7.2

1. Dec 25, 2012
    Perhaps the game's most redeeming qualities from my view are the fantastic soundtrack and very unique style of graphics. When combined, those two qualities give a nice, atmospheric feel to the game and you do truly feel like you're on another planet. I also enjoyed the impressive arsenal of weaponry that the player can use throughout the game, as each weapon was unique and interesting. ThePerhaps the game's most redeeming qualities from my view are the fantastic soundtrack and very unique style of graphics. When combined, those two qualities give a nice, atmospheric feel to the game and you do truly feel like you're on another planet. I also enjoyed the impressive arsenal of weaponry that the player can use throughout the game, as each weapon was unique and interesting. The enemies were somewhat diverse and interesting as well. Having said all that, why a score of 7? Well, despite these impressive qualities, Capsized has a few noticeable downfalls. First and foremost are the controls. Most of the time it was impossible to actually -control- the playable character the way you wanted to. Whenever you moved, it seemed like he'd always glide, slide, or float away. I know the setting is a planet with a low gravity, but still, when I want him to stop, I expect him to stop, otherwise moving around and especially aiming at the enemies becomes a nightmare. And yes, aiming was already tricky to begin with since the crosshair's sensitivity is strange and some of the time it blends in with the background, so you don't even see where you're shooting until you start seeing your bullets fly out of your gun. I tried to play with a gamepad as well, but that doesn't make it any easier. Another issue I want to tackle is concerning the gameplay. I noticed the difficulty was a bit unbalanced. The first 2-3 levels were really easy and then suddenly on the next level after that the difficulty goes way up. Most of the challenge seemed to involve you taking a step into a wide open area only to suddenly be swarmed by dozens of enemies from all sides, one of which would always grab you and drag you to another corner of the map, making sure to aggravate every other enemy on the map in the process. I admit that can be fun at times, especially if you want to mess around and see how many enemies you can kill before they grind you into pieces, but that doesn't really translate to a good gameplay. And lastly I'll also mention that for some unknown reason the game crashes when I try to load the final level. Everything worked perfectly and the game played fine in the first 11 stages, but the last stage consistently crashes to desktop whenever I try to play it. I checked for some fixes online, and I saw that there were other people who had the same issue as well, but so far no solutions whatsoever. Overall Capsized is not a bad game. It's well worth a try, because it does not fail to deliver on the fun aspect (even if it is short lived), and apart from the campaign, there are also other features, such as deathmatch against bots, and so on (although you have to unlock those features by doing well on the campaign), but despite having a good presentation and basics of gameplay, there is nothing much else to the game. If you're expecting miracles or hours of gameplay, you won't find them here. Expand
  2. Mar 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I would give an easy 7.5 for this game, but (SPOILERS AHEAD SAILOR!!!!) the final boss made it go down to a 6.

Only made an metacritic account because of the final stage of this game. It's final boss it's absolutelly ridiculous. It feels like they didn't play it themselves. First of all, the "no gravity" factor it's cool, but the whole game you been trying to master the maneuverability of your character and that counts for NOTHING on the final level/boss. The scenary you are at is also not suitable for a boss fight of this proportion. The dude is huge and the place doesn't give you space enough to try and dodge his attacks been forced to either throw em back or wasting your flamethrower's secondary fire. Also, he "hides" behind the maps structure, where you cannot hit him. He just stops there and start spaming minions and, btw, that is the only time you can actually do damage to him (on the second creature that is). The last form/creature exploding projectile is a bad taste joke. You can't barelly pick it up, he is already tossing another one at you.

Okay, overall, I had fun. The 3 first stages are bloody easy, and then it suddenly got realy hard. It's ok, I like hard games, i'm a battletoads fan, but, Capsized makes me feel like, doesn't matter what I do, I will need luck to beat the final boss, not skill. It's hard to say good things abuout this game been so mad at it as I am right now, but it deserves some credict on a phew aspects. The enviroment is AMAZING, Until you get used to the surroundings, you start shotting everything that moves, 'cause everthing feels hostile in this planet. Which is good in my opinion, because, well, it's an unkown alien planet, it SHOULD feel that unpredictable. The music is also cool, although after a while I got tired of it, I think it might please most of the people who play the game.
    Weapons, well, they are cool and I can't say that they don't serve different purposes, but I used the first weapon through most of the game (it's secondary fire is amazing).

Well, it's an nice game on the visuals, but kinda "ok" on the gameplay on my vision. One thing I am sure of: I am NEVER EVER buying a game from Alien Trap again because of that enerving boss fight.
  3. Jun 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's a good looking game. Cool ideas for weapons and power-ups. Physics are fun at first but became awkward pretty quickly. Forgot to use the jet-pack half the time, didn't really need it with such low gravity
    Controls were difficult to get used to.

FINAL LEVEL WAS RIDICULOUS.

Didn't complete the game because of it. Maybe I'm just not good enough, either way it took away from the experience.
  4. Apr 22, 2012
    The game is beautiful. But if you are looking for something more than visuals - look somewhere else. This game is a simple sidescroller - nothing more unfortunately, even if you factor in the physics engine. Weapon system is awkward - why make it so hard to choose a weapon? Unlike BRAID - this game is just a sidescroller with pretty graphics.
  5. Aug 8, 2012
    Even though the physics-based gameplay can be clumsy or frustrating at times, Capsized still offers an enjoyable platforming adventure. Local co-op/deathmatch and Steam achievements leave much more to do after the 6h completion time.
  6. Aug 26, 2011
    Be aware that the game's music does not work for me, and for some others (check the Steam forum). It seems to also prevent the game's end credits from being displayed. It's a good game, but those two music related bugs are too serious to overlook. Despite that very serious bug, Capsized manages to charm with its artwork and action packed levels. It is of adequate length, without gettingBe aware that the game's music does not work for me, and for some others (check the Steam forum). It seems to also prevent the game's end credits from being displayed. It's a good game, but those two music related bugs are too serious to overlook. Despite that very serious bug, Capsized manages to charm with its artwork and action packed levels. It is of adequate length, without getting too repetitive. The physics of the game, in addition to the artwork is also a memorable highlight in this indie title. It took me about 6 hours to complete. Expand
  7. Dec 28, 2013
    A fun little game, I just wish it were longer (took me about 2.5hr to complete). It has well balanced difficulty and (partly granted because of its short length) new things to introduce pretty consistently throughout the game. It has a cool concept and is a good game to get if it's on sale, and you don't want to commit too much to playing through a long and tough game. I got it on sale soA fun little game, I just wish it were longer (took me about 2.5hr to complete). It has well balanced difficulty and (partly granted because of its short length) new things to introduce pretty consistently throughout the game. It has a cool concept and is a good game to get if it's on sale, and you don't want to commit too much to playing through a long and tough game. I got it on sale so it was a good buy, if it's full price I may say to skip it, since it's just not enough play time for $9.99. Interesting story though, and definitely was enjoyable while it lasted. Expand
  8. Jul 20, 2013
    What stands out in Capsized is the joyous, bouncy locomotion through multiple means (running, jumping, grappling, jetpacking) that all blend together seamlessly, with surprisingly easy control. This is only hampered by a few moments of frustration where precision is required of the player than the system can provide. Level design, these moments aside, is solid, although secret areas couldWhat stands out in Capsized is the joyous, bouncy locomotion through multiple means (running, jumping, grappling, jetpacking) that all blend together seamlessly, with surprisingly easy control. This is only hampered by a few moments of frustration where precision is required of the player than the system can provide. Level design, these moments aside, is solid, although secret areas could have been handled better. Finding entrances to these requires exhaustively shooting walls over a wide area.

The structure is interesting in that equipment is crucial but none carries over between levels, making each a mini exploration quest of its own.

The hand-drawn backgrounds impress, while the game graphics underwhelm with poor animation & visibility issues. In presentation, the soundtrack really shines, succeeding better than any other aspect at keeping up the pace.

Combat is fun where aggression is rewarded & thus it integrates smoothly with locomotion, but in places where more caution is required, the enemies' own lack of aggression shows. The AI is negligible: flying enemies don't pathfind, getting stuck behind walls more often than not; an enemy with LOS to the player stands in one spot shooting forever; enemies routinely kill each other with friendly fire as more an oversight than actual mechanic.

Overall a decent little package, with emphasis on "little".
  9. Aug 4, 2013
    Reminds me a lot of the old flash game heli-attack only with a great soundtrack and beautiful backdrop, however using green enemies on a green background with clunky controls make this game feel like doing chores at an art school gallery 6.5/10

1. Dec 21, 2011
    Capsized is a surprise. A good and unexpected indie suprise that shows great art with a captivating gameplay without forgetting a great co-op. It may be a little bit too short or too difficult for some less experienced players.
    Brilliant independent platformer excels with its hand-made graphics, atmospheric music score and sophisticated physics. [July 2011]
  3. Jul 10, 2011