7.5

1. JohnK.
    Sep 28, 2006
    Brings back the feeling of Caesar 3, the greatest city game ever built. Ceasar 4 is a bit too complex with the city building it self, but the commerce, trade and all is perfectly balanced.
  2. Dec 6, 2010
    The guy at PC gamer who decided to give this gem a 54 is one heartless bastard. This game is exactly what someone who has been playing the Impression titles from the start could ask for. It perfectly recaptures the same relaxing tension and excitement with breathtaking visuals and detail. Nothing is as satisfying and rewarding as looking at the living, breathing city that you created inThe guy at PC gamer who decided to give this gem a 54 is one heartless bastard. This game is exactly what someone who has been playing the Impression titles from the start could ask for. It perfectly recaptures the same relaxing tension and excitement with breathtaking visuals and detail. Nothing is as satisfying and rewarding as looking at the living, breathing city that you created in this game. While the military aspect is still somewhat lacking, at least it's more elaborate than past iterations. The only problem is that even today it's very hard to run, looking at a whole city makes a modern gaming rig crawl. But even then you still go back to panoramic view as soon as you're done building, it's just too good looking. Expand
  3. ChristerH.
    Oct 30, 2007
    All in all a great game. I like it a lot and it is VERY difficult to actually stop playing, its always just this and that to do do. Very exciting. The battle game is pretty lame though, but that doesnt bother me.
  4. JustinM.
    Oct 6, 2006
    Its fun and addictive, unlike that wonky CivCity game that has the tendency to glitch and never have enough jobs. The engine is prettier and lively, and the pacing is just right. But unfortunately, it is just another City Builder, so if you are not a nut for this genre, or history in general, you might be put off by it. Oh yeah, if you buy it retail, make sure to download the patch.
  5. JohnF.
    Sep 26, 2006
    Welcome back Caesar! We have missed you. What a great game.
  6. JohnT
    Sep 29, 2006
    In no way does this game deserve a ten. It's the EXACT same as the rest of the Caesar series. All that Simon Bradbury ever does with his games is re-release them over and over with a slightly new graphics engine. Granted Caesar IV has the greatest change between it and Caesar III, but that's why I gave it a 1. Please do not reward the laziness of this man.
  7. JamesH.
    Sep 30, 2006
    It crashes with great regularity, even with high power game machines.
  8. MarkW.
    Oct 18, 2006
    Decent gameplay as a city builder, but constant crashes and lame battle system keeps this game from being a great game.
  9. StuartB.
    Dec 1, 2006
    This could have been so good. I play BF2, 2142 ect and these are cpu/mem intensive and they don't crash, so why does C4 crash every 10 mins? Shoddy code, no thought, turns a great game into a rubbish one.
  10. FredM.
    Oct 21, 2006
    Didn't have any hardware problems (but they are numerous). There are endless hours of gameplay here, but they quickly become long and tedious. The missions are badly balanced, and the interface is a leap backwards compared to Caesar III. Due to bad programming, if the game starts to lag your city will probably burn down. Not cool.
  11. MacS.
    Nov 17, 2006
    Full of bugs, crashing each 10 minutes! Empty of fun, maps are really small and you fell etricated within........ again a sub-standard game released, I'm just upset about me being caught again with pre-ordering.
  12. Jul 11, 2013
    I have to agree with the negative feed on this game. It's one of those that you will either hate or love. For me, I didn't like it at all. After a few days of play, it got boring and repetitive. A rush it seemed to get things done as quickly as possible. Not much fun. If you want a good City Builder, avoid this one like the medieval plague and play Civ 4, Imperium Romanum or Grand Ages Rome. 5/10
  13. PhilipL.
    Oct 2, 2006
    Finally! God, you guys don't know how long I waited for this!
  14. GeorgeA.
    Oct 4, 2006
    Hopelessly addicted to this game! WOW
  15. HemantG.
    Sep 22, 2006
    The previous versions fo this game were really good and this version is really excellent. I love to play this game and it's very exciting too.

In terms of sheer strategic depth, there's not a city-builder out there that can match it.
    All of a sudden, instead of dealing with urban sprawl and water rights, you're tasked with using a bunch of poorly controlled, dim-bulb A.I. legionnaires to defend against invading hordes. Battles have nothing to do with tactics, being determined only by who has the bigger, better-equipped force.
  3. Online or offline, as a campaign or a freeform scenario, Caesar IV is an inviting game, easy to like and hard to stop playing. It's got a fairly forgiving learning curve, and it will rarely plunge you into the sort of economic death spirals that can make other city builders so discouraging.