAge [MyFavorites] [Win7] TombRaider Dishonored TheKnifeOfDunwall TheBrigmoreWitches TheDreamMachine Ep1-4 30FlightsOfLoving Fez BioshockInfinite Antichamber Stacking Metro2033 Rochard Crysis&Warhead&2 JustCause2 Rage [XP] Papo&Yo DeuxExHR&TheMissingLink DeadSpace1&2 Fallout3&NewVegas HalfLife1&2 Bordelands1&2 BatmanArkumAsylum AssassinsCreed Magicka RedFaction Portal1&2 FromDust MrRobot Sam&MaxSeasons1&2 CulpaInnata TheSecretOfMonkeyIsland DreamfallTheLongestJourney Syberia1&2 CrayonPhysicsDeluxe DefenseGridTheAwakening PlantsVsZombies Prototype Bioshock1&2 UnrealTournament3 Quake4 [360] AfroSamurai BrutalLegends [XBOX] HALO KOTOR1&2 Crackdown ArmedAndDangerous AggressiveInline BeyondGoodAndEvil DeadOrAlive1&2&3&ExtremeBeachVolleyball Psychonauts [AppleG4] FullThrottle DeusExMachina ONI ReturnToZork Suspended UnrealTournament TombRaiderSeries [Born 1964 I do not know anybody who works in the game industry ~ I just enjoy games : - ]
  53. Feb 23, 2014
    A sensational return to form for Tim Schafer and his Double Fine crew. Broken Age is everything you'd expect from these folks when it comes to adventure games and you could almost believe that the Golden Age of point 'n' click adventures never ended. Almost.
  54. Jul 1, 2014
    Broken Age relies on its unique art-style, modernised adventure game interface, and likeable (but still somewhat dark!) story and characters to be so great. I'm so glad this was Kickstarted. Only one Act is out so far, and it's not especially long, but that doesn't matter when the quality is as high as this game. Admittedly, I needed to use a walkthrough at a few small points (moreso to find where an item is than to solve any of the puzzles, which are all fairly reasonable). Expand
  55. Jul 5, 2014
    Gorgeous artwork, fantastic story, great dialogue/voiceover talent, and awesome music. Are the puzzles too easy? Yes. Does it matter? No, not when a game has this much personality. Looking forward to act 2!
  56. Apr 11, 2014
    I had been watching the development with the backer posts and my excitement was nearly palpable. Upon release I fired it up as quick as I could and felt engulfed in a spectacularly detailed game. The level of detail spent on this game feels so rare (which is likely a result of publisher deadlines), the voice acting, the environment, the art... I was sad to have completed it so quickly.

I won't pine about how 'syntax guessing' adventure games are no more, Broken Age won't revive that style for you. Say what you will but this game received far more exposure to a wider demographic as a result, and I'm okay with that.

My major gripe comes down to puzzles... Broken Age never gave me an "Aha!" moment. In the documentary Schafer even stated, in some fashion, that you need those moments in adventure games. You could argue that the aforementioned 'demographic reach' was the reason for this as well, but learning curves exist in most every video game. I'm hopeful that Act 2 cranks up in difficulty to reward at least one moment of Eureka!.

In the end - you owe it to yourself to pick this game up. It's an adventure game for a modern time when you can feel a developer pour hard work, time, and love of their craft into every tiny detail.
  57. Jan 28, 2014
    Absolutely fantastic: the art is mesmerizing, the soundtrack is phenomenal and the story is intriguing. All-in-all an amazing, amazing game. Congratulations to the Double Fine team!
  58. Feb 3, 2014
    First of all, i like this kind of games. second i really like voice acting, art style, scene... and much more this is what a so called game should be and i'm proud of it. Thanks Double Fine for this fantastic experience. Cheers for the next act.
  59. Feb 3, 2014
    Great art style and humor, truly feels like a Tim Schafer game. The puzzles are a little bit on the easy side, but still very much enjoyable. If you like adventure games you should play this.
  60. Mar 22, 2014
    Lovely, just lovely, pure experience of true adventure game, i wish there could be more games like this, i highly recommend this to anyone who liked Grim Fandango or Monkey Island, great job!
  61. May 29, 2014
    Disclaimer: I am a Kickstarter backer of this project.
    This game is not for everyone - it's a point and click adventure that is sadly a little too easy but compensates with great voice acting and wonderful art style. I wish the dialog trees were a little more fleshed out in some areas to reflect your progress in the game. Being a fan of the genre, I really liked this game and I'm
    looking forward to the next act. Expand
  62. Jul 23, 2014
    First time reviewer here, but as a backer for the Kickstarter campaign for this, I am very upset with Double Fine with this "game." Over 3 Million bucks and this is what they have to show for it? "Broken Age Act 1" is not what I expected from Double Fine.

The story, I'll admit is cute, maybe even good. But it's also only half of a story, so I can't even give a full judgment on the
    story. The cliffhanger also doesn't help. It would help if the game was fun. Well, for me it really wasn't. I kept wanting for it to get better, then it was over before ever getting there! I love a good point & click adventure, and I've been there since the time "The 7th Guest" and "Myst" were released, so I'm no stranger to the genre. Considering new games in the genre that have popped up lately (especially "The Walking Dead" series) I was hoping for at least some of these elements to come through amidst the old-school style gameplaly. Well, that didn't happen. This is literally a re-skin of "Dark Seed," a 20+ year old point & click game. Double Fine did nothing at all to add some new perspectives/ideas/game mechanics whatsoever. It's just "Dark Seed" with a G-rating, except not as interesting, and only half-of-a-game.

While the art style is pretty, I excepted that 3 million bucks would bring more beauty, more movement, and animation to the visual style. We don't even get that. The music, however, is beautiful and I have nothing that I can say that could possibly be bad about the soundtrack. Truly master quality music.

Extras? Well, if you count that 8-hour documentary that you can download (which is about 3 times longer than the "game" itself) the I guess that's something. But even that documentary is fully of ego. Of the 8 hours of documentary, about 85-90% is comprised of closeups of Tim Schafer's face. Not even exaggerating. The first shot in the documentary is insulting to unhappy donators as well. Even though the money is fake that they're throwing around on him, it pisses me off that it reminds me that this was a Kickstarter campaign that made 3 million+.

Shame on me for donating $100. I really thought that considering Double Fine's past, that they would make a masterpiece of a point & click adventure that would give us something different from the crowd of games out there. And shame on you, Double Fine, for making this unimpressive half-of-a-game. You won't find me backing your projects anymore until you make good games again (if even then). It seems like you spent $80,000 building the actual game; $300,000 on a 8-hour documentary to stroke Tim Schafer's own ego; and pocketed the remaining millions. This is a 4 out of 10. And that's because I'm only giving credit to some of the assets that were good.
  63. Jul 29, 2014
    This is a beautiful, artistic game. The point of the game is not really enjoy the playing, but the experience. the puzzles are too easy, but every puzzle has an implicit reflection, a meditated impression that Tim Schafer wants to print on anyone of the players. I am really waiting for the second act.

1. Apr 14, 2014
    A game that will resonate with you and make you nostalgic for something that you might not even remember forgetting.
    We expected Tim Schafer to deliver the unique and we weren't wrong. Broken Age stands on the threshold of a classic adventure and a tablet game while retaining a lot of soul. [Issue #239]
  3. Mar 9, 2014
    Well written and charming but Broken Age plays it too safe to be particularly memorable. [Apr 2014, p.67]