Call of Duty: Black Ops PC

5.1

1. Nov 9, 2010
    There is no was that the Critics played the same game that I am now. Black ops is playabe to an extent, but its a very broken game. I cannot get the zombies to play in Co-Op at all, most of the servers lag out and there are multiple graphic glitches, the single player looks exactly like World at War. The multiplayer is fun when it works, but there must have been no beta for this game atThere is no was that the Critics played the same game that I am now. Black ops is playabe to an extent, but its a very broken game. I cannot get the zombies to play in Co-Op at all, most of the servers lag out and there are multiple graphic glitches, the single player looks exactly like World at War. The multiplayer is fun when it works, but there must have been no beta for this game at all for this many ungodly problems. OK game if it worked, but I've never seen a **** release than this. Stick with MW2 for a month or so and buy this later when it works. Expand
  2. Dec 27, 2010
    In all honesty, if reviews are meant to review the vanilla, unpatched version of a game, this deserves a 1 or 2 at best. When Treyarch released the PC version of Black Ops with NO, read it, NO BETA TESTING being done for the PC version, you knew there would be trouble. Lo and behold, framerate issues, and lag issues not only in the MP facet but also in the SP, Zombie mode, AND on theIn all honesty, if reviews are meant to review the vanilla, unpatched version of a game, this deserves a 1 or 2 at best. When Treyarch released the PC version of Black Ops with NO, read it, NO BETA TESTING being done for the PC version, you knew there would be trouble. Lo and behold, framerate issues, and lag issues not only in the MP facet but also in the SP, Zombie mode, AND on the menus caused such a great stir in the community that I nearly returned the game. But after seeing Treyarch was working on a patch (one redeeming quality they have - they listen to the community), I decided to hold onto it. What resulted was a game that was solid. Not great, but solid.

The SP story was forgettable and really...just too much. It was hard to get a grasp on what was going on so often because there was just way too much going on on the screen at once. Too many explosions, to many expletive laced, non-witty comments, forgettable squad-mates (yes even Reznov was forgettable in this story), disjointed story (I know they intended that, but it worked against them), and overall just too claustrophobic. The ending had a twist, but I could have cared less about it. The campaign honestly was about a 3 or 4 out of 10 for me.

The MP is fun for the most part, and I have much more fun playing in the HC modes, and being on the PC, server customization really is a huge plus. The level of customization for your guns, character, emblem and what have you, is a really enjoyable feature Treyarch put a lot of effort into. But despite the balance, and the deep customization system built in the MP, the replay/fun factor for me is quite low. I feel I get bored too often in the MP. I honestly had more fun in MW2 - yes with OMA + Danger Close noob tubers and all. Zombie mode is the true redeeming quality for me with Black Ops. Everything is is either blandly average, or well-below average. No matter how you cut it, there is just no way you cannot help but have a blast in zombie mode. Plain in simple it is the reason why I'm giving this game a 5/10. The graphics are dated, the SP campaign and story is confusing and laughable, the MP is good but just plain Jane good and not fun, the sound effects are rather poor (too many explosions and LOUD white noise) and the musical score is blandly average. Zombie mode? Awesome.

Overall this is a game I would have much rather waited for in the bargain bin, but it is still a somewhat enjoyable experience. If you truly want well-thought out stories, stick to RPG's and adventure games (ME 2, RDR, Bioshock, Fallout, TES). Solid and replayable MP? BC2. Fun and frantic MP? MW2 (despite the bugs). But Black Ops unfortunately does not stand out and is blandly middle of the road.
  3. Jul 14, 2011
    This game is highly overrated by many. The game contains poor visuals, robotic-feeling artificial intelligence, a somewhat bland storyline, and several historical inaccuracies.
  4. Nov 22, 2010
    So I'll have to edit this later probably as I havn't played the SP of this game yet. The MP is the selling point of any COD game and 90% of FPS games so I'll make my comments on that.

The gameplay is decent...I wouldn't say great. I think my clan is behind this game (i cant figure out why, other that the nostalgia of playing a cod title (we loved cod4)) so I will keep playing it. The

The graphics are VERY dated and the engine as a whole feels like a mixture of Doom64, CS:S and WaW, which were all good when they were launched but this took the worst parts of each with the bouncy avatar movement, TERRIBLE textures, and overall cartoon-ish and cheezy graphics. It is so distracting at times that I have trouble playing when i have to stop and ask "is this really the texture of a bush????a GIANT blob of green????no details whatsoever??? after games like BC2, MOH, Crysis, COD4, and Ue3? (yes, i just said COD4 and UE3 games have better graphics, which i thought was impossible from a "new" game).

This game is a MOD that you have to pay $60 for. There's NOTHING new about it, and it isn't worth that. It looks like MW2 in videos, but it plays better than that thank god. It plays more like WaW, but with worse visuals. If they make MOD tools, maybe some modders can make better maps for this thing, but the ones I've played so far are very unimpressive. I gave it more than a 3 because the gameplay isn't terrible and there are HOPES of mod tools. Also, it's a backwards step from MW2 back towards allowing the PC aspects of a game to exist that we all love. It also, sadly, took steps back in technology and visuals. I don't know how they managed to make it look worse than their own game that launched 2 years ago, but they did. My only hope is that maybe with this step backwards, we can now head in a new "forward" direction and make better PC games learning from the mistakes of the past....hopefully anyway
  5. Dec 31, 2010
    Black ops is an alright game in my opinion.The new features like wager match were fun and so was
    multiplayer.The singeplayer was Ok there were some twists and turns but i could pretty much
    tell what it was going to be like.I just didnt really like it , it felt the same and im a COD fan.
    I got bored of it in about 2-3 weeks.
  6. Nov 9, 2010
    So assuming they actually make multi-player playable this game may actually merit a better rating, from what I have managed to play online on our clan server & others there is no "lag" problem its just a really bad programming problem that is hogging almost all of your CPU power. Now I don't have the fastest computer in the world but I should be able to play without FRAME STOPPING everySo assuming they actually make multi-player playable this game may actually merit a better rating, from what I have managed to play online on our clan server & others there is no "lag" problem its just a really bad programming problem that is hogging almost all of your CPU power. Now I don't have the fastest computer in the world but I should be able to play without FRAME STOPPING every 15 seconds! Yes I said frame stopping even my buddies running i7's with the same or better graphics cards do it too.(my thought is the in game theatre is broken and doesn't need to be there its a novel idea at best) Anyway I have not played SP yet, however I am sure it is solid maybe not the best but I am sure it will entertain me. I am just too fed up to even launch the game at this point. Oh and don't even start me on the problems with running a dedicated server or even just supporting the server you paid for.... Expand
  7. Dec 19, 2010
    If you are a fan of infinity wards COD games i recommend you avoid this game, it just missing so much and has more in common it seems with Modern warfare 1 then 2, The spawn system in multilayer is horrible, you will die a lot from being shot in the back by an enemy who spawns right behind you after you take a few steps. After playing the great games made by the creators of call of dutyIf you are a fan of infinity wards COD games i recommend you avoid this game, it just missing so much and has more in common it seems with Modern warfare 1 then 2, The spawn system in multilayer is horrible, you will die a lot from being shot in the back by an enemy who spawns right behind you after you take a few steps. After playing the great games made by the creators of call of duty (infinity ward) this game is just a huge let down to me. This is an indication to me that this will be another game series that Activision will drive into the ground because they want to shoot one out every year to make the most money out of the series like they did with the tony hawk series and what there doing with guitar hero series. The single player is alright, its pretty much like a Michael Bay movie, lots of explosions. If you liked modern warfare 2 I would recommend not getting this game, you will be let down, like i was. Expand
  8. Nov 16, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This title is copping some seriously jaded uses reviews. But I hope this honest opinion may help the decision, whether to purchase this title.

Multiplayer: If you've played a COD title in the past. You'll find the same formula here. It hasn't change much at all. Yes there were issues at initial release. But Treyarch have as always been ready to listen to concerns. And do what they can to rectify them. The wager modes of gameplay are nice. Good to see the borrowing them from other titles ie: CS and Quake etc...
    Theatre mode looks to be a nice addition. Although still in BETA.
    Coop: Zombies are back
    Singleplayer: Probably the only thorn in this titles side, for me. Was the total lack of authenticity in equipment used in it. This game spans from 1961-68, with a memory sequence in 1945. Sadly most of the weapons in it are not 60's era related. Many of which didn't go into production til the late 1970's. But it's a personal thing. That I admired about the franchise. Other than that, it's a sci-fi feel game(especially with the mini-gun sequence like in PREDATOR. If your looking for more of the same COD multiplayer your used to. Or a member of a Gamerclan then I'd suggest it. But make sure you can return it if you change your mind
  9. Nov 24, 2010
    It's pretty obvious why Activision flew most reviewers to a Hotel in Europe to play the game: because using a real world Internet connection, the game is unplayable. The lag is shocking, and the hit detection is garbage. Needs a major patch.

The real disappointment for me was the single-player though - not only was it buggy, it was poorly-paced, and a blatant rip-off of the Manchurian candidate. One of the things Infinity Ward does well is keeping you in the action. Treyarch kept tearing away player control for no valid reason.

And what was with Sam Worthington's accent? I'm Australian and I found it grating. Why didn't they do additional takes?

Good sound track though.
  10. Nov 15, 2010
    @ smith, Comparing WaW to MW2 is complete **** There was much less problems with WaW than MW2, and even asking why Infinity Ward did not make Black Ops is a no-brainer; 2 lead executives were fired from IW then over 20 people left to work for EA at the new studio that the executives went to. Do you really want a IW to make Black ops when there is no one left?? All you people who love IW@ smith, Comparing WaW to MW2 is complete **** There was much less problems with WaW than MW2, and even asking why Infinity Ward did not make Black Ops is a no-brainer; 2 lead executives were fired from IW then over 20 people left to work for EA at the new studio that the executives went to. Do you really want a IW to make Black ops when there is no one left?? All you people who love IW are idiots, go figure out what your talking about before posting. Expand
  11. Dec 18, 2010
    I installed this game on my laptop. It stuttered to infinity. I installed this game on my gaming desktop (overclocked i7, 6GB RAM, 4890) and it stuttered less so. Several released patches indicate they're trying to get it to how it should've been at launch. The stuttering is slightly easing up with the patches, and under all of the problems, there is a fair game waiting to break free.
  12. Dec 26, 2010
    1) Cinematic sequences have already been seen in Modern Warfare 1 and 2 and in my opinion were better realized (with more suspense and heroicism).
    2) The soundtrack is very good, but the problem is the sound itself. I have not even read somewhere a comment on the weapon's sound, which is too "dry" (without reverb in indoor sequences and echo in semi-open levels such as roads). Also, many samples are recycled from old CODs (PPSH 41 and MP40 have the same sound of COD2). Even support for surround 5.1 is not so good. Bad Company 2, enabling the appropriate option, is in another galaxy.
    3) Black Ops graphics are a scandal nowadays. The game almost looks like Modern Warfare 1, which was nothing special. Particle effects are not so good and textures are low res. Level backgrounds are still horrible. This is because the graphics engine is very old. Even UE3 can do better.
    4) 6 hours to complete singleplayer
    5) Scandalous AI. Teammates do not defend us and just move from cover A to cover B.
    6) Still too many scripts and infinite enemy troops respawn.
    7) Too accurate enemies at high difficulties (they can easily hit us from far distances)
    8) Awesome plot and lovely flashbacks
  13. Nov 11, 2011
    Being a huge MW2 fan, I wanted to love Black Ops. Sadly, for PC the game is a technical failure. The engine runs very poorly and even though claims to run at 90 FPS, is choppy and stutters. Aside from the fact that it took months for the developer to patch the game to a playability state, the gameplay is just not as polished as MW2. I enjoyed the SP campaign for what it was, although thereBeing a huge MW2 fan, I wanted to love Black Ops. Sadly, for PC the game is a technical failure. The engine runs very poorly and even though claims to run at 90 FPS, is choppy and stutters. Aside from the fact that it took months for the developer to patch the game to a playability state, the gameplay is just not as polished as MW2. I enjoyed the SP campaign for what it was, although there were several totally obnoxious parts where the game didn't indicate what you should do (stupid barrel section!). Overall, the game just failed technically, so it gets a 5 since it was playable, but not very good. Expand
  14. Jan 5, 2011
    Besides not being anything new the multi player is unplayable due to disconnects. I mean it, UNPLAYABLE. Unplayable MP, stuttering like mad on C2D 3.0 with 4gb and 9800GTX card...even on lowest settings. Then there's lag issues, CTD problems....you get the picture. Stear clear from this junk until it's fixed.
  15. Dec 12, 2010
    Black Ops is a let down after the Modern Warfares of the last few years. Some interesting plot devices and nice set pieces but it leaves you feeling Treyarch did just enough and no more.
  16. May 2, 2011
    I used to love Call of Duty. It used to be a landmark in the genre of FPS, but in 2010, it has become so massively popular, that it's not even funny, there is an overdose of these games.

Activision has decided on the terrible marketing strategy that they would release a new CoD game every year, and while this works, this shows on the games. Black Ops is a very polished, excellently

Black Ops is a very polished, excellently crafted game. But that's about it. It feels like it's a giant retail patch for the previous CoD games, rather than a title on it's own. It has what it takes to be a good game, but it doesn't offer anything new, different , spectacular, it does the exact same thing that many other FPS can do, and could do for a while now.

And for that, I can't give it a green score, because that territory is reserved for games who beg to differ, or try the hardest to outshine their competition, with something daring that works. Yes, daring. Activision is known for pushing for financial safety with their rehashed flagship franchises. But the games achieving the most success have always been the ones who took some kind of risk, and did their best to make something new work.

And by now, the CoD fanbase has been "trained" to behave the same way, and buy the new CoD, because that's guaranteed to be quality, and they have stopped to buy unique games, because it might be a bad game.

I do not ask Treyarch, to reinvent the wheel. Just try to spice it up one way or another. Shoving in new multiplayer modes is a good idea, but that's not the entire game.It's worth a purchase if you really (REALLY) want to keep up, but there are currently more exciting choices.
  17. Aug 19, 2011
    makes me laugh the fact that Treyarch ALWAYS tries to copy directly what infinity ward does.

But at least this time they actually put some kind of "recoil" (just a little bit) in this version, in mw2 recoil doesnt exist at all in any weapon!And besides there are those damn global servers designed for retarded ass console gamers that doesnt care of what they play. Besides the good things

Besides the good things comes the bad ones: the maps... oh god they are designed from a 2 years old child that only wants to camp, and whats the deal with all these DLC's? 4 DLC's that costs 15 euros each???

Treyarch WTF?
  18. Nov 12, 2011
    Not as succesful as MW 2 but I prefer it. Good story, good gameplay, good graphics; a good game.
  19. Nov 12, 2010
    as said before: this game has nothing realy innovating.
    the single player is very 'meh', IW does a far better job with single player campaigns.
    the maps are linear and the overal story is very confusing. a big 1 point to Treyarch for giving us dedicated servers, if the only worked well from day one... the overal graphics of the game are outdated, nothing special here. the gameplay itself
    as said before: this game has nothing realy innovating.
    the maps are linear and the overal story is very confusing.
    the overal graphics of the game are outdated, nothing special here.
    the gameplay itself is... treyarch style.
    just like World at War the gameplay is more 'slower' than MW2 and even CoD 4.
    this makes the gameplay less intresting but helps agains campers.
    the online gameplay is, for so far, balanced and fair.
    a very welcome feature is zombie mode,

overal this game is OK, but is nothing special to the call of duty series.
    it does do a good job of making a playable, balanced game but withoud some innovating fun features it isn't realy that great.
    if treyarch took care of MW2 after it's release from IW (to fix big issues that ruin the game) it would be THE single best multiplayer game ever.
    sadly thit didn't happen and BO is like the oposite of MW2: balanced but boring.
  20. Nov 10, 2010
    Black Ops single player is far from a perfect experience. While it does have some truly stand out moments which help its case. The whole interrogation portion of the main story is jarring and inconsistent; this caused me never once to feel connected to anything that was going on in the game nor with any of the characters. It also should be noted that playing this game on anything more thanBlack Ops single player is far from a perfect experience. While it does have some truly stand out moments which help its case. The whole interrogation portion of the main story is jarring and inconsistent; this caused me never once to feel connected to anything that was going on in the game nor with any of the characters. It also should be noted that playing this game on anything more than Normal mode is purely an exorcise in frustration. There are times when you'll receive no updates as to that you're objectives are at all causing you to die repeatedly while trying to reach your way-points. Only after stumbling across them blindly do you get any sort of a hint as to what you should be doing. Your team AI is also absolutely incompetent, there were many times where you could be following one of your AI companions and they'll totally ignore rushing enemies only to have them appear next to you.and then melee you to death. This brings to mind the recent relaunch of Medal of Honor. Many times during the single player experience in that game my AI squad mates would call out enemy locations "Enemy at 4 O'clock, second story" which would in turn lead me to scope out that area and down the bad guys. This never happened at any point in Black Ops. If anything I felt they simply got in my way.
    By the end of the game I just wanted it to be over and I found myself only playing more to unlock the next Achievement and in my mind thats not a very good reason to play games. The multi player component of the game is where it really comes into it's own and is the main reason I gave Black Ops a 7/10
  21. Nov 9, 2010
    The first honest review on here so far:
    To start with I DESPISED MW2..it was literally the worst thing to ever have the CoD name splattered on it.
    The first honest review on here so far:
    I bought and played a few minutes of BO today (needs a patch to fix the lag issues before I can really play it) and it's better than MW2..but not by much. I'm bummed that the maximum ranked server size is only 18..but I can get over that considering how small the maps are.
    But I was at least hoping they'd have the firearms right. A vietnam-era M16A1 used 20 round magazines and was full-auto/semi-auto. The M16A1 in BO has 30 rounds and fires burst only. And as an amusing anecdote some 12 year old on the server I was on was flaming me and trying to tell me that I was wrong..that made my day.
    Planning on checking out the SP later tonight when I get the chance.
  22. Nov 10, 2010
    I have a Q6600 at 3.4ghz and a hd5870. I can play the single player no problem. Just passed it on veteran. (theres a bit in Vietnam that was insane.) Went to try multi player and it was a joke. Was quite excited for a cod with dedicated servers after the mess that was mw2 multi player. I connected and found it un playable. Massive lag spikes where I would accelerate or slow down then getI have a Q6600 at 3.4ghz and a hd5870. I can play the single player no problem. Just passed it on veteran. (theres a bit in Vietnam that was insane.) Went to try multi player and it was a joke. Was quite excited for a cod with dedicated servers after the mess that was mw2 multi player. I connected and found it un playable. Massive lag spikes where I would accelerate or slow down then get shot. I understand it has just been released and may need a patch but has it been tested at all? Honestly don't buy it for multiplayer untill it gets fixed, If you do like me your waisting your money. I haven't posted here before and gave it a 10 by accident last time. Its a 7 at best. Only because of single player being a 8 hour long michael bay movie. Multi I give a 4 because it is un playable. Good Ideas but a joke. Expand
  23. Nov 18, 2010
    My review is based on Single play(SP) as I never play Multiplay(MP). The game is quite enjoyable and sucks you into a curious story of adventure, thrill and drama. If you enjoyed the story lines of other COD games this one [while not a continuation of MW due to a different developer] is quite interesting. My personal issues with the game are checkpoint saving which I detest [as previousMy review is based on Single play(SP) as I never play Multiplay(MP). The game is quite enjoyable and sucks you into a curious story of adventure, thrill and drama. If you enjoyed the story lines of other COD games this one [while not a continuation of MW due to a different developer] is quite interesting. My personal issues with the game are checkpoint saving which I detest [as previous COD games had], far too much random flashing images due to flashbacks, really not to my taste. Some minor issues with scenes in Vietnam, the caves the developers made for the Vietcong were too big (wide), and yes I have been there and have personally been in the caves, the game scenes made it feel like a cake walk, imagine crawling on your stomach in some parts, wider parts just barely enough room to crouch walk (with bats flying by lol).

AI is all right but I get tired of enemies breaking rank and running straight for me around a large group of "friends" and being ganked while my friends watch, many parts of the game I was unsure what I was supposed to be doing, objectives weren't so clear. I spent a fair amount of time tossing out colorful metaphors at my monitor dying and not sure what to do. All in all a worthy sequel to the COD series and if you play it for the SP then don't be afraid to check it out. I will enjoy replaying through SP. As for MP, well, I will let other reviewers comment.
  24. Dec 30, 2010
    The story on which is based the game is wonderful, but the game is too buggy: I had to restart it several times each mission to complete them all. I think it's better to play it in a PlayStation or XBox, because the hardware prerequisites are too high, and people will not buy a new pc only to play this game. Eventually, the multiplayer is not as great as the MW2 or MW, but i think this isThe story on which is based the game is wonderful, but the game is too buggy: I had to restart it several times each mission to complete them all. I think it's better to play it in a PlayStation or XBox, because the hardware prerequisites are too high, and people will not buy a new pc only to play this game. Eventually, the multiplayer is not as great as the MW2 or MW, but i think this is much more personal. Expand
  25. Nov 1, 2011
    Ok first off i am not going to rate this game for MP but i will say it worked fine for me. I have no other C.O.D. title to compare to or go by as this is probably the only one i will ever purchase partially due to the fact they hardly ever have sales for it and since they have so many titles i just don't see the point. there are so so many other games out there to play. That being said, iOk first off i am not going to rate this game for MP but i will say it worked fine for me. I have no other C.O.D. title to compare to or go by as this is probably the only one i will ever purchase partially due to the fact they hardly ever have sales for it and since they have so many titles i just don't see the point. there are so so many other games out there to play. That being said, i really like Black ops one of the best newer Fps i've played but its on the lower rung. too long of cut scenes in single player and the story was ok with fairly smooth gameplay. it's a decent shooter but i believe if youve seen one C.O.D. youve seen them all. I found the Multiplayer to be quite enjoyable though i have to say they fell way short of BBC2 witch completely rocks C.O.D.s' socks off sorry i just had to say that lol.. this is a good game imo but not worth the price. Also i almost forgot to mention the main reason i chose this C.O.D. title was for the fact it seems it has the most to offer out of all of them. The arcade mini top-down zombie game is awesome and the fact they brought the zombie mp mode back is worth mentioning and fun as well Expand
  26. Nov 15, 2010
    Call of Duty I like, but this part of my heart. I imagined the game differently. Dead Ops Arcade is very funny. It does not change my view of the game. Black Ops is a cheap substitute for Modern Warfare 2, but good remake World at War
  27. Nov 11, 2010
    Just know when you play this game on a PC you need the right PC a DEDICATED GAMING MACHINE large quad cpu (Phenom OR i5) or better, 4 gigs of ram or better a 64 bit (Windows 7 or XP - NOT vista!) and a multi core Graphics card is recommended. The gaming engine is so demanding that lesser computers have no playability in this game. DUAL CORE MACHINES NEED NOT APPLY.
    I'm' dead serious
    I'm' dead serious this game was stressing my phenom x 4 965 OC'ed to 3.9ghz and the 9800 geforce to the limits of performance on MODERATE graphics. I built this gamer machine a year ago with the best, at this rate I will need to build another just to play the next installment. By dedicated machine I mean dedicated: no Anti virus: no video ripping: NO ITUNES. so don't go downloading porn.
    when you have the RIGHT machine this game has ASTOUNDING GRAPHICS .. full stop-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I own all the call of duty games in the series for PC. Played them til my eyes crossed at times. The single player game was fantastic challenging without being too frustrating, astounding plot, phenomenal graphics, compelling characters. It felt like a six and a half hour interactive movie. Single player campaign was miles above MW2 in my opinion, and I thought MW2 could not be topped. The Multi-player has a very WAW fell with modern weapons even some that did not exist in the time frame of this game setting, but I'm glad they stretched reality there it makes for a better experience. Updated but not revolutionary is the best way to describe multi-player. The co-op portion was very disappointing, I like the zombies don't get me wrong but I wanted the co-op experience similar to MW2. Not to mention just endless waves of zombies gets old quick. The co-op in MW2 had hours of excitement for me and my friends. We had to function like a small Spec-ops team to complete the maps. You needed: communication, precision, and teamwork to do the missions. Not like Multi-player where no matter what organization an communication you try to establish everyone runs around and does there own thing. There is a "Combat Training" mode you can play privately with your friends, but event the AI runs around like decapitated chickens. If they offered non-zombie co-op maps in the future maybe ill buy them (maybe) or hold my breath waiting for it to return next year. Overall a great game. I'm glad to see the franchise grow and improve. It would be a perfect 10 but multi-player did not blow me away like COD4 & COD6, and no good co-op which makes the game playable again and again.â
  28. Nov 26, 2010
    Upon release, the game was nearly unplayable. After a couple patches, Treyarch has improved upon the game's flaws but there are still obvious bugs that need to be addressed. Aside from a buggy release, the game is fantastic and extremely enjoyable. Loaded with features, game modes, and customization options, Black Ops is the best game to be released in the series so far... when it works.
  29. Nov 11, 2010
    Imagine yourself in a toilet. Now imagine wiping your butt before you actually poop. That is sort of what Back Ops is like. A rather pointless exercise. Stick with Modern Warfare for your fix, it is a shame that although this would have been amazing if Activision took their eye off the profit margins and truly turned to innovation.
  30. Dec 13, 2010
    Game was on sale so I ignored all these reviews and bought it anyways...

Simply put the single player is the best single play FPS ever. It's like a great action movie. MultiPlayer was unplayable, my computer would just freeze for a second every time you see someone. Turning off Vsync resolved my multiplayer performance woes. The match finder is complete junk it will join you to
    Game was on sale so I ignored all these reviews and bought it anyways...

MultiPlayer was unplayable, my computer would just freeze for a second every time you see someone. Turning off Vsync resolved my multiplayer performance woes. The match finder is complete junk it will join you to servers with stupid rules like only crouching allowed... ugh.

There is no real match maker it just dumps you into a dedicated server... Dedicated servers can be nice but they are a double edged sword... lots of servers only cycle 1 map, they have dumb admins etc etc.
  31. Jan 2, 2011
    I must say this is the best Singleplayer of the Call of Duty series ever, i know this game had lots of bugs. The first time i played Black Ops was on the release date at a friend, it had some laggs in both SP and MP i decided to buy it a month later and i had no any problem with laggs and or bugs, i played Singleplayer and Multiplayer without any problems and with 100% fun. So stopI must say this is the best Singleplayer of the Call of Duty series ever, i know this game had lots of bugs. The first time i played Black Ops was on the release date at a friend, it had some laggs in both SP and MP i decided to buy it a month later and i had no any problem with laggs and or bugs, i played Singleplayer and Multiplayer without any problems and with 100% fun. So stop complaining if you got laggs, learn to read the requirements before buying a game, otherwise get a console. Expand
  32. Dec 1, 2010
    IMO 2. best FPS of 2010 after BC2. I haven't had a single problem with performance, even though I think gameservers.com is one of the worst providers of all time. Camping is absolutely no problem in this game, the only people who even remotely suceed at camping are people with ghost, and even then just getting blackbird will solve that problem. I really love seeing all those goddamnIMO 2. best FPS of 2010 after BC2. I haven't had a single problem with performance, even though I think gameservers.com is one of the worst providers of all time. Camping is absolutely no problem in this game, the only people who even remotely suceed at camping are people with ghost, and even then just getting blackbird will solve that problem. I really love seeing all those goddamn campers with >0.50 score. The game is overall fairly balanced, there are a couple of the weapons that suck hard, but the rest are more or less equally strong, with the exception of the knife of course. Noobtube is no problem, flak jackets does a great job of making noobtube entirely useless, which I think is pretty nice :) Expand
  33. Nov 10, 2010
    Im writing this because of all the miss information in previous posts. Infinity ward were developing this game, but it was handed to Treyarch because Activision Fired all the Bosses (and original owners) at IW and most of the dev team quit to join a law suit against Activision for all the bonuses they were promised for MW2.

IW is owned by Activision but none of the talent works there

IW is owned by Activision but none of the talent works there anymore!

Look at Treyarchs back catalogue, this game was always going to be sh!t. FACT

Game review:
    Single Player: Surprisingly i enjoyed this, Good storyline, nice moments but too short (5 hours to complete it is a joke).
    Good but dont buy it for the Single player alone.

Multiplayer:
    LAG, They bring back dedicated, but only with a provider with a poor record, more money grabbing.
    Balance? Fantastic scope for griefing with the new Knife, but we shall have to see as more hours are clocked
    Fun? Yea damn it its still fun
    On the premise that they will fix the lag issues, this game gets 6/10
  34. Nov 21, 2010
    Starting on a positive the single player of Black Ops was one of the best developed in the series thus far, however the storyline that accompanied it was a rather weak attempt at creating a dramatic drive. Perhaps it is unfair to compare it to the previous games of the series but I felt less pulled by the characters and the story than in the Modern Warfare iterations; placing the voice ofStarting on a positive the single player of Black Ops was one of the best developed in the series thus far, however the storyline that accompanied it was a rather weak attempt at creating a dramatic drive. Perhaps it is unfair to compare it to the previous games of the series but I felt less pulled by the characters and the story than in the Modern Warfare iterations; placing the voice of Gary Oldman and various others in game is not enough to create compelling characters. The main upside to the single player was the unique action sequences, however they seemed rather tacked on and the remainder followed the usual mission formulas. Many complaints followed the initial release concerning the lag issues in the multiplayer, despite the fact that Treyark quickly made an attempt to solve the issues, it remained a rather inexcusable oversight on behalf of the developer and one that could have been avoided with the now industry standard of holding open beta programs. The available maps seem to lack a certain refinement, the layouts tend to promote a single class type, most often resulting in whole teams running about with SMGs. The maps were always at their best in the original Modern Warfare, which Treyark simply haven't followed up on, even their previous World at War had better designed maps. Again I'm making possibly unjust comparisons but the graphic quality of Black Ops seems to lack the detail present in the Modern Warfare games, textures do not seem to mach each other with various levels of contrast surrounding the screen making the together seem somewhat overwhelming. Perhaps this is simply because more color is present than Modern Warfare's standard grey, or if it is my own warped perception, all I know is that the graphics of Modern Warfare have always looked better in my opinion. Overall, while Black Ops has attempted to innovate certain areas, it remains incredibly similar to the previous incarnations of the series and as such will suffer from being compared to these predecessors, the level of which Black Ops simply does not meet. Expand
  35. Feb 12, 2011
    Call Of Duty : Black Ops was very highly anticipated by me, and other COD fans, but to my utter horror, the game ran absolutely terribly and was completely unplayable. A few patches later, the game still doesn't run perfect and has a few bugs, but is mildly enjoyable.
  36. Nov 11, 2010
    Call of Duty 7 in all the worst games of Call of Duty treyach the studio sold the games there are bugs out the games too fast.welcome too the jungle of lag Monkey ,

You buy that games you are a big Monkey if of vote for 10 or 9 you dont no whats is COD !!

The fist thing the most is MP in this games see all cod games all player buy thats for multiplayer too ave more fun whit it!!
  37. Nov 11, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To experience the game at quality graphics you will probably need to build a new computer, with the most current graphics and audio card. My Duo-core 2 Ghz processor and GeForce GTX 465 had just the bare minimum to play the game in Lowest-setting graphics at somewhat choppy 40 fps. Trying to play the game in Normal settings made the game stutter and unplayable. Even at lowest graphic settings I still experienced occasional stuttering in some heavy scenes. I also experienced stuttering audio about every 5 seconds during the movie sequences, but I was using USB headphones so it is forgivable. I can't help but feel that the coding is somehow off for the PC version, given that the quality of the graphics comes at such a huge cost. Yes, the things like motion capture and such are revolutionary, yet I feel the implementation was done with a sledgehammer instead of with a precision instrument. The game is very taxing on absolutely everything, perhaps the coding was inefficient in general?

*possible spoilers*

The game plot was interesting and I did enjoy the story. Towards the end, however the plot quickly comes to its end leaving you wondering and perhaps wishing for a bit more. Ethically, I had a small problem with how some of the criminal masterminds seemed to get off easy considering their war crimes. Take for instance, one scene where you see an innocent victim experience a gruesome death after being exposed to Nova-6 gas. You see him die a slow painful death- his skin boils off, his eyes pop out of his head, and he's throwing up screaming in agony. Later, there you hear someone acknowledge that they tested the stuff on newborn babies. The criminal mastermind responsible for this heinous act gets off way too easy in comparison, with such a relatively quick and painless death that it's almost an injustice to the plot. I would have liked to seen at least the Lead Scientist behind it all 'accidentally' have his gasmask come off in a room full of Nova-6. Character development I would give a D-, it could have been better. The hero NPC's have a predictable bio that you've probably seen in movies many times over. Pretty much zero character development on them, you don't even know their histories just that they are on the same team. Relavetively little character to character dialogue on a personal level, 100% of the talking is mission oriented. If you see a comrade die, you feel very little for them other than the fact you now have one less gun watching your six. I did find it interesting that much of the dialogue in the foriegn (Non-English speaking) NPC's was conviently in English. Take for example a part of the game where 2 Russian prisoners speak to eachother in English inside of a Russian prison. The plot suffers as a result. Overall, copy and paste characters in this game. The only character I found interesting was the protagonist due to the mystery surrounding his memories.

That Spec Ops feeling that some people are looking for does exist in some parts of the game. It was a refreshing change compared to other war FPS.

The game is graphical eye-candy if you have the system to play it. Just be willing to pay for it. You buy this game for the great graphical violence and the Spec Ops nostolgia, not for all the great things you see in other games.
  38. Nov 14, 2010
    Ive always been a fan of treyarch releases. I enjoy their games being that tupically they are more balanced. Though this game fixes alot of the game-breaking elements introduced into MW2 (not a tall mountain to climb as many know) it fails to come anywhere near COD4 and WaW. Treyarch made some much needed adjustments and removed alot of the frustrating elements that outright ruined MW2.Ive always been a fan of treyarch releases. I enjoy their games being that tupically they are more balanced. Though this game fixes alot of the game-breaking elements introduced into MW2 (not a tall mountain to climb as many know) it fails to come anywhere near COD4 and WaW. Treyarch made some much needed adjustments and removed alot of the frustrating elements that outright ruined MW2. Sadly they played it TOO safe and in the end made a bland game. I was very happy to see the unholy trinity of martyrdom, juggernaut, and stopping power removed completely. This could have been enough to make the online leaps and bounds more playable than MW2 but, put simply, the included perks are boring, recycled, and unimaginative. It was also refreshing to see Treyarch practice some sanity by removing dual-wielded shotguns (really Infinity Ward? REALLY??) and issuing major nerfs (handicaps) to the grenade launcher and assault rifles. Hit detection is as abysmal as any cod game so cant count them off there. the weapons are incredibly balanced each with a relatively different play-type leading to more diverse games where not everyone is using the same thing (I'm talking to you famas, m16, SCAR, .50cal, dual rangers). It was nice to see more than one semi-auto rifle but they are much too weak to compete in a fully automatic world. Another issue is snipers were pretty much written out when it came to map design and balancing. Sniper rifles are difficult at best and just dont pack enough punch to be useful. Sniper Players may find themselves snagging some assists but thats only if they can post up long enough to pick off ignorant and unaware players before getting gun down from behind by a newly spawned player. That brings me to BO's next downfall. The spawning is abysmal. You can game confidently knowing that you will have enemy players spawning behind you. around you, and sometimes even right next to you. Very frustrating when you journey to a quiet corner of a map to drop a carepackage or other dropped killstreak. There is a complete absence of a "front" so be prepared to scramble, keep moving, and watch your back (even if it placed securely onto the edge of the map).
    Moving to the customization. its safe to say Treyarch was intentionally vague and misleading on the amount of customization. im sure i was only one of many that were disappointed to see that you could not, in fact, change many aspects of your character. It was nice, however to see perks actually affect the way the character looks (ghost, flak jacket, lightweight, etc). Though some may be sold on adding a happyface to their reticle or sculpting male genitalia out of the hundreds of playercard symbols provided, one could not help be feel how absolutely superfluous it all was when there were guns, perks, and killstreaks to buy. The campaign was solid. it didnt break any ground but it was no more superior or inferior to the last 3 COD campaigns. Most dont purchase Cod for the campaign so i wont go into it
    The crown jewel that has come to be associated with Treyarch releases is the acclaimed Nazi Zombies. Treyarch has outdone itself again with much more complex maps and even 2 separate "storylines" You have the ww2 cast of characters from WaW and a new cast of which i will not disclose. The new cast is hilarious and the voice actors are excellent. Its much more challenging. Zombies fall out of the ceiling, leap through windows instead of climb, and there is even a new very dangerous breed of zombie of which ill let you discover for yourslelf. The mystery box moves much more often (averaging 4-5 uses before whisking off to a less defendable room). Treyarch also included a competitive top-down arcade zombie killer that is amazingly fun and good for hours of replay with up to a team of 4. Overall the game is solid and offers an amazing amount of content in terms of maps, zombies, killstreaks(trust that if this had been an infinity ward release you would be shelling out some extra dosh for alot of it). Though it seeks to fix what mw2 broke it just doesnt offer enough NEW items to make people drop MW2, and WaW to make the $60 switch. See you in two years treyarch, better luck next time.
  39. Dec 16, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. yo todavia creo en este juego. soy fanatico de COD SERIES y espero una mejora considerable con la llegada de las nuevas actualizaciones... y que es un juego con excelentes graficos y jugabilidad.... voto posicitvamente... Expand
  40. Dec 22, 2010
    This is what happens when you listen to the stupid community. Now unfortunately there is no class building as most of the weapons are just rubbish. Assault Rifles and only 2 of the SMGs are the only weapons in this game that are actually good. Snipers are useless, Shotguns are useless LMGs are just not superior to the good weapons etc. Lag is a pain in the ass and it is fairly buggy too.This is what happens when you listen to the stupid community. Now unfortunately there is no class building as most of the weapons are just rubbish. Assault Rifles and only 2 of the SMGs are the only weapons in this game that are actually good. Snipers are useless, Shotguns are useless LMGs are just not superior to the good weapons etc. Lag is a pain in the ass and it is fairly buggy too. Due to the fact that most of the weapons are gimped, the game gets extremely boring. It is basically like playing a crappy version of counter strike. People are going to have to realise that the Call of Duty designers are just criminals out to steal your money. Expand
  41. Dec 27, 2010
    Call of Duty: Black Ops basically continues the trend for Treyarch thus far: copy the previous game, but be sure to change the time period, modify gun and perk names, write yet another fairly uncreative story for the campaign, and make an addition or two to multiplayer, like emblem customization. I would have given it a much lower rating about one or two months ago, before the numerousCall of Duty: Black Ops basically continues the trend for Treyarch thus far: copy the previous game, but be sure to change the time period, modify gun and perk names, write yet another fairly uncreative story for the campaign, and make an addition or two to multiplayer, like emblem customization. I would have given it a much lower rating about one or two months ago, before the numerous bugs were fixed, but now that many glitches that have caused the game to crash or freeze have been straightened out, it is a better game. However, this does not change the fact that it is very similar to its predecessor. Let me organize this in a good/bad list. The good: 1. Cool main menu 2. elimination of stopping power perk (now the perk 2 slot will see some variation compared to before) 3. elimination of tactical nuke 4. return of zombies 5. increased multiplayer character customization (outfit, emblem, and red dot and reflex sight aiming reticule). 6. The adoption of use of CoD points (you can buy attachments now instead of getting 6 million kills for something like extended mags) 7. wager matches for those who like to gamble The Not-So-Good: 1. character outfit in multiplayer is based on perk 1, not how the player wants their avatar to look 2. aiming reticule and emblem require cod points to modify (and have no combat benefits) 3. level up a little too rapidly 4. no way to tell if the gun you are purchasing has the attachments you desire available 5. sleight of hand pro no longer affects sniper rifles (no quick scope!) 6. loss of machine pistols and shotguns in secondary weapon slot 7. no new game modes 8. no improvement in graphics 9. $60 for more MW2, but different 10. fewer perks 11. skimpy selection of shotguns, sniper rifles, and LMGs (3 out of 5 primary weapon categories) 12. fewer killstreaks. So, if you liked MW2, but are annoyed by the stopping power perk a lot and would LOVE to customize your emblem and aiming reticule, and maybe want a little variation in guns and maps, the CoD: BO is worth about $30-$40. Unfortunately, that could be a while, since MW2 hasn't decreased in price yet. It might be something to pick up while it's on sale for, maybe 50% off. This game isn't really an upgrade or downgrade from MW2; it's more of a sidegrade, which is not worth $60. Expand
  42. Jan 1, 2011
    Increibele modo multijugador, mucho stipos de armnas, diferentes accesorios para cada arma, camuflaje tanto par aarmas como para la cara de tu jugador, etc. Al basar el juego en niveles hace que sea mas adictivo, pero todos sabemos que cuando el año que viene saquen otro juego, este se quedara obsoleto...

El modo historia esta un poco descuidado. El juego actualemente tiene

El modo historia esta un poco descuidado. El juego actualemente tiene bastantes fallos, los cuales han intentado solventar con un parche a finales de diciembre.
  43. Jan 2, 2011
    This is not the best COD in it's franchise but it definitely isn't the worst. The single player isn't the most thrilling either. It's your basic America number 1 and save the world idea. This game excels in the online game play. There are the same mission types as before but just with different kinds of weapons based in the 1960s to the 1980s (which is cool) You can customize yourThis is not the best COD in it's franchise but it definitely isn't the worst. The single player isn't the most thrilling either. It's your basic America number 1 and save the world idea. This game excels in the online game play. There are the same mission types as before but just with different kinds of weapons based in the 1960s to the 1980s (which is cool) You can customize your gamer icon for players to see your art but you can also at art to your guns and customize the reticles. This game isn't crap, but it isn't anything "intense" worthy. The online is what keeps you coming back, it's a fun no brainer shoot em up kinda game. Hopefully they go back to ww2 in the next one. I'm tired of the modern stuff.... Expand
  44. Jan 7, 2011
    Not a bad game. sure there are a lot of things im not fussed about, like the fact that you don't get time to think in the single player campaign because it is constant action and the random lag spikes in multiplayer for the first month or so was really annoying, but it was fun for a fair while and i got about 50 hours out of the game before i moved on.
  45. Feb 5, 2011
    This game is not what is different from the previous part, but this game potresla me his story. Each level is somewhat reminiscent of the real world ...

In this game you can play for hours!
  46. Feb 17, 2011
    Only good once you're in a multiplayer game.
    Menu is clumsy, not attractive/intuitive at all.
    Campaign is too short, game is buggy, and there was no answer from developpers for weeks and weeks.
    There's no innovation ... What a pity ...
  47. Feb 16, 2011
    merhaba, suana kadar gordugum en iyi senaryoya sahip call of duty oyunu. Modern warfare 2 bile geride bırakıyor senaryosuyla.Treyarch firmasını tebrik ediyorum bize boyle muhtesem bir oyun sunduklari icin.
  48. Feb 17, 2011
    Everything outside the in-game multiplayer experience sucks. Terrible single player game, clunky shell (menu system), bad online server list interaction... Once you're in a multiplayer game, it's great. But everything else makes you think it was done by a different, tragically underskilled team. It's not flawed enough to make you want your all your money back, but it's flawed enough toEverything outside the in-game multiplayer experience sucks. Terrible single player game, clunky shell (menu system), bad online server list interaction... Once you're in a multiplayer game, it's great. But everything else makes you think it was done by a different, tragically underskilled team. It's not flawed enough to make you want your all your money back, but it's flawed enough to make you think the price tag was an insult. Expand
  49. Feb 24, 2011
    Decent, at best. The Call of Duty franchise has grown in the past few years to one of the most selling games out there. The graphics are in no way shape or size an improvement, they just put a different graphic style that looks worse than MW2! At least try to compete with all the masterpieces coming out in 2011. The gameplay is the same old **** nothing new except for a game mode or twoDecent, at best. The Call of Duty franchise has grown in the past few years to one of the most selling games out there. The graphics are in no way shape or size an improvement, they just put a different graphic style that looks worse than MW2! At least try to compete with all the masterpieces coming out in 2011. The gameplay is the same old **** nothing new except for a game mode or two and the new currency system, and the currency system sucks! Either use the ranking system OR the currency system NOT BOTH! The story is new and unique but it is too all over the place! They had an opportunity to make the missions at different times and different places, but they over did it! At least have SOME structure. The multiplayer is fun at times and zombies is a really good time with three of your buddies so its not all bad. The replay value is dependent on the person, for me no so high, considering that i sold it :P Expand
  50. Apr 24, 2011
    Really can't see where all the negative comments come from with this game. Personally ive never had any trouble with glitches or bugs, game rund fine 99.9% of the time.

Very similar to the previous games in the franchise, a bit more variaty would have been nice to see. Single player campaign is rather short (between 4-6 hours depending on how you play it) some more effort in this

Single player campaign is rather short (between 4-6 hours depending on how you play it) some more effort in this area would have been nice to see. Multiplayer is excellent as per MW2/MW etc....

Over prices DLC is this games MAJOR flaw in my opinion. £11.49 for what is essentially 4multiplayer maps is ludicras.

However a good addition to the COD library, cant understand peoples frustration.
  51. Apr 25, 2011
    The amount of 0-4 reviews is quite ridiculous. The game is not perfect. That being said, the game is also not so ungodly bad that it deserves a 0-4. The Single-Player is absolutely amazing. The story is compelling, as well as the characters, and there are many twists and turns. It's indeed short at about 6-7 hours, but worth the play.
    Zombies is...Zombies...bad, overrated, and generally
    Zombies is...Zombies...bad, overrated, and generally boring. There's nothing new in this game, and there won't be in future games with such a "great formula."
    Multiplayer is good. It's nothing amazing, yet nothing so terrible you wish you'd never bought it (see Crysis 2). The customization isn't nearly as deep as I'd like to see, but it'll do.

YES, the game was laggy at the start, but now I'm getting comparable performance to WaW with the recent patches. Is the game worth $60? Yes. For singplayer. Is it worth it for zombies? Absolutely not. Is it worth it for multiplayer? No, maybe $35.

I'd say get it. It's a good package, and if you can get it on sale, it's even better.
  52. Aug 8, 2011
    A decent game. It's not extraordinary or anything, but it's a fun enough game. At release it was ridiculously buggy, but it's gotten a lot better since then. Most of the bugs have been patched up, and the irritating mouse lag that existed for quite a while after release was finally fixed.

The single player campaign was alright. It was at least decent enough for a single play through, but every time I try and play through it a second time, I switch it off soon after. The multiplayer is where most of the fun is. Even the multiplayer falls short after a while, unfortunately. Personally, my biggest issue with the maps is how cramped most of them feel, especially compared to World at War. All in all, Black Ops is just ok. It's not horrid, but it's not great either. Definitely not worth a $60 + $45 price tag.
  53. Jul 25, 2011
    I have to say, although a lot of people apparently disagree, that black ops is one of my favorite call of duties. Black ops tries to be what everyone have been waiting to get since call of duty 4. It has great balance compared to the previous installment modern warfare 2, which looked kind of rushed on many points. That said, black ops still has some balance problems, but it is not as badI have to say, although a lot of people apparently disagree, that black ops is one of my favorite call of duties. Black ops tries to be what everyone have been waiting to get since call of duty 4. It has great balance compared to the previous installment modern warfare 2, which looked kind of rushed on many points. That said, black ops still has some balance problems, but it is not as bad as in modern warfare 2. Everyone knows call of duty, and everyone also has to face the fact, that it is the multiplayer which sells. Although black ops has a very interesting story, it is the multiplayer which is important to the game. Treyarch did a lot to make this the best call of duty so far, but there are a feeling its just the same old game with some improved graphics. What Treyarch really needs is innovation, yes they removed stopping power, and they balanced out a lot of things, and thats great, but we really need something NEW to keep buying these call of duties. Zombies is another nice thing in Treyarchs call of duties. I myself did not enjoy the zombies part that much, and prefer to play games like killing floor and left 4 dead, although i am sure that zombies is a fun thing to play for a lot of people. Call of Duty: Black Ops is overall a very good game, it has the hectic call of duty gameplay, which gets you right into the battle, and the sweet perk and killstreak systems, which varies combat a lot for you, but it still needs that little twitch that call of duty 4 and even modern warfare 2 had. Another thing which is a major downside is, that a lot of computers which should be able to run the game. I myself have a VERY powerful machine, but sometimes i still get a drop to around 40 FPS, which is just unacceptable for a game like this. Expand
  54. Aug 4, 2011
    Call of duty Black ops is by far the worst Cod of the lot, the story line wasnt great because it never felt like you were actually in the Cold war, your always stuck in a damn chair going to flash backs. The multplayer was a complete mess, the spawn points are terrible, becuase if there is a gunner in the sky, theres pretty much no point coming out from hiding until its gone. Treyarch haveCall of duty Black ops is by far the worst Cod of the lot, the story line wasnt great because it never felt like you were actually in the Cold war, your always stuck in a damn chair going to flash backs. The multplayer was a complete mess, the spawn points are terrible, becuase if there is a gunner in the sky, theres pretty much no point coming out from hiding until its gone. Treyarch have tryed too hard to get rid of the camping problem, but instead actally made it worse for players becuase you cant actally spawn safely without dieing on the spot. Obviously Treyarch have looked at Infinity Wards Modern Warfare 2 and seen that camping was a huge promlem, but Treyarch just thought to hell with the players lets give everyone heart attacks. They bacically kept all the campers and added bad spawns near big groups of enemys. The game is still a Call of duty, and i really enjoy them, but the spawns are a problem wich need to be addressed, another point is that Black ops didnt have any good effects, like rain and stuff, the boring graphics the just plain ugly to look at, and the maps are really bad. I like Treyarch, the did a good job of WaW but Black ops was just a little dissapointing. I still play Black ops because under all the crap its a pretty good game. but its just not what we expect from other Call of Dutys. Expand
  55. Aug 23, 2011
    Black Ops is just another pointless COD shooter. Funny zombie mod, everything else is just repeat of old cliches. Boring campaign and frustrating multiplayer.
  56. Nov 20, 2011
    When I saw the first trailer I thought, "Oh snap, these graphics are worse than MW2!", and they are. There is no reason for a new game in a series to have worse graphics than the one before (Crysis 2). On the upside, there are actually dedicated servers, unlike MW2's crap IWNet. The downside of the servers are the inability to have 18 players on a ranked server. Overall it's a mediocre game.
  57. Dec 21, 2011
    Black Ops is nowhere near the superb Call of Duty 4, but is still slightly better than Modern Warfare 2. The main reason is that PC players atleast got a server browser. The singleplayer campaign was interesting, but not as good as the modern warfare counterpart.
  58. Jan 4, 2012
    I was extremely dissapointed with Treyarch's work, coming from a huge cod fan I was so sad when this game was unplayable the first 2 weeks because of lagg and freeze, and when they finally got rid of it, the game wasnt even that good, I didnt spent long time on this game before i returned to MW2. Multiplayer is complelety broken, Singleplayer was boring and slow bad story telling, ZombiesI was extremely dissapointed with Treyarch's work, coming from a huge cod fan I was so sad when this game was unplayable the first 2 weeks because of lagg and freeze, and when they finally got rid of it, the game wasnt even that good, I didnt spent long time on this game before i returned to MW2. Multiplayer is complelety broken, Singleplayer was boring and slow bad story telling, Zombies however was kinda fun but it wasnt better than Spec Ops in MW2. Expand
  59. Dec 1, 2015
    Good single player
    Miltiplayer is OK . .
  60. May 24, 2012
    While the game itself has an epic story and lots of flashes, the main issues of playing this game all goes with some rare bugs, glitches and server issues. Also the graphics are outdated. Even playing the zombie or skirmish modes require Internet access and that's unacceptable. Overall, a decent game that shall require lots of improvement to be made there.
  61. Apr 4, 2011
    The series is starting to become somewhat stale and Black Ops is evidence of that. This game does not do enough new things to earn a very high rating and yet it is not bad enough to be given a shocker. The positives are that the single player storyline is engaging and easy to follow, something which is a big improvement on Modern Warfare. However, the actual play itself remains linear andThe series is starting to become somewhat stale and Black Ops is evidence of that. This game does not do enough new things to earn a very high rating and yet it is not bad enough to be given a shocker. The positives are that the single player storyline is engaging and easy to follow, something which is a big improvement on Modern Warfare. However, the actual play itself remains linear and uninspiring at times. The multiplayer seems to have stagnated. It was done really well in Modern Warfare but I just found things lacking in this respect with Black Ops. Finally, the graphics engine is in major need of an overhaul. Crysis 2 has demonstrated what can be done in this day and age. The CoD series needs to catch up. Expand
  62. Dec 12, 2010
    This game has all the new modern technology applied for the best playing experience. However, this creates a lot of bugs and errors, especially in Multiplayer mode. Many people, including me, are facing game crashes, freezes, errors, and the only way out is to get the task manager in front of your screen. Even people with higher specs than the minimum required specs face these problems.

I

I still prefer the previous editions of Call of Duty because these editions are, in my opinion, made with love and money did not really influence the game. What I really do like is the zombie mode, as seen in Call of Duty World at War, but the Black Ops Zombies still can't beat the original from World at War.
  63. Feb 17, 2011
    If you own Call of Duty 4, you'll probably feel a little cheated when you play Black Ops multiplayer. There are very few new features or innovations and the gameplay is exactly the same. The coop zombie survival mode is a good addition and the single player is decent, but considering the steep price tag, it's difficult to justify a been there, done that game.
  64. Jun 3, 2011
    This review is for multilayer only since that is all I played over the free weekend on Steam. PROS:
    -Dedicated Servers -Bigger teams -Some new stuff -No quick-scoping(?) -You can now lean to peak around a corner -Lag? Well it's less laggy than MW2. -Zombies -You can play against bots. -Maps have trains that go by and other stuff, which I think was neat. -Less wait time between rounds.
    CONS: -The maps I played pretty much suck, most are too small for bigger teams (are there even that many included?). -Graphics don't look as good as MW2 for some reason even on high settings (isn't it the same engine?) -Overpriced map packs that you pretty much have to buy or you get rejected or kicked by most servers (well at least I did). -What happened to all the secondary weapons (I didn't see any machine pistols; did I miss something)?. -Interface takes some getting used to, seems a little too busy (why spend so much time redoing it?). -Why rename things in the game? Call them the same as they were called in MW2 -Why can't I change up my classes between rounds or look at new stuff I unlocked anymore? I have to exit the server/game I'm in just to do that? That is just dumb. -Sound effects seem cheap and poorly done (MW2's sound is so much better)...everything sounds almost muffled. -Weapons just don't feel the same as they did in MW2...overall it just feels like a cheaply made game. -What's with the long load times? MW2 didn't take nearly as long to load maps....there is always this hang time when the loading bar is at 100% for like 2-4 minutes.
    Overall the game is OKAY at best so I'm giving it a yellowish rating. It doesn't deserve an extremely low rating and it certainly deserves nothing in the greenish zone. This game is overpriced at $60, and even with the sale price on Steam over the weekend for $40, it's still overpriced. Given the fact that the game is not well made, it should have been priced at around $30-- especially since they price map packs at $15 that you pretty much HAVE to buy if you want to continue enjoying the game. Thanks for the free weekend Activision, but I'll save my money for a better game....MW3 maybe? Well given the fact that it just seems like Activision sees the COD franchise as a cash-cow now because fanboys will buy up any trash they spew out with the words "Call of Duty" on it, I won't hold my breath.
  65. Feb 5, 2011
    Black Ops, what to say? Treyarch made it half-assed. They more or less copied and pasted MW2, made it look a lil older, made the graphics a lil more uglier and wah la Black Ops!!! First off, pretty much every gun and perk from MW2 was moved to Black Ops, where they were "polished" as Treyarch had said, so more or less changing the abilities of a few perks, changing their name. Look at theBlack Ops, what to say? Treyarch made it half-assed. They more or less copied and pasted MW2, made it look a lil older, made the graphics a lil more uglier and wah la Black Ops!!! First off, pretty much every gun and perk from MW2 was moved to Black Ops, where they were "polished" as Treyarch had said, so more or less changing the abilities of a few perks, changing their name. Look at the guns, same guns as in MW2, Treyarch had released a statement that the guns were suppose to "prototypes" to the guns in MW2, basically an excuse to not have to design very many new guns, just copy and paste :) Equipment was very naive......Claymores? In the 60's? I highly doubt they had lasers powerful enough to be small enough to fit in a claymore, come on Treyarch at least try... The CEO of Treyarch had also removed QS'in because he said "Its a cheap, underhanded tactic." Excuse me? You took out something many people loved, but you left in noob toobs and claymores? Right. Black Ops felt alot like a crappy update on MW2, could even be called a Mod. They used the same engine as WaW, Treyarch was insanely lazy with this game. In-fact, they released a statement a few days ago saying "The biggest problem is -negative- players." Well, if you had actually TRIED to make a CoD game, instead you chose to do a few updates and set the timeline back 50 years. You think you can get away with making a half assed game, just cause CoD is the cash cow it is (which they obviously did). That said, lets talk about the PC Conversion. The game was made on a PC, so why would they convert it to a piece of crap console, and then convert it back to PC in the most **** way possible? Treyarch has made many unfavorable choices in the making of this -once again- half-assed game. But there are a few things........that just made me smile uncontrollably, i mean your blood really starts pumping when you shoot a dude 15ft infront of you with a freaking knife-gun known as a Balistic Knife, or you break out a crossbow with plastic explosive on the tip....... Then you have Customization, making your own emblem, around a good 15 or so camos for guns, face paint. Somehow, when you sit down and play Black Ops, and you just.....get into your gaming mode, you forget about Treyarchs failed turn at the CoD franchise, no you only focus on the guy you just shot in the forehead with a balistic knife. In the end, Black Ops is playable, and indeed enjoyable. What would i like to see Treyarch do in the future? Update your Engine, actually do Beta's, and listen to the players, oh and is having a whole new set of guns and perks and attachments too much to ask for? Black Ops isn't worth $60 but, if you can find it on a sale, or get a good deal on it, take it. Expand
  66. Feb 8, 2011
    Black Ops for the PC is a unique game. Before you purchase this game you should probably pray to whatever deity you believe in, that this game can run on your gaming rig. If you have an i7 with a nVidia 480gtx x 2 in SLI, prepare to feel like you've wasted your money on upgrading your machine.

Stop... It's not your computer, its this poorly optimized, xbox 360 port of a game. This game

Stop...

It's not your computer, its this poorly optimized, xbox 360 port of a game. This game runs terrible for many people, and if you're one of the lucky few who can truly run this game without FPS drops, than thank God. Besides the sluggish performance, the game continues in the path set by MW2.. that is, over powered weapons, unbalanced game play, and overall same ole, same ole bs that we're all used to. If you loved being torn down in MW2 by a silenced UMP wielding super kid with marathon and stopping power, than you'll love Black Ops' AK74u and Famas. Honestly their is absolutely NO point in using any other weapons besides those... Balance... Does not exist in this game... Person with the best weapon wins, always...

If you love being killed by a marathon running, no scoping, sleight of hand pro kid with a sub machine gun at their waist, than this game is for you. If you love playing on a really small map, because most servers only play "Nuketown", Black Ops smallest map, than this is the game for you.

If you love sluggish game play, 12 year olds, and overpowered sub machine guns, this game is for you.

Other than that, this Call of Duty will surely not be missed, save your money for developers who truly pay attention to the PC community, and who can develop a suitably decent game.
  67. Feb 9, 2011

The core action, shooting things, mostly resemble the classic rail-shooter. The narrow path is completely fixed, alternating with truly small open spaces. Straying more than 20 meters fromRegressive. CoD: Black Ops shines in the presentation department. It looks and feels like a modern-day animated movie. Sadly enough, this stands in stark contrast with the shallow gameplay.

The core action, shooting things, mostly resemble the classic rail-shooter. The narrow path is completely fixed, alternating with truly small open spaces. Straying more than 20 meters from teammates results in a mission failure and an accompanying message about abandonment. The single decision left to the player is where to point and shoot.

Dumbed down for consoles, the controls are erratic. At moments not allowing certain avatar actions like crouching. In the same vain are the arcade sequences where the player has to rapidly, and sometimes repeatedly, press a certain key.

These gameplay mechanics require a lot of exposition; press key x, watch the grenade indicator indicator etc.. The necessary guidelines keep popping up throughout the game, constantly breaking immersion .

For a pc game this is a large step backwards, to the pre-Half Life era. If you have not done so, look into Far Cy 1 and Crysis for games offering better depth and balance.
  68. Jun 12, 2011
    For starters, I'm not here to bad mouth the CoD franchise, I have many good memories with the games in the past, but Black Ops simply doesn't lend to any of those good memories. In short, the game is forgettable. Visually, nothing here is really stellar, it looks very similar to World at War which came out a few years back. Another underwhelming aspect that I haven't seen many peopleFor starters, I'm not here to bad mouth the CoD franchise, I have many good memories with the games in the past, but Black Ops simply doesn't lend to any of those good memories. In short, the game is forgettable. Visually, nothing here is really stellar, it looks very similar to World at War which came out a few years back. Another underwhelming aspect that I haven't seen many people mention is the audio. Guns sound like deadly popcorn makers. But the game does have an excellent selection of original pieces and music from the 1970's era in which it occurs. Single player is enjoyable until you get into the convoluted ending, but there are some excellent moments, my favorite being the mission where you are driving a PT boat and in the background "Sympathy for the Devil" begins to play. Multiplayer is another big let down. No longer is there a "SpecOps" mode, one of my favorite features of MW II. I know, it's Treyarch, but still,, Zombies just doesn't feel fun in the BO setting (even in the special unlockable mode). Also, the competitive portion is made obnoxious due to the currency system. Expand
  69. Mar 4, 2011
    The game itself technical issues aside is great. No real huge innovations other than Wager Match (and even there they simply copy from other games *counter strike*) but still the balance in the game is great, the customization is fun and the game play is solid. Technical Issues... just kill it. The first month after release the game was an epic disaster both on the server side and theThe game itself technical issues aside is great. No real huge innovations other than Wager Match (and even there they simply copy from other games *counter strike*) but still the balance in the game is great, the customization is fun and the game play is solid. Technical Issues... just kill it. The first month after release the game was an epic disaster both on the server side and the client side. A bunch of patches later and we still get micro stutters, server crashes, and lost stats. The game to this date is still not 100%

With the quote by fourzerotwo of Infinity Ward saying that "building a new engine would be counter productive", O_o, I think that CoD is now a paint by numbers franchise and it is only 1 or 2 games before CoD goes the way of Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero. In Battlefield 3 we Trust.
  70. Mar 10, 2011
    I am quite pleased with this call of duty. certainly better than WAW. Despite half of the weapons in the game being non existant at the time, ie the ak74 being developed and made in 1974 and being given to the vietcong in the 60's.... The graphics are great, but could be upgraded slightly i think, i played on a DX10 card on full spec. the weapons are amazing exept the ak47 was far tooI am quite pleased with this call of duty. certainly better than WAW. Despite half of the weapons in the game being non existant at the time, ie the ak74 being developed and made in 1974 and being given to the vietcong in the 60's.... The graphics are great, but could be upgraded slightly i think, i played on a DX10 card on full spec. the weapons are amazing exept the ak47 was far too rapid in my opinion, felt like 800 rpm. The story was rich and touched my inner fellings at some parts. The game play WASNT short as i got a good 6 - 7 hours out of it. Runs great on my pc no crashes ingame from an entire playthrough and the variety of weapons is just impeccable. I still dont like that cheap specular lighting thing that makes the characters glow silver still. Overall this game hasnt been so bad as some people make it out to be. But i am quite annoyed how they design the damn game on computers but end up porting it from consoles to the computer. Expand
  71. Mar 15, 2011
    This game has an enjoyable single player campaign, but short (as is traditional of all FPS' these days). As with the previous installments it's cinematic and flashy with lots of explosions etc etc but the story is typical action story lies and deceit (with the traditional evil Russians) but people don't buy these games for the single player they get them for the multiplayer.
    I could not
    I could not get into the multiplayer, I tried, I really tried, but it just is not for me. If you liked WaW you might like it, if you preferred MW & MW2 then just wait till November when the next games out (we all know it will be)
  72. Mar 16, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is either a love or hate game. There are lots of problems in the game. The black ops servers are totally messed up. Pings are base jumping. Finding a server with good ping is almost impossible. The graphic for this game is really a problem when it comes to playing. You need to have a good cpu to run this game. A intel i3 or a duo core isn't good enough. The only way you will enjoy this game is having a good CPU and finding a server with good ping. Multi player game play is even worse, remember when you always complain about the terrible spawn points in mw2? well, black ops is even worse. Capture the Flag, i just spawned in my base and this guy with the flag knifes me in the back.Also The amount of bullets taken to kill a player in black ops is just unrealistic, 2 shots in the head? in real life, it hardly takes two shots, and that is shooting at the chest. Players in black ops dont even shoot people with guns, they go around the place with a ballistic knife and starts stabbing people. What makes them do that? Treyarch increased the melee range, it is like having the commando perk in mw2 but it is automatic. but there is a good change, you cant replenish tube ammo, which means less noob tubers. The creat a class menu , you have to reach a lvl to unlock the gun, and then you have to buy it also. why not you get the gun when you reach that lvl? Instead of unlocking and buying, but the good thing Treyarch did was that now you can buy the attachments instead in mw2 unlock them. There is another problem that i noticed in the attachment combination, why cant you put a grenadier with another attachment? Also why cant you put duel mags with extended mags? you can tape two extended mags together you know? Good thing are there are a lot more customization in black ops than in mw2, like the emblem for example, you can creat your own emblem. Instead of using the default ones. Also the red dot sight and the reflex sight attachment, you don't always have to have a red dot as your sight, you can now select one from the list. there are loads of good ones and funny ones. if you want to buy this game, the things you have to consider is:
    Do you have a Good CPU?
    Do you have a Good Graphic Card?
    Do you have Good internet access? If you dont have all three things above, then dont buy this game.
  73. Mar 23, 2011
    Pretty good Campaign mode, great story and fun scenarios. I didn't play the multiplayer, which is probably the main point of this game, but i suspect it to be the same as MW:2 in that aspect, as in I don't enjoy it much. Too many snipers and not enough tactics turns this game into a "hide from snipers" experience which means there is no real way to develop any form of fighting againstPretty good Campaign mode, great story and fun scenarios. I didn't play the multiplayer, which is probably the main point of this game, but i suspect it to be the same as MW:2 in that aspect, as in I don't enjoy it much. Too many snipers and not enough tactics turns this game into a "hide from snipers" experience which means there is no real way to develop any form of fighting against them. The only way to win is to become a sniper. Try BFBC:2 or BFBC2:Vietnam if you want some real game play online. 7 only for the single player campaign Expand
  74. Apr 23, 2011
    ATTENTION ACTIVISION: IF MW3 turns out to be just like the CONSOLE PORT ABORTION that is Black Ops upon release, then I will NEVER buy another game PUBLISHED by ACTIVISION for your poor ethics of releasing a steaming pile of crap ported games, I can assume there are just as many FPS PC gamers as there are Console gamers...You know you have a following of gamers who enjoy Call of DutyATTENTION ACTIVISION: IF MW3 turns out to be just like the CONSOLE PORT ABORTION that is Black Ops upon release, then I will NEVER buy another game PUBLISHED by ACTIVISION for your poor ethics of releasing a steaming pile of crap ported games, I can assume there are just as many FPS PC gamers as there are Console gamers...You know you have a following of gamers who enjoy Call of Duty games, I have enjoyed them since Modern Warfare 1 & 2, but since then, the release dates have been always November of each of the previous years...and black ops upon release to PC Gamers, was the beta itself, it took months just to fix the major retard issues with the games stuttering and lag issues, and even then, the game still runs like $hit.Not just MP but even the single player campaign is a crap shoot, glitchy as well, but apparently that was fixed,so I will say the single player is short, but enjoyable. But most people buy the game for the MP experience .I should give it a 1 for how bad the game runs, but it gets a 5 because the gameplay itself is incredibly addicting. I have played Black Ops on PS3/Xbox, and the game looks better on consoles than on my PC with a 1080P display and AMD Phenom II 1090T 3.6ghz OC with a Radeon 6950 2gb DDR5 and 8GB of DDR3 ram.... Expand
  75. Apr 28, 2011
    This is my first "new generation" Call of Duty game since Big Red One on my GameCube and I return to the series with mixed feelings. To start off, the single player campaign with it's adrenalin packed missions and bad-ass cut-scenes is allot of fun to say the least. However, those of you who like their FPS games to be drawn out in campaign length may be disappointed here. As I beat theThis is my first "new generation" Call of Duty game since Big Red One on my GameCube and I return to the series with mixed feelings. To start off, the single player campaign with it's adrenalin packed missions and bad-ass cut-scenes is allot of fun to say the least. However, those of you who like their FPS games to be drawn out in campaign length may be disappointed here. As I beat the entire campaign over the course of a weekend playing on and off. With regard to PC performance, the game's engine is poor optimized and I could see it giving some people problems. I have a mid-range 1 GB DDR3 GeForce GT 240 and i can run the game quite well with no problems at about 1280x720 res. with around 40+ fps on the norm. I'm new to Call of Duty multiplayer and Black Ops, again, has left me with mixed feelings. MP gameplay is fast-paced and seemingly geared towards camping, a style that Battlefield vets such as myself might not enjoy, appreciate, or immediately be successful with. That being said, very little is used in the way of strategy besides repetitive actions and tactics. Black Ops operates in conjunction with Steam if you didn't know and I have had no problems there. However, about 30%, if not more, of the games I join in MP are riddled with lag that destroys the experience. Also, if you're like me and do not plan to fork out $15 per DLC, than the MP experience will be cut up by the lack of the maps. I have an average connection and I constantly encounter lag. Before you buy this game please look at what you're getting into. While the game is fun it still has its issues. Issues that would be easily fixed if the dev had spent more time on it. Black Ops gets a 7 out of 10. Expand
  76. May 20, 2011
    Call of Duty: Black Ops is a fast-paced, arcade-style first-person shooter. Being extremely hyped-up for it's 2010 release it looked to be a step-up from Infinity Ward's Modern Warfare series. Overall the multiplayer is quite similar to earlier Call of Duty's only with surprisingly worse graphics, and the return of dedicated servers. The maps are overall pretty small and have a veryCall of Duty: Black Ops is a fast-paced, arcade-style first-person shooter. Being extremely hyped-up for it's 2010 release it looked to be a step-up from Infinity Ward's Modern Warfare series. Overall the multiplayer is quite similar to earlier Call of Duty's only with surprisingly worse graphics, and the return of dedicated servers. The maps are overall pretty small and have a very non-realistic, static like feel. When playing the game it almost feels identical to Treyarch's earlier game, Call of Duty: World at War, with practically identical, shoddy, game engines, and graphics. Treyarch and Activision knew this game was mostly hype and that's one of the reasons no BETA was released. Although i rated this game a six, compare it to my Modern Warfare 2 rating of 7, and my Battlefield: Bad Company 2 rating of 8. I don't think Treyarch will get away with making a game this far below par again. So go out and buy Black Ops for $60, when you could buy a far better Battlefield: Bad Company 2 for $20. Expand
  77. May 24, 2011
    This review is only about single player. I didn't have eny big expectations , and I though that I will hate this game. And I was wrong, the story certainly not a mind blowing experiens with thrilling twists but for a night of playing it will do. I compered the plot of this game with 80-90's action film a lot of explosions killing cool gays with wepons, you iven can change the name AlexThis review is only about single player. I didn't have eny big expectations , and I though that I will hate this game. And I was wrong, the story certainly not a mind blowing experiens with thrilling twists but for a night of playing it will do. I compered the plot of this game with 80-90's action film a lot of explosions killing cool gays with wepons, you iven can change the name Alex Mason with John Rambo nothing will change. Even the villains are stolen from J.Bond movies. And hau you can forget Victor Reznov this guy become my favorit game character, for now ; ). Eas he shauts a lot, but still I get the chils when I hear " I'm Victor Reznov and I will have my revenge!!!!" Now that is BAD ASS.
    So my verdict the single player campeign is't great but not but. I'f you like a lot of explosions and shooting give it a tray
  78. Jul 7, 2011
    Black Ops certainly has reached where the developers want it to be POPULAR - that doesnt mean its without fault or even good and I certainly think the developers have made it popular at times at the expense of being good (or better). For instance the graphics do have high production values and may look realistic but they lack originality or style, Wind Waker will continue to look great inBlack Ops certainly has reached where the developers want it to be POPULAR - that doesnt mean its without fault or even good and I certainly think the developers have made it popular at times at the expense of being good (or better). For instance the graphics do have high production values and may look realistic but they lack originality or style, Wind Waker will continue to look great in 10 years but will CoD? While many hate and argue about many things - that it should not be an annualized property, its a stale formula, the single player is a big explosion but lacks real substance, that Modern Warfare 2 is better, there is one thing that CoD does have going for it- its value for money. There is indeed very high value for money in Black Ops having very high production values, content and game play throught out its many modes, maps, and many hours that can be spent in its games. Its without doubt. The single player campaign was only ok but leaning to forgettable which is a big missed opportunity; the multiplayer does feature a lot of fun gameplay, personally I found the Zombie maps the most fun. CoD has to change a few things for it to reach a good Esport game in multiplayer, and I do really wish it would change its philosophy to its single player story. Black Ops has its good parts and its lame. Lets hope the next CoD will take many of these improvements on board, but I doubt it.â Expand
  79. Aug 9, 2013
    The single player gameplay is all right, the zombie mode is fun, but just as with World at War the multiplayer has a bad feel to it, its lacking the smoothness the MW titles had, but new features such as combat training and CoD points makes it stand out from other Call of Duty titles.
  80. Jul 1, 2011
    Despite all the hate this game got, I loved it. In some ways it surpasses Modern Warfare 2, and in other ways, it doesn't. I do realize that this game doesn't give the best performance for even the best of PC's, but I still liked the game despite all that. The single player was absolutely brilliant, you can tell that Treyarch was trying real hard to step out of Infinity Ward's shadow. IDespite all the hate this game got, I loved it. In some ways it surpasses Modern Warfare 2, and in other ways, it doesn't. I do realize that this game doesn't give the best performance for even the best of PC's, but I still liked the game despite all that. The single player was absolutely brilliant, you can tell that Treyarch was trying real hard to step out of Infinity Ward's shadow. I would choose Black Ops multiplayer over MW2's any day. Expand
  81. Jul 2, 2011
    This game is average. the campaign is epic and very fun. But for PC everything seems to lag a lot even on fast computers. Multiplayer is fun especially if you have friends to play with. the game is at times very buggy and there are a few hackers out there. i would say this game is worse than cod 6 and your probably better off playing on a console.;
  82. Dec 23, 2011
    The single player was OK, but I liked the multiplayer. I do not however like the constant maps that we have to buy....remember when we got that stuff for free?
  83. Jul 12, 2012
    Limited edition is over priced, and the DLC doesn't provide as much as other games. Runs worse than other games even on low settings. However Zombies is really fun, and the gameplay in multiplayer would be worth playing if I had no lag.
  84. Aug 8, 2012
    After playing call of duty black ops on Xbox360, I played it on PC and the connection is definitely so much better, the dedicated servers make it so there is almost no lag at all as long as you play in your correct region. Although the gameplay still isn't exactly top notch, and Call of duty 4 is still better for me.
  85. Jul 9, 2014
    My previous review of this game, in my own words, was immature, juvenile, and selfish. While I can't factor out the fact that this game retreads the same typical stereotypes of Russians being evil (even if it uses an appropriate time frame to justify it), has bounds of DLC that charge so much for so little, pyrotechnics that either kill you through buildings that otherwise aren't flammableMy previous review of this game, in my own words, was immature, juvenile, and selfish. While I can't factor out the fact that this game retreads the same typical stereotypes of Russians being evil (even if it uses an appropriate time frame to justify it), has bounds of DLC that charge so much for so little, pyrotechnics that either kill you through buildings that otherwise aren't flammable or just be invisible overall and kill you randomly, I can't entirely discredit the game for at least being functionally bland. I can't, however, give it a perfect score, but I will try to be more reasonable with the current reception of this game, and others in the future.

While I am no fan of the continuing dismay of trading different filters of gameplay and trying to sell it off as new, at least the gameplay itself does work for the most part. Weapon damage and aim is consistent and substantial, noobtubes, while a crutch to any person's enjoyment, are still present, they aren't as overused as beforehand. And the only bit of credibility that I can give to Treyarch is that they do have a greater tendency to be more about the game than the graphics, unlike InfinityWard. Modern Warfare 2 pissed me the hell off because of that unexciting, jarring motion of getting killed from 8 different places if you looked at someone the wrong way, at least when I play Treyarch's renditions of the COD franchise, I can feel at least somewhat capable and compitent in battle. I might be a tad bit of a rage gamer, since even playing TF2 can get me into a downward spiral of anger that I want to brake my laptop in half. Spawn positions still suck, the bots that you can play against either locally or in the "combat training" still are dysfunctional to how real players play and are unrealistic, often being able to knife 2 seconds before you were even about to, have impeccable timing with the usage of grenades, and literally have no recoil to any of the guns they fire so they will never miss, unless you go out of their line of sight which they won't be smart enough to pursue you anyway.

While this game is in no stretch of the word enticing, original, or even fun at some occassions, it is a mite game that you can spend at the most 2 hours tops playing and get some fun out of it, primarily with the Zombies mode (which should have had more content available, since most of the DLC maps are from Modern Warfare 1,which shows the poor demonstration of them trying to be bigger and better). Kind of like with Battlefield 3, I don't get pissed off over how bad the gameplay is, i just get pissed off of how exploitative the DLC and supposed excuse for originality that the game pretends it has. It doesn't, and you know it. You only serve as a bland, castrated bowl of potato chips. Do they feed you? Sure, but you won't get anything pleasant out of them from doing it.
  86. Dec 3, 2012
    Such tiny little maps make this a grinder to play. After about a week it becomes repetition to the extreme. In the end I would have appreciated a mod kit to allow easy creating of user content of something of that nature.
  87. Apr 9, 2013
    Graphics: 8/10 Gameplay: 6/10 Story: 5/10 Enjoyment: 3/10 Value For Money: 6/10 5.6 (Average)
    I do not understand why there are so many 'awful' reviews... I do not play/or enjoy the Call Of Duty series and even I haven't give them an 'awful' score!
    This is an average game, an average game with an average (yet short) story and an average multiplayer. Also in this review does not include 'Zombies' because... I do not intend to play that part of this game! The Multiplayer is the average "shoot that guy who is trying to shoot you because he wants XP and he has nothing better to do" and the story is the "Let's get a piece of and polish it with a short story line"...
    If it was up to me, do not buy the Call Of Duty series new when the come out, wait for them to be pre-owned and buy them for £2-6...
  88. May 26, 2013
    Not bad, not perfect. It does have a large variety of weapons, great situations, a great ending and so on, but why hate it? Yeah, its not the Holy Grail of gaming but its fun! Just because its a Call Of Duty game doesn't mean its going to be yet another terrible game, and I admit Nazi Zombies, World at War etc are better, but this has a smooth feel to it and isn't cheesy like other CodNot bad, not perfect. It does have a large variety of weapons, great situations, a great ending and so on, but why hate it? Yeah, its not the Holy Grail of gaming but its fun! Just because its a Call Of Duty game doesn't mean its going to be yet another terrible game, and I admit Nazi Zombies, World at War etc are better, but this has a smooth feel to it and isn't cheesy like other Cod games. Multiplayer is messed up beyond repair through little kids raging, cheating and being damn annoying, but Singleplayer Campaign is complete with a good story and a kick-off to the Black Ops series. Try it, but no promises you'll like it. Expand
  89. Jun 2, 2013
    I actually don't mind this game at all. I liked the campaign for what it was. It wasn't too long and not too short. Zombies was especially dead ops arcade. I also like Ascension. That was my favorite zombies map in this game. Moon in my opinion was too much. I like how they brang back the classic maps. Made me happy. The multiplayer as is, is what it is. It's not as bad as I initiallyI actually don't mind this game at all. I liked the campaign for what it was. It wasn't too long and not too short. Zombies was especially dead ops arcade. I also like Ascension. That was my favorite zombies map in this game. Moon in my opinion was too much. I like how they brang back the classic maps. Made me happy. The multiplayer as is, is what it is. It's not as bad as I initially thought it was at first, but I got used to the graphics as they were not the greatest graphics ever, but I managed. Overall, I like this game. Expand
  90. Jul 17, 2013
    I find the game a fair FPS, however, it is not too special. In my opinion, it is the worst of the main Call of Duty games. Now, I will admit that I like the Call of Duty games, but this is one that is mostly mediocre to me. The campaign was very stereotypical and did nothing spectacular except for the Vorkuta and WMD missions. Also, the multiplayer made almost no improvements from MW2I find the game a fair FPS, however, it is not too special. In my opinion, it is the worst of the main Call of Duty games. Now, I will admit that I like the Call of Duty games, but this is one that is mostly mediocre to me. The campaign was very stereotypical and did nothing spectacular except for the Vorkuta and WMD missions. Also, the multiplayer made almost no improvements from MW2 which had made major improvements over the past CoD games. To make matters worse, they had added the CoD points system which I absolutely despise. If I unlock a gun when I level up, I want to be able to use it, not have to buy it. However, this game does have some positives that make up for these mistakes. I found a lot of the map designs unique which set them apart from the others. Also, I found it cool how you could customize your soldier with face paint and change their appearance based on the first perk. Lastly, the Zombies maps were very enjoyable and put a good conclusion to the Zombies story. You may not agree, but I think this is a fair rating for an OK FPS. Expand
  91. Sep 7, 2013
    First bad installment in the series since CoD 3. It seemed like a step forward first: the trailers featured new interesting content, plot of the campaign looked like serious thing and there are not too much good shooters about Cold War era's covert operations and even about war in Vietnam. These things persisted in the final versions, the problem was there was almost nothing else to show!First bad installment in the series since CoD 3. It seemed like a step forward first: the trailers featured new interesting content, plot of the campaign looked like serious thing and there are not too much good shooters about Cold War era's covert operations and even about war in Vietnam. These things persisted in the final versions, the problem was there was almost nothing else to show! Now the CoD 4 formula worked bad as it was tiresome for the players. Developers needed to make something new, a little revolution in the series. Treyarch tried. But wager matches (all but gungame) quickly got boring, the money system become something strange and didn't settle down, etc. All these new features were just the holey cover for the old MW1. On PC, the rudimentary and outdated dedicated servers system was introduced, and I hate this fact. Still, the game re-introduced hilarious and interesting Zombies mode. But it's not worth buying. Expand
  92. Oct 20, 2014
    This game is great because of the Zombies mode. If Zombies had its own review page I would give it a 9/10. But for the Campaign and Multiplayer I would give it a 2/10 because I quickly got tired of it and the Campaign was so awful it made me cringe. Well, what's to expect from a Call of Duty Game these days.
  93. Feb 6, 2016
    Pretty game with original story line. To be honest I wasn't fascinated by the game before and after. It's simple shooting game and it is. Wasn't playing multi, not my story.

1. PC Format
    Jan 29, 2011
    Its duffer solo moments are masked by imaginative and visual whizz-band-fizz. [Jan 2011, p.100]
  2. Jan 26, 2011
    This score will likely come as a shock to many, but this game suffers from pathetic frame rates at times, both on console and on PC.
  3. Jan 12, 2011
    Black Ops is one of the best first person shooters this year, and is a obviously must have for any action fan. Intense, gory and quite brilliant, maybe it's not refreshing but at the same time its a stunning game.