Call of Duty: Black Ops PC

5.2

1. Nov 11, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To experience the game at quality graphics you will probably need to build a new computer, with the most current graphics and audio card. My Duo-core 2 Ghz processor and GeForce GTX 465 had just the bare minimum to play the game in Lowest-setting graphics at somewhat choppy 40 fps. Trying to play the game in Normal settings made the game stutter and unplayable. Even at lowest graphic settings I still experienced occasional stuttering in some heavy scenes. I also experienced stuttering audio about every 5 seconds during the movie sequences, but I was using USB headphones so it is forgivable. I can't help but feel that the coding is somehow off for the PC version, given that the quality of the graphics comes at such a huge cost. Yes, the things like motion capture and such are revolutionary, yet I feel the implementation was done with a sledgehammer instead of with a precision instrument. The game is very taxing on absolutely everything, perhaps the coding was inefficient in general?

*possible spoilers*

The game plot was interesting and I did enjoy the story. Towards the end, however the plot quickly comes to its end leaving you wondering and perhaps wishing for a bit more. Ethically, I had a small problem with how some of the criminal masterminds seemed to get off easy considering their war crimes. Take for instance, one scene where you see an innocent victim experience a gruesome death after being exposed to Nova-6 gas. You see him die a slow painful death- his skin boils off, his eyes pop out of his head, and he's throwing up screaming in agony. Later, there you hear someone acknowledge that they tested the stuff on newborn babies. The criminal mastermind responsible for this heinous act gets off way too easy in comparison, with such a relatively quick and painless death that it's almost an injustice to the plot. I would have liked to seen at least the Lead Scientist behind it all 'accidentally' have his gasmask come off in a room full of Nova-6. Character development I would give a D-, it could have been better. The hero NPC's have a predictable bio that you've probably seen in movies many times over. Pretty much zero character development on them, you don't even know their histories just that they are on the same team. Relavetively little character to character dialogue on a personal level, 100% of the talking is mission oriented. If you see a comrade die, you feel very little for them other than the fact you now have one less gun watching your six. I did find it interesting that much of the dialogue in the foriegn (Non-English speaking) NPC's was conviently in English. Take for example a part of the game where 2 Russian prisoners speak to eachother in English inside of a Russian prison. The plot suffers as a result. Overall, copy and paste characters in this game. The only character I found interesting was the protagonist due to the mystery surrounding his memories.

That Spec Ops feeling that some people are looking for does exist in some parts of the game. It was a refreshing change compared to other war FPS.

The game is graphical eye-candy if you have the system to play it. Just be willing to pay for it. You buy this game for the great graphical violence and the Spec Ops nostolgia, not for all the great things you see in other games.
  2. Nov 11, 2010
    I guess they just had to release this title before the big Christmas sales in order to cash in. This big a problem, being the incredibly laggy and buggy multiplayer AND singleplayer with issues, should have and must have been tracked down and resolved after proper testing. They might fix this fast, and with a proper patch this will be a very entertaining title in both mp and sp, butI guess they just had to release this title before the big Christmas sales in order to cash in. This big a problem, being the incredibly laggy and buggy multiplayer AND singleplayer with issues, should have and must have been tracked down and resolved after proper testing. They might fix this fast, and with a proper patch this will be a very entertaining title in both mp and sp, but Treyarch and Activision (and Steam?) deserve a "Boo!" on another failing opening week, especially on the poor quality of the PC edition. Expand
  3. Nov 11, 2010
    Ignore the trolls here, COD BlOps is unashamedly Call Of Duty so if you don't like the series you won't like this and it's dumb spamming the reviews.... For the game itself it's at least as good as the Modern Warfares with extras such as the Wager Matches and COD Points system pipping the MP ahead IMO. Zombies and Dead Ops are much more enjoyable than MW2's Spec Ops as well
  4. Nov 11, 2010
    Quite the most awful game release Ive seen in a long time. Obvious money grab from Bobby Kotick and his thieves.

Awful Graphics. Awful Sound. Full of Bugs. Dont buy. Its shocking that The reviewers are lying about it, but then again maybe Kotick has their families held hostage, I wouldnt put it past the slimeball. Activision is the enemy of gamers everywhere. Boycott their crap until Kotick gets the boot.
  5. Nov 11, 2010
    Terrible game. Activsion needs slapped. First day = everyone using mp5k. Doesnt matter if you fire first because the lag kills you. The gun is OP. Whats with everyone having commando..come on you removed the perk instead you gave the ability to everyone by default! :(
  6. Nov 11, 2010
    This looks as thoe it could be a great game, the levels look gorgeous, but everything is so choppy and stuttery even on a high end pc....they just need to sort out the pc version and fast...! its just disgusting how they have let this version out after having a year of testing it....Hopefully there is a patch very soon.... :(
  7. Nov 11, 2010
    Do not buy this game.

Do not buy this game.

Treyarch again show how bad they are at making games. This is a copy paste of MW2 and WaW and half of the glue didnt even work. What has resulted is a deeply unsatisfying game. There are HUGE technical issues making the game unplayable at release. Footsteps are too quiet, killstreaks are boring, guns and equipment are poorly balanced....there is NO innovation...i mean i remember thinking WaW was a bad WW2 mod of MW2, Black Ops is just a disaster.

The only way this game will be good on PC is it gameservers.com can provide GOOD servers and there is a promod released that can make the game play competitive.
  8. Nov 11, 2010
    Only one complaint, sniper rifles are not powerful enough! Even the most powerful sniper rifle with suppressor attached does not 1 shot kill if I shoot someone in the head?! (Not HC mode).

Other than that, I strongly disagree with all of the negative reviews, the online play is absaloutely perfect for me and the 4 buddies I play online with. There is occasionaly stutter however most games I have played have lagged every now and then, even on consoles. Class customisation is awesome and adds a new element to the game, there seems to actually be tonnes of customisation options. Also contracts and wager matches are bloody good fun! Ping wise, I am joining servers with about 20ms ping, my friends usually get between 20 and 70, most other people seem to be around 50-100. You get the odd people with +100 who complain a lot... join another server?! Get a better connection, stop downloading!?

Single player, I am only on the third level so far, whilst it does not feel as polished as Modern Warfare 2's campaign. (My team seem to wonder into rooms full of enemies and they all ignore each other? I follow in and get ripped to shreds?) it is still really sucking me into it and I am loving every moment, feels like I am playing through a movie.

Zombie mode, jesus it is a lot harder than it used to be, I am struggling to get past round 10!!! But it has definitely been massively improved, incredibly theatric/intense to play now.

I have had no problems with graphics, running at 1920*1200, maxed out. Game looks awesome. (Q6600 @ 3.2GHz, GTX470, 4GB DDR2).

It is another CoD game though, so if you buy it expecting the core not to feel like every other CoD then you should not be buying it! Yes, all of them have had the same gameplay style etc since CoD1, but thats why we love it? Right?!
  9. Nov 11, 2010
    Basically the same SP as we are watching for the last 7 years.
    No story that you would feel for characters and narrow straight ahead 'shoot em all and plant a c4 here and there'.
    Basically the same SP as we are watching for the last 7 years.
    Basically the same graphics as we watch for last 7 years. Turning on bump, reflection and opacity levels for me is not a progress in graphics.. No dx10/11 in 2011?? and no destruction model??? Mp playing on a very solid machine on 5-30fps? Are you kidding me? And you want money for this?

Please dudes at activison, take a copy of Bc2 and play it and think your position in gaming industry. Yeah you might say we are the best in recycling the same god damn thing and making billions, we are the champions, but is there no spark in you to create something that whole gaming world would just say wow, omg this is something out of this world, I can easily pay even 100$ for this?
  10. Nov 11, 2010
    A money grab that doesn't do anything more than the last billion versions of Call of Duty. They are all playable games in their own right but that doesn't mean you should buy every new rehash of the same game. It's just like Madden, they are all identical...
  11. Nov 11, 2010
    I did not have the lag other users have suffered. Game played great on my system. However, it seems all Activision is doing is beating an already dead cash cow for whatever milk's left. The story was a psychological thriller and that seemed fine but the graphics do look dated and I agree with the previous poster who mentioned weapon recoil. What were the devs thinking?? I can shoulder fireI did not have the lag other users have suffered. Game played great on my system. However, it seems all Activision is doing is beating an already dead cash cow for whatever milk's left. The story was a psychological thriller and that seemed fine but the graphics do look dated and I agree with the previous poster who mentioned weapon recoil. What were the devs thinking?? I can shoulder fire an MG and spray out 7.62 ammo with close to minimal recoil? anyone who's fired one in real life can tell you that is utter BS. It take a crap load of trigger discipline to even maintain your sights on your target.

MOH lags on my high end system and has way more bugs, but I actually found it more refreshing and the weapons being more believable. I can't even believe I'm endorsing an EA game. But CoD:BO here just seemed a sad hackneyed rehash of the same old tried and true formula without any improvements whatsoever, and I have been playing CoD since its humble first release.
  12. Nov 11, 2010
    I don't understand why they have to change a system that's been working fine for 10+ years.Don't mind then putting steam in place so people don't crack the game.But why cant it just work like Counter-Strike servers.I know the rating should be about the single player. But 80% of games today buy a game for the MP , when is there going to be an critic rating on online game play!!!! The gameI don't understand why they have to change a system that's been working fine for 10+ years.Don't mind then putting steam in place so people don't crack the game.But why cant it just work like Counter-Strike servers.I know the rating should be about the single player. But 80% of games today buy a game for the MP , when is there going to be an critic rating on online game play!!!! The game is completely unplayable.So disappointing.I should have learned my lesion with Modern Warfare 2. I'll never buy a Cod game again. They really ruined their own brand with 2 really shocking releases in a row. Expand
  13. Nov 11, 2010
    Imagine yourself in a toilet. Now imagine wiping your butt before you actually poop. That is sort of what Back Ops is like. A rather pointless exercise. Stick with Modern Warfare for your fix, it is a shame that although this would have been amazing if Activision took their eye off the profit margins and truly turned to innovation.
  14. Nov 11, 2010
    I bought this game more for the multiplayer than anything else. All of the previous and trailers showed some real promise for a great multiplayer experience. What a disappointment. All of those great ideas ruined by terrible implementation and what appears to be a complete lack of beta-testing on the PC. This game is completely unplayable on the PC. Given the chance to do it over, II bought this game more for the multiplayer than anything else. All of the previous and trailers showed some real promise for a great multiplayer experience. What a disappointment. All of those great ideas ruined by terrible implementation and what appears to be a complete lack of beta-testing on the PC. This game is completely unplayable on the PC. Given the chance to do it over, I wouldn't waste my money on it. Save your money. Play something else this season. Expand
  15. Nov 11, 2010
    I don't want waste my money on this creepy peace of code. Fps freezing all the time. Foolish storyline and bugging multilayer. Even Moh looks better...
  16. Nov 20, 2010
    I waited to buy this game for as long as I could, but eventually I caved, because I love the Call of Duty franchise and couldn't resist. Obviously as the 3.8 user score shows, this game is getting torn up on Metacritic right now. I don't think that's entirely merited.

There are lag issues. There are balance issues -- the unstoppable explosive rc cars and instant-detonation claymores being a couple of the more obnoxious examples. However, I think that the overall foundation of the game is solid. DEDICATED SERVERS ARE BACK. This is excellent news for those players who missed the competitive Promod scene that was present in Call of Duty 4.

One major problem with the game: sniping took a major hit, since zooming in no longer brings the crosshair to the center of what you were aiming at. This means that quickscoping, for better or for worse, has gone the way of the Stopping Power perk. I was a hardcore sniper in mw2 and cod4; I know a lot of other players like myself who are disappointed by this nerf.

The currency system works well, as do the wager matches, which keep you punching your expensive Razer keyboard in frustration. If you're still reading this then you've probably already done some research on the game, so I'll try to summarize: the multiplayer is much different, but it's still extremely fun.

And I haven't even mentioned the single-player mode, which is exciting without being ridiculous in terms of story. Still has lots of slow motion quicktime events but at least you don't have to fight your way through a Russian invasion of Washington DC this time.

It's not a beautiful game, but people don't play Call of Duty for the graphics. Gameplay has been polished here, and I can see Black Ops being a game that people play competitively, something that couldn't be said for any other Call of Duty game since the original Modern Warfare. It's not inferior to MW2: it's merely different. I like it, and I've put enough hours into it to know that I'll continue to play for months. I think an 8 is an appropriate score for a successful production like this one.
  17. Nov 11, 2010
    OK...Just OK

OK...Just OK

Maps are too deep and opponents disappear into the scenery. This makes for a boring camper heaven. I have played 100 games maybe half reach the max score as most of the players are just hiding. Very "glitchy" hard to aim or see the already impossibly tough to see hidden campers. Did Treyarch not learn anything from Infinity Ward? In MW2, at distance the opponents were not microscopic, they were big enough to still have a gunfight.
  18. Nov 11, 2010
    Some people are commenting about "no innovation" but I think they're doing a good job with the campaign and the zombie mode -- it's very creative. However, there are very too many game-breaking issues at launch for this game to deserve a decent rating. Perhaps the console versions are okay, but the PC version is buggy beyond being enjoyable. Nazi Zombies game lobbies close with "Game is noSome people are commenting about "no innovation" but I think they're doing a good job with the campaign and the zombie mode -- it's very creative. However, there are very too many game-breaking issues at launch for this game to deserve a decent rating. Perhaps the console versions are okay, but the PC version is buggy beyond being enjoyable. Nazi Zombies game lobbies close with "Game is no longer available" or "Party is no longer available" if just one person quits. No matter who the host is, if one person quits, the whole lobby goes down. Multiplayer suffers from serious spawn issues. Half of the maps are small (some extremely tiny -- Nuketown). In these small maps, you might spawn and then move 10 feet off your spawn -- guess what? -- an enemy spawns right where you left and shoots you in the back! Squad-based spawn with bases in safety areas that enemies cannot enter (ala Battlefield/Bad Company) would be nice. But currently, the game suffers from several issues that simply shouldn't have been present at launch. Thus the incredibly low rating. If these issues are rectified with patches, I will adjust my rating accordingly. (P.S., we prefer to get several small patches as soon as they are tested rather than one large unweildy patch that has too many things for Treyarch to test.) Expand
  19. Nov 11, 2010
    I bought this game for the multiplayer, however there are so many glitches in joining games, especially as a party. I'm getting dropped constantly and there is so much lag, I can't play competitively. Very disappointing.
  20. Nov 11, 2010
    Released way too early, or they had lousy testing and quality assurance. There are too many bugs to make this game enjoyable, unless you're playing the campaign on a quad core with this year's video cards.

Nazi Zombies lobbies crash all the time when people leave. Lobby leaderboard filter doesn't default to "Lobby". You can't change the filter directly on the lobby page -- sub-dialogs are annoying! The flashing explosions and lights video plays every single time the lobby crashes. Every. single. time. Spawning in multiplayer is ridiculous. You spawn, then you move, and an enemy spawns where you just were and shoots you in the back, especially on the smaller maps. Nuketown is an awesome concept, but it's too small!
  21. Nov 11, 2010
    MP is nothing but LAG LAG LAG, Hold them account for the crap they send out! I wish this game was more like Modern Warfare 1. You could pick a server and not have to worry about lag. You had the chose to down load Mods custom maps if want. Why change what was a great think. I hated MW2 because of the changes and Black Ops does not seem to be much better!
  22. Nov 11, 2010
    Graphics sucks, game play sucks. The graphics looks like a dx8/9 title from the late 90s, the game play and mechanics as well. Take a close look at the gaming sites that raved about this game (such as GameSpot) and remember their names since they sold you out.
  23. Nov 11, 2010
    The recently released patches have made this game a great addition to the COD family. My initial rating and review were deservedly negative based on the performance issues that the PC version was plagued by. Now that the issues are (mostly) fixed the SP campaign is intriguing and MP has a lot to offer.
  24. Nov 11, 2010
    They promised dedicated servers but what they didn't tell us is that only 1 company without the infrastructure to handle this task would be doing it, so now all it is, is a console tittle in disguise.
    i enjoyed the MOH beta more then Black ops full release. @#$% this game.
  25. Nov 11, 2010
    I regret ever hearing about this game, so badly the overall lack of quality strikes at me. I'm hugely disappointed in the single player, which is just a bad action movie on triple speed. The story is non-existent, audio badly worked, the engine is buggy, maps very railroaded and scripted, bad playability and just not fun in any way. I won't even bother to try the multiplayer, being awareI regret ever hearing about this game, so badly the overall lack of quality strikes at me. I'm hugely disappointed in the single player, which is just a bad action movie on triple speed. The story is non-existent, audio badly worked, the engine is buggy, maps very railroaded and scripted, bad playability and just not fun in any way. I won't even bother to try the multiplayer, being aware of the issues. I wish I had saved my self from the disappointment. Expand
  26. Nov 12, 2010
    Listen, call of duty black ops is a wonderful game. I don't have a clue why people are hating it so much. The campaign is the best yet and the multiplayer is awesome. I've never had any connection problems or lag so far. Playing on ps3. If you were thinking of buying this game go right ahead, you will NOT be disappointed.
  27. Nov 11, 2010
    I own every COD game. I can say without a doubt that this is the most inexcusably awful COD game ever released, including the very disappointing MW2. Treyarch willfully released a broken PC game while at the same time shamelessly trumpeting their dedication to creating a proper PC FPS. Treyarch failed to perform seemingly rudimentary QA and fixes to this abomination of a game. This gameI own every COD game. I can say without a doubt that this is the most inexcusably awful COD game ever released, including the very disappointing MW2. Treyarch willfully released a broken PC game while at the same time shamelessly trumpeting their dedication to creating a proper PC FPS. Treyarch failed to perform seemingly rudimentary QA and fixes to this abomination of a game. This game is an embarrassment to Treyarch and Activision, an insult to PC gamers, and a waste of my money. And- as usual, the paid game review rags appear shamelessly oblivious to the obvious shortcomings of this awful game. Expand
  28. Nov 11, 2010
    This game actually surprised me a bit. The multiplayer, naturally is about as dull as it gets, even with dedicated server support returning, and if the game was simply based off of that then this game would have been a 0. The only thing I liked was zombies, and the campaign. This campaign is a lot different, and almost feels like a psychological thriller at some parts. However, the biggestThis game actually surprised me a bit. The multiplayer, naturally is about as dull as it gets, even with dedicated server support returning, and if the game was simply based off of that then this game would have been a 0. The only thing I liked was zombies, and the campaign. This campaign is a lot different, and almost feels like a psychological thriller at some parts. However, the biggest issue with the game is the stuttering. Bad programming, and the lack of a true open beta, ended up driving a stake in this game's heart. Even with the best hardware many PC gamers have experienced this. While it's different with everyone, it's clearly a very huge problem and so far there is no way to solve it, although some ways work for a few players, there is no certified fix. This huge bug almost makes the game unplayable. Overall, very disappointing game from Activison, but what else could you expect from the money-hungry developers. Expand
  29. Nov 12, 2010
    Another fine example when the critics got it wrong and while genuine good games with original ideas get stuck with scores of 70 or less this poor copy paste of MW2 got an unbelievable 90+ , game is buggy and just not fun to play online or single player. While other COD games leaves an impression many hours after you turn off your PC, I almost forgot that i had this game Installed ,it'sAnother fine example when the critics got it wrong and while genuine good games with original ideas get stuck with scores of 70 or less this poor copy paste of MW2 got an unbelievable 90+ , game is buggy and just not fun to play online or single player. While other COD games leaves an impression many hours after you turn off your PC, I almost forgot that i had this game Installed ,it's that boring.While single player is at best average, multiplayer gameplay is just without any mojo if you manage to ignore the bugs first.

Bring back Infinity Ward and save the genre or it'll be another MOH type series.( 7 bad, 1 good release)
  30. Nov 12, 2010
    One word: Abysmal. Let's get one thing straight right off the bat; this is no successor to Modern Warfare 2. It's more like a cheap knockoff. Despite all the hype, BO is just another mediocre shooter marred by game-breaking issues. The PC release is unplayable, with famerate lags and jumps. Graphics are sub-par for a 2010 game. Textures are low-quality, graphics are flat and lifeless, theOne word: Abysmal. Let's get one thing straight right off the bat; this is no successor to Modern Warfare 2. It's more like a cheap knockoff. Despite all the hype, BO is just another mediocre shooter marred by game-breaking issues. The PC release is unplayable, with famerate lags and jumps. Graphics are sub-par for a 2010 game. Textures are low-quality, graphics are flat and lifeless, the smoke grenades are a joke, and it looks like a game from four of five years ago. It can't even compete with stuff like Unreal Tournament 3. The sound is equally lifeless and uninspiring. Gun sounds are flat, weak and tinny. Directionally positioned footsteps seem to be broken. Very little will give your subwoofer much of a workout. Guns pretty much all feel the same and lack character. There are several other issues that are annoying. For instance, you can't adjust your class in between matches. There are several good ideas implemented in the game, like the economy system, lots of unlocks, wager matches and more gun customization then previous COD games but they don't make up for the unpolished final product. Overall it's a huge disappointment. Don't believe the hype, this won't dethrone Modern Warfare 2 or raise the bar of First Person Shooters. Even if the glaring performance issues are eventually patched, under the hood this is a sub-par game the lacks the finesse of previous titles in the series. Expand
  31. Nov 12, 2010
    HAHAHAHA what a pile of garbage this game is, ps3 port, terrible graphics, lags like a **** same old same old. I really wish people would stop buying these games and then they might actually have to make a cod game for pc, and make it good, instead of giving us the crap that console idiots lap up as they don't know any better
  32. Nov 13, 2010
    PROS:
    - lots of new content added for MP CONS:
    PROS:
    - lots of new content added for MP CONS:
    - story is for kids under 14 - one of the worst graphics of the history of video gaming ever created, period (and I got a good and fast PC) - textures, shadows+lights (in and outdoor) are failing very very badly, must be made by a complete beginner. - geometry of the surrounding reminds me of the playstation 2 times (in fact, I just checked and Black looks much greater tbh.) - worst scripting ever combined with the most stupid AI a programmer may come up with. (this includes things like teammate standing and waiting for you next to 3 NME solder while those solders do nothing about him, or teammates yelling about incoming tanks after all tanks are eliminated minutes ago, etc, etc got about a zillion examples) - sounds are from a average SNES shooter game (they must be!), some1 fires a shotgun next to your ears, and you hear a sneaky fart.
    - etc -etc -et................. the bottom line: its a cheap bad fps, and not a CALL OF DUTY game ------------------ Conclusion: Never trust game reviewing sites, and never buy a game without a trailer showing actual gameplay
  33. Nov 12, 2010
    Another pathetic money grab from activision. There's nothing innovative or fun about this version don't bother. Why on earth wasn't infinity ward used on this version? Treyarch is terrible. Remember when they released World At War?
  34. Nov 12, 2010
    Poor graphics, unplayable multiplayer; what is there to like? These CoD games are just rushed out, to try and gain as big a profit as possible; and they succeed, unfortunately, due to blind idiots/fangirls running out to buy it because its 'cool to have.'
  35. Nov 12, 2010
    ** -- >>> I wanted to clarify to people that take issue with others saying that the reviews are bribed / paid off, that the claims of bribed scores are CORRECT, and it isn't just ActiVision who do this.
    Review sites make revenue by having people visit their site, and if other sites are putting up the first reviews of the latest hot game, people will go to them instead. Game publishers buy off high review scores by telling sites that they will receive an advanced copy of their game for review ahead of the retail release date ONLY IF the game receives a score of >80, or >90. They won't make this condition to all review sites, but they will to the popular ones, whose reviews will affect opinions the most.

The incentives given for high scores also go beyond that. If a review site gives a score the publisher doesn't like, they won't receive an advance copy for future titles, putting that review site at a disadvantage to other sites that can review the game ahead of them - and when a site is blacklisted by a large publisher like ActiVision, that can mean a LOT of titles that will be missed. Call of Duty is ActiVision's biggest title, you can be damn that sure they've put more score manipulating muscle into this release than any other release has seen before it. This score manipulation regularly taints big-name games, and you should know to not trust review sites all that much, because their noses are often firmly up the arses of the companies whose games they depend on being able to review early to generate their site traffic for revenue. User feedback has become far more valuable that site reviews. However, a lot of simple users out there who don't have much game experience will assume that the game they're playing that got fifteen 100/100 scores is truly the best, and those don't-know-better easily manipulable people are the ones the score-doctoring tactics aim to influence.

Metacritic, itself, has been lobbied by publishers to remove various negative scores from its site, to make games look like they were received better than they were. As far as I know, Metacritic has rebuffed all such lobbying.

Now my review:
    I've played only the sp so far, and it's typical CoD boredom, for me. I hardly feel like I'm playing, and what I'm watching isn't very exciting, either. The graphics are bad, but hey, it's designed for ancient console hardware, and not contemporary PC hardware, so it's not very surprising. Frankly, I loathe the cheesy cliche Vietnam characters and lines, which now (if not already ages ago) seem like a bad parody of a bad parody. I have some un-ignorable performance issues, the same ones which many others are also experiencing, detailed on various forums (Steam forums, ActiVision forums, & others), despite having a robust PC. This game will satisfy the kiddies, who are wowed more by the constant scripted business of this rail-shooter than by involved and in-depth gameplay.
  36. Nov 12, 2010
    Utter crap game. Writing a lengthy review of all the fails in this game would be a massive waste of time. Despite the unplayable MP part, who wrote the SP story of this game? Dolph Lundgren? Stephen Seagal? Uwe Boll?
  37. Nov 12, 2010
    leider hat mich das game ein wenig enttäuscht. zu mw2 stellt das spiel keinerlei fortschritt dar. ich fühle mich von der grafik in zeiten von mw1 oder wow zurückversetzt. die waffensounds sind plastikartig, dünn und schrill geraten. die maps sind taktisch kaum durchdacht und das spawnsystem funktionniert nach dem zufallsprinzip.leider hat mich das game ein wenig enttäuscht. zu mw2 stellt das spiel keinerlei fortschritt dar. ich fühle mich von der grafik in zeiten von mw1 oder wow zurückversetzt. die waffensounds sind plastikartig, dünn und schrill geraten. die maps sind taktisch kaum durchdacht und das spawnsystem funktionniert nach dem zufallsprinzip. rückendeckung ausgeschlossen. Expand
  38. Nov 12, 2010
    PROS:
    - lots of new content added for MP CONS:
    PROS:
    - lots of new content added for MP CONS:
    - etc -etc -et................. the bottom line: its a cheap bad fps, and not a CALL OF DUTY game ------------------ To the devs: so many days of hard work, but why not spend your time and money on a worthy game? please give all the money back now!

To everybody else: never trust game reviewing sites, and never buy a game without a trailer showing actual gameplay
  39. Nov 12, 2010
    For 2 Days I have been battling the DirectX error, still can't get past the menu screen with little to no support. I exceed the minimum hardware requirements along with the most current drivers. By far, this has to be one of the most pathetic attempts ever witnessed at a PC title, and by far one of the POOREST blatant xbox ports being pushed on the PC users. Stay Clear of this one ....
  40. Nov 13, 2010
    PC users have been left in the cold with a game that is entirely broken. Treyarch has failed on its promises to the community and should be ashamed that this game was released in its current state. An all around good game is crippled by technical issues that render the game unplayable. Even worse, the recently released "patch" does nothing to correct these issues. I believe that peoplePC users have been left in the cold with a game that is entirely broken. Treyarch has failed on its promises to the community and should be ashamed that this game was released in its current state. An all around good game is crippled by technical issues that render the game unplayable. Even worse, the recently released "patch" does nothing to correct these issues. I believe that people wanted to give Treyarch the benefit of the doubt, hoping they could keep the Call of Duty franchise alive even after the downfall of Infinity Ward. For now, things aren't looking too good. Expand
  41. Nov 13, 2010
    As a fan of the COD series, this latest installment is nothing short of pathetic. The game is barely playable due to a bug they have yet to resolve. I'll never understand how these kind of games get released with so many bugs and no testing. We all spent our hard-earned money on an overpriced, non-functional game, and Activision will just laugh their asses off as they line their pocketsAs a fan of the COD series, this latest installment is nothing short of pathetic. The game is barely playable due to a bug they have yet to resolve. I'll never understand how these kind of games get released with so many bugs and no testing. We all spent our hard-earned money on an overpriced, non-functional game, and Activision will just laugh their asses off as they line their pockets with our cash. If it wasn't for the fact that my friends will be engrossed in this game for the next several months, I would have returned it without a second thought. Expand
  42. Nov 13, 2010
    I find it unbelievable that they didn't even start the final release candidate for the game. Which i think (but can't be sure about) would make the problems obvious in less than five minutes. Or they did that and decided that it would be more convenient for them to release on time and fix it later (ignoring how bad impression this would cause to the early adopters). The game is at theI find it unbelievable that they didn't even start the final release candidate for the game. Which i think (but can't be sure about) would make the problems obvious in less than five minutes. Or they did that and decided that it would be more convenient for them to release on time and fix it later (ignoring how bad impression this would cause to the early adopters). The game is at the moment unplayable. Expand
  43. Nov 13, 2010
    it is a very poor release, it looks worse than WAW and plays woefully. the graphics are worse than bio shock and that was released 3 years ago and built on the UT2 engine!! The single player crashed constantly, just things going wrong with it like sound errors cut scenes that stop etc. The guns sound very lack luster and no difference between types. MP is a joke the hit register fails toit is a very poor release, it looks worse than WAW and plays woefully. the graphics are worse than bio shock and that was released 3 years ago and built on the UT2 engine!! The single player crashed constantly, just things going wrong with it like sound errors cut scenes that stop etc. The guns sound very lack luster and no difference between types. MP is a joke the hit register fails to work at the best of time its laggy and glitchy again. MW2 was a sellout for computer users but it is better than this. If you own an Xbox 360 or a ps3 hire the game for the week end and you will be over it by the end. Expand
  44. Nov 13, 2010
    I havent played too much of the SP so i can't really say to much about that. As for everybody complaining about "zombie mode" not working I could care less. I bought the game to shot people online not kill zombies, I beleive there is already a game for that (left 4 dead). I will admit that the release day of this game was absolutely dreadful wit the amount of lag server side. I must be oneI havent played too much of the SP so i can't really say to much about that. As for everybody complaining about "zombie mode" not working I could care less. I bought the game to shot people online not kill zombies, I beleive there is already a game for that (left 4 dead). I will admit that the release day of this game was absolutely dreadful wit the amount of lag server side. I must be one of the lucky ones because iv never had a problem with video lag running everything at max settings at 1920x1080. As for the multiplayer expiereince itself I really cant complain. After steam released the server fix the game became much more enjoyable (there planning on releasing future patches soon). Everybody saying that the graphics are crap; it looks exactly like MW2 which imho had pretty decent graphics plus i dont need bomb graphics to make it an enjoyable competitive exp. New killstreaks are fing sweet new maps are far superior to those of mw2 (again just my opinion). Also they balanced the MP a bit by removing crappy ass commando and some other gay things. My only real gripe about this game is that the guns have much more minimal differences between them then in mw2. To all those who are having issues with lag and stuff, i wish the best to you and hopefully they figure out whats wrong with your stuff so you can join the pwnage. Expand
  45. Nov 13, 2010
    Multiplayer is intolerable to say the least.Lag lag, and more lag.Graphics are eeehhh at best.Maps are too damn camper friendly.Treyarch hasn't even acknowleged that there is a problem.I would like my money and Time back.MW2 is hands down the better game.IW is no more, they have reformed under the name respawn. They will be making a new kick butt game.
  46. Nov 13, 2010
    Zombie mod is not working, it says session no longer available. Multiplayer was ok, lagged a little but otherwise was ok. UNTIL IT WORKED. Now it just keeps saying connecting but nothing happens. I can't believe I payed for this crap. Should have learned my lesson from MW2.
  47. Nov 13, 2010
    As you would expect a CoD game to me. Very similar weapons and mechanics only with a few more game breaking bugs and glitches.

If you're a fan of the Run and Shoot instant spawn Death match type of game play the Call of Duty is so well known for, you will probably get more than a few hours of enjoyment. Just realize you're paying an extra $90 for what essentially should be a MW2 DLC pack, at best.

It is also funny to note the communities response to the game verses the Critics response. I think a few too money are judging the game off of the hype and not the game play.
  48. Nov 13, 2010
    60 euros for a game like this lol. how can all these official reviews be so wrong? maybe because they are on the take. poor performance on old engine
    poor mp
    6 hour sp game
    =
    fail
  49. Nov 13, 2010
    The developers don't care for this version at all. Usually, the PC version of a game is this version, but Treyarch failed at that. Definitely a do-not-buy.
  50. Nov 13, 2010
    First: DO NOT READ THE METASCORE BY CRITICS IT IS BASED ON 360 AND PS3 RELEASE.

Let me tell you a story about a company called Treyarch, they promised the PC-Gamer community all the support and even more for their PC version of Call Of Duty Black Ops. Now turn the clock back to today's date, they have not been keeping their promise at all. The game has major issues in preformance both in
    First: DO NOT READ THE METASCORE BY CRITICS IT IS BASED ON 360 AND PS3 RELEASE.

The game has major issues in preformance both in Single-player and Multi-player. Framerate drops and lag-spikes fly all over the place. Now I do know issues can arise as PC's are different, but stuff like this SHOULD be catched by the QA team if they even had any.

While we are at it, the so-called Community Manager, does not inform the Community about anything, and uses his day to brag about placing this and that on Zombie-mod, whilst the lead designer even have the nerve to say that the issues PC-Gamers have at the moment are but of small grain of the community.

Do yourself a favor and stay away from this product and any other Treyarch project in the future, the costumer support is horrendous and you will not even be informed when everything goes wrong
  51. Nov 13, 2010
    activision must be hiring a lot of whores for these professional game critics.
    just look at the discrepancy! and even metacritic is tooting their horn by prominently displaying only that score. man, another 60 down the drain. i shoulda waited for the torrent to finish.
  52. Nov 13, 2010
    It is simple: do not buy this game until Treyarch fixes the gross technical errors that were overlooked in their testing process.

As of now, you will only be spending your money on the single player component. The multiplayer server browser and friend support is completely broken, and the ranked servers frequently get glitched to the point of where your stats are not saved and wager/ranked matches can not be joined.

It is simply an incomplete product, and false advertising on the part of Activision/Treyarch to say that this game has anything other than a mediocre single player component. It is a shame that game review websites have even considered giving this game good reviews.

It is Modern Warfare: 2 with a different set of skins and more bugs.
  53. Nov 13, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is very good in my point of view. Great campaign storyline, good zombie minigame and a VERY GOOD Multiplayer. It as some issues like bad zombie game matchmaking and a little bit of lag, but Treyarch has already made a small update to solve the lag so, that means that they are still working to do a better game. I think that everyone was so excited about the game and because of laggy servers in the first week, most of the "addicted to games" guys throw the game down the hill. Expand
  54. Nov 13, 2010
    I tried to like the game, I really did, but the flaws and poor story telling really got to me. On the whole, the game's graphics look pretty average as it uses a dated engine which does not bring anything new to the fold. An advantage of using this engine (in past instalments at least) is that it works well across a wide-range of PCs. Sadly this is not the case for me in multi-player whereI tried to like the game, I really did, but the flaws and poor story telling really got to me. On the whole, the game's graphics look pretty average as it uses a dated engine which does not bring anything new to the fold. An advantage of using this engine (in past instalments at least) is that it works well across a wide-range of PCs. Sadly this is not the case for me in multi-player where the game stutters and freezes randomly on all but one of my PCs (which by happy coincidence can only run it on low settings). From the 3 minute intervals in which I get to play the multi-player portion of the game without issue, the gameplay is similar to the previous modern warfare outings, with a lot more customisation options and a new system for purchasing upgrades, both of which actually work quite well. In terms of answering the communities criticisms of previous games, we can now browse for servers again (rejoice!) plus character customisation options are available (maybe heading towards a future world of call of duty title). The problem is, as an owner the rest of the series, the game does not add anything particularly new, instead being a re-hash of previous instalments with a few additions. All in all it feels more like an expansion pack than anything else. The single player campaign, whilst actually working, is also not without its flaws. Whilst the action is extremely fast-paced with some great sections of gameplay, the levels seem extremely short and entirely linear. In order to alleviate the boredom of playing through what is essentially Modern Warfare 2 with more explosions and a larger body count, the developers saw fit to break it apart with extremely chaotic, often surreal in-game cut scenes and set pieces; all of which are done in the best possible taste *cough*. All in all, I gave it a 3 because the multi-player experience is extremely frustrating at this time (bringing little to the franchise) and the single player is actually quite tedious and offers no replay value (unless you do not manage to acquire the myriad of simplistic achievements). Expand
  55. Nov 13, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Score (8.0)

Listen carefully to this review, don't listen those who say that its a total waste of money.

Call of Duty: Black ops has the best singleplayer campaing for a FPS. Its immersive and its completely different from Mw2. The campaing is also very long. ( 9.8/10) The reason why i do not put an 100 to this game is because of the multiplayer and the bugs. Basically, they should have wait 2 month before releasing the game. No one can't join ( or almost) a zombie server for a lot of reasons and they are patching the game and fixing the bugs right now... Well its a call of duty game afterall, there will always have bugs at first but lets be patient. I have been able to join a zombie server once and its not so bad. There are more weapons and more things to do. I say lets be patient and wait for them to fix the bugs. (8/10)

The AI is almost the same, its the good old Ai from Mw2 and cod Waw. (7.5/10)

Now the most disapointing part of the game is for sure the multiplayer. I remember those days when spawnkilling was an habitude on modern warfare 1 with 64 players... They set the maximum on 18 and i would rather play Day of Defeat:source than the multiplayer, no innovations at all except the customisation system wich is better than mw2, i give the mulktiplayer a (6.5/10).

In overall the game awsome if you are a cod fan, but defenetievely not worth 60 bucks.
  56. Nov 14, 2010
    I think this is a very solid game with a great campaign. Also I love the customization that I can now do on multiplayer. Yes, there are lags on multiplayer, but none that are game impairing. Overall I think it is a great game and does not deserve the low reviews that it seems to be getting.
  57. Nov 14, 2010
    This is good game for PC shooter, but not good enough for Call Of Duty franchise. You can have fun playing it unless you have not plaid previous COD releases.
  58. Nov 14, 2010
    (360 Version) Black Ops is one great CoD game. I didn't like MW2 but this game is definitely a fun game. The Story is exciting and mind-boggling, the Zombie mode is lots of fun with friends but not alone, multiplayer is so far great with some bad things and of course the hidden Dead Ops Arcade which is hilarious. Totally recommending this one for consoles.
  59. Nov 14, 2010
    Ive always been a fan of treyarch releases. I enjoy their games being that tupically they are more balanced. Though this game fixes alot of the game-breaking elements introduced into MW2 (not a tall mountain to climb as many know) it fails to come anywhere near COD4 and WaW. Treyarch made some much needed adjustments and removed alot of the frustrating elements that outright ruined MW2.Ive always been a fan of treyarch releases. I enjoy their games being that tupically they are more balanced. Though this game fixes alot of the game-breaking elements introduced into MW2 (not a tall mountain to climb as many know) it fails to come anywhere near COD4 and WaW. Treyarch made some much needed adjustments and removed alot of the frustrating elements that outright ruined MW2. Sadly they played it TOO safe and in the end made a bland game. I was very happy to see the unholy trinity of martyrdom, juggernaut, and stopping power removed completely. This could have been enough to make the online leaps and bounds more playable than MW2 but, put simply, the included perks are boring, recycled, and unimaginative. It was also refreshing to see Treyarch practice some sanity by removing dual-wielded shotguns (really Infinity Ward? REALLY??) and issuing major nerfs (handicaps) to the grenade launcher and assault rifles. Hit detection is as abysmal as any cod game so cant count them off there. the weapons are incredibly balanced each with a relatively different play-type leading to more diverse games where not everyone is using the same thing (I'm talking to you famas, m16, SCAR, .50cal, dual rangers). It was nice to see more than one semi-auto rifle but they are much too weak to compete in a fully automatic world. Another issue is snipers were pretty much written out when it came to map design and balancing. Sniper rifles are difficult at best and just dont pack enough punch to be useful. Sniper Players may find themselves snagging some assists but thats only if they can post up long enough to pick off ignorant and unaware players before getting gun down from behind by a newly spawned player. That brings me to BO's next downfall. The spawning is abysmal. You can game confidently knowing that you will have enemy players spawning behind you. around you, and sometimes even right next to you. Very frustrating when you journey to a quiet corner of a map to drop a carepackage or other dropped killstreak. There is a complete absence of a "front" so be prepared to scramble, keep moving, and watch your back (even if it placed securely onto the edge of the map).
    Moving to the customization. its safe to say Treyarch was intentionally vague and misleading on the amount of customization. im sure i was only one of many that were disappointed to see that you could not, in fact, change many aspects of your character. It was nice, however to see perks actually affect the way the character looks (ghost, flak jacket, lightweight, etc). Though some may be sold on adding a happyface to their reticle or sculpting male genitalia out of the hundreds of playercard symbols provided, one could not help be feel how absolutely superfluous it all was when there were guns, perks, and killstreaks to buy. The campaign was solid. it didnt break any ground but it was no more superior or inferior to the last 3 COD campaigns. Most dont purchase Cod for the campaign so i wont go into it
    The crown jewel that has come to be associated with Treyarch releases is the acclaimed Nazi Zombies. Treyarch has outdone itself again with much more complex maps and even 2 separate "storylines" You have the ww2 cast of characters from WaW and a new cast of which i will not disclose. The new cast is hilarious and the voice actors are excellent. Its much more challenging. Zombies fall out of the ceiling, leap through windows instead of climb, and there is even a new very dangerous breed of zombie of which ill let you discover for yourslelf. The mystery box moves much more often (averaging 4-5 uses before whisking off to a less defendable room). Treyarch also included a competitive top-down arcade zombie killer that is amazingly fun and good for hours of replay with up to a team of 4. Overall the game is solid and offers an amazing amount of content in terms of maps, zombies, killstreaks(trust that if this had been an infinity ward release you would be shelling out some extra dosh for alot of it). Though it seeks to fix what mw2 broke it just doesnt offer enough NEW items to make people drop MW2, and WaW to make the $60 switch. See you in two years treyarch, better luck next time.
  60. Jan 5, 2011
    Besides not being anything new the multi player is unplayable due to disconnects. I mean it, UNPLAYABLE. Unplayable MP, stuttering like mad on C2D 3.0 with 4gb and 9800GTX card...even on lowest settings. Then there's lag issues, CTD problems....you get the picture. Stear clear from this junk until it's fixed.
  61. Nov 15, 2010
    This game is probably one of the biggest let downs of all time. I mean, not only did the multiplayer made me want to rip my hair out. But the game its self is complete **** The lag is unbelievable.
    1/10 = Multiplayer
    6/10 Zombies
    7/10 Campain
  62. Nov 15, 2010
    I have to say that I was amazed by the campaign and how it built up to an explosive ending. As for multiplayer . Everyone who is complaining about lag please remove your review. It is apparent that none of you have ever played a pc game before. The game was lagging due to the game having top of the line system requirements and I mean it had to have been purchased in 2010. Also updating theI have to say that I was amazed by the campaign and how it built up to an explosive ending. As for multiplayer . Everyone who is complaining about lag please remove your review. It is apparent that none of you have ever played a pc game before. The game was lagging due to the game having top of the line system requirements and I mean it had to have been purchased in 2010. Also updating the drivers helped with lag tremendously. BC2 was far worse at the beginning anyway. As for infinity war. YOU SAY THIS IS A MONEY PLOY???? I think there are 360 people trolling here because MW2 was the biggest paycheck Bobby Kotick Aka. satin got in a long time. And all of this bs on how infinity ward made a better game? The MW2 campaign was like a Michael Bay film. Full of plot holes. And the multiplayer for it was terrible. No customization unless you ran a hacked server. There was also an unbearable amount of hackers that VAC could not ban. Now because black ops has servers people can be banned server side which actually works. Finally it took them a day to fix the game so I think this is Treyarch's biggest improvement since World at War. (Note that all bugs have been fixed) Expand
  63. Nov 15, 2010
    COD: BlackOPs is an absolute disaster of a game. Technically speaking the game does not work. It's broken, there are numerous bugs, many of which make the game completely and totally unplayable, the game will crash unexpectedly, it lags constantly, the number of hoops you have to jump through to make this game work are so many that it's simply not worth the effort in the end. ForCOD: BlackOPs is an absolute disaster of a game. Technically speaking the game does not work. It's broken, there are numerous bugs, many of which make the game completely and totally unplayable, the game will crash unexpectedly, it lags constantly, the number of hoops you have to jump through to make this game work are so many that it's simply not worth the effort in the end. For instance: Activision suggests (from their web site) that you reduce your screen resolution to 1024x768, reduce your audio card performance to basic, turn off antivirus and turn off any non windows services using msconfig. The fact that you need to use msconfig at all is a major red flag here. No normal game player should ever use msconfig as it's a system tool that can completely crash your OS if used incorrectly. In addition to all of the steps above you need also update every single driver for each piece of hardware on your system. DirectX, VideoCard, SoundCard all to play this game.

The fact that you need to adjust any system preferences is an indicator of just how bad of a job Treyarch did in programming this game and there's no guarantee that doing so will make the game work, goes to show you just how god awful of a game this really is.

Do not buy this game, you have been warned. This is not a review so much as it is a gigantic danger sign. If you buy this game you will be disappointed. Fact.
  64. Nov 15, 2010
    It;s probobly the worst cod game ever. I honestly think, that one studio can't made all worst games in series byt I was obvusly wrong. The singleplayer is short, the multi is worst that this in modern warfare 2.
    But the most important- THIS GAME DID NOT WORK AT ALL!
    It's just beta stage. And I have to pay for this.
  65. Nov 15, 2010
    Excellent single player campaign and - in my experience so far - great multi-player which works fine and brings some new ideas to the COD table whilst scaling back on the death-for-above craziness and staggering arrogance of MW2. I have had a couple of crashes and at least one laggy multiplayer match, but I've enjoyed it enough to overlook the stability issues.

There are some stunningly

There are some stunningly bad user reviews on here - in particular, one person has registered multiple times to spam the same stunningly stupid 0-score review (in which he actually states "Why on earth wasn't infinity ward used on this version?", demonstrating he knows sweet F A about how COD's being handled by Activision) so ignore the average and stick to the critic reviews on this one - the fanboy element's destroyed the user review section, which is a **** shame. Trust a community to absolutely destroy a community feature, eh? Buggers.
  66. Nov 15, 2010
    This game is just plain bad. The multiplayer is beyond laggy, to the point where the lowest ping wins. It appears the only graphics they've updated are smoke effects. The single player mode is not very fun, and the game is severely unbalanced. Modern Warfare 2 is better than this. This game is worth no more than $15. I strongly recommend you do not buy this game, it truly is a waste of money.
  67. Nov 29, 2010
    This game is one of the worst in Call of Duty history, it's not polished and the lack of effort Treyarch have put into this game really shows how terrible it is, the so called 'Community' they were listening to were the XBOX360 Community while PC were abandoned with a poor sluggish console port, never in my life have I seen a cheap un-stable release. I feel like such an idiot for wastingThis game is one of the worst in Call of Duty history, it's not polished and the lack of effort Treyarch have put into this game really shows how terrible it is, the so called 'Community' they were listening to were the XBOX360 Community while PC were abandoned with a poor sluggish console port, never in my life have I seen a cheap un-stable release. I feel like such an idiot for wasting 59 bucks on this, The Single Player is extremely short, boring, and repetitive, I feel like I'm playing World at War, simply because they haven't changed the engine much. This game should be worth $4.99 otherwise, it's not worth buying, save your money, wait for the next Call of Duty, read some feedback from the COMMUNITY, not BS reviewers bribed to give high scores, then decide whether you're ready to waste the next 365 days of your life. Expand
  68. Nov 15, 2010
    This is awesome fps game. I can say very cheerful that this is the best FPS on this year! The story i was awesome and not pit too short on my opinion. I was get along with it at the start. Because i have been waited this game so long. So i cold not dissapointed on that. And i wasn't. Story and game play are perfect. Except that the AI was little too push over on my opinion, but even thatThis is awesome fps game. I can say very cheerful that this is the best FPS on this year! The story i was awesome and not pit too short on my opinion. I was get along with it at the start. Because i have been waited this game so long. So i cold not dissapointed on that. And i wasn't. Story and game play are perfect. Except that the AI was little too push over on my opinion, but even that doesent bother me so much. Expand
  69. Nov 15, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The solo mode is pathetic : stupid & really poor story, very strange end with the zombies. I did not find any major innovation in this game, it could be such a mod of Modern warfare 2. Expand
  70. Nov 18, 2010
    potentially worse game than mw2... seriously it gives me a migraine everytime i finish playing the multiplayer.. the amount of lag and bull-sheet that goes on is increadible.. 18 man FFA are you kidding me? TDM i spawn beside my enemy and get shot in the back.. Commando knifing default for eveyone.. isnt this a gun game? why does it make knifing so easy? hit detection is fail... they saypotentially worse game than mw2... seriously it gives me a migraine everytime i finish playing the multiplayer.. the amount of lag and bull-sheet that goes on is increadible.. 18 man FFA are you kidding me? TDM i spawn beside my enemy and get shot in the back.. Commando knifing default for eveyone.. isnt this a gun game? why does it make knifing so easy? hit detection is fail... they say the guns need more skill to use but i always get sprayed down by noob enemies who blind fire their weapon with extended mags, hip firing and random spraying.. worse thing of all i get headshotted.. they say mw2 was broken? well it was but at least it was fun, the graphics were smooth. obviously black ops is better in certain ways because Treyarch just reversed any mistakes that IW made with MW2.. the bugs such as terrible spawns, lag issues, freezing in single player, NUKETOWN, commando lunge default knifing just kill this game.. seriously, i have watched youtube and people are raving about blackops on the XBOX. Has activision ditched the PC community yet again? so what about dedicated servers, IMO the online experience has taken 2 steps back with the bugs and lags. Expand
  71. Nov 16, 2010
    COD Black Ops is a good game. Apart from the mechanics/graphics looking and feeling almost the same as MW2, the single player being its usual irritating "get blood on screen, hide, wait, rinse and repeat" as well as the occasional game-seizing bug (which I have no doubt will be ultimately fixed at some point), and the multiplayer being a *little* chuggy, it is still a good game. Plus forCOD Black Ops is a good game. Apart from the mechanics/graphics looking and feeling almost the same as MW2, the single player being its usual irritating "get blood on screen, hide, wait, rinse and repeat" as well as the occasional game-seizing bug (which I have no doubt will be ultimately fixed at some point), and the multiplayer being a *little* chuggy, it is still a good game. Plus for the new multiplayer loadout system and the great customisation therein, and a huge plus for returning to dedicated servers - something that was missing in MW2 multiplayer and was therefore insanely terrible. Give it a patch or two and it could work out to be fantastic. Expand
  72. Nov 16, 2010
    Absolutely pathetic.

Read around, and you'll uncover a slew of of game-breaking bugs that I myself am experiencing as well. The PC community is NOT stupid. There is NO excuse for releasing a game like this. Congratulations, Activision and Treyarch - you have just reinvigorated the game piracy scene. You have robbed the WRONG people for a quick buck.
  73. Nov 16, 2010
    Why am I paying for the same game that I already have?
    This just feels like the same **** I've already played over and over.
    Also Reznov was dead the whole time and mason was brainwashed.
  74. Dec 20, 2010
    I have had plenty of time to play this game, work with Activision support, Google varying ways to improve in-game performance and now I feel it fair to provide another review. Single Player: After logging over 280 hours of single player time on MW2 I can honestly say I have no desire to ever play this single player again. After roughly 8 hours of dealing with a poor story line andI have had plenty of time to play this game, work with Activision support, Google varying ways to improve in-game performance and now I feel it fair to provide another review. Single Player: After logging over 280 hours of single player time on MW2 I can honestly say I have no desire to ever play this single player again. After roughly 8 hours of dealing with a poor story line and having my control taken away more times than I care to count, I only wish I could get those hours back but sadly it is not possible. Zombies: What 11 year old persuaded you to add this into the COD line? Really? I played about an hours worth and I was not impressed. I was bored and I am sure I will not play it again. Multi-Player: I have logged about 40 hours in Multi-player now and this does not include the 12-14 hours spent working with Activision support and modifying my .cfg file just to make the game playable. [Intel Quad Core - 6gb Ram - ATI Radeon HD 4350/4500-7mbps cable modem]
    In-game movement is spikey and unrealistic. The overall graphics are poor and even worse after I HAD to make changes to be able to play it. The sound is awful as you cannot tell where shots are fired from or hear footsteps well. I installed the game on two additional PC's which were far better than mine hoping it was my set-up. I was surprised when the game performed just as poorly.
    I do like the added wager matches, one in the chamber and the customizable avatar and weapons. Sadly they are all pointless when the game is below par. Activision truly went out of their way to build up the hype of this game to make us believe it was great when in fact it is no where near as good as MW2. I was so excited just knowing it would have dedicated servers so I could get away from all the steam issues and hackers but I find myself playing MW2 instead. I am truly disappointed in the way this game turned out. I feel as though I have been tricked and deceived. If I wanted a game this bad I would have just purchased HALO. Luckily I played it before and learned how bad it was before wasting my money. Overall the greatest PRO I can give is that I am bored with MW2 and have no desire to play Black Ops so I have lots of spare time to be productive and sleep! Thank you Activision as you have lost ALL confidence in me!
    **** Code Central must have received a HUGE donation from Activision to rate this at a 98 and move the Meta score up from 77 to and 82. Anything above a 75 is just political BS and should be ignored!
  75. Nov 18, 2010
    Did the critics play this game? It is not very good, and the detail is awful. They have people using guns that did not exist until years after the historical events in the game. Come on, ACOG sites in 1962! Save your money and skip this game.
  76. Nov 17, 2010
    there is plenty of fun to be had with this game and if you enjoy call of duty games you will know the formula. Black Ops does everything you have seen in mw1, waw and mw2 and adds to specific element. singleplayer campaign is slightly longer, more difficult and faster pased. there are some amazing moments and its up to the modern warfare standard. unfortunately some parts include enemiesthere is plenty of fun to be had with this game and if you enjoy call of duty games you will know the formula. Black Ops does everything you have seen in mw1, waw and mw2 and adds to specific element. singleplayer campaign is slightly longer, more difficult and faster pased. there are some amazing moments and its up to the modern warfare standard. unfortunately some parts include enemies that infinitely spawn, this gets very frustrating especially when the objectives are not clear. overall another decent campaign. multiplayer started out very laggy for me like most other people but after a few games settled down and was playable, with dedicated servers i am getting much improved pings over modern warfare 2 which is extremely pleasing, wager matches, cod points, and more customisation is great and maps are decent. the game would be great if it wasn't the same game for the 4th time at the ludicrous price of $90au (which is now $90 us) 82/100 Expand
  77. Nov 17, 2010
    The game is broken. Massive performance problems, Broken server browser, people complaining of lost levelling points, broken friends features. Can not recommend even if u have a decent PC.
  78. Nov 17, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I simpily say : I wanted Military Game - Not a Action Game.
    And say : I don't wanted WASTED my money.
    and I also wanted one of the solder in the battlefield - Not a Action Hero.
    and I also also wanted good optimization.
  79. Nov 17, 2010
    I feel somewhat thrown to the curb as a PC gamer by Black Ops. The game doesn't have multi-core CPU support which leads to choppy frame rate in multiplayer. Activision's solution? "Make sure you have no extra programs running in the background." I liked that they finally got some dedicated servers (although Gameservers.com has a total monopoly on dedicated server purchases) but foundI feel somewhat thrown to the curb as a PC gamer by Black Ops. The game doesn't have multi-core CPU support which leads to choppy frame rate in multiplayer. Activision's solution? "Make sure you have no extra programs running in the background." I liked that they finally got some dedicated servers (although Gameservers.com has a total monopoly on dedicated server purchases) but found the lag worse than the COD:MW2 system of picking a player host! Overall, Treyarch took 60 of my dollars and doesn't care about fixing any of the problems because they've already made all their money. I wonder if any of the professional reviewers have even played the game for more than an hour with their ridiculously high ratings. Expand
  80. Nov 18, 2010
    My review is based on Single play(SP) as I never play Multiplay(MP). The game is quite enjoyable and sucks you into a curious story of adventure, thrill and drama. If you enjoyed the story lines of other COD games this one [while not a continuation of MW due to a different developer] is quite interesting. My personal issues with the game are checkpoint saving which I detest [as previousMy review is based on Single play(SP) as I never play Multiplay(MP). The game is quite enjoyable and sucks you into a curious story of adventure, thrill and drama. If you enjoyed the story lines of other COD games this one [while not a continuation of MW due to a different developer] is quite interesting. My personal issues with the game are checkpoint saving which I detest [as previous COD games had], far too much random flashing images due to flashbacks, really not to my taste. Some minor issues with scenes in Vietnam, the caves the developers made for the Vietcong were too big (wide), and yes I have been there and have personally been in the caves, the game scenes made it feel like a cake walk, imagine crawling on your stomach in some parts, wider parts just barely enough room to crouch walk (with bats flying by lol).

AI is all right but I get tired of enemies breaking rank and running straight for me around a large group of "friends" and being ganked while my friends watch, many parts of the game I was unsure what I was supposed to be doing, objectives weren't so clear. I spent a fair amount of time tossing out colorful metaphors at my monitor dying and not sure what to do. All in all a worthy sequel to the COD series and if you play it for the SP then don't be afraid to check it out. I will enjoy replaying through SP. As for MP, well, I will let other reviewers comment.
  81. Nov 18, 2010
    A game with potential to have alot of longevity in the competitive scene, was completely ruined by lazy development. Treyarch spent no time optimizing the game for the PC. High end machines run the game poorly, while some low end machines run the game well. There's no solid system requirements. Getting lucky with hardware configurations is the only way to have an enjoyable experience. TheA game with potential to have alot of longevity in the competitive scene, was completely ruined by lazy development. Treyarch spent no time optimizing the game for the PC. High end machines run the game poorly, while some low end machines run the game well. There's no solid system requirements. Getting lucky with hardware configurations is the only way to have an enjoyable experience. The single player, while outstanding, also suffers from similar issues. However, we'll be real here. PC gaming is not about the SP experience. CoD is a multiplayer game. That is why people buy titles from this series. As of now, it's unplayable to many. Treyarch's Community Manager does a piss poor job of communicating with the PC community. The customer services is lackluster. Not to mention.. the game is directx 9. Get with the times, Treyarch. 3. That's being generous. Expand
  82. Nov 18, 2010
    It if far from playable and has to many bugs to list, multiplayer is full of hacker and stuttering even with high range hardware. It is using the same engine as COD 4 and WAW but slitly modified but still looks like something from 2006. Treyarch keeps promising a patch but regardless of if they fix some issues game should not be released in conditions like this. Most PC gamers wouldIt if far from playable and has to many bugs to list, multiplayer is full of hacker and stuttering even with high range hardware. It is using the same engine as COD 4 and WAW but slitly modified but still looks like something from 2006. Treyarch keeps promising a patch but regardless of if they fix some issues game should not be released in conditions like this. Most PC gamers would agree we paid $60 for a beta key. Expand
  83. Nov 18, 2010
    This is the first user review I've ever written for a game, but I feel compelled to do so due to the discrepancy between my gaming experience and the critic reviews. I'd like to preface this review with the fact that I found the multiplayer to be very enjoyable, accounting for the 4 scarce points the game gets from me. To be fair, they've added little in the way of new content forThis is the first user review I've ever written for a game, but I feel compelled to do so due to the discrepancy between my gaming experience and the critic reviews. I'd like to preface this review with the fact that I found the multiplayer to be very enjoyable, accounting for the 4 scarce points the game gets from me. To be fair, they've added little in the way of new content for multiplayer, but they've balanced it well, added interesting and entertaining new game modes, and created well thought out maps. The knee-jerk reactions of other user reviewers to the latency issues are unfounded as they were smoothed out within a week of launch. The single player on the other hand has not only failed to impress, but has actually bored and frustrated me. The sections they add that attempt to add innovation to the genre fail horribly, such as the "rts" section they added which did absolutely nothing to better the fps experience. The gameplay throughout single player is lacking in any impressive moments, something that MW2 had in abundance, and simply doesn't have the high adrenaline action I've come to expect from a Call of Duty title. In their Vietnam level they bring back the unlimited enemy spawn in force, which actually had me laughing out loud as I played it. I wasted huge amounts of ammo on constantly respawning soldiers, and only completed each section of the level when I made a luck mad dash without even firing my weapon. The enemy AI only shoots at you, defeating the purpose of their reiterated "no one fights alone" motto, and the friendly AI happily ignores enemies behind them, leaving the player to think that a position is clear only to discover they have three enemies rifle-butting them in the back. Finally, the plot (which has never been something on which I focus heavily in any fps) actually manages to detract from the game, as they seem to be pretending that something is happening when every level you play feels like it has nothing to do with the plot the game is trying to force down your throat. In short, the game lacks innovation in both multiplayer and single player, and the campaign suffers from a lack of polish and fundamental mechanics necessary to make the most basic popcorn shooter enjoyable. If you want a good multiplayer experience and have exhausted all your other fps options, by all means buy Black Ops (I certainly did), but if you're looking for a fulfilling single player experience, I wouldn't recommend this game even if the price tag dropped by 75% tomorrow. Expand
  84. Nov 20, 2010
    Practically unplayable. Every single mode and menu is glitchy and laggy. Either this game was never beta tested or it was and Treyarch released it as is. The only point garnered was for a very interesting single player story, even this tho was a test of patience as the game stutters non stop. Beyond stuttering and memory issues, Graphics wise this game is a disaster. As the release datesPractically unplayable. Every single mode and menu is glitchy and laggy. Either this game was never beta tested or it was and Treyarch released it as is. The only point garnered was for a very interesting single player story, even this tho was a test of patience as the game stutters non stop. Beyond stuttering and memory issues, Graphics wise this game is a disaster. As the release dates would lead you to believe Black Ops should be better than Modern Warfare 2 (MW2 was released a year and some months ago); it is not. Bad textures, terrible lighting and shadows coupled w/ a very crippled PC port will have you running this game with graphics mirroring a 800 x 600 resolution. Black Ops had its moment were everyone believed it to be the next great First Person Shooter, we passed that moment the day it was released Expand
  85. Nov 20, 2010
    Another poor excuse for a game. I don't enjoy being played by the computer. I've even seen a video on the internet that shows doing the whole Cuba campaign on hard without firing a shot. Why do developers make their games so easy? What's the point? They've all sold their souls to corporate.

What is it with the cut scenes? I actually want to play the game? If I wanted a movie I would watch a movie.

Another terrible console port. Unhappyface.
  86. Nov 20, 2010
    I'd love to make a proper review about this game but unfortunately it is completely unplayable for me, it's been two weeks since the game was released and yet there still hasn't been a patch released to fix the stutter problem plaguing the PC version of this game; this sort of business practice is completely unacceptable and I will be demanding my money back.

Definitely not recommended by me.
  87. Nov 20, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game was awesome. There were 2 parts to my decision, first the multiplayer, then the campaign. Multiplayer on Call of Duty has always been great. I know many have said "oh the graphics suck" or "it lags" but quite honestly, these problems didn't come for me, and my computer is not the best. People usually blame the company when something goes wrong for them... which is fine.. to an extent. However, I don't think their frustration should go to writing a review about this game because of their own little problems. On the Campaign side, the story; the start of it, with Victor Reznov... I thought he was a good guy, he was going to be a hero, despite the Americans facing the Russians in the Cold War. I was suprised to see the events in Vorkuta and how Mason got brainwashed. However, the campaign at the end kinda was easy to guess once Mason murdered Steiner. Expand
  88. Nov 20, 2010
    It's a poor rehash of mw2. The levels are complicated and poor, weapons are not balanced, aircraft are too powerful. mw2 is much better and kept me playing much longer, i'm already bored.
  89. Nov 21, 2010
    please stop whining about the lag, do you really think they wont fix it? tbh this is the best call of duty game since cod 4 since waw wasnt that good and mw2 completely sucked, because of the overpowered, no recoil guns and no dedicated servers. But in black ops there are dedicated servers and all the guns are very balanced with low damage and high recoil wich is awesome, finally needsplease stop whining about the lag, do you really think they wont fix it? tbh this is the best call of duty game since cod 4 since waw wasnt that good and mw2 completely sucked, because of the overpowered, no recoil guns and no dedicated servers. But in black ops there are dedicated servers and all the guns are very balanced with low damage and high recoil wich is awesome, finally needs some skills to get kills. and there is very low explosive damage on noob tubes wich is awesome. and all of you people who are whining about zombies not working on the day of realease, OBVIOUSLY SOME THINGS ARE BROKEN 1 HOUR AFTER THE GAME IS RELEASED BUT THEY WILL FIX IT!!!! Expand
  90. Nov 21, 2010
    Sound! Sound! Sound!
    How many people out there are still playing their games through their pc-speaker. I haven't heard such bad sound effects since running Wolfenstein 3d through the pc-speaker of my 386. I complement Activision on their fantastic marketing hype. I, like many others, were duped, and expected a new and improved MW2, but Treyarch just wasn't able to deliver.
  91. Nov 23, 2010
    The single player is the shortest story I've ever played through, clocking in at just under 8 hours at top difficulty. With MP just short of unusable, this game is a complete and total waste of money.
  92. Nov 24, 2010
    2010 price for a 2008 game. Average graphics & poor performance with a short, poorly scripted campaign. Give this one a miss or wait until it has had several patches and is on sale.
  93. Nov 24, 2010
    It has it's problems, but it's also the best CoD so far.

It has it's problems, but it's also the best CoD so far.

There's been plenty of rage and venom spat towards Treyarch from the PC community due to some performance issues which I personally don't suffer from. So far they've patched the game twice trying to fix these issues, and for the most part they have, but there's still a very loud mob of angry customers who can't play due to a "stuttering" issue, while I believe the problem is real for some, I can't help but think low system specs and poor PC maintenance play a major part for some people.

After MW2 I thought the series was dead for good, the awful IWnet coupled with a half working VAC made what could have been a decent game a disaster. Luckily, my fears were crushed when I first saw Black Ops, you could tell from the first reveal it was going to be a success, and it was. Black Ops adds so much to the table which sets it apart from other CoD games, for example, Wager Matches, Character customization, Theatre mode and much more, there always feels like something you can do that's fun and interesting.

The game feels a lot more balanced this time around, with the removal of such perks as Commando, One Man Army, Infinite n00b tubing, killstreaks not counting towards killstreaks and most importantly the guns, there's no gun that really stands out in Black Ops, you can be successful with most of them. The only balance issue that sticks out right now is the knife, with it's auto aim and massive lunge radius it's far more deadly then a backup weapon should be.

In closing, I'd just like to say the game is good, it's very good and you shouldn't worry too much about the performance issues if you have a good computer and know how to use it. I personally run the game with everything on high and average 118 FPS with maxFPS set to 125, that's not too bad, right?

My rig:

i5 750 @ 4GHz
    ATI 5850
    Win7 64 bit
    4GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
    1920x1080
  94. Nov 24, 2010
    PC Multiplayer is unplayable for me due to the stuttering. Worst console port ever. People seem to have endless issues with crashes stuttering, lag, sound. If you're lucky it will work fine without errors. But most who own the game have some kind of problem, even if they can play without stuttering.

Its unlikely there will be a patch that blows all the issues away soon. It will be fixed, little by little. Maybe next year or maybe not? 60e "well spent" folks.
  95. Nov 24, 2010
    The game is nearly unplayable for many with extremely bad video stutters and lag. In my case the game was playable, if uninspired, and somewhat enjoyable until an error with my profile (stored online not locally) made it so I literally could not log into MP Servers. to date Ive been working with tech support for over 5 days have gotten no updates in 2 days (despite requests for updates)The game is nearly unplayable for many with extremely bad video stutters and lag. In my case the game was playable, if uninspired, and somewhat enjoyable until an error with my profile (stored online not locally) made it so I literally could not log into MP Servers. to date Ive been working with tech support for over 5 days have gotten no updates in 2 days (despite requests for updates) and the techs keep looking for an issue with my computer (despite me not being able to log in to a server from any computer on any network and my friends all being able to play their accounts from my computer). Activisions community manager is silent on the forums regarding the product and is giving the impression that Activision does not care about their customers. If the game had the bugs fixed, and their staff and techs seemed to actually care about customers and or fixings problems then the game would warrant a 5-6 score for being a somewhat enjoyable rehash of World at War with some uninspired changes. but with the amounts of game stopping bugs in both singleplay and multiplay that many customers have, coupled with the complete lack of response from the company regarding the issues the game doesn't deserve a score at all. At this point there is no game for thousands of customers, just a waste of $60usd that can not be played at all, or if they are lucky, can be played with bugs that make the enjoyment nil Expand
  96. Nov 24, 2010
    This should be called Call of Duty: Serious Sam edition. Seriously, it's pathetic arcade shooter masked (not very good) as something else. Pro's - i liked the zombies mode, the weapons physics and the fact that the game handles very well on my average rig (at least after the hotfix..) on maxed gfx.
    Cons - everything else.
  97. Nov 24, 2010
    Worse excuse for a PC game, ever. The game is filled with lag due to unoptimized netcode and horrendous hitching that bottlenecks even the best of systems.
  98. Nov 24, 2010
    The game is broken and unplayable on the PC, at least for me an a large number of other users. In multi-player it crashes, lags, and freezes. In single-player it works, but it just plain boring.
  99. Nov 24, 2010
    It's pretty obvious why Activision flew most reviewers to a Hotel in Europe to play the game: because using a real world Internet connection, the game is unplayable. The lag is shocking, and the hit detection is garbage. Needs a major patch.

The real disappointment for me was the single-player though - not only was it buggy, it was poorly-paced, and a blatant rip-off of the Manchurian candidate. One of the things Infinity Ward does well is keeping you in the action. Treyarch kept tearing away player control for no valid reason.

And what was with Sam Worthington's accent? I'm Australian and I found it grating. Why didn't they do additional takes?

Good sound track though.
  100. Nov 25, 2010
    After 2 weeks the game was released, IT STILL UNPLAYABLE FOR ME!! The pathetic developer's update is USELESS!! I still have DirectX error, freeze when I play neither single or multiplayer (DX and driver already update). I CAN'T BELIEVE Treyarch create a 60$ TRASH! I'll never buy any series of Call of Duty. For those who is considering buying this game, DON'T BUY IT !! Save your money!!

1. PC Format
    Jan 29, 2011
    Its duffer solo moments are masked by imaginative and visual whizz-band-fizz. [Jan 2011, p.100]
  2. Jan 26, 2011
    This score will likely come as a shock to many, but this game suffers from pathetic frame rates at times, both on console and on PC.
  3. Jan 12, 2011
    Black Ops is one of the best first person shooters this year, and is a obviously must have for any action fan. Intense, gory and quite brilliant, maybe it's not refreshing but at the same time its a stunning game.