7.8

1. Sep 17, 2013
    I've been hooked on Card Hunter since beta. I'm hoping the game comes to mobile devices soon. The only thing I would like to see a longer campaign map.
  2. Sep 17, 2013
    This is my favorite F2P game right now. It is really addicting. You don't need to play it everyday, but once you start playing it you can't put it down. I have several friends who are also now hooked on this game.
  3. Sep 14, 2013
    This game is all kind of amazing, except one. It has lots of charm, stylish graphics, engaging rules, geeky semi-story, but all the time, it teases the player with more and more virtual things he could obtain if only he paid more and more money through micro-transactions.
  4. Sep 16, 2013
    I started playing this around the time I was playing XCOM. I couched XCOM and fell in love with this game because it was more charming and by far more challenging. The blend of a well executed turn-based game with collectible cards are wonderful and make the game enjoyable and fresh.

While I purchased the initial $25 basic set for the game, granting me access to all the missions, I have
    been pleased with the game not requiring me to purchase anything more to enjoy the game. Expand
  5. Sep 25, 2013
    long time magic fan... i still play it a lot semi-pro but this game is super dope. highly recommend it.... ohh and you can pretty much just go single player and never spend a dime. i would recomend getting the 25$ base package tought
  6. Sep 30, 2013
    This is a near-perfect game. It is a balanced blend of CCG and tabletop strategy. The game mechanics allow for a wide variety of strategies and every scenario in the SP campaign is its own little tactical puzzle to be figured out. The challenge level is spot-on, with most matches coming down to the last few survivors, cards and hit points an incredible balancing act considering the level of complexity offered by the variety of cards.

The art style and story of the game are spectacular and evoke a great deal of nostalgia for anyone who remembers the halcyon days of tabletop gaming in the 80's and 90's. This was obviously a labor of love on the part of the developers and it shows.

The addition of more content and game modes will eventually make this game a 10/10 in my opinion. Well worth playing.
  7. Sep 27, 2013
    Probably the most fun and addicting turn based game I've played yet. The loot system is great, cards are tied to items and there are many items to collect. The campaign is very long with 40 levels and an additional 11 that you can buy. The graphics are very fitting, the gameplay is very deep and will make you think hard at times. Multiplayer is fun, although it could use more modes since it only has Capture the Point for now. Overall a great game for any board game and/or turn based RPG fan. Expand
  8. Oct 14, 2013
    I gave it a try because it's free and has some positive reviews on here, I'm however not impressed.

I do like that it tried to do something new with the turn-based strategy system that is kind of hard to innovate in, but ultimately I found the gameplay boring. I think if a big gaming company got it's hands on this indy piece they could turn it into something pretty damn good.

As it
    is now though...worth trying out, not worth sticking with. Expand
  9. Sep 22, 2013
    This game must-play for CCG fans; I've been a fan of the genre since I first played MTG back in the 90ies, but I quit, because it was becoming too expensive.
    I still like to play digital CCG though, but most games are pay-to-win and offer very little content unless you spend a lot of money on them.
    Card Hunter is completely free, you can buy a "club membership" to receive 1 extra item
    after each battle, but you won't need those at all.
    The game itself is a superb grid-based tactical rpg with a lot of focus on deck-building through looting.
    Many different enemies, item combinations, strategies and a huge list of cards make sure it never becomes repetitive.
  10. Sep 18, 2013
    I had played this in the Beta and really enjoyed it. This is the most enjoyable f2p game I've ever played, it seems like the developers have gone with the approach of "Make a great game so people will want to give us money", which i have. I felt i owed it to them for making such a great game that i paid them $20. The actual game is very strategic and is a battle of wits in multiplayer. On top of this, there is far more planned content, and the developers frequently can be seen in the lobby, helping out players and getting feedback. Overall i've played through the campaign (so far, about 1/3 of what is planned) twice, and played about 500 multiplayer games, and i'm still hooked. Expand
  11. Oct 4, 2013
    Card Hunter is a CCG with items instead of a standard deck of individually-selected cards. Items function as "coupled card packs" where each item slot is an opportunity for putting new cards in a character's deck, keeping in mind that you can only equip one item (or "coupled card pack") there. You control three characters with their own decks, of which the cards have very standard CCG effects. Battles work in a standard CCG way, where you lay one card per turn, then the other person lays a card. At the end of battles you loot new equipment (rather, in a roundabout way, new "coupled card packs"). The p2w aspect is definitely there, but the pay part isn't too horribly in-your-face after the hand-holding initial section of the single-player campaign (though they definitely sell it), and the singleplayer campaign can be easily played through without needing to buy anything (at least as far as I went before quitting). This is pretty much the game if you've played a CCG, you've pretty much played this. I didn't find anything particularly exciting about it, and it didn't hold my attention. I've never had much interest in CCG, so I'll beg pardon for the negative rating, but this game did nothing to turn me into a fan of the genre, as someone who very much enjoys other subgenres of strategy games. Expand
  12. Dec 10, 2013
    Best browser game I've ever played. A great combo of role-playing and turn-based tactical combat. Although you really don't get to design characters per se, the items they equip (in the form of cards) make characters individual, with a host of battle and spell powers. The overall 'story' of the game is kind of hilarious, as you find yourself a player to a DM (Dungeon Master) controlled by the computer. This DM is about as geeky as they come, but combined with the graphical style of literally looking down at a 'table top', complete with grid-based dungeons the whole thing just totally works. Yes, the game is free to play. Yes, you can buy much more uber gear with real money, but even if you only run through the campaign without spending a dime, you will have had a blast, and for free. This one's a must. A gem that is truly unique. I can't believe this is a browser game. Play it! Expand
  13. Dec 10, 2013
    Very good turn based RPG (with cards). Nice graphics and pretty good gameplay (with enough strategy involved in boss fights). It's problem though, is playability through time. I got really over-excited in the beginning, but after 3-4 days I was bored and pretty much abandoned it. I must note that I didn't want to pay any real money so I only saw the "free" part of it. I think that after some refinement, it can become a real success Expand
  14. Nov 14, 2013
    Table Top Gaming is always a win, especially RPGs like D&D. This game is fantastic it includes good story telling and strategy. I hope to see more like this truly a game well made.

1. Dec 25, 2013
    Those interested in CCGs, but slightly daunted by endless rule sets, will find Card Hunter the perfect place to be. [Jan 2014, p.83]
  2. Nov 11, 2013
    A must play for SRPG fans and wistfully nostalgic D&D enthusiasts.
  3. Nov 6, 2013
    Card Hunter is anything but inconsequential. It’s a top tier turn-based tactics game, a secret TCG, and the first RPG I’ve ever played to make a virtue of a generic fantasy setting. It’s the inspired XCOM variant that Space Hulk seems to have turned out not to be.