8.6

1. Apr 1, 2015
    The game is absolutely magnificent, unique and engaging, like a fairytale but with more maturity, even the main characters being children. A satisfying ending, with a great story told. I love the game, the same day that I had downloaded, I had already finished the game.
  2. Mar 21, 2015
    El juego lo tiene todo, es precioso, emocionante y no deja de impresionarte. Un juego pequeño que te hace muy grande. Si puedes comprarlo hazlo, sino consiguelo pirata pero juégalo, no te decepcionara.
  3. Mar 16, 2015
    If you don't like 'Brothers', then you simply don't like video games at all. Well, okay, maybe that's not entirely true and I may be a bit melodramatic when saying that, but I really can't figure out a reason why someone would dislike this game, other than the fact that it's pretty short. Although making this game longer would most likely deter from it's beauty. Simply put, this is one ofIf you don't like 'Brothers', then you simply don't like video games at all. Well, okay, maybe that's not entirely true and I may be a bit melodramatic when saying that, but I really can't figure out a reason why someone would dislike this game, other than the fact that it's pretty short. Although making this game longer would most likely deter from it's beauty. Simply put, this is one of the best and most original puzzle games that I have played in a while, and although it's not exactly the most difficult, the reward is in the storytelling. It's not easy to portray emotion in a video game without saying a word, but this game pulls it off in style.

While I agree that all video games, no matter how bad or good they are, are a form of art, this game is a shining example of it. Emotional storytelling combined with controls that make sense not only to the gameplay, but say even more on a narrative level, 'A Tale of Two Sons' shines the most when it comes to how we interact with the characters. By giving players the opportunity to control both brothers at once by utilizing the dual sticks on your gamepad, 'Brothers' takes storytelling through gameplay to a new level. This may sound difficult to control at first, but after a few minutes you'll get the hang of it and will often forget that you're controlling two people at the same time without much thought.

This game more than deserves the amount of praise that it has been given and I hope to see more video games that utilize this control concept. The art style here is fantastic, the variety in gameplay will keep you entertained the whole way through, and the puzzle elements although simplistic are incredibly fun when combined with the controls. The asking price may be a bit high for such a short game, but the next time this one is on sale, I would recommend picking it up to pretty much anyone.
  4. Mar 11, 2015
    Brothers is never very difficult but given the aim seems to be to develop a relationship between the brothers and the player a more difficult game with more deaths probably would have killed the pacing and thus been detrimental to the growth of the relationship. I feel like the game should have felt more dangerous at times for greater contrast, though the couple of times that it was moreBrothers is never very difficult but given the aim seems to be to develop a relationship between the brothers and the player a more difficult game with more deaths probably would have killed the pacing and thus been detrimental to the growth of the relationship. I feel like the game should have felt more dangerous at times for greater contrast, though the couple of times that it was more dangerous the game-play suffered. Otherwise fantastic game. Expand
  5. Mar 8, 2015
    This game is unique thanks to its absence of dialogues, you can only guess what the characters are trying to say from their nonverbal communication. It doesn't hurt the story though, instead of listening to cliche phrases you can imagine your own conversations.
    The Two brothers complement each other in order to overcome obstacles and puzzles. The puzzles are not particularly challenging, but that keeps the story flowing and frustration at bay. Instead of trying hard and being mad at the game, you can admire the beautiful environment, scenery and music. Also this game convinced me to buy a gamepad. You can play it with keyboard too, but the controls are much more intuitive and immersive with a gamepad.
    Game is fairly short but i think the length is just right to keep the story intense. Also the game mechanics are not complex enough to keep you interested for longer period.
    Although the game seems peaceful, you will get your share of adrenaline and fighting.
    In my opinion the main strength of the game is it's streamlined and polished feel, that lets you fully embrace the emotions this game stirs up.
    All of the above makes a very immersive game that now holds a special place in my heart.
  6. Feb 6, 2015
    Brothers is a game you want to like and love, but unfortunately, it just doesn't carry the epic weight you expect it to. It looks nice, it sounds nice, and it feels nice, but the story is short, uncomplicated, and anticlimactic. If you're a 10 year old who suffered from a family that fell apart and you're looking for a coping mechanism to help get over it, this would be a decentBrothers is a game you want to like and love, but unfortunately, it just doesn't carry the epic weight you expect it to. It looks nice, it sounds nice, and it feels nice, but the story is short, uncomplicated, and anticlimactic. If you're a 10 year old who suffered from a family that fell apart and you're looking for a coping mechanism to help get over it, this would be a decent experience, but aside from that, it will leave you empty, vain, and asking for a whole lot more. The game's for free right now in the first half of February on XBox 360's Games with Gold, so download it if you're curious about the hype, but definitely don't buy it. Expand
  7. Jan 28, 2015
    بازیش خیلی خیلی خیلی خوبه بازی با گیمپلی متنوع و لوکیشن های متنوع و محیط های جور باجور و گرافیکی دل نشین و داستانی جذاب به هم توصیه میکنم حتما بازیش کنید بازیش عالیست
  8. Jan 17, 2015
    Oh boy. Where can I start with this one.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a small Adventure game based on two brothers, who after losing their mother, must go on a quest to retrieve something to help their sick father. A usually simple premise. However, the gameplay is unique in that it's co-op... with yourself. You control both brothers; with a controller, the analogue sticks and
    Oh boy. Where can I start with this one.

However, the gameplay is unique in that it's co-op... with yourself. You control both brothers; with a controller, the analogue sticks and triggers are dedicated to each brother, while if playing via keyboard, the WASD keys control one and the arrow keys control the other. There is very much a sense of trying to pat your head and rub your stomach at the same time, using these controls. At first, while travelling the world is relatively easy, you may struggle but soon you get used to it.

The world itself is beautiful to wander around. It looks like an oil painting come to life, with many inhabitants and objects available to interact with in both humerus and very moving ways. They breathe a certain kind of life in this game that only few games actually achieve. The landscapes become more and more epic as you progress. One certain area (and how you manoeuvre this area) left my mouth agape for it's entirety. You'll know which one this is.

Although it starts out almost child-like, the themes become very dark, quite quickly. You'll stumble across some helpless individuals, which require assistance. The story-telling of these, even though the dialogue is not a known language, can be an emotional experience.

And emotions run very high in this game. I completed this in one 3 hour setting (recommended), and 3 days later, it is still sitting with me. Towards the end, you might even find it hard to continue due to it's emotionally draining circumstances.

Definitely one of the best Indie games I've played.
  9. Jan 10, 2015
    Pros:
    +Beautiful, varied artwork and atmosphere
    +Some interesting puzzles/action, especially the "boss fights" +Innovative gameplay: you control 2 characters at once +Good Celtic-style music +Dark undertones in an otherwise visually beautiful, bright world that were handled well Cons: -Most puzzles were far too simple and easy -Little re-playability -Lack of dialogue and
    Pros:
    +Beautiful, varied artwork and atmosphere
    +Some interesting puzzles/action, especially the "boss fights"
    +Innovative gameplay: you control 2 characters at once
    +Good Celtic-style music

Cons:
    -Most puzzles were far too simple and easy
    -Little re-playability
    -Lack of dialogue and character background ultimately worked against the story, esp. in the end
    -Clunky controls
    -Very little exploration
    -Short game that lasts under 6 hours

I received this as a gift, so I knew next-to-nothing about this game. I wasn't terribly disappointed, but I wasn't terribly surprised that I rated it lower than the overwhelmingly positive critic and user scores.

The Brothers Grimm-like environments and the seamless transitions akin to Miyazaki's Spirited Away impressed me, but the bad controls and the simplistic, repetitive puzzles didn't. The good idea of controlling two characters at once was marred by the mechanic of often holding down keys to save them from certain death, which struck me as lazy and unnecessarily frustrating difficulty. I would've much preferred cutting down that in half or to none in exchange for intellectually difficult puzzles that required at least *some* ambidexterity.

The untranslated gibberish for dialogue was odd, and it did work at times to enhance the atmosphere and story, but it backfired in the end. There wasn't enough characterization and back-story and too many immersion-breaking deus ex machinas to make me feel more empathetic to the younger brother's losses at the conclusion, and frankly they--the characters and story--aren't memorable. I expected to have multiple endings based on how you interacted with the world, which was wasted opportunity. I did like the part where the younger brother had to overcome obstacles that he couldn't before on his own, but that sadly didn't reach the depth and impact it could've been.

I may replay in brief sessions for the atmosphere or as a brief reminder of how to improve stories for games.
  10. Jan 3, 2015
    Wow. What an amazing experience. The premise that you control each brothers with a thumbstick is genius. It makes your connection to them (through gameplay) even larger. The story itself isn't really something we haven't seen before, but the presentation of the story is so engrossing with it's minimalistic approach. Quite frankly, a very unique and spectacular game. I also thought theWow. What an amazing experience. The premise that you control each brothers with a thumbstick is genius. It makes your connection to them (through gameplay) even larger. The story itself isn't really something we haven't seen before, but the presentation of the story is so engrossing with it's minimalistic approach. Quite frankly, a very unique and spectacular game. I also thought the lenght of the game was perfect, clocking in at about three hours. Expand
  11. Dec 30, 2014
    A journey that captures the heart and soul. It's difficult to put it into words but everything about this is just wonderful. The simplicity in everything is overwhelming and combining it with the graphics and story-- it's just magical. To some extent, this reminds me of Shadow of the Colossus--- maybe its because it tells so much without a single understandable word. As a fan of tragedy,A journey that captures the heart and soul. It's difficult to put it into words but everything about this is just wonderful. The simplicity in everything is overwhelming and combining it with the graphics and story-- it's just magical. To some extent, this reminds me of Shadow of the Colossus--- maybe its because it tells so much without a single understandable word. As a fan of tragedy, this game appeals to me, but as a human being who loves games, it just captures me. Undoubtedly one of the greatest games ever. Expand
  12. Dec 23, 2014
    I've heard great things about the story in this game. Being a huge fan of stories in games, i had to give it a go. Unfortunately, I wasn't impressed. The story was above average but I found it hard to care for the two main characters and their quest since the game doesn't use dialogue. The shortness of the game (3 hours long) doesn't help, either. The worst part however was the controlI've heard great things about the story in this game. Being a huge fan of stories in games, i had to give it a go. Unfortunately, I wasn't impressed. The story was above average but I found it hard to care for the two main characters and their quest since the game doesn't use dialogue. The shortness of the game (3 hours long) doesn't help, either. The worst part however was the control scheme. You have to use a controller since you control both brothers simultaneously. It soon becomes a chore to play and the only real reason to continue is for the story. Expand
  13. Dec 2, 2014
    It's "ten points" if you judge its creativity: The landscape is beautiful and very diverse. The world is drafted in detail - wonderful :-)
    HOWEVER, according to my opinion, there are two major flaws in the plot:
    HOWEVER, according to my opinion, there are two major flaws in the plot:
    First, the game stays not true to itself. It starts as a childrens' tale with a giggling grandma and similar stuff - and in the second half of the game you suddenfly find yourself on a battlefield with blood all over. While I usually like games with gore, I didn't like it in this game. In fact, it spoiled the experience. How special this game could have been if it simply stayed true to it's fairy tale flair. But no: It has to bring in senseless violence plus a macabre sense of humor (e.g. when you destroy frozen people).
    Second (SPOILER!!!), it's the ending: I am a Game of Thrones fan so I am not shocked anymore when main characters die surprisingly. But in this game, the girl that's supposed to fall in love with the main character turns out to be the villain and, moreover, the main character dies. This simply breaks with the atmosphere. I've seen many people praising this "unconventional" ending, but those are the types of people that always praise if something is different (so you can talk about it and feel good that you like the special thing even though it's stupid). This was a fairy tale and, imo, it should have ended as such. You could have even played it with your children then...
    Therefore: Just a three out of ten. I was REALLY unsatisfied afterwards.
  14. Nov 13, 2014
    Brothers is an isometric quasi-platform game with a lot of storytelling. The emphasis of the game is the storytelling and the visual art, which is stunning even on a low-end PC. The sounds are very interesting, although some of the songs get repetitive by the end. There are some puzzles which take a little thought, but nothing too difficult. Overall the game is quite easy, althoughBrothers is an isometric quasi-platform game with a lot of storytelling. The emphasis of the game is the storytelling and the visual art, which is stunning even on a low-end PC. The sounds are very interesting, although some of the songs get repetitive by the end. There are some puzzles which take a little thought, but nothing too difficult. Overall the game is quite easy, although engaging for the most part.

As a kind of interactive storybook, this game is a great success. Even though there is no dialogue (the characters speak in gibberish) there is a lot of drama in the story. The scenery is extremely well done, and there are a lot of extra touches to give the brothers personality.

As a game there are hits and misses. The dual-character-control idea is quite clever, and there are some cool things that you can do with this scheme. The potential of this concept is not fully realized, some of the same kinds of puzzles appear multiple times. There are a lot of puzzles, but most only take a minute or so of contemplation to see the answer. This is good for keeping the story moving, but it made the game somewhat easy and short.

If you are into a game that is a kind of work of art, and is cleverly designed, this is the game for you. If you are looking for a hard-core challenge, this game may disappoint you.
  15. Nov 1, 2014
    Visually stunning with a unique game mechanic that has you flowing through a norse fairytale while giving your coordinative skills a sweaty workout.

To me, the story was quite meh. But I have friends who almost shed tears on their playthrough, so the quality of the story seems to be a case of who you are and what mood you're in. However, this games real trait is being a quick, coordinative, beautiful adventure, and I couldn't demand for it to have a much more fleshed out storytelling in the short time it takes to play it through. Just great!
  16. Sep 22, 2014
    Obrigado jogos indies sempre me surpreendendo, Melhor jogo de PC de 2013 e Melhor jogo INDIE de 2013...........................................................
  17. Sep 19, 2014
    This game is superb for what it is designed to be - an interactive adventure story. It is not too challenging, and not very long, but it is a beautiful piece of art and has a very unique feel. Very pleased with the experience overall.
  18. Sep 12, 2014
    A Tale of Two Sons is a video game as art and music. The puzzles are easy and short, and the game starts out feeling like something intended for children, but the story gets some adult themes half way through.
  19. Sep 9, 2014
    This game left a bad taste in my mouth, sadly.

It started out great. The music on the title screen was superb and the graphics were beautiful. The environments throughout the first half of the game were awe-inspiring. The aspect of controlling both brothers at once was annoying at times but not too bothersome. I'm still not a fan of that aspect overall, though. At first, I thought
    This game left a bad taste in my mouth, sadly.

At first, I thought "wow, this will be a great game for my nephew, he will love this" until it suddenly turned teen rated (maybe even mature) halfway through, which was unnecessary. Still, I was really enjoying the exploration/journey, it felt so magical. However, the last 1/4 of the game ruined it for me. There was no climax, which I was expecting. I imagined this massive tree that would eventually appear in some grand valley, etc. but that was not the case. The ending just came out of nowhere and was very dull. I did not like the overly dramatic seriousness of it. I actually quit the game out of frustration due to a glitch during the very last cinematic and never went back to watch it again.

Very disappointing.
  20. Sep 2, 2014
    A breath of fresh air in indie game dev and gaming overall. Interesting story and deep connection to the characters, through beautiful art style and simplicity of play. A must play game...
  21. Aug 24, 2014
    Very short (as expected) even if playing very slowly. It is a deep adventure full of feelings, it is a poem. I am not really familiar with the nordic culture, but it is a wonderful adventure worth to be played more than one time (achievements are also not easy to find, and no description will be given). Stunning scenery, wonderful graphics, and it looks amazing in 3D if you like 3D. 90/100
  22. Aug 18, 2014
    Can't say I enjoyed the game gameplay wise. Too repetitive and automated. The story is Ghibli-grade but the lack of voice acting and dull environments(great ideas, just not enough color and detail) killed it for me.
  23. Aug 9, 2014
    I just beat this game a couple of hours ago and man was it good! I see a lot of reviews that this game was too short but I thought it was just right. the story was excellent!! I feel like this game will resonate with me for a good while. excellent game!! 12/10
  24. Aug 7, 2014
    This is a truly Powerful Adventure Story Driven Game. It is a Masterpiece it deeply affected me Art Style is Gorgeous, The Narrative is Powerful, and the Gameplay is Unique. If you haven't played this your doing yourself an INJUSTICE I hope they make sequel to continue the Story I want more of this and I wish we had more games like this.
  25. Jul 31, 2014
    The game has a beautiful art style, some interesting side characters, decent music, inventive mechanics and some powerful emotional moments.
    But it feels like they missed an opportunity to make a game that could have been so much more. I wanted to know more about the world and its inhabitants, more puzzles with some challenge (all too easy), more mechanics, some actual dialogue (or some written notes, books, history, etc.) , some more side quests. and just MORE of everything. The game is only 3 hours long and very linear. That's the real shame here: there are plenty of bad games that I want to stop or end but this feels like a good game that had only just begun...
  26. Jul 29, 2014
    I played this game without knowing much about it. I bought it on a steam sale and didn't play it until month later, convinced it probably wasn't that special. I was wrong. At first it seemed to be exactly what I expected: a simple little puzzle game with an original mechanic/gimmick (controlling two characters at the same time). Nice graphics, fun little puzzles, but nothing extraordinary.I played this game without knowing much about it. I bought it on a steam sale and didn't play it until month later, convinced it probably wasn't that special. I was wrong. At first it seemed to be exactly what I expected: a simple little puzzle game with an original mechanic/gimmick (controlling two characters at the same time). Nice graphics, fun little puzzles, but nothing extraordinary. The longer I played the more it struck me how great the game looked though, with lots of different areas, from meadows to caves to the remains of war to frozen villages and beautiful lakes again. Also the puzzles kept varying constantly, so it never got repetitive. However, the best part about the game is the story. It starts with a very simple plot: save sick dad by traveling to some distant place to get a cure. Perfect little plot for a little game, I figured. For a long time it didn't seem to be any more than that, but the game has a big trick up it's sleeve and it's innocent appearance is part of it. Expand
  27. Jul 25, 2014
    Everything about this game is made to perfection, or at least close to perfection.
    The sounds are great, the aesthetics are great, the use of the control is amazing.
    The characters represent emotion perfectly.

have to say though, the gameplay is potentially boring.
  28. Jul 23, 2014
    It every sense of the word this is a piece of art. Great music, story and beautiful locations. While at times the puzzles and game play is either repetitive and tedious well worth it for the overall experience.
  29. Jul 20, 2014
    Great visuals and a really well done story considering there's no speech involved in the game whatsoever. Although the graphics might lead you to believe this is a cute kids game there are some darker parts and the end is a little emotional. The controls can be a bit frustrating, but at the same time it was really fun to be both characters at once. Definitely worth a purchase if you get itGreat visuals and a really well done story considering there's no speech involved in the game whatsoever. Although the graphics might lead you to believe this is a cute kids game there are some darker parts and the end is a little emotional. The controls can be a bit frustrating, but at the same time it was really fun to be both characters at once. Definitely worth a purchase if you get it on sale, otherwise $15 seems a little steep. Expand
  30. Jul 19, 2014
    It's a beautiful game with excellent soundtrack and a decent story, although somewhat cliché, it's still interesting on its own merits. There isn't too much action in the game except a few puzzles that aren't that hard to figure out and a few encounters where you have to "defeat" certain enemies.

That being said, it's a great game to play if you are in the mood of playing storytelling games where you basically have to imagine all the dialogue by yourself, which doesn't take away from the game at all. The game is very linear, which kinda cuts exploration down a notch with the exception of a few sections of the game where you can perform a few actions to get steam achievements. It's not a long game, it can be beat in about 3 hours and probably has no point to be played after you beat it unless you are a completionist.

It's a $10-$15 dollar game, but I got it on sale for about $5 I'd guess. It was well worth it, still better than a lot of crap you watch on TV or cinema nowadays.

Also, make sure you have a 2 joystick controller like xbox 360 ones because playing it on a keyboard is probably not recommended since the way the game was developed (you control both characters at the same time) kinda demands it.
  31. Jul 17, 2014
    A superb indie game. It's a light puzzle game, and many of the puzzles are even optional - in discussions with friends, I've discovered that I fixed some problems that they did not. In fact, it's better to call it a "problem-fixing" adventure than a puzzle game, because this is a story about a journey of healing. It begins with the severe sickness of the father of the two protagonists, andA superb indie game. It's a light puzzle game, and many of the puzzles are even optional - in discussions with friends, I've discovered that I fixed some problems that they did not. In fact, it's better to call it a "problem-fixing" adventure than a puzzle game, because this is a story about a journey of healing. It begins with the severe sickness of the father of the two protagonists, and as they search for the rare medicinal plant that can cure him, they find more people in need of their help. It's a thing of beauty that works hard on your emotions, despite telling its story without the use of words. Expand
  32. Jul 9, 2014
    One of the most intensive Story i've ever played! This Game has an awesome atmosphere and is just awesome to play. i played it for a Let's Play and i almost did it in 1 Part. Atmosphere 10/10! Only Bad Point: its definitly too short. it took me around 3,5h to finish it. Possible to do it faster.
    If you like the Style of Fable, if u are open for a heavy breathtaking Story, THIS GAME is MUST-HAVE for you. For everyone else its still i very good Game!
  33. Jul 7, 2014
    Just finished it. It was an amazing journey. Loved the level design, puzzles but the overall heart of it. The art is beautiful, environments are beautiful. Controls can be awkward at time but playing with a controller might help.
  34. Jul 2, 2014
    The game is incredibly beautiful and the story is also really fascinating and really sucks you in.
    Unfortunately the game-play isn't terribly exciting or varying. Also it's a bit short with no real reason to play it all over again. Through this I have to say that the two hours this play through took was emotional and really great hours spent gaming.
  35. Jun 29, 2014
    Потрясающая игра, совсем не сложная, добрая сказка. Сыграйте, совершенно точно не пожалеете :)
  36. Jun 26, 2014
    My vote for Game Of The Year.
    This is more fun than Titanfall!
    *Innovative Game-Play That The Industry Needs
    **Nicely Done, Starbreeze!
    -Very Well Delivered Story With Unique Gameplay-
  37. Jun 25, 2014
    This is the second time I give a 10/10 review, the other one was for GTA V, and this game is the total opposite of it.

I played this in local coop mode, each one being one of the brothers. You get carried away by the story, the beautiful landscape, the hidden gems. They do not speak, or at least you can't understand, but you still get the emotion, laughing and crying along with them.

The puzzles are not that hard, and you'll finish the game in 3 hours, but for the price, it is worth it.

Conclusion : A must-have for everybody, just relax and listen to their story !
  38. Jun 25, 2014
    Amazing story, unique game play! Picked this up for $2.99 at the Steam Summer Sale, I feel like I ripped the studio off for not paying more. I would have gladly paid the $14.99 asking price. This game is a emotional roller coaster taking you through the journey of these two brothers. Pick this up!
  39. Jun 19, 2014
    One of the most moving games i have ever played. I became fully enthralled by the plight of the characters. Graphically beautiful, and, although only 3 hours long, fantastic story in my opinion.
  40. Jun 4, 2014
    Overall Rating: D+

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a fairly original game where you control two brothers simultaneously, one with each joystick on your controller. Given its incredibly high Metacritic rating and uniqueness, one would think this would be a good game. Sadly, it is not. Story The story of this game is supposed to be one of its big draws. It is, essentially, the
    Overall Rating: D+

Story

The story of this game is supposed to be one of its big draws. It is, essentially, the quintessential sad story. The brothers' mother drowns, their father gets sick, and it falls to the two of them to go through the world, overcoming challenges to get the cure for him. The story, as it were, is very sparse; there's a few moments where the brothers help out each other, such as the big brother diving in to help the younger one throughout one level, and then at the end of the game, when the big brother gets hurt, it is the little brother's turn to help out.
    It ends with the older brother dying just before the cure gets to him, the brother returning home with the cure for his father, and them kneeling before the mother's and brother's graves.
    The characters all speak in simlish, and ultimately communicate via gestures. Unfortunately, the net effect of this was to make me not care about them at all; I understood their personalities to some extent, but I never connected to them as people, and thus I didn't ever really care about them. Indeed, the very nature of the game - using the two brothers as pieces to solve the puzzles - really divorced me from caring about them.

Gameplay

This game is interesting by being simultaneously innovative and mediocre. The underlying idea behind the game is clever - you control two characters and you have to use them to overcome various puzzles and challenges. There are times when you have to be moving both characters around at the same time, and times when one character stands there and holds a lever down (or just waits) for the other brother to do stuff.
    The game is at its best when you need to use both brothers at once to do stuff, but unfortunately, while the gameplay mechanic sounds really neat, it actually gets pretty old after a while; most of the puzzles are fundamentally fairly similar, and while you do various actions, none of the puzzles are particularly difficult or challenging. It generally is very obvious what you are supposed to do, which sounds like a good thing until you realize that it means that the game is more or less leading you by the nose throughout its length. There's only a few points at which the mechanics are all that interesting; for much of the rest of the game, after the beginning, you're more or less repeating yourself, with the odd new puzzle added in.
    The game did do something fairly clever at the end, though; after the older brother dies, the younger brother is left on his own. Throughout the rest of the game, the younger brother has been afraid of swimming, having to cling to his older brother for support when in the water. At the very end of the game, he is faced with no choice but to swim, and the controller vibrates as you push up to the edge of the water; only by using the older brother's action button can you swim across it. You also have to summon his strength again to pull down a lever which previously only he could move.
    Unfortunately, while this was clever, it wasn't very deep, and that's the trouble with the whole game - it is very shallow.

Graphics

The graphics of the game are okay but not amazing; the characters are all cartoony, but they aren't quite high polygon enough to really look as good as they should. There are some moments in the game where things are very pretty looking, but on the whole, it isn't nearly so nice looking.

Final Summary

Brothers has an interesting central mechanic, but unfortunately the overall game is very shallow. It is pretty short - clocking in at about 4 hours in length for 100% completion, less if you don't explore all the areas fully - but even in that time it gets repetitive. It is not worth your time.
  41. Jun 1, 2014
    One of the best single player games i have ever played in my life, the setting art style characters the music it really get's you inn, cried at the end to, such a good game, i prey they make another one a sequel.
  42. May 29, 2014
    Innovative game-play and controls scheme, beautiful environments and artistic style, touching story, interesting spatial puzzles ... quite short (less than 5 hours) but I still highly recommend it to everybody willing to try something non-standard and different.
  43. May 22, 2014
    Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a culmination of the gameplay-free game trend. The only real obstacle between you and your destination is the unruly control scheme (which adds nothing to the game, as controlling a single character at a time and switching between them would let you do all the things you need to do without all the confusion), as almost all of the "puzzles" have immediatelyBrothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a culmination of the gameplay-free game trend. The only real obstacle between you and your destination is the unruly control scheme (which adds nothing to the game, as controlling a single character at a time and switching between them would let you do all the things you need to do without all the confusion), as almost all of the "puzzles" have immediately obvious solutions (normally the only thing that looks like it can be interacted with). The lack of characterization renders the later portions of the game, which I'm sure were meant to be emotional and hard-hitting, laughable; the fact that the characters express themselves using a made-up language does not help either. The only good thing about the game are the graphics, which are quite pretty indeed, although they do suffer from asset-reuse: I have come across 5 identical broken ladders throughout the game. Expand
  44. Apr 12, 2014
    A wonderful fairy tale with a strong ending. A journey well scripted. Love, determination, struggle of the brothers amazingly expressed. One of the best games of the year.
  45. Apr 6, 2014
    Fantastic Game. Deeply touching, interesting story with very good imagination! And it made me sad for the rest of the day after I have finished it, no game has ever done that to me before.
  46. Apr 5, 2014
    All I will say about this game is, play it on your own in one sitting (2-3 hours). Stick with it, let yourself become immersed in the world. Enjoy it and see it through to the end.

I feel sorry for the reviewers on here who did not grasp the significance of the ending. Most will, however, and (although I won't spoil anything) I will say that no game I have ever played in over 20 years has had such an emotional effect on me. You have to experience it for yourself to understand.
  47. Mar 27, 2014
    OMG the game is not that good. It is very sort and the puzzles are pretty simple to solve. The story is a basic tragedy that does not make it great.

Pro: Fun controlling two characters with one controller, beautiful and interesting landscape. Cons: You lose even if you win (AKA chick flick story line) puzzles are easy to solve (makes Lego games' puzzles feel complex), very short

Cons: You lose even if you win (AKA chick flick story line) puzzles are easy to solve (makes Lego games' puzzles feel complex), very short game with very limited replay-ability.

What the game is worth to feel good about the purchase $3. Wait for the steam 75% off sale.
  48. gic
    Mar 26, 2014
    This interactive journey featuring touching story is an absolute piece of art that you would not want to miss. Breathtaking environment is backed up by a truly memorable music.
  49. Mar 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game show that games industry still alive, for now. This game is original, with new mechanic to play, new challenges, a enviroment amazing, the game has not words just expressions. Beatiful soundtrack, good physics and a good graphic (good job with Unreal Engine). In the begin I was thought that game was very single and to kids, but I was wrong the it was designed to people that think and like to do this. Finally , Thankyou StarBreeze for this great game. Amazing history. Expand
  50. Mar 18, 2014
    I would give this game a 7 or an 8 but it has some fatal flaws which cannot be excused. In terms of positives, it is a unique approach to gameplay having to control the two characters at the same time and there are patches late into the game where you can start to feel a rhythm to it and you don't have to concentrate so hard on what you are doing and that feeling is rewarding. OverallI would give this game a 7 or an 8 but it has some fatal flaws which cannot be excused. In terms of positives, it is a unique approach to gameplay having to control the two characters at the same time and there are patches late into the game where you can start to feel a rhythm to it and you don't have to concentrate so hard on what you are doing and that feeling is rewarding. Overall though, the game itself doesn't feel that rewarding. The puzzles are fairly simple and the execution of them similarly so. What it does have is a fantastic mysterious atmosphere which is maintained by the surreal backdrops and the absence of understandable dialogue. However, to me the game felt a little bit rushed and I am justified by Steam in that claim as it tells me I have 4 hours in the game and that is having completed it once through. So the ending which is supposed to be touching and emotional doesn't quite hit home as I've barely gotten to know the two brothers. It seemed to me like the developers couldn't wait to get to the ending of the game and so the middle feels a little lacking. Where the game really falls down though is in some massive bugs which completely halted the game for me to the point where I had to google the solution to a puzzle only to find out I was doing it right but the game was broken. This was a common problem across forums and happened in two separate parts of the game requiring me to restart and redo some of the level. In a game so short these major flaws are hard to look past. There was also a third issue where I had to switch from using a controller to the keyboard even though the game had a warning saying that it required a controller to play. The reason I had to switch was because a part of the game was literally impossible using an Xbox 360 controller. Again I wasted so much time trying to figure out how to beat the puzzle only to find out I was doing it right but the game wouldn't let me progress. As well as that of course, I had to relearn how to control the game with the keyboard just so I could get past that part of the game, talk about shattering the immersion. So overall, it's a quaint little concept but it was extremely poorly executed and for a game which took around 4 hours to beat including time wasted due to bugs, it's hard to forgive such major issues. Expand
  51. Mar 17, 2014
    Last Played: March 2014
    PROS: + Everything, from character models to environments, is beautiful and the artistic direction is cohesive
    + Refreshingly, shows rather than tells a story CONS: - Start to finish beatable in less than three hours - Cranking elevators is so non-intuitive you may get stuck REVIEW: Got this game on Steam sale for $5 and for this price, it is a bargain. The
    Last Played: March 2014
    + Refreshingly, shows rather than tells a story
    CONS: - Start to finish beatable in less than three hours
    - Cranking elevators is so non-intuitive you may get stuck

REVIEW: Got this game on Steam sale for $5 and for this price, it is a bargain. The world looks and feels like a Grimm brothers’ fairy tale, where you skip from totally different backdrop to backdrop, though this is positive as well as negative. On the positive side the game’s artistic flavor never compromises the feel of ordinary characters in a supernatural and fantastic realm. Consistent with the Grimm story type however, is the “skipping” travel between areas where the protagonist has suddenly come to a completely different area with a completely different (and wholly unexplained) backstory. Whether you like this brand of storytelling or not is a personal preference, but I applaud the developers for having the guts to do what they wanted to do, exquisitely showing a rather simple story (there is not so much as a single written word or line of dialogue in the whole game, excepting menus and a control prompt or two).

On the complaints side, I do have to gripe that the game feels quite short, in fact having never played this game before most should be able to beat this in a single sitting if they choose. This raises some questions about value-for-money. Personally, I am of the opinion that if you can get this for less than the cost of a movie ticket where you live, you’ll get more entertainment out of this than whatever you could have seen there, but that’s just me. It certainly compares favorably with paying $60 for a trashy and forgettable 3-hour Call of Duty campaign, since you’ll actually remember what happened more than 10 minutes after you are done. No bugs to speak of, and controls are mostly fluid, but I do have one specific complaint: crank shafts in this game may be intuitive to some, but I tried every control scheme I could think of, and after five minutes stuck at the beginning of the game became convinced that I had a bug that was preventing me from moving on. Not so-when I looked up the supposed bug it turned out I just had to rotate the control sticks. However, a single counter-clockwise arrow could have saved me a few minutes of frustration and would have been trivially simple to include. Still, a fantastic experience, and I’d buy it again if I didn’t already own it.
  52. Mar 16, 2014
    Probably one of the most beautiful Indie games I've ever played. And I'm not solely talking about the graphics and the scenery, but also about the atmosphere and the lovable main characters. I haven't been as touched by a game in a long time, and man, did the ending leave me in a one big pile of emotions.

The game is short, but it's three hours well spent.
  53. Mar 6, 2014
    What a fantastic, heartbreaking and innovative little game with such a lovely story about two sons on their journey to find medicine for their dying father. Some scenes really let me sit in front of my tv with my eyes wide open. If you like games with new game mechanics and less action this is an absolutely must have.
  54. Mar 4, 2014
    Wow! I can't say how much I love this game. Every gamer has to experience this wonderful journey. The story is fantastic and so is the game-play. There is something very unique about this game which really touched me.
  55. Mar 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the first time I am writing a review for a game and am doing so out of the feeling that it is necessary after playing such a wonderful game. While there is virtually no challenge, you connect with the characters in this story in an amazing way only to leave you with a myriad of emotions at the end.
    As far as the people leaving negative reviews for it not being long enough, it wasn't a sixty dollar game. I got the game for five dollars and have seen it cheaper. Well worth the money, I'd buy it again and pay more.
  56. Feb 23, 2014
    This game is one of my favorite. I must say that it's a bit short, but it's not a bad things considering that it would probably get too much to bear in one gaming session, and this is where it's gets you to not lose your focus off the game. With a beautifully designed environment and well mixed sounds/musics, this games is able to make the player feel every emotions felt by the characters.This game is one of my favorite. I must say that it's a bit short, but it's not a bad things considering that it would probably get too much to bear in one gaming session, and this is where it's gets you to not lose your focus off the game. With a beautifully designed environment and well mixed sounds/musics, this games is able to make the player feel every emotions felt by the characters. There is no actual language nor subtitles in the game, but the emotions can do all the job of words. I really recommend this game to people who wants a relaxing yet mature experience in the gaming world. Expand
  57. Feb 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Прекрасная небольшая (часа на 3-4), не сложная, не детская сказка о двух братьях без диалогов, зато с удивительно разнообразным, трогающим за душу миром и оригинальным управлением, которого вы ещё не встречали (требуется джойстик). Графика выглядит устаревшей (Unreal engine), но панорамный вид спасает дело; музыка выше всяческих похвал.

Похожие игры (Ico, Journey) выходили раньше только на приставках. На этот раз производитель подумал и о нас, горячо рекомендую.
  58. Feb 21, 2014
    This game is fantastic. If you see it on sale, buy it. In all my time of playing video games, this is hands down one of my favorites (after "To the Moon" of course.) The story is very well written with awesome interactions to be made within the game, it makes it worth playing. The game was quite short 3-4 hours but I believe could be replayed a few times for the achievements. I rated thisThis game is fantastic. If you see it on sale, buy it. In all my time of playing video games, this is hands down one of my favorites (after "To the Moon" of course.) The story is very well written with awesome interactions to be made within the game, it makes it worth playing. The game was quite short 3-4 hours but I believe could be replayed a few times for the achievements. I rated this an 8/10 due to the length of the game, and honestly how easy it is. Besides that, lots of fun.

p.s. PLEASE GIVE ME A SEQUEL.
  59. Feb 19, 2014
    This game is amazing. The gameplay is groundbreaking, fluid and challenging at the same time. The puzzles are somewhat simple but fun to solve, and the storyline manages to be simply beautiful.

Touching, inspiring & innovator, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is one of the best games I've played so far.

(About 4 hours gameplay + 1 hour cutscene films & about U$10-15)
  60. Feb 18, 2014
    This game is fantastic. Touching story and you never want to stop playing. You want to do all you can to make sure the brothers complete their goal. Great setting and game play. One of the best games I have played in a while.
  61. Feb 17, 2014
    This game is one of the greatest i have played in my life, even tho i give 10 only because i have played it via using x-box pad, otherwise i would give 9/10, anyways graphics, story and game play is so great i'm still amazed.
  62. Feb 17, 2014
    It is difficult to put what I think of this game into words. The obvious could be viewed by anyone with a collection of screen-shots. That is, the game looked completely amazing, completely beautiful from beginning to end. To the point where this game could get off completely on it's presentation alone. The game is set in a fantasy world, complete with underground cities giant castles, warIt is difficult to put what I think of this game into words. The obvious could be viewed by anyone with a collection of screen-shots. That is, the game looked completely amazing, completely beautiful from beginning to end. To the point where this game could get off completely on it's presentation alone. The game is set in a fantasy world, complete with underground cities giant castles, war torn battlefields, and frozen wastelands.
    But the true majesty of this setting is enhanced by the fact that you don't play as an epic hero. You play as a couple kids who are way way over their head. This makes everything feel much more threatening and magical then it would otherwise.
    The story is excellent, and told almost entirely through game play, with only a handful of cut scenes throughout the entire game. There is no dialogue because it is unnecessary. The story is simple, and in this case that is a good thing. It is trying to convey emotions and ideas, instead of complex political messages. So it only uses what is necessary to do that.
    What keeps this game from getting a 10 is 1 simple things. The first being that the PC controls without a controller are very poor. One brother controls with WASD and space bar. Which works perfectly. the problem is that the other brother controls with the arrow keys and the left CTRL. This gets to a point of actually being physically painful. Just hover your right hand over those keys and see.
    I imagine I could give it a perfect score if I played it with a controller, but unfortunately that isn't the case.
    I suppose the length of only 2-3 hours was another deciding factor in it. But really it wasn't that big of a deal, just that for most games I wouldn't think that I had spent enough time playing it to judge it, and with this I am already done.
    But the 2-3 hours spent in this game are pure and necessary. There is nothing that wastes your time and nothing that doesn't do what it is supposed to.
    It's the difference between grinding for 100 hours in world of warcraft and spending a few hours experiencing something truly special.
    If movie tickets are worth 17 dollars this is definitely worth 15. and you will leave this feeling something.
  63. Feb 15, 2014
    absolutlley amazing. my game of the year. great graphics,graet gameplay and decent storyline make this one a total winner for the best game of the year
  64. Feb 13, 2014
    Best Game Of 2013. Nevermind that, this is the best game of all time. Forget Half Life 2, forget Bioshock or forget GTA V. This game knows how to play with your emotions. Never once a game made me to wish if we could change a part of the game. Never once a piece of Media ever made me drop manly tears from my eyes. This game could do it. This is more than a game. This is a piece of art.
  65. Feb 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a fantastic game. The gameplay is pretty simple, just use the control sticks and trigger buttons to control the characters, but that's not the draw of the game. The art direction is beautiful, the story is simplistic but powerful. The title of the game carries throughout the game, except ******SPOILERS******* at the end when you *******SPOILERS******** have to bury your own brother. My lord, the game has you go through the actions of burying your own brother, the one character that you rely on to get you through the game. Very Powerful. Another powerful moment is when you get to the end and actually have to use your brothers controls to get you through certain obstacles you normally wouldn't get through. For those emotional elements this game gets a pretty high score. I did enjoy playing through it, although the controls did get kind of annoying sometimes by coordinating between the two characters. One thing I wish the developer did was create subtitles in the game. I understand they're trying to immerse you in a whole new fascinating world and may not speak english, but gestures do not fully communicate the characters interaction. Overall great game for the emotional impact, but not fully enjoyable because of the controls. Worth playing if it's discounted. Expand
  66. Feb 11, 2014
    It's a game that relies on you operating with both hands to move both brothers. It is otherwise a rather linear game that is meant to tell a story while you perform puzzles. The puzzles can be frustrating at times, but they aren't that difficult to deal with and beating the game will only take you about five hours. I would not suggest this game to anyone who focuses only on gameplay andIt's a game that relies on you operating with both hands to move both brothers. It is otherwise a rather linear game that is meant to tell a story while you perform puzzles. The puzzles can be frustrating at times, but they aren't that difficult to deal with and beating the game will only take you about five hours. I would not suggest this game to anyone who focuses only on gameplay and always skips cutscenes, but it is a great game to unwind on for a relaxing time. It uses stunning art and an engrossing story to draw the player in, and it was a great time overall. It does lack in replayability however. It relies more on the overall story and the experience than actual gameplay, so while being fun, it has the replayability of a book. I beat the game twice for fun, but I probably won't play it for another year when I feel like picking it up in a year. Expand
  67. Feb 5, 2014
    Hands down one of the best examples of storytelling in videogames. This game helps move the industry forward as form of entertainment. This game has you connect with the characters though it's superb soundtrack it's bittersweet visuals and it's unique way of being played and I don't think there are any games of this caliber that has me connect with the characters in a physical sense. If IHands down one of the best examples of storytelling in videogames. This game helps move the industry forward as form of entertainment. This game has you connect with the characters though it's superb soundtrack it's bittersweet visuals and it's unique way of being played and I don't think there are any games of this caliber that has me connect with the characters in a physical sense. If I ever had any gripes with the game they were soon forgotten unlike the story and mood which I will always remember. Expand
  68. Feb 5, 2014
    A breath taking game. Even though there is no language you still can be connected with the story more than ever. Worst thing about the game is that it is short.
  69. Feb 2, 2014
    Internet, we've gotta have a talk about this game. Yes, beautiful graphics. Absolutely gorgeous graphics. But the linear gameplay, the boring repetitive "puzzles," the forced/melodramatic story, the flat, sim-like characters, etc. manage to suck all the life out of this thing. I seriously almost ragequit the final cutscene. Just showing characters grieving again and again != emotionalInternet, we've gotta have a talk about this game. Yes, beautiful graphics. Absolutely gorgeous graphics. But the linear gameplay, the boring repetitive "puzzles," the forced/melodramatic story, the flat, sim-like characters, etc. manage to suck all the life out of this thing. I seriously almost ragequit the final cutscene. Just showing characters grieving again and again != emotional depth or storytelling. Expand
  70. Jan 31, 2014
    Not difficult at all. You just roll through all the "puzzles" if you can even call them puzzles, its so linear you just keep going one direction til you reach a new point and press one button to do an action (Pull a lever, push your brother up a cliff so he can throw a rope down to the big one) which gets repeated so many times. The story was pretty good for how short it was, If the gameNot difficult at all. You just roll through all the "puzzles" if you can even call them puzzles, its so linear you just keep going one direction til you reach a new point and press one button to do an action (Pull a lever, push your brother up a cliff so he can throw a rope down to the big one) which gets repeated so many times. The story was pretty good for how short it was, If the game was more than move forward and press a button I'd enjoy it a lot more even the 'boss' fights that's pretty much all you did besides run around a little. Expand
  71. Jan 29, 2014
    The game is very linear. There is one path and it's abundantly obvious where it is. This may turn people off but I liked it. This is one of those 'it's more about the experience than the game" type of game. And it is an enjoyable experience in a fantastical world. You control two brothers on a journey to get medicine to save their father. There are no puzzles and the platforming is veryThe game is very linear. There is one path and it's abundantly obvious where it is. This may turn people off but I liked it. This is one of those 'it's more about the experience than the game" type of game. And it is an enjoyable experience in a fantastical world. You control two brothers on a journey to get medicine to save their father. There are no puzzles and the platforming is very simple. You can't fall of ledges, which given the nature of the controls (each joystick controls one brother) is a blessing. There isn't really any challenge so if you are the type of person who plays a game for that then this wouldn't be for you. It's an easy straightforward game and it seems the sole purpose of it may be to have you look at the beautiful art design. But that's not a bad thing. The game puts all it's eggs in the charm basket and succeeds. I would recommend the game to you if you weren't already turned off by the lack of challenge and the linear aspect. If you like the walking dead game or the Stanley Parable then likely you will like this game. Expand
  72. Jan 29, 2014
    "Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons" is a journey through fable-like world that focuses on inducing variety of emotions. The environment is very scenic, often having you traveling high up and admiring beautiful landscapes. It's inhabited with trolls, giants, griffins and other mythical creatures. Everywhere you go there's always something nice to look at. The camera's position often emphasizes"Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons" is a journey through fable-like world that focuses on inducing variety of emotions. The environment is very scenic, often having you traveling high up and admiring beautiful landscapes. It's inhabited with trolls, giants, griffins and other mythical creatures. Everywhere you go there's always something nice to look at. The camera's position often emphasizes the best fragments of a scene. It's not photo-real, but definitely eye pleasing and charming.

You control both brothers at once - left hand for the older one, right hand for the younger. Many puzzles rely on syncing them well together. For me that was something new. Personally I had to keep them on the left&right sides of the screen in accordance with the control scheme. Whenever they switched positions due to my running around, my brain just went out of whack and chaos followed. I had to slow down and reposition them to be able to continue comfortably.

The puzzles themselves are fairly easy. Some variants are recycled throughout the game. There is no greater planning involved and you solve many as you go. There is also no backtracking, so even if you're not sure how to tackle a specific problem, in most cases solution would present itself after simply going a little further. I feel that puzzles are just meant to be a way of reinforcing the bond between brothers and making player more attached through gameplay. Most of them require both protagonists working at the same time or in a longer alternating sequence.

The reception of the story differs from person to person. Many people got their hopes up by other reviews/opinions and were disappointed. Others were ecstatic. For me the general experience is above average, that's for sure. Also the ending squeezed a tear out of me or two, so the narration trough gameplay mostly did it's job. But I didn't experience strong emotional response from the beginning to the end like some. Still I find the whole journey enjoyable and well worth my time.

The game is pretty linear. No choices to be made, no events that can be prevented or played out differently. Apart from the main task that the boys are focused on, you can interact with many objects or NPCs and observe separate animations for each brother. Those do not affect anything, but make the world feel more alive and characters more fleshed out. All the inhabitants communicate in a made up gibberish sounding language, so the gestures and body language are especially important.

The whole world might look like it's fable-like, but in reality it's quite harsh. Brutal and cruel at times even. Good things happen, then bad things happen. You save someone, someone will die as a direct result of helping you (or even a worse scenario). One has the impression that no good deed goes unpunished. Sometimes you won't be able to help - you'll just witness the effects of a tragedy that already took place. You meet both friendly NPCs, and mean or outright ill willed & hostile ones. Although there are very few moments in the whole game that actually pose any danger (story wise, not from manually letting go a ledge or other mechanics associated deaths).

Completing the game takes about 3-4 hours, even when interacting with every possible object/person. So it's quite short. There is no need to replay it, other than experiencing the exact same story again if you really were swept away by it. If you have a chance to grab it on a sale - I wouldn't hesitate, fully recommended. At full price, I would say it's not for everyone. Definitely for people that can appreciate the emotional content and enjoy the journey aspect without making fuss about easy difficulty, length or minor issues - basically, recommended for informed customers :)

Subjective Assessment - 7.5 (more than nice, not yet great)
    [utilizing full 1-10 scale, where 5 means average]
  73. Jan 27, 2014
    Easily a 10/10, the game was just superb. Even though there is no understandable langue in the game the story that is told is amazing. The game is beautiful, the gameplay is original and the puzzles are different. The game is a must buy and was definitely my favorite game of 2013.
  74. Jan 23, 2014
    This is one of the most amazing games I've ever played. At first, I thought it was like Journey, and it feels like it. But with a twist. To control 2 characters at the same time, with puzzles that require your motion awareness, sense of direction and at the same time your sight to see the little things in a gorgeous world. Sometimes the game felt a little bit easy, but that's because itThis is one of the most amazing games I've ever played. At first, I thought it was like Journey, and it feels like it. But with a twist. To control 2 characters at the same time, with puzzles that require your motion awareness, sense of direction and at the same time your sight to see the little things in a gorgeous world. Sometimes the game felt a little bit easy, but that's because it holds you into a "never-talk" story, tiny details and comprehension that this journey to save your father is a journey to save this world too. It's not because it's short or "indie" that I should give less than 10. This game feels like a classic. And it made me cry. Expand
  75. Jan 21, 2014
    Hands down one of the best indie titles I've played. Beautiful, engaging and emotional game with interesting puzzles a gameplay. It creates a unique and fascinating world, moves you, and keeps you entertained the whole way through.
  76. Jan 20, 2014
    OMG!!!! We (my two granddaughters and I) just got finished playing this game and I have been crying for the past 20 minutes!!! I had to write to a review about this. It is one of the best, if not THE best games, I have ever played!!! I don't even know where to begin. It was heartbreaking, beautiful, suspenseful, challenging, and uplifting all rolled into one. My grandkids (ages 6 andOMG!!!! We (my two granddaughters and I) just got finished playing this game and I have been crying for the past 20 minutes!!! I had to write to a review about this. It is one of the best, if not THE best games, I have ever played!!! I don't even know where to begin. It was heartbreaking, beautiful, suspenseful, challenging, and uplifting all rolled into one. My grandkids (ages 6 and 9) were screaming out loud on some parts they were so scared but then when we made it through a challenge we were all screaming for joy!! We played from around 11 am through 8 pm and just could not stop playing until we had finished it!! One used a controller and the other was on keyboard (big sister/little sister just like the brothers). It was just a fantastic family experience!! We'll probably start a new game when they come back over again we had so much fun. Many kudos 505 Games!!! Expand
  77. Jan 18, 2014
    Great game. Gameplay-wise is a bit simplistic, but makes that up with the control-two-characters-at-a-time mechanic. Good setting and storyline. I'm also glad that it doesn't last more than necessary, just about 3 hours, which for this game it feels like the way it has to be.
  78. Jan 18, 2014
    Absolutely amazing game. Beautiful landscapes and graphics, touching story, great characterization.

One of the best games I have played for a few years.
  79. Jan 17, 2014
    One of the most moving and atmospherical games I ever played. The completely new game mechanics is another achievement which puts this game on a level above a lot of other games and lets it win a spot in my heart forever. Buy!
  80. Jan 17, 2014
    This game has heart! I enjoyed this game as much or more than any game in years. The visuals are excellent. At certain points I found myself just staring at how good looking this fantasy world was. The world scale is epic - beautiful art reminiscent of LOTR . The story is very good. I found myself engaged and caring for the characters. There are puzzle aspects to the story and someThis game has heart! I enjoyed this game as much or more than any game in years. The visuals are excellent. At certain points I found myself just staring at how good looking this fantasy world was. The world scale is epic - beautiful art reminiscent of LOTR . The story is very good. I found myself engaged and caring for the characters. There are puzzle aspects to the story and some mild platforming elements, but nothing that will probably stump or challenge you. Instead it's more like I enjoyed moving from puzzle to puzzle to see what imaginative world waits next.

I played with a keyboard (not gamepad) the entire game and it worked fine once I got the controls down. I have never given a 10 on a game and I considered it for this one, but I'll go with a 9. The only thing really holding me back from a 10 is that I felt the story kindof left me a bit confused at the end. I think I understood what the storyteller was going for around the story, but I felt a couple of events near the end just felt a little outside the chain of cause/effect. I think some may say you'll get to a part in the story near the end when you wonder "how did we get from there to here, and why did the unpredictable series of events drop us at our destination?" Anyhow, I'll be vague, but this element only slightly detracts from an otherwise wonderful game. Play this one when you get a chance.
  81. Jan 16, 2014
    The game is fun, no question about that. I even bought an X-Box Controller just for this, as my old PS2 controller wouldnt work. But whatever, I'm not gonna rate the game on this.

It is, however, pretty much overhyped, I think. The ending was just awesome, but most of the game before that didn't feel that special. Just a plain adventure, not much better than other games. Had some highlights, yes.

I think, I never really got into it or I had to big expectations with everyone saying "Best Game 2013".

Still enjoyable, but don't expect the best game ever.
  82. Jan 15, 2014
    Beautiful game. Rethinking of the controller and medium-skilled puzzles keep the game moving along at the pace the developer wants you to progress. Fun interactions with double joystick control, music, puzzles, and gripping storyline makes this my top 5 of 2013.
  83. Jan 14, 2014
    Simply amazing you have to try it. It's not even a game anymore it's a great experience, reminds me little bit of a Journey, but I think it's even better. I strongly recommend this game to anyone looking for a unique experience.
  84. Jan 14, 2014
    This is a technically excellent platformer with very clever, fluid and engaging gameplay. But that would make for a decent game. The reason why this game is a masterpiece is how powerful the story is and how the story works with the gameplay. Very quickly you start to feel like these characters are a literal part of you. The game's story moved me like none other, in any medium. A mustThis is a technically excellent platformer with very clever, fluid and engaging gameplay. But that would make for a decent game. The reason why this game is a masterpiece is how powerful the story is and how the story works with the gameplay. Very quickly you start to feel like these characters are a literal part of you. The game's story moved me like none other, in any medium. A must play. A game you will never forget. Expand
  85. Jan 14, 2014
    Знаю, что игра рассчитана на управление одним человеком, но мы с сыном проходили двоем, это конечно облегчало процесс игры, но как мы прониклись общим делом, постоянная взаимовыручка. Я думаю не будет спойлером сказать, что в конце игры мы были оба в слезах и сын еще долго философствовал на тему игры.Знаю, что игра рассчитана на управление одним человеком, но мы с сыном проходили двоем, это конечно облегчало процесс игры, но как мы прониклись общим делом, постоянная взаимовыручка. Я думаю не будет спойлером сказать, что в конце игры мы были оба в слезах и сын еще долго философствовал на тему игры.
  86. Jan 13, 2014
    Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is, at its core, a simple adventure-platforming game with a unique mechanical twist. Players control the movement of both of the main characters, the titular brothers, with the controller's two analog sticks, while the triggers allow for numerous interactions in the world. The control scheme can sometimes be confusing - every now and then I found myselfBrothers: A Tale of Two Sons is, at its core, a simple adventure-platforming game with a unique mechanical twist. Players control the movement of both of the main characters, the titular brothers, with the controller's two analog sticks, while the triggers allow for numerous interactions in the world. The control scheme can sometimes be confusing - every now and then I found myself controlling the characters with the wrong sticks - but as the game is extremely light on twitchy sequences, this never actually impeded the gameplay and, in most cases, made the game feel a little more charming. This is probably because of how well each of the game's puzzle-based set pieces are designed. Each of the times I found myself controlling the wrong character it was because I had let that character get on the side of the screen opposite the stick controlling him. The game's puzzles are designed in such a way that they typically remove the ability to do this, allowing the player to focus on the puzzle without being bogged down by control problems.

Graphically, Brothers is a downright beautiful game. The character models are less detailed than most recent big budget games, but the total package is leaps and bounds above the majority of the pack, rivaling games like Journey in its ability to get everything right. At times players will find themselves wandering through a forest, probably forgetting the massive size of the game's world, until they step out onto a clifftop with its bench (there are a lot of benches in the game) and suddenly recognize an area that they had previously played through, down in a valley seemingly miles and miles away. It's pretty incredible. Scope isn't the only thing the game provides, though. In the 3 or so hours that it took me to complete Brothers, I never once felt bored with the environment design. The story takes players through dozens of locations, from underground cities to desert battlegrounds and everywhere in between. Each of these environments feels fresh and (more importantly) fits very snugly into the world of Brothers, which can only be described as a satisfying mix of elements from both high and low fantasy. The greatest achievement of the world's design, though, is the constant feeling that there is some unseen story behind each of the different areas and that they aren't, as in many games, just dioramas filled with puzzles for players to solve.

The narrative in Brothers, which will undoubtedly be the draw for most players, is what would happen if Tolkien and Hans Christian Anderson co-wrote a fairy tale and Disney made the movie with the original ending intact. It doesn't feature a single word in English - or any other spoken language - but instead relies on body language and other visual cues to convey contextual meaning while the characters speak in a language that is vaguely reminiscent of Simlish. This is much less alienating than I had believed it would be when I first started playing, due in large part to the slightly exaggerated, but not overbearing, emphasis on body language and gestures in conversations. Ultimately, though, the self-imposed language barrier does still create a sense of alienation, taking away from some of the more emotionally charged moments as the player feels like little more than a passive observer of the game's events. Where Telltale's The Walking Dead series is so successful in allowing the player to feel a connection to the game's characters, in turn making the pivotal plot moments bite that much deeper, some of the events in Brothers fall short. The game's lack of player agency, coupled with the inability to fully understand the characters, keeps the same kind of meaningful connections from being formed. The final rise to the climax does overcome this, though, introducing a shift in the game's mechanics in a simple, yet powerful way, without any of the accompanying fanfare that would normally be expected. These are, in all honesty, some of the most powerful moments in any video game.

Brothers' gorgeous vistas and compelling narrative are tied together beautifully by the game's audio. The sounds and effects in each of the varied environments simply feel like they fit. There was no moment where, upon crossing the threshold to Area A to Area B, the audio effects suddenly snapped into "Area B mode", resulting in a noticeable shift in the spatial quality of the sounds. The soundtrack, heard in some form for the majority of the game, is equally impressive and fits perfectly with the narrative. At times the music is subtle to the point of being almost unnoticed, providing ambiance to an environment, while at other times it is used to great effect to accentuate the tension of pivotal plot points.

Despite its inability to fully capitalize on some of the more charged moments in the narrative and a few minor bugs, Brothers is still one of the most well-crafted and focused games, indie or otherwise, that's been released in quite a while.
  87. Jan 11, 2014
    So glad I brought this, aside from being a little sort this game is perfect. I have blonde hair and have an older brother with brown hair so immediately i felt connected to the brothers. Gameplay is very fun, essentially a single player co-op adventure taking the two brothers on an epic and memorable adventure . Story is brilliant as well, this and the Walking Dead Game are the only twoSo glad I brought this, aside from being a little sort this game is perfect. I have blonde hair and have an older brother with brown hair so immediately i felt connected to the brothers. Gameplay is very fun, essentially a single player co-op adventure taking the two brothers on an epic and memorable adventure . Story is brilliant as well, this and the Walking Dead Game are the only two games that have got me teary-eyed. Expand
  88. Jan 11, 2014
    Simply: You have to play this game. It's a masterpiece. So unique, so beautiful. The gameplay is so fun and new, you control two people at the same time, I have never played a game with this style of gameplay before. The story though is what makes it so beautiful. I can't stress enough how good this game was. No wonder it has such a high user score.
    Also you don't need controllers to play
    Also you don't need controllers to play it on PC, you just need to chance the right character controls to use something else other than Right-Ctrl. I played it on PC without a controller completely fine.
  89. Jan 10, 2014
    I registered on metacritic to write a review for this game. This is the best game I have ever played. I am stunned by the beauty of the game. The graphics are excellent, game-play is innovative and the story is exceptional. The only problem I had was with the camera angles. Nevertheless, a game that one has to play in his life.
  90. Jan 8, 2014
    Seriously? Gameplay is the only unique property of games, so when you wright a review you should consider it. And gameplay in Brothers is primitive and repetitive. It doesn't give player a challenge in any way other than if you want to sneeze when characters hanging on cliff you must resist the urge to cover mouth with your hand. How this game get so many 10/10 is beyond me.
  91. Jan 7, 2014
    Awesome game.. Great job developer.. I have played many games in my life from d past 15 yrs of my life, but never came across this fascinating & fantastic game.. One of d best game d legend has to offer which can be played by anybody; no age restriction at all.. Sleekingly amazing graphics. Worth buying & playing.. Worth every penny.. This is d first game where u get to control both dAwesome game.. Great job developer.. I have played many games in my life from d past 15 yrs of my life, but never came across this fascinating & fantastic game.. One of d best game d legend has to offer which can be played by anybody; no age restriction at all.. Sleekingly amazing graphics. Worth buying & playing.. Worth every penny.. This is d first game where u get to control both d brothers witch is actually quite difficult & proves quite a challenge.. I never reviewed any game so far.. But after playing this game I couldn't resist myself from giving this review.. I recommend & insist everyone should play this beautiful game.. The best adventurous game launched so far.. The game really connects the gamer to the storyline of the game..
    A unique experience of controlling both the brothers-A true gem..
    The game is a gem-worth playing..
    Beautiful game--gorgeous, eye-stunning graphics..
    A classic adventurous game..
  92. Jan 7, 2014
    Brothers may not be as cool, complex, thrilling and long as the Bioshock or the Arkham games (personal favourites of mine) but it is still a perfect game that everyone should at least try once in their lives. The reason I find it a perfect game is because unlike almost all games, there is no way to recreate this as a film and feel the same emotions. By controlling the two brothers at allBrothers may not be as cool, complex, thrilling and long as the Bioshock or the Arkham games (personal favourites of mine) but it is still a perfect game that everyone should at least try once in their lives. The reason I find it a perfect game is because unlike almost all games, there is no way to recreate this as a film and feel the same emotions. By controlling the two brothers at all times, the player is made more aware of his interaction with the characters and what happens on screen. It also forces the player to build new muscle memory which comes into play within the game’s narrative at the very end. That this game succeeds at merging this new gameplay mechanic with its narrative flawlessly is the reason I deem this game perfect. It attempts one thing, just one, but it perfects it. Definitely an example of quality over quantity, considering the very short length. I do not mind the short length though, since it makes it feasible to play the game in one sitting, giving the player a full arc with its controls, mirroring the character arc of the younger brother.
    The game also happens to be beautiful and smooth. Someone watching you play could easily believe this is an animated film. All the elements on the screen blend together perfectly and you truly feel you are commanding an epic yet personal journey as it unfolds before your eyes. There is no combat, only some simple puzzles, but the game does not want to overload the player with more difficulty due to the fact that growing comfortable with the controls is the main difficulty in this game. This gives the game a nice momentum and pace, never giving you a reason to set the controller down. Of all the games out there, I believe this is the one which truly shows the potential of this medium as an artform and that is the reason I would give this game a 10.
  93. Jan 5, 2014
    Artistic masterpiece. Some may not like the game being "easy"... but, it's an incredible ride. Most fun I've had in a videogame in a long time. I found myself seeking cliches and game mechanics of other games... and gladly I wasn't satiated. This is a very unique experience, and the art direction, atmosphere... all of it. Wow! I'd love to play a sequel. Also, the voice acting (although aArtistic masterpiece. Some may not like the game being "easy"... but, it's an incredible ride. Most fun I've had in a videogame in a long time. I found myself seeking cliches and game mechanics of other games... and gladly I wasn't satiated. This is a very unique experience, and the art direction, atmosphere... all of it. Wow! I'd love to play a sequel. Also, the voice acting (although a different language) and music is very well done. Expand
  94. Jan 4, 2014
    A rather memorable experience. Stunning visuals, pretty simplistic gameplay and puzzles, yet fun. The story is okay, though I do not consider it awesome. One thing I must mention very comfortable controls (if you use gamepad). Overall, this game is a small work of art. Try not to miss it, it takes only 3 hours to complete, but you'll get unforgettable impressions.
  95. Jan 4, 2014
    Stunning game. If you are the type who doesn't care for character focused drama, this may not be for you. This game is brief, but epic. I am almost at the end and it has been a powerful journey. Without words, a powerful story is shared. Joyous moments seem to end in tragedy. Dark moments are tinged with humor. The young brothers casually walk through horror, showing extreme maturity atStunning game. If you are the type who doesn't care for character focused drama, this may not be for you. This game is brief, but epic. I am almost at the end and it has been a powerful journey. Without words, a powerful story is shared. Joyous moments seem to end in tragedy. Dark moments are tinged with humor. The young brothers casually walk through horror, showing extreme maturity at the same time as youthful playfulness.

A very memorable game and a serious bargain, even with the short playing time, when it goes on sale on the various digital download platforms.

The controls felt unique. It took a little time to get used to controlling one character per analog stick. While the puzzles were far from complex, the novelty of the controls and the depth of the story made it all enjoyable to me.

If you are the type who wants to feel smarter than everyone else, this game could also provide you a chance to proudly rant that the game is overrated, blah, blah, blah. You all know the type. On a more earnest note, if you don't care for emotional drama, this game might be boring for you.
  96. Jan 4, 2014
    This game is just amazing. It reminds me of Journey, and yet, it surpasses Journey in term of game play and story. And you just keep getting fascinated from the beginning to the end.
  97. Jan 3, 2014
    This game is a masterpiece. Not only does this game have very clever co-op puzzles, but the seemingly simple story can be comprehended so many different ways to make the story thick, engaging, and emotional. The way the younger brother uses his own skill to do things that the brother could only do, it teaches how to not rely on others so much, you have skill. It teaches you that life canThis game is a masterpiece. Not only does this game have very clever co-op puzzles, but the seemingly simple story can be comprehended so many different ways to make the story thick, engaging, and emotional. The way the younger brother uses his own skill to do things that the brother could only do, it teaches how to not rely on others so much, you have skill. It teaches you that life can be hard, but it's up to you to stand back up, and grow, and make that never changing scar seem smaller. It teaches you the theme of brotherhood and teamwork. It can mean so much, without using a single word of English. Expand
  98. Jan 2, 2014
    Delightful game, undoubtedly could be enjoyed by anyone with a heart and some basic grasp of simple puzzles and a controller. It's (dare I say) beautiful and touching, and definitely worth your time (even if it is just a few hours). It's the kind of game that I will store in my Steam account, categorized as "classic".
  99. Jan 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Brothers a tale of two sons, is a beautiful-looking puzzle-platformer that tells an emotional, bittersweet story. It is like a fairytale as told by the Brothers Grimm, with an unexpected sting and darkness to offset the blissful bits with butterflies and bunnies. At the start, we see how the younger of two brothers doesn’t manage to save his mother’s life. Then, as his father falls deathly ill, he sets off on a long journey with his older brother to a tree that may well hold a cure. Along the way, they run into various creatures and face obstacles that can only be overcome by working together. As everybody speaks an incomprehensible language, the story is told entirely with images and body language.

The game is blessed with an ingenious, yet simple, control-scheme, which allows you to control both brothers simultaneously. One with your left hand and one with your right. If you are lucky enough to have a gamepad, this means that movement is handled with the two control sticks (one per brother) and that for any context-sensitive action (grabbing something or chatting to a character, for instance) you use the left and right trigger, depending on the brother you’re focused on. Once you get used to it, this scheme works surprisingly well, though I did get confused now and then when the brother I was controlling with the left hand was to the right of his sibling. Apparently my brain was expecting my left hand to always control the brother on the left.

Most of the roadblocks involve pulling levers and turning cranks. Barring a few exceptions such as when the brothers go on a climbing expedition while tied together with a rope these aren’t exactly innovative, or intellectually challenging. But because of the way you are controlling the brothers, the execution is still interesting. The big incentive to keep going is not finding the next puzzle to solve but to see how the story turns out. The game is good at making you feel invested in the characters, the great visuals and beautiful soundtrack helping to draw you into this world.

Brothers is very linear, there just being a few places where you can deviate from the path a teensy bit to do something optional like reuniting a giant turtle with her kids. And there are no collectibles of any kind, which is a major plus in my book. All too often the pacing of a game is disrupted by the feeling that you should be exploring every inch of your surroundings to not miss out on something. Even if that something is actually completely irrelevant to the game proper. Brothers moves at a steady clip, never pausing long enough to bore, and it can be finished in a couple of hours. This is probably a negative for some gamers, but good news for people like me, who tend to be short on time and prefer an awesome short experience to a longer just-okay one.

There is an amazing moment late in the game where a little stunt with the controls nearly brought a tear to my eye. I can’t spoil the context, but suffice to say that this is the first time a simple game mechanic ever had such a direct emotional effect on me. The control itself as the narrative device that is something rare. Brothers is a game that won’t soon be forgotten.

@PopCultJunk
  100. Jan 1, 2014
    This whole game is a masterpiece and one of the best pc titles ever. The touching story and the spiritual company of the older brother at the end was a unique experience. Gameplay was really innovative and the scenery looked flawless. The atmosphere puts you in the mood and the soundtrack is solid. It was the only title beside The Last Of Us that brought me to tears.
  101. Sep 3, 2013
    This game is a gem. i didn't expect to like it so much. The story and ending are simply amazing. I recommend this game to anyone who likes a good adventure. The game is only 3 hours long and there is not too much of a challenge but overall it's an awesome experience. i enjoyed this more than any of these recent blockbuster games. Yes it's that good. 9/10

1. Oct 31, 2013
    Brothers, unlike many recent indie hits, is very down to earth. It is not rife with intellectual puzzles like Braid, it is not as open to interpretations as Journey. It just makes you think about simple human values.
  2. Oct 24, 2013
    A gorgeous world, bursting with personality. Great storytelling makes up for the short length and unchallenging puzzles.
  3. Oct 11, 2013
    Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a true marriage of gameplay and narrative, and it is frankly a complete triumph.