8.4

1. Dec 10, 2011
    The first ever Call of Duty has many elements which the newer CoD games keep coming back to, or just simply lost. The graphics might not look appealing today, and the AIs might look stupid, but this is where it all started, and look at how many good aspects of the game were simply lost as they kept making new games. For example, consider the battle of Starlinglad from the Russian campaign. Do we have that 'Victory or Death' charge with epic music in modern CoDs? No. Or the health pack system? No, these days you're an invincible sponge capable of soaking up millions of rounds. In terms of gameplay, this first CoD is still comparable or significantly better than the newer CoDs. Just play it if you haven't done so yet. Expand
  2. Jul 17, 2011
    It can be said that Call of Duty is the founding father of today's modern First-Person war shooters. It is a Classic. One Of The greatest video games of all time, and dare I say, the best PC Game of all time. Despite its few flaws, and sometimes laggy gameplay, Call Of Duty not only enriches the FPS Experience, it also inspires alot of their fans to go forward and not be afraid. For a First Person Shooter Game, this is rare as nowadays you have franchises like Battlefield and the Tom Clancy series that gets to the point and never has that much depth in the story. Call Of Duty does. In fact, story is what makes up this game. Like a TV Drama, it draws you in, taking you back to relive the tragedy, greed, despair, hope and glory of what was the Second World War in Europe. No doubt about it, may not be a perfect game, but it is a True Classic. Have you got a PC? Get Call Of Duty off eBay or some retro VG Store near you, because if you don't have it, you're not a true PC Gamer. Expand
  3. Jun 8, 2011
    hey all love call of duty but I need to find the best one rated T or less for the pc is this the best one? please let me know a.s.a.p.
  4. May 14, 2012
    Single player is rubbish.
    Multiplayer is rubbish.
    Graphics for 2003 game: oh my god how bad they are. Half life 2 and Doom 3 came half year later, look their graphics.
    So: sp 2/10 mp 2/10 graphics: 1/10 sound 2/10 musics 5/10
    Sorry CoD fans.
  5. Jan 11, 2011
    Though the SP was surprisingly short, I think it holds up quite well at the dawn of 2011 if you like solid, atmospheric FPSes. The beginning of the American campaign is a perfect companion to the Band of Brothers tv series, and the apocalyptic Stalingrad campaign was eerie and tense. I didn't care as much for the secret agent british campaign, but like all the levels, its all over quickly enough.

I'm really glad I went back and revisited this classic.

Rated 8 for a good game that i'd recommend to anyone thats okay with slightly dated FPS gaming.
  6. Oct 20, 2011
    I remember when this was the best graphics and gameplay ... Almost started crying when i saw the old details. I really love this game. But i think the new games are lowsey, and only a money machine.

-Anders
  7. Nov 2, 2011
    This is where it all started folks! Though the aging stalwart may not have the narrative drive or epic setpieces of more modern COD games, that does nothing to take away the fact that Call of Duty is a slick and awsome thrill ride start to finish. The campaign throws the player into just about every scenario you could hope for; with a simple and fun multiplayer to accompany it that is sure to keep you engaged for ages. Expand
  8. Dec 1, 2011
    It's an ok shooter. I found it to be a cross between Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, both of which provided a much better gameplay experience. Fighting as the Russians was the highlight of CoD which provided a hint of originality. Beyond that, there was nothing that jumped out as an experience worth remembering.
  9. Dec 22, 2011
    Smooth controls, animations and gameplay are the good things about this game. Bad things- multiplayer is without substance and non cheaters. Single player got so boring I literally forced myself through it. A waste of time. If you want a WWII shooter CoD2 or BF1942 are the way to go.
  10. Dec 30, 2011
    One of the best FPS games in the world war especially for the teen player. Good graphics, gameplay, sound, music, story and of course... less blood. No other COD game would most likely to own this one.
  11. Feb 28, 2012
    Many people try to compare this to the super-modern versions of Call of Duty. However, this game is a definite must-have. The characters are genius- you take them seriously and you can imagine them to be real. The weapons (although not a great range of them) are operated very realistically and are highly detailed* to the flash and even the sound. The battles are very close to real historical battles (e.g: Battle of Stalingrad) and they develop very interestingly. The graphics are convincing as well as the storyline. The multiplayer is not as strong as the singleplayer campaign although still thouroughly enjoyable. It is now a bit scarcely played throughout the world so you will have to compete against computerised bots quite a lot. The maps are diverse as well as the types of play.

*Except for the Sten MK2 which is very plain.
  12. May 16, 2012
    Call of Duty is a solid game, and with some great graphics. Even if this game is old, I was amaze by the graphics. It is with a fun campaign, and with a great multiplayer. It just needed to have a better story. (9.4)
  13. May 18, 2012
    Comical to play your friend in a map and pwn him all day. The re-play value was there, the maps were more comical than good, and this was a must have back in the day. Call of Duty 3 is another story, but this game was one of my first shooters that allowed you to kill and die 100 times in 5 minutes. lol
  14. Dec 7, 2012
    This game is very good and well done compared to Modern Warfare 3 and the new Call of Duty games in general. You really do need to but this game. Like now.
  15. Mar 8, 2013
    They say that the original is usually the best. Now, it may not be the best in the Call of Duty series, but I believe it is in the Top 3. The game features many exciting levels in a very lengthy campaign to give one of the best WWII single player experiences out there. I highly recommend checking out the Call of Duty WWII set for tons of fun and the games that started it all.
  16. Aug 4, 2013
    Bolja od Medala, odlična grafika, vrijeme dočarano kako treba, odličan ambijent, mnoštvo raznovrsnih misija...............................................
  17. Nov 27, 2013
    This is sadly enough one of the best games in the franchise. The newer ones are you copies of the older games. This one and 2 are the best ones in my opinion!
  18. Jan 8, 2014
    Except for graphics and seutorieul can not believe that 2003 production of the game! This was the beginning of it is just the best FPS games. It was really funny gamer living in Korea.
  19. Jan 27, 2014
    If you want something better Ghosts, buy this. One of the great games from the series, it proudly resides next to 2-7, and 9 (Every Call of Duty except for MW3 & Ghosts, which are the two crappiest games in the series)
  20. Feb 19, 2014
    Intense, awesome OST, original elements which make this game became a good old COD, rather than COD Ghost which make feel frustrated because of its ridiculous Sys req and boring campaign
  21. Jun 13, 2014
    Call of Duty is a great game, with new gameplay elements, epic WW2 storyline, great sounds and more. Well, that's for the campaign, but not for the multiplayer.
  22. Jun 25, 2014
    Simply one of my favorite game of all time. I like this Call of Duty other than the others, it has very nice missions and a good story line. The thing I like a lot is the multiplayer, I enjoy playing it all the time. This simply is one of the best. I still play it now and I will continue playing it in the future. Again, in one word, I could say it as the best.
  23. Jul 3, 2014
    Before becoming a travesty that it is today, there was the magnificence that was the first game of the series. With innovative single player, absolutely captivating multiplayer that it's newer sequels dont come even close to, it deserves to go down in history as one of the greatest first person shooters of all time.
  24. Aug 2, 2014
    Call of Duty. This is a game that I almost didn't want to play. I thought for sure that I wouldn't like it, considering that most people don't like Call of Duty that much, and I also reviewed the fourth game of the franchise (Modern Warfare), and I considered it terrible. However, I was just itching for some action in World War II this summer. I had already played three other World War II games before this: Day of Defeat, Forgotten Hope 2 (which is actually a Battlefield 2 mod), and Rising Storm/Red Orchestra 2 multiplayer. Overall, the only one I was impressed with was Rising Storm/Red Orchestra 2. Forgotten Hope's battles dragged on for way too long, and Day of Defeat doesn't have bots. When I heard the first two games of the series are considered the greatest World War II games ever, I decided that I had no choice but to try it. So, is this the kind of game Nazi Germany would use as a form of torture, or is this what the Allies played in their heads when they won World War II? Let's find out. Please keep in mind that I only played the single player portion of this game, as the multiplayer portion didn't have any bots. All I can say about this game's gameplay is that it is fantastic. It may play like any other first person shooter, but it is much more unique in that there are many more enemies to fight than in any other shooter. This game actually makes you feel like you are in the middle of a huge battle, and this is a big achievement that I have not seen any other single player game do. The game usually places you in a squad of several allied soldiers, and pits you against waves of Nazis trying to stop you from completing objectives. This game's gameplay makes you feel like your in a battle because of the hundreds of Nazis trying to stop you, the battle sound effects going off in the background, various allied and enemy vehicles, and objectives to complete that all fully immerse you into the game, and make you feel like you're an actual soldier fighting in World War II. While this game doesn't really add much to the shooter genre in terms of gameplay, it doesn't really need to in this case. The game plays like just about any other first person shooter you have already played, and this is both good and maybe just a little bad. It's good because that means that this game is not hard to pick up and play at all. The only problem is that if you are looking for a shooter that reinvents the genre, you won't find it here. However, this isn't really a big problem because the game is still insanely fun. The only real problem I can think of with the game's single player is that it is way too short. The campaign can be completed in 5-6 hours. The United Offensive expansion does add an extra 5-6 hours of play, but if you don't have that, then expect the single player to be just a short fun ride. The campaign of this game is still really fun to play on its own, I just wish it were a little longer. Call of Duty also sports excellent looking graphics for its time. They may look a little dated now, but back in the day, these kinds of graphics were all the rage. In short, this game still looks pretty fantastic even today. Everything in this game looks the way it should in World War II, the explosion effects look nice, and nothing in this game is ugly to look at. While the graphics may look dated today, they still look quite good overall. As for the story, Call of Duty actually doesn't really have much of a story. However, it doesn't really need one. This game serves the purpose of taking you into the biggest battles of World War II. The only real story to this game is that there are three parts to the campaign: American, British, and Russian. The American campaign has you playing as a soldier fighting as a paratrooper in the Normandy Landings (D-Day). The British Campaign has you taking part in Operation Tonga (which is also part of D-Day). The Russian campaign takes place during the Battle of Stalingrad. This game really succeeds in making you feel like you are actually in these battles. Overall, through its use of World War II as subject material, this game is fantastic. This game is by far the best World War II game I have ever played, despite it being a little short. This game is a must-buy for anyone who loves World War II shooters, or just shooters in general. On a side note, I also played Call of Duty 4 again after playing this game. I now think it is far better than I first thought!
    Gameplay: 9/10
    Graphics: 9/10
    Story: 8/10
    Overall: 9/10

1. However, taking away all the glamour, polish and hype this title has, what you’ll be presented with is rather linear game with fairly limited replay ability. We did however find the single player campaigns surprisingly short.
  2. Call of Duty is going to turn heads. It looks amazing, the action is fierce, and the multiplayer game is balanced, with plenty of diverse settings. [Jan 2004, p.58]
    The most intensive war action first person shooter combat title yet. I have not played a single-player experience that is as immersive and intense as the one in Call of Duty.