8.5

1. Mar 28, 2015
    Uh 150 words ok here we go
    Call of duty 1 is in my opinion when it comes to the SP the best of the series
    10 to 12 hours of no cutscenes and no MB moments makes it the best and longest COD to date! Great AI on enemys and team mates,great,story,animations,graphics and bla bla bla i buyed it 2 years ago whit the expansion for 8 bucks and i dont regret it there are still some people
    Uh 150 words ok here we go
    Call of duty 1 is in my opinion when it comes to the SP the best of the series
    Great AI on enemys and team mates,great,story,animations,graphics and bla bla bla i buyed it 2 years ago whit the expansion for 8 bucks and i dont regret it there are still some people playing it becouse it has dedecited servers yes servers somethink they should add now
  2. Nov 13, 2014
    A long time ago, back when Activision strived for releasing a new game every time they released a game, Call of Duty was without a doubt the best non-science fiction shooter. The gritty World War II classic was one of the first major fps' to feature a lean function in campaign, and was also one of the first to introduce the 2-weapon rule, adding to the realism. The gameplay was smooth andA long time ago, back when Activision strived for releasing a new game every time they released a game, Call of Duty was without a doubt the best non-science fiction shooter. The gritty World War II classic was one of the first major fps' to feature a lean function in campaign, and was also one of the first to introduce the 2-weapon rule, adding to the realism. The gameplay was smooth and non-clunky, hitting an enemy model varied in damage depending on the location of the hit, and the hardest difficulty level offered players a "fair" battle, where an enemy could kill you very easily. Best of all, the depictions of various historical elements were actually....CoD hates this today...accurate! Expand
  3. Nov 12, 2014
    This game really returns you in that time. World war. Honestly there are a lot of games with WWII but many are not good. Yes I know, were fashionable in year 2003. However, a good game.
  4. Oct 30, 2014
    "Never gets old"

The first CoD game is a brilliant World War II shooter, a thrilling experience for any shooter fan. The game is intense in times and provides great variety of battlefields. A definitive old school shooter. + ENJOYABLE GUNPLAY + REALISTIC ENEMY AI + INTERIOR LEVEL DESIGN + WAR LIKE ATMOSPHERE + NON LAGGY MULTIPLAYER + FLAWLESS VOICE ACTING + GREAT STORYTELLING
    "Never gets old"

The first CoD game is a brilliant World War II shooter, a thrilling
    experience for any shooter fan. The game is intense in times and
    provides great variety of battlefields. A definitive old school shooter.

+ ENJOYABLE GUNPLAY

--------------------------------------------
    GAMESCORE: 9.1 "AWESOME"
    --------------------------------------------
  5. Aug 2, 2014
    Call of Duty. This is a game that I almost didn't want to play. I thought for sure that I wouldn't like it, considering that most people don't like Call of Duty that much, and I also reviewed the fourth game of the franchise (Modern Warfare), and I considered it terrible. However, I was just itching for some action in World War II this summer. I had already played three other World WarCall of Duty. This is a game that I almost didn't want to play. I thought for sure that I wouldn't like it, considering that most people don't like Call of Duty that much, and I also reviewed the fourth game of the franchise (Modern Warfare), and I considered it terrible. However, I was just itching for some action in World War II this summer. I had already played three other World War II games before this: Day of Defeat, Forgotten Hope 2 (which is actually a Battlefield 2 mod), and Rising Storm/Red Orchestra 2 multiplayer. Overall, the only one I was impressed with was Rising Storm/Red Orchestra 2. Forgotten Hope's battles dragged on for way too long, and Day of Defeat doesn't have bots. When I heard the first two games of the series are considered the greatest World War II games ever, I decided that I had no choice but to try it. So, is this the kind of game Nazi Germany would use as a form of torture, or is this what the Allies played in their heads when they won World War II? Let's find out. Please keep in mind that I only played the single player portion of this game, as the multiplayer portion didn't have any bots. All I can say about this game's gameplay is that it is fantastic. It may play like any other first person shooter, but it is much more unique in that there are many more enemies to fight than in any other shooter. This game actually makes you feel like you are in the middle of a huge battle, and this is a big achievement that I have not seen any other single player game do. The game usually places you in a squad of several allied soldiers, and pits you against waves of Nazis trying to stop you from completing objectives. This game's gameplay makes you feel like your in a battle because of the hundreds of Nazis trying to stop you, the battle sound effects going off in the background, various allied and enemy vehicles, and objectives to complete that all fully immerse you into the game, and make you feel like you're an actual soldier fighting in World War II. While this game doesn't really add much to the shooter genre in terms of gameplay, it doesn't really need to in this case. The game plays like just about any other first person shooter you have already played, and this is both good and maybe just a little bad. It's good because that means that this game is not hard to pick up and play at all. The only problem is that if you are looking for a shooter that reinvents the genre, you won't find it here. However, this isn't really a big problem because the game is still insanely fun. The only real problem I can think of with the game's single player is that it is way too short. The campaign can be completed in 5-6 hours. The United Offensive expansion does add an extra 5-6 hours of play, but if you don't have that, then expect the single player to be just a short fun ride. The campaign of this game is still really fun to play on its own, I just wish it were a little longer. Call of Duty also sports excellent looking graphics for its time. They may look a little dated now, but back in the day, these kinds of graphics were all the rage. In short, this game still looks pretty fantastic even today. Everything in this game looks the way it should in World War II, the explosion effects look nice, and nothing in this game is ugly to look at. While the graphics may look dated today, they still look quite good overall. As for the story, Call of Duty actually doesn't really have much of a story. However, it doesn't really need one. This game serves the purpose of taking you into the biggest battles of World War II. The only real story to this game is that there are three parts to the campaign: American, British, and Russian. The American campaign has you playing as a soldier fighting as a paratrooper in the Normandy Landings (D-Day). The British Campaign has you taking part in Operation Tonga (which is also part of D-Day). The Russian campaign takes place during the Battle of Stalingrad. This game really succeeds in making you feel like you are actually in these battles. Overall, through its use of World War II as subject material, this game is fantastic. This game is by far the best World War II game I have ever played, despite it being a little short. This game is a must-buy for anyone who loves World War II shooters, or just shooters in general. On a side note, I also played Call of Duty 4 again after playing this game. I now think it is far better than I first thought!
    Gameplay: 9/10
    Graphics: 9/10
    Story: 8/10
    Overall: 9/10
  6. Jul 3, 2014
    Before becoming a travesty that it is today, there was the magnificence that was the first game of the series. With innovative single player, absolutely captivating multiplayer that it's newer sequels dont come even close to, it deserves to go down in history as one of the greatest first person shooters of all time.
  7. Jun 25, 2014
    Simply one of my favorite game of all time. I like this Call of Duty other than the others, it has very nice missions and a good story line. The thing I like a lot is the multiplayer, I enjoy playing it all the time. This simply is one of the best. I still play it now and I will continue playing it in the future. Again, in one word, I could say it as the best.
  8. Jun 13, 2014
    Call of Duty is a great game, with new gameplay elements, epic WW2 storyline, great sounds and more. Well, that's for the campaign, but not for the multiplayer.
  9. Feb 19, 2014
    Intense, awesome OST, original elements which make this game became a good old COD, rather than COD Ghost which make feel frustrated because of its ridiculous Sys req and boring campaign
  10. Jan 27, 2014
    If you want something better Ghosts, buy this. One of the great games from the series, it proudly resides next to 2-7, and 9 (Every Call of Duty except for MW3 & Ghosts, which are the two crappiest games in the series)
  11. Jan 8, 2014
    Except for graphics and seutorieul can not believe that 2003 production of the game! This was the beginning of it is just the best FPS games. It was really funny gamer living in Korea.
  12. Nov 27, 2013
    This is sadly enough one of the best games in the franchise. The newer ones are you copies of the older games. This one and 2 are the best ones in my opinion!
  13. Mar 8, 2013
    They say that the original is usually the best. Now, it may not be the best in the Call of Duty series, but I believe it is in the Top 3. The game features many exciting levels in a very lengthy campaign to give one of the best WWII single player experiences out there. I highly recommend checking out the Call of Duty WWII set for tons of fun and the games that started it all.
  14. Dec 7, 2012
    This game is very good and well done compared to Modern Warfare 3 and the new Call of Duty games in general. You really do need to but this game. Like now.
  15. May 18, 2012
    Comical to play your friend in a map and pwn him all day. The re-play value was there, the maps were more comical than good, and this was a must have back in the day. Call of Duty 3 is another story, but this game was one of my first shooters that allowed you to kill and die 100 times in 5 minutes. lol
  16. May 16, 2012
    Call of Duty is a solid game, and with some great graphics. Even if this game is old, I was amaze by the graphics. It is with a fun campaign, and with a great multiplayer. It just needed to have a better story. (9.4)
  17. May 14, 2012
    Single player is rubbish.
    Multiplayer is rubbish.
    Graphics for 2003 game: oh my god how bad they are. Half life 2 and Doom 3 came half year later, look their graphics.
    So: sp 2/10 mp 2/10 graphics: 1/10 sound 2/10 musics 5/10
    Sorry CoD fans.
  18. Feb 28, 2012
    Many people try to compare this to the super-modern versions of Call of Duty. However, this game is a definite must-have. The characters are genius- you take them seriously and you can imagine them to be real. The weapons (although not a great range of them) are operated very realistically and are highly detailed* to the flash and even the sound. The battles are very close to realMany people try to compare this to the super-modern versions of Call of Duty. However, this game is a definite must-have. The characters are genius- you take them seriously and you can imagine them to be real. The weapons (although not a great range of them) are operated very realistically and are highly detailed* to the flash and even the sound. The battles are very close to real historical battles (e.g: Battle of Stalingrad) and they develop very interestingly. The graphics are convincing as well as the storyline. The multiplayer is not as strong as the singleplayer campaign although still thouroughly enjoyable. It is now a bit scarcely played throughout the world so you will have to compete against computerised bots quite a lot. The maps are diverse as well as the types of play.

*Except for the Sten MK2 which is very plain.
  19. Dec 30, 2011
    One of the best FPS games in the world war especially for the teen player. Good graphics, gameplay, sound, music, story and of course... less blood. No other COD game would most likely to own this one.
  20. Dec 22, 2011
    Smooth controls, animations and gameplay are the good things about this game. Bad things- multiplayer is without substance and non cheaters. Single player got so boring I literally forced myself through it. A waste of time. If you want a WWII shooter CoD2 or BF1942 are the way to go.
  21. Dec 10, 2011
    The first ever Call of Duty has many elements which the newer CoD games keep coming back to, or just simply lost. The graphics might not look appealing today, and the AIs might look stupid, but this is where it all started, and look at how many good aspects of the game were simply lost as they kept making new games. For example, consider the battle of Starlinglad from the Russian campaign.The first ever Call of Duty has many elements which the newer CoD games keep coming back to, or just simply lost. The graphics might not look appealing today, and the AIs might look stupid, but this is where it all started, and look at how many good aspects of the game were simply lost as they kept making new games. For example, consider the battle of Starlinglad from the Russian campaign. Do we have that 'Victory or Death' charge with epic music in modern CoDs? No. Or the health pack system? No, these days you're an invincible sponge capable of soaking up millions of rounds. In terms of gameplay, this first CoD is still comparable or significantly better than the newer CoDs. Just play it if you haven't done so yet. Expand
  22. Dec 1, 2011
    It's an ok shooter. I found it to be a cross between Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, both of which provided a much better gameplay experience. Fighting as the Russians was the highlight of CoD which provided a hint of originality. Beyond that, there was nothing that jumped out as an experience worth remembering.
  23. Nov 2, 2011
    This is where it all started folks! Though the aging stalwart may not have the narrative drive or epic setpieces of more modern COD games, that does nothing to take away the fact that Call of Duty is a slick and awsome thrill ride start to finish. The campaign throws the player into just about every scenario you could hope for; with a simple and fun multiplayer to accompany it that is sureThis is where it all started folks! Though the aging stalwart may not have the narrative drive or epic setpieces of more modern COD games, that does nothing to take away the fact that Call of Duty is a slick and awsome thrill ride start to finish. The campaign throws the player into just about every scenario you could hope for; with a simple and fun multiplayer to accompany it that is sure to keep you engaged for ages. Expand
  24. Oct 20, 2011
    I remember when this was the best graphics and gameplay ... Almost started crying when i saw the old details. I really love this game. But i think the new games are lowsey, and only a money machine.

-Anders
  25. Jul 17, 2011
    It can be said that Call of Duty is the founding father of today's modern First-Person war shooters. It is a Classic. One Of The greatest video games of all time, and dare I say, the best PC Game of all time. Despite its few flaws, and sometimes laggy gameplay, Call Of Duty not only enriches the FPS Experience, it also inspires alot of their fans to go forward and not be afraid. For aIt can be said that Call of Duty is the founding father of today's modern First-Person war shooters. It is a Classic. One Of The greatest video games of all time, and dare I say, the best PC Game of all time. Despite its few flaws, and sometimes laggy gameplay, Call Of Duty not only enriches the FPS Experience, it also inspires alot of their fans to go forward and not be afraid. For a First Person Shooter Game, this is rare as nowadays you have franchises like Battlefield and the Tom Clancy series that gets to the point and never has that much depth in the story. Call Of Duty does. In fact, story is what makes up this game. Like a TV Drama, it draws you in, taking you back to relive the tragedy, greed, despair, hope and glory of what was the Second World War in Europe. No doubt about it, may not be a perfect game, but it is a True Classic. Have you got a PC? Get Call Of Duty off eBay or some retro VG Store near you, because if you don't have it, you're not a true PC Gamer. Expand
  26. Jun 8, 2011
    hey all love call of duty but I need to find the best one rated T or less for the pc is this the best one? please let me know a.s.a.p.
  27. Jan 11, 2011
    Though the SP was surprisingly short, I think it holds up quite well at the dawn of 2011 if you like solid, atmospheric FPSes. The beginning of the American campaign is a perfect companion to the Band of Brothers tv series, and the apocalyptic Stalingrad campaign was eerie and tense. I didn't care as much for the secret agent british campaign, but like all the levels, its all over quicklyThough the SP was surprisingly short, I think it holds up quite well at the dawn of 2011 if you like solid, atmospheric FPSes. The beginning of the American campaign is a perfect companion to the Band of Brothers tv series, and the apocalyptic Stalingrad campaign was eerie and tense. I didn't care as much for the secret agent british campaign, but like all the levels, its all over quickly enough.

I'm really glad I went back and revisited this classic.

Rated 8 for a good game that i'd recommend to anyone thats okay with slightly dated FPS gaming.
  28. jonv
    Apr 3, 2009
    For its time it was truly one of the best shooters ever made.
  29. [anonymous]
    Oct 10, 2008
    It didn't bring much new to the table out-of-the-box, but it did perfect the PC (arcade-influenced) shooter.
  30. KenS.
    Mar 24, 2008
    It is simply the best Multiplayer Game ever. There isn't a game who can even nearly copy the style of it.
  31. JoeM.
    Nov 27, 2007
    First let me say that this game is way better than any Medal of Honor game. It has awesome graphics and control. Enemy AI is okay. They're not the brightest but when they get you in their sight you'll know it. The gameplay flows smoothly with very little stuttering. The checkpoints you come to are placed where they are supposed to be and make since. Most missions you will have First let me say that this game is way better than any Medal of Honor game. It has awesome graphics and control. Enemy AI is okay. They're not the brightest but when they get you in their sight you'll know it. The gameplay flows smoothly with very little stuttering. The checkpoints you come to are placed where they are supposed to be and make since. Most missions you will have allies. Your allies can die! The first game where your allies actually can die but are of use. Unlike in Medal of Honor where your allies couldn't die but didnt do anything right. This game is great with a great story and awesome environments. There is an awesome array of environments to enjoy. Everything from the jeep rides to the sabatoge missions will keep you playing and playing for hours. The online is also great. There is a great variety of areas to fight in. BUY THIS GAME!!! Expand
  32. MikeR.
    Oct 1, 2007
    This game really needs two ratings: one for its singleplayer and another for its multiplayer. I would give its singleplayer a 9 because it was really well done and overall really well done (with the exception of the Stalingrad part, where the only research done was watching Enemy at the Gates). The storming of the Reichstag was a lot of fun and overall a really great ending for the game. This game really needs two ratings: one for its singleplayer and another for its multiplayer. I would give its singleplayer a 9 because it was really well done and overall really well done (with the exception of the Stalingrad part, where the only research done was watching Enemy at the Gates). The storming of the Reichstag was a lot of fun and overall a really great ending for the game. As for the multiplayer, I would rate it a five since it's not horrible, but really bland. However, it should be noted that the expansion fixes this and makes it a lot of fun. Overall, a great game. Expand
  33. Adrian
    May 7, 2007
    A great game, both Single and Multilayer. The game doesn't need a high-spec PC, and the graphics still look as good as some latest games.
  34. BeatifulM.
    Mar 23, 2007
    This game is one of the best WW2 Shooter Games I have ever played! Respect Activision!
  35. ThomasP.
    Jan 4, 2007
    This game is freakin awesome and for some reason runs way smoother on my PC than Counter-Strike 1.6! and the graphics are go good and it doesn't require much to play it, 10.
  36. AlexanderV.
    Dec 22, 2006
    Great for on-line multiplayer, good graphics and above all phenominal gameplay make this game a classic. It has also enjoyed considerable success at major international LAN events (which is more than can be said for its successor, Call of Duty 2).
  37. KasperB.
    Dec 21, 2006
    This one hell of a shooter. Addictive. When you start it is hard to stop. Always a good sign for a game.
  38. V-Man
    Dec 19, 2006
    A brilliant mix of everything you would ever want from a world war 2 game. The only thing I found lacking was mored multipalyer modes and it was missing a good D-Day mission, otherwise this game would've been perfect.
  39. BlazingArrow
    Oct 25, 2006
    Indeed. Cannot beat the best. It plays on alot of computers, too. Still alive in terms of multiplayer (1300+). DOD and BF1942 suck in terms of realism and true WWII warfare.
  40. MikkoV.
    Sep 29, 2006
    Just brilliant. No more rambo WW2 games like Call of duty. Ai is good, so is the graphics and sounds. Story is just marvelous.
  41. JakeK.
    Apr 20, 2006
    I think this is probably one of the best games world war 2 games i have ever played. It beats the medal of honer series by miles. I prey to god that there is going to be a 3rd one. i really want to play the 2nd one but i havent got a chance.
  42. AnonymousMC
    Oct 17, 2005
    Wow. This game is simply amazing. People call it linear...who cares. It's incredibly realistic to the real thing in my opinion, and also the greatest WWII shooter besides maybe Brothers in Arms (which is also amazing, by the way) . Graphics are very very good (guys on your team get shadows under their eyes after you've been staying up defending a town all night). Just amazinglyWow. This game is simply amazing. People call it linear...who cares. It's incredibly realistic to the real thing in my opinion, and also the greatest WWII shooter besides maybe Brothers in Arms (which is also amazing, by the way) . Graphics are very very good (guys on your team get shadows under their eyes after you've been staying up defending a town all night). Just amazingly intense and realistic. Guys who say the AI is stupid need to turn up the difficulty then, it's just so well done that there really isn't anything bad to say about it besides its size (despite saying it has 24 levels, each of the levels take about 10 minutes average) so you'll play this nice thing for about 4 hours. Probably going to get the expansion tomorrow. Expand
  43. Mike
    Aug 2, 2005
    In all honesty, I can't see what all the fuss is about. For the most part, it feels almost precisely like any old arcade shooter.
  44. CharlieW.
    Jul 31, 2005
    Freaking amazing. I was shaking for hours first time i played it.
  45. JM
    Jun 18, 2005
    The person who gave this a zero has no soul and is a big D@#$#^&!@# and has never played this game (as goes for all those who don't give this a good score). This game is truly a good single player and an awesome multiplayer. This makes even Allied Assault lokk like crap. This is the Half Life 2 of its time.
  46. Chris
    Apr 26, 2005
    blooming briliant on multiplayer. Beter that battle field veiatnam. recomend to buy (top notch!!!!)
  47. DionH.
    Apr 2, 2005
    Brilliant game from start to finish.
  48. VinceB.
    Feb 26, 2005
    I love Cod the single greatest game ever cant wait for Cod2 in August of 2005.
  49. CharlieX.
    Jan 28, 2005
    One of the most intense and realistic FPS games in PC history I have ever played. A true work of art from Infinity Ward and I hope that other game developers follow this game's example, even if there are a few flaws here and there. The Quake engine for its graphics may seem outdated but I like to use the term "classic".
  50. EdwardP.
    Nov 22, 2004
    Loss for words...
  51. Chuluungombo
    Oct 10, 2004
    I still dont believe i paid 50 bucks for this crap, players look out of proportion/short legs, huge heads/,and run like crazy rabbits, SP scripted to death,damn u cant even open doors,u have to wait until someone comes over.Stalingrad mission is just ripoff from pseudohistorical movie" Enemy at the gate", almost simple walk from point A to point B, AI so dumb takes over cheating and I still dont believe i paid 50 bucks for this crap, players look out of proportion/short legs, huge heads/,and run like crazy rabbits, SP scripted to death,damn u cant even open doors,u have to wait until someone comes over.Stalingrad mission is just ripoff from pseudohistorical movie" Enemy at the gate", almost simple walk from point A to point B, AI so dumb takes over cheating and suddenly appears from nowhere.MP suck,unless u r one of those newbies running amok with machinegun. Dont buy this game,trust me it's rubbish. Expand
  52. MattG.
    Sep 16, 2004
    The game is good no doubt....but the problem is that it's to LINEAR! Plus the MP sucks.
  53. MartijnvandeV.
    Sep 5, 2004
    Nice story, good grapics, ok online mode. Bad A.I. and the single-player mode is just to short...
  54. RogerDodger
    May 6, 2004
    What a piece of crap! This game never worked on gaming P/C (Athalon 2500+ ATI 9200, 1GB RAM, 80GB W/D). Contacted Activision for support and never replied. Called, put on hold then hung up on TWICE. Don't waste your time.
  55. AndrewM.
    Apr 30, 2004
    This is the most emence action game i have ever played and i strongly recomend it to everyone.
  56. JCE
    Apr 20, 2004
    The game is LINEAR LINEAR LINEAR...you buddies will literally hang in doorways until you walk through....the enemy AI is dumb as dirt....their locations are SCRIPTED...dont believe me ? In the DAM wait and look -no enemies come....go down the stairs and they "appear there" which, unless they transported there would be impossible...don't believe it....do it again and again..... The game is LINEAR LINEAR LINEAR...you buddies will literally hang in doorways until you walk through....the enemy AI is dumb as dirt....their locations are SCRIPTED...dont believe me ? In the DAM wait and look -no enemies come....go down the stairs and they "appear there" which, unless they transported there would be impossible...don't believe it....do it again and again..... Graphics are nice... Sound is loud Game is WAY too linear... Operation Flashpoint/Ghost Recon are both superior and Americas Army online kicks a$$ compared to this......and that's an ok game...but it's FREE and has a new release soon. Expand
  57. Graham
    Apr 6, 2004
    I've been playing FPS for 10 years now, and I've never been so impressed and absorbed by any of them. This is a new level in quality of gaming. A work of genius. Enjoy!
  58. WillS.
    Mar 21, 2004
    For good graphics, decent storyline and a good flow to gameplay in single player mode, Call of Duty is a slightly better game than 1942 in that the characters and situations seem more real given AI and ambient graphics and sound. If you want an better all-round experience, including a very well developed multi-player function and replay-ability, Battlefield 1942 is a better bet. Call of For good graphics, decent storyline and a good flow to gameplay in single player mode, Call of Duty is a slightly better game than 1942 in that the characters and situations seem more real given AI and ambient graphics and sound. If you want an better all-round experience, including a very well developed multi-player function and replay-ability, Battlefield 1942 is a better bet. Call of Duty would rate much higher if it did not seem too short and if the multi-player was not so bad, which is a tremendous oversight in a new game. Still, Call of Duty mostly fulfills its promise of putting you in the middle of intense WWII action in very well designed environments. Expand
  59. Seth
    Feb 25, 2004
    Incredible....absolutely unbelievable. one of the most graphically astonishing games of its time. and if you think its too short, your wrong, if you are bored yet, play a different difficulty or somthing. wow
  60. AnonymousMC
    Feb 22, 2004
    After further online play I'd have to revise my score and give it a 4. If the multiplayer wasn't so horrible and nasty, and the singleplayer hadn't been so extreemly short, it would have scored higher. People who like WWII FPSs would do MUCH better to go out and buy Battlefield 1942.
  61. JoshO.
    Feb 14, 2004
    An excellent action game that sweeps you up and keeps you inthrolled in the intesne world of 1944
  62. DeaconB.
    Feb 4, 2004
    The single play was brilliant, I loved it, but it was way too short. The multiplayer could possibly be good if there was a way to get rid of all the cheating scum.
  63. ChrisT.
    Jan 24, 2004
    I still like MOH:AA better, the movement and feeling is more realistic. What makes COD excelent is its sound and graphics, but still I don't feel as good as mohaa, I passed the stalingrad level, that's the only level I felt intense, before and after that just shallow and boring feeling.
  64. Chimp
    Jan 19, 2004
    The American campaign dominates MOHAA, so does the british even though it isnt as fun(except for pegasus bridge, but after that the dam and so forth was still excellent but not as good) and RUSSIA!!!! The Russian campaign is sooo amazing, you cant but help feeling commie feelings in you. FOR THE MOTHERLAND! red square is sooo cool! i am strongly against nazis and i love shooting them, but The American campaign dominates MOHAA, so does the british even though it isnt as fun(except for pegasus bridge, but after that the dam and so forth was still excellent but not as good) and RUSSIA!!!! The Russian campaign is sooo amazing, you cant but help feeling commie feelings in you. FOR THE MOTHERLAND! red square is sooo cool! i am strongly against nazis and i love shooting them, but i think that the expansion pack for this game(im sure there will be one) should have a german campaign, no other games have really done that yet. buy this game today! Expand
  65. Liam
    Jan 16, 2004
    This game is the best game i have ever played in my life.
  66. MonkeyWeasel
    Jan 5, 2004
    This is a great game with fun weapons and great single player action but if you want a good multyplayer nothing beats battlefield 1942.
  67. JaysonPaulZ.
    Jan 4, 2004
    The best FPS game that i played since MOHAA i cant wait for the sequel, but hey wait where is the expansion?
  68. AnonymousMC
    Jan 3, 2004
    Re. single player: While it lasts this is the best WWII FPS to date; it's an incremental improvment on MOHAA in almost every area. The most impressive aspect of the game is that it gives a strong sense of the facts of life (and death) for an infantryman; stick your head up in front of an MG42 in this game and you'll get it shot off! On the down side the game is simply tooRe. single player: While it lasts this is the best WWII FPS to date; it's an incremental improvment on MOHAA in almost every area. The most impressive aspect of the game is that it gives a strong sense of the facts of life (and death) for an infantryman; stick your head up in front of an MG42 in this game and you'll get it shot off! On the down side the game is simply too short - it took me only 10 hours to complete - and the linear, scripted nature occasionally becomes too obvious.

Re. multiplayer: No comment, that's not my thing.
  69. AnonymousMC
    Jan 2, 2004
    I totally agreee with tHe >mAsTeR< on this one...ivan, you either have a sub-pentiumI running DOS, or there's a belgium waffle stuck where your processor should be...this game is a total insult to all MoH titles currently in existance as it goes where MoH never could in all areas of gameplay. Remember the D-Day landing in Frontline? It sucked! The beach was tiny, there were 4-5 MGsI totally agreee with tHe >mAsTeR< on this one...ivan, you either have a sub-pentiumI running DOS, or there's a belgium waffle stuck where your processor should be...this game is a total insult to all MoH titles currently in existance as it goes where MoH never could in all areas of gameplay. Remember the D-Day landing in Frontline? It sucked! The beach was tiny, there were 4-5 MGs firing at you, and there were no more than 15 guys on the beach at any time. Now tilt that beach upward to about 50 degrees, add a bunch more guns, a crapload of russians charging up with guns and flags, and beautiful graphics, and you've got...the Russian mission charging up the docks at the Volga River! This game is possibly the greatest FPS WWII-genre ever, and I can only hope that it continues with more expansions just as MoH did. Expand
  70. FredM.
    Dec 31, 2003
    Single player is amazing. One of the most immersive WWII experiences ever created. The multiplayer sucks shaft. Bunnie hopping idiots, and small maps, make it kind of weak. For those of you that think this is a good multiplayer game....you have obviously never played Black Hawk Down.
  71. MatthewF.
    Dec 30, 2003
    Absolutley amazing! Never have I been so impressed with a FPS in my life. I recommend this game to anyone, and the multiplayer mode is best of the year for sure.
  72. Simba
    Dec 30, 2003
    Quite simply the most fun PC game for years.
  73. MichalW.
    Dec 22, 2003
    I have finished Call Of Duty today and I must say it's amazing. It's so intense, has so great atmosphere and it's so well done that I just can't believe it! I haven't played DX: Invisible War yet, but among other candidates Call Of Duty seem to be GAME OF THE YEAR for me.
  74. BitBurn
    Dec 17, 2003
    Sweeeet!!!! Excellent game.
  75. NealG.
    Dec 16, 2003
    Hands down, the best first person WWII combat game ever. The only thing preventing me from giving it a 10 is the inclusion of the Russian perspective....would rather have seen expanded USA and British missions. One could do a whole add on game for the Russian troop perspective. But, controls easy to master, fluid gameplay, and great graphics - along with some of the best AI I have seen in Hands down, the best first person WWII combat game ever. The only thing preventing me from giving it a 10 is the inclusion of the Russian perspective....would rather have seen expanded USA and British missions. One could do a whole add on game for the Russian troop perspective. But, controls easy to master, fluid gameplay, and great graphics - along with some of the best AI I have seen in single player gaming - make this a fantastic game. Expand
  76. AnonymousMC
    Dec 16, 2003
    nothing truly revolutionary. not a nextgen game. AI is ok, nothing special, they really don't seem to be working in team just merely hiding a lot and peeking around corners. the game is just a big scripted sequence fest IMHO. A rather good one nonetheless
    It is fun to play though through once but I just don't see myself going to back to it again and again. Like I did with battlefield 1942 multiplayer.
  77. RobR.
    Dec 4, 2003
    Call of Duty's single-player campaign was the most intense gaming experience I'd ever had on the PC. Unfortunately it is disappointingly short (I completed it in about 2 days) and the multiplay is lackluster. The game looks and plays beautifully, and is a truly immersive and has an awesome cinematic feel. In my book, CoD is the equivalent of a couple "Band of Brothers" episodes.
  78. MariaT.
    Dec 1, 2003
    I don't understand how anyone (read: Guido) can say that this game lacks realism. The only knock on this game is that it's too short, but that's by definition a good criticism, since if it had been a poor game, it would have felt too long. The action is intense and immersive, and while I've never been a fan of multiplay (too many jerks, too many server dumps), I don't understand how anyone (read: Guido) can say that this game lacks realism. The only knock on this game is that it's too short, but that's by definition a good criticism, since if it had been a poor game, it would have felt too long. The action is intense and immersive, and while I've never been a fan of multiplay (too many jerks, too many server dumps), it's been pretty fun as well. Expand
  79. GuidoL.
    Nov 30, 2003
    Don't believe the hype! The Sp is extremely short while the Mp is ridiculous due to the suckers who like to jump like bunnies to avoid the bullets they deserve. It lacks realism and it's not worth ur money.
  80. IzZo
    Nov 29, 2003
    Ever wished there was a game that realistically reconstructed a war, filled with gunfire everywhere, somethin like saving private ryan? well here is ur chance 2 get as close 2 da action withowt actually bein in a real-life battlefield! neat graphics, incredible attention 2 detail, its tough and u may die alot, but i reckon its a small price 2 pay 4 takin part in an addicitive realistic Ever wished there was a game that realistically reconstructed a war, filled with gunfire everywhere, somethin like saving private ryan? well here is ur chance 2 get as close 2 da action withowt actually bein in a real-life battlefield! neat graphics, incredible attention 2 detail, its tough and u may die alot, but i reckon its a small price 2 pay 4 takin part in an addicitive realistic action game, i cant believe there would b people who hate this game...must b those damn peace luvahs...n-e-way tis a good attempt by activision, much better than MOH...if u worship dat game, i cant c y u wont luv this one Expand
  81. ZackO.
    Nov 29, 2003
    Wow what a great game. Perhaps this is the best WWII game ever to be made. Its like being inside the show Band of Brothers, with bullets and artillery whooshing past you and seeing your buddies get shot evrywhere. Single Player is awesome, but what makes it spectacular is the Addictive multiplayer. Once i log on to a server, ill stay on for hours.
  82. MatthieuR.
    Nov 24, 2003
    Great fun. The action is very immersive, loud and surrounds you at all times. The voice acting is superb, and the mission design is usually really good (I didn't like the boat level, but that's it). The AI is the best in any WWII game, or shooter, for that matter. The baddies duck and cover, snap up to fire a shot and run for cover again. I actually played cat and mouse with a Great fun. The action is very immersive, loud and surrounds you at all times. The voice acting is superb, and the mission design is usually really good (I didn't like the boat level, but that's it). The AI is the best in any WWII game, or shooter, for that matter. The baddies duck and cover, snap up to fire a shot and run for cover again. I actually played cat and mouse with a stormtrooper around a pillar! My only complaints: 1)Too short (though that's more a sign of how good the game is) 2)Too linear; I was spoiled by games like BF1942 where you can do anything you want, or Morrowind, where you can go anywhere. Those complaints are minor, though, as I had a blast playing it through the first time around, and can't wait to play it again! Expand
    Nov 22, 2003
    Phenomenal.
  84. Owl
    Nov 20, 2003
    Hands down the best fps ever! Amazingly immersive. It's the closest I ever want to get to being in a war. The Stalingrad levels are simply riveting. When you see the human wave of soviet soldiers rushing onward all around you. You just drop your jaw in disbelief and charge forward. Thank you Infinity Ward for crafting a masterpiece of PC gaming goodness!
  85. JaniK.
    Nov 20, 2003
    Short but rocks like a thunder.
  86. MedicJ.
    Nov 18, 2003
    Some people are saying that this game comes no were near MOHAA. I think it surpasses it on all standerds. The sound is crisp and clear, I can understand everything my squad leader is saying to me. The graphics are clear and crisp. I still havent found a glitch in the game, and iv been playing it for a while now. And I like the fact that it uses real startegies like trying to flank an Some people are saying that this game comes no were near MOHAA. I think it surpasses it on all standerds. The sound is crisp and clear, I can understand everything my squad leader is saying to me. The graphics are clear and crisp. I still havent found a glitch in the game, and iv been playing it for a while now. And I like the fact that it uses real startegies like trying to flank an enemy or giving suppresing fire. In my opinion, there is a new king of FPS and its name is Call of Duty. Expand
  87. Joe
    Nov 17, 2003
    The claim to fame of this game is supposed to be immersiveness and adrenaline-pumping action. While it provides the latter, immersive it is not, especially at the higher difficulty levels. I spent far too many levels saving the game every 1-2 minutes, along with constant reloads due to repetitive trial and error. That type of gaming doesn't tend to be very immersive. This game had The claim to fame of this game is supposed to be immersiveness and adrenaline-pumping action. While it provides the latter, immersive it is not, especially at the higher difficulty levels. I spent far too many levels saving the game every 1-2 minutes, along with constant reloads due to repetitive trial and error. That type of gaming doesn't tend to be very immersive. This game had major potential, but I think it's telling that I was EXCITED when the game was finally over. Expand
  88. ClintR.
    Nov 16, 2003
    I love this game it is awesome. I would suggest buying it if you don't already have it. Great game worth the money I spent on it :) NONE :)
  89. ClaudioOlivastri
    Nov 16, 2003
    The best fps pf this year, the only defect is that it is a very short game. it takes only 10 or 12 hours to finish it.
  90. MiikaAli-V.
    Nov 14, 2003
    BEST.
  91. S.Sniper
    Nov 13, 2003
    A good game, better than MOHAA. It's one of the better WW2 shooters I've played. It's like Return To Castle Wolfenstein, only the story-line isn't as intense. But overall a good peice.
  92. Sami
    Nov 11, 2003
    EXCELLENT!!!
  93. DaveN.
    Nov 10, 2003
    Fun game, but not the end-all be-all that everyone is making it out to be. The whole thing is over in about 6 hours for one thing. More than half of the levels are just going room to room killing guys who are standing around waiting for you to get there. There are some great levels, but the game on the whole is only so-so.
  94. TheOutsider
    Nov 10, 2003
    Amazing! This game is the most addictive game since Counter Strike. The graphics are good, the sonds are amazing the story is ok but the fun and frantic gameplay makes up for the lack thereof. The excitement is awesome, the action never seems to stop. A great game, definitely worth the money.
  95. PatrickJ.
    Nov 8, 2003
    Playing this game you feel like being in the HBO, Band of Brothers series. Graphics and gameplay are very good. When you go back to MOH or Battlefield 1942 you notice these games are outdated, and Call of Duty is the new king of WW2 shooters.
  96. JohnM.
    Nov 6, 2003
    It is somewhere in between MOHAA and BF1942. Very action packed with fantastic graphics and sound. It is not as scripted as MOHAA, but that is not to say it is a free for all like Battlefield. I was hoping for more flexibility - why can't I steal a tank?!
  97. JinxterL.
    Nov 6, 2003
    This must be the best WW2 shooter ever. It`s not only the graphics and sounds, but also the gameplay is lightyears better than in MOHAA. This game creates very solid atmosphere, all ruined villages, weapons, clothes, voices and action is very close to real thing. If you are WW2 addicted like me, or if you just happen to like fpshooters, get a copy of this jewel. You won`t regret it =)
  98. DavidR.
    Nov 5, 2003
    It's a very good game, but, coming after Max Payne 2, I want something more. The entire game feels scripted to death, and a lot of the time is spent just holding down the fire button and waving the mouse wildly. I like it a LOT, but it kinda gives me the sh.ts. If you know what I mean. newfers
  99. J.J.
    Nov 5, 2003
    Pretty decent game, a little on the short side only 7 hours to beat and that included alot of mucking around. Also there wasn't much of a story line. Also i would have liked to have seen stats after i had beaten the game, enemy's killed, accuracy, dmg given/taken etc..

1. However, taking away all the glamour, polish and hype this title has, what you’ll be presented with is rather linear game with fairly limited replay ability. We did however find the single player campaigns surprisingly short.
  2. Call of Duty is going to turn heads. It looks amazing, the action is fierce, and the multiplayer game is balanced, with plenty of diverse settings. [Jan 2004, p.58]
    The most intensive war action first person shooter combat title yet. I have not played a single-player experience that is as immersive and intense as the one in Call of Duty.