7.2

1. May 3, 2015
    This is NOT a bad game, in fact it's one of the best graphic adventures I've played recently. The problem here is that it is not the groundbreaking masterpiece fans of Grim Fandango and other old glories were waiting for.
    It is funny, witty, entertaining and hard enough for newcomers to the genre (a little bit too much on the easy side for veterans, especially the first half). Puzzles are fun and well done (especially near the end of the game). The score and the art are amazing, the game is trurly a joy to look at and listen to. Voice acting is excellent and the game features people like Jack Black, Will Wheaton and Elijah Wood.
    However, there are flaws. Some characters are a little "glossed over". They come and go very quickly in Act 1 and when they return in Act 2, you basically won't talk to them after the first dialogue. The character played by Jack Black is the best example: funny, interesting and full of potential "wasted" in 2 dialogues and 1 puzzle. Despite the development time, the game offers a little selection of settings (screens) compared to the average old G.A. (what you see in Act 1 is basically what you'll get in Act 2 along with a handful of new locations). Also, the ending feels rushed and generic. I was truly disappointed by it because it sort of gives closure to everything in the lazyest way possible (you'll see) and abrupts the game in a point where I was excited to see what was coming next (again, you'll see).
    I won't mention backtracking as a flaw because it is inevitable in some sort of way in a G.A. I think it is only more evident here because of the restricted number of screens.
    For the record: I am not a backer, but I've watched the Making of documentary on Youtube. I know what Double Fine has been through while making this game, but that is not an excuse for its shortcomings.

I give Broken Age an 8/10 that would have been a 7.5/10 if it weren't for the art and the music.

PROS
    + Art style
    + Voice acting
    + Orchestral score
    + Puzzles are hard enough for newcomers to the genre
    + Classic Tim Schafer dialogues

CONS
    - Puzzles are fairly easy for veterans of the genre
    - Some NPCs could have been used more
    - Very few screens
    - The ending feels generic and rushed
  2. May 4, 2015
    Broken Age
    Great world, not so great game.
    Broken age is split up into 2 acts and 2 perspectives On one side you play as vella A spunky girl about to be honorably sacrificed by her village to a monster called mog chothra, but you have other plans Your sacrifice turns into a hunt to take the monster down. On the other side you play as shay A boy with over protective spaceship
    Broken Age
    Great world, not so great game.
    Broken age is split up into 2 acts and 2 perspectives
    On one side you play as vella
    Your sacrifice turns into a hunt to take the monster down.
    On the other side you play as shay
    A boy with over protective spaceship parents.
    Their goal is to keep you protected, but you come to realize that comfort and safety requires a sacrifice of itself, freedom.
    Shay repeats the same cycle day after day until hes fed up with it, ready to grow up.
    During the first act of the game you meet dozens of unique and charming characters.
    The characters and dialog are easily the highlight of this game, and the worlds seem almost magic and mysterious, sadly though the story, world, and characters are all this game really has to offer, and if im being completely honest.. I didn’t find the ultimate ending of act 2 to be worth the journey.
    Act 1 ends with a great cliff hanger, from that point forward I kind of fell out of love with the game and the adventure it was taking me on.
    Broken age is a very unique experience in the sense that it doesn’t really feel like you are in control, broken age feels in control.
    This is more of an interactive story than a game.
    When it comes down to it, you don’t do much in broken age but figure out ways to get around the obstacles thrown at you.
    Like other point and click adventure games, this done by listening to dialog and combining items, nothing really all too tricky.
    Broken age took me a little over 7 hours to see and do everything there is, and there are tons of cute and clever interactions to be found, but there is no reason to replay it, you have no control over the outcome, you have no influence in dialog, this game is really just, talk to everyone you see until the dialog options are exhausted and then find someone else to do this again, and then trade them what they want for what you want, nothing more.
    The second half of the game felt grindy to me and much less charming as no new characters are really introduced, while I did love the characters, I didn’t love them enough to want to keep seeing them over and over.
    Puzzles do get more challenging and clever here, but nothing that will have you searching guides for clues, all puzzles you can easily figure out on your own.
    I’m not the greatest with point and click games, but still found broken age to be a very casual and hilarious experience.
    This is some of the best writing I’ve ever seen in a game, I just wish there was more game here, something that required my input.
    Maybe point and clicks aren’t my thing, because oddly enough I still found this to be one of the best point and click games I’ve ever played, the pacing is really perfect.
    For what it is
    Point and Click Action Adventure: 8/10
    Overall: 7/10
  3. May 18, 2015
    What is this game?!: A point and click adventure game with two protagonists that you switch between and solve puzzles and meet quirky characters!!
    Pros:
    -Great writing and voice acting -Beautiful graphical style -The logic is zany but only mildly so making the puzzles much more...well, logical but still fantastical. Cons -Recycled areas between act 1 and 2 start to make the world
    Pros:
    -Great writing and voice acting
    -Beautiful graphical style

Cons
    -Recycled areas between act 1 and 2 start to make the world feel stale as you get towards the end.
    -I myself wasn't a fan of the end/story and that's all I'll say about that/
    -There are some frustrating puzzles that make checking walkthroughs very tempting. I'm thinking of you wire puzzles!

Conclusion: It's a game I wanted to like a lot but ended up getting tired of and at times frustrated with. Yet I still do like it.
  4. May 15, 2015
    I can wholeheartedly recommend this game. It's gorgeous, it has a nice story beginning to end, the characters are likeable, and the music and voice acting is excellent.

I'm pretty okay at adventure games, but not the best. I've played quite some (among my favourite are Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max Hit the Road, Machinarium and Book of Unwritten Tales), and I'm familiar with the general way of how adventure game puzzles are structured. The puzzles ranged from simple to challenging, but I never found them dull or illogical. I reached for a walkthrough once, and when I read the solution to that puzzle, I immediately realized where I had forgotten to connect the dots. I had disregarded some comment by one of the characters as irrelevant and forgotten about it, but it turned out to be relevant after all. That's something that happens to me a lot more in adventure games, and I'm fine with that. Never have I thought "Well how was I supposed to come up with that?". As is common in adventure games, sometimes you do think "Why can't I just solve it this way? That would be way easier!" or "Surely that other character has the necessary qualifications to solve this issue for me". But obviously, if it were way easier, or you would let someone else fix things for you, you wouldn't have a puzzle to solve, now would you? :).

There are some puzzles where Vella or Shay will give a hint when you do it wrong a few times. Sometimes I thought they were a bit soon with that, I would have preferred to muddle along a bit more without any hints.

The characters often have funny things to say, and I've laughed out loud on many occasions. I have properly enjoyed myself playing the game, and I found the end satisfying. Sometimes a game is very nice while you play, but they botch up something at the end that leaves you unsatisfied even though you enjoyed it right up to the end. Luckily, this is not the case here. Oh, on that subject: the pictures surrounding the ending credits give a sort of epilogue to the story, so even if you usually click through the credits, you might not want to do that for this game.

It runs fine on my Linux machine, which is nice, because I only boot Windows for games that don't run or don't run well natively on Linux. But I could use my preferred OS just fine.

I could only find one problem with the game, related to clicking on objects in a scene. It turns out I need a lot of explanation to make clear what the problem is; so here goes.

When you try to use an object from your inventory on an object in the scene, the object in the scene is highlighted. However, when you simply hover your cursor on an object in the scene, it's not highlighted. The cursor does indicate you can click, but the thing you're clicking on is not indicated. This can get confusing when you're trying to determine if something is clickable or not; whether it's background or a usable object. Say there's a person in the scene, and a space ship control panel next to that person. When I hover over the control panel, the cursor indicates I can click. But when I click, it becomes clear I've chosen to interact with the person. This can be confusing: is it indeed the case I can't click the control panel, or was I clicking too close to the person? After several clicks which initiate talking to the person, I'm concluding the control panel is part of the background scene. This can be annoying, because knowing what you can interact with is very important in a point-and-click adventure. Note that there is no pixel hunting in this game; it's not as bad as that. Everything you can interact with has a decent size, it's just that not everything that has a decent size can be interacted with :).

I'm surprised by the amount of negative publicity around this game. These negative reviews are the main reason for me to write this review, because I think they paint a wrong picture of the game and might put off people who would love the game. So I'll admit I might be somewhat biased in my review, although I'm really doing my best not to be. But I feel a lot of the negativity and bashing is also not because of the actual game itself but because of other things surrounding it. People seem to be actively looking for things to fault the game for because there is something else they don't like for some reason or the other. Whether that be consciously or unconsciously.

This game might not be your thing, and that's okay. But I find it very hard to find fault with the quality of this game. If you think this could be your thing, don't be disheartened by the negative reviews. It would be such a shame if you decided not to buy this game because of those, and missed out on the great joy you would have had playing it!

1. May 27, 2015
    Upon completion it does feel pretty much worth the effort, although even then it is still a little bit confused and there are unanswered questions.
  2. For some reason, we believe that if Tim Schafer will launch another Kickstarter project, he’ll describe is as “from creators of Secret of Monkey Island, Full Throttle and Grim Fandango”, while Broken Age (if it’ll even get mentioned) will be placed somewhere at the end of the list. And it has nothing to do with chronological order. [June 2015, p.82]
  3. May 13, 2015
    Playing through Broken Age brings the player back in time, to the good old graphic adventure days. Double Fine made us wait probably too long, but the final result is a game that you shouldn't miss if you love this kind of videogame.