4.9

1. Nov 10, 2010
    Another pathetic money grab from activision. There's nothing innovative or fun about this version don't bother. Why on earth wasn't infinity ward used on this version? Treyarch is terrible. Remember when they released World At War?
  2. Nov 9, 2010
    This game is unplayable if you're on a PC and there has been no response from the developers. Releases like this spur on gaming piracy. Treyarch, I'll be illegally downloading your next release and seeding the torrent for the next 6 months. If Infinity Ward decides to come back and create another game, even if it's based off of a Jennifer Lopez movie, I'll take 2 copies for 80 bucks a piece.
  3. Nov 9, 2010
    Actually it is nearly unplayable online, even if you have a 30ms Ping! The game lags and everybody has problems to hit the enemy. Its a shame that every COD fan wanted this game, because of the dedicated server and then its unplayable, because it lags much more, than MW2 did!

A really bad start. If you want to buy it because of the Multiplayer, dont do it, unitl this problems are solved!
  4. Nov 9, 2010
    This game is truly disappointing in the PC version. It obviously is just a port from a console machine. Graphics below par, gameplay below par, shoddy multiplayer. Biggest disappointment of the year. Medal of Honor Tier 1 is far superior game and even that was lacking in comparison with BFC:2. This game would be a fantastic game had it been released 3-4 years ago. Terrible waste of money.
  5. Nov 9, 2010
    There is no was that the Critics played the same game that I am now. Black ops is playabe to an extent, but its a very broken game. I cannot get the zombies to play in Co-Op at all, most of the servers lag out and there are multiple graphic glitches, the single player looks exactly like World at War. The multiplayer is fun when it works, but there must have been no beta for this game at all for this many ungodly problems. OK game if it worked, but I've never seen a **** release than this. Stick with MW2 for a month or so and buy this later when it works. Expand
  6. Nov 9, 2010
    This game is absolutely unplayable in multiplayer. Constant network problems on top of the terrible FPS issues (there is already a post on the Steam forums with around 200,000 views). Whenever a player comes into view, the game will hiccup and stutter on even the best systems. Activision brought down the Tryarch Forums because of the complaints, what does that tell you?

How could they
    honestly not see the problems with this during testing? Expand
  7. Nov 9, 2010
    Pretty disappointing this time round from CoD: Black Ops, dedicated servers that is only available in the States that disallows the asians to play with low ping, Average ping is about 300ms. Can't even create your own game excluding private matches. Sound effects are utterly terrible, you have Helicopter killstreak chaingun sounded like some silenced chaingun. Choppy FPS as what LassKnacken has mentioned. Unfriendly Interface that people can't even figure out how to invite another friend to a co-op game. Expand
  8. Nov 9, 2010
    Stick with the Console versions because this is not a PC game. It's a port with one server provider, which is Gameservers. They are the worst servers to have. With Battlefield bad Company 2, those servers were plagued with server lag and horrible downtime.

I couldn't imagine a popular game like COD Black Ops being able to run on those servers, and guess what? It was unplayable. If
    Multiplayer is the only reason why you want to play this game, then don't waste you money. Expand
  9. Nov 10, 2010
    An unplayable port - SP and MP. It looks 3 years old but eats resources like Crysis 7. Severe audio stuttering, deadly lags, server problems, gameplay breaking frame-rate drops on gaming machines well above the recommended configuration, laughable hodgepodge story... If they cannot somehow patch this load of manure into playability, I would not recommend picking it up even from the bargain bin - where it will pretty soon land. Expand
  10. Nov 10, 2010
    Completely crap game. This is a 60 dollar beta, and nothing more. More than 90% of the online features either don't work or they are extremely buggy. Nobody in the entire pc gaming community can play a coop game of zombies. Half of the times, the attachments that you put on your gun don't carry over to your next game. The SP is incredibly short and there are absolutely no reasons to justify a 60 dollar purchase for this game.

Things that don't work"
    Zombies Coop
    Theatre and filesharing
    Upgrades
    Multiplayer as a whole [Incredibly laggy on all servers]

Do not buy this game. Boycott bad producers who think little of their customers, and have the nerve to sell a beta to the public as an actual retail game.
  11. Nov 10, 2010
    Unplayable MP, stuttering like mad on C2D 3.0 with 4gb and 9800GTX card...even on lowest settings. Then there's lag issues, CTD problems....you get the picture. Stear clear from this junk until it's fixed.
  12. Nov 10, 2010
    Is the worst game I ever seen. Play black ops for computer is like play a beta game. Bugs everywhere and the cpu's lag problem. Black ops has 874000 kb cpu usage. And you die and lag in single player, in multiplayer and in the zombie mod. In multiplayer game i have between 20 and 75 fps at the low resolution; and i have a gtx 460. This game is unplayable until a patch that fix this problems. Without words. Expand
  13. Nov 10, 2010
    Even without all the lag, it's blatantly just another console port and a bad one at that. For one Treyarch should have had an open beta a couple of weeks before release. This game needs an overhall, bring COD back to it's PC roots for the love of god!
  14. Nov 29, 2010
    Pathetic example of a over hyped game. Its very obvious the developer did not beta test this game. People using high end gaming computers that are way over min spec can't run the game without massive amounts of stuttering/lag. Activision really let its fans down with this one. 2 patches later and they still have not figured out the problems. Activision needs to fix Black Ops and do it quickly. They've already lost alot of COD fans and I doubt that I or my friends will be buying the next COD. Expand
  15. Nov 10, 2010
    So, the server browser only shows about 10% of the total amount of servers out there, making it hard to search for servers with your friends. Joining your friends via the browser does not seem to be activated yet, so you must wait until one buddy finds a good server and then invites you. The game will grab onto and hold most of your CPU resources making the game lag something fierce in MP and somewhat less in SP. This seems to be an issue for the majority of the players and a quick search on the web confirms this. My score is based on the SP part since the MP part is unplayable and would have to be given a score of 0. Once the emergency fix/patch is released, Black Ops will probably be a decent expantion for World At War. Expand
  16. Nov 9, 2010
    Even if you ignore the lazy and short SP where the game practically plays itself FOR you, you then still have a broken game besides that and all this at an outrageous price AND using the insidious Steam software. If this was a fiver, it might be worth giving a look. Right now? Don't kid yourself - if you call yourself a real gamer, move on.
  17. Nov 10, 2010
    Overall I am very disappointed and I feel like I should have never fallen for this trap. At the end of the day Activision wants to make money and that is exactly what they are doing by releasing sub-par, unfinished console ports each year.
    I honestly didn't think they could make a game worse than modern warfare 2 but alas they have. The game feels like a copy of butchered call of duty 4
    and is nowhere near finished and if I could I would return the game to steam. The main issues I have with the game right now are: The server browser, very poorly designed, you can not filter by ping e.g. ( Expand
  18. Nov 10, 2010
    It's obvious that none of the critics played the PC version of this game. I bought the game specifically for multi-player, and the stuttering/lag makes the game nearly unplayable. How did Treyarch allow this game to be released for PC with all the lag/graphics/freezing problems? They're so obvious that a drunk and retarded monkey would notice them in the first 5 seconds of playing! My only hope is that people stop buying this game until the developers fix this disaster. I wish that I had never bought this game, nothing but a disappointment. Expand
  19. Nov 10, 2010
    This game fails in so many ways it is amazing that Treyarch and Activision released this. It's no wonder they spent tens of thousands of dollars pampering professional reviewers, there is no other way they would give this game a good score. CoD Black Ops is just a plain bad game.

Black Ops does nothing really new. The only real exciting thing about Black Ops is the extra layer of
    customization available for the online multiplayer. Dedicated servers for the PC version was a good way to win over the hearts of the anti-Infinity Ward group, but they should have probably done at least SOME testing, since it's obvious the server and clients just aren't on the same page. Using dedicated servers is actually worse than the P2P connections of Modern Warfare 2. As far as gameplay is concerned, it's the same ol' respawn and shoot 'em up. I really don't mind that, as I didn't expect this game to be anything different, but given its other flaws, they needed to do something new.

The multiplayer gameplay is horrid. It's far too fast, and the game clearly favors SMGs with fast moving kits. Let me stop here, and stop the flames, I played CS2 as a part of a tournament invitational team, played every FPS under the sun, and I would consider myself pretty damned good at shooters. The multiplayer matches are chalked full of guys diving every time they see someone, even if they come up behind them. If they are not whoring out their prone key, they are bouncing around like a drunken night elf. The weapons behave as far from realistically as possible. I understand realism isn't necessarily fun, but it's almost as though Treyarch just pulled some numbers out of their ass as to how these weapons act and how much damage they do. And why are knife kills from the front still 1 shot kills? Every other modern game has addressed frontal melee kills, but not Call of Duty. I like a little bit of realism in games I play, and this game is far from that at every level. I was in the Army, and have extensive weapons and explosives training due to my MOS, so I think I can safely say I know what I am talking about here.

The single player portion of the game does nothing new or different. In fact, most of the single player campaign seems ripped right out of Modern Warfare 1 and 2's playbook.

In short, this game's flaws are frustrating at best, and infuriating at worst. Black Ops multiplayer is far too fast and favors the one who can hit their prone key fastest, and aiming seems to do little to help, as the characters move inhumanly fast. Save your money for Battlefield 3, and this is coming from someone who got through all 10 prestige levels of MW2 and WaW.
  20. Nov 11, 2010
    Outside of the fact that the PC port is nearly unplayable in some situations, I finished the single player in a half a day. I bought a $60 multiplayer piece of junk. Never again, Activision.
  21. Nov 10, 2010
    This game blows in its current state. Treyarch/Activision have just released another top level game and made us $60 beta testers. There is no excuse for releasing a game in this state. So much lag, and that is even if you are able to get in the game unlike the black load screen many people are dealing with. This might be a great game several patches from now, but at the moment it is unplayable. I really question if they even bothered to test this at all before release, because with the current issues there is no way in hell this stuff would not have been noticed had it been tested. I guess all my ranting comes down to this for game companies, stop worrying about the quick cash grab and release a good game. If your game doesn't work, delay it and make it work then release it. Instead of us paying $60 to "play" this game, Activision should be paying us $60 to beta test their game, especially when Treyarch is doing the game and they're known to release garbage. The only reason I am giving this a 1 is I have a little hope that if they fix it, that it could be a decent game. Expand
  22. Nov 10, 2010
    So depressing. Bugs galore, INSANE lag in both the campaign and in the multiplayer which makes MP pretty much unplayable. All this was a huge slap in the face after paying the full $60 for Black Ops on Steam (why it's still $60 even though there's no disc/case/booklet/shipping/etc i don't know) AND having to wait till 9 a.m. only to have the game be unavailable until 5 p.m. only to stumble into a world of issues that should have been dealt with before it was released. Even www.callofduty.com crapped out when I tried to post in their forums by redirecting you to the USA Today hompage and did so for a few hours afterward. Apparently nobody cares about their product or us lowly consumers anymore, just their revenue streams. This is far worse than the Fallout:New Vegas release, and I almost threw my Xbox 360 version of that in the garbage disposal. Too bad I got the digital download, I won't be tossing my comp out the window but COME THE F@#K ONNNN!!!!! Expand
  23. Nov 10, 2010
    Unplayable SP and MP yet another fail just like MW2 and overhyped game. If there isnt going to be a patch soon now then this will be my last COD. And i will stick with Counter Source and the Battlefield BC2 franchise forever.
  24. Nov 10, 2010
    Bugs and lag because they don't know how to program PC anymore just platform.
    I'm sorry but cod lost it's PC players already, just give up until you can get it right.
  25. Nov 10, 2010
    Truely awful. Any critic that gave this a good review should hang their head in shame, this game is a disgrace - the multiplayer is completely unplayable. Played every COD game since release, enjoyed MW2 despite it's short comings - this just takes the biscuit though.
  26. Nov 10, 2010
    Single player is horrible with same generic linear gameplay trying to tell a strory, but it falls in horrible ai and lazily scripted event with not even close ot enough triggers to make gameplay fluent and ai teammates to feel real. This is which breaks the flow of the game and cant really get into it no matter how hard i try. Same problems still exist to every cod game after COD2. Teammates keep emptying clips at visible opponents without actually killing anything until player finds the trigger which gets the teammates to move forward.

Multiplayer is very normal cod quality though making snipers unusable makes the game faster which is better in arcade shooter like this. The new game modes are fun but not enough to merit buying this if you already own mw1, bc2 or even mw2.
  27. Nov 10, 2010
    There is absolutely no way that the PC version was tested. My computer far exceeds the minimum requirements, but the game is an unplayable mess of problems at the moment. Activision's current response to widepsread problems is a claim that no on meets the minimum specs. The main campaign is a stuttering, crashing mess with an okay plot. Zombie mode is nothing new, but the special map with JFK, Nixon, Castro, and McNamara was funny. Multiplayer gamplay wise is pretty much the same MW2's, but suffers from a much smaller and unbalanced weapon count. Multiplayer at the moment is a godawful mess if bugs that will be impossible for Treyarch to ever fix. Whether it's getting a error that steam must be running to play the game when you're launching the damn game from steam, getting a connection error on a bot match you're playing by yourself, never having your proper name appear ingame, or just stuttering around the map getting killed by the magical 1% of people with no problems. Dedicated servers are provided ONLY by paying gameservers to host your server for you. I could not honestly recommend this game to anyone t the moment. Stay away for at least one year, and maybe by then Treyarch will have patched it to a barely playable state. The only thing stopping it from getting a 0 is the glorious voice acting in the zombie level with presidents. Expand
  28. Nov 10, 2010
    This game lacks any of the shine and polish for which the Call of Duty franchise is rightly known. The engine's performance is execrable on any but the most expensive hardware, the multiplayer feels more arcade-ey and cheap than in previous iterations and the game's AI is erratic at best. This is all particularly insulting given Activision's decision to charge 50% more for the game in Australia to gouge every cent it could given that country's favourable exchange rate to the US Dollar. Expand
  29. Nov 10, 2010
    I'm a very positive person, but this game is utter trash. The single player is pretty neat, but if you're looking for multiplayer at all, don't waste your money. I feel like I just gave $60 to a bum to buy a hot meal and watched him spend it on crack and OD. It makes me so mad that companies can release pieces of trash as buggy as this. The game lags no matter how good your internet/computer is. There is NO FEATURE that allows you to play with your friends. The server browser that shows your friends game is broken and there's no steam integration. The only way to get in a ranked match with your friends is through the in game invite system and once you're you can't pick or switch teams! Are you *@#*(&ing kidding me?! Did anyone playtest this game? I literally would have felt better about flushing my $60 down the toilet and punching myself in the genitals. Expand
  30. Nov 10, 2010
    90% - what a joke, which game did these reviewers play????, go to Steam Forums if you want to hear about the issues this game has, lag, stuttering problems make the game unplayable. I cannot play without massive lagggg in multiplayer or single player. Top end rigs are also effected according Steam users. They did not release a PC beta of the game and it is obvious. Do not buy until something is resolved. For me COD4 is still the best. Expand

1. Jan 29, 2011
    Its duffer solo moments are masked by imaginative and visual whizz-band-fizz. [Jan 2011, p.100]
  2. Jan 26, 2011
    This score will likely come as a shock to many, but this game suffers from pathetic frame rates at times, both on console and on PC.
  3. Jan 12, 2011
    Black Ops is one of the best first person shooters this year, and is a obviously must have for any action fan. Intense, gory and quite brilliant, maybe it's not refreshing but at the same time its a stunning game.