7.6

1. Dec 26, 2011
    I despise giving a game based on Lovecraft works a 0, but that's all I can do for this miserable pile of bugs and nonsense. Usually I can ignore bugs and compensate to deal with tiny issues, but this game was full of (as much as I hate this term) game breaking bugs. First off: CRASHES GALORE! I have never seen a game crash this much, even when it was patched. You can't alt+tab and comeI despise giving a game based on Lovecraft works a 0, but that's all I can do for this miserable pile of bugs and nonsense. Usually I can ignore bugs and compensate to deal with tiny issues, but this game was full of (as much as I hate this term) game breaking bugs. First off: CRASHES GALORE! I have never seen a game crash this much, even when it was patched. You can't alt+tab and come back or it crashes. I know this because of the many times I had to (regrettably) look at a guide for the game because what you were supposed to do was so incredibly unclear and ridiculous that I had no other option. A random crowbar the same color as the texture it's sitting on in a random location that is necessary to progress? Check. A conveniently carved out hole in the middle of a solid wooden crate for you to crawl through to get behind an enemy gunner? Check. The final blow for me was at the first appearance of a real monster: a Shoggoth. Straight out of Lovecraft, terrifying as hell, aaaaand bugged. To pass it, the monster must attack you with it's tendril, which is supposed to stick in place so you can run past the spot it was blocking. Instead, half of the time it will one shot you, the other half it won't stick, it'll just go back to the default position instantly and get you stuck. After 3 days of constant frustration, this is where I quit. The shooting is also absolutely horrendous (I felt like I was playing the first Medal of Honor game, but worse), and unfair (instant death by headshot is incredibly common and unpreventable). The only good thing about this game was the horror elements; The sanity effects, the eerie mood, the sounds, everything was pure Lovecraft and it was fantastic. Sadly, I never got to experience it in full, because between every 5 minute horror sequence was 2 hours of frustrating, buggy shooting and nonsense. So disappointing. Expand
  2. Dec 30, 2011
    It had a fantastic story but was ruined by frequent crashes. The no HUD is good for immersion but it would have helped so much during the times when i was getting shot at.
  3. Mar 16, 2013
    this is my favourite game ever, a very atmospheric game with great story that gives u chills on your spine.i feel so sorry that the company who made this game is no more, i wanted more great horror
  4. Feb 3, 2012
    Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of The Earth (Steam PC) Released 2006 (Head First Productions / Bethesda Softworks)
    Played date 2012.02
    Genre: Horror Adventure Overall Score: 6 Controls: 7 Graphics: 7 Story: 9 Audio: 10 DRM: Steam [Playthrough] I was interested in getting to know about the Cthulhu World through the eyes of game artists but I had never read any of the books or played the
    Played date 2012.02
    Genre: Horror Adventure

Overall Score: 6
    Controls: 7
    Graphics: 7
    Story: 9
    Audio: 10
    DRM: Steam

[Playthrough] I was interested in getting to know about the Cthulhu World through the eyes of game artists but I had never read any of the books or played the RPGs; I went in expecting nothing. I really enjoyed this story and the mood set by the game, in fact for the first four hours the game was freaking me out. All hell started to break loose in the game.... there are many difficult sequences that end in death and require reloading....but as I was in it for the game-story-environment so I held in there. I leaned heavily on a walk-through to get through the game - but I could never finish it.... the last sequence was just to hard ! ! ! Play this on â
  5. May 13, 2011
    I couldn't figure out what the heck this game wanted me to do and was confused and frustrated right from the beginning. The art design seems great and the inspirationg from HP Lovecraft is awesome, but this game is just not any good. It's a real shame that it has to be such a vague, confusing, and bland adaptation of great ideas.
  6. May 9, 2012
    Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is a horror FPS game set in the mad world of H.P. Lovecraft's works. The player is a private investigator tasked with investigating a disappearance in the village of Innsmouth, which would be familiar to fans of Lovecraft.

The game is heavily focused on the horror aspect - for the first long time you're not armed and merely have to explore or avoid the locals, which makes for a mighty frightening experience. The game operates with a madness-counter of sorts, and the more mentally stressful things you see or experience the more this counter will rise. The result is some heavy blurring of vision and such, which is a very cool and very unwelcome effect in some challenging situation.

The story is captivating and stays true to Lovecraftian horror - the main character commits suicide in the opening scene after which the game jumps back six months and accounts the events that led up to the suicide. The game has no HUD but rather communicates though sound, post processing and such, which adds a lot to the feel of the game.

There are flaws in the game though. Whereas the first couple of acts have a very high quality the quality drops around the middle of the game. The story makes less sense, the environments are less inspiring and you get the impression that it's added merely increase game time. The quality rises again near the end though and delivers a satisfying conclusion after some of the more mediocre parts. The game operates with save points, so you will find yourself doing the difficult parts of the game over and over. Also it won't run on some video cards (google it before you buy it). This is a problem that won't ever be fixed as the developer is not in business any more.

Definitely one of the better games I've played in the genre, and one of the only ones I think captured the spirits of Lovecraft's works.
  7. Sep 3, 2012
    I only dream of what this game was supposed to be. Originally, this game was supposed to be a much larger, non-linear RPG-type storyline, including more characters and locations, as well as a co-op system for up to four players. This would have enabled players to pick one of four characters and carry out their own investigation independently or team up with the others. A multiplayerI only dream of what this game was supposed to be. Originally, this game was supposed to be a much larger, non-linear RPG-type storyline, including more characters and locations, as well as a co-op system for up to four players. This would have enabled players to pick one of four characters and carry out their own investigation independently or team up with the others. A multiplayer version of the game would have allowed for on-line deathmatch battles in specifically designed levels. A lot of other features, such as high environment interactivity, were also scrapped due to budget and time constraints and problems with the level design. Multi-player would have drawn a larger interest from the PVP/PVE crowd who don't like single player games to enjoy with their friends. A larger RPG element and environment interactivity, along with editing tools would have created a community continuously willing to improve game play, graphics and providing new content to explore. This game has neither element. It's heavily scripted and very linear, with only one path through the chapters from start to finish. Lots of good things can be said, its scary, eerie and creepy. The sound quality is nice. Lovecraft's work in it. The graphics look nice. It has a small fan base to patch it well enough for playability, relative to other games currently available. The vanilla version is buggier than Virginia, USA in the summertime. The learning tutorial is non-existent, so you simply have to dive into the key mapping to know what you are doing. It's not the next best thing to propel the thriller/horror based video game genre to a whole new level. I am sad that Bethesda Softworks had anything to do with its release, because it's nothing like Skyrim or Fallout. It's Bethesda 'light'. No light deserves to be in a Cthulhu game. Expand
  8. Nov 26, 2013
    First I must say, this is one of my favourite games. Despite its age, it's still a good game if you're looking for a horror game with a good story. The gun play might not be that good and the game does become slightly less good once you get a gun, but even there it's still above average. I expecialy liked the fact that they didn't add the crosshair, it really adds to the immersion andFirst I must say, this is one of my favourite games. Despite its age, it's still a good game if you're looking for a horror game with a good story. The gun play might not be that good and the game does become slightly less good once you get a gun, but even there it's still above average. I expecialy liked the fact that they didn't add the crosshair, it really adds to the immersion and difficulty. But I don't think that anyone would play this game because of the shooting part (btw you only get your first gun after about 40% of the game). The game really shines when you don't have any weapons and must use stealth and your wits to outsmart your opponents. It also isn't a game to play if you want to blow up some steam, because it also includes some "brain" because of the many puzzles you'll have to solve. Expand
  9. Aug 1, 2013
    I understand that its a horror game and all, but i HATE checkpoints. when the game crashes and you haven't been near a check point in a while, you will understand what i mean. this is a nice game with a nice story, but it is RUINED because it is dependent on finding a glyph on the wall to save. I am busy and have to stop what i am doing sometimes to do something important, and the checkI understand that its a horror game and all, but i HATE checkpoints. when the game crashes and you haven't been near a check point in a while, you will understand what i mean. this is a nice game with a nice story, but it is RUINED because it is dependent on finding a glyph on the wall to save. I am busy and have to stop what i am doing sometimes to do something important, and the check point system is garbage. SHAME ON THE DEVELOPERS. Expand
  10. Aug 1, 2013
    So many bugs and the gameplay is boring and agonizing. I'm not sure how anyone could rate this game above a 1, with the amount of times you die because you go into an area with no escape due to bugs it's plain unplayable. I completed the game only because it was highly recommended by a friend, but I hated it all the way through.
  11. Jul 22, 2013
    Even many years later, this remains one of the creepiest, coolest and most fun games around. You don't have to be a Lovecraft fan to love the craft 9sorry) that has been put into this compelling story.
  12. Aug 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I see this game as practically a prototype for survival horror games that have come since penumbra, amnesia, etc… although not in a good way but it does win points for it, like the first types of aeroplanes. The graphics are good for its time of release (but if you’re using a newer graphics card you might want to read up on installation) however the light effects are in summary “dark and light” this ruins a few of the stealth elements when there’s a light on and your staring eye to eye with an enemy that doesn’t notice you 2m in front of him. The gameplay is hit or miss depending on the level, the stealth and shooting is fine but without a sprint options all the chase scenes look like a corny silent film chase. Once you get the crowbar/guns it goes from being a Lovecraft survival horror game to Half Life in 1920’s New England, start off with the crowbar companions the die off all the time government conspiracy with alien portals better weapons industrial facility stationary claw/arm monster alien sea world vs. alien space world alien tech final boss that’s both easy and a letdown.

Also there’s a game breaking glitch at the boat level when you need to shoot the island’s sages on PC with new graphics cards.
  13. Jul 9, 2014
    With Call of Cthulhu (COC) appearing in so many "Top 100 Games Of All Time" lists, and as a huge Lovecraft fan, I was eager to play this game.

Many people have discussed the game's instability and bugs, particularly on newer systems. This is all true, but the game's most major problem is poor design, pure and simple. The game commits numerous cardinal sins of game design that make the whole experience a frustrating mess for the player.

When the game works, as it does occasionally, it is extremely eerie and atmospheric. In particular, the hotel escape is an excellent recreation of a sequence from Lovecraft's writing. Some of the gameplay choices, such as the sanity system, are also quite daring. Unfortunately, the game's moments of brilliance are all too few and do not make up for its horrendous failings.

Additionally once you acquire weapons the game attempts to become Half-Life, but without Valve's finesse. The shooting destroys the game's tension and the dialogue and design also seem to go downhill from this point. That parallel is not accidental by the way - if you know Half-Life, you will see some *very* similar areas and puzzles in COC.

Here are some of the major flaws with this game that will make you tear your hair out:

> Poor level design: A non-intuitive mess that will leave you wandering around levels aimlessly for hours. For instance, doors that you have previously tried and were locked will suddenly become open-able after you complete a seemingly unrelated task (e.g. turning the gas on in the next room).

> Poor game design: Jumps that can only be completed from a precise angle. Objects that take five clicks to be picked up and added to your inventory. Traps that require in-human micro-second timing to avoid and are instantly fatal.

> Poor puzzle design: Puzzles frequently require items to solve them. That sounds simple, but the game doesn't tell you what items you need, or even that what you are looking at is a puzzle at all. For instance, you might come across a heavy grate. If you have missed the crowbar earlier in the level (easily done thanks to poor level design and muddy textures) then you cannot open the grate. You will simply think this route is a dead-end and have no idea you need to find a crowbar, unless you read an FAQ. It's even possible to progress to a point where you cannot backtrack to get an item you need, making the puzzle unsolvable!

To illustrate just how appalling these design problems are, here's an example of a typical COC experience. At one point in the game I spent about two hours trying to move past a street with several enemies in it. I tried sneaking. I tried fighting. Nothing worked. The reason? One of the enemies was invulnerable. Deliberately. This was how the designers chose to stop the player progressing in that direction. Instead of blocking off the street, they created an invulnerable enemy that looked like any other. As a result, many players will literally be throwing themselves against a brick wall. It turned out that I needed to pick up a certain object earlier in the level and then progress through a different area - but there was nothing to tell me this - no hint that I needed the item and no sign that the other route was the correct one. Welcome to COC!

Add to these issues a waypoint saving feature that forces you to replay large sections when you die, unexpected game crashes and plenty of unavoidable "instant death" moments and you have a recipe for pain and frustration that will test your sanity more than your character's.

All this leaves you facing two major irritations. One is that you will simply become lost, not knowing where to go or what to do next, and wander aimlessly until you stumble on the way forward by chance. The second is that you will know what you need to do, but the game's poor control systems will not allow you to do it. For example, you may need to crawl under a broken fan with split-second timing that takes 7-8 attempts - and each attempt requires you to reload and replay through the entire previous area.

Bottom line: COC is not a diamond in the rough. It is a diamond in the septic tank, and I wish anyone who wants to try it the best of luck digging it out. If you are eager for the plot, watch a play-through on YouTube. Avoid this game at all costs.
  14. Jul 24, 2014
    This is the same review I made for the Xbox version of the game, which is the one that people should play. The PC version is plagued by bugs, some of which utterly critical. Crashes are frequent. The game itself can not be recommended on this platform (tested on Windows XP SP3).

An overall very interesting and worth being played game. Especially for H.P. Lovecraft fans. What works:

What works:

- A number of ideas: the sanity factor, the screen without HUD
    - The use of Lovecraft material for creating the game
    - The overall atmosphere of dread and isolation
    - The puzzles: they are often very well made and fairly engaging
    - The decision of relying on aiming down the sight (no in game crosshair)
    - The damage system being divided into 3 categories (bandage, splint, suture, antidote)

What doesn't work:

- The graphic is sometimes too blurry and muddy, making difficult to not only spot some items but even simple orientation
    - Respawn (I loathe it as game concept)
    - Lack of polish (it is obvious that corners have been cut and the ambition of the project reduced greatly from how originally anticipated)

What is so-so:

- The level design is most of the times very good and well focused (best chapters: Chapter 2 - Attack Of The Fuccing Fishmen, Chapter 3 - Jail Break and Chapter 7 - Dangerous Voyage) but sometimes there is an annoying lack of feedback about the need of backtracking (without much of a valid reason) while some other levels are much less spot on (Chapter 5 and Chapter 11 come to mind)
    - The AI: sometimes the enemies are in front of me but don't see me for some strange reason
    - Voice acting (some are good, wrong choice of tone for the protagonist who sounds too matter-of-face in most situations)
  15. Aug 21, 2013
    a very linear game with not that good story and very weak and boring gameplay the graphics as well are not good the only good thing about this game is the atmosphere other than that nothing special here
  16. Jun 18, 2013
    An awe inspiring dark look on cults that worship beyond the world of our own. Call of Cthulhu offers everything a horror gamer could ask for from terrifying fish people of innsmouth to the creatures from another dimension.

17. Oct 14, 2013
    This game is very linear, and would have been better with a few more options. That being said, it is still an amazing horror game. It is very dark, and will have your heart pounding. For a game made in 2006 it's graphics are really amazing. Although there really are no graphic optimizations for PC (console port) it does look good. It doesn't have xbox 360 controller support either, muchThis game is very linear, and would have been better with a few more options. That being said, it is still an amazing horror game. It is very dark, and will have your heart pounding. For a game made in 2006 it's graphics are really amazing. Although there really are no graphic optimizations for PC (console port) it does look good. It doesn't have xbox 360 controller support either, much like most original xbox game ports.

It does have a lot of bugs with windows 7. You can't alt-tab, or it will crash. Sometimes something important just flat out won't work. I was in a chase scene and a vital ladder was just impossible to climb. It ruins the immersion quite a bit repeating a chase just because a ladder did not work. That being said, it is still a lot of fun. Without the bugs I would have given a 9. I would love to see a remade version of this that was actually made for PC.

I do think some of the negative reviews are a bit ridiculous in that they complain about gameplay. This game is mainly about being immersed in the horror story. It is a good thing that they kept everything else fairly basic. You aren't playing some black-ops sniper with perfect aim, mysterious auto-respawn powers, and no back story. And there is a dedicated cut-scene skip button... the people who are complaining about that simply haven't looked in key bindings.
  18. Jun 14, 2014
    Amazing, old game, one of the first Scary games, didn't get why here it's as 2006 game, I have disc purchased in February of 2004 and can say it was really great games, never see so deep story in most of modern games, also it's FPS, if you love classic really can recommend it, it's not too expensive on Steam, but find disc will be really hard nowadays.
    I can say that it's classic in
    I can say that it's classic in genre, and really one of the best ones if compare to many modern games too.
  19. Mar 2, 2014
    It makes you suffer a lot...without help ( You tube) you won't get there at all...A great idea turning a HP Lovecraft's story into a game...What about Stephen king?
  20. Sep 13, 2014
    Lots of ppl recommended the game, despite lots of awful bugs that happen often. Funnily enough, I didn't encounter any, except for some crashes (handful through entire playthrough). But that's not the problem: the whole rest is. Pretty much everything, from mechanics, controls to "brilliant" inventions (sanity meter isn't much more than pointless curiosity) is **** up. Game is so horribleLots of ppl recommended the game, despite lots of awful bugs that happen often. Funnily enough, I didn't encounter any, except for some crashes (handful through entire playthrough). But that's not the problem: the whole rest is. Pretty much everything, from mechanics, controls to "brilliant" inventions (sanity meter isn't much more than pointless curiosity) is **** up. Game is so horrible I practicaly had to force myself to finish it, and uninstalled it instantly afterwards. This is pretty much Chaser of the horror games. Yes, I am not exaggerating. Disgrace for this pile of turd to even mention H.P. Lovecraft as the source material! Expand

1. Fans of the Cthulhu Mythos may go straight to heaven with such a faithful adaptation of Lovecraft's spine-chilling years. Others may find that Call of Cthulhu drives them to the mountains of madness. [July 2006, p.55]
  2. An undeniable effort. It can be fulfilling and mightily rewarding, but there are too many frustrating moments to say it’s a classic.
    Despite the occasional missteps, Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is a more than fitting tribute to its literary inspiration. It's also a great way for fans of real horror to give themselves the heebie-jeebies for a dozen hours or so. Just don't play it late at night, alone.