5.0

1. Nov 20, 2010
    I'd love to make a proper review about this game but unfortunately it is completely unplayable for me, it's been two weeks since the game was released and yet there still hasn't been a patch released to fix the stutter problem plaguing the PC version of this game; this sort of business practice is completely unacceptable and I will be demanding my money back.

Definitely not recommended by me.
  2. Nov 24, 2010
    The game is nearly unplayable for many with extremely bad video stutters and lag. In my case the game was playable, if uninspired, and somewhat enjoyable until an error with my profile (stored online not locally) made it so I literally could not log into MP Servers. to date Ive been working with tech support for over 5 days have gotten no updates in 2 days (despite requests for updates)The game is nearly unplayable for many with extremely bad video stutters and lag. In my case the game was playable, if uninspired, and somewhat enjoyable until an error with my profile (stored online not locally) made it so I literally could not log into MP Servers. to date Ive been working with tech support for over 5 days have gotten no updates in 2 days (despite requests for updates) and the techs keep looking for an issue with my computer (despite me not being able to log in to a server from any computer on any network and my friends all being able to play their accounts from my computer). Activisions community manager is silent on the forums regarding the product and is giving the impression that Activision does not care about their customers. If the game had the bugs fixed, and their staff and techs seemed to actually care about customers and or fixings problems then the game would warrant a 5-6 score for being a somewhat enjoyable rehash of World at War with some uninspired changes. but with the amounts of game stopping bugs in both singleplay and multiplay that many customers have, coupled with the complete lack of response from the company regarding the issues the game doesn't deserve a score at all. At this point there is no game for thousands of customers, just a waste of $60usd that can not be played at all, or if they are lucky, can be played with bugs that make the enjoyment nil Expand
  3. Nov 25, 2010
    I play CODs for the multiplayer since the campaign may have been "acceptable" in the previous installments of the game this campaign is boring, uneventful and even somewhat frustrating at parts. I cruised through it while watching Psych on my other monitor, and honestly if you are given the choice between COD BO and any season of Psych, take Psych, at least it's guaranteed fun for at leastI play CODs for the multiplayer since the campaign may have been "acceptable" in the previous installments of the game this campaign is boring, uneventful and even somewhat frustrating at parts. I cruised through it while watching Psych on my other monitor, and honestly if you are given the choice between COD BO and any season of Psych, take Psych, at least it's guaranteed fun for at least 16 hours (+ the DVD extras), not 4 hours of 3D duck hunt. Like said before I play COD solely for its multiplayer and since COD BO lacks a functional multiplayer then it already loses 75% of the possible points it could have scored. This game gets 10%, not even for the effort cause honestly no effort was put into this seeing how they didn't even test it on at least 2 PCs... The 10 percent is for the fun and entertainment I've had bashing the game and it's developers. Expand
  4. Jan 9, 2011
    The worst and most frustrating Call of Duty title to date. If you like running around aimlessly firing from the hip then you will enjoy this game. If you like tactics and strategy elements then go for BFBC2. The Black Ops maps are far to small. The re-spawn mechanics are shameful, re-spawning you in amongst groups of enemies or in a location where enemies spawn behind you a few secondsThe worst and most frustrating Call of Duty title to date. If you like running around aimlessly firing from the hip then you will enjoy this game. If you like tactics and strategy elements then go for BFBC2. The Black Ops maps are far to small. The re-spawn mechanics are shameful, re-spawning you in amongst groups of enemies or in a location where enemies spawn behind you a few seconds later and shoot you in the back. Quick scoping is not possible and the maps have very limited locations for snipers to be very effective. Added to that fact; once you do make it into position the enemy know where to find you. Still bugged and laggy even after the patch. Battle Field Bad Company 2 is a far better and far more enjoyable game. I un-installed Black Ops and won't be playing it again. A complete waste of money. If I could get a refund I would and to think this game sold $360 million in North America and the UK alone on its first day. Shameful, shameful, shameful. I will never by another Treyarch product as long as I live. Expand
  5. Apr 11, 2011
    Where to begin. I'm writing this review a few months after BO has been released(in a very unready state), and patched too many times to count. SP was a pain to go through as I couldn't skip videos, until they were done. Some levels involved the character just wandering empty halls. Unimpressed. I had high hopes for MP to save the game, but no dice. Maps get boring fast, gun customizationWhere to begin. I'm writing this review a few months after BO has been released(in a very unready state), and patched too many times to count. SP was a pain to go through as I couldn't skip videos, until they were done. Some levels involved the character just wandering empty halls. Unimpressed. I had high hopes for MP to save the game, but no dice. Maps get boring fast, gun customization makes no sense as some have attachments, and others don't, and some only have one. Very poorly thought out. Combat training against the AI is neat, and a nice change if you actually want to get a killstreak, and don't want to get ballistic knifed by every single MP person out there. That is until the AI starts wall hacking you. I had high hopes for the latest map pack that was released, until I found out Treyarch was charging $15 for it. Hardly fair after I've already shelled out $60 for a game. Even less fair when you hear a new COD is in the works. Maybe if the makers of COD actually got together and started to create updates of weapons or other items at AFFORDABLE prices, their series won't turn into the Rockband series with lackluster sales.

Overall this game was a huge disappointment from day one. I don't know what drugs the 'critics' are smoking, or what game they played, but it's certainly not the same one as me.

I'd say save your money and go buy another game, but most choices out there are made to make a buck, not to have replayability, so just save your money and go and enjoy some fresh air.
  6. Apr 23, 2011
    I am sorry, but, this is the worst game I have ever played. The developer needs to improve this game a lot! The developer also made a huge mistake by only having one server provider. GS.com is one of the worst game server providers out there. They overload their dedicated boxes and cause tons of lag. Not to mention that by only choosing one GSP violates federal antitrust laws. Do the worldI am sorry, but, this is the worst game I have ever played. The developer needs to improve this game a lot! The developer also made a huge mistake by only having one server provider. GS.com is one of the worst game server providers out there. They overload their dedicated boxes and cause tons of lag. Not to mention that by only choosing one GSP violates federal antitrust laws. Do the world a favor treyarch and do NOT make any more games because you do not know how to make a good game. Expand
  7. Jul 14, 2011
    This game is highly overrated by many. The game contains poor visuals, robotic-feeling artificial intelligence, a somewhat bland storyline, and several historical inaccuracies.
  8. Nov 10, 2010
    THE GAME WAS RELEASED IN A NONE WORKING CONDITION! How the hell can Activision spend millions on marketing and yet not find out about this bug through testing? I want my money back dammit! Treyarch you should be ashamed of yourselves releasing this game in the condition it is in. Seriously, an unplayable game? WTF is your testing team smoking over there? I will never purchase a game fromTHE GAME WAS RELEASED IN A NONE WORKING CONDITION! How the hell can Activision spend millions on marketing and yet not find out about this bug through testing? I want my money back dammit! Treyarch you should be ashamed of yourselves releasing this game in the condition it is in. Seriously, an unplayable game? WTF is your testing team smoking over there? I will never purchase a game from Treyarch again! Expand
  9. Nov 24, 2010
    PC Multiplayer is unplayable for me due to the stuttering. Worst console port ever. People seem to have endless issues with crashes stuttering, lag, sound. If you're lucky it will work fine without errors. But most who own the game have some kind of problem, even if they can play without stuttering.

Its unlikely there will be a patch that blows all the issues away soon. It will be fixed, little by little. Maybe next year or maybe not? 60e "well spent" folks.
  10. Nov 24, 2010
    Worse excuse for a PC game, ever. The game is filled with lag due to unoptimized netcode and horrendous hitching that bottlenecks even the best of systems.
  11. Dec 4, 2010
    This game is pathetic. Stupid single player campaign with a low story where every 2nd word is f***ing. I cant believe that Gary Oldman and Ed Harris gave their names and voices to a game like this.

The MP for the PC is a joke. It is working every 3 days for a couple of hours. Not to mention that you need 200 bullets to kill somebody even if you aim for his head. I cant kill two people with the 20-round mag Skorpion without reloading. But you can apply a face paint what you cannot see. Logical. Finally the fact that made me to give ONE point is that there are 13 (!) guns in the game that didn't exist back at 1968. For example the WA2000 was designed in 1982 or the full auto CZ 75 in 1991. Treyarch didn't do the proper researches for a cold war-era game. This was the last COD game I purchased.

Now I gotta go, the mates are waiting for me in the Medal of Honor multi....
  12. Nov 11, 2010
    Quite the most awful game release Ive seen in a long time. Obvious money grab from Bobby Kotick and his thieves.

Awful Graphics. Awful Sound. Full of Bugs. Dont buy. Its shocking that The reviewers are lying about it, but then again maybe Kotick has their families held hostage, I wouldnt put it past the slimeball. Activision is the enemy of gamers everywhere. Boycott their crap until Kotick gets the boot.
  13. Nov 10, 2010
    terrible lag terrible graphics. Treyarch SUCKS
    terrible lag terrible graphics. Treyarch SUCKS
    This game is unplayable if you're on a PC and there has been no response from the developers. Releases like this spur on gaming piracy. Treyarch, I'll be illegally downloading your next release and seeding the torrent for the next 6 months. If Infinity Ward decides to come back and create another game, even if it's based off of a Jennifer Lopez movie, I'll take 2 copies for 80 bucks a piece.
  14. Nov 24, 2010
    The game is broken and unplayable on the PC, at least for me an a large number of other users. In multi-player it crashes, lags, and freezes. In single-player it works, but it just plain boring.
  15. Dec 16, 2010
    "Overpriced, overhyped, pieces of crap... just rehash and recrank that old engine out and release it as a new game, and you are going to get nominees, you are going to get game of the year, you are going to get best shooters and crap like that"

I am seriously convinced that you critics are getting payed now, first GTA IV, then CoDWaW, then MW2, and now THIS! What the hell is this? Who the hell pays twice for the same game? This is EXACTLY the same game as CoD4. Just like CoD5 AND 6, there is literally more new additions in Battlefield Bad Company 2 Vietnam, which is a 5 dollar DLC for Bad Company 2. In defense of this extremely bad game, CoD4 was an amazing game, I had some amazing times with it, so if you have barely played CoD or never played it, by all means go ahead and buy this, but if you already own another CoD that is the fourth one or one that is past that, DO NOT buy this, you are just going to be buying CoD4 again with a new box art.
  16. Nov 22, 2010
    So I'll have to edit this later probably as I havn't played the SP of this game yet. The MP is the selling point of any COD game and 90% of FPS games so I'll make my comments on that.

The gameplay is decent...I wouldn't say great. I think my clan is behind this game (i cant figure out why, other that the nostalgia of playing a cod title (we loved cod4)) so I will keep playing it. The

The graphics are VERY dated and the engine as a whole feels like a mixture of Doom64, CS:S and WaW, which were all good when they were launched but this took the worst parts of each with the bouncy avatar movement, TERRIBLE textures, and overall cartoon-ish and cheezy graphics. It is so distracting at times that I have trouble playing when i have to stop and ask "is this really the texture of a bush????a GIANT blob of green????no details whatsoever??? after games like BC2, MOH, Crysis, COD4, and Ue3? (yes, i just said COD4 and UE3 games have better graphics, which i thought was impossible from a "new" game).

This game is a MOD that you have to pay $60 for. There's NOTHING new about it, and it isn't worth that. It looks like MW2 in videos, but it plays better than that thank god. It plays more like WaW, but with worse visuals. If they make MOD tools, maybe some modders can make better maps for this thing, but the ones I've played so far are very unimpressive. I gave it more than a 3 because the gameplay isn't terrible and there are HOPES of mod tools. Also, it's a backwards step from MW2 back towards allowing the PC aspects of a game to exist that we all love. It also, sadly, took steps back in technology and visuals. I don't know how they managed to make it look worse than their own game that launched 2 years ago, but they did. My only hope is that maybe with this step backwards, we can now head in a new "forward" direction and make better PC games learning from the mistakes of the past....hopefully anyway
  17. Nov 18, 2010
    potentially worse game than mw2... seriously it gives me a migraine everytime i finish playing the multiplayer.. the amount of lag and bull-sheet that goes on is increadible.. 18 man FFA are you kidding me? TDM i spawn beside my enemy and get shot in the back.. Commando knifing default for eveyone.. isnt this a gun game? why does it make knifing so easy? hit detection is fail... they saypotentially worse game than mw2... seriously it gives me a migraine everytime i finish playing the multiplayer.. the amount of lag and bull-sheet that goes on is increadible.. 18 man FFA are you kidding me? TDM i spawn beside my enemy and get shot in the back.. Commando knifing default for eveyone.. isnt this a gun game? why does it make knifing so easy? hit detection is fail... they say the guns need more skill to use but i always get sprayed down by noob enemies who blind fire their weapon with extended mags, hip firing and random spraying.. worse thing of all i get headshotted.. they say mw2 was broken? well it was but at least it was fun, the graphics were smooth. obviously black ops is better in certain ways because Treyarch just reversed any mistakes that IW made with MW2.. the bugs such as terrible spawns, lag issues, freezing in single player, NUKETOWN, commando lunge default knifing just kill this game.. seriously, i have watched youtube and people are raving about blackops on the XBOX. Has activision ditched the PC community yet again? so what about dedicated servers, IMO the online experience has taken 2 steps back with the bugs and lags. Expand
  18. Nov 18, 2010
    Did the critics play this game? It is not very good, and the detail is awful. They have people using guns that did not exist until years after the historical events in the game. Come on, ACOG sites in 1962! Save your money and skip this game.
  19. Nov 17, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I simpily say : I wanted Military Game - Not a Action Game.
    And say : I don't wanted WASTED my money.
    and I also wanted one of the solder in the battlefield - Not a Action Hero.
    and I also also wanted good optimization.
  20. Nov 17, 2010
    I feel somewhat thrown to the curb as a PC gamer by Black Ops. The game doesn't have multi-core CPU support which leads to choppy frame rate in multiplayer. Activision's solution? "Make sure you have no extra programs running in the background." I liked that they finally got some dedicated servers (although Gameservers.com has a total monopoly on dedicated server purchases) but foundI feel somewhat thrown to the curb as a PC gamer by Black Ops. The game doesn't have multi-core CPU support which leads to choppy frame rate in multiplayer. Activision's solution? "Make sure you have no extra programs running in the background." I liked that they finally got some dedicated servers (although Gameservers.com has a total monopoly on dedicated server purchases) but found the lag worse than the COD:MW2 system of picking a player host! Overall, Treyarch took 60 of my dollars and doesn't care about fixing any of the problems because they've already made all their money. I wonder if any of the professional reviewers have even played the game for more than an hour with their ridiculously high ratings. Expand
  21. Nov 20, 2010
    Another poor excuse for a game. I don't enjoy being played by the computer. I've even seen a video on the internet that shows doing the whole Cuba campaign on hard without firing a shot. Why do developers make their games so easy? What's the point? They've all sold their souls to corporate.

What is it with the cut scenes? I actually want to play the game? If I wanted a movie I would watch a movie.

Another terrible console port. Unhappyface.
  22. Nov 24, 2010
    2010 price for a 2008 game. Average graphics & poor performance with a short, poorly scripted campaign. Give this one a miss or wait until it has had several patches and is on sale.
  23. Nov 24, 2010
    This should be called Call of Duty: Serious Sam edition. Seriously, it's pathetic arcade shooter masked (not very good) as something else. Pro's - i liked the zombies mode, the weapons physics and the fact that the game handles very well on my average rig (at least after the hotfix..) on maxed gfx.
    Cons - everything else.
  24. Jan 8, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is unplayable if you're on a PC and there has been no response from the developers. lag, cheat and freeze of the game.... and graphic are poor that's a **** game !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  25. Dec 17, 2010
    One point I missed in my initial review is the disappointment at playability. Not that it lags, which is going to happen, being a network tech, I understand that networks are not perfect and there will be net congestion. But, being an avid gamer and seeing the far superior graphics of things such as Crysis, and having played all the games, seeing the crude graphics of the first MOH andOne point I missed in my initial review is the disappointment at playability. Not that it lags, which is going to happen, being a network tech, I understand that networks are not perfect and there will be net congestion. But, being an avid gamer and seeing the far superior graphics of things such as Crysis, and having played all the games, seeing the crude graphics of the first MOH and COD games, it is most disappointing to see such little marked improvement in physics (railing where even the spaces between the bars block fire), and weapons that will, with all the same settings will punch through 6 inches of concrete but fail to penetrate thin sheet metal, or grenades that rebound back to the thrower off of thin air. Really guys, you folks making these games have been at this long enough that the only explanation is carelessness in production, I suspect rooted in a rush to market. Expand
  26. Dec 31, 2010
    Black ops is an alright game in my opinion.The new features like wager match were fun and so was
    multiplayer.The singeplayer was Ok there were some twists and turns but i could pretty much
    tell what it was going to be like.I just didnt really like it , it felt the same and im a COD fan.
    I got bored of it in about 2-3 weeks.
  27. Jan 6, 2011
    Do yourself a favor, and don't buy this game. Its just another Call of Duty game that is created to suck our wallets dry, with little to no new upgrades to the series, Multiplayer is just stupid, if you want to play a good FPS just go buy Bad company 2, its better and you can save $40 in the process...
  28. Jan 20, 2011
    A real poor game, since the graphics suck really and the engine is under developed. Really a lack of knowledge of the quake engine and/or lazy developers. I dont recommend this game to anyone, because competetively, this game has no potential! I level 1 lvl per game, too easy..

The only score this game gets, is because there is really thought about the gameplay (weapons, options etc) the outcome just failed
  29. Jan 23, 2011
    It's fun while it lasts, but you'll play it for two weeks and then move on to the next game. Not worth the 60 bucks. This whole idea of the Call of Duty Series becoming a franchise is not looking good.
  30. Nov 24, 2011
    Black ops had it's flaws at launch (pc performance and 5 second pauses).
    I decided to wait and went back to MW2 until these problems were sorted.
    I came back to Black ops finding a very smooth and enjoyable experience, the main issue with lag is users having low powered cpu's as this game taxes the cpu more than your graphics card. I ranked all the way up to 15th prestige and can now
    Black ops had it's flaws at launch (pc performance and 5 second pauses).
    I decided to wait and went back to MW2 until these problems were sorted.
    I ranked all the way up to 15th prestige and can now say that this game is definitly worthy of a blast through.
    It's multiplayer is it's best part for sure as i tend to go straight for multiplayer on these type of games soley.
    I am giving this game an 8 out of 10 due to it's bad start but now without bugs it is a great game for multiplayer gamers.
  31. Dec 20, 2010
    I have had plenty of time to play this game, work with Activision support, Google varying ways to improve in-game performance and now I feel it fair to provide another review. Single Player: After logging over 280 hours of single player time on MW2 I can honestly say I have no desire to ever play this single player again. After roughly 8 hours of dealing with a poor story line andI have had plenty of time to play this game, work with Activision support, Google varying ways to improve in-game performance and now I feel it fair to provide another review. Single Player: After logging over 280 hours of single player time on MW2 I can honestly say I have no desire to ever play this single player again. After roughly 8 hours of dealing with a poor story line and having my control taken away more times than I care to count, I only wish I could get those hours back but sadly it is not possible. Zombies: What 11 year old persuaded you to add this into the COD line? Really? I played about an hours worth and I was not impressed. I was bored and I am sure I will not play it again. Multi-Player: I have logged about 40 hours in Multi-player now and this does not include the 12-14 hours spent working with Activision support and modifying my .cfg file just to make the game playable. [Intel Quad Core - 6gb Ram - ATI Radeon HD 4350/4500-7mbps cable modem]
    In-game movement is spikey and unrealistic. The overall graphics are poor and even worse after I HAD to make changes to be able to play it. The sound is awful as you cannot tell where shots are fired from or hear footsteps well. I installed the game on two additional PC's which were far better than mine hoping it was my set-up. I was surprised when the game performed just as poorly.
    I do like the added wager matches, one in the chamber and the customizable avatar and weapons. Sadly they are all pointless when the game is below par. Activision truly went out of their way to build up the hype of this game to make us believe it was great when in fact it is no where near as good as MW2. I was so excited just knowing it would have dedicated servers so I could get away from all the steam issues and hackers but I find myself playing MW2 instead. I am truly disappointed in the way this game turned out. I feel as though I have been tricked and deceived. If I wanted a game this bad I would have just purchased HALO. Luckily I played it before and learned how bad it was before wasting my money. Overall the greatest PRO I can give is that I am bored with MW2 and have no desire to play Black Ops so I have lots of spare time to be productive and sleep! Thank you Activision as you have lost ALL confidence in me!
    **** Code Central must have received a HUGE donation from Activision to rate this at a 98 and move the Meta score up from 77 to and 82. Anything above a 75 is just political BS and should be ignored!
  32. Nov 17, 2010
    The game is broken. Massive performance problems, Broken server browser, people complaining of lost levelling points, broken friends features. Can not recommend even if u have a decent PC.
  33. Nov 23, 2010
    The single player is the shortest story I've ever played through, clocking in at just under 8 hours at top difficulty. With MP just short of unusable, this game is a complete and total waste of money.
  34. Nov 13, 2010
    Modern Warfare2 was SO much better that releasing this in an insult to COD-players. Bugs, lag, and more bugs. I really don't believe the 'biggest launch ever' crap either. This 'game' is way sub-par.
  35. Nov 11, 2010
    I guess they just had to release this title before the big Christmas sales in order to cash in. This big a problem, being the incredibly laggy and buggy multiplayer AND singleplayer with issues, should have and must have been tracked down and resolved after proper testing. They might fix this fast, and with a proper patch this will be a very entertaining title in both mp and sp, butI guess they just had to release this title before the big Christmas sales in order to cash in. This big a problem, being the incredibly laggy and buggy multiplayer AND singleplayer with issues, should have and must have been tracked down and resolved after proper testing. They might fix this fast, and with a proper patch this will be a very entertaining title in both mp and sp, but Treyarch and Activision (and Steam?) deserve a "Boo!" on another failing opening week, especially on the poor quality of the PC edition. Expand
  36. Nov 11, 2010
    Do not buy this game.

Do not buy this game.

Treyarch again show how bad they are at making games. This is a copy paste of MW2 and WaW and half of the glue didnt even work. What has resulted is a deeply unsatisfying game. There are HUGE technical issues making the game unplayable at release. Footsteps are too quiet, killstreaks are boring, guns and equipment are poorly balanced....there is NO innovation...i mean i remember thinking WaW was a bad WW2 mod of MW2, Black Ops is just a disaster.

The only way this game will be good on PC is it gameservers.com can provide GOOD servers and there is a promod released that can make the game play competitive.
  37. Nov 11, 2010
    I've got a pretty nice PC, but the multiplayer is almost unplayable. Single-player works, but the frame rate is extremely unstable compared to MW2.

How could Treyarch **** this up so badly?
  38. Nov 11, 2010
    WOW...another epic fail...poor server connections...really crappy sound...seriously the ambient sound blends with the active sound (guns and explosions) to the point were it muffles it all...then there is the problem that the software was so unstable when you play online ..either you will crash the game or the server will crash.....wow next time use beta for debug .........ActivisionWOW...another epic fail...poor server connections...really crappy sound...seriously the ambient sound blends with the active sound (guns and explosions) to the point were it muffles it all...then there is the problem that the software was so unstable when you play online ..either you will crash the game or the server will crash.....wow next time use beta for debug .........Activision should just give the game away...because charging for this piece of crap should be theft!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  39. Nov 9, 2010
    So assuming they actually make multi-player playable this game may actually merit a better rating, from what I have managed to play online on our clan server & others there is no "lag" problem its just a really bad programming problem that is hogging almost all of your CPU power. Now I don't have the fastest computer in the world but I should be able to play without FRAME STOPPING everySo assuming they actually make multi-player playable this game may actually merit a better rating, from what I have managed to play online on our clan server & others there is no "lag" problem its just a really bad programming problem that is hogging almost all of your CPU power. Now I don't have the fastest computer in the world but I should be able to play without FRAME STOPPING every 15 seconds! Yes I said frame stopping even my buddies running i7's with the same or better graphics cards do it too.(my thought is the in game theatre is broken and doesn't need to be there its a novel idea at best) Anyway I have not played SP yet, however I am sure it is solid maybe not the best but I am sure it will entertain me. I am just too fed up to even launch the game at this point. Oh and don't even start me on the problems with running a dedicated server or even just supporting the server you paid for.... Expand
  40. Nov 10, 2010
    Multiplayer is far too frustrating due to the terrible lag. I recommend staying away from this game until this is addressed.

Single player is okay, but the AI really blows. Enemies are repetitive and lack any "intelligence"...which just ends up making them feel artificial. I'm basically just entertaining myself with SP until Online play is fixed. Not getting of the reported problem in single player. Gameplay is pretty smooth, with the occasional audio skip during a cutscene.

Had to play BFBC2 because the lag was so terrible. Basically they've released a $60 beta for multiplayer...which is pretty disappointing to say the least. But at the same time, they've probably sold more $60 beta copies in the history of video games...so I can't imagine any of the studios/publishers involved with this game really care....they've just made a huge amount of cash.
  41. Nov 10, 2010
    The game has gained so much expectations because of previous success of the COD series,but I think Black Ops was definitely a major disappointment for me.

The game suffered from very serious graphic lags in both SP and MP on my PC,which can run Modern Warfare 2 at maximum setting without any problem. Even the intro movie and all the video clips between levels lag. In multilayer games, the graphics also lag so bad that I find sniper rifles almost useless. Disabling demo recording might help a little bit, but the lag is still quite an issue.

The sound effects of Black Ops is terrible. In MP games, the weapons sounded like fireworks and the flash bangs make a really weird sound when you throw them.In-game voices sounds very retarded. Sometimes your own footsteps sound like someone walking behind you.The announcements from radio sounded like cheap ass recording too.

MP maps are ridiculously CQB-focused.

In-game texts look so ugly that it looked like some cheap ass rip-off of MW2

When you hit shift to start sprinting,you can't stop sprinting by hitting shift again.You have to stop moving or wait till stamina runs out.

The way characters move are much less realistic than MW2. It made the game seemed like CS.

One tiny but retarded thing is that when you change the resolution,no matter which arrow you click,the resolution will always change in ascending order.

There are also issues with connections as a lot of official servers are very unstable.

The perks have been rearranged into different categories,and the categories didnt make much sense.

The COD point was a good idea and I liked the new modes in wager match. just wish they had it in MW2. After a little while i realized that COD points are just worthless, since they are so easy to earn in ranked games and there's no point of gambling in wager matches at all.

Anyways the above were my major complaints. Overall the gameplay experience is terrible compared to MW2. I'd say its a very average shooter, and because of being overhyped, my score of this game drops from average to bad.

Lastly, the best thing about Black Ops is that it reminded me of how great MW2 is.
  42. Nov 10, 2010
    If you have a high end PC with great graphics cards then stay away from this game. The PC version looks like something from 3-5 years ago even with all settings high even o 1920x1200 or more . The game is based around 5 year old console hardware running in 680x470 resolution. The game doesn't support stuff like eyefinity. I know great graphics doesn't make the game but the graphics is soIf you have a high end PC with great graphics cards then stay away from this game. The PC version looks like something from 3-5 years ago even with all settings high even o 1920x1200 or more . The game is based around 5 year old console hardware running in 680x470 resolution. The game doesn't support stuff like eyefinity. I know great graphics doesn't make the game but the graphics is so bad it gets in the way. it makes BFB2 and MOH MP look fantastic. They not only look better than BlackOps but plays and sounds better too. $60 down the toilet. No idea why most critics love it. I guess it's same as MW2 where critics love it but most end players hate it.â Expand
  43. Nov 11, 2010
    This game actually surprised me a bit. The multiplayer, naturally is about as dull as it gets, even with dedicated server support returning, and if the game was simply based off of that then this game would have been a 0. The only thing I liked was zombies, and the campaign. This campaign is a lot different, and almost feels like a psychological thriller at some parts. However, the biggestThis game actually surprised me a bit. The multiplayer, naturally is about as dull as it gets, even with dedicated server support returning, and if the game was simply based off of that then this game would have been a 0. The only thing I liked was zombies, and the campaign. This campaign is a lot different, and almost feels like a psychological thriller at some parts. However, the biggest issue with the game is the stuttering. Bad programming, and the lack of a true open beta, ended up driving a stake in this game's heart. Even with the best hardware many PC gamers have experienced this. While it's different with everyone, it's clearly a very huge problem and so far there is no way to solve it, although some ways work for a few players, there is no certified fix. This huge bug almost makes the game unplayable. Overall, very disappointing game from Activison, but what else could you expect from the money-hungry developers. Expand
  44. Nov 13, 2010
    Multiplayer is intolerable to say the least.Lag lag, and more lag.Graphics are eeehhh at best.Maps are too damn camper friendly.Treyarch hasn't even acknowleged that there is a problem.I would like my money and Time back.MW2 is hands down the better game.IW is no more, they have reformed under the name respawn. They will be making a new kick butt game.
  45. Dec 23, 2010
    Biggest Dissapointment and Waste of money of the year. On PC this game is UNPLAYABLE. Locks up every 15 - 30 min even on a really good PC. Lags constantly and if you can get a party together to play Nazi Zombies then go buy a Lottery Ticket because you have some incredible luck. Campaign is pretty lacking as well as it was beaten on Veteran in about 10 - 12 Hrs. They really screwed us pcBiggest Dissapointment and Waste of money of the year. On PC this game is UNPLAYABLE. Locks up every 15 - 30 min even on a really good PC. Lags constantly and if you can get a party together to play Nazi Zombies then go buy a Lottery Ticket because you have some incredible luck. Campaign is pretty lacking as well as it was beaten on Veteran in about 10 - 12 Hrs. They really screwed us pc gamers over pretty big time with this because if it was a console version we could at least get half our money back by selling it. No such luck here. Just an expensive paperweight. I have had betas that ran and looked better than this game does in its Retail version. Thanks for being another company that dumps on the end user. I will not be buying any future games from Treyarch and I suggest that you take your money and buy games from other developers that continue to fix things after a games release and not just twiiter about meaningless crap. Expand
  46. Nov 13, 2010
    First: DO NOT READ THE METASCORE BY CRITICS IT IS BASED ON 360 AND PS3 RELEASE.

Let me tell you a story about a company called Treyarch, they promised the PC-Gamer community all the support and even more for their PC version of Call Of Duty Black Ops. Now turn the clock back to today's date, they have not been keeping their promise at all. The game has major issues in preformance both in
    First: DO NOT READ THE METASCORE BY CRITICS IT IS BASED ON 360 AND PS3 RELEASE.

The game has major issues in preformance both in Single-player and Multi-player. Framerate drops and lag-spikes fly all over the place. Now I do know issues can arise as PC's are different, but stuff like this SHOULD be catched by the QA team if they even had any.

While we are at it, the so-called Community Manager, does not inform the Community about anything, and uses his day to brag about placing this and that on Zombie-mod, whilst the lead designer even have the nerve to say that the issues PC-Gamers have at the moment are but of small grain of the community.

Do yourself a favor and stay away from this product and any other Treyarch project in the future, the costumer support is horrendous and you will not even be informed when everything goes wrong
  47. Nov 13, 2010
    activision must be hiring a lot of whores for these professional game critics.
    just look at the discrepancy! and even metacritic is tooting their horn by prominently displaying only that score. man, another 60 down the drain. i shoulda waited for the torrent to finish.
  48. Dec 19, 2010
    If you are a fan of infinity wards COD games i recommend you avoid this game, it just missing so much and has more in common it seems with Modern warfare 1 then 2, The spawn system in multilayer is horrible, you will die a lot from being shot in the back by an enemy who spawns right behind you after you take a few steps. After playing the great games made by the creators of call of dutyIf you are a fan of infinity wards COD games i recommend you avoid this game, it just missing so much and has more in common it seems with Modern warfare 1 then 2, The spawn system in multilayer is horrible, you will die a lot from being shot in the back by an enemy who spawns right behind you after you take a few steps. After playing the great games made by the creators of call of duty (infinity ward) this game is just a huge let down to me. This is an indication to me that this will be another game series that Activision will drive into the ground because they want to shoot one out every year to make the most money out of the series like they did with the tony hawk series and what there doing with guitar hero series. The single player is alright, its pretty much like a Michael Bay movie, lots of explosions. If you liked modern warfare 2 I would recommend not getting this game, you will be let down, like i was. Expand
  49. Nov 16, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This title is copping some seriously jaded uses reviews. But I hope this honest opinion may help the decision, whether to purchase this title.

Multiplayer: If you've played a COD title in the past. You'll find the same formula here. It hasn't change much at all. Yes there were issues at initial release. But Treyarch have as always been ready to listen to concerns. And do what they can to rectify them. The wager modes of gameplay are nice. Good to see the borrowing them from other titles ie: CS and Quake etc...
    Theatre mode looks to be a nice addition. Although still in BETA.
    Coop: Zombies are back
    Singleplayer: Probably the only thorn in this titles side, for me. Was the total lack of authenticity in equipment used in it. This game spans from 1961-68, with a memory sequence in 1945. Sadly most of the weapons in it are not 60's era related. Many of which didn't go into production til the late 1970's. But it's a personal thing. That I admired about the franchise. Other than that, it's a sci-fi feel game(especially with the mini-gun sequence like in PREDATOR. If your looking for more of the same COD multiplayer your used to. Or a member of a Gamerclan then I'd suggest it. But make sure you can return it if you change your mind
  50. Nov 11, 2010
    Another pathetic money grab from activision. There's nothing innovative or fun about this version don't bother. Why on earth wasn't infinity ward used on this version? Treyarch is terrible. Remember when they released World At War?
  51. Nov 13, 2010
    PC users have been left in the cold with a game that is entirely broken. Treyarch has failed on its promises to the community and should be ashamed that this game was released in its current state. An all around good game is crippled by technical issues that render the game unplayable. Even worse, the recently released "patch" does nothing to correct these issues. I believe that peoplePC users have been left in the cold with a game that is entirely broken. Treyarch has failed on its promises to the community and should be ashamed that this game was released in its current state. An all around good game is crippled by technical issues that render the game unplayable. Even worse, the recently released "patch" does nothing to correct these issues. I believe that people wanted to give Treyarch the benefit of the doubt, hoping they could keep the Call of Duty franchise alive even after the downfall of Infinity Ward. For now, things aren't looking too good. Expand
  52. Nov 29, 2010
    I have heard good things about this game, from xbox users, and mostly bad from PC users, for me the single player is completely unplayable, the menu stutters, and skips, and gameplay is worse with freezing, etc. They have managed to make the multi player somewhat playable, which does not make sense to me, if they are the same game, same engine. If I start the MP, and then upon entering aI have heard good things about this game, from xbox users, and mostly bad from PC users, for me the single player is completely unplayable, the menu stutters, and skips, and gameplay is worse with freezing, etc. They have managed to make the multi player somewhat playable, which does not make sense to me, if they are the same game, same engine. If I start the MP, and then upon entering a match, bring us the console, and enter several commands, I can play it for the most part. Dealing with lag spikes, and game stutters. The graphics are not on par with previous COD titles, from Infinity Ward that is, it looks exactly like World At War, which did NOT look as good as MW2, or even MW. The audio is horrendous, the repeating sound loops for background noises stutter so badly that I want to leave the match just to not hear it. The MP gameplay is somewhat solid, a very neat idea with the COD points/money to buy upgrades with, and the custom emblems are neat. Then...traditional rank up to unlock doesn't really apply in this game, anyone can buy anything (mostly) rank is almost meaningless. I managed to make it to Captain in less than 8 hours of gaming, that seems way too quick to me. Then there are the numerous game bugs, not being able to shoot through railings, the ridiculous 10 yard knife lunges, the terrible spawn system, and one thing that I really liked in the game trailer, the remote control car, in the game, is a real pain in the ass. I can't really write a review of the single player experience because I truly can't play it at all, and the worst part is, none of the companies responsible for this train wreck will acknowledge the problems, or let us know what is being done about any of them, so I would for one would really like to have my money back on this one. Collapse
  53. Dec 12, 2010
    While the singleplayer provides some rather limited amount of fun, the multiplayer, which has always been the main selling point of the series, is broken beyond belief across a wide range of computer configurations, from minimum reqs to cutting edge hardware. The multiplayer component is plagued by bugs ranging from hideously bad performance, to impenetrable transparent surfaces, to brokenWhile the singleplayer provides some rather limited amount of fun, the multiplayer, which has always been the main selling point of the series, is broken beyond belief across a wide range of computer configurations, from minimum reqs to cutting edge hardware. The multiplayer component is plagued by bugs ranging from hideously bad performance, to impenetrable transparent surfaces, to broken killcam mechanics, to truly hilarious hit detection for sniper rifles.

Considering the price of the game, the content offered, its quality and the complete lack of interest in the PC community on part of the developing studio, the bottomline is quite simple - do not buy this game.
  54. Ed1
    Dec 12, 2010
    This game suffers from severe stuttering both in single and multiplayer. Aiming is therefore very hard and very frustrating, especially since we're talking about a 60 euro well-hyped game (reducing graphical options does not help, and for the record, my computer runs many other current games just fine).

On the other hand I like the single player story and the Zombie mode. It's clear that the developers did try to make a great game, but they failed.

I have returned my copy and got a refund.
  55. Dec 16, 2010
    After playing through the whole game, I got pretty tired of the tension in the voices between characters, the exceptionally long and unnecessary cut scenes and the inability to save games mid-way through playing them. Although flying helicopters was fun.
  56. Jan 27, 2011
    This game has been in a Beta phase of development since it's release. The only problem with that is THAT YOU HAVE TO PAY $100 FOR IT.
    With incredibly frustrating spawns, maps which basically nulify the nessecty of sniper rifles and a very frustrating DRM system which they call "dedicated servers". Do not get this game, the critics must have been paid for their reviews by Activision, this game is a badly ported Xbox game that they didn't even bother testing before they released it on PC.

So now they have fixed a couple of the spawning bugs, a couple of the lag issues (not all of either) and now they expect us to pay another $15 for a couple of extra maps which will probably bring about a whole other bunch of issues; such as splitting the community in two, and what will happen with the servers? Will THEY have to pay extra for the new maps? Time will tell, but basing my assumptions on the problems/solutions that have presented themselves thus far; it will not be getting much better.
  57. Apr 17, 2011
    I used to be a great fan of the COD series, but however, even though the first few games where great titles, activision now just spits one out year after year as fast as they can to make profits, the overall gameplay hasnt changed much after an almost decade of the series, with insignificant things like zombies and currency thrown in every few titles to try to keep it fresh, Black opsI used to be a great fan of the COD series, but however, even though the first few games where great titles, activision now just spits one out year after year as fast as they can to make profits, the overall gameplay hasnt changed much after an almost decade of the series, with insignificant things like zombies and currency thrown in every few titles to try to keep it fresh, Black ops itself has a short singleplayer with a more or less confusing story, and multiplayer gets boring extremely fast, I am now looking forward to the battlefield series where innovation and gameplay is key Expand
  58. May 8, 2011
    One of the most balanced Call of Duty games to date. The single player is great, the Zombie Co-Op is a masterpiece within the zombie games and the multiplayer is balanced. Although some weapons seem overpowered, Treyarch has done a great job increasing the player's health so we can counter-act the so-called "overpowered weapons" in time. Treyarch does our job by patching for performanceOne of the most balanced Call of Duty games to date. The single player is great, the Zombie Co-Op is a masterpiece within the zombie games and the multiplayer is balanced. Although some weapons seem overpowered, Treyarch has done a great job increasing the player's health so we can counter-act the so-called "overpowered weapons" in time. Treyarch does our job by patching for performance issues to low-rigged computers, nerfing the weapons to become pretty balanced and preparing us mod tools to May. The dedicated servers has turned the tables from the failing Modern Warfare 2. Probably the second best CoD game, second only to the masterpiece CoD4, Call of Duty: Black Ops will blow you away once you get the hang of it. It probably won't be a classic, but it's a nice comeback to the CoD series from Treyarch. I probably won't going to get any other Call of Duty due to ActiVision's abuse on fans, but what I'm certain is that Treyarch gave me the closing chapter above my expectations to my CoD gaming history. 9.5 out of 10 Expand
  59. Jul 26, 2011
    The game isn't fitted to be called "Call Of Duty." Almost every mission is all about Americans, which is unlikely in the COD franchise. The singleplayer campaign is short, and two of its mission is unplayable.

Forget about the multiplayer and zombies, the game lacks too many anticipation. And I class it more as a sci-fi game because of the whole Nova-6 conspiracy, which completely unlikely in the franchise all based to be realistic warfare.
  60. Aug 27, 2011
    The single player campaign is mediocre and multiplayer is repetitious and boring. Where Black Ops really pays of is in the zombie experience. Nothing in more fun that jumping online and slaying zombies with some friends.
  61. Nov 14, 2011
    I have been playing this game for a good year now ,While playing 1 player which was ok but very forgetable, i stuck with online multiplayer , I can safely say this is where my good money was spent , ffa on nuke town , Ive got my moneys worth here alone :) Excellent map !!
    The hit detection can sometimes be a bit ropey but you get your good and bad games where pings go up and down .
    I
    I still play it now , but it seems if most are the players are deserting black ops , which is a shame .
    Anywaysa good game while it lasted .8/10
    The game loses a few points because theres not much new here from previous cod,s + hit detection sometimes lets the game down online.
  62. Nov 11, 2010
    The game simply lacks fun. The singleplayer story is told through cutscenes. The only part you get in the game is playing with broken A.I's. Outdated graphics, and boring storyline.

With the multiplayer, despite the obvious lies and bugs, it is overrated. A basic game with small maps and a few guns. With the exception of a few graphical customizations which don't change the game play at

With the multiplayer, despite the obvious lies and bugs, it is overrated.
    A basic game with small maps and a few guns. With the exception of a few graphical customizations which don't change the game play at all.

Wager matches would have been fun, if you could bet a decent amount and if cod points were useful in anything other than a new background for your playercard.

With the zombie mode, you would be better off buying Left For Dead 2. The only reason it was added was to boost sales.
  63. Nov 11, 2010
    Lag in MP, slow performance, boring scripted SP, Steam exculsive, no LAN, no REAL DEDICATED SERVERS, nothing new expect the maps, lots of kids screaming around, I don't like this.

Game should not be released unfinished and without beta testing for the balance. This is sh*t.
  64. Nov 10, 2010
    This is a terribly make over of what I felt was a good game. In nearly every aspect the once good franchise has been beaten. From the menus to the new voice overs it feels as if they were cheap and hurried for the sake of remaking them. Every aspect of this game was taken in and crapped all over an attempt to fake originality. The level system is still there, but now you have to buy thingsThis is a terribly make over of what I felt was a good game. In nearly every aspect the once good franchise has been beaten. From the menus to the new voice overs it feels as if they were cheap and hurried for the sake of remaking them. Every aspect of this game was taken in and crapped all over an attempt to fake originality. The level system is still there, but now you have to buy things too. It's added complexity for no real benefit. Way to go... Expand
  65. Nov 11, 2010
    Terrible game. Activsion needs slapped. First day = everyone using mp5k. Doesnt matter if you fire first because the lag kills you. The gun is OP. Whats with everyone having commando..come on you removed the perk instead you gave the ability to everyone by default! :(
  66. Nov 11, 2010
    I don't understand why they have to change a system that's been working fine for 10+ years.Don't mind then putting steam in place so people don't crack the game.But why cant it just work like Counter-Strike servers.I know the rating should be about the single player. But 80% of games today buy a game for the MP , when is there going to be an critic rating on online game play!!!! The gameI don't understand why they have to change a system that's been working fine for 10+ years.Don't mind then putting steam in place so people don't crack the game.But why cant it just work like Counter-Strike servers.I know the rating should be about the single player. But 80% of games today buy a game for the MP , when is there going to be an critic rating on online game play!!!! The game is completely unplayable.So disappointing.I should have learned my lesion with Modern Warfare 2. I'll never buy a Cod game again. They really ruined their own brand with 2 really shocking releases in a row. Expand
  67. Nov 11, 2010
    OK...Just OK

OK...Just OK

Maps are too deep and opponents disappear into the scenery. This makes for a boring camper heaven. I have played 100 games maybe half reach the max score as most of the players are just hiding. Very "glitchy" hard to aim or see the already impossibly tough to see hidden campers. Did Treyarch not learn anything from Infinity Ward? In MW2, at distance the opponents were not microscopic, they were big enough to still have a gunfight.
  68. Nov 11, 2010
    Released way too early, or they had lousy testing and quality assurance. There are too many bugs to make this game enjoyable, unless you're playing the campaign on a quad core with this year's video cards.

Nazi Zombies lobbies crash all the time when people leave. Lobby leaderboard filter doesn't default to "Lobby". You can't change the filter directly on the lobby page -- sub-dialogs are annoying! The flashing explosions and lights video plays every single time the lobby crashes. Every. single. time. Spawning in multiplayer is ridiculous. You spawn, then you move, and an enemy spawns where you just were and shoots you in the back, especially on the smaller maps. Nuketown is an awesome concept, but it's too small!
  69. Nov 11, 2010
    I regret ever hearing about this game, so badly the overall lack of quality strikes at me. I'm hugely disappointed in the single player, which is just a bad action movie on triple speed. The story is non-existent, audio badly worked, the engine is buggy, maps very railroaded and scripted, bad playability and just not fun in any way. I won't even bother to try the multiplayer, being awareI regret ever hearing about this game, so badly the overall lack of quality strikes at me. I'm hugely disappointed in the single player, which is just a bad action movie on triple speed. The story is non-existent, audio badly worked, the engine is buggy, maps very railroaded and scripted, bad playability and just not fun in any way. I won't even bother to try the multiplayer, being aware of the issues. I wish I had saved my self from the disappointment. Expand
  70. Nov 11, 2010
    I own every COD game. I can say without a doubt that this is the most inexcusably awful COD game ever released, including the very disappointing MW2. Treyarch willfully released a broken PC game while at the same time shamelessly trumpeting their dedication to creating a proper PC FPS. Treyarch failed to perform seemingly rudimentary QA and fixes to this abomination of a game. This gameI own every COD game. I can say without a doubt that this is the most inexcusably awful COD game ever released, including the very disappointing MW2. Treyarch willfully released a broken PC game while at the same time shamelessly trumpeting their dedication to creating a proper PC FPS. Treyarch failed to perform seemingly rudimentary QA and fixes to this abomination of a game. This game is an embarrassment to Treyarch and Activision, an insult to PC gamers, and a waste of my money. And- as usual, the paid game review rags appear shamelessly oblivious to the obvious shortcomings of this awful game. Expand
  71. Jan 21, 2011
    This is my first review for a game. I am so frustrated with Black Ops that I felt compelled to write something. I am not giving it a 0 because the game is playable, and that's about all you can do. Enjoying and having fun with this game is, for me, not possible. Where do I start?
    Single player is ugly. There's barely a storyline, and the flashback missions are NOT appealing. Graphics are horrendous. How can you justify releasing a new game in a series that has WORSE graphics than its predecessor? The scenery and player models are, for a lack of a better word, poop, even at the highest graphics settings. Sound? Ha! Multiplayer? Well. The guns do practically no damage. You are forced to play hardcore if you don't want to spend your entire gun clip on one or two enemies, and I'm not that bad at FPS games. I have played CS, CSS, COD MW1, MW2, COD 1, 2, 3, Farcry 1 and 2, and finally and sadly, this game. I can say with confidence that I'm not a noob :) In short, the bullet registry is nonexistent. I have a very good connection, so I can't complain too much about the connection lag, but honestly! Spike lags are almost to be expected. Technical issues? Where do I begin? Game crashes so often it's not even funny. I can run Crysis, Dragon Age Origins, and Civilizations V at max settings and I experience absolutely no lag or crashes. When I am bored enough to play this game, I crash about twice an hour. AT LEAST. Single player glitches are rampant. Completely over-rated and massively marketed PoS!
    I get upset every time I look on my list of Steam games and remember that I paid $60 for it.
  72. Nov 12, 2010
    One word: Abysmal. Let's get one thing straight right off the bat; this is no successor to Modern Warfare 2. It's more like a cheap knockoff. Despite all the hype, BO is just another mediocre shooter marred by game-breaking issues. The PC release is unplayable, with famerate lags and jumps. Graphics are sub-par for a 2010 game. Textures are low-quality, graphics are flat and lifeless, theOne word: Abysmal. Let's get one thing straight right off the bat; this is no successor to Modern Warfare 2. It's more like a cheap knockoff. Despite all the hype, BO is just another mediocre shooter marred by game-breaking issues. The PC release is unplayable, with famerate lags and jumps. Graphics are sub-par for a 2010 game. Textures are low-quality, graphics are flat and lifeless, the smoke grenades are a joke, and it looks like a game from four of five years ago. It can't even compete with stuff like Unreal Tournament 3. The sound is equally lifeless and uninspiring. Gun sounds are flat, weak and tinny. Directionally positioned footsteps seem to be broken. Very little will give your subwoofer much of a workout. Guns pretty much all feel the same and lack character. There are several other issues that are annoying. For instance, you can't adjust your class in between matches. There are several good ideas implemented in the game, like the economy system, lots of unlocks, wager matches and more gun customization then previous COD games but they don't make up for the unpolished final product. Overall it's a huge disappointment. Don't believe the hype, this won't dethrone Modern Warfare 2 or raise the bar of First Person Shooters. Even if the glaring performance issues are eventually patched, under the hood this is a sub-par game the lacks the finesse of previous titles in the series. Expand
  73. Nov 13, 2010
    The developers don't care for this version at all. Usually, the PC version of a game is this version, but Treyarch failed at that. Definitely a do-not-buy.
  74. Nov 10, 2010
    Very laggy online as others have said. Just not very much fun multiplayer. Maps are small. Haven't played single-player yet, but if it's anything like the multiplayer, I wish I hadn't bought it through Steam so I could get a refund.
  75. Nov 11, 2010
    I don't want waste my money on this creepy peace of code. Fps freezing all the time. Foolish storyline and bugging multilayer. Even Moh looks better...
  76. Nov 12, 2010
    If you are going to buy this game, remember something. When Starcraft 2 came out it costed the same money and it offered you a great lasting campaign and a level WCG multiplayer. When Civilization V came out it costed the same and it offered you insane depth and game mechanics out of this world.

Now, this piece right here, costs EXACTLY the same, offering you HEADACHE, FRUSTRATION and a free dictionary of all the F*** words you know. Wanna buy it? Be my guest. Why dont you pay G. Newell more money, he cannot get enough to become a billionaire. ON YOUR TAB.
  77. Nov 10, 2010
    I can't believe that after all the wait and the pre-loading on steam this thing runs like a slide show. It's completely unacceptable to have a $60 game be this **** on the PC. On top of that the action is ridiculously linear, the AI is terrible, the vehicle missions are a joke. You might as well take 60 bucks and give it to a homeless dude to go punch treyarch on the balls.
  78. Nov 12, 2010
    Utter crap game. Writing a lengthy review of all the fails in this game would be a massive waste of time. Despite the unplayable MP part, who wrote the SP story of this game? Dolph Lundgren? Stephen Seagal? Uwe Boll?
  79. Nov 13, 2010
    I find it unbelievable that they didn't even start the final release candidate for the game. Which i think (but can't be sure about) would make the problems obvious in less than five minutes. Or they did that and decided that it would be more convenient for them to release on time and fix it later (ignoring how bad impression this would cause to the early adopters). The game is at theI find it unbelievable that they didn't even start the final release candidate for the game. Which i think (but can't be sure about) would make the problems obvious in less than five minutes. Or they did that and decided that it would be more convenient for them to release on time and fix it later (ignoring how bad impression this would cause to the early adopters). The game is at the moment unplayable. Expand
  80. Nov 13, 2010
    Zombie mod is not working, it says session no longer available. Multiplayer was ok, lagged a little but otherwise was ok. UNTIL IT WORKED. Now it just keeps saying connecting but nothing happens. I can't believe I payed for this crap. Should have learned my lesson from MW2.
  81. Nov 15, 2010
    This game is just plain bad. The multiplayer is beyond laggy, to the point where the lowest ping wins. It appears the only graphics they've updated are smoke effects. The single player mode is not very fun, and the game is severely unbalanced. Modern Warfare 2 is better than this. This game is worth no more than $15. I strongly recommend you do not buy this game, it truly is a waste of money.
  82. Nov 24, 2010
    It's pretty obvious why Activision flew most reviewers to a Hotel in Europe to play the game: because using a real world Internet connection, the game is unplayable. The lag is shocking, and the hit detection is garbage. Needs a major patch.

The real disappointment for me was the single-player though - not only was it buggy, it was poorly-paced, and a blatant rip-off of the Manchurian candidate. One of the things Infinity Ward does well is keeping you in the action. Treyarch kept tearing away player control for no valid reason.

And what was with Sam Worthington's accent? I'm Australian and I found it grating. Why didn't they do additional takes?

Good sound track though.
  83. Nov 11, 2010
    They promised dedicated servers but what they didn't tell us is that only 1 company without the infrastructure to handle this task would be doing it, so now all it is, is a console tittle in disguise.
    i enjoyed the MOH beta more then Black ops full release. @#$% this game.
  84. Nov 13, 2010
    60 euros for a game like this lol. how can all these official reviews be so wrong? maybe because they are on the take. poor performance on old engine
    poor mp
    6 hour sp game
    =
    fail
  85. Nov 13, 2010
    It is simple: do not buy this game until Treyarch fixes the gross technical errors that were overlooked in their testing process.

As of now, you will only be spending your money on the single player component. The multiplayer server browser and friend support is completely broken, and the ranked servers frequently get glitched to the point of where your stats are not saved and wager/ranked matches can not be joined.

It is simply an incomplete product, and false advertising on the part of Activision/Treyarch to say that this game has anything other than a mediocre single player component. It is a shame that game review websites have even considered giving this game good reviews.

It is Modern Warfare: 2 with a different set of skins and more bugs.
  86. Sep 4, 2011
    I love this game! To honest, the single player does get boring, and its more practice than anything. And the multiplayer is full of high level opponents, so its hard to jump right in. But I noticed that not a single review under 5 even mention the nazi zombies section. This is the reason I bought the game, and the reason I play it. If cod black ops came out and it was only the zombiesI love this game! To honest, the single player does get boring, and its more practice than anything. And the multiplayer is full of high level opponents, so its hard to jump right in. But I noticed that not a single review under 5 even mention the nazi zombies section. This is the reason I bought the game, and the reason I play it. If cod black ops came out and it was only the zombies section, i would buy it, because it is extremely entertaining. If you want something fun, buy it, as the multiplayer is good once you're used to it, and the zombies mode is super fun. Expand
  87. Dec 13, 2011
    Not a bad game. Don't care for the limited dedi servers, but hey at least they are there and ranked. The game play in MP is fun. Graphics are old. Let's get real here folks...The CoD as we know it is gone. Play MW3 and this game shines all the more...
  88. Nov 11, 2010
    This looks as thoe it could be a great game, the levels look gorgeous, but everything is so choppy and stuttery even on a high end pc....they just need to sort out the pc version and fast...! its just disgusting how they have let this version out after having a year of testing it....Hopefully there is a patch very soon.... :(
  89. Nov 11, 2010
    Basically the same SP as we are watching for the last 7 years.
    No story that you would feel for characters and narrow straight ahead 'shoot em all and plant a c4 here and there'.
    Basically the same SP as we are watching for the last 7 years.
    Basically the same graphics as we watch for last 7 years. Turning on bump, reflection and opacity levels for me is not a progress in graphics.. No dx10/11 in 2011?? and no destruction model??? Mp playing on a very solid machine on 5-30fps? Are you kidding me? And you want money for this?

Please dudes at activison, take a copy of Bc2 and play it and think your position in gaming industry. Yeah you might say we are the best in recycling the same god damn thing and making billions, we are the champions, but is there no spark in you to create something that whole gaming world would just say wow, omg this is something out of this world, I can easily pay even 100$ for this?
  90. Nov 11, 2010
    A money grab that doesn't do anything more than the last billion versions of Call of Duty. They are all playable games in their own right but that doesn't mean you should buy every new rehash of the same game. It's just like Madden, they are all identical...
  91. Nov 12, 2010
    Another fine example when the critics got it wrong and while genuine good games with original ideas get stuck with scores of 70 or less this poor copy paste of MW2 got an unbelievable 90+ , game is buggy and just not fun to play online or single player. While other COD games leaves an impression many hours after you turn off your PC, I almost forgot that i had this game Installed ,it'sAnother fine example when the critics got it wrong and while genuine good games with original ideas get stuck with scores of 70 or less this poor copy paste of MW2 got an unbelievable 90+ , game is buggy and just not fun to play online or single player. While other COD games leaves an impression many hours after you turn off your PC, I almost forgot that i had this game Installed ,it's that boring.While single player is at best average, multiplayer gameplay is just without any mojo if you manage to ignore the bugs first.

Bring back Infinity Ward and save the genre or it'll be another MOH type series.( 7 bad, 1 good release)
  92. Nov 9, 2010
    Single player in this game is truly horrible. The storyline looks like it was written by someone who was consuming LSD in large quantities by watching Rambo 3, Red Heat, and other similar trash action movies. Maps are badly designed, and railroaded even worse than they were in MW2. Graphics is dated even on highest settings. Overall gameplay is like MW2, except even more repetitive andSingle player in this game is truly horrible. The storyline looks like it was written by someone who was consuming LSD in large quantities by watching Rambo 3, Red Heat, and other similar trash action movies. Maps are badly designed, and railroaded even worse than they were in MW2. Graphics is dated even on highest settings. Overall gameplay is like MW2, except even more repetitive and boring.

Don't even get me started on a handheld (!) minigun (!!) in a Soviet labor camp (!!!); flamethrower-wielding Viet Kong; and M4 carbine and ACOG sights in the hands of US troops in Nam. At least the previous installations tried to maintain some semblance of sanity... Oh, and guys? Can you please hire a couple Russians to do the voice-over next time? Whoever did it for this game, it sounds like the worst moments of Red Heat. For starters, It's VorkutA, not VorkUta, and the rest of it is way worse than that.
  93. Nov 11, 2010
    Graphics sucks, game play sucks. The graphics looks like a dx8/9 title from the late 90s, the game play and mechanics as well. Take a close look at the gaming sites that raved about this game (such as GameSpot) and remember their names since they sold you out.
  94. Nov 15, 2010
    @ smith, Comparing WaW to MW2 is complete **** There was much less problems with WaW than MW2, and even asking why Infinity Ward did not make Black Ops is a no-brainer; 2 lead executives were fired from IW then over 20 people left to work for EA at the new studio that the executives went to. Do you really want a IW to make Black ops when there is no one left?? All you people who love IW@ smith, Comparing WaW to MW2 is complete **** There was much less problems with WaW than MW2, and even asking why Infinity Ward did not make Black Ops is a no-brainer; 2 lead executives were fired from IW then over 20 people left to work for EA at the new studio that the executives went to. Do you really want a IW to make Black ops when there is no one left?? All you people who love IW are idiots, go figure out what your talking about before posting. Expand
  95. Nov 11, 2010
    I did not have the lag other users have suffered. Game played great on my system. However, it seems all Activision is doing is beating an already dead cash cow for whatever milk's left. The story was a psychological thriller and that seemed fine but the graphics do look dated and I agree with the previous poster who mentioned weapon recoil. What were the devs thinking?? I can shoulder fireI did not have the lag other users have suffered. Game played great on my system. However, it seems all Activision is doing is beating an already dead cash cow for whatever milk's left. The story was a psychological thriller and that seemed fine but the graphics do look dated and I agree with the previous poster who mentioned weapon recoil. What were the devs thinking?? I can shoulder fire an MG and spray out 7.62 ammo with close to minimal recoil? anyone who's fired one in real life can tell you that is utter BS. It take a crap load of trigger discipline to even maintain your sights on your target.

MOH lags on my high end system and has way more bugs, but I actually found it more refreshing and the weapons being more believable. I can't even believe I'm endorsing an EA game. But CoD:BO here just seemed a sad hackneyed rehash of the same old tried and true formula without any improvements whatsoever, and I have been playing CoD since its humble first release.
  96. Nov 11, 2010
    I bought this game more for the multiplayer than anything else. All of the previous and trailers showed some real promise for a great multiplayer experience. What a disappointment. All of those great ideas ruined by terrible implementation and what appears to be a complete lack of beta-testing on the PC. This game is completely unplayable on the PC. Given the chance to do it over, II bought this game more for the multiplayer than anything else. All of the previous and trailers showed some real promise for a great multiplayer experience. What a disappointment. All of those great ideas ruined by terrible implementation and what appears to be a complete lack of beta-testing on the PC. This game is completely unplayable on the PC. Given the chance to do it over, I wouldn't waste my money on it. Save your money. Play something else this season. Expand
  97. Nov 8, 2011
    Well, uh, I had the privilege from good old steam to play "Call of Duty: Black Ops" multiplayer until to Saturday of that week. So I gave it a try, and it wasn't so bad after all. The sound designs are impressive as well as the currency system, which makes you more immersive to the game. Sure, the graphics are kinda outdated but think about COD:WAW and compare this to it. Feels better,Well, uh, I had the privilege from good old steam to play "Call of Duty: Black Ops" multiplayer until to Saturday of that week. So I gave it a try, and it wasn't so bad after all. The sound designs are impressive as well as the currency system, which makes you more immersive to the game. Sure, the graphics are kinda outdated but think about COD:WAW and compare this to it. Feels better, doesn't it? Overall very well made, enjoyable, and addictive. Just find some healthy servers and this game will be the masterpiece of your life. Expand
  98. Nov 11, 2011
    Not sure why the score for this is so low. I'm guessing because many of these reviews were done when the game was launched, which I heard was unplayable then. Luckily, I played this game after everything was sorted out, so I have no major issues with bugs/glitches. This version of CoD is much, MUCH better than MW3 on PC. Ranked dedicated servers? Check. Adjustable FOV? Check. DevNot sure why the score for this is so low. I'm guessing because many of these reviews were done when the game was launched, which I heard was unplayable then. Luckily, I played this game after everything was sorted out, so I have no major issues with bugs/glitches. This version of CoD is much, MUCH better than MW3 on PC. Ranked dedicated servers? Check. Adjustable FOV? Check. Dev console? Check! Now I know the engine on this game is a bit dated, but it works well and the game plays very smoothly. Maybe it's just massive lag from P2P garbage, but MW3 is not nearly as smooth or polished-feeling as BO is. The maps are on BO are a good size, and have a good balance of CQB and more open areas. MW3's maps just feel so claustrophobic in comparison. The unlock system is, in my opinion, much better than MW3 (which is also very similar to BF3). Acquiring currency and buying the weapons/equip./killstreaks that you actually want is much better. Not only do you get the gear you want quicker, it's more satisfying to "buy" something you want than just to "unlock" it. The SP campaign is pretty good, and is up there with MW2's campaign, which I really enjoyed. Although there are PC specific options in the game (ded. servers, fov, etc.), it's still an obvious console port. Also, because it is a dx9 game, it has much worse performance in Vista/7 than in XP - you can find many threads on this. Overall though, I really enjoyed BO, and with MW3 being an epic fail, I will probably play BO for much longer. Expand
  99. Nov 12, 2010
    PROS:
    - lots of new content added for MP CONS:
    PROS:
    - lots of new content added for MP CONS:
    - story is for kids under 14 - one of the worst graphics of the history of video gaming ever created, period (and I got a good and fast PC) - textures, shadows+lights (in and outdoor) are failing very very badly, must be made by a complete beginner. - geometry of the surrounding reminds me of the playstation 2 times (in fact, I just checked and Black looks much greater tbh.) - worst scripting ever combined with the most stupid AI a programmer may come up with. (this includes things like teammate standing and waiting for you next to 3 NME solder while those solders do nothing about him, or teammates yelling about incoming tanks after all tanks are eliminated minutes ago, etc, etc got about a zillion examples) - sounds are from a average SNES shooter game (they must be!), some1 fires a shotgun next to your ears, and you hear a sneaky fart.
    - etc -etc -et................. the bottom line: its a cheap bad fps, and not a CALL OF DUTY game ------------------ To the devs: so many days of hard work, but why not spend your time and money on a worthy game? please give all the money back now!

To everybody else: never trust game reviewing sites, and never buy a game without a trailer showing actual gameplay
  100. Nov 29, 2010

1. Jan 29, 2011
    Its duffer solo moments are masked by imaginative and visual whizz-band-fizz. [Jan 2011, p.100]
  2. Jan 26, 2011
    This score will likely come as a shock to many, but this game suffers from pathetic frame rates at times, both on console and on PC.
  3. Jan 12, 2011
    Black Ops is one of the best first person shooters this year, and is a obviously must have for any action fan. Intense, gory and quite brilliant, maybe it's not refreshing but at the same time its a stunning game.