8.6

1. Jan 1, 2014
    I feel obligated to leave a review for this game, As it seems to receive almost universal pandering too by magazine critics, If your looking for a game with a deep and meaningful story this is most definitely not for you.

If you like meaningless melodramatic nonsense with tired cliches and Sims babble for speech, intersected with terrible UN-challenging puzzle mechanics reminiscent of
    1990s side scrolling adventure games, Guess its visually quite pretty though. And that appears to be enough to get everyone creaming over it. Expand
  2. Oct 30, 2013
    The reason this game deserves a three is due in part to its excellence: I've so much enjoyed playing through it that i absolutely want more!

In its current state however, you can easily pummel through the whole thing in about 3 hours!!!
    I find that to be very dumb and as a matter of fact the developers' lack of dedication.
    They've had a great idea, only to waste it in such a short,
    needle-length episode.

I'm really glad I got it through a discount on Steam, otherwise I'd downgrade to even a 2.
    So there.
  3. Dec 11, 2013
    They game was beautifully made. Contrary to popular opinion on this site, I don't think the game had much of a story. The 'puzzles' are not really muzzles, but more of mechanical gimmickries, and they do not challenge your mind at all. If you play on PC, the controls can be very frustrating, and in certain parts where you have to control both brothers at the same time, for example to push a control bar, the key combinations that give you certain movements simply make no logical sense.
    $15 for 3 hours of game play that has virtually no story telling value or challenge is not worth it. Go out to movie theatre and watch a movie or go out and grab a nice dinner or something with that money.
  4. Feb 2, 2014
    Internet, we've gotta have a talk about this game. Yes, beautiful graphics. Absolutely gorgeous graphics. But the linear gameplay, the boring repetitive "puzzles," the forced/melodramatic story, the flat, sim-like characters, etc. manage to suck all the life out of this thing. I seriously almost ragequit the final cutscene. Just showing characters grieving again and again != emotional depth or storytelling. Expand
  5. Jun 4, 2014
    Overall Rating: D+ Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a fairly original game where you control two brothers simultaneously, one with each joystick on your controller. Given its incredibly high Metacritic rating and uniqueness, one would think this would be a good game. Sadly, it is not. Story The story of this game is supposed to be one of its big draws. It is, essentially, the quintessential sad story. The brothers' mother drowns, their father gets sick, and it falls to the two of them to go through the world, overcoming challenges to get the cure for him. The story, as it were, is very sparse; there's a few moments where the brothers help out each other, such as the big brother diving in to help the younger one throughout one level, and then at the end of the game, when the big brother gets hurt, it is the little brother's turn to help out.
    It ends with the older brother dying just before the cure gets to him, the brother returning home with the cure for his father, and them kneeling before the mother's and brother's graves.
    The characters all speak in simlish, and ultimately communicate via gestures. Unfortunately, the net effect of this was to make me not care about them at all; I understood their personalities to some extent, but I never connected to them as people, and thus I didn't ever really care about them. Indeed, the very nature of the game - using the two brothers as pieces to solve the puzzles - really divorced me from caring about them.

Gameplay

This game is interesting by being simultaneously innovative and mediocre. The underlying idea behind the game is clever - you control two characters and you have to use them to overcome various puzzles and challenges. There are times when you have to be moving both characters around at the same time, and times when one character stands there and holds a lever down (or just waits) for the other brother to do stuff.
    The game is at its best when you need to use both brothers at once to do stuff, but unfortunately, while the gameplay mechanic sounds really neat, it actually gets pretty old after a while; most of the puzzles are fundamentally fairly similar, and while you do various actions, none of the puzzles are particularly difficult or challenging. It generally is very obvious what you are supposed to do, which sounds like a good thing until you realize that it means that the game is more or less leading you by the nose throughout its length. There's only a few points at which the mechanics are all that interesting; for much of the rest of the game, after the beginning, you're more or less repeating yourself, with the odd new puzzle added in.
    The game did do something fairly clever at the end, though; after the older brother dies, the younger brother is left on his own. Throughout the rest of the game, the younger brother has been afraid of swimming, having to cling to his older brother for support when in the water. At the very end of the game, he is faced with no choice but to swim, and the controller vibrates as you push up to the edge of the water; only by using the older brother's action button can you swim across it. You also have to summon his strength again to pull down a lever which previously only he could move.
    Unfortunately, while this was clever, it wasn't very deep, and that's the trouble with the whole game - it is very shallow.

Graphics

The graphics of the game are okay but not amazing; the characters are all cartoony, but they aren't quite high polygon enough to really look as good as they should. There are some moments in the game where things are very pretty looking, but on the whole, it isn't nearly so nice looking.

Final Summary

Brothers has an interesting central mechanic, but unfortunately the overall game is very shallow. It is pretty short - clocking in at about 4 hours in length for 100% completion, less if you don't explore all the areas fully - but even in that time it gets repetitive. It is not worth your time.
  6. Sep 9, 2014
    This game left a bad taste in my mouth, sadly.

It started out great. The music on the title screen was superb and the graphics were beautiful. The environments throughout the first half of the game were awe-inspiring. The aspect of controlling both brothers at once was annoying at times but not too bothersome. I'm still not a fan of that aspect overall, though.

At first, I thought
    "wow, this will be a great game for my nephew, he will love this" until it suddenly turned teen rated (maybe even mature) halfway through, which was unnecessary. Still, I was really enjoying the exploration/journey, it felt so magical. However, the last 1/4 of the game ruined it for me. There was no climax, which I was expecting. I imagined this massive tree that would eventually appear in some grand valley, etc. but that was not the case. The ending just came out of nowhere and was very dull. I did not like the overly dramatic seriousness of it. I actually quit the game out of frustration due to a glitch during the very last cinematic and never went back to watch it again.

Very disappointing.
  7. May 22, 2014
    Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a culmination of the gameplay-free game trend. The only real obstacle between you and your destination is the unruly control scheme (which adds nothing to the game, as controlling a single character at a time and switching between them would let you do all the things you need to do without all the confusion), as almost all of the "puzzles" have immediately obvious solutions (normally the only thing that looks like it can be interacted with). The lack of characterization renders the later portions of the game, which I'm sure were meant to be emotional and hard-hitting, laughable; the fact that the characters express themselves using a made-up language does not help either. The only good thing about the game are the graphics, which are quite pretty indeed, although they do suffer from asset-reuse: I have come across 5 identical broken ladders throughout the game. Expand
  8. Mar 18, 2014
    I would give this game a 7 or an 8 but it has some fatal flaws which cannot be excused. In terms of positives, it is a unique approach to gameplay having to control the two characters at the same time and there are patches late into the game where you can start to feel a rhythm to it and you don't have to concentrate so hard on what you are doing and that feeling is rewarding. Overall though, the game itself doesn't feel that rewarding. The puzzles are fairly simple and the execution of them similarly so. What it does have is a fantastic mysterious atmosphere which is maintained by the surreal backdrops and the absence of understandable dialogue. However, to me the game felt a little bit rushed and I am justified by Steam in that claim as it tells me I have 4 hours in the game and that is having completed it once through. So the ending which is supposed to be touching and emotional doesn't quite hit home as I've barely gotten to know the two brothers. It seemed to me like the developers couldn't wait to get to the ending of the game and so the middle feels a little lacking. Where the game really falls down though is in some massive bugs which completely halted the game for me to the point where I had to google the solution to a puzzle only to find out I was doing it right but the game was broken. This was a common problem across forums and happened in two separate parts of the game requiring me to restart and redo some of the level. In a game so short these major flaws are hard to look past. There was also a third issue where I had to switch from using a controller to the keyboard even though the game had a warning saying that it required a controller to play. The reason I had to switch was because a part of the game was literally impossible using an Xbox 360 controller. Again I wasted so much time trying to figure out how to beat the puzzle only to find out I was doing it right but the game wouldn't let me progress. As well as that of course, I had to relearn how to control the game with the keyboard just so I could get past that part of the game, talk about shattering the immersion. So overall, it's a quaint little concept but it was extremely poorly executed and for a game which took around 4 hours to beat including time wasted due to bugs, it's hard to forgive such major issues. Expand

1. Oct 31, 2013
    Brothers, unlike many recent indie hits, is very down to earth. It is not rife with intellectual puzzles like Braid, it is not as open to interpretations as Journey. It just makes you think about simple human values.
  2. Oct 24, 2013
    A gorgeous world, bursting with personality. Great storytelling makes up for the short length and unchallenging puzzles.
  3. Oct 11, 2013
    Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a true marriage of gameplay and narrative, and it is frankly a complete triumph.