7.1

1. Jan 12, 2013
    Cargo Commander makes the player raid cargo containers that float through space by first attracting them to the space station the player resides in and then forcing said player to find a way in before a wormhole destroys the container and forces the player to find shelter inside the space station. Once inside a container, the player loots and shoots until the containers have been clearedCargo Commander makes the player raid cargo containers that float through space by first attracting them to the space station the player resides in and then forcing said player to find a way in before a wormhole destroys the container and forces the player to find shelter inside the space station. Once inside a container, the player loots and shoots until the containers have been cleared so that the process can be repeated again. In the mean time, you'll find new weapons, enemies and you'll be able to purchase upgrades that last temporarily. Unfortunately, as a platform game, Cargo Commander just isn't any fun. It plays smoothly but has a tendency of obscuring your view, its graphics are sub-par to other, even older, platform games and although it has some charm, it did not manage to captivate me. The weapons are boring, the enemies uninspired and the containers all look the same after a short while. Expand
  2. Nov 26, 2012
    I'm very disappointed by the use of a strange type of Alway On DRM in this game. When not connected to the internet you can play the game, but you can't make any progress. You can't ever get to the next level. To unlock new levels you have to play in "Normal Mode" (online) as opposed to "Local Mode", as the makers call it. There are also severe bugs that mean you can't play the gameI'm very disappointed by the use of a strange type of Alway On DRM in this game. When not connected to the internet you can play the game, but you can't make any progress. You can't ever get to the next level. To unlock new levels you have to play in "Normal Mode" (online) as opposed to "Local Mode", as the makers call it. There are also severe bugs that mean you can't play the game directly from Steam on Mac, but have to locate the application folder and run it directly. Apart from that, the game is OK. The game is novel with the way the level gets built around you as containers crash into your ship, every container having it's own gravity, and being able to make short leaps through open space. But after you've seen all that in the first five minutes, the game becomes very, very repetitive. Expand
  3. Feb 11, 2015
    I'll cross post from steam as that doesn't seem to be working right now.

This fails the important "Would I have paid for it if I'd payed a demo" test, which is a shame considering I forked out the thick end of £7 on what looked like a great (and more importantly deep) game. It's fun for 10 minutes at a time, and you can get used to the fast pace dictated by the wormhole mechanic,
    I'll cross post from steam as that doesn't seem to be working right now.

It's fun for 10 minutes at a time, and you can get used to the fast pace dictated by the wormhole mechanic, even if it isn't my first choice of play style. However the game mechanics are an inch deep, there is very little variety in the content and it soon gets boring. The saddest thing about it is that it's another "indie" game built on a solid idea, with great potential, that gets pushed out the door half baked as soon as it reaches the point that people would pay money for it (the grand total of 2 music tracks is very telling in that regard)

2 years post launch it's also not entirely bug free, containers are generated with inaccessible sections, something has eaten one of my sector passes (which are a stupid idea anyway, why limit players to 2 new areas at a time?) my score is no longer displayed and the game occasionally freezes. Pushed out unfinished, and left to rot on steam, can I have my money back?

1. Feb 14, 2013
    Cargo Commander does a lot of things right. When the risk of getting cargo mixes with the need to return to your home cube it’s an exciting feeling. It requires you to think of how you’re going to get through the more difficult cubes in order to get the big cargo reward. Unfortunately, the game’s repetition and unchanging structure keep it from capitalizing on its strong foundation.
  2. Jan 6, 2013
    An interesting offer if you're looking for a game suitable for short sessions – longer ones will get boring. [1/2013, p.69]
  3. Jan 6, 2013
    With its limited customization, uniform enemy AI, and ineffectual weapons, Cargo Commander tightly constrains the player's tactical and strategic options, no matter the mode. The game may be set in deep space, but Cargo Commander's gameplay feels like it's trapped in a box.