8.4

1. Jun 13, 2012
    Man I love this game! After coping so many hatred towards the series (I agree that it deserves some of them), I'm really glad to return back to my favorite FPS game of all time i.e COD4MW. I've completed the single player campaign four times and still want to give it a try once again! ( But i don't want to bother playing in the higher difficulty level). To all MW2, MW3, BO, BO2 haters, stay out of this game please! Expand
  2. Jan 3, 2011
    This is probably the most fun game I had played in 2010, I didnt really like it that much because I played a dodgy copy at a LAN Party. I was inspired by Mazarini's Play With Soul video to get this game so I bought it at the Steam christmas sale. Single player is pretty good, Multiplayer is addicting. Modern Warfare 2 was basically a re-skin of this game. You need to get this game.
  3. May 8, 2012
    Cod4's immorally short 4 hour campaign has lowered the bar such that multiplayer games now feel that it is okay to settle for short, poorly made campaigns. To nitpick this game to death, allies always get into your way and absorb some of your bullets because they look like your enemies. Respawning enemies make the combat quite futile. There are a large number of mechanics that are used only one time, such as ONLY ONE mounted sniper rifle which is affected by wind. The game is determined to never calm down, making it even more frustrating trying to divine the developers' will as the game tries to stomp on your free will.
    The second worst aspect is the attack dogs that will tear your aorta out unless you press the melee attack button at precisely the right time, which I can never manage. You will be sent back to the last save point to keep an extra close watch out for the aorta-fiends.
    The worst part is the fans, which all sound like "y ar u runing intothe rooom sprayying bulets like that man? hav u no skil man???"
    Activision has since released about four copies in addition to all the competitors.
  4. Feb 16, 2013
    I'm sorry folks but this game is entirely overrated. People like to claim that this was the last good Call of Duty, when in fact this is not a very good game. My main beef is with the mutliplayer. In all reality, the singleplayer is great, and typically is with any Call of Duty game, but that's not why you buy COD. You buy COD for multiplayer, and this games multiplayer is terrible. If it's not some kiddies with ACOG snipers tryharding, it's really bad sounding and feeling guns. The dedicated server system is trash in comparison to Black Ops or World at War. You are also stuck with only three killstreaks, in comparison to the newer games. The maps aren't too bad, and the graphics are standard among Call of Duty games, but I just don't like the feel of the multiplayer. This game is overrated, and even MW3 of all the COD games is better than this. Expand
  5. Oct 31, 2011
    Call of Duty 4 is not a good game. The best parts about the game are the sounds (pretty good); however, the rest of this game is painfully average. Half-Life 2 which was released 2 or 3 years before this has similar graphics and much better level design and story. Another good point is that the game is length being short so I do not have to force my self to continue its repetitive gameplay. The bad parts of the game? well, first the game is completely uninvolving or say not interactive and mostly because of its linear story and average level design. This game consists many levels in which you have to shoot tons of enemies. This makes game extremely repetitive. Also there are no interesting characters in this game and most time it just direct the player to a certain way with no intriguing or complex levels. Yet the game really does not have any story whatsoever. The online part is okay, although generally I do not like this kind of mindless shooter. Expand
  6. Nov 13, 2011
    A shooter made for the hanidcapped and babbies. There is no pre-requisite of aiming so I guess this makes sense. If hitboxing jockery is your sort of thing, then I guess this game was ok. But if you have any expectation of a game that requires skill and has a skill curve that rewards practice, then you'll be disappointed. Dumb.
  7. May 21, 2012
    Best fps shooter of all time, without doubt. The game has endless replayability, when you take out hackers and campers the game is flawless. Despite these it's impossible not to give it a full 10. Worth £200 unlike it's rehashed remakes, which could be 1 of the endless mods to the game.
  8. Sep 2, 2013
    Just irritating and annoying. This was my first intro to CoD. What a crock of bleh. If this game was written to show how miserable it is to be in war, it succeeded. The single player missions have semi random checksaves that force you to relive scenario after scenario even if you are literally backed into a corner. The NPCs scream the same annoying comments again and again and then you have the sheer joy of quicksaves when dogs show up. Even with infinite reloads, this was just an unpleasant experiance I'd rather not repeat. Expand
  9. May 27, 2012
    This game sucks compared to all the other CoD's. I don't understand why people call this game the greatest Call of Duty ever. It's not! The campaign sucks and the multiplayer is boring with little killstreaks and perks. Not to mention the thosuands of hackers that infest the game.
    Not worth the money, get MW2 or Black Ops instead.
  10. Dec 18, 2012
    This is the malefic game that has started the most sold out genre of games. This is the game that has started two sagas, one of the worst sagas ever made, called Modern Warfare and Black Ops. If CoD 4 didn't exist, these 2 sagas didn't. Bad gameplay, bad multiplayer, bad-medium graphics, semi-good plot and OK sound. I can't say that graphics are bad/very bad because they're only on the other games like CoD MW2, MW3, BO, BO2, etc. Anyway, they're not so good, because this was out on 2007, and on this year Crysis was already out, which has much better graphics. Actually, I don't care about graphics, but, since I'm reviewing a game, I have to rate them. The gameplay is very slow and boring, and it isn't competitive. The multiplayer is closed (I mean that you can't make your own scripts, maps, gametypes, etc., like on Quake 3), and there's not SDK, etc. (OF COURSE!). The singleplayer lasts just a bit. You can complete it in 4 hours. Semi-good plot, because it can be good, but it's not deep. 3.75, for me. Expand
  11. Jul 27, 2013
    Ok, this game is just the worst excuse of an FPS. Bad graphics, small maps, no weapons, hackers, glitches, bugs, After all, this game is not good. This game got a high score because all the CoD fanboys thought that this was the best CoD, let me tell you one thing: It's NOT. There are much better FPS's with much lower scores that deserve a higher rating. Activision paid reviews good, I see. Just a terrible game, from Single Player to MP. Expand
  12. Nov 8, 2011
    The original Modern Warfare. This game changed my life forever. It's the best shooter game of all time. these days i decided to put my score because the deception of Call of Duty Modern Warefare 3. The reason is simply. Infinityward was created this game on 2007. Now Infinity Ward is death. THE PEOPLE CREATED THIS GAME IS NOW ::::> RESPAWN ENTERTAINMENT.
  13. Jan 10, 2011
    The game's single player is okay. Ordinary and uninspired, it left me bored half-way through missions. The graphics are fairly good (I'm not picky in that respect), but otherwise it was rather disappointing in terms of gameplay. It also felt too dramatic, but I've never liked cheesy action movies personally.

The multiplayer is bland and uninspired as well, but it dares to include an
    idiotic RPG item unlock system as well, ruining any chance of the game being played competitively by new players. Only in graphics does it improve upon the experience furnished by Quakeworld (my multiplayer "benchmark" game), though that's easily counteracted by the unfortunate experience>skill system and a weapon set too focused on low-skill high-damage hitscan weapons, making the game much too campy for my tastes.

3 points for a mediocre single player campaign; 0 for a dysfunctional grind-based instagib multiplayer experience (which has drawn the gaming industry AWAY from the "right direction"); 1 for spawning a WWII-set clone/sequel with a decent zombie-killing mode in it.
  14. Feb 20, 2012
    The original Call of Duty changed it all, Call of Duty Modern Warfare changed it all once again. The single player campaign is extremely well designed and unlike MW2/MW3/BO well paced. The levels are not just about mindless running and gunning but though if you prefer finishing them like that you are free to do so. The multiplayer is actually the place where COD brings out all of its shine. Its extremely immersive and full of exciting well designed levels with lots of guns and customization options. The most important thing about this game is that unlike its younger brothers (MW2/MW3/BO) it has support for dedicated servers which is the reason why this game has thousands of active servers even after so much time.

Does this game deserve to be rated with score 10? Probably not because there are certainly flaws which are not that obvious at first sight. However, if I don't rate it that way I will most probably be sorry for not doing that in a couple of years when all traces of decent games are erased in favor of pure money-grinding publishing politics (I fear that time has already come). That means that realistically this game deserves a strong 9 however by the power invested in my current voting rights I will give it a full 10.
  15. Sep 22, 2011
    This game actually blows ass. I tried it on the hardest difficulty setting and it wasn't bad, until I got to the TV station. WTF? Infinite respawning enemies, who spam grenades at you every 3 seconds. Why should I try and play it realistically when you give me no cover system and infinite enemies magically coming out of a door. The enemies just stream out of that door and never stop coming. I can sit back and snipe them and snipe them and kill again and again and they'll never lessen. Apparently, this TV station is inhabited by the world's population, and they've all turned to a life of terrorism apparently. There's no sense to this scenario. Why are terrorists infinite? Remember back to the good old Rainbow Six days, when a mission would have 6 or 7 tangos, max? The difficulty was in saving the hostage or killing them all without incurring a single casualty on your team. That was what was rewarding, not this nonsense of slaughtering hoards of faceless drones spawning out of a closet. **** you Infinity Ward and the half-track you rode in on. I changed it to normal difficulty and now I can play it without getting the urge to punch my monitor.

And for a game that's supposed to be about modern warfare, there's no rate of fire selector or any ability to customize your weapon accessories. Crysis had those, and that's a game with ****ing giant robot squids. Why wouldn't you allow us to change our rate of fire? Assault rifles and submachine guns all have this feature, and you're trying to portray many of these weapons in the game. Sometimes a situation might call for semi auto mode, like sniping at long range, while another might require full auto mode. Giving players choices is a good thing, it's not something to be afraid of. But no, Infinity Ward doesn't believe in giving the player any power. That's why every door has to be opened by an AI companion, instead of by the player. Remember the good ol days of Wolfenstein 3D and Doom, when you could actually open doors yourself? COD4 also introduces new weapon accessories, like red dot and ACOG sights, as well as laser sights and silencers. The only problem is... you can't select which accessories to equip on your weapon. The game just sticks you with whatever random assortment it wants. You have no say in how your personal firearm will be customized. Customization of weapons is not difficult to implement in video games these days. Rainbow Six has done it on multiple iterations, as has Crysis. Customizing your gun generates a feeling of empowerment and individualization, and I simply don't understand why the developer felt that they should keep that away from the player. It's a baffling misstep and a shame, particularly because the weapon accessories themselves are quite well-designed and realized. The red dot sight looks great and feels authentic. The campaign is one tightly scripted sequence after another. While this allows for intense and dramatic moments like watching a helicopter crash and barely avoid killing Captain McMillan, it also leads to severely limited replayability. You know exactly what's going to happen every time because it's all scripted to happen at a certain time and place. So really, there's no reason to go back and replay the experience, as it'll be the same as the first time. While I enjoyed scripted events when they first arrived on the FPS in the form of Half-Life... it's gotten incredibly old. Half-Life came out in 1998. Then we had Medal of Honor Allied Assault, which was made by the team that later formed IW. I thought MoHAA was a great WW2 experience. Then they made Call of Duty, which was also a great scripted game. Then Call of Duty 2, which was more of the same. I figured CoD2 was where it probably needed to end, they'd done all they could. But now they're back, and once again we're treated to linear scripted missions. I've simply had enough. It's time to play in more dynamic combat environments, with more freedom and tactical options and intelligence. The campaign is also amazingly short, clocking in at around 7 to 8 hours. So yea, I'm not sure why everyone called it the best game ever. The presentation looks nice at first, but there's a lot that's retarded, and you'd think they'd have fixed their **** since this is the FOURTH game in the series.
  16. May 12, 2012
    Call of Duty 4 is one of the best CoD game, because it has custom add-ons that drastically enhances the multiplayer gameplay such as Pro-mod (which is one of my favorite add-ons), custom maps and more. The later CoD titles are just crap, all they did good was the campaign and the multiplayer itself are still the same as COD4, with new bad layout maps. Really, if you want to play the real Call of Duty, get COD4. Expand
  17. Mar 28, 2012
    A very fun game. Every game could use improvements and so could this but generally speaking I have almost all positive things to say about this game. The single player campaign is very immersive and fun to play.
  18. Jul 13, 2012
    I can say one thing this is the best multiplayer cod ( black ops gets zombies :) ) but ok why 9 campaign was good but basic also graphics where ok my radeon 6850 in my alienware laptop was running at -2 degrees
    but yes multiplayer is da best lan like crysis wars amazing not op weapons and a place in my heart great game for 20$ get a copy i mean its not like mw3
  19. Jun 7, 2012
    100% fun time to be had! The negative reviews are from those who generally are not good at video games. The campaign is a little short but it's still fun. multiplayer is as good as it will ever be. That goes for online and split screen. It's all the good things from goldeneye 64, unreal tournament, and time splitters rolled into a hot n tasty bean burrito. It's great if your looking to kill time...in short must buy! "Doors that can't be opened. Windows that can't be broken. 1 metre high boxes that you just can't quite muster the strength to climb over. Worthless drivel." How do you play games pal? Expand
  20. Aug 8, 2012
    I already reviewed the Xbox360 version giving it a 10, however in that case I have only played the multiplayer on PC, since there is no 'Find match' option, you are forced to look for servers, many of which aren't what you want to play, and are too many players in the lobby for it to be as exciting as the Xbox version, that and the fact that I have found some hackers, and the connection, even though it is all dedicated servers, is still flimsy. Expand
  21. Jun 11, 2013
    It's not perfect, but close. I've played close to 400 hours in this game, for me it's the best CoD game created and a really good FPS.

The single-player is meh, if it weren't multi-player in the game I would rate it a 4, but the multi-player carries the game to a 7. The first CoD game to have perks. With dedicated servers you could find sniper only servers and so on, you could ban, and
    have rules.. Amazing. Expand
  22. Apr 25, 2014
    SP is a joke because it is way too linear and unchallenging; and the MP gives too much power to the noobs who can just run around and do almost as well as skilled players.
  23. Nov 9, 2013
    This game revolutionized the series. Great graphics, simple jump in and play gameplay and mainly loads and loads of fun. The singleplayer, although short, was loads of fun as well. I must have spent a couple hundred hours on this game's multiplayer. Definitely the best in the series, too bad they turned it into a corporate cash cow after this game and didn't just leave it at that
  24. Mar 28, 2014
    Singleplayer is a total joke. The SP is a linear rollercoaster from start to finish, enemy is stupid as a log, weapons offer no variety.

Multiplayer is skill-less punching around. You heal by sucking your thumb behind a cover, you have to aimdownsights and stop to hit **** you call killstrikes and use weaponloadouts. Noob gaming at it's best.

Call of **** 4. This is the same as Call
    of **** 2. Copy paste at it's best. Steer clear. Expand
  25. Feb 27, 2012
    For it's respective slot in history. This game was still fresh. It modernized the aging world war 2 template with 'just' enough storytelling and presentation upgrades to make the air feel fresh again for a breath or two. It's still not all that memorable, and supremely short. Get it for the multiplayer. Which is hopefully still active.
  26. Mar 31, 2011
    A very enjoyable game offline and online. With fully controllable dedicated servers.

Well balanced, but in great need of larger maps. Thank for user-created ones. Watch out for those mods too (Galactic Warfare to mention one...). Four years since release and it still beats it's successors. All of them! Best CoD game ever!
  27. Oct 17, 2012
    Single player is good and the MP is pretty cool, except for the airstrikes which are just too over-powered and make the game a lot less fun. Maybe that is because I never manage to get a kill-streak.
  28. Nov 15, 2011
    Definently the best Call of Duty game up to date. After it being released over 4 years, it is still widely played on the PC in great amounts of players and time. This game is a must buy if your just picking up PC gaming and shooters on the PC. It will teach you how controls work for Call of Duty-like games.
  29. Dec 21, 2011
    An excellent FPS, which definitely set the shooter standard when it was released. Sneaking around in Hardcore domination mode, without the annoying predator missiles and attack dogs added in later COD titles, this game is great - and it also has the best singleplayer campaign in any call of duty game. Too bad that later iterations of the series has not kept up to its legacy.
  30. Feb 11, 2012
    Call of Duty 4 is a giant leap foward in the series. The previous games were way ahead of their time but Modern Warfare is the combined result of all of the previous games. The graphics are wow factor, the story is utterly convincing, the weapon range has grown exponentially, the characters are a joy to play alongside and the multiplayer is addictive although not very realistic. My points would be the lack of interaction between items that are not weapons (doors, vehicles and windows) and that the multiplayer becomes slow and glitchy in the case of heavy traffic to servers. There is room for improvement but Modern Warfare is a must have. Expand
  31. May 20, 2012
    Omge! Cool game love it cuz dis was b4 cod got stal cuz den cod got bad dis 1 is gewd cuz i said it was gewd so u shld g0 bi it bro cuz it so gewd. bi it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  32. Jun 13, 2012
    Played this game for the first time after trying some of the more recent COD titles. I must say, this one beats all of the others aside from maybe World at War since I'm a sucker for those older weaponry. The graphics are great compared to the recent COD games, and the gameplay is very fun. It wasn't very long, which was good because it was getting to being the same thing over and over. The storyline was pretty good though. I don't know what happened after World at War, but COD has really gone downhill. Long live pre-modern warfare 2 COD games! Expand
  33. Aug 13, 2012
    Call of Duty 4 is the best COD game. It haves a great multiplayer and a fantastic single player. Believe me, you will be playing this game for years. The story mode is short, but this game may have the best story mode for shooters. Is a must have for all gamers.And, almost forgot, the multi player is the best reason to buy this game. 96 out of 100
  34. Jan 31, 2014
    In an ideal world, the masses would still be playing this game, as it is essentially identical to MW:Ghosts. Unfortunately people are stupid and they purchase re-hashed versions of COD4 over and over again so the player population is all over the place.

Seriously, this game defined the shooter genre we know today. No need to buy "new" shooters.
  35. Dec 25, 2012
    This game is the best Call of Duty ever. when we were bored of second world war, the modern warfare appeared and revived the genre. This game marked a before and after in the shooters games. PERFECT
    (sorry for the language)
  36. May 30, 2014
    The gunplay in this game is solid. The missions are interesting, but the plot and characters are boring. Not the greatest of games but it's a fun game that fans of FPS games will enjoy.
  37. Nov 6, 2013
    User Interface 10/10
    Sounds 10/10
    Music 10/10
  38. Jan 10, 2014
    Линейный сюжет, плохие русские... В мультиплеере нормально нельзя зарегистрироваться. Отсюда вот такая оценка. Хотя для запада война с русскими это уже традиция.
  39. May 29, 2014
    Mediocre game all things considered. While the game has some excellent set pieces and fun sequences it ultimately doesn't make up for the incredibly stupid A.I. and the extremely cheap deaths you will experience. The gameplay can easily descend into you picking off incredibly dumb enemies as they respawn and run to the same pre-determined spot over and over, even as their dead bodies pile up to the ceiling while your allies fire inaccurately at them refusing to push forward. When you do push forward the game becomes very difficult as enemies really only pose a threat at close range when you get in the way of their precious pre-programmed spots as you can easily find yourself taking fire from several directions at once, this wouldn't be a problem if friendly NPCs supported you when you advance, but since they don't enjoy getting turned into Swiss cheese. Like I said there are some excellent sequences, but ultimately the game feels like a few very talented people trying to make up for the incompetence of several others, and that is how the game plays, some good sequences trying to make up for some awful gameplay. Expand
  40. Dec 27, 2011
    Perhaps the best Call of Duty game ever made: epic story, very good gameplay, good graphics, great mods including the usage of AI bots in skirmish games and of course the good custom maps. This game is truly the answer to a weak Counterstrike game as well as a good Medal of Honor game when it comes to more of modern warfare tactics.
  41. Aug 21, 2010
    This has got to be one of the favourite games, and definitely is my favourite FPS (or Halo 3). The graphics were great (and still are good), and it's very well optimized so it runs on most computers. Firstly; the singleplayer is quite short, but very, very sweet. The voice acting and fluidity of the game makes it very immersive. There are many epic parts, and some very epic missions. And now onto the multiplayer; the dedicated servers make it lag free, which is one of the most vital things in multiplayer. The drip feed method of leveling up and unlocking guns as you progress is done at the right pace. Customization of the guns make everyone's play style possible, and it also keeps you wanting to play to unlock more things for each gun. This is the first game I have seen with perks, and it works wonderfully. Everyone has a unique character, you can be a stealthy sniper, fast shot-gunner, etc... It keeps it fresh and unique. The weapons are fun to use realistic, and are balanced too. Overall, this has got to be one of the greatest games. Buy it! Expand
  42. Mar 26, 2011
    A great, fast-paced FPS with a great story line. It is very short when it comes to the single player compaign, but it makes up with the quality of the story.
  43. Oct 3, 2010
    HEll its a shooter.A good shooter.But just a shooter.And what the heck do you want from a shooter to sell pizza in it?Lol i cant understand you people if its a shooter then JUST SHOOT YOURE WAY TO THE END OF THE LEVEL.and wait it gets worse.It is objective based not free world like stalker.ITS a very good shooter with nice story very good graphics and non-stop action.A real deal.i cant rate it less then 1o cuz its to good. Expand
  44. Oct 4, 2010
    SINGLE PLAYER Fair enough this game has a short-ish story line (but a fantastic one at that) Theres plenty of action and chances to really relate to the characters and get involved in the goings on! Graphics wise its fantastic and smooth on most gaming rigs.

Multi-player

Ok here it goes...... BRILLIENT, a lot of people complain about hackers and cheats...... these are only a problem in
    certain servers and are normally kicked before much more happens. once you get familiar with the game why not join a team? (Clan) you dont need to be freakishly involved screaming "PLANT THE BOMM!" and "GET DOWN!" its just a place where you know you are playing fair and make friends!

I have been playing COD 4 for 3 years now and a year of that has been with a clan called |D2| or Damned defiants (google for our web site) and its full of friendly guys and a few girls from all over the world who have a laugh and loads of fun playing.....

QUESTION TIME

Q: doesnt the same game get boring
    A: like any thing, it can but y ou just let your clan know you'll be a way for a few weeks and you'll see them when your back.

Q: dont the Maps get boring
    A: No! you have the stock maps (which are good) although there are thousands of custom ones made by the public that are not only great but beat the stock ones on the "Fun factor" there are HUGE sniper maps and small run and gun ones. There are maps from the latest modern warfare 2 converted for use with cod4! Q: what if im not really that happy with the feel of the game?
    A: MODS! there are not only thousands of maps but there are just as many MODS!

Q: what are MODs? A: Modifications.... to the game! There are loads! theres a starwars one where you run around on the starwars planet and fire laser guns and use star wars weapons! even down to the character skins! you can be on the darkside and fight as a storm trooper if you want!!!! there are weapon mods and gameplay mods making it the most versitile shooter availible! with our current mod you dont need to rank up to get your guns! you can use whatever you like! just choose!

By far the best value for money £30 for 3 years of gaming so far for me...... its now about £15 PICK UP A COPY!!!!! once you start and get good you'll never want to stop! so much fun!

Get into cod 4 (not modern warfare 2 as you cannot mod or do custom anything to the game due to it being controlled by steam.)

Thanks for reading and GG all.
  45. Oct 12, 2010
    This is one of the best PC shooters ever. The single player was epic to the point that it still hasn't been matched since and the multiplayer was so diverse that there are still packed servers today. It has not yet been beaten in quality for a mutliplayer FPS game. I wouldn't give it best of all time, but best at it's time and still competes with the latest shooters in my opinion.

This game's mod tools allow the comunity to keep making new maps for it that keep it fresh and fun to play while the gameplay that it packs is so comfortable and fast-paced OR tactical (it's versatile enough to be fantastic at both), that you can just go back and wonder what new dev's or even the same dev (see the travisty of MW2) were thinking. there are only 3 kill-streak rewarrds, which is PLENTY, and they don't get too much in the way of actually playing the game. hackers aren't much of a problem because i fyou come across one, an admin of a SERVER will just kick or PB-ban the hacker. dedi's for the win, and cod4 for the win. If you havn't played this game, you should. there will never be another Call of Duty this good, and there may never be another FPS that beats it in its re-play factor, versatility, stock-maps, or general gameplay.
  46. Dec 8, 2010
    This game was not only a revolution within the Call of Duty franchise; it was a revolution in the gaming industry in general. Amazing game-play, state-of-the-art graphics and an immersive and well thought out storyline all contributed to the success of this game. The fact that this was one of the best selling games of its time is testament to how great the game was.
  47. Nov 10, 2010
    This game is **** awesome. the campaign is action packed and intense, the specops mode is wicked sick, and the multiplayer mode is one of the best i've played. i cant wait for modern warfare 3.
  48. Nov 12, 2010
    The Call of Duty series has always been renowned for its immersive campaigns, innovative multiplayer options, and overall high level of quality. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is the first game in the CoD line to step outside of the World War II venue but it takes all its predecessors positive traits with it and manages to set a new standard for the series.

The single player campaign in
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare delivers a heart pounding glimpse of how modern black ops missions are conducted. The action switches between British and US soldiers as they hunt for the leaders of a Middle Eastern terrorist group. All of the now standard FPS controls are present allowing the player to lean around corners to provide covering fire or to go prone to use tall grass to avoid detection. As expected the array of weapons available to help the player accomplish the missions is as diverse as it is impressive.

Most importantly the campaign mode in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare has the player working as a part of a team. Typical FPS â
  49. Jan 18, 2011
    a great game, but it's soo short..although it gave me 2 days of great gaming this could be an amazing game if it wasn't so short. also, the graphic is amazing and realistic and gives you the feeling like you're there. this is one of the best games i've ever played.
  50. Dec 9, 2010
    Great game, a classic of the call of duty, still is a run N gun though, better than anything that this franchise has came out after this, I would highly recommended this for those who dont like to be strategic. The 2 new call of duty games, warfare 2, and black ops are rip offs. Dont buy them, it is a support of corporate EVIL! This is a classic, fun respectable game. The campaign was kind of short and multilayer complete crap... But the COD series was never about multilayer. You will not regret buying this game, even though I reccomend HL2 over it. Expand
  51. Mar 7, 2012
    This is still--by far--my favorite Call of Duty game. The single player campaign left me completely stunned in amazement because no game had ever captured the intensity to the point where I really felt like a soldier on the battlefield. The release of COD4 was perfectly timed in sync with the end of the over-played WWII themed FPS games. COD4 pulled everyone in because it was something new, fresh, and exciting--it was the right game at the right time.

Multiplayer is phenomenalâ
  52. Feb 9, 2011
    Balance. Pure Balance. on top of the intensely realistic campaign and creative plot, sits the fantastic multiplayer. This game, unlike MANY others, can call its self a balanced game. although this franchise has had many attempts to recreate the cod4 experience, this game will just never be beat. I want to be buried in my grave with this game in my arms.
  53. Feb 17, 2011
    I am sorry if I double-posted this, but the ones who gave it 5(s) and below haven't played against the real deal and in the real play. Yes, the normal MultiPlayer is full of noobs and campers, BUT we have "Promod". - You want balance? Promod doesn't count EXP and ranks. - You say hip-spraying? You're dead before you actually kill someone if you don't use your sights even in middle-range situation.
    - You say run and gun without tactics?
    You're gonna get ambushed by pro-campers.
    - You say the X appears even when you hit someone through the wall?
    Promod gets rid of that. No wallbanging noobs anymore.

In normal gameplay, and this is the most subject that people debated:
    - You say that it's unbalanced for Rank-1 to fight against Rank-55?
    The starting weapon (M16, MP5, M249, M40A3) is so great and damaging that some Rank-55 players prefer to use them rather than those fancy M60, Barrett 50 cal and P90. All the Rank-1 perks are also always implemented on at least one of the class; they're the basic foundation of pure ownage (damage, accuracy and extra bullet penetration). Extra ammos? Tch, it's not like you (or the rounds) are going to survive that long.
  54. Jun 18, 2011
    The second best COD that has been made in my opinion. the story mode was gripping and fun. The MP was filled with excitement and an awesome community. The singleplayer did lack some emotion and the multiplayer did suffer from a tiny bit of over powered weapons(M60, RPK) but all in all this was an amazing game.
  55. Sep 13, 2011
    Greatest FPS of all time. Campaign is utterly amazing and that's just the beginning. Multiplayer... I have no words for how incredible it is. If you don't own this game, you should, like right now.
  56. Mar 25, 2011
    Gameplay - 9.5 , Graphics - 9.5 (consider the release time 2007) , Story - 8.5 , Playing time - 50+hours. A excellent game back in 2007. The top-notch multiplayer experience will keep you occupied for a long time.
  57. Mar 26, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the first real FPS i ever tried, and it was amazing! Truly amazing. The only problem, is that some of the guns (P90 for instance) is really overpowered. It is also easy to go with undetected hacks there. Expand
  58. Apr 19, 2011
    Playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is experiencing a great film. And great films - like great some games - never appear linear; their finite stories belie the seemingly expansive possibilities of their genre. The reality is, of course, that the action of an FPS offers only a limited number of scenarios. However, done well, these scenarios offer both the serious and the casual gamer well-crafted slices of unreal action. Not least because the army down-plays the getting-shot-aspect of real life. http://teachergamer.blogspot.com/2011/04/call-of-duty-modern-warfare.html Expand
  59. Apr 15, 2011
    This is a great game I never get Tired of playing it. I also enjoy the single player mode it seems the people putting out games now are trying to take that single player mode away. We as gamers should not let that happen. Call of Duty 4 gets a solid 10.0 for being a good multiplayer and SINGLE PLAYER game. Keep talking about the single player mode people if you don't it will be gone and no good gamer worth there salt wants that to happen. I know I am old school I miss those arcades from back in the day. Good fun and friends then! Expand
  60. Apr 17, 2011
    this rocks i love how it has the slow mo moments and cheats the story is sharp and involing and when a emeny tank epoldes you feel a sence of pride best shooter to date besides cod mw2 and half life 2
  61. Apr 25, 2011
    I was absolutely awe-inspired by this game. I simply cant recommend it enough. I would have payed 60 for the single-player alone, but the multi-player was outstanding as well.
  62. Oct 9, 2011
    The last TRUE COD game, the series ever since has been dead to me, full of hackers online with zero skill needed other than twitch speed bunny hopping to dodge bullets.
  63. Apr 29, 2011
    I *really* enjoyed this. A cracking game, full of varied missions, excitement, not too linear (though fairly), and a ripping yarn. And what's more, each mission contained replayability: a LOT of thought had obviously gone into each mission bloc such that many of them are really enjoyable the tenth and twentieth time. I think what appeals most is that the missions are quite varied, the graphics good quality without being too GPU draining, and the AI is fairly good. I think this is about the best linear, shoot-'em-up FPS I've played in many years. Expand
  64. Jan 31, 2012
    Every other CoD game is more profitable than the previous one but this title is my favourite part. Additionally, it wasn't until Modern Warfare that I sunk into the multiplayer so hard :) Rewarding system in Black Ops wasn't so well thought and it lacked such impact that this game had. Easy to use and understand and to jump in to, REALLY hard to master.

Graphics 9.2/10
    Audio 8.9/10
    Gameplay 10/10
  65. Jun 3, 2011
    GameCritics: Best Action Game GameSpot: Best Graphics, Best Shooter, Best Xbox 360 Game, Best PlayStation 3 Game GameTrailers: Best Graphics, Best PS3 Game GamePro: Best Overall Game of the Year IGN: Best Xbox 360 Game, Best Shooter of 2007 GameSpy: Best PS3 Game, Best Xbox 360 Game, Best PC Game, Game of the Year X-Play: Best Shooter, Best Sound Design Spike Video Game Awards: Best Shooter, Best Military Game
    Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences: Action Game of the Year, Console Game of the Year, Overall Game of the Year
  66. Jul 5, 2011
    This is my one of my favorite Modern Warfare games it has a good story great mechanics new guns though multiplayer is kind of a toss up its real fun and competitive and then there's hackers server transfers and tubers i don't mind campers the make the game more interesting/easier all in all good game and multiplayer could have been great but turned out to be a nightmare.
  67. Jul 17, 2011
    Singleplayer was good, I enjoyed that but wasn't that shocked by what I was seeing. Multiplayer is also good, very Addictive and while some are poor there are some great Maps. A decent FPS but I have seen better before
  68. Feb 22, 2012
    Unlike its sequels this one is actually good, in the sense its not really realistic, but that's why they said just "Photo-realistic", not real life realistic...... the story i liked and it wasn't completely repetitive, and the maps were just fun to play, still i prefer Counter strike, and those games.....
    story-8, fun-7, upgrading, nothin just dlc's or extra maps they release for 15$, i
    hate DLC's just a way to get more money, creativity- isnt really their Expand
  69. Dec 5, 2011
    Unfortunately, the last good Call of Duty was also the first good Call of Duty. The singleplayer is an action-packed ride but the multiplayer isn't what its really cut out to be. Sure, its addictive, but it gets boring really fast. However, it is highly recommended.
  70. Aug 8, 2011
    My absolute all time favorite FPS. This is the game that brought me back to FPS's after I stopped playing Battlefield 1942. It was the first game that I bought when I built my first computer that I owned outright, and is still the game I play most. The single player is enjoyable enough, though definitely not the main calling of this game. The multiplayer is fantastic, and dew to the use of dedicated servers, you can find all sorts of play styles from the typical run and gun to the more realistic "tactical realism crouch" styles. I am, and forever will be, in love with this game. Expand
  71. Aug 16, 2011
    MULTIPLAYER GAME IS SICK! i play it everyday and i wont stop playing this in my life never, i have fun always, single player mode is "good", the single player mode from mw2 is a lot better but this game is EXCELENTE!
  72. Sep 27, 2011
    Pretty good game. If you were going to buy Black Ops or something, I'd get this instead. Great story, and the multiplayer is the bast part. Now, go grab an M4, and kick some ass.
  73. Sep 13, 2011
    I don't have much to say about this game, I can only say that this game is one of the best achievements in history of gaming and I'm very proud to be part of it :)
  74. Sep 29, 2011
    I honestly only came here to rate this great game. One of the best cods, other than 2, for gameplay and replayability. Trust all of the positive reviews, the negative ones are either trolls, or people with different taste.
  75. Oct 18, 2011
    COD 4 is without a doubt one of the (if not 'the') single best game I have ever played. Due to issues with the MP, I can't comment on it, but the Single Player mode is utterly mezmorising. Boasting impressive graphics and one heck of a compelling narrative coupled with its replayability; no-one can deny the quality of the campaign.
  76. Oct 25, 2011
    Great Classic. Its perfect in many cases, but that certain something I can't describe is missing. A Milestone when it comes to Shooters, for sure. Modern Warfare.
  77. Nov 9, 2011
    I was worried when Infinity Ward announced they were going to ditch the World War II genre and move to Modern Warfare, but after a tentative Single Player play-through and a few hours notched up on Multiplayer, I fell in love. This game is beautifully made in every aspect, and is still one of the most popular games to rent a gaming server for. The campaign is varied and stunning, and the adrenaline rush you feel after completing the first level and seeing the title roll up makes you realise, "this is going to be good." And it doesn't disappoint. On-line is where this game really comes in to it's own, as the game-modes, weapons, attachments, kill streaks and challenges are all a welcome addition to an excellent series of games. It's hard to fault this title. Expand
  78. Nov 9, 2011
    User Interface 10/10
    Sounds 8/10
    Music 7/10
  79. Apr 15, 2012
    After all of the Call of Duty releases out now this game still remains to be the best. No over the top kill streaks, no game breaking glitches, and the most solid mechanics for multiplayer yet. I put the same number of bullets in someone every time and they die. Its amazing. Also some of the best maps. The new COD games of the series are trash in comparison.
  80. Nov 10, 2011
    The game that changed the FPS scene in the past 5 years.
    A great single player adventure and amazing arcade multiplayer action.
    Very enjoyable and fun.
    The sequels get worse by the year not bringing anything new to the table so if you played this one you have played them all.

Don't bother with the sequels and not with MW3 that was just released.
  81. Nov 14, 2011
    Still one of the best games in the series. I would gladly pay for new DLC for this game. I think that Activision is missing out. It would be great to have a few patches to add new game modes or maps. Much better than the garbage that has followed. I have MW2, Black OPs, and MW3 in the modern shooter and still find myself back to COD4. What a shame that a company that was able to set the bar so high with this title, can't seem to reach their own mark now. Expand
  82. Nov 21, 2011
    this was the last good Call of Duty title for PC. Call of Duty UNITED OFFENSIVE still remains as the king of multiplayer followed by CoD4 and CoD2. the 2nd and 3rd MW are NOT FOR PC. so this is the last real CoD for PC.
  83. Nov 15, 2011
    Easily one of the best FPS games I have ever played. When I first played this game at my cousin's house on launch day, I literally thought he was watching a war video. I thought the sounds and graphics were so real. I bought it for myself and ended up falling in love. The campaign is a force to be reckoned with and the multiplayer mode is absolutely addicting. A definite buy for FPS fans.
  84. Nov 18, 2011
    Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is the best Call of Duty game of all time. The campaign is very entertaining, and has an enticing storyline. Online play only makes the game that much better, where you can play for fun or attempt to join leagues and play the game competitively.
  85. Feb 20, 2012
    U like it or not, it's best Call of Duty game in series. Story in single-player is innovation, and something new to CoD series. I'm still playing single-player sometimes. Multiplayer is best experience ever. It's better than CoD MW2 or MW3 or any CoD MP. Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare Multiplayer is best in every aspect.
    And if ur bored of playing normal MP u still can get some skill on
    great modification - ProMod. Expand
  86. Dec 10, 2011
    THE highlight of the single player was the last mission, Mile High Club, which when played on the veteran difficulty turned out to be one of the most enjoyable single player level I have played in recent years. Apart from that, the single player missions are just copy-paste from older CoDs with new graphics and fancy weapons. Maybe that AC-130 shooting game is something new, but I didn't like it that much. Multiplayer is definitely worth playing as it can be fun at times, but be ready to be kicked quite a few times if you're remotely good at this game as you can get kills through the wall quite easily and immature admins kick you for wallhacking. But that's just the community so I'm not taking any scores off because of that. I wish they fixed the killstreak system as you will spend ages sitting in the corner trying to get rid of that helicopter call you have, or you could just waste it.
    If you have played previous CoD games, the single player will probably disappoint you, but multiplayer has some fun elements to it. For someone who has never played CoD or FPS games, this game could provide you with a lot of fun.
  87. Jan 5, 2013
    One of the best games i have ever played, i still find myself playing it on my Xbox and Pc, this game derserves a new update, so people will start finding this game amazing again, it is way to underplayed. And i find that shame-full, comparing this shooter to others would be like comparing, Diamond to dust.
  88. faf
    Aug 6, 2014
    I recently decided to replay the entire Call of Duty series and started with CoD4. Even after almost 6 years the game remains epic. The single player campaign starts to feel slightly linear when you get near the end but it doesn't have much of an impact on the game-play and it all remains one big action packed ride from the first time you pull the trigger to the last. Did not get into multiplayer again but from what I remember from the many hours spent playing it was brilliant. Expand
  89. Feb 18, 2012
    by far the best multiplayer fps i've ever experienced. i had just come off playing bf2 when i started playing this and the fast paced action with the ability to actually aim (unlike games like bf2 and cs where unless you were used to it guns were about as accurate as a wet towel). since launch this has been my favourite fps.
  90. Mar 12, 2012
    this is the best of the cod series for sure.this game is the reason why cod series is still on top.its very different from its predecessors.single player was excellent but short at the same time but multiplayer was amazing.
  91. Mar 7, 2012
    Very solid game. The single player is fun but short.

The multiplayer is also pretty fun. However, considering the high player count on servers on the PC version, it feels too congested sometimes, and the game play degenerates into an absolute spamfest. Regardless, it has its moments and is one of the better Call of Duty games out there. It has a lot of good maps and weapon selections.
  92. Mar 7, 2012
    A very good multi player game, but highly overrated by the media and the fan boys that clog up the servers. If I had to play any FPS at all, this wouldn't be my first choice, but it is not a bad title by any means.
  93. Mar 16, 2012
    I've played this game a lot as a LAN game at university during breaks enjoying an awesome multiplayer experience on most of the maps. While I don't like playing, failing and leveling up until you are able to play the game as it was meant to be, the unlocking system was a horrible step to take which became popular in modern FPS games! I cannot figure out if it was the level design, nice game modes, good ingame communication or just our group of players that made CoD4 one of the best multiplayer FPS games I've played since CoD1 (haven't tried many in between). Since then multiplayer games seem to have lost the way to team players up (maybe the console gaming with players have to few buttons!?).
    +++
    The singleplayer game is quite straight forward with some awesome moments (The Aftermath) and some horrible flaws: You are the super soldier who has to blow up things, shoot any enemy, push forward -- which hinders you from playing a support gunner covering your team -- and do all the stuff your teammates can't, but you CANNOT OPEN DOORS! At any point the game has a door you have to wait for your team to open the door and take away all action from you -- okay, in terms of story telling and stopping you from killing important NPCs, it is a way. Still it feels like you are missing the general key to the world anyone else has....
    +++
    After all the game tells its story pretty good without having a whole invasion going on and killing you once an hour for random story reasons. Graphics have reached a sufficient level, anything more is nice to have and forces the player to buy better equipment without any more gain. Multiplayer was a pleasure to play offline and was absolutely worthwhile!
  94. Mar 12, 2014
    That's one of my favorite games. An epic story that should impress every player. The events and the characters are well chosen. And the gameplay is unprecedented. The multiplayer is an amazing fun. A masterpiece. That's good entertainment.
  95. Aug 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (also known as Call of Duty 4 or Call of Duty: Modern Warfare) (Rus "Call of Duty 4: Modern War") - multi-platform video game, first person shooter, developed by U.S. company Infinity Ward and published by Activision. The game is the fourth in a series of Call of Duty and the first sub-Modern Warfare, the project has officially been announced by May 26, 2007.
    Game Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare was released on November 5, 2007 in three target platforms: PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 are also for the other three platforms: Mac, Nintendo DS and Nintendo Wii. On November 12, 2007, the game became available for purchase through the online service Steam.
    The game's plot is associated with modern warfare, the single player campaign gives the player to play for some of the fighters and U.S. special services and regular parts of the UK. The game takes place in Russia, Ukraine, Azerbaijan and the Middle East.
    During the first 24 hours of sales has sold nearly 600,000 copies of the game. Total world was realized over 10 million copies of the game. The game has become one of the best in the series Call of Duty.
    Also, May 25, 2010 the game became available for purchase in the Xbox Live, allowing interested in purchasing this game do not buy it on disk, and by paying, download to your console.
  96. Jun 17, 2013
    I got this game at release date, the campaign was good, but the multiplayer was amazing.
    Even to this date, Call of Duty 4 is by far the best Call of Duty game I've played, newer Call of Duty games aren't as fun to play as CoD 4, every match is full of campers on newer CoD games, also on CoD 4 we have dedicated servers and mods which gives the game more life.

One thing that I didn't
    liked was the veteran difficulty, I just barely finished it once on veteran difficulty, it feels like you die by a cheap way every time. Expand
  97. Jul 30, 2012
    I havent play it online yet but i got best FPS experience with single player. Great game didnt bored even for second. Too bad there's no good call of dutys after MW:1...
  98. Aug 6, 2012
    I can only speak to the SP side of things, but in this respect the game shines. The campaign is not particularly long, but it does a good job of pacing itself--not like its sequels which blow their wad right away. The story is not particularly original, but it ties the missions together nicely and even makes you care about the characters. By the end--which I won't spoil--you feel very invested in what's going on, and the adrenaline is pumping. To increase replay value there's an "arcade mode" which lets you score points as you replay the missions, a neat little feature that I wish had been implemented in future installments. Expand
  99. Jul 24, 2012
    Still the BEST FPS game ever, I still play this game often. To be honest, it's better than Battlefield 3 and MW3 .
    The multiplayer part is very well made and the gameplay is well thought out
  100. Jul 30, 2012
    This game well deserved all the Hype about it, and was pretty much responsible for throwing one of the best FPS of all time from its Throne ( CounterStrike ). It wasnt the game that killed CS, but was a well worth replacement.

Sadly its sequels very really bad in comparison, not only did they ban dedicated server for PC, it was also too futuristic for my likings. But this game itself is
    really one of the best MP shooters i ever played on Console and PC Expand
  101. Sep 22, 2011

1. A beautifully crafted first-person shooter, but without a compelling context. How much does that matter? To me, a little. Not a lot, but it nags. [Dec 2007, p.73]
    Though the single-player lacks length, the multiplayer should keep you invested in COD4 for the long winter. This is a truly fantastic multiplayer offering that's as deep as any other online game available.
  3. It’s absolutely relentless in its assault on the senses and never lets up until the last trigger has been squeezed. The multiplayer is even better, with the perks and weapon upgrades acting as a balance to the lack of vehicles.