8.6

1. Jul 30, 2017
    I think that this is truly a unique game and I would recommend that if you are a fan of this type of genre then I think you should give this game a try.
  2. Jun 29, 2017
    From this game I realized what it means - heart-wrenching.From this game I realized what it means - heart-wrenching. Although I do not have a brother, but the game gives you this feeling, for several hours. Warm, sincere brotherly love.
  3. Jun 4, 2017
    Simplicity shines brightly in a game brimming with beauty, variety, and character. As for an unnecessary shift in tone towards the end, that is unwarranted due to a lack of characterization, the game's ability to tell a compelling tale through merely interaction and aesthetics is credit to the game's design. The simplicity of the game's puzzles should not be understood as poor design, butSimplicity shines brightly in a game brimming with beauty, variety, and character. As for an unnecessary shift in tone towards the end, that is unwarranted due to a lack of characterization, the game's ability to tell a compelling tale through merely interaction and aesthetics is credit to the game's design. The simplicity of the game's puzzles should not be understood as poor design, but as the developer's recognition of its game's own pacing, maximising immersion, and minimising the frustration for the casual players the game is clearly intended for. Expand
  4. May 30, 2017
    The game is OK at his best. The Gameplay is simplistic, controlling two characters with one controller, and using one button for doing everything. The story is linear and no so deep as it seems to be. The art is beautiful, the camera control is fine most of the time. There are some parts of the game that feels stupid or just very silly how are solved by the designers. And the end is notThe game is OK at his best. The Gameplay is simplistic, controlling two characters with one controller, and using one button for doing everything. The story is linear and no so deep as it seems to be. The art is beautiful, the camera control is fine most of the time. There are some parts of the game that feels stupid or just very silly how are solved by the designers. And the end is not the best part of the game. Brothers stars strong and is losing force during the whole gameplay trying to mimic a tragedy in the end. Expand
  5. May 25, 2017
    First off I always rate games using a normal distribution which is different than most people with 5-6 being extremely average based on the year it was released and genre and 1s and 10s being reserved for historically bad or good games. I can't give this game more than a 4 using that criteria. Visually the game is a somewhat appealing but nothing mind blowing. The vistas and scenes theFirst off I always rate games using a normal distribution which is different than most people with 5-6 being extremely average based on the year it was released and genre and 1s and 10s being reserved for historically bad or good games. I can't give this game more than a 4 using that criteria. Visually the game is a somewhat appealing but nothing mind blowing. The vistas and scenes the developers made are pretty too look at for a brief moment but honestly I've seen better and the art style is no more better than Fable so its been done before. The game is extremely short clocking in at around 4 hours so for $5-$10 its worth it if have a free afternoon. I think I am the minority when I say I was not impressed by the simplistic story being told. It wasn't the way it was told because I enjoyed the mini cut scenes it was just that the story although heartfelt especially the ending but overall it just didn't pull me in due to the short length. Game play wise the are some serious glitches related to solving puzzles that had me pulling my heart out they were glaringly bad. The controls take some getting used to because you control 2 characters and at times can be extremely confusing and frustating. Over the course of the game you only get slightly more comfortable with the controls never feeling natural. Most of the time I felt I was going to release the wrong key and fall to my death unnecessarily. The puzzles themselves are very simple which didn't bother me but overall fun factor it was a snoozefest. Aside from a few cool puzzle dynamics related to NPC use specifically a giant troll there just weren't enough "wow this is cool" moments to make the experience memorable. Over all I would not recommend this game. Expand
  6. May 10, 2017
    "I am thrilled that I never thought that ending would be as that!" - It was very tragically adventure game that I found myself crying.

Very immersive and heartfelt. Indeed an awesome experience! My hat off to the creator.
  7. Apr 22, 2017
    1 – GENERAL

Brothers is a game that relies a lot on storytelling without saying a single word. Strange enough? I hope so, because they do it brilliantly. In this puzzle adventure game your task is to find a medicine to heal your father. I do not want to spoil much more, but I have to say that in this Indie game you will forgive most of it's faults because you are always compelled to
    1 – GENERAL

In this puzzle adventure game your task is to find a medicine to heal your father. I do not want to spoil much more, but I have to say that in this Indie game you will forgive most of it's faults because you are always compelled to go forward to the next level and unravel another bit of the story.

Graphics are a joy to watch, and there's even an interaction with the environment where you can just sit and stare at the landscape.

The soundtrack is also flawless. Very well chosen. People can also play this game just for it's music.

2 – GAMEPLAY

Most of the narrative driven games do not have a proper gameplay to go along, but Brothers is built upon some interesting mechanics. This game is actually a single player co-op! To words for that GE-NIOUS!

We control both brothers at the same time with the dual analog sticks of the controller. At the beginning it feels a bit strange and we fail most of the moves. The game is very short so we never get the full hang of that, but soon enough we are perfectly able to do it almost without mistakes.

The puzzles are quite simple and not very challenging. TBH the main challenge of the game is controlling the brothers, and not to cry here and there...

It's also fun to interact with NPCs and find out the different reactions from each brother.

Despite all this the game is very short and has no replay value whatsoever.

3 – CONCLUSION

So pointing that, is it worth buying? For sure! More than a game it's a very powerful experience, and I clearly suggest anyone to try this one out!
  8. Mar 17, 2017
    Pros:
    - Beautiful and simple story that will burn your FEEEEELSS!!
    - Interesting gameplay (you need a controller)
    - Gorgeous world and environments for such a small game.

Cons:
    - You'll spend more money on the napkins than on the actual product! xD
  9. Mar 16, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let's start with the story. Most reviews talk about this games engaging and sad story that really gets to the player emotionally. In my eyes games like these show how low our expectations for video game stories truly are. A good story gives you characters you can connect to. Great character interaction, A world that seems believable. While the world does seem believable, I didn't connect to a single character in this game. It's not because of the made-up language either.

The game starts with the little boy thinking about his dead mother. *Put sad music on, so the player feels sad.* I don't. I don't care for him or his mother. I don't feel connected to neither of them. Well, that may be bound to change, right? Big bro is introduced with his dad being badly injured. We have to bring him to a healer. Do I care about big bro or about the dad? Obviously not, I couldn't connect to them yet. So the healer tells the boys that they have to go to a magic place where they can find an item, that can heal dad (which is pretty generic). The boys go on an adventure. The fact you have to use both of the guys at the same time is supposed to make you feel connected to them. The interactions during the puzzles is supposed to make you feel connected to them. Well, what it does is, it makes me recognize that I'm controlling two guys. There is nothing in terms of real characterization here. I don't know anything about the boys other than their love for each other (and that's great but it leaves the player uninvolved). The big boy dies because he stupidly fell in love with a spider girl. Too bad. By that time I don't care for him, his actions make me think he is an idiot. *Put some sad music in so the player feels sad*. Doesn't work in my case.

A lot of people I know wouldn't care for this story. I guess it's a niche game, that only people who really are interested in a low effort story with sad music care for. Because the story is low effort. I'm not talking about length, I'm talking about characterization of the characters and the players bond with them (the player bonds with the fact that he has to use two characters. Not with the boys.) I'll give the developers credit, I liked the short interactions with the other guys you meet but that's really it. And everyone can feel sad, when there is sad music playing. (STORY - 29)

Well, that was long. By this time I want to remind you that this is my opinion on the game, not facts. Most of you will obviously disagree (and that's fine) but I hope you can understand my opinion. I tried to explain it as thoroughly as I could.

Gameplay! You control the boys with both of your sticks on your controller (do not use your Keyboard). You'll spend the first 30 minutes getting used to these controls, as you will run one brother into a tree while the other one goes on without him. Then you'll realize the other one is stuck and that'll repeat a few times. Sure, it's innovative but innovative doesn't have to mean good all the time. *Buuh, you're calling it bad just because you can't get used to it.* Well, you want the player to be controlling your game without issues. Especially if the player is supposed to bond with the brothers by use of the sticks? Can't really focus on it if you're struggling with controls. Because of that the "innovative control scheme" isn't really a positive. I like games where you control two characters separately. Were you switch between both to solve puzzles. It works more often than not. Here it doesn't. Also the puzzles were way too easy. The developers didn't want the puzzles to be difficult as they wanted the focus to be on the story. It worked (for most people) but being letdown by the story, I would've been glad to see difficult puzzles. (GAMEPLAY - 25)

I liked the art style for what it was. It's personally not my favorite, but it's generally loved and I CAN see why. I'm not a guy who can go in-depth about atmosphere (and I don't want to try), so I'll just say that the soundtrack was alright and be done with it. (ATMOSPHERE - 60)

Next to Story, Gameplay and Atmosphere I like to rate the originality. How different is this game from others. I'm not saying it has to be something else completely. The Witcher 3 is an RPG/Action-Adventure (genres am I right?) but my experience with it was completely different from other RPG's. That fits Skyrim as well (and a lot of other games). Brothers: ATO2S, bless it, tried to be original with is control scheme. Didn't work, as I explained. Story was too generic and puzzles were nothing to write home about. (ORIGINALITY - 40)

Also I like to rate a game's depth. How much is there to do and does it fit with what the game is trying. This game is short (I like that). The game didn't make effective use of its time though, as the characters ended up being generic. I liked the games linearity at least. (DEPTH - 51).

Not good - 41/100 = 5/10 .: I liked the atmosphere. The story is bad though.
  10. Mar 14, 2017
    Pros:
    + Amazing Storyline
    + Great Graphics
    + Beautiful Music

Cons:
    - Short story ( 3 hours )
    - The puzzles are too easy, and sometimes even boring.

Amazing game with very emotional incredible story and amazing soundtrack .
    MUST HAVE for someone who like puzzles or just games based on story.

SCORE : 90/100
  11. Feb 16, 2017
    Once upon a time, in a far far land, two brothers went on a journey to find a miracle potion that could save their sick father. Our two heroes were not only linked by blood but their destiny was one. It is through the game controller that you will lead their story. This beautiful tale offers you a clever/original take on playing video games which perfectly serves the story line. This gameOnce upon a time, in a far far land, two brothers went on a journey to find a miracle potion that could save their sick father. Our two heroes were not only linked by blood but their destiny was one. It is through the game controller that you will lead their story. This beautiful tale offers you a clever/original take on playing video games which perfectly serves the story line. This game will transport you to a fabulous universe with fun and serious themes that will resonate with any human being. I loved it so much that I really wish it was a little longer... But part of me also thinks that the 3~4 hours story line was perfectly executed, and I would rather have that than a 40+ hours game of chores.

Verdict: A
  12. Feb 2, 2017
    It took me about 3 hours to play through this, and left me feeling rather indifferent as the credits rolled. I liked the scenery, visuals and various locales but those are the only aspects of the game I felt were particularly strong. The biggest drawback for me was how heavy handed all the tragedy was, which I guess is why I couldn't really take the whole thing seriously with charactersIt took me about 3 hours to play through this, and left me feeling rather indifferent as the credits rolled. I liked the scenery, visuals and various locales but those are the only aspects of the game I felt were particularly strong. The biggest drawback for me was how heavy handed all the tragedy was, which I guess is why I couldn't really take the whole thing seriously with characters constantly dropping onto their knees and bursting into tears all the time. Mix this in with a melodramatic soundtrack and the result was me rolling my eyes at how hard the game was trying to make me sad. Now, I'm not heartless (mostly) since there are games that have put me on the verge of tears, but Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons wasn't one of them. Besides that little rant, all other aspects of the game are pretty functional and adequate. Expand
  13. Jan 29, 2017
    Game: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
    Genre: Adventure
    Developer: 505 Studios/Starbreeze Studios System: Steam (PC) Total Score: 78/100 Value Score: 7.8/10 • Story: 7/10 • Characters: 7/10 • GamePlay: 8/10 • Graphics: 10/10 • Sound: 8/10 • Music: 7/10 • Length: 7/10 • Replay Value: 6/10 • Player Value: 8/10 Pros +Amazing visuals and level design +Unique innovative control
    Game: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

• Music: 7/10
    • Length: 7/10
    • Replay Value: 6/10
    • Player Value: 8/10

Pros
    +Amazing visuals and level design
    +Unique innovative control scheme and decent puzzle solving
    +A lot of potential for exploration which leads to side quest like events
    +Game can be replayed through chapters

Cons
    -Controls can be somewhat annoying at times
    -Very short unless you explore
    -A lot of the side quest events (which lead to achievements) can easily be skipped or looked over
    -Narration is done by a imaginative language however the lack of subtitles can make some confused at what is going on
  14. Jan 8, 2017
    Прекрасная сказка.
    Очень красивые пейзажи и локации. Геймплей даёт новый опыт, интересно сделан. История проста, но от этого не менее трогательна.
    Лучше сыграть, чем увидеть.
  15. Nov 23, 2016
    A beautiful experience, perfect for a single sit down.

Pros:
    - Emotional and compelling story
    - Beautiful and deep environments
    - Interesting and constantly changing puzzle mechanics

Cons:
    - Very short, under 3 hours

If you can pick this one up on sale, it is a perfect palate cleanser between more expansive, time consuming games.
  16. Sep 15, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fantastic game. If you want an in-depth look at how the game conveyed its story and emotion through its gameplay, then you might enjoy this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-onOQDZ7gc Expand
  17. Aug 28, 2016
    THIS is one of the best videogame indie that I have never played. The feelings are awesome and I downloaded the music because is perfect. Buy it, they deserve i.
  18. Jul 26, 2016
    Price paid: £1.09
    Time to finish: 3 hours 18 minutes
    Score: 7/10 Recommended?: Yes, when on sale I have been playing shooter after shooter lately so I thought I'd play something completely different, this isn't a genre I've ever really played before but I have to say I enjoyed it a lot. Overall it has to be one of the most beautiful games I've played, the design is spot on in so
    Price paid: £1.09
    Time to finish: 3 hours 18 minutes
    Score: 7/10
    Recommended?: Yes, when on sale

Overall it has to be one of the most beautiful games I've played, the design is spot on in so many different ways but especially the landscapes which are gorgeous and varied throughout. The puzzles are fun but not too challenging, the little mechanics that are added as the game goes on keep it fresh and the pacing feels just right, the game doesn't overstay its welcome like most games tend to do these days. I would highly recommend you play this in one sitting like I did, it's really best experienced like that. Next time it's on sale I'd highly recommend grabbing it, it's well worth and if you go into it blind to the story you'll enjoy it so much more (which is why I've avoided talking about it at all).
  19. Jul 24, 2016
    I'm convinced that this game should be played by everyone. You'll experience a great story with such a sad ending, awesome soundtrack/art, and, of course, gameplay which is pretty interesting: you will take control of two brothers. I played the game a year ago, but still remember those feelings. Just try it out.
  20. Jun 21, 2016
    A short, but very interesting game with a unique gameplay and a lovely setting.

Brothers tell a tale of two brothers in quest to find cure for their ill-struck father. They will have to travel through a wonderful, fairy tale land. On their way they'll meet a bunch of fantastic creatures and will visit really well designed places. Gamplay focuses on using twin sticks so it's
    A short, but very interesting game with a unique gameplay and a lovely setting.

Gamplay focuses on using twin sticks so it's preferable to use controller to play it. You control both brothers at the same time to progress in your journey. The puzzles are well designed and simply make sense. Using both characters at the same time makes the game experience unique and fun. Really enjoyed this.

The location design is top notch. I used to stop for a while to just enjoy the visuals. The scale is well presented. There are sights that just leave you in awe.

The story is well put together as well. Really emotional and heart-warming.

The game might be a bit short but feels complete and it's a well spent couple of hours. Really worth picking up.
  21. Jun 19, 2016
    Short but worth it. This game will make you feel the feels and is also mechanically unique, a prime example of how to make a video game narrative work. Controller required.
  22. May 28, 2016
    Gorgeous looking indie game with a rich story and intriguing puzzle/adventure gameplay. On the shorter side (3-4hrs), but definitely worth the $3 I paid during a Steam summer sale. Not your typical adventure/platform game, but very rewarding for those willing to give it a try. I played through by myself, but I imagine it would be a blast with a 2nd player (a brother even)!
  23. May 18, 2016
    Este juego no está mal en un principio, pues tiene escenas bastante bonitas y un gamepllay pasable en buena medida. Pero tanto la historia como la línea de diversión en mi caso podía tener bajones a lo largo del jego, lo critico porque no me gustó su estilo de tristeza. Pero a lo corto que es y todas las faltas de calidad del juego, la idéa de jugar con 2 personajes a la vez me haceEste juego no está mal en un principio, pues tiene escenas bastante bonitas y un gamepllay pasable en buena medida. Pero tanto la historia como la línea de diversión en mi caso podía tener bajones a lo largo del jego, lo critico porque no me gustó su estilo de tristeza. Pero a lo corto que es y todas las faltas de calidad del juego, la idéa de jugar con 2 personajes a la vez me hace aplaudir el juego pues no conozco más juegos que hagan algo parecido. Por eso sube a 7, tirando a 7,5 como mucho, pero no llega al 8 pues no es un juego notable: notablemente bueno, deja cosas que desear, pero en sí está bastante interesante para probarlo. Yo si lo recomiendo es por rebajas. ^^ Expand
  24. May 1, 2016
    Me and my friend played it till the end . we felt like we're bonding it's a really great game with lots of great

and awesome adventures . my advise play it with your girlfriend PLEASE JUST DO THIS and let her play with the younger brother . we just made a lot of jokes till we got hit awesomely with the awesome story line . yeah a great **** game overall . BUT the ONLY problem for

story line . yeah a great **** game overall . BUT the ONLY problem for me is that the game was TOO

SHORT . feels like a long movie .
  25. Apr 7, 2016
    A charming little puzzle-platforming experience that is easily recommendable to anyone. The dual stick/character control scheme is both fun, daring and precise. The melancholic atmosphere paired with the competent audio-visual presentation make for a soothing few hours of entertainment. Play it, there is really no reason not to.
  26. Mar 25, 2016
    To summarize the game it was really boring. Sure there was emotional parts but that doesn't change the fact that I wanted to sleep while playing it. The puzzles were also too easy, but whoa boring game play and emotional stories equal instant masterpiece in this day and age so who am I to complain.
  27. Feb 24, 2016
    Do you want a laid back adventure in terms of game play, but an intense experience in termes of story telling and scenery? This one is for you. It's casual friendly. It's beautiful. It's imaginative and fun. There are few minor bugs if you play on PC keyboard, but there are easy ways around them (hence 9 instead of 10]. And let me tell you a secret... you can play with your partner or aDo you want a laid back adventure in terms of game play, but an intense experience in termes of story telling and scenery? This one is for you. It's casual friendly. It's beautiful. It's imaginative and fun. There are few minor bugs if you play on PC keyboard, but there are easy ways around them (hence 9 instead of 10]. And let me tell you a secret... you can play with your partner or a friend using one keyboard, which will give you an amazing experience and emotional bonding of a shared adventure of emotional depth. Expand
  28. Feb 23, 2016
    If ever there was poetry in game form, this is it. This game's unique mechanic might seem a little quirky and hard to manage at times, but the story, setting and characters are all likeable enoug to make you want to continue. The way it manages to tell the story it does with no comrehensible dialogue at all is absolutely stunning. And that ending... Never before has a game nearly made meIf ever there was poetry in game form, this is it. This game's unique mechanic might seem a little quirky and hard to manage at times, but the story, setting and characters are all likeable enoug to make you want to continue. The way it manages to tell the story it does with no comrehensible dialogue at all is absolutely stunning. And that ending... Never before has a game nearly made me cry. Not one for those who are easily turned off by slightly awkeward gameplay, but ifyou can see past that then this game will really touch your heart. Expand
  29. Feb 19, 2016
    A game working with just an analog stick and only one use button (OK, two sticks, two buttons). The controls are uncommon but that's nice. Although there are no dialogues, no quests and no inventory, the game is definitely a must-play because of it's very emotional and fine made story.
  30. Feb 19, 2016
    -Overview:

Brothers - A tale of two sons tells the story about two brothers (captain obvious here) which enter a journey to find a medicinal water to save their sick father's life. The universe in question begins normal, and shows up more fantasy-like as the game proceeds. One must use the independent control of each brother to go further the beautiful scenarios and amazing ambiance.
    -Overview:

-Concept Art

Done amazingly, the concept art captivates and really immerses the player in the word of the two sons. The gameplay all the time enriches the landscape, giving to the player an amazing view of the surrounding word.

-Graphics

The graphics lives up to the concept art. Having animation movies characteristics, it is perfectly balanced with the characters trait.

-Soundtrack

The soundtrack is present and features well the moments of comedy and drama of the game.

-Gameplay

The gameplay is interesting: one shall control both brothers, with independent controls. This makes the game challenging (of course if you play some skilled based game like Dota or Counter Strike, this will be a piece of cake), and add lots of POSSIBLE features to the gameplay. The "possible" was capitalized because this characteristic was not seized as it was supposed to. It is obvious that the game was not supposed to be a puzzle, but the difficulty of this game is little, to non. The most difficult parts are the ones you have to hold the controls of the two brothers, as they act together (in this aspect the gameplay is amazing), but some more difficult on the puzzles, more challenging bosses, and more options (the game is EXTREMELY linear) would have made this game MUCH more fun.
    Talking about linearity: the linearity of this game is INSANE; you literally just walk straight. There are almost no enemies, and the puzzles, as said, are extremely easy. You have no collectibles, no items, no upgrades... nothing. The simply fact that you control two characters at the same time is where all the "gameplay fun" is located, master this (hello Meepo players) and the game will be, gameplay wise, boring.

-Plot

The plot is what makes this game special. The story is simple, and becomes more and more interesting as the game proceeds. The player has to imply the story, that is because there is no language in the game. They speak their own language, which is basically noise for us (like The Sims language). The player understands what is going on by the expressions, the tone of the conversations, and the gestures of the characters. Impressively, besides having no language, the characters are extremely charismatics: you fell happy and sad with them, as the game proceeds.
    The history is well told, immersive and charismatic, using these methods.

-Conclusion

The art aspects of the game, as well as the story, are really creative, beautiful and captivating. You have a really good time playing if you like these aspects. However, besides the gameplay being interesting, it is extremely linear and easy, as well as short (I did it in 4 hours or something), making it a must play game, IF the price is not high.
  31. Jan 17, 2016
    Hands down best game ever played. The storyline is amazing and really touching as you slowly watch the players develop. The mechanics of the game is rather unpolished but this can be forgiven as it is sort of an Indie game. The graphics on this game are breathtaking, especially when viewed from the designated viewing seats scattered across the map.

The game would appear to be a bit

The game would appear to be a bit short, completing in around 4 hours, but it's well worth it. Apart from that, my only complaint would be the ending, which is rather disappointing.
  32. Jan 8, 2016
    The hype train took me.. and oooh god, that was awful.

The hype train took me.. and oooh god, that was awful.

In fact, I really don't understand why this game have a good review. But.. some games that I don't like I'm just like : "ok.. not my style but it can be cool for some people I guess!". Here .. hmm.. can be cool for somebody who has never play a good game with a good story. The deep story ? Please... there's just nothing. Nothing. Really. Please, there's game with real story, real depth... plenty of them. Do them, do them and never go back in brothers : A tale of nope.

Scene graphism are cool... but you don't know why this is at this place or that thing at another place. With this huge problem, this world seem empty and you just don't feel it at all. This way, graphism are useless. There is no artistic direction, artistic idea. This world wasn't here before you, and will vanish without you. It has no meaning, no story, nothing. Like the game itself in fact.

Our heroes are just horrible.. it's not the case if you don't talk to any PNJ. But if you interact with only one of them, you will hate your character fors the entire playthrough. Facial expression is absent... and for a game that wanted to be deep, with empathy ... it's really disturbing.

Gameplaywise there's just nothing. Oh wait... yes there's something... one act, one idea. Over, and over, and over again.. and again... and another act.. and that's a loop. A loop of nothing.

Please.. please don't play this game. Never, ever play this game. Never.
  33. Dec 24, 2015
    wrongly submit Xbox one review here, give it back a fair review to it. great game . great story telling . if you want a game to make think a litttle bit more or make you cry, this is the game.
  34. Nov 9, 2015
    Despite going into this one feeling a bit cynical and ready to mock, I couldn't help but be converted. The weird control scheme is both awkward as hell and also amusing to watch yourself fail at. The game does a good job of making the personality of the brothers come out despite the dialogue consisting of no actual words. Environments are varied and so gorgeous they left benches along theDespite going into this one feeling a bit cynical and ready to mock, I couldn't help but be converted. The weird control scheme is both awkward as hell and also amusing to watch yourself fail at. The game does a good job of making the personality of the brothers come out despite the dialogue consisting of no actual words. Environments are varied and so gorgeous they left benches along the path for you to stop and sit on just to admire the view. The overall plot and setting is also VERY dark compared to what I was expecting, not afraid to show death and blood as the journey continues. Which pleasantly reminded me of being traumatized by Don Bluth films as a young child.

I'm a little disappointed in the simple level design. It feels like there was so much more potential for complex puzzles and platforming sequences using the two brothers to their fullest, but instead everything's pretty simple and obvious. You won't die much, no matter how much you suck at the controls.

Speaking of, some might disagree, but I'd say a controller is 100% required to enjoy this one right.

And for those who beat it, that's probably the most emotional I've ever felt over pressing the left shoulder button to progress.
  35. Oct 23, 2015
    Un juego que no monopoliza a un personaje, un juego en el que se coopera aunque juegues tu solo, un juego que hace llegar sentimientos a varios personajes a la vez. Grandísimo juego.
  36. Oct 1, 2015
    Tier 2
    + Perfectly intertwined story, theme, and gameplay
    + Unique hook with engaging ramifications
    + Amazing levels with inspired and gripping set and action pieces
    ? Somewhat random story that mostly works in spite of no actual dialog
    - A reverse deus ex machina ending that feels cheap after the adventure ends
  37. Jul 28, 2015
    It's amazing. It's best emotional and athmospheric game. It will teach you to appreciate loved ones and not only.
    I love this game. I love her cool soundtrack.
  38. Jul 21, 2015
    A lovely relaxing platformer, with great art direction and high production values. Even though some textures and animations are a bit basic, this game looks absolutely amazing - a real triumph of the Unreal Engine 3. I like how it felt innocent and uncluttered compared to mainstream titles. It does get a bit darker towards the end though, which I felt a bit mixed about. Still, this is aA lovely relaxing platformer, with great art direction and high production values. Even though some textures and animations are a bit basic, this game looks absolutely amazing - a real triumph of the Unreal Engine 3. I like how it felt innocent and uncluttered compared to mainstream titles. It does get a bit darker towards the end though, which I felt a bit mixed about. Still, this is a nice break after playing lots of FPS games. The puzzles are easy, but they are still nice and not too repetitive. If you want intense gameplay, you wont find it here.
    While a controller is ideal, I played on a keyboard without much trouble (minus a small problem with a lift mechanism at the start). Do not avoid this game because some people say keyboard controls are bad, you would be missing out on so much. Yes, it is a bit short, and you can see it was made on a budget, but it is a masterpiece all the same. Even if you usually only play mainstream shooter games, you should take a break and play this.
  39. Jun 26, 2015
    It has been a while ago that I played this game, but I remember very well how imressed I was by the increadible amount of creativity that was invested into the story, scenary, gameplay... and everything. It is elaborated to the last detail, nothing ignored, nothing out of place. I was continuously amazed by any amounts of small and big things contributing to the experience. You simplyIt has been a while ago that I played this game, but I remember very well how imressed I was by the increadible amount of creativity that was invested into the story, scenary, gameplay... and everything. It is elaborated to the last detail, nothing ignored, nothing out of place. I was continuously amazed by any amounts of small and big things contributing to the experience. You simply cannot miss the extreme care with which this game was created. I felt the game a bit short as I wanted to get more... but I guess, in light of hte story and the message, any longer would feel artificial, so after all this is no reason to complain.
    I give 10 very rarerely, but this game is as near to flawless as a game can be.
  40. May 21, 2015
    This game is wrong on some many aspects, starting from extremely stupid 'puzzles' over 1-dimensional characters to a nonsensical storyholes and the **** with that spiderwoman, well the whole story is complete crap. The only good thing I can say about this game is that it is very short. And WTF is with this retarted fantasy language? The permanent gltiches? The extremely repetiveThis game is wrong on some many aspects, starting from extremely stupid 'puzzles' over 1-dimensional characters to a nonsensical storyholes and the **** with that spiderwoman, well the whole story is complete crap. The only good thing I can say about this game is that it is very short. And WTF is with this retarted fantasy language? The permanent gltiches? The extremely repetive gameplay?The whole thing makes me wanna smack the creators of this load of crap in the face.
    I just wonder how this game got so many positive reviews so far, but then, millions of people are going to McDonalds and do lots of other stupid things to themselves and think they like it. Maybe they don"t know better or they just have a lack of taste and braincells.
  41. Apr 1, 2015
    The game is absolutely magnificent, unique and engaging, like a fairytale but with more maturity, even the main characters being children. A satisfying ending, with a great story told. I love the game, the same day that I had downloaded, I had already finished the game.
  42. Mar 21, 2015
    El juego lo tiene todo, es precioso, emocionante y no deja de impresionarte. Un juego pequeño que te hace muy grande. Si puedes comprarlo hazlo, sino consiguelo pirata pero juégalo, no te decepcionara.
  43. Mar 16, 2015
    If you don't like 'Brothers', then you simply don't like video games at all. Well, okay, maybe that's not entirely true and I may be a bit melodramatic when saying that, but I really can't figure out a reason why someone would dislike this game, other than the fact that it's pretty short. Although making this game longer would most likely deter from it's beauty. Simply put, this is one ofIf you don't like 'Brothers', then you simply don't like video games at all. Well, okay, maybe that's not entirely true and I may be a bit melodramatic when saying that, but I really can't figure out a reason why someone would dislike this game, other than the fact that it's pretty short. Although making this game longer would most likely deter from it's beauty. Simply put, this is one of the best and most original puzzle games that I have played in a while, and although it's not exactly the most difficult, the reward is in the storytelling. It's not easy to portray emotion in a video game without saying a word, but this game pulls it off in style.

While I agree that all video games, no matter how bad or good they are, are a form of art, this game is a shining example of it. Emotional storytelling combined with controls that make sense not only to the gameplay, but say even more on a narrative level, 'A Tale of Two Sons' shines the most when it comes to how we interact with the characters. By giving players the opportunity to control both brothers at once by utilizing the dual sticks on your gamepad, 'Brothers' takes storytelling through gameplay to a new level. This may sound difficult to control at first, but after a few minutes you'll get the hang of it and will often forget that you're controlling two people at the same time without much thought.

This game more than deserves the amount of praise that it has been given and I hope to see more video games that utilize this control concept. The art style here is fantastic, the variety in gameplay will keep you entertained the whole way through, and the puzzle elements although simplistic are incredibly fun when combined with the controls. The asking price may be a bit high for such a short game, but the next time this one is on sale, I would recommend picking it up to pretty much anyone.
  44. Mar 11, 2015
    Brothers is never very difficult but given the aim seems to be to develop a relationship between the brothers and the player a more difficult game with more deaths probably would have killed the pacing and thus been detrimental to the growth of the relationship. I feel like the game should have felt more dangerous at times for greater contrast, though the couple of times that it was moreBrothers is never very difficult but given the aim seems to be to develop a relationship between the brothers and the player a more difficult game with more deaths probably would have killed the pacing and thus been detrimental to the growth of the relationship. I feel like the game should have felt more dangerous at times for greater contrast, though the couple of times that it was more dangerous the game-play suffered. Otherwise fantastic game. Expand
  45. Mar 8, 2015
    This game is unique thanks to its absence of dialogues, you can only guess what the characters are trying to say from their nonverbal communication. It doesn't hurt the story though, instead of listening to cliche phrases you can imagine your own conversations.
    The Two brothers complement each other in order to overcome obstacles and puzzles. The puzzles are not particularly challenging, but that keeps the story flowing and frustration at bay. Instead of trying hard and being mad at the game, you can admire the beautiful environment, scenery and music. Also this game convinced me to buy a gamepad. You can play it with keyboard too, but the controls are much more intuitive and immersive with a gamepad.
    Game is fairly short but i think the length is just right to keep the story intense. Also the game mechanics are not complex enough to keep you interested for longer period.
    Although the game seems peaceful, you will get your share of adrenaline and fighting.
    In my opinion the main strength of the game is it's streamlined and polished feel, that lets you fully embrace the emotions this game stirs up.
    All of the above makes a very immersive game that now holds a special place in my heart.
  46. Feb 6, 2015
    Brothers is a game you want to like and love, but unfortunately, it just doesn't carry the epic weight you expect it to. It looks nice, it sounds nice, and it feels nice, but the story is short, uncomplicated, and anticlimactic. If you're a 10 year old who suffered from a family that fell apart and you're looking for a coping mechanism to help get over it, this would be a decentBrothers is a game you want to like and love, but unfortunately, it just doesn't carry the epic weight you expect it to. It looks nice, it sounds nice, and it feels nice, but the story is short, uncomplicated, and anticlimactic. If you're a 10 year old who suffered from a family that fell apart and you're looking for a coping mechanism to help get over it, this would be a decent experience, but aside from that, it will leave you empty, vain, and asking for a whole lot more. The game's for free right now in the first half of February on XBox 360's Games with Gold, so download it if you're curious about the hype, but definitely don't buy it. Expand
  47. Jan 28, 2015
    بازیش خیلی خیلی خیلی خوبه بازی با گیمپلی متنوع و لوکیشن های متنوع و محیط های جور باجور و گرافیکی دل نشین و داستانی جذاب به هم توصیه میکنم حتما بازیش کنید بازیش عالیست
  48. Jan 17, 2015
    Oh boy. Where can I start with this one.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a small Adventure game based on two brothers, who after losing their mother, must go on a quest to retrieve something to help their sick father. A usually simple premise. However, the gameplay is unique in that it's co-op... with yourself. You control both brothers; with a controller, the analogue sticks and
    Oh boy. Where can I start with this one.

However, the gameplay is unique in that it's co-op... with yourself. You control both brothers; with a controller, the analogue sticks and triggers are dedicated to each brother, while if playing via keyboard, the WASD keys control one and the arrow keys control the other. There is very much a sense of trying to pat your head and rub your stomach at the same time, using these controls. At first, while travelling the world is relatively easy, you may struggle but soon you get used to it.

The world itself is beautiful to wander around. It looks like an oil painting come to life, with many inhabitants and objects available to interact with in both humerus and very moving ways. They breathe a certain kind of life in this game that only few games actually achieve. The landscapes become more and more epic as you progress. One certain area (and how you manoeuvre this area) left my mouth agape for it's entirety. You'll know which one this is.

Although it starts out almost child-like, the themes become very dark, quite quickly. You'll stumble across some helpless individuals, which require assistance. The story-telling of these, even though the dialogue is not a known language, can be an emotional experience.

And emotions run very high in this game. I completed this in one 3 hour setting (recommended), and 3 days later, it is still sitting with me. Towards the end, you might even find it hard to continue due to it's emotionally draining circumstances.

Definitely one of the best Indie games I've played.
  49. Jan 10, 2015
    Pros:
    +Beautiful, varied artwork and atmosphere
    +Some interesting puzzles/action, especially the "boss fights" +Innovative gameplay: you control 2 characters at once +Good Celtic-style music +Dark undertones in an otherwise visually beautiful, bright world that were handled well Cons: -Most puzzles were far too simple and easy -Little re-playability -Lack of dialogue and
    Pros:
    +Beautiful, varied artwork and atmosphere
    +Some interesting puzzles/action, especially the "boss fights"
    +Innovative gameplay: you control 2 characters at once
    +Good Celtic-style music

Cons:
    -Most puzzles were far too simple and easy
    -Little re-playability
    -Lack of dialogue and character background ultimately worked against the story, esp. in the end
    -Clunky controls
    -Very little exploration
    -Short game that lasts under 6 hours

I received this as a gift, so I knew next-to-nothing about this game. I wasn't terribly disappointed, but I wasn't terribly surprised that I rated it lower than the overwhelmingly positive critic and user scores.

The Brothers Grimm-like environments and the seamless transitions akin to Miyazaki's Spirited Away impressed me, but the bad controls and the simplistic, repetitive puzzles didn't. The good idea of controlling two characters at once was marred by the mechanic of often holding down keys to save them from certain death, which struck me as lazy and unnecessarily frustrating difficulty. I would've much preferred cutting down that in half or to none in exchange for intellectually difficult puzzles that required at least *some* ambidexterity.

The untranslated gibberish for dialogue was odd, and it did work at times to enhance the atmosphere and story, but it backfired in the end. There wasn't enough characterization and back-story and too many immersion-breaking deus ex machinas to make me feel more empathetic to the younger brother's losses at the conclusion, and frankly they--the characters and story--aren't memorable. I expected to have multiple endings based on how you interacted with the world, which was wasted opportunity. I did like the part where the younger brother had to overcome obstacles that he couldn't before on his own, but that sadly didn't reach the depth and impact it could've been.

I may replay in brief sessions for the atmosphere or as a brief reminder of how to improve stories for games.
  50. Jan 3, 2015
    Wow. What an amazing experience. The premise that you control each brothers with a thumbstick is genius. It makes your connection to them (through gameplay) even larger. The story itself isn't really something we haven't seen before, but the presentation of the story is so engrossing with it's minimalistic approach. Quite frankly, a very unique and spectacular game. I also thought theWow. What an amazing experience. The premise that you control each brothers with a thumbstick is genius. It makes your connection to them (through gameplay) even larger. The story itself isn't really something we haven't seen before, but the presentation of the story is so engrossing with it's minimalistic approach. Quite frankly, a very unique and spectacular game. I also thought the lenght of the game was perfect, clocking in at about three hours. Expand
  51. Dec 30, 2014
    A journey that captures the heart and soul. It's difficult to put it into words but everything about this is just wonderful. The simplicity in everything is overwhelming and combining it with the graphics and story-- it's just magical. To some extent, this reminds me of Shadow of the Colossus--- maybe its because it tells so much without a single understandable word. As a fan of tragedy,A journey that captures the heart and soul. It's difficult to put it into words but everything about this is just wonderful. The simplicity in everything is overwhelming and combining it with the graphics and story-- it's just magical. To some extent, this reminds me of Shadow of the Colossus--- maybe its because it tells so much without a single understandable word. As a fan of tragedy, this game appeals to me, but as a human being who loves games, it just captures me. Undoubtedly one of the greatest games ever. Expand
  52. Dec 23, 2014
    I've heard great things about the story in this game. Being a huge fan of stories in games, i had to give it a go. Unfortunately, I wasn't impressed. The story was above average but I found it hard to care for the two main characters and their quest since the game doesn't use dialogue. The shortness of the game (3 hours long) doesn't help, either. The worst part however was the controlI've heard great things about the story in this game. Being a huge fan of stories in games, i had to give it a go. Unfortunately, I wasn't impressed. The story was above average but I found it hard to care for the two main characters and their quest since the game doesn't use dialogue. The shortness of the game (3 hours long) doesn't help, either. The worst part however was the control scheme. You have to use a controller since you control both brothers simultaneously. It soon becomes a chore to play and the only real reason to continue is for the story. Expand
  53. Dec 2, 2014
    It's "ten points" if you judge its creativity: The landscape is beautiful and very diverse. The world is drafted in detail - wonderful :-)
    HOWEVER, according to my opinion, there are two major flaws in the plot:
    HOWEVER, according to my opinion, there are two major flaws in the plot:
    First, the game stays not true to itself. It starts as a childrens' tale with a giggling grandma and similar stuff - and in the second half of the game you suddenfly find yourself on a battlefield with blood all over. While I usually like games with gore, I didn't like it in this game. In fact, it spoiled the experience. How special this game could have been if it simply stayed true to it's fairy tale flair. But no: It has to bring in senseless violence plus a macabre sense of humor (e.g. when you destroy frozen people).
    Second (SPOILER!!!), it's the ending: I am a Game of Thrones fan so I am not shocked anymore when main characters die surprisingly. But in this game, the girl that's supposed to fall in love with the main character turns out to be the villain and, moreover, the main character dies. This simply breaks with the atmosphere. I've seen many people praising this "unconventional" ending, but those are the types of people that always praise if something is different (so you can talk about it and feel good that you like the special thing even though it's stupid). This was a fairy tale and, imo, it should have ended as such. You could have even played it with your children then...
    Therefore: Just a three out of ten. I was REALLY unsatisfied afterwards.
  54. Nov 13, 2014
    Brothers is an isometric quasi-platform game with a lot of storytelling. The emphasis of the game is the storytelling and the visual art, which is stunning even on a low-end PC. The sounds are very interesting, although some of the songs get repetitive by the end. There are some puzzles which take a little thought, but nothing too difficult. Overall the game is quite easy, althoughBrothers is an isometric quasi-platform game with a lot of storytelling. The emphasis of the game is the storytelling and the visual art, which is stunning even on a low-end PC. The sounds are very interesting, although some of the songs get repetitive by the end. There are some puzzles which take a little thought, but nothing too difficult. Overall the game is quite easy, although engaging for the most part.

As a kind of interactive storybook, this game is a great success. Even though there is no dialogue (the characters speak in gibberish) there is a lot of drama in the story. The scenery is extremely well done, and there are a lot of extra touches to give the brothers personality.

As a game there are hits and misses. The dual-character-control idea is quite clever, and there are some cool things that you can do with this scheme. The potential of this concept is not fully realized, some of the same kinds of puzzles appear multiple times. There are a lot of puzzles, but most only take a minute or so of contemplation to see the answer. This is good for keeping the story moving, but it made the game somewhat easy and short.

If you are into a game that is a kind of work of art, and is cleverly designed, this is the game for you. If you are looking for a hard-core challenge, this game may disappoint you.
  55. Nov 1, 2014
    Visually stunning with a unique game mechanic that has you flowing through a norse fairytale while giving your coordinative skills a sweaty workout.

To me, the story was quite meh. But I have friends who almost shed tears on their playthrough, so the quality of the story seems to be a case of who you are and what mood you're in. However, this games real trait is being a quick, coordinative, beautiful adventure, and I couldn't demand for it to have a much more fleshed out storytelling in the short time it takes to play it through. Just great!
  56. Sep 22, 2014
    Obrigado jogos indies sempre me surpreendendo, Melhor jogo de PC de 2013 e Melhor jogo INDIE de 2013...........................................................
  57. Sep 19, 2014
    This game is superb for what it is designed to be - an interactive adventure story. It is not too challenging, and not very long, but it is a beautiful piece of art and has a very unique feel. Very pleased with the experience overall.
  58. Sep 12, 2014
    A Tale of Two Sons is a video game as art and music. The puzzles are easy and short, and the game starts out feeling like something intended for children, but the story gets some adult themes half way through.
  59. Sep 9, 2014
    This game left a bad taste in my mouth, sadly.

It started out great. The music on the title screen was superb and the graphics were beautiful. The environments throughout the first half of the game were awe-inspiring. The aspect of controlling both brothers at once was annoying at times but not too bothersome. I'm still not a fan of that aspect overall, though. At first, I thought
    This game left a bad taste in my mouth, sadly.

At first, I thought "wow, this will be a great game for my nephew, he will love this" until it suddenly turned teen rated (maybe even mature) halfway through, which was unnecessary. Still, I was really enjoying the exploration/journey, it felt so magical. However, the last 1/4 of the game ruined it for me. There was no climax, which I was expecting. I imagined this massive tree that would eventually appear in some grand valley, etc. but that was not the case. The ending just came out of nowhere and was very dull. I did not like the overly dramatic seriousness of it. I actually quit the game out of frustration due to a glitch during the very last cinematic and never went back to watch it again.

Very disappointing.
  60. Sep 2, 2014
    A breath of fresh air in indie game dev and gaming overall. Interesting story and deep connection to the characters, through beautiful art style and simplicity of play. A must play game...
  61. Aug 24, 2014
    Very short (as expected) even if playing very slowly. It is a deep adventure full of feelings, it is a poem. I am not really familiar with the nordic culture, but it is a wonderful adventure worth to be played more than one time (achievements are also not easy to find, and no description will be given). Stunning scenery, wonderful graphics, and it looks amazing in 3D if you like 3D. 90/100
  62. Aug 18, 2014
    Can't say I enjoyed the game gameplay wise. Too repetitive and automated. The story is Ghibli-grade but the lack of voice acting and dull environments(great ideas, just not enough color and detail) killed it for me.
  63. Aug 9, 2014
    I just beat this game a couple of hours ago and man was it good! I see a lot of reviews that this game was too short but I thought it was just right. the story was excellent!! I feel like this game will resonate with me for a good while. excellent game!! 12/10
  64. Aug 7, 2014
    This is a truly Powerful Adventure Story Driven Game. It is a Masterpiece it deeply affected me Art Style is Gorgeous, The Narrative is Powerful, and the Gameplay is Unique. If you haven't played this your doing yourself an INJUSTICE I hope they make sequel to continue the Story I want more of this and I wish we had more games like this.
  65. Jul 31, 2014
    The game has a beautiful art style, some interesting side characters, decent music, inventive mechanics and some powerful emotional moments.
    But it feels like they missed an opportunity to make a game that could have been so much more. I wanted to know more about the world and its inhabitants, more puzzles with some challenge (all too easy), more mechanics, some actual dialogue (or some written notes, books, history, etc.) , some more side quests. and just MORE of everything. The game is only 3 hours long and very linear. That's the real shame here: there are plenty of bad games that I want to stop or end but this feels like a good game that had only just begun...
  66. Jul 29, 2014
    I played this game without knowing much about it. I bought it on a steam sale and didn't play it until month later, convinced it probably wasn't that special. I was wrong. At first it seemed to be exactly what I expected: a simple little puzzle game with an original mechanic/gimmick (controlling two characters at the same time). Nice graphics, fun little puzzles, but nothing extraordinary.I played this game without knowing much about it. I bought it on a steam sale and didn't play it until month later, convinced it probably wasn't that special. I was wrong. At first it seemed to be exactly what I expected: a simple little puzzle game with an original mechanic/gimmick (controlling two characters at the same time). Nice graphics, fun little puzzles, but nothing extraordinary. The longer I played the more it struck me how great the game looked though, with lots of different areas, from meadows to caves to the remains of war to frozen villages and beautiful lakes again. Also the puzzles kept varying constantly, so it never got repetitive. However, the best part about the game is the story. It starts with a very simple plot: save sick dad by traveling to some distant place to get a cure. Perfect little plot for a little game, I figured. For a long time it didn't seem to be any more than that, but the game has a big trick up it's sleeve and it's innocent appearance is part of it. Expand
  67. Jul 25, 2014
    Everything about this game is made to perfection, or at least close to perfection.
    The sounds are great, the aesthetics are great, the use of the control is amazing.
    The characters represent emotion perfectly.

have to say though, the gameplay is potentially boring.
  68. Jul 23, 2014
    It every sense of the word this is a piece of art. Great music, story and beautiful locations. While at times the puzzles and game play is either repetitive and tedious well worth it for the overall experience.
  69. Jul 20, 2014
    Great visuals and a really well done story considering there's no speech involved in the game whatsoever. Although the graphics might lead you to believe this is a cute kids game there are some darker parts and the end is a little emotional. The controls can be a bit frustrating, but at the same time it was really fun to be both characters at once. Definitely worth a purchase if you get itGreat visuals and a really well done story considering there's no speech involved in the game whatsoever. Although the graphics might lead you to believe this is a cute kids game there are some darker parts and the end is a little emotional. The controls can be a bit frustrating, but at the same time it was really fun to be both characters at once. Definitely worth a purchase if you get it on sale, otherwise $15 seems a little steep. Expand
  70. Jul 19, 2014
    It's a beautiful game with excellent soundtrack and a decent story, although somewhat cliché, it's still interesting on its own merits. There isn't too much action in the game except a few puzzles that aren't that hard to figure out and a few encounters where you have to "defeat" certain enemies.

That being said, it's a great game to play if you are in the mood of playing storytelling games where you basically have to imagine all the dialogue by yourself, which doesn't take away from the game at all. The game is very linear, which kinda cuts exploration down a notch with the exception of a few sections of the game where you can perform a few actions to get steam achievements. It's not a long game, it can be beat in about 3 hours and probably has no point to be played after you beat it unless you are a completionist.

It's a $10-$15 dollar game, but I got it on sale for about $5 I'd guess. It was well worth it, still better than a lot of crap you watch on TV or cinema nowadays.

Also, make sure you have a 2 joystick controller like xbox 360 ones because playing it on a keyboard is probably not recommended since the way the game was developed (you control both characters at the same time) kinda demands it.
  71. Jul 17, 2014
    A superb indie game. It's a light puzzle game, and many of the puzzles are even optional - in discussions with friends, I've discovered that I fixed some problems that they did not. In fact, it's better to call it a "problem-fixing" adventure than a puzzle game, because this is a story about a journey of healing. It begins with the severe sickness of the father of the two protagonists, andA superb indie game. It's a light puzzle game, and many of the puzzles are even optional - in discussions with friends, I've discovered that I fixed some problems that they did not. In fact, it's better to call it a "problem-fixing" adventure than a puzzle game, because this is a story about a journey of healing. It begins with the severe sickness of the father of the two protagonists, and as they search for the rare medicinal plant that can cure him, they find more people in need of their help. It's a thing of beauty that works hard on your emotions, despite telling its story without the use of words. Expand
  72. Jul 9, 2014
    One of the most intensive Story i've ever played! This Game has an awesome atmosphere and is just awesome to play. i played it for a Let's Play and i almost did it in 1 Part. Atmosphere 10/10! Only Bad Point: its definitly too short. it took me around 3,5h to finish it. Possible to do it faster.
    If you like the Style of Fable, if u are open for a heavy breathtaking Story, THIS GAME is MUST-HAVE for you. For everyone else its still i very good Game!
  73. Jul 7, 2014
    Just finished it. It was an amazing journey. Loved the level design, puzzles but the overall heart of it. The art is beautiful, environments are beautiful. Controls can be awkward at time but playing with a controller might help.
  74. Jul 2, 2014
    The game is incredibly beautiful and the story is also really fascinating and really sucks you in.
    Unfortunately the game-play isn't terribly exciting or varying. Also it's a bit short with no real reason to play it all over again. Through this I have to say that the two hours this play through took was emotional and really great hours spent gaming.
  75. Jun 29, 2014
    Потрясающая игра, совсем не сложная, добрая сказка. Сыграйте, совершенно точно не пожалеете :)
  76. Jun 26, 2014
    My vote for Game Of The Year.
    This is more fun than Titanfall!
    *Innovative Game-Play That The Industry Needs
    **Nicely Done, Starbreeze!
    -Very Well Delivered Story With Unique Gameplay-
  77. Jun 25, 2014
    This is the second time I give a 10/10 review, the other one was for GTA V, and this game is the total opposite of it.

I played this in local coop mode, each one being one of the brothers. You get carried away by the story, the beautiful landscape, the hidden gems. They do not speak, or at least you can't understand, but you still get the emotion, laughing and crying along with them.

The puzzles are not that hard, and you'll finish the game in 3 hours, but for the price, it is worth it.

Conclusion : A must-have for everybody, just relax and listen to their story !
  78. Jun 25, 2014
    Amazing story, unique game play! Picked this up for $2.99 at the Steam Summer Sale, I feel like I ripped the studio off for not paying more. I would have gladly paid the $14.99 asking price. This game is a emotional roller coaster taking you through the journey of these two brothers. Pick this up!
  79. Jun 19, 2014
    One of the most moving games i have ever played. I became fully enthralled by the plight of the characters. Graphically beautiful, and, although only 3 hours long, fantastic story in my opinion.
  80. Jun 4, 2014
    Overall Rating: D+

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a fairly original game where you control two brothers simultaneously, one with each joystick on your controller. Given its incredibly high Metacritic rating and uniqueness, one would think this would be a good game. Sadly, it is not. Story The story of this game is supposed to be one of its big draws. It is, essentially, the
    Overall Rating: D+

Story

The story of this game is supposed to be one of its big draws. It is, essentially, the quintessential sad story. The brothers' mother drowns, their father gets sick, and it falls to the two of them to go through the world, overcoming challenges to get the cure for him. The story, as it were, is very sparse; there's a few moments where the brothers help out each other, such as the big brother diving in to help the younger one throughout one level, and then at the end of the game, when the big brother gets hurt, it is the little brother's turn to help out.
    It ends with the older brother dying just before the cure gets to him, the brother returning home with the cure for his father, and them kneeling before the mother's and brother's graves.
    The characters all speak in simlish, and ultimately communicate via gestures. Unfortunately, the net effect of this was to make me not care about them at all; I understood their personalities to some extent, but I never connected to them as people, and thus I didn't ever really care about them. Indeed, the very nature of the game - using the two brothers as pieces to solve the puzzles - really divorced me from caring about them.

Gameplay

This game is interesting by being simultaneously innovative and mediocre. The underlying idea behind the game is clever - you control two characters and you have to use them to overcome various puzzles and challenges. There are times when you have to be moving both characters around at the same time, and times when one character stands there and holds a lever down (or just waits) for the other brother to do stuff.
    The game is at its best when you need to use both brothers at once to do stuff, but unfortunately, while the gameplay mechanic sounds really neat, it actually gets pretty old after a while; most of the puzzles are fundamentally fairly similar, and while you do various actions, none of the puzzles are particularly difficult or challenging. It generally is very obvious what you are supposed to do, which sounds like a good thing until you realize that it means that the game is more or less leading you by the nose throughout its length. There's only a few points at which the mechanics are all that interesting; for much of the rest of the game, after the beginning, you're more or less repeating yourself, with the odd new puzzle added in.
    The game did do something fairly clever at the end, though; after the older brother dies, the younger brother is left on his own. Throughout the rest of the game, the younger brother has been afraid of swimming, having to cling to his older brother for support when in the water. At the very end of the game, he is faced with no choice but to swim, and the controller vibrates as you push up to the edge of the water; only by using the older brother's action button can you swim across it. You also have to summon his strength again to pull down a lever which previously only he could move.
    Unfortunately, while this was clever, it wasn't very deep, and that's the trouble with the whole game - it is very shallow.

Graphics

The graphics of the game are okay but not amazing; the characters are all cartoony, but they aren't quite high polygon enough to really look as good as they should. There are some moments in the game where things are very pretty looking, but on the whole, it isn't nearly so nice looking.

Final Summary

Brothers has an interesting central mechanic, but unfortunately the overall game is very shallow. It is pretty short - clocking in at about 4 hours in length for 100% completion, less if you don't explore all the areas fully - but even in that time it gets repetitive. It is not worth your time.
  81. Jun 1, 2014
    One of the best single player games i have ever played in my life, the setting art style characters the music it really get's you inn, cried at the end to, such a good game, i prey they make another one a sequel.
  82. May 29, 2014
    Innovative game-play and controls scheme, beautiful environments and artistic style, touching story, interesting spatial puzzles ... quite short (less than 5 hours) but I still highly recommend it to everybody willing to try something non-standard and different.
  83. May 22, 2014
    Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a culmination of the gameplay-free game trend. The only real obstacle between you and your destination is the unruly control scheme (which adds nothing to the game, as controlling a single character at a time and switching between them would let you do all the things you need to do without all the confusion), as almost all of the "puzzles" have immediatelyBrothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a culmination of the gameplay-free game trend. The only real obstacle between you and your destination is the unruly control scheme (which adds nothing to the game, as controlling a single character at a time and switching between them would let you do all the things you need to do without all the confusion), as almost all of the "puzzles" have immediately obvious solutions (normally the only thing that looks like it can be interacted with). The lack of characterization renders the later portions of the game, which I'm sure were meant to be emotional and hard-hitting, laughable; the fact that the characters express themselves using a made-up language does not help either. The only good thing about the game are the graphics, which are quite pretty indeed, although they do suffer from asset-reuse: I have come across 5 identical broken ladders throughout the game. Expand
  84. Apr 12, 2014
    A wonderful fairy tale with a strong ending. A journey well scripted. Love, determination, struggle of the brothers amazingly expressed. One of the best games of the year.
  85. Apr 6, 2014
    Fantastic Game. Deeply touching, interesting story with very good imagination! And it made me sad for the rest of the day after I have finished it, no game has ever done that to me before.
  86. Apr 5, 2014
    All I will say about this game is, play it on your own in one sitting (2-3 hours). Stick with it, let yourself become immersed in the world. Enjoy it and see it through to the end.

I feel sorry for the reviewers on here who did not grasp the significance of the ending. Most will, however, and (although I won't spoil anything) I will say that no game I have ever played in over 20 years has had such an emotional effect on me. You have to experience it for yourself to understand.
  87. Mar 27, 2014
    OMG the game is not that good. It is very sort and the puzzles are pretty simple to solve. The story is a basic tragedy that does not make it great.

Pro: Fun controlling two characters with one controller, beautiful and interesting landscape. Cons: You lose even if you win (AKA chick flick story line) puzzles are easy to solve (makes Lego games' puzzles feel complex), very short

Cons: You lose even if you win (AKA chick flick story line) puzzles are easy to solve (makes Lego games' puzzles feel complex), very short game with very limited replay-ability.

What the game is worth to feel good about the purchase $3. Wait for the steam 75% off sale.
  88. gic
    Mar 26, 2014
    This interactive journey featuring touching story is an absolute piece of art that you would not want to miss. Breathtaking environment is backed up by a truly memorable music.
  89. Mar 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game show that games industry still alive, for now. This game is original, with new mechanic to play, new challenges, a enviroment amazing, the game has not words just expressions. Beatiful soundtrack, good physics and a good graphic (good job with Unreal Engine). In the begin I was thought that game was very single and to kids, but I was wrong the it was designed to people that think and like to do this. Finally , Thankyou StarBreeze for this great game. Amazing history. Expand
  90. Mar 18, 2014
    I would give this game a 7 or an 8 but it has some fatal flaws which cannot be excused. In terms of positives, it is a unique approach to gameplay having to control the two characters at the same time and there are patches late into the game where you can start to feel a rhythm to it and you don't have to concentrate so hard on what you are doing and that feeling is rewarding. OverallI would give this game a 7 or an 8 but it has some fatal flaws which cannot be excused. In terms of positives, it is a unique approach to gameplay having to control the two characters at the same time and there are patches late into the game where you can start to feel a rhythm to it and you don't have to concentrate so hard on what you are doing and that feeling is rewarding. Overall though, the game itself doesn't feel that rewarding. The puzzles are fairly simple and the execution of them similarly so. What it does have is a fantastic mysterious atmosphere which is maintained by the surreal backdrops and the absence of understandable dialogue. However, to me the game felt a little bit rushed and I am justified by Steam in that claim as it tells me I have 4 hours in the game and that is having completed it once through. So the ending which is supposed to be touching and emotional doesn't quite hit home as I've barely gotten to know the two brothers. It seemed to me like the developers couldn't wait to get to the ending of the game and so the middle feels a little lacking. Where the game really falls down though is in some massive bugs which completely halted the game for me to the point where I had to google the solution to a puzzle only to find out I was doing it right but the game was broken. This was a common problem across forums and happened in two separate parts of the game requiring me to restart and redo some of the level. In a game so short these major flaws are hard to look past. There was also a third issue where I had to switch from using a controller to the keyboard even though the game had a warning saying that it required a controller to play. The reason I had to switch was because a part of the game was literally impossible using an Xbox 360 controller. Again I wasted so much time trying to figure out how to beat the puzzle only to find out I was doing it right but the game wouldn't let me progress. As well as that of course, I had to relearn how to control the game with the keyboard just so I could get past that part of the game, talk about shattering the immersion. So overall, it's a quaint little concept but it was extremely poorly executed and for a game which took around 4 hours to beat including time wasted due to bugs, it's hard to forgive such major issues. Expand
  91. Mar 17, 2014
    Last Played: March 2014
    PROS: + Everything, from character models to environments, is beautiful and the artistic direction is cohesive
    + Refreshingly, shows rather than tells a story CONS: - Start to finish beatable in less than three hours - Cranking elevators is so non-intuitive you may get stuck REVIEW: Got this game on Steam sale for $5 and for this price, it is a bargain. The
    Last Played: March 2014
    + Refreshingly, shows rather than tells a story
    CONS: - Start to finish beatable in less than three hours
    - Cranking elevators is so non-intuitive you may get stuck

REVIEW: Got this game on Steam sale for $5 and for this price, it is a bargain. The world looks and feels like a Grimm brothers’ fairy tale, where you skip from totally different backdrop to backdrop, though this is positive as well as negative. On the positive side the game’s artistic flavor never compromises the feel of ordinary characters in a supernatural and fantastic realm. Consistent with the Grimm story type however, is the “skipping” travel between areas where the protagonist has suddenly come to a completely different area with a completely different (and wholly unexplained) backstory. Whether you like this brand of storytelling or not is a personal preference, but I applaud the developers for having the guts to do what they wanted to do, exquisitely showing a rather simple story (there is not so much as a single written word or line of dialogue in the whole game, excepting menus and a control prompt or two).

On the complaints side, I do have to gripe that the game feels quite short, in fact having never played this game before most should be able to beat this in a single sitting if they choose. This raises some questions about value-for-money. Personally, I am of the opinion that if you can get this for less than the cost of a movie ticket where you live, you’ll get more entertainment out of this than whatever you could have seen there, but that’s just me. It certainly compares favorably with paying $60 for a trashy and forgettable 3-hour Call of Duty campaign, since you’ll actually remember what happened more than 10 minutes after you are done. No bugs to speak of, and controls are mostly fluid, but I do have one specific complaint: crank shafts in this game may be intuitive to some, but I tried every control scheme I could think of, and after five minutes stuck at the beginning of the game became convinced that I had a bug that was preventing me from moving on. Not so-when I looked up the supposed bug it turned out I just had to rotate the control sticks. However, a single counter-clockwise arrow could have saved me a few minutes of frustration and would have been trivially simple to include. Still, a fantastic experience, and I’d buy it again if I didn’t already own it.
  92. Mar 16, 2014
    Probably one of the most beautiful Indie games I've ever played. And I'm not solely talking about the graphics and the scenery, but also about the atmosphere and the lovable main characters. I haven't been as touched by a game in a long time, and man, did the ending leave me in a one big pile of emotions.

The game is short, but it's three hours well spent.
  93. Mar 6, 2014
    What a fantastic, heartbreaking and innovative little game with such a lovely story about two sons on their journey to find medicine for their dying father. Some scenes really let me sit in front of my tv with my eyes wide open. If you like games with new game mechanics and less action this is an absolutely must have.
  94. Mar 4, 2014
    Wow! I can't say how much I love this game. Every gamer has to experience this wonderful journey. The story is fantastic and so is the game-play. There is something very unique about this game which really touched me.
  95. Mar 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the first time I am writing a review for a game and am doing so out of the feeling that it is necessary after playing such a wonderful game. While there is virtually no challenge, you connect with the characters in this story in an amazing way only to leave you with a myriad of emotions at the end.
    As far as the people leaving negative reviews for it not being long enough, it wasn't a sixty dollar game. I got the game for five dollars and have seen it cheaper. Well worth the money, I'd buy it again and pay more.
  96. Feb 23, 2014
    This game is one of my favorite. I must say that it's a bit short, but it's not a bad things considering that it would probably get too much to bear in one gaming session, and this is where it's gets you to not lose your focus off the game. With a beautifully designed environment and well mixed sounds/musics, this games is able to make the player feel every emotions felt by the characters.This game is one of my favorite. I must say that it's a bit short, but it's not a bad things considering that it would probably get too much to bear in one gaming session, and this is where it's gets you to not lose your focus off the game. With a beautifully designed environment and well mixed sounds/musics, this games is able to make the player feel every emotions felt by the characters. There is no actual language nor subtitles in the game, but the emotions can do all the job of words. I really recommend this game to people who wants a relaxing yet mature experience in the gaming world. Expand
  97. Feb 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Прекрасная небольшая (часа на 3-4), не сложная, не детская сказка о двух братьях без диалогов, зато с удивительно разнообразным, трогающим за душу миром и оригинальным управлением, которого вы ещё не встречали (требуется джойстик). Графика выглядит устаревшей (Unreal engine), но панорамный вид спасает дело; музыка выше всяческих похвал.

Похожие игры (Ico, Journey) выходили раньше только на приставках. На этот раз производитель подумал и о нас, горячо рекомендую.
  98. Feb 21, 2014
    This game is fantastic. If you see it on sale, buy it. In all my time of playing video games, this is hands down one of my favorites (after "To the Moon" of course.) The story is very well written with awesome interactions to be made within the game, it makes it worth playing. The game was quite short 3-4 hours but I believe could be replayed a few times for the achievements. I rated thisThis game is fantastic. If you see it on sale, buy it. In all my time of playing video games, this is hands down one of my favorites (after "To the Moon" of course.) The story is very well written with awesome interactions to be made within the game, it makes it worth playing. The game was quite short 3-4 hours but I believe could be replayed a few times for the achievements. I rated this an 8/10 due to the length of the game, and honestly how easy it is. Besides that, lots of fun.

p.s. PLEASE GIVE ME A SEQUEL.
  99. Feb 19, 2014
    This game is amazing. The gameplay is groundbreaking, fluid and challenging at the same time. The puzzles are somewhat simple but fun to solve, and the storyline manages to be simply beautiful.

Touching, inspiring & innovator, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is one of the best games I've played so far.

(About 4 hours gameplay + 1 hour cutscene films & about U$10-15)
  100. Feb 18, 2014
    This game is fantastic. Touching story and you never want to stop playing. You want to do all you can to make sure the brothers complete their goal. Great setting and game play. One of the best games I have played in a while.

1. Oct 31, 2013
    Brothers, unlike many recent indie hits, is very down to earth. It is not rife with intellectual puzzles like Braid, it is not as open to interpretations as Journey. It just makes you think about simple human values.
  2. Oct 24, 2013
    A gorgeous world, bursting with personality. Great storytelling makes up for the short length and unchallenging puzzles.
  3. Oct 11, 2013
    Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a true marriage of gameplay and narrative, and it is frankly a complete triumph.