8.6

1. Sep 3, 2013
    Great storyline, it speaks to me like no other game I've played so far. Really connects the player to the game and makes you feel something special all thru every second of it! Love
  2. Sep 27, 2013
    I recently wrapped up a 2 hour playthrough of Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. I give the developers full credit for creating some astonishingly beautiful art, which truly enables the fairy tale world of the game to come to life. I was swept away by breathtaking vistas of misty valleys and snow-capped mountains, as well as some of the most gorgeous water effects I've ever seen in a video game.

That being said, I didn't find any other aspect of this title to be particularly noteworthy or enjoyable. The puzzles are extremely simplistic and I was never, even for a moment, at loss as to how to proceed. This simplicity might lead one to think that this might be a good game for kids, but the grim tone and surprisingly gruesome middle section quickly put that idea to rest.

I question the decision to implement a made up "language" for the characters to use to express themselves. I think it badly detracts from the seriousness of the story. I would have preferred either no dialog at all (pantomime would probably have been sufficient) or some concise dialog/narration in a real language. Perhaps something written in a fairy tale style would have fit the mood of the game perfectly.

Finally, I have to take major issue with the ending. I think the developers were going for grand operatic tragedy, but because of the complete lack of characterization things fall completely flat. The shrill and melodramatic music that underscores "big" moments makes the lack of true drama all the more obvious and jarring.

I'm sure many people will enjoy Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, but based on my own taste in games and art I don't find anything to recommend here.
  3. Sep 3, 2013
    This game is a gem. i didn't expect to like it so much. The story and ending are simply amazing. I recommend this game to anyone who likes a good adventure. The game is only 3 hours long and there is not too much of a challenge but overall it's an awesome experience. i enjoyed this more than any of these recent blockbuster games. Yes it's that good. 9/10
  4. Sep 4, 2013
    Great, though short game. This game is probably for those age 12 and 15, though the emotional story is powerful and would appeal to adults as well. My concern is that the price point is too high for a game of this length (about three hours), and its appeal to an English audience and keyboard users. Though I selected the English tab on startup I did not see any subtitles, nor hear any English being spoken. You don't really need any spoken dialogue to follow the story, which is a lot like the non-sanitized German children's stories I heard/read growing up. Again well written/designed game. Expand
  5. Sep 5, 2013
    I don't give 10's... except for this game. Yeah it really is that good. The story is amazing and after about 5-10 minutes it's difficult to put it down. There is no dialogue just some gibberish being spoken between the characters. Every character you meet in this game is amazingly thought out and the story just keeps driving you forward. A new experience in multitasking trying to control both brothers at once, and it's great. Expand
  6. Sep 2, 2014
    A breath of fresh air in indie game dev and gaming overall. Interesting story and deep connection to the characters, through beautiful art style and simplicity of play. A must play game...
  7. Sep 5, 2013
    this game is like smack on the face to many other AAA big games. control is simple gameplay is simple, but it offers a great experience. (-1 for not much replay value) visual and the story just draws your emotion right from the start till the end. this is not a main stream game but if you like the journey on PS3 this is a game for you. plus gamepad is highly recommended. since at first i used keyboard to play but seems a little glitchy, switch to a gamepad then everything works prefectly fine. good jobs on the developer you just earn a fan Expand
  8. Jan 1, 2014
    I feel obligated to leave a review for this game, As it seems to receive almost universal pandering too by magazine critics, If your looking for a game with a deep and meaningful story this is most definitely not for you.

If you like meaningless melodramatic nonsense with tired cliches and Sims babble for speech, intersected with terrible UN-challenging puzzle mechanics reminiscent of
    1990s side scrolling adventure games, Guess its visually quite pretty though. And that appears to be enough to get everyone creaming over it. Expand
  9. Oct 22, 2013
    I had read reviews saying that this game had a great emotional story. And although the end tries to be very emotional it fails to deliver thanks to some plot holes and a somewhat forced drama.
    But the great problem with this game is the controls. Not only is using two tumbsticks to control tow different characters, doing two different things, somewhat awkward but the use of the triggers
    for action makes it very tiring and painful to play for more than an hour.
    The game has a couple of interesting puzzles, but nothing really inspiring. They are just there and end up being more of a chore, than a challenge.
    By the time I was finishing the game, I could only think about the awkward controls, the pain on my fingers and the plot holes, to even care about the drama.
  10. Dec 11, 2013
    They game was beautifully made. Contrary to popular opinion on this site, I don't think the game had much of a story. The 'puzzles' are not really muzzles, but more of mechanical gimmickries, and they do not challenge your mind at all. If you play on PC, the controls can be very frustrating, and in certain parts where you have to control both brothers at the same time, for example to push a control bar, the key combinations that give you certain movements simply make no logical sense.
    $15 for 3 hours of game play that has virtually no story telling value or challenge is not worth it. Go out to movie theatre and watch a movie or go out and grab a nice dinner or something with that money.
  11. Sep 26, 2013
    A classic through and through. Hard to fault this game to be honest and wholly justifies it's high praise. Started and finished in one sitting just shy of 4 hours (I paced myself as I didn't want it it end). Will I play it again? Probably not for a few years at least. Even with that in mind, I highly recommend anyone give this a bash as it's worth your money and your time. Enjoy.
  12. Oct 22, 2013
    For such a short indie game this a very good game and experience and a must buy for a Steam sale. The only con is of course its length as the game is very short but maybe with its great success it will be expanded upon.
  13. ndr
    Oct 6, 2013
    This is one of the best games I ever played. The story is incredible, the mechanics are so easy to learn but sometimes tricky to master. Graphics and music is awesome!

Truly amazing!
  14. Sep 24, 2013
    one of the best games of this year set in a fantasy world from the beginning it socked me into its world with its outstanding visuals amazing music and fantastic storyline support the developers and get this game it's definitely one of the best games of this year
  15. Oct 19, 2013
    The game is beautiful but thats about it. Story almost doesn't exist since you don't get told much. You basically go around the world solving puzzles and do some platforming, it gets kinda boring after a while. Oh and the controller is mandatory (not that I mind).
  16. Sep 9, 2013
    This is one of the few games you can truly call "art". The way the story is portrayed, the way characters are developed (even without any! comprehensible dialogue) and the way the game pulls you into the story is simply marvelous.

This game is a must play for any gamer worth his salt.
  17. Oct 30, 2013
    The reason this game deserves a three is due in part to its excellence: I've so much enjoyed playing through it that i absolutely want more!

In its current state however, you can easily pummel through the whole thing in about 3 hours!!!
    I find that to be very dumb and as a matter of fact the developers' lack of dedication.
    They've had a great idea, only to waste it in such a short,
    needle-length episode.

I'm really glad I got it through a discount on Steam, otherwise I'd downgrade to even a 2.
    So there.
  18. Nov 9, 2013
    A game that everyone should play. It's gaming at its finest. Gameplay and story intertwined to give one of the best gaming experiences ever without even saying a word.

A controller is highly recommended.
  19. Sep 29, 2013
    Just finished this hauntingly beautiful game. I only have one major problem with it; the female characters. There are three female characters you interact with throughout the game. One is dead, and the other two you have to rescue. And it gets worse by the end. Read a book about basic feminism or watch Anita Sarkeesian's videos on how women are portrayed in games for your next game. Otherwise it was a great game. Expand
  20. Feb 2, 2014
    Internet, we've gotta have a talk about this game. Yes, beautiful graphics. Absolutely gorgeous graphics. But the linear gameplay, the boring repetitive "puzzles," the forced/melodramatic story, the flat, sim-like characters, etc. manage to suck all the life out of this thing. I seriously almost ragequit the final cutscene. Just showing characters grieving again and again != emotional depth or storytelling. Expand
  21. Jun 4, 2014
    Overall Rating: D+ Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a fairly original game where you control two brothers simultaneously, one with each joystick on your controller. Given its incredibly high Metacritic rating and uniqueness, one would think this would be a good game. Sadly, it is not. Story The story of this game is supposed to be one of its big draws. It is, essentially, the quintessential sad story. The brothers' mother drowns, their father gets sick, and it falls to the two of them to go through the world, overcoming challenges to get the cure for him. The story, as it were, is very sparse; there's a few moments where the brothers help out each other, such as the big brother diving in to help the younger one throughout one level, and then at the end of the game, when the big brother gets hurt, it is the little brother's turn to help out.
    It ends with the older brother dying just before the cure gets to him, the brother returning home with the cure for his father, and them kneeling before the mother's and brother's graves.
    The characters all speak in simlish, and ultimately communicate via gestures. Unfortunately, the net effect of this was to make me not care about them at all; I understood their personalities to some extent, but I never connected to them as people, and thus I didn't ever really care about them. Indeed, the very nature of the game - using the two brothers as pieces to solve the puzzles - really divorced me from caring about them.

Gameplay

This game is interesting by being simultaneously innovative and mediocre. The underlying idea behind the game is clever - you control two characters and you have to use them to overcome various puzzles and challenges. There are times when you have to be moving both characters around at the same time, and times when one character stands there and holds a lever down (or just waits) for the other brother to do stuff.
    The game is at its best when you need to use both brothers at once to do stuff, but unfortunately, while the gameplay mechanic sounds really neat, it actually gets pretty old after a while; most of the puzzles are fundamentally fairly similar, and while you do various actions, none of the puzzles are particularly difficult or challenging. It generally is very obvious what you are supposed to do, which sounds like a good thing until you realize that it means that the game is more or less leading you by the nose throughout its length. There's only a few points at which the mechanics are all that interesting; for much of the rest of the game, after the beginning, you're more or less repeating yourself, with the odd new puzzle added in.
    The game did do something fairly clever at the end, though; after the older brother dies, the younger brother is left on his own. Throughout the rest of the game, the younger brother has been afraid of swimming, having to cling to his older brother for support when in the water. At the very end of the game, he is faced with no choice but to swim, and the controller vibrates as you push up to the edge of the water; only by using the older brother's action button can you swim across it. You also have to summon his strength again to pull down a lever which previously only he could move.
    Unfortunately, while this was clever, it wasn't very deep, and that's the trouble with the whole game - it is very shallow.

Graphics

The graphics of the game are okay but not amazing; the characters are all cartoony, but they aren't quite high polygon enough to really look as good as they should. There are some moments in the game where things are very pretty looking, but on the whole, it isn't nearly so nice looking.

Final Summary

Brothers has an interesting central mechanic, but unfortunately the overall game is very shallow. It is pretty short - clocking in at about 4 hours in length for 100% completion, less if you don't explore all the areas fully - but even in that time it gets repetitive. It is not worth your time.
  22. Sep 28, 2013
    I loved it, the game conveys a powerful story without saying a word in any actual language, go play it f you haven't already, there's nothing quite like it out there
  23. Sep 9, 2014
    This game left a bad taste in my mouth, sadly.

It started out great. The music on the title screen was superb and the graphics were beautiful. The environments throughout the first half of the game were awe-inspiring. The aspect of controlling both brothers at once was annoying at times but not too bothersome. I'm still not a fan of that aspect overall, though.

At first, I thought
    "wow, this will be a great game for my nephew, he will love this" until it suddenly turned teen rated (maybe even mature) halfway through, which was unnecessary. Still, I was really enjoying the exploration/journey, it felt so magical. However, the last 1/4 of the game ruined it for me. There was no climax, which I was expecting. I imagined this massive tree that would eventually appear in some grand valley, etc. but that was not the case. The ending just came out of nowhere and was very dull. I did not like the overly dramatic seriousness of it. I actually quit the game out of frustration due to a glitch during the very last cinematic and never went back to watch it again.

Very disappointing.
  24. Jan 5, 2014
    Artistic masterpiece. Some may not like the game being "easy"... but, it's an incredible ride. Most fun I've had in a videogame in a long time. I found myself seeking cliches and game mechanics of other games... and gladly I wasn't satiated. This is a very unique experience, and the art direction, atmosphere... all of it. Wow! I'd love to play a sequel. Also, the voice acting (although a different language) and music is very well done. Expand
  25. Oct 2, 2013
    A game like no other.
    That is a statement I can say and be true with this game, having to control two characters is a breath of fresh air and provides some great unique moments.
    The journey this game takes you on is pretty fantastic, its lasts about 3 hours and is really well paced with no parts that will bore you. The game is mainly summed up of puzzles which will require you to use the
    characters at the same time in order to progress which is pretty daunting at first and takes a little time to get used to but once you do its really fun.

The game is also rather pretty, with some great vista's. To be honest its hard to talk about this game without spoiling the experience, its a game you need to play yourself and for the price you should. If you liked to play something different, you should play this.
  26. Oct 30, 2013
    Easily one of the most beautiful and innovative games I've ever played!
    A fantasy adventure like none I've played before with stunning visuals and a fantastic sound track.

You have to play that.
  27. Nov 2, 2013
    The game is interesting, sure. The concept of controlling 2 characters at once has come up in a handful of games on Kongregate already and hasn't become boring yet. The story is great as well. I especially liked that everything is told without a single word the animators have done a great job. The locations are filled with details and small objects. Music is great. The whole theme of the game is very positive, even educational. The negative sides are: 1) you can't customize the keys! This is just plain carelessness of the developers and is unforgivable. On my laptop the arrow keys are small, so my Up key is actually on the same level as the right Ctrl and I had to keep the right hand awkwardly positioned, with the elbow shifted left, touching my belly. Playing the game was physically uncomfortable. I'd remap the keys to use the keypad for controlling the small brother. 2) there is not much actually gameplay since the only thing you can do is to press "action" keys in some places. There are no actual puzzle to solve, there is not much to do. It's more of an interactive cartoon than a game since you can't do much except running and watching animations. 3) the graphics are pretty dated and low poly, somewhere on the level of 2003 games. I give this game a 6 for the interesting concept but frankly I dropped this game after 20 mins due to boredom and painful controls. Expand
  28. Oct 4, 2013
    This is the most unique game I have ever played, I would say the best game as well and I have been playing quite hardcore the past decade. The environment is amazing and the camera work also, things rarely repeat itself as they tend to do in many other games, and the emotional roller-coaster this game delivers is outstanding, I have never EVER cried to a video-game before, and very rarely to movies. But I burst out in tears like a little girl, wow just wow. I'm blown away from this game.

Best 12€ I ever spent on a video game, top class Starbreeze, top class!
  29. Oct 5, 2013
    This game is amazing! Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons touch my heart.Great controller and combination, suberb art-style and amazing soundtrack.I love it.Best adventure-puzzle game of 2013.must play.
  30. Jan 29, 2014
    "Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons" is a journey through fable-like world that focuses on inducing variety of emotions. The environment is very scenic, often having you traveling high up and admiring beautiful landscapes. It's inhabited with trolls, giants, griffins and other mythical creatures. Everywhere you go there's always something nice to look at. The camera's position often emphasizes the best fragments of a scene. It's not photo-real, but definitely eye pleasing and charming.

You control both brothers at once - left hand for the older one, right hand for the younger. Many puzzles rely on syncing them well together. For me that was something new. Personally I had to keep them on the left&right sides of the screen in accordance with the control scheme. Whenever they switched positions due to my running around, my brain just went out of whack and chaos followed. I had to slow down and reposition them to be able to continue comfortably.

The puzzles themselves are fairly easy. Some variants are recycled throughout the game. There is no greater planning involved and you solve many as you go. There is also no backtracking, so even if you're not sure how to tackle a specific problem, in most cases solution would present itself after simply going a little further. I feel that puzzles are just meant to be a way of reinforcing the bond between brothers and making player more attached through gameplay. Most of them require both protagonists working at the same time or in a longer alternating sequence.

The reception of the story differs from person to person. Many people got their hopes up by other reviews/opinions and were disappointed. Others were ecstatic. For me the general experience is above average, that's for sure. Also the ending squeezed a tear out of me or two, so the narration trough gameplay mostly did it's job. But I didn't experience strong emotional response from the beginning to the end like some. Still I find the whole journey enjoyable and well worth my time.

The game is pretty linear. No choices to be made, no events that can be prevented or played out differently. Apart from the main task that the boys are focused on, you can interact with many objects or NPCs and observe separate animations for each brother. Those do not affect anything, but make the world feel more alive and characters more fleshed out. All the inhabitants communicate in a made up gibberish sounding language, so the gestures and body language are especially important.

The whole world might look like it's fable-like, but in reality it's quite harsh. Brutal and cruel at times even. Good things happen, then bad things happen. You save someone, someone will die as a direct result of helping you (or even a worse scenario). One has the impression that no good deed goes unpunished. Sometimes you won't be able to help - you'll just witness the effects of a tragedy that already took place. You meet both friendly NPCs, and mean or outright ill willed & hostile ones. Although there are very few moments in the whole game that actually pose any danger (story wise, not from manually letting go a ledge or other mechanics associated deaths).

Completing the game takes about 3-4 hours, even when interacting with every possible object/person. So it's quite short. There is no need to replay it, other than experiencing the exact same story again if you really were swept away by it. If you have a chance to grab it on a sale - I wouldn't hesitate, fully recommended. At full price, I would say it's not for everyone. Definitely for people that can appreciate the emotional content and enjoy the journey aspect without making fuss about easy difficulty, length or minor issues - basically, recommended for informed customers :)

Subjective Assessment - 7.5 (more than nice, not yet great)
    [utilizing full 1-10 scale, where 5 means average]
  31. Sep 5, 2013
    This game was very good, great visuals, good story and unique interesting game play. I really did not expect to be impressed with this one and was rather skeptical of the 'single player co-op controlling 2 characters at once, but it was done very well and imo it was great to see something new and innovative in a game like this, it offered many new challenges and ways to deal with them. all around great game, check it out you wont be let down. The only downside was the length was rather short only taking approx 3 hours to finish. but still well worth it Expand
  32. Oct 27, 2013
    Graphically, this is the most beautiful game I have ever played. The music is also beautiful. I was disappointed with how the story turned out but despite that, the game absolutely amazed me.
  33. Sep 18, 2013
    An outstanding little game. It has fairly basic puzzle gameplay and somewhat questionable controls, but the graphics, setting and emotionally impacting story more than makes up for it. A fantastic and meaningful adventure that is recommended to all.
  34. Sep 30, 2013
    A must have! If you only play it to try the unique control system and see the beautifully rendered scenery, then so be it. It's also pretty challenging at times and very addicting. I personally had some problems with the storyline...but it didn't take away from my game experience. No other game has provided the sensations I had while playing Brothers. I'm usually the type of player that likes only the challenge of a game, but with this one I found myself stopping to look at the scenery many times. In fact, not just stopping, staring and saying whaaaaat?!?! This game covers the gamut of emotions and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good game. Expand
  35. Oct 10, 2013
    Although someone might find the length of this game to be too short to pay about 14 i would still believe this is a game that is definitely worth it. When you compare it to what it would cost you to buy a movie which might last half the time you'll spend on this game it isn't really that expensive.
    The story, the soundtrack, the art and the puzzles will give you an unforgettable
    experience.
    -The puzzles aren't all that challenging, but they are still very entertaining and innovative. I feel this is a good choice since hard and frustrating puzzles would make it harder to enjoy the story and the world that surrounds you.
  36. Nov 17, 2013
    This is a game that lives up to its scores and then some. It has to be experienced, 'nuff said. To add one other thing, however, this was the first game in quite a while that truly stopped me in my tracks, pulled me in directions and left me speechless; reliving my adventures and the memories of beloved characters, the game resonated long following its conclusion.
  37. Nov 1, 2013
    Absolutely Amazing! This right here, is how you do story telling games! Incredible art in this game, the visuals will blow you away. It is like you are walking through a watercolor painting. The soundtrack is truly enchanting at times as well.

This game can be beat in a few hours I highly recommend you play this and allow yourself to take it all in at once, much like a cinematic
    experience. The ending of this game left me gasping "Wow, Holy wow! Absolutely Incredible". This instantly goes down as one of my all time favorite visual media experiences.

This is an unforgettable adventure you should undertake!

copy and pasted from my steam profile
  38. Nov 10, 2013
    Long time did not play a game so interesting. One of the best games I've played. Exciting, engaging, control characters fantastic. I recommend to those who really like adventure games.
    I am very demanding games, and this game has exceeded all my expectations.

Português-Portuguese
    Faz muito tempo que não jogo um jogo tão interessante. Um dos melhores jogos que joguei. Empolgante,
    envolvente, controle de personagens fantástico. Recomendo a quem realmente gosta de jogos de aventura.
    Eu sou muito exigente para jogos, e esse jogo superou todas as minhas expectativas.
  39. Nov 13, 2013
    This is one of the most beautiful masterpieces ever created. The way you control each of the Brothers and how you solve puzzles had me glued for every hour. The side"quests" like saving the Baby Turtles that most people would miss really made me feel like the developers really wanted you to stop an view every small detail at every corner to see if there was some small "Quest" or cut-scene to view. I highly recommend this game. Expand
  40. Aug 18, 2014
    Can't say I enjoyed the game gameplay wise. Too repetitive and automated. The story is Ghibli-grade but the lack of voice acting and dull environments(great ideas, just not enough color and detail) killed it for me.
  41. Jul 29, 2014
    I played this game without knowing much about it. I bought it on a steam sale and didn't play it until month later, convinced it probably wasn't that special. I was wrong. At first it seemed to be exactly what I expected: a simple little puzzle game with an original mechanic/gimmick (controlling two characters at the same time). Nice graphics, fun little puzzles, but nothing extraordinary. The longer I played the more it struck me how great the game looked though, with lots of different areas, from meadows to caves to the remains of war to frozen villages and beautiful lakes again. Also the puzzles kept varying constantly, so it never got repetitive. However, the best part about the game is the story. It starts with a very simple plot: save sick dad by traveling to some distant place to get a cure. Perfect little plot for a little game, I figured. For a long time it didn't seem to be any more than that, but the game has a big trick up it's sleeve and it's innocent appearance is part of it. Expand
  42. Nov 1, 2013
    The gameplay is very simple, and a bit of a novelty, but play to the end and you'll understand the artistry of it. Keyboard controls work, but was designed and works best with a gamepad. It's a much darker game than I was expecting, but one filled with stunning beauty and a bit of humor too. My one complaint is that I wish it were longer. It's a short but bittersweet fantsy-adventure-puzzle game that will probably haunt you. Well worth the small price if you're not someone totally averse to a bit of melancholy. A warning: if you've ever lost someone close to you, there's probably something in this game that will be an emotional trigger. Expand
  43. Jan 17, 2014
    One of the most moving and atmospherical games I ever played. The completely new game mechanics is another achievement which puts this game on a level above a lot of other games and lets it win a spot in my heart forever. Buy!
  44. Jan 31, 2014
    Not difficult at all. You just roll through all the "puzzles" if you can even call them puzzles, its so linear you just keep going one direction til you reach a new point and press one button to do an action (Pull a lever, push your brother up a cliff so he can throw a rope down to the big one) which gets repeated so many times. The story was pretty good for how short it was, If the game was more than move forward and press a button I'd enjoy it a lot more even the 'boss' fights that's pretty much all you did besides run around a little. Expand
  45. May 22, 2014
    Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a culmination of the gameplay-free game trend. The only real obstacle between you and your destination is the unruly control scheme (which adds nothing to the game, as controlling a single character at a time and switching between them would let you do all the things you need to do without all the confusion), as almost all of the "puzzles" have immediately obvious solutions (normally the only thing that looks like it can be interacted with). The lack of characterization renders the later portions of the game, which I'm sure were meant to be emotional and hard-hitting, laughable; the fact that the characters express themselves using a made-up language does not help either. The only good thing about the game are the graphics, which are quite pretty indeed, although they do suffer from asset-reuse: I have come across 5 identical broken ladders throughout the game. Expand
  46. Oct 25, 2013
    about 4 and a half awesome hours of amazing feelings,atmospheric world,great gameplay and amazing soundtracks. a real great experience that i never seen before and the two brothers are both awesome especially the younger one.
    i gotta say this is the BEST adventure game i've ever played i'll give it a 9.5 coz i really wanted the game to last longer.
    i guess this game deserves to be
    nominated for GOTY Expand
  47. Dec 31, 2013
    Brothers tries its hardest to be a dramatic story, but the characterization falls flat. The puzzles are incredibly simple and the mechanics rarely deliver the "brotherhood" experience. For must puzzles, you end up controlling each character separately: move Nanya here, move Nanyi there, activate, finish. An ice-climbers style platforming section is the highlight of the game by far, as its the only moment where the game takes advantage of the unique gameplay style.

Otherwise, the game treats the two characters with independently, which flies in the face of the supposed meaning of the game. Why create this odd control style and never deliver unique mechanics? The game plays like a million other puzzle platformers, which is a shame considering the potential.

The ending has a great mechanics-as-metaphor moment, and it feels like the entire game was a setup for that one well-done moment. That said, it's incredibly predictable and intensely cloying. It's a short game as well: my playthrough clocked in at about two hours.

Overall, it has a few memorable moments, but the whole experience feels amateur. It's as if the team saw the success of Journey and Bastion and decided, "Yeah, let's do a game like that."
  48. Nov 23, 2013
    I would be happy to recommend this game, but with a couple of caveats. It is beautiful to look at, really nice use of the Unreal engine, the story line is nice (not perhaps operatic or deep, but nice with some emotional tug), and once you start, you will wish to see it end. Just keep in mind that the controls can be fiddly from time to time, and the puzzles are easy and obvious.

I think
    what stops me from giving it the 8-10 mark is that we're introduced to some beautiful ideas and lands in at least three chapters, but we pass through them and they're gone, with no note or interest in telling us more about these lands. This game could have been a much much bigger one if they had to budget to expand on each land, and then progress to the next. Take a note out of The Walking Dead series, and maybe do it as chapters if there's a Brothers 2. For me, the end felt rushed to, I wanted to find out much more about the earlier levels to complete the world story. And the make-up language limited them in giving the sons (plus parents) any decent backstory, I'm not sure it was a great idea, but I compliment them in trying.

All that aside, it is a very fine game, worth playing, short enough, and once you get the keyboard mapping good for your two hands, you'll have an enjoyable experience.
  49. Jul 31, 2014
    The game has a beautiful art style, some interesting side characters, decent music, inventive mechanics and some powerful emotional moments.
    But it feels like they missed an opportunity to make a game that could have been so much more. I wanted to know more about the world and its inhabitants, more puzzles with some challenge (all too easy), more mechanics, some actual dialogue (or some
    written notes, books, history, etc.) , some more side quests. and just MORE of everything. The game is only 3 hours long and very linear. That's the real shame here: there are plenty of bad games that I want to stop or end but this feels like a good game that had only just begun... Expand
  50. May 29, 2014
    Innovative game-play and controls scheme, beautiful environments and artistic style, touching story, interesting spatial puzzles ... quite short (less than 5 hours) but I still highly recommend it to everybody willing to try something non-standard and different.
  51. Aug 7, 2014
    This is a truly Powerful Adventure Story Driven Game. It is a Masterpiece it deeply affected me Art Style is Gorgeous, The Narrative is Powerful, and the Gameplay is Unique. If you haven't played this your doing yourself an INJUSTICE I hope they make sequel to continue the Story I want more of this and I wish we had more games like this.
  52. Oct 10, 2013
    a little hidden gem in the world of videogames, a title that can be considered a true artwork, a masterpiece that can thrill you from start to finish. A plot that can keep you glued to the game for the duration of the story, although this is quite short, but given the quality of the game this is the only fault I could find...
  53. Jul 23, 2014
    It every sense of the word this is a piece of art. Great music, story and beautiful locations. While at times the puzzles and game play is either repetitive and tedious well worth it for the overall experience.
  54. Mar 18, 2014
    I would give this game a 7 or an 8 but it has some fatal flaws which cannot be excused. In terms of positives, it is a unique approach to gameplay having to control the two characters at the same time and there are patches late into the game where you can start to feel a rhythm to it and you don't have to concentrate so hard on what you are doing and that feeling is rewarding. Overall though, the game itself doesn't feel that rewarding. The puzzles are fairly simple and the execution of them similarly so. What it does have is a fantastic mysterious atmosphere which is maintained by the surreal backdrops and the absence of understandable dialogue. However, to me the game felt a little bit rushed and I am justified by Steam in that claim as it tells me I have 4 hours in the game and that is having completed it once through. So the ending which is supposed to be touching and emotional doesn't quite hit home as I've barely gotten to know the two brothers. It seemed to me like the developers couldn't wait to get to the ending of the game and so the middle feels a little lacking. Where the game really falls down though is in some massive bugs which completely halted the game for me to the point where I had to google the solution to a puzzle only to find out I was doing it right but the game was broken. This was a common problem across forums and happened in two separate parts of the game requiring me to restart and redo some of the level. In a game so short these major flaws are hard to look past. There was also a third issue where I had to switch from using a controller to the keyboard even though the game had a warning saying that it required a controller to play. The reason I had to switch was because a part of the game was literally impossible using an Xbox 360 controller. Again I wasted so much time trying to figure out how to beat the puzzle only to find out I was doing it right but the game wouldn't let me progress. As well as that of course, I had to relearn how to control the game with the keyboard just so I could get past that part of the game, talk about shattering the immersion. So overall, it's a quaint little concept but it was extremely poorly executed and for a game which took around 4 hours to beat including time wasted due to bugs, it's hard to forgive such major issues. Expand
  55. Jul 25, 2014
    Everything about this game is made to perfection, or at least close to perfection.
    The sounds are great, the aesthetics are great, the use of the control is amazing.
    The characters represent emotion perfectly.

have to say though, the gameplay is potentially boring.
  56. Jan 16, 2014
    The game is fun, no question about that. I even bought an X-Box Controller just for this, as my old PS2 controller wouldnt work. But whatever, I'm not gonna rate the game on this.

It is, however, pretty much overhyped, I think. The ending was just awesome, but most of the game before that didn't feel that special. Just a plain adventure, not much better than other games. Had some
    highlights, yes.

I think, I never really got into it or I had to big expectations with everyone saying "Best Game 2013".

Still enjoyable, but don't expect the best game ever.
  57. Sep 10, 2013
    This game is awesome. It's well made, there are a lot of cool puzzles for two characters, picture and environment changes often, so you will never get boring. And YES, you must control two characters simultaneously. That's not the greatest part of this game, but there are no other options for such gameplay. Unlike platformers like Lara Croft tGoL some of local puzzles are so bind to exactly two characters, so you can't understand how you never before had a game with such a great things. My god, I love this game. Suddenly this is one of the best games in this year. Expand
  58. Sep 13, 2013
    Game perfect at all cases. Visual, gameplay, story, interesting along a whole game, perfect ending, not too long, without serious bugs. I think this game "must play" for all gamers, especially if you have a brother or sister game will be much more sensual and sentimental (I was near crying at the end).
    For the last ten or more years computer game has awakened sentimental feelings in me!
  59. Mar 27, 2014
    OMG the game is not that good. It is very sort and the puzzles are pretty simple to solve. The story is a basic tragedy that does not make it great.

Pro: Fun controlling two characters with one controller, beautiful and interesting landscape.

Cons: You lose even if you win (AKA chick flick story line) puzzles are easy to solve (makes Lego games' puzzles feel complex), very short
    game with very limited replay-ability.

What the game is worth to feel good about the purchase $3. Wait for the steam 75% off sale.
  60. Jan 8, 2014
    Seriously? Gameplay is the only unique property of games, so when you wright a review you should consider it. And gameplay in Brothers is primitive and repetitive. It doesn't give player a challenge in any way other than if you want to sneeze when characters hanging on cliff you must resist the urge to cover mouth with your hand. How this game get so many 10/10 is beyond me.
  61. Sep 8, 2013
    Brothers almost the only modern game that can pass without getting any achievements. There is no open world, side quests, leveling characters, gathering equipment and weapons, difficulty levels and other things that we used to see in other current-gen titles. In this case, A Tale of Two Sons an interactive story in the best sense of the word. The story that will not give away from the game until the screen will not run the final credits. Expand
  62. Sep 14, 2013
    One of the best games i bought for the PC. Its worth every penny. This game is really adventurous. I love the graphics. The storyline is extravaganza. It creates love between me and this game. Its a must try for all PC gamers who love playing adventure games.
  63. Sep 23, 2013
    A hidden gem, absolutely outstanding in all aspects. It tests reflexes, puzzle solving, and how well you can hold your emotions. The visuals are great, the sound immerses you, overall just amazing. The game is short, but since I've replayed it twice I can say the price is justified.
  64. Sep 22, 2013
    Simply, one of the best games I've played in my life and one which I'll be playing in the incoming years. It's beautiful, it's charming, it's funny, it's sad and it's an adventure. I would love to continue playing with the brothers in this fantastic world at least once more. I don't think it'll be a second part, but if it happens it'll be a first day buy for me.
  65. Sep 25, 2013
    1 2 братьев.
    Уверяю 300 игры.

Более сайте.

Так
  66. Oct 23, 2013
    First review for a game i have ever written and that is because this game is amazing
    i finished it in one sitting and i have to say even though it is a short game it is still one of the best i have ever played
    the gameplay is brilliant and the story is heart-wrenching
    its such a beutifull game when i first played it i had no idea how grim it would get later on yet it still retained its beuty
  67. Oct 31, 2013
    One of the most memorable and enjoyable game I've played in years. A great combination of controller innovation, dialogue-less story line, and characters that you actually care about.
  68. Nov 10, 2013
    So....I'm here on Metacritic for the very first time and I'm writing a review because this game deserves it. It really does. I'm going to be quick, this clearly isn't a triple A game, it's something more. The particular thing here is how the gamer became the bond between the two brothers, not merely the one who moves them. Because of this, the connection between the game and the person who plays it became strong, really strong. And at last, well...this connection will be the cause of your ultimate depression.
    This game is something beautiful that will break your heart in many little pieces, but this is how real life is too: you will experience sorrow and joy with the two brothers in a way that isn't common today with videogames.

Definitely worth buying,
  69. Nov 26, 2013
    I am an old school gamer and I have pretty much seen it all and am pretty much bored with 90% of the games out there.
    Most games of these days simply don't have it and I was absolutely amazed with this game.
    This game is something new and refreshing and brings story telling and gaming experience to the next level. The music the story the execution is simply perfect.
    To everyone who
    worked on creating this game, /bow and thank you so much for this beautiful game. Expand
  70. Dec 1, 2013
    I finished the game today and I for one feel like it was a game that would be better adapted for the movies or films. There was drama that some didn't realize., but it was there. This is a game however and it needs to offer more. There is little to no replay value. The game was linear and wayyyy toooo short. If I hadn't got it for a few bucks I would of seriously wanted a return.

The
    graphics, the audio(save for voice overs), and the gameplay were decent if not great, but it just was never meant to be a game; a movie or film, YES!

FYI parents...there is some extremely violent material in the middle; be forewarned.
  71. Jan 11, 2014
    So glad I brought this, aside from being a little sort this game is perfect. I have blonde hair and have an older brother with brown hair so immediately i felt connected to the brothers. Gameplay is very fun, essentially a single player co-op adventure taking the two brothers on an epic and memorable adventure . Story is brilliant as well, this and the Walking Dead Game are the only two games that have got me teary-eyed. Expand
  72. Feb 11, 2014
    It's a game that relies on you operating with both hands to move both brothers. It is otherwise a rather linear game that is meant to tell a story while you perform puzzles. The puzzles can be frustrating at times, but they aren't that difficult to deal with and beating the game will only take you about five hours. I would not suggest this game to anyone who focuses only on gameplay and always skips cutscenes, but it is a great game to unwind on for a relaxing time. It uses stunning art and an engrossing story to draw the player in, and it was a great time overall. It does lack in replayability however. It relies more on the overall story and the experience than actual gameplay, so while being fun, it has the replayability of a book. I beat the game twice for fun, but I probably won't play it for another year when I feel like picking it up in a year. Expand
  73. Feb 15, 2014
    absolutlley amazing. my game of the year. great graphics,graet gameplay and decent storyline make this one a total winner for the best game of the year
  74. Feb 13, 2014
    Best Game Of 2013. Nevermind that, this is the best game of all time. Forget Half Life 2, forget Bioshock or forget GTA V. This game knows how to play with your emotions. Never once a game made me to wish if we could change a part of the game. Never once a piece of Media ever made me drop manly tears from my eyes. This game could do it. This is more than a game. This is a piece of art.
  75. Aug 24, 2014
    Very short (as expected) even if playing very slowly. It is a deep adventure full of feelings, it is a poem. I am not really familiar with the nordic culture, but it is a wonderful adventure worth to be played more than one time (achievements are also not easy to find, and no description will be given). Stunning scenery, wonderful graphics, and it looks amazing in 3D if you like 3D. 90/100
  76. Dec 15, 2013
    First use an xbox controller to play this game as I don't think it would be possible using the mouse and keyboard. Using the controller is very smooth and makes you really think to control what is going on.

Second this game is not hard; but it is amazingly creative, wonderfully beautiful, and just incredibly done. It is so outside the norm that it really should be experienced by
    all.

Third there is no comprehendable dialog in the game and no direction provided, you just have to logically figure things out. This is a huge part of what made this game great.

It only took me three hours to get through the game, but for the price it was absolutely perfect (just enough to really impress, yet not too much to drag on or get repetitive). This really is a studio to watch if they can maintain this level of creativity & quality.
  77. Jan 21, 2014
    Hands down one of the best indie titles I've played. Beautiful, engaging and emotional game with interesting puzzles a gameplay. It creates a unique and fascinating world, moves you, and keeps you entertained the whole way through.
  78. Dec 17, 2013
    I've been gaming for 25+ years and I rate this as one of my top 5 games ever. The combination of great graphics, excellent story and engaging puzzles makes for an amazing experience. A MUST play!
  79. Jan 4, 2014
    Stunning game. If you are the type who doesn't care for character focused drama, this may not be for you. This game is brief, but epic. I am almost at the end and it has been a powerful journey. Without words, a powerful story is shared. Joyous moments seem to end in tragedy. Dark moments are tinged with humor. The young brothers casually walk through horror, showing extreme maturity at the same time as youthful playfulness.

A very memorable game and a serious bargain, even with the short playing time, when it goes on sale on the various digital download platforms.

The controls felt unique. It took a little time to get used to controlling one character per analog stick. While the puzzles were far from complex, the novelty of the controls and the depth of the story made it all enjoyable to me.

If you are the type who wants to feel smarter than everyone else, this game could also provide you a chance to proudly rant that the game is overrated, blah, blah, blah. You all know the type. On a more earnest note, if you don't care for emotional drama, this game might be boring for you.
  80. Jan 18, 2014
    Absolutely amazing game. Beautiful landscapes and graphics, touching story, great characterization.

One of the best games I have played for a few years.
  81. Oct 15, 2013
    This was quite an adventure with some emotional heart string pulling that is rare in games, or at least ones I've played. Each brother has a different personality along with strengths and weaknesses. So they compliment each other as you guide them on their journey. The graphics are great, with an artistic flair that's very unique. The musical ambiance fits well without being too overpowering.

I'd say the experience is worth $10-15. I wouldn't go further for the simple reason that it is quite short. If you take your time and enjoy a view now and then, you should manage about 4 hours. Those are a great 4 hours but still rather short by most standards.

I came across one glitch near the end but managed to eventually get through it. I think it had to do with path finding of the younger brother in the water.

All in all, a nice experience for a Sat Sunday afternoon.
  82. Jul 7, 2014
    Just finished it. It was an amazing journey. Loved the level design, puzzles but the overall heart of it. The art is beautiful, environments are beautiful. Controls can be awkward at time but playing with a controller might help.
  83. Oct 3, 2013
    At first glance, this seemed like one of those "meh to okay" ranged games to me, but it's much more than that. The controls and puzzles are very clever, the atmosphere and story of the game holds up beautifully, especially when there's very limited dialogue not something that every game can pull off. I wouldn't say the game is mindblowing, but I'd still recommend every type of gamer to try it.
  84. Oct 8, 2013
    So much unreal hype in these reviews. I was glad to have read them before playing, as I was braced for how bad it must be. I was first struck by how dated the Unreal engine is. They did very well with what they had, but you can only dress up fake 3D with low-res 200x graphics so much. For a while, I thought my PC either turned into a Wii, or I was playing a World of Warcraft mod. The story's tone is flat-out bipolar, rapidly switching from suicide to whimsical hang-gliding within the span of a few minutes. The characters are shallow, cliche, and poorly set-up, like the character designers spent all their time in the office playing ping pong, with NPCs' most memorable interaction with the player being the direction they point. Most puzzles are offensively obvious, while the few others rely on moon logic. The main character is simply unlikable (along with almost every other NPC you "interact" with), a bother to society and a burden on anyone unfortunate enough to interact with him. He has absurd fears which slow the game down, much to the users' frustration. "Bosses" all seem ripped from other games, whether an invisible monster drawing an eye-roll, or the stupid lug who indirectly kills himself by running into walls. The controls are ridiculously confusing and frustrating without a gamepad, trying to move multiple characters at once it clearly wasn't ported properly.

Then, just before the end of the game, 505 suddenly reveals it was all intentional. Every frustration I felt, all the shortcomings I thought the game had, suddenly make sense as storytelling mechanics. My defenses were down as I realized what an idiot I am, and then they go right for the heart with the most powerful emotional experience I've ever had in gaming. Absolutely unforgettable.
  85. Sep 14, 2013
    Brothers is an adult fairy tale masked as a video game. That being said, it is an EXCELLENT fairy tale with truly original game play with platform mechanics. The art design is top notch. What's even more compelling is that the story is laid out to the play with zero dialogue either written or heard. Everything from plot to game play is communicated through flawless level design, and humorous and ingenious charades by in-game characters.

The style of game play should me mentioned, of course. Each brother is controlled (a controller is a must) by a thumb-stick. It is a challenge for a few minutes, but becomes surprisingly intuitive quickly. What could be gimmicky is actually a truly original concept executed flawlessly.

Get this game!!!
  86. Sep 12, 2014
    A Tale of Two Sons is a video game as art and music. The puzzles are easy and short, and the game starts out feeling like something intended for children, but the story gets some adult themes half way through.
  87. Nov 4, 2013
    What a wonderful experience this game was. The concept and controls worked perfectly (used a controller) and the game was perfectly paced, never boring, never tedious. I'm usually not the most patient gamer and rarely take the time to do things in a game that doesn't give me any tangible game-rewards. Here I played a lot more with the surroundings becoming genuinely interested in the two brothers and the world they could interact with. I even checked out the achievement list after finishing the first time to find new fun and pointless things to do. That's a first for this veteran gamer.

I also started playing this game a second time, now with my 3 year old daughter. Granted, some of the scenes were a little bit scary for her but I have never seen her so engaged in any game before. The way the game doesn't rely on understanding the made up language makes it very easy to follow the story for children. She tried controlling a bit when she wanted to and passed the controls to me quite often to progress.

One of my best purchases ever.

I got a wired controlled quite recently to check out State of Decay and I think that affected the experience quite a bit. This is the first time (perhaps except for Tekken and the likes) that I have found a console controller to be essential for the experience so strongly recommend you get one hooked up to your PC.
  88. Feb 19, 2014
    This game is amazing. The gameplay is groundbreaking, fluid and challenging at the same time. The puzzles are somewhat simple but fun to solve, and the storyline manages to be simply beautiful.

Touching, inspiring & innovator, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is one of the best games I've played so far.

(About 4 hours gameplay + 1 hour cutscene films & about U$10-15)
  89. Oct 29, 2013
    Simply amazing.... an absolute blast to play from start to finish. Other reviews here already mention that the game is "fresh and new" but I have to repeat that as well because it's true.... this is a very unique gaming experience that everyone should get the chance to play.
  90. Jan 14, 2014
    This is a technically excellent platformer with very clever, fluid and engaging gameplay. But that would make for a decent game. The reason why this game is a masterpiece is how powerful the story is and how the story works with the gameplay. Very quickly you start to feel like these characters are a literal part of you. The game's story moved me like none other, in any medium. A must play. A game you will never forget. Expand
  91. Jan 2, 2014
    Delightful game, undoubtedly could be enjoyed by anyone with a heart and some basic grasp of simple puzzles and a controller. It's (dare I say) beautiful and touching, and definitely worth your time (even if it is just a few hours). It's the kind of game that I will store in my Steam account, categorized as "classic".
  92. Jan 17, 2014
    This game has heart! I enjoyed this game as much or more than any game in years. The visuals are excellent. At certain points I found myself just staring at how good looking this fantasy world was. The world scale is epic - beautiful art reminiscent of LOTR . The story is very good. I found myself engaged and caring for the characters. There are puzzle aspects to the story and some mild platforming elements, but nothing that will probably stump or challenge you. Instead it's more like I enjoyed moving from puzzle to puzzle to see what imaginative world waits next.

I played with a keyboard (not gamepad) the entire game and it worked fine once I got the controls down. I have never given a 10 on a game and I considered it for this one, but I'll go with a 9. The only thing really holding me back from a 10 is that I felt the story kindof left me a bit confused at the end. I think I understood what the storyteller was going for around the story, but I felt a couple of events near the end just felt a little outside the chain of cause/effect. I think some may say you'll get to a part in the story near the end when you wonder "how did we get from there to here, and why did the unpredictable series of events drop us at our destination?" Anyhow, I'll be vague, but this element only slightly detracts from an otherwise wonderful game. Play this one when you get a chance.
  93. Nov 5, 2013
    This is a lovely little game. I say little because it only took me five hours and I didn't feel inclined to replay it right away. It wasn't very expensive, if you don't count the Xbox controller it requires. Having to control two characters simultaneously was a nice challenge, and the basic message of love and cooperation was very satisfying. I also liked that the ending had real feeling that was different from what you get in most computer games. I took off a point for not being 'open-world': you have a fairly narrow path to follow. I didn't get most of the achievements, but they aren't integral to the story and it would take considerable random clicking to unlock most of them. There were a lot of passages that required imagination and ingenuity to solve; it reminded me of GW2 jumping puzzles or certain platformers. The lack of English dialog was, in some ways, a plus; it certainly wasn't hard to follow most of the conversations due to the cleverness of the drawing. Some plot twists were surprising. I certainly recommend this game ahead of most shooters I've played, mainly because of the emotional dynamics. Expand
  94. Dec 10, 2013
    Got my attention after seeing the trailer and I have to admit it, it was much better than expected. The stunnig art direction makes the enviroment so jaw dropping that you will be wondering how a low budget game could have done it. The pace of the game is so well implemented that you could go through the entire game at the first try, wishing the 2-3 hours spent could have lasted for a milenium. And ohh the gameplay, controling the two brothers was a very interesting and inovative experience. also the way you solved those simple but very rewarding puzzles with them was awesome! The narrative apparently was based on norse mythology and the director, Josef Fares as a swedish film director, couldnt be a better choice. The story gets very emotional during their quest to save their father, confrontantig many things on their way, and at the end you will be touched! Get this awe inspiring video game, because I freaking doubt that you will dislike! Expand
  95. Sep 22, 2013
    First the 2 negatives:
    I have to warn potential buyers that this is more of a story/movie than a game. In fact, the game elements were by far the least interesting. It requires the player to do somewhat confusing controller magic which took me out of the great involved story line. Because you control both thumbsticks and both left and right trigger at the same time (yes, sometimes all
    together at once) I had some failures with the platforming part because I forgot which buttons and sticks to use. But, it never got to the point where I would fail more than 3 times or so.

The game is extremely short. I finished it in under 2 hours. This might be too short for the price for some people.

Now for the good part:
    This game is utterly beautiful (I played on 2560x1440). It looks like one of the most lovingly created games I've ever played. All the environments and creatures are just amazing. The game uses very vibrant colours in day time, and really bleak colours at night which really portray the mood you are experiencing. The music is also something very special. One of the better musical scores in any game I know of. There is not much of it, but what is there is of 'Lord of the rings' ilk and quality.
    The game starts positive with a lot of tiny details like petting cute animals and having fun with the villagers. Gradually it turns ever darker.
    If you want to have an experience that has the power to move you psychologically, this is the game for you. See it as sort of an interactive drama movie.

Story 10
    Visuals 10
    Music 10
    Gameplay 6
    Length 6
    Replayability 3

Total: 8
  96. Jan 4, 2014
    A rather memorable experience. Stunning visuals, pretty simplistic gameplay and puzzles, yet fun. The story is okay, though I do not consider it awesome. One thing I must mention very comfortable controls (if you use gamepad). Overall, this game is a small work of art. Try not to miss it, it takes only 3 hours to complete, but you'll get unforgettable impressions.
  97. Jan 20, 2014
    OMG!!!! We (my two granddaughters and I) just got finished playing this game and I have been crying for the past 20 minutes!!! I had to write to a review about this. It is one of the best, if not THE best games, I have ever played!!! I don't even know where to begin. It was heartbreaking, beautiful, suspenseful, challenging, and uplifting all rolled into one. My grandkids (ages 6 and 9) were screaming out loud on some parts they were so scared but then when we made it through a challenge we were all screaming for joy!! We played from around 11 am through 8 pm and just could not stop playing until we had finished it!! One used a controller and the other was on keyboard (big sister/little sister just like the brothers). It was just a fantastic family experience!! We'll probably start a new game when they come back over again we had so much fun. Many kudos 505 Games!!! Expand
  98. Nov 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers. After watching total biscuit's immense hype for this game, I decided to try it for myself, all in one sitting. The graphics are beautiful. The controls are odd at first, but then work well. But the emotional moment where many people shed tears, I was only slightly moved. After the crazy adventures they had gone through, having the older brother die to such a silly, out of nowhere event left me a little disappointed. But overall it is still a beautiful story, and a must play Collapse
  99. Sep 19, 2013
    Everyone should play this. It's as simple as that. The game does have a couple of minor problems, especially the cheesy music that actually hurts the emotional impact of the story, but when it works (which is 95% of the time), it works in a way that you have simply never experienced before. There's not a whole lot of unique games these days. This is one of them. Go buy it now.
  100. Sep 28, 2013
    I sure would like to shake the hand of the person who made this game! Well done.. It does so well when your playing both brothers at once and in fact it really puts the game at hard to work. Games that allow you to play as just one character or one character at a time already have enough of a hard time but playing 2 at once is something much different for the player(s) and the game's physics.

I have made it atleast 2 hours into the game now and i don't see anything too tough to accomplish.. Every objective seems easy enough to complete within just few minutes of thinking time (or maybe none needed at all)

The adventuring is spectacular. Very good looking.

The way you help each other out is just so touching and breathe taking that it will put a smile on anyone's face. It gives me goosebumps just thinking about what's beyond the next turn. Great job!
  101. Nov 3, 2013

1. Oct 31, 2013
    Brothers, unlike many recent indie hits, is very down to earth. It is not rife with intellectual puzzles like Braid, it is not as open to interpretations as Journey. It just makes you think about simple human values.
  2. Oct 24, 2013
    A gorgeous world, bursting with personality. Great storytelling makes up for the short length and unchallenging puzzles.
  3. Oct 11, 2013
    Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a true marriage of gameplay and narrative, and it is frankly a complete triumph.