Bulletstorm PC

7.7

1. Mar 13, 2011
    Fun for a while, but no where near worth $60. Cut scenes interrupt the action too often. The Kill With Skill feature is just an achievement system that pays you out to buy more ammo. It's a short game, and there is almost no replay value. My biggest complaint is the hyper nauseating camera motions. Jumping over an obstacle, or pulling a lever causes the camera to wobble aroundFun for a while, but no where near worth $60. Cut scenes interrupt the action too often. The Kill With Skill feature is just an achievement system that pays you out to buy more ammo. It's a short game, and there is almost no replay value. My biggest complaint is the hyper nauseating camera motions. Jumping over an obstacle, or pulling a lever causes the camera to wobble around drunkingly for a couple of seconds. There's more than one scene where your vision is blurred involuntarily. I'd recommend it if the price were $15-$20. Expand
  2. Mar 29, 2013
    Bulletstorm is an over the top brainless first person shooter. If that is not your thing looks elsewhere. I really enjoyed my time with this game. There are some really cool environments in this game and the visuals are for the most part really pleasant to look at. The story and character interactions are surprisingly alright even though they hardly will win any awards. The campaignBulletstorm is an over the top brainless first person shooter. If that is not your thing looks elsewhere. I really enjoyed my time with this game. There are some really cool environments in this game and the visuals are for the most part really pleasant to look at. The story and character interactions are surprisingly alright even though they hardly will win any awards. The campaign should take you around ten hours to beat depending on the difficulty. And the ten hours are actually quite varied with a lot of really cool moments even though the mindless shooting have a habit of getting a tiny bit repetitive at the end. The shooting is however quite good and the action feels quite satisfying although i would like to have seen more enemy-types, more bosses and more weapons in the game. The upgrade system could also be fleshed out more. Another thing i should mention is that the game is not only linear but also very much static. The inability to jump for instance will probably piss a lot of people of. Bulletstorm is by no means perfect but its a really competent mindless first person shooter and i do recommend fans of the genre to check this game out. I certainly had a lot of fun with it. Expand
  3. Apr 5, 2012
    Ok game, I got it for 5 bucks on steam... It is certainly not worth 50 bucks... Very awfull dialogues, an non-existent story made by and for morons...

Gameplay wise, very fun to play, nice weapons Graphics wise really good... very nice representation and level design... I only hate the macho Gears of War beefcake empty dialogue stuff... Epic games needs to grow up! People can fly have

Gameplay wise, very fun to play, nice weapons
    Graphics wise really good... very nice representation and level design...

I only hate the macho Gears of War beefcake empty dialogue stuff... Epic games needs to grow up! People can fly have proven themselves to be very capable developpers... Now make a intelligent game please...
  4. Jul 2, 2012
    This game is a blast! For the money (currently $20) it is absolutely worth a play-through. It's entertaining, not complicated, looks good, plays well. I like the setting and the characters, but didn't pay too much attention to the storyline. The action sequences are fast-paced, but if you like to take your time with shooters just lower the difficulty. The controls can be a little sketchyThis game is a blast! For the money (currently $20) it is absolutely worth a play-through. It's entertaining, not complicated, looks good, plays well. I like the setting and the characters, but didn't pay too much attention to the storyline. The action sequences are fast-paced, but if you like to take your time with shooters just lower the difficulty. The controls can be a little sketchy when you're in the menus and a Windows Live account is required, but I didn't find either of those to be a deal breaker. If you're looking for a fun shooter that you don't have to take seriously, look no further than Bulletstorm. Expand
  5. Jun 3, 2011
    The game is fun at first. But should have been released as a budget title. The campaigns get extremely boring and so does the gameplay. All you can do is fight the same type of enemies. If your get bored to death, the best thing you can do to make it a bit more entertaining is to aim for the head and get extra points because of headshots. Otherwise, the gameplay is boring and repetitve.The game is fun at first. But should have been released as a budget title. The campaigns get extremely boring and so does the gameplay. All you can do is fight the same type of enemies. If your get bored to death, the best thing you can do to make it a bit more entertaining is to aim for the head and get extra points because of headshots. Otherwise, the gameplay is boring and repetitve. Graphic wise, not good. Again, the devs care more the console gamers by powering this under the Unreal Engine just like every other game. Same atmosphere and feel as UT3. Expand
  6. Apr 9, 2011
    A fresh breeze in the jungle of modern warfare shooters (not referring to the COD series in particular). A lighthearted game that doesn't take itself too seriously for the 14 year old in us who just wants to shoot aliens and blow things up. The unique concept of skillshot points and environmental interaction has its minor flaws (mainly that weapons are just overpowered thanks to the mouseA fresh breeze in the jungle of modern warfare shooters (not referring to the COD series in particular). A lighthearted game that doesn't take itself too seriously for the 14 year old in us who just wants to shoot aliens and blow things up. The unique concept of skillshot points and environmental interaction has its minor flaws (mainly that weapons are just overpowered thanks to the mouse controls) but overall is a very interesting and promising mechanic for future titles of the genre. Setting and art direction are brilliant, you can really immerse into the world around you although the gameplay itself is very linear. In my eyes the game's flow doesn't collide with the extensive use of cut scenes. Plus the various special stages (such as Waggleton P. Tallylicker and the grind wheel thing, not to give away any spoilers) keep the player pumped for more action. Sadly the singleplayer campaign is relatively short and the multiplayer is entirely composed of singleplayer stages in co-op mode or on the hunt for more points so the replay value inevitably suffers. Also the PC version suffers from a few minor bugs such as being locked to 16:9 and therefore black bars for any monitor resolution that isn't 16:9. Might not be worth full price to you if you have a relatively tight budget for gaming expenses but if I saw it on sale I wouldn't hesitate to grab a copy because for the time playing it absolutely and almost literally blows you away. Expand
  7. Feb 27, 2011
    A spirited but ultimately flawed effort, the weapons upgrade system and kick/whip special kills which earn you the points to buy upgrades and ammo just weren't enough to keep me interested though I did play to completion. What makes things worse is that loading screens for chapters often give away what secrets the game has to offer in advance. "Hey there's that statue thing we justA spirited but ultimately flawed effort, the weapons upgrade system and kick/whip special kills which earn you the points to buy upgrades and ammo just weren't enough to keep me interested though I did play to completion. What makes things worse is that loading screens for chapters often give away what secrets the game has to offer in advance. "Hey there's that statue thing we just encountered and in that pic it's attacking us!" etc,. They also gave FAR too much away on the trailer... so what might have been nice surprises were repeatedly spoiled. Initially the drunken antics of the protagonist and buddies do amuse, quite a bit but a few hours in an most of the buddies have fallen to one side and there's little in terms of character development in the other characters. The over the top profanity was fairly amusing and the back drops were pretty but it was very "run and gun" as well as linear. Weapons upgrades are limited to adding ammo capacity and unlocking an alternative fire mode. which was disappointing. I ended the game with masses of unspent skill points, and cruised through most of the second half of the game with over 9000! Models and graphics were nicely done and my ATI 4850 was able to keep up on full detail at 1080p for the most part, which was nice. If I had some groovy Directx 11 card, I might notice it's not quite as good as some other games, but I don't! The only part my PC seemed to have problems with was playing the opening movie smoothly! Some parts of the game seem unpolished e.g. the "press space to jump over something" often seemed a bit shaky. There was more thought required to clear the various killing fields and more possibilities for different tactics, etc in Dead Space 2. I am not against linear games but it's nice when you have to 'work out' how to clear various sections. All in all, fairly amusing, inoffensive (unless you count the language!), nice. detailed if somewhat cartoony graphics, novel if ultimately shallow combat experience. Expand
  8. May 28, 2011
    First off, anyone complaining about Games for Windows live is roughly 1% of the population. The majority of GFWL users don't have issues, and those who do, it can easily be solved with google.

Bulletstorm is a fps that takes place in a paradise...well, it used to be a paradise. Now it's overrun with thugs, bandits, and giant creatures ready to demolish you. The gameplay is fresh, yet very easy. You can simply grapple everything and kill them without hassle. Those you can't grapple, are still vulnerable to the lazer-thump ability.

Bulletstorm has a very immature sense of humor, yet it's still pretty tolerable. I loved the dialogue. But it won't appeal to everyone.

The main problem with Bulletstorm is that it acts like an arcade shooter. It has a point system, is incredibly linear, and has a multiplayer that plays just like single player. So what does all this mean? This game has no replayability. You will not want to beat it more than 1-3 times.

Still, Bulletstorm is fun. Not worth $60-$50, more around $30-$40.
  9. Apr 4, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What I loved:
    -Artwork: The artwork was vibrant and well done.
    -Maps were well done in terms of the amount of space for fighting.
    -Dialogue: It was crass, puerile, and a great change from "I'm Oscar Mike". Awesome use of gratuitous foul language. I enjoyed the jokes as well.
    -Weapons: So many great ways to kill people.
    -Sliding was a blast!
    -Linear FPS game: I usually prefer linear singleplayer FPS games because USUALLY the story moves better. Usually.
    -Act 5:Chapter 3 through Act 7 - Why couldn't most of the game move the plot like this?

On the fence:
    -Difficulty-too easy, but maybe this made the skill shot system more fun?
    -Surprisingly, I didn't miss the ability to jump. I would hit my jump button out of reflex but it wasn't horrible without jumping.

What I hated:
    -3 button presses just to get to the main game menu of the game.
    -GFWL-20 minutes to get into the game. Not game installation time, just getting GFWL to update properly and get to the main menu. You see, it appears you can update GFWL in the game, but you have to restart the game. But there isn't a way to exit the game at this point because you haven't gotten to the main menu. Then you have to update GFWL extrnally but it doesn't tell you that. You just have to guess. Then you can get into the game. This actually put me in a bad mood just to start Bulletstorm. Games should really take off the GFWL tag. they might get more sales.
    -Horrible, horrible PC controls. Did anyone play the PC version? C'mon. The worst weapon switching ever. You can equip 3 weapons but 1 button only swaps between TWO of the weapons. Menu system for buying upgrades/ammo was pretty bad too.
    -Editing the config files to correct the neutered graphics options and input settings was bad too. The .ini files are encrypted so a third party program must be downloaded. All to fix settings like max FPS, FOV, mouse smoothing, mouse sensitivity, etc. The game was unplayable on the lowest sensitivity setting in the GUI.
    -Quicktime events. Oh my god, the quicktime events!!!! Make them stop.
    -Villain wasn't really a villain. Ok, so he had the protagonist assassinate innocent people, but it's such a trite motivation for a vendetta that it didn't really feel evil enough to devote 10 years in revenge. At most, the villain hurt the feelings of the protagonist. In the Count of Monte Cristo, Alexandre Dumas had his protagonist, Edmond Dantes, wrongly thrown in prison for about 13 years. Now that is motivation for revenge! -Game never closed properly. Win7 always popped up with a dialogue asking me to close the program because it stopped working.
    -Act 1 through Act 5 chapter 3-really kinda bored with the story here. Too bad this is most of the game.
  10. May 13, 2011

A little extended review of the game. No spoilers but some swearing. Enjoy.
  11. Jun 2, 2011
    It is a game like Serious Sam with Gears of War. Very casual, goofy and simple.
    The game is not very great with graphics, actually the level between settings are almost the same with very few changes like sun light or a little rocks but after that almost the same at all in high, medium and low quality.
  12. Jul 26, 2012
    A linear, vulgar take on the FPS game, Bulletstorm isn't going to win any awards for originality but it's fast-paced and fun, the best kind of mindless shooter really. I recommend the game to others purely so you can hear Jen Hale (Mass Effect's Femshep) shout "Go **** yourself! You **** piles give chase, I will kill your dicks!".
  13. Jun 9, 2012
    I picked this game up for $5, and this review shall reflect that. If I'd spent $40 or more on this game, it would definitely be rated lower. That being said, I thought this game was alright. Most of the parts came across as just mediocre, though. Some of the parts should have been awesome (remote control in particular), but for some reason they came across as annoying. The shootingI picked this game up for $5, and this review shall reflect that. If I'd spent $40 or more on this game, it would definitely be rated lower. That being said, I thought this game was alright. Most of the parts came across as just mediocre, though. Some of the parts should have been awesome (remote control in particular), but for some reason they came across as annoying. The shooting mechanics themselves were pretty fun, but some of the skillshots are insanely hard to pull off, and forcing yourself to memorize a formula and try it out on a handful of enemies until you get it right more or less takes you out of the "fast-paced and frantic" atmosphere this game tries to pull off. Add that to enemies that can take INSANE numbers of shots, and a field of view so narrow that you won't be able to see jack money squat to your side, and a great game turns merely good. The graphics are alright and the sound was well done, but holy CRAP is most of the voice acting bad. Ishi is completely and utterly devoid of emotion, even though he has tons of emotional lines, and Sarrano's dialogue sounds like it was written by an 11-year old that just learned about swear words. Even Trishka's acting is bad, for the 2 lines in the whole game that she expresses something other than annoyance. Hunt was well-acted, although I'm not surprised since the voice actor is an absolute pro, and is in EVERYTHING. The second half of this game feels like it drags on forever, which is horrible, since Bulletstorm is NOT a long game by anyone's definition. Games for Windows Live (which is required even through Steam) is an absolute turd, and should never ever ever ever be used in a game again EVER. Overall, it was a fun little distraction, and aside from a few infuriatingly annoying parts, I had fun with it. I'm certainly glad I paid $5 for it though. I'd be upset if I had paid more than $10, honestly. Expand
  14. Nov 10, 2011
    Bought this game cheap when it was on sale... Singleplayer is linear and repetitive, but it's still fun... Good buy when on sale. Good buy under $10.
  15. Dec 10, 2011
    Bulletstorm feels like a wasted opportunity for me, there isn't much to keep you playing this one. The campaign follows the story of Grayson Hunt some drunk,loudmouthed space pirate out for revenge against his former leader; General Sarrano who had him and his squad kill innocents for his own gain. So basically he finds his ship and suicidally takes him down and crashes over some planetBulletstorm feels like a wasted opportunity for me, there isn't much to keep you playing this one. The campaign follows the story of Grayson Hunt some drunk,loudmouthed space pirate out for revenge against his former leader; General Sarrano who had him and his squad kill innocents for his own gain. So basically he finds his ship and suicidally takes him down and crashes over some planet failed utopia called Stygia. When he awakens him and his homicidal crazy robot human friend try to finish Sarrano going through hordes of crazy mutants to do so.
    Anyway the whole thing Bulletstorm has going for it is the "kill with skill" feature which rewards players for getting creative with their kills with skill points to upgrade weapons. While this is very unique, the novelty soon wears off. A lot of the cool kill sections in the game are scripted or blatantly obvious. And the skill points system eventually becomes redundant as well, essentially being used as an ammo refill system soon enough. Because of this there just feel like any incentive to kill with skill, eventually I just became bored and ended up using the bullet slide/kick/leash trick over and over and over again. If the game featured something like destructible environments then that would be awesome, imagine it, leasing any kind of debris you want and kicking it in your enemy's face. Sadly though, not to be.
    Still the game looks amazing running on the Unreal 3 engine. Huge vistas and excellent graphical effects really do make Stygia a convincing planet. That is also another point, Stygia really does feel like a failed utopia. Enciroments vary greatly with overgrown cities to mountains to sewers to industrial plants mean you never play through the same environment too much
    Story wise however things aren't so great, Grayson Hunt just feels like a loudmouthed delinquent version of Marcus Fenix, Ishi (his robo buddy) is the only one who actually has a believible backstory, a soldier implanted with technology to save his life after the crash, only to have to battle it for control of his body. However his dialogue is just plain awful, it's not even cheesy it's just crap. With lines like "Yes Gray, I will kill them all" in some fake robot voice. And that can be said for a lot of the dialogue in Bulletstorm, the game over uses swearing and dick jokes with lines like "What the dick?!" and "holy dick!" . Don't get me wrong I'm all for swearing and innuendos in games but not when every other sentence in the game is a dick joke (I'm not even joking)
    After you beat the campaign which is quite long might I add. There is anarchy mode, this is like horde only it isn't very hard and in some tiny arena while you fight the same easily defeatable enemys over and over. Anarchy gets stale very quickly, there is also an extreme lack of any features really. You can customise your leash colour, PMC skin and armour. That's it and it's not even really fun to play even with friends as it requires no teamwork at all. The very best you can do to get a laugh out of this is to do a Darth Vader style hold with the leash.
    There's also echoes mode which takes the best bits of the single player and puts them in a time trial style test with a leaderboard. But again this quickly gets boring and after a while there's no reason to play it. In addition, the story is forgettable and the ending is just pointless, unnessecary sequel bait.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't hate this game. It's not the worst game ever. Some of the guns are fun to use and sometimes the jokes are funny (SOMETIMES!). But I just got bored with this and it been on my shelf for a few months now.
    Pros:
    Fun guns
    Graphics
    Humour(if it's your thing)
    Cons: Forgettable story and characters
    No replay value
    Boring additional modes
    Lame ending
    Terrible dialogue
  16. Apr 1, 2012
    This was a nice new addition to the FPS world, Its a breath of fresh air compared to Battlefield and Call Of Duty. The game-play feels allot like a First person Gears Of War with a style that is more insane than Borderlands. Its unique skill shot combined with the amazing guns gives an awesome and huge number of possible killing combinations. This will give you a new look on the FPS genreThis was a nice new addition to the FPS world, Its a breath of fresh air compared to Battlefield and Call Of Duty. The game-play feels allot like a First person Gears Of War with a style that is more insane than Borderlands. Its unique skill shot combined with the amazing guns gives an awesome and huge number of possible killing combinations. This will give you a new look on the FPS genre and bring a healthy change to the normal modern day shooters that flood the market currently. You will get many hours of fun from completing challenges and gaining achievements while enjoying an insane and over the top style game-play, scenery and audio. But there is a downside to this game as the Multiplayer is much to be desired, Being the challenges with others just lowering the difficulties and making combo moves more and more difficult with more people in the lobbies. I constantly found my kills being stolen and my combos being interrupted. The story is much to be desired as there is allot that goes unexplained and allot not explained well, This in the dark or need to know style of story telling didn't fit well with me and I stopped playing this game rather quickly. Would I recommend this yes I would it is entertaining and fresh but only if you have a large pocket of disposable income as it will not last long and gives around 2 - 3 months of fun before it for lack of a better term gets old. Expand
  17. Dec 31, 2012
    It's more like an interactive video rather than a game! I don't say that this is a BAD game, no, because it's really fun and satisfying to kill enemies. But it's too simple, you must only do what the game tells you to do, there's no challenge.
    The multi-player isn't bad, it can be fun with friends. Maybe.
    Ah, and another thing. THE ENDING IS AWFUL. ONE OF THE WORST ENDINGS EVER MADE IN A GAME.
  18. Jun 12, 2012
    I thought the main campaign was fairly repetitive. The weapons available and the accompanying system for them is somewhat lacking. The dialogue is entertaining and the graphics are aesthetically pleasing if you can run them on the higher end. The campaign took me just under 7 hours without too much effort. Multiplayer refuses to work for me, due to the ever horrid windows live attached toI thought the main campaign was fairly repetitive. The weapons available and the accompanying system for them is somewhat lacking. The dialogue is entertaining and the graphics are aesthetically pleasing if you can run them on the higher end. The campaign took me just under 7 hours without too much effort. Multiplayer refuses to work for me, due to the ever horrid windows live attached to the game like a tumor. I'd recommend it to anyone for a once through if they could borrow it or rent it for a day. I got it for free as a steam gift from a friend, otherwise I wouldn't spend more than maybe 10 bucks on it. Expand
  19. Oct 9, 2012
    Fairly entertaining shooter that goes outside of recent year's "mold" for FPSs. When I saw the trailer for this game I was genuinely exited. I thought, OMG someone gets it, this is going to be the Unreal/Quake revival era of FPSs. Everything seemed to indicate they were making a similar fast phased/total destruction/chaos frantic FPS with a Sci-Fi Space theme that doesn't take himself tooFairly entertaining shooter that goes outside of recent year's "mold" for FPSs. When I saw the trailer for this game I was genuinely exited. I thought, OMG someone gets it, this is going to be the Unreal/Quake revival era of FPSs. Everything seemed to indicate they were making a similar fast phased/total destruction/chaos frantic FPS with a Sci-Fi Space theme that doesn't take himself too seriously. Theoretically, that's what Bulletstorm "is" or tried to do. Unfortunately I have to say it did fall a bit short of the hyped up expectations, but you also have to consider that it had some big shoes to fill. I mean this game was marketed towards the old Quake/Unreal fans, the classic FPS players (like me) that were craving for a good fast phased chaotic FPS like old times. While Bulletstorm is definitely in that ballpark, doesn't live quiet to the standards set by the old timers. Too many cut scenes, that while fun, they end up breaking the continuity of the game. Again, something that old FPSs didn't have. The campaign is incredibly fun, the art and graphics are beautiful, SPECIALLY if played in 3D Vision. The controls and mechanics were as expected and I was quite pleased with them, very responsive, fast phased and with that old Unreal/Quake touch (in a way, not entirely). Conclusion: Bulletstorm definitely breaks the mold of today's FPSs and "tries" to take you back to the old glorious days of campaign centered, fast phased, chaotic FPSs. Definitely better than any of the current "junk FPSs" like CoD, MW, etc, etc that kids like today. BUT, unfortunately, it's not a revival of Quake or Unreal, which is what most of us expected, the idea is there tough, so good hopes for the future of this franchise. Overall the game is very fun and well worth the price tag at launch, let alone the lower prices it's going for today. Expand
  20. Mar 17, 2011
    Bulletstorm is difficult to judge. On one hand, the overpowered, foulmouthed, muscular heroes are reminiscent of Duke Nukem or Serious Sam (which is a good thing.) It's nice, after the stale Call Of Duty clone black hole games are falling into, to have something that feels like a throwback while still using beautiful graphics and fun, innovative gameplay.

The skillshot system is very fun,

The skillshot system is very fun, although the player tends to lapse into the same few kills over and over. The weapons are not hugely diverse, but there are still enough of them to bring several different tactics to the table. The environments are gorgeous, and the enemies and gore are plentiful.

Arguably the worst thing about Bulletstorm is that it is a console port - and it feels like one. The control scheme is very minimal and uses some rather odd configurations (like using space rather than enter in the menus) but you get used to it. Interestingly enough it borrows (or perhaps loaned) a few different moves from the upcoming Crysis 2, such as kicking and sliding, but I actually prefer the way Bulletstorm does it. The other big complaint is the cutscenes- there is a lot of pre-scripted action where you lose control, as well as key events that actually freeze the game until you do what you're told in an attempt to avoid that cutscene feeling and force interaction.

I don't personally consider Bulletstorm to be worth a full $60, but the game is still very, very fun, despite its flaws.
  21. Apr 14, 2012
    A good game suffers from a bad port job. The first thing about this game that guided me down the road to realizing it was a bad port was the necessity of signing into Games for Windows LIVE to play it. This isn't 2005, nobody uses that anymore. Use Steam. Secondly, and this was big for me, sniping is broke. You can't "free snipe" as you have to lock on to someone (the person you want toA good game suffers from a bad port job. The first thing about this game that guided me down the road to realizing it was a bad port was the necessity of signing into Games for Windows LIVE to play it. This isn't 2005, nobody uses that anymore. Use Steam. Secondly, and this was big for me, sniping is broke. You can't "free snipe" as you have to lock on to someone (the person you want to snipe) if you want to fire. And i found out that sometimes it doesnt lock on to anyone, especially on the later levels. Third, the story, though a decent length, still isn't something to marvel over and could have been longer. Multiplayer is boring and not worth your time. And on a side note, don't blame pirates for your game not selling well. Blame the **** job you did porting it over to PC. Now go sit in a corner and go think about what you've done. Expand
  22. Apr 23, 2011
    Bulletstorm is a NON-STOP action ride of a game, you're put in the shoes of an epic sci-fi action adventure, with whipping, kicking and smashing enemies into creative montages of death and dismemberment. Game is hands down BEAUTIFUL as far as graphics, every set piece is well designed and simply awe inspiring. As far as story goes, pretty straight forward, you're a space pirate formerlyBulletstorm is a NON-STOP action ride of a game, you're put in the shoes of an epic sci-fi action adventure, with whipping, kicking and smashing enemies into creative montages of death and dismemberment. Game is hands down BEAUTIFUL as far as graphics, every set piece is well designed and simply awe inspiring. As far as story goes, pretty straight forward, you're a space pirate formerly part of an elite military squadron that went rogue when you find out that your commanding superior is just a straight up dick. Some time later, You being a drunk space pirate, decided to take on your former commanders battleship with your puny pirate spaceship, therefore crashing both ships into a deserted resort planet run by former prison inmates who built the resort. The beauty of the game comes in the form of its "SKILL SHOT" system in which you find the most creative ways to kill your enemies, whether you leash them with your whip, shoot them in mid-flight and proceed to kick them into an environmental hazard such as giant cacti, huge walls of rebar, or explosive barrels. I found myself barely shooting my gun and using the leash and boot as the most effective yet hilarious ways of dispatching my foes...As far as the enemy AI goes, they're dumber than a box of bricks but I imagine the enemy AI is purely there for you to destroy them as many ways as possible. The games path itself is very linear, and does not allow for any stray paths, you are pretty much just running from place to place with dialogue scenes in-between that tense up the story. The ending itself is very weak, but it leaves it wide open for a sequel. As far as replay value goes, its very high for a short time, until you unlock all skill shots, and it just gets boring, the MP is very limited and doesn't offer much more excitement, especially when you can only advance if your teammates cooperate in "team skillshots". I give this game a 7 because of its intuitive and genuinely fun gameplay mechanics, it lost points because of a weak MP portion and the replay value of killing your enemies in a number of ways DOES grow old, no matter what all the "PRO BULLETSTORMers" say.. Expand
  23. Feb 25, 2011
    Stepping into familiar gameplay territory and adding a few unique characteristics, Bulletstorm is a solid and enjoyable title but does not break any new ground. The biggest selling points for the game, being the "leash" and "kick" abilities are amusing but sadly not fun enough - or useful enough - to hold your interest throughout the duration of the game. These two features were initiallyStepping into familiar gameplay territory and adding a few unique characteristics, Bulletstorm is a solid and enjoyable title but does not break any new ground. The biggest selling points for the game, being the "leash" and "kick" abilities are amusing but sadly not fun enough - or useful enough - to hold your interest throughout the duration of the game. These two features were initially touted to be crucial to gameplay, promising endless and creative kill combinations but sadly end up being for the most part mildy useful "utilities". Gameplay is your typical arcade-esque action shooter spliced with regular cut-scenes and well-scripted boss events, which are entertaining but not incredibly involving. Action is very comic-book oriented with exaggerated gore, massive ammo-clips and plenty of dismemberment all combined with a bus-load of profanity, corny catch-phrases and even momma jokes. The much hyped leash enables you to execute some interesting kills and awards you points (skillshots) for creatively slaying your enemies. There are many award kills you can obtain, but unfortunately sometimes I found they did not register. I particularly enjoyed running into a mob, pulling them one-by-one though the air towards me, removing their heads, then booting them off a precipe or impaling them onto a set of conveniently placed spikes. The moderate selection of guns are limited but fun to use - mowing down a group a punks with a minigun and watching them quickly turn to gibs and detached limbs is a guilty pleasure, and one you'll indulge in often. There is of course a gun sight but it aint really that useful - with most guns you can pretty much get the job done with the standard reticle and ignore the sights altogether. Level design is clever and thoughtful, but unfortunately completely linear and filled to the brim with invisible barriers. There were annoying instances where I got stuck on the edge of a 2 foot-high ramp and and couldn't drop to the floor - which as you would understand caused me to swallow a few loud curses of frustration. These sort of things become a problem when no jump button is available, only a keypress to leap over preset obstacles. Graphics are a definate strongpoint of Bulletstorm and the game regularly places beautiful vistas with massive draw distances in front of your eyes. You will notice the Unreal engine at work immediately, and while it's starting to show its age it still never fails to impress. Eyecandy is everywhere from huge river gorges, detailed alien cities, gloomy caves, dusty mines and flashy spacecraft interiors. Colors are vibrant and textures are sharp, along with fluid character animations and of course plenty of colourful blood to splash over it all. There is never a scenario where the game looks dull. It's a shame the "corridors" of linear gameplay are so restrictive.. it would have been nice to explore some of that scenery further. The multiplayer is a basic, but rather suitable affair consisting of two modes, 'Anarchy' and 'Echo'. Anarchy mode is similar Gears of War 2's Horde mode. You and three other players fight off increasingly difficult waves of enemies trying to get the highest 'skillshot'. Echo mode is a solitary affair. It lets you play through the single-player map of your choice trying to get the highest score possible. The scores are then posted on a leaderboard in which you can compare with all your friends. Multiplayer lacks options and depth but is still fun to play and meshes with this type of game nicely. In conclusion I think I expected too much from this game and can't help reflect my disappointment in this review. Its 9 or so hours of gameplay are still enjoyable but never provide you with a feeling of accomplishment or even inspiration to keep playing. The boss fights are always something to look forward to and the story meanders between interesting and cheesy, but I still enjoyed it enough to recommend it. If you need a break from your try-hard realistic shooters and are looking for something a little more colorful and offbeat, then Bulletstorm will undoubtedly be just for you. Just don't expect the game-changing experience it promised. Expand
  24. Mar 7, 2011
    Repetition, grindy and limiting gun upgrade system, and lame ending didn't help this game at all. I have to say though, there were some really amazing and extremely fun parts to this game. From controlling a robot dinosaur and running from a giant wheel, well, there are definitely kick butt aspects to what this game 'can' deliver. I didn't like how the Leash has to be charged to use theRepetition, grindy and limiting gun upgrade system, and lame ending didn't help this game at all. I have to say though, there were some really amazing and extremely fun parts to this game. From controlling a robot dinosaur and running from a giant wheel, well, there are definitely kick butt aspects to what this game 'can' deliver. I didn't like how the Leash has to be charged to use the Thumper, and also that the upgrade system for guns seemed grindy as well as having to buy ammo. I think that the XBOX live culture is encouraging the achievement obsession way too much and this is getting into games in all the wrong ways. It definitely didn't sever Bulletstorm that well. It's funny for a while to get some of the achievements in this game, and to also punish your enemies with world objects, but in the end that is the whole game. It is too much of the shooting and not enough of the mind blowing game play I was hoping for. The most annoying part was the teenage immature types of voice overs you keep having to listen to over and over again. I mean really it gets old after the first few times, and yet you are stuck with a Duke Nukem wanna be. This game could have been way better, perhaps the sequel will deliver. Expand
  25. Mar 10, 2011
    I must say that I wanted to rate this game higher then a 7 but I could not find myself to do so. I played the game to the end and enjoyed it but it seemed like that was it. It felt short, some of the weapons were useless to me, and the graphic options were disappointing, I did not like being locked at 60fps, also it seemed like there severe downsides to the unreal engine, certain aspectsI must say that I wanted to rate this game higher then a 7 but I could not find myself to do so. I played the game to the end and enjoyed it but it seemed like that was it. It felt short, some of the weapons were useless to me, and the graphic options were disappointing, I did not like being locked at 60fps, also it seemed like there severe downsides to the unreal engine, certain aspects seemed seriously dated, but overall was nice graphical experience. I see no re-playability. Felt like a 1 shot pony. Like a movie u see and liked but soon forget about. Expand
  26. Mar 8, 2011
    Score++: A great arcade shooter that gets right to the point -- shooting stuff in style. The combination of skillshots possible via kicking, sliding, leashing, and the various weapons is enough to keep you amused through the campaign. The story is mediocre but enough to keep your interest (besides, I purchased this to blow stuff up, not sit down for story time).

Score--: Multi-player

Score--: Multi-player matchmaking has served to only place me in the most lag-filled matches. The single-player campaign is short (beat in 8 hours).

Overall: I have no qualms recommending this to someone who wants an entertaining, albeit short, arcade shooter -- just don't expect the multiplayer to be revolutionary from the singleplayer.
  27. Apr 21, 2011
    On paper it sound fantastic, mature comedy, shooting and kick ass with silly gadgets, being able to whip and throw folk around into objects for special kills, remote control godzillas. The cold reality is sadly a near hit with quite a lot of downers... the graphics go from average to amazing but quite often texturing is poor (console port again) and the much hyped bizarre deaths areOn paper it sound fantastic, mature comedy, shooting and kick ass with silly gadgets, being able to whip and throw folk around into objects for special kills, remote control godzillas. The cold reality is sadly a near hit with quite a lot of downers... the graphics go from average to amazing but quite often texturing is poor (console port again) and the much hyped bizarre deaths are overused so frequently that it just gets old real fast, and quickly becomes too easy to rely on the whipping of enemies than shooting them. Expand
  28. May 21, 2011
    Quite fun while it lasts but it does become rather repetitive and the whole skill shots are very poorly written into the story. The graphics engine is very old and outdated but they still used it very well though.
  29. May 23, 2011
    Single play was really fun, good over the top shooter, gfx where excellent if a little to shiney. multiplayer should have had a player vs player mode but its still fun to play against the computer, with other people... EXCEPT WHEN THEY CANT DO A SIMPLE DAS BOOT!!!
  30. Jul 7, 2011
    Bulletstorm is a unique game, to say the least, and if your not a fan of action games, leave right now, because that's all this game is.

But it's a fun game, Bulletstorm isnt a graphical marvel or a story-driven saga starter, far from both might I add. The story is downright boring, and the graphics are less than marvellous, but the game is fun for one key reason, humour. This game is hilarious, and the kill with skill feature only adds to the hilarity, characters will constantly make smart ass jokes and make fun of each other with actual wit, I had a couple of burst out laughing moments a few times in this game. And if your a fan of Epic's previous games such as Gears of War, you'll feel pretty much at home here, with their trademark Unreal Engine in full effect, the blood coming from enemies torn torsos looks almost identical to that if you were cutting a locust in half with a chainsaw (although a bit brighter in Bulletstorm). I'd like to describe this game as a "Funnier, more happy approach to Gears of War", and thats what you can expect buying Bulletstorm.

Final notes: Fun game with lots of Humour and blood, perfect for any action junky who likes a good laugh, bad for everyone else.
  31. Apr 17, 2011
    i liked this game but ssomething **** it up i liked the skill kills and **** but come on there is to much lag. anyway the story is like a **** up version of cod mw2
  32. Feb 24, 2011
    I have to say that I have not played through the entire game but what I have seen so far is disappointing. Simply put, it promised to bring something new to the fps genre, the only thing it brought me was boredom. I am not claiming that this a terrible game, but your average fps.
  33. Jul 24, 2016
    Price paid: £3.74
    Time to finish: 6 hours 6 minutes
    Score: 7/10 Recommended?: Yes, when on sale A pretty damn good game but a sub par PC port. It takes a good 30 minutes of tinkering with custom DLLs, decrypters and config tweaks before it feels playable but once you've done all the sodding about there's an enjoyable game to be played. It starts off pretty slowly and honestly I
    Price paid: £3.74
    Time to finish: 6 hours 6 minutes
    Score: 7/10
    Recommended?: Yes, when on sale

It starts off pretty slowly and honestly I wasn't enjoying it that much in the beginning, but it really does get better and better as it goes on and by the end I had fallen somewhat in love with it, in big part due to the characters which were just fantastic, all voiced very well with some brilliant and frankly offensive dialog that I just loved, it's not often you get a game filled with such language that actually pulls it off well instead of just being cringey. All the main characters really felt alive and it really helped push the story along, you didn't just feel like you were mowing down enemies for no reason, you knew their motivation and you wanted to help them get the job done.

The combat itself was solid, sure the enemies were a bit bullet spongy but the weapons were all enjoyable to use and the enemies had decent variety. There were so many unique and fun ways to kill that it never got boring.

Overall I'm shocked how much I enjoyed it by the end as it started off really average IMO but it just kept on improving and the ending was well done. If it had been a better port I would have given it an 8/10, but they really did do the bare minimum. I highly recommend picking it up in the next sale, add it to isthereanydeal right now!
  34. May 9, 2015
    I am totally disappointed with this game. I was expecting something else altogether at a better story, more interesting. Play a little messes .
  35. Oct 22, 2014
    One word to describe this game? Fun. It's not going to be a contender for GOTY any time soon, but give it a chance. One of the most outrageous games out there
  36. Mar 20, 2011
    The PC version is full glitches and bugs. You have to edit encrypted .ini files just to play the game properly. It runs like crap at 16:10 resolutions. 16bit textures appear randomly, shadow effects are glitchy, FOV value is for consoles, FPS cap is retarded. To sum up, don't waste your money by buying this game on PC because it is nothing but a horrible port. I hope next time they hire atThe PC version is full glitches and bugs. You have to edit encrypted .ini files just to play the game properly. It runs like crap at 16:10 resolutions. 16bit textures appear randomly, shadow effects are glitchy, FOV value is for consoles, FPS cap is retarded. To sum up, don't waste your money by buying this game on PC because it is nothing but a horrible port. I hope next time they hire at least ONE QA guy to at least test this game once before shipping. Because the vanilla PC version is just plain unplayable. I mean what were they thinking? Collapse

1. PC PowerPlay
    Apr 18, 2011
    Bulletstorm is perfectly designed to appeal to the 14 year old boys who can't buy it because it's rated MA15+. [May 2011, p.64]
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Apr 6, 2011
    While not a game that would alter the flow of history, Bulletstorm proved to be very pleasant and an extremely aberrant surprise not lacking the ability of self-irony. [Mar 2011]
  3. Apr 4, 2011
    If you are looking for a simple and entertaining shooter, that's not a Call of Duty clone, which offers lots of humour and a great story, Bulletstorm could be for you.